PDA

View Full Version : Kamal's Screenwriting Workshop

crajkumar_be
28th May 2009, 06:56 PM
Just read in Kapi corner that Complicateur has been selected for Thalaivar's screenwriting workshop based on his write up on Thevar Magan :clap:

PR,
Neenga endha padatha pathi ezhudhineenga?

Eq Mahanadhi pathi ezhudharadha sonnaar

P_R
28th May 2009, 07:00 PM
Compli synopsis-ai ingE pOdumAru thAzmaiyudan kEttukkoLgiROm.

Naan Adaptation (http://dagalti.blogspot.com/2009/04/adaptation.html)

equanimus
28th May 2009, 07:09 PM
Just read in Kapi corner that Complicateur has been selected for Thalaivar's screenwriting workshop based on his write up on Thevar Magan :clap:
Yes, congratulations to Kaampli bhAi.

ivaN++

complicateur
28th May 2009, 07:10 PM
Actually hardly worthy of posting PR. Just an accumulation of various things I have already posted before on the film. Nothing new there except the title: ThEvar Magan - The Onus of Birth. The rest of it is just 199 words on what I felt should be on the DVD cover blurb.

equanimus
28th May 2009, 07:11 PM
oru blog-post ezhudhap pOREn 'nu dhAnE sonnEn. :) adhAn original plan. mudinjA adhai idhula channel paNNalAmA 'nu yOsichchEn. mudinjudhu, apply paNRadhukkAna time-u.

sari, november 'la oNNu irukkAmE. appO pArkkalAm. ippOdhaikku, a preliminary post (http://movielane.blogspot.com/2009/05/behind-bars.html) on the blog.

complicateur
28th May 2009, 07:15 PM
sari, november 'la oNNu irukkAmE. appO pArkkalAm. ippOdhaikku, a preliminary post (http://movielane.blogspot.com/2009/05/behind-bars.html) on the blog.
Now there's an espettAtion stoker!

P_R
28th May 2009, 07:20 PM
ivaN++
character-Oda remba onRitteenga :lol2:

Plum
28th May 2009, 08:11 PM

PR,
Neenga endha padatha pathi ezhudhineenga?

Oh! Compli adhaan aaLai kaanalaiya konja naaLa? Congrats complicateur. Quite apt that "complicator" meets Kamal.

crajkumar_be
28th May 2009, 08:13 PM
Compli,
Anga poi edho nyabagathula "well.. ah.." nu arambichuraporeenga :lol2:

crajkumar_be
28th May 2009, 08:14 PM
"oru blog-post ezhudhap pOREn 'nu dhAnE sonnEn"
- Ahaa... Adutha murayavadhu miss pannadhel!

complicateur
28th May 2009, 08:18 PM
Plum,
nanRi Hai.

Compli,
Anga poi edho nyabagathula "well.. ah.." nu arambichuraporeenga :lol2:
No guarantees. Especially if someone decides to turn up with neem oil in their hair :lol2:

Anban
28th May 2009, 11:08 PM
10 mins-la "nachchunnnu" oru synopsis adichu apply pannen.. thalaivan(or his team) kavuthutaan... :(

jaiganes
29th May 2009, 05:02 AM
congrats compli anna!!
better luck next time anban thambi!!

groucho070
29th May 2009, 07:06 AM
Belated congratulations Compli...very proud that one of the hubbers got it. :thumbsup: :clap:

Anban
29th May 2009, 08:25 AM
some of my friends also selected :P

my gmail id (kamalfanatic) might have spoiled it for me..

HonestRaj
29th May 2009, 10:02 PM
10 mins-la "nachchunnnu" oru synopsis adichu apply pannen.. thalaivan(or his team) kavuthutaan... :(

neengalavadhu adhai inge post pannunga

complicateur
30th May 2009, 09:57 PM
Quite interesting couple of days @ the workshop. Caught On the Waterfront and Ghatak's Megha Dekha Taara. Got some nice insight into Satyajit Ray's genius through the opening scenes of Charulata and The Godfather was quite rightfully discussed.
Sidebar: Some interesting details about MaruthanAyagam were revealed!

P_R
31st May 2009, 10:33 PM
Quite interesting couple of days @ the workshop. Caught On the Waterfront and Ghatak's Megha Dekha Taara. Got some nice insight into Satyajit Ray's genius through the opening scenes of Charulata and The Godfather was quite rightfully discussed.
Sidebar: Some interesting details about MaruthanAyagam were revealed!

Very good. Very good.

1) Detail-A notes eduththukkunga
2) Non-disclosure Agreement edhuvum avasarappattu sign paNNidAdheenga

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
1st June 2009, 09:11 AM
2) Non-disclosure Agreement edhuvum avasarappattu sign paNNidAdheengadont worry, NDA thaan thothuduche!! UPO\A thaan jeyichiduche!!

Plum
1st June 2009, 10:00 AM
compli, Megha Dakhe Tara dhaan Arangatream's source of inspiration-nu padichaen engeyo - unamiaya? Or is it some other Ghatak movie?

complicateur
1st June 2009, 09:33 PM
Plum,
Kamal pre-emptively answered your question in the workshop. Ghatak's MDT was the base for V.A.Perumal's story that was converted to avaL oru thodarkathai not arangERRam.

complicateur
1st June 2009, 09:37 PM
1) Detail-A notes eduththukkunga
Definitely did when K.Hariharan ( a delightfully intellectual man with whom I had quite the revelatory conversation about Buddhism, Jainism, land ownership and the Bhakthi movement - what range!) spoke.

2) Non-disclosure Agreement edhuvum avasarappattu sign paNNidAdheenga
Sila items-lAm internal Non-disclosure agreement to be filed away for private conversation. Putting words to opinions somehow makes them far more punitive sometimes.

Plum
1st June 2009, 09:43 PM
Plum,
Kamal pre-emptively answered your question in the workshop. Ghatak's MDT was the base for V.A.Perumal's story that was converted to avaL oru thodarkathai not arangERRam.

oh - I asked because a bengasli guy made a movie with sort of similar theme with Rani Mukherjee recently. I was trying to connect the (non-existent) dots...as I do often.

crajkumar_be
3rd June 2009, 02:09 AM
"I asked because a bengasli guy made a movie with sort of similar theme with Rani Mukherjee recently"
Laaga Chunari Mein Daag -a?
soora mokkai nu kelvi patten...
Indha varisai padangal (Arangetram, AOTK) ellame conpees...

Girish11
3rd June 2009, 04:08 AM
"I asked because a bengasli guy made a movie with sort of similar theme with Rani Mukherjee recently"
Laaga Chunari Mein Daag -a?
soora mokkai nu kelvi patten...
Indha varisai padangal (Arangetram, AOTK) ellame conpees...

LCMD is mokkai for sure, seen it. I dont think he is referring to that movie though as LCMD is made by Yash Chopra camp and not by some bengalis

Girish11
3rd June 2009, 06:09 AM
Congrats Compli on being a part of the screenwriting workshop.
A great acheivement to be chosen out of the 16000 applicants :)

Video clips from the screen writing workshop inaugaration (6 clips)
HD (Silvaji TV)

http://sivajitv.com/Item.do?category=ct000002&id=it001472

Indiaglitz (5 clips- Except first clip, rest are repeated as above)

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/Events/18398.html

If above links dont work, try below links:

http://www.chennaionline.com/video/index.aspx?vid=1166&Title=Screen-writing%20Workshop%20By%20Kamal&Page=0

http://www.chennaionline.com/video/index.aspx?vid=1167&Title=%20Guests%20Speak%20@%20Kamal%27s%20Workshop&Page=0

http://www.chennaionline.com/video/index.aspx?vid=1168&Title=Kamal%20In%20An%20Interactive%20Session&Page=0

For links to more photo galleries, visit
http://www.allthingskamal.info/blog/2009/06/02/photos-videos-from-the-screenwriting-workshop/

Girish11
3rd June 2009, 06:10 AM
Some great images here :

http://chennai365.com/movies/kamal-haasan-expressions-gallery/

Please please can someone help me convert them to images
suitable for avatar and send to me.

crajkumar_be
3rd June 2009, 06:01 PM
Mikka nandri Girish

Anban
4th June 2009, 01:16 AM
Hello guys.. Today was another amazing day at the workshop and it ended with a bang.. Kamal gave us a surprise after the closing ceremony.. He asked us to wait and he played us the full length marudhnayagam trailer with original music.. Ming blowing it was.. Full a whistle and claps.. Chancailla trailer.. Wen it got over.. Everyone shouted once more and he played it again

says RAJA- a participant.

dell_gt
4th June 2009, 05:50 PM
Hello guys.. Today was another amazing day at the workshop and it ended with a bang.. Kamal gave us a surprise after the closing ceremony.. He asked us to wait and he played us the full length marudhnayagam trailer with original music.. Ming blowing it was.. Full a whistle and claps.. Chancailla trailer.. Wen it got over.. Everyone shouted once more and he played it again

wahh... hope we get the chance to...

P_R
4th June 2009, 05:59 PM
Compli camera-phone allowed dhaanE

Girish11
4th June 2009, 09:27 PM

Now I really really envy Compli :)

Welcome Bala

app_engine
5th June 2009, 02:55 AM
http://cinema.dinamalar.com/CISW_Inauguration.aspx

Is compli in this somewhere?

complicateur
5th June 2009, 07:24 AM
app,
I doubt it. I missed the opening ceremony as well as the second half of the last day because I had to travel.

Girish,
See, no reason to be envious.

PR,
Cameraphones were specifically restricted. :)

Plum
5th June 2009, 01:20 PM
compli, cameraphone dhaane restrict paNNanga. Unga eye-brain-camera-la shooting range matrum memory capacity neraiayave irukkume - ange capture and store paNNi, share pannunga.
PR sonna maadhiri, NDA agreementlam sign paNNama irunga. Because ellorum Equa maadhiri unga kitta appresenti-ua join paNNa mudiyadhu - inge sonna dhaan uNdu

Girish11
6th June 2009, 05:08 AM
app,
I doubt it. I missed the opening ceremony as well as the second half of the last day because I had to travel.

Girish,
See, no reason to be envious.

PR,
Cameraphones were specifically restricted. :)

It is a pity you missed the opending ceremony and the half of the
last day compli. I feel sorry.

One doubt, this screen writing workshop gives you guidelines
on creating a good screen play correct? In your case, do you
do the concept/script/screen play everything or use an existing
script and write the screen play?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
6th June 2009, 11:40 AM
http://www.sivajitv.com/events/Kamal-Haasan-Screen-Writing-Seminar-Ends.htm

Sir speaks about the workshop in last day, he speaks in tamil only, so araikurai gnaani too can understand this!

Girish11
7th June 2009, 07:49 AM
[tscii:552b66ab1d]Notes from the first Chennai International Screenwriting Workshop

Posted: 05 Jun 2009 10:18 PM PDT

Editor’s Note:
Chandrachoodan Gopalakrishnan aka ‘ravages’ needs no introduction to the Indian blog audience. He was fortunate to be part of the Chennai International Screenwriting Workshop and we are fortunate to have him share his experiences, as a guest blogger.

Hello folks,

So, I was one of the 250 people selected to attend the first Chennai International Screenwriting Workshop conducted by Kamal Haasan and IIT.

A 4-day workshop, followed by 2 days of seminars, to put it in Kamal’s words, are “the first baby steps” to find the next generation of screenwriters for the film industry.

Kamal Haasan assembled together a team of speakers — Anjum Rajabali, K Hariharan and Atul Tiwari — while contributing in some sessions himself.

Taking the brunt of the teaching/instructing work was Anjum Rajabali. Anjum is the head of the screenwriting department at FTII Pune and Whistling Woods, Mumbai. Anjum, for those who don’t know him, is the writer of Ghulam, Drohkaal (the film that later became Kurudhippunal) and Legend of Bhagat Singh. From setting up the premise, to developing the plot, laying out the structure and developing characters and characteristics, the workshop covered quite a bit of ground. But most of it was at a basic level, intended to give those who’ve never had to write before a good foundation. For me, it was ground I’d already covered but still there were some useful pointers.

Kamal, not that it surprised me, was articulate and intelligent. In one session, he talked to us about Hey Ram and his thought process in writing the film. While not always sticking to the point (Kamal has a tendency to meander, talk about various other things that strikes his fancy), he managed to give us all a clear idea of what kind of research a writer needs to undertake in writing for a film.

Anjum talked to us about premise, plot and structure, while Hariharan covered characterisation (with hilarious examples), timing and detailing. Atul Tiwari covered dialogues and chipped in with anecdotes during other sessions.

While the idea to conduct the workshop in Chennai is Kamal’s (similar workshops have been conducted in Bombay and Delhi), his maximum input was in the seminar where he brought some of the best Indian directors — K Balachander, Balu Mahendra, Shekhar Kapur, Rituparno Ghosh — and screenwriters from different parts of the world, to share their experiences with us.

But perhaps the biggest contribution Kamal made was as a learner himself. Unlike a few stars who’d make token appearances at events, Kamal spent the entire duration of the workshop, never missing a session, as attentive as the 250 of us.

On the final day, we all had our photographs taken with the workshop leaders - Kamal, Anjum, Hariharan and Atul. After which was the little surprise. The screening of a short trailer of Marudhanaayagam. A good end to the workshop.[/tscii:552b66ab1d]

Girish11
9th June 2009, 05:17 AM
[tscii:cbe5a129be]Vignettes from the workshop - 1

Posted: 07 Jun 2009 09:42 AM PDT

Author’s Note: These are an assimilation of opinions and observations made over the 5 days spent at the workshop. The piece and the ones to follow will be a pastiche, so my apologies to the readers.

The tea nearly escaped my nostrils as I struggled to stifle a chuckle. One of the volunteers had just requested all the participants to leave their cell phones at the registration desk and a passer-by in the corridor on hearing this did a double take, withdrew a Blackberry and an additional phone from his pockets and retraced his steps back to the front of the auditorium. Quite obviously my initial apprehension of Kamal Haasan’s involvement in the workshop being purely titular, was misplaced. So it came as much less of a surprise later to know that the man was involved in even details such as designing the logo of the workshop.

Ravages has already introduced and setup (pardon my newfound screenplay parlance) the major characters, so let me jump headfirst into character development. As the only pure screenwriting professional there, Anjum Rajabali carried the larger load when it came to the instructional material as well as the number bottles of water consumed. On the podium he was all emotion but never digressing from the central plot. The intensity he brought to the lectures was very indicative of where he would find his writing stimuli, in the internal dialectics of his characters. Professor K. Hariharan was far more clinical in his approach with prepared slides and pinpoint scene deconstruction. Over the course of the workshop I had the opportunity to discuss various topics with the man and every one left me at least a little more curious than when the conversation began (always the hallmark of a good conversation for me).

Source : www.allthingskamal.info[/tscii:cbe5a129be]