PDA

View Full Version : Horrendous moments of Indian Cricket

Sanguine Sridhar
9th March 2009, 04:08 PM
[tscii:db1e24615c]I was watching highlights of India Vs Zimbabwe worldcup ’99 match. India needed 253 to win. I think Sachin did not play as his father was expired. India was actually struggling in the first 10 overs though their start was good. Somehow Ramesh and Jadeja constructed the innings. Ramesh and Jadeja departed after a well made 55 and 43 respectively. Score was 174/5. Annan Agarkar scored just 1 and got out :twisted: and so it was 175/6. Robin Singh/Mongia played well and when Mongia got out the score was 219/7. At this point India required just 32 runs in 59 balls with 3 wickets in hand. Singh was out for 35 [246/8] to Olonga and that was the turning point. Srinath got out immediately; the score was 249/9. India required just 4 runs in 31 balls with 1 wicket in hand. Prasadham :evil: was out in the first ball. India was all out for 249. I still remember this match; it was played on my 18th birthday. Anushman was the coach was puffing the cigarette and watching all these things from the dressing room.
I was shocked and could not digest this embarrassing defeat for many days. Today morning it rekindled those memories.

This is the match I am talking about:

http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/WORLD_CUPS/WC99/SCORECARDS/GROUP-A/IND_ZIM_WC99_ODI8_19MAY1999.html

Can we discuss about the matches where India choked or played miserably?

I remember

- Last worldcup match against Bangladesh, Srilanka [New hubbers check the old worldcup thread it was hilarious :rotfl: ]
- 1996 worldcup semi finals against Srilanka.
[/tscii:db1e24615c]

crajkumar_be
9th March 2009, 04:25 PM
- Miandad vs Chetan Sharma at Sharjah (actually for some reason i was rooting for Miandad that day!)

- India vs Pakistan at Sharjah, 1991 (Aqib Javed got a hat-trick, all LBWs including Sashin). Had feigned illness at school to bunk

- India vs Australia, Gabba (Brisbane) 1992 - Srinath Sankatapathy Raju last ball finish

- India vs West Indies, Barbados (81 all out in the 2nd innings), 1996/97 - Sashin was the captain

- India vs Sri Lanka, grup match (Delhi), WC 1996. Manoj Kirubakaran bolwing spin! Enough said

- India vs Sri Lanka WC semifinal 1996. Cascade delete after Sashin's fall (61?) after which the wicket seemed to have morphed into a devil. No such indication while singam was at the crease. Vinod Kambli's azhugachi. Turned out to be a slight cause and excuse for my rather dismal show in the 12th std (Math/Physics/Chemistry) public exams :cry2:

- The biggest of them all - Sashin Tendulkar vs Pakistan at Chepauk, 1999 :notworthy: :notworthy:

Shakthiprabha.
9th March 2009, 04:28 PM
- Miandad vs Chetan Sharma at Sharjah (actually for some reason i was rooting for Miandad that day!)

Thats something most of us during that era WOULD NEVER EVER FORGET or forgive :grrr:

crajkumar_be
9th March 2009, 04:29 PM

Thats something most of us during that era WOULD NEVER EVER FORGET or forgive :grrr:
pavamga Chetan Sharma.. 2-3 years back interview la kooda polaminaaru.. innum avara mannikkave illa yaarume-nu.. :)

Vivasaayi
9th March 2009, 05:59 PM
sachin at chepak

joshi payapulla sixellam adichdhu...

it would had been rated amongst the top 10 best centuries if we had won....much better than lara vs aus

Ramakrishna
9th March 2009, 06:16 PM
[tscii]I was watching highlights of India Vs Zimbabwe worldcup ’99 match. India needed 253 to win. I think Sachin did not play as his father was expired. India was actually struggling in the first 10 overs though their start was good. Somehow Ramesh and Jadeja constructed the innings. Ramesh and Jadeja departed after a well made 55 and 43 respectively. Score was 174/5. Annan Agarkar scored just 1 and got out :twisted: and so it was 175/6. Robin Singh/Mongia played well and when Mongia got out the score was 219/7. At this point India required just 32 runs in 59 balls with 3 wickets in hand. Singh was out for 35 [246/8] to Olonga and that was the turning point. Srinath got out immediately; the score was 249/9. India required just 4 runs in 31 balls with 1 wicket in hand. Prasadham :evil: was out in the first ball. India was all out for 249. I still remember this match; it was played on my 18th birthday. Anushman was the coach was puffing the cigarette and watching all these things from the dressing room.
I was shocked and could not digest this embarrassing defeat for many days. Today morning it rekindled those memories.

http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/WORLD_CUPS/WC99/SCORECARDS/GROUP-A/IND_ZIM_WC99_ODI8_19MAY1999.html

Actually, it was a 46 over match.Thats y all the tension. :wink:

ajithfederer
9th March 2009, 07:15 PM
2007 waald kapp :lol: (Not tonty tonty :lol2: )

littlemaster1982
9th March 2009, 07:28 PM
sachin at chepak

it would had been rated amongst the top 10 best centuries if we had won....much better than lara vs aus

10 jaasthi. It should be one of the top 5. Our tailenders :banghead:

MADDY
9th March 2009, 07:38 PM
to me, 2 moments define sadness when it comes to BCCI cricket team:

1. Aus v India(BCCI) - 1992 world cup......i was watching it with 5-6 cousins of mine.....they all rooted for Aussies, i rooted for BCCI team.........and when kiran more hit 2-3 fours in last over i was jumping so much that i almost hit the ceiling.......but when he got bowled and Srinath/Raju goofed it up in last ball - i broke down completely.........i was unconsolable, i skipped lunch that day :lol:

2. Ind(BCCI) V SL 1996 world cup semi final - i again cried uncontrollably after the defeat........sachin;s herculean efforts went in vain........that was our best chance to win the world cup in last 4 attempts :(

littlemaster1982
9th March 2009, 07:45 PM
1. Aus v India(BCCI) - 1992 world cup......i was watching it with 5-6 cousins of mine.....they all rooted for Aussies, i rooted for BCCI team.........and when kiran more hit 2-3 fours in last over i was jumping so much that i almost hit the ceiling.......but when he got bowled and Srinath/Raju goofed it up in last ball - i broke down completely.........i was unconsolable, i skipped lunch that day :lol:

Naan paartha mudhal cricket match idhudhaan :oops:

ajithfederer
9th March 2009, 07:55 PM
Me too watched that match.

Naan paartha mudhal cricket match idhudhaan :oops:

ajithfederer
9th March 2009, 08:01 PM
What was the score when sachin got out ? Is it 254/7?

sachin at chepak

littlemaster1982
9th March 2009, 08:27 PM
Yes. India needed 17 more runs. And the last three batsmen scored 4 runs :banghead:

What was the score when sachin got out ? Is it 254/7?

sachin at chepak

Sanguine Sridhar
10th March 2009, 11:11 AM
Rams,

You are right, but that is not a valid reason if you ask me! Definitely Indian tailenders choked :evil:

Kalyasi
10th March 2009, 12:30 PM
[tscii]I was watching highlights of India Vs Zimbabwe worldcup ’99 match. India needed 253 to win. I think Sachin did not play as his father was expired. India was actually struggling in the first 10 overs though their start was good. Somehow Ramesh and Jadeja constructed the innings. Ramesh and Jadeja departed after a well made 55 and 43 respectively. Score was 174/5. Annan Agarkar scored just 1 and got out :twisted: and so it was 175/6. Robin Singh/Mongia played well and when Mongia got out the score was 219/7. At this point India required just 32 runs in 59 balls with 3 wickets in hand. Singh was out for 35 [246/8] to Olonga and that was the turning point. Srinath got out immediately; the score was 249/9. India required just 4 runs in 31 balls with 1 wicket in hand. Prasadham :evil: was out in the first ball. India was all out for 249. I still remember this match; it was played on my 18th birthday. Anushman was the coach was puffing the cigarette and watching all these things from the dressing room.

It was not a 46 over match... India's poor over rate meant India wud have only 46 overs to chase the target....

sgokulprathap
10th March 2009, 12:52 PM

It was not a 46 over match... India's poor over rate meant India wud have only 46 overs to chase the target....
Poor over rate is mainly due to this 51 extra runs.
Extras (lb 14, w 21, nb 16) 51

Unlike the present rules (if the over rate is poor, captain and/or the team members fee will be partially penalised), in those days if the over rate is poor for team fielding first, they have to chase in lesser number of overs. But if the over rate for team fielding second is poor, they can escape without over loss. :|

Look at the extras bowled by Zimbabwe.
Extras (b 1, lb 4, w 24, nb 10) 39
I am sure Zimbabwe's over rate was also very poor, but still they had the advantage of fielding 2nd.

19thmay
9th November 2009, 04:14 PM
New Entry - 175 by the master but still we lost

sivank
30th November 2009, 03:24 PM
There is a match played by India in 1974 (Lords) where they scored 42 for all out in 17 overs.

Here is a report from Pratab Ramchand which he wrote on 2000 after 26 years of this debacle:

Twenty six years! And somehow I remember that day as if it was only yesterday. India were touring England and had lost the first Test by 113 runs. But it was not the kind of defeat to press panic buttons as England were home only in the mandatory overs. In the second Test however things started to go radically wrong. Over the first two days England rattled up 629, their highest total at Lord's, their highest in all post war Tests and their highest against India. The famed spin trio had finally been mastered.

Still there was hope for the Indian batting was quite formidable - Gavaskar, Engineer, Wadekar, Viswanath, Brijesh Patel, Solkar, Abid Ali and Madanlal. By the end of the third day, however India had been bowled out for 302 and following on 327 runs behind, were two for no loss at stumps.

Sunday intervened and talk generally centered around the possibility of an Indian fightback. The wicket was good, the batting was strong and there was nothing in the England bowling line up - Arnold, Old, Greig, Hendrick and Underwood - to suggest that victory could be easily achieved. This was the background as Monday, June 24, 1974 dawned.

I remember the events vividly. I was on night shift for the newspaper I worked on and at 4 pm IST, I turned on my transistor to listen to the BBC commentary. Gavaskar and Engineer resumed the Indian second innings and as Arnold and Old started operations, I must have dozed off. About half an hour later, the crowd's roar which came through the radio loud and clear must have woken up and I heard the commentator say ``and that makes India 25 for five.'' Disbelieving what I had just heard, I rubbed my eyes and cleaned my ears. But I was already awake and there was nothing wrong with my hearing. For the commentator repeated the score and said that Abid Ali was walking out to join Solkar.

Abid Ali? Solkar? Whatever had happened to Gavaskar, Engineer, Wadekar, Viswanath and Patel inside little more than half an hour? Well, actually they had all been out. Arnold had dismissed Gavaskar, Engineer, Viswanath and Patel while Old had bowled Wadekar. It was the crowd's reaction to Viswanath's dismissal that had woken me up from my slumber. In absolute amazement, almost not believing what I was hearing, I listened to the commentary as the collapse continued unabated.

Abid Ali was out to Old. India 28 for six. Madanlal was then out in the same over as I recall. Thirty for seven. Solkar was as usual holding one end up but what was the use? Old bowled Prasanna and Bedi in the same over. Forty two for eight. Forty two for nine. Chandrasekhar, injured while bowling, was in no position to bat. Did it really matter? In just 77 minutes and off 17 overs, India were shot out for 42 with Solkar unbeaten on 18, the lone man to reach double figures. It was India's lowest total in Test cricket and the lowest in all Test matches at Lord's. And England, victorious by an innings and 285 runs, had won by their second largest margin of victory in all Tests, the end coming with shattering suddenness at 12.39 pm on the fourth morning.

The commentators, all experienced hands at the game, themselves were amazed at the events of the morning. I had still not fully comprehended the full impact of the defeat - which incidentally meant that England had regained the rubber - but I remember phoning up a few friends to discuss what had happened - as if to confirm that the match was indeed over. When I went to the office later that evening, the collapse was understandably the only topic that held everyone's attention. We planned on how to feature the shocking events, carried photographs of Old (5 for 21) and Arnold (4 for 19) with a separate boxed feature on the fall of each wicket. One way or another, it was a day to remember. After all, it is not just the glorious moments that one recalls. Some disastrous events also stay in one's memory - whether one likes it or not. And that just about sums up the events of that unforgettable morning (or evening) which became christened over the years as the summer of 42.

steveaustin
30th November 2009, 08:19 PM
As far as I am concerned, there cannot be a more one-sided final in the history of World cricket than the coca cola cup at Sharjah. I think the Coca cola cup tournament was held somewhere around 2000. In the final, on a pitch easy neither for stroke-making nor for blasting out the opposition, Jayasurya pummelled India all over the park when Srilanka were on the ropes. Later India caved in like a boxing match was won before any punches. Captain Jayasurya single-handedly destroyed the Indians under high pressure. On that day, he asserted that attack is the best form of defence. It was a breathtaking match winning innings when the Srilankan innings drifted into doldrums. That was a sizzling knock from “Marauder of Motera". The Marauder has toyed with the Indian bowling in the later stages of the match particularly Venkatesh Prasad ran out of ideas was still fresh in my memory. It was the innings that shattered the self-belief of Indians. Srilanka scored 300 runs of which the Man from Motera scored 189 runs. His partnership with Arnold influenced the Srilankans to post a high total. It was a Captain's knock and the knock should have taught many how to lead from front and how to finish the match on the winning side.

Then India came into bat. Now it was Vaas' turn. Within the blink of an eye, he simply removed both the openers, who were one of the greatest pair in international cricket scored single digit runs between them and let the team down on big occasion. Vass ripped apart the top order and became five star and for his part, Murali became three star by destroying the middle order. Finally India scored just 50 odd runs and lose by biggest margin something around 250 runs. For India, only one reached double figures with the bat and he was Robin Singh. Even school children would have played more sensibly on that day.

At the end, it is obvious that it was a match between Real Tiger Vs Paper Tiger.

19thmay
1st December 2009, 04:21 PM
Steve,

I was travelling to my native on that day. I did not watch the Indian innings. Next day I asked about the match to my cousin.
He said

"54 run-ku out aaitaanga"

"Yaaru, Sachin-a?"

"Illa, total-a, ellarume!"

I was :rotfl2:

Scorecard

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/65900.html

Plum
1st December 2009, 04:44 PM
The worst ever was when the match fixing scandal broke ofcourse.
But the corollary is more damaging - when you watch re-runs of matches with Sachin's captaincy, there are so many ouch moments, involving the likes of Azhar and jadeja, where you realise that it is not lack of talent but malafide intent that caused them to perform as they did. It just makes any discussion on Sachin's captaincy null and void.

steveaustin
1st December 2009, 05:07 PM
He said

"54 run-ku out aaitaanga"

"Yaaru, Sachin-a?"

"Illa, total-a, ellarume!"

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Sri,

You are really lucky. Even today, that loss is too hard to digest.