PDA

View Full Version : Grilled and Mashed Aubergines

kittykat
6th January 2005, 08:06 PM
Hi All,

I tried this recipe last night and turned out really good.

Aubergines/Large EggPlants (As known in US) - 3
Ginger/Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Shallots or Large onions - 1/2 cup chopped finely.
Green Chillies - 5 Chopped briefly
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urd dhal - 1tsp
Curry leaves - few
Salt to taste.

Preheat the grill gas mark 7, place the whole aubergines under the hot grill and ocassionally turn them around until the skin has gone brown and the aubergine is nice and soft, it takes about 1/2 an hour to get them nicely cooked on the inside. Remove from the grill and let it cool. Once the aubergines are cool enough to handle with bare hands, trim the stem and peel the skin. You could also cut the aubergine lengthwise and scoop the flesh from inside. Mash the fleshy bit with a hand blender, add some salt and set aside.

Heat about 2 spoons of oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, urid dhal, curry leaves and then the ginger/garlic paste, add the green chillies , cut shallots and fry until golden, now add the mashed aubergines and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from fire.

This was more of a chutney consistency and it tasted very good, I had it with hot paruppu sadam last night. I think it will also go well with dosa and idli's. I also made a sandwich out of it for lunch today, its a real filler!! Hope you all like it.

Thanks,
Kitty