PDA

View Full Version : Drums Sivamani

R.Latha
3rd December 2008, 12:29 PM
[tscii:1438f300d1]A. R. Rahman Launches Sivamani’s Album

Talented drummer Sivamani has been making waves thanks to his incredible talent behind the drums kit. He is now all set to make the waves even bigger with the release of an album.

The album has been presented by KKVM Record and showcases Sivamani’s exquisite talent. Titled ‘Mahaleela’ the CD goes with the tag ‘my experiences through life’.

Eminent personalities A. R. Rahman, S. P. Balasubramaniam, T. Rajendher and many more graced the occasion.

‘Mahaleela’ sure would be a delight to music lovers….

3.12.08 indiaglitz[/tscii:1438f300d1]

R.Latha
5th December 2008, 02:16 PM
[tscii:d32217b49a] Drums and the man

Percussionist Sivamani launches his first album ‘Mahaleela’ in style

Photo: S. S. Kumar

UNIQUE SOUNDS At the launch of Mahaleela

From an early age, Anandan Sivamani has had an exquisite ear for beats. By twelve, the precocious child was concert material. A percussionist working in the film industry, Sivamani’s father S.M. Anandan asked playback singer S.P. Balasubramaniam, in the middle of a concert, to let the boy play the drums for five minutes. More out of respect for Anandan, SPB gave Sivamani the last five minutes of the concert. In response to the boy’s drumming, the audience erupted in sustained cheer. And, SPB became Sivamani’s fan for life. Thirty seven years from then, on his 49th birthday (December 1), Sivamani thanked SPB in the most fitting manner — the veteran playback singer received the first copy of Sivamani’s first album ‘Mahaleela’ from Lakshmi Anandan, the percussionist’s mother.

The tracks in the album (twelve with a mix of vocal and instrumental) dwell on important events, stages and people in Sivamani’s life. There were music directors A. R. Rahman and Sam Joseph, percussionist Vinayakram, ‘Mandolin’ Srinivas, filmmaker T. Rajendar and a whole lot of other well wishers at the launch.

However, the function began on a solemn note. The absence of sound engineer Sridhar, who passed away in the early hours of the day, was deeply felt. There was an air of gloom around Rahman and Sivamani. On the latter’s request, a silent prayer was offered for Sridhar and the victims of the recent terror attacks in Mumbai (Sivamani was supposed to have given a performance on November 27 at The Oberoi, Mumbai).

Soon, the hall at Green Park Hotel was booming with the beating of drums, as three groups of percussionists performed, one after the other. As the guests walked in, they were greeted with percussion sounds that are played at a traditional Hindu wedding. After the guests had settled down, chenda, percussion music from Kerala, played. Walking in a file, the percussionists were led by a man who played the kombu, an arched instrument made of brass, and capable of three timbres.

Child percussionists performed in the minutes preceding and following the launch of ‘Mahaleela’ and KKVM Record, Sivamani’s label. ‘Mahaleela’, marketed and distributed by KKVM (standing for wife Krishani, son Kumaran, daughter Vashika and Mani), has been compiled with the help of Zakir Hussain, ‘Vikku’ Vinayakram, Louis Banks, Hariharan, Shankar Mahadevan, Leeladri Kumar, Naveen (flute), Harmeet (keyboards) and Steven Babloo. The singers include Hariharan, Shankar Mahadevan, Alma from Bosnia and Lomajin from Mongolia. The lyrics are in Tamil, Hindi, English and Sanskrit. The audio CD is available at leading music stores in the city. [/tscii:d32217b49a]

Scale
5th January 2009, 01:25 AM
Mahaleela by Sivamani.

http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2009/01/04/music-review-mahaleela-indipop-a-sivamani/

Mindblowing Album! Classic exertion :clap: :notworthy:

Check out guys.

Scale
5th January 2009, 01:59 AM
Mahaleela by Sivamani
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/pop/s/album.11165/

Aadhaar - Instrumental
Abbaji - Singer : Ustad Allah Rakha
Basin Bridge - Singer : Sivamani A, Sonia Saigal
Dancing On The Moon - Singer : Alma Ferovic
Infinity - Singer : Osho, Pandaram Selvam, Sivamani A, Subhagi Bose
Jam Packed - Singer : Hariharan
Kriya - Singer : Sivamani A
Mother's Land - Singer : Rangbir, Tanvi S M Anandan
Santushti - Singer : Rupert, Sivamani A
Thank You - Singer : Blazay, Sivamani A
Vasi Vasi - Singer : Nomojin, Shankar Mahadevan

Scale
5th January 2009, 02:01 AM
This album is Out of the world stuff.

Abbaji, Basin Bridge, Voice of Osho, Kriya/ Jam packed - Hariharan :omg:
& Thank you : :)

A.ANAND
5th January 2009, 07:27 PM
exllent album!speechless!wooooow!
sivamani :omg: :omg: :omg: :clap: :2thumbsup: :musicsmile:

Scale
8th February 2009, 11:21 AM
[tscii:ac9a8e0dbb]Sivamani Interview (http://www.hindu.com/mag/2009/02/08/stories/2009020850040200.htm)

First album

His immense love for his mother manifested itself in his first album “Amma”. Unfortunately, it never saw the light of day as all his recordings, zipped up in a suitcase, were stolen at a concert. “Unbelievably, at the studio too, all back ups had been erased,” he recalls. “I was shattered and did not know what to do. Yet one tune lingered in my heart, and I played it for international artist James Asher. That is how we collaborated on the album ‘Drums on Fire’,” reveals Siva.

hm......[/tscii:ac9a8e0dbb]

karthik_sa2
27th March 2009, 02:44 PM
wow!!!!! what an album!!! reminding me of "colours" by zakir kunnakudi and "east meets west" by l.subramaniyam

karthik_sa2
27th March 2009, 02:50 PM
infinity and kriya.....amazing fusion....

karthik_sa2
27th March 2009, 02:51 PM
and what a way to start a song with osho's dynamic voice...awesome

R.Latha
28th November 2011, 03:02 PM
My solos are like rasgullas!

Having recently played at the opening of the children's film festival, percussionist Sivamani is all set to surprise his Hyderabadi fans tonight at the Times Hyderabad Festival 2011. Ask him about what Hyderabadis can expect from his jugalbandi with Niladri Kumar and Louiz Banks, and he says, "It's going to be a fun experience because I'm sharing the stage with phenomenal musicians. You have Niladri, who is like Jimi Hendrix, but with a zitar, then there is Louiz with his jazz elements and then there's me with my Chennai folk beats and an African set."

No matter how many times Sivamani is in the city, his enthralling solo performances manage to leave audiences spellbound. "My solos are like rasgullas. They are never programmed. I just go out there, see the vibe of the people and play what I feel like." Ask if he has any favorite performances in the city and he says, "I have been here so many times. I stayed here in the early '70s and it's a great place. I always drive by the places where I performed before and reminisce."

Talking about the latest musical rage "Kolaveri Di", Sivamani admits that he is a fan too. "It's a really good song with strong lyrics. It's something new and I really like it," says the musician, who is currently working on a Tamil feature film.

"I trained under KV Mahadevan and Ilairaja sir. Composing is not an easy job, I remember the first time with S P Balasubramanium. When he asked me, 'What is the sur?', I got very nervous. Today, the computer teaches us how to sing! But for my album and the film, I'm using the old school style of composing music with an orchestra and live musicians."

Sivamani reveals that Louiz Banks and him, along with fellow musician, Ravi Chary, recently formed a band called Sri Sharanam. Apart from jamming with the band, he is also working on a solo album, in which he has drawn inspiration from everything from a musician's performance to a visit to a spiritual place.