PDA

View Full Version : The passing away of music legend DK Pattammal

NOV
16th July 2009, 06:44 PM
[html:6be8a05223]
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/252/14881725.jpg
[/html:6be8a05223]

I heard on the news that yonder day singer and grandmother of Nithyasree, DK Pattamal passed away today. She just celebrated her birthday on July 5. With her passing away, the Trinity of Carnatic classical music, together with M.S. Subbulakshmi and M.L. Vasantha Kumari are no more with us.

May her soul rest in peace.

Shakthiprabha
16th July 2009, 06:45 PM
:bow: :( :(

Nithyashree's grand mom.

My deep respects to DKP and condolences to nithyashree and her family.

NOV
16th July 2009, 06:50 PM
[tscii:2910a7b2a8]
Chennai, Thursday 16 July 2009: Veteran vocalist D K Pattammal died in Chennai this afternoon after a brief illness. She was 90. She is survived by two sons. Popular vocalist Nityashree Mahadevan is her grand daughter.

Pattammal was born in an orthodox Brahmin family in Kancheepuram. Her father, Damal Krishnaswamy Dikshithar, was deeply interested in music, while her mother, Kanthimathi (Rajammal), was a talented singer.

Pattammal received no formal training. As a child, she would sit through the concerts and imitate the musicians on returning home. She would also sing simple devotional hymns and songs that her father had taught her.

She established a reputation as an authority on the compositions of Muthuswami Dikshitar. In addition to Dikshithar compositions, Pattammal has also popularised many compositions of prominent composers like Papanasam Sivan.

Papanasam Sivan introduced Pattammal to singing for films. Although she received many offers to sing for films, she only accepted those which involved the singing of devotional or patriotic songs, and declined offers involving romantic songs. The first film Pattammal sang in was Thyaga Bhoomi. Later, she sang in other films including Naam Iruvar. She has popularised several patriotic compositions of Subramania Bharathiyar.

The ace vocalist received several awards and titles throughout her career. Most notably these include the title ‘Gana Saraswathi’ bestowed on her by the musician Tiger Varadachariar, the Sangeetha Sagara Ratna title, the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1961, the Sangeetha Kalanidhi (considered the highest accolade in Carnatic music) in 1970, the Padma Bhushan from the Government of India in 1971, and the Padma Vibhushan, India’s second-highest civilian honor, in 1998. Pattammal was also elected Fellow of Sangeet Natak Akademi in 1992.
http://www.asianetindia.com/news/carnatic-vocalist-dk-pattammal-passes_60179.html[/tscii:2910a7b2a8]

s ramaswamy
16th July 2009, 11:02 PM
Hi,

The last of the golden trio of female carnatic music jambhavans is no more. Perhaps you can add NCV also in this list but unfortunately she died young.

Perhaps I would like to add only one tidbit about DKP. She was the only female musician for whom the greatest of all mridangam artists, Palghat Mani Iyer, chose to play as accompanying artist as he felt she would not miss her talams when he played his mridangam. Later the two artists became relatives too through marriage of their respective off-springs, if I'm not mistaken.

May DKP's soul rest in peace.

app_engine
16th July 2009, 11:38 PM
Sad news :-(

Heartfelt condolences to her family members!

Sudhaama
16th July 2009, 11:41 PM
. Irrepairable Loss to the Music World.!

The Great Musician Ms. D.K.Pattammal is an IMMORTAL SOUL...

..ever-living in the Green memories of Sangeetha Rasikas.!

Her Unique factors:---

She came to Lime-light... during the Congress Sathyagraha days. During those Mikeless initial days...

...Ms. K.B.Sundarambal and D.K. Pattammal were the rare finds... possessing high throated LOUD Musical- Voice...

...accessible even to the remotest amongst the audience.

So to gather the Crowd and keep them engaged until the Speakers arrive at the Dais...

..as well as to popularise the Patriotic Songs.. especially of Bharathi...

..and to awaken the National Spirit in the minds of the enslaved Indians...

....D.K.Pattammal was a God-given gift for Tamilians.

In fact Bharathiyar Songs became more popular amongst the People... just by hearing her Songs in the Congress Public meetings.

Remarkably her voice much enticing and untiring.

(2) Her speciality is the CLEAR PRONUNCIATION of each and every letter of the Song Sahithya...

..such that even a Musical student child... can easily write down the sahithya or take dictation without tension.

(3) She used to persstently maintain the the RICH CLASSICAL VALUES of Music... not only in the Keerthanas...

...but also even in the Light Songs.

(4) D.K.P's had her own unique Bani of singing in low scale... rather 1st and 2nd Kalam Thala speed only...

..which sort of uniqueness apart from other factors of Richness has earned a vast crowd exclusive Rasikas for her... which easilly switched over to her popular student.. her Grand daughter Nithyasree Mahadevan.

(5) D.K.Pattammaal's Rasikas are more impressed by her high calibre of venerable propensities...

...like Non-egoistic Simplicity, Affection towards all, and constant Cheer.

D.K.Pattammal eternally lives in her unforgettablly rich Music

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/carnatic_vocal/s/artist.4/

May D.K.Pattammaal's Soul rest in Peace.!!!

RAGHAVENDRA
16th July 2009, 11:48 PM
தீராத விளையாட்டுப் பிள்ளை பாடலின் மூலம் தமிழ் கூறும் நல்லுலகில் தனியிடத்தைப் பிடித்த பட்டம்மாள் அவர்களின் மறைவு இசை ரசிகர்களுக்கு ஒரு பேரிழப்பாகும். தன் இறுதி மூச்சு உள்ள வரைக்கும் பக்தி மற்றும் தேச பக்திப் பாடல்களை மட்டும் பாடி தன் கொள்கையில் உறுதியாயிருந்த டி.கே.பட்டம்மாளை இழந்து வாடும் அவரது குடும்பத்தினருக்கு மன வலிமை யளிக்கவும், பட்டம்மாளின் ஆன்மா சாந்தியடையவும் இறைவனை வேண்டுவோம்.
ராகவேந்திரன்

bingleguy
17th July 2009, 12:00 AM
Let her soul rest in Peace ! :(

rajeshkrv
17th July 2009, 07:41 AM
Rest in Peace

Sureshs65
17th July 2009, 09:24 AM
A giant of a musician, whose singing was seeped in classicism. Extraordinary dedication and humility towards her art. We are lucky that we had her in our midst. May her soul rest in peace.

Wibha
17th July 2009, 11:09 AM
This is Depressing :cry:

RIP

viraajan
17th July 2009, 11:32 AM
RIP :cry:

Hulkster
17th July 2009, 12:22 PM
May her soul rest in peace

NOV
17th July 2009, 01:22 PM
[tscii:073da92f47]
One of those rare breed of artists
Meera Srinivasan

CHENNAI: She was one of those rare breed of artists who are not affected by their fame and celebrity status. When disciples and admirers recalled their association with legendary musician D.K. Pattammal, who passed away on Thursday, they spoke of her inimitable warmth, simplicity and accessibility.

Vocalist Aruna Sairam said artists such as Smt. Pattammal were eternal. “Her music was both, technically rich and emotionally deep. In her voice, the power of poetry or lyrical content would hit you, piercing your heart.”

Dancer Vyjayanthimala Bali said she cherished her association with the musician. “I have learnt a lot from her. Every time I visited her, she would ask me to sing ‘Nannu vidichi…’ in Reetigowlai. She is one of the most adorable persons who I have met, who would stump me with her affection.”

Smt. Pattammal shared a special bond with her younger brother, the late musician D.K. Jayaraman, with whom she performed for many years. Recalling his guru’s immense fondness for her, vocalist N. Vijay Siva said: “Sometimes he would be taking class, looking very troubled. In five minutes, he would rush to the phone, call his sister and ask, “Patta, kochuntiya?” (Did you get angry?). They would have had a small fight, but he would not be able to concentrate on classes until he spoke to her and made sure she was not angry.”

On her music, Mr. Vijay Siva said she could give mike-less concerts effortlessly. “Hers was such a brilliant mind. Her rich tone would just envelope the auditorium and leave the audience mesmerised.”

Extremely generous

Vocalist Charumathi Ramachandran described her “a great guru” who was extremely generous.

Smt. Pattammal was devoted to tradition, but never hesitated to embrace or appreciate new ideas.

Theatre person and actor Y.Gee. Mahendra had once taken her to see the film ‘Shankarabharanam’. “She was so genuine with her praise…she told me that the film had achieved what Carnatic musicians had not - it took the art to the masses,” he said.

It was not just Smt. Pattammal, the musician, who inspires awe. As a person, she was very loving and compassionate.

Mangala Krishnan, a close associate of the family, had once come visiting from Singapore. After a lovely meal at their house, she told Smt. Pattammal that she loved the ‘mavudu’ (mango pickle) served. Smt. Pattammal immediately packed some for her in a little bottle. But, in their excitement, the guests left the bottle behind.

“We went to the airport and I was about to clear customs, when the officer at the counter told me that a VIP lady had come to see me. I had no clue, but went to check. It was Pattammal standing there, holding the bottle and grinning. ‘You liked it so much and you forgot to take it. I am so glad I reached here on time,’ she said like a child.”

http://www.hindu.com/2009/07/17/stories/2009071759910900.htm[/tscii:073da92f47]

Shakthiprabha
17th July 2009, 01:30 PM
[tscii:a1987e6b57]
Mangala Krishnan, a close associate of the family, had once come visiting from Singapore. After a lovely meal at their house, she told Smt. Pattammal that she loved the ‘mavudu’ (mango pickle) served. Smt. Pattammal immediately packed some for her in a little bottle. But, in their excitement, the guests left the bottle behind.

“We went to the airport and I was about to clear customs, when the officer at the counter told me that a VIP lady had come to see me. I had no clue, but went to check. It was Pattammal standing there, holding the bottle and grinning. ‘You liked it so much and you forgot to take it. I am so glad I reached here on time,’ she said like a child.”

:bow: small gestures always travel big way :bow: [/tscii:a1987e6b57]

Sureshs65
19th July 2009, 12:37 AM
My humble tribute to this great legend:

http://sureshs65music.blogspot.com

S.Suresh

AV
19th July 2009, 09:57 PM
I browsed tfmpage after a long gap, and just saw the shocking news. Indeed, the three goddesses Carnatic music are now no more with us.

What saddens me even further is the insufficient coverage given in national newspapers about the passing away of a legend as great as D K Pattammal. Compare this to the cloying and sometimes irrelevant articles about Michael Jackson that we are forced to read everyday. Of course, MJ does deserve rich tributes, but when there is an endless list of articles discussing several irrelevant details of his life, surely we could have been more generous in our tributes to DKP, who also contributed immensely to our freedom movement, besides having been such a wonderful artist!

NOV
20th July 2009, 08:29 AM
[html:92a4d16627]
http://www.sawf.org/newedit/edit01142002/dkpdkj.jpg
[/html:92a4d16627]
D. K. Pattammal with D. K. Jayaraman

'Enough if I get 100 discerning listeners'

D Ram Raj /
Saturday, July 18, 2009

Chennai: DK Pattammal, or Patta, as she was known as a child prodigy, was catapulted into a special league after singing on radio at the age of 10. Pattammal (christened Alamelu) had no formal training in classical music since it was a taboo for Brahmin girls to perform before audiences then. Therefore, Patta would sit through concerts, memorise the songs and render them on returning home.

Patta followed up her radio concert in 1929 with her first public concert three years later at Madras Rasika Ranjani Sabha. There was no stopping DKP thereafter, as she formed a special trinity with contemporaries MS Subbulakshmi and ML Vasanthakumari in demolishing many myths concerned with Carnatic form of music.

Though initially reluctant to allow her to sing before audiences, her father Damal Krishnaswamy Dikshithar subsequently allowed Patta to pursue her "devotional interest in music" and the family shifted to Chennai from Kancheepuram, where she was born. Pattammal, who learnt by listening to great stalwarts of her time, had in an interview explained how the turning point of her life came when she was eight years old. She won the first prize at a competition conducted by C Subramanya Pillai (popularly known as Naina Pillai), who used to host Thyagaraja festivals in Kancheepuram every year. The orthodox Brahmin girl rose to become one of the icons of Carnatic music by scaling many bastions, which in those times were considered to be exclusive male prerogative.

"I got the first prize for singing Raksha Bettare in Bhairavi. Naina Pillai was impressed and that was a real turning point in my life," she had said.

Her melodious voice inculcated a strong mastery over nuances of Carnatic music and she left behind a lasting legacy by her renditions of Muthuswami compositions by Muthuswami Dikshitar, Subramanya Bharati and Papanasam Sivan. A strict disciplinarian, she never allowed any form of dilution in order to attract the masses. "It is enough if I get ahundred discerning listeners. I will not lower my standards to reach out to a thousand or more," she had once remarked. Her rendering of intricate pallavis with consummate ease earned her the sobriquet of "Pallavi Pattammal".

Pattammal performed throughout India and around the world, including the US, Canada, France, Germany, Switzerland and Sri Lanka. She was conferred the Padma Vibhushan in 1998 and the Padma Bhushan in 1971.

raagadevan
31st July 2009, 10:32 PM
Musical legacy

Carnatic vocalist Nithyasree Mahadevan reminisces about how her grandmother D.K. Pattammal influenced her career.

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/07/31/stories/2009073151190200.htm