PDA

View Full Version : Balki's PA Launched

kameshratnam
3rd March 2009, 02:43 PM
Who else than the BIG B can write about PA...Read it from here and post all the news here
http://bigb.bigadda.com/page/2/

csramasami
9th October 2009, 11:57 AM
After somebody gave the link of bigadda for PAA, here in the tfmpage, I am following Big-B's page regularly for updates on PAA.

Today's message is indicating the culmination of those tirelss efforts of Balki and his unit. With Amithab informing seeing the full film and also express his philosophical views.

I have also, as usual, recorded my request for AB's views on IR and PAA's music (at comment # 176)

Just thought of updating our friends here.

http://bigb.bigadda.com/?p=3857#comment-660878

Regards

CSR

raagas
26th October 2009, 02:57 PM
This one should be out anytime in November. I think the next IR audio release would be this one.

csramasami
29th October 2009, 12:23 PM
[tscii:f3470cb930]For recordsake, I am repeating the link provided by Mr Satish in the other thread:

Quote :

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/30/2009102920091029021624843d0ee75ae/Music-magic.html

We bet you’ve never heard anything like this before. Literally. On Tuesday, Amitabh Bachchan recorded the title song for Balki’s Paa in the voice of a 12-year-old and that too without the help of technology.

Music director Aadesh Shrivastava says, “I thought I would initially record the song in Amitji’s normal voice and later use technological enhancement and modify it to make it sound like a child’s. However, Amitji was firm that I wouldn’t have to do anything of that sort and that he will sing in a child’s voice without any help. He went on to do just that.”

Aadesh, who handled the daunting task of recording music maestro Ilaiyaraaja’s tune in Amitabh’s voice, adds, “It is originally a tune created by Raja sir (Ilaiyaraaja). Normally, I’d never even dream of touching his tunes but I have worked as a drummer for him on Sadma (1983) and he sent this song from Chennai for Amitji to sing it in Mumbai.”

Aadesh predicts that the song will be an instant hit with children. “Amitabh does not sound like a grown-up man imitating a child. Don’t ask me how he has managed to do it. I just sat there stunned.”

Un Quote[/tscii:f3470cb930]

AravindMano
31st October 2009, 09:10 AM
Just saw the trailer of Paa. Very simple, very cool. The images stay with you. AB as a 13-yr old. Hope the film's better than Cheeni Kum.

Trailer goes on air on 6th I'm told.

csramasami
1st November 2009, 01:58 PM
A fantastic start has been made !

Seeing sorry Listening is believing !

www.paathefilm.com

Enjoy !

:swinghead:

:2thumbsup:

Regards

CSR

krish244
1st November 2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks CSRamasami!

Okay...heard the main theme before, but cannot recollect where. Is it I24h or nandalala?

The prelude portion for the main theme is nicely done.

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
1st November 2009, 09:58 PM
Or does it come in Pandavaas movie!

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
1st November 2009, 10:22 PM
Now, after reading about this tune in the other thread...i realise that the main theme is from kaattu vazhi song from AOKK movie.

thanks,

Krishnan

raagas
2nd November 2009, 01:31 PM
Ok, the website now says more clues on 4th Nov.I wonder when is the audio releasing?

raagas
2nd November 2009, 11:50 PM
Shreya Ghoshal did not sing any song for the film "Paa".

Courtesy: Shreya Ghoshal, on twitter.

Disappointed :(

csramasami
3rd November 2009, 11:06 AM
[tscii:93e7d5c4c4]Nothing about music. But, as we regularly pray for a Hindi commerciallly successful movie for IR, this is quite encouraging initial reactions as given below by AB: :cool2:

DAY 560

Posted on: November 3, 2009 - 12:25 am
Prateeksha, Mumbai November 2, 2009 Mon 11 : 23 PM

And then it was back to PAA and its dubbing.

For most of the remaining day, valuable discussions on the marketing of the film PAA and how it needs to be promoted prevailed. The official look shall be released on the 4th by an unveiling of the final poster and then the first promo shall be up on the blog on the 5th. The channels shall be carrying it from the 6th.

As the final day of release approaches, the labor and extent of hard work gone into the film whizzes by. Those arduous 5 hour make up sessions and the difficult hours before and after it seem distant now but carry all the memories of the work done and undertaken.

I wonder if it is prudent to put down what the initial results from the promo have revealed. There is a sense of wonder and awe. There is disbelief and there is love and emotion.

Balki, the director showed the promo to Yash Chopra and he promptly called back, to say he could not believe what he was seeing. It was stupendous he said.

A short while ago Adi Chopra has sent me a message delighted with the promo he saw too and has been calling up Abhishek to express what he believes will be a landmark film. He felt cinema bench marks would be set again and that the film even before he could see a single frame had suggested to him of its huge box office prospects.

I must retire … but I wish to leave you with two of the sms I received today -

‘Today you brought tears of joy and happiness to my eyes. Today you inspired me. Today you made me realize that you never stop dreaming. Today you made me remember why we go to the cinema. Today I saw the promo of PAA. It has left such an impact on me that I have yet to stop thinking about it. I knew about the script but I never thought it could be pulled off. Today you proved me wrong. Today you touched me. Today the way i heard you say PAA still rings in my ear. Today I feel like calling my Dad … Paa. Thank you for this.’

‘Uncle Balki showed me the promo of Paa, it was outstanding and it looks like once again you are going to set a new benchmark - all the best, uncle.’

Till the morrow then …

Amitabh Bachchan
[/tscii:93e7d5c4c4]
unquote

teja
4th November 2009, 12:48 PM
PAA : Full Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MKJSWhkrvc

csramasami
4th November 2009, 05:48 PM
Read It here. AB thanks all the crew including IR

http://bigb.bigadda.com/?p=4009#

csramasami
4th November 2009, 06:19 PM
From AB's blog

"Seeing the first promo has been an emotional moment for me and also for many that see it.

There is something about the music, the feel that immediately gets your hair on end and tears begin to well up.

For AB Corp it is an important day from the days of survival and bankruptcy to this. For Abhishek it is an important moment to have taken on the responsibility of managing the production and the entire making as a Producer. For Balki it is a moment of fulfillment from the day he came up with this idea and today to see it fructify. For each and every member of the crew, the camera department, the lighting, the spot boys, the light men, assistants and all the marketing and promotional personnel from Reliance, it has been a very dedicated labor of love. It has been the belief of all these people in a project which when heard did not seem achievable. But they have done it and credit goes to them all. They are the true heroes of the film and today I salute them for making it happen.

For the colleagues and artists involved, what can I say. Paresh and Vidya and Abhishek. The kids and friends of Auro. The supporting cast. The genius of Illairaja. The genius of PC sir our DOP. Every single person has worked on this project as though they owned it.

My love and extreme gratitude to them. This labor of love shall never go unrewarded ..

Thank you all .. from me .. from AB Corp

Amitabh Bachchan

Unquote

sivasub
4th November 2009, 09:32 PM
There are 6 songs in the movie

Mudhi mudhi ittefaq se - Shilpa Rao
Halke se bole - Various
Udhi udhi ittefaq se - Shilpa Rao
Hichki Hichki - Sunidhi Chauhan
Gali mudhi ittefaq se - Shaan
Gumm summ gumm - Various

Where is the song sung by AB?

app_engine
4th November 2009, 09:46 PM
sivasub,

As per that website, that seems to be the 7th song (pA song by AB in the bottom of the list)

irir123
4th November 2009, 11:14 PM
from the site - Director's note : "PAA is a tribute to possibly the greatest actor that Indian cinema has ever produced" :roll: :shock: :rotfl3:

AravindMano
5th November 2009, 09:34 AM
Shilpa Rao 'un sirippinil' from PachakkiLi muththuchcharam paadinavanga dhaane?

jaiganes
5th November 2009, 11:40 AM
Shilpa Rao 'un sirippinil' from PachakkiLi muththuchcharam paadinavanga dhaane?
devD l kooda paadi irukkaango

Sanjeevi
5th November 2009, 04:06 PM
as usual thatstamil

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2009/11/05-big-b-plays-the-role-abhishek-son.html

thatstamil-ku oru O podunga

app_engine
5th November 2009, 07:49 PM
'சீனி கும்'

:lol:

"கம்மி"யை ஏன் இப்படிக்கும்முறாங்க? :-)

Bala (Karthik)
6th November 2009, 07:17 PM
:rotfl2: summa "Gumm"nu irukku paarunga title

Sureshs65
6th November 2009, 08:28 PM
Balki talks about Raja and the background score:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7IoGRHW89s

raagas
6th November 2009, 10:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrOcSTg5XsY

Mudee Mudee song from Paa. It doesnt sound like a rehash. it sounds so damn modern and youthful. Cant believe IR composed it. Lookslike he beats his age... taking inspiration from AB :)

Plum
6th November 2009, 11:08 PM
From the song list, looks like 3 songs will have same tune :roll:

AravindMano
8th November 2009, 03:27 PM
Not a very fresh tune, but exciting nevertheless. Hindi & Raja naale i automatically think of Shreya Ghoshal, so a different voice naturally adds some freshness methinks.

AravindMano
9th November 2009, 09:46 AM
The response to the trailer's music is great. Could see a lot of people appreciating it in Twitter, Orkut, Big B's blog.

Dragun
10th November 2009, 11:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrOcSTg5XsY

Mudee Mudee song from Paa. It doesnt sound like a rehash. it sounds so damn modern and youthful. Cant believe IR composed it. Lookslike he beats his age... taking inspiration from AB :)

Reminds me of Ninnukori Varnam. Both are in Mohanam ragam, no?

rajasaranam
10th November 2009, 06:39 PM
AdMan Balki is doing is work with utmost professionalism:
http://www.afaqs.com/perl/media/story.html?sid=25437

raagas
10th November 2009, 07:28 PM
Paa music to be out on Nov 14th (Children's Day), instead of Nov 12th - Abhishek Bacchan on Twitter.

AravindMano
11th November 2009, 05:26 PM
Abhishek says 'most probably', so i think it might get delayed. More over, the site, which had some updates even today, still says the audio release is tomorrow.

krish244
11th November 2009, 06:23 PM
This site says, its getting relased on 14th of this month:

http://www.radioandmusic.com/content/editorial/news/t-series-lines-hi-profile-releases-november

"The label also has the music rights for Amitabh-Abhishek Bachchan starer 'Paa' the music for which is releasing on 14 November - Children's Day. The music for the film is composed by Ilayaraja"

thanks,

Krishnan

raagas
12th November 2009, 02:47 PM
A song Gum Sum from this film is rehash of "Thumbi Vaa".

AravindMano
13th November 2009, 09:37 AM
Its confirmed that the other song is 'Puththam pudhu kaalai'. In today's TOI interview (trying to find the online link), he says two songs are rehash (Thumbi Vaa and Puththam pudhu kaalai) annd there are four new tunes. (Idhu gapsaa, 'Mudi mudi' has three versions. Adha dhaan solraaru nu ninaikren.) So there are two more songs left, Hichchki Hichchki and Paa. One of them is fresh and the other is puththam pudhu kaalai.

fan_ir
13th November 2009, 10:08 AM
Longer version of Mudi Mudi promo song. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZPzePz-M4&feature=related

It looks damn fresh!!

SVN
13th November 2009, 11:39 AM
The interlude of Mudi nudi is awesome. Great singing by Shilpa Rao too.

Bala (Karthik)
13th November 2009, 02:18 PM
Longer version of Mudi Mudi promo song. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZPzePz-M4&feature=related

It looks damn fresh!!
:ty: :cool2: :bluejump:
This is the freshest Raaja i'm seeing after Mumbai Xpress. The audio quality in the video is not all that great. Can't wait to hear the first lude in better audio quality. Lovely strings (sounds like double bass plucking there(?), followed by slap bass and electric guitar), short interlude but awesome nevertheless.
However what freaks me out is the charanam. I was complaining about deja vu patterns, the missing surprises and moments, predictable ludes, tune and arrangements in Raaja's recent works, especially melodies. This one song hits every single criticism out of the park. This is a home run alright :notworthy:

And the ad man sensibilities of Balki show up in the picturization. Visually very pleasing and captures the mood of the song very well. Indha paatta vettaama muzhusa padathula oda vittainga-na Cheeni Kum la Kummiya kedaicha recognition Raaja ku idhula kandippa kedaikkum enbadhu en nambikkai.

P.S: On the flip side, the awesomeness of this song ushers the doubts about complexity for North Indies back in to my mind

Sureshs65
13th November 2009, 04:21 PM
The redone Thumbi Vaa song, 'Gumsum' here:

http://ishare.rediff.com/video/entertainment/exclusive-gumsum-new-song-from-amitabh-s-paa/865986

krish244
13th November 2009, 06:03 PM
The interlude is simple and modern sounding (the guitar starts like a sax), including the bass lines that start along with the charanams. Looking forward to hear this song in good quality.

thanks,

Krishnan

csramasami
13th November 2009, 06:16 PM
My guess is seeing different wordings in 3 different pieces, this song (mudi mudi) may be distributed in three different moods including pathos version. :roll:

Another feeling I get from the jerky visuals is that for the purpose of promo Balki might have given scenes to IR for BGM, which IR might have given as a Song instantly. :think:

csramasami
14th November 2009, 02:22 PM
[tscii:719f6d33ef]
http://blog.taragana.com/e/2009/11/14/composer-ilaiyaaraja-cancels-music-release-of-paa-60583/

Composer Ilaiyaaraja cancels music release of ‘Paa’

By Subhash K. Jha, IANS
November 14th, 2009

MUMBAI - The music event of upcoming movie “Paa” that was scheduled for Children’s Day Saturday here was cancelled, thanks to workaholic composer Ilaiyaaraja who is not ready to break his “creative process to attend the function”.

Now, the sound tracks will hit the outlets Sunday without any formal release.

“We had planned a formal music launch on Children’s Day in Mumbai. But Raja sir is busy doing the background score for ‘Paa’. In fact I’m with him right now.

He says there’s no way he would break his creative process to attend the function. We all respect his wishes. We’ve cancelled the formal music release,” director Balki says.

The music event was to be attended by Bollywood actresses Vidya Balan, Abhishek Bachchan, Balki and Ilaiyaaraja, who is currently in Chennai.

For Children’s Day, Balki will release a number of messages from Big B in the voice of Auro for kids all over the world. In “Paa”, Amitabh Bachchan plays the character of Auro, who has a rare genetic defect that causes accelerated ageing.

Balki said Amitabh won’t appear in person for any of the promotional activities of “Paa”.

“We’ll only be hearing him talk about the film in the voice of Auro in all the campaigns. He won’t be seen in person anywhere,” the director said.
[/tscii:719f6d33ef]

fan_ir
14th November 2009, 04:26 PM
Full Length songs

http://www.in.com/music/album-paa-67429.html

Enjoy :D

SVN
14th November 2009, 05:54 PM
fan_ir, now that you have given them the complete songs from a streaming site, you will have many tfm DFers posting their reviews of the album (as if they have bought the CDs) and complaining about the sound quality ;)

csramasami
16th November 2009, 04:09 PM
[tscii:3ea76b8643]Question: You always work with the maestro Ilayaraja, tell us one quirk of his?

Balki: His only quirk is music. Or you can say that he is a child without progeria.

In Paa, I was dealing with two 67-years-old who have such childlike enthusiasm for their craft that it refreshed me.

Ilayaraja is a fascinating guy. He’s been an inspiration since my childhood. I would like to have his music in all my films.

See the detailed interview here:

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/the-makeup-was-the-difficult-part/541399/0
[/tscii:3ea76b8643]

Bala (Karthik)
16th November 2009, 04:29 PM
[tscii:80f69ea16b]Question: You always work with the maestro Ilayaraja, tell us one quirk of his?

Balki: His only quirk is music. Or you can say that he is a child without progeria.

In Paa, I was dealing with two 67-years-old who have such childlike enthusiasm for their craft that it refreshed me.

Ilayaraja is a fascinating guy. He’s been an inspiration since my childhood. I would like to have his music in all my films.

See the detailed interview here:

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/the-makeup-was-the-difficult-part/541399/0
[/tscii:80f69ea16b]
:notworthy:

Plum
16th November 2009, 04:31 PM
sandhadi sAkkula pachan-Oda equate paNNinadhu dhAn :evil:

irir123
16th November 2009, 07:06 PM

adhey adhey!

Sureshs65
16th November 2009, 11:09 PM

Producer vishwasam!!! May compare their fame, not their craft. :rant:

app_engine
17th November 2009, 12:02 AM
Producer vishwasam!!! May compare their fame, not their craft. :rant:

Also, from what's quoted, he apparently talks about "childlike enthu at 67" (and not necessarily comparing the mastery in their respective fields).

Whether we have great admiration for the talents of AB or not, it has to be acknowledged that he does far more work than any of TFM's heroes (some whom he can have as grand children). Also, the kwality of the work of most heroes isn't much greater either :-)

If one goes by UPO, I think even KH has recognized that fast output (even if limited kind of role) is the way to go, rather than toiling for two years still unsure of the returns :-)

K
17th November 2009, 03:36 AM
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IZQPSGBO Paa................

csramasami
17th November 2009, 12:24 PM
Big B Writes today:

Quote:

And Balki now as he does the finals in Chennai, wishes that I drop by for a day to have a final look at the background and the mix, before it all goes into print. This is the stage when the film according to me is actually made. It is the crucial manner in which one shall bring all to a front that shall determine where the fortunes of the film lie. It is these moments that can lift the film to excellence or at times destroy it beyond repair.

Our fate now lies in the hands of technicians. No labor of make up or performance or writing and execution shall prevail until those committed hands play their cards to perfection.

UnQuote

Sureshs65
17th November 2009, 01:14 PM
app_eng,

What you say about 'enthu' makes sense.

raagas
17th November 2009, 01:54 PM
Ok, here is my take on this album:

1. Mudi Mudi/Udi Udi: Abolutely phenomenal mohana.I love the way he used jazz-trap kit and guitars.It is difficult to imagine that a 66yr old man is up to such kind of music. But then, he has been there.. done that all :) beautiful rendition too. Wonderful chords change. Its an IR song all the way.

2. Gum Sum: The problem with this song is its hummability quotient being phenomenally high.I felt the percussions ate away that beautiful bassline. Strings accompaniment is there,but still.the 2nd is imaginative,but i felt it was little out of place, from the overall kaapi melody this song has in each and everyline. as a standalone piece, it is phenomenal,but in between this song, somehow it doesn't work for me.Like i said before,this song cannot better his instrumental version. thats the best.

3. Hichki Hichki: The song is in keeravani scale, in which IR belted out countless numbers.Hence, we find it little southie.I dont trust my own judgement here because i am little biased towards keeravani. I need to play it out to any Hindi speaking guy and ask his opinion.But its funky. Beautiful synth. The 2nd inlterlude surprised me. Ilaiyaraaja revisited the thillanas of interlude in "Idhu Orku Nila Kaalam" from Tik Tik Tik and transforms it into the theme of Paa.Thats genius. also, this song has some brilliant bass work, although on synth. The rhythm is peculiar for sure,but somewhere i felt its too synth programmed.I mean,how would it be if it had a combo of tabla and synth-pads?just a thought.

4. Gali Mudi: Shaan's version is good. with nice string orchestral touch. he sounds good when he sings "Kyon Main Mudaa thaa".

5. Halke se Bole: The original is such a beautiful song.I dont know why they put a small teaser. why not the whole song. And infact, instead of chorus, shreya Ghoshal might have done wonderful job if a complete song was given to her.Disappointment.

6. Meri Paa: AB surprises for sure.the spontaneity he shows while singing, like "full lights on" or "just take your hand no" is amazing.I think ilaiyaraaja has less contribution in this song, given there is hardly any change compared to Katru Vizhi.

7. Paa remix: Its like what anybody would do.Take a tune and replay it over and over.nothing great.

Overall,the album has its highpoints and lowpoints too. highpoints being Mudi Mudi, guitar work,drum work, bass,hichki hichki's funkiness etc. Low points are dominance of percussion in Gumsum and the very selection of Thumbi Vaa for rehashing it again.To me,i feel like calling it a Remix, given the dominance of percussions.

Its a decent album and definitely not a bad album.But then,not bad is not good enough, especially given the fact that IR has everything at his disposal-Good director,good production values,wonderful singers and scope of visibility.if only he choose to come up with totally new numbers like Mudi Mudi so that Hindi speaking people understand his genius.

I am enjoying the album anyway.but i am not sure if i would enjoy literally every song 1-2 yrs from now. Mudi Mudi will stay on for sure.Others, i am not that sure.and that is what i mean by lowpoints of the album.

Bala (Karthik)
17th November 2009, 02:48 PM
Its a decent album and definitely not a bad album.But then,not bad is not good enough, especially given the fact that IR has everything at his disposal-Good director,good production values,wonderful singers and scope of visibility.if only he choose to come up with totally new numbers like Mudi Mudi so that Hindi speaking people understand his genius.
Well articulated. What a chance. I mean for me, at this stage, more important than me enjoying the songs, i want the numbers to get good air time and/or reach, like regular Hindi albums. "He doesn't need that", "He doesn't have anything left to prove", "he doesn't look for that" we may very well say these in defense but he may not need it and but WE do! IMO the bottom line is i'm afraid this is a golden chance missed. However, raagas, as for the song list, it would have been more of Balki's choice. Balki could have very well got 5 other Mudi Mudi's from Raaja

raagas
17th November 2009, 03:46 PM
But all said and done.. I must say... It is phenomenal that a 66yr old composer comes up with a zingy score such as Paa. I have few reservations about few songs, but thats because I have seen him do far far far better work and want him to do all that, for a different audience now. Yet, this score has so many brilliant ideas. His sense of execution is amazing. And that too, with 15 other films in the same year. Boss! No composer is a prolific as he is. Period.

Bala (Karthik)
17th November 2009, 03:47 PM
Yes, that's exactly what i've been saying.

raagas
17th November 2009, 04:09 PM
Rediff gives positive music review.

http://movies.rediff.com/review/2009/nov/17/music-review-paa.htm

"Ilaiyaraaja is back in Bollywood with Paa, and he brings with him his distinctive sensibility and flourish. The perfect communion of Carnatic and western music -- notably jazz -- the fat grooves with bold keyboard, guitar and bass lines and a minimalist arrangement, it is a sound we rarely get to hear in this part of the world."

"The music of Paa is artistic and different with the lyrical and musical mastery amply evident."

Sureshs65
17th November 2009, 04:31 PM
raagas,

Well articulated views. As Bala says I am sure there is Balki's hand in song selection. If he wanted he would have asked Raja to tune a totally different song instead of 'gum sum'.

The only thing I don't agree is about the 'Paa' song. To me the whole song, the way Amitabh is made to sing, the simple tune, everything is handcrafted by Raja. As the news earlier said, Raja had personally sung this song as a track and it was sent to Amitabh. The whole movement of the song here is designed by Raja. Though it draws upon the AOKK song, the differences which song what it is, is clearly Raja.

raagas
17th November 2009, 04:51 PM
Suresh,

By saying 'less contribution', i meant adding the 'newness'. GumSum song is also a rehash, but Ilaiyaraaja changed the interludes, percussions etc.So,although it is a recycled song,it has new elements inside it,in the form of rhythms,interludes etc.
So, on that count,Mere Paa did not have much work for ilaiyaraaja, because interlude is the same tune from AOKK and tune of the song is same as AOKK song.On that basis, i think IR's contribution to the song is 'minimal', compared to other songs.

krish244
17th November 2009, 04:56 PM
Another very positive review.

http://buzz18.in.com/reviews/music/music-review-paa-is-melodious/169272/0

For all the appreciation, it gets 3/5. I am thinking if the fewer number of tunes (one song repeated two more times) and the length of the tunes are deciding the ratings.

BTW, just a thought. Had IR had done the theme music himself (instead of letting it to be remixed), he would have brought a whole new dimension to it. Look how almost everyone likes all three version of "mudi mudi" song.

thanks,

Krishnan

Bala (Karthik)
17th November 2009, 05:03 PM
Another very positive review.

http://buzz18.in.com/reviews/music/music-review-paa-is-melodious/169272/0

That old connection is very evident in the sound of Paa. There is a dominant Rahmansque tone to the first track Udhi Udhi. The use of violin, piano and percussion bring back old memories of Roja.

Gumm Summ ... The violin is once again the predominant instrument
:roll:

raagas
17th November 2009, 05:07 PM
Could be true Krish... Mudi Mudi, despite being phenomenal, appears thrice. so, it could be the reason. Thats why.. it would have been great if album had 6 totally new songs or even if they had to be recycled tunes(excluding gumsum,i still feel gumsum should not have been used, coz we have heard it lot of times), if they are there without repeats and remixes, it would have added weight to the album.

tvsankar
17th November 2009, 06:03 PM
HIchki Hichki

Indha paatu dhan kaetadhum enani impress seidhadhu.

Enaku HIndi theiryadhu.

MUsic has no language - IR dhan solla vaikarar.

Beat - very nice

Lady's song - anything from IR - It must be great..

This song is also in this list....

Interludes naduvil varum - Kaatu vazhi tune

Wat a modification...

Jerk illamal match agum Azhagu...

IR is the King of Mood and Situtaion..

This time also he proved HIM with HIS
Extraordinary Tunes......

tvsankar
17th November 2009, 06:08 PM
Could be true Krish... Mudi Mudi, despite being phenomenal, appears thrice. so, it could be the reason. Thats why.. it would have been great if album had 6 totally new songs or even if they had to be recycled tunes(excluding gumsum,i still feel gumsum should not have been used, coz we have heard it lot of times), if they are there without repeats and remixes, it would have added weight to the album.

raagas,
one point about IR's retunes..

Ardent fans only listened All his songs..

IR songs theriyadhavanga dhan neraiya - indha ulagil...

SAme tune - has a different Moods and Situations... This is our IR's Special..

Indha IR ai naama purinjukalaiya na vera yar purinjuka mudiyum???/

Plum
17th November 2009, 06:19 PM
Yes, thumbi vaa tune theriyAdha ennOda vayadhotha sagAkkaL neraiya pEr irukkAnga. I mean, there are guys who got to know of that tune from the Jaya TV concert. These are infact 'IR fans'. To put it in another way, I have a whole lot of acquaintances who are 'IR Fans' but
1) Know only his Telugu songs
2)Or, only his Malayalam songs and some tamil songs
3) Only his tamil output - major hits - I mean, Andhi Mazhai Pozhigiradhu is great so IR is great without even knowing much else abou thim.
4) Kannada and some tamil output
5) Tamil output and the biggie Hindi ones - so they'll know about Cheeni Kum(because the tunes are recycled and Bachan is involved) but not Shiva 2006
Many of the above categories know about Thiruvasagam and Jaya TV Concert(but not Italy concert)

Only in HUB do I see IR fans who freely float and hear all 4 languages AND Hindi. Which is why I love to come here - because I cannot find such a bunch that takes after my own way of following IR anywhere else.

raagas
17th November 2009, 07:32 PM
http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/2009/11/mudhi-mudhi.html

Mudi Mudi song, explained and unusual chords, demonstrated.Things that held me in awe, are laid out for open understanding, in this video.Violin vicky again. amazing guy!

Sureshs65
17th November 2009, 08:27 PM
Slightly off the track here. We have already discussed a lot about the retune of 'thumbi vaa' and the relative merits. Thought I will put in my thoughts about the lyrics. The Malayalam lyrics are a bit tough for me to understand. I think it is by ONV. I find ONV as well as Sreekumaran Thambi's lyrics a bit difficult to comprehend sometimes, given than I have no clue on Malayalam :) If someone can translate those lyrics it will be great. I don't remember the Tamil lyrics too clearly. I have a feeling they were good but nothing extraordinary. The Hindi lyrics are also good. The lyricist has done a good job in 'Paa'.

To me the best lyrics for the 'thumbee vaa' variation is in Telgu. Veturi just freaks out in this song and I hold the lyrics for this song in high esteem. The pallavi itself is very striking:
'AkAsham aE nATidO anurAgam A nATidi
Avesham aE nADu kaligeno A nADE telisindadi'

The charanam is equally wonderful. Here is the charanam from the site: http://www.idlebrain.com/nosta/jewels/nireekshana.html

ae puvvu ae taeTi dannadO
ae naaDO raasunnadi
ae muddu ae mOvi dannadO
ae poddO raasunnadi
bandhaalayi penuvaeyu vayasuku
andaalae daasOhamanagaa
mandaaram virabooyu pedavulaku
madhuvulanae chavichooDamanagaa

I don't think I am poet enough to translate this.

raagas
17th November 2009, 09:48 PM
i completely agree Suresh. Veturi showed his class. the concluding line of charanam - "kaalaanne niladeesi kalalaku, ivvaalee velalaeni viluvalu" is the master stroke.
who writes such beautiful language now-a-days. Nobody!

krish244
18th November 2009, 12:52 AM
One more +ve review:

http://www.radioandmusic.com/content/reviews/film-music-reviews/paa

thanks,

Krishnan

csramasami
18th November 2009, 11:51 PM
[tscii:8df72ce5f9]AB's emotional wordings on IR in today's blog a few minutes ago:

Quote:

The great Ilaiyaraja, pristine in white and just off from Balaji at Tirupati, conducts me at Prasad Studios for the song from PAA. I did it once when he was not around. I did it today when he was around. The world seemed different. The quality improved. The reason for his hand gestures as he conducted the rhythms poetic and his demeanor and expressions synonymous with the flow of the notes he had composed in his private room just behind and beyond the studio.

His eyes wild and bright. His language measured and pointed. His reason behind every note definite and pure and his decision final on the output. The master, the maestro, the magician the ‘little Raja’.

I am struck with emotion. It works its way up the belly through to the chest and heart and waits to explode into the eye lids. And I return back to the Hotel and I believe that I will wait till the morrow for the senses to dissolve before I can go any further …

Good night, my dears ..

I shall return before the morrow is over ..

Unquote[/tscii:8df72ce5f9]

jaiganes
19th November 2009, 01:09 AM
This album is way better than cheeni kum.
Guys the way Gum sum gum and 'mere paa' have been organized, they are miles above stratosphere occupied by legends of indian film music. The way mere paa theme is hinted in 'Hichki' is a cute master stroke. It is a mind boggling jazz orgasm listening to these songs and especially gumm summ gumm - It derives from Thumbi vaa a very minor portion of base melody and it has been spun in a jazz universe in a very very new and fresh manner. Of course mudi mudi in all its versions are delights to feel.
Mere paa - Amitabh simply melts you away in Raaja's sound scape.

It ranks right up there with Pazhassi Raja and Naan Kadavul.
A very very very classy album - I am so reminded of Mani-Raaja combination days.

jaiganes
19th November 2009, 01:12 AM
Ofcourse got the 'Manasu mayangum' portions in Hichaki - very very cheeky and cute.

tvsankar
19th November 2009, 12:36 PM
Now my pick is - mere paa by Amitab ji

Wat a rendition.. Here is our IR....

I see the character in this tune.. This is our Raaja..

Kaatu vazhi - kaeta podhu, ennudaiya feelings IRin kuraludanum, lyric nudanum kalandhu , paatai rasithadhu..

Same things is happening in this song also..

But this time - i dono the language..

but knew about the story lines and the character.....

Same tune - chinna kid in feelings ku epapdi fit aradhu....

Head phone il kaetkiren...

KId Amitab - en kadhukulae paduvadhu pola unargiren...

language theriaydhu.. But feelings puriaryadhu...

indha paatai kaetkukm podhellam - kannil kannir............

Wat a Great expressions from him......

Really Great pick from this album........

Raaja - You are Great Sir...........

jaiganes
20th November 2009, 12:30 AM
Right now I am stuck with Gum Summ gum's 'Out of the world' second interlude and another second interlude from an old film Janma Janmadha anubandha - Thangaliyalli. If I were a composer, I would have simply composed these two interludes and happily retired, knowing that there is nothing else left to do better than this...

Also in the second interlude of Udi Udi - I see shades of 'Thendralum Maarudhu' tune+interlude - Delightful to make a connection - now on to that one. Raaja oru 2 maasamaa indha maadhiri ' GOTO', JUMP appdinnu oru loopla alayavittundu irukkaarpa..

Bala (Karthik)
20th November 2009, 01:37 AM
Youtube la poi konjam reaksan pappom nu paatha ella N.I morons-um Benjamin Button, Jack ne soltrukkanunga :banghead: Dei, marandhu poi kooda ungalukkellam music sense-e varaadhada? :x

Bala (Karthik)
20th November 2009, 02:16 AM
Just read through the reviews and comments from up north. Not a single review of substance. None with even a semblance of musical appreciation/sense, let alone knowledge.
Some comments are in the order of Kaundamani asking Senthil to play "Nalamdhaana" in his thavil!
Abysmal :(

kid-glove
20th November 2009, 02:59 AM
But then what do you expect of North Indian fans, especially Bachchan fanatics. Their mind can't get ahead of such comparisons. Bachchan himself, though, understands the genius of Raaja if we had to take his blog as evidence.

irir123
20th November 2009, 02:59 AM
Bala (Karthik) - unless one has been raised in TN, or AP during the late 1970s, 80s n 90s, it is impossible to understand n appreciate the music of IR the way you are expecting!

in a way, its also unfair to expect them to - its a different matter that many ppl from the south, actively pursue music for music's sake and make genuine efforts to understand all genres of music without being judgemental

how many junta in TN, for that matter appreciate IR's music with all its minutest nuances ? even our own journalists 'vechha kudumi sirachha mottai' rangeukku, they either praise IR (not his music, btw!) or totally downplay his music

where is the objectivity here ?? that being the case, its unrealistic to expect them to give 'musically' nuanced reviews - coz they dont have an ear for IR kindof an output, which is coz they have not been so well-groomed to listen the way IR groomed you, me and others here - thats not their fault, though!

even in TN cinema, how many ppl, barring a kamal, or a BM, know the real worth of IR as a composer genius ?

forget IR, they dont even appreciate their own talented lot! Vishal Bharadwaj arrived with a bang with 'maachis' a very original soundtrack, but in the absence of support from media, as well as from the film fraternity, he faded away as a composer, then reinvented himself as a stunning filmmaker (maqbool, etc) - his talent was way too obvious for even himself to ignore it! btw, interestingly enough, the one man who identified his talent and used it when everyone else was sidelining Vishal was, Kamal for 'Chachi420' !! (see i think like Kamal, dont I ?! :smokesmile: )

tats the way the industry n the media associated with it work - Lajja's BGM which for me was brilliant in many places throughout the film was dismissed as 'hollywood-kind' by rediff! another great album not by IR, but by Hridaynath Mangeshkar (brother of Lata, of couse), "Lekin" was brilliant with at least two tracks based on hardcore hindustani classical music - "jhoote naina bole" (based on Sree ragam ?) sung by Asha Bhosle is an alltime great song in indian cinema - but how many ppl have even heard of 'lekin' ?

the little positive attention PAA is getting is coz of the Bacchan factor plus adman Balki's savvy marketing - had IR done the same score for a lesser movie with an Irfan Khan or a Naseerudin Shah, you wudnt have seen even this much of a reaction!

i will put it this way - if IR had used a couple of tunes he had used for "Chal chalein" for PAA, they wud have still gotten the same positive reviews, n the publicity and a 'ghum sum' or a 'meri paa' in chal chalen wud hav sunk without a trace

tats how it works over there - glitz, and meaningless hype

IR needs now (after PAA's success music-wise) - if he is truely ambitious about any of this (which i sincerely doubt!) - are a couple of projects with Aamir Khan (who def has a huge fan following, media clout and much better sense of aesthetics than Bachan and co), Shah Rukh (for his huge fan following, media clout n not for his lack of whatever Aamir possesses!), Madhur Bandharkar, Vidhu Vinodh Chopra, Yash Chopra and maybe a Subhash Ghai - only then, wud he have covered the spectrum of mainstream Hindi cinema 'families' and the journos wud identify IR's music with their perception of 'quality'!

until then a stray 'Paa' here and there mite be celebration for us, but in the overall context of hindi cinema dynamics, it will get lost in the general cacophony

there is a % of Bengalis who do appreciate good works of art, but the problem is they are so 'Bengal'-centric, that somehow they force themselves not to accept their own subconscious liking/ admiration for artists from other places! this is what i observed wrto Kamal who has many admirers in bengal, but, neither is he a bengali nor married to one (an advantage Bachan enjoys!)

jaiganes
20th November 2009, 03:29 AM
If I had been Balki, I would have been really really tempted to have a Lori(Thaalattu) like 'Aliyage' (from Chal Chalein) or 'Badavara Manege'(Prem Kahani) where a mom (Vidya) sings a lori to Auro (Bacchan Sr.). It would have been the cliched, but ever so successful emotional manipulation hook ideal for a composer like Raaja and fans alike.

ananth222
20th November 2009, 07:49 AM
Been listening to Paa continuously... great album! IR revolutionized TFM by bringing the rural sound using folk music - can he bring another revolution of hip urban music using jazz?

Sureshs65
20th November 2009, 09:40 AM
J
Some comments are in the order of Kaundamani asking Senthil to play "Nalamdhaana" in his thavil!
Abysmal :(

:lol: Reminds me of an unmusical relative of mine once saying how mridangist was playing a lovely Shanmukapriya!!

irir123: Well articulated views. As you suspect, I too suspect, that Raja will not follow the path you have put forth as far a Hindi films are concerned. He will do some one off films like this. I hope I am wrong but ...

irir123
20th November 2009, 09:46 AM
"PAA" available on iTUNES!!

raagas
20th November 2009, 10:25 AM
irir123,

You have wonderfully pointed out lot the issues that play out in disfavouring a composer. The examples you have cited, like a Vishal Bharadwaj or Hridaynath mangeshkar are true.I have heard couple of Marathi songs of Hridhayanath Mangeshkar which are outstanding and they made me doubt if they have been composed by IR.I mean,they had such intricate bass work overlapped on a subtle melody that i was awe struck.Infact his compositions for Maaya Memsaab are also good.Listen to Khudse baathein, the composition is so different from the usuals.

But as you said,Ilaiyaraaja needs film-makers such as Vidhu Vinod Chopra,Aamir Khan.Hindi film industry is more organised now,in the way things are handled.Now directors have specific people for even minute tasks such as production values, publicity designs, promotions,which bring visibility.There is a sense of order in the way films are being shot and publicized.And thats happening because people are appreciating all kinds of films, small or big now, provided they have substance.Look at the way production house UTV picks up films to produce.Or even Vidhu Vinod Chopra.They can be small or big.Yet,there is visibility. The list of films made by them is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTV_Motion_Pictures I think they are all different in content and there is variety.

IR needs to figure in films,small or big,that are made by such kind of production houses.

uv
20th November 2009, 10:20 PM
Paa music is disappointing, average at most.
Another great opportunity missed by IR. I think Balki failed to get good music from IR.

Sad.

app_engine
20th November 2009, 10:28 PM
uv, where did you hear pA songs?

Just curious :-)

(I just noticed that your ID shows posts count as 29 but not one of them is available on the hub if one checks your profile, did they all get deleted or disappear :wink: )

Sureshs65
20th November 2009, 10:49 PM
vidunga app. Ithukellam poyi CBI vachindu :) Avar already sad'A feel pannraru paavam.

Sanjeevi
20th November 2009, 11:48 PM
atleast uv-yoda intha postavathu varanume, athuvum illa

bug?

fan_ir
21st November 2009, 12:20 AM
Goundar thonila sollanamtaan "uv peru vechukittu irupavagaloda post ellam return akaathu"

ada vidungapaa..

irir123
21st November 2009, 11:35 AM
http://www.desihits.com/blog/article/music-review-paa-20091119

Sanjeevi
21st November 2009, 01:23 PM
http://www.behindwoods.com/bollywood/hindi-music-reviews/paa-amitabh-bachchan-ilayaraja.html

tvsankar
21st November 2009, 01:56 PM
Mere paa by Amitab

During amitab's rendetion - the rhythm patterns sticks in my mind...

Nursery rhyme madhiri oru tune ku - enna oru beats......

very nice , soft and SWEEEEEEEEEET...

IR - Nursery songs ku orchestration senja

evvalavu nalla irukum........

Kandipa enaku romba pidikum....

IR consider pannina nalla irukum......

old days la - kids madhiri - happya Nursery rhymes
kaekalam - IR Orchestration la......

irir123
22nd November 2009, 10:44 PM
one very +ve thing am anticipating abt "PAA" is that, since it is a Hindi film, it will most likely get released in very good halls like the AMC/Regal cinemas in the US!

the sound quality is simply abysmal in halls run/owned by Indians/desis

if Balki puts little bit more effort, he can get PAA reviewed by local scribes, who will not dare review a non-studio relealse in the US!

at least that way someone will take notice of IR's score which i anticipate to be of high quality given the canvas, storyline etc

Fliflo
23rd November 2009, 04:13 AM
See the 2 greats

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/features/2009/11/20/5688/index.html

Shankar
23rd November 2009, 09:18 AM
An amazing comment in that bollywoodhungama link :)

The mummy returns
by Stone
on Friday 20th November 2009 , 05:59:53 PM
Amitabh...??? Looks like the remains of Ramses II. About the same age, right?

ROFL :)

Bala (Karthik)
23rd November 2009, 08:47 PM
Irir,
Fair enough! :(

irir123
24th November 2009, 01:40 AM
Bala (Karthik) - when i saw 'nan kadavul' there were tractor and rice-mill kindof sounds going alongwith IR's BGMs! same when i saw 'dasa' here (texas) - am sure most other halls in the US screening tamil films wud be no better

when i asked narmada travels, the distributors abt this, they said, tamil films dont have a big enough market for screening in good halls like the amc/regal cinemas!

worser, these guys r minting money from the gullible, star -crazy fans of TN! $16 for dasa was atrocious - i waited for 2 weeks n then watched it for the regular $10 - they screen the films in 'dandanakka' halls n charge exorbitant amounts - and our makkals like idiots have no problems watching them

even telugu 'colorful' films, get screened in amc halls

imagine kamal making a state-of-the-art film say 'marmayogi' which gets screened in such halls ! wats the whole point ??

regarding 'paa' - i dont have gr8 hopes for the film as such (bachan looks like a caricature n by all means, he will be a sodhappal, but every1 will go gaga over his 'phenomenal' performance), but balki will ensure good publicity

Sanjeevi
3rd December 2009, 12:14 AM
Chaaarrrruuu ThArumAru

http://mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=12410&start=1110

:rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl3:

app_engine
3rd December 2009, 08:22 PM
http://www.glamsham.com/movies/reviews/03-paa-movie-review-120910.asp

All I can say is that the end will have you reaching out for the kleenex.

As expected, no mention about BGM. We'll have to wait for other detailed reviews :-)

app_engine
3rd December 2009, 08:52 PM
Digression -
http://movies.indiatimes.com/News/Amitabh-grants-SRK-his-wish/articleshow/5294947.cms

எப்படியெல்லாம் மார்க்கெட் பண்றாங்க பாருங்கப்பா!

இவ்வளவு ஹைப் இதுக்கு முன்னாடி ஒரு ராசா படத்துக்கும் இருந்ததில்லைன்னு அடிச்சு சொல்லலாம்!

At TN level, the hypest was perhaps for dhaLapathi IMO and none so big after that; now at a different level in Mumbai.

20 நாடு, 700 ப்ரின்ட்டு, பென் கிங்ஸ்லி ப்ரிமியர் பாக்கறாரு, ஐஸ் ப்ரொமோட் பண்றாங்க etc . I don't know why the 'amerikkAla michael sakson...' thingy of gounder keeps coming to my mind :-)

End-digression

Good that Balki / IR chose a safe path for the music. Even the so-called original numbers are IR's clever spin of yesteryear classics IMO (mudi-mudi is technically a variant of ninnukkOri and hichki-hichki of manadhu mayangum :thumbsup: )

app_engine
4th December 2009, 02:13 AM
[tscii:2dc1971dc5]http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/media/entertainment-/entertainment/Paa-Movie-Review/articleshow/5297965.cms

Ilaiya Raja’s musical score soothingly works on a subconscious level.

[/tscii:2dc1971dc5]

app_engine
4th December 2009, 02:24 AM
http://www.reuters.com/article/filmNews/idUSTRE5B24IN20091203

Bachchan's role and heavy make-up, which took five hours to apply, is uncommon in Bollywood, which generally puts out films that revolve round love stories and trademark song-and-dance sequences, or more commonplace social or political themes.

See how they view Indian movies :oops:

Cinefan
4th December 2009, 10:13 AM
http://sify.com/movies/bollywood/review.php?id=14922221&ctid=5&cid=2425

Music by Illayaraja and lyrics by Swanand Kirkire make for hauntingly beautiful songs. Just for the Ittefaq song and its wonderful picturisation, this writer intends to watch the film again.

Bala (Karthik)
4th December 2009, 11:34 AM

Music by Illayaraja and lyrics by Swanand Kirkire make for hauntingly beautiful songs. Just for the Ittefaq song and its wonderful picturisation, this writer intends to watch the film again.
:clap: (so, can we take it that this song at least has not been tampered with on-screen?)

Cinefan
4th December 2009, 12:15 PM

:clap: (so, can we take it that this song at least has not been tampered with on-screen?)

Bala,

What's that with your avatar and tagline?

Sanjeevi
4th December 2009, 12:45 PM
NYtimes review

http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/12/04/movies/04paa.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

AravindMano
4th December 2009, 02:55 PM
Rediff Review - http://movies.rediff.com/report/2009/dec/04/review-watch-paa-for-auro.htm

Strictly not a word about the music.

Hulkster
4th December 2009, 04:33 PM
PAA - The review

Film is very emotion centric, but do not believe that this is a tearjerker. In fact the only tears shed are at the last five minutes of the film. Otherwise it is a tale woven with humour and relationships.

The film has excellent dialogues which keep the flow in tact and a simple screenplay. Characterization is probably the best as instead of creating a mother character that is waiting for the end of her son's life, he has brought out a independent feminist who has come into terms with life. Same goes with Abishek as his characterization sort of matches Auro's style of thinking who is a politician in this film. Balki has tried to fuse alot of wittiness in this movie just like Cheeni Kum to enhance the film.

Downside is the slightly villainous character who has not much scope in this film and the corruption angle which abishek is trying to omit, both of which are not really needed for the story(i guess director was trying to justify abishek's style of thinking and his vision as a politician but it takes the gloss off the story a little bit).

Amitabh really pulls it off although you can't see alot of expressions due to his make up until the end where you start noticing them. His walking style looks like pithamagan vikram but that is offset from the viewer due to his dialogue delivery. Abishek, Vidya and the rest perform adequately.

PC Sreeram's cinematography is excellent as ever and so is thalaivar's music. For such a film, a minimal background score is the best and thalaivar has performed that admirably. But you will really cry when it comes to the climax as thalaivar slowly builds up the impending tragedy with his score. Despite the predictability of what is going to happen, the music makes you feel the impending sadness and when it happens you just let your tears out(The genius of thalaivar is that he does not his score wail out when the finale happens, letting you feel the impact of the scene). Most of the songs are played fully although there are breaks where the characters will have a small dialogue and then the music continues. It is very effective as then you understand why the interlude and the charanam of the song goes in that manner.

Film is certainly a must watch. It is quite similar to Cheeni Kum with all the wittiness and characterization but you will never feel lost in any scene you see. Certainly a amazing film. :clap:

Bala (Karthik)
4th December 2009, 05:09 PM
Most of the songs are played fully although there are breaks where the characters will have a small dialogue and then the music continues. It is very effective as then you understand why the interlude and the charanam of the song goes in that manner.
Thank heavens!

Hulkster
4th December 2009, 05:21 PM
Gum Summ plays only for half though and Mere Paa comes right before the end credits.

Dunt have to worry about songs not getting into the listener as thalaivar has come up with myriads of variations for mudhi mudhi and Paa theme that viewers are bound to be stuck with them :D

AravindMano
4th December 2009, 05:35 PM
Enakku udane paakkalana thookkame varaaadhe :?

Bala (Karthik)
4th December 2009, 06:56 PM
Innaikke paathiruppen, but last two films theater la en ponnu padame pakka vidala.. thaniya thaan paakkanum pola irukku :)

raagas
4th December 2009, 07:39 PM
I guess we dont have to worry about songs being picturised or not. Because these days, the way it operates is different. Songs can still be considered as hits, though they might not be picturised. Because people are listening to songs on TV, cds, internet etc. They are not really Particular about songs being there in film. Cheeni Kum music worked, despite all songs being half-picturised. I think songs are reaching people somehow or other. And in the case of Paa, the music has already made a mark. The music is not like CHal Chalein, where half of India still doesnt know the existence of such an album. The music of Paa became popular, as the word means.

app_engine
4th December 2009, 08:17 PM
NYtimes review

Bollywood loves a tale of parentage found

irir123
4th December 2009, 10:30 PM
[tscii:f098fefc5d]
NYtimes review

A barely recognizable Amitabh — with a veiny, bulbous pate; rotting teeth; and slope-shouldered gait — seems to be enjoying himself, even if his Auro is more holy fool than 12-year-old. It’s stunt acting and frequently more creepy than moving, but it also gives “Paa” it’s weird I’m-my-own-grandpa charge.

:oops: :confused2: :rotfl: [/tscii:f098fefc5d]

jaiganes
4th December 2009, 10:41 PM
I guess we dont have to worry about songs being picturised or not. Because these days, the way it operates is different. Songs can still be considered as hits, though they might not be picturised. Because people are listening to songs on TV, cds, internet etc. They are not really Particular about songs being there in film. Cheeni Kum music worked, despite all songs being half-picturised. I think songs are reaching people somehow or other. And in the case of Paa, the music has already made a mark. The music is not like CHal Chalein, where half of India still doesnt know the existence of such an album. The music of Paa became popular, as the word means.
u are giving the reach of chal chalein album too much of a credit.
moththame padinonnu per thaan. 11th person is amanda sodhi of PFC to whom I asked 'did u get a chance to listen to chal chalein'.

Sanjeevi
4th December 2009, 10:52 PM
u are giving the reach of chal chalein album too much of a credit.
moththame padinonnu per thaan. 11th person is amanda sodhi of PFC to whom I asked 'did u get a chance to listen to chal chalein'.

Fliflo
5th December 2009, 05:42 AM
http://ww.smashits.com/news/bollywood/movie-review/7753/an-outstanding-movie.html

Music director Ilaiyaraaja and lyricist Swanand Kirkire enthrall the audience with three versions of the `Udhi Udhi-Mudhi Mudhi' track. Critics have hailed the male and female versions by Shaan and Shilpa Rao as rendered to perfection. :cool2:

Cinefan
5th December 2009, 12:00 PM
There's a review in 'Bangalore Mirror'by their regular guy Minty Tejpal today.As with the rediff review,not a word on the music.

Ivane 'Wanted' padam review-le kooda music pathi pesi irundhaan.

Cinefan
5th December 2009, 12:51 PM
[tscii:2a5a771f5c]http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=14922388

Big B’s special show of Paa in Chennai!

By Moviebuzz | Saturday, 05 December , 2009, 12:06

Everybody is raving about Amitabh Bachchan’s superb performance as a 13 year old Auro, suffering from progeria in Balki directed Paa. The film which released on Friday (Dec 4) has opened well all over the world including Chennai.

One of the factors for the film’s success is the music score of Ilayaraja, which is being appreciated by the North Indian audiences. Now the latest we hear is that Big B as a thanksgiving to Ilayaraja is coming to Chennai today evening (December 5) and holding a special show for the maestro.

The director of the film Balki has confirmed that Amitabh will be in Chennai on Saturday night for the special show. As per our sources Big-B has booked the entire Santham theatre for the night show of the film in Sathyam Cinemas.

The source added: “The show is for Raja sir who could not attend the premiere of the film on Thursday in Mumbai. Amitji will sit with Raja sir, Balki, PC Sriram and other celebrities from Kollywood and watch Paa, after that he will fly back to Mumbai”.

[/tscii:2a5a771f5c]

irir123
5th December 2009, 12:55 PM
[tscii:6c483cccc7]http://www.filmjournal.com/filmjournal/content_display/reviews/specialty-releases/e3i63d9141b5e7263718e71090bd6e6291b

"Bachchan knows just how far to push to make the boy headstrong and infuriating without having us lose sympathy or understanding, and the Big B, as Amitabh is fondly known, continues to prove he's not only the Clint Eastwood/Paul Newman/Sean Connery hybrid of Indian cinema, but also a brilliant character actor who can submerge into a role that calls for genuinely childish—and not formulaically "childlike"—behavior."
[/tscii:6c483cccc7]

havent these guys ever seen Kamal, or a Mohanlal act ?

K
5th December 2009, 12:57 PM
itha padinga PAA
http://radiospathy.blogspot.com/2009/12/paa.html

Fliflo
5th December 2009, 04:36 PM
http://tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2009/December/051209.asp

Sanjeevi
5th December 2009, 11:08 PM
Paa is on the way to become hit if not super hit

http://bollybusiness.wordpress.com/2009/12/05/sanchit-shots-the-occupancy-for-paa-on-saturday-is-almost-double-than-that-of-friday/

and the here http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/features/2009/12/05/5750/index.html

Says a trade insider, “The occupancy for Paa on Saturday is almost double than that of Friday. Everyone thought that the film was mainly targeting the class audiences in big cities but it is doing well even in interiors like Nagpur and other cities and towns.

http://bollybusiness.wordpress.com/2009/12/05/boxoffice-paa-dancing-and-smiling-at-boxoffice/

Paa is all set for dramatic turn in business from here on, if Friday was good, Saturday is truly rocking and Sunday will be outstanding.

Bala (Karthik)
5th December 2009, 11:45 PM
Had to return home without watching Paa because of non-availability of tickets (when i went both the 8PM and 9:15 PM tickets were sold out) @ Fame Whitefield, Bangalore

Tuesday office tayathula polaam-nu irukken

MADDY
6th December 2009, 03:03 AM
Had to return home without watching Paa because of non-availability of tickets (when i went both the 8PM and 9:15 PM tickets were sold out) @ Fame Whitefield, Bangalore

//reminds me of P_R's fav Tamil M.A dialaak - poonthamalli ponaa angeyum vandhuttanga sir :lol: .......andha kaalathula, whitefield ellam kaada irundhudhu hmmm :) ......//

btw, good to know that the movie is running full........movie is getting a landslide of good reviews......if Paa is anything like cheeni kum, then i would be happy 8-)

Fliflo
6th December 2009, 07:29 AM
[tscii:41b6c24293]http://www.entertainmentandshowbiz.com/paa-movie-review-paa-has-only-auro-and-no-amitabh-bachchan-don%E2%80%99t-believe-go-and-watch-the-movie%E2%80%A6-2009120425317

And the last but not the least is the music. Ilaiyaaraja’s music as usual lingers for long in your mind. And did we tell you about the 12 year old singer of the song “Mere Paa”? Well…his name is Amitabh Bachchan.[/tscii:41b6c24293]

app_engine
6th December 2009, 09:45 AM
[tscii:93fec4e0d2]Long but interesting review :
http://www.naachgaana.com/2009/12/05/satyams-review-of-paa-posted-by-rocky/

Some parts are of equa, P_R, compli standard :-)

It would be quite impossible to exit this rather lengthy reflection on the film without commenting on Ilaiyaraja’s perfectly attuned score for the film. This is not a major effort of composition on the maestro’s part as much as it the creation of a clean, crisp and very cool sound to match the film’s mood. This was of course true even for Cheeni Kum but Raja outdoes that effort here.

BTW, is there a BRangan review for pA?
[/tscii:93fec4e0d2]

hamid
6th December 2009, 10:22 AM

Tuesday office tayathula polaam-nu irukken

intrestingly tickets are freely available in all theatres across Delhi Gurgaon.. maybe coz of wide release...

have booked for today afternoon show in PVR along with family.. paarkalaam.. evvalo puriyuthunnu :lol:

Fliflo
6th December 2009, 10:28 AM
http://www.ibosnetwork.com/newsmanager/templates/template1.aspx?a=21906&z=4

Box Office: PAA emerging a box office hit over India
:thumbsup:

Bala (Karthik)
6th December 2009, 11:40 AM
//reminds me of P_R's fav Tamil M.A dialaak - poonthamalli ponaa angeyum vandhuttanga sir :lol: .......andha kaalathula, whitefield ellam kaada irundhudhu hmmm :) ......//

Hamid,
Actually tickets were available in Innovative Marathalli but dissance naala pogala

app_engine
6th December 2009, 07:48 PM
[tscii:f5f1038ae9]http://sify.com/movies/fullstory.php?id=14922449

Got relieved that there was no new controversy started on this stage :-)

I think hereafter people should request IR to speak only in English on stage :-)

AB went out of his way to wax eloquent about Raja sir, who was in an excellent mood and reciprocated the mega star’s praises by saying in English: “ Amitji is the heart and soul of Paa, he has lived the role of Auro and is absolutely fantastic. The screenplay of Balki based on a short and simple story is brilliant.”

[/tscii:f5f1038ae9]

app_engine
6th December 2009, 08:14 PM
Well, though IR hasn't sparked off any controversy, don't we need something juicy to discuss?

One can sense that none of the current who's who of Kollywood seems to be present in this show :wink: Possibly there was no invitation (otherwise at least some would have been present). Does it further underline that IR no longer wants to work with any of the biggies of TF?

irir123
6th December 2009, 09:18 PM
i thought Kamal wud have been there, given that Bachan graced DASA audio release - as a reciprocatory gesture

Sanjeevi
6th December 2009, 11:30 PM
[tscii]http://sify.com/movies/fullstory.php?id=14922449

Got relieved that there was no new controversy started on this stage :-)

Today wall paper of "Tamil Murasu" shows "Ilaiyaraja Nadigargalukku Advice" in kottezhuthu :lol2:

But I don't know what was the content :)

Sanjeevi
6th December 2009, 11:43 PM
[tscii:64d20572d6]BTW just found the Tamil Murasu news

அமிதாப்பிடம் நடிப்பை கற்றுக்கொள்ளுங்கள்
சென்னை, டிச.6&

ஏபிசிஎல் நிறுவனம் மூலம் அம¤தாப் பச்சன் தயாரித்து, நடித்துள்ள இந்தி படம் ‘பா’. இப்படத்தை பால்கி இயக்கியுள்ளார். இளையராஜா இசையமைத்துள்ளார். இளம் வயதில் முதுமையை அடையும் ‘புரொஜரியா’ எனும் நோயால் பாதிக்கப்படும் சிறுவனை பற்றிய கதை இது.

இப்படத்தின் சிறப்புக் காட்சி சென்னையில் நேற்றிரவு திரையிடப்பட்டது. இதில் பங்கேற்க வந்த அமிதாப் பச்சனுக்கு தமிழ் திரைப்பட சங்கங்கள் சார்பில் பாராட்டு விழா நடைபெற்றது.
இதில் பங்கேற்று இளையராஜா பேசியதாவது:

இதுவரை 800 படங்களுக்கு மேல் இசையமைத்துவிட்டேன். ‘பா’ எனது 884வது படம். இதுவரை எத்தனையோ படங்களை பார்த்துவிட்டேன். படத்தை பார்க்கும்போதே அதில் நடிப்பவர் என்ன செய்கிறார் என்பதை கவன¤த்துவிடுவேன். சிலர் ஹோம் ஒர்க் செய்து நடிப்பார்கள். சிலர் அப்படியே வந்து நடித்துவிட்டு போவார்கள். யார் கேமராவை ஏமாற்றுகிறார் என்பதை படம் பார்த்ததும் புரிந்துகொள்வேன். இங்கு ‘பா’வை பார்க்க நிறைய தமிழ் நடிகர்கள் வந்திருக்கிறீர்கள். அம¤தாப் பச்சனின் நடிப்பை பாருங்கள். அவர்தான் உங்களுக்கு ரோல் மாடல். சாதாரணமாக நடப்பது, சாப்பிடுவது என ஒவ்வொரு விஷயத்திலும் அந்த சிறுவனின் கேரக்டராகவே மாறியிருக்கிறார். நடிப்பது ஒரு கலை. இசையமைப்பது, இயக்குவது என சினிமாவில் எல்லாமே கலைதான். அந்த கலையால் நாம் மக்களுக்கு என்ன தருகிறோம் என்பதுதான் முக்கியம். நாம் தரும் விஷயத்தில் அர்த்தம் இருக்க வேண்டும். அமிதாப் பச்சனின் நடிப்பில் அந்த அர்த்தங்கள் இருக்கிறது. அவரை பாராட்டாமல் போனால் நான் இங்கு வந்ததே வீணாகிவிடும்.

இவ்வாறு இளையராஜா பேசினார்.

அமிதாப்பச்சன் பேசும்போது, நான் தமிழ் படத்தில் நடிக்க வேண்டும் என பெப்சி தலைவர் குகநாதன் கூறினார். ‘பா’வை இயக்கிய பால்கி, இளையராஜா, ஒளிப்பதிவாளர் பி.சி.ஸ்ரீராம், நாயகி வித்யாபாலன் என பலரும் தமிழகத்தை சேர்ந்தவர்கள்தான். அதனால் இதுகூட ஒருவகையில் தமிழ் படம் மாதிரிதான். நேரத்தை மதிக்கும் குணம் தமிழ் சினிமா கலைஞர்களிடம் இருக்கிறது. இந்தி சினிமாவில் அது இல்லை என்பதை நினைத்து வருத்தப்படுகிறேன்’ என்றார்.

பெப்சி தலைவர் வி.சி. குகநாதன், தமிழ் திரைப்பட தயாரிப்பாளர்கள் சங்ககத்தை சேர்ந்த டி.சிவா, இயக்குனர்கள் சங்க செயலாளர் செல்வமணி, நடிகை குஷ்பு உள்பட பலர் கலந்துகொண்டனர்.

தமிழ் நடிகர்களுக்கு இளையராஜா அட்வைஸ்
[/tscii:64d20572d6]

Sanjeevi
6th December 2009, 11:54 PM
Just now saw Paa on "Devi Paradise" and the theater has improved a lot and the complex almost looks like Sathyam even in ticket system, internal snacks system, upcoming film promotions and toilet :)

OK back to Paa. Very simple execution, without much tragedy and with fun provide a family entertainer. Very well"under-play performance by both Amitabh and Ilaiyaraja. I liked the BGM especially towards climax, fun scenes and the silences he has composed for most scenes :D

Show was houseful in Devi paradise (new 1000 seaters)

Sanjeevi
7th December 2009, 12:19 AM
Forget to mention. Here in Chennai, only one place had claps during title card, when Ilaiyaraja name came (Jeya Bachan told). Then many claps for scenes, dialogues and Amitab Bachan and this clearly showed people are enjoying the film.

natha1729
7th December 2009, 10:02 AM
mr. balki knowledge and sense of good music is child-like. none of his tune selections from IR's rep is worthy of a National audience. Thumbi Vaa/Sangathil was right down south, in the north, it is sounded like a joke. Hindi has a different, somewhat restrained musicality about it.

Cinefan
7th December 2009, 05:06 PM
i thought Kamal wud have been there, given that Bachan graced DASA audio release - as a reciprocatory gesture

He was attending a State Information ministers conference in New Delhi.Have no idea why and in what capacity.

ezy0265
7th December 2009, 06:05 PM
natha1729,

Your comments above are like mr.balki's child like........

I hope you get my drift...pls grow up.

app_engine
7th December 2009, 07:45 PM
http://entertainment.in.msn.com/movies/features/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=3429326

What kind of crowd is this :-) (Full of retired actresses)

irir123
7th December 2009, 09:55 PM
watched "PAA" this evening at an AMC hall (at last an IR-score in a decent theatre - but still, they were not very particular abt using the entire sound system effectively - i thought the bass levels were way too low -(

its a neat, clean, straight film, but with lots of deviations that could have been done without - Balki still cannot get away from his adman spirit, with the scenes still looking like advt frames fitted together - though the screenplay seemed much more jointed this time - Bachan is good, but just about that - given the hype the media is creating over his performance, i expected a superlative performance with brilliant subtleties, but they were few and far between (maybe am so much used to the big expressive eyes of Kamal doing out every emotion and Bachan has his limitations using his eyes) - the kids interplay was so hearteningly crisp and devoid of the 'artificial' aura that one usually gets to see in a Mani Ratnam film for example - the supporting cast were all equally good - the main plot of the politician meeting his long lost partner who mothered his child, looked like some poor corny plot from a Sidney Sheldon novel gone bad

now for the main reason I saw the movie - IR!

he restrains himself to using the harpsichord, some piano and strings and lots of synth in the first half - and simply goes ballistic in the latter half, particularly towards the last 30 min - wish Balki had given some space for a 'kadhalukku mariyadhai' style thematic score - maybe because the emotional tones were underplayed or perhaps balki isnt skilled enough to bring out the same, as a HCIRF, i felt IR cud have come up with more deeper stuff had the scenes packed more punch than this - having said that, there is an absolute beauty of a derivative score from the main 'mudi' - the entire song (until the end of the interlude) is played on the piano, guitar and strings when Abhishek and Vidya meet again - its so subtly done, that if you dont look for it, it will disappear in the background - also there are snatches of brilliant improvisations of the interlude motifs of the Shaan version of 'udi udi'

balki snubs at least two songs - 'gum sum' and the second version of 'mudi mudi' - overall, i feel that if balki had approached IR with the script and given him a free hand to come up with the script specific scores/tracks, instead of reusing his earlier tunes, the result wud have most likely been much better - but given this limitation of using a theme already used for some other situation, and also the tunes, IR has done a brilliant job (as usual)

app_engine
7th December 2009, 10:00 PM
[tscii:c4e69125e9]http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/52379.html

When asked about his like for Illayaraja, he said, “I’ve known him for a long time now. Choosing him for ‘Paa’ was the director’s (Balki) choice. The legendary composer is unmatched at giving songs that are close to heart. He is so creative and Paa’s music is wonderful as usual. I have been to his home and it’s a pleasure to be there. I am a great admirer of Ilaiyaraaja. He is a genius and I am fortunate to have worked with him. Who doesn’t love Illayaraja’s music?”

பயங்கரக்கொஞ்சலா இருக்கே? எப்படியோ, எல்லாம் நல்லா நடந்தா / எல்லாரும் நல்லா இருந்தா சரி :-)
[/tscii:c4e69125e9]

app_engine
7th December 2009, 10:06 PM
Songs from Paa did receive a thumbs up from the reviewers, but the songs get an edge when complimented with the visuals in the film.

யாருப்பா இந்த அனிதா அம்மணி? அழகா எழுதி இருக்காங்க :-)

http://www.radioandmusic.com/content/editorial/news/paa-ilayaraja-jazzes-aural-experience-music-check-70-mm

MADDY
7th December 2009, 10:42 PM
Cheeni kum's hot zafrani pulao confrontations and sweet music of raaja were lingering fresh when i stepped into theater to watch paa. I would be lying if i say Amitabh's 12 yr old getup, teasers, trailers on television channels were not drawing me. As soon as i saw Mrs.Bachhan reading out title credits, i smelled a rat (dead one at that). Film opens with Abhishek Bachan as Amol, the idealist politician, who gets to meet 12yr old Auro(with a phsyique of 80 yr old) in a school function. Principal saab explains this condition as a disease called Progeria but goes on to term him very talented and creative. (Why do kids with special conditions need to always compensate with something else like brilliance etc? to me, its equivalent to saying "guy is dark but is still handsome"). Hold on to your seats, because the script then starts oscillating and starts shaking badly once we are thrown into love, pregnancy, practicality, emotions flashback of Vidya balan. Raaja tries his best to hold us with his rousing happy version of Mudi mudi and female(only) version of mudi mudi in the background. The movie then moves on to the shocker of seemingly never ending sub plot - "Abhisehk v Media" where Balki tries to get inspired from masters like Maniratnam but ends up as not even a patch on Shankar(master of such masala commentaries). The 12 yr old, seems to take a backseat as this sub plot thickens. There are very little details given about Auro or did i miss it in this rumble of indecent writing. The movie then veers into a "tamil-tv-serialisitc" mode with the director tying to interest us with the knot of "when Auro will actually meet his paa". The "so-near-yet-so-far" scenes add to misery of the viewers. Raaja and his BGM are mute spectators to this misery.

Viday Balan, finally decides to reveal to Auro who his paa is. We are then taken to the next boring and recursive sequence of Auro roaming around with his paa throughout Delhi and checking if his "new found" paa and himself have similarities. All this without his Paa actually knowing that Auro is his son. Honestly, by this time, i lost all interest in this movie, since scirpt was not offering anything and we were denied the basic right of songs for more than a hour. As auro's condition worsens just like my patience, in hospital scenes, Raaja decides to move Balki to travellers seat and drives us through his pictueresque BGM. "Gum sum" song comes across like a Aquafina bottle in a sahara desert tour. But Balki somehow manages to shake us from this little happiness as well, by giving a karan-joahrish-kid-unites-parents twist to the movie. This is the limit and thankfully climax as well.

The movie broke down for me as soon it showed a 6 yr old characterisation for a 12yr old. The actions, dance moves, his friends were 3rd std stuff and not of a boy who is about to step into his teens. Did you dance in stage after receiving an award when you were in 7th std - God! Looks like most of the time were spent on makeup, camera angles and Aura of Amitabh than characterisation. Auro comes across as "geoffery boycott's" grandson - adhaan, smart aleck, whose ony readily seen trait seems to be the witty replies. Auro never strikes a chord with audience with such wafer thin, detail-less characerisation. Amitabh only compunds this characerisation by acting like a retard and it looks like no homework done for this character. Vidya Balan, seems to be the knee jerk element in the movie who seems to decide life, love, marriage under 5 mins. Mind you, she is also the idealist, single mother who can fall only once in love in a lifetime. Vidya's mom character which starts with a promise of asking her daughter to give birth to the illegitimate child, later sinks to "aurat ye hai, woh hai" lines in the second half. Paresh Rawal, another idealist, north indian politician who retires in his 60's(how can one get more ideal), dishes out advices, supposedly with a great understanding of dyanmics of Indian politics. he recursively asks his son to wriggle out of the auro mess, but Abhishek decides to stay with his son. Abhishek, once again a victim of poor characerisation, is the surprise element of this movie. His character is of a idealist politician, who wants to change India, set things right and doesent want to marry in memory of his first love by rejecting juicy alliances from VIPs. But Abhishek takes control after the initial "angrez" hiccups. He shows restraint, control, Array of emotions in this performance. The scene where he cries over the bedside for Auro's depreciating medical condition takes the cake. No dialogues - only Raaja, PC and Abhishek. Abhishek, through his acting, stands tall and diminishes Amitabhs' image.

Dialogues were very nice at places but i could hardly detect a smart undertone or nuance in them. The "google se bach ke kahan jaayoge", "mein visiting time ke baare mein bol raha tha" etc and host of other witty Auro replies were good but after a point, they became recursive. Lack of strong points in the screenplay killed whatever life was left in dialogues. This is so disappointing from a man who created very interesting scenarios in cheeni kum with dialogues and screenplay. Movie seemed extremely slow, since things started compounding for me right from first scene. The screenplay was so worn out and un-crisp, devoid of any timing. So much so that i didnt mind the karan-joharish climax, because it was atleast coming to an end. Abhishek Bachan is the only thing i would take away from this movie where Raaja tries his best to infuse interest, but is definitely not in my list of "DVD-revisits".

irir123
8th December 2009, 01:50 AM
Maddy - i tried not to be blunt, given bachan's efforts, but u nailed it - at least, it is not a subhash ghai kind of nonsense - am happy with that - though i do admit that i could not connect with the film at an emotional level at all

Fliflo
8th December 2009, 05:42 AM
Auro impact swells Paa box-office collections :thumbsup:

http://www.indiantelevision.com/aac/y2k9/aac785.php

Sureshs65
8th December 2009, 07:41 AM
app_eng,

Amitabh has been saying such things from a long time really. I had heard him on Suhasini show once during 'Cheeni Kum' times. When Suhasini asked him about Raja and PC Sriram and their work in 'Cheeni Kum', he replied "They are Gods." He has consistently been a Raja fan and has put money where is mouth is. His first production venture down south, "Ullasam" had music by Karthik Raja and the 'Miss World' which his company conducted in Bangalore had music by Raja.

app_engine
8th December 2009, 09:20 AM
Sureshs65,

:-)

நல்ல கருத்து! இந்த மனிதர் வெறும் வாய்ச்சொல்லோடு நின்று விடாமல் செயலிலும் காட்டுகிறார்! மகராசன் நல்லா நீடூழி வாழட்டும் :-)

natha1729
8th December 2009, 09:52 AM
natha1729,

Sari Paa

today I played a fantastic IR song to an American friend, all he said was, "it was weird." if Indian film makers need to raise standards, they need to have a better sense of everything, not just idolizing an icon but remembering to find what was best in them and how to take it to another level. things have to be edited well, not take audience time and sensibilitie for granted, a peculiar Indian trait. look at your own response..... are you a bachcha or trying to be Bachchan?

irir123
8th December 2009, 10:36 AM
natha1729,

Sari Paa

today I played a fantastic IR song to an American friend, all he said was, "it was weird." if Indian film makers need to raise standards, they need to have a better sense of everything, not just idolizing an icon but remembering to find what was best in them and how to take it to another level. things have to be edited well, not take audience time and sensibilitie for granted, a peculiar Indian trait. look at your own response..... are you a bachcha or trying to be Bachchan?

oh yeah ?!

i have played IR's scores to 'n' no of americans - to start with there is no separate identity of an 'american' - either its a caucasian white descended from irish, scottish, norwegian, french or italian immigrants or from chinese, vietnamese, hispanic, african immigrants - its a melting pot dude - here ppl listen to diverse forms of music, with certain genres like blues/jazz/reggae more prevalent amongst certain social classes n certain places, and other genres like country/folk, or rock, pop, funk etc - and ppl do listen to other stuff, if they are taken to them properly

cultural insulation might exist, but given the diversity here, it is not difficult to get the attention of genuine music lovers while playing IR's scores - for instance, i once casually sang the entire 'kanavil midhakkum' from EVK to my neighbor couple both of whom are professional instrumentalists (husband plays the oboe, wife the flute) with the city symphony orchestra - next time i met them at their place, they greeted me with the rendition of 'kanavil' pallavi tune on the flute and oboe!!

it all depends on how one articulates ones love for something ! i love IR's music (besides my work of course thats why am productive) in the genuine sense and i know how to take it across - no matter where i am - when taken across properly, someone like steve kennedy was more than happy to give a special glowing review of IR's music in the Film Music Journal, an LA based journal

true, there are lots of things that IR needs to do away with - for instance, the outdated choral parts that numb the senses and the inconsistent sound volume levels etc - but that does not take away his genius!

one last thing - a year ago, i gave a 2 hr presentation on IR to a group of music composition and theory students - part of the music school's forum for composers - it had powerpoint slides with each slide playing a sample traversing the film music career of IR with my self-created images matching IR's music! it was a huge success and today my university's music school has copies of TiS, HTNI and other instrumental albums of IR!

there are zillions of ways to express ones respect and love for something! rabble-rousing is not one of them

Bala (Karthik)
8th December 2009, 11:17 AM
IRIR,
:notworthy:

ezy0265
8th December 2009, 11:57 AM
Wow irir123,

Superb!!! Nallaave sonneenga....

Natha1729 Thiruvilaiyaadal Baalaiyaa maathiri inneram pottiya pack panniyiruppaar....

ezy0265
8th December 2009, 12:02 PM
Ayyaa natha1729,

If you had played a "fantastic" IR song and if your dear fren finds that weird.....!!!!???? who or what do you think is weird, the fantastic IR song or your tasteless friend????

Muttaal...Americannu sonnaa naanga ellaam vaaiya pozhopponnu ninaippaa???? Avangalukkellaam enna music sense romba vazhiyuthaa????

Like the old singh mechanic in Mouna Raagam telling VKR.."Poda dei".

vel
8th December 2009, 05:06 PM
[tscii:3362c1ed5e]When Ilaiyaraaja pulled Swanand’s leg

Swanand Kirkire’s dream came true when he got to work with ace music director Ilaiyaraaja in Paa. Fondly reminiscing the beautiful moments he shared with the illustrious, music composer Swanand is not shy to admit he was nearly bullied to patience by the mild spoken Ilaiyaraaja.

Explains Swanand wearing a huge smile, “Wonderful is too small a word to express the experience I have had working with Ilaiyaraaja. Considering my impatient nature he would pull my leg saying, he would not let me record unless I sit at peace.”

“His studio is like a temple and one experiences an ultimate bliss as soon as one is in there. I am trying to inculcate the disciplined nature of his in me,” signs off Swanand.[/tscii:3362c1ed5e]

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
8th December 2009, 06:11 PM
IRIR, :thumbsup: way to go man!

Istead or arguing with 80s and 90 fans, or countering to extra mentals like charu niveditha, its much best to navigate to new ppl and propogate IR's gems!

jaaze
8th December 2009, 06:19 PM
PA? Paa nu ezhuthungappa
I was wondering who was Balki's PA and what did he launch :?

Besides, very good WOM for the movie :thumbsup:

irir123
8th December 2009, 08:04 PM
couple of restaurants in houston, tx, actually play IR's music since last one year - )) (my little contribution)

jaiganes
8th December 2009, 08:46 PM
couple of restaurants in houston, tx, actually play IR's music since last one year - )) (my little contribution)

I might go to houston some time next feb -march. Tell me which ones... pls....

ajithfederer
8th December 2009, 08:52 PM
:clap:

natha1729,

Sari Paa

oh yeah ?!

i have played IR's scores to 'n' no of americans - to start with there is no separate identity of an 'american' - either its a caucasian white descended from irish, scottish, norwegian, french or italian immigrants or from chinese, vietnamese, hispanic, african immigrants - its a melting pot dude - here ppl listen to diverse forms of music, with certain genres like blues/jazz/reggae more prevalent amongst certain social classes n certain places, and other genres like country/folk, or rock, pop, funk etc - and ppl do listen to other stuff, if they are taken to them properly

cultural insulation might exist, but given the diversity here, it is not difficult to get the attention of genuine music lovers while playing IR's scores - for instance, i once casually sang the entire 'kanavil midhakkum' from EVK to my neighbor couple both of whom are professional instrumentalists (husband plays the oboe, wife the flute) with the city symphony orchestra - next time i met them at their place, they greeted me with the rendition of 'kanavil' pallavi tune on the flute and oboe!!

it all depends on how one articulates ones love for something ! i love IR's music (besides my work of course thats why am productive) in the genuine sense and i know how to take it across - no matter where i am - when taken across properly, someone like steve kennedy was more than happy to give a special glowing review of IR's music in the Film Music Journal, an LA based journal

true, there are lots of things that IR needs to do away with - for instance, the outdated choral parts that numb the senses and the inconsistent sound volume levels etc - but that does not take away his genius!

one last thing - a year ago, i gave a 2 hr presentation on IR to a group of music composition and theory students - part of the music school's forum for composers - it had powerpoint slides with each slide playing a sample traversing the film music career of IR with my self-created images matching IR's music! it was a huge success and today my university's music school has copies of TiS, HTNI and other instrumental albums of IR!

there are zillions of ways to express ones respect and love for something! rabble-rousing is not one of them

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
8th December 2009, 08:53 PM

ennena tracks reccomment panneengnnu therinjikkalaamaa :)

irir123
8th December 2009, 09:53 PM

I might go to houston some time next feb -march. Tell me which ones... pls....

Madras pavilion on Kirby for starters

also if you happen to be at Atlanta airport, you will see an old lady playing the piano in the central concourse - i introduced her to IR and gave her the notations for punnagai mannan and thumbi vaa theme chords - she did play them for me though the PM theme was a duet and hence she cud play only one part - she might still remember those scores!

irir123
8th December 2009, 10:08 PM

ennena tracks reccomment panneengnnu therinjikkalaamaa :)

even though Madras pavilion is run by desis, the customers are diverse - they play 'yaarum thodatha' from ajantha, 'kannan vandhu' from RVaal kuruvi, "poogatru" from moondram pirai etc

last week i was a guest at a guitarist/yoga instructor couples home in a quaint little town called raymond, in washington state west coast (i was on vacation hiking in the mountains, and lots of hikers and bikers now know abt IR-))

this couple introduced me to all kinds of genres and then to impress me played some susheela iyer or raman's music thinking of 'fusion' - thats when i introduced them to IR! we ended up listening until 3AM ! one of their picks was 'poongatru' for its lush fusion - am paraphrasing their words - they simply loved the tabla/flute combo followed by the strings and the bass line that comes throughout the song!) - "what the heck ? 800 frigging films and noone here knows abt him ? tats crazy" - as soon as 'polla vinaiyen' ended, the guitarist husband exclaimed 'wow, that last part is a capella - very very nicely done with indian sounds'

after listening to IR, they were way too embarassed to play other cds which they thought were fusion and newage stuff !

the most embarassing part for me was when i cudnt tell them abt his cds availability online

i showed them couple of youtube links including raajaparvai bgm scenes - kamal playing the violin and madhavi clapping towards the end! - now they have a list of 'must-watch' films including 'hey ram, pushpak, sadma and salangai oli'

invariably i end up speaking abt kamal when i speak abt IR!!

Fliflo
9th December 2009, 12:02 AM
Paa Premier show Video

http://www.tubetamil.com/view_video.php?viewkey=7c00398f53e90a3714bd

Sanjeevi
9th December 2009, 12:07 AM
irir123 :thumbsup:

Sanjeevi
9th December 2009, 12:08 AM
http://www.boxofficeindia.com/npages.php?page=shownews&articleid=1327&nCat=news

ananth222
9th December 2009, 02:00 AM
invariably i end up speaking abt kamal when i speak abt IR!!so true!! hope marudhunayagam comes out as their crowning glory

kiru
9th December 2009, 04:12 AM
irir..as usual I have to go on record to emphasize what a passionate and productive person you are..
Here is another idea..
probably seen this presentation (?)
http://www.ted.com/talks/pranav_mistry_the_thrilling_potential_of_sixthsens e_technology.html

Now can we get IR to present in TED ? I suggest a topic like "story telling through music " or something like that.. IR can take a phrase ..show happiness..midly tweak it ..sad feeling etc. .or two people ..one westernized ..one indian meeting..play a western scale and an indian raaga equivalent in counterpoint..I am sure he will wow the audience and people will get to know a genius..

irir123
9th December 2009, 06:57 AM
kiru - imo, the best way now to pursue such an option is contact someone like balki and get things rolling - i can only do things to a certain extent - i have my limitations!

AravindMano
9th December 2009, 09:37 AM
"Paa"thutten! :D Konjamaachum puriyumaanu doubt-oda ponen, but, surprise surprise, Sathyam-la subtitle oda pottaanga :omg: :bluejump: (They are not playing for all shows, i heard. May be matiness, not sure)

First impression - average dhaan. The screenplay is so bad that, below average nu kooda sollalaam. But, There is a lot to read into the film, i think. Subtext kaNakka. Innoru thadava paakkaNum. Script wise nalla yosichurukkaaru, but execution not upto the mark.

Vidya Balan and Senoir Bachchan are the real stars of the film. Junior ok dhaan. Arundati Naag was very impressive too! If Amitabh suffers from Progeria Grigeria, all the roles suffer from poor writing!

PC Sreeram ku oru :2thumbsup: and Raja ku oru :2thumbsup: (Goosebumps when his name is announced in the credits by Jaya Bachchan, theatre la PC & Raja per announce paNNappo avLO claps :o :notworthy: )

Raja's BGM is great, enna pudhusaa. He perfectly captures the mood of the film. Second half la, when the whole film falls apart, his BGM-um konjam jaasthi-ya melodramatic.

Aaaah, to listen to Mudi Mudi at Sathyam :D

sivasub
9th December 2009, 03:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiIad3A2vfE

sivasub
9th December 2009, 03:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSN8Gv7s0eg

Fliflo
9th December 2009, 11:36 PM
Box Office Top 5

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/trade/top5/index.html

Fliflo
10th December 2009, 12:59 AM
Pa Lattest Review (posted Dec 11, 2009 ???)

http://www.screenindia.com/news/Paa--Hindi-/551977/

irir123
10th December 2009, 03:44 AM
http://www.screenindia.com/news/paa-underperforms-in-overseas-market/551894/

"'Paa' underperforms in overseas market"

irir123
10th December 2009, 03:59 AM
British tabloids trash "PAA"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/dec/04/paa-film-review

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/film_reviews/article6942549.ece

teja
10th December 2009, 11:12 AM
Paa - End Credits Theme track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSfgacoIudE

Shankar
10th December 2009, 11:32 AM
Madhan,
The guardian review is so superficial to begin with, but i've no complains...the only good thing the review talks about is the "touching song" :)

Sanjeevi
10th December 2009, 11:58 AM
irir123 and others, Actually I do listen and enjoy very well Om Shanti songs despite it is quite annoying. How? I change the Eq settings and bass settings to make the sounds nice to my ears :)

Plum
10th December 2009, 12:02 PM
irir123, whatever be the discussion here, Guardian and Times UK arent tabloids. About the only respectable newspapers I guess in UK, although Times now belongs to Murdoch and might have slipped down in quality since the times I used to read it while in London.

Sanjeevi
10th December 2009, 12:03 PM
irir123 and others, Actually I do listen and enjoy very well Om Shanti songs despite the synth usage is quite annoying. How? I change the Eq settings and bass settings to make the sounds nice to my ears :)

Hulkster
10th December 2009, 01:42 PM

Amazing, with the kaatu vazhi theme he has created a seamless variation which is so delightful to hear especially towards the end. :clap:

Thanks alot teja :D

Fliflo
10th December 2009, 10:29 PM
A UK based newspaper

http://www.harrowobserver.co.uk/west-london-news/west-london-columnists/2009/12/08/don-t-paass-on-one-of-the-year-s-best-113046-25347461/

Music maestro Illayaraja weaves his magic once again. The background score keeps playing in your head like an after-shock.

More than the soundtrack, it is the background score which comes out as a winner.

Fliflo
10th December 2009, 10:31 PM
Paa - Illayaraja jazzes up the aural experience - Music Check on 70 mm

http://www.radioandmusic.com/content/editorial/news/paa-ilayaraja-jazzes-aural-experience-music-check-70-mm

irir123
10th December 2009, 11:22 PM
A UK based newspaper

http://www.harrowobserver.co.uk/west-london-news/west-london-columnists/2009/12/08/don-t-paass-on-one-of-the-year-s-best-113046-25347461/

Music maestro Illayaraja weaves his magic once again. The background score keeps playing in your head like an after-shock.

More than the soundtrack, it is the background score which comes out as a winner.

UK based ok, but reviewed by a desi! i wont give them a big weightage, since they are not very good at looking at the nuances, but in the overall sense that IR is getting noticed, its good

its when someone like a Ty Burr or an Amy Biancolli (not even Roger Ebert, who is very generic in his reviews/critiques) review a film or its soundtrack, do they become objective!

vem
10th December 2009, 11:36 PM
bringing pathos/melancholy through his music and eventually loads of tears from the eyes of the audiences is nothing new for our Maestro. I have been moved so many times by his captivating music when IR brings emotions to the fore -

1. Poo Vizhi Vaasalile - As a 10 year old kid and with no one to talk about music in my family, I was just blown away with the sheer background when IR made me notice the power of BGM.

2. Udhiri Pookal - Particularly when Ashwini dies, oh boy ! the two children are orphaned and anyone in this world will cry their eyes out - same in Keladi Kanmani.....

3. Anjali - the climax...... spellbinding.

The list goes on and on - He can make us dance on our inside through his Gum Sum gum or Uravenum or Isai medayil type of compositions, whilst at the same time can just make us melt with his wizardry.

It is great to see his talents getting noticed everywhere ! Afterall, he cannot hide his light under a bushel anymore :)

Incidentally, I came to know that IR does music for Happy which has Pankaj Kapur who later signed IR for his own movie Mausam. May be he too got terribly impressed by our master.

app_engine
11th December 2009, 12:19 AM
Sudhish Kamath's take on pA :
http://beta.thehindu.com/arts/movies/article63132.ece

Ilaiyaraja haunts us with some of his familiar melodies and Balki relies on P. C. Sreeram's clever framing to hide Bachchan's height in many of the scenes.

sivasub
11th December 2009, 01:25 PM
http://in.movies.yahoo.com/news-detail/73686/Rajnikant-in-Tears-After-Seeing-PAA.html

thumburu
11th December 2009, 02:30 PM

Teja,
Thanks a lot for the "Paa" end-credits theme. The way Raja has worked around the "kaatu vazhi" base is awesome and spellbinding!!! Iam simply not inclined to hear any other song now

irir123
11th December 2009, 07:53 PM
http://www.mensxp.com/Article.aspx?id=2026

AURO and GOLLUM!!

irir123
11th December 2009, 08:01 PM
irir123, whatever be the discussion here, Guardian and Times UK arent tabloids. About the only respectable newspapers I guess in UK, although Times now belongs to Murdoch and might have slipped down in quality since the times I used to read it while in London.

thanks! i do understand that now - Guardian especially

sivasub
11th December 2009, 11:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPdacYT8t_0

Amitabh speech Chennai

sivasub
11th December 2009, 11:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8EN4EgjjoA&feature=related

IR speaking in chennai

app_engine
12th December 2009, 01:00 AM
digression

From a thread in IF section :

Bolly, here we come. (http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs043.snc3/13056_196415578354_784328354_3160509_6942155_n.jpg )

(got it from venki's FB page)

end-digression

app_engine
12th December 2009, 03:07 AM
"boast"modernism :

http://www.planetradiocity.com/musicreporter/news.php?newscatid=1&newsid=1747

இது என்ன நவீனத்துவமுங்க?

Well, I was in the Indian store collecting some items in the shopping cart and heard the pA theme sound. Surprised, looked around (after all this is not a TN bus or tea shop). Well, the big screen TV on the wall was playing a scene from the movie (school award) and a number of people were looking at AB curiously.

Possibly a pirated dvd as the kwality wasn't looking good but the storewala was still playing it!

Fliflo
12th December 2009, 06:16 AM
STAR India buys exclusive rights for Paa, Wanted

http://movies.rediff.com/report/2009/dec/11/star-india-buys-exclusive-rights-for-paa-wanted.htm

Fliflo
12th December 2009, 06:50 AM
Paa heads top 10 countdown

http://www.raaga.com/channels/hindi/top10.asp

rooky
12th December 2009, 11:16 AM
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/trade/top5/index.html

Paa grosses 16-17cr inopening week.Good going :)

Mahen
12th December 2009, 05:17 PM
Addicted to the theme of paa :notworthy: This is as good as Cheeni Kum's theme

app_engine
13th December 2009, 10:12 AM
BRangan on Balki :

Thanks to Balki, the rest of India knows now what we Tamils were celebrating in the latter half of the eighties, and all the way up to Roja.

http://www.expressbuzz.com/edition/story.aspx?Title=On+the+trail+of+mani&artid=lviDjVMEjtI=&SectionID=f4OberbKin4=&MainSectionID=f4OberbKin4=&SEO=&SectionName=cxWvYpmNp4fBHAeKn3LcnQ==

Quite an interesting article, calling Balki an EkalavyA (MR being the DhrOnAchAryA) :-)

K
13th December 2009, 03:16 PM
http://www.thenaali.com/thenaali.aspx?A=1451

PrakashRaj Speaks about PAA

rooky
13th December 2009, 07:00 PM
http://www.ibosnetwork.com/newsmanager/templates/template1.aspx?a=21909&z=4

PAA is officially a HIT now and may turn bigger in weeks to come.
the site, interestingly talks about run in south like in karnataka and Chennai where the movie is doing much better. (I guess its the IR factor here)

Fliflo
14th December 2009, 10:46 AM
Paa all set to enter the Guinness Book

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/news/2009/12/12/13562/index.html

Fliflo
14th December 2009, 11:14 AM
"I am in profits; I am very happy" - Abhishek Bachchan

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/bollywood/features/2009/abhishek-overwhelmed-paa-101209.html

Fliflo
14th December 2009, 09:06 PM
http://tonight.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=5286100&fSectionId=429&fSetId=251

latest review from a SA newspaper

Saagar
14th December 2009, 10:17 PM
Saw Paa at a theatre in Bandra, Mumbai. Defintely a milestone film.

The songs & the music is so well integrated as a part of the film. One thing that I definitely liked (after watching the film) that I failed to appreciate earlier was the lyrics. Swanand Kirkire has done a very good job. Simple but effective lyrics - and nothing that stands out very odd - another reason for some of IR's earlier Hindi films not doing well. Remember an interview with Sameer, where he had said after Cheeni Kum that IR had felt that many of his earlier songs did not click earlier due to lyrics thats stood out sorely & that Sameer's lyrics gelled best in Hindi for his music.

Balki's placement of songs was excellent. Right from Halke se Bole that went bang on to create goosebumps to the last one.

But could not hide my disappointment that Gum sum was not in full & Mere Paa appearing at the end credits. He could have definitely used them to the full. While my wife too complained, Just after Gum Sum, the ladies in the row in front of us, were also saying the same for Gum sum!

But on the whole, A must watch film , you cannot imagine the film being the same without any of the key people - Amitabh,Abhishek,Vidya, Balki,PC & Of course IR!

irir123
15th December 2009, 05:07 AM
http://tonight.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=5286100&fSectionId=429&fSetId=251

latest review from a SA newspaper

and not a word about music!

i can very well imagine what wud have been the fate of the music, had IR used it in some other nondescript film!

Fliflo
15th December 2009, 10:05 PM
http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/entertainment/working-with-ilaiyaraaja-was-the-high-point-of-my-career-shilpa-rao_100289403.html

Working with Ilaiyaraaja was the high point of my career -Shilpa Rao

app_engine
15th December 2009, 10:23 PM
[tscii:1b6a2ddff5]

But after the thrill of having Ilayaraja score music for a second film and some rave reviews for Paa, Balki’s on a new high and probably doesn’t need the beer, writes Shobhana Subramanian.

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/lunchbs-r-balakrishnan/379577/
[/tscii:1b6a2ddff5]

irir123
16th December 2009, 12:28 AM
http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?263251

"The film moves you in parts but stops short of being an overwhelmingly stirring experience. There are some jarring and tackily-handled scenes."

not a word abt the music, again!

app_engine
18th December 2009, 06:34 PM
Watched pA.

I loved the way songs are placed in the movie, helping to move the narrative rather than stalling it. My most preferred way. Also, there's no "lipping" the lines :-)

The best one is 'hulke sE bOlE' and it was goose pimple stuff for me with eyes swelling with tears, one great song finally found presence on-screen. That too at the beginning of the movie, also indicating that IR has got a "puththam puthukkAlai" north of vindhyAs :wink:

'mudhi, mudhi' (and the other two nice variants) are placed at appropriate places, helping to move the narrative beautifully. Serves as great BGM / OST as well.

'hichki-hichki' is kind of MR style but with much less effectiveness. Same goes for 'gum sum gum', ok but not so much effective.

Other than the songs as BGM themselves, on the music front, there wasn't much I could appreciate personally - average stuff from IR with the exception of the 'pA' theme ofcourse. Actually, even that theme somehow didn't stand out on the movie.

Except the confusing characters of Abhishek & Vidya, I liked all others. Ofcourse the big B is lovable and a commendable effort.

On the whole, an average movie, that could only raise on me, say, 10% of emotional 'pongal' of movies like anjali. May be that's the intention of the director (and he's quite successful in the north with this level). Personally, I'm quite fond of strong scenes (e.g. Appu walking dejected upon his mom's negative comments about his height) and felt that way only on the opening scene when 'hulke sE bOlE' was played. (And I've seen and appreciated an exhibit item similar to the winning one in the movie, in 1996 at NYC, talked about it to 100's of friends, and it's something close to my heart personally).

Well, I'm happy the songs are successful and IR got his second commercially hit movie in Hindi. Other than that, an average movie (though better than many TF movies I've seen in the last few years).

Sanjeevi
18th December 2009, 06:57 PM
So called AngGnani (credit: Charu) has written about Paa and praised IR.

I think you have already known about Cha-ni (credit : Gnani) has praised IR for Nandalala recently.

app_engine
18th December 2009, 07:06 PM
Sanjeevi :-)

இந்த ரெண்டு பெருமான்களுக்குள் இப்படி ஒரு ம்யூச்சுவல் அப்ரிஷியேஷன் இருக்குதா? நல்லா இருங்கய்யா :-)

app_engine
18th December 2009, 07:38 PM
[tscii:b1ec8e183d]sounds like a HCIRF :
http://www.indiawest.com/readmore.aspx?id=1662&sid=4

The production design stands out, as does the background score by Ilaiyaraja, along with his melodies, especially “Mudi mudi” and the sensitive title-track. Here is a true-blue composer at work and not a sound designer who gets nominated for international awards! With “Paa,” it’s all real. There is no VFX. The prosthetics that make Auro along with his make-up are the classic handiwork of Christien “Lord of the Rings” Tinsley and Dominie Till, and the songs and background score are composed from the heart and recorded live, and not assembled on keyboards from samplers and grooves.

[/tscii:b1ec8e183d]

app_engine
18th December 2009, 07:43 PM
Sounds like another HCIRF, writing on hindu's business line :

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/life/2009/12/18/stories/2009121850170400.htm

There is another unsaid complaint against the media in this film. One of the movie's highlights is the background score by the maestro Illayaraja. In fact, it is a million-dollar question whether any another music director could have brought out the emotions in the film so beautifully through the musical score. Isn't it a fact that the media has never given him his real due?

Actually, there are tons of IR's TFM scores that easily better this pA effort, on simply stirring up the emotions (apoorva sahOdhararkaL comes to mind immediately).

என்னவோ போங்க, எதுவுமே இந்தியில செஞ்சா தான் ஆங்கில மீடியா கண்டுக்கும் போலிருக்கு :?

Saagar
21st December 2009, 09:47 PM
[tscii:21cb2f1533]Paa to bring in some more…
IndiaGlitz [Monday, December 21, 2009]

The magic of much-acclaimed, ‘Paa’ is not over yet.

Director Balki is adding a few more scenes which were earlier did not find a place n the final version.
Amitabh Bachchan in his blog revealed this. He said “Director Balki wishes to put in three deleted scenes of the film back on to it. And I think we shall be talking to the channels and media about it. One of the refrains that floated by was that they had wished there was more of Auro in the film. Guess Balki heard that one and now wishes to execute it.”

Big B further penned that very soon the fresh scenes will find their way in the film, once the technicalities are over. The legendary star has even asked the readers to vote whether adding the scenes would be a good idea or not.

‘Paa’ is a landmark film by showing Amitabh Bachchan as a 13-yr old progeria patient and Abhishek Bachchan and Vidya Balan playing his parents.

------------------------------------------------------------

Hope it includes the full versions of the songs - Hope Balki gets to hear![/tscii:21cb2f1533]

Hulkster
22nd December 2009, 10:10 AM
[tscii:7578b77430]sounds like a HCIRF :

The production design stands out, as does the background score by Ilaiyaraja, along with his melodies, especially “Mudi mudi” and the sensitive title-track. Here is a true-blue composer at work and not a sound designer who gets nominated for international awards! With “Paa,” it’s all real. There is no VFX. The prosthetics that make Auro along with his make-up are the classic handiwork of Christien “Lord of the Rings” Tinsley and Dominie Till, and the songs and background score are composed from the heart and recorded live, and not assembled on keyboards from samplers and grooves.

[/tscii:7578b77430]

This one seems to be taking potshots at ARR and is actually showing fustration rather than a proper review of thalaivar's music. I think such reviews have to be avoided.

raagas
22nd December 2009, 02:06 PM
[tscii:00fdb3b879]sounds like a HCIRF :

The production design stands out, as does the background score by Ilaiyaraja, along with his melodies, especially “Mudi mudi” and the sensitive title-track. Here is a true-blue composer at work and not a sound designer who gets nominated for international awards! With “Paa,” it’s all real. and the songs and background score are composed from the heart and recorded live, and not assembled on keyboards from samplers and grooves.

[/tscii:00fdb3b879]

This one seems to be taking potshots at ARR and is actually showing fustration rather than a proper review of thalaivar's music. I think such reviews have to be avoided.

I agree Hulkster, Needless potshots.Also, it amuses me when some people, without much knowledge about how music these days is being done, say that it is all Live. I wonder what this reviewer will say, if IR himself says he did assemble some stuff using technology for Paa. I mean, agreed that IR is capable of Live recording but these days, albums like Paa (songs like Hichki Hichki, Gumsum) are not complete Live recordings.Everyone uses technology and cutting edge software.
I think lot of people have this myth that IR is complete Live oriented person.And ARR is complete synth oriented.The truth is that everyone does everything, with their own varying degree of strengths in each of the styles.
Above all, as i said,why does a reviewer need to run down another composer to glorify his favourite composer! so immature!

Fliflo
22nd December 2009, 09:57 PM
Buy Paa Sound Track from here

http://www.amazon.com/Paa-New-Hindi-Music-CD/dp/B002XAAENS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1261498957&sr=1-1

thumburu
1st January 2010, 11:15 PM
I simply loved the end credits theme shared by Teja . But I can't say the same with the songs. They sound too plastic to my comfort. May be I should not compare them with their originals. "Mudi Mudi" and "gumsum" have uber cool jazzy interludes