PDA

View Full Version : KamalHassan's post 90's-Comedies

Pages : [1] 2

Plum
4th May 2009, 08:19 PM
Spin-off from High Expectations thread where Kamlhassan's comedies were being dissected. Or, in other words, NOV is going to write an essay on "Why Thenali is better than MMKR" :-)

My purpose is to see a discussion on the merits of the post 90's comedies of Kamal. Indha visaranaila pala unmaigalai veli kondu varadhu HUB members poruppu.
My humble suggestion is not to question any HUBBER's preference -even if you cannot fathom why a hubber made a particular choice, I'd be very happy if we can refrain from "ada paavi, andha padama" reactions. Ideally speaking, the advocates for each movie will articulate and advocate the specific merits of each movie. Obviously, with these movies being in different sub-genres, any equanimus-type symposium on analysis of the sub-genre and why the particular movie belongs to that sub-genre is welcome. Illainalaum, simple-a ungalukku en a particular comedy pidichudhunu discuss pannnunga. One more request, let's not
discuss the demerits of particular movies here. adhukku thaniya thread pottukkalam

Plum
4th May 2009, 08:22 PM
More importantly, I am rejecting the "anubavikkanum, aaraya koodadhu" diktat.
Prabhu Ram, Equanimus: Romba edhir paarkaren unga kitta. Andha diktat solli ungalai pesa vudama thaduthavangalai ellam manasala etti udiachuttu, full freedom-oda, analyseo analyse pannunga.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
4th May 2009, 08:27 PM
Spin-off from High Expectations thread where Kamlhassan's comedies were being dissected. Or, in other words, NOV is going to write an essay on "Why Thenali is better than MMKR" :-)

Tenali - jayaram shown as a dumb fool or so, even thats ok. the 1st half is interesting, where tenali is randomly sent out but manages to come home. 2nd half is somewhat dumb and boring...only climax saves

MMKR - complete entertainer, movie runs fast starting from beginning. usually kamal films with many characters - dasa, virumandi, MMKR, kaathalaa kaathalaa ect are more interesting, but those with less characters, like VRMBBS, tenali are less interesting

but, some common fans like these movies much more, i wonder why!

equanimus
4th May 2009, 08:29 PM
nAn pala varushamA adhi bayangaramA ArAynjirukkEn indha topic'ai! ekkachchakka theories. appuRamA varuththap pada mAttIngaLE?

P_R
4th May 2009, 08:35 PM
My humble suggestion is not to question any HUBBER's preference -even if you cannot fathom why a hubber made a particular choice, I'd be very happy if we can refrain from "ada paavi, andha padama" reactions.

adhu avanga avanga nadandhukkradha poRuththadhu :twisted:

Plum
4th May 2009, 08:40 PM
nAn pala varushamA adhi bayangaramA ArAynjirukkEn indha topic'ai! ekkachchakka theories. appuRamA varuththap pada mAttIngaLE?

No way. ennoDa nOkkamE andha theories-ai veLikondu varuvadhu dhAn. Do not hold back. Kotti theerthudunga :-)

Plum
4th May 2009, 08:40 PM
My humble suggestion is not to question any HUBBER's preference -even if you cannot fathom why a hubber made a particular choice, I'd be very happy if we can refrain from "ada paavi, andha padama" reactions.

adhu avanga avanga nadandhukkradha poRuththadhu :twisted:
Yeah, ellorukkum solraen. Ellorum adhai kettal, prachnai varadhu :-)

Plum
4th May 2009, 08:42 PM

Tenali - jayaram shown as a dumb fool or so, even thats ok. the 1st half is interesting, where tenali is randomly sent out but manages to come home. 2nd half is somewhat dumb and boring...only climax saves

MMKR - complete entertainer, movie runs fast starting from beginning. usually kamal films with many characters - dasa, virumandi, MMKR, kaathalaa kaathalaa ect are more interesting, but those with less characters, like VRMBBS, tenali are less interesting

but, some common fans like these movies much more, i wonder why!

No, no, no. Indha discussion venaame please. Adhu avanga pirappurimai. Objection over-ruled :-)

Plum
4th May 2009, 08:53 PM
movie:Michael Madana Kama Rajan
genre: Michael Madana Kama Rajan :-)
This is an unique movie, absolutely original, a pleasant culmination of ideas bubbling forth from that busy head of Kamal, a triumph in execution of bringing on-screen the 1000 brilliant ideas that run through Kamal's mind simultaneously. It doesnt matter who deserves the credit. Singeetham or Crazy or Kamal. The perfection it touched in terms of bringing Kamal's multiple ideas to the fore without distracting the viewer or stopping-and-sermonising or stopping-and-pontificating-pointlessly is unmatched. I'd put it down as a contender for the all time best from Tamil filmdom. The closest Bollywood can cite is Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron, which is a much lesser achievement with much better underlying script material.
Even the much derided climax has so many wonderful moments of fun - from VAM's "kizhinjudhu idhula telungu vera" to Kameswaran's "vegetarian illaiya" to "Boss, 12 maanga" to the "edhavadhu podunga boss", the movie never fails to extract humour out of every second of the screenplay. The humour could be word-play(I mean what I mean) to downright physical(kameswaran crawling along to the refrain "bheem bai bheem bai") to toilet(edhavadhu podunga boss) to absurdo-situational(12 maanga boss). The movie explores every possible strand of humour, and that is why it stands apart for me. The characterisation, and how each character traverses his character-arc seamlessly, and maintaining that even in the faricicial climax - look at the way each character descends down the rope, with Michael showing his machismo by jumping down. Look at each member of the cast reacting to each event, it takes multiple viewings to recognise VAM's "kizhinjidhu, telugu vera" reaction. It is almost real-life. Thats how we are, arent we? We REACT to situations around us. There are set-pieces, but in each of these, every character reacts. And that sets it apart really. Idhukku mela equanimus ezhudhuvaar. Soda theerndhu pochu.

Plum
4th May 2009, 08:57 PM
To add to that, nagesh delivers so many "punchy" humour lines but not a single line is out of character or stick out like it was put in there for comic effect. The lines are natural reactions of that character, and still serve as stand-alone jokes. That is the kind of genius we are talking about here. This is true of most characters, situations and dialogues. One exception I can think of is SN Lakshmi executing that flying dive etc, which was the only abaswaram for me in the movie but even that was only out of character, not unfunny. So, we are talking about a movie in which characters go through their life and react accordingly, while it also serves as a sequence of comic set-pieces, with very few exceptions. And even in the exceptions, they ARE FUNNY. So, we have sequences which are
1) FUNNY and NATURAL - 95%
2) FUNNY but not natural - hardly 5%.
I personally feel that none of the subsequent movies could stand up on this aspect( and I am breaking my rule myself there, nevertheless, some things have to be told)

P_R
4th May 2009, 08:58 PM
Exactky Plum.
It is the way funny is. vEra enna solradhu.

the movie never fails to extract humour out of every second of the screenplay. Yes. I doubt if any movie in any language can boast of this

Shakthiprabha.
4th May 2009, 09:02 PM
Every kamal's comedy rock. Though I am thoroughly doing injustice by not opting for other movies, which I enjoyed, I still feel MMKR has en edge over others.

Plum
4th May 2009, 09:03 PM
Before I forget, the "nadodi mannala varume" is actually a satire on the south indian middle class propensity to push sex education under the carpet - a point which Anban ruingly touched upon recently.

joe
4th May 2009, 09:05 PM
IMO ,As a whole MMKR is best among kamal's comedy movies because of it's unique screen play and great characterization , SathiLeevathi beats MMKR in making more laughter.

P_R
4th May 2009, 09:07 PM
Before I forget, the "nadodi mannala varume" is actually a satire on the south indian middle class propensity to push sex education under the carpet - a point which Anban ruingly touched upon recently.
While at it..

isn't "ooththi kudungO" a misregistering of the Palakkad register.

Plum
4th May 2009, 09:11 PM
yes, it is mis-registering, I think. But palakkad is explicitly mentioned somewhere in that movie as bkg?

app_engine
4th May 2009, 09:13 PM
MMKR - the way Kamal 'komattifies' when pulling out the karuvAdu from packet and smelling :lol:

It's quite dangerous to even think of that scene in the workplace - people will think I'm crazy :-)

Shakthiprabha.
4th May 2009, 09:15 PM
I think its the overall entertaining element present in the movie (with kamal in 4 chars) and lead heroines rocking along with him in added the cream.

P_R
4th May 2009, 09:16 PM
yes, it is mis-registering, I think. But palakkad is explicitly mentioned somewhere in that movie as bkg? eh ? puriyara maadhiri ezhudhungappA :P

P_R
4th May 2009, 09:16 PM
MMKR - the way Kamal 'komattifies' when pulling out the karuvAdu from packet and smelling :lol:

He will be sniffing around in the whole scene
appA nee kuLichiyO 'lliyO :rotfl:

Shakthiprabha.
4th May 2009, 09:19 PM
I loved urvashi's reaction when she sees nagesh in her bed-room on her special night :rotfl2:

"aaaaaah" :lol2:

Plum
4th May 2009, 09:24 PM
yes, it is mis-registering, I think. But palakkad is explicitly mentioned somewhere in that movie as bkg? eh ? puriyara maadhiri ezhudhungappA :P
background :-)

equanimus
4th May 2009, 09:42 PM
Some (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub//viewtopic.php?p=1185987#1185987) earlier (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub//viewtopic.php?p=1188761#1188761) posts (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub//viewtopic.php?p=1188927#1188927) on (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub//viewtopic.php?p=1188933#1188933) MMKR (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub//viewtopic.php?p=1188978#1188978) by (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1321603#1321603) yours (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1321912#1321912) truly (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1322155#1322155).

P_R
4th May 2009, 09:51 PM
Some (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub//viewtopic.php?p=1185987#1185987) earlier (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub//viewtopic.php?p=1188761#1188761) posts (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub//viewtopic.php?p=1188927#1188927) by (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub//viewtopic.php?p=1188933#1188933) yours (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub//viewtopic.php?p=1188978#1188978) truly (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1321603#1321603) on (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1321912#1321912) MMKR (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1322155#1322155).

andha kaalathula,...chinna kuzhandhaiyA irukkurappA evvaLO emoticon pOttirukkAr paarunga.

equanimus
4th May 2009, 10:03 PM
Ha ha, true, PR! I was thinking of the same as I dug up these posts. It's all about recovering one's true self from the stock characteristics that any new medium offers! ;)

app_engine
4th May 2009, 10:20 PM

Kameswaran mentions this to the cook in Madan's house when Urvashi cuts in "போறும் பொறந்தாத்துப்பெருமை" or something like that :-)

P_R
4th May 2009, 10:23 PM

Kameswaran mentions this to the cook in Madan's house when Urvashi cuts in "போறும் பொறந்தாத்துப்பெருமை" or something like that :-)

K: namaskaaram naanum cook-u dhaan. neenga SaivamA military-A
Venkadesan: reNdum
K: naan saivam...paalakkattu maNi iyer-ai theriyumO
Thiruppu: pOdhum...poRandhaaththu perumai...varELA

app_engine
4th May 2009, 10:26 PM
I think apoorva sahOdhararkaL can be in the list too (1990?)...The 'nettai' Kamal is as hilarious as some characters of MMKR (and also the Janakaraj - Shivaji combo).

I think all the laugh-riots of Kamal had their beginning in AS...(the ones prior aren't as significant as the serious ones)

P_R
4th May 2009, 10:30 PM
1) FUNNY and NATURAL - 95%
2) FUNNY but not natural - hardly 5%.
Yes. Of course, it goes without that being unnatural is a vice- particularly in comedy.

MMKR is just funny as is...in the reality of those characters

Singaapore-la pOna kuttingaLLAm thotti-la vachchu kuLippAttuvaangaLAam. idhai ellAm anubavikkAma appAvai saava solRiyAppA.. (what an emotional appeal, quite becoming of binocular snatching to come)

As Kamal is lost in thought the Santhanabarathy shares a wink with RS Sivaji.

Thirumaran
4th May 2009, 10:45 PM
MMKR of course :thumbsup:

Plum
4th May 2009, 11:24 PM
PR, adhaan. What I meant to say was unfunny sequemce-e kidaiyadhu.The thing with the supposedly mokkai climax is that there are no setpieces. Characters are reacting as they would in the situation. The humour lies in our box seat view. My problem, and possibly comfort for someone else, with the subsequent ones are the set pieces. It is still funny but not necessarily in-character. Like I said, it is possivle to buy funny but not natural but that will differ from person to person. But the humour in mmkr is undeniable, and the fact that it is natural is an achievement which I caanot even fathom after the pudding has been eaten. How the hell did they conceive that pudding?

Plum
4th May 2009, 11:24 PM
PR, adhaan. What I meant to say was unfunny sequemce-e kidaiyadhu.The thing with the supposedly mokkai climax is that there are no setpieces. Characters are reacting as they would in the situation. The humour lies in our box seat view. My problem, and possibly comfort for someone else, with the subsequent ones are the set pieces. It is still funny but not necessarily in-character. Like I said, it is possivle to buy funny but not natural but that will differ from person to person. But the humour in mmkr is undeniable, and the fact that it is natural is an achievement which I caanot even fathom after the pudding has been eaten. How the hell did they conceive that pudding?

Plum
4th May 2009, 11:33 PM
Mmkr patri thevaiyana alavukku alasi vittadhal, adutha padathukku selvom.

Sathi leelavathy - equa, 450 wordsku kuraiyamal kurippu varaiga. And please bring out your sub-genre related research and analysis

Plum
5th May 2009, 12:06 AM
This is a bigger majority than Prashant managed :-)

Anban
5th May 2009, 12:42 AM
kaadhala kaadhala

Plum
5th May 2009, 12:50 AM
Anban, konjam reasons discuss pandradhu?...

Thirumaran
5th May 2009, 12:53 AM
mouli: appa kooda chithappaa thaane.. maamaa eppadi aagum..
MSV : Ada poanga sambanthi, samayathula en payyan ennayae maamaannu thaan koopiduraan :rotfl:

Thirumaran
5th May 2009, 01:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fccVy_BV4Vg&feature=related

kandishion aa seyvaanuga..kirayam pudichavanunga :rotfl:

Thirumaran
5th May 2009, 01:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqhyxvbXuC0&feature=related

ayyo nikureengalae :lol2:

unga ammaalukku break pidikaathaa :rotfl:

the whole sequence was :rotfl3:

When it comes to comedy without any doubt Kamal wins hands down than any other comedians. :2thumbsup:

Movie Cop
5th May 2009, 01:46 AM
Voted for Avvai Shanmughi. 8-)

Movie Cop
5th May 2009, 01:48 AM
kaadhala kaadhala
Anbuthambi,
Neer thaan oyie unmaiyaana KH fan! :P

Movie Cop
5th May 2009, 02:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fccVy_BV4Vg&feature=related

kandishion aa seyvaanuga..kirayam pudichavanunga :rotfl:
:rotfl: Thanks for the link, Thiru! 8-)
Aayiram thaan irunthaalum, Kamal, Kamal thaan ya! :thumbsup:

app_engine
5th May 2009, 02:01 AM
Thenali, IMO, is actually a very serious movie :-)

Actually those "two" scenes had me in tears :-( எப்படி அப்பா இதை ஒரு சிரிப்புப்படம் என்று கூற முடிய்ம்? (குறிப்பாக கமல் ஒரு சோகமயமான பாத்திரம் இதில்). காமெடி'யும் இருக்கிறது என்று வேண்டுமானால் கூறலாம் - அதுவும் ஜெயராம், டைமண்ட் பாபு தருவது தான்...

Movie Cop
5th May 2009, 02:11 AM
Thenali, IMO, is actually a very serious movie :-)

Actually those "two" scenes had me in tears :-( எப்படி அப்பா இதை ஒரு சிரிப்புப்படம் என்று கூற முடிய்ம்? (குறிப்பாக கமல் ஒரு சோகமயமான பாத்திரம் இதில்). காமெடி'யும் இருக்கிறது என்று வேண்டுமானால் கூறலாம் - அதுவும் ஜெயராம், டைமண்ட் பாபு தருவது தான்...
AE,
Even Kamal's character also had lot of humour in it. Agreed he comes from a tragic background. The way he expressed his tragic background in just those 2 scenes is quite amazing. But he also had his own share to generate some laughs. :)

groucho070
5th May 2009, 07:25 AM
Easy, predictable win - MMKR.

You guys have mentioned all there is about this film.

One other thing that always intrigued me is the use of masking technique. Ippo ellam CG, Blue Screen-nu samalippangga, but those days it's not that easy. Amazingly done, and not to mention how the characters respond to each other (brings to my mind NT in that famous scene from Deiva Magan)

MMKR is Bale Pandiya version 1990 and done with lot more twist and turn, lot more meat to the script, and multiple doses of additional humour.

ramdas2005
5th May 2009, 08:46 AM
I agree with you groucho on the reacting part, when you see 3 or more kamals on screen the way they react was so perfect and seemless, the same thing happens in Dasa as well of how the different kamals move in out and in one frame. Though those effects never caught the attention of majority. The amount of effort taken to get those right would have been a lot.

My pref:
MMKR
ABS
Sathi Leelavathi

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
5th May 2009, 09:34 AM
pre-80s i think crazy was not there and kamal too didnt have the habit of making serious-comedy alternative movie. actually he just rocks in post 90s only.

i feel, undoubtedlty he becomes the comedy king among top heroes and holds a big chunk of fans for his comedy, in agegroup - 20 to 25

sarna_blr
5th May 2009, 10:26 AM
ellaarum pEsuradha paaththaa, MMKR'a vida better comedy movie thamizh'la kedayaadhu pOla ??????

Sanjeevi
5th May 2009, 10:53 AM
Tenali :cool2:

sarna_blr
5th May 2009, 11:02 AM
ellaarum pEsuradha paaththaa, MMKR'a vida better comedy movie thamizh'la kedayaadhu pOla ??????

after a lot of thinking, have to yes(naan paarththa thamizh cinemaakkalil) that too by excluding SV 8-)

groucho070
5th May 2009, 11:11 AM

You got to give certain period. From 90s to now, MMKR is the best.

70s-80s: I would vote for Tillu Mullu.

60s-80s: Bale Pandiya.

50s, maybe Adutha Veettu Penn. Have not seen Kalyanam Panniyum Brahmachari in full.

40s: Well, I laugh out loud each time Tiyagarajar Bagavathar tries to act, but will stop laughing when he sings. Great singer.

joe
5th May 2009, 11:15 AM
40s: Well, I laugh out loud each time Tiyagarajar Bagavathar tries to act, but will stop laughing when he sings. Great singer.
:lol:

But ,Paattukku naduvula appapo thaan nadikka vendiyirukkum enpathaal avvaLavu paathippillai :)

groucho070
5th May 2009, 11:22 AM
Joe, neengga SL-kku vote pottengganu theriyum (one of those rare things we disagree on), who is the other culpr :D ....I mean, voter?

joe
5th May 2009, 11:34 AM
Joe, neengga SL-kku vote pottengganu theriyum (one of those rare things we disagree on)

I made it clear that I also agree MMKR is the best movie among listed movies here ..But when i asked my inner sense "which movie made you laugh most until you get tears?" ,i got the answer Sathi leelavathi.

Not only me ..I have seen both movies atleast 3 times in theatre ..The audience response i saw also goes with me .

when i watch SL in chennai ,a mother and a girl were sitting infront of me ..The mother's laughing went uncontrolled many times and the girl had been trying to close her mother's mouth . :)

Raikkonen
5th May 2009, 11:34 AM
singaravelan 8-)

panchathantiram follows it.. thenali is distant 3rd.. :)

groucho070
5th May 2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah, you said on overall basis, MMKR's the best :D

when i watch SL in chennai ,a mother and a girl were sitting infront of me ..The mother's laughing went uncontrolled many times and the girl had been trying to close her mother's mouth . :)

Really? Wow. Okay you have a point there, I think if I ask my mom to consider, she might vote for either SL or Avvai, where there is not too much twist and turn to worry about. Just plain laughter

Also, when MMKR came out, some of my aunties went to see it and came back complaining that they don't understand the film at all.

MMKR works better in retrospective. Each time you discover something new.

NOV
5th May 2009, 12:25 PM
I think one of the best comedies ever made was Kathalikka Neramillai.

rajasaranam
5th May 2009, 01:47 PM
It doesnt matter who deserves the credit. Singeetham or Crazy or Kamal.

or Qadar Kasmiri :)

sarna_blr
5th May 2009, 01:50 PM
I think one of the best comedies ever made was Kathalikka Neramillai.

wnever Muthuraman appears on screen, its one of the best mokkais made ever :rant:

Shakthiprabha.
5th May 2009, 01:56 PM

:D

Plum
5th May 2009, 03:08 PM
Kadhalika Neramillai definitely is one of the best ever in TF. My top 3 would have KN, KDK and MMKR. I wouldnt want to order them.

rajasaranam
5th May 2009, 03:12 PM
Kadhalika Neramillai definitely is one of the best ever in TF. My top 3 would have KN, KDK and MMKR. I wouldnt want to order them.
Bale Pandiya, Sabash Meena, adutha Veettu Pen :huh:

P_R
5th May 2009, 03:14 PM
sarna, Muthuraman is pretty good in comedy.
bAmA Vijayam :lol:

40s: Well, I laugh out loud each time Tiyagarajar Bagavathar tries to act, but will stop laughing when he sings. Great singer.Perhaps that's why he would break into song at the drop of a hat.

groucho070
5th May 2009, 03:16 PM
Kadhalika Neramillai definitely is one of the best ever in TF. My top 3 would have KN, KDK and MMKR. I wouldnt want to order them. :?

What is that Plum?

Those days, they used to install KDK ceiling fans in houses.

sarna_blr
5th May 2009, 03:34 PM

padaththa paaththu romba naal aagudhu, appa apdi thOnuchchu :? , innoru dhadava paakkanum :)

People can list great comedy movies ( OLD ), so that I can start download it.

so far now

1. Balepandiya
2. Sabash meena
3. Aduththa veettupen
4. KDK ( Plum :rant: abreviation )
5. Kalyaanam panniyum brammachaari

anymore :)

equanimus
5th May 2009, 03:48 PM
Kadhalika Neramillai definitely is one of the best ever in TF. My top 3 would have KN, KDK and MMKR. I wouldnt want to order them. :?

What is that Plum?
kAsE thAn kadavuLadA.

Shakthiprabha.
5th May 2009, 03:48 PM
veetukku veedu
kase thaan kadavuLada
Gallatta kalyanam
ootti varai uravu
anubhavi raja anubhavi
pattanathil bhootham (cant say if its comedy)

equanimus
5th May 2009, 03:51 PM
At least it tried...

Shakthiprabha.
5th May 2009, 03:52 PM
:D

Same portfolio of galtta kalyanam and ootti varai uravu.

I would say anubavi raja anubavi fared well :thumbsup:

sarna_blr
5th May 2009, 04:59 PM
veetukku veedu
kase thaan kadavuLada
Gallatta kalyanam
ootti varai uravu
anubhavi raja anubhavi

:ty: SP akka, have seen the bolded ones :)

today my 1st job is to download Balepandiya and KDK 8-)

P_R
5th May 2009, 05:27 PM
Veettukku Veedu :clap:

Jaishankar: (high pitch) Enna d(n)ee
Lakshmi: (stunned) ippo ennai neenga enna nee-nnu sonneengaLA... enna dee-nnu sonneengaLAnnu ippovE therinjAgaNum
Jaishankar: (in a supplicant tone) Malthi..naan unnai eppo kooptaalum enna nee dhaan...enna kidaiyAdhu
L: mmm
J: (continues from where he left..in high pitch) enna nee

:rotfl:

Jaishankar and Lakshmi are getting intimate when Kala (Vennir aadai nirmala) intrudes.Lakshmi walks out with her friend.
L: enna kala.. (fading out of the scene)
Jai: (with a maami-ish grimace and croaking voice) kala kala kala
:rotfl2:

Lakshmi and Jai are having a conversation in a park followed by a duet. Typist Gopu, who works for Major Sundarrajan - Jaishankar's father, records the entire encounter on an audio tape recorder. Major intends confront his son with the evidence

Major: andha kaNRAviya pOduyyA
Typist: paattA vasanamA ? :lol: :lol:

Shakthiprabha.
5th May 2009, 05:37 PM
:D both lakshmi and js rock. mr is not far behind. vn has less chance with comedy.

Also forgot to add

poova thalaiya (comedy list)
athaiya maamiya (can also be added, I never enjoyed the movie though)

innoru padam undu... js and jayachitra :?

also js and vanishree "aayiram poi" (nnu ninaikaren :? )

Anban
5th May 2009, 05:59 PM
MMKR is the "best movie" among kamal's comedies.. but it is not most the hilarious.. :yes:

Sathileelavathi, Tenali, Kaadhala Kaadhala, Avvai shanmugi, Panchathantiram are all more funny than MMKR..

app_engine
5th May 2009, 07:52 PM
The advantage that "same-actor-dual-or-multiple-role" movies enjoy is that one of the roles can be almost dedicated to comedy (which was unfortunately not possible for movies like Tenali where he had to also make people cry).

In MMKR, two KH are 100% comedians (Raju & Kamesh) and that makes it really special. That too once Raju gets knocked off and Kamesh takes up his position (as Madhan), it's a total laugh riot...those are the most hilarious moments for me :-)

app_engine
5th May 2009, 07:55 PM
And MMKR has villains / support characters everybody is some kind of comedy fellows :-)

This is unlike any other movie where some characters at least get really serious - in singaravElan, for e.g., there is even a pathos song :-(

Amarshiva
5th May 2009, 08:17 PM
Anytime, MMKR is best comedy and hilarious movie of Kamal.

m_23_bayarea
5th May 2009, 09:18 PM
Anytime, MMKR is best comedy and hilarious movie of Kamal.

For somr reason, I thought Kamal's comedy was more enjoyable in movies like Kaaki Chattai, Aboorva Sagotharargal, etc. I liked his flair for comedy in regular movies in the 80s (some people would call them masalas) than his full-fledged comedy movies like MMKR, Vasool Raja, etc. :P

Nerd
5th May 2009, 09:26 PM
Sathi Leelavathy > Michael Madana Kama Rajan > Panchathanthiram > Singaravelan > Thenali > Avvai Shanmughi >
Pammal K Sammandham > Kadhala Kadhala > Magalir Mattum/Nala Damayanthi

MX - rejetted.

P_R
5th May 2009, 09:31 PM
ThenAli avvaLavu sOkkA ?

Raikkonen
5th May 2009, 09:36 PM
thenali was awesome..

delhi ganesh & ramesh khanna.. :rotfl2:

P_R
5th May 2009, 09:40 PM
thenali was awesome..

delhi ganesh & ramesh khanna.. :rotfl2:

Yeah they were pretty funny
Right till the climax when Delhi Ganesh imitates the paralyzed Jayaram with glee :lol:

I found Kamal and his kOmALithanam quite unfunny.

sarna_blr
5th May 2009, 09:40 PM
ThenAli avvaLavu sOkkA ?

adhaana :?

Nerd
5th May 2009, 09:42 PM
ThenAli-la kamal thaviRa matha ellArum very hilarious. Kamal had very little scope for comedy. But jeyaram chance-E illai :rotfl:

And I can't believe that many here are not big fans of PT. Have seen it more than 10 times. I would always skip the first forty minutes though - Fast forward to the bar scene (eyes-la Ice-a veyyi, thivasa manthiram etc) Simmi was in great form too :bow:

P_R
5th May 2009, 09:46 PM
In the Kamal KSR combo.. I'd put

Avvai > Panchatanthiram > Tenali

Delhi Ganesh and MaNivannan are fantastic in AS

K: neenga ippo road-la nadandhu pOreenga
M: illiyE nikkiranE (such a mokkai line, made funny by his sincerety when delivering) :lol:

And of course Nagesh

N: vartAdee :clap: :rotfl3:

HonestRaj
5th May 2009, 10:39 PM
ThenAli-la kamal thaviRa matha ellArum very hilarious. Kamal had very little scope for comedy. But jeyaram chance-E illai :rotfl:

that "kiss"thi scene :rotfl:

HonestRaj
5th May 2009, 10:40 PM
Either SL or SV... edhukku vote podalam..... yosikkama sirikka vekkiradhu indha padangal mattume (+ MMKR )

HonestRaj
5th May 2009, 10:45 PM
voted for SV... GM bias

crajkumar_be
6th May 2009, 06:46 AM
Sathi Leelavathi hands down, daylight etc.

Sakthivel Kaunder, characters in-character, repeat ROTFL/LOL value, lesser reliance on "wit" (which usually has diminishing utility with repeat viewings), above all, the brilliantly 'choreographed' climax, a total Kamal Haasan show. This movie is the ultimate in comedy for me (along with The Big Lebowski)

joe
6th May 2009, 07:07 AM
Sathi Leelavathi hands down, daylight etc.

Sakthivel Kaunder, characters in-character, repeat ROTFL/LOL value, lesser reliance on "wit" (which usually has diminishing utility with repeat viewings), above all, the brilliantly 'choreographed' climax, a total Kamal Haasan show. This movie is the ultimate in comedy for me (along with The Big Lebowski)

Appaada.. namakkum aaL irukku :)

groucho070
6th May 2009, 07:15 AM
Crikey, Joe :? Ungga pracharam work-out pannuthu. SL is gaining strength now :D

NOV
6th May 2009, 07:17 AM
Appaada.. namakkum aaL irukku :)more than 60% of the voters dont agree MMKR is Kamal's best comedy :)

Plum
6th May 2009, 12:26 PM
Bale Pandiya, Sabash Meena, adutha Veettu Pen :huh:

RS, adhaan sonnene, let's not question some one else's preferences-nu. This is my preference avlo dhaan.

Plum
6th May 2009, 12:26 PM

40s: Well, I laugh out loud each time Tiyagarajar Bagavathar tries to act, but will stop laughing when he sings. Great singer.Perhaps that's why he would break into song at the drop of a hat.

Yup, he's good in KN and very good in KDK. Not to mention minor beautiful moments in many movies.

Thirumaran
6th May 2009, 12:32 PM
For Me MMKR, then the next best is Kadhalikka Naeramillai :P

Vivasaayi
6th May 2009, 12:34 PM
mmkr or sathi leelavathi :roll:

cunfuuuussiioon

P_R
6th May 2009, 12:36 PM
IMO BalE pANdiya is quite :?
I don't like the 'hero' Sivaji's acting in that film.

GalAtta KalyANam is the funniest Sivaji film. CV Rajendran again.

P_R
6th May 2009, 12:38 PM
Shalini: ....most of the contemporary paintings are abstracts....yeah Marble Fountain is also there.
Raju: (stares at the phone )

:rotfl3:

groucho070
6th May 2009, 12:40 PM
No offence to KN lovers. I like it too, very much. But I'd take Bale Pandiya over KN anytime.

I can't remember anything else but Nagesh and Ballaiya in KN. Muthuraman is good in comedy, but that was later. Here he tries hard, but nothing can beat the mokkai-ness of engga ooru Ravichandran. The ladies are pretty, the songs are great. Ambuduthen.

But take Bale Pandiya (prototype for MMKR).

I remember the innocent NT, Pandiyan, his intro scene attempting suicide, "Binoculars sar!" MRR, whether he is the bad guy or the strict dad, rocks and is hillarious. NT, the absentminded Professor lives in his own world, and you have the running gag of the third NT, Maruthu, adjusting his lungi, with annoyance look on his face, walking towards camera.

Not to mention the Neeyee unakku song, which has a riotous climax of Maaamaa, maapillai....and the events preceeding to Vazha Ninaithal Vazhalam, Pandiyan's second suicide attempt.

And surprise, surprise, Balaji can be funny too. Watch him reacting to the girl (forgot her name, NT's adopted sister) describing her future husband.

Such a memorable film throughout, with all round great performance. I'll watch Bale Pandiya anytime of the day, anyday.

//Digres: The songs, all the songs in this film is lovely...in the meantime I am going to listen to Athikaai, kaai, kaai.....end of digression//

Thirumaran
6th May 2009, 12:41 PM

:exactly: .. For me too.. I found BP to be quite boring.. Well, i saw it long back (10+ years).. Innoru thadava visit panni paarkanum :P

equanimus
6th May 2009, 12:46 PM

Completely agree. Sivaji's best comic turn was in 'galAtta kalyANam.' I like 'Ooty varai uRavu' too. I saw 'balE pANdiyA' a couple of years ago, and didn't even finish it...

equanimus
6th May 2009, 12:49 PM
Shalini: ....most of the contemporary paintings are abstracts....yeah Marble Fountain is also there.
Raju: (stares at the phone )

:rotfl3:
:rotfl3: MMKR ellAm "nOkkariya nOkkE, nuNukkariya nuNNuNarvE..." nAn ennaththa defend paNRadhu...

P_R
6th May 2009, 01:03 PM
Yeah exactly. aLLa aLLa kuRaiyAdha selvam.

nijamAvE idhellAm appidiyE varradhu dhaan...no way that movie could have been planned and executed with the kind of finesse it managed to achieve. It has become the standard. Many times funny moments elsewhere remind me of MMKR.

When I hear Mirchi Siva's "Sir you want goyyAkkA ?" in Saroja I can't help but think of it as funny in itself but pale in comparison to Raju's offer of "Milku-bikki" :lol:

Vivasaayi
6th May 2009, 01:43 PM
Yeah exactly. aLLa aLLa kuRaiyAdha selvam.

nijamAvE idhellAm appidiyE varradhu dhaan...no way that movie could have been planned and executed with the kind of finesse it managed to achieve. It has become the standard. Many times funny moments elsewhere remind me of MMKR.

When I hear Mirchi Siva's "Sir you want goyyAkkA ?" in Saroja I can't help but think of it as funny in itself but pale in comparison to Raju's offer of "Milku-bikki" :lol:

vOnAvA :lol:

Raju is the best in the movie..I really dont underatnd how kameshwaran managed to outscore him among the audience

crajkumar_be
6th May 2009, 01:46 PM
Talking about MMKR, Kameshwaran is the 'popular' choice but i think Raju is grossly underrated

P.S: Viv, timing paaru :) (ippo dhaan un post-a pakkaren)

Vivasaayi
6th May 2009, 02:07 PM
Talking about MMKR, Kameshwaran is the 'popular' choice but i think Raju is grossly underrated

P.S: Viv, timing paaru :) (ippo dhaan un post-a pakkaren)

:)

groucho070
6th May 2009, 02:10 PM
More Raju moments (was and is my fav character) Again, not exact words, but just for reminiscence:

His expression when Madhan insist on shaving off the tache and the sideburns.

R: Nevair (the veerappu look).

On having to shave, conversation with Shalini.

R:...kiruthava kooda edutitaangga.
S:(having no transport to Bangalore) Ippo enna pannurathu
R: Athu paravalaiynga, utta valarnthidum :lol:

After the car runs into the river, Shalini walks out, wet and complains about it.

R: Haiya (very happy - again his innocent, but lustful appreciation).

P_R
6th May 2009, 02:31 PM
Daddy Sivaram: ayyayyE inge guest roomE kidayAdhA ?
Raju: guest room...irukkaNumE....irukkA ?
AvinAsi: enna sir irukkAnnu kEkkureenga
Raju: irukkAnna...irukkudhA...freeyA irukkudhA-nnu arthamya....Daddy one nimit (takes Avinasi to the side)
(VAM also walks up to them and then walks away)
Raju: ippo vandhuttu pOnArE adhu guest-appA...kooda vandhirukkaradhu guest-ammA...gum-nu irukkudhulla....thaNNila nenchi pAkkaNumE.... varra vazhili-la journey-la kaanjidchi

P_R
6th May 2009, 02:38 PM
Raju is the best in the movie..I really dont underatnd how kameshwaran managed to outscore him among the audience
The novelty of the accent was a big thing.

Kamal himself has done madras-bAshai in several movies. KamEswaran's PalakkAd bAshai was a first of sorts. And of course KamEshwaran and Thiruppu share that rapid fire scene in the film that is stuff of legend.

(Thiruppu rummaging through dabbAs fore eli pAshANam)
T: oNNu therinjikkongO....aambaLai kettA verum adhyAyam dhaan...pomBaLai kettA pusthakamE pOttuduvA
K: Hey......enna idhu...keduththuttEnnu aabaasamA ellAm pEsiNdirukkAi.. adhu gaali

crajkumar_be
6th May 2009, 02:41 PM
(Thiruppu rummaging through dabbAs fore eli pAshANam)
T: oNNu therinjikkongO....aambaLai kettA verum adhyAyam dhaan...pomBaLai kettA pusthakamE pOttuduvA
K: Hey......enna idhu...keduththuttEnnu aabaasamA ellAm pEsiNdirukkAi.. adhu gaali

Be it Sakthivel Kaunder or Kameshwaran, andha accent parichayamanavangalukku koodudhal appreciation/inbam etc...

Plum
6th May 2009, 02:43 PM
PR, I was going to quote Thannila nananju paarkanume.
To add to thalaivar Equanimus' theory on the subtle, subversive non-family-humour agenda of MMKR:
* Thannila Nananju Paarkanume
* The whole Kameshwaran First Night Scene(credit:equa)
* Michael and his father voyeuring on Madan's exploits with Rupini(credit:equa)

But I remembered another moment, which can be called the mother of all such subversive moments, so hilariously, irreverently family-indigestible that it could only have been improvised. I have quoted it elsewhere without expanding on this theme:
Basically, Shalini alibi-ing the Pillows-and-Sheets contraption for herself while she is out gallivanting with Raju. VAM sniffs a fish sometime during hte middle of the song, and comes to check out on Shalini. He observes the contraption meticulously put together, gets his doubts, and in an act of checking out his doubts, and that it is not really Shalini, pokes the 2 pillows strategically placed on top. I bet it almost never strikes the average 'family' viewer that he is supposed to be Shalini's father, and it is almost like incest is being touched upon here :-). Kamal sure got away with a lot here. Or, maybe, as I said, it was an improvisation by VAM. Nevertheless, inspite of me recognising this, I still find it funny, regardless of the fact that I still find it distasteful.

groucho070
6th May 2009, 02:45 PM
Daddy Sivaram: ayyayyE inge guest roomE kidayAdhA ?
Raju: guest room...irukkaNumE....irukkA ?
AvinAsi: enna sir irukkAnnu kEkkureenga
Raju: irukkAnna...irukkudhA...freeyA irukkudhA-nnu arthamya....Daddy one nimit (takes Avinasi to the side)
(VAM also walks up to them and then walks away)
Raju: ippo vandhuttu pOnArE adhu guest-appA...kooda vandhirukkaradhu guest-ammA...gum-nu irukkudhulla....thaNNila nenchi pAkkaNumE.... varra vazhili-la journey-la kaanjidchi

:lol: :lol:

This followed by Nagesh instructing a servant, ironically named Arumugam (his character in Anbe Vaa) to take the luggages to the guest house.

Can't remember the dialogue well, but Raju asks Avinasi if Arumugam can be trusted.

Nagesh: Illai, avan nalla payyan.
Raju: Namba mudiyathu, yaarum illaatha neerathula guest house-a vadaikuvittuduvaan, Anbe Vaa mathiri

...to Nagesh :lol:

equanimus
6th May 2009, 02:46 PM
[tscii:b58343e0d6][/tscii:b58343e0d6]
Fragments of thoughts on MMKR and Kamal Haasan the comedian from elsewhere (http://screenart.blogspot.com/2006/12/comedy-in-tamil-movies-part-ii.html):

As for Kamal Haasan, I'd undoubtedly go some steps further. Personally, I think his role is much bigger than his delivering Crazy's lines and the impeccable timing. That he's been the man for Crazy's lines is indisputable (one has to just watch the non-KH films for which Crazy penned the dialogue to see why), but, in the best of Kamal Haasan's comedies, the merit (ah, how boringly put!) of the humour created in the script/scenarios exceeds, at times easily, Crazy Mohan's dialogue in making a very fine film (or, a masterpiece); finally, it turns out how well the writer/director make use of Crazy Mohan's brilliant lines with a very fine control and a "make-believe" restraint.

For me, MMKR is what It is because of 3 men who made It, but, Crazy Mohan is the "smallest" of them -- and you're hearing this from a big, big Crazy Mohan fan. In other words, Crazy Mohan hardly wrote this line for Raju -- "Sokka sonnayyaa! Dhool-ya! Idhellaam appde varradhaan illa.. Nyabagam vechikkaren, naanum engayaavadhu adichu vutturren!"

Kamal sizzles in a scene [..]
Prasad, I was talking about the very same scene, if it wasn't clear. He calls Bheem back, rolls his eyes down mischievously like a kid would (already delighted that he's gonna use it!) and says, "Catch my point!"

And, I wanted to say '"smaller" than Kamal, if not the smallest"', but went for the more debatable claim. :D
Singeetham is often unsung when it comes to MMKR, but his overall presence (and the "make-believe" restraint) in the film (and Aboorva Sagotharargal) can be easily felt and that's what sets these films apart from the lesser (w.r.t. lofty standards, yet really good) efforts like Panchathanthiram. (Of course, he directed Kaadhala Kaadhala too, which will find no place in this league.) Of course, how much of all this is actually from him is debatable, but I'd rather observe this from the end results. (He wrote and directed Pushpak, directed AS and MMKR!) But, he did fail (completely) whenever he worked with somebody other than Kamal.

As a fan, I always want all these 3 on song!

And, on Crazy Mohan - of course, he's good with the Brahmin tongue, but that's just a matter of detail according to me. His dialogue is adhaiyum thaandi delightfully funny. But, yeah, that extra thing out of familiarity in the brahmin tongue is undeniable.

I'm sure Kamal improvises anything and everything that is written as dialogue on paper. (That he flourishes when it's Madras baashai is also a matter of detail, if you ask me.) Crazy Mohan's lines are perfect for a play and it needs to be, almost always, adapted to the film with some subtlety and restraint (which is just absent, and rightfully so, in his plays). Just to sample, in one of the scenes with Mani Vannan in Avvai Shanmughi, Kamal off-handedly admits how it was nalladhu for him that Mani Vannan left the house without having a word with Avvai Shanmughi and brushes off later from explanation! Hilarious to watch. And, this must have been all improvisation.

But talking about improvisations, I always love to recall PKS. While every other person thinks it was all Crazy Mohan, I really think it was all Kamal Haasan (and Mouli too to a certain extent) - be it the brilliant "half-witted" pazhamozhigal (Oh, should I even list them!) or the sublime situational humour that is invoked in some scenes of the film ("Idhenna comedy scene-aa? Serious-aa irukkanum!" he says).
The opposite can be almost said on Kaadhala Kaadhala, or Panchathanthiram to an extent.

Though I compare and "rank" the role of the three Greats like a silly boy, I, of course feel each of them time and again come close to overtake the other two, and carves a place for himself in the film. (I hope that was already conveyed clearly when I said, ultimately "MMKR is what It is because of 3 men who made It.")

All hail MMKR!

Prasad, PKS was great fun actually. If not for some usual fluffy stuff like the final chase sequence and other things, it'd have been an excellent one. Kamal Haasan was in top form here.
And, Sukumari pazhamozhi ("Super pazhamozhi, master! Summa varuvaala Sugumari, thirumbavum vizhuda somaari-nnaanaan!") is my favourite too, among the "qualified" pazhamozhigal. Kamal times it perfectly. (Funny I was stating exactly this to my friend a couple of weeks ago.) But, the other ones are brilliant too: "Kekkaradhu Kadan baakki, kaila thuppakki-nnaanaan!", "Invanga mattum vedam saathaan odharaango!"

And, the classic line, the holiest of holies, Crème de la Crème, is this: "Kaathaadikku kooda thaan vaal irukku, adhukkaga korangu parakkuma.. sollunga!" Absurd, very contextual and just sheer brilliant. (In the film, he even is joyed that he just said his kind of line!)

Kamal just lifts a run-of-the-mill film, an absolutely frivolous premise notwithstanding, with his sheer presence and timing in PKS.
I still can't stop laughing whenever I see the "Rayapuram" Sivam shooting sequence ("Dhoda! Unakku somersault adikka therima?") or when Kamal spouts some existential philosophy when Simran tries to tie him up - "Illingo. Idhu bigulu, idhu biskothu!" - or the post-divorce scene. Frigging hilarious.

P.S.:- Yeah, I revisited MMKR day before yesterday. I plan to write a series of posts on it, and yet I'd not do enough justice.

Uh, apologies for the flurry of comments, but I just realized I didn't answer your question.

>>Do you remember a scene from PKS where he discloses to his grandfather that it was Simran who rejected him not the other way around?
Yes, I love that scene and it strongly evoked the sense of believability and bitter-sweetness of his earlier comedies that the Kaadhala Kaadhalas and the Thenalis completely missed. While the sad turn the film takes was criticized for spoiling the fun, I felt it was engrossingly done. The sadness of the situation was actually moving and very well enacted. The sort of believablity Kamal lends to the character in that scene (when he chokes as he blurts out the truth) is actually superb; might look like lofty words on the seemingly usual Kamal cry, but it's not. This is another reason why PKS is all the more a lovable character, the second most lovable 'Madras local' that Kamal has ever played, next only to Raju.
And, I think Mouli should also take the credit here. All his comedic plays have revolved around simple families and the problems they face and his very characteristic seamless switch between sad and comic tones, staying true to real life.

Prasad, he says "Thiri(n)yun Uzhuda Somaari-nnaanaan!" (and I agree, it's not easy to get it in any language)! I wrote that one in full to emphasize the "um" suffix to the word -- it's too short otherwise -- that was important for the words to flow in cadence. :P

P_R
6th May 2009, 02:51 PM
This followed by Nagesh instructing a servant, ironically named Arumugam (his character in Anbe Vaa) to take the luggages to the guest house.

Can't remember the dialogue well, but Raju asks Avinasi if Arumugam can be trusted.

Nagesh: Illai, avan nalla payyan.
Raju: Namba mudiyathu, yaarum illaatha neerathula guest house-a vadaikuvittuduvaan, Anbe Vaa mathiri

...to Nagesh :lol:

Raju: indha Arumugan ogay dhaanE
AvinAsi:
Raju: dubAkkoor-Ana aaLunga....naan illAtha nErathula oottaiyE vaadagaikku uttu sambArchiruvAnunga....unakku theriyAdha vishayam kooda indha oottaippaththi enakku theriyum yA...oruthan 25 lachcha rooba lavuttigiraan...sari unnaaNda solli enna paNradhu

equanimus
6th May 2009, 02:51 PM
"indha ARumugam ogay dhAna?" LOL!

Plum
6th May 2009, 02:56 PM
And, the addendum to 25 latcham "25 eppadinga 6 aagum. 6 vatti pottu, kutti pottu 25 aagum." I cant remember the exact line and the way I have put it is not funny but the sentiments Raju expresses there, and the lines are very funny

Plum
6th May 2009, 02:57 PM
MMKR patri thevaianay aLavu alasi vittadhal....
melum alasuvom! Keep it coming, folks. I am enjoying this.

Plum
And equa, andha genre, sub-genre theories konjam eduthu vudunga...

crajkumar_be
As for Kamal Haasan, I'd undoubtedly go some steps further. Personally, I think his role is much bigger than his delivering Crazy's lines and the impeccable timing. That he's been the man for Crazy's lines is indisputable (one has to just watch the non-KH films for which Crazy penned the dialogue to see why), but, in the best of Kamal Haasan's comedies, the merit (ah, how boringly put!) of the humour created in the script/scenarios exceeds, at times easily, Crazy Mohan's dialogue in making a very fine film (or, a masterpiece); finally, it turns out how well the writer/director make use of Crazy Mohan's brilliant lines with a very fine control and a "make-believe" restraint.

For me, MMKR is what It is because of 3 men who made It, but, Crazy Mohan is the "smallest" of them -- and you're hearing this from a big, big Crazy Mohan fan. In other words, Crazy Mohan hardly wrote this line for Raju -- "Sokka sonnayyaa! Dhool-ya! Idhellaam appde varradhaan illa.. Nyabagam vechikkaren, naanum engayaavadhu adichu vutturren!"

:) Appadi podunga!

P_R
6th May 2009, 02:59 PM
The opposite can be almost said on Kaadhala Kaadhala, or Panchathanthiram to an extent.

Exactly.
Particulatly in Panchatantiram it was even a bit annoying.

Lovely set of posts - yErkanavE padichirudhaalum :clap:

Particularly on what sets apart MMKR from the other Crazy shows and the importance of the dukka sequences in PKS.

Plum
6th May 2009, 02:59 PM
On Crazy Mohan- Kamal relative stature, consider this:
"Bheem boy, Bheem boy, andh aaru latchathai...".
If Madhu delivers it, it will probably be in a static position, facing the camera. Look at how Kameshwaran does that- on all fours, completely impervious of where he is, and totally in-character.

groucho070
6th May 2009, 03:01 PM
Don't know who this Zero is, but his points are awesome.

To continue on Raju's character, there is a Chaplin-esque pathos in him. Basically he's a guy in a fix, and is now a fall guy for someone else. So, he is constantly trying to play the role he is not, and who he is betrays him and that is where the comedy comes especially when he is genuinely concerned with what is going around with him and how it's affecting him, and later, his love. Wonderful creation by Kamal.

P_R
6th May 2009, 03:04 PM

:) Appadi podunga!

Bala, note the line in bold . :-)

Eq, no doubts about who's first. Second-third distinction I have my doubts. AvvaLu confirm-A sollira mudiyAdhu

joe
6th May 2009, 03:05 PM
Hmm..All these MMKR discussions remind me the India Today issue which carried cover story on MMKR. :D

joe
6th May 2009, 03:07 PM
நானும் ரவுடியாக்கும் கேட்டோ .. பழிக்கு பழி ..புளிக்கு புளி :lol:

P_R
6th May 2009, 03:07 PM
Don't know who this Zero is, but his points are awesome. idhulErndhE theriya vENdAmA..

P_R
6th May 2009, 03:09 PM
நானும் ரவுடியாக்கும் கேட்டோ .. பழிக்கு பழி ..புளிக்கு புளி :lol: :lol:

Crazy: அத்து மீறி போயிட்டியாம்...
கா: அத்தெல்லாம் மீறலை.....:lol:

Plum
6th May 2009, 03:29 PM

Exactly.
Particulatly in Panchatantiram it was even a bit annoying.

Lovely set of posts - yErkanavE padichirudhaalum :clap:

Particularly on what sets apart MMKR from the other Crazy shows and the importance of the dukka sequences in PKS.
Absolutely, equa's analysis thinna thinna thegattadhu. Your summary of the gist of his posts also bang-on.
Nadathunga, nadathunga. This is the kind of disucssion I wanted.

Modhalla, MMKR mudichitti, hope we can take up PKS, SL especially and the other ones in the same vein.

Plum
6th May 2009, 03:30 PM

To continue on Raju's character, there is a Chaplin-esque pathos in him. Basically he's a guy in a fix, and is now a fall guy for someone else. So, he is constantly trying to play the role he is not, and who he is betrays him and that is where the comedy comes especially when he is genuinely concerned with what is going around with him and how it's affecting him, and later, his love. Wonderful creation by Kamal.

enna groucho, namma equa dhaan adhu. Indha ulaguthula vera yaaravadhu apdi ezhudha mudiyuma - nammalai adichikka aaLillainnen

Vivasaayi
6th May 2009, 03:32 PM
one scene that make me laugh everytime is

santhanabarathi : "yeppA thuppAkkipA"

kamal : ippo edhukkubaa thuppaaki

santhanabarathi : "edho pannikinni sudlambaa" :lol:

kamal slaps santhana barathi

"enapa appavaye adichuta"

Plum
6th May 2009, 03:38 PM

Yes, there's so many strands of humour going on in MMKR, sometimes simultaneously. You rediscover layers everytime. This strand you are talking about, I awoke to in the 13th or 14th viewing only.

Vivasaayi
6th May 2009, 03:46 PM
Raju watches wet shalini getting up from the water

"haiiyaaaa( :D )...aiaiaiyaa.."

:LOL:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
6th May 2009, 03:53 PM
kamal is always brilliant in multiple roles.

MMKR - 4 heros
dasa - 10 roles
aboorva sago - 4 villains

its one way to extend the screenplay, and he does that meaningfully and interestingly.

Thirumaran
6th May 2009, 03:53 PM
[tscii:4924bd6068][/tscii:4924bd6068]
Fragments of thoughts on MMKR and Kamal Haasan the comedian from elsewhere (http://screenart.blogspot.com/2006/12/comedy-in-tamil-movies-part-ii.html):

Kamal sizzles in a scene [..]
Prasad, I was talking about the very same scene, if it wasn't clear. He calls Bheem back, rolls his eyes down mischievously like a kid would (already delighted that he's gonna use it!) and says, "Catch my point!"

And, I wanted to say '"smaller" than Kamal, if not the smallest"', but went for the more debatable claim. :D
Singeetham is often unsung when it comes to MMKR, but his overall presence (and the "make-believe" restraint) in the film (and Aboorva Sagotharargal) can be easily felt and that's what sets these films apart from the lesser (w.r.t. lofty standards, yet really good) efforts like Panchathanthiram. (Of course, he directed Kaadhala Kaadhala too, which will find no place in this league.) Of course, how much of all this is actually from him is debatable, but I'd rather observe this from the end results. (He wrote and directed Pushpak, directed AS and MMKR!) But, he did fail (completely) whenever he worked with somebody other than Kamal.

As a fan, I always want all these 3 on song!

And, on Crazy Mohan - of course, he's good with the Brahmin tongue, but that's just a matter of detail according to me. His dialogue is adhaiyum thaandi delightfully funny. But, yeah, that extra thing out of familiarity in the brahmin tongue is undeniable.

I'm sure Kamal improvises anything and everything that is written as dialogue on paper. (That he flourishes when it's Madras baashai is also a matter of detail, if you ask me.) Crazy Mohan's lines are perfect for a play and it needs to be, almost always, adapted to the film with some subtlety and restraint (which is just absent, and rightfully so, in his plays). Just to sample, in one of the scenes with Mani Vannan in Avvai Shanmughi, Kamal off-handedly admits how it was nalladhu for him that Mani Vannan left the house without having a word with Avvai Shanmughi and brushes off later from explanation! Hilarious to watch. And, this must have been all improvisation.

But talking about improvisations, I always love to recall PKS. While every other person thinks it was all Crazy Mohan, I really think it was all Kamal Haasan (and Mouli too to a certain extent) - be it the brilliant "half-witted" pazhamozhigal (Oh, should I even list them!) or the sublime situational humour that is invoked in some scenes of the film ("Idhenna comedy scene-aa? Serious-aa irukkanum!" he says).

Though I compare and "rank" the role of the three Greats like a silly boy, I, of course feel each of them time and again come close to overtake the other two, and carves a place for himself in the film. (I hope that was already conveyed clearly when I said, ultimately "MMKR is what It is because of 3 men who made It.")

All hail MMKR!

Prasad, PKS was great fun actually. If not for some usual fluffy stuff like the final chase sequence and other things, it'd have been an excellent one. Kamal Haasan was in top form here.
And, Sukumari pazhamozhi ("Super pazhamozhi, master! Summa varuvaala Sugumari, thirumbavum vizhuda somaari-nnaanaan!") is my favourite too, among the "qualified" pazhamozhigal. Kamal times it perfectly. (Funny I was stating exactly this to my friend a couple of weeks ago.) But, the other ones are brilliant too: "Kekkaradhu Kadan baakki, kaila thuppakki-nnaanaan!", "Invanga mattum vedam saathaan odharaango!"

And, the classic line, the holiest of holies, Crème de la Crème, is this: "Kaathaadikku kooda thaan vaal irukku, adhukkaga korangu parakkuma.. sollunga!" Absurd, very contextual and just sheer brilliant. (In the film, he even is joyed that he just said his kind of line!)

Kamal just lifts a run-of-the-mill film, an absolutely frivolous premise notwithstanding, with his sheer presence and timing in PKS.
I still can't stop laughing whenever I see the "Rayapuram" Sivam shooting sequence ("Dhoda! Unakku somersault adikka therima?") or when Kamal spouts some existential philosophy when Simran tries to tie him up - "Illingo. Idhu bigulu, idhu biskothu!" - or the post-divorce scene. Frigging hilarious.

P.S.:- Yeah, I revisited MMKR day before yesterday. I plan to write a series of posts on it, and yet I'd not do enough justice.

Uh, apologies for the flurry of comments, but I just realized I didn't answer your question.

>>Do you remember a scene from PKS where he discloses to his grandfather that it was Simran who rejected him not the other way around?
Yes, I love that scene and it strongly evoked the sense of believability and bitter-sweetness of his earlier comedies that the Kaadhala Kaadhalas and the Thenalis completely missed. While the sad turn the film takes was criticized for spoiling the fun, I felt it was engrossingly done. The sadness of the situation was actually moving and very well enacted. The sort of believablity Kamal lends to the character in that scene (when he chokes as he blurts out the truth) is actually superb; might look like lofty words on the seemingly usual Kamal cry, but it's not. This is another reason why PKS is all the more a lovable character, the second most lovable 'Madras local' that Kamal has ever played, next only to Raju.
And, I think Mouli should also take the credit here. All his comedic plays have revolved around simple families and the problems they face and his very characteristic seamless switch between sad and comic tones, staying true to real life.

Prasad, he says "Thiri(n)yun Uzhuda Somaari-nnaanaan!" (and I agree, it's not easy to get it in any language)! I wrote that one in full to emphasize the "um" suffix to the word -- it's too short otherwise -- that was important for the words to flow in cadence. :P

:notworthy:

Thirumaran
6th May 2009, 03:55 PM
kamal is always brilliant in multiple roles.

MMKR - 4 heros
dasa - 10 roles
aboorva sago - 4 villains

its one way to extend the screenplay, and he does that meaningfully and interestingly.

yeah.. :cool2:

btw ur avatar :cool2: btw any stills out for UPO ?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
6th May 2009, 03:57 PM
shud i mention - 'writer kamal' instead of 'kamal'

TM, no official stills yet, movie is also not in standstill. athu pothume :)

P_R
6th May 2009, 04:20 PM

maRupadiyum nenjitteengaLA (till then you don't recall he met her wet even in his first encounter - neRuppu irukkura idathula adingayA yOv)

Jayabharathi: Madan...ungaLukku oNNum aagaliya...andha vaNdiyila brake pidikkilai
Raju: idhai munnAdiyE sollittirukka koodaadhu :lol:

Tries to get out of the conversation and attend to the task at hand but she is persistent, so he takes her to the side

Raju: ippo idhellAm pEslainnA innAvaam ? :rotfl:

(the hilarity is because we know how important the issue she wants to
talk about is)

Another great interruption to follow

Raju: NeengaLum flower liker-A.
Sh: mm
R: naanum...like like same same :lol2:
Daddy Sivaram: (neighs) :lol:
R : (shocked into reality)
DS: Own house-A ? :rotfl2:
R: (ponderously) yes yes
DS: summA therinjikkalaamnu :lol:
R: Oh ok.....follow my behind

--

R: dha'bbAr....thirumal nAicker mahAl maaRi irugudhu (in 'hs own' house :rotfl3:)

equanimus
6th May 2009, 05:36 PM
:rotfl: Was laughing uncontrollably reading your last post, PR...

What a creation really! I was recently watching some interviews of Charlie Kaufman on YouTube (after reading your post on 'Adaptation'), and he mentioned in more than one interview how he consciously tries to pack in a lot of things in the film so that the audience can't see it all the first time. What our guys mounted in MMKR frame by frame is simply astonishing in this regard. Forget twice or thrice, there's a whole new undercurrent of humour to discover after watching it like a dozen times. In the kalyANa chaththiram scene after Kameswaran is caught holding Thiruppu's hand (Kameswaran beginning to clarify to his father in bass voice, "un chellappettaiya kANam 'nu chollittirundhAyA nI..." cracks me up every time! :rotfl3:), just before the scene ends, we see Kameswaran again "getting back to his old ways" (:lol2:) and Thiruppu's pAtti land a slap on his face! How can one possibly have so many things happen within the frame and yet make it all seem like mere happenstance?! :notworthy:

maRupadiyum nenjitteengaLA (till then you don't recall he met her wet even in his first encounter - neRuppu irukkura idathula adingayA yOv)
Very true. It's the mark of a great humourist to get the joke *from* the character. Again, this is exactly the sort of spontaneity that Crazy Mohan misses all too often. Most of his characters simply keep reacting to the plot the same way, don't see beyond building cases to cover up their lies which drive the plot. and it all gets a bit too tired and overdrawn. Sometimes I feel like getting up and saying, "enakku eppadi therimA irukkudhu..." :lol2:

Jayabharathi: Madan...ungaLukku oNNum aagaliya...andha vaNdiyila brake pidikkilai
:lol: What's hilarious is Raju hardly appreciates the goodwill of the lady. She has chased them for such a long distance. And he replies as if she knew about it to begin with, and in a sense disapproves of her laziness in not telling them earlier!

Another great interruption to follow

Raju: NeengaLum flower liker-A.
Sh: mm
R: naanum...like like same same :lol2:
Daddy Sivaram: (neighs) :lol:
R : (shocked into reality)
DS: Own house-A ? :rotfl2:
R: (ponderously) yes yes
DS: summA therinjikkalaamnu :lol:
R: Oh ok.....follow my behind

--

R: dha'bbAr....thirumal nAicker mahAl maaRi irugudhu (in 'hs own' house :rotfl3:)
:rotfl: andha scene'ai appadiyE kaNNu munnAdi OttittInga! And of course, what follows in Madan Mahal is such a riotous scene!

Vivasaayi
6th May 2009, 06:06 PM

he laughs funnily after saying this :lol:

equanimus
6th May 2009, 06:12 PM
And, thanks everyone...

And equa, andha genre, sub-genre theories konjam eduthu vudunga...
Plum,
indha sub-genre, sub-genre 'nu solRIngaLE... I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Great point, Groucho. Raju is indeed a Chaplinesque presence in the film. The scene where he meets Shalini near the marble fountain comes to mind. ("avaL dhAn'la?") Kamal as an actor has always had shades of the Chaplinesque persona, of course.

Plum
6th May 2009, 06:20 PM
.....Obviously, with these movies being in different sub-genres, any equanimus-type symposium on analysis of the sub-genre and why the particular movie belongs to that sub-genre is welcome...

I assumed something here. Nevertheless, what I meant is how we conveniently bucket MMKR, Thenali, KK etc together as "Post 90's Kamal comedies", while, in reality, the underlying strands of humour are really different in different movies. For example, Sathi Leelavathy is not really a comedy, it is a serious social commentary, in my opinion. Kamal talks about "existential comedy". Not sure what that means, but he claimed MX is of that sub-genre. Ofcourse, MMKR encompasses several genres of humour. Idheyallam phd levelku aarainju post podanumnu dhaan indha thread-e. You gotta do it man.

P_R
6th May 2009, 06:50 PM
How can one possibly have so many things happen within the frame and yet make it all seem like mere happenstance?!
Yeah exactly. Just to good to have been 'created'.
And we usually don't even have people talking simultaneously in our movies. The lines were given but I guess co-ordinated reactions should have been as improvised on that day.

chellappettaiya kANam 'nu chollittirundhAyA nI is a great line. idhai vida enna 'existential' vENdi irukku ?

There is no other way to begin explaining the situation to Mani Iyer. It is both chronologically appropriate as well as the most relevant point to bring up to him. But the world is not interested in the motivations, reasons and brutally force-fits Kameswaran in a framework where he is forced to admit a 'guilt' to conform to others' expectations - thought the 'truth' is more complex.

Kafkaesque 'mbAingaLE.

Plum
6th May 2009, 07:45 PM
Yeah exactly. Just to good to have been 'created'.
And we usually don't even have people talking simultaneously in our movies. The lines were given but I guess co-ordinated reactions should have been as improvised on that day.

yes, yes.

This is why I really rate MMKR apart from the rest of the post-90's comedies of Kamal. Ofcourse, there are glimpses of this in them but usually, comedy is more of set-pieces in those, as it would be in Crazy dramas. Not that I dont enjoy set-pieces, but the level of achievement is greater here.
Interestingly, what I wanted was a balanced discussion on all of these post-90's comedies, and identify the nuances even in those seeming set-piece comedies like Thenali or Panchathantram but when it comes to nuances, we seem to be looping back to MMKR. Idhu varaikkum moonu dhadavai "indha padathai alasi vittadhal, adutha padathukku pogalamnu" sollittu, naame marubadi MMKR puraanam aarambikkaren. What ya movie ya!

HonestRaj
6th May 2009, 09:14 PM
From other thread: :P

..Sathi leelavathi aLavukku MMKR-kku audience (including me) kannula thanni varra aLavu sirikkala.. SL-kku athigama idangaLil theatre kulungiyathu.

:yes:

I still remember - My father was in tears laughing hard which he rarely does watching a movie...as far as I remember SATHILEELAVTHI is the movie he enjoyed THE most in a theatre.

Even now its one movie which gets watched whenever its telecasted on TV...not even mmkr

yes... SathiLeelavathi.. plain & simple to enjoy....... no need to think.. ah how he did all these in one scene.. pamaranukku puriyum nagaichuvai (always my taste)

dei arunu...

dei sakthiiiii inge ennada panre

aahn saami kumbuduraen

crajkumar_be
6th May 2009, 09:15 PM
HR,
"Namma ooru" karangalukku adhu innamume special, enna solreenga?

HonestRaj
6th May 2009, 09:18 PM
HR,

:yes:

SL-la adhuthan nan adhigama rasikkiradhu.... chanceless.. konjum thamizh by Kamal :notworthy:

Singaravelan-layum adhaithan nan rasichadhu (along with GM)

joe
6th May 2009, 09:49 PM
HR,

oh! neengaLum kongu naattu thangama? :)

crajkumar_be
6th May 2009, 09:53 PM
Appa CBE, amma Pudukkottai, i am Singara Chennai :) (lived in CBE for 4 years)

app_engine
6th May 2009, 10:00 PM
Being a cook, it looks so natural when Kameshwaran kadichchifies Shalini's arisi (that holds the art). That bed room scene is one of the best in TF comedies...நான் கடந்த காலப்பாட்டியாக்கும் :-)

Anban
6th May 2009, 10:58 PM
mmkr is so-called intelligent comedy..

well comedy shud be striking.. i cant enjoy hidden comedies...

Plum
6th May 2009, 11:26 PM
Appo crazy mohan drama paarunga :-)

Anban
6th May 2009, 11:59 PM
Appo crazy mohan drama paarunga :-) not all comedies in mmkr are hidden. :P

and i love kaadhalaa kaadhalaa, sathi leelaavathi, avvai , tenali, panchathantiram etc.. they are pure unadulterated fun.. MMKR is also good.. but not as much as the above mentioned movies..

this doesnt mean that i dont have a working brain..

app_engine
7th May 2009, 12:06 AM

பலே, ரொம்ப ஜாக்கிரதையா முன் ஜாமீன் எடுத்துக்குறீங்க:-)

Anban
7th May 2009, 12:27 AM

:P 8-)

Plum
7th May 2009, 12:18 PM

:P 8-)
Anban, naan apdi sollalai. Enakku enna kaduppuna, you said "supposedly intelligent" for MMKR. MMKR patri major-a inge ezhudhinadhu enga thalaivar equa-ngaradhala, idhai oru insult-a karudhi oru thonDana pongi ezhundhuutten, avlo dhaan :-)

salaam_chennai
7th May 2009, 12:46 PM
aniyaayam. Why is vasool raja not in the list. It was more funny than MX and NT which are in the list. Dialogues in VR nallaathane irunthuchu. My favorite is "Naanum paakarein, class aarambichuthala irundhu ethirthu ethirthu pesittu irukeenga, inga naa student'a illa nee student'a??" Kamal says that with utmost sincerity which makes the scene more funny.

My pick of the list is Sathi Leelavathy. Every scene where Kamal comes is a laugh riot. My favourite here(actually its hard to just pick only one, but still)
"Nee eppadiyum seruppadi vaanga pore, enakku yenda vaangi kudukka paakure?"
Kamals kovai tamizh :notworthy:

P_R
7th May 2009, 02:27 PM
MagaLir Mattum
Crazy riot

Rohini(to the colleague who expresses the wish to kill Nasser) : thAyee nee nenchE :lol:

RS Sivaji: Oh ! technology has improved so much eh ? :rotfl2:

Rohini (to ThalaivAsal Vijay in the Nagesh fight): adhungitta innAththukkayyA ? :rotfl:

Urvasi: unga pEru kooda mookkan :lol2:

The step out of the corner smile :lol:

Urvasi (when hurling eggs grenade style): ayyO....naan konjam muzhungittEn pA :lol:

Plum
7th May 2009, 02:29 PM
PR, yeah, thats why I included Magalir Mattum instead of VRMBBS. We have to acknowledge Kamal's role outside his films as main actor.

P_R
7th May 2009, 02:37 PM
Yeah
VRMBBS I can never have a fair standalone opinion. It was a dud. Completely missed the characterization of Munnabhai and the fluency of the Munna-Circuit pair. It was quite obvious Kamal didn't put much into that film.

MagaLir Mattum OTOH is just fluent humour. And it is largely a Crazy show. But doesn't overso it like Panchathanthiram (i.e. Maithuni, mythili attempted puns). Delhi Ganesh should have been accomodated somewhere in this film.

groucho070
8th May 2009, 08:55 AM
Hmm...MMKR still leading.

Joe, not enough pracharam from your side, AS is nearing SL. Kuppudungga ungga lieutenant CR, campaign harder :D

joe
8th May 2009, 08:58 AM
Joe, not enough pracharam from your side, AS is nearing SL. Kuppudungga ungga lieutenant CR, campaign harder :D

இது உட்கட்சி தேர்தல் ..அடிதடியெல்லாம் தேவையில்லை .ஆள்கடத்தல் ,கள்ள ஓட்டு நடத்துற அளவுக்கு கட்சில கோஷ்டி மோதல்லாம் கிடையாது :) எது வென்றாலும் வெற்றி கமலுக்கே :lol:

groucho070
8th May 2009, 09:06 AM

இது உட்கட்சி தேர்தல் ..அடிதடியெல்லாம் தேவையில்லை .ஆள்கடத்தல் ,கள்ள ஓட்டு நடத்துற அளவுக்கு கட்சில கோஷ்டி மோதல்லாம் கிடையாது :) எது வென்றாலும் வெற்றி கமலுக்கே :lol: :thumbsup:

Now, I wonder which is the best Pre-90s comedy flick. Trouble is most are masala stuff, you get comedy in between. Apoorva Sahotharargal is still not an all out comedy.

I can think of Simla Special, Hare Rama Hare Krishna, his participation in Tillu Mullu and of course, the unforgettable Ellam Inba Mayam.

Vivasaayi
8th May 2009, 09:34 AM
groucho,

pre nineties

Its pushpak.

sarna_blr
8th May 2009, 09:37 AM
Simla Special - one of the :cool2: entertaining movie :yes:

sarna_blr
8th May 2009, 11:08 AM
Uyarndha ullam has lot of hilarious moments :rotfl3:

sarna_blr
8th May 2009, 11:12 AM
per sollum pillai - also has lot of hilarious moments .....

one more big plus is Radhika :clap: :clap: such a marvelous actress :bow: :bow:

groucho070
8th May 2009, 11:15 AM
Sarna, you are right about those films. Include Kakichattai (the training session and brush with Ambiga) or the ultimate masala, Toonggathey Thambi Toonggathey.

What I am looking for is straight forward comedy, no pretension, no dramatic moment, just straight to the laugh movies Pre-90s.

Raikkonen
8th May 2009, 11:16 AM
ellam inba mayam was awesome too..

sarna_blr
8th May 2009, 11:18 AM
Sarna, you are right about those films. Include Kakichattai (the training session and brush with Ambiga) or the ultimate masala, Toonggathey Thambi Toonggathey.

What I am looking for is straight forward comedy, no pretension, no dramatic moment, just straight to the laugh movies Pre-90s.

might be pushpak(innum paarkkalai) based on hubbers posts :)

groucho070
8th May 2009, 11:31 AM

Yeah. I always am confused with Pusphak's release date. Used to think it was 1990, which is MMKR year.

sarna_blr
8th May 2009, 11:36 AM

Yeah. I always am confused with Pusphak's release date. Used to think it was 1990, which is MMKR year.

Pushapaka Vimaana is a kannada movie released in 1988, later dubbed(??? ) into other Indian languages 8-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pushpak

Plum
8th May 2009, 11:38 AM
ush...kakki mattai, per kedutha pillai pathi ellam inge pesi BP ethadeengappa...

sarna_blr
8th May 2009, 11:40 AM
ush...kakki mattai, per kedutha pillai pathi ellam inge pesi BP ethadeengappa...

plum, didnt u enjoy those movies :?

groucho070
8th May 2009, 11:41 AM
ush...kakki mattai, per kedutha pillai pathi ellam inge pesi BP ethadeengappa... :lol: I have a soft spot for PSP myself :oops:

Vivasaayi
8th May 2009, 11:41 AM

one of the irritating movies of kamal in early 80's..kamal and gounder saved the movie quiet a bit

kaakki sattai was very good after sathyaraj enters the scene.Except the romantic scenes between him and ambika - the film is a nice entertainer.

enakul oruvan comedy i feel is slightly better - though it had YG Mahendra in it

Raikkonen
8th May 2009, 11:43 AM

maharaasan vida ithu evvalavo paravalainga..

kakki chattai was insanely entertaining..

Plum
8th May 2009, 11:44 AM
kakki mattai parava illai but still konjam damage dhaan. But Per Kedutha Pillai is the mother of all disasters for Kamal. It's his own 'Siva' or 'Pandian'.
I think idhukkappuram he straight went to Apoorva Sagodharargal and did parigaaram.

Vivasaayi
8th May 2009, 11:45 AM

maharasan is very much underrated - it is pure fun...

kamal,gounder,vkr,senthil everyone joins the party...

groucho070
8th May 2009, 11:45 AM
Per Sollum Pillai is an NT movie with Kamal in it. Like Dharma Durai for Rajini.

In fact, Kamal himself has said in an interview that he wanted to do something like the early Bheem Singh films, like Padikaatha Methai and got the writer of that film, K.S. Gopalakrishnan, to write this one.

Athaaannn.... :ashamed:

sarna_blr
8th May 2009, 11:48 AM

one of the irritating movies of kamal in early 80's..kamal and gounder saved the movie quiet a bit

per sollum pillai'la gounder villain dhaana :?

Plum
8th May 2009, 11:52 AM
yeah, maharasan is quite under-rated. Another Kamal movie quite unsagikkable for me is Kalaignan. Under-whelming.

groucho, the padikkadha medhai inspiration is obvious. But KR Vijaya :-(, KS Gopalakrishnan :-( Ravinder :-( Kooda thalaiyan Chakravarthy :-(.
A horrible, over-playing Radhika :-(
Thappu Thanda panniduven :-(
Raja in bad form except for couple of songs :-(
Over-trying choreography for Ammamma Singakutty :-(
Kamal's acting in sentimental scenes - auto-pilot, standard gestures and irritating.
As Vivs said, Gounder is the major aarudhal of the movie - even he isnt in full form, the comic villain was more villainous than comic taking away the edge of Gounder's forte. Still, he slips in a couple of effortless gems.

I am not at all comfortable with Kamal's masala movies of 80's. IMO, ofcourse.

Plum
8th May 2009, 11:56 AM
Pre-90's comedies-na, I'd just about bring in Iru Nilavugal(I think), dubbing of the telugu Sommakkodidhi Sokkokkadidhi - the first Singeetham-Kamal colloboration.

groucho070
8th May 2009, 11:57 AM
Another Kamal movie quite unsagikkable for me is Kalaignan. Under-whelming.

:shock: :oops: (looking for "hide your head inside the sand" emoticon)

Raikkonen
8th May 2009, 11:58 AM
there's another kamal movie with sreedevi.. theater artists i think..

there's a romantic song in that movie where they were dressed up with hamlet costumes.. pretty torrid to watch.. what movie was that??

crajkumar_be
8th May 2009, 11:59 AM

:notthatway: -nga
Annan awesome dance and singing!

Kamal's acting in sentimental scenes - auto-pilot, standard gestures and irritating.

:exactly: Forget others, Aandavar himself was a bit irritating in movies like these...

Quite a few films, yes. IR was the redemption
[Aana sinna vayasula masala/nalla padam nu paarapaksham ellam kidayaadhu. Aandavar and IR na guaranteed satisfaction dhaan]

groucho070
8th May 2009, 12:01 PM
[Aana sinna vayasula masala/nalla padam nu paarapaksham ellam jidayaadhu. Aandavar and IR na guaranteed satisfaction dhaan]

Exactly. That will rule out Manggama Sabatham, where Kamal looked uncomfortable doing a ripoff of Billy Jean. But appo romba enjoy pannuna padam ithu, "Naan paaaayiiiiiithiyaaam". :D

Edit. uncomfortable dancing to a Billie Jean ripoff song. Who did the music anyway?

sarna_blr
8th May 2009, 12:04 PM
yeah, maharasan is quite under-rated. Another Kamal movie quite unsagikkable for me is Kalaignan. Under-whelming.

groucho, the padikkadha medhai inspiration is obvious. But KR Vijaya :-(, KS Gopalakrishnan :-( Ravinder :-( Kooda thalaiyan Chakravarthy :-(.
A horrible, over-playing Radhika :-(
Thappu Thanda panniduven :-(
Raja in bad form except for couple of songs :-(
As Vivs said, Gounder is the major aarudhal of the movie - even he isnt in full form, the comic villain was more villainous than comic taking away the edge of Gounder's forte. Still, he slips in a couple of effortless gems.

/// :shock: gounder thummunaa kooda comedy'nu solra koottaththula neengalum oruththaraa .... ofcourse its ur opinion .... me :wave: ///

Plum
8th May 2009, 12:05 PM
there's another kamal movie with sreedevi.. theater artists i think..

there's a romantic song in that movie where they were dressed up with hamlet costumes.. pretty torrid to watch.. what movie was that??

Vadivelan Manasu vechan, malara vechan, malarndhadhu roja chedi, maanthoppu jodikili...

crajkumar_be
8th May 2009, 12:07 PM
[quote=Plum]
As Vivs said, Gounder is the major aarudhal of the movie

/// :shock:
I'll have to agree with sarna here :)

Plum
8th May 2009, 12:07 PM
sarna , muzhusa padingayya!
"even he isnt in full form, the comic villain was more villainous than comic taking away the edge of Gounder's forte. Still, he slips in a couple of effortless gems."

This was mild praise for a mildly passable performance. naan ellame aLandhu dhaan podaren...neenga dhaan purinjikkama...

crajkumar_be
8th May 2009, 12:08 PM
"naan ellame aLandhu dhaan podaren"
A great man recently said "My steps are measured" :razz:

Plum
8th May 2009, 12:10 PM

:notthatway: -nga
Annan awesome dance and singing!

Agree to disagree dhaan. Enna solla, I find Kamal's expressions in the song trying. Romba try pannuvaar variety kodukka, and to show that he can give navarasam on face while dancing complex steps. Netrikann thirandhaalum...:-)

Quite a few films, yes. IR was the redemption
[Aana sinna vayasula masala/nalla padam nu paarapaksham ellam kidayaadhu. Aandavar and IR na guaranteed satisfaction dhaan]

Apdi illai CR. nanga mattum enna Elipathayam CD-odava porandhom equa maadhiri :-). Even as a masala movie they didnt appeal to me then-nu solla varaen.

P_R
8th May 2009, 12:13 PM

maharasan is very much underrated - it is pure fun...

kamal,gounder,vkr,senthil everyone joins the party...

VKR asks Senthil to hit Kamal
Kamalt oodu kattifies
Senthil: mudhaLaali indha aaL vENaam...neenga vEra aaL kaaminga naanga adikkirOm :lol:

crajkumar_be
8th May 2009, 12:14 PM
nanga mattum enna Elipathayam CD-odava porandhom equa maadhiri :-).

Vivasaayi
8th May 2009, 12:16 PM
"even he isnt in full form, the comic villain was more villainous than comic taking away the edge of Gounder's forte. Still, he slips in a couple of effortless gems."

This was mild praise for a mildly passable performance. naan ellame aLandhu dhaan podaren...neenga dhaan purinjikkama...

his encounter with kamal initially was funny...

kamal indirectly insulting him and his reaction like "ippo yarada sonna" and all made the film little watchable

ammamma singakutty was one of the very few kamal songs i skip ...overdone to the core

kalaingan - overdone - but ilayaraja :notworthy:

Vivasaayi
8th May 2009, 12:18 PM

andha videova marakka mateenga pola

crajkumar_be
8th May 2009, 12:19 PM

andha videova marakka mateenga pola
Nevaire! Veliya pogumbodhellam nenachu nenachu sirichirukken pa...

sarna_blr
8th May 2009, 12:20 PM

indha mild praise'ku kooda Kamal's pre-90's masalas thagudhi illainu sollumbOdhudhaan, y for GM'nudhaan kEkkaththOnudhu :roll:

vEra onnum illa Plum :)

Vivasaayi
8th May 2009, 12:21 PM

indha mild praise'ku kooda Kamal's pre-90's masalas thagudhi illainu sollumbOdhudhaan, y for GM'nudhaan kEkkaththOnudhu :roll:

because GM was not bad in that movie - he did his part well.nobody said its the best thing ever etc...

P_R
8th May 2009, 12:23 PM
Kalaignan - theatre queuela nikkumbOdhu oru padupaavi suspense-ai solli keduththuttAn :x

Kamal also looked a little too old for the singer-dancer role
His acting is quite ordinary too

Back then, adhAvadhu appo...I thought some parts were cool.
As in "indha aMMaNiya thEdureengaLA" to the gang and then the fight in the car park. The scene where he gives confusing directions to the police station.

Songs are great :clap:

Plum
8th May 2009, 12:23 PM
Yaaru? Ennaiya vechu comedy-keemedy onnum pannaliye? :-)

P_R
8th May 2009, 12:24 PM
Missed this :lol2:

sarna_blr
8th May 2009, 12:25 PM
nobody said its the best thing ever etc...
did I sound so in my previous posts ???

Vivasaayi
8th May 2009, 12:26 PM
Yaaru? Ennaiya vechu comedy-keemedy onnum pannaliye? :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD13JKuXDxs

Plum
8th May 2009, 12:26 PM
Kalaignan - theatre queuela nikkumbOdhu oru padupaavi suspense-ai solli keduththuttAn :x

Kamal also looked a little too old for the singer-dancer role
His acting is quite ordinary too

Back then, adhAvadhu appo...I thought some parts were cool.
As in "indha aMMaNiya thEdureengaLA" to the gang and then the fight in the car park. The scene where he gives confusing directions to the police station.

Songs are great :clap:

:-). Indha suspense breakers thollai thaanga mudiyaadhuppa. Adhule enna aanandhamo. Idhula sila nanmaigalum irukku - Guptnu oru indhi padam. Indhi padam maattume paarka koodiyadha irukkara oorula irundhadhaala, nanbargolada peer-pressure poga vendiyadha pochu. Mudhal kolai scene-la "dekho kajol murder kar rahi hai"-nu oru nalluLLam katthittan. Sari, suspense poyidichunu nanbargaL kootta thalaivan decide panni udane thirumbittom. Andha Suspense Breaker nalluLLam engirundhalum vaazhga - illaina 3 hrs I would have been forced to watch a movie with 3 heroines I dont like.

Vivasaayi
8th May 2009, 12:27 PM

goundamani thummina kooda...etc..

he did more than "thummal" in that movie..infact quiet funny in some scenes

Plum
8th May 2009, 12:29 PM
vivs, ippo officelerundhu uteeb paarka mudiyadhu. Veedu pora varaikkum suspense thaangadhu. Indha vishayathula, suspense-breaker nalluLLama andha "steps measure" matter ennanu sollidunga...

P_R
8th May 2009, 12:30 PM

goundamani thummina kooda...etc..

he did more than "thummal" in that movie..infact quiet funny in some scenes

Annan thummunAlum adhula EdhAvadhu seyvAr 'ngradhu vEra vishayam :-)

Vivasaayi
8th May 2009, 12:31 PM
vivs, ippo officelerundhu uteeb paarka mudiyadhu. Veedu pora varaikkum suspense thaangadhu. Indha vishayathula, suspense-breaker nalluLLama andha "steps measure" matter ennanu sollidunga...

i will never suppress and oppress and depress the suspense of a tamilian..

u go and watch ... but i will assure u that this will be the best video u have watched in recent times.

crajkumar_be
8th May 2009, 12:31 PM
Kalaignar paattu nalla irukkum but lighta overrated-o nu thonum...

sarna_blr
8th May 2009, 12:33 PM
vivs, sari vidunga :)

But I enjoyed most of Kamal's pre-90's movie(most of them in SunTV) :)

// pointing at me ---- unakku most of the Surya padangal mattum dhaandaa rasikka mudiyaadhu :rant: //

P_R
:-). Indha suspense breakers thollai thaanga mudiyaadhuppa. Adhule enna aanandhamo. Idhula sila nanmaigalum irukku - Guptnu oru indhi padam. Indhi padam maattume paarka koodiyadha irukkara oorula irundhadhaala, nanbargolada peer-pressure poga vendiyadha pochu. Mudhal kolai scene-la "dekho kajol murder kar rahi hai"-nu oru nalluLLam katthittan. Sari, suspense poyidichunu nanbargaL kootta thalaivan decide panni udane thirumbittom. Andha Suspense Breaker nalluLLam engirundhalum vaazhga - illaina 3 hrs I would have been forced to watch a movie with 3 heroines I dont like.

ippidi solli engaLukku suspense-ai udaichitteengaLE :hammer:

Kajol,Manisha reNdu pErumE pudikkAdhA ? :shock:

Yaar third heroine ? Bobby-A ?

crajkumar_be

u go and watch ... but i will assure u that this will be the best video u have watched in recent times.
TR in press conference. One "appo Sangar kochikka mattaara" press reporter asks him "avarukku mattum koottam varudhu, ungalukku koottame varradhillaye, yen?" (referring to prachara koottam). Adhukkappuram kelambuvaaru parunga....
200% satisfaction or your money back policy

Vivasaayi
8th May 2009, 12:34 PM
vivs, sari vidunga :)

But I enjoyed most of Kamal's pre-90's movie(most of them in SunTV) :)

:)

Vivasaayi
8th May 2009, 12:36 PM

"avarukku mattum koottam varudhu, ungalukku koottame varradhillaye, yen?" (referring to prachara koottam).
200% satisfaction or your money back policy

Thats an unparliamentary word..how cAn u say?how cAn u say?

P_R
8th May 2009, 12:36 PM
One "appo Sangar kochikka mattaara" press reporter :lol:

Plum
8th May 2009, 12:41 PM
ippidi solli engaLukku suspense-ai udaichitteengaLE :hammer:

Kajol,Manisha reNdu pErumE pudikkAdhA ? :shock:

Yaar third heroine ? Bobby-A ?

Yeah, obvious 'bobby is feminine' joke there. In retrospect, not so funny as I thought while posting.

Apdiye periya hitchcock suspense, naanga udaichittom. Pongappa, kozhandhaingala padikka vaiyungappa.

equanimus
8th May 2009, 12:45 PM
Missed this :lol2:
:lol: nAnum Kamal kai reNduththaiyum sErththu vaLaichchu vaLaichchu AduRa steppu, kAl reNduththaiyum atta-tayaththula mEla thUkki mid-air'la thoduRa steppu, ellAththaiyum pArththu vaLandhavan dhAn sir!

P.S.: By the way, nAn oru Adoor Gopalakrishnan padam kUda idhu varaikkum pArththadhE illa! Unfortunately. His 'Kodiyettam' is available on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=B22BD7361ED412FB&search_query=kodiyettam) incidentally.

Plum
8th May 2009, 12:48 PM
equa, oorukku iLaichavan...ungalai leg-pull pandradhula oru alpa sandhosham...avlo dhaan :-)

P_R
8th May 2009, 12:54 PM
>dikrEsan>

P.S.: By the way, nAn oru Adoor Gopalakrishnan padam kUda idhu varaikkum pArththadhE illa! Unfortunately. His 'Kodiyettam' is available on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=B22BD7361ED412FB&search_query=kodiyettam) incidentally.

Actually naanum paakka mudiyAdhabadikku kadiyA irukkumnu ninaichu oNNu pAththEn : 'kadhAnAyagam'. Pretty interesting. Doesn't test patience or anything like that.
<<

Plum
8th May 2009, 12:55 PM
neenga marudhanayagam efect-lerundhu vidupadaliya? It is Katha Nayagan, right?

equanimus
8th May 2009, 12:58 PM
I think it is Kathapurushan.

Plum
8th May 2009, 12:59 PM
ya! ofcourse. equa-na summava. Kathapurushan dhaan.

P_R
8th May 2009, 01:06 PM
:oops:
reNdum oNNu dhaanE kuzhappureengaLE

Actually I 'read' the movie before I watched it. 'The Little Magazine' appidinnu guNdA oru magazine irundhudhu (irukku ?).The only thing Little about it was the readership. They used to publish English translation of scripts of various Indian language films.(Ardh Satya, SomaNa Dhudi, Kathapurushan...) Namma Mahanadhiyai 'nominate' paNNi email anuppinEn. Letters-to-the-editor-la mattum pOttu appidiyE amukkittaanunga. They Suppress, Oppress and Depress the Tamils yA.

Plum
8th May 2009, 01:43 PM
"reNdum oNNu dhaanE kuzhappureengaLE "
This is as obfuscating as "neenga solraa maadhiryum sollalam" :-)

joe
8th May 2009, 02:19 PM
'The Little Magazine' appidinnu guNdA oru magazine irundhudhu (irukku ?).The only thing Little about it was the readership.

joe
8th May 2009, 02:21 PM

NallaveLai ..ithuvaraikkum yaarum "appo yaaru Kathapondatti?"-nnu kekkala. :)

groucho070
8th May 2009, 02:21 PM

NallaveLai ..ithuvaraikkum yaarum "appo yaaru Kathapondatti?"-nnu kekkala. :) :lol:

Plum
8th May 2009, 03:05 PM

NallaveLai ..ithuvaraikkum yaarum "appo yaaru Kathapondatti?"-nnu kekkala. :)

neenga kettutteengale...

app_engine
8th May 2009, 08:16 PM
Prior to Apoorva sahodhararkaL, IMO, Kamal's attempts in making people laugh weren't that great. He used to have YGM as his side-kick in many of those movies / scenes (who has been voted the most unfunny comedian by the hub recently) which further abused the attempts. Otherwise some 'kadi' stuff (pAsam, pAsamuLLa nAi kind).

It took Gautami to spark the "good" comedian in him :-) Every scene involving both these two were laugh riots in AS!

Plum
11th May 2009, 07:49 PM
Happened to catch last year's Bollywood Blockbuster "Welcome". MMKR climax boring-nu sonnavanga idhai paarkanum. Adhe concept. Adhe execution but unfunny to the core. Ofcourse, indha comparison thevaiye illai. Irundhaalum...

P_R
19th May 2009, 07:10 PM
Apropos of nothing

நான் கடந்தகால பாட்டியாக்கும் :lol:

NOV
23rd February 2010, 07:39 PM
Reboot

Aalavanthan
23rd February 2010, 07:41 PM
:clap: :clap:

இதெல்லாம் பார்மேஷேன் நெனகனும் தெர்தா

http://www.youtube.com/watch?playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=Lf037mJ7nsI&v=QdAtrJzGO9c

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Anban
23rd February 2010, 08:55 PM
Prior to Apoorva sahodhararkaL, IMO, Kamal's attempts in making people laugh weren't that great. He used to have YGM as his side-kick in many of those movies / scenes (who has been voted the most unfunny comedian by the hub recently) which further abused the attempts. Otherwise some 'kadi' stuff (pAsam, pAsamuLLa nAi kind).

It took Gautami to spark the "good" comedian in him :-) Every scene involving both these two were laugh riots in AS! vaalve maayam first half and simla special

Vivasaayi
23rd February 2010, 10:09 PM
:clap: :clap:

இதெல்லாம் பார்மேஷேன் நெனகனும் தெர்தா

http://www.youtube.com/watch?playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=Lf037mJ7nsI&v=QdAtrJzGO9c

:rotfl: :rotfl:

My most fav scene from MMKR

Level-a formation-a nikkanum..dherdha?..isnt it?

safe-a veyyu!

safela vekkanuma boss?

adhaanya sonnen...

Aalavanthan
24th February 2010, 01:23 AM

safe-a veyyu!

safela vekkanuma boss?

adhaanya sonnen...

naanum andha clip-aa neraiya dhadava repeat panni paathaen.. andha "level" enaku ettala.. ippa ettiduchu :lol:

and the following sequence of him singing and ending "ilangai vaaaaaaaennnnnnnnnndhan dda da da da da" :lol:

Bala (Karthik)
24th February 2010, 01:34 AM
Thamizharasan had recently commented about how the characters in KH-Crazy films buy time by repeating uneasy questions...

"Irukka na, irukkudhaa.... ippo free-a irukkudha nu artham" :lol:

littlemaster1982
24th February 2010, 07:08 AM

safe-a veyyu!

safela vekkanuma boss?

adhaanya sonnen...

naanum andha clip-aa neraiya dhadava repeat panni paathaen.. andha "level" enaku ettala.. ippa ettiduchu :lol:

and the following sequence of him singing and ending "ilangai vaaaaaaaennnnnnnnnndhan dda da da da da" :lol:

Nagesh: Sir, naan en kashtatthai sollittu irukken. Neenga ippadi naarasama paadareengale!!!

:rotfl2:

groucho070
24th February 2010, 07:19 AM
vaalve maayam first half and simla specialV. Gopalakrishnan as one of his buddies is unacceptable, though there were some good scenes (Devi Sri Devi song sequence repeated in Singaravelan). Simla Special, on the other hand, is pure gold :D

jinju
24th February 2010, 08:36 AM
day before thaan mmkr revisit pannen...still works for me!!!

kamal: illinga, idh vandh guesthouse...
manorama: oh naan kooda unga housenu nenachen...aamaa, yaarindha guestu? :D

nethu singaravelan along with indiran chandiran...even SV is cool...not sure how the film did @ the BO....IC was boring, stopped midway...kind of revisiting kamalji films, tonyt maybe sakalakalaavallavan....indha thread appropriate for sharing! :)

jinju
24th February 2010, 08:39 AM
btw, wherez Singaravelan director rv udhayakumar nowadays? made a few gud films in the 90s...

raghavendran
24th February 2010, 06:55 PM
btw, wherez Singaravelan director rv udhayakumar nowadays? made a few gud films in the 90s...
ya..but singaravelan ellam kamal oda workkudhan..latest of rv udaykumar is karka kasadare with duplicate vj....

raghavendran
25th February 2010, 05:57 PM
post 90's comedy....again by kamal-k.s.r combo yavarum keleer starring kamal,madhavan,trisha,udayanidhi stalin
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/feb-10-04/kamal-haasan-madhavan-yavarum-keleer-25-02-10.html

NOV
25th February 2010, 06:17 PM
ayyO ayyO ayyO ayyO

raghavendran
25th February 2010, 06:26 PM
ayyO ayyO ayyO ayyO
NOV,
indha reactionnukku artham enne???...santhosama ille dhukkama???

NOV
25th February 2010, 06:27 PM
oppaari vaikkaadha korai :cry2:

Aalavanthan
25th February 2010, 06:29 PM

yaen Goa padam indha poll-la irukanumnu paakareengala.. This is Kamal's post 90 sir-ae

raghavendran
25th February 2010, 06:30 PM
NOV
Y???

NOV
25th February 2010, 06:34 PM
yuva, pls stop your mokkais. :sigh2: :P

raghav, I have given up totally on KSR :cry3:

Aalavanthan
25th February 2010, 06:37 PM
ayyO ayyO ayyO ayyO