PDA

View Full Version : Tolkien

eromis
16th January 2005, 08:59 AM
I found an older post asking for interpretations of the following. So i am just renewing the topic. If anyone has any other ideas about it I would love to read about them

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost
From the ashes a fire shall be woken
A light from the shadows shall spring
Renewed shall be the blade that was broken
The crownless again shall be King
-- J.R.R. Tolkien (LOTR)

This is a lovely poem written about Aragon by Bilbo. Follows is my take on the poem.

All that is gold does not glitter
This means not every thing of worth (ie Aragon) shows its brilliance by its outward appearance.

Not all those who wander are lost
Aragon, because of his birth right, must always be moving for as a ranger he has many duties and he has many trails to face to help restore the glory of men. He journeys or wanders, but with specific purpose.
*note Aragon never wanted to seize power

The old that is strong does not whither
This brings up two references. First the immense history and power that lies in Aragon's heritage from Gondor represented in the White Tree Of Numenoir. Second although the line of kings has dwindled, it is unbroken and still holds merit.

Deep roots are not reached by the frost
Again with the White Tree image; Aragon is still connected to the history of his people with large thanks to the elves. The frost of time could not touch him or it.

The rest simpily means from the brink the age will be deilvered when the sword of kings is remade. Following The line of kings will be renewed by Aragon and Arwen and the age of men will begin.

--Amy

RR
16th January 2005, 09:50 AM
Old responses: http://forumhub.com/elit/4482.01.09.19.html

aravindhan
17th January 2005, 07:10 PM
The old that is strong does not wither
This brings up two references. First the immense history and power that lies in Aragon's heritage from Gondor represented in the White Tree Of Numenoir. Second although the line of kings has dwindled, it is unbroken and still holds merit.

There's additional imagery here as well. Gondor tends to regard the northern line as "a ragged house long bereft of lordship and dignity", and the line's a powerful counter to that. The White Tree of Numenor in Gondor stands old and withered and their line of kings has vanished; but Aragorn's line stands strong and unwithered, though Gondor has far greater material wealth and power.

The contrast between the "withered" state of Gondor and the "unwithered strength" of Aragorn is reinforced towards the end of the book by the discovery of a sapling of the White Tree after Aragorn's coronation, to replace the withered tree.[/quote]

Surya
20th January 2005, 08:53 AM
:shock:

aravindhan
22nd January 2005, 05:21 AM
:shock:

As the old saying goes, don't judge a book by it's movie. ;)

Surya
22nd January 2005, 07:33 AM
:lol2:
I've read the book, but just as a book, but some people here have analyzed the charecters and such. That's cool, I'm gonna try that.

Regards. 8)

Mad Max
31st January 2005, 07:57 AM
Try reading the Silmarillion. It is a very very difficult read but once you read it you will find your enjoyment of reading LOTR and The Hobbit increases immensely, as you understand the history behind each character as well as the history of Middle Earth completely.

I repeat the caveat that it is very very dry reading.