PDA

View Full Version : ARTHRITIS

ammu
11th January 2005, 09:11 PM
Many people suffer with Arthritis after 30's like backache ,stiffness of neck ,joint pain etc but they think that is only a normal pain and take pain killers for this.Please give your opinion and discuss this topic.This topic may bring awareness in their health,and also what type of food is good for them.
thank you
ammu.

dev
12th January 2005, 11:11 AM
Anything concerned with bones,calcium should be helpful... But this consumption of calcium should be right from ur childhood...only the it'll be very effective in developing stronger bones... But it's always better late than never...so let's start consuming the right amt of calcium & help maintain our bones... A balanced diet + an active lifestyle should also be helpful...I accept that it'll be painful to exercise after U get arthritis... better start it in the early stage of ur life so that u can prevent all such diseases...

Most of us spend 35-40 yrs of our life in earning money... & after retirement we spend all the money saved on medicines coz we didn't lead a healthy lifestyle in the early stages... So,what's the point in working hard to earn money???...When young,ppl think that it's the time to enjoy life & they feel enjoying life is eating all junk foods they get, like KFC chicken,Mc Donalds burger, coke etc etc... They don't really seem to understand the complications it can lead to later in life... I strongly feel that life should be enjoyable until the end...that will be possible only when we r healthy...Prevention is better than cure... not all diseases r preventable but we can try to prevent diseases that r under our control... & kids should be taught to enjoy natural,healthy food right from the beginning...Many feel that childhood is the time to freak out on all kinds of food...but if they learn to love junk food ,it then becomes an addiction...We talk a lot abt the hazards of smoking but we still don't really understand that we consume things that can be even worse than smoking,like fat(oil),presrvatives,food colours,animal fat,coconut etc etc... these too can kill a person...for ex, consumption of food clours can cause cancer...too much oil can cause obesity which is the worst killer...How many of us know that a normal person can consume a maximum of only 3 teaspoons(ie 1 table spoon) of oil per day?1?1?!?...
When compared to all these junks,smoking is just nothing...It would be interesting to learn that Japanese r the heaviest smokeres in the world & they also live longer than most others!!!!.... why doesn't smoking kill Japanese???!!!... It's mainly coz of their lifestyle... Healthy eating & active lifestyle is what is saving them... If we can make time to have 3 meals a day,we should also be able to exercise atleast 1/2 hr per day... By exercise I don't mean anything hard...just a brisk walk will do...

R
12th January 2005, 04:26 PM
My father had arithritis when I was studying in the school. So, dont remember what was his diet. But, read that for osteoarithiritis, vitamin B is very essential.

Also, my father took siddha treatment and he use to do brisk walk a lot even in his older age. They gave some thailam which one has to put in the affected area and take a bath in hot water. They would also suggest some minor exercises. Though his main food is rice, he use to get digested by walking a lot and drinking plenty of water. After a few years, he also found a good result.

At the same time, heard that some people are not happy with the siddha medicine. It depends on individuality.

dev
13th January 2005, 07:57 AM
Hello R,

As U said, use of traditional medicines depends on the individual's tolerence power to a large extent... U cannot expect immediate relief from any traditional medicines like homoeopathy,siddha,ayurveda etc...also U need to do some sacrifices like diet etc...:) But once u start taking traditional medicines U can find ur tolerence to pain increases... My family doctor is a homoeopathy practicioner & he used to say that we should learn to enjoy the pain coz we should understand that diseases r ,to a certain extent,a form of removal of toxins from our body... These days i'm learing to enjoy pain & it's helping me a lot... It even helps improve ur mental strength...:)

ammu
27th January 2005, 08:20 PM
hi ,
Is this a correct statement...
[b]{"My family doctor is a homoeopathy practicioner & he used to say that we should learn to enjoy the pain coz we should understand that diseases r ,to a certain extent,a form of removal of toxins from our body... These days i'm learing to enjoy pain & it's helping me a lot... It even helps improve ur mental strength"}
THere is no cure for arthritis in young and middle aged person also...?

Hemant Trived1
27th January 2005, 08:57 PM
Friends,
If you have anyone with arthrities in the family , please stop giving them TUVAR DHAL (Thoram Parappu).
This dhall has a chemical that inhibits calcium assimilation in the body.
Taking KEFIR regularly enhances calcium intake better than milk or curds.
In addition, kefir destroys a lot of gram- and Gram+ Bacteria and may be viruses also.
Try and tell me.

R
27th January 2005, 09:18 PM
Even the orange color mysore or masoor dal is also not good for arithritis patient.

And ammu, that is not the truth becoz it depends on each and everyone's arithritis stage. In my father's case, as mentioned earlier, he was under siddha for more than 4 yrs and found a good result.

Recently, for my MIL, the dr. diagnosed that she has osteo arithritis and she said that she is getting better. She prefers to go with allopathy than the other treatment.

So, better consult with a good doc. Meanwhile, will talk to my father and try to find more answers for you.

Bye.

dev
28th January 2005, 08:35 AM
Hello Ammu,

That was a generic statement...nothing specifiaclly concerned with arthiritis...U learn to enjoy pain & ur tolorence to pain increases... Atleast,this is true in my case...:)

As R said,arthirits can be cured by proper medication & diet...

dev
28th January 2005, 01:26 PM
Hi Mr.Hemanth,

I knew tht mysore dhal is not very healthy but never knew tht thuvar dhal too is not suitable for arthiritis patients... Thanks for the info...

& can u pls let me know where I can get KEFIR in bangalore or in coimbatore...

dev
28th January 2005, 01:28 PM
As R said,arthirits can be cured by proper medication & diet...

I acutally meant to say tht one can get relief from arthiritis by proper medication & diet... I don't know if it can be cured completely...

dev
28th January 2005, 01:29 PM
"As R said,arthirits can be cured by proper medication & diet... "

I acutally meant to say tht one can get relief from arthiritis by proper medication & diet... I don't know if it can be cured completely...

Hemant Trived1
28th January 2005, 07:14 PM
Hello Dev,

If you are in Bangalorer thanks to Ms. IVETE of Portugal
In Bangalore, u can mail me for my phone number .
hkrtrivedi@yahoo.com

ammu
28th January 2005, 08:25 PM
Dear friends ,
Thank you so much for your response. My friend she is here in USA,during winter she has this problem as the season changes it goes off.When I happen to hear that in early 30's she is suffering from Arthritis I was shocked.Normally we think its only a pain but it could be a treatable problem.Many people should know about this topic .I thank R,dev and Hemantji..about dhal i had no idea that this many problems are there..so Hemantji ,she is a Vegetarian ,so what type of protien she can consume?
Please help...
Ammu

Hemant Trived1
28th January 2005, 08:56 PM
Ammu,
Your friend can take Tofu which is soy protein.

dev
28th January 2005, 10:22 PM
Hello Mr.Hemant,

Many thanks for a very quick reply...I'm in Singapore presently...Will be back to Bangalore soon...My mom suffers from severe pain ...So thought I'll ask my friends in Bangalore to get it for her...& I'll let her know abt the dhal too coz we used to have thuvar dhal sambar almost everyday... So that too might help... I've been asking her to reduce her weight...but she doesn't seem to bother abt it...:(

& can U please send me the address of MS.Ivete to my mail at dev_t2001@yahoo.co.in

It would me my pleasure to talk to U & meet u if possible... You seem to be a knowledge treasury & I am sure can learn a lot from you...Will inform u when I'm back in Bangalore...:)

dev
30th January 2005, 07:54 PM
Here a few info abt arthiritis...

http://www.boloji.com/ayurveda/av036.htm

Hemant Trived1
30th January 2005, 08:24 PM
Dear Mr.Dev,
You can get the starter for Kefir from me.
No need to trouble Ms. Ivete for that.
You may mail me privately when you are coming.

R
30th January 2005, 09:54 PM
Hello Dev,

That was a very helpful site.

And, Mr.Hemant, you had mentioned that taking thoor dal is not good for arithritis patient. Is there any limitation for taking the same becoz, in all south indian families, thoor dal is one of the important ingredient. Particularly, for elders, they make sambar or some kuzhambu everyday; so, I am confused what is the alternative!?

Pls clarify me..thanks and regards.

Hemant Trived1
31st January 2005, 05:57 AM
Alternative is make sambar with oduchhukdalai/channa dhall

dev
31st January 2005, 07:56 AM
Yellow Moong Dhal sambar will also be equally good...

dev
31st January 2005, 07:57 AM
Many thanks Mr.Hemant Trivedi...:)

dev
31st January 2005, 07:58 AM
& I'm Mrs.Dev...Not Mr.Dev... :lol:

ammu
31st January 2005, 07:34 PM
Hi dev,
thanks for the link which you have sent..It is very helpful in understanding the problem and taking care from it. Thanks once again..!
Ammu

ammu
31st January 2005, 07:38 PM
Hi Hemantji,
I think chana dhal forms more gas than tuar dhal.Pls clarify it. If you can please send some recipes according to that..
Thank you
Ammu

dev
1st February 2005, 08:14 AM
Hello Ammu,

The main reason why ppl get gastric problem when they take dhal is that dhal contains more protein & fibre...So these are difficult to digest...In order to get it digested properly ,U'll have to do a bit more of physical work or exercise...Once U do that U'll see that U get no more gastric problems ... This is true with most people...Some people may have problems with their digestive system which causes gastric problems...They'll need proper medical care...

This is my personal xperience & now i make it a point to take just the right amount of dhal & exercise 1/2 hr a day...I suffered very badly coz of gastric problem last year (for around 6 months)...It was due to over consumption of dhal & bad lifestyle...Now that I've found the trick,I've no problems...:)

gaya3usa
10th February 2005, 12:18 AM
Here are the tips that might help --
1. Do regular Excersice and YOGO - A must to improve blood circulation and joint movement.
2. Use only Canola oil or olive oil
3. Take omega-3 fish oil capsules
4. Take a multi vitamin
5. Consider taking ' Boswellia ' a herbal medication ( RA )
Or Take Glucosamine tablets if you have OA
6. Take Flax seeds 2~4 spoon , every day
7. Turmeric, ginger, green peppers/ chillies helps
8. Eat health food ( green vegis ) to boost your immune system
9. Massage help improve blood flow, and makes you to relax.
10. Other recommendations - stay with your doctor 's plan and medicatiion. Also read 'Alternative therapies ' by Judith Horstman to learn more choice and treatments that will help you to personalize the alternative therapies to ones personal condition.

Take care ...

Gayathri

R
10th February 2005, 12:42 AM
Can anyone suggest whether it is ok to use olive oil in our Indian cooking, i.e. seasoning or deep frying?

Thanks in advance.

dev
10th February 2005, 01:55 AM
Hi R,

It's ok to use olive oil for seasoning provided u use just 1-2 tsp of it... But deep frying in olive oil will definitely change the taste & flavour... & I read tht canola oil is not as good...Am not sure...Here r a few links tht talks abt the dangers of canola oil...

http://www.mercola.com/2002/aug/14/con_ola1.htm
www.besthealth.com.au/canoladangers.htm

I actually bought a can of canola oil & after reading abt the health hazards it can cause,I just threw away the whole bottle... I'm not very sure if it's all true...But didn't want to take a chance... It would be good if anyone can tell us more abt it...

R
10th February 2005, 03:12 AM
Hi Dev,

This oil is always a problem, no. When I came to US, someone suggested that canola(corn) oil is better than vegetable oil or peanut oil. So, have started using; after seeing the links, I am having my second thought.

My cousin who recently came to US bought a can of canola oil. Because of the smell while frying, she could not stand and switched to olive oil. She does all seasoning and deep frying!! But, I have a strong feeling that it is for dressing and of course, seasoning is ok.

I just want to know whether it will cause any effect if we use for deep frying.

I always use idhayam nallenai for seasoning and only for deep frying, use canola oil. I am really wondering what is the other option for deep frying!! Anyone..any answer for me?????

dev
10th February 2005, 11:57 AM
Hi R,

I don't know much abt deep frying... I've fried for jamuns a couple of times so far...that's it in the past 2 1/2 yrs of cooking... Both the times I used veg oil... & for seasoning I use veg oil, gingelly oil,ghee,coconut oil depending on the dish... I use a max of 2 tbsp of oil a day...& olive oil,I too feel tht it'll not suit Indian cooking...Am not sure...But I've seen some of my friends using it for seasoning... I'll try to get info from my friends on the oil tht best suits deep frying & let you know... Anyways,I feel veg oil is best...& maybe u can try corn oil... :roll:

R
10th February 2005, 07:11 PM
Thanks dev. I am waiting for yr reply.

Meanwhile, can u suggest me the brand name of olive oil for cooking purpose?

Bye.

dev
11th February 2005, 10:16 AM
Am not sure R...I'm not very brand conscious & so I don't bother to remember the brand names unless they prove to be something unique... & tht too in the case of oil,if I just buy a litre of oil it'll last for more than 3 months... If you can give me abt a weeks time,I'll try to gather info abt the brand of olive oil from my friends & let u know... For deep frying, most of my friends use veg oil only...Some use palm oil but i don't really like it...

& I would always advocate using different types of oil for cooking... Read somewhere tht it's always good to do so coz it can help balance the saturated fat & unsaturated fat etc...diff oils have diff combinations of sat & unsat fat...& for ur info,the recommended intake of oil for an healthy adult is just 1 tbsp(ie 15 ml or 3 tsp) of oil a day... My husband has done a research(not a Ph.D though :wink: ) in healthy eating & we've a huge amt of data which we r trying to put in a website so that more & more ppl will be benefited... But he hardly finds time to work on it & we r not getting the right kind of ppl to help us in the process... Anyways,we now have a handful of our friends following our diet & they 've seen good results... Am happy abt it & hopefully will get the website done soon so tht we can help atleast a few lead a healthy life... I strongly feel tht it's time ppl understand what is on their plate,not just in terms of the name of the dish but in terms of nutrients too,atleast to some extent...

ammu
11th February 2005, 09:40 PM
Hi Gayathri ,
Thank you so much for your tips.
Hi dev and R, when I came to USA I was under the confusion to use which oil?When I met an Indian Dietition ,their saying is according to this weather , three oils are good for heart and health.
C O P means C- Canola oil,O-Olive oiland P-Peanut oil,which contains poly and mono saturated fat.BERTOLLI EXTRA LIGHT OLIVE oil is good for seasoning and Canola oil is good for regular cooking and frying Indian food.Of course gingelly oil( nallennai) is very good for cooking if it is available,for frying it will not be good because of its smoking point.
Thanks
Ammu

R
12th February 2005, 12:35 AM
Thanks dev for yr explanation.

And ammu, that helps me a lot. Now I know clearly what to choose, thank you so much.

Bye.