PDA

View Full Version : Longest/Complex tunes of ARR

SoftSword
22nd July 2009, 07:36 PM
Please discuss about the complex and longest tunes by ARR.
This could be a pallavi/ charanam/ interlude etc..,

ajaybaskar
22nd July 2009, 08:42 PM
Udhaya Udhaya is my pick. It has lots of twists and turns....

SoftSword
22nd July 2009, 10:29 PM
for now, i can remember "Munbe Va"...
the prelude... the charanam... impressed big time...

A.ANAND
23rd July 2009, 05:46 AM
miss u da song.very very complex tune.tune kulla lyric sariya mach aagala!weird!

SoftSword
23rd July 2009, 11:37 AM
miss u da song.very very complex tune.tune kulla lyric sariya mach aagala!weird!

i was wondering how he came up with such a beautiful tune for such verses... and its awesome...
as it sounds different it may sound weird...
but sariya match aagala'nu solradhu over...

in that case it would not come out of Panchathan.

music man
23rd July 2009, 03:13 PM
Another one is "Vaa Nila" from "Kadhal Virus". A great jazz/blues style number from our wizard....

Its an another complex song....

music man
23rd July 2009, 03:16 PM
In terms of longest tune, the one that immediately comes to our mind is the recent "Maula Maula" from Delhi 6...

Benny Lava
24th July 2009, 11:43 AM
Post lude of Rehna tu. Yesterday night while I was listening to it, I was telling myself that this must be the loveliest postlude in IFM history. What a bliss!!

And it is trademark Rahman, no short/long repeating phrases or patterns.. the tune just keeps meandering, touching some beautiful notes here and there... slowly it blossoms into a lovely progression and at the end you just realize it doesn't get any better than this. A minute's solo to die for! :bow:

SoftSword
24th July 2009, 12:39 PM
Post lude of Rehna tu. Yesterday night while I was listening to it, I was telling myself that this must be the loveliest postlude in IFM history. What a bliss!!

And it is trademark Rahman, no short/long repeating phrases or patterns.. the tune just keeps meandering, touching some beautiful notes here and there... slowly it blossoms into a lovely progression and at the end you just realize it doesn't get any better than this. A minute's solo to die for! :bow:

:pinch:

even i was listening to it last nite...
wanted to post if here, but u beaten me... :)

wonderful postlude... continuum :notworthy:

and it ends as sweet as how the Leo Coffee tune ends.

crajkumar_be
24th July 2009, 07:28 PM
:thumbsup:

"Nenjamellam Kaadhal" (Hindi version, can't stand Sujatha's voice): 2nd interlude

Munbe Va prelude

Rehna Tu postlude

Dil Gira Dafatan

jaaze
24th July 2009, 07:53 PM
Kaadhal Illamal - 8 min+ version: both long and very complex

Dhandiya Aatam - 8 min

Which is the longest song of ARR so far?

I know Maula. In tamil, is it either of the above? Or is the Hindi version of Kadhal Illamal in Taal longer than Maula? :?

Benny Lava
24th July 2009, 08:06 PM
Mosquito track from connections is easily the longest clocking 9 mins. 3 other tracks from the same album are also quite long (2 Silent invocations n mann chand re).

In tamil, Duet album has two long songs Anjali and mettu podu. Both are around 8 mins long. I dont think he has surpassed those two in any of the recent albums.

Funny, some genius in TFMPage long back said ARR is just a jingles composer who strings together jingles, that he still doesnt know how to conjure a full fledged song. Aana unmai ennana song making la thalaivar left right'nu ella edathulayum pugundhu vilayaditaaru... I dont think any one in TFM right now has that much courage/capability to compose long songs :cool:

Benny Lava
24th July 2009, 08:09 PM
:thumbsup:

"Nenjamellam Kaadhal" (Hindi version, can't stand Sujatha's voice): 2nd interlude

Munbe Va prelude

Rehna Tu postlude

Dil Gira Dafatan

Coming to speak of Post ludes one cannot forget Lukka chuppi, Radha kaise na jale, yakkai thiri yetsetra yetsetra.. thalaivar has this knack of finishing off the songs on a high! But I guess these are not what we are discussing here in this thread. Lovely topic though!

jaaze
24th July 2009, 08:11 PM
So I can take it that one of Duet's songs is the longest in Tamil..

What about Hindi (not including connections album, but mainstream ones) ?

Any song broke Taal's record?

jaaze
24th July 2009, 08:12 PM
I love the way Yedho Yedho from E20u18 ends.. Awesome :musicsmile: :bow:

Benny Lava
24th July 2009, 08:16 PM
I guess it has to be Arziyan in Hindi. It is 8:41 mins.

Ishq bina is 8:07 in comparison.

Looking at the higher running length of his Hindi songs one can easily understand the kind of creative freedom he enjoys in HFM. I feel it is ironic :?

Nerd
24th July 2009, 08:21 PM
Naalai ulagam is close to 8 minutes right! What about athisiya thirumaNam from paarththaalE paravasam? Close to 20 mins in the film, not sure about the CD.

I love the much maligned sengaaththE from Taj Mahal. Complex and very unconventional tune.

crajkumar_be
24th July 2009, 08:23 PM
But I guess these are not what we are discussing here in this thread. Lovely topic though!
Naanum adhaan nenachen :oops: but ok, adhuvum part of the song dhaane...

And yeah, Yaakkai Thiri is, well, Yaakkai Thiri :)

Benny Lava
24th July 2009, 08:28 PM
What about athisiya thirumaNam from paarththaalE paravasam? Close to 20 mins in the film, not sure about the CD. Good pick Nerd. I never made any sense of that song consequently didnt listen to it much. PP is one album which I havent visited much. Azhagey sugama from the same film was also long?

I love the much maligned sengaaththE from Taj Mahal. Complex and very unconventional tune.Yeah! :thumbsup: .. Leads me to "Vidai kodu engal naadey"

jaaze
24th July 2009, 08:31 PM
Film not counted :twisted: But it is intermittent right, Nerd?

In The CD ofcourse it can't be that long..

SoftSword
24th July 2009, 08:32 PM
Funny, some genius in TFMPage long back said ARR is just a jingles composer who strings together jingles, that he still doesnt know how to conjure a full fledged song. Aana unmai ennana song making la thalaivar left right'nu ella edathulayum pugundhu vilayaditaaru... I dont think any one in TFM right now has that much courage/capability to compose long songs :cool:

before ARR i remember most of the songs were less than 4 min or around 4...

ARR entered and started hitting 6's..... all over the park!!

SoftSword
24th July 2009, 08:33 PM
I love the way Yedho Yedho from E20u18 ends.. Awesome :musicsmile: :bow:

and did anyone observe the connection betweem yedho yedho onru & Kaise mujhe from gajini...??

jaaze
24th July 2009, 08:34 PM
Most metal albums in Eng easily hit the 7 mark

Any other MD before ARR did songs as long as 7 min? (pls don't quote some 40's/50's movies)

Benny Lava
24th July 2009, 08:35 PM
I will be interested to know what was the longest from other MDs from the time of KVM, MSV etc.,

Thalapathy has two 7 minute songs (Sundari & Rakkamma)

Yuvan has couple of long songs in KK (around 6:30 mins) but both are copied ones. My database is very limited outside ARR IR sphere :oops:

Nerd
24th July 2009, 08:36 PM
Film not counted :twisted: But it is intermittent right, Nerd?

In The CD ofcourse it can't be that long..
I did not get PP CD/Casette. But in the film the song plays continously for 20 mins, throughout the climax IIRC. Whenever there was some dialogue, the volume of the song went down :?

jaaze
24th July 2009, 08:39 PM
Yes I remember too, the climax. I think in the CD was just 6 mins..

I remember most of the time the part "ithuthaan uchakkattam" was on loop.. So I guess they have just been looping that part intermittenlly with the rest of the song.. :?

Benny Lava
24th July 2009, 08:39 PM
Most metal albums in Eng easily hit the 7 mark

Metal? 7 minutes? :lol2: Ask CR about Pink floyd. You get tracks that almost touch 30 mins mark (Echoes& Atom heart mother)

jaaze
24th July 2009, 08:41 PM
You get tracks that almost touch 30 mins mark (Echoes& Atom heart mother)One can only wish ARR could experiment non-film Tamil songs this way..

But connections was a good start :)

Benny Lava
24th July 2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah.. I also wish like that. You can see that when he gets a non-commercial oppurtunity like Connections he readily stumbles into making long songs. Silent invocations A,B & C could be easily be one long song like Shine on you crazy diamond. In Carnatic kutcheris artists are known to perform a single song for more than an hour or so (I presume those are one off cases :? ).

littlemaster1982
24th July 2009, 08:52 PM
I guess it has to be Arziyan in Hindi. It is 8:41 mins.

Ishq bina is 8:07 in comparison.

Looking at the higher running length of his Hindi songs one can easily understand the kind of creative freedom he enjoys in HFM. I feel it is ironic :?

Oh Saiyai Ye - Daud clocks 8:57. Not a big hit, but one of my favorites. The song is kind of wierd too.

MADDY
25th July 2009, 06:59 PM
Ishq ada hai - female version - second-kku second scale change aaitte irukkum..... :thumbsup:

end of second charanam in tu muskura - the aalap - wat a counterpoint :D

charanams in na shiqwa hota from tehzeeb - again superb counterpoint to the entire flow of the song......

pallavi of noor-run-ala from meenaxi - enna oru stark difference from prelude.......

Benny Lava
2nd August 2009, 02:37 PM
Vandhe mataram (the original bengali anthem - female version). The tune is quite unconventional and complex. I guess every phrase in this song has a different tune except few, somehow the song as a whole doesn't seem incongruent. It is indeed a beautiful soul stirring melody. It shows ARR's deep understanding of concepts of melody. Compare this with a song like Noor un ala that is mainly composed of short trance inducing repeat phrases.. you can only marvel at his adeptness... pure mastery of not just genres, but every aspects of music :bow:

Btwn, this song has a beautiful sax post lude which is almost 3 minutes long :shock: Not to be missed! :thumbsup:

http://www.dishant.com/jukebox.php?songid=30