PDA

View Full Version : Ultra-expressive, pala emotions-la pongum heroines

Plum
5th April 2009, 02:55 PM
In exploring the history of over-coated, ultra-painted, decorated expression giving artistes in the history of Tamil cinema, this forum discovered that the category of female artistes in lead roles deserved a separate thread of their own - such being the impact of these femmes fatale. Recognising the urge of the average hubber to let go ont hem in a focussed manner, without being distracted by discussions on AVM Rajans and Baby Shalinis, we provide this dedicated topic for our 'heroines'. Let's go, start!

Plum
5th April 2009, 02:56 PM
Candidates so far:

1. Oru shot-ku 1000 expressions(relevant or irrelevant) kodukkum '1000-wallah' Jyothika
2. 'Gopaalllll' Sarojadevi
3. 'Nattiya Peroli', 'Bhaavakalajothi' Padmini

Vivasaayi
5th April 2009, 02:56 PM
jothika - first nominee

Plum
5th April 2009, 02:59 PM
Case File on Jyothika

tampered by plum to change context
I agree that, by Jyothika's own standards, her act in Mozhi was a controlled performance. But then it's like appreciating it because it wasn't as horrendous as it could have been. And let's also look at her whole career which for all practical purposes was built on exploring newer dimensions in expressing ridiculous things/thoughts/ideas via one's face, hands, fingers, torso and so on. Such horror.

For a thread like this, I'd expect her to be up there. She was an actress who had no idea what her lines meant, and as if to make up for that, she tried to convey the meaning of the lines with her body language. If she is supposed to be angry, she'd twist her torso a bit, raise her finger, tilt her head and give a variation of the Kubrick stare. This is domestic horror.

Plum
5th April 2009, 03:02 PM
Nerd, do you want to take over this thread duties? As I said before, pommaattinga karainja nekku...

littlemaster1982
5th April 2009, 03:17 PM
I nominate Sneha :x

Vivasaayi
5th April 2009, 03:18 PM
KR Vijaya

mexicomeat
5th April 2009, 03:27 PM
i nominate gandhimathi

Vivasaayi
5th April 2009, 03:28 PM
i nominate gandhimathi

heroines!

Raikkonen
5th April 2009, 04:40 PM
jothika :banghead:

sarna_blr
5th April 2009, 05:02 PM
shreya :lol2:

Plum
5th April 2009, 05:57 PM
All one line nominations rejeeted :-)
Done-a application potta dhaan consider

jaaze
5th April 2009, 06:11 PM
namitha :boo:

Plum
5th April 2009, 06:16 PM
(Talent)-ai over expose pannavanga pathi thread aarambicha, neenga ellam zimply overexpose pandravanga pathi pesureenga? Idhula edho sadhi - idhu saripadadhu;nerd, indha vaaliba vayasu pasangalai neengale samalinga - thread handed over to nerd!

sarna_blr
5th April 2009, 06:29 PM
All one line nominations rejeeted :-)
Done-a application potta dhaan consider

:? puriyalayE :roll:

pavalamani pragasam
5th April 2009, 07:00 PM
What about T.R.Rajakumari, Banumathi, M.N.Rajam, Anjali Devi etc?

Nerd
5th April 2009, 09:53 PM
Plum,
Palakkamilleeng. And nobody can replace you. Let this thread be dormant for a while until you (we) finalize nominees for the other one.

LM, sneha :shock:
Sarna, Shreya ennaikku act panninAnga? Over-emoting-kku???

jaaze
5th April 2009, 09:55 PM
Case File :rotfl:
sari, ithukkellam evvalavu sambalam koduppeenga? :huh:

sarna_blr
5th April 2009, 09:55 PM
Sarna, Shreya ennaikku act panninAnga? Over-emoting-kku???

song'sla palavidhamaana mugabaavangal kaattuvaanga :P

Shakthiprabha.
5th April 2009, 09:56 PM
Wanna nominate

Vijaykumari
Padmini
Savithri
KRV

esp savithri and krv type heroines has those weird lip movements to show their surging emotions which surges my irrirtation at times.

(appuram thonina solren)

viraajan
5th April 2009, 09:58 PM
sothikA :redjump:

keep her in at first place in the list :hammer:

littlemaster1982
5th April 2009, 10:03 PM
LM, sneha :shock:

I can never forget April Maadhathil for her atrocious overacting. Especially the scene where she scolds her friends for wanting to stay out of Srikanth's home.

Adhukkappuram ella padatthulaiyume orey maadhiri acting-dhan. I hate her :twisted:

Pudhupettai is an exception.

viraajan
5th April 2009, 10:04 PM
Sneha was good at Vasool Raja i think :?

Prathiban Kanavu also :?

Kumarappa
5th April 2009, 10:11 PM
Sneha was good at Vasool Raja i think :?

Prathiban Kanavu also :?

and especially in Pudhupettai and Pirivom Sandhippom (Sneha illama antha padatha paarkave mudiyathu!

Jothika would also be my top nominee.

Nerd
5th April 2009, 10:13 PM
Though I have seen April mAdhathil, neenga solRa scene nyaabagathula illai. I am blessed perhaps, but andha maram-climax esra nallA nyaabagathula irukku. Sirigaandh was so horrible that I was able to overlook sneha. I found sneha very good in:
-virumbukiREn
-HNRI
-Autograph
-PudhupEttai
-PirivOm santhippOm

littlemaster1982
5th April 2009, 10:26 PM
It's not that she is horrible, but somehow I find her so annoying, especially when she flashes her teeth often.

Shakthiprabha.
5th April 2009, 10:35 PM
Hey pps this thread is NOT about which artist is NOT UR FAV or who did not perform well etc.

This is about who EMOTES more than actually called for :?

Ive nominated

krv
padmini
savithri
and vijaykumari

I aint too fond of savithri (but do like her)
I aitn too fond of padmini (but do like her)
but I AM ACTUALLY FOND OF krv and vijaykumari :?

so...there it goes, this is NOT ABOUT whoze not ur fav :?

jaaze
5th April 2009, 10:37 PM
Hey pps this thread is NOT about which artist is NOT UR FAV or who did not perform well etc.

This is about who EMOTES more than actually called for :? Namitha fits the bill (though she may not fit the screen) but sonna chinna pulla thanama irukkunnu solraanga :x

Plum
5th April 2009, 10:40 PM
Nerd, andha thread-la votelam count panni pottengale adhunala dhaan sonnaen.
Indha thread edho oru ilaignar djaan ethu nadathanumnu mudiva irukken...
Sambalama? Adhellam nov kitta dhaan ketkanum.

Krv and vijayakumari open categoryleye potti podaranga -

Raikkonen
genelia.. she was ok in sachein. but in santosh suppi :banghead: asal loosu thandov

Shakthiprabha.
I agree with siva

jaaze
5th April 2009, 10:51 PM
genelia.. she was ok in sachein. but in santosh suppi :banghead: asal loosu thandov Paavam genelia, appadi nadikka solli remake raja sonna avanga enna pannuvanga :(

Raikkonen
5th April 2009, 10:53 PM
irunthalum sontha nadippu nu onnu irukkilla..

avangathan original padamum pannanga :lol:

littlemaster1982
5th April 2009, 11:39 PM

This is about who EMOTES more than actually called for :?

Ive nominated

krv
padmini
savithri
and vijaykumari

I aint too fond of savithri (but do like her)
I aitn too fond of padmini (but do like her)
but I AM ACTUALLY FOND OF krv and vijaykumari :?

so...there it goes, this is NOT ABOUT whoze not ur fav :?

I also told that Sneha overacts and oversmiles (if such term exists).

mexicomeat
6th April 2009, 03:03 AM
i nominate

revathi
suhasini
rohini
oorvasi

NOV
6th April 2009, 06:06 AM
nyaayam, dharmam ellaam seththu pOchu.
how can anyone say Sneha is annoying? :x She is the epitome of feminity and grace.

as a show of protest, I am walking off the thread right now. :evil:

Mahen
6th April 2009, 07:23 AM
how can anyone say Sneha is annoying? :x She is the epitome of feminity and grace.

Sneha does overact/smiles...Fulla sari/sudithar potta odena epitome of feminity/grace athu ithune :sigh2:

Mahen
6th April 2009, 07:31 AM
Tamannaah in Kedi and Kallori... :) Very expressive in both the films...But in Ayan, KV anand was sooo into Surya that he ignored Tammu's acting talent completely.. :x No worries AT is releasing very soon, she definitely showcase her acting talent in AT

littlemaster1982
6th April 2009, 07:46 AM

Obviously you have not seen her latest makeover. Once you do, you would walk out of her fan club :poke:

Mahen :thumbsup:

Plum
6th April 2009, 11:14 AM
Indha thread-la quote pandra paadhi actress enakku theriyave illai - Tamanna et al - Nerd, neenga dhaan ethu nadathanum. Illaina, littlemaster yaaravadhu nadathungpa.

P_R
6th April 2009, 11:15 AM
genelia.. she was ok in sachein. but in santosh suppi :banghead: asal loosu thandov Paavam genelia, appadi nadikka solli remake raja sonna avanga enna pannuvanga :(
:exactly:

naan yErkanavE oru thadavai solli irukkEn

Original director appidi oru characterization ezhudhittAn - thappu dhaan
Remake Raja innum konjam adhigamA nadikka vachchittAn - adhuvum thappu dhaan

andha poNNu eNNaNNEn thappu paNNichchu.... adhu pachchai maNNuNNEn :mrgreen:

Plum
6th April 2009, 11:20 AM
PR, adhellam kidaiyadhu. Rules-na ellorukkum onnu dhaan - ungalukku venumna manu ezhudi kodunga - "en peru innadhu, andha ponnu peru innadhu, naanga rendu perum kaadhalikkirom..." etc

P_R
6th April 2009, 11:22 AM
appuram poojA-vOda vaazhkkai ?

Plum
6th April 2009, 11:29 AM
adhai thandavan paarthuppan.

VENKIRAJA
6th April 2009, 01:21 PM
appuram poojA-vOda vaazhkkai ?

:lol:

Raikkonen
6th April 2009, 01:24 PM
:exactly:

naan yErkanavE oru thadavai solli irukkEn

Original director appidi oru characterization ezhudhittAn - thappu dhaan
Remake Raja innum konjam adhigamA nadikka vachchittAn - adhuvum thappu dhaan

andha poNNu eNNaNNEn thappu paNNichchu.... adhu pachchai maNNuNNEn :mrgreen:

solli koduthathe nadikama konjam (konjamaaaa???) overa nadichalum thapputhen...
original nadichatavade innum loosutanama nadichalum thapputhen..

P_R
6th April 2009, 02:14 PM
andha kuzhandhaiya kuRai solla ungaLukku eppidi dhaan manasu varudhO :sigh2:

Solli kudukkura directonukku enga pOchchu...
"endha motion-um vENdAm" appidinnu avan dhaanE sollaNum
adhu illainnA, thiramaisaaligaL kEkkuradhai kodukka dhaan seyvaanga. Vietnam Veedu pAththirukkeengaLA ? (innikku kadai adaippu uRudhi)

Plum
6th April 2009, 02:29 PM
Do you realise that 'Baby' Shalini can have a similar justification?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
6th April 2009, 02:32 PM
Jothika on nominee list top

oru reaction kaatta sonna enga ombothu reaction kaatreenga - dialaak by sombu

nai kannu pei kannu nalla kannu nolla kannu....for each kannu each reaksen in Saravanaa, again a sombu philim

Nerd
6th April 2009, 07:01 PM
Idhu nyaayamaana pEchu. Aanaa enakku Genelia-vum vENdAm, Shaliniyum vENdAm. :mrgreen: (I mean in the candidate list)

Shakthiprabha.
6th April 2009, 07:02 PM
adhai thandavan paarthuppan.

:lol2:

littlemaster1982
6th April 2009, 07:07 PM
Idhu nyaayamaana pEchu. Aanaa enakku Genelia-vum vENdAm, Shaliniyum vENdAm. :mrgreen: (I mean in the candidate list)

Agree :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Plum
6th April 2009, 07:08 PM
Shalini andha thread-la list-la irukkanga. Indha thread-ai konja naal lock panna sollanum. Appo dhaan andha panchayathai mudichitti inge varalam.

Mods, lock this thread temporarily please - we'll reopen after crowning either AVM Rajan or 'baby' shalini in the other thread!

littlemaster1982
6th April 2009, 07:10 PM
Adhellam sari, idhula Saroja Devi kandippa irukkanga illa :huh: :evil: Innaikku kooda KTV-la oru MGR padam paarthen.

10 option-um Saroja Devi-dhaan :yes:

Plum
6th April 2009, 07:43 PM
LM, unga viruppam nichayama niraiverum. First post paarunga - Jyothika, Sarojadevi and Padmini are already in nominations.

P_R
6th April 2009, 07:54 PM

Plum, ennanga ippidi pEsureenga.

siththerumbu seenduradhukkum, yaanai nenjila yEri midhikkiradhukkum vidhyAsam illaiyA....

What is the single redeeming performance Baby Shalini has in her entire career. How many different directors and still the same Shalini.

Genelia was 'different' in Sachin, SS, Boyz, JTYJN. Shades of similarity yes, but I don't think even the worst detractors will say she is 'always' irritating. I submit this as evidence that while she occasionally obliges directors there is nothing fundamentally obnoxious about her 'oeuvre'

Shalini OTOH is the kid who should have received GM's "indhiyAvin edhirkaala thoonkaL" sideways kick. Matter of fact I think I always mess with my memory and replace the boy in the joke with her and that is why I enjoy it even more.

EllAththukkum mEla , I am astounded that astounded by the kind of hate Genelia seems to receive in these parts. In the intro scene in SS where she makes her mark as the dimwit with her kombu muLaikkum sendimend, Jayam Ravi stands stumped because he doesn't understand if that is for real (actually, that's his stock expression). In a matter of fact manner she throws in the question: "theriyaadhA..?"
She asks that in all sincerity. None of you liked even that ??

Anyway my passionate hatred for Baby Shalini more than outweighs my ...er.. appreciation for Genelia, so if push comes to shove I will grit and bear Genelia on the list but on no account should Shalini be excluded from the list - appuram list-kkE meaning illAma pOyidum.

Nerd
6th April 2009, 08:16 PM
ivLO periya essay?! Seri seri but make sure that poll option reads 'Baby' Shalini :twisted:

app_engine
6th April 2009, 08:51 PM
I'm with PR here. I didn't like the irritating character of SS, but one cannot blame the actress for that. That's the way the character is built (and it'll be the same whatever languages the movie is remade. for e.g. Sridevi cannot and should not act mature if moondRAm piRai is made in another lang by another director, right?).

Ofcourse, if the actress is doing the same 'kOnangi' stuff in every movie she acts in, then it's possible to consider nomination. I haven't seen any other movie by her and so cannot comment on that.

crajkumar_be
6th April 2009, 09:05 PM
Genelia - 'Overacts' may not be the most appropriate word.
She will be the sole member of a "NA-actress-executing-a-NA-characterization-in-the-only-way-she-knows" or some such thing. appadi oru list ennaikkaacham vandha i will be the sole voter

VENKIRAJA
6th April 2009, 11:28 PM

Plum, ennanga ippidi pEsureenga.

pazhanichAmy, "endha dhairiyathula ipudi pEsuRE? EdhO ivara mAdhiri 4 pEru irukkuRathunAla thAn mokka pOttukittu irukkuROm.

In the intro scene in SS where she makes her mark as the dimwit with her kombu muLaikkum sendimend, Jayam Ravi stands stumped because he doesn't understand if that is for real (actually, that's his stock expression).

:rotfl:
AnA chellAdhu chellAdhu!

Mahen
7th April 2009, 12:13 AM
Take this :)
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/imagegallery/galleryDetail.php?id=jeglSWfdfjc&title=Tamannaah_s_moods_in_I_Anantha_Thandavam_I_

groucho070
7th April 2009, 07:20 AM
Jothika should not qualify here. She's just a bad actress with about two or three expressions. Avvalavuthan.

Pala expressions-na, Vijayakumari-ku is a class of her own. That's for sure. I said this before and I would like to bring that scene from Kallum Kaniyagum again, where TMS sings beautifully about music, and she does a sexy routine until the snake that was there, that took note of our disgust, does its job promptly and accurately. Sambanthamee illatha nadippu = Vijaya Kumari.

Dilbert
7th April 2009, 11:11 AM
Groucho garu .. is she the same lady who acted in Manogara ??

groucho070
7th April 2009, 11:22 AM
Groucho garu .. is she the same lady who acted in Manogara ??

Lethu. She was the Kannagi of the 60s (I understand there were earlier versions) who don the same, albeit as mentally challenged woman person in the opening of Thenaali.

She can be seen in Pachai Vilakku as NT's sister, in Aalayamani as SSR's lover (Tookkamum kankalai Tazhuvattumey).

I think you meant Kannamba, who, as Joe mentioned, if were to appear you better get your kerchief ready.

P_R
7th April 2009, 11:31 AM
Kannamba was the kannaGi in the earlier version

muraichchu pArththAlE ooru thee pudichchu eRiyum

groucho070
7th April 2009, 11:39 AM
muraichchu pArththAlE ooru thee pudichchu eRiyum

Her acting during fiery scenes is simple, raise the head bit by bit - until the climactic roar. Watch the "Ponngi Yezhu" Manogara scene. Pretty simple actually. She had her moments. I prefer her in contemporary roles, like Padikaatha Meethai. But I'd generally will avoid her films if there is no NT in it to balanced things out (NTku ithey velaiyaa poochu, in several instances).

Plum
7th April 2009, 11:56 AM
People, please attend to the
unfinished business (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=12910)
first.
Let's come back to the heroines later.

This thread is for Women's Grandmaster of over-expression; 'Baby' Shalini, KR Vijaya and Vijayakumari are too good for the women's title so like the Polgar sisters, they are
participating in the main category there.

We'll comeback to this thread later.

jaaze
7th April 2009, 12:03 PM
People, please attend to the
unfinished business (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=12910)
first.
Let's come back to the heroines later.

This thread is for Women's Grandmaster of over-expression; 'Baby' Shalini, KR Vijaya and Vijayakumari are too good for the women's title so like the Polgar sisters, they are
participating in the main category there.

We'll comeback to this thread later. :rotfl:

MADDY
7th April 2009, 12:10 PM
Take this :)
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/imagegallery/galleryDetail.php?id=jeglSWfdfjc&title=Tamannaah_s_moods_in_I_Anantha_Thandavam_I_

chaa, indha ponnu yen indha list-la sekkureenga?? mogathha paarunga, idhu pachha mannu :)

Plum
7th April 2009, 12:13 PM
Maddy, enakku andha ponnu yaarunne theriyalai - andha oru reasonkagave case dismiss pannidaren - ennaiya maadhiri oru kala rasiganoda attention-aiye attract panna theriyalai - idhu enge act panni, over act panni, jyothika levelkku vandhu...:-)

Dilbert
8th April 2009, 02:26 AM
I think you meant Kannamba, who, as Joe mentioned, if were to appear you better get your kerchief ready.

:lol: :shock: yaaba.. saema actresses..

bimmer
13th April 2009, 10:45 AM
Don't Forget Meena...

Raikkonen
13th April 2009, 11:00 AM
Don't Forget Meena...

marakka koodiya figuerah meena?