PDA

View Full Version : IR News and Other Titbits Ver.2009

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

rajasaranam
23rd May 2009, 01:13 AM
enna kovathula irunthaaro theriyala. but tis incident will still alienate him from new directors who wish to work with him :(

app_engine
23rd May 2009, 01:31 AM
IR in his "original" controversial style :-(

However, there's a silver lining to the cloud - he was composing best when he was like this. There was so much thuLLal. Looks like he has got younger again.

So we can hope to get thuLLal music for the current ventures :-)

Sureshs65
23rd May 2009, 09:50 AM
Forget what happened at the function. The trailor of Valmiki looks good. Very well shot. Hopefully the film will be a good one. The song tells the whole story and I too like the song.

A.ANAND
23rd May 2009, 04:06 PM
இளையராஜாவின் கோபத்திற்கு ஆளான மிஷ்கின்!

பொதுவாக எந்த விழாக்களிலும் கலந்து கொள்ள மாட்டார் இசைஞானி இளையராஜா. அது அவரே இசையமைத்த படங்களின் விழாவாக இருந்தாலும்!

அப்படிப்பட்டவர், வால்மீகி படத்தின் ஆடியோ வெளியீட்டு விழாவில் கலந்து கொண்டார். மேடையில் பேசிய மிஷ்கின் இளையராஜாவை உயர்த்தி பேசும் நோக்கத்துடன் சில வார்த்தைகள் பேச, பின்னாலேயே மைக் பிடித்த இசைஞானிக்கு பொத்துக் கொண்டு வந்தது கோபம்.

"நான் இதுபோன்ற நிகழ்ச்சிகளில் கலந்து கொள்ளாமலிருப்பதற்கு காரணம், பாராட்டுரைகள்தான். ஒன்று தன்னையே பாராட்டிக் கொள்வார்கள். அல்லது மற்றவர்களை பாராட்டி தள்ளுவார்கள். யாரும் எனக்கு பட வாய்ப்புகள் வாங்கி தரும் நிலையில் நான் இல்லை. இங்கே மேடையில் பேசிய மிஷ்கின் சொல்லிதான் நான் நன்றாக இசையமைப்பேன் என்பதை மற்றவர்கள் தெரிந்து கொள்ளும் நிலையில் இல்லை. நான் வானம்! மின்னல்களோ, இடியோ என்னை ஒன்றுமே செய்யாது. இந்த மிஷ்கின் 'நந்தலாலா' படத்தின் ரீரெக்கார்டிங்கை முடித்துக் கொண்டு பெட்டியை கட்டியவர்தான். அதற்கு பிறகு என்ன ஆனார் என்றே தெரியவில்லை. இப்போதுதான் பார்க்கிறேன்" என்று செம பிடி பிடித்தார்.

பேசிவிட்டு அப்படியே மேடையை விட்டு கீழே இறங்கி நடையை கட்டியதுதான் இன்னும் அதிர்ச்சி. இளையராஜா போன்ற பெரிய மலையை நம்மை போன்ற கூழாங்கற்கள் விமர்சிக்க கூடாதுதான். ஆனாலும் நமது கேள்வி ஒன்றே ஒன்றுதான். நான் வானம், என்னை இடியோ மின்னலோ ஒன்றும் செய்ய முடியாது என்று ஒருவர் பேசுவதும் ஒரு வகையான தற்புகழ்ச்சிதானே ஐயா?

-ஆர்.எஸ்.
http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2009/May/220509c.asp

Hulkster
23rd May 2009, 04:19 PM
Now which is which. So many sites with different accounts of what thalaivar said. Ah forget it. :banghead:

MumbaiRamki
23rd May 2009, 04:22 PM
Well , i really don't understand of why so much emotions have to be spilled out . Really , if you were a big fan of Illayaraaja and you speak like this , and in return raaja sir speaks like , you will be hurt .

But then , what Mysskin said is really true and so many directors ahve said the same- so why only now ?

Hulkster
23rd May 2009, 04:47 PM
Well the reactions are nothing new from IR. You have to understand he is one who is inclined to music rather than the film industry. He has already mentioned before about his stance about music. What Mysskin said even though it was not derogatory sounded like a plea for others to work with him. That is already against IR's system of belief when it comes to music. He hates being mediated around.

He spoke his mind and that's it. But not to the extent of what is being reported. Its good that thalaivar does not act like a super good man and is himself. Well he did wish Mysskin well and although it was fiery it was justified.

Plum
23rd May 2009, 04:52 PM
Indha myshkin dhaane 6 paattu kettuttu, adhula 1 mattum padathula use panninavar. Andha kaduppu kooda irukkalam.

MADDY
23rd May 2009, 05:13 PM
Indha myshkin dhaane 6 paattu kettuttu, adhula 1 mattum padathula use panninavar. Andha kaduppu kooda irukkalam.

he is also waiting for the man in my avatar for his next movie (if sources are to be believed) :) i think this could have also enraged IR - like u begged me to do a movie for u and u cut the songs and then move to ARR - how cheap of u........ :lol:

Its good that thalaivar does not act like a super good man and is himself

r u talking abt rajinikanth here :P

Hulkster
23rd May 2009, 05:43 PM
I am a rajinikanth fan and rajinikanth whether papers mention it or not is one who clearly hates limelight and prefers to be normal. I mean others like mr gangai amaran.

Thalaivar does not hold grudges, alot of directors except a few have jumped to other composers after working with him so it cannot be because of that. What Mysskin said is naturally against his principle and probably explains the "global recognition" thingy. Like i have mentioned he is only inclined to music and nothing else.

prasad_subbu
23rd May 2009, 05:47 PM
I think it is high time IR polishes his PR skills. No need to be harsh on somebody who after all appreciated you.

Did anybody know what exact Myskkin talked before IR? Was it in a way to hurt IR's ego? Even if that is the case, given IR's stature, he can forgive him.

Don't know it is my thought. No point in alienating more and more at end of career.

A.ANAND
23rd May 2009, 05:48 PM
http://www.cinesouth.com/masala/hotnews/new/23052009-1.shtml

Hulkster
23rd May 2009, 05:53 PM
Forget the PR skills. Thalaivar's principle already states he just wants to be with music and only music, while we want him to continue working and go higher and do international films.

Well we may want him to be popular but considering he is not interested in being pursued as a musical icon then lets leave it. Lets just enjoy his songs. :D

MADDY
23rd May 2009, 06:34 PM
I am a rajinikanth fan and rajinikanth whether papers mention it or not is one who clearly hates limelight and prefers to be normal. I mean others like mr gangai amaran.

:lol: seri seri naa nambitten.......

Thalaivar does not hold grudges, alot of directors except a few have jumped to other composers after working with him so it cannot be because of that.

hmm, im not sure on the grudge part......i dont think he has returned to normal talking terms with KB, Mani or even BR for that matter.....

Like i have mentioned he is only inclined to music and nothing else.

i dont think thats the case here, he has appeared in more movies than ARR in tamil......there are hordes of his songs which are self-appreciatory.......to explain this behavior at audio function, i think he just does and says wat he thinks is right - doesent hold back like others......theres no problem with that as long as he knows the way he put it across......yea, as plum said once, we try to slot geniuses of this order with our sense and sensibilities - they live in their world of own.....fair enuf

hey indha matter-la, shankar sonna nalla comments amungi pochhu...searching for a link but not finding it.......shankar had said whenever he feels down in his life, he listens to IR songs to lift himself up :) //vaadi, endhiran enga kitta dhaane varanum :P :lol: //

Sanjeevi
23rd May 2009, 07:38 PM
http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2009/May/230509b.asp

littlemaster1982
23rd May 2009, 09:47 PM
இயக்குநர் ஷங்கர் பேசும்போது...

""என் உதவியாளர் அனந்தகிருஷ்ணன் துடிப்பானவர்; திறமையானவர். அதனால்தான் நல்ல படைப்பையும் படைப்பாளிகளையும் ஆதரிக்கும் விகடன் நிறுவனம் அவருக்கு வாய்ப்பளித்துள்ளது. இதுவரை இளையராஜாவுடன் திரைப்படங்களில் பணியாற்ற எனக்கு வாய்ப்பு அமையவில்லை. ஒரு விளம்பரப் படத்தில் மட்டுமே பணியாற்றியிருக்கிறேன்.

அடிக்கடி சோர்வுறும்போதும் என் மனம் சஞ்சலம் அடையும்போதும் நான் தேடுவது இளையராஜாவின் பாடல்களைத்தான். அவற்றைக் கேட்டவுடன் புத்துணர்வு பிறக்கும். இளையராஜா இசையில் விகடன் நிறுவனம் தயாரித்துள்ள "வால்மீகி' படம் வெற்றியடைய வாழ்த்துகிறேன்'' என்றார்.

Maddy, here it is :P

Nerd
24th May 2009, 03:11 AM
Shankar/Mysskin speech: http://indiainteracts.com/newplatform/23083/
Ilaiyaraaja speech: http://indiainteracts.com/newplatform/23101/
Complete Function videos: http://www.sivajitv.com/Item.do?category=ct000002&id=it001446

rajasaranam
24th May 2009, 04:25 AM
Shankar/Mysskin speech: http://indiainteracts.com/newplatform/23083/
Ilaiyaraaja speech: http://indiainteracts.com/newplatform/23101/
Complete Function videos: http://www.sivajitv.com/Item.do?category=ct000002&id=it001446

Kodi punniyam Nerd! Why these media is pouncing upon every opportunity like street mongrels to create confusion :x yes raaja was little upset but he handled the situation well IMHO. The mention of ARR's Name by Mysskin was not in good light :(

prasad_subbu
24th May 2009, 06:02 AM
I don't think Mysskin crossed the line. He told IR took all the suggestions. He told everybody should work atleast one movie with IR to know what the experience is.

Don't know what irked IR? But IR way of putting it is much milder what was quoted in media. He was expressing it laughingly for most part.

Hulkster
24th May 2009, 06:23 AM
See told you guys press can never be trusted. No wonder thalaivar never appears before this fellas. I think its fair to say next time we wait for evidence rather than hasty judgement.

irir123
24th May 2009, 07:47 AM
hmm - IR actually sounded like he was being positive about Mysskin's compliments!! ".. avara manasula yenna odikkitturukkoongaradhu yenakku theriyum..andha vibrations yennakku theriyum..pakkathhula vara vendaam..aanaaa, yenakku ella iyakkunargalukkum recommend panneengaley, yenakku oru mediator vandhadhu neenga orey oru aal thaan...." and then there is a pause, looks like some part was edited before he says "...yenakku yaarum thevai illai (repeats it again)..yenendraal, iraivan yennai andha idathhil vaithhirukkiraar...nee kidadaa naaye yendru vittaar (only at this point, I see a hint of anger perhaps ?)..andha saptha swarathhileyey kidakkiraen..angeye kidappaen..angirundhu veliyey vara maattaen.."

The other place where he mentions about Mysskin packing off after Nandalala comes right after his reference to doing 2 extra songs besides the five required for the film, which the director COULD NOT refuse from using! which is in context with what Mysskin did with his songs for Nandalala (not using 2 of them in the film) that must have irked IR and also the fact that he has confirmed ARR in his next film and onstage sounds like he is 'personally recommending IR to new directors' as a means of compensating his 'nazhuval' from IR post-Nandalala!!

In such an overall context, Mysskin should not have said things the way he did - given IR's complex personality and his supreme self-respect

rajasaranam
24th May 2009, 10:52 AM
irir,

The way Myskin starts off! "Shankar Asst. so Rahman kitta thaan poaveengannu nenacha... sir kitta vanthathu romba santhosham"...appuram going on like recommending Raaja to others explaining how accomodative Raaja is etc., etc., He went overboard.... Sirupullaithanama medai'la vechu ipdi sonna yaarukkuthaan kovam varaathu.

In Raaja's response he says "...onnu thannai thaane paaratikkanum illa mathavangala mattam thattanum...ippa naan pesunathula rendume irukku" :lol:

MumbaiRamki
24th May 2009, 11:38 AM
Media has clearly gone overboard !!! I think he did say that " one doesnt need to meet physically , and he knows the vibrations that are there in mysskin's mind "

Plum
24th May 2009, 04:31 PM
I think I will maintain that IR need not conform to our standards of morality. He is his own man. Whether his comment about him being above mediators is arrogance or confidence and whether that fits in with his spiritual image and confessed yearnings is between him and his Maker. Nammallam pothittu oru orama dhaan poganum. I say this with as much arrogance, and paradoxically, humility as I can gather.

I think this is not the first time he is saying that Cine functions are hypocrisy-fests where people scratch each others' backs without meaning a word of it. I think he must have felt that Myshkin didnt mean what he said. The key must be if Myshkin felt that way, why did he go out of the way to get 5 songs and use only 2 songs? So, I think IR smelt some superficial cine-standard hypocritical praise there.
Heck, these explanations are not needed. Go back to paragraph 1

Sureshs65
24th May 2009, 06:14 PM
Plum,

With you on this. I believe that an artist, is what people call a 'complete package'. A artists emotional response also probably determines his artistic output. Illayaraja may not have produced these innumerable gems if he is not the person he is. All said and done, 'Valmiki' is an album to cherish.

NormalMan
24th May 2009, 09:34 PM
Was he taking a dig at Shankar's comments?

R.Latha
25th May 2009, 12:14 PM
[tscii:70169abba9]விழாக்களில் அதிகமாகப் பங்கேற்காதது ஏன்? இளையராஜா விளக்கம்

சென்னையில் வெள்ளிக்கிழமை நடைபெற்ற ‘வால்மீகி' திரைப்படத்தின் முதல் ஆடியோ சி.டி.யை இயக்குநர் ஷங்கர் வெளியிட இயக்குர் லிங்குசாமி பெற்றுக்கொண்டார். உடன் (
சென்னை, மே 22: மேடைகளில் பொய் பேச வேண்டியுள்ளதால் விழாக்களில் அதிகமாகப் பங்கேற்பதில்லை என இசையமைப்பாளர் இளையராஜா தெரிவித்தார்.

விகடன் டாக்கீஸ் நிறுவனம் சார்பில் பா.சீனிவாசன் தயாரித்துள்ள புதிய படம் ‘வால்மீகி'. இளையராஜா இசையமைத்துள்ள இந்தப் படத்தின் பாடல் வெளியீட்டு விழா சென்னையில் வெள்ளிக்கிழமை நடைபெற்றது.

விழாவில் இளையராஜா பேசியதாவது:

சினிமா விழாக்களில் நான் அதிகமாகப் பங்கேற்பதில்லை. அதற்கு காரணம், ஒன்று தன்னைப் பற்றி அதிகம் புகழ்ந்துபேச வேண்டும்; இல்லாவிட்டால் மற்றவர்களைப் பற்றிப் புகழ்ந்தோ இகழ்ந்தோ பேச வேண்டும். பெரும்பாலும் உண்மையைப் பேச முடிவதில்லை.

மேடைகளில் பேசும் பலரும் மனதார வாழ்த்துவதில்லை. சரி... ஏதோ நன்றாக இருக்கட்டுமே என்ற எண்ணத்தில்தான் வாழ்த்துகிறார்கள். உண்மை இல்லாத இடங்களைத் தவிர்ப்பதற்காகவே விழாக்களில் பங்கேற்பதைத் தவிர்க்கிறேன். விகடன் நிறுவனத்துக்காக இந்த விழாவில் பங்கேற்றுள்ளேன்.

ஒரு புதிய இயக்குநரின் படத்தில் பணியாற்றுவது குறித்து பலரும் பேசினார்கள். நான் ஏற்கெனவே பல புதுமுக இயக்குநர்களின் படங்களுக்கு இசையமைத்திருக்கிறேன். திறமையுள்ள புதுமுக இளைஞர்களை ஊக்குவிப்பதுதான் என் லட்சியம். நான் இப்போதுள்ள நிலைக்குக் காரணம் அன்று பஞ்சுஅருணாசலம் என்னை ஊக்குவித்து வாய்ப்பளித்ததுதான்.

அதனால்தான் ஷங்கரின் உதவியாளர் அனந்தகிருஷ்ணன் இயக்கியுள்ள இந்தப் படத்துக்கு, அவருடைய திறமைக்காக இசையமைத்தேன். ஒரு படம் வெற்றியடைந்துவிட்டாலே இப்போதுள்ள இயக்குநர்களை இமேஜ் ஆட்டிப்படைக்கிறது. வெற்றிப் படத்தை யார் வேண்டுமானாலும் இயக்கலாம். ஆனால் நல்ல படத்தைத் தருவதுதான் முக்கியம். பணத்தை மட்டுமே தருகிற வெற்றி முக்கியமல்ல.

எனக்கு இசை தொழில் அல்ல; அதையும் தாண்டி என்னோடு கலந்துவிட்ட ஒன்று. சப்தஸ்வரங்கள்தான் என் உறவினர்கள். ஒரு இயக்குநர் என்னிடம் கதையைச் சொல்லிவிட்டதோடு எனக்கும் அவருக்குமான உறவு அவ்வளவுதான். அதன்பிறகு அவர் சொன்ன கதாபாத்திரங்களோடு இசைமயமான வாழ்க்கையில் ஆழ்ந்துவிடுவேன்.

மிஷ்கின் பேசும்போது ஒருமுறையாவது இளையராஜாவுடன் பணியாற்றி விடுங்கள் என இயக்குநர்களுக்கு கூறினார். அவருடைய ‘நந்தலாலா' படத்துக்கு இசையமைத்திருக்கிறேன். அதன்பிறகு அவர் என்னைத் தொடர்புகொள்ளவேயில்லை. அது தேவையுமில்லை. அவர் தூரத்தில் இருந்தாலும் எங்களிடையே நல்ல அலைவரிசை உண்டு.

எனக்கு யாரும் தேவையில்லை; இசை ஒன்று மட்டுமே போதும்; அதுபோன்ற ஒரு மனநிலையை கடவுள் எனக்கு அளித்திருக்கிறார் என்றார்.

http://www.dinamani.com/edition/story.aspx?&SectionName=Cinema&artid=63789&SectionID=141&MainSectionID=141&SEO=&Title=[/tscii:70169abba9]

Plum
25th May 2009, 05:27 PM
"மேடைகளில் பேசும் பலரும் மனதார வாழ்த்துவதில்லை. சரி... ஏதோ நன்றாக இருக்கட்டுமே என்ற எண்ணத்தில்தான் வாழ்த்துகிறார்கள். "

Exactly as we guessed. Looks like he has spelt that out in as many words. Still, people cant understand. I guess some of us here understand him better because we are able to guess his actual mindset even when he is misquoted whereas the media types even after listening to exactly what he said are unable to read his mind.

app_engine
25th May 2009, 06:37 PM
As I said again, this kind of getting into controversy brings back the "original" Raja :-)

And Valmiki songs are a testimony to that:-)

He has got younger past age 65 !

Sanjeevi
25th May 2009, 07:32 PM
As I said again, this kind of getting into controversy brings back the "original" Raja :-)

And Valmiki songs are a testimony to that:-)

He has got younger past age 65 !

I too think so and It shows his confidence also

dochu
26th May 2009, 02:53 AM
IR's trade mark is those 'irrelevant remarks'.

As an example, we know politicians are generally corrupt. People 'false praise' etc.

It is best 'not to do' things that one dislike, rather than go around and tell that we dislike (especially this becomes mundane when everybody knows).

C'mon IR gives me a break!.

Plum
26th May 2009, 10:54 AM
"C'mon IR gives me a break!."
Oh Dochu, congrats. Endha padathula paada chance koduthar? :-)

joe
26th May 2009, 11:37 AM
[tscii:0dc8eac25f]மிஷ்கினின் நந்தலாலா படத்துக்கு இளையராஜா இசையமைக்கிறார். இப்படம் பற்றி பேசும்போதெல்லாம் இளையராஜாவைப் பற்றி தவறாமல் சொல்லிவந்தார் மிஷ்கின். சிலநாட்களாக இளையராஜாவின் பெயரை அவர் உச்சரிக்காதது போல தெரிந்தது. ஏதோ புகைச்சல் என்று அப்போதே யூகிக்க முடிந்தது. விசாரித்துப் பார்த்தால் இளையராஜாவை வற்புறுத்தி ஐந்து பாடல்கள் கேட்டு வாங்கியவர் படத்தில் இரண்டு பாடல்களை மட்டுமே பயன்படுத்திக் கொண்டதாக சொல்கிறார்கள். அதுகூட இயக்குனரின் சுதந்திரம்.

இருப்பினும் இளையராஜாவுக்கு தெரியாமலேயே ‘ஏலிலோ’ என்ற நரிக்குறவப் பாடல் ஒன்றினை படத்தில் மிஷ்கின் சேர்த்ததாக சொல்கிறார்கள். அதாவது அப்படத்தின் இசையமைப்பாளருக்கு தெரியாமலேயே ரெகார்டிங் ஸ்டுடியோவில் ஒரு சவுண்ட் என்ஜினியரின் உதவியோடு இப்பாடல் ரெக்கார்ட் செய்யப்பட்டதாம். இப்படி ஒரு பாடல் படத்தில் இருப்பதையே அப்படத்தின் இசையமைப்பாளர் யாரோ சொல்லி கேள்விப்படுவது கொடுமைதானே?

‘வால்மீகி’ இசைமேடையில் மிஷ்கினை பார்த்ததுமே இளையராஜா பொங்கிவிட்டதின் பின்னணி இதுதான் என்று சினிமா நண்பர்கள் சொல்கிறார்கள்.

http://www.luckylookonline.com/2009/05/blog-post_26.html[/tscii:0dc8eac25f]

raja_fan
26th May 2009, 03:43 PM
When I was watching Myskkin's interview on Vijay TV, I just thought "He appears confident and sounds ok...but...hey..is he thinking too much about himself..?"

It seems my doubt is now cleared..

irir123
26th May 2009, 05:05 PM
sigh - ( this is another KB-style nonsense (remember KB had used someone else's/some other re-recording for the final 10-15 min of 'Puthu Puthu arthangal', without informing IR about it ??)

Dont know why people think they can specifically irk IR this way and get away with it ??

oru velai, its coz of that guilt that Mysskin "packed up and never made even a phone call to IR, after the Nandalala recording was over" in the words of IR!

Mysskinukku yaen indha konaangithhanam ?? yaen avar IRai neradiyaa approach panni, "yenakku oru narikkurava paattu venum" appadinnu kettirundha, IR innum oru pattu koduthhirukka maattaaraa ??

raja_fan
26th May 2009, 06:06 PM
Also note that Myskkin first wanted to Nandhalala and approached IR. Later he switched to Anjadhe even without informing IR about the shelving of Nandhalala...seems IR called Myskkin on phone to ask what happened to Nandhalala !!

A.ANAND
26th May 2009, 08:38 PM
மிஷ்கின் மீது இளையராஜா கோபப்பட்டது ஏன்?
பின்னணி பிரச்சனைகள்!

இளையராஜாவின் வாயிலிருந்து இப்படியரு 'அபஸ்வரம்' வரும் என்று எதிர்பார்க்காத மிஷ்கின் ஆடிப் போயிருக்கிறார். வால்மீகி படவிழாவில் மிஷ்கினை நேரடியாகவே தாக்கி பேசிவிட்டு விருட்டென்று கீழே இறங்கிவிட்டார் இசைஞானி. ஏன் இப்படி ஒரு கோபம் வர வேண்டும் அவருக்கு? கோடம்பாக்கத்தின் சந்து பொந்தெல்லாம் இதுகுறித்துதான் விவாதம் நடக்கிறது.

ஒரு படம் ஹிட் ஆனால் போதும். ஒட்டுமொத்த குடையின் கீழ் தமிழ்சினிமாவை ஆள வேண்டும் என்ற எண்ணம் வந்து தலைகுப்புற ஆடுவார்கள் சில இயக்குனர்கள்! அந்த வரிசையில் மிஷ்கினுக்கு முதல் மார்க் கொடுக்கலாம். வார்த்தைக்கு வார்த்தை தகராறு, வாயால கெட்டது வல்லூறுங்கிற மாதிரி இவர் பேசுகிற வார்த்தைகளில் தனித்துவத்திற்கு பதிலாக சனித்துவமே அதிகம்! அப்படி பேசிதான் மாட்டிக் கொண்டார் அந்த மேடையில்.

உண்மையில் இளையராஜா கோபப்பட அது காரணமில்லையாம். நந்தலாலா படத்திற்கு இசையமைக்க ஒப்புக் கொண்ட இளையராஜா ஐந்து பாடல்கள் போட்டுக் கொடுத்தாராம். அதில் இரண்டு பாடல்களை மட்டும் படத்தில் பயன்படுத்திவிட்டு மீதம் மூன்று பாடல்களை பயன்படுத்தவே இல்லை மிஷ்கின். இதைகூட மன்னித்துவிட்டார் இளையராஜா.

அந்த படத்தில் இடம் பெறும் 'ஏலிலோ...' என்ற நரிக்குறவர்கள் பாடும் பாடலை இளையராஜாவுக்கு தெரியாமலே படத்தில் சேர்த்தாராம். ரகசியமாக ஒரு ரெக்கார்டிங் ஸ்டுடியோவுக்கு நரிக்குறவ பெண்மணி ஒருவரை அழைத்து சென்று சவுண்ட் என்ஜினியர் உதவியோடு இந்த பாடலை ரெக்கார்டிங் செய்தாராம். இது ராஜாவுக்கு தெரியாது. தெரிந்தாலும் திரும்ப போனால்தானே கேட்கப் போகிறார் என்ற எண்ணத்தில் ரீரெக்கார்டிங் முடிந்ததும் ஓடி வந்துவிட்டார் மிஷ்கின். இந்த கோபமெல்லாம் சேர்ந்துதான் ராஜாவை அப்படி பேச வைத்தது என்கிறார்கள்.

-மல்லேஸ்வரி
http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2009/May/250509b.asp

raja_fan
26th May 2009, 10:23 PM
IR's speech at Valmiki audio launch..

http://www.chennaionline.com/video/index.aspx?vid=1157&src=hp

He starts to speak about Myskkin when the video ends..

dochu
26th May 2009, 11:31 PM
Whatever it maybe......it is not good nor wise to slander others in public.

Poor valmiki guys ---they would have been embarassed. Yenda kupitom endru erunthirukkum.

app_engine
26th May 2009, 11:32 PM
அப்பாடி, ஒரு சின்ன நிம்மதி - எலீலோ ராசா போட்டதில்லை :-) இப்படி ஒரு "வெறும் இரைச்சல்" ராசா கையிலிருந்தா என நினைக்க வைத்த சாதனம் அது!

தெரிவித்த விதம் எப்படி இருந்தாலும், நியாயமான கோபம் தான். அந்தப்பாட்டு திரையில் வந்தாலும் பரவாயில்லை, தட்டில் எப்படி வரலாம்?

ராசா ஒண்ணும் அப்படி அட்ரஸ் இல்லாத ஆளில்லையே - அவரது தட்டில் கண்டதையும் போட்டு வெளியிட?

app_engine
26th May 2009, 11:38 PM
Whatever it maybe......it is not good nor wise to slander others in public.

Poor valmiki guys ---they would have been embarassed. Yenda kupitom endru erunthirukkum.

1. Only when he gets hold of him, he could give back :-) I'm not supporting IR at all here, but trying to understand. (That he is capable of controversies is a well-known thingy).

In addition, I read that Myskin talked as if Raja needs a reco to get chances from the likes of Shankar. For his stature, it would have definitely irked. He had been there - seen that.

Doesn't need reco or chance from "nEththikku muLaichcha" pasanga.

2. Actually the vAlmeeki guys may be happy for the publicity now, otherwise the whole thing - audio release / movie release etc - would have gone totally unnoticed :-)

Sanjeevi
26th May 2009, 11:51 PM
அப்பாடி, ஒரு சின்ன நிம்மதி - எலீலோ ராசா போட்டதில்லை :-) இப்படி ஒரு "வெறும் இரைச்சல்" ராசா கையிலிருந்தா என நினைக்க வைத்த சாதனம் அது!

தெரிவித்த விதம் எப்படி இருந்தாலும், நியாயமான கோபம் தான். அந்தப்பாட்டு திரையில் வந்தாலும் பரவாயில்லை, தட்டில் எப்படி வரலாம்?

ராசா ஒண்ணும் அப்படி அட்ரஸ் இல்லாத ஆளில்லையே - அவரது தட்டில் கண்டதையும் போட்டு வெளியிட?

நல்லா சொன்னீங்க

prasad_subbu
27th May 2009, 02:32 AM
Dochu,

If the details of Mysskin doing some re-recording without IR's knowledge in Nandalala is true, then I can understand IR's anger.

Still he should have played little mild. No point in embarassing a guy who worked with him. For his stature he can forgive such mistakes.

app_engine
27th May 2009, 03:11 AM
Still he should have played little mild. No point in embarassing a guy who worked with him. For his stature he can forgive such mistakes.

Definitely, yes!

However, most here know "IR & இங்கிதம்" often do not go together :-(

ananth222
27th May 2009, 03:34 AM
However, most here know "IR & இங்கிதம்" often do not go together :-(Is getting the soundtrack and disappearing, not giving a courtesy call, and inserting third party material into the soundtrack "இங்கிதம்"?

irir123
27th May 2009, 03:51 AM
IMHO, IR is perfectly justified in what he did - its a breach of trust

this also exposes very clearly the unprofessional way in which the industry operates - I have rarely heard of such instances happening in Hollywood, where every piece of agreement is documented and protected by a legal framework - maybe thats what IR should be doing in the future - Mysskin should consider himself lucky that IR did not pursue some legal means (which he could very well do if he wants to) for this silly unprofessional crappy slip on his part

dochu
27th May 2009, 03:54 AM
Guys,
whatever Mysskin did. It is totally inappropriate to talk about 'irrelevant' things in somebody's party especially when it is public. (it is like we go and shout at somebody else in somebody's marriage function - poor analogy? :-))

We all face 'mysskin' kind of crap in our life. We don't pull up a mic and 'vent' out. Especially this is SO ridiculuous to IR's stature and his 'age'.

IR not only showed his 'insensibility' but spoilt Valmiki's release.

(app_e - agreed it is a good publicity for Valmiki - However, I think now they might hesitate to work with this volatile person in future.).

With our growing list of IR deserters - we can add Mysskin as well.

ananth222
27th May 2009, 04:32 AM
Why is it not volatile when Mysskin says "I expected him to work with ARR but he came to IR"? Why is it not volatile when he says "new directors must work with IR 'at least once'" as if IR is not fit to work with, but just make one exception for the experience? Why is it volatile only when IR says "I've worked with so many new directors, so why this fuss?"?

app_engine
27th May 2009, 04:59 AM
However, most here know "IR & இங்கிதம்" often do not go together :-(Is getting the soundtrack and disappearing, not giving a courtesy call, and inserting third party material into the soundtrack "இங்கிதம்"?

You're right . However, it's just that the senior master can ignore such remarks as these are not told by the host but another guest, in this case. So, walking off (as reported) is not that courteous...

app_engine
27th May 2009, 05:01 AM
With our growing list of IR deserters - we can add Mysskin as well.

Even otherwise Myskin came for just one film only (in his own admission and also per history)...so no damage done from that angle.

dochu
27th May 2009, 08:08 AM
I posted the above after reading postings and news clippings. Finally watched the video clip.

Thank god! chennaionline ended the video abruptly before we could see him blasting Mysskin.

IR's whole talk was complete ranting. Not sure what he was trying to get across. Sathyam - sathyam theatres; etc..

It was inappropriate for him to remark in the beginning when others stood out of respect for him. Didn't he stand when MSV approached. Was that acting? why would he call others acting or not 'eyalbu'?

A complete hypocrisy as well. He himself says people in 'medai' either praises themselves or belittles others. Later he did both. He praised himself for being supportive to new directors. He belittled others including Mysskin.

with all his philosophical talks on God and stuff....he couldn't control himself.

He is getting closer and closer to get a complete boot out from film industry.

Really sad......

A.ANAND
27th May 2009, 08:41 AM
Ilayaraja Speech SIVAJI TV COM I Don't Need Anyone Part1&2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It98FMhweUg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vJJ-cEwKoM&feature=related

Plum
27th May 2009, 11:13 AM
"We all face 'mysskin' kind of crap in our life. We don't pull up a mic and 'vent' out"

Dochu bhai, ok, let me be the bad man here. I call it extremely presumptuous of you, preposterously egotistical of you to compare yourself with Ilaiyaraja and judging him on your behavioural standards. Konja naal munnadi oru signature vechurundhaen.
"Dont be so modest, you are not THAT great".
Idhula pala unmaigal iruku - mudinja purinjikkunga.

crvenky
27th May 2009, 12:03 PM
News on Kannukkulle from Ju.Vi.

லேனா மூவேந்தர் சொன்ன "கண்ணுக்குள்ளே" கதையைக் கேட்டு உருகிவிட்டாராம், இளையராஜா. வயலின் இசைக் கலைஞன் ஒருவனுடைய கதை இது. படம் முழுக்க வயலின் நாதம் பெருக்கெடுக்குமாம்.

" இதுல நடிக்கிற ஹீரோ அழகா இருக்காரோ... இலலையோ... வயலின் பத்தி தெரிந்ஞ்சவரா இருக்க்ணும். அவரோட ஒவ்வொரு அசைவும் தத்ரூபமாகணும். அப்போதான் படம் ஜெயிக்கும்! " என்று டைரக்டருக்கு அட்வைஸ் கொடுத்தாராம் இளையராஜா. இதையடுத்து ஏழெட்டுப் படங்களில் நடித்த மிதுன் என்பவரைக் கூட்டிப் போய் ராஜா முன்னால் வயலின் வாசித்துக் காட்டச் சொன்னாராம் லேனா. அந்த பரீட்சையில் பாஸ் ஆன பிறகே ஹீரோ ஆனாராம் மிதுன்.

sudhakarg
27th May 2009, 06:35 PM
Vairamuthu on Isaignani.

If this has not yet been discussed in the forum, here you go...

http://7swara.blogspot.com/2009/05/vairamuthu-on-illayaraja.html

app_engine
27th May 2009, 08:21 PM
I think kuLam - kal were discussed years back in TFMpage, very old topic.

ஆனால் ராசா கல் எறிவதை நிறுத்தவில்லை, வேறு வேறு குளங்கள், அவ்வளவு தான் :-)

raja_fan
27th May 2009, 09:37 PM
app_engine,

Vairamuthu has not meant it "Those who pelted stones at me" in the title.. :)

It rather means "Those who made impact on me" .

Yes, Raja still continues to make impact :)

app_engine
27th May 2009, 09:41 PM
r_f
நீங்க சொல்ற மாதிரியும் சொல்லலாம்:-)

(Pls read in Senthil style)

dochu
28th May 2009, 05:15 AM
Plum,
I don't agree with your views.

I try leading a simple life rather than having quotes ("Dont be so modest, you are not THAT great" in the signature) and not practice it oneself. I don't claim to be a perfectionist nor give philosophical advices to others.

That behaviour irks any common man. If it didn't, good for you.

irir123
28th May 2009, 06:29 AM
What IR does and does not do - is entirely his problem - how he handles his associates, colleagues etc etc is his business - lets leave it all to him

We are not around to discuss the mertis/demerits of his character/personality - if we all ask ourselves, how much of crap each of us is willing to put up with, amongst our own colleagues, we would find we dont put up with several ppl ourselves, for reasons that are best known to us - none of us have direct access to what exactly happened in this case of Valmiki audio release stage speech of IR - what prompted/provoked him etc etc - that being the case, we are not in a position to judge IR for his actions/words - if he is outspoken, or introverted or eccentric, thats entirely his problem - am sure he can handle himself well

So far as he keeps coming up with the kind of albums he has come up with this year, I personally dont care what he speaks on stage about people in his industry

If we all get too personal with these things, we would end up getting confused as to whether listen to IR's music, or, analyze his stage performances - IR is not a 'arasiyal thalaivar', nor is he out to prove that the Earth is flat and disprove the laws of thermodynamincs - that we should take his words and that too about a director seriously!

venkkiram
28th May 2009, 09:09 AM
ராஜாவின் பேச்சைக் கேட்டபோது, இன்னும் அவர் தனது மாயையான வட்டத்திலிருந்து இறங்கி வரவில்லை எனத் தெளிவாகத் தெரிகிறது. மக்களோடு மக்களாக உலாவும் இடத்தில் எல்லோரும் ஒரு தளத்தில் பேச, இவர் மட்டும் ஏதோ வேறு ஒரு கிரகத்திலிருந்து வந்தது போல பேசுவதே இவரது தொடர்ந்து வரும் இயல்பாக இருக்கிறது.

"சினிமா சத்யமா? வாழ்க்கை சத்யமா?" யாகவா முனிவர் தோற்றுவிடுவார் ராஜாவிடம்..

"எழுதாத கவிஞர்களை கூப்பிட்டு இங்கு பேச வைத்தார்கள் என்று சொன்னார்கள். நீங்கள் எல்லாம் எழுதுகிற கவிஞர்கள். எழுதிக் கொண்டிருக்கும் கவிஞர்கள். எழுதினால் தான் கவிதையா? உங்கள் வாழ்வே கவிதை! உங்கள் வாழ்வே கவிதையே அல்லவா!.. வாழ்க்கையே ஒரு கவிதை!"

எனக்குச் சுத்தமா புரியல.. விளக்குமாற்றால் விளக்குங்களேன்! தெரிந்துகொள்கிறேன்.

"மேடைப் பேச்சுகளில் ஒன்று தன்னைப் பற்றி பெரிதாக பேசிக்கொள்வது..இல்லையென்றால் அடுத்தவர்களை மட்டம் தட்டிப் பேசுவது" என்ற வரையறையே தவறான முடிவு.

ஒரு பாடல் வெளியிட்டு விழாவில் என்ன பேச வேண்டும்? பாடல் ஆசிரியரை பாராட்டலாம். தன்னுடன் பணியாற்றும் இசைக்கலைஞர்களை பாராட்டலாம். அதையெல்லாம் மறந்து விட்டு, "சினிமா சத்யமா? வாழ்க்கை சத்யமா?" எனப் பேசுவதால் ஒரு பயனும் இல்லை.

ராஜா அவர்களே! தயவுசெய்து இனி மேடைப் பக்கம் வந்துவிடாதீர்கள். அந்த நேரத்தில் சப்த சுரங்களில் மூழ்கி முத்தெடுங்கள். ரசிகர்கள் எங்களுக்கு பயனுள்ளதாக அமையும்.

A.ANAND
28th May 2009, 12:45 PM
"எழுதாத கவிஞர்களை கூப்பிட்டு இங்கு பேச வைத்தார்கள் என்று சொன்னார்கள். நீங்கள் எல்லாம் எழுதுகிற கவிஞர்கள். எழுதிக் கொண்டிருக்கும் கவிஞர்கள். எழுதினால் தான் கவிதையா? உங்கள் வாழ்வே கவிதை! உங்கள் வாழ்வே கவிதையே அல்லவா!.. வாழ்க்கையே ஒரு கவிதை!"

எனக்குச் சுத்தமா புரியல.. விளக்குமாற்றால் விளக்குங்களேன்! தெரிந்துகொள்கிறேன். --------VENKIRAM

ithellam araya kudathu anubavikanum!

:lol:

sudhakarg
28th May 2009, 01:22 PM
What IR does and does not do - is entirely his problem - how he handles his associates, colleagues etc etc is his business - lets leave it all to him

<<deleted>>

I agree. He may have his reasons. Like you said, we should not try to read too much into it.

But what the outburst basically showed is the amount of negativity that has set in in the mind of this genius especially with respect to Cine industry as a whole. I'm only worried that this will directly/indirectly translate into his padaippugaL for which we love him.

Plum
28th May 2009, 02:03 PM
"Plum,
I don't agree with your views.

I try leading a simple life rather than having quotes ("Dont be so modest, you are not THAT great" in the signature) and not practice it oneself. I don't claim to be a perfectionist nor give philosophical advices to others.

That behaviour irks any common man. If it didn't, good for you."
Sorry, neenga naan sonnadhai purinjikkave illai. One thing - the way you expected IR to conform to certain standards, what you wre doing there was exactly what is called "giving philo advice to others". No, you cant claim that you dont give advice to others.

rajasaranam
28th May 2009, 03:25 PM
But what the outburst basically showed is the amount of negativity that has set in in the mind of this genius especially with respect to Cine industry as a whole. I'm only worried that this will directly/indirectly translate into his padaippugaL for which we love him.

Try Reading his 'Sangeetha Kanavugal' which was published in 1980. His opinion about the cine industry is the same then and now and It has never deterred him from giving great outputs then or now :)

rajasaranam
28th May 2009, 03:48 PM

எனக்குச் சுத்தமா புரியல.. விளக்குமாற்றால் விளக்குங்களேன்! தெரிந்துகொள்கிறேன்.
. You wont understand if the context is not grasped!

Hulkster
28th May 2009, 05:58 PM

<<deleted>>

I agree. He may have his reasons. Like you said, we should not try to read too much into it.

Alot of people are making a fuss out of this as if he scolded using some four letter word and asked mysskin to commit suicide. When there are loads of people calling for campaign and such all IR said was that he did not need a mediator and that mysskin himself did not call him after the bgm making but still he had good vibrancy with him.

Fans have to get one thing about IR. IR is only tied to music and nothing else. He has always hated "the business" side of the industry and is only interested in composing because of his love for music. If he wanted to be commercial minded he would not have said no to rajini,bharathiraja and co when they asked him. You have to understand that he totally operates in a different reality, in that of music is my service to god style.

dochu
28th May 2009, 10:57 PM
ராஜா அவர்களே! தயவுசெய்து இனி மேடைப் பக்கம் வந்துவிடாதீர்கள். அந்த நேரத்தில் சப்த சுரங்களில் மூழ்கி முத்தெடுங்கள். ரசிகர்கள் எங்களுக்கு பயனுள்ளதாக அமையும்.

Well said!. I second that.
There are already enough 'munivargal' floating around in TN doing nothing. At this point, probably TN doesn't need another one.

kingvj
29th May 2009, 01:34 AM
On second thoughts, what else would we expect from a 66 year old man? "Naanga andha kaalathula....", "ippollaam enna nadakkudhunnaa..."... "andha kaalam maadhiri varaadhu..." kinda stuff. Innum konjam pona, thathuvam, maayai, pirappu-irappu, kadavul, gnanam.... hmmm..! I guess IR is no different.. after all he's a human like us..!

The more we talk about IR's music (instead of IR himself) the better. IR maadhiri manidhargal neraya peru irukkalaam... aana IR maadhiri oru music genious romba romba aboorvam.

Plum
29th May 2009, 12:24 PM
It doesnt matter what TN needs or doesnt need. Raja has no obligation to TN or India or the world. If he works, and we get great music, fine. If he doesnt, he has given enough already that will speak his name forever. Even if he hadnt, thats his prerogative. People should get a life. (I have a feeling that the old hubber called Vysar has come back in a new name.Same style.)

raja_fan
29th May 2009, 07:53 PM
Once a great scholar said "The moment my mind starts lauding my own speech, I come to know I should end my speech"..

Seems IR has started thinking that whatever that comes out of his mouth is music to peoples' ears :)

app_engine
29th May 2009, 08:17 PM
எது எப்படி இருந்தாலும், பத்திரிகைகளுக்கு அவல் கொடுத்த மட்டில் இது ஒரு +ve development தான்:-)

Fliflo
31st May 2009, 08:49 PM
Isaignani-yai pattri oru puthu kavithai

http://peelamedu.blogspot.com

itsmuls
2nd June 2009, 09:28 PM
Illayaraja's family rules Raaga Top Ten

www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/47359.html

K
3rd June 2009, 08:05 AM
http://kiruthikan.blogspot.com/2009/06/blog-post.html

Nerd
3rd June 2009, 09:46 AM
''எல்லா சப்தங்களும் எனக்கு ஒன்றுதான்..!'' - இளையராஜா

பிரசாத் ஸ்டூடியோவின் ஏ.ஸி. அறைக்குள் ரொம்பவும் அமைதி யாக இருந்தார் அந்த எளிய மனி தர். ஏகப்பட்ட திரையுலகப் பிர முகர்கள் பாராட்ட வந்திருந்தனர். ரொம்பவும் பரபரப்போடு இருந்த வர்கள், பாராட்ட வந்திருந்தவர் கள்தான்.

ஆனால், அவரோ அமைதியாக, ஆர்ப்பாட்டமில்லாமல் 'இதெல் லாம் சர்வ சாதாரணம்' என்கிற மாதிரியான ஒரு நிலையிலிருந்தார், 'சிந்துபைரவி'யின் சிறந்த இசைக் காக அகில இந்திய அளவில் சிறந்த இசையமைப்பாளராகத் தேர்ந் தெடுக்கப்பட்டுள்ள அந்த மனிதர் - இளையராஜா.

'சிந்துபைரவி'யின் இயக்குநர் கே.பாலசந்தரும், அகில இந்திய அளவில் சிறந்த பாடலாசிரியராகத் தேர்ந்தெடுக்கப்பட்டுள்ள பாடலா சிரியர் வைரமுத்துவும் ஒருசேர வாழ்த்த வந்தனர். மூன்றாவதாக வந்தவர், இசையமைப்பாளர் எம்.எஸ்.விஸ்வநாதன். பாலசந்தரும் வைரமுத்துவும் மாலையிட்டுப் பாராட்ட, எம்.எஸ்.வி-யைக் குனிந்து வணங்கினார் இளையராஜா.

அந்த அறைக்குள் இளைய ராஜாவின் குருநாதரின் வண்ணப் படம் பெரிய அளவில் இருந்தது. சுற்றிலும் மாலைகள், எலுமிச்சம் பழங்கள்... அறையெங்கும் ரோஜா இதழ்கள் இறைந்து கிடந்தன.

சமீபத்தில் இளையராஜா இசை அமைத்த 'ஹவ் டு நேம் இட்?' என்கிற எல்.பி. ரிக்கார்டை 'எக்கோ' இசைத்தட்டு நிறுவனம் வெளியிட் டிருக்கிறது. ஆனால், இது கர்னாடக இசைப்பிரியர்களையோ, மேல் நாட்டு இசை ரசிகர்களையோ, இரண்டுமே இல்லாமல் இளைய ராஜாவின் ரசிகர்களையோ முழுமை யாகத் திருப்திப்படுத்துமா என்கிற சந்தேகத்தைக் கேட்டபோது...

''இந்த 'ஹவ் டு நேம் இட்?' இசைத்தட்டில் அமைந்துள்ளவை ஒன்பது தனித்தனி இசைப்பகுதிகள். இவை ஒவ்வொன்றும் இசை உலகத்துக்கு இசைக்கலைஞன் ஒருவன் எழுப்பும் கேள்விகள்!

என்னுடைய தீர்மானம் எல்லாம் இசை என்பது ஒன்றுதான். அதைக் கர்னாடகம் என்றே, மேற்கத்திய இசை என்றோ, ஜாஸ் என்றோ, கிராமியம் என்றோ, டப்பாங்குத்து என்றோ தரம் பிரித்துச் சொல்வது சரியில்லை.

ஓர் ஓவியன் எத்தனையோ வண் ணங்களைக் கலந்துதான் ஓர் ஓவியத் தைத் தீட்ட(வேண்டும்)முடியும். எந்த ஓவியனும் ஏழு வண்ணங்களில் சிவப்பு வண்ணத்தை மட்டும் உயர்ந் தது என்று சொல்வதுமில்லை; வாதி டுவதும் இல்லை. ஆனால், நாமோ நமது கர்னாடகம் மட்டுமே உயர்ந்தது என்றும், இந்துஸ்தானிதான் சிறந்தது என்றும் எண்ணிக்கொண்டு வித்தி யாசங்களை வளர்த்து, பெரிய வெளி நோக்கை விட்டுவிட்டோம். அதனால் இசைக்கு எந்தத் தாழ்வும் இல்லை; உயர்வும் இல்லை. ஒன்றை உயர்ந்தது என்று சொல்வதாலேயே மட்டும், சொல்லப்படுகின்ற பொருள் உயர்ந்ததாக ஆகிவிடப் போவதில்லை. சொல்லுகின்றவன் கீழே இருக்கிறான் என்பதைத்தான் அது உணர்த்து கிறது.

என்னைப் பொறுத்தவரையில், எல்லாமே சப்தங்கள்தான். எல்லா சப்தங்களும் எனக்கு ஒன்றுதான். இதற்கு நான் எப்படிப் பெயர் சூட்டுவது?

இதில் 'ஸ்டடி ஃபார் வயலின்' என்கிற பகுதி வருகிறது. வெஸ்டர்ன் மியூஸிக்கோடு வயலின் சிங்க்ரனைஸ் ஆகி இழைந்து, பரந்து பரவிப் படருகிற அபூர்வமான 'பிட்' இது. பிரபலமான வயலின் வித்வான்களுக்கே இது ஒரு சவால்!

இந்த 'ஹவ் டு நேம் இட்?' - அணை கட்டி முடித்த பிற்பாடு, இந்த இடத்தில் கட்டியிருக்கலாம், இது ஓட்டை என்று சொல் வது மாதிரியான விமர்சனத் துக்கோ, ஆராய்ச்சிக்கோ அல்ல! கேட்பவர்கள் உள் ளத்தில் அது எந்த மாதிரியான உணர்வை உண்டு பண்ணுகிறதோ, அந்த உணர்வுதான் இந்த இசை யின் மூலமாக நான் கொண்டு வர முயற்சித்திருப்பது'' என்கிறார் இளையராஜா.

தென்னகத்திலேயே... ஏன், இந்தி யாவிலேயே கம்ப்யூட்டர் கருவியின் மூலம் ரிக்கார்டிங் செய்து வருகிறார் இளையராஜா.

எல்லாவிதமான இசைக்கருவிகளின் இசையையும் ஒலிக்கச் செய்து, ஒரு பாடலையே ரிக்கார்டிங் செய்துவிடும் அளவுக்கு மிக நவீனமான கம்ப்யூட்டர் இது.

பேச்சு 'சிந்துபைரவி' இசை பற்றித் திரும்புகிறது.

''பரிசுகளும் பாராட்டுகளும் என்னைப் பாதிப்பதில்லை. பரிசு, விருது கிடைக்கும்னு எதிர்பார்த்து சிந்துபைரவிக்கு இசையமைக்கலே. என்றாலும், இந்த விருதின் மூலம் இந்திய அரசாங்கம் சரியான ஒரு படத்தின் இசைக்குப் பரிசு கொடுத் திருக்கிறது.

ஏன் தெரியுமா... இதுவரையிலும் எத்தனையோ சாகித்யகர்த்தாக்கள் இந்த மண்ணிலே சாகித்யங்கள் செய்திருக்கிறார்கள். 'ஆரோகண மும், அவரோகணமும் இணைந்தால் தான் சாகித்யமே' என்கிற கருத்தை, சிந்துபைரவியில் வரும் ஆரோகணப் பாடலான 'கலைவாணியே' என்ற பாடல் மாற்றியிருக்கிறது.

எல்லாமே எனது செயல் அல்ல. இளையராஜா என்பவன் ஒரு கருவி.

எனக்குள் இருந்துகொண்டு என்னை எவரோ இயக்கிக் கொண்டிருக்கிறார்களே... அவர்களது செயல். இது அவர்களது வெற்றி. அவ்வளவுதான்..!''

krish244
3rd June 2009, 04:00 PM
The below link says that IR is most likely to compose for a new movie named "Nee indri naan illai". This movie is done by the same team (including screenplay by Kalaignar) as "Uliyin Osai". The unbelievable part is that it says it will have lyrics by Vairamuthu and Pa.Vijay.

I doubt if IR will accept it. Lets see.

http://malayalam.galatta.com/entertainment/malayalam/livewire/id/Meera_Jasmine_in_Nee_Indri_Naan_Illai_25897.html

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
3rd June 2009, 04:04 PM
The below link says, music is by Deva.

http://www.newstodaynet.com/newsindex.php?section=11&catid=20&id=17311

thanks,

Krishnan

Sanjeevi
3rd June 2009, 06:28 PM
I pray for Deva :lol:

raja_fan
3rd June 2009, 09:11 PM
I pray for IR !
Oh God ! they should NOT be successful in convincing IR..please !
:)

Sanjeevi
3rd June 2009, 09:57 PM
r_f

:rotfl:

so both are praying for same thing

thumburu
4th June 2009, 04:55 PM
"தில் 'ஸ்டடி ஃபார் வயலின்' என்கிற பகுதி வருகிறது. வெஸ்டர்ன் மியூஸிக்கோடு வயலின் சிங்க்ரனைஸ் ஆகி இழைந்து, பரந்து பரவிப் படருகிற அபூர்வமான 'பிட்' இது. பிரபலமான வயலின் வித்வான்களுக்கே இது ஒரு சவால்! "

"Study for violin" - Does he mean the "thulasi dhala mulache" , Thyagaraja kruthi padded with wcm elements ? Yes it is melliflous but I feel that piece starting with Hamsadhwani and traversing thru various other scales and the mind blowing piece in "Gujari thodi" scale to be more complicated than the MMG piece.
I like the title piece "How to name it" which has beautiful transition from Simhendramadhyamam to Shanmugapriya and a brief peep into Gowrimanohari. Raja's shanmugapriya can make me tizzy. In HTNI, he touches this scale thrice , in 3 different pieces.

Hulkster
4th June 2009, 06:21 PM
I think the study of violin is the part where there are two simultaneous sounding violins when it is actually one violin. That is indeed difficult.

thumburu
5th June 2009, 04:42 PM
hulkster, do u mean that tiny Shanmugapriya bit ? I thought 2 violins were used. If its done by a single violin, its amazing indeed

Hulkster
5th June 2009, 05:48 PM
hulkster, do u mean that tiny Shanmugapriya bit ? I thought 2 violins were used. If its done by a single violin, its amazing indeed

Its one violin made to sound twice. :D. Thalaivar only experiments when he gets challenges.

How to name it - Does WCM have a standard raaga format?
Nothing But Wind - Music is naturally within us.
Thiruvasagam - Can a ancient set of lyrics be tuned to WCM and still have the same impact?

Really a music scientist than a composer :D

ananth222
5th June 2009, 07:51 PM
How to name it - Does WCM have a standard raaga format?
Nothing But Wind - Music is naturally within us.
Thiruvasagam - Can a ancient set of lyrics be tuned to WCM and still have the same impact?

Really a music scientist than a composer :DFor such a composer, his output is quite less. Of course, he has also answered all these questions 1000s of times in his 1000s of interludes for film songs, but they are hidden. If only he had done 100 films less and 10 more independent albums...

Hulkster
6th June 2009, 11:32 AM
He has done 30 albums in his free time actually. They are planning to release them soon.

Hulkster
6th June 2009, 12:37 PM
Raaja HCM

Raaja-Hindustani I (http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/2009/04/raja-hindustani-i.html)

Raaja-Hindustani II (http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/2009/05/raaja-hindustani-ii.html)

Raaja-Hindustani III (http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/2009/05/raaja-hindustani-iii.html)

Violin vicky has come up with a amazing explanation. After going through his articles i realise that Raaja is not just a music scientist but a genre by himself. Maybe even GOD of Music.

Those who have never heard him touch qawwali genre can see it in the third post.

raaja_rules
6th June 2009, 03:55 PM
[tscii:1b1d1ebdee]Today is a special day in Raaja sir’s music career. Yes, before 5 years today {June 6th} is the day on which Raaja sir has started off composing the melodies and its oriented orchestra annotation for the album “Thiruvasagam in Oratoria”. He has chosen some selected verses from the below:

Polla vinayen from Sivapuranam {Namashivaya vazhga},
Puttril vazh Aravum Anjen from Acchap paththu,
Pooverukonum Purantharanum from Thirukoth-thumbi {Shivanodu ikkiyum - Incorporating with Lord Shiva},
Umbarkatkarasaey from Pidiththa paththu {Muththik-kalap-puraiththal},
Muthu Natramam from Acchop pathikam {Anupava-vazhi ariyaamai},
Poovaar Senni Mannan from Yaaththirai paththu {Anubhava Athiitham uraiththal}.

He has accomplished the composing work on June 18th, which is actually saint Manickavasagar day! i.e., The music composing work of this project was well thought-out in the last 12 days of Saint Manickavasagar.

Besides the original verses, Raaja sir has appended a couple of lines in the composition - Puttril vazh Aravum Anjen: Vaathanur adigal {Saint Manickavasagar} vazhga, vaazhththum avar adiyaar vazhga!

Reportedly, these compositions are considered as “Classical Cross-over” genre. Infact, this album is an Oratorio album. Oratorio is a musical composition for vocal and orchestra, which narrates a sacred story {hymn} without any dramatic performance.

Basically, Oratorio is a work type. Considering the western factors, each compositions from this album fall into different genre.

Poovaar Senni Mannan is Marching genre,
Polla vinayen is Choral music genre {verse - Aakkam alavu is alone “A cappella”},
Thiruk koththumpi could be called as Guzzanelle {in lighter vein}. Guzzanelle is very amicable to Ballad. In that manner, Thiruk koththumpi is reportedly "Ballad" or "Devotional Ballad" {I did coin this term},
Umbarkatkarasaey – Choral music genre,
Muthu Natramam – Ballet Genre {in lighter vein},
Puttril vazh Aravum Anjen – Classical genre {Initially, it has mere opera elements of dialect}.

"சொல்லிய பாட்டின் பொருள் உணர்ந்து சொல்லுவார்
செல்வர் சிவபுரத்தின் உள்ளார் சிவன் அடிக்கீழ்ப்...

"Cholliya pattin porul unar{i}ndhu cholluvar
selvar Shivaburaththin ullar Shivan adikkizhp..."

The above lines are from last verse of Shivapuram {93rd and 94th lines}.

As Rev.G.U.Pope: 'NEATH THY SACRED FEET
THEY LEARN THE MEANING OF THEIR SONG.The blessed ones
In Civan's town who dwell, - full many a one, - beneath...'

If someone understand this song {shivapuranam} and explain/narrate about this song then he/she would go to Lord shiva's place...!

Through this album Raaja sir has rewritten the norms of Oratorio. After all He is an incarnation of Music!

always

~~Raaja rules! [/tscii:1b1d1ebdee]

app_engine
6th June 2009, 06:10 PM
Wow, excellent write-ups by Vicky! Thanks Hulkster for the links!

I was guessing 'which piece this could have been' every now and then while reading. My joy was unbounded when I was spot on with the 'do anything' piece as sample for shenoy in WCM setting :-)

Hulkster
6th June 2009, 07:51 PM
Like vicky says, Myriads of instruments have been used uniquely by thalaivar that by the time we do a writeup for each we might become grandfathers. Cant imagine that thalaivar does all these from pure notes to live orchestra in minutes. Certainly the work of GOD of music if there is one.

app_engine
7th June 2009, 09:24 AM
Just saw this today :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h03O_nMFPjc&feature=related

Do these people give IR any royalty for such use? Or is KR behind such ads and they get some revenue anyways...

sureshmehcnit
7th June 2009, 10:11 AM
Re-Recording Raaja Contest

http://backgroundscore.blogspot.com/2009/06/re-recording-raaja-contest.html

K
7th June 2009, 10:35 PM
http://radiospathy.blogspot.com/2009/06/blog-post.html

Ir Music in Sarvam

MumbaiRamki
7th June 2009, 11:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv8_hgiqlhA&feature=related&pos=13

SHIVA Vs SHIVA

irir123
8th June 2009, 08:37 AM
Just saw this today :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h03O_nMFPjc&feature=related

Do these people give IR any royalty for such use? Or is KR behind such ads and they get some revenue anyways...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=531WthsZaBY

Did IR give any royalty to the original composer (Matthew Anderson) or the one from whom both he and Matthew liberally flicked ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nHyuwKK01I&feature=related

Did IR give any royalty to SIMON DUPREE for his Kites song, that he lifted for his 'akkarai cheemaiyile' ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msee-3boIRQ&feature=related

Did IR give any royalty to Uriah Heep for their 'Lady in Black' song, that he lifted for his 'kaadhal vanthiruchhu' ??

Idhaithhaan IR "isai yenbadhu yaematru vela" yendru tongue-in-cheek aa sonnaar polirukku!

in annan goundamani's language "arasiyalnaa idhellaam sagajamappaa" - adhanaala thaan, IR very smartly keeps quiet when someone plagiarises from him - can the pot call the kettle black ? - he he

Hulkster
8th June 2009, 02:02 PM
You know he did not exactly lift wholesale except for the kites song(even that was two lines). He has inspirations but not lifts.

Add to that about him openly admitting his inspirations like the mozart piece for his ada veetukku song and many others in his book. And he has a better explanation for plagiarism than the one you mentioned, more professional version.

"What i am composing was the leftover by composers like bach and mozart and what you are composing is leftover from me". But if you ask me he is the most original composer out of all the composers around in India. 13 plagiarised pieces out of about what 8000 plus songs?

Just one thing, isn't the murattukaalai song from antoin ruiz pipo?

irir123
8th June 2009, 06:36 PM
Hulkster - we never know fully well how many other tracks he has been 'inspired' from - but yes, he is the most original and prolific - perhaps, in those days if internet existed, he would have been forced to be even more original

I have not mentioned 'money money' by Abbas and 'kan malargalin azhaippidhal', and another boney M song and 'darling darling darling'

Hulkster
8th June 2009, 07:15 PM
There are about 13 documented inspirations(itwofs.com), but the thing is his inspirations are so minimal that its like he is just creating a totally new track out of it with no similarity to its style. But his orchestration usually is quite original. I actually think the flashdance theme might be a coincidence but the benefit of doubt goes towards inspiration.

What are those songs? Usually our people have a habit of linking songs due to style,raagam and flow but that does not exactly mean inspirations. Its very hard to find lethal inspirations in thalaivar's music than anybody else. Its like finding a needle in a haystack.

Sureshs65
8th June 2009, 09:55 PM
irir123,

While it is clear that the initial lines have been taken the tune takes a totally different turn later and Raja builds on the initial melodic cues and he builds a very original structure. I mean, how many can even think of turning a song from a hard rock group like Uriah Heep into a comic song? While I don't condone copying I think saying these songs were copied is over-reacting. (Along with these songs we can also include 'Favorite things' song pallavi in 'Yathra'.) To me it is almost as if someone is telling Raja what song he would create if were given a pallavi like this? In earlier days I am sure he was probably under a lot of pressure to copy. I mean, how can anybody with even a little musical sense, want to copy from Boney M!!!

A few instances where the whole song was probably used is 'Pan Banaras wala' being used in Yugandhar (Telugu version of Don) and the 'Kasme Vade' song of Kalyanji Anandji, ('Kanavu Kaanum') and the 'Rocking round the clock'(?) for 'Rum Pum Pum'.

dochu
9th June 2009, 05:33 AM
IR relies on his creativity and talent. I don't think the current MD's would even stand a chance at those times with minimal technology.

Now current MD's are surviving because of technology. They are able to cleverly steal others work, modify them as much as possibe to avoid being 'seen'.

so, the talent for them is how clever they are in cloaking themselves.

To this day, to me, IR is the greatest composer on earth.

ananth222
9th June 2009, 07:15 AM
to call "entha poovilum" or "aha vanthudichi" as plagiarism is sheer stupidity and ignorance. In both cases (and most other cases where there are "similarities"), the song applies to a different situation/mood. It is very nicely adapted, to be a tribute to the "copied" tune while bringing in an original viewpoint. Using the humming for a comical situation or building an Indian folk song over a spanish classical dance piece is sheer originality in art. What really defines it is the additional original stuff in the song, not the little bit that is reproduced. There are other composers who "reproduce" complete songs, devoid of any original contribution.

Would anyone here say that "And we had a talk" from HTNI is a "copy"? But the same ppl who call the above songs a copy would also call this one a copy. The only reason they don't is because they are too ignorant and stupid to know there was someone called Bach and that he composed such a piece.

irir123
9th June 2009, 08:21 AM
ananth222, while I do understand what you are implying here, it does bug me that IR shd have taken even the first two lines of some of these tracks - not that his stature as a genius is in question, but it does leave a certain bad taste in my mouth - cant explain it

ananth222
9th June 2009, 08:48 AM
ananth222, while I do understand what you are implying here, it does bug me that IR shd have taken even the first two lines of some of these tracks - not that his stature as a genius is in question, but it does leave a certain bad taste in my mouth - cant explain itWhy? IMO, starting a pallavi with the danza tune and developing it into a folkish song is more original than forming tunes in established carnatic raagas formulated 100 years ago.
I feel that all these "copying" allegations come out of the jubilation of the accuser at having unearthed a similar sounding tune. If someone had heard the original tune first, they'd actually react pleasantly to the innovative adaptation.

rajasaranam
9th June 2009, 11:10 AM
[tscii:21f5165364]'வேண்டாம் ரீமிக்ஸ்… ராஜாவின் ஒரிஜினல் போதும்!' (http://www.envazhi.com/?p=8798)

ரீமிக்ஸும் தமிழ் சினிமாவும் பிரிக்க முடியாத சமாச்சாரம் எனும் அளவுக்கு இன்று எல்லாப் படங்களில் ஏதாவது ஒரு ரீமிக்ஸ் பாடல் இடம்பெற்று விடுகிறது.

பெரும்பாலும் இளையராஜாவின் பாடல்களைத்தான் ரீமிக்ஸ் என்ற பெயரில் போட்டு குதறி வைப்பார்கள்.

இதைவிட, அந்தப் பாடலை அப்படியே அதன் ஒரிஜினல் வடிவிலேயே போட்டுவிடலாமே… மனம் குளிர ரசித்துவிட்டுப் போகலாம் என பல ரசிகர்கள் ஏங்கியிருக்கிறார்கள்.

இப்படி ஏங்கியவர்களில் புதிய இயக்குநர் சுந்தரபாண்டியும் ஒருவர் போலிருக்கிறது. தான் முதன்முதலில் இயக்கும் ‘வைகை’ படத்தில் இசைஞானியின்ஒரு இனிய பாடலை அப்படியே அதன் ஒரிஜினாலிட்டி கெடாமல் ஒலிக்கவிட்டு அதற்கேற்ப காட்சிகளை அமைத்துள்ளார் (அந்தப் பாடல் காட்சியை படமாக்கிய இயக்குநரும் சாதாரணமானவரில்லை… அதை மனதில் வைத்துக் கொண்டு படமாக்கியிருந்தால் நல்லது!).

இதுகுறித்து சுந்தரபாண்டி கூறியதாவது:

இசைமேதை இளையராஜாவின் இசையில் ஒரு பாடலை கேட்கும்போதே, முடிவு செய்துவிடலாம், இந்தப் பாடலின் முதலும் முடிவும் இப்படித்தான் இருக்கும் என்பதை. அதை இப்படி அப்படி சின்ன மாற்றம் செய்தால்கூட பாடலின் ஜீவன கெட்டுவிடும். அந்த அளவு கச்சிதமான இசைக் கோர்வைதான் அவரது ஆர்மோனியத்திலிருந்து பிறக்கும்.

ராஜா சாரின் இசையில் ‘அலைகள் ஓய்வதில்லை’ படத்தில் இடம்பெற்ற ‘ஆயிரம் தாமரை மொட்டுக்களே…’ பாடலை, ‘வைகை’ படத்தில் ரீமிக்ஸாக வைக்க நினைத்தோம்.

‘ஆயிரம் தாமரை மொட்டுக்களே…’ பாடலை எப்போது யார் எங்கே கேட்டாலும், பாடல் முடியும் வரை அங்கேயே நின்று கேட்டுவிட்டுத்தான் நகர்வார்கள்.

உலகின் உயர்தரமான எந்த இசைக் கருவிகளைக் கொண்டு மாற்றி இசையமைத்தாலும் கூட இப் பாடலை ரீமிக்ஸ் வடிவில் நம்மால் ரசிக்க முடியாது என்பதே உண்மை.

ராஜாவின் இசையை மீறி எந்த ஒரு சாதனையையும் எங்களால் செய்துவிட முடியாது என்பதால், அவரது பாடலை சிறு சேதாரமும் இல்லாமல் அப்படியே படத்தில் பயன்படுத்தியிருக்கிறோம். ரீமிக்ஸ் என்ற பெயரில் அந்தப் பாடலைக் கெடுக்க விரும்பவில்லை. அதுதான் இந்த மண்ணுக்குப் உலக கவுரவம் தந்த இளையராஜாவுக்கு நாங்கள் செய்யும் மரியாதை…” என்றார்.
[/tscii:21f5165364]

raja_fan
9th June 2009, 12:57 PM
அவரது பாடலை சிறு சேதாரமும் இல்லாமல் அப்படியே படத்தில் பயன்படுத்தியிருக்கிறோம்.

A blatant lie :evil:

crajkumar_be
9th June 2009, 02:47 PM
Interesting Q&A Irir/Ananth :),

to call "entha poovilum" or "aha vanthudichi" as plagiarism is sheer stupidity and ignorance. In both cases (and most other cases where there are "similarities"), the song applies to a different situation/mood. It is very nicely adapted, to be a tribute to the "copied" tune while bringing in an original viewpoint. Using the humming for a comical situation or building an Indian folk song over a spanish classical dance piece is sheer originality in art. What really defines it is the additional original stuff in the song, not the little bit that is reproduced. There are other composers who "reproduce" complete songs, devoid of any original contribution.

Would anyone here say that "And we had a talk" from HTNI is a "copy"? But the same ppl who call the above songs a copy would also call this one a copy. The only reason they don't is because they are too ignorant and stupid to know there was someone called Bach and that he composed such a piece.

ananth222, while I do understand what you are implying here, it does bug me that IR shd have taken even the first two lines of some of these tracks - not that his stature as a genius is in question, but it does leave a certain bad taste in my mouth - cant explain itWhy? IMO, starting a pallavi with the danza tune and developing it into a folkish song is more original than forming tunes in established carnatic raagas formulated 100 years ago.
I feel that all these "copying" allegations come out of the jubilation of the accuser at having unearthed a similar sounding tune. If someone had heard the original tune first, they'd actually react pleasantly to the innovative adaptation.
:lol: :thumbsup:

irir123
9th June 2009, 05:54 PM
ananth222 - its a similar feeling I got when I discovered that some of (the late) Sujatha's and Kamal's movies were blatant inspirations/takeoffs from English novels and movies respectively

its not that either of these men could NOT have done everything entirely original, it sucks when they do NOT acknowledge the original creator in their works (at the time of composing/writing) and later we discover them

in IR's case, the only excuse can be, if the producer/ director asked/insisted IR to compose a tune based on the same and IR had no other choice and had to oblige

Sureshs65
9th June 2009, 06:25 PM
irir123,

Your views on films and novels being inspired and you being disappointed is fine. Mostly because the whole film or novel is taken and changes made to suit local taste, but the whole thread is taken from the movie. Case in point could be 9 to 5 and Magalir Mattum.

In case of these songs, I would rather think them to be similar to what many poets / lyricist do. That is, take a couple of lines of another poem and build a new poem / lyrics on that. For example, Gulzar takes Ghalib's couplet, "Ji Doondtha Hai" and then builds his song on that and it is beyond doubt an original song. Similarly, Veturi takes 'Dorakuna Ituvanti Seva' of Tyagaraja and builds his lyrics on that and it is original. I would take these songs in the same fashion.

(If you see the poster who had posted these samples, his intention is clear. I mean if someone can call MSV as 'Copy Cat' and put up a disclaimer when he talking about Rahman's 'inspirations', you can see where is his coming from.)

As dochu says lot of current MDs are masters in hiding their inspirations and also getting their 'inspirations' from far off and not oft heard places like Azerbaijan / Armenia etc. I listened to the links you posted and the other youtube links and could marvel at Raja's talent for seeing something that no one could possibly see. Like 'kadhal vandiduchu' in a hard rock number.

irir123
9th June 2009, 06:54 PM
Sureshs65

what would you call this then ?

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=fd21eaf9fcdfa4465a3d773badf2143072a23198 72d9fd9fb8eada0a1ae8665a

This is from John Williams (the guitarist) classics - Williams playing some famous works - I think IR adapted it for Johnny's main theme!!

but the resemblance is startling!

Hulkster
9th June 2009, 07:11 PM
irir123, the prelude starting notes(probably the first three chords) must have let you feel that it is similar. But come on, that sort of start is prevalent in most WCM compositions. There must be a very strong flow in the song to be considered plagiarised. I can understand that you cannot tolerate plagiarism. But IR does not do blatant stuff.

When it comes to music, the composer must have had some sort of pre-determined influence and style that he comes up with when he composes. IR is affected strongly by bach's style of using sonatas and counterpoints and most of his interludes have atleast three different rhythms playing against each other. If you consider such as plagiarism than thalaivar can go to jail.

ananth222
9th June 2009, 08:51 PM
its not that either of these men could NOT have done everything entirely original, it sucks when they do NOT acknowledge the original creator in their works (at the time of composing/writing) and later we discover themI agree on the acknowledgment count. But really, if he acknowledged Antonio Ruiz Pipo for a folk song from "murattu kaalai" starring Rajini, how many people would have got it? I feel he does these things for personal amusement. (IR atleast acknowledged Bach and Thyagaraja in HTNI)

As for similarities in other songs.. you guys should listen to country music. you will say everyone is copying from everyone.

Sureshs65
9th June 2009, 09:24 PM
irir123,

I am not trying to claim that songs were not copied. As I had said earlier, there are a few instances where the whole song has been copied. It is just that we need to differentiate between what has been cut and pasted and what has been taken and new structure built upon. Understanding this and accepting the cases where the song was indeed copied does not mean we are diminishing the music of Raja.

What is interesting is that in many cases where you cannot even find the resemblance Raja has openly said where he has adapted it from. (I remember him telling this about an Aboorva Sagodhararal song and a MSV song. There was no way that I would have connected these two. Same thing about 'Inji Idupazhaga' and a S D Burman song)

app_engine
9th June 2009, 09:57 PM
sigh :-(

My original post (that triggered off the whole copy discussion) was not indented to showcase someone "copying" IR at all.

It was a case of "using" IR's stuff for a commercial ad and wondering whether he gets any proceeds out of that from Saravana stores or ad agency (as IR was at one point of time known as royalty-savvy and a pioneer in getting proper compensation for music makers).

I don't think the ad-maker is claiming it's his original music or anything like that (which is what all these discussions are about).

On a similar topic, those movies that use IR songs liberally as BGM (not the remixes, the originals themselves) don't seem to show any "nanRi" titles.

Does it mean they pay the music companies that own rights to the originals? (siRu ponmaNi in subramaiyapuram, for e.g.)

IR's copies / inspirations / adaptations / acknowledging - non-acknowledging / paying-not paying etc is a different subject altogether.

app_engine
9th June 2009, 10:00 PM
I remember reading those days that each time AIR plays a film song, the film's producer got one rupee :-) That was as per the agreed terms between AIR & movie producers, as a compensation.

There may be similar arrangements between those having rights and those who use them. For e.g. if Sun TV shows a song, it has possibly paid something to the owner of the original. I was only asking about such industry practices / lack thereof.

dochu
9th June 2009, 11:11 PM
I don't mean to continue, but just my 2 c.

irir123 - I can understand what you meant by bad taste after learning IR's flicks from other sources. I was shocked too. but for such a talented guy to do something like that - there must be a reason. Either way with or without reason, considering his accomplishment, I treat it as a drop in an ocean.

In future, who knows, as we advance in technology and information, we'll learn how the current MD's or hiding their 'copying'. Already itwofs sites are pretty good at it.

I think someday, we may advance so much that, there might be a 'google' search wherein you feed a piece of music as mp3 or something and then find similar ones.

People like IR, MSV etc had real talent and did not depend on tech.

kiru
10th June 2009, 03:05 AM
Just like irir123 I also feel "let down" when I hear "IR has copied" something. Anyways, this is the first time I got to hear the originals.
My take is - many of the songs are original compositions based on a line or a phrase. My understanding is, this is a genuine/valid exercise in composition - அடி எடுத்து கொடுப்பது whether this is in lyrics or music (though it is like getting a help and so not a truly/wholely individual effort) . The funny thing is that this concept of "creating a composition" itself has become a "endangered art form". Many film songs today the pallavi and charanam are out of character. After IR, only ARR seems to do a good job. For eg. I find lots of "sore thumb"/notes in kaadhal valartheEn (from YSR). In munbe Vaa, I find the ending part ....malli etc not in line with the rest of the tune.
Hey..I am not a music expert, but I dont get this feeling in IRs or MSV or earlier MDs' songs.
That apart, we have gone past the composition of a song kind of world to a "building a song from parts" world. The new MDs are like Product Managers who pick voices, pick chords from a library, or even accept changes in tune from singers. So the current MDs are playing an "integrator" role rather than a "creator" role.

Ultimately, we have to see who is the most creative musician and I think we all dont have any doubts about that on IR, I think.

ananth222
10th June 2009, 03:22 AM
Listen to Bach's badinerie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVxwuirUX-M
the first few seconds have been used ditto by IR in an interlude. Can you tell which one? And no one has raised the copy allegation on that yet, cos no one has discovered it yet.

Have you heard "Spanish caravan" by The Doors?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JklQQ4f52RY
It uses Albeniz's "Asturias(Layenda)" ditto (and I've never seen an acknowledgment).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfFbuT3I6A
Why isn't anyone crying "copy"??

I feel all this "copy" talk is just a tool for ignorant people to belittle something they don't even understand. It is sad to see knowledgeable people also buying into it. Somehow, people take liberties judging IR in a way they wouldn't dare to do with any other artist of his stature.

venkkiram
10th June 2009, 08:07 AM
ராஜா தனக்குப்பிடித்த வேறொருவரின் இசையை உள்வாங்கி இசை அமைத்தால் அது தவறில்லை. ஆனால் அதே மற்ற இசையமைப்பாளர்கள் செய்தால் தவறு. இந்த அணுகுமுறைதான் பெரும்பாலான ராஜாவின் இசை ரசிகர்களுக்கு இருக்கிறது. சிவாஜியின் நடிப்பை நல்ல நடிப்பென்று ஒரு கூட்டமும், மிகையான நடிப்பு என்று விமர்சனம் செய்யும் ஒரு கூட்டமும் இருப்பதுபோலத்தான் ராஜாவின் இசைப்பாடல்களுக்கு வரும் விமர்சனங்களும். விமர்சனங்களே வரக்கூடாது என்ற தன்மையில் தான் ரஜினி, கமல், ராஜா, ரகுமான் போன்ற புகழடைந்தவர்களின் ரசிகர்களது இணையத்திரிகள் இயங்கி வருகிறது. இதுபோன்ற தனிவழிப்பாட்டு முறை எந்தவிதத்திலும் பலதரப்பட்ட நல்ல விஷயங்களை எடுத்துச்செல்ல, பதிவு செய்யத் தவறிவருகிறது.

ராஜாவே சொல்லிவிட்டார். எம்.எஸ்.வி, ரகுமான் மற்றும் தனது இசையெல்லாம் இசையில் பல்வேறு சுருதிகள் தான் என ராஜாவே சொல்லிவிட்டார். அப்படியிருக்கும்போது, ஏன் இந்த இணையத்தளத்தில் எம்.எஸ்.வி, ராஜா, ரகுமான் போன்ற எல்லோரது இசைப்பாடல்களையும் ஒரே இடத்தில் ஒரே திரியில் நாம் எல்லோரும் பகிர்ந்து கொள்ளக்கூடாது?

irir123
10th June 2009, 08:25 AM
Listen to Bach's badinerie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVxwuirUX-M
the first few seconds have been used ditto by IR in an interlude. Can you tell which one? And no one has raised the copy allegation on that yet, cos no one has discovered it yet.

Have you heard "Spanish caravan" by The Doors?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JklQQ4f52RY
It uses Albeniz's "Asturias(Layenda)" ditto (and I've never seen an acknowledgment).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEfFbuT3I6A
Why isn't anyone crying "copy"??

I feel all this "copy" talk is just a tool for ignorant people to belittle something they don't even understand. It is sad to see knowledgeable people also buying into it. Somehow, people take liberties judging IR in a way they wouldn't dare to do with any other artist of his stature.

THe Bach piece is adapted in the 2nd interlude of 'manjal nilavukku' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj11EyIozaM

from 3:33 onwards, right ? thats a very short piece and a clear inspiration, but developed well by IR

I can point out several other hidden usages in other IR songs as well - they dont bother me much - for instance, the song"madai thiranthu" sounds a bit like BoneyM's "one way ticket" - the feel is the same, may have been inspired

but the aforementioned pieces in kalyanaraman etc are a different story

Sureshs65
10th June 2009, 09:05 AM
I agree with kiru. Music today seems to be more an integration thing than composing stuff. Looking for consistency in the whole song seems to be a thing of past (if you don't take Raja into consideration). Many parts of the song do not match the spirit of the song. Hope I am not opening another thread of discussion here. We have already frustrated app_eng enough :)

Plum
10th June 2009, 05:58 PM
app_engine, informal-a IR works a desiyamayamakkittanga :-)

A.ANAND
10th June 2009, 06:25 PM
[tscii:6bac0f5e18]Ilayaraja in Goa

June 09, 2009

Goa, which is directed by Venkat Prabhu, is moving on at a rapid pace and shaping up well. The film is jointly produced by Soundarya Rajinikanth¡¯s Ocher Studios and Warner Bros. Yuvan Shankar Raja has scored the music for this film.

Premji Amaren plays a significant role in Goa, which has Jai and Sneha in the lead roles. As per sources close to the Goa unit, Premji will feature in a song sequence in the film. According to the grapevine, Premji had requested on having his uncle, Maestro Ilayaraja render his voice for the song and conveyed the same to his cousin Yuvan. Thanks to Yuvan¡¯s effort, everything turned out fine with Ilayaraja giving his consent.

[/tscii:6bac0f5e18]

venkkiram
13th June 2009, 05:48 PM
[tscii:3f3a033a57]-- சாருலதா இணையத்தள சமீபத்திய கட்டுரையிலிருந்து...

============================================

சமீபத்தில் இளையராஜாவின் திருவாசம் பாடல்களில் ஒன்றை ரொம்பவும் நெக்குருகிக் கேட்டுக் கொண்டிருந்தேன். அவந்திகா “உங்களுக்குத்தான் இளையராஜாவைப் பிடிக்காதே?” என்று ஆச்சரியமாகக் கேட்டாள்.

“ஆமாம், பிடிக்காது.”

“அப்புறம் இது என்ன?”

“ம், என்ன?”

“இதை இப்படி உருகி உருகிக் கேட்கிறீர்கள்?”

“ஆமாம், கேட்பேன்.”

“அடச்சே, லூஸு... உன் கிட்ட கேட்க வந்தேன் பார்” என்று தலையில் அடித்துக் கொண்டே போய் விட்டாள்.

============================================[/tscii:3f3a033a57]

raja_fan
13th June 2009, 07:59 PM
Venkiram,

Andha loosukku ippo thaan "naan oru loosu" enra gnaanam vandhirukku pola :)

rajasaranam
13th June 2009, 11:10 PM
Venkiram,

Andha loosukku ippo thaan "naan oru loosu" enra gnaanam vandhirukku pola :)
When I read last week in his blog about his recent obssession with 'Soudharya lahari' of 'Adi Shankara' I thouhgt... " romba thooram illadi nee Raaja kitta vanthu searrathukku " :lol: itho vanthu konde irukiraar :twisted:

vigneshram
13th June 2009, 11:40 PM
ராஜாவின் இசையும் சில கோணல் எழுத்துக்களும்

http://vigneshram.blogspot.com/2009/06/blog-post_13.html

Sureshs65
15th June 2009, 02:39 PM
Watched SPB's 'Ennodu Paatu Padungal' on Jaya TV when the program was more than half over. The judge was a mridangam artist. I think his name is Srinivas. When I switched on, he seems to have just spoken in detail about Raja and said what a genius he was. He then wondered as to how someone could think of using mridagam aggressively when communicating first love. He said, "I can understand someone using tabla or some other soft instrument but this man used the mridangam" and went on to vocalize the 'solkattu' of the mridangam beats which start "Ayiram Tamarai Mottukale". He ended by saying, "What can I say? Only he can do it. He is great." SPB sang the first line of the song and was nodding his head to what the mridangist was saying. He also sang a nice rhythm based 'Guru Vandanam' (his own composition) at the end of the program.

Sureshs65
15th June 2009, 02:44 PM
After posting I realized my last line could be confusing. It was not SPB who sang the Guru Vandanam. It was the mridangist who sang it.

Sureshs65
15th June 2009, 11:35 PM
Luckily one 'punyavan' has loaded this part, which I had referred to, in youtube. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbas3DwfmMY

The mridangam vidwan, Srinivas, talks about Illayraja after 4 mins into the clip.

You can hear Srinivas singing a very nice Guru Vandanam here:

Starts after 3 mins into the clip.

Sureshs65
15th June 2009, 11:37 PM
Missed giving the Guru Vandanam song link. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYN6o_A6jxs&feature=related

app_engine
17th June 2009, 09:40 PM
IR trying to get back into production again ?

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/telugu/top-stories/2009/sivaji-actor-producer-170609.html

app_engine
18th June 2009, 09:20 PM
[tscii:df40205107]http://www.thetimes.co.za/Entertainment/Article.aspx?id=1009199

ISAI Nyaani Illaiyaraja made one of his rare public appearances when he graced the launch of the audio of Valmiki, the second production of Vikadan Talkies. Anandhanarayaanan, a former assistant to director Shankar, makes his debut as a director in Valmiki. Akil, who made an impressive debut in Balaji Sakthivel’s Kalloori, plays the lead role opposite Meera Nandan and Devika. The event was also attended by directors Shankar and Lungusamy. In his address, Illaiyaraja spoke of the reasons for his reluctance in making public appearances, saying his words were always misinterpreted. As if to prove this point, the English press of Tamil Nadu have spoken of Illaiyaraja’s “arrogance” and “aloofness” in his speech when he spoke about his life, which revolves around music. Of significance was his comment about director Myss-kin and how he had not heard from him since the re-recording of the film Nandhalala. He added that such contact between them was unnecessary as they had a mutual understanding of each other (Mysskin was also one of the speakers). The English press have taken one tabloid’s English translation and have since gone on surfeit of lies and half-truths about Illiayaraja’s arrogance. It is sad when a musical genius like Illaiyaraja, who shaped the destiny of music in Tamil cinema, is shown little respect by a generation of journalists who, in all probability, have little idea about his accomplishments.

[/tscii:df40205107]

Hulkster
19th June 2009, 02:25 PM
Ilaiyaraaja, Yanni and Butterfly Dance (http://www.orkut.com/Main#CommMsgs.aspx?cmm=34613&tid=5348779359509267545)

The above link showcases Yanni's lifestyle and music and a excerpt from the article compares Yanni with thalaivar. Basically Yanni composed this song called Butterfly Dance which is a very unique form of music.

the link here :

Butterfly Dance by Yanni (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_H08aJalTQ)

But the article writer claims that thalaivar already composed such a style for the film MTK, the song is ooru sanam(which the orchestration was all by thalaivar).

Ooru Sanam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxY-ESH-pXg)

app_engine
25th June 2009, 09:27 PM
http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=496422&disdate=6/25/2009

Bhagyaraj recalls an episode during mundhAnai mudichchu days. As his first film 'suvar illAdha siththirangaL' and the subsequent silver jubillee hit 'mouna geethangaL' had GA as MD, he was firm about using GA for MM it seems.

(Bhagyaraj meanwhile had used MSV for oru kai Osai / andha 7 nAtkaL, Shankar Ganesh for darling^3, IR for indRu pOi nALai vA, thooRal ninnu pOchchu & vidiyum varai kAththiru, which are not mentioned in this article / speech)

As AVM was insisting on IR, Bhagyaraj had to go to him. As expected, IR refused pointing to the fact that GA was the director's first choice. Bhagyaraj had to reason with IR as "is GA an african, is he not your own thambi etc. " and it took a great deal to make him agree it seems :-)

Commercially, MM is the biggest ever hit for Bhagyaraj and only very few films in TF history can match its success (i.e. within TN). To this day he is recognized for 'murungaikkAi samAchchAram' than anything else :wink:

rajasaranam
26th June 2009, 01:23 PM
Velu Prabhakaran's 'Kadhal Arangam' has been changer to 'Kadhal kadhai' and set to release in july as per a paper AD in ThinaThanthi. Hopefully audio should be released soon.
An old Trailer Here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcr2YJzkvF4

rajasaranam
27th June 2009, 09:32 AM
Trailer of 'Prem Kahani'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8to0yjphiw
Visuals look good and Sheila Looks fresh. Hope the Director doesnt spoil both :)

Hulkster
30th June 2009, 06:15 PM
Thalaivar's Mouna Raagam Score discussed in the Cultural Study of Music in Google Books.

Original Source :

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Dr J Vijay Venkatraman <drjvvr@yahoo. com> wrote:

Dear All,

I happened to get a preview of a couple of pages from the book 'The Cultural Study of Music' on Google Books which talks about our Maestro's work in 'Mouna Raagam'.

Here is the link:

http://books.google.co.in/books?id=Gdk7-mItegwC&lpg=PA293&dq=Ilayaraaja&lr=&pg=PA293

I would be happy to know what you feel about this book. Also, if someone could throw more light on the background of the authors of the book, it would be great.

It says our Maestro's name entered the Guinness Book of World Records for the maximum number of movie scores. Is it true? Do any of us have information about this?

Yours Always Musically,
Vijay.

K
30th June 2009, 10:34 PM
http://selventhiran.blogspot.com/2009/06/blog-post_29.html

intha kodumaya enna solla

app_engine
30th June 2009, 11:38 PM
K,
If someone listens to the song for the first time in the movie hall, however great the song may be, what they see on-screen will have a great bearing on how they like the song.

If they've listened it prior -like those of us here in this forum - then the opinion will be on musical considerations alone and the video won't have any impact even when viewed later.

Ofcourse, people may dislike a movie's songs for many reasons; but to write that vAlmIki is IR's end etc only shows that the person has a pre-planned agenda. Such "opinions" have zero credentials for "review". That too when an IR-long-timer like me enjoys at least four songs from this movie for more than a month continuously, such opinions automatically earn their place in the garbage:-)

jaiganes
1st July 2009, 01:17 AM
K,
If someone listens to the song for the first time in the movie hall, however great the song may be, what they see on-screen will have a great bearing on how they like the song.

If they've listened it prior -like those of us here in this forum - then the opinion will be on musical considerations alone and the video won't have any impact even when viewed later.

Ofcourse, people may dislike a movie's songs for many reasons; but to write that vAlmIki is IR's end etc only shows that the person has a pre-planned agenda. Such "opinions" have zero credentials for "review". That too when an IR-long-timer like me enjoys at least four songs from this movie for more than a month continuously, such opinions automatically earn their place in the garbage:-)

All opinions are just that opinions - all of them are like corporate policies - they deserve to be in garbage only - however for a short time - they can provide some pointers to have good fun - like what I am having with 'Azhagar Malai' songs and like what corporate managers have while rejecting expense reimbursement claims.

kiru
1st July 2009, 10:10 AM
The tone of the poster shows that he has no inkling about the prowess of IR or the emotional power of IR's music. These kind of people go by a very subjective view of the music. IMHO, this is a post to be ignored. The quality/content of posts here is much better than in many blog/reports.

Sureshs65
1st July 2009, 10:42 AM
True kiru. As I had said in an earlier post, the net is very democratic and many a times we see lack of application of mind. I would say the best thing is to silently ignore such blogs and not give them more traffic by pointing to them :)

raja_fan
1st July 2009, 12:13 PM
http://solvanam.com/?p=315

Sureshs65
1st July 2009, 03:59 PM
raja_fan,

Thanks for the link. A very nice article. As he says, Illayaraja is probably the only music director who has been able to break multiple barriers effortlessly. I guess the more people know about music the more they are drawn to Raja's music.

thumburu
1st July 2009, 06:07 PM
In today's visual media explosion, a song is valued only by how good the movie's bo pull is or how appealing the star cast is.
Reason why even substandard songs from popular movies like "ayan" , "padikkadhavan" etc are topping the charts
Iam happy songs from dud movies like "ninaivellam nitya","nizhalgaL", "kadhal oviyam" etc came out during radio days

Sureshs65
1st July 2009, 07:54 PM
thumburu,

One important reason why you see mediocre songs from 'Ayyan', 'Padikadhavan' "topping" the charts is that these are promoted by Sun TV. Anytime I switch to Sun Music it is always a song from one of their movies. Their current fav are songs from 'Masilamani'.

anegan
1st July 2009, 08:47 PM
I think the glaring western/pop/rap kind music is what makes these songs popular. That is not the kind of stuff I want but there are people who think west is great.
Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z86LscyJhNY to hearNamrata ke Saagar. Do you think this song could have been made popular? I don't understand why Ilayaraja plays such a low key in spite of composing great gems like this.

app_engine
1st July 2009, 10:21 PM
Digression -

Their current fav are songs from 'Masilamani'.

It's their production and / or distribution (i.e. K mARan vazhangum stuff) :-) No wonder they're promoting it!

jaiganes
1st July 2009, 11:17 PM
I think the glaring western/pop/rap kind music is what makes these songs popular. That is not the kind of stuff I want but there are people who think west is great.
Go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z86LscyJhNY to hearNamrata ke Saagar. Do you think this song could have been made popular? I don't understand why Ilayaraja plays such a low key in spite of composing great gems like this.

The first few minutes flute - simply stops my heart.
When the song ends you come back to senses and pray it continues for 10 more minutes.
Naamallaam romba punniyam senjirukkanum - to live in the shadow of Raaja.

MumbaiRamki
2nd July 2009, 12:51 AM
Namrata Ki Saagar is a gem , esp flkute and the picturisation was apt !!!

crajkumar_be
2nd July 2009, 01:47 AM
Mahatma and the musical Mahatma :notworthy:

P.S: I don't share the disdain for the music of the west etc and i don't think even IR does

MADDY
2nd July 2009, 09:28 AM

P.S: I don't share the disdain for the music of the west etc and i don't think even IR does

breathtaking :thumbsup: ......

:exactly: for P.S -- IR himself is one of the western classical music gods......IR has composed pop and rap too - problem is when we try to "restrict" the definition of what good music is....

jaiganes
2nd July 2009, 12:45 PM

breathtaking :thumbsup: ......

:exactly: for P.S -- IR himself is one of the western classical music gods......IR has composed pop and rap too - problem is when we try to "restrict" the definition of what good music is....

The context where what music should be used also matters.
In fact - biggest service rendered by raaja is popularization of the notion that all music forms are fundamentally the same. It is the artist and the rasika that bring in the difference depending upon the time, place and context of usage or 'prayogam'.
Even pop and rap have their significance and value - The cultural context of rap is very very significant, though the youngsters in india try to belittle it by using for all and sundry and in an effort to sound hip and modern. Classic case - padikkadhavan bittukku RAP music thevai illai - in the same sense - vibrant kuthu is wasted on vishal in thoranai.

thumburu
4th July 2009, 01:46 AM
Hearing "namratha ke saagar" fills me with a sulime feeling , the one I feel when I listen to MSSubbalakshmi's "Bhaja govindam" or "Venkatachala nilayam"

krish244
4th July 2009, 10:06 PM
[tscii:ee5b1e029e]Any idea which IR's song/album been nominated to Just Plain Folks 2009 Music Awards, to be held on August 29, in Nashville, Tennessee, USA?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Regional-Stars/Double-bonanza-for-Krosswindz/articleshow/4738139.cms

"But aren’t you scared of direct competition with Rahman and Ilaiyaraaja?
We feel humbled. Rahman belongs to this age and time, but Ilaiyaraaja is a living legend. I’ve grown up listening to his songs. Getting nominated with both of them is a huge honour. About getting jittery, I guess, we are a bit. "

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:ee5b1e029e]

K
4th July 2009, 10:30 PM
http://radiospathy.blogspot.com/search/label/இளையராஜா

anegan
5th July 2009, 04:26 AM
[tscii:8604c45fbf]Any idea which IR's song/album been nominated to Just Plain Folks 2009 Music Awards, to be held on August 29, in Nashville, Tennessee, USA?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Regional-Stars/Double-bonanza-for-Krosswindz/articleshow/4738139.cms
[/tscii:8604c45fbf]

Thanks for the info Krishnan.

Please go to http://www.jpfolks.com/MusicAwards/2009/Nominees/Song.htm for the list of ARR and IR nominations. Scroll down to Indian Song Nominees section or search for Ilaiyaraaja on the page.

Raja is nomiated for Veetukku and Elankaathu
Rahman for ILLAMAI, INNISAI, KATRIL ORU VARTHAI from God father.

-Anegan

K
8th July 2009, 10:49 PM
http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2009/July/080709c.asp

No Raja in Kangalum Kavi Paaduthey

jaiganes
8th July 2009, 11:19 PM
http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2009/July/080709c.asp

No Raja in Kangalum Kavi Paaduthey

adappaavee adappaavee.
mostly it could be the case when the director was removed, Raaja also would have opted out. just speculation.

MumbaiRamki
8th July 2009, 11:28 PM
???

KKP's music was also out ...and now they changed MD ?

Sanjeevi
8th July 2009, 11:34 PM
???

KKP's music was also out ...and now they changed MD ?

I think only for BGM :wink:

Sanjeevi
9th July 2009, 12:09 AM
http://radiospathy.blogspot.com/search/label/இளையராஜா

Thank you for posting this

Sanjeevi
9th July 2009, 12:11 AM
And...

Guys do you know what is current sensational ringtone in TN??

it is none other than the prelude of Vazhkai's "Mella Mella" song.

Sarvam is flop but this is super hit

app_engine
13th July 2009, 06:56 PM
[tscii:9f86238e05]http://www.desipundit.com/baradwajrangan/2009/07/11/between-reviews-make-mine-a-double/

B Rangan once again talks about the phenomenon of using IR songs in current movies :-)

YOU DON’T NEED TO KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN to see that Vasanth’s new telefilm – Visaranai Commission, shaped for Doordarshan and sourced from Sa Kandasamy’s Sahitya Akademi award-winning novel – is rooted in the senses and the sensibilities of The New Tamil Cinema. You just need your ears. You just need to listen to the soundtrack spilling over with Kannan oru kaikuzhandhai and Ponmaalai pozhudhu and Ennadi Meenatchi and En vaanile ore vennila. What is it about Ilayaraja’s glorious early period that today’s filmmakers seek to recapture in their works? Is it just a whiff of a particular time – and if that is all, why not sneak in the occasional chartbuster by Shankar-Ganesh or T Rajendar or even Chandrabose? Or is the connection more personal, a declaration that this is the music these filmmakers were weaned on, this is the music that became milestones along the way to where they are today?

That, thankfully, is not the only way Visaranai Commission slots itself alongside the likes of Subramaniyapuram and Pasanga.

[/tscii:9f86238e05]

rajasaranam
13th July 2009, 07:29 PM
a_e,

Lets Discuss this trend in the new thread 'HERE' (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=13229)

Plum
14th July 2009, 07:40 PM
P Jayachandran says Raja is the king of re-recording (http://passionforcinema.com/interview_jayachandran)

Namakku theriyum dhaan, irundhaalum adhaiye oru perumpulli solrache, oru alpa sandhosham...

jaiganes
14th July 2009, 07:54 PM
neenga mundhindutel plum!!!

Plum
14th July 2009, 07:59 PM
jaiganes, i noticed that you had posed a few questions in that interview. oru Arva kOLaru-la naane pOttutten inga

jaiganes
15th July 2009, 01:29 AM
thats ok - but i would appreciate if folks can write up a good review of recent works of raaja along with links to audio samples and post in PFC - it is a wide platform - would be nice to see how a nationwide audience reacts to some concepts that we in TFM hub have been discussing and dissecting in Raaja's songs for a long time, like counterpoints and raagas in film music. I am not doing myself as my raaga knowledge is very limited and I am not that good in writing reviews/articles on music as well.

K
15th July 2009, 01:05 PM
http://www.nakkheeran.in/users/frmArticles.aspx?A=2813
இளையராஜாவுடன் எப்படி நட்பு ஏற்பட்டது? "திருவாசக' சிம்பொனித் திட்டம் எப்படி உருவானது? அதில் ஒரு கோடி ரூபாய் இழப்பு ஏற்பட்டதாக வெளியான தகவல்கள் உண்மைதானா?

""ஒரு கோடி ரூபாய் என்பது தவறான தகவல். எழுபத்தியிரண்டு லட்ச ரூபாய் கடனாளி ஆக வேண்டிய சூழல் ஏற்பட்டது. அந்த அற்புதமான முயற்சிக்கு முன்னால் கடன் எனக்கு சுமை யாகத் தெரியவில்லை. நான் 2002-ல் சென்னை வந்து "தமிழ் மையம்' தொடங்கிய பிறகு, இளையராஜா அவர்கள் நல்ல தொரு இசை முயற்சி செய்ய விரும்புகிறார் என்ற தகவல் தற்செயலாக எனக்குக் கிடைக்க, உடனே அவரைச் சந்தித்தேன். சிம்பொனியில் "திருவாசகம்' திட்டத்தைத் தொடங்கினோம். என்னை இளையராஜாவிடம் அழைத்துச் சென்றவர்கள், எனது வெளிநாட்டுத் தொடர்புகளை எல்லாம் நன்கு அறிந்தவர்கள். நிதி திரட்டுவது எளிதாக இருக்கும் என்பதனால், என்னை அவரிடம் அழைத்துச் சென்றிருக்கலாம். ஆனால் ஈழத் தமிழ் மக்களோடு எனக்கிருந்த உறவை, இந்த இசைத் திட்டத் தோடு நான் தொடர்பு படுத்த விரும்பவில்லை. எளிதாக இருக்கும் என்று தொடங்கிய அந்தப் பணி, பெரும் சுமையாக மாறிவிட்டது. மொத்தம் ஒன்றரை கோடி ரூபாய் திரட்ட வேண்டிய கட்டாயம். ஆனால் நன்கொடைகள் மூலம் பதினைந்து லட்சம்தான் திரட்ட முடிந்தது. வேறு வழியில்லாமல் கன்னாபின்னாவென்று வட்டிக்கு கடன் வாங்கி அந்தத் திட்டத்தை முடித்தேன். தொடர்ந்து உழைத்துக் கொண்டே இருப்பதால் இவற்றை சரி செய்துவிடலாம் என்று நம்பி னேன். இதையெல்லாம் அந்த நேரத்தில் நான் சொல்லவில்லை. ஏனென்றால் அந்தப் படைப்பு ஒரு அற்புதமான படைப்பாக வெளிவந்தது. இன்னொரு காரணம் "திருவாசகம்' ஒரு புனிதமான பக்தி நூல். அதை நான் கறைபடுத்த விரும்பவில்லை.''

"திருவாசக' சிம்பொனிக்கு வரவேற்பு எப்படியிருந்தது? திருவாசக சிம்பொனி சிம்பொ னியே அல்ல; அது தேவாலயங் களில் வாசிக்கப்படும் ஆரட் டோரியா என்ற விமர்சனங் கள் வந்ததே?

""திருவாசகத்துக்குப் பெரு வாரியான மக்களிடமிருந்து வரவேற்பு குவிந்தது. என்னைப் பொறுத்தவரை அதுதான் முக்கியம் என்று கருதுகிறேன். எப்போதுமே ஒரு நல்ல முயற்சி யில் இறங்குகிறபோது அடிப் படைவாதிகளிடமிருந்து விமர் சனம் வரும். ஒரு கத்தோலிக்க பாதிரியார் எதற்காக இவ்வளவு பெரும் பணத்தை, ஒரு இந்து "திருவாசக'த்துக்குக் கொட்ட வேண்டும் என்று கிறிஸ்துவ அடிப்படைவாதிகளிடமிருந்து விமர்சனம் வந்தது. இந்து அடிப் படைவாதிகளுக்கோ சமரச சன்மார்க்கம் என்பது சுட்டுப் போட்டாலும் வராது. ஒரு பகைமை இருந்தால்தான் நாம் பிழைப்பு நடத்த முடியும் என்று அஜண்டா வைத்திருப்பவர்கள். எனவே அவர்களிடமிருந்தும் "இதைச் செய்வதற்கு நீ யார்?' என்கிற ரீதியில் எதிர்ப்புகள் வந்தன. யாரும் எதற்கும் உரிமை கொண்டாட முடியாது என்பது எனது கருத்து. மேலும் நாம் சரியாக இருக்கும்போது, யார் நம் சட்டையைப் பிடித்துக் கேட்க முடியும் என்ற கர்வம் எப்போதும் எனக்கு உண்டு. எனவே திருவாசக சிம்பொனி, சிம்பொனி அல்ல என்பதையெல்லாம் நான் காதில் போட்டுக் கொள்ளவோ கண்டுகொள்ளவோ இல்லை. காரணம், உலகில் இரண்டு விஷயங்களை மட்டும்தான் வரையறுத்துக் கட்டுப்படுத்த முடியாது. ஒன்று கடவுள்; மற் றொன்று இசை. இசைக்கென்று பல்வேறு வடிவங்கள் இருக் கின்றன. நாங்கள் முயன்றது சிம்பொனி ஆரட்டோரியா என்ற புதிய வடிவம். இதில் சிம்பொனித் தன்மையும் உண்டு; ஆரட்டோரியா தன்மையும் உண்டு. இந்த இணைதல் மிக மேன்மையாக நிகழ்ந்தது. இதில் யாரை ஏமாற்றினோம் அல்லது ஏமாற்ற வேண்டிய தேவைகள் என்ன? இசைக்கு எந்த பங்களிப் பும் செய்யாமல் விளம்பரம் தேட நினைக்கிற கும்பலின் புலம்பல்களை நாம் பொருட் படுத்தத் தேவையில்லை.''

irir123
15th July 2009, 07:34 PM
FYKI, many of IR's instrumental albums being re-released in newly remastered format!

Recent worldwide release(s) of Ilaiyaraaja's music:

http://www.saayee.com/saayee/soul_core.html (contains remastered versions of IR's 80s hits!!)

http://www.saayee.com/saayee/Thiruvasakam.html

http://www.saayee.com/saayee/Music_Journey.html

http://www.saayee.com/saayee/The_Music_Messiah.html

http://www.saayee.com/saayee/India_24_Hours.html

http://www.saayee.com/saayee/Master_Pieces_Of_Ilaiyaraaja.html

http://www.saayee.com/saayee/Isai_Gnani_Ilaiyaraaja_Hits_on_Keyboard_%26_Sax.ht ml

http://www.saayee.com/saayee/Ilaiyaraaja.html

K
15th July 2009, 09:40 PM
http://www.envazhi.com/?p=9701

Hulkster
16th July 2009, 06:46 AM
http://www.ilaiyaraaja.in/ilaiyaraaja/home.html

Ilaiyaraaja's new website by Agi music. It is currently under construction. Has a article on Ilaiyaraaja by Sir John Scott. :bluejump:

raja_fan
16th July 2009, 06:50 AM
* deleted *

ezy0265
16th July 2009, 01:59 PM
Just look at his claim that he only managed to collect 15 lakhs from fund raising....that is less than S$50,000. NRIs from all over the world were raising fund in big way and he now claims that he only got 15 lakhs??? Something is really fishy...
and just look at the tone of using the word "naam", as if he had such a big role in the actual music content itself!!!...full of crab!!!

Plum
16th July 2009, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I suppose HUB contribution-E might have been greater than 15 Lakhs. Very very fishy.

raja_fan
16th July 2009, 06:14 PM
* deleted *

Hulkster
16th July 2009, 06:35 PM
The saddest part of all this news is that such a magnificent album is being caught in between. Well now Agi Music are rereleasing them. Lets hope when thalaivar wants to do a instrumental album again he has someone not that cunning to help him.

Plum
16th July 2009, 06:46 PM
raja_fan, st thomas-thiruvalluvar padam edukkaradhO, thiruvasagam vechu evangelise pandradhO, sattapadi kutram illai. Imathabadiyum blood pressure egirra vishayam illai. t should be fine. But money swindle paNNi irundha, now thats a punishable crime.
Movie paarthu tamizhnaattu makkaL ellaam ThiruvaLLuvar= St Thomas Sishyan-nu nenaippanganu solradhu is insulting to tamizhnattu makkaL. In the end, you will believe what you want to believe. And he who believes Thomas is Valluvar's guru will believe that irrespective of the film.

raja_fan
16th July 2009, 07:09 PM
Movie paarthu tamizhnaattu makkaL ellaam ThiruvaLLuvar= St Thomas Sishyan-nu nenaippanganu solradhu is insulting to tamizhnattu makkaL

Appadi ninaikkaraa maadhiri thaan padam edukkaradhaa news..
adhu insultaa ? illai andha news-ai unga kitte naan solradhu insultaa ? Sari..poruththirundhu paarppom.

And there are a lot of things which can be legal according to law..but there are things law alone cannot protect..one such thing is cultural identity..I am one of those "fanatics" who worry about it ! :)

rajasaranam
16th July 2009, 08:27 PM
And there are a lot of things which can be legal according to law..but there are things law alone cannot protect..one such thing is cultural identity..I am one of those "fanatics" who worry about it ! :)

kaibar Kanavaaykku velila irunthu vantha elalthayum thiruppi anupchida vendiyathuthaan :wink:

Iam just wondering Pant, shirt, brush, soap, powder, consumer products etc., etc., ...innaikku naama anubavikra ellathaiyum 'kaalachaara kaarangalukkaaga' thooki erinjittu komanamum, vettiyum kattittu veppanguchi, vasambu, santhanam, + olai chuvadi mattume intha mannin adaiyalangalnnu vaazhthida mudiyumaa?
Cultural identity :huh: Fanatism will lead to Fascism slowly... but surely, if we dont identify it and curb in the beginning stages itself :|

Plum
16th July 2009, 08:48 PM
ada pongappa, what is your cultural identity. Anyone thinks they can answer that?
Just a few days back equa talked about the humility to not presume on behalf of nature. This seems to be episode 2 in that

raja_fan
16th July 2009, 08:51 PM
kaibar Kanavaaykku velila irunthu vantha elalthayum thiruppi anupchida vendiyathuthaan

Hope the moderater does not delete this message of mine !

RS,

I hope you are referring to Aryan Invasion theory. Thanks for reminding that :wink:

Do you know that even Aryan-Dravidian baseless poison was spread by people like Jegath Gasper, to divide Indians for their own gains ? Caldwell was the main man behind that.

Please read "The Invasion that never was" by Michael Danini ( He is not a fundamentalist "fanatic", but an European ).

vetti sattayai thookki pottuttu ungalukku pidichcha endha aadayaiyum pottukkalaam..aanaal avan vandhu "un vetti sattai, vaazhkkai murai ellam waste..vandhu enga vazhila vandhu seru..enga kadavul thaan unnai kaappaaththuvaar" nu sollum podhu thaan pirachanaye thodangudhu ;)

raja_fan
16th July 2009, 08:55 PM
ada pongappa, what is your cultural identity. Anyone thinks they can answer that?
Just a few days back equa talked about the humility to not presume on behalf of nature. This seems to be episode 2 in that

Plum,

I think you are the moderator who deleted my messages.
That is ok. But after deleting my "irrelevant" messages, on what basis are you posting your question on the same topic ? Be fair sir please...

I can agree that we can discuss this through private messages, as this is a musical forum only.

Plum
16th July 2009, 09:11 PM
raja_fan:
I am moderate but not a moderator. :-)

raja_fan
16th July 2009, 09:19 PM
RS and Plum,

Please check your private messages.

raja_fan
16th July 2009, 09:21 PM
Coming back to music,

I heard that D.K.Pattammal , the carnatic legend who sang "Vaishnava janato.." for IR in Hey Ram passed away today..:(

irir123
16th July 2009, 10:08 PM
vetti sattayai thookki pottuttu ungalukku pidichcha endha aadayaiyum pottukkalaam..aanaal avan vandhu "un vetti sattai, vaazhkkai murai ellam waste..vandhu enga vazhila vandhu seru..enga kadavul thaan unnai kaappaaththuvaar" nu sollum podhu thaan pirachanaye thodangudhu ;)

adhey adhey! kadavul thaan prachanaiyey - kadavulai orangatti vechhaley mukkaal vaasi prachanai theerndhudum!

adhey kadavul perai vechutthan 'evolution'aiyey poi/thappunnellaam solli uyirai vaanguraainga - to the extent tat, a Virginia based fundamentalist (Liberty) university is trying to 'teach' its students that dinosaurs lived 2000 years ago, only to justify the creationist view of life as written in one certain religious book - http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/2006/11/not_a_trivial_e.html :roll: :hammer: :banghead:

aanaanappatta americavilayey ippadinnaa, namma orrla ivainga vudura doopukku alavey kidaiyaathu

konjam vitta, tamil mozhi pirappidamey, jerusalem alladhu nazareth appadinnu kooda solluvainga!

yellaam oru desperation thaan

raja_fan
17th July 2009, 07:01 AM
adhey adhey! kadavul thaan prachanaiyey - kadavulai orangatti vechhaley mukkaal vaasi prachanai theerndhudum!

Kadavul concept enbadhe oru evolution thaan..adhai neenga onnum seiyya mudiyaadhi..orankattiyum vaikka mudiyaadhu..

Mozhinaala pirachchanai vandhaa thamizhai orangatti vachiruveengalaa ? avanavanukku avanavan mozhiyum madhamum mukkiyamnu ninaikkanum. maththavan veetla mookka nozhaikka koodadhunnu ninaikkanum. Adhu thaan theervu.

madham enbadhu nalla vishayangal ulladhu. adhukku kattu padum podhe ivlo pirachchanai naa, adhu illai naa eppadi irukkum ? ;)

Science kooda thaan pala pirachchanai..War, destruction , pollution etc etc..adhukku enna solreenga..

Sureshs65
17th July 2009, 09:32 AM
Using typical Project Manager's lingo, can I request people to take the current religious discussions 'offline':) I am sure these are something everyone is interested in and has strong views but this is 'beyond the scope' of this thread :)

Let us have the team members giving us updates on what is happening on 'Chal Chale', 'Pazhassi Raja', 'Madhiya Chennai' etc. Those going off tangent will be given a 'Need Improvement' in their appraisal :)

raja_fan
17th July 2009, 10:32 AM
Sureshs65,

In Nayagan's lingo
avangala vida sollunga..naan vidaren :)

Chelian
17th July 2009, 11:54 AM
I wish IR stop wearing his 80's cap.
Listening to Valmiki or azhagar malai..i feel like I got transported back to 80's,,,the only missing thing is the tunes are not as mesmerising as back then.
I dont know how his recent other non tamil songs are...???
You folks here were singing praise about the abovementioned 2 film songs for past few months. I only listened to them recently and utterly dissappointed.Except for 1 or 2 songs the others were average IMO.IR's 70's songs are different from his 80's songs; and his early 80's songs different from his late 80's song,,so on,,My point is this genious always had innovation in his mind.If I were to meet IR I would say ' Please dont make songs like eighties,,we have hundreds of hits from the past if we want those' GIve us innovative new songs,,with new fusion /arrangement,,the way you always do back in your heyday. And now you got lesser assignment please concentrate a bit more on arrangement and mixing ; at least on few selected assignments.

Hulkster
17th July 2009, 12:15 PM
Chelian, I think you are influenced by the current trend and want IR to keep up. Problem is IR is considered music god and has already done what these youngsters today are doing in his own style. Asking him to reinnovate when he has already done everything is like a mockery of his legacy.

All he needs to do now is to release his long pending symphony or come up with a experimental non-film album. Otherwise the rest we will take it as they come like always.

Plum
17th July 2009, 02:20 PM
Using typical Project Manager's lingo, can I request people to take the current religious discussions 'offline':) I am sure these are something everyone is interested in and has strong views but this is 'beyond the scope' of this thread :)

Let us have the team members giving us updates on what is happening on 'Chal Chale', 'Pazhassi Raja', 'Madhiya Chennai' etc. Those going off tangent will be given a 'Need Improvement' in their appraisal :)

oh, oh, neengaLUmA? Prabhu Ram, ivarum namma settu :-)

rajasaranam
17th July 2009, 02:47 PM

oh, oh, neengaLUmA? Prabhu Ram, ivarum namma settu :-)

enna settu periya shaving settu :D

Plum
17th July 2009, 02:50 PM

Oh Madhya Chennai-nu oru padam pandraara?
Karthik did Singaara Chennai
Yuvan did Chennai-28

kiru
18th July 2009, 01:07 PM
Chelian,
Let me add to Hulkster's point with some examples - haven't you listened to completely bassline driven songs like germaniyin, ilamai enum poongaRRu ? Almost rhythm looped songs like meen kodi thEril ? unique rhythm arrangements like poongkathavE etc ..
So to IR who is focussed more on basics/classic approach to music, just giving different rhythm arrangements or new sounds is not really challenging. Songs like from Guru(malayalam) are probably his passion.
Even though I like the new songs I dont think it is a big deal for him to do these. There are some innovative things in these albums but not really that big. I am excited because they are still fresh and keeps IR in the fray. This will help in selling any new non-filmy works.

fan_ir
20th July 2009, 12:46 AM
When ever I hear this piece, i can only think of one...IRish...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QStm3ZyzgY0

krish244
20th July 2009, 08:32 PM
[tscii:7ff269bc61]About non-telugu music directors:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ENTERTAINMENT-Music-Musical-maestros-not-tuned-in/articleshow/4795301.cms

"...Ilayaraja was one of the few Tamil composers who had a dream run in Tollywood for two decades..."

"... Director Sridhar Reddy says, “Unlike other composers, Telugu-speaking composers will have an edge due to their command over the language,” and feels Ilayaraja and MSV survived because they could get the Telugu flavour in their compositions..."

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:7ff269bc61]

Plum
20th July 2009, 09:13 PM
'survived'-A? Boss, IR ruled Telugu FM for a decade at least. The telugu nativity in his music is astounding - as suresh65 and myself have discussed in these threads many times before. And we are not even discussing the distinct aspects differentiating the godavari twang and the telengana thunder. Nobody outside the respective native states got Karnataka and andhra pradesh better than IR.

Sureshs65
20th July 2009, 09:33 PM
Very true Plum. For the past week or so I have been listening to the FM in Bangalore hoping I would catch one of the songs of Prem Kahani. (They did broadcast one song). What I was surprised when I listened to the new Kannada songs is that how well Raja has understood the current trend and has tuned his songs keeping this trend in mind and also ensuring they have his stamp. 'Rangu Rangu' is a classic example. By the looks of it, it is bound to become a chart topper here.

raagas
21st July 2009, 08:48 AM
'survived'-A? Boss, IR ruled Telugu FM for a decade at least. The telugu nativity in his music is astounding - as suresh65 and myself have discussed in these threads many times before. And we are not even discussing the distinct aspects differentiating the godavari twang and the telengana thunder. Nobody outside the respective native states got Karnataka and andhra pradesh better than IR.

True. infact, his music is different for all the 4 southern states. Yes, commonalities are there, but still, i see those differences.. in reflecting the ethos of those regions. Only IR did it.

K
25th July 2009, 07:40 AM
http://cablesankar.blogspot.com/2009/07/aa-dinagalu-2007.html

aa dinagalu movie review, read the comments too

K
25th July 2009, 07:52 AM
[tscii:b9fa7009c5]good news at last nandhalala trailer in theaters

http://truetamilans.blogspot.com/2009/07/blog-post_8855.html

டிஸ்கி : இடைவேளைல போட்ட ‘நந்தலாலா' திரைப்படத்தின் டிரெய்லரை பார்த்தவுடன் ‘மிஸ் பண்ணவே கூடாத படம் அது' என்பது புரிந்தது.. காத்திருப்போம்..!

Read more: http://truetamilans.blogspot.com/2009/07/blog-post_8855.html#ixzz0MEZDYA0a
[/tscii:b9fa7009c5]

AravindMano
25th July 2009, 10:23 AM
[tscii:e6972283e6]Timothy Madhukar, who has been part of Chennai’s best-known rock bands, in his interview to Metro Plus, says, " I had grown up on music from here. Ilaiyaraja still continues to baffle me. How did he do one or two songs a day for 20 years". http://www.hindu.com/mp/2009/07/25/stories/2009072550561200.htm :)[/tscii:e6972283e6]

kameshratnam
25th July 2009, 07:00 PM
Kamal has met myskin and Ameer and wanted to do a film with both of them. Also, after yogi...ameer is starting kannabiran and the next would be with vikram. I dont know how many projects would involve IR in this. He has to break open and try to compose and an instrumental one

kameshratnam
26th July 2009, 09:18 AM
http://www.nakkheeran.in/users/frmArticles.aspx?A=2813
இளையராஜாவுடன் எப்படி நட்பு ஏற்பட்டது? "திருவாசக' சிம்பொனித் திட்டம் எப்படி உருவானது? அதில் ஒரு கோடி ரூபாய் இழப்பு ஏற்பட்டதாக வெளியான தகவல்கள் உண்மைதானா?

""ஒரு கோடி ரூபாய் என்பது தவறான தகவல். எழுபத்தியிரண்டு லட்ச ரூபாய் கடனாளி ஆக வேண்டிய சூழல் ஏற்பட்டது.

How many times have me and many others given suggestions to market the same and we did also give a rough price estimate...all those fell on deaf ears...just check the yahoo grps and i have suggested so many ideas to sell the same. The group had closed ideas and of course jalaras as usual...terribly sick of these things..

If they continue like this ...then i will be forced to believe that symphony was to be released twice once with pyramid and once with sony but both failed because of price reasons.....On April 14 a decade even the hall was booked and john scott also was invited...he too agreed

I dont know where to go and bang my head...once side i am seeing devotions towards great souls by him and the other side news like this......the final conclusion

HE IS A MUSICAL GENIUS........................................l will not cross boundaries ............

teja
27th July 2009, 08:41 AM
Maestro has signed yet another Telugu film:
http://www.telugucinema.com/c/publish/news/navadeep_july2409.php
Sounds better than the projects he's chosen in recent past in Telugu.

balaji
27th July 2009, 03:24 PM
Teja

Any news on the Singeetham's Tyagarajar movie?

Bala

kiru
28th July 2009, 10:34 PM
Kamesh,
I don't think it is right to blame others for TIS's commercial success/failure. I dont think Rahman attributes his winning the Oscars to anybody else. He had a game plan, a business plan and worked towards it. IR's business model did not scale beyond old/haphazard business environment of Kodambakkam. He is a musical geniues but his business savviness has not moved beyond the cine music industry.

irir123
28th July 2009, 10:57 PM
kiru - IR and business savvy ??? i doubt if he is even savvy within the cine industry - savvy professionals do not quarrel with people in the same field!

besides his musical talent, his PR etc etc are an absolute zero

app_engine
28th July 2009, 11:15 PM
i doubt if he is even savvy within the cine industry - savvy professionals do not quarrel with people in the same field!

At least till he established himself as the 'mudi soodA mannan', he should have been quite biz savvy as otherwise it would have been very difficult to move up, given his background.

Also he is still doing movies (if not in TN where he wants YSR / KR to come up and not compete with them) in MFM / Kannada etc. In addition, running a team for this many years calls for certain non-music skills that he definitely has.

As Kiru said, it's quite limited though (unlike his musical expertise which is much greater).

rprasad
29th July 2009, 02:34 AM
I think IR and ARR are so fundamentally different in many aspects that has played a major role in ARR going international(apart from arriving at the right time of economic liberalisation and boom of tv channels) and IR staying with South India. You can infer from the interviews of both. While ARR clearly says that a good director/producer team will inspire him to work harder to give better music and that he likes to choose his projects based on that. Now for IR have we heard him say anything remotely similar? he always says i just give music which comes to my mind during composing whether the dir is Maniratnam or P.Vasu. While ARR is always planning and anlayzing projects before accepting them. IR does what comes to his mind at that time does not seem to have any planning or strategizing mindset(maybe due to the generation and background in which he grew up?). I think that approach made him do so many movies during his peak that he never had time to think beyond film music except for the two non film albums he was able to churn out. The symphony would have changed all that , but due to his or others fault it got botched and thus ended his attempts to get global recognition. TIS is the same story. He just needs to get a good team and leave the PR and marketing to them and just compose music and hand it over to them. they say geniuses are all a little crazy and very instinctive. IR is certainly in that category.

app_engine
29th July 2009, 03:10 AM
[tscii:cd99ec3629]http://www.frontline.in/stories/20090814261609900.htm

Article on DKP

Even more remarkably, even at 80, DKP could deliver what the music director wanted. Vijay Siva tells an amusing story of how Ilayaraja and Kamalhaasan carted recording equipment to her home and had her sing Vaishnava Janato for the film Hey Ram (2000). Told that the song was to be played at Gandhi’s death in the film, the redoubtable lady resorted to emotional recall to add sigh and sob at appropriate intervals! When asked if she was happy with the result, she shot back: “No. Even if you record it five times I will still remain dissatisfied.” Finally, she beamed a smile at Kamalhaasan and remarked, “I know you. You did so well in that Kannamma film!” The actor stopped in his tracks to return to his 1960 debut as a child artiste in Kalathur Kannamma.

[/tscii:cd99ec3629]

Hulkster
29th July 2009, 07:21 AM
I think the problem of us fans is we want IR to get global recognition(incl me) and as a result makes us conclude that his TIS was a failure in such a sense. But i think IR's purpose was not to get a award for TIS but rather bring it to the public in a format where they will like and yet understand its full meaning(Thiruvasagam by itself is abit dull despite its literary strength). And he did achieve that quite well.

We have to stop putting IR as a failed businessman and stuff like that as in the first place he never liked such stuff. His life is about music and only revolves around it. That he only did the italy concert after the organiser said the proceeds will go to charity is a proof. And most collaborations happened if he felt there was a challenge and he wanted to bring it out or people came looking for him.

Just listen to the Vaalmiki audio release video again, you can see the way he sees such things.

crajkumar_be
29th July 2009, 11:31 AM
Hulk,
TIS - The people who put in money lost. It was supposed to be a cross-over album and hence the goal was to get recognition. It didn't get that sort of recognition that you,me,IR, producers would have hoped for. If that doesn't count as a failure, then somebody has changed the meaning of the word (i'm not talking about the quality here and how a monumental success it has been for us fans)

crajkumar_be
29th July 2009, 11:37 AM
This has again come to IRvsARR and as much as i wouldnt like to precipitate it further, i can't resist replying to this

I think IR and ARR are so fundamentally different in many aspects that has played a major role in ARR going international(apart from arriving at the right time of economic liberalisation and boom of tv channels) and IR staying with South India. You can infer from the interviews of both.
1. Its not all about PR, media, etc - Results also matter
2. It was not merely a matter of IR "staying with South". He did venture up north but didn't taste much success, irrespective of the music he gave

Hulkster
29th July 2009, 01:04 PM
Hulk,
TIS - The people who put in money lost. It was supposed to be a cross-over album and hence the goal was to get recognition. It didn't get that sort of recognition that you,me,IR, producers would have hoped for. If that doesn't count as a failure, then somebody has changed the meaning of the word (i'm not talking about the quality here and how a monumental success it has been for us fans)

I think his goal was to reach all tamil-speaking people mostly youths and get them to listen to it which worked. Commercially i am not aware of details but i feel that in terms of recognition in that manner it did manage to come off. There were also reports about temples playing TIS

Regarding commercial success. i am not sure which source to believe. The initial news reports were saying it managed to sell atleast 10 lakhs and also stating it was a grand success but after that things came out regarding the wellgate controversy and about the NRI matter. Dunno which to believe. :?

crajkumar_be
29th July 2009, 02:34 PM
I think his goal was to reach all tamil-speaking people mostly youths and get them to listen to it which worked.

Appadiye vechukkalaam (assuming for argument that reaching a cross-over audience was never an objective). How many Tamil speaking young non-IR-fan people that you know bought and liked TIS? Enakku therinja varaikkum (friends circle relatives etc) they didn't care much. I used to distribute CDs and urge them to listen. Nothing happened. Either musically that wasnt in their range or it was a religion/caste/tradition based wall of prejudice and that stopped them from liking the album

Commercially i am not aware of details but i feel that in terms of recognition in that manner it did manage to come off. There were also reports about temples playing TIS

Regarding commercial success. i am not sure which source to believe. The initial news reports were saying it managed to sell atleast 10 lakhs and also stating it was a grand success but after that things came out regarding the wellgate controversy and about the NRI matter. Dunno which to believe. :?
Hulk, the point is, you always take the line that "IR never cares about this, that" etc as though there were no objectives and the results have no bearing etc etc.. adha thaan address panren..

Hulkster
29th July 2009, 04:06 PM
I always have the feeling from the way he talks and behaves that he does not like business to interfere in the way of his music. When we take away the mandatory style for promoting albums whether filmi or non-filmi, thalaivar does not seem to bother about the rest. He is just like i do the music and you guys do the rest.

If he ever does a album again, he should be strongly focussed in the other parts but looking at his style i feel he will just do it and leave the rest to the producers. While i too would like something to happen, i feel that he is seemingly happy with what he is doing and wunt be coming out unless there is a challenge(Thiruvasagam happened when he gave a different structure to a existing composition lazlo kovacs was pondering on and he thought of trying it with Thiruvasagam)

Besides thalaivar does have global recognition although not that of obvious appeal but atleast amongst musicians. His collaboration with lazlo kovacs pays testimony to this. :D

irir123
29th July 2009, 06:46 PM
TiS is a done project - 4 years old - too long a time in this age to even talk about - its biggest limitation being the language barrier - besides the one 'Polla vinaiyen', the rest of the album though topnotch has no appeal for an international audience even amongst select classical music lovers, thanks to the language barrier - the lack of proper sleeve notes with English translation, lack of CD availability online etc made it worse.

in the overall context, IR himself is a problem for his music! look at the lyrics of 'ulagam ippo enge pogudhu' - full of sentimental as well as mystical rubbish - ex "pattiniyum, paamararum, Bharathathin selvamandro ?' - "hunger and poverty are India's wealth" - it is IR's gleeful endorsing of such lyrics makes me seriously rethink about his mind going kaput - with this kind of a mindset, i sincerely doubt if he himself would do anything to motivate himself for better projects - which will not happen if he sticks to his present circle of 'aamaam saami' jalras which is what he seems to like and be content with!

rajasaranam
29th July 2009, 07:06 PM
Hulk, the point is, you always take the line that "IR never cares about this, that" etc as though there were no objectives and the results have no bearing etc etc.. adha thaan address panren..

Unfortunately that is exactly the case with IR. do you remember the meeting we had during TIS where Fr.Jegath openly stated that 'its only the people around him, who are creating problems'. Do you want to say that IR doesn't know that had SONY been given the rights for TIS, it would've been a phenomenal success? The thing is IR doesn't care about all this. for him making music is more imp. and for some people around him who have control over the financial issues 'short term' money making goal are more imp.

...which will not happen if he sticks to his present circle of 'aamaam saami' jalras which is what he seems to like and be content with!

There are some things which are beyond his control in financial issues AFAIK. he talk and breathes only music and left out everything else regarding the promotion and finance to some of his close aides who doesn't have a proper vision.
I have only a wishful thinking for Yuvan to intervene and take up the PR position of his dad which can create wonders.

app_engine
29th July 2009, 07:45 PM
I have only a wishful thinking for Yuvan to intervene and take up the PR position of his dad which can create wonders.

I don't think so. Looks like YSR is struggling currently - after the marital break-up and slow-down of successes in TF. Moreover he lost one of his biggest partner directors as well.

In just a few years of career, YSR has got into so much of trouble - unlike his dad who was in top spot in south for almost 15 yrs before so many forces fought against him. Interestingly, he is still in the news.

Over 800 albums, lot of accolades for >3 decades, 65 plus, all children somewhat settled.

I think IR is doing what he enjoys at this point of time (and perhaps also interested in taking care of his long-time crew members financially).

I don't see him crying for recognition / being ambitious etc.

app_engine
29th July 2009, 07:48 PM
Also, often we hear this term "people around him" "jalras" etc.

Who exactly are these?

rajasaranam
29th July 2009, 07:56 PM

Who exactly are these?

athellaam Insider informations :P

app_engine
29th July 2009, 08:48 PM

Who exactly are these?

athellaam Insider informations :P

What I meant was the "role" of these people. Obviously nobody will tell / publish names here.

However, like in the case of ammA (or sometimes appA) of a heroine playing spoilsport, seriously, who from IR's side is creating troubles for him? That too at this stage?

From what I read so far about him, it may not be that difficult for any established director or production house to get an appointment from him. Even aspirants have always been able to get his time and take him on board with their assignments. (As recently as vAlmeeki). Then where's this question of another "agent / broker" coming in-between, creating trouble?

Is this related to "rate"? Again I've read many stories about how he did at very low cost, even free of cost etc to certain projects. In any case, this can at the max be an irritant (just like "rate" negotiations in every other case / place) but need not have a great impact on the end-product.

I'm definitely sure that BR / KB / MR didn't go away from him because there were some "jalras" who irritated them :wink:

venkkiram
29th July 2009, 11:41 PM
In the overall context, IR himself is a problem for his music! look at the lyrics of 'ulagam ippo enge pogudhu' - full of sentimental as well as mystical rubbish - ex "pattiniyum, paamararum, Bharathathin selvamandro ?' - "hunger and poverty are India's wealth" - it is IR's gleeful endorsing of such lyrics makes me seriously rethink about his mind going kaput - with this kind of a mindset, i sincerely doubt if he himself would do anything to motivate himself for better projects - which will not happen if he sticks to his present circle of 'aamaam saami' jalras which is what he seems to like and be content with!

சரியா சொன்னிங்க irir123. இதே கருத்தைத்தான் நான் நேற்று இங்கு எழுதலாம்னு நினைத்து, பதிவேற்றம் செய்யும் நேரத்தில் வேண்டாமென்று அழித்து விட்டேன். ராஜாவின் எண்ணங்களைச் சொல்லும் பாடலாகவே "உலகம் இப்போ எங்கே போகுது" என்ற பாடலை மக்கள் அனைவரும் நினைக்கும்போது, முரண்பாடுகள்தான் மிச்சமாகிறது.

"பட்டினியும், பாரமரரும் பாரதத்தின் செல்வமன்றோ" என்ற வரிகளை கடக்கும் போது, ராஜா கோடிக்கணக்கில் பணத்தை மூகாம்பிகை கோயிலில் தானமாக கொட்டியதை என்னையும் அறியாமல் நினைத்துப் பார்க்கத் தூண்டுகிறது.

உலகமே கிராமமாக மாறிவருகிற சூழ்நிலையில் இன்னமும் மாறி வரும் மாற்றத்தை பற்றி விமர்சிப்பது சரியான பார்வையே அல்ல. இளைஞர்கள் ஏன் வெளிநாட்டிற்கு செல்ல ஆசைப்படுகிறார்கள்? ராஜாவைப் போல தானும் ஒரு மாளிகை கட்டணும், வசதிகளையும் பெருக்கணும் என்பதற்குத்தானே. அவருக்கு அந்த காலத்தில் பண்ணைபுரத்திலிருந்து சென்னை. இளைஞர்களுக்கு இப்போது தமிழ் நாட்டிலிருந்து மற்ற நாடுகள். மதுரையைத் தாண்டி சென்னைக்கு வரும்போது, நாம் சென்னையைத் தாண்டி விமானம், கப்பல் ஏறுவதில் என்னத் தவறு?

ஒருவேளை எனது பார்வை தவறா? இல்லை ராஜாவின் பார்வை தவறா?

app_engine
30th July 2009, 12:00 AM
Can someone post the complete lyric of that 'ulagam engE pOguthu' song?

Just to make sure one can understand the context of the line being talked about, before commenting on it...

irir123
30th July 2009, 01:55 AM
In the overall context, IR himself is a problem for his music! look at the lyrics of 'ulagam ippo enge pogudhu' - full of sentimental as well as mystical rubbish - ex "pattiniyum, paamararum, Bharathathin selvamandro ?' - "hunger and poverty are India's wealth" - it is IR's gleeful endorsing of such lyrics makes me seriously rethink about his mind going kaput - with this kind of a mindset, i sincerely doubt if he himself would do anything to motivate himself for better projects - which will not happen if he sticks to his present circle of 'aamaam saami' jalras which is what he seems to like and be content with!

சரியா சொன்னிங்க irir123. இதே கருத்தைத்தான் நான் நேற்று இங்கு எழுதலாம்னு நினைத்து, பதிவேற்றம் செய்யும் நேரத்தில் வேண்டாமென்று அழித்து விட்டேன். ராஜாவின் எண்ணங்களைச் சொல்லும் பாடலாகவே "உலகம் இப்போ எங்கே போகுது" என்ற பாடலை மக்கள் அனைவரும் நினைக்கும்போது, முரண்பாடுகள்தான் மிச்சமாகிறது.

"பட்டினியும், பாரமரரும் பாரதத்தின் செல்வமன்றோ" என்ற வரிகளை கடக்கும் போது, ராஜா கோடிக்கணக்கில் பணத்தை மூகாம்பிகை கோயிலில் தானமாக கொட்டியதை என்னையும் அறியாமல் நினைத்துப் பார்க்கத் தூண்டுகிறது.

உலகமே கிராமமாக மாறிவருகிற சூழ்நிலையில் இன்னமும் மாறி வரும் மாற்றத்தை பற்றி விமர்சிப்பது சரியான பார்வையே அல்ல. இளைஞர்கள் ஏன் வெளிநாட்டிற்கு செல்ல ஆசைப்படுகிறார்கள்? ராஜாவைப் போல தானும் ஒரு மாளிகை கட்டணும், வசதிகளையும் பெருக்கணும் என்பதற்குத்தானே. அவருக்கு அந்த காலத்தில் பண்ணைபுரத்திலிருந்து சென்னை. இளைஞர்களுக்கு இப்போது தமிழ் நாட்டிலிருந்து மற்ற நாடுகள். மதுரையைத் தாண்டி சென்னைக்கு வரும்போது, நாம் சென்னையைத் தாண்டி விமானம், கப்பல் ஏறுவதில் என்னத் தவறு?

ஒருவேளை எனது பார்வை தவறா? இல்லை ராஜாவின் பார்வை தவறா?

whatever be the context in which IR must have endorsed such crazy lyrics, IMHO, for sometime, IR seems to be trapped in a time-cum-spiritual warp, often confusing himself with what he perceives as the 'ideal' spiritual life and getting it mixed up with his projects etc - every now and then when he gets to work with someone like Kamal, for instance, he is brought back to 'mortal' earth and Kamal manages to get stunners out of him - 'Mumbai Xpress' is one fine example - the blabbering about 'cinema saththiyama, vaazhkai nijama, sathhiyama' etc at the Valmiki audio release function only adds credence to my observation

kiru
30th July 2009, 08:23 AM
* IR is/was had enough business savviness to get chances and stay in the business for long without people cheating him out of money or leverage. Suffice it to say, that IR gave many incentives/disincentives for directors to stay with him.

* TIS is a failure in my books. Commercially and Technically. Following are my opinions and I could be wrong. Music wise - the indian audience does not seem to care for the WCM format that much or the western audience does not care for the lyrics or indian music. Technically, I thought it would be a "pure" WCM format where there is no volume "level" adjustment between instruments and voices (for eg, symphonies are unamplified by electrical instruments in an opera house). But the "mixing" of tracks made it like film music and so I am not sure the WCM purists will take it seriously in the west. Apparently, IR heard an oratario first time or noticed its significance and decided "I could do something like this, because I have been doing this anyways" and no wonder I get the filmy feel.

* Re: lyrics and philosophy - cannot agree more. There was a poster here by name Udhaya long time ago (who was an amateur lyricist as well). He opined that IR's music lost popular appeal, as soon as became spiritual. He probably is right, maybe, the fun aspect was gone and everything became too serious. Rahman probably put the fun back in the music.

* Re: Rahman vs IR on producers/directors - IR insists it is the plot that inspires. I think he is honest and his songs reflect the character/storyline much more than any other MD. But he probably does not care for "I am going to shoot this in a cool way in a transparent bus etc".

* Motivated purely by music - I do believe IR is devoted to music and when he sings for example you know he surrenders himself completely to the tune/situation (no wonder he signs off as isaiadimai). There will be no tinge of individual ego etc in the voice (for eg. with Hariharan I feel some self-involvement/ego). His approach to music is "I surrender before thee" whereas others might be "I will conquer you" . But ..BUT..fame and popularity does have an impact on him..even money ..maybe not for money sake but the sense of importance/recognition it gives to him. When he was paid a high salary for thalapathy (apparently 60 lakhs) he went bonkers with the orchestra. Even today, if you approach him for a movie with reasonable good story line and say you can do whatever you want and pay the same amount as Rahman gets, personally, I trust you all of us here will like the music (not sure about the general audience today :-) )[/list]

Hulkster
30th July 2009, 09:59 AM
Now the thing is none of us know what it is like in tamil cinema. Papers may say alot of things and there are sources but not good enough to decide what exactly happens with thalaivar in the business aspect. But the clearest indication is like what you said he is only bound to music and nothing else.

Like i said before it is us fans who are complicating things cause we want it to happen and we want him to be recognised and that puts us on a spot of bother when we cross ourselves with the character of thalaivar. I think its best to leave him like that and enjoy whatever music is coming. Moreover i feel he has achieved beyond the time sphere he was in and perhaps is the only true blue composer who can say that his output is a genre by himself.

Plum
30th July 2009, 11:32 AM
Kiru, that Udhaya bit is too much of an exaggeration. I remember he used to divide pre-1981 and post-1981, and say thats the time frame he got spiritual, and the music went downhill from there. However, the reason for that is Udhaya doesnt consider Nayagan, Mounaragam, Geethanjali, Agni N etc. as good enough as 70's stuff. I dont agree that the fun content went down after 1981 - which is what was Udhaya's point.

Secondly, IR's kollur experience happened before annakiLi - it was when Karthik Raja was born. So, he was already spiritual when he entered the field. Only thing is around the time of Thai Moogambikai, he started to be more explicit about it. Udhays's was an amateur theory. I dont give a whit of credence to it. A song like thaamarakiLi paadunnu dripping with joy came after 1981 *only*(with due apologies to CR).
I wouldnt relate his spirituality and the perceived downgrade in musical quality

thumburu
30th July 2009, 02:45 PM
//Dig : aiyyo idhenna ellarum Udhaya pera izhukkarom? Naan ippo dhaan avara quote pannittu inga vandha.. :)) paavam , avarukku innikki porai yerikka poradhu
Udhaya, OISG, vengayam , sriramLakshman indha maadhiri pazhaiya jambavangaL, confirmed IR bashers , had fixed "date" for IR music like pre 82 post 82 etc. Idha "date" matter ellam MSV kku Kedaiyaadhaakkum !!!

Sureshs65
30th July 2009, 04:14 PM
kiru,

I have no idea of what goes on in Raja's mind or what goes on in the Tamil industry but one thing I would definitely not agree is about fun vanishing from his music. If "Sringara Bangara' doesn't convey joy, the problem probably lies with the listener. What about "Acchadicha Kasa' or 'Odadavane' or 'Enna Senjalum'? When he is in a fun mood, we say he is not like 1978 and when he composes like 1978, "Swapnangal Kannezhudiya" we say the fun is gone!! I do not know what was posted earlier but agree with Plum that most of that sort of theory is amateurish at best. 'Kala Pani' and 'Guru' happen in 90s and they can stand up to whatever anyone can throw from the 70s or 80s. 'Aatirambile' with its myriads twists and turns is like the knockout punches that Plum once described about 'Sumam Prati Sumam'. M G Sreekumar sings 'maane poonthene' and wonder how someone can conjure up such a descent. Sheer magic.

jaiganes
30th July 2009, 05:27 PM
i dont think any other fun loving MD has given Yesappu songs like 'Maane madhura kozhambe' and 'Kaana karunguyile' absofreakingly fun songs to sing. and this is yesappu whom we associate only with 'bhakthi' or sad songs.

krish244
30th July 2009, 07:03 PM
[tscii:bbfc535d7b]Article about different people composing songs and BGM:

http://www.screenindia.com/news/background-blues-for-salimsulaiman/496037/

"...Govinda’s brother Kirti Kumar insisted on Ilayaraja for the background music of his thriller Hatya when the songs were being done by Bappi Lahiri, ..."

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:bbfc535d7b]

raja_fan
30th July 2009, 09:30 PM
Read a news tidbit about Paa in Bangalore Mirror.

Amitabh plays the son.
Abhishek plays the Dad.

Amitabh suffers from a rare disease which makes him age fast , so that he appears older than his son Abhishek. The emotional story between Abhishek and his son Amitabh forms the film.

Not sure who enjoys with Vidya Balan :)

krish244
30th July 2009, 10:02 PM
Raja_fan, I thought you have an update about the music of the movie. This is known news (the story part). Ippadi yemathitteengale :-(

I think vidya is abishek pair.

Krishnan

irir123
30th July 2009, 10:26 PM
..even money ..maybe not for money sake but the sense of importance/recognition it gives to him. When he was paid a high salary for thalapathy (apparently 60 lakhs) he went bonkers with the orchestra. Even today, if you approach him for a movie with reasonable good story line and say you can do whatever you want and pay the same amount as Rahman gets, personally, I trust you all of us here will like the music (not sure about the general audience today :-) )[/list]

I sincerely doubt if anyone would invest crores into IR now, as they do with ARR!

irir123
30th July 2009, 10:32 PM
Whether IRs spiritual side affects his musical output or not is a different issue - what it appears to have done is def affect his PR skills!

kameshratnam
2nd August 2009, 09:21 AM
[tscii:39c519b183]26 June 2009 - Ilaiyaraaja’s new album on Ramana Maharishi in production. It will be available in itunes soon. The Physical CD will be available only in Ramana Ashram, Thiruvannamalai. Raaja donating the album for the Ashram.[/tscii:39c519b183]

kiru
3rd August 2009, 12:07 PM
Plum..i am sure your memory is more accurate than mine. I also dont fully agree with Udhaya, but mentioned that as an extreme view of spirituality/philosophy affecting his work.I am aware of the joyous songs of IR, but by fun I am referring to popular hits like "Oram pO", "ilamai idho" etc. These sort of songs and those that are in style have slowly dried up in IR's repertoire. Recent 'chal chalein' is a valiant attempt in this front.

Sureshs65
3rd August 2009, 03:08 PM
[kiru said] Plum..i am sure your memory is more accurate than yours. [/kiru said]

Well kiru, I think the fun element was always intact but what is considered fun had changed !! Just listen to all the techno beats nowadays and everyone praises it sky high. BTW, have you heard 'Hodadavane' of Prem Kahani. It definitely has all the fun factor you mentioned.

app_engine
3rd August 2009, 09:23 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/heroes/2009/08/03-vijay-finalises-sp-rajkumar-as-director.html

'சீச்சீ, இந்தப்பழம் புளிக்கும்' ஸ்டைல் நியூஸோன்னு சந்தேகமா இருக்கு...

kiru
4th August 2009, 12:10 AM
[kiru said] Plum..i am sure your memory is more accurate than yours. [/kiru said]

Well kiru, I think the fun element was always intact but what is considered fun had changed !! Just listen to all the techno beats nowadays and everyone praises it sky high. BTW, have you heard 'Hodadavane' of Prem Kahani. It definitely has all the fun factor you mentioned.
Thanks for catching the bug .. probably was too sleepy while posting :-)
Yes, hodadavane is good..but now fun songs mean Rahman ..starting with muqabala.

Sureshs65
4th August 2009, 11:08 AM
kiru,

You are in a time wrap. The days of Rahman are gone, atleast in Tamil movies. 'Muqabula' gave way to 'Manmada Raasa'. Now it is all 'kuthu' songs and the MD is no longer important. 'Nakka Mukka' and its clones dominate.

raajarasigan
4th August 2009, 12:46 PM
Starting from Yesterday, there is a new program being telecasted in Sun Music --- "Ninaithale Inikkum".. between 11 PM to 12 AM..

as the name suggests, this program is mainly for playing old songs.. especially from early 80's... following songs were there in yes.. progr..

Of course, if it is 80's in TFM, then it should be IR....

En Vaanile (Johny)
Kanne Kalaimaane (Moondram Pirai)
Kadhal Oviyum (AO)
Kanmaniye (AA)
Thaalattuthe (KM)
Pattu vanna (EKK)
Vellai Pura (PK)

it is a daily live program.. so we can call them and ask for our favouite songs..

progrm nalla than irukku.. enna andha VJ kavidhaingra perla solra mokkai than thaanga mudiyala..
:evil:

MumbaiRamki
5th August 2009, 01:50 AM
Paa's premise looks interesting with this pic ..
http://movies.rediff.com/slide-show/2009/aug/03/slide-show-1-vote-for-abitabh-bachchans-10-cool-looks.htm

crvenky
6th August 2009, 11:00 AM
News Courtesy: IR Yahoo Groups:
---------------------------------------------

http://thatskannada.oneindia.in/movies/music/2008/10/21-musician-ilayaraja-taj-mahal-movie-director-chandru.html

The Director Chandru who's beaming with success after the hit of "Taj Mahal" is once again trying to put his hands to a big budget movie. A budge of approx. Rs. 4 crores is anticipated for the next movie "Prem Kahani". The hero of the movie is Ajay who happens to be the hero in "Taj Mahal" as well. Whereas the heroine is Sheeba who has acted in Telugu, Tamil & Malayalam movies. Discussions are ongoing with Prakash Raj (his original name is Prakash Rai) for a very prominent role. The Muhurtam is scheduled for Nov. 10th

The news here is that for the the first time in history of Kannada movies "all time record" of Rs. 70 Lakhs has been paid for music direction to the south india's most famours Music director "Ilaiyaraja" for this movie is the rumor that's floating around in Gandhinagar (a.k.a Koadambakkam of Tamil Cinema) circles. Even the background score is entrusted to him. "Ilaiayraja" who composes his tunes normally in Chennai as come to Bangalore and stayed in "Leela Palace" to tune the 8 songs in the movie

Director chandru quotes "Earlier he had give fabulous music to movies such as "Geetha", "Janma Janmada Anubandha", "Nee Nanna Gellalaare" and more recently to "Aa Dinagalu". All the 8 songs in the movie "Prem Kahani" are haunting and that's Ilaiyaraja's strength." Would "Prem Kahani" be Kannada movie world's another "Prema Lokam" is the question for now?