PDA

View Full Version : Child Labour in India

Fridge
26th August 2008, 03:03 AM
I just watched this sad documentary on T.V

Kids working so hard, on Jewelry, saris and mining areas cutting up stone. I guess the worse part was when they had still be faced with the camera. a lot of kids were crying cos they were scared of the journalists or had been told horror stories by their employers.

Some of these kids look very settled in their lives earning a living at 8years old. I do not support child labour and believe that every child deserves a childhood and education, yet I am wondering what happens to the child when he is taken out of this situation? where does he then get his food and shelter? id there government support?

I saw a scene where the parents had no idea were the kids were and were so happy to be reunited with their children, That part looked a bit shaky, I cannot not imagine not knowing where my child is?

So what is the situation like on the inside, Is it true that there 10 million children in india who fall in the category child slavery.

I also heard that some medical students have 'houshold help' in the student dorm.. washing up their cloths and cooking etc.. in the form of little children. Is this true

I do not mean to be critical, I have never been to India and just trying to work out the emotional documentary I have just seen. I also beleive that awareness makes a difference.

app_engine
26th August 2008, 08:05 PM
IMO, there are at least two major categories of child labor in India. One with parents' consent (even with their push, due to abject poverty) and the other those of "stolen" children.

Perhaps those shown in the program where the parents were happy to see their children was the case of stolen children. During our childhood, there was always this threat of "piLLai pidikkiRavan" and some new comers to our village have even been beaten up by mistake. I have heard horror stories of some boys who have escaped from such slavery.

There was this man who came to our home telling that my dad is in the nearby village purchasing some agricultural produce. He asked me to be sent with him carrying a gunny sack & money ( I was possibly in 4th or 5th grade then). Unsuspecting, my mom sent me with him in his cycle, as it was not unusual for my dad to send like that, as he was well known as 'kaNakku vAththiyAr' in a number of villages in that area.

Well, after a mile or so, he dropped me off his bike asking me to go home. We have never before or again seen that man (and my dad never sent him either). Good that he ran away with only money and not me:-)

sarna_blr
26th August 2008, 08:20 PM
Well, after a mile or so, he dropped me off his bike asking me to go home. We have never before or again seen that man (and my dad never sent him either). Good that he ran away with only money and not me:-)

:shock: :omg:

I too have heard abt pillai pidikkuravan :oops: even in the movie VILLAIN, they have scenes abt this :oops: