PDA

View Full Version : 10 to 70 - News & Updates on Surya

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

NOV
30th March 2009, 08:31 AM
[html:4e64cb649d]
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/Suryasivakumar.jpg
[/html:4e64cb649d]

Saravanan "Surya" Sivakumar (Tamil: சரவணன் "சூர்யா" சிவகுமார்) was born on July 23, 1975 and has won several awards and critical acclaims for various roles. He is the son of Tamil actor Sivakumar and is married to Jyothika Saravanan, a popular former Tamil actress. He is well-known for his versatile roles in various films. He starred in several noted films such as Nandha, Kaakha Kaakha, Ghajini, Perazhagan, Pithamagan and Vaaranam Aayiram.

Surya was born to the renowned veteran Tamil actor Sivakumar. He is the eldest of three children, younger brother being the award-winning actor Karthik Sivakumar and a younger sister named Brindha Sivakumar.

He went to the Prestigious St. Bede's School in Chennai. He graduated from Loyola College with a Bachelor of Commerce degree and worked for a few years in the garment industry, before foraying into the film industry.

source: Wikipedia

NOV
30th March 2009, 08:37 AM
[tscii]
His debut film, Nerrukku Ner (1997) with Vijay was a big hit but all his succeeding films did not do well. His first reasonable success was in the movie with Vijay, Friends. But he did not get any big breaks and his career seemed to be stalled until director Bala approached him for a role in his next venture titled Nandha, which eventually became his first critically acclaimed film and earning him a Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actor.

Surya’s next venture was with Vikraman in the movie Unnai Ninaithu and the movie was able to record good collections. This was followed by Mounam Pesiyadhe which also did decently well.

Surya’s second blockbuster was Kaaka Kaaka, a movie about the life of a police officer. The film grossed almost 100 million at the box office. This movie raised the profile of Surya tremendously and made him a huge star overnight. This was also the movie that fueled intense speculation of his relationship with fellow co-star Jyothika. This was partly due to the strength of the screen chemistry shared by both of them on screen.

Also Pithamagan alongside Vikram was a big hit, in which Surya was appreciated for playing a happy-go-lucky village guy and thus proving his skills as a comedian too.

In the movie Perazhagan, Surya acted in two roles, one as a boxer and the other as a handicapped but a confident phone booth keeper. His role as the handicapped was praised by critics, and he received a Filmfare Award for Best Actor for his performance.

His role in Aayitha Ezhuthu as a student leader was also favoured by the critics.

In 2005, Surya delivered more successful films in the form of Aaru and Ghajini - afterwards he set up a production company called Studio Green which distributed the movie in the Chennai district. Ghajini was one of the most sensational hits of 2005, with Surya playing a short term memory loss patient, for which he even tonsured his head.

Surya's 2006 release was N. Krishna's Sillunu Oru Kaadhal. He acted opposite his real-life partner Jyothika in the film. The film was an average grosser.The songs from the movie became a bigger hit than the movie itself. In 2007, Surya's solitary release was Vel.

His latest film was the critically acclaimed Vaaranam Aayiram, another venture with Gautham Menon, released on November 14, 2008 and became a blockbuster receiving a large reception.

Surya's next film is Ayan directed by K. V. Anand, expected to be released in 2009.

Following Ayan, Surya will be casted in Aadhavan directed by K. S. Ravikumar, followed by Singam directed by Hari, who directs Surya for the third time. Surya will also be acting in a film titled Mugamoodi, which is expected to be a superhero film.

NOV
30th March 2009, 08:53 AM
[html:0980af2f1b]
http://im.rediff.com/movies/2008/aug/12first.jpg
[/html:0980af2f1b]

Surya married actress Jyothika Saravanan on September 11, 2006 in a star-studded, traditional wedding ceremony at the Park Sheraton Hotel in Chennai. The couple is widely recognized as an extremely popular celebrity couple in South India.

On August 10, 2007 they were blessed with a daughter by the name Diya.

NOV
30th March 2009, 09:13 AM
AWARDS

Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actor in Nandha (2002)

Filmfare Award for Best Actor in Perazhagan (2005)

Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor in Pithamagan (2003)

Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actor in Ghajini (2006)

Kalaimamani Award

Reliance Mobile Vijay Awards for Icon of the Year (2007)

NOV
30th March 2009, 09:23 AM
FILMOGRAPHY

1997 - Nerrukku Ner (Surya)

1998 - Kaadhale Nimmadhi (Chandru)
Sandhippoma (Surya)

1999 - Periyanna (Surya)
Poovellam Kettuppar (Krishna)

2000 - Uyirile Kalanthathu (Surya

2001 - Friends (Chandru)
Nandha (Nandha) Winner: Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actor

2002 - Unnai Ninaithu (Surya)
Shree (Shree)
Mounam Pesiyadhe (Gautham)

2003 - Kaakha Kaakha (Anbuselvan)
Pithamagan (Sakthi) Winner: Filmfare Best Tamil Supporting Actor Award

2004 - Perazhagan (Karthik, Chinna) Winner: Filmfare Best Tamil Actor Award
Aayitha Ezhuthu (Michael)

2005 - Maayavi (Balayya)
Ghajini - (Sanjay Ramasamy) Winner: Tamil Nadu State Film Special Award for Best Actor
Aaru (Aaru)
June R (Raja) Guest appearance

2006 - Sillunu Oru Kaadhal (Gautham)

2007 Vel (Vetrivel, Vasudevan)

2008 - Kuselan (Himself) Cameo appearance
Vaaranam Aayiram (Krishnan, Surya)

2009 - Ayan (Deva) Releasing April 3rd
Aadhavan Filming
Mugamoodi Announced
Singam Announced

NOV
30th March 2009, 11:52 AM
The current Top 10 Versatile Actors

at no. 2 is Surya, after only Kamalahasan

No one doubts his abilities to pull off any character at present. Suriya has done enough variety in his career to dispel all doubts.The best example is perhaps the dual roles in Vaaranam Aayiram. It was not just a routine father-son double act, all the subtleties in looks and body language were brought out to near perfection; there were close to 10 different looks in the film, each of them stayed in our mind.

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movies-slide-shows/movie-3/versatile-actors/suriya.html

ThalaNass
30th March 2009, 11:57 AM
Surya vin teevira bakthar NOV :notworthy: :lol2:

Good luck for Ayan.. Surya rocks!!

Sourav
30th March 2009, 11:59 AM
voted for pithamagan.... 8-)

P_R
30th March 2009, 11:59 AM
Just notice that in about half the films they don't bother naming him and just call him Surya :lol2:

P_R
30th March 2009, 12:00 PM
PithAmagan-kku nirayA votes vizhumnu theriyum... hence voted for mAyAvi

NOV
30th March 2009, 12:03 PM
Just notice that in about half the films they don't bother naming him and just call him Surya ::yeah, his characters seem to be surya, krishnan and gautam :lol:

nassar, :notthatway: I dont adulate ppl; just that there seems to be a positive sign....

ThalaNass
30th March 2009, 12:04 PM
NOV :D ok, was just kidding!

Voted for Mounam Pesiyadhey.. :)

viraajan
30th March 2009, 12:05 PM
Voted for Varanam Aayiram. Phenomenal performance :bow:

Shined well in all the incarnations in this movie :bow: Dad, College goer, kiddo ;) :thumbsup:

Why is "Shri" missing in the list ? :lol2::yessir:

ThalaNass
30th March 2009, 12:06 PM
Anyone watched Surya's interview on Sun Music yesterday..? Missed it :neutral:

littlemaster1982
30th March 2009, 12:31 PM
PithAmagan-kku nirayA votes vizhumnu theriyum... hence voted for mAyAvi

I voted for Mayaavi too. His imitation of 'Megam Karukkudhu' Jyothika :rotfl: :rotfl:

Vivasaayi
30th March 2009, 01:06 PM
Another loyal member of Surya fan club

:yes:

dell_gt
30th March 2009, 01:13 PM
voted for Varanam Aiyiram :)... good performance...

crajkumar_be
30th March 2009, 02:29 PM
Hd to choose between Mayavi and VA, voted for VA (Phone booth scene and anjala song)

Actually i can risk watching Mayavi (parts) again for his performance!

NOV
30th March 2009, 02:33 PM
OK guys, what do you think of this comment:
Surya is Mom & Pops actor. He is safe, secure, no police records actor. He is the dude you want to bring home and your parents will not worry if the cutleries are going to go missing.

In short, he is not risky, will avoid risque (heard he didn't want to be too intimate in Varanam Ayiram) and we are not going to see anything original in him. He is the Siva Kumar of our generation, the kind of actor, when in conversation during tea time, you go, "He is a good actor", and everyone goes, "yeah, yeah, he is, he is indeed", and silence. No debates, no introspective on the layers of performances he has given, no retrospective revision of past bad performances.

As mentioned before, he "acts". He does not throw himself into the role, to the point that it either moves us or even embarasses us. He is there, like a recently erected monument that may or may not be there. He has some use but how long, who knows?

Surya is a stand in. The risky stuff he did has been done before. Hunchback? That is Malayalam remake. Pithamagan? Only, because Vikram is inferior to him. Varanam Ayiram? I don't know, because he was never impressive earlier in the first place.

groucho070
30th March 2009, 02:38 PM
Hehe, NOV. May I know who wrote that? Where was this found? :P

crajkumar_be
30th March 2009, 02:39 PM
Thats unmistakably Groucho :)

NOV
30th March 2009, 02:40 PM
Hehe, NOV. May I know who wrote that? Where was this found? :PWhat a pleasant surprise to see you here. :cheer:

Well, everything's open for discussion, as long as it is not deragatory. We must live with differences. ;)

Vivasaayi
30th March 2009, 02:41 PM
Surya is Mom & Pops actor. He is safe, secure, no police records actor. He is the dude you want to bring home and your parents will not worry if the cutleries are going to go missing.

In short, he is not risky, will avoid risque (heard he didn't want to be too intimate in Varanam Ayiram) and we are not going to see anything original in him. He is the Siva Kumar of our generation, the kind of actor, when in conversation during tea time, you go, "He is a good actor", and everyone goes, "yeah, yeah, he is, he is indeed", and silence. No debates, no introspective on the layers of performances he has given, no retrospective revision of past bad performances.

As mentioned before, he "acts". He does not throw himself into the role, to the point that it either moves us or even embarasses us. He is there, like a recently erected monument that may or may not be there. He has some use but how long, who knows?

Surya is a stand in. The risky stuff he did has been done before. Hunchback? That is Malayalam remake. Pithamagan? Only, because Vikram is inferior to him. Varanam Ayiram? I don't know, because he was never impressive earlier in the first place.

yaar andha aaraichiyalar????...deep-a analyse pannirukaru!!!(sorry groucho -this was written before knowing it was u...i thought someone from the other camp...hehe)

surya chocolate hero moms hero,pops hero apdinu soldradhu - a sort of "ULKUTHU" - its normally from the sides of other younger generation actors vavutheruchal,porama etsa etsa etsa - as he is having the fans among both the guys and girls and uncles and sunties.

he "acts" -pinna kaasu vangitu nadikama irukak mudiyuma?...mathavanga maadhiri

DOesnot throw himself into the rolea?.... apdina :confused2:

groucho070
30th March 2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks NOV. Always obliged to join healthy discussion.

My correction-ya

As mentioned before, he "acts". He does not throw himself into the role, to the point that it either moves us or even embarasses us. He is there, like a recently erected monument that may or may not be needed there. He has some use but how long, who knows?

Ignore the other typos and grammatical mishtakes.

NOV
30th March 2009, 02:46 PM
yaar andha aaraichiyalar????adhu mukkiyammillai, message thaan mukkiyam.

I quite disagree with the points in the message as I believe Surya has grown from film to film. See his first and VA and you can gauge the immense growth in his skills.

As for doing what others have done, that statement will fit anyone. You only have one Kamal and one Sivaji. Who knows what is there in future?

After Kamal, its only Surya who is holding my attention for now.

Vivasaayi
30th March 2009, 02:50 PM
yaar andha aaraichiyalar????adhu mukkiyammillai, message thaan mukkiyam.

I quite disagree with the points in the message as I believe Surya has grown from film to film. See his first and VA and you can gauge the immense growth in his skills.

As for doing what others have done, that statement will fit anyone. You only have one Kamal and one Sivaji. Who knows what is there in future?

After Kamal, its only Surya who is holding my attention for now.

Not just urs

Vivasaayi
30th March 2009, 02:54 PM

Why should an actor do a risky stuff?[yarume idhu varai panna muyarchi pannadha types]

Roshan
30th March 2009, 03:33 PM
Hd to choose between Mayavi and VA, voted for VA (Phone booth scene and anjala song)

Same here - poll'a pArtha udana click aanathu MayavithAn and got interrupted by VA. Aazhntha sinthanaikku pin - voted for Mayavi. His performance in Mayavi changed my perceptions about him completely and he has not disappointed me since then.

I cannot imagine any contemporaries in Mayavi or Pithamagan other than Surya. For that matter even in VA. Ennudaiya thaazhmaiyAna apiprAyam.

Vivasaayi
30th March 2009, 07:59 PM
Surya is perhaps the only hero who could be seen as a complete package.

romance,comedy,action,sentiment and tolerable even in masala movies.

And he can be funny and romantic both like sanjay ramaswamy and sakthi or balayya - some of them could have done sanjay ramaswamy even better but they could never have did sakthi or balayya like surya IMO.

And Mounam pesiyadhe and nandha - quite unromantic,unchocolatey and angry young man roles .

He could be charming and chocolatey like varanam aayiram (young surya)

Can do eccentric roles like gajni without making the audience squirm n the chair.

Regarding surya not coming out of comfort zone

There are lots of comfort zones for him as I have mentioned above - so its hard for people to expect him to come ou of the comfort zone which he did in varanam aayiram - the only guy who had the guts to do an oldie.

And whenever he came out of his comfort zone in his career - people dint have the feeling that he was actually out of his comfort zone as he pulled it off quite convincingly.

joe
30th March 2009, 08:13 PM
நந்தா -வுக்கு முன்னால நானெல்லாம் "இந்த சிவகுமார் பையன் தேறுறது ரொம்ப கஷ்டம்" -னு நினைச்சேன் .ஆனால் இப்போ சூர்யா இந்த அளவுக்கு வந்து நிக்குறதுக்கு அவர் கடின உழைப்பும் ,சாதிக்கணும் என்ற ஆர்வமும் தான் காரணம்.

complicateur
30th March 2009, 08:13 PM
I actually enjoyed the somewhat subdued performance [except for the song and dance portions - especially AdAtha AttamellAm] in Mounam PEsiyathE. So athukku oru vote.

Vivasaayi
30th March 2009, 08:18 PM
நந்தா -வுக்கு முன்னால நானெல்லாம் "இந்த சிவகுமார் பையன் தேறுறது ரொம்ப கஷ்டம்" -னு நினைச்சேன் .ஆனால் இப்போ சூர்யா இந்த அளவுக்கு வந்து நிக்குறதுக்கு அவர் கடின உழைப்பும் ,சாதிக்கணும் என்ற ஆர்வமும் தான் காரணம்.

The path he chosen is the main reason.He infact doesnt use any titles for him inspite of being among the top 4.

complicateur
30th March 2009, 08:54 PM
He infact doesnt use any titles for him inspite of being among the top 4.
This, in and of itself, has become the placeholder for the absent title. It's quite the PR (not Prabhu Ram) master-stroke I must say.

littlemaster1982
30th March 2009, 08:59 PM
Surya is a misfit in masala films. Watched a few scenes from Vel last week and he was so embarassingly bad in that.

He is not yet there to be talked in the same breath of Sivaji & Kamal.

Plum
30th March 2009, 09:03 PM
This, in and of itself, has become the placeholder for the absent title. It's quite the PR (not Prabhu Ram) master-stroke I must say.
Well, I am not sure. I am surprised complicateur takes such a cynical view!

Plum
30th March 2009, 09:03 PM
I dont want to make comparisons between Surya and others. But Surya makes me watch movies like Vel, if only on television.

P_R
30th March 2009, 09:10 PM
I was driving by T-Nagar this evening and saw a board that said manitha nEyan SuryA raigar manRam. (naanga mattum peNgaLai enna naayaava madhikkiROm) EdhAchchu oru title kuduththE theervainga pOla...

joe
30th March 2009, 09:11 PM
I dont want to make comparisons between Surya and others. But Surya makes me watch movies like Vel, if only on television.

Missed to add "..with useful remote on hand" ? :lol:

Plum
30th March 2009, 09:19 PM
Joe, :-)
The salient point is others are not afforded even that opportunity :-)

complicateur
30th March 2009, 09:27 PM
Well, I am not sure. I am surprised complicateur takes such a cynical view!en kErettarayE purinjikka mAtturIngaLE! It isnt so much cynicism as fatigue associated with his over-exposure. His interviews point to him being more of an emotional actor than a cerebral one. In the words of Seinfeld - "Not that there's anything wrong with that".

Plum
30th March 2009, 09:34 PM
Compli, I'm not sure about him being more emotional than cerebral - unless you meant it as 'not cerebral enough'. Moments in Perazhagan where he re-channels Ghajini with head-twisting etc for Karthik, who has lost his mind after the death of Priya, are so obviously affected that uh, I can see where some of the criticism here is valid. Which then tells me that that performance didnt so much come from the heart as from the brain, and whats less, even turned out to be embarassingly obvious about that.

Coming back to your keratter, I just meant that he might genuinely be not interested in titles - doesnt look like fishing for compliments when he does that modesty thing in his interviews - saw more of matter-of-fact-ness. As you know, I have argued against this being a factor in evaluating an artiste so if I am saying this, it is not as an argument for his quality as an artiste.

sarna_blr
30th March 2009, 09:35 PM
His debut film, Nerrukku Ner (1997) with Vijay was a big hit

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Vivasaayi
30th March 2009, 09:39 PM
Surya is a misfit in masala films. Watched a few scenes from Vel last week and he was so embarassingly bad in that.

He is not yet there to be talked in the same breath of Sivaji & Kamal.

when did shivaji do masala movies - his black and white movies are mostly family dramas,historical movies and comedies - with rightly placed songs and without unnecessary fight or dance.

Its the genre that developed in the 80's and I wish its not something mandatory to take the mantle of kamal because kamals forefather dint hold that when he was at peak.

HonestRaj
30th March 2009, 10:06 PM
Viv,

Haven't seen M&M's masalas. But their bad films can easily be overlooked given their good performances.

Surya is good in good roles, not great. Idhukku mela eppadi solradhunnu theriyala.

Master.. nan sonnene.. kadhai nayagan & kadha nayagan :)

Oru mokkai padatha avanoda fan strength vechu hit kudukkuravanthan "hero" ....... others are "actors"

Vivasaayi
30th March 2009, 10:11 PM
Surya looks little bit tired - effect of six packs work out?

littlemaster1982
30th March 2009, 10:33 PM
HR,

Kadaisila neenga same side goal pottutteenga :evil:

HonestRaj
30th March 2009, 10:36 PM
HR,

Kadaisila neenga same side goal pottutteenga :evil:

"irudi kodalla goal poduraen" (indian)

illai.. neenga sonnadhuthan.. he is good under good directors.. avlothan... sree eppadi :huh:

as i said in captain's thread.. annan 6 pack ellam vechathan konjamavadhu velaikku aavuthu.. ..

ippo nan kelambavendiya neram vandhachu.. c u next time.. until then. Raj.. HonestRaj 8-) :)

Vivasaayi
30th March 2009, 10:38 PM
HR,

Kadaisila neenga same side goal pottutteenga

illai.. neenga sonnadhuthan.. he is good under good directors.. avlothan... sree eppadi :huh:

as i said in captain's thread.. annan 6 pack ellam vechathan konjamavadhu velaikku aavuthu

ood directorta nadichalum - nadikaradhu ivaruthana!!!

6 packs oru padathula vecharu..odaneeeeee!

sarna_blr
30th March 2009, 10:39 PM
he is OK under very good directors.. avlothan...

Nandha & PM :P

Ramakrishna
30th March 2009, 10:39 PM
HR,

Kadaisila neenga same side goal pottutteenga

as i said in captain's thread.. annan 6 pack ellam vechathan konjamavadhu velaikku aavuthu

ood directorta nadichalum - nadikaradhu ivaruthana!!!

6 packs oru padathula vecharu..odaneeeeee!

athaane..Nandha, Kaakha Kaakha, Gajini, Pithamagan la ellaam six pack illaye

Vivasaayi
30th March 2009, 10:40 PM
PMla just OKvaaa?

comedy ippo irukara heroesla ethana peruku panna theriyum...i mean intentional comedy.

littlemaster1982
30th March 2009, 10:43 PM
PMla just OKvaaa?

comedy ippo irukara heroesla ethana peruku panna theriyum...i mean intentional comedy.

Viv :lol:

I also think he is funnier in Mayaavi than in Pithamagan. Not that he was bad in PM.

Vivasaayi
30th March 2009, 10:44 PM
PMla just OKvaaa?

I also think he is funnier in Mayaavi than in Pithamagan. Not that he was bad in PM.

Mayavi is FUNNIER :)

littlemaster1982
30th March 2009, 10:45 PM
PMla just OKvaaa?

Mayavi is FUNNIER :)

Neenga endha meaning-la solreenga-nu puriyalaiye :confused2:

Vivasaayi
30th March 2009, 10:46 PM
nesamathanga..mayavi is more enjoyable ...

Nerd
30th March 2009, 10:48 PM
His acting was very good in PM, no two ways about it. But the humor has faded, I must say. He did not do a Kamal/Rajini there whose comedies have stood the test of time.

crajkumar_be
30th March 2009, 10:51 PM
Actually Mayavi is underrated. Padam soora mokkai-ngaradhunala his performance went unnoticed...

crajkumar_be
30th March 2009, 10:54 PM

Idhellam matter-e illa HR

Everybody including Kamal has done crap. If someone says Surya is a good actor among his contemporaries obviously they dont mean "Sree".

And adhu enna argument, good director irundha dhaan... good directors irundhum ethana peru nalla nadikkaraanga?

Nerd
30th March 2009, 10:57 PM
RK, theriyalai. I have seen the film only once and I thought he was good and I liked him better in anbE sivan actually (comedy). Have not seen mayavi :oops:

Vivasaayi
31st March 2009, 07:24 AM
ayan on first day in sathyam- ticet kidachiduthu!!!! :)

Thirumaran
31st March 2009, 11:45 PM
Let us try to stick to Surya.. :lol2:

Ramakrishna
31st March 2009, 11:46 PM
naan Ayan eppo release-nu kaetta post kooda anga pottutteenglaa :x

Vivasaayi
31st March 2009, 11:47 PM
So he is the successor of kamal?..I think many would agree

:mrgreen:

Thirumaran
31st March 2009, 11:50 PM
naan Ayan eppo release-nu kaetta post kooda anga pottutteenglaa :x

oh vada poachaa :( ... athu maathiri irunthaa sollunga.. appuram eduthu inga poadalaam :P

Thirumaran
31st March 2009, 11:58 PM

I agree .. If people dont agree and a debate is needed on that we can open the locked thread for some more time :wink: :oops:

Thirumaran
1st April 2009, 12:01 AM
For increasing the thread size and my posts count, one info...

I voted for Vaaranam Aayiram :victory:

Ramakrishna
1st April 2009, 12:02 AM

I agree .. If people dont agree and a debate is needed on that we can open the locked thread for some more time :wink: :oops:

Chummaa open panni vidunga...Thamaasa paakkalaam.

cancer
1st April 2009, 12:13 AM

never.. no one can..

Thirumaran
1st April 2009, 12:19 AM

never.. no one can..

ithuvum vaasthavamaana paechuthaan :P

complicateur
1st April 2009, 12:21 AM
In calculus one must prove differentiability before actually differentiating. Similarly with Kamal - One must examine the possibility of the existence of a successor . We may discuss acceding the mantle to someone else after that.
It might be more beneficial to Surya to just chart his own path. '[i]Cup-mandil' paththi ellAm pEsunA appuram 'ennaNNE odachchu puttInga' Avurathukku chances athigam.

cancer
1st April 2009, 12:26 AM
even in just acting dept. surya yet to prove that he is the successor of kamal .

camman ya, ithu varaikkum appdi perusa avaru ethuvum saaathikkala.
seitha kaariyathai ozhunga seithirukkar ambuttuthan.. :thumbsup:

Thirumaran
1st April 2009, 12:29 AM
even in just acting dept. surya yet to prove that he is the successor of kamal .

That is the beginning :wink: Long way to go.. On the right way i suppose :P

cancer
1st April 2009, 12:33 AM

That is the beginning :wink: Long way to go.. On the right way i suppose :P

illa.. thappu.. thappu kottellam azhinga. tirumba sollunga .. eppadi ritu way ?

Thirumaran
1st April 2009, 12:40 AM
en avatar paarunga.. payyan romba pryaayathanam pattu niraya effort koduthu nadichu kalaipae illaama smile panraaru.. payyan munnaeriduvaampaa :P :wink:

cancer
1st April 2009, 12:51 AM
en avatar paarunga.. payyan romba pryaayathanam pattu niraya effort koduthu nadichu kalaipae illaama smile panraaru.. payyan munnaeriduvaampaa :P :wink:

hmmmm.. :P

ok.. even dhanush .. now arya on their right way.

its now Surya vs Dhanush vs Arya.

NOV
1st April 2009, 11:36 AM
Surya's intellectual film

http://specials.rediff.com/movies/2009/mar/31s1-surya.htm

Nothing succeeds like success. Suriya should know. Still basking in the success of Vaaranam Aayiram, the suave Tamil actor is all set to showcase a new facet of his talent in his upcoming KV Anand film, Ayan. Releasing this Friday, Ayan is his most expensive film till date.
On the eve of Vaaranam Aayiram, Suriya had appeared quite nervous. This time, however, he looks very confident.

Suriya describes his new film as 'an intellectual but commercial film,' and tells Rajaneesh Vilakudy what to expect:

There is something for everyone in Ayan -- be it a journalist, a politician, a labourer or a layman. I am very happy with the outcome of the film.

The story can happen to anyone anytime. It is an ordinary story with many layers to it. You read a report in a newspaper and then turn the page. It could be yet another report. But the incident may have many sub-stories.

most expensive film? :roll: :roll: :roll:

A.ANAND
1st April 2009, 04:05 PM

innum konja naal pona surya successor of sivaji innu solluvennga pola! :oops: innum kamal mutti alavu kuda valarala,ithu kulla successor of kamal!oru limit venama???

Vivasaayi
1st April 2009, 04:08 PM

innum konja naal pona surya successor of sivaji innu solluvennga pola! :oops: innum kamal mutti alavu kuda valarala,ithu kulla successor of kamal!oru limit venama???

mutti alavukavadhu ivar valandhurukarey actingla - adha vechuthan

comparitively speaking...

P_R
1st April 2009, 04:15 PM
ellArum kaNuKKAl-la irukkurappO oruththar mutti mOdhi varradhu pArAttukkuriyadhE

Anban
1st April 2009, 06:53 PM
ellArum kaNuKKAl-la irukkurappO oruththar mutti mOdhi varradhu pArAttukkuriyadhE enna saami eluthureenga..

AaBb variation is irritating to read these days..

P_R
1st April 2009, 07:06 PM
ellArum kaNuKKAl-la irukkurappO oruththar mutti mOdhi varradhu pArAttukkuriyadhE enna saami eluthureenga..

கணுக்கால் : ankle

kanukkal : கனுக்கல்: wrong
kanukkaL: கனுக்கள்: wrong
kanukkAl: கனுக்கால்: wrong
kanukkAL: கனுக்காள்: wrong
kaNukkal: கணுக்கல் : wrong
kaNukkAL: கணுக்காள் : wrong
kaNukkAL: கணுக்கால் :right

At best I could have spared you the KK instead of kk.

AaBB is a little annoying when you start out.... but it is quite unambiguous that one can't but fall for it after some time.

Anban
2nd April 2009, 01:59 AM

AaBB is a little annoying when you start out.... but it is quite unambiguous that one can't but fall for it after some time.

thanks a lot for the meaning :P

but still.. kanukkaal is easier to read than kaNukkAL ..

anyway when u r writing tamil in a different script (aAbB) , IMHO it makes little sense to be soo meticulous .. whatever u write is going to be wrong anyway.. 8-)

PS:
i am nitpicking Prabu here.. it applies to many others too.. but i think prabu is the most likely person to give a logical answer..

Mahen
2nd April 2009, 08:02 AM
Surya's intellectual film

http://specials.rediff.com/movies/2009/mar/31s1-surya.htm

Nothing succeeds like success. Suriya should know. Still basking in the success of Vaaranam Aayiram, the suave Tamil actor is all set to showcase a new facet of his talent in his upcoming KV Anand film, Ayan. Releasing this Friday, Ayan is his most expensive film till date.
On the eve of Vaaranam Aayiram, Suriya had appeared quite nervous. This time, however, he looks very confident.

Suriya describes his new film as 'an intellectual but commercial film,' and tells Rajaneesh Vilakudy what to expect:

There is something for everyone in Ayan -- be it a journalist, a politician, a labourer or a layman. I am very happy with the outcome of the film.

The story can happen to anyone anytime. It is an ordinary story with many layers to it. You read a report in a newspaper and then turn the page. It could be yet another report. But the incident may have many sub-stories.

most expensive film? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ayan is Surya's biggest film in terms of budget :) The budget is 2x bigger than VA..

joe
2nd April 2009, 08:07 AM

anyway when u r writing tamil in a different script (aAbB) , IMHO it makes little sense to be soo meticulous .. whatever u write is going to be wrong anyway.. 8-)

PS:
i am nitpicking Prabu here.. it applies to many others too.. but i think prabu is the most likely person to give a logical answer..

இதுக்கு தான் தமிழிலேயே எழுதிடலாம்-ணு சொல்லுறது :)

joe
2nd April 2009, 08:09 AM

மிகச்சரி ..இந்த வேறுபாட்டினால் பொருள் தலைகீழாக மாறும் வாய்ப்புள்ளது ..உதாரணம் : அளித்தான் ,அழித்தான்.

NOV
2nd April 2009, 08:42 AM
[tscii:7e666aea20]A journey called success

Success, they say, is not a destination, it’s a journey. And for actor Surya, that journey continues at a brisk pace.

However, it’s evident that the star hasn’t let success get to his head. “I received so many messages of appreciation after my last film that I had to go to a temple to calm myself down,” he said during a recent press conference. His Ayan is all set to hit screens on April 3.

“Some events that were reported in various newspapers and news channels have been used in the film,” he said and added, “I have so much to learn from AVM, the producers of this film. It was only when we reached the shooting spots that we realised the amount of effort they had put in to organise what we had asked for. They gave us a lot of freedom.”

Director K V Anand, who was also present at the conference, said, “We had body doubles to perform the risky stunts and took them along with us to all the places we were shooting at. However, Surya himself performed all the risky stunts and we didn’t require their services.”

Surya handled difficult questions on his personal life with ease. Responding to one such question on whether he discussed his movie scripts with his wife Jothika, he said with a smile, “No, we don’t. Jo encourages me to talk about us and Diya, our daughter. ‘Enough about cinema!’ she always says.”

To another question on whether Surya’s female fan following had reduced after his marriage, KV Anand grinned and said, “I can tell you that his female fans have increased.” The star added, “Yes, it has increased and it is because of my marriage to Jothika. I’ve had groups of women who’ve told me so.” On a more serious note, he said, “I respect Jothika. Her success rate is higher than mine.”

Jagan, who has also worked in this project with Surya, narrated an incident that had occurred during filming in Zanzibar.
“Zanzibar is a country of poor people. In fact, we had two Afro-Americans working with us on the project. After the final day’s shooting, just as we were leaving, Surya called those two men aside and handed them a wad of dollars he had in his wallet. I doubt if he even counted them,” he said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Regional-Stars/A-journey-called-success/articleshow/4335174.cms[/tscii:7e666aea20]

jaaze
2nd April 2009, 08:45 AM

PS:
i am nitpicking Prabu here.. it applies to many others too.. but i think prabu is the most likely person to give a logical answer.. what do you mean by that? The only way to differentiate the n tamil letter and 'N' tamil letter is by using such variations. Avare menakkattu ippadi poattu ezhuthuraaru.. Paakura ungalukku valikkuthaakkum..

Vivasaayi
2nd April 2009, 04:42 PM
but prabhu and joe,

when u take pains to write with proper letters - u could just convert it to tamil itself using the tamil converter here rught?...after typing with much effort - why should u put it in English .

I find it weird that after putting all these efforts - its just the conversion that needs to be done.

P_R
2nd April 2009, 04:44 PM
nIngaL solvadhu sariyE

jaaze
2nd April 2009, 04:52 PM
nIngaL solvadhu sariyE :lol:

HonestRaj
2nd April 2009, 07:57 PM
Is "Unnai Ninaithu" first 100 day film for Surya?

Vivasaayi
2nd April 2009, 07:59 PM

friends released before UN...

HonestRaj
2nd April 2009, 08:12 PM

friends released before UN...

ada.. solo hero-va kettaen

Vivasaayi
2nd April 2009, 08:13 PM
i dont know whether nandha ran 100 days in any of the theatres.

:roll:

then it should be unnai ninaithu.

Nerd
2nd April 2009, 08:14 PM
Unnai ninaithu 100 days-A? :shock:

joe
2nd April 2009, 08:14 PM
Nerukku Ner-lam odalliya? :roll:

Vivasaayi
2nd April 2009, 08:15 PM
Unnai ninaithu 100 days-A?

Its a HIT.

Vikraman padatha pathi enna nenacheenga...in my hometown vanathaipola,suryavamsam and all created huge records.

He was once the king of B centres.

jaaze
2nd April 2009, 08:16 PM
Nerukku Ner-lam odalliya? :roll:Ennadhu India-ku sudhandhiram kedachuducha? :shock:

Nerd
2nd April 2009, 08:17 PM
Hit-ellAm OK-nga, but 100 days :? Trichy-la 50 naaL kooda Odalai, IIRC

HonestRaj
Unnai ninaithu 100 days-A? :shock:

150 thandiduthu..... theriyadho noakku :huh:

oru industry talk ennanna (books la padichadhu)... Vikraman gave a break to Vijay thru Poove Unakkaga.. same for Surya thru Unnai Ninaithu..... (idhula ennana.. Vijay was the first choice for Unnai Ninaithu)

ThalaNass

Its a HIT.

Vikraman padatha pathi enna nenacheenga...in my hometown vanathaipola,suryavamsam and all created huge records.

Vanathai pola, surya vamsam laam paravala.. Unnai Ninaithu Hit'nu solrathu konjam over thaan :o

Vivasaayi
2nd April 2009, 08:59 PM

Its a HIT.

Vanathai pola, surya vamsam laam paravala.. Unnai Ninaithu Hit'nu solrathu konjam over thaan :o

Its not a blockbuster - Its a hit

ThalaNass
18th April 2009, 03:30 PM
Suriya 's Message to all his fans : Yahoo groups
Hi all,

It means a lot to have such good support from all you guys. Not only when I have
success, even in those days when I needed, all your encouraging mails and wishes
meant a lot to me. Thank you all.

As all know you don't see this kind of success with every film...Ayan's success
is very precious to me because I was able to satisfy most of my fans and
friends. My next 2 movies also will be family entertainers. Not every time u get
scripts like K.K & V.A. You know. I will grab a script when it comes... I do
have to cater all the sensibilities...every project of mine will be special and
unique and our whole team works towards that.

I receive lot of emails from you and I make sure I read all of them. Though I
would like to reply to all, you know it's hard to reply individually. Sorry
about that. But still I take up your reviews to improve my modulation, accent
and dancing skills and I always try to give 100% in everything I do.

Will do need all your support & wishes.

Regards

Suriya.

----------------------------

Source: Orkut

Surya
20th April 2009, 10:30 AM
I voted for Kaaka Kaaka. 8-) I think it's his best so far. 8-) I love his other movies also, but Kaaka Kaaka has that cult following. :clap:

NOV
23rd May 2009, 08:50 PM
[tscii:d5a9904cb0]
Suriya confesses all
22 May 2009, 0000 hrs IST, PRIYANKA DASGUPTA , TNN

Way back in 1997, he had come down to shoot for his first film in Kolkata. And that too, by train. The production budgets increased a little on his return journey, he was given a flight ticket back home. Twelve years later, a lot changed for him and this city when he came down recently to shoot for KS Raviprakash’s Aadhavan.

Critical acclaim, box-office success and even, fatherhood later, Southie superstar Suriya doesn’t fail to recognise the spirit of Kolkata that he had been charmed with when he had first come down to shoot a dance sequence for Nerrukku Ner on a budget of Rs 1.75 lakh that had gone up to Rs 2 lakh. “I still remember the busy traffic near Howrah station, the taxis honking and the fun of having street food.

While a lot of Kolkata has changed, especially near the neatly planned stretch near the airport, the spirit remains unchanged. People have their own pace of living life, a far cry from how life is in the other metros. I’d still love to have egg rolls and flavoured soda that one gets on the Kolkata street. I can’t have the mishti since I’m on diet for my shooting,” insists the superstar who played the lead in the Tamil Ghajini that had also inspired Aamir Khan to remake it into a Hindi blockbuster.

Though a Tamil film, Suriya is essaying a Bengali character in Aadhavan. That also explains his excitement at doing the photoshoot where he wears a dhoti-punjabi. “I don’t have a traditional attire in the film though I’m quite enjoying this whole experience. In the film, I wear regular stuff since it’s set in contemporary Kolkata. But, I’ll have to speak some Bengali lines. I still have time to learn those Bengali lines before we start shooting that scene. I like to rehearse and I’m not a one-take actor. Al Pacino gives 17/18 takes for one shot. It should be okay if I ask for three retakes,” he smiles, while adding how Aadhavan will showcase the best of Kolkata.

“Kolkata has hardly been explored in Tamil films,” he says.
True, but does he know that remade Tamil films are what the local industry is thriving on? “No, I never knew this. I hope all rights are sought before doing remakes,” he says, a little taken aback, before adding that he is familiar with the names of Prosenjit, Jeet and Dev. “I see nothing wrong in remaking a film with universal value for entertainment purposes. Aamir, even after the success of Rang De Basanti, found our Ghajini exciting enough to want to remake it. Most of our stars down South are also into remakes.”

Even the germ of his Ghajini was taken from Memento though Suriya would much rather recall how he had met a woman suffering from retrograde amnesia. “She too would use a Polaroid camera and have captions for every picture she took to remind her of events. We had gifted her the Polaroid camera that we had used for shooting Ghajini,” he says, while walking down memory lane.

Soon Suriya is talking about how he is always excited about doing cult films, which more often than not don’t require high budgets. Incidentally, his Kaakha Kaakha was made only on a budget of Rs 2 crore 75 lakhs. “We had walked out on our original producers and all of us, contributed whatever we could to make this film happen. Our script book began with the line: ‘Let’s make this film happen’. We wanted to shock the audience.” A milestone in Suriya’s acting career, this film went on to be among the top grossers in 2003.

“Almost all the Tamil superhits last year were made within a budget of Rs 4-5 crore only. The government supports in terms of giving an entertainment tax benefit but that too can’t be more than a few lakhs. Somewhere, it’s always magical to work within restricted budget.”

But for magical things to happen, there must also be exceptionally talented scriptwriters since literary adaptations are not in vogue down South. Suriya contradicts, saying, “Mani Sir is giving his own spin to Ramayana but otherwise, we don’t adapt literary stuff. We have very few, rather too few, script writers. It’s always the director, who is in charge of penning the story, screenplay and dialogues!”

And most directors, have also been able to bridge the urban and rural divide down South. “Like West Bengal, we too had a phase, where the audience was divided between those who had done a PhD or those who had just about cleared their fifth standard. But we’ve been able to bridge the gap by giving attention to detailing. Sometimes, obvious errors in terms of film-making too are retained to cater to the sensibilities of the masses. But if we want a song-and-dance sequence in a film that goes for festivals, we do it in an aesthetic way so that it appeals to everyone.

Posters too are so designed that they don’t look clichéd and immature. This attention to detailing comes from an honesty of purpose and not big budgets. Things can change by taking risks with fresh faces. I wasn’t a first film wonder. I’m thankful to the Tamil audience for not accepting me till I took a break and Nandha happened. I believe if one different film works, people will be greedy to try things differently.”

Currently, one of the many ways for him to do things differently is to test Bollywood waters with Rakta Charita. His westward journey to Bollywood should, however, not be seen as any attempt to give competition to Aamir and SRK. “There is no competition. I always wanted to do a film with RGV. He had even attended my wedding. Right now, I’m just doing one Hindi film. Chennai remains my base.”

Any chance of doing a Bengali film? “Mohanlal had learnt a new language to do a play. If I can connect with a good role, I’ll do it.” Should we then hope for Suriya to play a Bengali bhadralok? And this time, for a Tollywood film?

Priyanka Dasgupta

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/Suriya-confesses-all/articleshow/4560771.cms[/tscii:d5a9904cb0]

NOV
23rd May 2009, 09:03 PM
[tscii:a0732f7b42]
Suriya’s Bollywood debut
Kaanchan [May 20, 2009, 6:09:14 PM]

For years, Ram Gopal Varma has been working on Raktha Charithra, a story about the life of Paritala Ravi, prime suspect in many murders. At last the story will get translated to celluloid. The movie stars Vivek Oberoi, but the news that comes as a sweet surprise down South is that Suriya has been cast in it in a pivotal role! “It’ll be in two parts and I will be introduced in the climax scenes of the first part,” says the excited actor.

The first part will hit screens in January 2010, while the second part will release later next year. “We started discussions after I did Ghajini in Tamil but things didn’t materialise. I’m super happy that it’s kicked off this time around. After a one-hour story narration, I just had to say yes! He says he cast me because of my eyes and body language,” says Suriya. Adding, “He [RGV] told me, ‘You’ll see a new Suriya in this film.’ I’m looking forward to that!” So are we!

http://tamil.galatta.com/entertainment/livewire/id/Suriyas_Bollywood_debut_25376.html

[/tscii:a0732f7b42]

Rocky89
24th May 2009, 07:52 PM
[tscii:5821319a90]

Suriya confesses all
22 May 2009, 0000 hrs IST, PRIYANKA DASGUPTA , TNN

Way back in 1997, he had come down to shoot for his first film in Kolkata. And that too, by train. The production budgets increased a little on his return journey, he was given a flight ticket back home. Twelve years later, a lot changed for him and this city when he came down recently to shoot for KS Raviprakash’s Aadhavan.

cycle gap-la orutharu pEraye maatitaanga :lol: :lol:[/tscii:5821319a90]

NOV
26th May 2009, 05:46 PM
[tscii:a4028281d3]Suriya reveals more on the Bollywood offer

Suriya revealed that he agreed to star in Ram Gopal Varma’s Bollywood flick Raktha Charithra after hearing the storyline. The actor said that he had been discussing the issue with RGV for several months but finally it worked out in this venture.

Disclosing more about the film, Suriya said that it about the late politician Paritala Ravi and his murder. Raktha Charithra also has Vivek Oberoi in the cast. In fact it is a five-hour film and will be released in two parts. Suriya will appear in the climax of the first part and will take on from there.

The entire film will be shot at a stretch; however, the first part will be released in January 2010 and the second part will hit the marquee three months later.

[/tscii:a4028281d3]

NOV
26th May 2009, 05:53 PM
Anushka opposite Suriya in Singam

Tollywood's latest sensation Anushka will be the heroine in Suriya's next Tamil cop movie Singam to be directed by cinematographer-turned-director Hari, who earlier directed Suriya in Aaru (2005) and Vel (2007).

Notably, Singam is Suriya's 25th film the second time Suriya plays a cop onscreen. (His first role of a police officer was in Goutham Menon's Kakka Kakka.)

Touted to be an action-packed entertainer mixed with sentiment and comedy, Singam will start rolling at Tirunelveli, Ambasamudram, Kutralam, Karaikudi, Tuticurin, Chennai, Hyderabad and Vizag once Suriya completes his ongoing Aadhavan, directed by K.S. Ravikumar.

V.T. Vijayan is the editor. Priyan is the cinematographer. Devi Sri Prasad will score music for the film, which will feature Prakashraj and Vivek in key roles. The film is produced by K.E. Gnanavel (maker of Sillunnu Oru Kaadhal and Paruthiveeran) under the banner of Studio Green.

Meanwhile, some unconfirmed reports say that Anushka, the heroine of Tollywood blockbuster Arundhathi, is likely to reprise the same role in its Hindi remake, to be produced by M. Shyam Prasad Reddy.

http://telugu.galatta.com/entertainment/telugu/livewire/id/Anushka
_opposite_Suriya_25427.html

P_R
26th May 2009, 05:55 PM
cinematographer-turned-director Hari :D

NOV
14th June 2009, 08:17 AM
[tscii]

Surya croons for Singam

Two of Surya’s films, Singam and Adhavan are getting ready for release this year end and with Ayan doing well at the box office, distributors are desperate to earn the rights for these films, especially Singam where Surya would not only be seen but also be heard singing a song.

Yes, after giving Vikram a chance to become a playback singer in Kandhasamy now Devi Sri Prasad has given Surya an opportunity to show his singing talent. The shooting of this film is happening at a brisk pace.

NOV
14th June 2009, 07:31 PM
ppl who went for vijay awards programme yesterday reveals the award list

BEST HERO : KAMAL ( DASA)
BEST HEROINE: GENELIA (SS)
FAV HERO : SURYA( VA)
FAV HEROINE : ASIN( DASA)
FAV DIRECTOR : K S RAVIKUMAR( DASA)
BEST DIR : GAUTHAM ( VA)
BEST MUSIC DIR : JAMES VA(SUBRA)
FAV MUSIC: HARRIS ( VA)
FAV FILM : DASA
BEST FILM: VA [/b]

HonestRaj
19th June 2009, 08:24 PM
சூர்யாவுக்கு கதை சொன்ன வெற்றிமாறன்
புதன், 17 ஜூன் 2009( 16:33 IST )

ஆடுகளம் படத்தை எடுக்க ஏன் இத்தனை நாட்கள்? வெற்றிமாறனிடம் கேட்டதற்கு, ஆடுகளம் மதுரை பின்னணியில் தயாராகும் படம். நான் சென்னை ஆள். மதுரை பாஷை தெ*ரிந்து படம் எடுக்க வேண்டியிருக்கு. அதுதான் லேட் என்றார்.

மதுரையில் நடக்கும் படப்பிடிப்புக்கு நடுவில் சென்னை வந்த வெற்றிமாறன், சூர்யாவை சந்தித்து அவுட் லைன் ஒன்றை கூறியிருக்கிறார். இந்த அவுட் லைன் சூர்யாவுக்கு பிடித்திருக்கிறது. கதையை டெவலப் செய்யுங்கள் என்று வெற்றிமாறனிடம் அவர் கூறியிருக்கிறார். ஆடுகளத்துக்குப் பிறகு வெற்றிமாறன் இயக்கும் படம் இதுவாகவே இருக்கும் என்கிறார்கள்.

இந்தப் படத்தை மாசிலாமணி படத்தை தயா*ரித்திருக்கும் கல்பாத்தி எஸ் அகோரம் தயா*ரிப்பார் என்று தெ*ரிகிறது.

http://tamil.webdunia.com/entertainment/film/featuresorarticles/09
06/17/1090617082_1.htm

NOV
19th June 2009, 08:48 PM
"Suriya is like my son" says Kamal. Kamal recently awarded the Vijay TV Awards for the best actor to Suriya. He praised Suriya for his dedication and effort. This exclusive video is his comment on Suriya.

http://www.top10cinema.com/videos/308/Kamal-s-comment-on-Suriya

NOV
9th July 2009, 06:15 AM
[tscii]
Suriya says no to this…
IndiaGlitz [Wednesday, July 08, 2009]

Hot star Suriya is one man who is known for his immense prowess in acting and his approach towards versatile roles. Currently, he is busy with the shooting of his new Tamil film ‘Aadhavan’ and when he was asked about a proper title for him just like what the other heroes have, Suriya said no to this.

Adding on to it, the handsome hunk said that he believes in making his mark as an actor and stated that an artiste must be known by his/her work and not by titles.

Suriya has also been actively involved in many charity activities. He also has given his sense of discipline with time management and had become a role model for many other heroes.

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/telugu/article/48146.html

NOV
9th July 2009, 06:54 AM
My two cents worth on Ghajini, and ..... I thought Surya was the most good looking actor ever to be seen in Tamizh film after Kamal, in this film. But when he goes back to his original hairstyle, he looks like, errr...son of Sivakumar.Frankly speaking Sivakumar was loaded with good looks if nothing else, in his younger days.

Kudos for your FIRST positive remark on Surya. :lol:

groucho070
9th July 2009, 07:11 AM
Of course, he was apt as young Lord Muruga. Surya can easily take over that role, if such films exist today. No problemo. Who said I never said anything positive about Surya. I have praised him three times, to be exact. First I said he was better than Vijay in Neerukku Neer. Better than Vikram in Pithamagan. And the good look he had in Ghajini. Certainly one of the best looking actor, alongside Ajith and Madhavan, in the industry.

P_R
9th July 2009, 08:11 AM
when he was asked about a proper title for him just like what the other heroes have, Suriya said no to this.
:clap:
Hope this title thingie is laid to rest in a few years.

MADDY
9th July 2009, 09:44 AM
when he was asked about a proper title for him just like what the other heroes have, Suriya said no to this.

yes, its causing GDP to go down and inflation to fluctuate.....

coming to think of it, my fav surya performance has to be Ayutha ezhuthu.......andha oru burdened look of carrying so many hopes of change - throughout the movie - excellent :thumbsup:

Nerd
9th July 2009, 09:50 AM
ennadhu VA-kku 12 votes-A? Epdi daddy-kku aaru, payyanukku aaraa :lol2:

NOV
9th July 2009, 09:55 AM
I think its quite deserving. Surya acted in the growing up roles of two generations and he did an excellent job.

Some people may not like it - for whatever reasons - but that doesnt take away his captivating performance.

crajkumar_be
9th July 2009, 09:56 AM
I think its quite deserving. Surya acted in the growing up roles of two generations and he did an excellent job.

Some people may not like it - for whatever reasons - but that doesnt take away his captivating performance.
Yes!
Inga pesalaam-la? Vaazhga Suriya-vin kalai thondu :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

Nerd
9th July 2009, 09:58 AM
AththellAm irukkattum, intha poll-la 9th option yEdhO oru padam irukkE, ennadhu adhu :lol2:

:yessir:

NOV
9th July 2009, 10:03 AM
SoK wasnt such a demanding role and I believe he did it well enough; I have no complaints.

In fact post Ghajini, there is really nothing much to compain.

However if someone doesnt like Surya per se, then nothing he did will be good. I guess, all of us should be able to live with that.

P_R
9th July 2009, 10:04 AM

yes, its causing GDP to go down and inflation to fluctuate.....

Oh andha prachanai paththi mattum dhaan neenga kavalaippaduveengaLA :lol2:

Naan indha shallow title kalAchAraththin theevira edhirppALan.

crajkumar_be
9th July 2009, 10:06 AM
PR,
Title veenaamnu sonnaar-ngaradha reflect panra title vechiduvaango!

P_R
9th July 2009, 10:09 AM
:lol:

In T-Nagar I saw a board that said manitha-nEyar Surya.

S: nAn peNgaLai thaayA madhikkiravan
GM: naanga mattum enna nAyAvA madhikkirOm..summA pEsaNumnu pEsAdhe..vevaramA pEsu

NOV
9th July 2009, 10:09 AM
Title veenaamnu sonnaar-ngaradha reflect panra title vechiduvaango!I dont think so; Sivakumar lived all his life without titles (when others were sprouting makkal kalaignar, navarasa naayagan, etc) Also he was totally against having fan clubs.

Does Surya have fan clubs? :huh:

P_R
9th July 2009, 10:10 AM
Yes I have seen fan club hoardings for Surya and even Karthi :lol2:

crajkumar_be
9th July 2009, 10:12 AM
Nov,
j/k there...

Naanum fan boards paathirukken. Karthi-a vidunga, Sreehandh ku board vechirukkaanga (ippo irukka?) opposite Lakshman Shruthi, Ashok Nagar :shock:

NOV
9th July 2009, 10:15 AM
Why so much hatred for Sreekanth? :confused2: I like his Pambara Kannaale very much. And I think he did a good job in Bose - military manOda gambeeram nalla irundhuchu.

Vivasaayi
9th July 2009, 10:16 AM
Why so much hatred for Sreekanth? :confused2: I like his Pambara Kannaale very much. And I think he did a good job in Bose - military manOda gambeeram nalla irundhuchu.

ennanga soldreenga...thala suthudhu enakku...

P_R
9th July 2009, 10:25 AM
:lol: :shock: :lol:

Enakku Srikanth-ai pArthaale, avar pEsunaalE sirippu varum

<looks around> yaaravadhu Srikanth fan vandhu thittappOraar

Jyothsna
9th July 2009, 10:29 AM

:rotfl3: Nov sir, ithukku ullartham ethavathu irukka.. :confused2:

NOV
9th July 2009, 10:33 AM
ithukku ullartham ethavathu irukka.. :confused2:irukkalaam... maybe I shouldnt have that personal asociation with the army. :sigh2:

MADDY
9th July 2009, 10:35 AM
Nov,
j/k there...

Naanum fan boards paathirukken. Karthi-a vidunga, Sreehandh ku board vechirukkaanga (ippo irukka?) opposite Lakshman Shruthi, Ashok Nagar :shock:

kodambakkam arcot bridge erungura edathhula "agila indhiya iyakkunar shangar rasigar mandram" irukku theriyuma :lol2: ....//havent had a chance to visit them.....monetary help-aavadhu pannalaam//

NOV
9th July 2009, 10:37 AM
maddy, additional arsenal for you... I like Shankar too. :P

MADDY
9th July 2009, 10:42 AM

yes, i think we are the only self-confessed shankar fans in this section :thumbsup:

Hulkster
9th July 2009, 10:51 AM

yes, i think we are the only self-confessed shankar fans in this section :thumbsup:

U forgot Nerd.

MADDY
9th July 2009, 10:58 AM

U forgot Nerd.

no, i dont think he is :) ......avaru rajini padam director-ngra oru mariyadhai vena vechhirupparu....avalavudhaan, fan ellam chance illa...

dinesh2002
9th July 2009, 11:52 AM
it so sad no 1 voted for Nandha, i voted for it. Thats the movie which became his turning point of his career thus life. :)

Excellent acting in that movie. Nothing beats that.

Nerd
9th July 2009, 09:04 PM
Why so much hatred for Sreekanth? :confused2: I like his Pambara Kannaale very much. And I think he did a good job in Bose - military manOda gambeeram nalla irundhuchu
:lol: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl3:

What's pambara kannaalE?

Plum
9th July 2009, 09:34 PM
Nerd, AhA, pambar kaannale pacha kutha vechaLe theriyadha? Adhul, second hero vera oruthan varuvvan. Double imsai.

IvLO en, london return Akash-ku kooda rasigar mandram bord irukku - anegama adhu avroda lodge room balcony-A irukkum

P_R
9th July 2009, 09:42 PM
IvLO en, london return Akash-ku kooda rasigar mandram bord irukku - anegama adhu avroda lodge room balcony-A irukkum
Near T nagar somasundaram ground you can see "agila indhiya hamsavridhan rasigar manRa thalaimaiyagam"As coincidence will it have it, it also happens to be the matinee idol's residence.

Nerd
9th July 2009, 09:43 PM
I somehow completely missed this film. I remember films like varNajaalam, mercury pookkaL, kizhakku kadarkarai saalai but this one has escaped me. As a Tamil Films hubber, i should do better :cry3:

Vivasaayi
9th July 2009, 09:46 PM
Why so much hatred for Sreekanth? :confused2: I like his Pambara Kannaale very much. And I think he did a good job in Bose - military manOda gambeeram nalla irundhuchu

What's pambara kannaalE?

srikanths attempt at doing a local mass role...

pettai rangelu erangi roundu kattiruparu paarunga...adadada

Vivasaayi
9th July 2009, 09:47 PM
Nerd, AhA, pambar kaannale pacha kutha vechaLe theriyadha? Adhul, second hero vera oruthan varuvvan. Double imsai.

Oru heroineku kooda rasigar mandra board paarthen

Not sure whether it was for "kalaba kadhalan"second heroine or pudhupetai saravanan heroine

crajkumar_be
9th July 2009, 09:50 PM
Near T nagar somasundaram ground you can see "agila indhiya hamsavridhan rasigar manRa thalaimaiyagam"As coincidence will it have it, it also happens to be the matinee idol's residence.
:rotfl2:

P_R
9th July 2009, 09:50 PM
Not sure whether it was for "kalaba kadhalan"second heroine or pudhupetai saravanan heroine
adhu pudukkOttai

theriyumadA rendum oNNu dhaanE dA

Vivasaayi
9th July 2009, 09:51 PM
adhu pudukkOttai

theriyumadA rendum oNNu dhaanE dA

edho oru kOtta...aanaa vishayam ennamo onnuthan

crajkumar_be
9th July 2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah andha heroine peru Aparna.. Devi theater la banner vechaanga

Nerd
9th July 2009, 10:09 PM
Yeah andha heroine peru Aparna.. Devi theater la banner vechaanga
Once a Miss Chennai runner-up :P

HonestRaj
9th July 2009, 10:37 PM
:lol: :shock: :lol:

Enakku Srikanth-ai pArthaale, avar pEsunaalE sirippu varum

<looks around> yaaravadhu Srikanth fan vandhu thittappOraar

"Indhiravizha" nAlaikku releasungov

HonestRaj
9th July 2009, 10:39 PM

What's pambara kannaalE?

srikanths attempt at doing a local mass role...

pettai rangelu erangi roundu kattiruparu paarunga...adadada

aama.. kattuna roundukku ulle Namitha iruppanga.... kabadi scene :lol2;

NOV
10th July 2009, 05:50 AM
I somehow completely missed this film. I remember films like varNajaalam, mercury pookkaL, kizhakku kadarkarai saalai but this one has escaped me. As a Tamil Films hubber, i should do better :cry3:Let me also remind you that there is a world of difference in watching a film in th ebig screen as opposed to a 29"/32"/45" TV screen, or worse still, on your computer screen.

NOV
10th July 2009, 05:59 AM
Suriya to team up with Murugadoss again?
Ajay Kumar R [July 9, 2009, 1:10:03 PM]

Suriya worked with Murugadoss for Ghajini (Tamil); Aamir Khan was so impressed with Suriya's performance that he decided to accept the offer to star in the Hindi remake.

Murugadoss, who has just signed a multi-crore deal with Fox Star Studios, has decided to work on a Hindi and a Tamil film very soon. The latest buzz is that he might decide to cast his favourite actor Suriya for an action-adventure flick. Suriya indeed is a versatile actor, and he seems to be getting better with every film. So the Ghajini team of Suriya-Murugadoss-Harris Jayaraj may reunite very soon, as they all share a very good working relationship.

In the meanwhile, unconfirmed reports also suggest that Murugadoss will be meeting Shahrukh Khan for a Bollywood film. Let's hope we get to see this winning combination once again!

groucho070
10th July 2009, 06:54 AM
Let me also remind you that there is a world of difference in watching a film in th ebig screen as opposed to a 29"/32"/45" TV screen, or worse still, on your computer screen.One of those moments I agree with you. This is where, some classics get the "I don't get how come this movie is labeled as classic" comment. The revision of history that is done and dealt with. Chumma small screens-la, athuvun, notebookla veera parthutu tuppurathu. Worst still, commenting on old song sequences, judging it even without looking at the entire movie, placing yourself at that moment of history, and putting yourself amongst the audeince of the time when there was no Google and wikipedia or youtube. Very sad, indeed.

Nerd
10th July 2009, 07:02 AM
Let me also remind you that there is a world of difference in watching a film in th ebig screen as opposed to a 29"/32"/45" TV screen, or worse still, on your computer screen.
Let's see. Would you have liked Vennila Kabadi Kuzhu if you had seen that film on a big screen? If yes (or may be), then you should not have posted about that film at all.

I used to watch almost everything on big screen when I was in India. Now I don't get the chance. Only very few films release here and they run only for a single weekend. DVD-nu onna edhukku kandupidichaanga appuRam :huh:

NOV
10th July 2009, 07:12 AM
Let's see. Would you have liked Vennila Kabadi Kuzhu if you had seen that film on a big screen? If yes (or may be), then you should not have posted about that film at all.
1. I am not saying that you should not post your views; just saying that its different. :sigh2:

2. VKK bored me - didnt capture my interest at all. I dont think it would have made a diff. But I also conceded that ppl may like it and I could be be an exception.

groucho070
10th July 2009, 07:29 AM
Why Aaru is teamed with Aytha Ezhuttu. Two totally different type of characters.

NOV
10th July 2009, 07:33 AM
4 maasamaachu Rakesh. Ok, will remove 6. :P
hope to see your vote after that. :lol:

groucho070
10th July 2009, 07:43 AM
Of that list, I've only seen AE, PM, MP, KK. Hmm.... :confused2:

MADDY
10th July 2009, 07:46 AM

Suriya worked with Murugadoss for Ghajini (Tamil); Aamir Khan was so impressed with Suriya's performance that he decided to accept the offer to star in the Hindi remake.

Murugadoss, who has just signed a multi-crore deal with Fox Star Studios, has decided to work on a Hindi and a Tamil film very soon. The latest buzz is that he might decide to cast his favourite actor Suriya for an action-adventure flick. Suriya indeed is a versatile actor, and he seems to be getting better with every film. So the Ghajini team of Suriya-Murugadoss-Harris Jayaraj may reunite very soon, as they all share a very good working relationship.

In the meanwhile, unconfirmed reports also suggest that Murugadoss will be meeting Shahrukh Khan for a Bollywood film. Let's hope we get to see this winning combination once again!

:shock: KSR and now murugadoss......sure hits in the bag :( ........ajith/vijay ennappa panreenga - :cry: .......to work with good directors - common sense :huh:

Sarna
10th July 2009, 07:49 AM
Voted for Mounam Pesiyathe :victory: :victory:

only 7 votes :hammer: :hammer: for the best movie of Surya :twisted:

NOV
10th July 2009, 07:52 AM
Sudhir, I am expecting good songs tho - Surya-HR team always never fail to disappoint. :D

P_R
10th July 2009, 08:10 AM
pErazhagan a non-starter ! :-(

'munguneechal'-ukkAgavAvadhu vote kidaichirukkaNum

Sarna
10th July 2009, 09:10 AM

unga vote enna aachchu ?

Jyothsna
10th July 2009, 09:17 AM
Varanam Aayiram ku ithanai vote a... :banghead:

Sarna
10th July 2009, 09:22 AM
Varanam Aayiram ku ithanai vote a... :banghead:

Surya'ku 1 vote
krishnan'ukku minus 2 vote.

kootti kazhichchu paarunga, kanakku sariyaa varum :P

Jyothsna
10th July 2009, 09:24 AM
Eppadi paarthalum minus la than varuthu. :?

Sarna
10th July 2009, 09:30 AM
Eppadi paarthalum minus la than varuthu. :?

1 koottanum, minus 2'a kazhikkanum :lol2:

1-(-2)+1-(-2)+1-(-2)+1-(-2) = 12

idhu epdi irukku :smokesmirk:

P_R
10th July 2009, 09:44 AM

unga vote enna aachchu ?

VA

crajkumar_be
10th July 2009, 11:30 AM
Let me also remind you that there is a world of difference in watching a film in th ebig screen as opposed to a 29"/32"/45" TV screen, or worse still, on your computer screen.One of those moments I agree with you. This is where, some classics get the "I don't get how come this movie is labeled as classic" comment. The revision of history that is done and dealt with. Chumma small screens-la, athuvun, notebookla veera parthutu tuppurathu. Worst still, commenting on old song sequences, judging it even without looking at the entire movie, placing yourself at that moment of history, and putting yourself amongst the audeince of the time when there was no Google and wikipedia or youtube. Very sad, indeed.
I get what you mean Nov/Groucho,
Interestingly though, i find that watching a movie alone is the best way (with exceptions of course) to go, and adhulayum notebook la with headphones is the best bet. Of course, sila padangal theater la dhaan ultimate a theriyum... I mean i understand your point about many of us missing context, history and associated parameters (i know what you are feeling - For me watching Raaja Kayya Vecha song would be quite an experience but for someone a few years younger it may not be a big deal at all) but just felt like saying this. Wonder if anyone likes the "personal" movie watching experience too...

P_R
10th July 2009, 11:36 AM
Personal-A irukka mudiyuradhillaiyE.
Always 'who is that distabaans' mode.

Raikkonen
10th July 2009, 11:37 AM
:shock: KSR and now murugadoss......sure hits in the bag :( ........ajith/vijay ennappa panreenga - :cry: .......to work with good directors - common sense :huh:

:cry:

villain..

karunas: ithu thana sir unga dakku... avan nimishatukku oru emotion katturan..

groucho070
10th July 2009, 11:41 AM
Wonder if anyone likes the "personal" movie watching experience too...Very much. Daily rathiri ithan pannikittirukken, until I get married I suppose. During my solo days, I would sit in the front row in the theatre (usually three seats from the screen) to get away from the crowd and to be intimate with the film (Sirikatheyngga, Spielberg-um ithan seivaaaru). But when watching a film for the first time on smaller screen, I automatically consider how it would be different on big screen, and appreciate it from that angle. But I still can't watch a film in notebook. Headphone would be nice, to give you great sound effect, but I need bigger screen.

Sarna
10th July 2009, 11:45 AM

:cry:

villain..

karunas: ithu thana sir unga dakku... avan nimishatukku oru emotion katturan..

dont worry 8-) nadula singam kalam erangappOvudhu :P

NOV
10th July 2009, 12:47 PM
What CR and Groucho have described sounds interesting - I must try some time - when I get seats, its usually as far away from the screen as possible - I like the wide angle. :lol:

I prefer watching in cinema for many reasons - besides the large screen. The ambience, the thrill of it, and so many things that make you part of the action and not just a mere viewer.

Comparatively when watching on TV I tend to hold the remote in hand either to FF or to pause while I do other chores. Most of the time I have to compel myself to sit and watch. :)

yeah, give me the cinema any time.

Thirumaran
10th July 2009, 12:52 PM

Sila Vishayangala Thadukka mudiyaathu MADDY :wink:

He is on the way to reach the Top Slot :boo:

Sarna
10th July 2009, 01:07 PM

I read it as Top Star :P

Thirumaran
10th July 2009, 01:41 PM

I read it as Top Star :P

thaangala :lol2:

btw nee sourav ellaam Surya Avatar poada aarambichchaachu.. :lol2:

Sarna
10th July 2009, 02:51 PM
btw nee sourav ellaam Surya Avatar poada aarambichchaachu.. :lol2:

Surya ennamO enakku parama edhiri maadhiri kEkkureenga :lol2:

Mounam pEsiyadhE padam pudikkum :D adhula nadichcha Surya'vayum pudikkum :P

NOV
24th July 2009, 12:35 PM
Birthday Suite: Suriya Sivakumar

Suriya Sivakumar, son of Kollywood thespian Sivakumar, is the most promising Tamil actor of the Vijay-Ajith era. Known for his great talent in portraying characters of diverse hue and complex psyche, Suriya debuted with 'Nerkku Ner' in 1997 and shot to national fame with Murugadoss's 'Ghajini' (2005).

Both an actor and a superstar (in that order), Suriya is considered by many as Kamal Haasan 2, for the sheer range of characters he has played on screen (and those that have been promised!).

On the occasion of his 34th birthday, we present to you 12 different faces of Suriya, the actor.

http://entertainment.in.msn.com/movies/features/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=3114042

NOV
27th July 2009, 03:04 PM
One of the films Mysskin has committed to direct is the 32-crore mega-budget film to be produced by UTV Films that would star Suriya in the lead.

Movie Cop
27th July 2009, 11:22 PM
Birthday Suite: Suriya Sivakumar

Suriya Sivakumar, son of Kollywood thespian Sivakumar, is the most promising Tamil actor of the Vijay-Ajith era. Known for his great talent in portraying characters of diverse hue and complex psyche, Suriya debuted with 'Nerkku Ner' in 1997 and shot to national fame with Murugadoss's 'Ghajini' (2005).

Both an actor and a superstar (in that order), Suriya is considered by many as Kamal Haasan 2, for the sheer range of characters he has played on screen (and those that have been promised!).
On the occasion of his 34th birthday, we present to you 12 different faces of Suriya, the actor.

http://entertainment.in.msn.com/movies/features/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=3114042
:shaking:
Anyways, b'day wishes for Surya! 8-)

NOV
31st July 2009, 08:17 AM
[tscii:77c5553356]
Assistant directors sing Suriya’s praise
[Thursday, July 30, 2009]

Often understated in their importance and unsung heroes, the assistant directors of a film often make it the movie it is. A director’s student, man Friday and the actors’ friends, these directors to be are a formidable lot.

And now, they’re singing the praise of actor Suriya. All direction aspirants who have worked in 'Ayan' are very much excited with the actor’s demeanour.

With the film completing a 100 day run in the box office, Suriya had recently invited all assistants and threw them a party, apart from gifting them Rs 20,000 each. But what moved them most was the actor’s modesty in calling them as one of the most important reasons for the film’s success. Way to go, Suriya![/tscii:77c5553356]

NOV
31st July 2009, 08:18 AM
Suriya's forthcoming projects
Ajay Kumar R [July 29, 2009, 1:17:34 PM]

Suriya is riding high after the success of Ayan. There was recent news that the film might be remade in Hindi, but there has been no confirmation yet.

Suriya is currently busy shooting for the almost-complete Aadhavan in South Africa. The Aadhavan team travelled to Iceland sometime back. Now, director K.S. Ravikumar is working overtime as the climax is being shot.

Soon after Aadhavan, the actor will start off with Singam, his 25th film. Singam will be directed by Hari and the story is set in Rameshwaram.

Suriya also has signed up for a Hindi-Telugu bilingual with director Ram Gopal Varma. After that, he may team up with A.R. Murugadoss once again for a bilingual produced by Udayanidhi Stalin!

Looks like Suriya's dates are booked for the next two years at least, and he is indeed the busiest star in Kollywood!

NOV
23rd August 2009, 08:18 AM
sun tv'la vinaayagar chathurthiyai munnittu nambikkai naayaganin Ghajini :P

astro vellithiraiyil, Sillunu Oru Kaathal

Appu s
23rd August 2009, 11:57 AM
sun tv'la vinaayagar chathurthiyai munnittu nambikkai naayaganin Ghajini :P

astro vellithiraiyil, Sillunu Oru Kaathal

yesterday watched the SOK flash back scenes ..... Thalaivar simply rocked in the BGM... :bow: :bow:

NOV
23rd August 2009, 06:17 PM
I watched the last 30 mins. who is this director Krishna? Has he done any other films?

munbE vaa is one helluva evergreen song - has lasted so many years. :2thumbsup:

Sarna
24th August 2009, 06:16 PM
saw few scenes of perazhagan :)

Surya as hunchback with theththu-pal..... actually andha theththupal vachchittu ma, pa... i mean udhadugal otturadhu kashtam.... scenes'la Surya udhadugal ottaadhu... but dubbing'la udhadugal ottum....

indha charactor'a paaraattunavanga ellaam konjam kayya thookkunga :P

P_R
24th August 2009, 06:18 PM
uLLEn ayyA

Vadivelu to prospective bus buyer:
idhellAm oru sEdhAramAyyA

Sarna
24th August 2009, 06:26 PM
uLLEn ayyA

Vadivelu to prospective bus buyer:
idhellAm oru sEdhAramAyyA

vadivElu : right'u.... nesttu meet panrEn

Pras
24th August 2009, 07:00 PM
i voted for pithamagan ... you know why :P

HonestRaj
24th August 2009, 08:19 PM
i voted for pithamagan ... you know why :P

no PERIANNA -- so I haven't voted :lol2:

VinodKumar's
26th August 2009, 10:55 AM
SINGAM kalam erangiruchunu kelvi pattaen ...

Sarna
26th August 2009, 12:28 PM

koodavE CHIRUTHA'ayum kalam erangudhu :P

Raikkonen
26th August 2009, 12:36 PM

koodave vettaikaranum vararu.. paathu bathiram

Sarna
26th August 2009, 01:02 PM

Sivakumar_family_fan : villu dhaan odanji pOchchE :lol2: ippa enna pannuveenga :poke:

Raikkonen
26th August 2009, 01:04 PM

Sivakumar_family_fan : villu dhaan odanji pOchchE :lol2: ippa enna pannuveenga :poke:

thirupachi aruva irukke..

Sarna
26th August 2009, 01:11 PM

Sivakumar_family_fan: naanga Surya nadichcha vEl padaththa pottu kaamippOm...mokka thaangaama unga aruvaavE azha aarambichchidum .... simbu kooda avvalavu periya mokka padaththula nadichchadhilla theriyumaa :lol:

groucho070
26th August 2009, 01:20 PM
One hubber conspicuously missing. Hmm...

VinodKumar's
26th August 2009, 08:10 PM

thirupachi aruva irukke.. :2thumbsup:

VinodKumar's
26th August 2009, 08:12 PM

Sivakumar_family_fan: naanga Surya nadichcha vEl padaththa pottu kaamippOm...mokka thaangaama unga aruvaavE azha aarambichchidum .... simbu kooda avvalavu periya mokka padaththula nadichchadhilla theriyumaa :lol:

yarangae sivakumar family interview ah podunga sarna vukkuu ... :yessir:

VinodKumar's
3rd September 2009, 08:45 PM
[tscii:6fe5d33cba]Suriya Finally gets a Ttile Tag for Singam

Even before appearing in the first movie, heroes are eager to have a punchy label before their names. After constants hits and being a star-kid till date Suriya never encourages these kinds of labels before his name. We can gladly present the title of ‘Narpani Nayagan’ because he is so philanthropic. Interestingly, ‘Singam’ (his 25th movie) will be the first movie to carry this title. Though the actor helps a lot to the needy, he never does it with media exposure.

Lives of stunt-men in cinema is really miserable, they have no assurance for the safety of their life. Initially, just because of the risky employment, insurance companies were not offering health insurance to these stunt-men. Luckily stunt-men are now benefited by the private accident insurance coverage. The stunt organization of Tamil cinema takes a group policy of 5 lakhs every year. And know who sponsors this premium of 5 lakhs every year? It’s our Suriya! The actor is paying these 5 lakhs for the past ten years. Incredibly touching right?

Suriya proves that ‘Charity is a virtue of the heart, and not of the hands.’

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/49630.html [/tscii:6fe5d33cba]

P_R
3rd September 2009, 08:50 PM
:lol2:

Walter Vetrivel

GM: thangath thalaivar
Jalras: vaazhga vaazhga
GM: piththalai thalaivar
Jalras: vaazh....

Appu s
3rd September 2009, 10:40 PM
PR :rotfl: :rotfl:

NOV
4th September 2009, 05:35 AM
I hope its not true. :x
anyway, it sounds a little contradictory - why would a person who does charity uknowingly, want to exhibit it through a nickname?

but knowing hari, anything is possible. :x
hope surya has enough "selvaakku" to rise against this (like AR Rahman) :thumbsup:

RC
6th September 2009, 07:15 PM
-wrong thread...

Appu s
6th September 2009, 07:17 PM
ithu surya thread nga.. shreya illa..

RC
6th September 2009, 07:20 PM
ithu surya thread nga.. shreya illa..

adEdE...uNarchchi vasappattutEn pOla irukkE :P

HonestRaj
16th September 2009, 10:42 PM
Can I know,

1. which was the last film: Surya acted with the normal get-up... means, like Poovellam Kettuppar / Perianna / Nerukku ner etc.

2. Which was the last hit in that?

VinodKumar's
16th September 2009, 11:12 PM
SOK vatchukalama ?

aana athu hit ah illayanu neengalae mudivu pannikunga :wink:

SOK vum illaena Sri thaan avaru original get up la nadicharu ....

Movie Cop
16th September 2009, 11:22 PM
Can I know,

1. which was the last film: Surya acted with the normal get-up... means, like Poovellam Kettuppar / Perianna / Nerukku ner etc.

Avaru last film "Ayan" liye normal get up thaane? :roll:

NOV
17th September 2009, 05:49 AM
varanam aayiram abnormalaa? :think:

P_R
17th September 2009, 05:54 AM
Can I know,

இந்த ஆய்வின் மூலம் தாங்கள் அறிய முயல்வது ?

Roshan
17th September 2009, 08:54 AM
His last two films VA and Ayan are with normal get ups.

Sarna
17th September 2009, 09:09 AM

namma oorula normal getup'naa clean shaved face with alavaana meesai and neettaa vaaruna thalai.... paakka latchanamaa irukkanum .... previous generation actors are the best examples :)

So VA and Ayan are rejected :P

Unnai ninaiththu will fit the bill perfectly :) and it was a hit 8-)

AudazJay
17th September 2009, 09:27 AM

namma oorula normal getup'naa clean shaved face with alavaana meesai and neettaa vaaruna thalai.... paakka latchanamaa irukkanum .... previous generation actors are the best examples :)

Ningge sonne requirements ellam Vel padathule kaanalam...sans the alavaana meesai :lol:

Movie Cop
17th September 2009, 09:32 AM

"Normal get up"-ku ippadi ellam definition kuduhteenga na then I will say even Vijay or Ajith have left their normal get up several years back. :lol:

"Normal get up"-nu gradhu enna na... :) Wait a minute, let me back out and leave it to the hub for discussion.
Me thinks about myself, "Patha vachithiye parattai"... :yessir:

NOV
17th September 2009, 09:37 AM
"Normal get up"-nu gradhu enna na... :) Wait a minute, let me back out and leave it to the hub for discussion.
Me thinks about myself, "Patha vachithiye parattai"... :yessir:paththa vechathu honest raj.... :lol:

what to do, Surya is becoming so successful, that ppl have to find new methods to undermine him. :rotfl3:

Movie Cop
17th September 2009, 09:44 AM
Me thinks about myself, "Patha vachithiye parattai"... :yessir:paththa vechathu honest raj.... :lol:

what to do, Surya is becoming so successful, that ppl have to find new methods to undermine him. :rotfl3:
Daadi-uhh shave panaama alladhu thala mudiye seriya vagudaama nadikarudhu ellam "diparant get up"-na, then namma thamizh cinema oda state - very sorry state of affairs! :huh:

If you apply Sarna's definition for different get up, then it's not just Surya but almost all Tamil heroes are appearing in different get ups in every movie. :lol2:

podaskie
17th September 2009, 09:52 AM

he is not successful on its own bro...because of the director he choose, he is becoming successful :? ....even J. K. Rithesh,sam anderson...will be a successfull hero's if they choose good director,good music director,big producer etc etc like surya does....

Sarna
17th September 2009, 10:00 AM
Daadi-uhh shave panaama alladhu thala mudiye seriya vagudaama nadikarudhu ellam "diparant get up"-na, then namma thamizh cinema oda state - very sorry state of affairs! :huh:

diperant get-up'la oru part :)

If you apply Sarna's definition for different get up, then it's not just Surya but almost all Tamil heroes are appearing in different get ups in every movie. :lol2:

"different get-ups" are becoming "normal getups" now... idhu thamizh cinemaavin valarchchinga :P perumai padanum :wink:

:yessir:

AudazJay
17th September 2009, 12:19 PM

he is not successful on its own bro...because of the director he choose, he is becoming successful :? ....even J. K. Rithesh,sam anderson...will be a successfull hero's if they choose good director,good music director,big producer etc etc like surya does....

This is something new...Are you trying to imply that the other actors became successful without having had to depend on their directors? :shock:

Plum
17th September 2009, 12:49 PM
VuttA "nalla padathula nadichu Surya periyALaayittAru, engaLaia paarunga kambiya pudikkAma epdi strong-A nikkarOmnu "solvaanga pOla?
P.S: Usual disclaimer, not surya fan

Sarna
17th September 2009, 12:54 PM
VuttA "nalla padathula nadichu Surya periyALaayittAru, engaLaia paarunga kambiya pudikkAma epdi strong-A nikkarOmnu "solvaanga pOla?

vadivel's ultimate line :rotfl:

Vivasaayi
17th September 2009, 01:02 PM
he is not successful on its own bro...because of the director he choose, he is becoming successful :? ....even J. K. Rithesh,sam anderson...will be a successfull hero's if they choose good director,good music director,big producer etc etc like surya does

well,

vijay became succesful because of two of the most succesful directors vikraman,fazil in his early stages

morover,he entered film industry easily under his fathers direction.

and in the later stages by remaking movies which are already hits..

remaking hit mobies is a safer bet than working in a fresh movie under good directors :)

Im not underestimating vijays talent here...Im just saying that u cant attribute vijays success to vikraman,fazil,telugu movies etc...he is solely responsible for his success

AudazJay
17th September 2009, 03:01 PM

AudazJay
17th September 2009, 03:12 PM
vijay became succesful because of two of the most succesful directors vikraman,fazil in his early stages

Im just saying that u cant attribute vijays success to vikraman,fazil,telugu movies etc...he is solely responsible for his success

Rendum konjem contradicting-a illaya? :huh:

If he became successful after acting under directors like vikraman and fazil, why shouldn't his success be attributed to the said directors? After all, it was films like Poove Unakaga and Kadhaluku Mariyathai which created a path for him...and it was after these films that other directors were willing to cast him in their movies.

Vivasaayi
17th September 2009, 03:39 PM

Im just saying that u cant attribute vijays success to vikraman,fazil,telugu movies etc...he is solely responsible for his success

Rendum konjem contradicting-a illaya? :huh:

If he became successful after acting under directors like vikraman and fazil, why shouldn't his success be attributed to the said directors? After all, it was films like Poove Unakaga and Kadhaluku Mariyathai which created a path for him...and it was after these films that other directors were willing to cast him in their movies.

cinema is made by a lot of people.everybody do their work.

What i meant is that a person's success cannot be attibuted to anyone else..if vijay hadnt acted/danced well in those movies he wouldnt have garnered his fans even if the movie was a hit.

may be we can say fazil/vikraman helped vijay to showcase his talent.

Sarna
17th September 2009, 04:05 PM
if vijay hadnt acted/danced well in those movies he wouldnt have garnered his fans even if the movie was a hit.

vivs, u changed a lot :P

Plum
17th September 2009, 04:17 PM
Now, sarna, here's your homework: replace vijay with surya in vivs' sentence and post it here :-)

Sarna
17th September 2009, 06:04 PM
Now, sarna, here's your homework: replace vijay with surya in vivs' sentence and post it here :-)

school'la vaaththiyaar solliyE naan homework pannadhilla :lol2: neenga solli'yaa pannidappOrEn :yessir:

HonestRaj
18th September 2009, 10:05 PM
Can I know,

இந்த ஆய்வின் மூலம் தாங்கள் அறிய முயல்வது ?

indha keLviya mattum nan amerikavula kEtturundhana.. indha veLLayana veLLai mALigaila vechu.. vizha kondadi iruppanga

HonestRaj
18th September 2009, 10:09 PM
PR.. enna idhu?

name to initials conversion :y: :huh:

PrabhuRam'nu irundhappa... PR' nu koopittOm

ippo.. P_R'nu maathitteenga.. nanga "underscore" nu koopiduradha :roll:

HonestRaj
18th September 2009, 10:12 PM
pazhaya Surya ini varamattara'nu oru aadhangathula kEttEn :P

1) Ayan song... multi make ups & get ups

2) VA.. father, son.. adhulaye based on their ages pala variations..

3) Next Aadhavan -- something wud be in store for u guys to relish

The ones that came to my mind:

SOK -- Fail

Unnai Ninaithu -- Pass

NOV
24th September 2009, 07:56 PM
[tscii:c70b99082b]Murugadoss confirms Suriya film

Confirming reports that his next film is with Suriya, filmmaker A R Murugadoss says the project will be big in all aspects.

“It may take some time to start my next Hindi venture. Before that, I have planned to do a film with Suriya. I have conceived an apt storyline for Suriya for which he too has expressed his consent,” says the ‘Ghajini’ director.

On the movie, he says, “it will be a trilingual to be made in Tamil, Telugu and Hindi. The movie’s quality and content will be something new to Tamil cinema. I am currently busy with giving final touches to the script.”

Rubbishing reports that he is demanding more remuneration of late, Murugadoss says, “I wonder where such baseless reports originate from. Frankly speaking, it is not me but my films which decide my salary.”

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/50208.html[/tscii:c70b99082b]

NOV
24th September 2009, 07:59 PM
Gearing up for next movie: Murugadoss

Weighed down by expectations after the mega success of Ghajini, director A.R. Murugadoss' next venture will be shot simultaneously in Tamil, Telugu and Hindi. "I had a script tailor-made for Suriya and we decided to go ahead. The grandeur will be on a larger scale than Ghajini. Both myself and Suriya are feeling the heat to churn out an entertainer matching audience expectations," says this unassuming director.

Postponing his next direct movie in Hindi, Murugadoss says wants to ensure that there is a good script to back the artistes. "It is foolhardy to decide on the star cast without a proper script," says Murugadoss, who is clear in his view that the artistes have to fit in the script and not vice versa.

About his relying only on big banners and famous artistes, Murugadoss said it has to be seen on the commercial angle. "Producers invest only on winning horses," says this affable director.

http://tamil.galatta.com/entertainment/livewire/id/Gearing_up_for_
his_next_movie_is_Murugadoss_30409.html

NOV
24th September 2009, 08:01 PM
[tscii:fff6eba993]Has Bala dumped Jiiva for Suriya?

There are lots of speculations as to what will be Bala’s next venture after Naan Kadavul. Speculations are also rife with news about his next.

Earlier there were reports that the director has announced his new assignment with Jiiva and Jithan Ramesh in the lead. Later it was alleged that Vishal may be cast. But the latest rumor is that Suriya and Karthi have been roped in for the venture.

There is no official confirmation either from the director’s side or the actors’ side. Knowing the working style of Bala, it would be a long term commitment for the actors who feature in his films. With both Suriya and Karthi busy with their committed projects one has to wait and see what transpires.

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/sep-09-04/bala-22-09-09.html[/tscii:fff6eba993]

NOV
29th September 2009, 09:50 AM
[tscii]
Surya undergoes Hindi tuition

With couple of Bollywood projects in hand, the actor spends more time in learning Hindi now. Well, if you’re guessing about his tutor, it’s not someone hired by him. It’s his sweet wife Jyothika who’s been straining herself in putting right pronunciation on his tongue.

Although, Surya is well versed with Hindi, he isn’t fluent in conversations. That urges him to set things in perfection.

His first Hindi project would be Ram Gopal Varma’s “Raktha Charithra’ where he dons the role of Bengali Naxalite. The other film is yet to be titled and is directed by “Ghajini’ fame A.R. Murugadoss. The trilingual film will be made in Hindi, Tamil and Telugu with Udayanidhi Stalin of Red Giant Movies producing it.

-R. Richard Mahesh/ Sampurn Media

NOV
4th October 2009, 08:22 AM
[tscii:7ba1792204]
“Cinema is like walking a tightrope. A good actor should realise that cinema is a business, as well as an art. A good artiste is one who balances both efficiently. I think Kamal Haasan, Suriya and Prakash Raj are doing this job pretty well.”
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/regional/news-interviews/Kartik-confesses-all/articleshow/5084276.cms[/tscii:7ba1792204]

NOV
4th October 2009, 08:27 AM
[tscii:9f04179c8a]
Vikram’s role finalized, Suriya’s remain vacant!
October 03, 2009

Keeping in line with the remake trend, Bala’s Pithamagan, released a few years ago will be remade in Hindi. The remake rights are bought by director Sathish Kaushik who has already zeroed in on Sanjay Dutt for playing Vikram’s role that fetched the actor the coveted national award.

On the other hand, Kaushik still hasn’t figured out who will play Suriya’s role and says he is yet to finalize the same. “I showed Sanjay the movie and he was completley awstruck by Suriya's performance. I will announce the other details very soon,” he was quoted as saying recently to a tabloid. [/tscii:9f04179c8a]

NOV
4th October 2009, 08:53 AM
[tscii]
Hindi magazine talks about Surya!

Suriya: Bollywood’s hottest six-pack

The Tamil superstar, set to storm Bollywood with Ram Gopal Varma’s ‘Raktha Charitra’, combines commerce and creativity in winning ways

His latest movie is releasing on Diwali, and there are promotional events to grace and interviews to give. He is also in the middle of a shoot for a new film—by the end of 2010, he will have completed two more projects. In between shoots, he appears in commercials for leading brands and attends fund-raisers for the various charities he supports, apart from the one he runs. He exercises for at least an hour every day. There is rarely a free moment in Tamil superstar Suriya’s life, but lately, a new activity has cut into his busy schedule: Hindi lessons.

For 1 hour every day for the past one month, Suriya has been learning the language that hasn’t lost its potential to raise hackles in his state. Tamil Nadu has been the most vociferous among all the southern states in rejecting Hindi as India’s national language. It is the inability to speak Hindi that prevents many southern stars from acting more frequently in Hindi movies. And it is Hindi that will give Suriya a national platform.

Early next year, he will begin shooting for Ram Gopal Varma’s Raktha Charitra, a two-part biopic based on the life of Telugu politician Paritala Ravi. Vivek Oberoi plays Ravi, while Suriya will appear as his rival, Maatal Suri. “I am in a comfort zone at the moment, and I’m very happy with what I’m doing,” Suriya says. “But I keep thinking of Kamal (Haasan) sir, who acted in so many films in so many languages. He kept breaking stereotypes throughout his career.”

Suriya might ultimately get billed as the second lead in Raktha Charitra, but followers of Tamil movies know exactly where he stands in the pecking order of male leads. He is one of contemporary Tamil cinema’s strongest box-office magnets. His footprint extends across Tamil Nadu as well as to overseas Tamil enclaves in South-East Asia, the US, the UK and the Gulf. His close rival, Vijay, is the darling of rural and small town Tamil Nadu, but Suriya recently made inroads into those territories with action-oriented spectacles Vel and Ayan. Another contemporary, Vikram, is seen as a better performer, but Suriya has also wowed critics with his work in such films as Pithamagan and Vaaranam Aayiram. Besides, the abs have it—neither Vijay nor Vikram possess the perfectly sculpted body that Suriya flaunts in almost all his films. Ultimately, Tamil movies are quite conservative despite a reputation for raunchy song-and-dance sequences and double-entendre dialogues, but all inhibitions are shed when it comes to showing off Suriya’s bare torso.

“Suriya is the most handsome hero in the south,” says cinematographer Ravi K. Chandran, who worked with him on Aayuthu Ezhuthu and will be shooting Suriya’s upcoming project with Ghajini director A.R. Murugadoss. Suriya’s dreamy eyes and toothy smile have sealed his reputation as a sex symbol among women. His six-pack takes care of the men in the audience. Suriya, however, wears his pin-up status lightly and plays down his superhero status. “My father always says that this too shall pass,” the 34-year-old actor says. “I’ve heard too many stories of success leading to downfall at the dining table at home. This fear of losing it all is deep-rooted in me. You have to prove yourself over and over again. Once you finish a movie, you move on and start another one.”

Suriya’s father, eminent yesteryears actor Sivakumar, has been a source of encouragement as well as a cause for caution. Viewers and critics were unkind to Suriya’s initial films, starting with Nerukku Ner in 1997. He worried about whether he could carry the weight of expectation of being Sivakumar’s son. Those were desperate times for the young man who had chucked a salaried job and joined the movies partly to help his father pay off a debt. “I would come home from shooting and cry into my pillow,” Suriya says about the initial days. “I wondered why I had gotten into acting, whether there was a way out.” He began to pay attention to the nuances of performance. “I began to take dance lessons,” he says. “I started watching films on television more closely.”

Suriya’s break came in 2001 with Nandha, about a boy who kills his philandering father and attempts to reconcile with his mother as an adult. Suriya singles out Nandha’s director, Bala, for transforming his career and, in particular, his approach to acting. Nandha is a brooder who barely speaks—Suriya had no more than a page of dialogue to deliver. “Bala sir was the one who told me, you have powerful eyes, use them in your acting,” Suriya says. “He taught me body language, how to smile, how to hold myself. Only after Nandha did I think that I was eligible for the movies.”

If Nandha sobered up Suriya, 2003’s Kaakha Kaakha gave him the high he had been waiting for. Gautham Menon’s wildly successful cop thriller was a big success and sealed Suriya’s screen image as a strong-and-silent romantic. Suriya’s character, Anbuselvam, is an encounter cop who takes on a psychotic villain. The plot is predictable but the movie’s appeal has everything to do with its smooth screenplay and slick Hollywood-style editing and camerawork.

Jyothika, Suriya’s co-star in the movie and future wife (they married three years ago), also made her contribution to popular cinema. Menon had already decided that he wanted Jyothika for the role of Maya, Anbuselvam’s lover. Jyothika had an idea of who could act opposite her. “Jyothika came late for the Nandha preview, ran to the projector room and saw the first 30 minutes from there,” Suriya recalls. Jyothika recommended Suriya to Menon, who, like Bala, realized the draw of Suriya’s mesmerizing gaze.

The film-making team was nervous before the movie opened. “Very few young actors had played cops,” Suriya says. “We thought the movie would work for college students.” What followed was “magic, just magic,” Suriya says. “For many in Tamil Nadu, Kaakha Kaakha was my first film.” For his role, he had shaved off his five o’clock shadow, beefed up his body and let his eyes do the talking. The heart-throb had finally been born. “Suddenly, he had became an action hero who could also be extremely confident and subtle in his emotional scenes and perform comfortably in his romantic scenes,” says Venkatesh Chakravarthy, film studies professor at Mindscreen Film Institute and a friend of Suriya’s father Sivakumar. “This transformation of the boy who started out as a shy, reticent actor is amazing.”

Suriya’s ascent is the result of a combination of raw talent, hard work, meticulous image-building and sheer luck. He wasn’t the first choice for Nandha or Ghajini, that are now considered milestones in his career path. Since Kaakha Kaakha, he has attempted to strike a balance between the roles that suit him best and the projects that he feels he must do in order to widen his base. He has done romance (Sillunu Oru Kaadhal), comedy (Peralagan) and action (Ghajini, remade in Hindi with the same title). He has tried to shake off the label of being the big-city darling by appearing in formulaic larger-than-life entertainers such as Aaru and Vel, both by G. Hari Krishnan. Suriya is currently shooting for Krishnan’s Singham. He plays a cop yet again, this time from a small town. The movie is targeted at the B and C centres—industry parlance for smaller towns and villages that constitute 40% of the Tamil film market. “I can’t say that I’m experimenting with Hari sir’s film, but I know that it won’t be bad or senseless,” Suriya says. “I do this with every third film of mine. This is the market that caters to Rajnikanth and Vijay. My films don’t always go there.”

Movies such as Ghajini or Vaaranam Aayiram made Suriya a heart-stopper in cities, but they alienated viewers who prefer earthier heroes. Chakravarthy, who had compared Vijay and Suriya in a magazine article some years ago, points out that Vijay started acting in B films and continues to “focus his energies on being the Rajnikanth No. 2, given his popularity with the subaltern Tamil youth”. In Mumbai, the multiplex has allowed offbeat films to compete with bigger releases. However, “Tamil cinema, like other regional cinema, can’t afford a multiplex film” such as Menon’s Vaaranam Aayiram, Chakravarthy adds. In Vaaranam Aayiram, Suriya plays the double role of an aimless drifter and his inspirational father. The movie has urbane characters and several lines of English dialogue. “Some said that Vaaranam Aayiram was only for double PhDs,” Suriya jokes.

Suriya has spent the last few years coming to terms with what audiences want, and how it is to be delivered to them. “I was born in Tamil Nadu, and my people are like this,” he reasons about playing the village strongman or the small-town thug. “These are real people and they come to single-screen theatres, sit on wooden benches and watch movies. I have to cater to them. I owe my status to them.” Among Suriya’s lodestars is actor and director Kamal Haasan, who has sampled both commercial and offbeat cinema throughout his career. “Kamal sir has this thirst for cinema,” Suriya says admiringly. “Even if I wasn’t an actor, I would have been drawn to the way he does different things. He has never bothered with success.”

Tamil cinema is full of examples of mavericks who have found ways to merge creativity and commerce. Right from the 1960s, actors and film-makers have tried to tell old stories in new ways, and they have found audiences willing to go along with them. The tradition of experimentation means that young actors like Suriya can pack their resumes with blockbusters as well as vanity projects. However, the absence of multiplexes means that the actors can ignore the mainstream only at their own peril—especially when Tamil movies cost more and make more money than they ever did. Sivaji, starring Rajnikanth, raked in close to Rs80 crore, while Suriya’s Ayan earned about Rs65 crore.

Suriya’s Diwali release, Aadhavan, sees him once again in populist mode, as does Krishnan’s Singham. If Suriya was larger than life in Vel, he will spill out of the screen in Singham, Krishnan promises. “Suriya is in a very good position at the moment,” he says. “Tamil audiences want both Kamal Haasan and Rajnikanth. Suriya is a bit of both.”

For Krishnan, evidence of Suriya’s growing popularity lies in the crowds that throng his outdoor shoots. One of the shoots for Singham took place in Thiru village in Tuticorin district. It was hot enough to bake a cake, and even the wind, whenever it appeared, bore heat. As Suriya stood on the seat of a jeep, grimaced and growled, and beat up a few rowdies, clusters of open-mouthed fans cheered on from the sidelines. They put their mobile phone cameras to work and resisted half-hearted attempts by policemen to leave the set. The star, in keeping with his nice-guy reputation, remained affable and obliging. “When we shot outdoors with Suriya earlier, not that many people came to watch,” Krishnan says. “Nowadays, it’s getting difficult to take him to locations.” Suriya has his own analysis of the situation. “They don’t know the real me,” he said. “I’m like Mickey Mouse for them—they stand with me and get their picture taken.”

Although Suriya is consciously trying to be a hero for the masses, he tries to ensure that “every movie will be special in some way” and that there will be “at least 10 minutes new” in each film. He insists on retakes even when film-makers are okay with a shot, often irritating some of them. “Suriya is a director’s actor,” Menon says. “You have to keep talking to him about his role and he will do everything that needs to be done to get it right. My only problem with him is his insecurity. He will insist on two or three takes, whereas I like the rawness of the first take.”

Menon and Ravi K. Chandran are wary of Suriya’s crowd-pleasing moves. Menon says: “I don’t believe that rural roles work for Suriya. The problem is that all heroes feel that they need the masses. He works best in quiet roles because he’s that kind of a guy.” Chandran adds: “I don’t like to see Suriya in commercial films, but I guess he has to do them. A hero in the south has to be everything for everybody. Suriya must keep himself focused and maintain a reality check.”

Perhaps Suriya will never forget his early failures or the reviews that advised him to be a character actor instead of a hero. “The pressure poked me,” he says. “I like to be scared, under pressure. I perform better that way.” Doggedness has now become a trademark of Suriya’s approach to acting. For Vaaranam Aayiram, he lost 10kg to look like a teenager. “I would be on the treadmill till 2.30 in the morning,” he says. “My wife used to tell me, you don’t look like the husband I know.”

It is now said that acting is in Suriya’s blood, but the fact is that his father, Sivakumar, built a wall between his profession and his family. Besides, Sarvanan, which is Suriya’s real name, doesn’t have a pleasant first memory of watching his father on screen. “I remember going at the age of 4 to a preview of one of my father’s films,” Suriya says. “He plays a Christian priest, and there’s a scene where he gets beaten up outside a church. I remember crying and I was so agitated that I had to be taken home from the preview theatre.”

Sivakumar kept his distance from the film industry, Suriya says, and encouraged his wife, two sons and one daughter to do the same. “We didn’t go for parties, and very few people from the industry came home,” Suriya recalls. He took the bus to school and college, and was more preoccupied with his grades than the movies. “I was a reserved kid and I had a complex that I couldn’t speak well,” Suriya says. “I never got good marks in school or college, and that affected my confidence. I didn’t know what to do with my life.” He eventually graduated in commerce and worked at BNT Exports in Chennai for over two years before joining the movies. “I used to earn about Rs800 a month at the garment unit,” he says. “I earned Rs50,000 for my first film. I was paid in cash in a white envelope—I can still feel those notes.”

Suriya continues to live with his parents, his siblings and his wife and two-year-old daughter Diya in Chennai’s T. Nagar neighbourhood. Jyothika, a Punjabi from Mumbai who had a successful run in Tamil films until her marriage, is Suriya’s Hindi movie watching companion. The attractive couple endorse a few products together, and are the picture of married bliss. Jyothika acted with Suriya in her first Tamil movie, and they started seeing each soon after. “There was something about her,” Suriya says. “I was a bit protective of her. My fan base expanded after I married her.”

That fan base could exponentially increase if Ram Gopal Varma returns to form with Raktha Charitra. Suriya’s Bollywood adventure would have taken place earlier had he accepted the films he was being offered by Mumbai directors. His rapport with and admiration for Varma helped him decide on Raktha Charitra. Apart from grasping the arithmetic of Tamil cinema, Suriya has also been keeping an eye on his counterparts in Mumbai, even as he complains that the idea of Bollywood can be overpowering. “We envy the budget and canvas to do things in Mumbai,” Suriya says. “Kaakha Kaakha cost Rs3 crore. Ghajini, Rs7 crore.” That too is changing. Tamil movies are now costlier—Ayan cost about Rs20 crore, Aadhavan came with a bill of Rs25 crore. Suriya’s acting fee alone is said to be about Rs5 crore. As Tamil cinema tries to become bigger than it already is, one of its brightest names prepares for new challenges. Raktha Charitra isn’t just Suriya’s Hindi movie debut. He will play a villain for the first time. “I would love to play a black character,” Suriya says. “With Varma, I can see the transition happening.”

Nandini Ramnath is the film editor of Time Out Mumbai (www.timeoutmumbai.net).

http://www.livemint.com/2009/10/02211011/Suriya-Bollywood8217s-hott.html]

littlemaster1982
4th October 2009, 09:03 AM
[tscii:94c63990a0]
“I can’t say that I’m experimenting with Hari sir’s film, but I know that it won’t be bad or senseless,”

:lol2:[/tscii:94c63990a0]

Plum
4th October 2009, 10:33 AM
I fervently wish a flop for aadhavan. Vijay/ajith kuppainnu sollittu, ivaru mattum adhe maadhiri padathula nadich oputhukkanuma? En, adhe ksr dhaane director? Suryava vechu edutha mattum apdiye kaaviyamaa eduthuda porar?

P_R
4th October 2009, 10:41 AM
GM to Senthil in Jallikkattu kaaLai

You mean vidhaikkiravanai paarkkadheenga, viLaiyura nilathai paarunga 'ngra.

HonestRaj
4th October 2009, 05:38 PM
I fervently wish a flop for aadhavan. Vijay/ajith kuppainnu sollittu, ivaru mattum adhe maadhiri padathula nadich oputhukkanuma? En, adhe ksr dhaane director? Suryava vechu edutha mattum apdiye kaaviyamaa eduthuda porar?

sorry Plum.. Aadhavan is going to get a grand opening..

already they have blocked all the main theaters in Kovai & chennai too

http://www.dailythanthi.com/thanthiepaper/4102009/cbefe0410pa23athavan.jpg

main theaters list mattumthan kuduthurrukkanga.. chinna threaters list innum podalai.. expect another 5 more (in kovai )

Rajini padam alavukku irukku.. theater list

karthiknfr
4th October 2009, 05:48 PM
Thats all because of Red giant movies.......

karthiknfr
4th October 2009, 05:48 PM
No such gr8 expectations.......
Do not forget Saravanaa by K.S.R