PDA

View Full Version : Last help / nice thing that you've rendered to someone:-)

app_engine
17th September 2008, 01:24 AM
Like last song- last movie, let's post the latest good deed that we've done recently.

Ofcourse it's true that boasting is not good in this area as per the principle "the left hand should not know what help the right hand has rendered". However, web gives anonymity of the recipient of the kind deed. In addition, those posting may get some psychological high while not being bombastic and may also indirectly encourage others to do similar charitable things.

If there's any other thread of this type in the forum already, please revive and we can delete this one.

nirosha sen
19th September 2008, 03:59 PM
Well I teach English and Literature in English to students in govt. schools; particularly in the rural areas, wherever my hubby's posting takes him.

Does it count? :roll:

app_engine
19th September 2008, 06:18 PM
Ofcourse YES, nirosha sen!

You're doing a great job! There's a saying in Thamizh "எழுத்தறிவித்தவன் இறைவன் ஆவான்', roughly translated as 'teaching one the alphabets is divine'.

I think most hubbers are not posting here because of such thoughts ("is this a big deal, just a small help" etc.)

Please post everything - small or big - and that'll not only give you a high but encourage others to pursue such traits!

A simple one yesterday for me at the local Kroger store:

I was trying to get some turkey slices for my son's lunch sandwich and noticed a senior citizen - about 80 - looking for the turkey breast on sale. He asked me whether I'd seen it and I looked around and told him couldn't find.

I could see the obvious disappointment in his face (possibly a great deal of effort to drive again to the store at this age, or may be streching every dollar because of limited funds etc) and he even talked to the store assistant who replied 'if it's not there, then they're gone'.

Well, I located that 99c a pound thing (marked down 50%) at an unexpected location in the same store, searched for that old man and brought him to that place. One should see how his eyes lit up and he thanked so many times, happily loading 2 packets in his cart:-)

He probably saved around $12 in those two packets (or another trip next day to search)! I spent nothing but a minute max in looking for him in the store, but what a sense of satisfaction!

app_engine
19th September 2008, 06:30 PM
Another thing that came to my mind (happened a few weeks back) -

This Punjabi lady who sits across my cube in the workplace (can't see but can hear her talking 75% of the day on phone or with someone in Hindilish), seemed to be struggling to get something from a text file into excel in a required form. Some of her team mates have been visiting giving her tips, trying different things - and this was going on for almost an hour and I could overhear their irritated, disappointed sighing each time they failed.

Well it was already 5.30 and could sense her frustration as she had to complete and leave and I decided to listen to their conversation for a few minutes.

Well, I knew one work-around, even though not using excel, so walked around the cubes to get there and see two boys struggling along with her to get this resolved:-) It took 2 min for her to download the Crimson editor (a free text editor, poor man's Ultraedit) with "column mode" capability. In another few minutes, could select whatever needed from the text file, paste into excel and get her job done. All three thanked me for giving the tip on "column mode text editor" and while it costed me nothing but their smiles meant a lot of 'earnings':-)

Thalafanz
19th September 2008, 06:35 PM
Indeed a great help. :)

it costed me nothing but their smiles meant a lot:-) - :cool:

NOV
20th September 2008, 07:42 PM
This is about something I did, that made me happy... :P

I was nominated to be a Vice-President of a caste-based organisation this morning (third highest post). The meeting is to be held tomorrow morning. Something disturbed me. My proposers justified by saying that it was a community service organisation and charity can be in any form.

Anyway, I listened to my inner voice and withdrew completely. When I made that decision, it felt like a big burden had been removed from my shoulder and I actually physically feel better.

I don't want to be judgemental about my friends, but my conscience didn't allow it. Just thought of sharing it here, altho it doesnt seem to quite fit with the theme of the thread. :)

So PR, Oscar Wilde was wrong. :P

P_R
20th September 2008, 09:03 PM
So PR, Oscar Wilde was wrong. :P
eh ? :?

app_engine
21st September 2008, 03:34 AM
Bravo, NOV! Good decision and your conscience is well-trained in this aspect:-)

thriinone
24th September 2008, 09:52 AM
Had simple engagement for my daughter and donated food to mudhiyor illam on the same day.

app_engine
25th September 2008, 11:51 PM
Had simple engagement for my daughter and donated food to mudhiyor illam on the same day.

மிக நல்ல செயல்!

வாழ்த்துகள்!!