PDA

View Full Version : Facebook and Twitter - What, Why, Who, When, How

NOV
26th May 2009, 11:58 AM
[tscii]
THE Wall Street Journal just sent out a warning to staff about the dangers of joining social networks on the Internet.
I wish someone had given me that warning a year ago. That was when a friend urged me to sign up for Facebook so I could swap messages with him.

I said: "But I can already swap messages with you. You sit next to me."

He said: "Ah, but you can use Facebook to tell me what books, movies and music you like."

I told him: "But you already know what books, movies and music I like."

He rolled his eyes, a good way to escape from a difficult question. Eve should have used it in Eden. Pilate could have used it in Jerusalem. I told my friend that social networks were a fad for brainless, idle, decadent people who wanted to waste their lives swapping trivia.

He replied: "You say that like it's a bad thing."

But there was no fighting it. Most of my friends would rather be tortured to death by vicious underground terrorist groups like Al Qaeda or the US Republican Party than be one minute late signing up for the latest craze.

So we signed up as Facebook friends. The next day a friend of his joined our little group, and then a friend of his friend, and then a friend of his friend's friend.

The following week, a small child at a school where I had given a talk asked to be added to my friend list. Who could refuse? He was so sweet. So I clicked yes. BIG mistake.

He promptly told the rest of his class. The next day nine of his friends joined the list. You can't say yes to one kid and no to the rest. So I gulped down my misgivings and clicked yes to all of them. The following day 18 more people from the school signed up to my list.

This was getting out of hand, so I hid from my computer for a couple of weeks, doing my work on exercise books in a café. This was also a mistake. When I logged on again, two weeks later, I had 82 people waiting in a queue to be signed up.

Several of them had bitter comments on their pages, such as "Why hasn't he approved my application? Am I not good enough?" (That was from someone who was insulted at having been kept waiting six hours.)

After apologetically approving the 82 people waiting, I found that I had unlocked the floodgates. The last time I looked, about a week ago, I had 756 "friends" on my list, mostly strangers, many of whom write in languages I don't understand: Chinese, Tagalog, Teenager and Pokemon.

I got out a calculator and worked out that at the current rate of growth, my Facebook friends list will encompass everyone in Asia in seven and half months, and the entire population of the world less than five months after that, INCLUDING newborn babies, who will sign up on their way from the womb to the receiving blanket.

How exclusive is a social group which has every person in the world as a member? No need to answer. Just roll your eyes.

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=15&art_id=82232&sid=23896325&con_type=1&d_str=20090518

groucho070
26th May 2009, 01:00 PM
Where was that piece from, NOV?

Why oblige all the time? Its an exclusive network, and you keep it to bare minimum.

I was reluctant first, but my brother who was using it, came back to me saying that there was this whole bunch of old schoolmates whom he managed to contact. In fact, thanks to Facebook we are having a reunion this weekend.

It has its good points and bad points I guess. Innum Tweeter-than touch pannala. Maybe when I get back to journalism, it might be useful.

P_R
26th May 2009, 01:17 PM
whom write in languages I don't understand: Chinese, Tagalog, Teenager and Pokemon. :lol:

Friend: dei nee orkut,facebook-la ellAm illaiyA dA
Me: illai
Friend : ('paththAmpasili')... yEn dA ange namma pazhaya school, college paanga niRaiya pEr irukkAnga.... pOna vaaram kooda xyz en profile-ai paaththuttu ping paNNiyirundhaan..... 5 varusham irukkum avanai paaththu... we connected back
Me: adhu naala dhaan

NOV
26th May 2009, 01:27 PM
Where was that piece from, NOV?got it thru mail Rakesh, no credits :oops:

I've got both orkut (totally familiar) and facebook (just started). 99% of my network are from Hub :lol2:

PR, I take it you owe your friends large sums of money. :shaking:

groucho070
26th May 2009, 01:38 PM
:lol: Ivaru ennamoo panni irukkaaru.

By the way, I did a search and found the original. Despite disagreeing, I thought it was well written, funny too:

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=15&art_id=82232&sid=23896325&con_type=1&d_str=20090518

NOV
26th May 2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks Rakesh, have added the source to the first post. :)

app_engine
26th May 2009, 10:52 PM
எங்க கன்சல்டிங் கம்பெனியிலிருந்தே facebook'ல சேர வச்சாங்க (அவங்களுக்கு ஒரு group இருக்கு).

மோசமொண்ணுமில்ல, அப்பப்போ பழைய டீம் மேட்ஸ் யாராச்சும் add பண்ண சொல்லுவாங்க, accept பண்ணுவேன். வேற activity ஒண்ணும் கிடையாது...பேருக்கு...

(எங்க ஆத்துக்காரும் கச்சேரிக்குப்போறார் மாதிரி)

Nerd
26th May 2009, 10:57 PM
I use both orkut and facebook but not for social networking purpose!

Orkut - communities. Some of them are like the hub but most of them are like rediff boards. Nalla timepass. I rarely post.

Facebook - Applications.

ajithfederer
26th May 2009, 11:02 PM
:rotfl:

:notworthy:

whom write in languages I don't understand: Chinese, Tagalog, Teenager and Pokemon. :lol:

Friend : ('paththAmpasili')... yEn dA ange namma pazhaya school, college paanga niRaiya pEr irukkAnga.... pOna vaaram kooda xyz en profile-ai paaththuttu ping paNNiyirundhaan..... 5 varusham irukkum avanai paaththu... we connected back
Me: adhu naala dhaan

Raikkonen
31st May 2009, 01:22 PM
registered on twitter on the weekend.. the first update i got was

"Mr.Kennedy has been released from WWE"

:banghead:

talk about luck.. sigh.. i hate twitter.

pavalamani pragasam
31st May 2009, 01:46 PM
:rotfl3: Never stopped being amused by this new trend of 'friends invitation'!!! In ibibo.com where I am a member for quite some time everyday I receive friends invitation. I have a look at the person's profile and if I don't find anything objectionable to my taste I accept. Now I have hundreds of friends whom I don't know a wee bit or care for anything!!! Very weird phenomenon!Just boosts my ego, all the same, to know somebody admires my blogs and my skill in word games- the only 2 interesting activities there.
Orkut is a little different, my children too said they were able to track friends and continue contact with them. My activities there are also limited to crossword community and a few word game communities.
After hearing people going agog about Facebook enrolled there and never returned there not knowing what to do there!!! :lol:

NOV
8th September 2009, 06:57 PM
If you are on Facebook and your colleagues or bosses are on your list, be careful of what you write there.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/collaboration/?p=379

http://frigginloon.wordpress.com/2009/08/15/employee-gets-sacked-over-facebook-comment/

NOV
28th October 2009, 01:49 PM
Led to death by Facebook sex killer

A SEX beast held by murder cops after leading them to a missing teenager's body posed as a boy of 16 to groom her on Facebook.
Pals told how Ashleigh Hall, 17 - dumped in a ditch - was befriended on the internet.

Trainee nanny Ashleigh, of Darlington, Co Durham, vanished on Sunday after going to meet a convicted sex offender aged 32.

A college chum said: "He told her he was 16."

Sourav
28th October 2009, 01:55 PM
:rotfl:

:notworthy:

Me: adhu naala dhaan :rotfl3:

chevy
5th November 2009, 11:27 PM
:rotfl3: Never stopped being amused by this new trend of 'friends invitation'!!! In ibibo.com where I am a member for quite some time everyday I receive friends invitation. I have a look at the person's profile and if I don't find anything objectionable to my taste I accept. Now I have hundreds of friends whom I don't know a wee bit or care for anything!!! Very weird phenomenon!Just boosts my ego, all the same, to know somebody admires my blogs and my skill in word games- the only 2 interesting activities there.
Orkut is a little different, my children too said they were able to track friends and continue contact with them. My activities there are also limited to crossword community and a few word game communities.
After hearing people going agog about Facebook enrolled there and never returned there not knowing what to do there!!! :lol:

CLAPS.
i like the way u put it ..

pavalamani pragasam
6th November 2009, 08:58 AM
:ty: