PDA

View Full Version : It happens NOT only in India!!

Hummingbird
22nd May 2009, 11:57 PM
[tscii]
Dear All
Long time since I hubbed.......

Those who knew me and my reputation to vanish quite so often will now be wondering ‘Okay…. what is it now?’ :huh:

Well…. Am back for a reason…. A reason that I hope will make me visit the hub more often than before….. and yeah, there is also a reason why I am petering 8-) and not writing in my usual Tanglish

I decided I am going to hub again sometime around 7pm yesterday… when I was waiting with my friend for a train in a London underground station…. The experiences between 2pm and 7pm was so exciting and so unexpected that I had to put them down in words and what better place can I think of in this world, than our cozy little hub to share the excitement…. :exactly:

And when I said this friend of mine, who was waiting with me for the train, that I have to write this and I am gonna go back to hub, he was excited as well :cheer: and wanted to know what I write and how is the response to my writing. And this friend, being a non-Tamilian, asked me to write it fully in English, so that he can also understand whats going on. So that’s the reason for this petering. :!:

Okay… who is this friend? Well…. for now, lets say his name is X-man :frightened: As we go along, I will share this link with him for him to read and reflect. I thought it would only be fair to share this link as he was also a party to the excitement. :cool2: I leave it to him to decide to join /not to join this cute community

Here we go with “It happens NOT only in India!!” :2thumbsup:

pavalamani pragasam
23rd May 2009, 07:40 AM
Curiosity is aroused! :D

Hummingbird
23rd May 2009, 02:03 PM
[tscii]
At 2:10pm, I finish work, come out of a building in Borough High Street and call X-man to tell him I am on my way to the meeting point where we were supposed to meet at around 2:30pm.

“Hey, X-man … am on my way”

“Yeah, am leaving office now in 5 mins, will see you at London bridge in 15 mins”

“So where do we meet at London bridge? Which line?”

“I will come from Canary Wharf.. So, on Jubilee line… Will meet at the Jubilee line platform”

“Jubilee line? Ok.. but bound in which direction? East or West?”

“We have to go to Willesden green.. So come to that platform no…”

“Okie.. Will see u at the platform then.. bye”

(For those who are wondering whats this all about, London Underground network is a metro system in London. It is commonly called Tube and if the Tube network breaks on any given day, London will come to a standstill. Tube is such an integral part of London life and anyone who has lived in London even for a very short while would have travelled in it at least once.
There are many lines, similar to the multiple lines in Mumbai train network. London Bridge, as the name suggests, is a tube station near London Bridge and is served by 3 lines – Jublilee line, Circle line and District line. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground can give you some more insight about this complex and vital transport system in the largest metropolitan area of the European Union.)

I reach London bridge station, Jubilee line platform at 2:20pm and wait for X-man. I look at the time for next train and I see that the 3rd train from then will reach at 2:30pm. So, lets say X-man gets a bit delayed, he should anyway reach by that train. :yes: I watch the 3 trains go by and I can see everyone else in London other than X-man is arriving … :argh:

Now, I can’t even call him as there is no coverage in the Tube network when it is underground :sigh2: . I had to believe I am waiting at the right platform and he knew I am waiting here..
Ah!! There comes the next train, may be he missed the previous one by a few seconds, he has to be in this… I try to take a bet as to which compartment he was going to come out of… I don’t mind losing on this bet so long as he comes out of some compartment or other… There you go!!! One more train but no X-man
Doubt starts creeping into my mind.. did I do any mistake.. did he say 15 mins or 50 mins? But Canary Wharf is just 3 stations from here, so it cant take 50 mins.. :confused2: it has to be 15…
So, did he say he will meet me in the platform where the trains are bound for Willesden Green or at the platform where trains are bound for Canary Wharf? :confused2: Or may be he said he will meet me at the entrance and not at the platform…. :omg: What do I do now? Should I go to the entrance or the other platform or continue to believe it is just a matter of delay and not a mistake….. :oops2:

2:45 pm
I stopped taking bets now :irked: . There comes a train that goes to Stanmore. The train stops, people are getting down and anyway, X-man is not going to be in this.

Is this true?? X-man has indeed come… finally…. :redjump: Or have I looked for him so much that I am assuming someone else to be him… But no, he is also smiling at me and waving his hand… it is X-man… ‘Hurray!!! It was not a mistake at last’
:bluejump:

We immediately get back into the same train as it goes to Baker street where we have to get down to change to another line for the train to Willesden Green

‘Hey! I started on time but a colleague of mine caught me while I was just getting out and that’s why… sorry for the delay’ :oops:

‘That’s fine’ :angry2:

The train starts and we head to Baker Street.

Yes, that’s the station to get down if you want to go to the world’s most famous address – 221b, Baker Street, the official home of Sherlock Holmes. But no…. we are not going there today!!!!

http://www.sherlock-holmes.co.uk/

madhu
23rd May 2009, 07:52 PM
kiruthiga...

soooperungO...

BTW... Baker street-nu sonnadhum niRaiya cake shop irukkumnu ninaichEn :slurp:

pavalamani pragasam
23rd May 2009, 08:07 PM
Has the story ended? :roll:

Hummingbird
23rd May 2009, 08:15 PM
No..... some more chapters are coming.... this is just the beginning :twisted:

pavalamani pragasam
23rd May 2009, 08:17 PM
OK! Waiting!

Hummingbird
23rd May 2009, 08:23 PM
kiruthiga...

soooperungO...

evlavu naal kazhichu vandhalum, ennai udane note panni paaraati encourage pannum madhu annavuku :notworthy:

BTW... Baker street-nu sonnadhum niRaiya cake shop irukkumnu ninaichEn :slurp:

Baker streetla naanga maara vendiya line is "Bakerloo line" idhuku enna solringa :rotfl2:

NOV
23rd May 2009, 08:28 PM
krithika, dont keep us waiting too long.... sivaji padam release panni 2 varushamaachu :P

madhu
24th May 2009, 08:11 AM
Baker streetla naanga maara vendiya line is "Bakerloo line" idhuku enna solringa :rotfl2:

avLOthAnE !

Ok.. that also happens not only in India :cool: :yessir:

Anoushka
25th May 2009, 10:52 PM
Vaanga Kiruthiga, waiting for your next installment... enga Australi-la irunthu UK pakkam vandhuteengaLa? :)

madhu
26th May 2009, 04:40 AM
enna Achu ? waiting... :P

Hummingbird
8th June 2009, 06:41 AM
Shyamala : enga indha pakkamnu kekkumbodhe andha pakkathlerndhu kelambiten :( ... how are you? how is your kutti paapa?

Madhu : Travelling, adhu idhunu konjam busy ayten.. sorry... next chapter will be posted today :)

Hummingbird
8th June 2009, 07:21 AM
[tscii:4bf640f867]Baker Street

We get down from the train, walk to Bakerloo line platform and wait for the next train to go to Stonebridge Park. The train arrives and off we go to Stonebridge Park :wave:

By the way, why are we going there……..? We are going there because that’s where the temple is, where we want to go first – BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, London (http://www.mandir.org) – the largest Hindu temple outside India in 2000. :clap:

As we walk to the temple, we see cute little children walking home from school :happydance: , some with parents :swinghead: , some as a group :yakyak: and most of them waiting in the car. No…. these kids don’t get to see the soan papdi walas and the cotton candy walas :slurp: that we saw outside our schools… nor do they get to sit on the small ferry wheels :cheer: like what we did when we were like them. Their lives are comfortable and sophisticated… but devoid of the simple joys like eating a watermelon piece that has been kept in open air and still not falling sick, licking the multi-coloured ice stick made by the kuchi icewala (kuchi – stick) and still not catching cold… Were we lucky to have experienced such simple and small funs or are these kids lucky to have such comfortable lives :?:

Before going to the temple, X-man now takes me to a much more interesting and exciting place - a large Indian store and an amazing sweet stall. After some shopping (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :bluejump: :redjump: at the sweet stall, we finally head to the temple.

I am not going into the details of temple visit except that it was so nice to be inside such a wonderful place. But the instant peace and calm that one can feel when inside a temple has always awed me. How can a structure, built of stone and wood soothe anyone who believes in the Lord and the Lord’s Power…… :notworthy:

By now, it was past 4:30pm and we have not had lunch yet :x . The plan was to go to a famous and a good Indian restaurant where X-man would host me a lunch. He owed me lots of treats and the sweet stall shopping was for a starter. :mrgreen:

Three things were influencing the visit to the restaurant now.
1. The hype that X-man had created about the quality of food at this restaurant :roll:
2. If you do not have lunch until 4:30 pm, you know what it means!!!!!! :argh:
3. My liking to any type of food that is vegetarian !!! – the restaurant we are heading to is a vegetarian restaurant :slurp:

Back to the station, and we climb stairs to get to the platform where the underground train arrives :boo: (No!!! Am not blabbering due to hunger… at this station, the underground train platform is really overground. You do have to climb stairs)

Once we reach the platform, X-man makes an amazing discovery!!! That we have come to the opposite platform… Lucky him, there were no trains arriving in that platform at that time and he didn’t do this when we were coming back from the restaurant… Had it been the other way round ………… :hammer: .

X-man makes me walk down the stairs and climb the stairs again to reach the other platform (Jumping down from the platform, crossing the tracks and climbing the platform on the other side cannot happen here! That happens definitely only in India!!!!!) :thumbsup:

The train arrives, and we are off to Wembley where we had the experience that HAPPENS NOT ONLY IN INDIA!!!!!!! :wave:
[/tscii:4bf640f867]

pavalamani pragasam
8th June 2009, 08:58 AM
Building up suspense!

madhu
8th June 2009, 07:47 PM
Jumping down from the platform, crossing the tracks and climbing the platform on the other side cannot happen here! That happens definitely only in India!!!!!)

adhAn daily nadakkudhE ! :P

enna nadanthuchu Wembley-la ? :shaking:

Hummingbird
15th June 2009, 11:20 AM
[tscii:07b84505ca]Wembley

We get out of Wembley station and wait a minute…….. am I really in London :shock: ???…. I feel like I just got out of West Mambalam station and walked into Ranganathan Street :roll: . Shops extending onto pavements, cracked glass windows with brown cellulose tapes, handicapped plaster of paris models with sarees and churidhars draped over them….. and so many Indian faces. So much so that Brits start looking like foreigners here :lol:

With complete awe, I start walking alongside X-man. We head towards the much hyped up restaurant , with utter disrespect to so many other restaurants that were open on the way :boo: … Indian, North Indian, South Indian, Authentic Indian, Sri Lankan, Chinese, Multi cuisine etc. While on the way, we also see Ragini Thanga Nagai Maligai (No!!! am not joking… it was written in Senthamizh), Bank of Baroda, Chennai Dosa centre and what not!!!

We walk for about 10 mins. If we had carried a GPS with us, that’s the time when the GPS lady would have said “Arrived at the destination” :clap: Yes, we are now at the doorstep of the restaurant. As we are about to push the door open… X-man notices that the restaurant opens for dinner at 6pm only. We still had 30 mins to go and my stomach had already started rumbling :evil:

X-man looks at me … and says :fishgrin: ‘Hey!!! I should have noticed this before. We have 30 mins now !! (as if I said we have 3 mins :x ). What do we do?’. After much deliberation, we decided we will walk up and down the road and enjoy the Indian side of London and in the process, burn some more calories so that we can eat more :yes:!! The only good thing was we had whiled away 5 out of the 30 mins in the deliberation :( .

We walk up the street and the further we go, the better it gets…. Ranganathan street transforming into Pondy Bazaar… or may be Commercial Street, Sarojini Market, Gandhi market….. stalls with sarees from Surat. Yes!!! Those synthetic sarees with block prints for Rs.150 /- oops!!! I meant £5 … and yeah!! Its on sale 1 for £5 or 3 for £10. And, there they are!!!! Cotton kurtis, salwars and even mix n match churidhars….:bluejump: Lo!!! Here you go… stainless steel vessel store with pressure cookers, dabba sets, tablespoons and all odds and sods that we normally see in our home back in India. We had so much fun watching this fanfare that for a while, I even forgot that I was hungry. :redjump:

5:45pm: we decided to walk back to the restaurant to be the first customer of the evening. We reached the restaurant with 3 mins to go for the board to change from “CLOSED” to “OPEN”. We probably looked so pathetic :cry: that the owner decided to change it to “OPEN” without making us wait for the full 3 mins. We walk in and the Hero 8-) offers us a seat near the window so that we can enjoy our lunch/dinner while we watch the market place.

We ordered starters with tea first. Tea arrived and we were obliviously embarking on our experience that HAPPENS NOT ONLY IN INDIA!!!!
[/tscii:07b84505ca]

madhu
15th June 2009, 07:02 PM
I feel like I just got out of West Mambalam station and walked into Ranganathan Street

:notthatway: there is no west mambalam station.. Only mambalam is here :mrgreen:

We ordered starters with tea first.

nalla muzhichirundhu ellAthaiyum sAppida plan-A ? :))

Hummingbird
26th June 2009, 10:11 AM
[tscii:3df0ddc48f]Tea was served in a nice little cup n saucer. We took a sip and the tea was very tasty :) but not hot :( . We called our Hero and said ‘chai garam nai hai!!!!’…. Mr Hero immediately responded ‘no problem sir, garam kar dhenge' :slurp: and even before finishing his response, took our cups and walked inside .. into the kitchen!!! :yessir:

It took us a moment to realize what Mr Hero was about to do :omg: and we started laughing!!!! Yes, he was going to heat the tea in the microwave and bring it back to us :exactly: . No, its not the fact that he was reheating the tea :notthatway: . When the tea comes back, Mr Hero will be fully confident and not have an iota of doubt on whether he served us back our respective cups of tea :confused2: . But we would definitely be unsure :think: of whether the right cup came back to us. Despite this, we liked our Hero as he was the only person in the restaurant who was thoroughly enjoying :cheer: what he was doing and was completely sure that there is only one right way of doing this job, :yes: and that’s his way. :exactly:

Tea came back, and as expected, our Hero had a cheerful smile :noteeth: that can beat all the Colgate and Pepsodent smiles of the world. He served us the cups and we had to believe that the right cups were served. :shaking: That was when we realized that IT HAPPENS NOT ONLY IN INDIA. :victory:

Its not over yet :smokesmile: . When he brought the cups after reheating, he also brought a cup of sugar and 3 spoons. I wondered why he brought 3 spoons :idontgetit: and X-man explained that it is to ensure that we do not take sugar with the same spoon after we used it to stir the sugar in our tea cups. And the 3rd spoon was to take sugar just in case we wanted to add more sugar in our tea (after using the first spoon!!!) :rotfl: . How thoughtful of our Hero to make sure we don’t have to mix our spoons when we are not sure if there is a mix up in our tea. :rotfl3:

After we were done with our starters and tea, Mr Hero came back again to clean our table and get it ready for our main course. While cleaning the table, he made sure that he collected all the sugar that was spilt on the table in the cup in which he served sugar :cry3: . We were almost sure that the sugar cup was going back into the kitchen only to come back again to some other table, with the spilt sugar collected in it :yes: . Another realization of IT HAPPENS NOT ONLY IN INDIA :victory: :victory:

[Disclaimer: The above story has no pun intended against the service in restaurants back home in India. Having been to a few overseas countries and having had the experience of eating in restaurants in each of these places, I have observed that the restaurants outside India always take care to ensure that customers do not get such doubts. But what happens inside the kitchen is still unknown to any of us. Even if the same thing were to happen in some other restaurant, the tea would have been served in a fresh set of cup n saucer, just to give you an illusion that you are being served a fresh cup of tea. The reason why I chose to share this experience was the sheer joy with which the Hero was doing his job. He was enjoying his work and was at his best when he was working. Despite what happened and despite still being not sure of who was served whose cup the second time, me and X-man would rate this service as the best service we had in any restaurant in UK]

Epilogue

We had a sumptuous dinner :slurp: at the restaurant and also had good fun watching T20 match that was going on that day as well as watching the happenings inside and outside the restaurant :cool2: . A final touch to end this experience - there was a shop outside the restaurant whose name board had the following words
“LAPTOP RERPAIR CENTR” This too happens NOT ONLY IN INDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:bluejump: :redjump: :boo: :victory: [/tscii:3df0ddc48f]

pavalamani pragasam
26th June 2009, 12:38 PM
A good amount of solace has been found from this story! No need at all to feel unnecessarily inferior as most of our countrymen do!!! :D

madhu
27th June 2009, 05:20 AM
Disclaimer: The above story has no pun intended against the service in restaurants back home in India. Having been to a few overseas countries and having had the experience of eating in restaurants in each of these places, I have observed that the restaurants outside India always take care to ensure that customers do not get such doubts. But what happens inside the kitchen is still unknown to any of us. Even if the same thing were to happen in some other restaurant, the tea would have been served in a fresh set of cup n saucer, just to give you an illusion that you are being served a fresh cup of tea. The reason why I chose to share this experience was the sheer joy with which the Hero was doing his job. He was enjoying his work and was at his best when he was working. Despite what happened and despite still being not sure of who was served whose cup the second time, me and X-man would rate this service as the best service we had in any restaurant in UK]

அது சரி..

எனக்கு சில நினைவுகள்..

coz ... I want to say "That happens not only outside India"...

Even at a very small hotel at "Thirumazhapadi" .. a small village in the banks of koLLidam, I had murugal dosai :slurp:) and just coz of the cleanliness and the behaviour my friends were overwhelmed and congratulated the staff. But they just smiled and said "Is it not our duty sir ? "

I am sure that even a five star hotel cant give such service.