PDA

View Full Version : Buddhism and discussions on buddhism

Shakthiprabha.
29th January 2009, 11:13 AM
I briefly browsed the first page of history section to find talks on "buddhism" completely absent.

I find buddhism talking sense on many level, I did find buddhism very convincing during my brief readings.

Let us discuss finer points or quotes or teachings or preachings of buddhism, without resorting to brickbat, without comparing buddhism with another religion or a different point of view AND WITHOUT claiming each one's supriority on another.

________

Disclaimer: Friends, I do not know anything about buddhism, though buddhism has fascinated me (for that matter, though I am a hindu, and cliam I am a devotee of krishna, how much do I know of my own religion?!?! Very meagre! )

This is just a very minute attempt to refresh BASIC THOUGHGS and understanding about another religion apart from my own. My intention is just to analyse with my lil capacity, try and understand, and take only the postive things which I have understood and try to follow in my life. The intention definitely is NOT TO COMPARE any 2 religion or to argue one's supremacy over another.

Thankyou once again.

Shakthiprabha.
1st February 2009, 04:04 PM
[html:c29fe944eb]
http://www.sulekha.com/mstore/aumsri/albums/Sri%20Ramachandra/L-11.jpg
[/html:c29fe944eb]

Vivasaayi
1st February 2009, 04:04 PM
:)

Shakthiprabha.
1st February 2009, 04:36 PM
Gautama buddha (Siddhartha)

Siddhartha Gautama was born about 583 BCE, in or near what is now Nepal.
His father, King Suddhodana, was leader of a large clan called the Shakya. His mother,
Queen Maya, died shortly after his birth.

The Prince reached the age of 29 with little experience of the world outside.

One day, overcome with curiosity, Prince Siddhartha asked a charioteer to take him on a
series of rides through the countryside. On these journeys he was shocked by the sight of
an aged man, then a sick man, and then a corpse. The stark realities of old age, disease,
and death seized and sickened the Prince.

The Renunciation

For a time the Prince returned to palace life, but he took no pleasure in it. Even the news that his
wife Yasodhara had given birth to a son did not please him. The luxuries that had once pleased
him now seemed grotesque.

That very night he left the palace, shaved his head, and changed his prince's clothes for a beggar's
robe. Then he began his quest for enlightenment.

The Search

Siddhartha began by seeking out renowned teachers, who taught him about the many religious
philosophies of his day as well as how to meditate. But after he had learned all they had to teach,
his doubts and questions remained. so he and five disciples left to find enlightenment by themselves.

The six companions attempted to find release from suffering through physical discipline--enduring pain,
holding their breath, fasting nearly to starvation. Yet Siddhartha was still unsatisfied. It occurred to him
that in renouncing pleasure he had grasped pleasure's opposite--pain and self-mortification. Now Siddhartha
considered a Middle Way between those two extremes.

He remembered an experience from his childhood, when his mind had settled into a state of deep peace. The path of liberation was through discipline of mind. He realized that instead of starvation, he needed nourishment to build up his strength for the effort. But when he accepted a bowl of rice milk from a young girl, his companions assumed he had given up the quest and abandoned him.

The Enlightenment of the Buddha

Siddhartha sat beneath a sacred fig (Ficus religiosa), known ever after as the Bodhi Tree, and settled into meditation.

The work of Siddhartha's mind came to be mythologized as a great battle with Mara, a demon whose
name means "destruction' and who represents the passions that snare and delude us. Mara brought vast armies of monsters to attack Siddhartha, who sat still and untouched. Mara's most beautiful daughter tried to seduce Siddhartha, but this effort also failed.

Finally, Mara claimed the seat of enlightenment rightfully belonged to him. Mara's spiritual accomplishments were greater than Siddhartha's, the demon said. Mara's monstrous soldiers cried out together, "I am his witness!" Mara challenged Siddhartha--who will speak for you?

Then Siddhartha reached out his right hand to touch the earth, and the earth itself roared, "I bear you witness!"
Mara disappeared. And as the morning star rose in the sky, Siddhartha Gautama realized enlightenment
and became a Buddha.

The Teacher

At first, the Buddha was reluctant to teach, because what he had realized could not be communicated in words. Only through discipline and clarity of mind would delusions fall away and the Great Reality could be directly experienced. Listeners without that direct experience would be stuck in conceptualizations and would surely misunderstand everything he said. But compassion persuaded him to make the attempt.

After his enlightenment, he went to the Deer Park in Isipatana, located in what is now the province of Uttar Pradesh,
India. There he found the five companions who had abandoned him, and to them he preached his first sermon.
This sermon has been preserved as the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta and centers on the Four Noble Truths.
Instead of teaching doctrines about enlightenment, the Buddha chose to prescribe a path of practice through which
people can realize enlightenment for themselves.

The Buddha devoted himself to teaching, attracting hundreds of followers. Eventually he became reconciled with
his father, King Suddhodana. His wife, the devoted Yasodhara, became a nun and disciple. Rahula, his son,
became a novice monk at the age of 7 and spent the rest of his life with his father.

Last Words

The Buddha tirelessly traveled and taught until his death at age 80. His last words to his followers:

"Behold, O monks, this is my last advice to you. All component things in the world are changeable. They are not
lasting. Work hard to gain your own salvation."

http://buddhism.about.com/od/lifeofthebuddha/a/buddhalife.htm

Shakthiprabha.
1st February 2009, 04:44 PM
Buddhism has

1. Four noble truth
2. Eight fold path
3. Rebirth

as its basic concepts.

Buddha based on his realisation, declared the foll as four noble truth

(1) life is suffering,
(2) suffering is caused by craving,
(3) suffering can have an end, and
(4) there is a path that leads to the end of suffering.

________

Shakthiprabha.
1st February 2009, 04:48 PM
Brushing aside the psuedo pessimism which lies in the first truth, If we go deeper and analyse these statements, we can realise that these talks on KARMA yoga.

Life is NOT a suffering, if led unattached. Why then we face suffering? because the seond truth says, suffering is caused by CRAVING.

This suffering can have an end? how?

Here we can weave our krishna's karma yoga, which says, BY BEING DETACHED, by doing ur karma, without thinking of its end result. By expecting nothing from ANY ACTION, life becomes bliss. There ends suffering.

என்றோ எங்கோ படித்த சில வரிகள்...

One's attitude in life should be similar to that of a CARE TAKER OF A CHILD. She cares, loves (not attaches), does her duty, fondles the child, and when the parents come home, leaves the home, unattached and smiling. Such should be the attitude.

Here comes the difference between UNIVERSAL LOVE and personal love which leads to attachment.

I stop here.

Shakthiprabha.
1st February 2009, 04:49 PM
One of the principles of Buddhism:

While it is impossible to escape one's karma or the effects caused by previous thoughts, words and deeds, it is possible to avoid the suffering that comes from it by becoming enlightened. In this way, dharma offers a refuge. Dharma, used in the sense of the Buddha's teachings, provides a raft and is thus a temporary refuge while entering and crossing the river. However, the real refuge is on the other side of the river.

It is extremely important to note that in Buddhism, the word "refuge" should not be taken in the English sense of "hiding" or "escape;" instead, many scholars have said, it ought be thought of as a homecoming, or place of healing, much as a parent's home might be a refuge for someone. This simple misunderstanding has led some Western scholars to conclude that Buddhism is "a religion for sticking one's head in the sand," when most Buddhists would assert quite the opposite.

NOV
1st February 2009, 06:18 PM
Nice pic SP :)

P_R
1st February 2009, 06:23 PM
>digr.>
I shortly expect some company in this thread. sigai alankAram sarva nAsam
</digr<

Shakthiprabha.
1st February 2009, 07:10 PM
DIGRESSION

thx nov !

>digr.>
I shortly expect some company in this thread. </digr<

:P dunno...lets c :)

sigai alankAram sarva nAsam

:|

/DIGRESSION

Shakthiprabha.
2nd February 2009, 12:08 PM
One of the principles of Buddhism:

While it is impossible to escape one's karma or the effects caused by previous thoughts, words and deeds, it is possible to avoid the suffering that comes from it by becoming enlightened. In this way, dharma offers a refuge. Dharma, used in the sense of the Buddha's teachings, provides a raft and is thus a temporary refuge while entering and crossing the river. However, the real refuge is on the other side of the river.

It is extremely important to note that in Buddhism, the word "refuge" should not be taken in the English sense of "hiding" or "escape;" instead, many scholars have said, it ought be thought of as a homecoming, or place of healing, much as a parent's home might be a refuge for someone. This simple misunderstanding has led some Western scholars to conclude that Buddhism is "a religion for sticking one's head in the sand," when most Buddhists would assert quite the opposite.

It is not westerners alone who misunderstand teachinsg and concepts of spirituality. Aspirants or sadhakas themselves misunderstand the words number of times. Also very own people who follow any particular religion, do not understand the right meaning behind the word, or the right intent with which it is conveyed.

Shakthiprabha.
5th February 2009, 12:44 PM
Buddhism has

1. Four noble truth
2. Eight fold path
3. Rebirth

as its basic concepts.

Buddha based on his realisation, declared the foll as four noble truth

(1) life is suffering,
(2) suffering is caused by craving,
(3) suffering can have an end, and
(4) there is a path that leads to the end of suffering.

________

Now that we have seen what are the 'four noble truths' we shall proceed to read on

Eight fold path.

Wibha
5th February 2009, 12:50 PM
The religion that I want to convert to :thumbsup:

I don't know why but Buddhism has always fascinated me.

Shakthiprabha.
5th February 2009, 01:03 PM
Wibha,

You need not CONVERT to any religion. First we should try and understand our own religon and its prescriptions. Then it is interesting to read other good thoughts from other religion. Just take the essense of good ones in every religion. Every religion has its own path and way to help u reach there.

Take the good ones, from eveyr religion and your own.

Which religion you follow WOULD NOT MATTER, as the goal is THE SAME, just path varies. Sometimes when u deeply analyse path is same too only the WORDS they described the path vaires :)

I am fascinated with buddhism, I wanna know more on buddhism, but having known, I would be very happy to continue towards my goal following hinduism, as I am very comfortable and contented with my own religion too.

//dign

Continue reading or contributing ur thoughts on buddhism which ever you found useful.

Wibha
5th February 2009, 01:07 PM
I love Hinduism and want to know more about it as well, but I really want to convert to Buddhism :)

But yea religion does not matter, Every religion teaches the same thing in it's own ways :)

//

Shakthiprabha.
5th February 2009, 01:15 PM
Now that we know the truth, we want to reach our perfect goal, what is the path to be followed?

Buddha says, eight fold principles if followed methodically will take us there.

We shall have a BRIEF overview on the first of the eight. First one talks on

RIGHT VIEW:

I remember listening to sukabodanandha's oration on how we MISINTERPRET things. Most problems are caused because of misinterpretation.

"ennappa udambu eppadi irukku" can be a concerned question asked by our welwisher. We, with our clouded mind, or when we were unfortunately subjected to unpleasant mood, interpret it in wrong way and there the problem starts. It would result in, tension, anger, sadness, and all negative emoitons.

So what does right view mean?

Right view means to understand the words as they are, without preconceived meanings or notions. To not look beyond or before or beneath but grasp only the visible essense as they are.

Not Having right view has huge impact as the intense of negative view would further be carried on to ur action. Not having right view would result in WRONG ACTION, like vengence and jealousy on another being or wrong anger showed at wrong time or person.

If such is the drastic condition which can be applied for a normal day to day condition on social matters, what would be the EXTENT of misinterpretation one can have on KNOWLEDGE OR SPIRITUALITY?

A guruji may explain a concept, how many can and are possible to get it in exactly the same sense? Hence the difference of opinions in our very goal and the means to achieve it.

1. Right View

Right view is the beginning and the end of the path, it simply means to see and to understand things as they really are and to realise the Four Noble Truth. As such, right view is the cognitive aspect of wisdom. It means to see things through, to grasp the impermanent and imperfect nature of worldly objects and ideas, and to understand the law of karma and karmic conditioning. Right view is not necessarily an intellectual capacity, just as wisdom is not just a matter of intelligence. Instead, right view is attained, sustained, and enhanced through all capacities of mind. It begins with the intuitive insight that all beings are subject to suffering and it ends with complete understanding of the true nature of all things. Since our view of the world forms our thoughts and our actions, right view yields right thoughts and right actions.

http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/eightfoldpath.html

The importance of right view can be gauged from the fact that our perspectives on the crucial issues of reality and value have a bearing that goes beyond mere theoretical convictions. They govern our attitudes, our actions, our whole orientation to existence. Our views might not be clearly formulated in our mind; we might have only a hazy conceptual grasp of our beliefs. But whether formulated or not, expressed or maintained in silence, these views have a far-reaching influence. They structure our perceptions, order our values, crystallize into the ideational framework through which we interpret to ourselves the meaning of our being in the world.

These views then condition action. They lie behind our choices and goals, and our efforts to turn these goals from ideals into actuality.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/waytoend.html#ch2

Right view is called SAMA-DHITTI.

Anyone else , feel free, can explain more on importance crux of this first of the eight path.

Shakthiprabha.
5th February 2009, 01:20 PM
I love Hinduism and want to know more about it as well, but I really want to convert to Buddhism :)

But yea religion does not matter, Every religion teaches the same thing in it's own ways :)

//

cool :)

continue to be with me, and contribute ur well meant and postive thoughts. ( and thats for vicky, pr, other friends n hubbers too)

Sanguine Sridhar
5th February 2009, 02:00 PM
I dont know much about Buddhism. But I like the Golden Temple which is located between Coorg and Bangalore.

Shakthiprabha.
5th February 2009, 02:01 PM
Where in bangalore sridhar?
There is a JAIN temple in 4th block, romba naaLa Ive been tellign my husband, I wanna go visit the temple once.

sivank
5th February 2009, 02:16 PM
My first daughter is fascinated with Buddhism. She is planning to visit Dharamshala during her next visit to India. May be I will join her

Sanguine Sridhar
5th February 2009, 02:17 PM
It is near to Coorg. Kushalnagar, I think. Lovely temple. Don't miss it.

Shakthiprabha.
5th February 2009, 02:24 PM
OH Ive been there :redjump: I was TOTALLY IMPRESSED and carried away. I felt like staying there eternally. I spoke to few monks there. I was so happy.

I think its tibetan buddhism :?

sivank
5th February 2009, 02:26 PM
OH Ive been there :redjump: I was TOTALLY IMPRESSED and carried away. I felt like staying there eternally. I spoke to few monks there. I was so happy.

I think its tibetan buddhism :?

edha sollreenga, kushal nagar aa illa dharamshala vaa :?

Shakthiprabha.
5th February 2009, 02:28 PM
Kushalnagar :redjump:

its so beautiful. peaceful.

Shakthiprabha.
16th February 2009, 12:27 PM
Having browsed the first path prescribed from "the eight fold" path.

The next one talks on

2. Right INTENTION:

What IS right intention? Right intention can be summarised as any RIGHT thought or goal or inspiration behind the action . Motivation behind the action shuold be RIGHT.

What motives can listed as right motives?

Buddha says ANY ACTION PERFORMED with the motive of ULTIMATE GOAL alone is right motive. The motive should be on larger scale and not talking on smaller gains or selfish desires. The motive should be selfless and RENOUNCING material fruits.

http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/eightfoldpath.html#Right_Intention

""""""""""""Buddha distinguishes three types of right intentions:

1. the intention of renunciation, which means resistance to the pull of desire,

2. the intention of good will, meaning resistance to feelings of anger and aversion, and

3. the intention of harmlessness, meaning not to think or act cruelly, violently, or aggressively, and to develop compassion.

Here we see the similarity of the concept of krishna's 'கடமையைச் செய் பலனை எதிர்பாராதே!' Any action done with a selfless motive RENOUNCING desires or fruits is with right intention.

IF this mantra is followed, rest of the principles fit in automatically. IF we perform action as mere karma YOGA, then it would be devoid of anger or passin or aversion, cruelty.

IT would be with the selfless motive i.e. towards the goal of renunciation and attainment of perfection.

/ I am a novice here, Feel free to join, if I am going wrong, or if my perception is wrong, also feel free to post ur version, idea or perception of his teachings. Thanks. /

skanthan
19th February 2009, 03:17 PM
Akka,

I was at a Buddhist temple and then at a Buddhist retreat with one Sinhalese group here back in late 2003 - early 2004. It was very interesting and very peaceful. It was so nice to go for a short time away from the outside world and sit in those peaceful surroundings. I found that much of what was taught there was very similar to what was taught in Hinduism.

Shakthiprabha.
19th February 2009, 03:19 PM
Hey skan, I am glad u visited this thread. Pour in more info, for us to learn and evolve .

:ty:

skanthan
19th February 2009, 03:24 PM
I will do my level best, akka! :thumbsup: ;)

Shakthiprabha.
16th March 2009, 01:13 PM
3. RIGHT SPEECH

Third of the eightfold path talks on "right speech".

When I read thro various websites, what struck me was, this particular advise is something which almost NONE follows. What is right speech? I remember a story, which I had earlier mentioned in amateur spiritual thread. Socrates was approached by a friend, who wanted to share here-say statements regarding one of the students. Socrates had said, before u tell me anything, please ensure it passes the test of three.

Test of three? What is test of three?

First, are u sure what u are gonna say is truth?

Secondly, Is ur statement a good one or would it do good to the object or subject or atleast the one who hears it?

Thirdly, would it be useful to the one who hears?

The man, ashamed, left the place without sharing any news.

Most of us talk things which are futile. We are not sure if the statements are facts. Even if we know its fact, lot of times, it is not a good statement or does not bring goodness to anybody. In tamizh we say 'வியர்த்த பேச்சுக்கள்'. Not just it is of no good, but it is also of no use to the person who hears, or the person who says.

Then why talk at all?

If we use these three filters before we talk, lot of times, most of us wont have anything to talk or share with any other person at all.

Buddha emphasis, 'right speech' as one of the essentials. Words can make or break relationships, happiness, joy, sorrow. After all world is full of words, made of words, die with words. Hence the need to use it carefully becomes more important.

Buddha explains that RIGHT SPEECH should have the following pre-requisites

1. to abstain from false speech, especially not to tell deliberate lies and not to speak deceitfully,

2. to abstain from slanderous speech and not to use words maliciously against others,

3. to abstain from harsh words that offend or hurt others, and

4. to abstain from idle chatter that lacks purpose or depth.

Positively phrased, this means to tell the truth, to speak friendly, warm, and gently and to talk only when necessary.

I assume, most our talks can be dispensed off.

http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/eightfoldpath.html#Right_Speech

(to quote)