PDA

View Full Version : Influence of Michael Jackson in Tamil films / music

app_engine
26th June 2009, 08:47 PM
The king of pop is no more :-(

[html:57b50a2b35]
http://larryfire.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/thriller-michael-jackson.jpg
[/html:57b50a2b35]

His influence on music / dance / video graphics in Tamil (why, all Indian) movies has been remarkable during late 80's and early 90's.

The first number that comes to my mind is the Vani Jayaram song 'sorgaththin vAsal ingE' which was a thazhuval of 'billie jean'. Initially adopted by Bappi Lahiri for a Hindi song and borrowed by Shankar Ganesh later for this Thamizh number.

Hubbers should be able to recall 100's of such MJ influences in TF at this time when people around the world are saddened by his death (though his falling into controversies for the last many years was even sadder).

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
26th June 2009, 08:56 PM
very recent one shud be the yethi yethi song. any other actors duped / spoofed MJ on screen? i think vadivel did in some philim

app_engine
26th June 2009, 09:00 PM
'அமெரிக்கால மைக்கேல் ஜாக்சன் கூப்பிட்டாக, சப்பான்ல சாக்கி சான் கூப்பிட்டாக" - famous words by Gounder in karakAttakkAran, ridiculing Kovai SaraLa :-)

Nerd
26th June 2009, 09:02 PM
Michael Jackson thangachi - Singaravelan.

m_23_bayarea
26th June 2009, 09:08 PM
Well, wasn't Prabhu Deva compared big time with MJ in the mid 90s? There were even rumors that he was going to perform on the same stage with MJ, right? And a lot of his dance numbers seemed very inspired from MJ's steps also! :cry:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
26th June 2009, 09:11 PM
did prabhudeva dressup as Jackson in some song? i remotely remember some song...

btw, eventho all of us understand that he is such a great and too famous musician, most of us still has to listen to his earth-rocking number. heart feels for him :(

crajkumar_be
26th June 2009, 09:18 PM
"Metro Channel" Prabhu Deva song (Indhu?) - Original song title marandhu pochu

"They don't care about us"

"Yela Machi Machi" (anbe Sivam) - beats from "The Way You make me feel"

"Beat It" a small bit comes in one song in "Sarigamaopadhani" - Parthiban

crajkumar_be
26th June 2009, 09:19 PM
And the video of "Remember the time" has been copied in a few songs in India, both films and private albums

littlemaster1982
26th June 2009, 09:20 PM
A song from Dangerous is copied in Karthik starrer "Chinna Kannamma" (picturisation).

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
26th June 2009, 09:22 PM
cha, CR, unga observation ku eede illai!! too nuNukkam yaar :)

crajkumar_be
26th June 2009, 09:23 PM
A song from Dangerous is copied in Karthik starrer "Chinna Kannamma" (picturisation).

And the video of "Remember the time" has been copied in a few songs in India, both films and private albums

Raaja/Raani court. One dancer impresses Rani, Raaja beheads him (actually Chandramukhi also is slightly similar) MCT eppo vandhuchu? adhulayum idhu irukka?

littlemaster1982
26th June 2009, 09:28 PM

Raaja/Raani court. One dancer impresses Rani, Raaja beheads him (actually Chandramukhi also is slightly similar) MCT eppo vandhuchu? adhulayum idhu irukka?

I don't remember the beheading part. Chinna Kannamma song was completely ripped off from "Remember the time".

MCT was released in 1993. Chinna Kannamma-vum adhey time-ladhan vandhudhu.

crajkumar_be
26th June 2009, 09:32 PM
Actually yeah, the queen gestures for a "non-performer" to be beheaded, one is thrown to the lions etc.. and finally MJ performs, impresses the queen and then "dissolves"...

app_engine
26th June 2009, 09:32 PM
From "last song" thread :

I think "They don't care about us" is his most copied song in IFM

picturisation too......Boys - maaro maaro picturisation is ctrl-c, ctrl-v work of this song......andha oor building ellam enna paint color-o adhe color namma oorlayum adichhu vechhirupaaru shankar.....

"Athiradi Kaaran" (Sivaji) was a little bit "Jam"-ish..... (actually a wee bit of Jam and Dangerous)

yes.....even the prelude of girlfriend song in Boys resembles thriller a bit.....i would be lying if i say thalaivar was not influenced by MJ...... :)

MJ paattellam ketka ketka manasu heavy aagudhu :(

littlemaster1982
26th June 2009, 09:51 PM
Actually yeah, the queen gestures for a "non-performer" to be beheaded, one is thrown to the lions etc.. and finally MJ performs, impresses the queen and then "dissolves"...

:exactly:

jaaze
26th June 2009, 09:55 PM
did prabhudeva dressup as Jackson in some song? i remotely remember some song...

btw, eventho all of us understand that he is such a great and too famous musician, most of us still has to listen to his earth-rocking number. heart feels for him :(Chikku Pukku Rayile song is somewhere close I guess :)

jaaze
26th June 2009, 09:56 PM
Kathal Yaanai from Anniyan and Athiradi from Sivaji have light tinges of MJ songs

jaiganes
26th June 2009, 10:24 PM
Kalaignar's nyaaya tharasu had a number 'vennila' inspired heavily by MJ's songs (the way u make me feel and others) Music Dir was Shankar Ganesh. offcourse glass breaking sound and other pop effects were liberally used all across.

app_engine
27th June 2009, 12:03 AM
ARR on MJ's demise :
http://www.chennaionline.com/film/news/June09/67My-moments-with-Michael-Jackson-A-R-Rahman.aspx

crajkumar_be
27th June 2009, 02:14 AM
"Metro Channel" Prabhu Deva song (Indhu?) - Original song title marandhu pochu

Why You Wanna Trip On Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pafwe6JpW6A&feature=related)
Prelude, beats lifted

crajkumar_be
27th June 2009, 02:19 AM
One thing about listening to MJ songs those days (most English songs those days, for that matter) was singing along without knowing the lyrics. Namakku ketta sounda appadiye substitute panna vendiyadhu... for example "Annie are you ok?" (in Smooth Criminal) became "Anybody walking?"...

MrIndia
27th June 2009, 02:22 AM
enna mass enna fan following.. wish he didnt have those controversies.

he lived a life which is mostly a dream for many of us.

RIP M Jackson.

app_engine
27th June 2009, 02:24 AM
One thing about listening to MJ songs those days (most English songs those days, for that matter) was singing along without knowing the lyrics. Namakku ketta sounda appadiye substitute panna vendiyadhu... for example "Annie are you ok?" (in Smooth Criminal) became "Anybody walking?"...

:-)

Because they were so difficult to decipher (not just those days, some of them even nowadays for me) I used to always search for cassettes that had lyrics printed:-)

After all I recognized that cassettes do have lyrics based on my first discovery with the first ever MJ cassette that I got.

m_23_bayarea
27th June 2009, 02:28 AM

:-)

Because they were so difficult to decipher (not just those days, some of them even nowadays for me) I used to always search for cassettes that had lyrics printed:-)

After all I recognized that cassettes do have lyrics based on my first discovery with the first ever MJ cassette that I got.

Very true! Another unique thing abt his songs was that, he always sang them at the highest pitch possible. I don't think I have heard any singer sing so high though! 8-)

crajkumar_be
27th June 2009, 02:39 AM
Because they were so difficult to decipher (not just those days, some of them even nowadays for me)
When i and my brother used to play "Bad" at home, my mother used to ask us "Enna da ivan Ambe Ambe (Ambal) ngaraan?" for "I'm bad, i;m bad"...

crajkumar_be
27th June 2009, 02:42 AM
Very true! Another unique thing abt his songs was that, he always sang them at the highest pitch possible. I don't think I have heard any singer sing so high though! 8-)
Absolutely, matravanga paadna comedy aidum. Like Bee Gees sounding sissy ("Stayin Alive", yuck!)

m_23_bayarea
27th June 2009, 02:43 AM
Absolutely, matravanga paadna comedy aidum. Like Bee Gees sounding sissy ("Stayin Alive", yuck!)

When Weird Al wanted to be the MJ spoof for a while, it seems like MJ was extremely flattered that he was going to be spoofed. I'm not sure if Weird Al could replicate the same pitch in those spoofs though! :?

mexicomeat
27th June 2009, 05:19 AM
"Vennilla ennodu vandu aada vaa" song had the opening beats inspired from MJs.

MrIndia
27th June 2009, 05:49 AM
deva kushi-la aniyaam...

mottu vondru malarndhira marukum..

copy adichadhu koda thappu illa.. aana doom dooom.. vaartha add pannirupaaru paarunga.. ey appa... :lol:

Roshan
27th June 2009, 06:06 AM
Deva again - en manathai koLLai adithavaLE - in Kalloori Vaasal (?)

Kalyasi
27th June 2009, 07:23 AM
Vaa Enrdrathu Ulagam Ulagam Naan mannile Vanthen from Parthen Rasithen

Aasa Athigam Vechu from Marupadiyum!!

Benny Lava
27th June 2009, 07:57 AM

:exactly:

I think this video was copied in Made in India song by Alisha... How Ironically titled! :banghead:

MADDY
27th June 2009, 08:07 AM
thalaivar's Vande Mataram picturisation / costume resemble MJ's earth song a lot.........also, as someone put in another thread, ARR's landmark composition chandralekha(thiruda thiruda) was inspired from MJ's dangerous......ofcourse, thalaivar used references of beethoven's 9th symphony to make it sound very different.....

looking back, i think without MJ and his influence, ARRahman could have, could have been a failure........he sort of prepared india for rahman......atleast for me, the craving for 16 tracks and full blown synthesiser music was tapped on by MJ.......and when rahman provided me exactly that, i just sank to become a slave......i remember my uncle raving abt MJ's recording style of doing the recording for singers,instruements, bits and pieces one by one used to awe me......rahman brought exactly the same trend here as well....As CR pointed out, MJ paattula lyrics ennannu theriyamale paattu rasippom.......isnt rahman doing the same? infact, the very concept of "enjoy the music irrespective of lyrics" must be ingrained in most MJ's Indian fans including rahman....... :)

jaaze
27th June 2009, 08:57 AM
deva kushi-la aniyaam...

copy adichadhu koda thappu illa.. aana doom dooom.. vaartha add pannirupaaru paarunga.. ey appa... :lol:what is the original song btw? :ashamed:

jaaze
27th June 2009, 09:00 AM
Kuselan - Om Zaarare opening frames are also entirely copied from an MJ song picturisation.

crajkumar_be
28th June 2009, 01:03 AM
deva kushi-la aniyaam...

copy adichadhu koda thappu illa.. aana doom dooom.. vaartha add pannirupaaru paarunga.. ey appa... :lol:what is the original song btw? :ashamed:
"Why you wanna trip on me" - which incidentally Deva had already used for "Metro Channel"...

crajkumar_be
28th June 2009, 01:53 AM
S.J Suryah edho oru paatula "Black or White" getup la varuvaaru...

crajkumar_be
28th June 2009, 03:33 AM
http://hawkeyeview.blogspot.com/2005/06/michael-jackson.html

http://hawkeyeview.blogspot.com/2009/06/moonwalk.html

Hulkster
28th June 2009, 07:20 AM
S.J Suryah edho oru paatula "Black or White" getup la varuvaaru...

Ah Aah

Vivasaayi
28th June 2009, 08:32 AM
jeans theme music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VrEx6QURcA

will u be there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtfyHlX_srg&feature=related

very similar both songs are..

jaaze
28th June 2009, 09:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtfyHlX_srg&feature=related

very similar both songs are..Deva had used this song for some movie starring Ajith

app_engine
28th June 2009, 10:55 AM
ARR's landmark composition chandralekha(thiruda thiruda) was inspired from MJ's dangerous......

I used to feel that 'konjum nilavu' had influences of 'smooth criminal' of "Bad" album...there may be another track from dangerous of similar genre as well

raaja_rules
13th July 2009, 02:03 AM
I used to feel that 'konjum nilavu' had influences of 'smooth criminal' of "Bad" album...there may be another track from dangerous of similar genre as well

I reckon that you would be talking about the song "Who Is It" {I gave her money} from Dangerous. It's lead vocal melody has been heavily inspired for the song "Konjam Nilavu".

raaja_rules
13th July 2009, 02:14 AM
The hard rock song "Dirty Diana" was later added to the album "Bad" and its 2nd interlude with cello and programmed rhythm was reused in the song "Puthu Vellai Mazhai" from Roja.

Cello for the track - Puthu Vellai Mazhai was played by V R Sekar who is son of Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan.

ajaybaskar
13th July 2009, 06:32 AM
HJ used a bit of MJ's "Ghost" in his "Adithadi Appaththa" (Samurai).

Benny Lava
13th July 2009, 08:17 AM
its 2nd interlude with cello and programmed rhythm was reused in the song "Puthu Vellai Mazhai" from Roja.

amaam sir, andha rhythm'a Michael Jackson kitta solli kadan vaangi Roja la reuse pannaanga :lol2:

poi sonnaalum porundhura madhiri sollungapa :lol:

MADDY
13th July 2009, 12:21 PM
its 2nd interlude with cello and programmed rhythm was reused in the song "Puthu Vellai Mazhai" from Roja.

amaam sir, andha rhythm'a Michael Jackson kitta solli kadan vaangi Roja la reuse pannaanga :lol2:

poi sonnaalum porundhura madhiri sollungapa :lol:

indha post ellam response varanum-ngrathukkaaga pottadhu..... :P infact, i'm getting doubt whether this whole thread was opened keeping thalaivar in mind.... :?

vikatan
13th July 2009, 01:12 PM
The feel and beat of "Nilavai Kondu Vaa" from Vaali is very heavily inspired from "They dont really care about us". It is not a exact photocopy though.

Shakthiprabha
13th July 2009, 01:14 PM
Very informative thread !
Would someone list the songs mentioned so far and post it in the title post. That would be very helpful. Thanks.

vikatan
13th July 2009, 01:21 PM
Song "Maya Matchindra" picturized in film Indian is a rip off from " Remember the time ".
The one which had Eddie Murphy sharing video space with MJ.

vikatan
13th July 2009, 01:26 PM
"Main Koi Aisa Geet Gaaon" from Yes Boss is inspired from "The way you make me feel".

I think going by the posts here , this seems to be the most copied song of MJ.

vikatan
13th July 2009, 01:44 PM
Regarding "Maya Matchindra", I was referring only to the picturization and the not the music. Just to make myself clear.