PDA

View Full Version : Good news of the day - i.e. possibly good :-)

app_engine
28th August 2008, 02:21 AM
This TN scientist has supposedly invented a cooking gas that's less expensive than the regular LPG.

http://dinamalar.com/fpnnews.asp?News_id=1640&cls=row3

Querida
28th August 2008, 04:17 AM
A possible cure for diabetes
By Mike Nagle

It has long been known that diabetes mellitus is characterised by a lack of insulin, the hormone secreted by the pancreas to break down carbohydrates to use as energy. However, it is only with this research that scientists at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids), allied with the University of Toronto, Canada, have discovered that it is damage to nociception (pain-related) nerve cells in the pancreas that prevents the body from producing insulin.

read more at: http://www.labtechnologist.com/Industry-Drivers/A-possible-cure-for-diabetes

Anoushka
29th August 2008, 01:38 AM
Thanks app_engine :)

and Q :) interesting news... my dad has been a diabetic for more than 30 years now.. I wonder if something like this can reverse his diabetes now..

Querida
29th August 2008, 02:29 AM

and Q :) interesting news... my dad has been a diabetic for more than 30 years now.. I wonder if something like this can reverse his diabetes now..

My father and now my mother...and other close relatives all have diabetes....and I feel awful each time I have to pester my Appa especially about his eating habits... :cry: so yup hope there more progress made!

Querida
29th August 2008, 02:38 AM
Going With the Flow

This week a 12-year-old girl from Virgina got a nice chunk of change for a simple yet brilliant invention: a "water watcher" device that can be put on a faucet or showerhead and tells you how much water has been used up with sound and light. Elizabeth Rintels won BKFK's $10,000 grand prize for green ideas and also an opportunity to shadow an expert from the 11th Hour Action website. (BKFK is a company that runs contests for young innovators, primarily teens. The 11th Hour Action site is a community gathering around Leo DiCaprio's film of the same name.)

Like many of us, Elizabeth realized just how much water we use when you add up all the gallons coming out of the faucet--the average American actually flushes more down the toilet than the average person in Mozambique uses during an entire day. She came up with a way to help change our behavior. Every time a half gallon goes through the faucet or showerhead, the device flashes red and makes a beep. I like the idea, but would probably do better with an automatic shutoff in the shower that gives me a brief warning before it cuts the flow. Another helpful device for reducing water usage: aerators.

NOV
29th August 2008, 06:06 AM
Natural therapy for heart vein opening.

Please pass it to your family members, colleagues or friends.

For Heart Vein opening :

1) Lemon juice 01 cup
2) Ginger juice 01 cup
3) Garlic juice 01 cup
4) Apple vinegar 01 cup

Mix all above and boil in light flame approximately half hour, when it becomes 3 cups, take it out and keep it
for cooling. After cooling, mix 3 cups of natural honey and keep it in bottle.

Every morning before breakfast use one Table spoon regularly. Your blockage of Vein's will open
(No need any Angiography or By pass)

Roshan
29th August 2008, 01:04 PM

For Heart Vein opening :

1) Lemon juice 01 cup
2) Ginger juice 01 cup
3) Garlic juice 01 cup
4) Apple vinegar 01 cup

Mix all above and boil in light flame approximately half hour, when it becomes 3 cups, take it out and keep it

Every morning before breakfast use one Table spoon regularly. Your blockage of Vein's will open

What is apple vinegar :confused2: Apple juice and vinegar mixed or something else? :roll:

P_R
29th August 2008, 01:19 PM
India's first frozen-egg baby born (http://www.thehindu.com/2008/08/29/stories/2008082960580600.htm)

thilak4life
29th August 2008, 01:23 PM
India's first frozen-egg baby born (http://www.thehindu.com/2008/08/29/stories/2008082960580600.htm)

unreal. Thanks for posting.

NOV
29th August 2008, 01:32 PM
What is apple vinegar :confused2: http://altmedicine.about.com/od/applecidervinegardiet/a/applecidervineg.htm

Can be bought at pharmacies.

Roshan
29th August 2008, 02:02 PM
What is apple vinegar :confused2: http://altmedicine.about.com/od/applecidervinegardiet/a/applecidervineg.htm

Can be bought at pharmacies.

padmanabha
29th August 2008, 02:05 PM
BBC forced to make musicians keep volume down
London (PTI): The BBC has been forced to make musicians keep the volume down to comply with an EU safety directive to ensure performers are not exposed to excessive levels of noise. EU noise control officers have been monitoring rehearsals to ensure orchestras keep below 140 decibels. They are demanding that performers ease off on extra-loud crescendos during the Proms concerts series to protect their hearing.

Proms is short for promenade concerts, a term which arose from the original practice of audience members promenading, or strolling, in some areas of the concert hall during the recital. Under an EU directive, passed in April this year, the BBC is responsible for making sure performers are not exposed to excessive levels of noise.

"If they go over this danger level we have to ask them to play more quietly," a spokesman was quoted as saying by the Daily Telegraph newspaper today. The health and safety police has forced the corporation to erect screens between the musicians and hand out earplugs to make sure performers are not exposed to excessive noise, the report said.

The world service has also had to transport musicians to larger rehearsal spaces so that the two-month long programme at the Royal Albert Hall in London meets European standards. This years programme, which runs from July 18 to September 13, is the biggest classical music festival in the world.

The Proms, which were founded in 1895, now comprise more than 70 concerts in the Albert Hall, a series of eight chamber concerts and four Saturday matinees at Cadogan Hall, additional Proms in the Park events across the UK on the last night, and associated educational and childrens events.

NOV
10th September 2008, 07:19 AM

For Heart Vein opening :

1) Lemon juice 01 cup
2) Ginger juice 01 cup
3) Garlic juice 01 cup
4) Apple vinegar 01 cup

Further to above, a doctor's advise ....

In the first place you don't die of blocked veins. Heart attacks are caused by poor diet, smoking and lack of exercise resulting in stiffening and narrowing of arteries with cholesterol build up. No amount of lemon juice and apple cider vinegar is going to clear that up if you dont change the lifestyle.

An angiogram is a picture of your bloodvessels that shows narrowing and blockage. If there is no problem there is no need for any further procedure. If there is narrowing more than a certain percentage and less than 3 vessels, balloon angioplasty can be done at the same time. If more than 3 vessels are affected the patient will need a bypass.

These are life saving procedures and must be done if the patient experiences chest pain, shortness of breath on exertion, cold sweats and giddiness. As you can see the guy from the soft ware company had all the risk factors and was asked to change his lifestyle. Thats the way to go.

There are no short cuts to health but there are lots to hell.

Dr Vicky

Sanguine Sridhar
10th September 2008, 12:17 PM

My father and now my mother...and other close relatives all have diabetes....and I feel awful each time I have to pester my Appa especially about his eating habits... :cry: so yup hope there more progress made!

Oh then you need to be careful too! What I would suggest is go for a medical check up when you are 30. In my case my father is a diabetic and my mother has low sugar, I am expecting it to be in neutral :mrgreen:

padmanabha
13th September 2008, 05:34 AM
Bed sharing 'drains men's brains' :o
Sharing a bed with someone could temporarily reduce your brain power - at least if you are a man - Austrian scientists suggest.
When men spend the night with a bed mate their sleep is disturbed, whether they make love or not, and this impairs their mental ability the next day.

The lack of sleep also increases a man's stress hormone levels.

According to the New Scientist study, women who share a bed fare better because they sleep more deeply.

Sleepless nights

Professor Gerhard Kloesch and colleagues at the University of Vienna studied eight unmarried, childless couples in their 20s.

Each couple was asked to spend 10 nights sleeping together and 10 apart while the scientists assessed their rest patterns with questionnaires and wrist activity monitors.

The next day the couples were asked to perform simple cognitive tests and had their stress hormone levels checked.

Sharing the bed space with someone who is making noises and who you have to fight with for the duvet is not sensible
Professor Neil Stanley, a sleep expert at the University of Surrey

Although the men reported they had slept better with a partner, they fared worse in the tests, with their results suggesting they actually had more disturbed sleep.

Both sexes had a more disturbed night's sleep when they shared their bed, Professor Kloesch told a meeting of the Forum of European Neuroscience.

But women apparently managed to sleep more deeply when they did eventually drop off, since they claimed to be more refreshed than their sleep time suggested.

Their stress hormone levels and mental scores did not suffer to the same extent as the men.

But the women still reported that they had the best sleep when they were alone in bed.

Bed sharing also affected dream recall. Women remembered more after sleeping alone and men recalled best after sex.

Separate beds

Dr Neil Stanley, a sleep expert at the University of Surrey, said: "It's not surprising that people are disturbed by sleeping together.

"Historically, we have never been meant to sleep in the same bed as each other. It is a bizarre thing to do.

"Sleep is the most selfish thing you can do and it's vital for good physical and mental health.

"Sharing the bed space with someone who is making noises and who you have to fight with for the duvet is not sensible.

"If you are happy sleeping together that's great, but if not there is no shame in separate beds."

He said there was a suggestion that women are pre-programmed to cope better with broken sleep.

"A lot of life events that women have disturb sleep - bringing up children, the menopause and even the menstrual cycle," he explained.

But Dr Stanley added people did get used to sharing a bed.

"If they have shared their bed with their partner for a long time they miss them and that will disturb sleep."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/health/5197440.stm

Shakthiprabha.
13th September 2008, 08:09 AM
:roll:

Lambretta
13th September 2008, 05:40 PM
Coming soon: cars that can shrink and make u-turns on the spot!
:o :)

London, September 12 (ANI): Cars that can shrink into tight parking spaces, are wind-powered, and can even do a u-turn on the spot are among the 29 vehicles that have made the shortlist for the Peugeot Design Contest 2008.

The list even includes a car that can bend in the middle to allow the driver a better view of the road ahead, and a two-wheeler that is operated by a joystick rather than a steering wheel.

Participants in the event were told to concentrate on environmental awareness, social harmony, interactive mobility and economic efficiency, while retaining the Peugeot style.

Ying Hui Choo, a participant from Singapore, said that his Peugeot Blade is designed for "pure driving enjoyment".

"The Peugeot Blade is the first car of its kind to harness a resource most cars are designed to evade - air itself. It makes use of the air moving across its body to turn a wind turbine designed to generate electricity. The faster the car goes, the faster the windmill turns, the more electricity it will create to feed the electric motor, hence lengthening the electric car's range and efficiency," the Telegraph quoted him as saying.

Turkish designer Emre Yazici has designed a two-wheel, lightweight electric car for a single passenger, which needs just a third of the parking space used by a typical saloon car.

Another quality of his car is that it can do a u-turn on the spot.

The flexible windshield also operates as a door by rolling back into the drum at the back of the car.

"Say goodbye to the clumsy and unsafe steering wheel, and also to the pedals. The driver employs a joystick to perform the manoeuvres, and to control the speed simultaneously," he said.

Two French designers - Woo-Ram Lee and Argentine Esteban Peisci - have created cars that run on three spheres rather than traditional wheels.

People can vote for their favourite design on the Peugeot website, and the winning design will be picked by Peugeot from 10 finalists and will be announced on October 2 at the Paris Motor Show. (ANI)

Source: http://in.news.yahoo.com/139/20080912/981/tsc-coming-soon-cars-that-can-shrink-and.html

app_engine
16th September 2008, 07:10 PM
http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=438962&disdate=9/16/2008

Finally some emergency service by Govt. in TN:-) I think this '108' service is similiar to the '911' in U.S.

Lambretta
16th September 2008, 10:58 PM
http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=438962&disdate=9/16/2008

Finally some emergency service by Govt. in TN:-) I think this '108' service is similiar to the '911' in U.S.
We've already got 108 service here in AP. Good to know they are present in otehr states as well! :)

ajithfederer
17th September 2008, 12:34 AM
A general note to app_engine and others who post articles from various websites: Please post the contents as many don't have the facility of viewing the contents due to various constraints.

Thanks in advance :).

app_engine
17th September 2008, 01:17 AM
A general note to app_engine and others who post articles from various websites: Please post the contents as many don't have the facility of viewing the contents due to various constraints.

Thanks in advance :).

ajithfederer,
will try to do as much as possible. However, websites like dailythanthi use their custom font and not unicode, so copy/paste of the relevant portions is difficult sometimes.

The news article above talks about the starting of "EMERGENCY" services for public by the state govt. in a number of TN cities. Public can dial 108 (like they dial 911 in U.S.) to get emergency vehicle coming to their rescue - accidents / heart-attack etc. And this service is without charge!

Designer
25th September 2008, 07:43 PM
[tscii:56a932b8dc]http://www.hindu.com/2008/09/25/stories/2008092560790400.htm

// 'Anniyan' scenes nyabagathukku varuthu. //

Compensation awarded

K.T.Sangameswaran

CHENNAI: The State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) has recommended to the Tamil Nadu Government to pay a compensation of Rs.one lakh to a person whose 14-year-old hearing and speech impaired son was electrocuted.

The Electricity Board officials had miserably failed to prove their onus that they were not at fault and liability for the incident, an SHRC Bench comprising A. R. Selvakumar and S. Paramasivan, Members, said in its order.

After paying the compensation, the government should recover Rs.30,000 from Sundaramoorthy, Assistant Engineer, Operation and Maintenance, East, Guduvancheri and Rs.10,000 from Chittarai, wireman of the same area, as per rules. The government should bear the balance of Rs.60,000 on moral obligation.

D. Subramanian of Kottai village, Vandavasi taluk in Tiruvannamalai district, complained to the Commission seeking compensation due to the “sudden and suspicious” death of his son, Anbarasan, who was studying in a special school at Guduvancheri, in 2006. In its report to the Commission, its investigation wing submitted the boy’s death was due to electrocution. Through their counter-affidavit, the board officials submitted that the AE soon after coming to know of the accident on August 9, 2006 through the wireman rushed to the spot and found that the wires of the low tension feeder of Nandivaram transformer had got snapped due to heavy rain and wind. The counter said the tragedy occurred due to “unforeseen facts and circumstances and due to act of God” which were beyond the officials’ control. The Bench said that from the evidence it was transparent that the death of the boy was due to electrocution. It was a settled proposition of law that the burden of proof in matters of this nature that there was no negligence, rested upon the board authorities. No register or record was produced by the officials to show that the transformer and electrical wires in question were subjected to periodical checks and replacements were made then and there. Also, material was not placed to enlighten that precautionary steps were taken to prevent untoward incidents during the heavy rain and strong wind. The Commission held that the respondents violated human rights.[/tscii:56a932b8dc]

ajithfederer
26th September 2008, 09:09 AM
http://www.project10tothe100.com/index.html

Project 10100 (pronounced "Project 10 to the 100th") is a call for ideas to change the world by helping as many people as possible. Here's how to join in.

:clap:

app_engine
30th September 2008, 12:54 AM
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Reporter/2008-10-02/pg10.php

A report on how a school master in a remote village in TN took special interest in the children of 'narikkuRavarkaL' and made them get literacy.

app_engine
22nd October 2008, 08:06 PM
Hitendran's mom spends a few moments with the girl who got the donor heart...

http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=445876&disdate=10/22/2008

Vivasaayi
22nd October 2008, 08:17 PM
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Reporter/2008-10-02/pg10.php

A report on how a school master in a remote village in TN took special interest in the children of 'narikkuRavarkaL' and made them get literacy.

:clap:

app_engine
7th November 2008, 10:25 PM
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2008-11-12/pg27.php

From the above article which is titled 'தேனூர் சிவாஜி' :

=====
படித்தது இன்ஜினீயரிங். பார்த்தது அமெரிக்காவில் உள்ள டெட்ராய்ட்டில் சாஃப்ட்வேர் இன்ஜினீயர் வேலை. சம்பளம் மூன்று வருடத்திற்கு முன் மாதம் நான்கு லட்சம்...
பேங்கில் பேலன்ஸ் கோடிகளை நெருங்கும்போது மனதில் சின்ன குறுகுறுப்பு. பட்டென வேலையை விட்டார். திருச்சிக்குத் திரும்பினார் செந்தில்குமார்.
`உனக்கென்ன பைத்தியமா பிடிச்சிட்டு!' என்று உறவுக்காரர்கள் முதல், நண்பர்கள் வரை பலரும் ஆலோசனைகளையும், ஆற்றாமையையும் அள்ளிக்கொட்ட, எதையும் காதில் வாங்கிக்கொள்ளாமல் கிராமம் கிராமமாக சைக்கிளில் அலைந்திருக்கிறார் செந்தில்குமார். இறுதியாக தேனூரில் தன் வாழ்க்கையை செட்டிலாக்க முடிவு செய்தார்.
விவசாயம், வேலை, சாலை என சகலத்திலும் பின்தங்கிய ஒரு குக்கிராமத்தில் சாஃப்ட்வேர் இன்ஜினீயர் ஒருவர் செட்டிலாகி சாதிக்க என்ன இருக்கும்?
முதல்கட்டமாக சின்னதாக ஒரு மருத்துவமனை, ஒரு கம்ப்யூட்டர் சென்டர். சிறுவர் சிறுமிகளுக்கு ஒரு மரத்தடி பாடசாலை என தன் கைக்காசை செலவழித்து காரியங்களில் இவர் இறங்க, இன்று ஒட்டுமொத்த கிராமமும் செந்தில்குமாரை `எங்க ஊர் சிவாஜி!' என்கின்றனர்.
=====

அட!
வாழ்க!!

app_engine
15th November 2008, 01:01 AM
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2008-11-19/pg26.php

Woman accepts to donate brain-dead husband's organs without any publicity / fanfare!

app_engine
15th November 2008, 01:05 AM
http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2008-11-19/pg27.php

குப்பையில் கிடைத்த ரத்தினம்.

The moving story of a poor lady (with a drunkard husband) adopting a baby thrown into dustbin outside Trichy hospital.

app_engine
23rd December 2008, 03:46 AM
http://dinamalar.com/pothunewsdetail.asp?News_id=9480&cls=&ncat=TN

The 8th grade boy from Dindigul who helped avert a huge train accident (as per this news report "sahAnA style") is getting gallantry award:-)

app_engine
29th December 2008, 09:40 PM
நேற்று வரை மக்கள் பிரச்னைகளுக்காக அரசு அதிகாரிகளுக்கு மனு அனுப்பிய ஒருவர் திடீரென ஒருநாள் அந்த அதிகாரிகளுக்கெல்லாம் உத்தரவு போடுபவராக மாற முடியுமா? ஷங்கர் படங்களில் மட்டுமே சாத்திய-மான இந்த அதிசயத்தை சைலேஷ் காந்தி நிஜமாகவே நடத்திக் காட்டியிருக்கிறார். மும்பையைச் சேர்ந்த இவர் தகவல் உரிமை சட்டம் மூலமாகக் கேள்விகள் எழுப்பியே, அரசு அலுவலகங்களில் நடந்த பல முறைகேடுகளுக்கும் ஊழல்களுக்கும் ஆப்பு வைத்தவர். மிகச் சாதாரண ஆளான சைலேஷ் இன்று மத்திய தகவல் ஆணையர். மூத்த அரசியல்வாதியும் மாஜி அரசு அதிகாரியும் அல்லாத ஒருவர் இந்தப் பதவியை வகிப்பது இதுவே முதல் முறை.

:-)

http://www.kumudam.com/magazine/Kumudam/2008-12-31/pg37.php

app_engine
30th January 2009, 03:05 AM
http://dinamalar.com/Topnewsdetail.asp?News_id=833

Picture of the boy who received the gallantry award (for helping avoid a train accident)...

app_engine
30th January 2009, 09:55 PM
Student who left engineering to work in his father's saloon got helped by news report - assistance pouring in...
http://dinamalar.com/fpnnews.asp?News_id=2886&cls=row3

app_engine
2nd February 2009, 02:43 AM
Bhupathi - Mirza wins mixed grand slam (aussie open) doubles:-)

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jsDtRT2TII5rbqCPYyt9P9Ha_XMwD962K8F00

blahblah
2nd February 2009, 02:18 PM
Supposedly invented and possible cure !

We Indians are yet not out of touch with Jyothishis! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought that this nation was making itself visible in the world and with very pathetic people around it has a soul. I need to rethink. :roll: :oops:

blahblah
2nd February 2009, 02:21 PM
[quote="padmanabha"]BBC forced to make musicians keep volume down
]

Depends on the musician! :D

NM
3rd February 2009, 08:06 AM
//digression//...blah blah...is it really you??? :shock: after such a long time.. :( //end digr//

Roshan
3rd February 2009, 08:33 AM
//digression//...blah blah...is it really you??? :shock: after such a long time.. :( //end digr//

Yeah NM it is certainly our good old friend blahblah :)

Sarna
2nd July 2009, 11:10 AM
Dear Friends,

If you have come across any bright students coming from poor financial background who have finished their 10th standard this year (April 2009) and scored more than 80%,
please ask them to contact the NGO-Prerana (supported by Infosys foundation).
The NGO is conducting a written test and those who clear the test will be eligible for financial help for their further studies.
Please ask the students to contact the people mentioned below to get the form
#580,shubhakar,44th cross,1st ‘A’ main road, jayanagar 7th block Bangalore-mob no- 9900906338(saraswati)
Mr.Shivkumar (9986630301) - Hanumanthnagar office
Ms.Bindu (9964534667) - Yeshwantpur office

Even if you don’t know anyone, please pass on this info, some one might be in need of this help desperately.