PDA

View Full Version : HUGE rant about the make-up/beauty ideals in cinema/society

kannuma
13th January 2005, 08:50 AM
i was waiting for my mum to give me the remote so i could flip the channel form her sun tv to my good ol soap, when i chanced to see yet again an actress with makeup plastered on her face that made her look chalky and ashen. i believe they wanted to make her look fair. i started to post this in tamil films, but decided its a vicious circle where ppl are constantly told about ideals of beauty and then harm themselves trying to get there(some hydroquinone anyone?). it bleeps(censored:P) me off so much. all those women are so pretty without being ashen/chalky/tryiong to be white, why do we want them to be fair? and for that matter thoge doggone fairever/fair and lovely ads. excuse me but if a guy wouldn't marry say someone dear to me like my cousin, coz she was dark, i'd have him castrated. or better yet celebrate coz she wasn'g going to marry a man who was such a racist. yes i do consider this a form of racism. in the least its bias based on skin colour. so there:P.
have you ever felt the brunt of this horrible trend(pl don't bring the west or something into it since they want annorexic popicles with huge gazungas. the western media too has a screwed up ideal of beauty.) what do you feel about this bias on skin colour? have u ever been discriminated against? i know this is a prevalent topic among desis, but plz share.

and on a lighter note, i am a self-proclaimed make-up maven/addict. i dont wear make-up myself since i hate anything on my face(other tham moisturizer with spf), but i LOVE doing other ppls make-up(im an rtist. it feels like i can work on a canvas thats a live:P). if i could give those sun tv actresses/actors a make-over. yowza, they'll be hothothot. the actresses are all very pretty, they just need lotsa grooming.

Shekhar
13th January 2005, 09:51 AM
kannuma,

Please rest assured... A man's chemistry is not affected by tv ads. If they click, they click irrespective of colour, caste, language and yes.. even age! :wink:

But I am not against make up :D My eyes would definitely turn towards sleevless and lipstic!!
And I have got into trouble many times ogling at a cute thing when my wife was there with me !! :)

blahblah
13th January 2005, 10:41 AM
Shekhar,fully agreed with all your views about make up.But when you are with your wife,remember 'discretion is the better part of valour". :D One of my friends was not so fortunate to escape his wife's eyes.And he had to pay for letting his caution to ease.[You know what-he had to live like a bachelor for two weeks :lol: ]

jaiganes
13th January 2005, 11:08 AM
Two interesting points that came to my mind after reading previous posts!
1. What about all those rajinikanths and vikjayakanths and vijays who apply 10 inch maeup (extra 5 kilos just in their face)?
2. When I was in college, there was a friend of mine who had a huge inferiority complex abt his face colour. So he went to a parlour and did a face bleach and ho something went wrong, along with that he lost his moustache and all forms of facial hair(he still unable make any progress in that area!! :lol: ) It is another take that we buried him in satirical remarks!!

kannuma
13th January 2005, 11:04 PM
Two interesting points that came to my mind after reading previous posts!
1. What about all those rajinikanths and vikjayakanths and vijays who apply 10 inch maeup (extra 5 kilos just in their face)?
2. When I was in college, there was a friend of mine who had a huge inferiority complex abt his face colour. So he went to a parlour and did a face bleach and ho something went wrong, along with that he lost his moustache and all forms of facial hair(he still unable make any progress in that area!! :lol: ) It is another take that we buried him in satirical remarks!!

even the male actors look grey because of the whitish cast on their skin. oops thats trying to be fair skinned. i hate that. what u need is good skin(poreless, even and not blotchy).

and regarding 2nd point. so sad about that guy in your college. i hate it when ppl feel obligated because of pressure to bleach their skin etc. makes me very sad.
when i was working in a saree shop in holland, i had a strage thing happen. usually my boss would always compliment me(except for me being on time. me being on time will happen next time halley's comet comes. or maybe the next asteroid to hit the earth). and then once in the summer, he was like anu???? what happened to u??? you're not indian but sri lankan rite? i asked him y he would say that when he knew i was from andhra. he goes like 'indians are fair, never dark. and they dont tan.' i looked at him and lost all my respect. i mean, course i tan(i do wear at least spf 15 coz im scared of melanoma<- the sun in holland seriously burned me once). and i send most of my time outside when the weathers gorgeous. what was i supposed to do? sit inside and watch others have fun????

kannuma
13th January 2005, 11:56 PM
kannuma,

Please rest assured... A man's chemistry is not affected by tv ads. If they click, they click irrespective of colour, caste, language and yes.. even age! :wink:

But I am not against make up :D My eyes would definitely turn towards sleevless and lipstic!!
And I have got into trouble many times ogling at a cute thing when my wife was there with me !! :)

im sorry but if that were true, there'd be no need for fairever/fair and lovely(eugh hate tht name) and the likes.

Shekhar
15th January 2005, 10:20 AM
im sorry but if that were true, there'd be no need for fairever/fair and lovely(eugh hate tht name) and the likes.

Anu, believe me it is really true..
Just watch any fashion channel, you can see beautiful girls of all hues from anemic white to jet black!
A woman's voluptousness or attraction is not in her skin.. it is in her personality, maturity and attitude towards people. More considerate and genuine more beautiful, meaner the uglier..

As for fair and lovely.. there is no derth of fools in this world. (More so because long term bleaching causes irreversible heavy pigmentation..so they end up darker than before.)

blahblah
15th January 2005, 10:38 AM
A woman's voluptousness or attraction is not in her skin.. it is in her personality, maturity and attitude......

Liar,liar Shekhar! :lol: :wink:

Shekhar
16th January 2005, 04:57 PM
Hey comeon... I am not a newt :wink: It is on a different plane I am talking..

Between colour and curve I choose curve (and curve irrespective of colour) any day buddy.. And 'curve' is in her hands.. colour is not..

But what I am talking about really is true attraction and not drooling glance.
I have enjoyed the company of not so good looking girls but who are without meanness, funloving, sweet in nature, caring..Whereas I have not been able to stand for two minutues some gorgeous beauties who are so vain that they think, because their skin is fair the world has to fall at their feet.
Men get attracted not by the colour of the skin but by the twinkle in the eyes. And that twinkle is determined by the personality of the girl.
I cannot see any girl member of this hub. But I know whom I can fall in love with..

blahblah
16th January 2005, 07:49 PM
I cannot see any girl member of this hub. But I know whom I can fall in love with..

Now it's a bit more clear!Great intentions Pal! :poke: :lol2:

jaiganes
17th January 2005, 11:59 AM
If there is one adage that I have found to be 100% true. It is this one. I recently read a Jayakanthan story which tackles this very same question. The story was in a collection of stories called "Dhevan varuvaara?". It is all about children. In one story (I forgot the title) there are two sisters , one healthy, but ugly and the other good looking but afflicted with TB. The ugly looking sister is a spinster while the good looking sister is married and is having a child. Her husband never lets the ugly looking sister touch thier child. In one circumstance, his wife, the good looking sister falls extremely sick while her baby is also not doing well. The ugly looking sister takes care of the baby, when the husband returns, he finds his baby smiling innocently in the hands of the ugly looking sister and then realises that the innocent baby does not feel the ugliness of the skin while all along his own mind has been creating this 'so called' ugliness around her. Beauty is not just skin deep. it runs deep into the hearts of individuals. A touching story indeed.

Raghu
17th January 2005, 07:42 PM
Er, I am missing something here :? , I mean Foundation is applied to cover up acne marks, blemishes, when you stand in front of acamera, unless you have perfect skin, every fault is highly visible on camera than to the naked eye :(, that is the reason Foundation is applied, NOTHING to do with skin colour, in my opinion, Brown skin is the beauty, not pale, as long as you have Beautiful facial features like, Big Beautiful eyes, Nice sharp nose & fine Jaw lines any one would look beautiful, regardless of colour, typical beauties are

of this nature are Hema Malini, Sri devi, Aish, Sumalatha, Lakshmi..

son
18th January 2005, 01:16 AM
Sri devi and Aish are not beautiful according to me.
even if they will fall in my feet i will not marry them.
i have a different taste. Go for beyonce or priyanka chopra

Querida
18th January 2005, 09:09 AM
Well Kannuma i agree that there are many false beliefs that desi girls hold about being fair is beautiful but i also know that Shekhar is correct is saying that even if men may prefer that in an actress (we all like eye candy...just think where us gurls be without that Arjun Rampal :P ) in a life partner more is seen than just fairness and looks...dont exclude us ladies...we also vouch for fairness and built...but well i rather like the tall (well taller than me anyways) dark and handsome( as in great smile and personality) any day (or only those 5% of the population shown in tv would be pursued) anyways yes i also hate the (im ugly cause im dark thing) i have seen way too many exceptions to that so called rule...and "i gotta become a stick" all the (bleeping) time...curves are better any day...of course excess is not good either...makeup is fine as long as you use it to enhance not hide your features....seriously foundation may cover up blemishes but it also stops them from clearing up and worse causes more...your skin has got to breathe

Roshan
18th January 2005, 10:29 AM
makeup is fine as long as you use it to enhance not hide your features

Yeah true!!!

...seriously foundation may cover up blemishes but it also stops them from clearing up and worse causes more...your skin has got to breathe

Exactly !! Daily and excessive use of foundation is extremely harmful.

Shekhar
18th January 2005, 04:43 PM
makeup is fine as long as you use it to enhance not hide your features....

Tell me why NOT?!! unless it is the wife and husband won't recognise her! :D

Hi Roshan...

Come on.. you all ladies use creams and lotions in buckets and barrels, and here you are all modest :D :D

I know you ladies hate foundation..You want husbands to build castles without wasting time for foundation!! :lol:

Nice to see you back in forum.. you bring colour to the discussions .. (without foundation!!! :lol: :lol:)

Roshan
18th January 2005, 05:31 PM
Come on.. you all ladies use creams and lotions in buckets and barrels, and here you are all modest
I was only talking about foundation Shekhar :wink: :lol:

I know you ladies hate foundation..You want husbands to build castles without wasting time for foundation!!
That was a good one , but is that your real life experience :lol: Anyways ladies are smart enough and they are certainly aware of the fact that anything made/built for them, would have a strong foundation whether it really exists or not :lol:

Nice to see you back in forum.. you bring colour to the discussions .. (without foundation!!! )
Can I take it as a comliment? :wink: :roll:

Shekhar
19th January 2005, 03:55 PM
Of course it is compliment girl :wink: ..if you exclude the foundation part (that of course is a joke a you know I always do) :P :wink: :)

kannuma
20th January 2005, 01:41 AM
Er, I am missing something here :? , I mean Foundation is applied to cover up acne marks, blemishes, when you stand in front of acamera, unless you have perfect skin, every fault is highly visible on camera than to the naked eye :(, that is the reason Foundation is applied, NOTHING to do with skin colour, in my opinion, Brown skin is the beauty, not pale, as long as you have Beautiful facial features like, Big Beautiful eyes, Nice sharp nose & fine Jaw lines any one would look beautiful, regardless of colour, typical beauties are

of this nature are Hema Malini, Sri devi, Aish, Sumalatha, Lakshmi..

erm, i have nothing against foundation when its used to even out the skintone. not when its 4 shades lighter than your own skin colour and makes one look ashen, when the objective was to look 'fairer' that wa smy point :)

kannuma
20th January 2005, 01:43 AM
fyi, foundation is not bad for your skin. as long as you wash it off at night and use the right kind(one thaT doesnt clog pores etc) you have nothing to worry abt.

but i wonder, why the fair and locely ads? why do the actresses pile on foundation lighter than their skin tone? they are catering to a beauty ideal. otherwise theyd leave their skintone the same, and use foundation in the same skintone, and not harm their skin with hydroquinone and the sort. unless its a pressure exerted on women, they wouldnt do this. thats my point. and not only women, everyone.

Raghu
24th January 2005, 04:45 PM
kanuma,

'why do the actresses pile on foundation lighter than their skin tone?'

true, when they apply foundation which not the same colour as their skin, their skin looks white and bad, as though they have put Powder on their face :(