PDA

View Full Version : Why is the media here so negative?

sarna_blr
20th February 2009, 11:44 AM
I was in Tel Aviv once and I was reading the Israeli newspaper. It was the day after a lot of attacks and bombardments and deaths had taken place. The Hamas had struck. But the front page of the newspaper had the picture of a Jewish gentleman who in five years had transformed his desert into an orchid and a granary. It was this inspiring picture that everyone woke up to. The gory details of killings, bombardments, deaths, were inside in the newspaper, buried among other news.

In India we only read about death, sickness, terrorism, crime.. Why are we so NEGATIVE?

let us use this thread discuss about our media which carries negative news in front page :oops:

app_engine
20th February 2009, 08:13 PM
May be Tel Aviv is a fool's paradise:-(

There may be over-exposure today due to the size of the media, but to say that tragic / bad things do not happen that require front page attention is like 'முழுப்பூசணிக்காயை சோத்துல மறைக்கிற கதை'.

Let's accept we're living in critical times and thank media for bringing the reality into focus!

app_engine
20th February 2009, 08:15 PM
For example, I started a thread for reporting 'good news' today and how many can anyone post? If there're a lot of good things happening in your neighborhood, why not post them there sarna?

On the other hand, there are umpteen horrible things happening all around and media can't help but report them.

sarna_blr
20th February 2009, 08:16 PM
thank media for bringing the reality into focus!

r u really serious :shock: or joking :?

app_engine
20th February 2009, 08:16 PM
The reality is often much worse than what gets reported.

pavalamani pragasam
20th February 2009, 08:20 PM
Sensationalisation seems to be the motive of MEDIA today! No sincerity, ethics, moral responsibility or dedication to the service of giving information to public.

app_engine
20th February 2009, 09:18 PM
I don't disagree that a big part of media sensationalizes trivial issues (some TV channels are prime culprits in this regard). However, it has always been the issue with media that was "owned" by a political party.

For example, if I want to read news, I won't open murasoli or aNNA or pon manam or theekkadhir:-) They are actually propaganda machines and not real media.

Same goes with SunTV / kalaingar TV / Jaya TV etc. Unfortunately, because of the strong cinema content, the public have been lured to believing that these are ok as news media. THEY ARE NOT!

Unfortunately, the standard of 'pAmaran' is going down and he has started accepting party machinery as 'media'.

If we ignore such propaganda machines, we'll be able to find some responsible media definitely.

However, newspapers cannot be reporting about "kudamuzhukku" in their next street temple when terrorists storm into Taj hotel.

Tell me how many times killers entered star hotels in the past? Why blame media?

It's worthwhile to seriously think of the perilous times that we live in and what it means for us / families and next gen.

app_engine
20th February 2009, 09:24 PM
Another thing is the gov machinery blocking media from reporting the truth.

Take for example the war situation in Srilanka. Most neurtral observers (including top UN officials and those of thoNdu niRuvanangaL) have told that media does not have access to the reality.

The realities there could be so horrible and the gov does not want big international uproar.

What's so sensational in media about this case?

Sanguine Sridhar
20th February 2009, 10:23 PM
Sujatha answered this long back, in katradhum petradhum I guess.

Manidhargal adi manadhil oru vanmurai unarchi eppozhudhum irrukum. Namadhu veedum, samugamum niraya vishyathil nammai adakkuvadhal varugindra velipaade indha mana nilamai.

Thats why media is also publishing shocking, negative news. Its happening all over the world, not only in India. Discovery, NGC thirupinaalum oru singam, puli vettai aaduradha interest-a paakurom. Dont forget we love action heroes a lot. Also too much of violence in the movies is also an outcome of this mentality.

app_engine
20th February 2009, 11:35 PM
Let's look at this news report from a "not-so-elite-but-teekkadai" magazine :

http://dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=470249&disdate=2/20/2009

sarna may prefer this not being reported but instead report some opening of a bus-stop shelter etc. My opinion is we'll never get a picture of the corruption in the system unless such reports pour in.

It's really comical too to read this report where they claim those who took bribes as "அப்பாவி அரசு ஊழியர்" "வறுமையால் சில நூறுகள் மட்டும் கேட்ட" etc
:lol:

pavalamani pragasam
21st February 2009, 09:00 AM
It must be remembered that the tone and presentation matters a lot in the news we are offered. The language, characteristic insinuations, political ( also perverse, wicked, irresponsibly inciting and sensual) overtones, and exaggeration putting stress on wrong, unimportant aspects are all the factors doing the mischief!

app_engine
21st February 2009, 06:19 PM
I agree that the reporter's / publisher's personal bias and motives could give different colors to the material. That actually adds to the thrill and calls one to compare a number of reports before arriving at some conclusion as to facts, after separating out the colorings.

This is an age old problem (right from very old history when people only wrote about their king's victories hiding the defeats in kalvettu's, with very rare exceptions).

As readers, we should be intelligent to dismiss exaggerations from facts.

However, to simply dismiss media as "all negative just by imagination" does not sound truthful.

Look at the U.S. media now which cries about bad economy all the time...is it only imagination? Or should it be focussing on something else?

I'm sure people who lost the whole of their life's savings will testify otherwise and I personally know a lot of them.

Punnaimaran
25th February 2009, 11:34 AM
Dear app_engine,

Nowadays the so called News channels in India do not give news, but give what the majority of the people 'like' to hear.

For example, in the Chennai Ambedkar Law college incident, the fellow who was beaten up was projected as an innocent victim of violent caste hooligans in some channels. They purposely blacked out the news that the same fellow along with 4 rowdies had jumped over the compound wall with sickles, and had cut off an ear of one of the 'violent hooligans'.

The reporting which was full of interviews from one particular caste seemed to be aimed at inciting caste clashes.

Majority of the readers, though 'intelligent enough' to dismiss exaggerations from facts, rather like to hear what they 'believe' is right. And this is only my opinion.

Regards,
Punnaimaran

sarna_blr
25th February 2009, 02:01 PM
Punnaimaran, not alone CLC news, lot more are there.
Our media largely has become money making tool :oops2: like po***ics etc.

app_engine
25th February 2009, 09:50 PM
Punnaimaran,

I can understand the anguish about many TV channels doing propaganda instead of news. Neither do I support it (Fortunately my TV viewing time is close to null and I'm least affected by them. I would always want to **read** news while my mind interacts with the writer and helps to come to better conclusions rather than being **fed** in a bombarding fashion).

However, how did you even get to know that the beaten up boy himself was a violent, casteist criminal? Through **some** part of the **same** media, isn't it? At least there are some people around, doing a decent job:-)

Another thing, this thread is about "why is media so negative" and my reactions are specific to that question - when there're so much negative things happeniing around, you'll only end up hearing about them.

Bias or no-bias, painting or plain, over emphasizing or not - what I expect from media is to give an overall picture of what happens around. Readers / viewers should be intelligent enough to remove the political fluff and identify the actual situation.

If one wants to hear "only positive thoughts", better read holy books:-) They're filled with a lot of them and I strongly recommend spending at least an hour each day on them to read and meditate, which is my routine.

It's not news media's job to replace them:-)

app_engine
25th February 2009, 09:52 PM
Our media largely has become money making tool

Media has ALWAYS been a money making tool (right from 'poRkAsukkAgappAdum pulavar kAlam':-) )

அவங்களுக்கும் "தொழில் தர்மம்" இருக்குங்கோ:-)

app_engine
25th February 2009, 09:55 PM
Interestingly, despite all the negative aspects surrounding Thamizh's at this point of time, is not the media gloriously celebrating the great honor of ARR & his fantastic 'எல்லாப்புகழும் இறைவனுக்கே'?

இதுக்கு என்ன சொல்லுறீங்க? They're just reporting what is the great thing by what I would call "grand total method" for a given day:-)

What should be more disturbing is the pAmaran being so naive to trust sun news and ignore reading politically neutral sources. That is probably a bad trend in TN to be worried than thinking about media being +ve or -ve.

Punnaimaran
26th February 2009, 10:53 AM
What should be more disturbing is the pAmaran being so naive to trust sun news and ignore reading politically neutral sources. That is probably a bad trend in TN to be worried than thinking about media being +ve or -ve.

app_engine, I agree with your views.

புன்னைமாறனை புன்னைமரம் என்று குறிப்பிட்டதற்கு காரணம் ஏதேனும் உண்டா? மரமண்டை?? Ha.. ha...ha...

app_engine
26th February 2009, 09:42 PM
புன்னைமாறனை புன்னைமரம் என்று குறிப்பிட்டதற்கு காரணம் ஏதேனும் உண்டா? மரமண்டை?? Ha.. ha...ha...

oh..OH...I'm sorry, misread your ID...correcting it...

sarna_blr
27th February 2009, 08:37 AM
அவங்களுக்கும் "தொழில் தர்மம்" இருக்குங்கோ:-)

இது வேரயா :twisted: :oops:

app_engine
27th February 2009, 08:28 PM
sarna_blr, ok, ok you should read like the way Vivek says in Shivaji :-)
(professional ethics - தொழில் தர்மம்)

Punnaimaran
28th February 2009, 12:24 PM
My God dear app_, the comment was intended for fun and nothing else. There was no need for the sorry and the correction.

Cheers!!

oh..OH...I'm sorry, misread your ID...correcting it...

app_engine
2nd March 2009, 11:06 PM
Media is "negative" everywhere (not just in India or TN), because things are getting worse.

Read this article :
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090302/METRO/903020406

Findings released this morning by the Pew Center on the States show that one in 31 U.S. adults is under corrections system control such as in prison or on parole or probation. That proportion is more than double what it was 25 years ago.

The report also says that the ratio is Michigan is worse. Another article from Detroit Free press states that in some neighborhoods of Detroit, 1 in 7 have been convicted, in prison-parole-probation.

It does not include "past-convicts" & "future-convicts". And, as always, some continue to "escape" - a number that can never be quantified.

Feeling safe and optimistic with the state of affairs? You must be day-dreaming or in Tel-Aviv:-)

sarna_blr
3rd March 2009, 08:12 AM
For example, if I want to read news, I won't open murasoli or aNNA or pon manam or theekkadhir:-) They are actually propaganda machines and not real media.

neenga edha padippeenga :?:

Same goes with SunTV / kalaingar TV / Jaya TV etc. Unfortunately, because of the strong cinema content, the public have been lured to believing that these are ok as news media. THEY ARE NOT!

:oops:

Unfortunately, the standard of 'pAmaran' is going down and he has started accepting party machinery as 'media'.

idhukkudhaan indha thread open pannEn .

app_engine
3rd March 2009, 08:14 PM

idhukkudhaan indha thread open pannEn .

Then please change the title of the thread to bash 'pAmaran' (like why common folks in TN are so dumb / becoming dumber or something like that) instead of bashing media :-)

sarna_blr
3rd March 2009, 08:46 PM
app_engine, neenga press or TV'la work panreengalaa :?

app_engine
3rd March 2009, 08:59 PM
app_engine, neenga press or TV'la work panreengalaa :?

இல்லை. ஆனால் நமக்கு விவரம் நல்குவதில் அவர்கள் ஆற்றும் பணிக்கு ஒரு சின்ன நன்றிக்கடன் :-)

Seriously, if not for the bold media people, how the good / corrupt authorities could have been exposed?

ok, now a simple question - where did the material came to what you call your school "history" text books? Whom do they owe?

app_engine
4th March 2009, 07:59 PM
sarna,

Please look at this link to appreciate the nice part of media :

http://sundararajan123.blogspot.com/2009/01/blog-post_23.html

(Thank you Joe for posting this link in another thread)

app_engine
18th March 2009, 09:53 PM
I've just found out that All India Radio has its own website and the recent news broadcasts are hosted there as well.

http://www.newsonair.com/news_schedule.asp

It was kind of funny to listen to the "authentic Indian radio news" from AkAsh vANi after many years :-)