PDA

View Full Version : Random musings

vibinrajmani
26th September 2008, 11:46 AM
[tscii:e997a22524]“And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.”
Abraham Lincoln

So, sometimes people wonder what life is or what it is all about. Sure, life is like a box of chocolates but I’m afraid it isn’t that simple. Life is this elaborate intricate weaving of events which shape you into the person you become.

Examples:

What is life?
Losing a ping pong match to a tiny Asian girl in middle school PE class and unintentionally rear-ending her car four years later in high school and avoiding her like the bubonic plague every time you see her in college!!

What is life?
When your family forgets your ninth birthday and you receive a phone call from one of your cousins from out of country wishing you a happy birthday and your obsession with remembering years and dates begin!!

What is life?
A minor speech impediment which holds you back from having a normal childhood with the constant fear of how you will be perceived and as a direct result you restrain yourself from experiencing the outside world and your childhood is spent on “Goosebumps” and “Animorphs!!”

What is life?
Getting chased by dogs of all shapes and sizes your whole life!!

What is life?
Making a fool out of yourself on your first ever date by talking about underwear brands out of nervousness and you are given the chance at a second date which then blossoms into your first love!!

What is life?
At fifteen you take your mom’s car for a drive around the neighborhood and you get lost and after two hours of the most liberating experience of your life, you are welcomed by the sight of cops, worried neighbors, and a crying mom on your doorstep and your love for long drives takes fold from that eventful day!!

What if life?
Thinking that conducting an experiment on urine’s effect on green grass /will it cause discoloration, might fetch you a prize at the middle school science fair and making up for that blunder by brilliantly conceiving a project on REM sleep and dreams in high school turning into one of your proudest achievements!!

What is life?
Receiving a phone call which informs you that your grandmother had suffered a stroke and she is living her last days!!

What is life?
The immense satisfaction of helping the less fortunate in every regard and putting a smile on their faces!!

What is life?
“It’s the economy, stupid!”

What is life?
Fooling yourself into believing that it could still happen while there is absolutely no chance of whatever it is that you think will happen!!

What is life?
You are constantly reminded that you are a “Dukakis” clone by your Political-Science friends just because your political views lack “passion” and your view on capital punishment is “spineless.”

What is life?
Staring into the vast empty space and wondering the eternal question of all time, “What is life?”

What is life?
If you still don’t know what life is, well, LiFe is simply the metals lithium and iron.
[/tscii:e997a22524]

Shakthiprabha.
29th January 2009, 04:33 PM
I didn't know where else to post.
This thread title suggested its wide scope.

Ive always wondered, is MADHAVI (silapathikaram madhavi) a kannadiga.

'cauvery madhavi' is what they refer her as.

Any facts? any ideas about her actual background?

P_R
29th January 2009, 04:53 PM
PersonalA pazhakkamillai, padichchavaraikkum thamizh dhaan nu ninaikkuREn.

CilappatikAram is dated somewhere in the 6th century. The story was probably older. That kind of coincides with the earliest available dates for the Kannada language (around 5th-6th century). Whether a distinct Kannada linguistic identity existed at that time, I am not sure.

And the dancing forms she is shown to be an expert of are all distinctly Tamil (are they ?). In fact those portions are basic references for Tamil dance culture. So I guess it is as Tamil as it gets.

Regarding Kaveri, are you suggesting it was her adaimozhi ? I don't remember reading so. Even then, kAveri is very much part of Tamil culture, isn't it/

sarna_blr
29th January 2009, 04:54 PM
SP akka, there is difference between THAMIZHAN and THAMIZHACHI :) same way KANNADIGA and KANNADATHI :)

Shakthiprabha.
29th January 2009, 05:01 PM
sarna, oh okei :)

pr,

convincing :?
I supp, looking at the era, Its right to very much doubt the seperate existence of the province.

Shakthiprabha.
29th January 2009, 05:07 PM
Even then, kAveri is very much part of Tamil culture, isn't it

A related article credted to google search.

_____

Tamil literature hails the Cauvery in fine poesy. Silappadhikaram takes place in Poompuhar, the city where the Cauvery finally merges with the sea. This city was destroyed by a tsunami a millennium ago, and now underwater exploration has brought to light plenty of artefacts regarding the presence of Poompuhar's glory. Silappadhikaram has immortalised the river in a romantic scene involving Kovalan and Madhavi.

______

Kannadasan refers her as

CAUVERY madhavi in "athisaya raagam"

I had always had the doubt because of these lines.

sarna_blr
29th January 2009, 05:14 PM
CilappatikAram is dated somewhere in the 6th century. The story was probably older. That kind of coincides with the earliest available dates for the Kannada language (around 5th-6th century). Whether a distinct Kannada linguistic identity existed at that time, I am not sure.

http://www.kamat.com/kalranga/kar/literature/history1.htm
But since none of the earlier works have survived, we have to stick to the established norm that written Kannada came into vogue by the 5th century A.D.

SP akka's doubt might be true :? because Madhavi is very common name naming for Kannadathi's.... but in tamizh its a rare case I guess :roll:

Shakthiprabha.
29th January 2009, 05:16 PM
ah!!!

debate survivves?

mgb
29th January 2009, 05:56 PM
Isnt Chilapathikaram written in 1st Century ? In that case the actual story would have happened even before that :)

P_R
29th January 2009, 06:04 PM
Isnt Chilapathikaram written in 1st Century ? In that case the actual story would have happened even before that :)
adhu periya panchAyathu.

6th century-nnu sonnadhukkAgavE naan thamizh droginnu sollappadalAm. But I guess most scholars have kinda settled on 6th century as the most reasonable date.

podalangai can confirm.

sarna_blr
29th January 2009, 06:06 PM

http://www.tamilnation.org/literature/cilapathikaram.htm

mgb
29th January 2009, 06:07 PM
wiki says it is 1st Century..

also see this link http://www.tamilnation.org/literature/cilapathikaram.htm

mgb
29th January 2009, 06:23 PM

I have heard Madhavi's birth place as Thirukadaiyur :)

Roshan
29th January 2009, 08:37 PM

Thirukkadaiyur enga irukku ?

app_engine
29th January 2009, 08:39 PM
First of all, does silappadhikAram really capture a historical event with some imaginative additions or was it a 100% imaginative story?

Is there a way to even establish that in the first place before concluding where Madhavi lived?

(To me the part about Kannagi burning Madurai sounds like a typical mythological story)

Roshan
29th January 2009, 09:13 PM
First of all, does silappadhikAram really capture a historical event with some imaginative additions or was it a 100% imaginative story?

Is there a way to even establish that in the first place before concluding where Madhavi lived?

(To me the part about Kannagi burning Madurai sounds like a typical mythological story)

I was about to say this. I have the same doubts with regard to all 5 kAppiyams.

Vivasaayi
29th January 2009, 09:18 PM
i think it was story written by ilangovadigal on a real story he has heard.

mgb
30th January 2009, 01:13 PM

Thirukkadaiyur enga irukku ?It is in nagapattinam district in the east coast :)

Sanguine Sridhar
30th January 2009, 01:28 PM
Thirukadayur is near to Mayiladuthurai [which is near to Kumbakonam]. 60-ஆம் கல்யாணம் அங்க தான் பன்னுவாங்க.

NOV
7th February 2010, 06:31 PM
When Snake is alive, Snake eat Ants.

When Snake is dead, Ants eat Snake.

NOV
7th February 2010, 06:44 PM
A good way to change someone's attitude is to change our own. Because, the same sun that melts butter, also hardens clay!

19thmay
7th February 2010, 07:50 PM
When Snake is alive, Snake eat Ants.

When Snake is dead, Ants eat Snake.

But people from China eats everything!

I saw one video eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :sigh2:

NOV
29th April 2010, 02:36 PM
I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly.

As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon?

I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60 &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.

They, too, will get old.
I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car?

But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore.
I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become.

I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day(if I feel like it).

pavalamani pragasam
29th April 2010, 02:56 PM
:clap: :thumbsup:

P_R
29th April 2010, 02:57 PM
So, to answer your question :?

Surya
2nd May 2010, 07:01 PM
[tscii:335acf46c8]R[/tscii:335acf46c8]acial Germans (Aryans) have always been a powerful force in the Human race...

Atlantis, The Vikings, The Roman Empire, The Radical Change they apparently brought to the people in the Indian Subcontinent, and last but Not in anyway least....The Third Reich!

All throughout history, they've excelled, fought, won, conquered, and Destroyed.

Even though, you can't help but be relieved that they're under control now (Europe still keeps an eye on the German people. In the second half of the last decade, right before the reunification of Germany *After WWII and the fall of The Third Reich, Germany was bisected in 2 pieces. Eastrn and Western Germany, Eastern Germany becoming Communist* the then Prime Minister of England Margaret Thatcher told Soviet President Gorbachev that neither Britain nor Western Europe wanted the reunification of Germany.Similarly, a representative of French President François Mitterrand reportedly told an aide to Gorbachev, "France by no means wants German reunification.) It is sad however to see the ill fated Germany now, when compared to the Super Power that it was for a good portion of Human and European history.....

Surya
2nd May 2010, 07:11 PM
I know Germany isn't ill fated, it's economy is on par with several other superpowers, but Germany isn't a Superpower, it doens't have the dynamism it once did....I read an article a few years ago abt The Rise Of The Forth Reich! :twisted:

Surya
2nd May 2010, 07:37 PM
[tscii:2687a48178]J[/tscii:2687a48178]ust went through a "Reading Chain" on Wikipedia. and came across the following and found it hmmm....interesting:

Look at this Building! This is in the 1930s! :: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/14/Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-15750%2C_Ausstellung_%22Deutsches_Volk-Deutsche_Arbeit%22.jpg/300px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-15750%2C_Ausstellung_%22Deutsches_Volk-Deutsche_Arbeit%22.jpg

In establishing Nazi German racial superiority, Adolf Hitler defined “the Nation” as the highest creation of a race, and that that great nations were the creations of homogeneous populations of great races working together. These nations developed cultures that naturally grew from races with “natural good health, and aggressive, intelligent, courageous traits”. Whereas the weakest nations were those of “impure” or “mongrel races”, because they were disunited. Hitler claimed that lowest races were the parasitic Untermenschen (subhumans), principally the Jews, who were living lebensunwertes Leben (“life-unworthy life”) owing to racial inferiority, and their wandering, nationless invasions of greater nations, such as Germany — thus, either permitting or encouraging national plurality is an obvious mistake.

During World War II, when faced with occupying too much territory with too-few German soldiers, Nazism expanded the Master Race definition to include Dutch and Scandinavian men as superior, German-stock Herrenvolk, in order to recruit them into the Schutzstaffel (SS).

Hitler argued that “races without homelands” were “parasitic races”, and that the richer the parasite race, the more virulent their parasitism. A master race could, therefore, easily strengthen themselves by killing the parasite races in the Heimat. The Herrenvolk philosophic tenet of Nazism rationalized Die Endlösung (the Final Solution), extermination of Jews, Gypsies, Czechs, Poles, the mentally retarded, the crippled, the handicapped, homosexuals and others deemed undesirable. During the Holocaust, the Waffen-SS, Wehrmacht soldiers, and right-wing paramilitary civilian militias killed some 11 million people in Nazi-occupied lands via concentration camps, prisoner-of-war camps, labor camps, and death camps, such as the Auschwitz concentration camp and the Treblinka extermination camp.

Hitler extended his rationalizations into a religious doctrine supported by his criticism of traditional Roman Catholicism. In particular, and closely related to Positive Christianity, he objected to Catholicism because it was not the religion of an exclusive race and its culture. Simultaneously, the Nazis integrated to Nazism the community elements of Lutheranism, from its organic pagan past. Hitlerian theology integrated militarism by proposing that his was a true, master-religion, because it would create mastery by avoiding comforting lies.

Heres one that hits it out of the stadium! :boo:

Some Indians were also influenced by the debate about the Aryan race during the British Raj......Some Indian nationalists supported the British version of the theory because it gave them the prestige of common descent with the ruling British class.

a study conducted by the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology in 2009 (in collaboration with Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Public Health and the Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT) analyzed half a million genetic markers across the genomes of 132 individuals from 25 ethnic groups from 13 states in India across multiple caste groups.[23] The study asserts, based on the impossibility of identifying any genetic indicators across caste lines, that castes in South Asia grew out of traditional tribal organizations during the formation of Indian society, and was not the product of any Aryan invasion and "subjugation" of Dravidian people.

:think: :think:

NOV
2nd May 2010, 07:44 PM
Surya, these are not random musings, they are unpleasant readings :evil:

Surya
2nd May 2010, 07:50 PM
I was just astonished at the role of The Human Subconscious in the minds of some people when they belive with absolute certainty, that they are right, and don't exercise doubt. :P

The Indian Aryan thing was just Interesting, and fun. :D

Anyways, enuf with Nazi Germany. No more posts. :) :lol2:

Surya
8th May 2010, 11:11 AM
Lyrics - One Week : Barenaked Ladies.

Used to listen to this song 10 times a day atleast when i was in 8th Grade! :lol2: Just started listeing to it again....why'd I stop Listening?? :?

It's been one week since you looked at me
Threw your arms in the air and said you're crazy
Five days since you tackled me
I've still got the rug burns on both my knees
It's been three days since the afternoon
You realized it's not my fault not a moment too soon
Yesterday you'd forgiven me
And now I sit back and wait till you say you're sorry

Chickity China the Chinese chicken
You have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin'
Watchin X-Files with no lights on, we're dans la maison
I hope the Smoking Man's in this one
Like Harrison Ford I'm getting Frantic
Like Sting I'm Tantric
Like Snickers, guaranteed to satisfy
Like Kurasawa I make mad films
Okay I don't make films
But if I did they'd have a samurai
Gonna get a set of better clubs
Gonna find the kind with tiny nubs just so my
irons aren't always flying off the back-swing
Gotta get in tune with Sailor Moon
Cause that cartoon has got the boom anime babes
that make me think the wrong thing (So random! :lol: )

How can I help it if I think you're funny when you're mad
Trying hard not to smile though I feel bad
I'm the kind of guy who laughs at a funeral
Can't understand what I mean? You soon will (:lol: )
I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve
I have a history of losing my shirt

It's been one week since you looked at me
Dropped your arms to your sides and said I'm sorry
Five days since I laughed at you
and said You just did just what I thought you were gonna do
Three days since the living room
We realized we're both to blame, but what could we do?
Yesterday you just smiled at me
Cause it'll still be two days till we say we're sorry
It'll still be two days till we say we're sorry
It'll still be two days till we say we're sorry

:musicsmile:

Stiglitz
15th May 2010, 03:22 PM
A COMPLETE LIST OF THE FANTASTIC TRIBES OF ANCIENT GREEK LEGEND

ABARIMONES A tribe of backward footed men who lived somewhere in the Himalayas.

AEGIPANES A tribe of goat-legged and horned men who lived in the Atlas Mountains of Libya.

AMAZONS A tribe of warrior women. :slurp: They fought with Heracles, Theseus and the Greeks during the Trojan War.

ANDROPHAGI (Androphagoi) A tribe of African cannibals who lived entirely on the flesh of men.

ARIMASPIANS (Arimaspoi, Monommatoi) A tribe of one-eyed Scythian men who warred with the Griffins for gold.

ARIMPHAEI (Arimphaioi) A sacred Scythian tribe, blessed like their neighbours the Hyperboreans.

ARTABATITAE (Artabatitai) A tribe of African men who travelled around on all fours like apes.

ASTOMI (Astomoi) A hair-covered and mouthless Indian tribe who lived off the scent of aromatic plants.

ATLANTEANS (Atlantes) The people of the mythical island of Atlantis. (The Supposed Aryan Master Race)

BLEMMYAE (Blemmyai, Sternophthalmoi) A tribe of headless African men whose faces were set upon their chests.

CALINGI (Kalingoi) A tribe of short-lived Indian men who reached maturity at the age of five and died aged eight.

CHOROMANDAE (Khromandai) A tribe of Indian men with hair-covered bodies, dog's teeth and a horrible scream in place of speech. They were basically a type of ape.

CYCLOPES (Kyklopes) A tribe of barbarous, one-eyed giants who shepherded their flocks on the island of Sicily.

CYNOCEPHALI (Kunokephaloi, Hemikunes) A tribe of dog-headed African men.

GEGENEES A tribe of six-armed, earth-born men fought by the Argonauts on Bear Mountain in Mysia.

GORGADES An African tribe whose womenfolk were covered in long hair.

HELIADES A fabulous people who inhabited seven happy islands in the southern ocean. They were almost hairless with bendable bones and a double-tongue which allowed them to hold two conversations at the same time.

HIPPOPODES A tribe of northern European men with horses' feet.

HYPERBOREANS (Hyperboreioi) A fantastic race of long-lived men who lived in a land of eternal spring beyond the north wind.

LAESTRYGONES (Laistrygones) A tribe of cannibal giants native to Italy or northern Europe. They were encountered by Odysseus on his travels.

MACHLYES (Makhlyes) A Libyan tribe of androgynes whose bodies were female on one side and male on the other.

MACROBI (Makroboi) A tribe of long-lived Indian men who were never touched by signs of old age.

MACROCEPHALI (Makrokephaloi) An African tribe of men with long, elongated heads.

MANDI (Mandoi) A race of Indians who grew old and wrinkled shortly after birth.

NULI (Nuloi) An African people with backward-turned, eight-toed feet.

PANDAE (Pandai) A tribe of long-lived Indian men with gigantic ears, eight fingers and toes, and hair covered bodies. The hair was white with youth but changed to black as they aged.

PANOTII (Panotioi) A fabulous northern European tribe with gigantic, body-length ears.

PYGMIES (Pygmaioi) A tribe of diminutive African men just one pygme tall (a pygme being the length from elbow to knuckle on a regular man). They were engaged in an endless war with migrating flocks of cranes.

SCIAPODS (Skiapodes, Steganopodes) A tribe of one-legged, one-footed Libyan men. The Sciapod sheltered himself from the sun beneath a giant, upraised foot. For this reason they were known as Umbrella- or Shadow-Foots.

SCIRITAE (Sikiritai) An Indian tribe with snake-like nostrils in place of the nose, and bandy serpentine legs.

STRUTHOPODES (Strouthopodes) An Indian tribe whose womenfolk had tiny, sparrow-like feet, but whose men grew giant 18 inch long ones.

SYRBOTAE (Syrbotai) A tribe of twelve-foot tall African men.

Some of these Tribes are quite Interesting. 8-) Idhellam vechi 1oK BC Madhiri soooopera oru padam edukalam. 8-)

Raghuram
24th July 2011, 10:09 PM
Shakthiprabha, there was a tamil actress Madhavi (who acted in Raja Parvai with Kamal Hassan), and she was a kannadathi. Whether on this basis you can say that the old Madhavi was also from KRN is doubtful.

harishkumar09
20th March 2012, 07:53 PM
PersonalA pazhakkamillai, padichchavaraikkum thamizh dhaan nu ninaikkuREn.

And the dancing forms she is shown to be an expert of are all distinctly Tamil (are they ?). In fact those portions are basic references for Tamil dance culture. So I guess it is as Tamil as it gets.

Regarding Kaveri, are you suggesting it was her adaimozhi ? I don't remember reading so. Even then, kAveri is very much part of Tamil culture, isn't it/

If the language existed, the identity existed. Remember, in those days there were no nation-states. Rather Kings ruled over a large part of the territory. Kannadigas must have lived under Tamil kings, so that does not mean the identity did not exist.

Rachudevi
21st March 2012, 08:31 AM
Dear Nov,

Just came across this article by yourself.

Thanks for the post. What you wrote is absolutely right.

Infact I was so taken by this post that I copied and e-mail to my dear friends.

Rachudevi

Rachudevi
21st March 2012, 08:38 AM
Dear Nov,

Forgot to say which post. Below is the post I meant. Some words are gem. They are true no matter where and when they are uttered.
Rachudevi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly.

As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon?

I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60 &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.

They, too, will get old.
I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car?

But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore.
I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become.

I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day(if I feel like it).