PDA

View Full Version : Terror Attack - 6 Srilankan Players injured

Sanguine Sridhar
3rd March 2009, 10:22 AM
Please update....

sgokulprathap
3rd March 2009, 10:24 AM
http://cricketnext.in.com/news/sri-lankan-team-fired-at-in-lahore/38740-13.html

In a dastardly attack the Sri Lankan cricket team was today targeted by unidentified gunmen who opened fire on their bus while they were on their way to the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore on Tuesday.

According to Geo TV reports, four policemen who were part of the security ring for the Sri Lankan players have been killed.

Apart from firing at the team, even grenades were lobbed at the Lankan team bus. The police and security forces have cordoned off the area and the encounter is still on.

sgokulprathap
3rd March 2009, 10:24 AM
Five Lankan players injured in attack; tour cancelled.

Sourav
3rd March 2009, 10:25 AM
Terror attack on the sri lankan players...
Title-a matthu...It was aimed on players.

directhit
3rd March 2009, 10:25 AM
From cricinfo:

Kumar Sangakkara is believed to be among the injured, according to team manager Brendon Kruppu.

Sourav
3rd March 2009, 10:26 AM
LAHORE, Pakistan, (AFP) – Several Sri Lankan cricket players were shot and wounded Tuesday when their bus came under fire in Pakistan's eastern city of Lahore, their manager Brenden Kurrupu told AFP.

He said up to five or six players were believed to have been wounded.

The shooting took place near the Gaddafi stadium gate when the team was heading for the third day's play in the second Test against Pakistan, he said.

"We are assessing the situation," Pakistan cricket board chief Ejaz Butt said.

In Sri Lanka, Sports Minister Gamini Lokuge said two players, Tharanga Paranavitana and Thilan Samaraweera, had been taken to hospital in the city.[tscii:9e4bde3fc7][/tscii:9e4bde3fc7]

sgokulprathap
3rd March 2009, 10:27 AM
http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2009/mar/03gunmen-attack-sri-lanka-cricketers-in-lahore.htm
Gunmen killed at least four people in an attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team's bus on Tuesday as it drove to the Gadaffi stadium in Lahore [Images], according to witnesses and cricket officials.

Sri Lankan media, quoting the sports minister, said four players received minor injuries in the attack -- Kumar Sangakkara, Ajantha Mendis , Thilan Samaraweera and Tharanga Paranavithana.

Pakistan television channels said four people were killed.

A witness told Reuters he believed two police commandos were killed along with a regular policeman and a traffic warden. Shopkeeper Ahmed Ali said the two police commandos had been driving behind the team bus when they were hit.

"It was a very heavy firing and I heard at least two explosions at the time," said a Reuters witness who had been on his way to cover the test match between Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

Pakistan only invited the Sri Lanka team to tour after India's team pulled out with security concerns following the militant attacks on the Indian city of Mumbai in November.

Sourav
3rd March 2009, 10:30 AM
In a tragic incident seven Sri Lankan players were injured in a attack near Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore. Sangakkara, Samrveera and Mendis were among the injured, who sustained bullet injuries. Media report claims that Samarveera sustains two bullets in his lungs. Definitely, it's a shameful incident. :(

sgokulprathap
3rd March 2009, 10:33 AM
http://cricketnext.in.com/news/tour-cancelled-after-lanka-team-is-fired-at/38740-13.html

Five Lankan players injured in attack; tour cancelled

New Delhi: Sri Lanka's tour of Pakistan was cancelled on Tuesday after about 12 unidentified gunmen opened fire and injured the visiting players, including Kumar Sangakkara, Thilan Samaraweera and Ajantha Mendis near the Gaddafi stadium in Lahore this morning.

Seven to eight Sri Lankan players are believed to have received bullet wounds after the gunmen surrounded their team bus and opened fire while they were on their way to the stadium. Today was the third day of the second Test between Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

Two of the players are believed to be seriously injured, according to the security officer of the Gaddafi stadium.

ajithfederer
3rd March 2009, 11:12 AM
Pakistan v Sri Lanka, 2nd Test, Lahore, 3rd day

SL cricketers injured in terror attack

Cricinfo staff

March 3, 2009

Terror struck at the heart of cricket when masked gunmen attacked the bus carrying the Sri Lankan cricket team to the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore. Five cricketers, including Mahela Jayawardene, the Sri Lankan captain, and his deputy Kumar Sangakkara, received minor injuries. The attack left five security men dead and will almost certainly lead to abandonment of the ongoing Test match.

While there have been terror strikes on the peripheries of cricket, this is the first time players have been directly targeted. The Sri Lankans were on their way to the Gaddafi Stadium when their bus was attacked by five armed terrorists near Liberty market. Habibur Rehman, chief commissioner of police, said 12 masked terrorists fired at the Sri Lankan team bus. The gunmen shot at the wheels of the bus and also injured the driver. A grenade was also thrown at the bus but it missed. The others players injured are Ajantha Mendis, Thilan Samaraweera and Tharanga Paranavitana

"The bus came under attack as we were driving to the stadium, the gunmen targeted the wheels of the bus first and then the bus," Mahela Jayawardene told Cricinfo. "We all dived to the floor to take cover. About five players have been injured and also Paul Farbrace [a member of the support staff], but most of the injuries appear to be minor at this stage and caused by debris."

The Sri Lankan team had stepped in to fill a gap after the Indian government had barred the Indian team from touring Pakistan in the aftermath of the terror attack in Mumbai by Pakistan-based terrorists.

More to follow ...

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/pakvsl/content/current/story/393212.html

P_R
3rd March 2009, 11:26 AM
Solidarity be damned.

ajithfederer
3rd March 2009, 11:31 AM
Its high time Pakistan be stripped off from being a member of ICC.

ajithfederer
3rd March 2009, 11:35 AM
Team to take first available flight home

Posted 5 minutes ago in Lahore terror attack

Sri Lanka's foreign minister has confirmed that the team will return today. He said they hoped to take the first available flight. He said that six players were hurt and that the players were being evacuated from the stadium and taken to a safe play. He's praising the Pakistan authorities for their cooperation and is appalled that a sporting team has been targeted in this manner.

http://blogs.cricinfo.com/breakingnews/archives/2009/03/team_to_take_fi.php

directhit
3rd March 2009, 11:36 AM
Its high time Pakistan be stripped off from being a member of ICC. Exactly!!

Shakthiprabha.
3rd March 2009, 11:47 AM
http://www.headlinesindia.com/india-and-world/pakistan/five-killed-four-players-hurt-as-sri-lanka-cricketers-attacked-in-lahore-8063.html

joe
3rd March 2009, 11:51 AM
:shock:

ajithfederer
3rd March 2009, 11:58 AM
http://blogs.cricinfo.com/breakingnews/archives/lahore_terror_a/

updates here

ajithfederer
3rd March 2009, 12:00 PM
Samaraweera, Paravitarana most seriously hurt

Posted 23 minutes ago in Lahore terror attack

Our sources tell us Samaraweera and Paravitarana were the ones most seriously injured and have been taken to hospital. they had shrapnel wounds in the chest and hamstring which have been dressed and they are doing fine.

:oops: :cry:

Shakthiprabha.
3rd March 2009, 12:04 PM
Enna kodumai parunga.
avanunga, ennavo action edukkaraanungalaam, to rule out vanumrai and theeviravatham.

I rather shut up.

directhit
3rd March 2009, 12:05 PM
ATLEAST NOW, someone ought to take an action on that nation and the groups involved

Movie Cop
3rd March 2009, 12:08 PM
This should rank as the most ignominious day for the country of Pakistan! I hope ICC makes some stern decision at least this time. Pakistan should be banned to host any form of international cricket with immediate effect! :evil:

Heart goes out to the Sri Lankan cricketers and their family! :( Hope the players recover soon! :(

Shame on PCB & the Pakistani government! :evil: Time for ICC to take some action! :x

joe
3rd March 2009, 12:14 PM
Heart goes out to the Sri Lankan cricketers and their family!

My heart goes out to the families of 5 Pakistani policemen dead.

joe
3rd March 2009, 12:22 PM
இலங்கை கிரிக்கெட் அணி மீது துப்பாக்கிச் சூடு நடத்திவிட்டு தப்பிச் சென்ற தீவிரவாதிகள் கடாப் ஸ்டேடியத்தில் விட்டுச் சென்ற 4 வெடிகுண்டுகள் பறிமுதல் செய்யப்பட்டுள்ளன.

Vivasaayi
3rd March 2009, 12:22 PM
sincerely pray for Samaraweera, Paravitarana to get home as they entered pakistan

joe
3rd March 2009, 12:32 PM
All SL players are safe :kumar sangakara

joe
3rd March 2009, 12:34 PM
"I want to say it's the same pattern, the same terrorists who attacked Mumbai," Salman Taseer, governor of central Punjab province

Sourav
3rd March 2009, 12:48 PM
In Pics
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/slideshow/4216803.cms?imw=460

crajkumar_be
3rd March 2009, 02:06 PM
Let's see what happens now

Actually, its only because the terrorists did not or did not want to attack sportsmen that such an incident hadn't happened till now. To me, all the 'assurances' etc don't have much value. enga venaalum, edhu venaalum nadakkalaam.

சில கேள்விகள் எழும்புகின்றன... பார்ப்போம்...

ajaybaskar
3rd March 2009, 02:14 PM
Pakistan Cricket Board tried to outsmart BCCI by bringing Srilanka instead of India. Now these poor lankans have paid the price. This has to be dealt seriously with.

Vivasaayi
3rd March 2009, 02:16 PM

Actually, its only because the terrorists did not or did not want to attack sportsmen that such an incident hadn't happened till now. To me, all the 'assurances' etc don't have much value. enga venaalum, edhu venaalum nadakkalaam.

why did they attack cricketers now...bizarre really!

ajaybaskar
3rd March 2009, 02:20 PM
Maybe they wanted to prove that their target was the Indian players. Otherwise, I dont find any reason for them to attack SL players.

MADDY
3rd March 2009, 02:27 PM

Actually, its only because the terrorists did not or did not want to attack sportsmen that such an incident hadn't happened till now. To me, all the 'assurances' etc don't have much value. enga venaalum, edhu venaalum nadakkalaam....

yes, not jsut sportsmen, even as normal people, i certainly feel 'lucky' to be still alive........i think this should be the thinking of many indians and pakistanis........i mean, we were discussing today how easy it is to enter our office and kill atleast 100 people.........destroying a city like chennai or Mumbai is not that tough either.............look at the attackers today - they had rocket launchers with them - how long will it take for them to get a nuclear weapon and launcher for it??

all govts know what to do - but are not doing......it takes a very great political will to stop terrorism......pakistan esp needs to stop sheltering terrorists in name of Islam......they are just getting crippled.......

p.s: this is the second instance in history of humanity that sportsperson being targetted in any sort of attacks......previous one being the killing of isreali sportspersons in 1972 Munich olympics........Israel retaliated back by killing each of the killers using undercover agents........watch "Munich" film for more details

crajkumar_be
3rd March 2009, 02:30 PM

What puzzles me is why would LET do such a thing (if its them)? Or is it a matter of unsettling the state (Taliban)?

Vivasaayi
3rd March 2009, 02:33 PM

Actually, its only because the terrorists did not or did not want to attack sportsmen that such an incident hadn't happened till now. To me, all the 'assurances' etc don't have much value. enga venaalum, edhu venaalum nadakkalaam....

all govts know what to do - but are not doing......it takes a very great political will to stop terrorism......pakistan esp needs to stop sheltering terrorists in name of Islam......they are just getting crippled.......

May be Military rule is best suited for pakistan to combat terror.

crajkumar_be
3rd March 2009, 02:34 PM

:shock: :shock: Are you serious???

Vivasaayi
3rd March 2009, 02:35 PM

What puzzles me is why would LET do such a thing (if its them)? Or is it a matter of unsettling the state (Taliban)?

may be a minor terrorist organization did it for publicity or mileage as kamran abbasi in pak spin has put it.

joe
3rd March 2009, 02:36 PM

:roll: :roll:
Pakistan military thaan terrorist-a train panni india-kku anuppuranga-nnu naama (india) sollurom.

Moreover ,Pakistan-la military rule irukkum pothu Terror attack ethuvum nadakkaliya? allathu Military rule vanthavudane Terrorists vera velaikku poyiduvaangaLa? :roll:

viraajan
3rd March 2009, 02:38 PM
yes, not jsut sportsmen, even as normal people, i certainly feel 'lucky' to be still alive........i think this should be the thinking of many indians and pakistanis........i mean, we were discussing today how easy it is to enter our office and kill atleast 100 people.........destroying a city like chennai or Mumbai is not that tough either.............look at the attackers today - they had rocket launchers with them - how long will it take for them to get a nuclear weapon and launcher for it??

Exactly my thoughts....

It's not at all a big deal to invade cities like Chennai and kill 100s of naive public. Certainly not a big task. Yes. We are lucky enough.

As Bala says, anything can happen at anytime to anyone....

Vivasaayi
3rd March 2009, 02:39 PM
CR,

I definitely feel that the Military regime is best suited for pak.

Atleast under these circumstances - where all the elements of Govt would fall under one leader instead of a nation with multiple centres of power with different plans.

Zardari cant even stand by his words or be consistent.

Vivasaayi
3rd March 2009, 02:40 PM
Joe,

It was better when military regime was in control i feel - i mean better..atleast the nation had a leader.

joe
3rd March 2009, 02:45 PM
Joe,

It was better when military regime was in control i feel - i mean better..atleast the nation had a leader.

In Pakistan ,Military is always powerful and democratic govt always fail to control military ..so Military rule iruntha ore control ..understood ..But ,Military or Govt ,when they become less supportive of Terrorists ,Terrorists will not hesitate to fight against Govt or military.

Once Musaraf turned supportive of US ,avarai pottu thalla muYarchi nadanthathe.

crajkumar_be
3rd March 2009, 02:46 PM

When India visited Pakistan in 2004(?), there was a lot of debate on whether India should go or not, w.r.t safety of the players. Appo Ramachandra Guha made a statment like "We can rest assured that they will not attack sportsmen. That's going to be bad publicity for them"

Thanks heavens, for, it could have been worse today. What has the SL administration got their players into?

crajkumar_be
3rd March 2009, 02:48 PM
Viv,
The current reading is like this: because the current civilian Govt in Pakistan is weak, it is not able to stop the military/ISI from unleashing terror. Neenga solrathukku opposite

Sanguine Sridhar
3rd March 2009, 02:49 PM
Indha attack-a paatha chumma bayam kaatradhukku maadhri thaan theriyudhu, vera yedho motive!

Vivasaayi
3rd March 2009, 02:50 PM
Once Imran khan said that they wont attack cricketers.

Its like saying "kadikadhu...bayapadaama ulla vanga"

joe
3rd March 2009, 02:51 PM
IMO ,எப்படி ரஷ்யாவுக்கெதிராக அமெரிக்கா கொம்பு சீவி விட்ட ஒசாமாவை பின்னர் அமெரிக்காவால் அடக்க முடியாமல் போனதோ ,அது போல பாகிஸ்தான் கொம்புசீவி விட்ட தீவிரவாதிகளை அதனால் இப்போது அடக்க முடியவில்லை.

Vivasaayi
3rd March 2009, 02:52 PM
Viv,
The current reading is like this: because the current civilian Govt in Pakistan is weak, it is not able to stop the military/ISI from unleashing terror. Neenga solrathukku opposite

From what I ve read,its told that musharaff fought terror to a certain level...adhaan

:oops:

joe
3rd March 2009, 02:52 PM
Once Imran khan said that they wont attack cricketers.

Its like saying "kadikadhu...bayapadaama ulla vanga"

Yeah .Appadi patta naai sila neram owner-aye kadichidum.

joe
3rd March 2009, 02:56 PM
Viv,

From what I ve read,its told that musharaff fought terror to a certain level...adhaan

Viv,
Musaraf period or now ,Terror incidents happening in pakistan in daily basis ..athellam naama kandukkirathilla ..Since it is attck on Cricketers ,we are focused.

crajkumar_be
3rd March 2009, 02:58 PM
Viv,

"Terror" - appadi nu oru bucket kulla poda mudiyuma nu therila..
Frontier la oru porattam (Taliban), internal unrest, (Baluch prachanai la India RAW-hand irukku nu solraanga), Kashmiri Jihad nu vevvera irukke...

crajkumar_be
3rd March 2009, 02:59 PM
Viv,

Viv,
Musaraf period or now ,Terror incidents happening in pakistan in daily basis ..athellam naama kandukkirathilla ..Since it is attck on Cricketers ,we are focused.
Yes, attacks on cricketers or 5 star hotels/South Mumbai would create more visibility and outrage than bombing crowded markets, buses and trains. Maybe this is what Ramachandra Guha meant by bad publicity

sankara1970
3rd March 2009, 05:59 PM
it is indeed unhappy incident that the players are injured.
Our own players are supposed to play with Pak. It is also a bad decision by SL board and govt.

littlemaster1982
3rd March 2009, 06:53 PM
What the heck :shock: Hope the SL players' injuries are minor.

MADDY
3rd March 2009, 07:21 PM
What the heck :shock: Hope the SL players' injuries are minor.

all of them survived and are safe,,,,Ranatunga was the man behind this SL tour of Pak.......he must be stopped from making any decisions hereon.....

i doubt if World cup 2011 would ever happen in Indian subcontinent.........coupled with recession and meltdown - cancel aanalum aachaaryam illa

littlemaster1982
3rd March 2009, 07:44 PM
i doubt if World cup 2011 would ever happen in Indian subcontinent.........coupled with recession and meltdown - cancel aanalum aachaaryam illa

I had this doubt too. Even there was a news floating around that 2011 WC won't be in Indian subcontinent.

MADDY
3rd March 2009, 08:26 PM

I had this doubt too. Even there was a news floating around that 2011 WC won't be in Indian subcontinent.

immediate implication - IPL will be postponed

steveaustin
3rd March 2009, 08:33 PM
How the attack on cricketers happened (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7920303.stm)

ajithfederer
3rd March 2009, 08:36 PM
http://uk.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idUKL304013020090303

steveaustin
3rd March 2009, 08:37 PM
Media review: Pakistan cricket damaged (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7920677.stm)

steveaustin
3rd March 2009, 08:43 PM
Sri Lanka cricketers airlifted (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7920509.stm)

ajaybaskar
3rd March 2009, 08:45 PM

immediate implication - IPL will be postponed

IPL is postponed bcoz of elections. Thats what I heard... :?

steveaustin
3rd March 2009, 08:48 PM
Journalist describes Sri Lanka attack (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7920339.stm)

Attack similar to the Mumbai attacks says CCPO

Sangakkara hails 'amazing' bus driver (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/7921095.stm)

ajithfederer
3rd March 2009, 09:40 PM
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/393309.html

Terror in Pakistan

ICC refuses to be drawn on 2011 World Cup

Cricinfo staff

March 3, 2009

Haroon Lorgat: "We will need to become tighter in how we gather security" © AFP

ICC president David Morgan has played down suggestions that the 2011 World Cup will be moved away from Pakistan where some of the matches are scheduled to be staged.

Speaking to a media conference at Lord's and flanked by chief executive Haroon Lorgat, Morgan admitted that the ICC "will have to think carefully about the extent Pakistan will be used for the event. The current situation need not perpetuate into the future. We must not believe Pakistan will remain unsafe for ever. Teams should not be expected to go there in the immediate future."

He added that the matter would not be discussed before the next ICC executive meeting which is scheduled to take place in Abu Dhabi in April.

"This is a sad day for cricket and cricketers, Morgan continued. "On many occasions we have been told cricketers would never be targeted and this morning's events have proved that to be incorrect. The world is dangerous but cricket must and will go on. It was important that England returned to India, but we have to provide the safest possible environment for cricket to be played."

"I know for a fact that post the regime change in Pakistan the advice we got was very different," Lorgat said when asked about the ICC's assessments over the past year. "They were more confident under the previous regime and that's why we were not confident in holding the Champions Trophy in September. There was no threat up until today about any teams being a target." Morgan added that the Sri Lankan authorities would have been aware of the situation.

Morgan said the ICC had not been involved in assessing security for the Sri Lanka series. "The ICC only gets involved in assessing security if there is a disagreement between host and visitor. There was none and we were not asked to intervene."

"All of our assessments were that there were no threats against any sports, or cricket to be specific," Lorgat said. "The basis of gathering our security has changed and we will need to become tighter in how we do that. Once you breach a certain barrier then things change forever,"

Asked about the IPL, Lorgat insisted it was "a domestic event and the BCCI has contracted with players from elsewhere and I have no doubt the players and the member boards to which they belong will be reassessing the situation".

"Once you breach a certain barrier then things change forever," Lorgat said when asked if there could be more attacks targeted at cricketers. "The basis of gathering our security has changed. We will need to become tighter in how we do that."

© Cricinfo

[/tscii:37fd1aa4fa]

ajithfederer
4th March 2009, 06:35 AM
[tscii:5c3e0406a2]http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/current/story/393259.html

Terror in Pakistan

Pakistan braces for mass tour withdrawals

Cricinfo staff

March 3, 2009

Wasim Akram: "How do you expect a foreign team to come to Pakistan now?" © AFP

Pakistan is receiving a depressing insight into the new reality of life after the Lahore terror attacks. New Zealand have categorically ruled out touring Pakistan later this year and Australia are seeking to shift next year's Test series to a neutral venue; the first in what will surely be an avalanche of withdrawals that would effectively render Pakistan an itinerate team.

Cricket Australia revealed it was exploring the option of shifting its three-Test series against Pakistan, scheduled for 2010, to the neutral venue of England. CA has suggested it would still participate in a bi-lateral limited overs series against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates next month, but effectively ruled out touring Pakistan the following year to play Test cricket.

"One option we have discussed with them is playing three Tests in England in mid-2010 or thereabouts after the ODIs we are due to play against England in England," CA spokesman Peter Young told PA. "I understand that England is, in principle, aware of and comfortable with that possibility, subject to details that might develop.

"However, that is a continuing discussion at the moment, I don't think it is possible to predict when the current discussions might be finalised, and I don't think it is possible to predict whether the above outcome or a completely different outcome might eventuate."

Australia, India, New Zealand and the West Indies are among the teams to have postponed or cancelled tours to Pakistan in recent years, and New Zealand will almost certainly call off their scheduled series there in November. The Black Caps experienced first-hand the dangers of touring Pakistan in 2002, when a bomb exploded outside their Karachi hotel, and NZC chief executive Justin Vaughan said the team would not return in the near future.

"We're not going and I think that's pretty clear," Vaughan told Radio New Zealand. "I don't think any international team will be going to Pakistan in the foreseeable future."

Visting teams have experienced brushes with terrorism in the past, but only now, with the Sri Lankans directly targetted by militants, is Pakistan faced with a blanket boycott. Eight dead security personnel and as many injured Sri Lankan squad members demonstrates the extent of deterioration in the security situation, and provoked an anguished reaction from many within international cricket. Certainly, the long-suffering supporters of Pakistan cricket are in for more pain. Deprived of regular cricket for years, Pakistani fans can now be certain that no touring team will cross their borders for years to come. The series against Sri Lanka was cancelled immediately after Tuesday's attacks, and similar announcements regarding other tours are expected in the coming months. Pakistan is also likely to be stripped of its status as co-host of the 2011 World Cup.

As the shock from the Lahore terrorist attacks took hold, international cricket was left to ponder the ramifications of Tuesday's events which, tragically, have dashed the long-held notion that cricket was immune from terror's grasp.

Wasim Akram, the former Pakistan captain, said Pakistan hosting the World Cup in 2011 was now a "distant dream". "How do you expect a foreign team to come to Pakistan now? We took pride in hosting our guests," Akram told ESPN Star. "This image has taken a beating. It's sad for Pakistan."

Waqar Younis, Akram's bowling partner, said the chances of foreign teams coming to Pakistan were now remote. "We have to agree with whatever the ICC decides," he said.

Reg Dickason, the security consultant contracted by the ECB and CA, said he had long feared that terrorists in Pakistan would target cricketers. "A lot of the concerns we raised during the Champions Trophy have unfortunately come home to roost," Dickason told Cricinfo. "The notion of sporting teams being a protected species was held by many, but it was not a view that we shared, unfortunately.

"There were a number of factors we considered, including the global exposure an attack on an international sporting team could have. (Tours of Pakistan) are highly unlikely for the forseeable future given the present environment. How could you go there now? The Australians were supposed to have played there in March. This, unfortunately, is the realisation of many of the things we thought, and it is a terrible way to find out."

Geoff Lawson, who served as Pakistan coach until last October, feared the team would suffer from being cast into a nomadic existence. "Cricket won't be played in Pakistan for the foreseeable future," Lawson said. "Pakistan look like they will become a wandering cricket team now. They will be playing at neutral venues, because you can guarantee that there won't be games there [at home]. Obviously, there is no chance of the Champions Trophy or the World Cup going ahead there."

In a small vote of confidence, CA confirmed its intention to proceed with an ODI series against Pakistan which, due to security concerns, had already been shifted to the United Arab Emirates.

"We do not expect this to affect the series (in the UAE)," Young said. "We are due to complete a security inspection tour at the end of the week, and that is expected to go ahead as planned."

© Cricinfo[/tscii:5c3e0406a2]

Wibha
4th March 2009, 06:47 AM
This is really sad :(

How do they get access to such weapons and details of the cricketer's arrivals and stuff like that?

directhit
4th March 2009, 06:59 AM

immediate implication - IPL will be postponed :? why coz we are the neighbouring country?!!!

ajaybaskar - IPL is not postponed coz of elections, they are rescheduling the match venues so as to not clash with poll locations

Movie Cop
4th March 2009, 07:13 AM
Umpire Ahsan Raza in critical condition

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/pakvsl/content/current/story/393317.html

Too bad that one of the off-fields umpire for Lahore Test is critically injured and the driver of his bus was shot dead! :(
Sorry state of affairs and surely a very sad day in cricket history! :(

directhit
4th March 2009, 07:15 AM
:(

Sourav
4th March 2009, 07:51 AM
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Archive&Source=Page&Skin=TOI&BaseHref=TOICH/2009/03/04&PageLabel=17&ForceGif=true&EntityId=Ar01704&ViewMode=HTML&GZ=T

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Archive&Source=Page&Skin=TOI&BaseHref=TOICH%2F2009%2F03%2F04&ViewMode=GIF&GZ=T&PageLabel=17&EntityId=Ar00102&DataChunk=Ar01702&AppName=1

Wibha
4th March 2009, 09:25 AM
IPL Could be Postponed on Security Fears. (http://in.news.yahoo.com/241/20090304/1257/tnl-ipl-could-be-postponed-on-security-f_1.html)

Sanguine Sridhar
4th March 2009, 10:39 AM
Details of Sri Lankan cricketers injured in gun attack

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2009/mar/03details-of-sl-cricketers-injured.htm

* Mahela Jayawardena - cut to ankle, minor
* Kumar Sangakkara - shrapnel cut to shoulder, minor
* Ajantha Mendis [Images] - shrapnel wound to back, minor
* Tharanga Paranavithana - shrapnel wound to his chest, minor, but went to hospital
* Thilan Samaraweera [Images] - worst injured with what appeared to be a shrapnel wound to his leg. Taken to hospital, but not seriously wounded. :confused2:
* Paul Farbrace (assistant coach) - shrapnel wound to his arm, minor

joe
4th March 2009, 10:39 AM
http://vinavu.wordpress.com/2009/03/04/pak01/

Kalyasi
4th March 2009, 11:47 AM
Pak minister blames India for attack on Lanka team

Islamabad: A Pakistani minister accused India of being behind the attack on Sri Lanka's cricket team in the city of Lahore on Tuesday, saying the attackers had crossed into Pakistan from India.

"The evidence which we have got shows that these terrorists entered from across the border from India," Sardar Nabil Ahmed Gabol, minister of state for shipping, told private Geo television.

"This was a conspiracy to defame Pakistan internationally." "This incident took place in reaction to 26/11," he said referring to the Mumbai attacks in November in which at least 170 people were killed. "It is a declaration of open war on Pakistan by India," said the minister, who is not one of the government's official spokesmen, but belongs to President Asif Ali Zardari's party.

Kalyasi
4th March 2009, 12:06 PM
[tscii:0dd3b38083]'I felt a bullet fizz past my ear'

When you have been through what we have experienced, when you have been targeted by terrorists yourself and been so fortunate to escape, it changes your thinking

Kumar Sangakkara

As I dictate this article we are preparing to fly home. It's been a long day and we can't wait to return home to our families. We were shaken badly, obviously. Pakistan has a reputation for being unstable in the recent past, but we never expected to be caught up in something like this. I am still shocked that a sports team could be targeted in this manner.

We had always felt pretty safe in Pakistan, to be honest. It shows how naïve we were. We realise now that sports people and cricketers are not above being attacked. All the talk that "no one would target cricketers" seems so hollow now. Far from being untouchable, we are now prize targets for extremists. That's an uncomfortable reality we have to come to terms with.

Tuesday started as just another day in Lahore: a morning report to the fitness trainer to check our hydration levels, a quick breakfast and cup of coffee and an 8.30am departure to the ground. We were all looking forward to the third day's play and trying to win the series. Our chief concern was how to wheedle out 19 Pakistan wickets on another true batting pitch.

Our team bus left with three to four police cars in a convoy with around 12 policeman and security officers, including motorbike outriders. Along the route road junctions were cleared and side roads closed to ensure we passed through the traffic easily. It was standard security for teams in this region and we had no worries as we travelled to the stadium.

The bus was full of the normal banter. Players traded stories, mostly about Lahore shopping, and cracked jokes. Others chatted about the cricket and the crucial first session. Then, as we approached the large roundabout before the Gaddafi Stadium, we suddenly heard a noise like a firecracker. The bus came to a halt and some of the guys jumped out of their seats to see what was happening. Then came the shout: "They are shooting at us!"

From the front I heard the screams to "get down, get down" and we all hit the deck. Within seconds we are all sprawled along the floor, lying on top of each other and taking shelter below the seats. The gunfire became louder, we heard explosions (which I understand now were hand grenades) and bullets started to flash through the bus.

I was sitting next to Thilan Samaraweera and close to the young Tharanga Paranavitana. For some reason I moved my head to get a better view and a split second later I felt a bullet fizz past my ear into the vacant seat. Fortunately, as a team, we remained quite calm. No one panicked. After what must have been two minutes standing still, we urged the driver to make a run for the stadium just a few hundred metres away: "Go, go, go" we shouted.

The truth is we owe our lives to the courageous Mohammad Khalil, the driver. I will forever be grateful to him. The tyres of the bus had been shot out and he was in grave personal danger, exposed to gunfire at the front of the bus. But he was hell-bent on getting us to safety and, somehow, he got us moving again. Had Khalil not acted with such courage and presence of mind most of us would have been killed.

Standing still next to the roundabout we were sitting ducks for the 12 gunmen. We only found out afterwards that a rocket launcher just missed us as we began moving and turned for the stadium gates, the rocket blowing up an electricity pylon. Khalil saw a hand grenade tossed at us that failed to explode. Someone must have been looking over us because right now it seems a miracle we survived.

As we moved towards the stadium, Tharanga announced he was hit as he sat up holding his chest. He collapsed onto his seat and I feared the worst. Incredibly, the bullet hit his sternum at such an angle that it did not penetrate. He was fine. Shortly afterwards Thilan complained of a numbness in his leg, which we later found out was a bullet wound.

Thilan and Tharanga were the worst hit. Just before reaching safety I felt a dull ache in my shoulder. Shards of metal, shrapnel, were lodged in the muscle. After being quickly evacuated to the dressing room the paramedics attended to those with minor wounds. My cuts were cleaned. Ajantha Mendis had several shards of metal removed from his head and neck after his hair was shaved off. Paul Farbrace, our assistant coach, had a large piece of shrapnel removed from his arm. Mahela [Jayawardene] had a minor cut to his ankle. After a while we starting to calm down, and the phones started ringing.

When the tour was first announced while we were playing in Bangladesh, we had discussed security concerns with the Sri Lanka cricket board. Our own board had originally asked for a longer tour, asking for two extra ODIs, but we requested a shortened tour, an independent assessment of the security situation, some security guarantees, and proper insurance covering terrorist attacks.

We were promised "Head of State" security and we were satisfied with this. We also wanted to play cricket in Pakistan. Nevertheless, with hindsight, we probably underestimated the security threat. In future, we need to very seriously consider how best to better tackle the issue of security in a new post-Lahore reality. We need to consider a more centralised and independent system for assessing security and a more open sharing of security information, not just between boards but with FICA and the players.

From a Pakistan perspective, it is tragic this has happened. Pakistan is a great country with a strong cricket tradition and very hospitable people. We like playing cricket here, but the presence of a small minority pursuing their own agendas at any cost will surely prevent tours for the foreseeable future. I sincerely hope that a solution can be found with time but assume Pakistan will first need a neutral venue solution for their home games.

Will I go back? When you have been through what we have experienced, when you have been targeted by terrorists yourself and been so fortunate to escape, it changes your thinking. It is a big question which cannot be answered now. I suspect, too, for us it can only be answered as an individual. Our families will never feel the same about us leaving to play in Pakistan. That is sad - for Pakistan and world cricket[/tscii:0dd3b38083]

Movie Cop
4th March 2009, 09:11 PM

Islamabad: A Pakistani minister accused India of being behind the attack on Sri Lanka's cricket team in the city of Lahore on Tuesday, saying the attackers had crossed into Pakistan from India.

"The evidence which we have got shows that these terrorists entered from across the border from India," Sardar Nabil Ahmed Gabol, minister of state for shipping, told private Geo television.
"This was a conspiracy to defame Pakistan internationally." "This incident took place in reaction to 26/11," he said referring to the Mumbai attacks in November in which at least 170 people were killed. "It is a declaration of open war on Pakistan by India," said the minister, who is not one of the government's official spokesmen, but belongs to President Asif Ali Zardari's party.
Innum investigations-ehh full swing-la aarambikallee... adhukulle border crossing, attackers are from India madhiri baseless allegations ellaam? :confused2:
Fakistani Sinister's like Sardar Nabil Ahmed only fossible! :notworthy:

Raghu
4th March 2009, 09:21 PM
BIG deal

Every day 200 tamils are killed, yet none of u r bothered about that, and u guys weep for these jokers who got hurt, rather than worrying for these jokers

for god sake think about the police guys who got killed,

raasa kaksa will now get free weapons from pakistan to slaughter tamils as a good will

what a morons

:

Raghu
4th March 2009, 09:29 PM
every one seems to be so flipin concern about these guys, and no one seems to give a damn about Tamils being slaughtered in SL and every time i post some thing about that, the threads get vanished , what a joke

Raghu
4th March 2009, 09:31 PM
SLA in killing spree in the 'safety zone', 73 killed, 160 wounded
[ Wednesday, 04 March 2009, 10:29.03 AM ] []
Sri Lanka Army fired artillery shells and air attacks by the Sri Lanka Air Force have claimed the lives of at least 73 civilians, most of them inside 'safety zone' on Tuesday in Mullaiththevu district, according to the details from medical and local aid workers in the district. More than 160 civilians have sustained injuries. Around 35 cluster-fitted artillery shells were fired within the last 3 days. 15 cluster shells were fired into civilian areas Tuesday alone. 11 children below age 10 have been killed, 4 in the morning, 5 in the night and one of the two children missing in morning was later identified as the child's mother recovered a fragment of its head. Maaththalan hospital was full of weeping mothers who were begging the doctors to save their wounded children from death. [More]

in what way these cricketing jokers lives are superior than these inocents tamils, TELL ME?????

Raghu
4th March 2009, 09:32 PM
ithuku special thread vera?

Raghu
4th March 2009, 09:40 PM
READ THESE!!!!

STF Commandos kill mother of raped girl in Batticaloa
[ Tuesday, 03 March 2009, 12:59.00 PM GMT +05:30 ]
Special Task Force (STF) commandos who had sexually assaulted a 14-year-old Tamil girl Sunday in Vellaaveli police division, again went to the girls house Monday between 8:00 p.m and 9:00 p.m where they assaulted her father first and then severely tortured her mother before killing and dumping her body in the well as punishment for complaining against the STF with Batticaloa police for raping her daughter. The father was held bound while the commandos beat the mother to death, the neighbors said.
Vellaaveli police recovered the body of the mother with the help of neighbors and handed it over to Kaluvaangnchchikudi hospital.

The mother of the raped girl had earlier complained of the incident to Eastern Province Chief Minister, Sivanesathurai Chandrakanthan alias Pillayan.

The Chief Minister had reportedly said that he had no authority on security affairs directing her to take the matter to Vinayagamoorthy Muralitahran alias Karuna, member of parliament.

Special Task Force (STF) commandos in Vellaaveli police division in Batticaloa sexually abused a 14-year-old Tamil girl in front of her mother during a cordon and search conducted Sunday early morning in Vallaaveli, sources. The medical officer who examined the girl admitted to Batticaloa Teaching Hospital confirmed that she had been sexually abused.

The STF commandos, having ordered all the men in the area to go to a temple, interrogated the women who were left alone in the houses collecting particulars about members of the family besides sexually abusing them.

ThalaNass
4th March 2009, 11:15 PM
Raghu, I can understand ur feeling!

My condolences to the family of tamizh peoples and pakistani policemen and driver who were killed :(

ThalaNass
4th March 2009, 11:17 PM
I dunt think this was done by pakistani terrorists.. they wont get anything by killing sl players!! Hmmmmm

joe
5th March 2009, 07:09 AM
I dunt think this was done by pakistani terrorists.. they wont get anything by killing sl players!! Hmmmmm

Really? :roll: I thought they wanted to show that Pakistan Govt is not capable of protecting their guests (even Sportsmen) ..we are able to do anything if Govt is not supportive of us .

Btw,ennada SL govt ithuvarai sollaliye-nnu paarthen ..sollittanga.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/413158/1/.html
Sri Lanka not ruling out Tamil Tigers' role in Lahore attacks

sgokulprathap
5th March 2009, 09:17 AM

"This was a conspiracy to defame Pakistan internationally." "This incident took place in reaction to 26/11," he said referring to the Mumbai attacks in November in which at least 170 people were killed. "It is a declaration of open war on Pakistan by India," said the minister, who is not one of the government's official spokesmen, but belongs to President Asif Ali Zardari's party. ivaruthaan koottitu vandha maadhiri solraaru.

Sanguine Sridhar
5th March 2009, 10:04 AM
Reason behind this thread - I guess this is sports section and 6 injured are cricketers.
Don't we have seperate thread for Thamizh eezham @ Misc section? :arrow:

Movie Cop
5th March 2009, 11:23 AM

"This was a conspiracy to defame Pakistan internationally." "This incident took place in reaction to 26/11," he said referring to the Mumbai attacks in November in which at least 170 people were killed. "It is a declaration of open war on Pakistan by India," said the minister, who is not one of the government's official spokesmen, but belongs to President Asif Ali Zardari's party. ivaruthaan koottitu vandha maadhiri solraaru.
:exactly: :rotfl: :rotfl2:

Movie Cop
5th March 2009, 11:26 AM
Murali questions security lapse

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/pakvsl/content/current/story/393431.html

Raghu
5th March 2009, 11:11 PM

Really? :roll: I thought they wanted to show that Pakistan Govt is not capable of protecting their guests (even Sportsmen) ..we are able to do anything if Govt is not supportive of us .

Btw,ennada SL govt ithuvarai sollaliye-nnu paarthen ..sollittanga.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/413158/1/.html
Sri Lanka not ruling out Tamil Tigers' role in Lahore attacks

:rotfl2:

Saruya sonenga Joe anNe

Ratchasa paksa sariyaana caamedy paithiyakaran

WE(LTTE) dont do caamedy childish acts like this.chumma ulaga anuthaapam pera intha paithiyum summa pulumbuthu :rotfl:

P_R
5th March 2009, 11:55 PM
Folks, further discussions can continue in the Misc. topics forum

MrIndia
6th March 2009, 02:17 AM

:exactly: :rotfl: :rotfl2:

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/pak-rules-out-indias-hand-in-lahore-attack/86924-2.html

unless any outfit takes any respobsibility.. we wont be able to find out who actually did it :banghead:

Movie Cop
6th March 2009, 09:44 AM
Fallout of the Lahore attack
Butt accuses Broad of lies over lax security

http://content.cricinfo.com/pakvsl/content/current/story/393513.html

The war of words begins! :(

ajithfederer
6th March 2009, 11:05 AM
[tscii:72bf5764c0]http://content.cricinfo.com/pakvsl/content/current/story/393451.html

Fallout of the Lahore attack

Kill cricket, create terrorists, warns Younis

Alex Brown

March 4, 2009

Younis Khan has warned that, without cricket, extremism in Pakistan will grow © AFP

Younis Khan has appealed to cricket's administrators to save the game in Pakistan, or risk pushing future generations into the clutches of terrorists. The Pakistan captain fears that an extended boycott by touring teams could lead to a dramatic decline in interest and participation in cricket among the nation's youth. That, in turn, could invite corrupting influences to fill the void that might otherwise have been occupied by sport, Younis argued.

"Our future as a nation is in our youngsters' hands," Younis told Cricinfo. "Sport helps to make good human beings. If the sport is not there, the children can do silly things. We have to be very careful about that. Nobody wants to see children going down a bad path and finding themselves involved with bombs and things like that. We all must do something to stop that happening.

"Maybe in the future we will be alone [as a cricketing nation] and that would be very sad, especially for the youngsters. When I was a boy, I loved watching Imran Khan, Javed Miandad and Wasim Akram playing against great teams from overseas. It is because of them - seeing them play - that I also played the game. But what if no one comes to Pakistan? How will the youngsters know about the game? What will they do?

"I appeal for all the bosses and the ICC not let cricket die here. They must think about all the factors, including what will become of the youngsters of Pakistan. It would be very easy right now for the ICC and the bosses to say there will be no cricket in Pakistan. But the future will not be good if cricket is taken away from my country."

Younis, and his entire team, remain shocked and saddened at the attack on the Sri Lankan team and ICC officials in the shadows of the Gaddafi Stadium. He was just six days removed from completing a career-best innings of 313 - the third-highest total recorded by a Pakistani batsman in the team's 57-year history - and had been buoyant at the prospect of again locking horns with Sri Lanka on a more sporting Lahore pitch.

But in 30 terrifying minutes on Tuesday, everything changed. The attack on the Sri Lankan and ICC buses, which left eight security and transportation personnel dead, will almost certainly ensure a blanket boycott by touring teams for the foreseeable future, and force the Pakistani team into a nomadic existence.

Our future as a nation is in our youngsters' hands. Sport helps to make good human beings. If the sport is not there, the children can do silly things - Younis Khan issues a warning about Pakistan's future

Younis expressed concern that, should Pakistan be denied the opportunity of hosting matches in the long-term, players could abandon the national team in search of career opportunities in Indian Twenty20 leagues or county cricket.

"I have seen a lot in my career," he said. "At the last World Cup, Bob Woolmer died and that was a terrible thing. Then, just after I had been made the captain, we have this shocking attack. This is a very bad time in Pakistan. It feels that every day we go backwards, not forwards. We have not experienced anything like this before.

"If something is not done quickly, maybe everyone goes to the IPL, ICL or county cricket. I hope that does not happen. It is up to the ICC and the bosses from around the world to make sure that cricket is not lost in Pakistan because of a couple of mad people. It is not the sportsmen's fault.

"I met with the Sri Lankan team before they flew home and had dinner with them. They were very sad about what was happening to cricket. Cricket is suffering. Sport is one of the only things that brings countries closer and now, because of a few idiots - people who use guns and bombs are not human - no one might come here and we could be all alone."

Younis pledged his loyalty to the Pakistan team for the entirety of his career, but admitted to sadness at the prospect of leading his country in neutral venues - possibly England, which has emerged as a potential host on account of a large ex-pat Pakistani community.

"I will stand by this team," he said. "I love my team and my nation. I have played the last ten years for Pakistan, and I probably have another three or four to go. I want to give those years to the Pakistan team.

"I would love to play Australia in Pakistan, but that is difficult. It will be a new experience for me as captain leading my team in a home game against Australia in England. I will look at it two ways - I will be sad because my home series is in England, but also excited to play on the good pitches of England against a very good Australian team.

"The Pakistani nation loves sports, and especially cricket. The crowds are big everywhere. They love coming to see all the great teams from England, Australia, India, Sri Lanka. The problem had already started with Australia and India not playing here, but now it is much worse, and we don't know if anyone will come here to play us."

Alex Brown is deputy editor of Cricinfo

© Cricinfo[/tscii:72bf5764c0]

Movie Cop
10th March 2009, 01:53 AM
Butt expects tours to Pakistan in 'six to nine months'
Cricinfo staff
March 9, 2009

http://content.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/current/story/394365.html

Excerpt: A week after terrorists attacked the Sri Lankan team in Lahore, Ijaz Butt, the PCB chairman, has said that he expects teams to tour Pakistan in "six to nine months". He was also confident that Pakistan would remain a co-host of the 2011 World Cup. "I'd expect tours to start again as soon as possible. I'd give it six to nine months," Butt told BBC Radio 5 Live. "I definitely think that we will stage part of the World Cup in 2011."

:rotfl: :rotfl2: Fakistani cricket board chief, Isas Butt, only fossible! :notworthy:

ajithfederer
10th March 2009, 02:07 AM
:lol:

Tourkku appuram enna SAARC maanadaa?