PDA

View Full Version : Which Former Lead Actor Should Have Had A Better Career?

Pages : [1] 2

groucho070
23rd July 2009, 11:43 AM
An idea came to me when I saw this post of HR's in his beloved Captain's thread. Plus it has been quiet lately and I am bored.

VIJAYAKANTH is the NO. 3 after RAJINI & KAMAL

If anyone disagrees with the above statement & want to say that there is ______ , which I haven't considered, then they can come with valid examples about their favourite.

Also, they can give the reason, at present, what made them to stop acting as a lead character:

i) whether they have retired
ii) or, they are made to retire by the people
iii) or they decided, its time to give some chance to the youngsters
iv) or whether they decided, let other serve for this industry, let me look after my family :roll:

Shall I list some successful lead actors starting from late 1970's who have competed with Vijayakanth.

Sivakumar
Sudhakar
Karthik
Mohan
Prabhu
Sathyaraj
Murali
Suresh
K Baghyaraj
R Pandiyarajan
Ramarajan
Anand babu
Chandrasekar
Nizhalgal Ravi

etc. etc.

As everyone knows, my main aim is to fill some pages & make this thread to touch 100 pages :mrgreen:

I'd take Sathyaraj out, coz he is still doing lead roles. So, who's your favourite that you wish had better career because they are truly talented. Prabhu and Karthik have had their shot for two decades. Prabhu is doing character roles now, a good move.

For me.
Mohan should have had better career. Decent actor, and he is pretty good in all genres, he should have had at least ten more years of good career like Prabhu & Karthik.

Thalafanz
23rd July 2009, 11:45 AM
Ramarajan :yessir:

Vivasaayi
23rd July 2009, 11:45 AM
Prabhu

Raikkonen
23rd July 2009, 11:46 AM
Bagyaraj.

groucho070
23rd July 2009, 11:47 AM
Prabhu had his shot, two decades of decent career. I'd say the same of Karthik. Sathyaraj overstayed in hero department, but doing okay in character roles. But Mohan who was once equal to them, should have done few more lead roles.

Plum
23rd July 2009, 12:23 PM
Ok, I'll add a pet topic of mine and say this aloud:
I feel the great Sivaji Ganesan could definitely have had an even better career than the monumental one he had. Especially, his full talent could have been utilised in later stages much better. He could have explored and displayed all nuances of acting if given the opportunity. As it is, our directors exploited only a limited subset of his capabilities.

Possibly, if Prabhu had been more talented, and emerged as a superstar in early 80s rather than just a star in late 80's, NT would have got the freedom to experiment without the pressure of earning for his family. Yes, I think in all possible weird ways of how this could have happened...

groucho070
23rd July 2009, 12:52 PM
Well, he did have a fantastic career, and I agree that from 80s onwards they should have made better use of him. If Prabhu had been a superstar, I think NT would have just retired and obliged to friends or relatives occasionally, just like how he did back in the 90s. Passing of his brother, his manager, did not help either.

viraajan
23rd July 2009, 12:53 PM
Ramarajan :yessir:

:rotfl:

groucho070
23rd July 2009, 01:13 PM
Looks like this thread will have short career too :?

hattori_hanzo
23rd July 2009, 01:27 PM
I'd take Sathyaraj out, coz he is still doing lead roles. So, who's your favourite that you wish had better career because they are truly talented. Prabhu and Karthik have had their shot for two decades. Prabhu is doing character roles now, a good move.

For me.
Mohan should have had better career. Decent actor, and he is pretty good in all genres, he should have had at least ten more years of good career like Prabhu & Karthik.

By genre, do u mean the kinds of movies he did or the roles he played? I don't think he was good in comedy or action movies. His forte was romance - musicals, breezy love stories, family dramas and tragedies.

viraajan
23rd July 2009, 01:32 PM

Intention of this statement is quite unclear. Whether it is for "no proper response" or for "people making fun here" :)

groucho070
23rd July 2009, 01:34 PM
You had me there, HH. What I meant was he was useful in all those genres. How good, well its a bit uneven. He had the knack for comedy, but the comedy films he had done were not that good. Action, he tried and was just as good as his peers. Except for VK, nobody of that era was known for fight sequences (Excepting the top two, of course). But then, the forte was what you mentioned, you nailed it over there.

A decent actor. Too bad for sometimes he depended on Surendhar's voice, and when he started using his own, audience got scared.

groucho070
23rd July 2009, 01:37 PM

Intention of this statement is quite unclear. Whether it is for "no proper response" or for "people making fun here" :)Don't mind the making fun part. :D

viraajan
23rd July 2009, 01:39 PM

Intention of this statement is quite unclear. Whether it is for "no proper response" or for "people making fun here" :)Don't mind the making fun part. :D

:) 8-)

I'm still thinking of suggesting an actor. Not getting one.

Takkunu mindla strike aanadhu Mohan thaan :lol:

Thalafanz
23rd July 2009, 01:39 PM
Groucho, for me - Raj Kiran :)

Raikkonen
23rd July 2009, 01:40 PM
I like Mohan 8-)

He actually 'tried' in many genres. Horror (nooravathu naal, Uruvam), Thriller (24 Hours, December Pookal), Family (Kilinjalgal, Gopurangal ..), Love (Idhaya Kovil etc)..

Poor dude forever will be remembered for his association with his best friend.. The Microphone..

groucho070
23rd July 2009, 01:44 PM
TF, what Raj Kiran did as hero was pretty limited. What else do you think he could have done? One thing, he sure has become a heck of a character artist.

MADDY
23rd July 2009, 03:29 PM
Madhavan
ArvindSamy
Prabhu Deva

groucho070
23rd July 2009, 03:35 PM
Madhavan
ArvindSamy
Prabhu DevaFormer lead actor, Maddy. Neengga veera tensan pannikkittu :D

MADDY
23rd July 2009, 04:02 PM
Madhavan
ArvindSamy
Prabhu DevaFormer lead actor, Maddy. Neengga veera tensan pannikkittu :D

seri seri :D

Arvindsamy and Prabhu deva then :) .....

Plum
23rd July 2009, 04:58 PM
Maddy, Arvindswamy innum enna paNNi irukkalAmngaraeenga? Thalaattu oNNu podhume avar versatility show-ku :-)

MADDY
23rd July 2009, 07:09 PM
Maddy, Arvindswamy innum enna paNNi irukkalAmngaraeenga? Thalaattu oNNu podhume avar versatility show-ku :-)

i really didnt care if he was versatile or not.........i just wanted to watch him in movies for a long time but it didnt happen.......

Sarna
23rd July 2009, 07:20 PM

Aravindh samy was pretty good in Taalaattu :D

his comic acting was enjoyable in pudhayal also :D

Nerd
23rd July 2009, 07:25 PM
I don't think he was good in comedy

I though he was extremely good in comedy.

-Paadu nilaavE (first half)
-Kilinjalgal (Wastrel son)
-Rettaivaal Kuruvi (Two wives)
-Sahadevan Mahadevan (Though not as good as S Ve)

As far as his acting goes, he was quite limited. But he did really well in mouna ragam, nenjathai kiLLAthey, nooRavadhu naaL, Gopurangal saayvathillai etc.

NOV
23rd July 2009, 08:22 PM
I am shocked (literally) to find that there are ppl who vouch for mohan. goes to prove that one never knows anything :cry:

I think the only one worth talking about is Karthik.

HonestRaj
23rd July 2009, 08:28 PM

:yes:

mudi kottama irundhurundha ... he could have done a few more films..
late 80's ellam Karthik oda personality.. chanceless :thumbsup:

Agni Natchthiram'la I like Karthik more than Prabhu

Nerd
23rd July 2009, 08:47 PM
My choice is Karthik too but I would not make condescending remarks on Mohan-vouchers :lol2: He had his moments and was vastly successful in the early-mid 80s.

Karthik unfortunately was stereotyped and choice of films were not good :(

VinodKumar's
23rd July 2009, 09:12 PM

yeah agni nacthathirathula sema mass ah iruparu karthik ... i always feel ponnumani is the movie which made karthik to move to village subjects and he started loosing his carrier ...

jaiganes
23rd July 2009, 11:10 PM
It was time for me to act in a school play and had to play the role of a con man who gets caught. We were rehearsing and it was an english play and guess what the scene where I get caught, it was not coming well the way the English teacher told me. I told her let me do it my way and tried out some more varieties, nothing worked and out of the blue I did a karthik moment by stammering while I said 'Po.. po .. police' nad man it worked like hell. I never knew, till that moment how much I have liked his acting sub consciously. A very good actor who spoiled his career towards the end , in the beginning and in the middle as well (when he did those movies for Rajeshwar - waste director). He had everything going for him and yet managed to shoot himself in the foot - What a waste. He joins the list that has folks like Jaiganesh

Movie Cop
23rd July 2009, 11:28 PM

yeah agni nacthathirathula sema mass ah iruparu karthik ... i always feel ponnumani is the movie which made karthik to move to village subjects and he started loosing his carrier ...
Prior to Ponnumani, "Kizhaku Vaasal" released in late 80's was also a village based movie that was superhit. The same combo of Karhtik/R.V. UdhayaKumar came up with "Ponnumani" which didn't do a great business. IMHO, his decline in career is due to lack of discipline and other self-imposed problems he ran into.

If "Mike" Mohan was at his peak (courtesy IR :lol2:) during the early through mid-80's, then Karthik was at his peak during the mid through late 80's (thanks to his good/smart looks and lot's of ladies fan following). Among "Mike" Mohan, Karthik & Prabhu - I rate Karthik as a better actor. If he had showed discipline and passion twards his work, he could have had an extended run at the TFI! :sigh2: Also, on a side note, his dialaak delivery started looking weird from the 90's. Edho oru madhiri "kozha kozhanu" kozhaivaaru... :lol2: "Ullathai Alitha" was the height of his weird dilaak delivery... :evil:

crajkumar_be
23rd July 2009, 11:32 PM

As far as his acting goes, he was quite limited. But he did really well in mouna ragam, nenjathai kiLLAthey, nooRavadhu naaL, Gopurangal saayvathillai etc.
Yes i liked his comedy. He can be funny unintentionally also but thats mostly in songs.

app_engine
23rd July 2009, 11:50 PM
There are many categories of heroes during the period of KH-RK.

1. Had limited stuff, used it carefully, flexible to change roles and hence had extended career :
- Sathyaraj, Prabhu, Sivakumar

2. Had great potential, stunning successes but fizzled out entirely due to indiscipline and personal relationships (going by news reports, kind of confirmed by his political comedies)
- Karthik

3. Had limited stuff but more success than deserved and rightfully showed the door in course of time
- Mohan (probably the only one of his kind who didn't use his voice and still succeeded so much, a good % of credit goes to Surendar / IR / R Sundarrajan)

4. The rest in the list had severe limitations -some absolutely fortunate to grease paint - and accordingly had only so-so run.

I don't know where to place Vijayakanth - kind of complicated because he had limited stuff some successes some failures but still managing to act as a hero :? :?

VinodKumar's
24th July 2009, 01:12 AM

Prior to Ponnumani, "Kizhaku Vaasal" released in late 80's was also a village based movie that was superhit. The same combo of Karhtik/R.V. UdhayaKumar came up with "Ponnumani" which didn't do a great business. IMHO, his decline in career is due to lack of discipline and other self-imposed problems he ran into.

If "Mike" Mohan was at his peak (courtesy IR :lol2:) during the early through mid-80's, then Karthik was at his peak during the mid through late 80's (thanks to his good/smart looks and lot's of ladies fan following). Among "Mike" Mohan, Karthik & Prabhu - I rate Karthik as a better actor. If he had showed discipline and passion twards his work, he could have had an extended run at the TFI! :sigh2: Also, on a side note, his dialaak delivery started looking weird from the 90's. Edho oru madhiri "kozha kozhanu" kozhaivaaru... :lol2: "Ullathai Alitha" was the height of his weird dilaak delivery... :evil:

ponumani flop ah :shock: ? ivalo naala athu BB nu nenatchikittu irunthaen ... athuvum appolam entha festival nalum theruvula nenjukullae innarunu sonna theriyuma nu poturuvaanga ... so i thought its a blockbuster ...

app_engine
24th July 2009, 01:16 AM
appolam entha festival nalum theruvula nenjukullae innarunu sonna theriyuma nu poturuvaanga ... so i thought its a blockbuster ...

அப்பிடிப்பாத்தா, போன வருஷத்து ப்ளாக் பஸ்டர் 'சக்கரக்கட்டி'ங்களா? :-)

Nerd
24th July 2009, 01:24 AM
Ponnumani above average'nga. 75+ days in Trichy. Kizhakku vaasal veLLi vizhA :)

jaiganes
24th July 2009, 01:42 AM
ponnumani was RVUdhaikumar's comeback after 'ejamaan' debacle.

Nerd
24th July 2009, 01:59 AM
Idhuvum thappaana information. Ejamaan's opening was poor but picked up later thanks to thaaikkulams. 100 days in Ramba, Trichy. It did better than uzhaiippALi actually.

Avadi to America
24th July 2009, 02:39 AM
ponnumani was RVUdhaikumar's comeback after 'ejamaan' debacle.

pullianga.... vitta ella padathyaum flopnnu solliduvaynga
:lol:

VinodKumar's
24th July 2009, 05:53 AM
appolam entha festival nalum theruvula nenjukullae innarunu sonna theriyuma nu poturuvaanga ... so i thought its a blockbuster ...

அப்பிடிப்பாத்தா, போன வருஷத்து ப்ளாக் பஸ்டர் 'சக்கரக்கட்டி'ங்களா? :-)

ariyatha vayasu la appdi nenatchitaengna ...

Thalafanz
24th July 2009, 06:14 AM
ArvindSamy

Agree. :( Last was AlaipAyuthEy I suppose...

groucho070
24th July 2009, 07:49 AM
Agni Natchthiram'la I like Karthik more than PrabhuI think they were equal. Both had their strength. You are not sure whom to support, though most would sympathise Karthik thanks to his background in the film.

But the best moment, for me, in the film was when Prabhu says, "Arrest him". Wish Prabhu had worked out his weight problem and done more experiments. It's okay, he's doing fine now.

MADDY
24th July 2009, 08:23 AM
ArvindSamy

Agree. :( Last was AlaipAyuthEy I suppose...

yes....its so disappointing to see some of our favs perish halfway.......but he is a very busy businessman and has a career to tend to....... :)

groucho070
24th July 2009, 09:01 AM
I liked some of Aravindswamy's performance in non-Manirathnam films. Especially so in Pudhayal where he was genuinely funny.

Should I be surprised that nobody mentioned Thyagarajan in this thread :P

Raikkonen
24th July 2009, 09:33 AM
Ramki...

Really Really good in Comedy..

Sarna
24th July 2009, 09:40 AM

1. Had limited stuff, used it carefully, flexible to change roles and hence had extended career :
- Sathyaraj, Prabhu, Sivakumar

:shock: prabhu had limited stuff'aa :huh:

Rajini-kamal period'la, excellent actors next to Rajini-kamal'naa adhu Prabhu-karthik dhaanga :)

sathyaraj-limited stuff dhaan

sivakumar- one of the worst actors of the decade . koolaangal'la vaaila pottuttu pEsuramaadhiri avarOda dialogue delivery :rotfl3:

Plum
24th July 2009, 09:41 AM
While the names people are coming up with and pointing their strengths - even if we agree those are strengths, should we consider those ones who had a few strengths, and extrapolate that to they should have had a better career?
Ramki for instance - for whatever talents he had, he acted as a hero with varying degrees of succces for about 10 years - howsoever good he was in comedy - and thats debatable too - are we saying he deserved more? I think most of these guys whatever limited talent they had, they had enough success for that.

We should identify cases like Karthik, where there was excellent talent but not put to use - and as app said, more due to personal indiscipline - and Prabhu was not ambitious enough. One of the quotes attributed to him regularly in early 90's was "naama nadikkara padam odanungaradhai vida, odara padathula naama irukkaNum, adhaan mukyam" shows a man who thought his talent was limited and worked accordingly. At his best, however, he was very good, and we can clearly see that he could challenge the best. Point being he never considered it important to be his best always and swayed along mediocrely

I'd like to differentiate between such cases and cases liek Ramki and Arvindswamy, who at their best, showed themselves good in certain areas, and had enough success within that range. I dont think they could have doen anything more than that. To AS's credit, he saw that, quoted that as a reason to quit, and made a name elsewhere.

rajasaranam
24th July 2009, 05:35 PM
Plum,

Enna Velai paaakreenga. Ivalo time @ ur disposal :shock:

Plum
24th July 2009, 05:48 PM
ada naan aaNiye pudungaradhillaipa...

Murali Srinivas
24th July 2009, 05:50 PM
We should identify cases like Karthik, where there was excellent talent but not put to use - and as app said, more due to personal indiscipline - and Prabhu was not ambitious enough. One of the quotes attributed to him regularly in early 90's was "naama nadikkara padam odanungaradhai vida, odara padathula naama irukkaNum, adhaan mukyam" shows a man who thought his talent was limited and worked accordingly. At his best, however, he was very good, and we can clearly see that he could challenge the best. Point being he never considered it important to be his best always and swayed along mediocrely.

Beautifully put Plum. Truth, nothing but the truth.

Regards

MADDY
24th July 2009, 06:30 PM
I'd like to differentiate between such cases and cases liek Ramki and Arvindswamy, who at their best, showed themselves good in certain areas, and had enough success within that range. I dont think they could have doen anything more than that. To AS's credit, he saw that, quoted that as a reason to quit, and made a name elsewhere.

i think thats the debate.....i felt Arvind, though a "very ordinary" actor as per u and others , got lesser credit and success than what other "very ordinary" actors got.....

i also had this longing to see him more often on screen like how karthik admirers feel abt him - i dont think i shuld keep quiet just bcos arvind is a lesser talent than karthik (as per others), isnt it? :)

hattori_hanzo
24th July 2009, 08:15 PM

Yes i liked his comedy. He can be funny unintentionally also but thats mostly in songs.

:exactly:, CR There is a song called 'Yen Purushan Dhaan...". Adhula paarunga Be-Be-Beynnu oru thiruttu muzhi muzhipparu. Kannu pidhungi TV'a vittu veliye vara madhiri oru peelingi..

Indha listla, except RVK, the other movies and his roles in those movies are just so-so. In Sahadevan Mahadevan, he was sidelined by SVS. "Wastrel Son" role'la nadicha, adhu "good in comedy" aaguma? '7G'la Ravi Krishna kooda dhaan Wastrel Son :)

Paadu Nilave??? The only thing in this movie which is worth mentioning is Raja's 'Malaiyoram' song. Everything else, including Mohan's acting was very ordinary.

Nerd
24th July 2009, 08:30 PM
H_H,
Please watch kiLinjalgaL and paadu nilaave again. I am not able to quote scenes/dialogues from paadu nilaavE (baed memory) but he was genuinely funny. In kiLinjalgaL, the mottai maadi scenes, the scene in which he acts as the driver of his own car (just before the chinna chinna kannA song), his exchanges with his dad etc. He had his moments in S-M too, mostly slapstick.

complicateur
24th July 2009, 09:54 PM
I find it quite hard to accept the merits an acting career founded on someone else's voice. Mohan loses on this front.

Nerd
24th July 2009, 10:29 PM
And groucho who rather snobbishly dismissed simran :twisted: for not using her own voice is vouching for Mohan in this thread :confused2:

app_engine
24th July 2009, 10:50 PM
I find it quite hard to accept the merits an acting career founded on someone else's voice. Mohan loses on this front.

Absolutely, he definitely didn't deserve more glory in TF , IMO.

Interestingly, he is quite unique on that front among heroes! That way, he can possibly be compared with actresses (and not actors) :-)

viraajan
24th July 2009, 10:53 PM

:thumbsup:

You've spoken my mind.

Movie Cop
25th July 2009, 01:21 AM
Agni Natchthiram'la I like Karthik more than PrabhuI think they were equal. Both had their strength. You are not sure whom to support, though most would sympathise Karthik thanks to his background in the film.

But the best moment, for me, in the film was when Prabhu says, "Arrest him". Wish Prabhu had worked out his weight problem and done more experiments. It's okay, he's doing fine now.
Rakesh,
Talking specifically about AN, Karthik's role had more meat & glamour than that of Prabhu's. AN-la Karthik beats Prabhu hands down not because Prabhu acted badly in it or anything but it's just that their characters panned out that way.

Even otherwise, Karthik is a better actor than Prabhu (IMO, ofcourse)! :P

Among Karthik's films, "Amaran" had the biggest pre-release hype and that was the biggest bet for him. Rumour has it that GV ensured the delay of Amaran's release fearing for his own business if the movie would have released around the Thalapathy time... Still not sure if that was just a rumour or a possible fact. But unlike Nayagan (for KH) & Thalapathy (for RK), Amaran bombed at BO, thanks to lack of depth in screenplay. That was a pretty vital blow for Karthik in the most critical phase of his career. From the point of Amaran's debacle, it was all downhill for Karthik :?

Movie Cop
25th July 2009, 01:24 AM

ponumani flop ah :shock: ? ivalo naala athu BB nu nenatchikittu irunthaen ... athuvum appolam entha festival nalum theruvula nenjukullae innarunu sonna theriyuma nu poturuvaanga ... so i thought its a blockbuster ...
Didn't mean to imply Ponnumani was a downright flop. It didn't do a very great buisness as compared to "Kizhakku Vaasal" which swept the BO. :)

jaiganes
25th July 2009, 01:55 AM
ayyoyo simran aunty kkum idhe nilai dhaana?

jaiganes
25th July 2009, 02:05 AM
Also coming back to Karthik's career, I donno if there was anyone else apart from him who could fit so well into a 'graamathaan' character despite his chocolate boy - urban looks . In fact a bulk of his movies were village based movies and he did splendidly well in most of them. As far as his stuttered speech is concerned, I felt it went well with his persona and sometimes, it kinda gave him the space required to emote, gesticulate and then speak. So what is 'seemingly' lost in the 'blur' of his speech is adequately compensated by his body language and expressions and by that alone he stands tall compared to someone like Prabhu.
His acting in Varusham 16 and movies like chinna kannamma are pure delight. His comic sense too is amazing. Talentwise he is right up there among top actors of thamizh cinema, but application, discipline - well lack of these brought him down - but - so was Raghuvaran another great actor. And speaking of him - He singlehandedly deserved a longer and far more glorified career than anyone else , Karthik Included.

app_engine
25th July 2009, 02:06 AM

IMO, she too had more glory than deserved. (I read in some news report that she had the audacity to venture into election campaign and failed miserably there).

I think it's quite long since we had a female lead whose kural matched the otherwise qualities. Was it Revathy or was there someone after her? Sridevi (Kapoor) had such a great advantage in this department...

groucho070
25th July 2009, 06:52 AM
And groucho who rather snobbishly dismissed simran :twisted: for not using her own voice is vouching for Mohan in this thread :confused2: :lol: Well, apart from voice I didn't find her facial expression and body language that impressive. Mohan started out with his own voice, then the last few years did use his voice again, so he sort of qualifies. Innum few years irunthirukalaamnu, avalavuthaan.

groucho070
25th July 2009, 06:56 AM
Rakesh,
Talking specifically about AN, Karthik's role had more meat & glamour than that of Prabhu's. AN-la Karthik beats Prabhu hands down not because Prabhu acted badly in it or anything but it's just that their characters panned out that way.

Even otherwise, Karthik is a better actor than Prabhu (IMO, ofcourse)! :P

Good to see you here :D. I saw both as equal in AN, and I know my friends and others felt differently. Appove I was in Prabhu camp even when I was not a NT fan.

Among Karthik's films, "Amaran" had the biggest pre-release hype and that was the biggest bet for him.A favourite flick of mine then. I even watched Vikneshwar on big screen and liked it :oops: Yeah, then we had some sort of high expectation for him. Too bad.

NOV
25th July 2009, 08:34 PM
Well, apart from voice I didn't find her facial expression and body language that impressive.hmmm. very strange man you are :think:

HonestRaj
26th July 2009, 01:16 AM

I don't know where to place Vijayakanth - kind of complicated because he had limited stuff some successes some failures but still managing to act as a hero :? :?

nane indha point'kagathan andha madhiri oru post pannaen...

VK paththi'na yarum discuss pannamattangannu.. Groucho.. technicalla, thread title-aye mathittaru....

eppadiyo.. nan sollavandhadhu adhuthan...

engum vetri than kadaisiyil parkkapadugiradhu :yes: :)

----------

A few hrs before... I was watching Chinna Gounder (Aadhitya Channel)

Title podumpodhu, Isaignani paduvadharkkum, Captain andha vandikkulla irukkura andha pose :notworthy: :notworthy:

Thumbai poo madhiri Vellai veshti - sattai .... ungalukku nigar neengathan... :thumbsup:

Indha padathukku piraguthan, Ejaman, Devar Magan, Nattamai ellam vandhadhu enbadhu enakku oru magizhchi :)

----------

ah.. continue discussion.. Captain innum konja kaalathukku kadhai nayakanagavum, kadhaa nayaganagavum nadippar .... (ada idhuvum oru wish thanga) :P

Anban
26th July 2009, 02:25 AM
Honest,

that potti-thookura scene in Chinna Gounder is a classic on all counts..

Acting, BGM top class.. :clap:

Vivasaayi
26th July 2009, 08:52 AM
chinna kavunder in adithya tv

very good movie...vijayakanth body language and dialogue delivery :clap:

Raghu
27th July 2009, 03:27 PM

EXACTLY, Karthick all the way. Mohan survived thanks to Dr.SPB & Dr.IR :lol2:

Raghu
27th July 2009, 03:35 PM

ahaa , adapaveeghala kalyanam ahee oru kozhantha pethuta avanga Aunty -a??? :x :wink:

Simms stills rule!!!

Thirumaran
27th July 2009, 04:00 PM

ahaa , adapaveeghala kalyanam ahee oru kozhantha pethuta avanga Aunty -a??? :x :wink:

Simms stills rule!!!

Your GK should improve brother :lol2: Kalyaanam aanaalae aunty thaan.. Kuzhanthayum irunthuchunnaa sollavae vaenaam :lol2: ISI muthirai kuththina aunty thaan :yessir:

Raghu
27th July 2009, 04:25 PM

Simms stills rule!!!

Your GK should improve brother :lol2: Kalyaanam aanaalae aunty thaan.. Kuzhanthayum irunthuchunnaa sollavae vaenaam :lol2: ISI muthirai kuththina aunty thaan :yessir:

ahaa, appo, grandfather ellam hero-a nadikumpothu, kaith thati varavertipinga :lol2:

Plum
27th July 2009, 04:27 PM
ahaa, appo, grandfather ellam hero-a nadikumpothu, kaith thati varavertipinga
adhu poNNunga prachnai, out of scope...apdinnu thirumaran solvaarunu solla vandhaen :-)

Thirumaran
27th July 2009, 04:29 PM

Simms stills rule!!!

ahaa, appo, grandfather ellam hero-a nadikumpothu, kaith thati varavertipinga :lol2:

i dont care for that :lol2:

but ithu kooda naalainju page oatrathukku yaetha discussion thaan :yes:

Shall we start listing such actors and have a healthy discussion on that :roll:

Thirumaran
27th July 2009, 04:31 PM
ahaa, appo, grandfather ellam hero-a nadikumpothu, kaith thati varavertipinga
adhu poNNunga prachnai, out of scope...apdinnu thirumaran solvaarunu solla vandhaen :-)

nyaayam thaanae :huh: :rotfl2:

Plum
27th July 2009, 04:52 PM
nyaayam dhaan. namma karuthai direct-A solradhai vida, putting words in others' mouth is a convenience that I never fail to take advantage of :-)

app_engine
27th July 2009, 04:58 PM

nane indha point'kagathan andha madhiri oru post pannaen...

VK paththi'na yarum discuss pannamattangannu.. Groucho.. technicalla, thread title-aye mathittaru....

eppadiyo.. nan sollavandhadhu adhuthan...

engum vetri than kadaisiyil parkkapadugiradhu :yes: :)

I just thought for a moment about the longevity of VK. Well, as anyone will admit he had some talent but also limitations.

There was also another theory that "action heroes" (means adi-dhadi) last longer than romantic / otherwise heroes. I don't think that's correct too, big example Sivaji.

My theory is whoever was smart enough to do one of the following lasted a few years longer than others :

1. As we've already seen, changing the rolls (to suit market acceptability / age factor etc)

2. Those who have nurtured and cultivated "rasigar mandRams". This may be the reason for people with a string of failures still continue to hang around, with once in a blue moon success. Vijayakanth, Vijay, Ajith are examples here.

Surya must be making a mistake in not nurturing such organizations when he is riding on successes. A few flops and people / industry will forget him and he may have to go his dad's way, while despite tons of flops, some will be dancing with the latest girl.

Raghu
27th July 2009, 05:08 PM

Simms stills rule!!!

baaas nee umnu oru varthai sollu baas, naa athukenu oru puthu thread aarampikiren

i dont care for that :lol2:

but ithu kooda naalainju page oatrathukku yaetha discussion thaan :yes:

baaas nee umnu oru varthai sollu baas, naa athukenu oru puthu thread aarampikiren

Raghu
27th July 2009, 05:14 PM
thirumaran baas unga poto-la Madhavi sooper :lol2:

Thirumaran
27th July 2009, 05:48 PM
nyaayam dhaan. namma karuthai direct-A solradhai vida, putting words in others' mouth is a convenience that I never fail to take advantage of :-)

:cool2: You are eligible to be a moderator then :rotfl2:

Raghu
27th July 2009, 06:34 PM
sorry to divert the topic...

but can some1 tell me, which film featured Vadivelu's 'Enoda kinatha kaanamaiyaaa' caaamady ?

Nerd
27th July 2009, 07:48 PM
Surya must be making a mistake in not nurturing such organizations when he is riding on successes.
Not right. Surya has many fan clubs. He knows how his dad was treated.. :)

HonestRaj
27th July 2009, 08:01 PM
I just thought for a moment about the longevity of VK. Well, as anyone will admit he had some talent but also limitations.

Please tell us something about the secret of your longevity at the box office?

(Laughs) I have been around for the past 24 years and done about 144 odd films. I had my share of hits and flops, ups and downs and still continue to act. There is no secret; all I can say is that, it is hard work, devotion and some good luck.

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/thscrip/print.pl?file=2002102300030200.htm&date=2002/10/23/&prd=mp&

Andha thread-ai padikkadhavangalukkaga .. :)

There was also another theory that "action heroes" (means adi-dhadi) last longer than romantic / otherwise heroes. I don't think that's correct too, big example Sivaji.

mutrilum thavarana udharanam..... Sivaji oru Sakalakala vallavar...

neenga Gemini / SSR / Sivakumar / Muthuraman'nu vera yarayavadhu example kudunga... surf excel karai madhiri thedinalum kidaikkadhu...

Love subject'la naqdikkiravanga plus point eh.. muga azhaguthan.. ethanai kaalathukku adhu irukkum..

app_engine
27th July 2009, 08:10 PM
Surya must be making a mistake in not nurturing such organizations when he is riding on successes.
Not right. Surya has many fan clubs. He knows how his dad was treated.. :)

ok...then the article I read somewhere in the net that he discourages them must be incorrect. So, he has some "fall-back" strategy during a lean patch...

Honest,
There can be no two opinions about Sivaji being a SKV. However, if someone says he lasted long because he was an adi-dhadi hero will be far-fetched. Same should have been true about Kamal / Rajini but both deliberately chose to be adi-dhadi masala guys - in differing % ofcourse, mostly straying from sensitive roles. These two again, would have lasted many years whether or not they did adi-dhadi masalas, IMO.

crajkumar_be
27th July 2009, 08:20 PM
Honest,
There can be no two opinions about Sivaji being a SKV. However, if someone says he lasted long because he was an adi-dhadi hero will be far-fetched. Same should have been true about Kamal / Rajini but both deliberately chose to be adi-dhadi masala guys - in differing % ofcourse, mostly straying from sensitive roles. These two again, would have lasted many years whether or not they did adi-dhadi masalas, IMO.
Parallel universe syndrome again app_engine :razz:

Kamal is the one (in the mainstream) who has done the most in TF to bring "art" into the commerce of cinema - as an actor, screen writer, producer, ghost-director and director. Others may have done more artsy work but i'm talking about longevity here. Its always going to be a tight rope walk in this industry. And lets be relative here...

Clubbing him as just a masala-adithadi guy (just differing in %age) tells me that your conclusions and theories are just completely out of tune with reality, and not for the first time, i'm afraid.

app_engine
27th July 2009, 08:38 PM
Others may have done more artsy work but i'm talking about longevity here. Its always going to be a tight rope walk in this industry. And lets be relative here...

Clubbing him as just a masala-adithadi guy (just differing in %age) tells me that your conclusions and theories are just completely out of tune with reality, and not for the first time, i'm afraid.

Agreed, both clubbing and labelling were incorrect in Kamal's case :-( I was a little bit hasty there...

However, sometimes I wonder whether Kamal himself wants to give such an image, especially to TN crowd. (Remember he didn't want the excellent 'swathi muthyam' to be shown in TN worrying it would affect his macho image, refusing to dub, getting upset with SPB for dubbing for him etc...)

Querida
28th July 2009, 07:08 AM
Well I just don't know how Pandiarajan survived that long making movies..it was like he always played the same character! And Murali with that "the world has abandoned me" look.

I remember reading in some thread the verbal whipping that Rahman got...guess no one liked him?? :ashamed: The one movie I did like of his was "pudhu pudhu arthangal" but then again I have to admit I was/am in complete awe of the music.

I know this is a tangent but I have got to say Vikram is the actor that I can say whose potential was not used fully and could have had a more successful career if given the chance earlier. He doesn't even have 50 films and his hype seems to have disappeared... :(

Vivasaayi
28th July 2009, 08:12 AM
Same should have been true about Kamal / Rajini but both deliberately chose to be adi-dhadi masala guys - in differing % ofcourse, mostly straying from sensitive roles. These two again, would have lasted many years whether or not they did adi-dhadi masalas, IMO.

Kamal and rajni in same bracket..that too as adidhadi masala guys?

nalla vela "rajiniyum kamal maadhiri neraya experiment pannaru" apdingra argumenta vekkala

Vivasaayi
28th July 2009, 08:14 AM
Remember he didn't want the excellent 'swathi muthyam' to be shown in TN worrying it would affect his macho image, refusing to dub, getting upset with SPB for dubbing for him etc

idhellam yarunga unga kitta sonnadhu

As far as I know he wanted to "remake" swathi muthyam in tamil.S o he refused to dub it in tamil.

However, sometimes I wonder whether Kamal himself wants to give such an image

andha image kudukanumnu nenacha edhukunga avaru 16v,guna,salangai oli,moondram pirai,mahanadhi yellam appappo kudukanum?he could have acted as a macho man through out his career.what stopped him?

yarum force panlaye...avara thana nadicharu?

Vivasaayi
28th July 2009, 08:23 AM
Vikrams biggest mistake IMHO was selecting shankars Anniyan.

app_engine
28th July 2009, 07:16 PM
idhellam yarunga unga kitta sonnadhu

Definitely read somewhere, not my guess (and I'm not quite imaginative as well) :-)

Well, about the "image" part, IMO, Kamal had confusion from time to time - whether to have one or not. At times, he'll be a pucca artiste, trying not to get type-cast, breaking images etc. At other times, he'll try to do cheap fight-macho roles (intolerable "bench-fight" in TTT repeated in Geraftaar, for e.g. and most of the movies between SKV & nAyakan)

May be commercial compulsions (that his adi-dhadi movies had bigger success in BO - so the need to include fights - even in comedy movies later on like MMKR / Tenali), ill-advised by others etc, but those were the results.

Well, I think I've digressed enough from the thread title by making a couple of comments on Kamal.

To sum up, I'm not bundling him and RK together as adi-dhadi, but this is my opinion : It's undeniable that Kamal has unnecessarily larger % of adi-dhadi in his total portfolio.

Nerd
28th July 2009, 07:23 PM
:shock: Choosing his biggest blockbuster, the film which made AP, NI (avar range-kku) take notice of him is a mistake? Or do you mean to say he wasted time (2 years)? He was better off doing Anniyan than doing three majA's or three BheemAs in those two years. His saais of films after Anniyan is poor.

app_engine
28th July 2009, 07:28 PM
His saais of films after Anniyan is poor.

I think he has one more kuppai in the pipeline (Ksamy by kalaippuli).

Perhaps MR will lift him up out of debris in rAvaNan...

Balaspike
28th July 2009, 07:36 PM
An idea came to me when I saw this post of HR's in his beloved Captain's thread. Plus it has been quiet lately and I am bored.

VIJAYAKANTH is the NO. 3 after RAJINI & KAMAL

If anyone disagrees with the above statement & want to say that there is ______ , which I haven't considered, then they can come with valid examples about their favourite.

Also, they can give the reason, at present, what made them to stop acting as a lead character:

i) whether they have retired
ii) or, they are made to retire by the people
iii) or they decided, its time to give some chance to the youngsters
iv) or whether they decided, let other serve for this industry, let me look after my family :roll:

Shall I list some successful lead actors starting from late 1970's who have competed with Vijayakanth.

Sivakumar
Sudhakar
Karthik
Mohan
Prabhu
Sathyaraj
Murali
Suresh
K Baghyaraj
R Pandiyarajan
Ramarajan
Anand babu
Chandrasekar
Nizhalgal Ravi

etc. etc.

As everyone knows, my main aim is to fill some pages & make this thread to touch 100 pages :mrgreen:

For me.

Sathiya Raj. Yeana Rajini & Kamaluku apparam ippavu herova nadicha padam ooduthu. Sathiyarajoda padam ellamae paakaramathiri irrukkum adhesamayam comedy yavum irukkum :smokesmile:

Vivasaayi
28th July 2009, 08:50 PM
:shock: Choosing his biggest blockbuster, the film which made AP, NI (avar range-kku) take notice of him is a mistake? Or do you mean to say he wasted time (2 years)? He was better off doing Anniyan than doing three majA's or three BheemAs in those two years. His saais of films after Anniyan is poor.

Vikram was capable of providing a big masala hit then,just by working for few months with directors like saran,dharani,hari.

He doesnt need a 2 year movie directed by shankar to provide a HIT.....how could have provided 4 movies in that period..which would have made him stay at the top...

He was at the very top..along with ajith and vijay then...right after them!

hit kudukanum..ahde time kaanamayum poga koodadhu...vera evanavadhu edatha puduchuruvaan

Nerd
28th July 2009, 09:06 PM
Actually he did not even waste 2 years. Arul released in 2004 and Anniyan in 2005. Then he took up Majaa which was completed in 2005 itself. Then he had to wait almost three years for his next release. Maja and the time he spent for Kansamy/Bheema in those three years has almost made people forget him. Anniyan made him extremely popular in South India. The film was critically acclaimed too - 8 FF awards is not a joke.

Vivasaayi
28th July 2009, 09:16 PM
Actually he did not even waste 2 years. Arul released in 2004 and Anniyan in 2005. Then he took up Majaa which was completed in 2005 itself. Then he had to wait almost three years for his next release. Maja and the time he spent for Kansamy/Bheema in those three years has almost made people forget him. Anniyan made him extremely popular in South India. The film was critically acclaimed too - 8 FF awards is not a joke.

He was number 3 among young actors before anniyan and while he should have been doing as many films as possible,He put in his efforts in Anniyan.

Did it increase his fan base in TN?

Was his performance critically acclaimed?

Where did those 2 years have taken him to?

Plum
28th July 2009, 09:19 PM
He was number 3 among young act
Problem is he was not actually 'young' then. Simple fact is he has grown too old now(nearing 50?). As a conventional hero, that is close to extinction time unless you are a Rajni or Kamal(or as Honest would jump in, Vijayakanth).

He has got to reinvent himself.

Plum
28th July 2009, 09:21 PM

He was number 3 among young actors before anniyan and while he should have been doing as many films as possible,He put in his efforts in Anniyan.

Did it increase his fan base in TN?

Was his performance critically acclaimed?

Where did those 2 years have taken him to?

To be fair, he might have thought that he'd get critical acclaim for that movie. It just misfired. Hindsight doesnt help.
I gues Kandasamy and Bheema are much bigger mistakes than Anniyan.

Nerd
28th July 2009, 09:24 PM
It WAS critically acclaimed. Did not please the hub critics, but he won the best actor FF award. His fanbase in AP doubled. He never had huge number of fans in TN like Aj/Vj or even like Surya (After Ghajini). Anniyan took the best opening of all his films thanks only to Shankar/Oscar Ravi, not his fans. His flops like King/Arul had extremely poor opening unlike say an ATM or Ji or SOK. Actually I can't believe that someone thinks Anniyan is a gray spot in Vikram's career. Lets ATD.

Plum
28th July 2009, 09:27 PM
Vikram, is simply put, a director's actor. A Bala can still get something out of him, I think.

Vivasaayi
28th July 2009, 09:28 PM
It WAS critically acclaimed. Did not please the hub critics, but he won the best actor FF award. His fanbase in AP doubled. He never had huge number of fans in TN like Aj/Vj or even like Surya (After Ghajini). Anniyan took the best opening of all his films thanks only to Shankar/Oscar Ravi, not his fans. His flops like King/Arul had extremely poor opening unlike say an ATM or Ji or SOK. Actually I can't believe that someone thinks Anniyan is a gray spot in Vikram's career. Lets ATD.

fine... :)

He had a considerable fan base in TN nad had the oppurtunity to become 3rd biggest hero after ajith and vijay

crajkumar_be
28th July 2009, 09:29 PM
Vikki,
I don't think the time spent on Anniyan matters. What matters (and what people remember) is that it was a hit. He might have done 2-3 smaller successful movies in the same time but thats immaterial. The issue is what he did after Anniyan. I mean i get your "out of sigh out of mind" point but he could afford at that stage one long film if it got him success, i think.

And let's face it, whatever one might think of Shankar as a director, Shankar=Brahmaandam, scale, big time etc... He definitely needed that

Nerd
28th July 2009, 09:29 PM
Oh well I am sure he would be terrific in the Mani Ratnam film. Actually his voice/body language suits mass roles too but he ain't always successful unfortunately,

Plum
28th July 2009, 09:35 PM
Nerd, I have a soft corner for Vikram, even from Ullasam days :ashamed:
I think he generates a lot of undeserved bile here.
But one cant defend a Bheema.
His career choices are going downhill, and he is considerably older than his competition, which is not going to help.

I have a feeling he can outshine A.Pacchan in RavaN, but I also feel that Pacchan phamily closeness to Mani and pressures from Bolly distribution agencies might end up pushing his role into dustbin with Pachchan's role given prominence due to trade considerations - i mean, i even feel that if he outshines Pachan, just for that reason his scenes may get cut.
His real chance to impress is as RavaNan in the tamil version.

I am fine with Anniyan, i give a lot more credit to that performance than many others here. I dont think it was a mistake. But in AP, Pithamagan was what gave him address, not Anniyan. Nobody has given Vikram an identity like Bala has. Bala is the key to his future.

Vivasaayi
28th July 2009, 09:38 PM
Vikki,
I don't think the time spent on Anniyan matters. What matters (and what people remember) is that it was a hit. He might have done 2-3 smaller successful movies in the same time but thats immaterial. The issue is what he did after Anniyan. I mean i get your "out of sigh out of mind" point but he could afford at that stage one long film if it got him success, i think.

fine...gotit.

But I feel..when a hero is growing and developing a fan base he cannot afford working in a movie for 2 years

I dont think surya could afford a "2 year in production movie" now..

I dont blame him for bheema or kandhasway as they were originally signed as a quicker.

Nerd
28th July 2009, 09:42 PM
But in AP, Pithamagan was what gave him address, not Anniyan. Nobody has given Vikram an identity like Bala has. Bala is the key to his future.
No denying this. I did not say Anniyan is his most important film, I just said he was benefitted by Anniyan.

Vivasaayi
28th July 2009, 09:45 PM
Noone talks abt vijaya kumar

He was also a lead actor once right?...

Plum
28th July 2009, 09:45 PM
Nerd:Sure, I agree. Aparichithudu was a huge hit, and created great visibility for him there. Maja was released with great expectations(among ordinary AP film fans) and promptly flopped, crashing his AP market for the time being. I did like him in Majaa, though, so I dont have the heart to blame it for his travails.

equanimus
28th July 2009, 09:46 PM
Oh well I am sure he would be terrific in the Mani Ratnam film. Actually his voice/body language suits mass roles too but he ain't always successful unfortunately,
I can't agree enough with this, Nerd. He has tremendous screen presence and is actually infinitely better than Ajith/Vijay when it comes to playing "massy" roles.

Plum
28th July 2009, 09:52 PM
I can't agree enough with this, Nerd. He has tremendous screen presence and is actually infinitely better than Ajith/Vijay when it comes to playing "massy" roles.

start meesik....
(poi reinforcement forces-oda varaen equa :-) )

VinodKumar's
28th July 2009, 09:53 PM
Noone talks abt vijaya kumar

He was also a lead actor once right?...

yeah but later he started leading all panchayats :lol:

equanimus
28th July 2009, 09:54 PM
dhO, log out senjittE irukkEn. "idhu nInga sAdhichchadhAvE irukkattum."

Plum
28th July 2009, 09:57 PM
dhO, log out senjittE irukkEn. "idhu nInga sAdhichchadhAvE irukkattum."
i yam also escape - nerd paarthuppaar :lol:

Nerd
28th July 2009, 10:00 PM
"adhu" naan illai!

HonestRaj
28th July 2009, 10:08 PM
He was number 3 among young act
Problem is he was not actually 'young' then. Simple fact is he has grown too old now(nearing 50?). As a conventional hero, that is close to extinction time unless you are a Rajni or Kamal(or as Honest would jump in, Vijayakanth).

He has got to reinvent himself.

neenga koopittadhukkapuram varrame iruppena :)

HonestRaj
28th July 2009, 10:09 PM

SAAMY ........ chanceless get ups in promo's

Movie Cop
28th July 2009, 10:29 PM
I thought, till Maja, Vikram was doing just fine. He was one of the frontline heroes till that point. "Bheema" & "Kandasamy" are the ones that ensured Vikram is taken back to pre-Sethu days (for whatever may be the reason - be it production problems or post-production release issues etc).

Given the plight of Vikram, it was bad move for him to sign up for "Ravan". "Ravan" would have been a good move for someone like Vijay or Ajith who are still hot in the market despite having string of flops (especially the former). But for someone like Vikram, who is trying to survive in the industry, I don't think it was quite a smart move. Sure, "Ravan" may get him critical accclaim but that is not what he exactly needs right now if he is looking to have a long run in TFI. :?

app_engine
28th July 2009, 10:35 PM
rAvaNan will definitely do good to Vikram as MR will surely do a great job.

From what I read, it's supposedly a role with negative / macho shades and he should be a very good fit there.

Movie Cop
28th July 2009, 10:45 PM
rAvaNan will definitely do good to Vikram as MR will surely do a great job.

From what I read, it's supposedly a role with negative / macho shades and he should be a very good fit there.
App,
Sure there is no question on MR's credentials or Vikram's skill... But I'm not sure if it will boost his market. :? Remember Aayudha Ezhuthu? It brought the best out of Maddy & Surya and earned them rave reviews from the pilim critics. But Surya still needed a "Aaru" or "Ghajini" to keep him in the frontline, that's what I mean :)

Movie Cop
28th July 2009, 10:58 PM

SAAMY ........ chanceless get ups in promo's
Vikram was briiliant in Dhil/Gemini/Dhool/Samy. :thumbsup: He looked like a superhero/matinee idol in making. During that time he failed to capitalize on that "mass hero" momentum he had over Vijay & Ajith. :(
Hari undid "Samy" with "Arul" which was outrageously intolerable! :twisted: To add insult to injury, "Gilli" released during that time was a blockbuster. From then on, Vijay became Vikram. :(

app_engine
28th July 2009, 11:00 PM
Movie Cop,
May be you're correct about market conditions. However, Vikram, though tasted success in "massy" movies like dhil / dhool / gemini / saamy but sure to go out of gas, is basically someone who attempts to tread the Kamal / Mammooty way. Hence needs some novelty & seriousness in role (sEthu / pithAmagan / anniyan kind from time to time). Naturally that calls for better directors.

Who can be better than MR that way? (IMO MR should come out of Bollywood big wigs, at least once in a while, to cut down his cycle time and get some quality products out relatively quickly.

Strictly for TN market, he can even tap the likes of IR to save phenomenal amounts of time :wink: )

app_engine
28th July 2009, 11:07 PM
From then on, Vijay became Vikram. :(

Actually Vijay is in trouble too with three flops / getting stale and is possibly trying to take shelter under fan clubs, exciting those for politics etc.

All these guys (Vijay / Vikram / Ajit / Surya / Madhavan) are not "unlimited" like KH-RK and hence are continuously under pressure.

Looks like someone else - say Dhanush or another newcomer - will overtake them soon.

NOV
29th July 2009, 06:29 AM
I am fine with Anniyan, i give a lot more credit to that performance than many others here. I dont think it was a mistake. But in AP, Pithamagan was what gave him address, not Anniyan. Nobody has given Vikram an identity like Bala has. Bala is the key to his future.for once I completely agree with you. :victory:

I especially enjoyed Anniyan very much and also agree that Vikram is a much better actor than many of his contemporaries. Watched Sethu and Naan Kadavul last weekend and couldnt help wondering what Vikram would have done for Arya's role in Naan Kadavul.

groucho070
29th July 2009, 07:52 AM
Watched Sethu and Naan Kadavul last weekend and couldnt help wondering what Vikram would have done for Arya's role in Naan Kadavul.It would be Pithamagan 2. Or should I say, Tamizhnadu Zombie: The Awakening. The mysticism surrounding Arya's character would have been lost and replaced by what would make Rob Zombie proud.

NOV
29th July 2009, 07:54 AM
Frankly speaking, pooja outshone Arya in NK. After watching Sarvam, I am convinced that he cant act even if his life depends on it.

Vikram would have been the ideal choice and would have made a wonderful aghori :thumbsup:

Hulkster
29th July 2009, 07:59 AM
Vikram's eyes do not match an aghori. Arya was the perfect foil for that character. I remember Bala saying that out of the actors, Arya had the most unforgiving eyes and thats why he was roped in. And we all know Vikram likes to overact when it comes to such roles.

NOV saan seems to be a fan of overactors excl sivaji(surya,vikram) :lol2:

groucho070
29th July 2009, 08:06 AM
Vikram is our version of Stallone/Schwarzenegger of 80s/90s. Arnie knew his strength and weaknesses. Stallone tried acting and did super serious Copland and it was downhill after that. Vikram is as confused as Stallone did then. Follow what Sly is doing now...go back to what puts food on your table, more Rambos and Rockys. I say, more Dhils and Dhools, Vikram.

NOV
29th July 2009, 08:12 AM
why excluding sivaji hulk? afraid of relentless bashings? :lol2:

I dont have this cult personality thingy and thus am able to enjoy whatever/whoever is worth. :P

Hulkster
29th July 2009, 08:45 AM
Well because honestly while i did think sivaji tended to overact i realised it is all in the name of the character. Especially thanga pathakkam, everything was perfect, even if there was abit of overacting you could feel that the scene really needed it.

OTOH Vikram in Anniyan, might be a shankar fault but it looked more like a stage drama. And Pithamagan looked like some rabid wolf who can speak abit.

MADDY
29th July 2009, 08:49 AM
Strictly for TN market, he can even tap the likes of IR to save phenomenal amounts of time

yea rite, get songs composed with a stop watch in hands and ultimately realise this is what you didnt want :P MR would surely love to go back to "dominated" days

NOV
29th July 2009, 08:51 AM
maddy, dont come to conclusions yet.... see my PM to you. ;)

groucho070
29th July 2009, 09:17 AM
And Pithamagan looked like some rabid wolf who can speak abit. :lol: You one-upped my zombie remark. Vikram will look great in creature features. :P

MADDY
29th July 2009, 09:20 AM
And Pithamagan looked like some rabid wolf who can speak abit. :lol: You one-upped my zombie remark. Vikram will look great in creature features. :P

:lol: yea, its amusing that people find this great and thambi performance funny :P ......

NOV
29th July 2009, 09:20 AM
its strange that the three of you are critical of Surya and Vikram and think Madhavans best portrayal is Thambi.

I can see a pattern here. :yessir:

MADDY
29th July 2009, 09:24 AM
its strange that the three of you are critical of Surya and Vikram and think Madhavans best portrayal is Thambi.

I can see a pattern here. :yessir:

u mean pattern with IP address :lol: .....

no no, i'm posting this risking groucho's disappointment......i would rate thambi as 3rd or 4th best of maddy's performance - not his best ofcourse :D but yes, the way he carries off a ordinarily written script is commendable....

groucho070
29th July 2009, 09:35 AM
NOV, not sure how critical I was of Surya. Just that he interest me very little. He is definitely better than Vikram's cry for attention in Pithamagan, and as an actor better than the man who showed us that multiple split personality means growing stringy hair, or dyeing them and breaking into glasses in muscle spasm and growl like....hmmm, rabid wolf, Hulk?

Maddy, I understand. :D

Plum
29th July 2009, 11:26 AM
Huh, groucho, thought we agreed that Thambi was a script that tried to rise out of the mediocre? I really thought that it was Maddy who let the script down

groucho070
29th July 2009, 11:53 AM
Plum, forgive my dying brain cells, but I thought I said the film is mediocre, and Madhavan made it worthwhile. Appadithaane sonnen. I even said that it could have been an ordinary gangster movie, with even attempting to be a MR movie, but Madhavan salvaged it. Tappa purinjiteengga-nu nenekkiren. Or, I had become Vikram/Shankar's version of MSP and wrote glowing review on the films script somewhere before. It did have a unique approach, compared to other violence-themed films of our times, and that uniqueness hinged on Madhavan's character. And he pulled it off brilliantly.

crajkumar_be
29th July 2009, 11:56 AM
Plum,
Indha madhiri yaarukkavadhu maathi appraisal pottutteengala? :twisted:

Plum
29th July 2009, 12:00 PM
groucho, thEdi edukkarEn. I thought we surely agreed that the script didnt let Maddy down as Maddy(here) says. My opinion was it was Maddy who let down the script, and yours was he lived up to the script. This wasnt a case of Maddy rising out of the script.

CR -:lol: - thozhil ragasiyathai ellAm kEttukittu :evil:

groucho070
29th July 2009, 12:22 PM
Teedunggo. Enakkum konja naala gnabaga marathi. Weekend Scottish beverage ration kuraikkanum poola irukku. :confused2:

Plum
29th July 2009, 01:00 PM
Teedunggo. Enakkum konja naala gnabaga marathi. Weekend Scottish beverage ration kuraikkanum poola irukku. :confused2:

:lol:, and what about me - scottish beverage thuNai illamalE maradhi pichikittiu Odudhu...

Hulkster
29th July 2009, 01:13 PM

:lol2: Lets hope kandasamy is not his style of dasa-avatharam. While Kamal did put on too many unnecessary roles, he has the ability to make them look realistic, Vikram :banghead:

HonestRaj
29th July 2009, 06:53 PM
Frankly speaking, pooja outshone Arya in NK. After watching Sarvam, I am convinced that he cant act even if his life depends on it.

Vikram would have been the ideal choice and would have made a wonderful aghori :thumbsup:

:exactly: he is the hero version of santhanam........no modulation, nothing

Nerd
29th July 2009, 07:22 PM
Pithamagan Vikram (though not a fan of his characterization) >> Thambi Maddy (though I haven't seen thambi).

Pithamagan is a Bala film for God's sake! Thambbrri ellaam :lol2:

HonestRaj
29th July 2009, 10:37 PM
Can someone share these details:

"Kadhal Mannan" Gemini Ganesan

1) Whats his period in TFI as lead actor
2) Is he versatile... means.. how many different characters he has done?
3) what was his hit %
4) how many films he has done as a solo hero / lead character?
5) ethanai padangal Sivaji / MGR oda nadichu oppethunaru

------------

indha keLvigal thangalukke vedikkayaga illai'nu silar ennai ketkalam...

but I thought of comparing the no. 3's of different era..... u know with whom I want to compare Gemini.....

I guess.. there are no HC Gemini fans in Hub.. :wink:

------------

Vivasaayi
29th July 2009, 10:41 PM

I like gemini very much...IMHO He is better in romance and comedy than any other hero of that period...by miles.

HonestRaj
29th July 2009, 10:46 PM

I like gemini very much...IMHO He is better in romance and comedy than any other hero of that period...by miles.

y this IMHO vikki ..

but .. is it possible to get the stats I asked.. atleast how many films he acted with Sivaji & MGR

Vivasaayi
29th July 2009, 11:21 PM

y this IMHO vikki ..

ungalukke theriyum...matha heroes pathi theriyama aravekatuthanama eludhadha...apdinu mathavanga soldradhuku munadi..nane mundhikiten...

groucho070
30th July 2009, 07:52 AM
Can someone share these details:

"Kadhal Mannan" Gemini GanesanSome facts and opinions here (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1813718)

HR's question and my opinion.
1) Whats his period in TFI as lead actor
50s to the end of 70s. Lesser films in the 70s. Check out his lead role, over NT's supporting one, in Unakkaaga Naan.

2) Is he versatile... means.. how many different characters he has done?
If there was no NT in TFI, he is definitely a versatile actor. But NT vanthu versatility-kku puthu artham koduthu kariyattai kedututaaru :lol: An able actor. Koduttathai katchithamaa senjiduvaaru (this expression was used by a hubber on a current star).

3) what was his hit %
Ithukku Murali-sar poola pundits thaan bathil sollanum.

4) how many films he has done as a solo hero / lead character?
A lot. See the link.

5) ethanai padangal Sivaji / MGR oda nadichu oppethunaru
Plenty with NT. One with MGR (Muharasi). I believe Muthuraman too did one film with MGR (En Annan). Why ah?

but I thought of comparing the no. 3's of different era..... u know with whom I want to compare Gemini.....
Sari, sari. Puriyuthu. Maybe one day I shall do a comparative amateur piece on GG and VK, but I have not seen enough films of theirs to justify the writing.

They are around, lurking in darkness, avoiding a brush with NT or MGR fans, waiting for right time for these two fans to clash, and take advantage of it, move in and rule the HUB!!!!

NOV
30th July 2009, 07:59 AM
add: He was K Balachander's favoured hero for many films in the 60s.

Baama Vijayam, Iru Kodugal, Kaviya Thalaivi, Velli Vizha, Naan Avan Illai, etc.

NOV
30th July 2009, 08:04 AM
another hero of the 80s who is still acting now.... ARJUN

MADDY
30th July 2009, 08:47 AM
another hero of the 80s who is still acting now.... ARJUN

yeah, Arjun Sarja had a fabulous career as per his standards.......needless to say Gentleman was his turning point......the thing i like abt him is - he didnt resort to cheap/quick masalas after gentleman to compete with rajini/kamal....he knew his limits and acted decently until 2000s.....

hamid
30th July 2009, 10:20 AM
Is it only about the hero actors??

I think Raghuvaran could have been used a lot better.. He had the talent.. But almost all of it was wasted in villan roles which he did the most

HonestRaj
30th July 2009, 10:30 PM
:ty: Grouch.. ippodhaiku irukkatum... ennaikavadhu time kedacha..
konjam statisticala analyse panraen .. (like I did for Sarathkumar :mrgreen: :wink: )

Sarna
31st July 2009, 07:31 PM
I can't agree enough with this, Nerd. He has tremendous screen presence and is actually infinitely better than Ajith/Vijay when it comes to playing "massy" roles .

:shock: konja naalaikku munnakka surya'nu sollittirundheenga.... ippa vikram ...aduththu yaaru ? vishal'aa :?

Plum
31st July 2009, 07:34 PM
sarna, avaru Surya < Vikram-nu sollaliye...
Vikram, Surya> Ajith, Vijay-nu dhaane solli irukkaar. kootti kazhichu paartha kaNakku sariyAvE varudhu...

equanimus
31st July 2009, 07:45 PM
Sarna,
Plum has clarified on my behalf, just adding one more point. I certainly like Surya more than Vikram, but that doesn't mean I'd automatically put him ahead of Vikram in all respects. Here, I was talking about screen presence, and I think Surya hasn't done anything like a 'Saamy'.

And about Vijay and Ajith, let me not mince words. I think they are non-starters.

Plum
31st July 2009, 07:49 PM
but that doesn't mean I'd automatically put him ahead of Vikram in all respects.

absoleetly...naan pOtta equation-la kooda apdi oru implication illai....apdinuu ungaLukku purinjirikkum irundhaalum clarify paNNa vEndiyadhu en kadamai!

Sarna
31st July 2009, 08:03 PM
Sarna,
Here, I was talking about screen presence

And about Vijay and Ajith, let me not mince words. I think they are non-starters.

idhellaam 100000 much'nga .....

Vivasaayi
31st July 2009, 08:07 PM
When it comes to screen presence..its Ajith all the way.Billa,attagasam etc

Vikram also has a good screen presence and surya is starting to have that charisma.

VENKIRAJA
31st July 2009, 08:09 PM
When it comes to screen presence..its Ajith all the way.Billa,attagasam etc

Vikram also has a good screen presence and surya is starting to have that charisma.

vandhu ninnAlE pOdhum. Billa varaikkum kooda vENAm.. Varalaaru-la interval scene-la :smokesmirk: In his own league!

Raikkonen
31st July 2009, 08:25 PM
Sarna,
Plum has clarified on my behalf, just adding one more point. I certainly like Surya more than Vikram, but that doesn't mean I'd automatically put him ahead of Vikram in all respects. Here, I was talking about screen presence, and I think Surya hasn't done anything like a 'Saamy'.

beetiful.. extraadinary... marvalas.. :x

Plum
31st July 2009, 08:25 PM
equa ushaara gundu pOttuttu, logout paNNittu poyittar

Nerd
31st July 2009, 08:33 PM
Ada, ellArukkum Ajith, Vijay, Rajini, Kamal, Sivaji, MGR pudikkumnu ethirpArkkalaamaa? To each his own :P

Vivasaayi
31st July 2009, 08:35 PM
But vijay mass dialogue pesum bodhuthan iskool payyan sound vidra maadhiri oru feeling...

he should resort to boy next door image...

Nerd
31st July 2009, 08:38 PM
Mass dialogues - intha generation-la Vikram dhaan, my opinion. He has got the voice (and modulation/body languvEj). Even Surya was not bad in Aaru (def-ly not in Vel).

Raikkonen
31st July 2009, 08:39 PM
Ada, ellArukkum Ajith, Vijay, Rajini, Kamal, Sivaji, MGR pudikkumnu ethirpArkkalaamaa? To each his own :P

really???? :shock: then

vijay rocks
surya sucks..

imo..

Vivasaayi
31st July 2009, 08:40 PM
Mass dialogues - intha generation-la Vikram dhaan, my opinion. He has got the voice (and modulation/body languvEj). Even Surya was not bad in Aaru (def-ly not in Vel).

:exactly:

nee koodarathukkulla nulayura ottagamna..paathutrukak naan onnum bacha illa

Balaspike
31st July 2009, 11:14 PM

really???? :shock: then

vijay rocks
surya sucks..

imo..

nerd sonnathula surya payrae illa.

aana suryava thitirikkeenga.
yan surya mayla ivalavu gaandu?

Thirumaran
31st July 2009, 11:22 PM
equa ushaara gundu pOttuttu, logout paNNittu poyittar

:rotfl2: moderator aagura thaguthi avarukkum vanthiduchu :lol2:

m_23_bayarea
31st July 2009, 11:27 PM

MADDY
1st August 2009, 08:15 AM
vandhu ninnAlE pOdhum. Billa varaikkum kooda vENAm.. Varalaaru-la interval scene-la :smokesmirk: In his own league!

:thumbsup: Ajith has great charisma and onscreen presence......the way he carries kandukondein*2 along with thalaivar ( :P ) is a testimony to his charisma/onscreen presence.....and yea, Billa - he looks and breathes like a DON - so majestic........villain, varalaru ellam scope-e illa......yes as venki said, vandhu ninnale podhum......and AJith has excellent english u know - he doesent have shades of kiddo, sudo language at all..... :P

yes, they are "main course" :thumbsup:

cutting the joke, theres a bit of understanding and deeper analysis required of the dynamics of tamil films in B and C centres........acting talent and great performances dont neccessarily ensure ringing of cash registers.....infact, i would say, the definition of good performances, good films, starters and non-starters change in the world of B and C centres......i mean for you, MGR should also be a non-starter , if i;m not wrong but do u know i still vote for "double leaves" in any elections for him :P (thats just one of the reasons ofcourse).....though its a democratic abuse, i find the charisma and charm of puratchi thalaivar having such a impact on me......if u remember the sequence in Iruvar - where prakash raj shows Mohanlal the crowd that gathers for him........u know thats what a mass hero is - he may not be the greatest talent but the face/charisma/charm strikes chord with millions of hearts.....ours being primarily a under-educated society and most of hardcore cinema mongers are from lower strata, the parameters for achieving this mass-dom is quite interesting......these parameters may be totally opposite to the ones for deciding a good talent.........Surya for all his talent, looks always would require a good script to support his BO status and kamal is just a mix of great talent and mass-charisma......otherwise, i dont have examples of good talents enjoying great BO success......a non-starter in ur world maybe the superstar in B and C centres u know... :)

having said all these, i dont think Ajith can be classified as a bad actor.....its not that he is completely a mass hero sans talent...look at villain, varalaru, billa, vaali - if u dont find talent, then u dont want to find it.......that holds good a large extent for MGR too.......i cant think of any Tom-dick-harry who can do king roles better than puratchi thalaivar......why MGR is a very good actor IMO is a completely different arguement that i would like to take sometime later......

Vivasaayi
1st August 2009, 08:39 AM
Maddy,

I too like MGR as a king better than other heroes(except karnan,uthamaputhiran shivaji).He has that charm and maintains his cool in those charecters.

And yes..in iruvar one could feel the "mass" of MGR.

"unmaya pesa theriyum"
"theriyum"
"manasula pattadha pesa theriyum"
"theriyum"

pullarichuduchu...

Coming to surya...I dont think anyone would call him a charismatic mass hero...Just people rate him as the best actor among the current generation heroes...

MADDY
1st August 2009, 08:53 AM
"unmaya pesa theriyum"
"theriyum"
"manasula pattadha pesa theriyum"
"theriyum"

pullarichuduchu...

yea, Iruvar had some spellbinding moments :) ......

Coming to surya...I dont think anyone would call him a charismatic mass hero...Just people rate him as the best actor among the current generation heroes...

yea - true......i was just trying to understand why Ajith/Vijay are non-starters as per equa......i meant, we need differnt view for these mass heroes

Karikalen
2nd August 2009, 04:42 AM
In my opinion 2 Tamil stars who deserved to go further were Jayshanker and Karthik. Both had the looks and talent to go with it.

app_engine
2nd August 2009, 08:27 AM
theres a bit of understanding and deeper analysis required of the dynamics of tamil films in B and C centres........acting talent and great performances dont neccessarily ensure ringing of cash registers..........otherwise, i dont have examples of good talents enjoying great BO success......a non-starter in ur world maybe the superstar in B and C centres u know... :) ......

People in Chennai think that ONLY they can understand "acting talent and performance" and all those in so-called "B / C" centers are idiots.

Heights of arrogance :-(

Talent and BO success (ABC..XYZ centers of TN) : Sivaji / Kamal / Rajini / IR !

Till 90's, per my observation, 90% of Chennai people didn't even have as good dress sense as 90% of CBE people :-) And they talk about other places as B / C centers :-)

Even today, most Chennai people speak HORRIBLE Thamizh , adhu enna osaththi taesttu?

MADDY
2nd August 2009, 08:40 AM
theres a bit of understanding and deeper analysis required of the dynamics of tamil films in B and C centres........acting talent and great performances dont neccessarily ensure ringing of cash registers..........otherwise, i dont have examples of good talents enjoying great BO success......a non-starter in ur world maybe the superstar in B and C centres u know... :) ......

People in Chennai think that ONLY they can understand "acting talent and performance" and all those in B / C centers are idiots.

Heights of arrogance :-(

though ur allegations are extreme and off-target, i would like to respond to this, Chennai also has B and C centres........Melody cinemas in heart of the city is not a A centre theater by any stretch of imagination.......Chennai being a big city has suburbs too - which are always considered C centres too like nanganallur-velan, madipakkam-kumaran, ambattur-rakki etc etc......

Talent and BO success (ABC..XYZ centers of TN) : Sivaji / Kamal / Rajini / IR !

i know IR had some brief "self-appreciatory" appearances in movies but that doesent make him a actor......i was just talking abt actors, infact heroes.....

Till 90's, per my observation, 90% of Chennai people didn't even have as good dress sense as 90% of CBE people :-) And they talk about other places as B / C centers :-)

now who is being arrogant?? whats ur problem - app ?? i see u r totally off target in ur accusations and make outrageous comparisons and allegations built out of this assumption........btw, u know something, CBE is one of the first thalaivar's conquered locations, i would say much before chennai........so i do understand that CBE has much more western outlook than chennai......idhula enna irukku.....

Even today, most Chennai people speak HORRIBLE Thamizh , adhu enna osaththi taesttu?

honestly - WE MUST MAkE U A MOD :x i never knew u were so SICK

app_engine
2nd August 2009, 08:59 AM
Maddy,
Calling me sick is fine :-)

In any case, it's better than stereotyping people outside a stinky city as tasteless B / C graders :-(

MADDY
2nd August 2009, 09:26 AM
In any case, it's better than stereotyping people outside a stinky city as tasteless B / C graders :-(

astounding - i told chennai too has B and C centres, so it clearly means i'm not slotting centres based on cities......Madurai or trichy should have their own A centres.........Chennai has B and C centres too....

Sarna
2nd August 2009, 05:18 PM
People in Chennai think that ONLY they can understand "acting talent and performance" and all those in so-called "B / C" centers are idiots.

chennai = mini-tamilnad :)

but majority people(with more money flow) in cities spend more money on entertainment things.... even a new-comer movie will have house-full show(at least in one theatre) on day one or weekends ....

but mass movies(or mindless movies as per elite people) like CM/Sivaji were the biggest hits so far in chennai 8-) add Dasa also 8-)

but many great movies were collossal flops in chennai .... kanchipuram(movie name) theatre'la release'E aagala :P

viraajan
2nd August 2009, 09:19 PM
Karthik, Prabhu :cool2:

Charming heroes :yes:

viraajan
2nd August 2009, 09:21 PM
but many great movies were collossal flops in chennai .... kanchipuram(movie name) theatre'la release'E aagala :P

though they said that Kanchivaram is not for theatrical release (means, only for film festivals), Kanchivaram was released in the month of March I think. It ran for a week in chennai :P

I wanted to watch this movie in Theater. :cry: Before I could work out a plan, the movie ran out of theaters :lol:

VinodKumar's
2nd August 2009, 09:24 PM

chennai = mini-tamilnad :)

but majority people(with more money flow) in cities spend more money on entertainment things.... even a new-comer movie will have house-full show(at least in one theatre) on day one or weekends ....

but mass movies(or mindless movies as per elite people) like CM/Sivaji were the biggest hits so far in chennai 8-) add Dasa also 8-)

periya periya panakaranga theatreukku varathae avanga vaangirukka car ah velila kamikirathukum weekend enna pannuninganu ketta Mayajaal ponomnu sollurathukum thaana ...

avangalam nama cinema fans kanakula kooda sethikka koodathu ....

viraajan
2nd August 2009, 09:31 PM
periya periya panakaranga theatreukku varathae avanga vaangirukka car ah velila kamikirathukum weekend enna pannuninganu ketta Mayajaal ponomnu sollurathukum thaana ...

Disagree :P

Car vanginadha kaamikka edhukku theaterku pOganum? :P

Raikkonen
2nd August 2009, 09:36 PM

i like both of them very much.. :thumbsup:

karthik was almost as famous rajni during amaran's release here.. the hype it created was great and the songs are famous (till today!)..

he should have been bigger.. really.

prabhu was never a big star..but he's good in everything.. comedy, dance, aaksan, sentiment..

VENKIRAJA
2nd August 2009, 09:38 PM
Ramki, anyone?

VinodKumar's
2nd August 2009, 09:42 PM

oru utharanathukku sonna appdiyavae eduthukarathu ...mayajaal la vara kootatha konjam parunga pasangala thavira vera yarum padam pakka vantha mariyae irruka matanga ...

athuvum satyam la veru mozhi padathukku poninga enakkum gal frnd irrukunu kamikirathukunae neriya per varanga ..

avangala ketta i like only class movies panunga aana imran hashmi padam pathutu varuvanunga :banghead:

viraajan
2nd August 2009, 09:47 PM

karthik was almost as famous rajni during amaran's release here.. the hype it created was great and the songs are famous (till today!)..

prabhu was never a big star..but he's good in everything.. comedy, dance, aaksan, sentiment..

Innikku "Suyamvaram" nu padathula comedy scene pAthen... Karthik'oda mannerism, boyd language, dialouge delivery was amazing :thumbsup: That's what made me post here... Even tho this is just a part of what he used to do in 80s...

And there was a movie, i forgot the name, Karthik and Janakaraj in lead. Wow.... Supera nadichirupparu... Particulary in the scene he acts as both a muslim guy and a christian. Voice Modulation, Dialogue delivery romba pramadhama irukkum. Ithanaikum adhu ore shot i think. :clap:

Ahn... Unnidathil Ennai Koduthen climax acting pathi pesanuma enna :bow:

viraajan
2nd August 2009, 09:50 PM

oru utharanathukku sonna appdiyavae eduthukarathu ...mayajaal la vara kootatha konjam parunga pasangala thavira vera yarum padam pakka vantha mariyae irruka matanga ...

athuvum satyam la veru mozhi padathukku poninga enakkum gal frnd irrukunu kamikirathukunae neriya per varanga ..

avangala ketta i like only class movies panunga aana imran hashmi padam pathutu varuvanunga :banghead:

idhuvum udharanathukku sonneenga'nu nenaichuttu vidaren :P

Raikkonen
2nd August 2009, 09:54 PM
Ramki, anyone?

i did mention his name actually.. but was rejeeted on the very next post by one of the pundits here..

VENKIRAJA
2nd August 2009, 10:52 PM
Ramki, anyone?

i did mention his name actually.. but was rejeeted on the very next post by one of the pundits here..

right-u. waitees utruvOm. mudeela...

Thalafanz
3rd August 2009, 06:10 AM
Ramki, anyone?

Btw, how come noone wants to mention Ramarajan??? So sad... :(

groucho070
3rd August 2009, 07:03 AM
Coming to surya...I dont think anyone would call him a charismatic mass hero...Just people rate him as the best actor among the current generation heroes...Not me :D Unless I am not people.

NOV
3rd August 2009, 07:09 AM
Coming to surya...I dont think anyone would call him a charismatic mass hero...Just people rate him as the best actor among the current generation heroes...Not me :D Unless I am not people.of course not. :lol2:

btw, exception proves the rule :rotfl:

groucho070
3rd August 2009, 07:17 AM
Great to be one in billions. :twisted:

NOV
3rd August 2009, 07:20 AM
Great to be one in billions. :twisted::notthatway:
millions not billions
thousands not one.

btw those thousands are kept in well protected facilities. :lol2:

MADDY
3rd August 2009, 07:26 AM
btw those thousands are kept in well protected facilities. :lol2:

u mean HUB :poke:

NOV, we need a poll for "best actor amongst current generation" :yes: ......i really want to see how much support surya has here.......naa ready, neenga ready-a :P

ajaybaskar
3rd August 2009, 07:30 AM
Ajith will win by miles!!!

NOV
3rd August 2009, 07:38 AM
btw those thousands are kept in well protected facilities. :lol2:u mean HUB I guess majority like surya... hub is a reflection of the real world - at least the urban world.

edhukku poll maddy, it will only be a gauge of favourites. everyone has their fav actor - live and let live. :D

groucho070
3rd August 2009, 07:45 AM
hub is a reflection of the real world - at least the urban world. :rotfl: :rotfl3: OMG!!!! This I gotta tell the people. Oh man...what a way to start August. :lol:

MADDY
3rd August 2009, 07:46 AM
everyone has their fav actor - live and let live. :D

now, this understanding is totally missing - thats my point :) .....

NOV
3rd August 2009, 07:49 AM
rakesh, faciltykku thayaar pOla :lol:

whats your point again sudhir? :lol2:

MADDY
3rd August 2009, 08:10 AM

"my taste superior than urs and is "the fact"" actually causes all such problems i meant :P

VENKIRAJA
3rd August 2009, 10:25 AM

"my taste superior than urs and is "the fact"" actually causes all such problems i meant :P

thalivar vAzgha!

VENKIRAJA
3rd August 2009, 10:26 AM
hub is a reflection of the real world - at least the urban world. :rotfl: :rotfl3: OMG!!!! This I gotta tell the people. Oh man...what a way to start August. :lol:

:rotfl3:
Only NOV fossifle

NOV
3rd August 2009, 10:28 AM
:roll:

kid-glove
3rd August 2009, 10:37 AM
Nasser.

He should have tried more full fledged lead roles after Avatharam, but couldn't muster. He had it in.

groucho070
3rd August 2009, 11:52 AM
There was a long held belief that Nasser was a good, in fact, great actor. But it sizzled out. He is pretty limited as an actor, and does not have that leading man's extra something. A fine character artiste and being in Kamal's good book, he gets good roles (Avvai Shanmugi really showed his comic side).

Avatharam was fine, boosted by IR and his music (voice was perfect match). Mathapadi, Nasser is doing good as supporting player with extra weight.

kid-glove
3rd August 2009, 12:04 PM
I partly disagree, or should I say I only agree with this,

A fine character artiste and being in Kamal's good book, he gets good roles (Avvai Shanmugi really showed his comic side).

equanimus
3rd August 2009, 01:56 PM
cutting the joke, theres a bit of understanding and deeper analysis required of the dynamics of tamil films in B and C centres........acting talent and great performances dont neccessarily ensure ringing of cash registers.....
I don't mean to say it sets cash registers ring. I'm saying who, I think, has greater screen presence, not what the general audience thinks, or what people from some kind of "centre" think. idhukku mEla deeper analysis paNNa nAn muRpadavE illa.

and AJith has excellent english u know - he doesent have shades of kiddo, sudo language at all..... :P
Like I said earlier, idhu enakkuch chErAdhu. :)

otherwise, i dont have examples of good talents enjoying great BO success......a non-starter in ur world maybe the superstar in B and C centres u know... :)
I'm not sure if you realise you're doing a complete cop-out here. You come close to acknowledging that most of the superstars are not "good talents." Surely, you should be making a stronger case than this?

ours being primarily a under-educated society and most of hardcore cinema mongers are from lower strata, the parameters for achieving this mass-dom is quite interesting......these parameters may be totally opposite to the ones for deciding a good talent.........
Of course, I can't argue against this. I'm talking about the actors I like. My choices can't necessarily match with the overall stardom of those actors. But I must say, I think being an "under-educated society" or being from "lower strata" has nothing to do with this. To put it differently, I don't think it cripples the film-goers of Tamilnadu (or any other state) in any sense.

having said all these, i dont think Ajith can be classified as a bad actor.....its not that he is completely a mass hero sans talent...look at villain, varalaru, billa, vaali - if u dont find talent, then u dont want to find it.......that holds good a large extent for MGR too.......i cant think of any Tom-dick-harry who can do king roles better than puratchi thalaivar......why MGR is a very good actor IMO is a completely different arguement that i would like to take sometime later......
idhu matter. idhaith thAnE nInga seyyaNum... idhukkuth thAnE indha forum irukku.

MADDY
3rd August 2009, 04:26 PM
I don't mean to say it sets cash registers ring. I'm saying who, I think, has greater screen presence, not what the general audience thinks, or what people from some kind of "centre" think. idhukku mEla deeper analysis paNNa nAn muRpadavE illa.

I'm not sure if you realise you're doing a complete cop-out here. You come close to acknowledging that most of the superstars are not "good talents." Surely, you should be making a stronger case than this?

well, ofcourse i should have specified "acting" talent in the second para......i firmly believe that though rajini is a great acting talent he became a superstar for his style and other reasons more than acting prowess......

Of course, I can't argue against this. I'm talking about the actors I like. My choices can't necessarily match with the overall stardom of those actors. But I must say, I think being an "under-educated society" or being from "lower strata" has nothing to do with this. To put it differently, I don't think it cripples the film-goers of Tamilnadu (or any other state) in any sense.

i dont think you can pass off a DevD in TN ever......not just DevD, any good cinema without cinematic compromises.........even our best of best like kaadhal, mudhal mariyadhai, paruthiveeran have lots of cinematic compromises.......i think that has to do a lot with education etc....i could be wrong...

idhu matter. idhaith thAnE nInga seyyaNum... idhukkuth thAnE indha forum irukku.

yea true, MGR stood his own in the age of dramatisation.......though he had his shares of horrible/naive expressions - he largely stood his ground...............he was like a counterpoint to the extreme acting we saw those days.....

wat i tried to tell u was - surya maybe gold but i need silicon for making PCs - u know :lol2:

kid-glove
3rd August 2009, 04:29 PM
even our best of best like kaadhal, mudhal mariyadhai, paruthiveeran have lots of cinematic compromises :lol:

equanimus
3rd August 2009, 05:09 PM
i dont think you can pass off a DevD in TN ever......not just DevD, any good cinema without cinematic compromises.........even our best of best like kaadhal, mudhal mariyadhai, paruthiveeran have lots of cinematic compromises.......i think that has to do a lot with education etc....i could be wrong...
Quite honestly, I don't even understand what makes a "cinematic compromise." Is it what the filmmaker adds to his film because the "uneducated" film-goer expects it to be there? If yes, are the urban watchers free of such expectations? Personally I think a lot of people give just way too much credit to the multiplex audience with little reason. It just so happens that 'Dev D' was a multiplex hit. What happened to Kashyap's previous films? So did he compromise on some fronts with 'No Smoking'? Or should we call it an "artistic failure" because we didn't see/like it?

Plum
3rd August 2009, 05:39 PM
Personally I think a lot of people give just way too much credit to the multiplex audience with little reason
That is a very important point. The way people go about it, one would think Dev D was the undisputably greatest ever movie made in Indian history.

P_R
3rd August 2009, 05:41 PM
Yeah let's muse on that tangent a bit. Second half put me to sleep 'ngren

equanimus
3rd August 2009, 05:52 PM
I too didn't find 'Dev D' all that good. I certainly liked it, but like PR, had reservations about the second half of the film. I found it quite repetitive. And with 'Gulaal,' I've finally learnt to treat Kashyap's films with more poise.

MADDY
3rd August 2009, 06:16 PM
Quite honestly, I don't even understand what makes a "cinematic compromise."

songs/comedy scenes for the sake of it - completely unsupportive of narration.......ex: for kaadhal we had that comedy, which was very good, but totally unavoidable......the carnatic song which priyamani sings in PV and the fights sequences etc....in a movie like naan kadavul too, the medley thingy is such a "off".......i firmly believe that these off-script things are added to please audience.....

i just took DevD - which was a brilliant piece of work in the recent times with ground breaking music..........i never mentioned, multiplex movies and i never said good films always work in Hindi......i just said, there is a "educated" audience, which atleast reassures the moviemakers in hindi to attempt such ventures......

MADDY
3rd August 2009, 06:21 PM
Personally I think a lot of people give just way too much credit to the multiplex audience with little reason
That is a very important point. The way people go about it, one would think Dev D was the undisputably greatest ever movie made in Indian history.

It is, One of the..

equanimus
3rd August 2009, 06:53 PM
songs/comedy scenes for the sake of it - completely unsupportive of narration.......ex: for kaadhal we had that comedy, which was very good, but totally unavoidable......the carnatic song which priyamani sings in PV and the fights sequences etc....in a movie like naan kadavul too, the medley thingy is such a "off".......i firmly believe that these off-beat things are added to please audience.....
Yeah, I see where you're coming from. But I subscribe to the school of thought which actually encourages such compromises as far as the director is able to attract greater audience and make them watch what he wants to show. This is where the question of what's a compromise and what's not, surfaces, and I think there's no clear line of distinction. In the context of Tamil cinema, let's just say the narrative interruptions don't bother me all that much. (I agree that only a few directors use songs well though.)

And more importantly, I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to insist on a Hollywood-like narrative. Let there be no unnecessary songs, comedy scenes etc. And then what? padam nallA irukkaNumE.

Plum
3rd August 2009, 07:00 PM
Whats education got to do with it anyway?
(I have, like, some eye-catching qualifications academically but I wouldnt probably rank along certain 10th fails I know in terms of Cinema appreciation)

Nerd
3rd August 2009, 07:07 PM
Plum, kamalahaasan-a dhaanE solreenga? :P

Plum
3rd August 2009, 07:12 PM
1. Kamal 10th varaikkum padichaara?
2. I dont know Kamal personally
:-)
But that's a good example of why education or social status has got nothing to do with it. As Bala(CR) often used to point out in his blog, he knows many from the lower strata, who could observe and appreciate nuances in Kamal films that many of the privileged sections cant.

Shakthiprabha
3rd August 2009, 07:13 PM
It seems they say "in rome be roman" else "class A" taste alone wont be enough to feed the movie-maker. Get even to talk everyone's language. Let each grab what they want.

kid-glove
3rd August 2009, 07:15 PM
observe and appreciate nuances in Kamal films that many of the privileged sects cant.

Oh...

MADDY
3rd August 2009, 07:52 PM
songs/comedy scenes for the sake of it - completely unsupportive of narration.......ex: for kaadhal we had that comedy, which was very good, but totally unavoidable......the carnatic song which priyamani sings in PV and the fights sequences etc....in a movie like naan kadavul too, the medley thingy is such a "off".......i firmly believe that these off-beat things are added to please audience.....
Yeah, I see where you're coming from. But I subscribe to the school of thought which actually encourages such compromises as far as the director is able to attract greater audience and make them watch what he wants to show. This is where the question of what's a compromise and what's not, surfaces, and I think there's no clear line of distinction. In the context of Tamil cinema, let's just say the narrative interruptions don't bother me all that much. (I agree that only a few directors use songs well though.)

infact, if you look at my initial arguement, i have said the same thing - lesser sensibilities but greater reach........which is why i said, a mass hero neednt be a great actor , because he has to bring people to theaters......compromise on acting skills to show more massy stuff.....

And more importantly, I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to insist on a Hollywood-like narrative. Let there be no unnecessary songs, comedy scenes etc. And then what? padam nallA irukkaNumE.

nah , u r right......we need our own identity but lets also move away from our cliches........honestly, we have been beating around the bush for too long

P_R
3rd August 2009, 08:11 PM
But I subscribe to the school of thought which actually encourages such compromises as far as the director is able to attract greater audience and make them watch what he wants to show. Well ...we are being 'kind' to the filmmaker in assuming the 'better' parts of the film are all that he wanted to show and the 'lesser' parts are what he did to get people to watch.

In a no-compromise world, Goundamani would not exist. But having said that, I will not say that this cultural identity thing is a cop-out. Its not as if we are making ThillAna moganaambaaLs and Maqbools every year.

The best of the films are still edgy and at best comparable to second grade...I am going to say the bad word ..Hollywood films.

And I don't mean production values, no indigeneous flavour stuff. Just plain simple writing. There is a world of a difference and that doesn't seem likely to be bridged anytime soon.

MADDY
3rd August 2009, 08:13 PM
Whats education got to do with it anyway?
(I have, like, some eye-catching qualifications academically but I wouldnt probably rank along certain 10th fails I know in terms of Cinema appreciation)

naa 7-avadhu pass-nne :P

my bad - i should take that statement and that line of arguement back..........education neednt always be directly propotional to cinematic taste.......there is a section of audience in TN which commands compromises from directors but yea they all neednt be uneducated.......

Plum
3rd August 2009, 08:13 PM
"And I don't mean production values, no indigeneous flavour stuff. Just plain simple writing."
Expand this. Interesting. Please expand this.

Plum
3rd August 2009, 08:17 PM
infact, if you look at my initial arguement, i have said the same thing - lesser sensibilities but greater reach........which is why i said, a mass hero neednt be a great actor , because he has to bring people to theaters......compromise on acting skills to show more massy stuff.....

To what end, Maddy? Movie-la compromise irukkaradhu ok, but movie-E compromise-A irukkaradhu dhaane namma true-blue Mass hero movies.
(You take a movie like Thambi, it is massy, but isnt a true blue Ajith/Vijay movie - it works at atleast one more level, except that I maintain that maddy let it down, but the intent could be seen)

Also, do you really think our mass heroes(let's exclude, say maddy surya and the likes) are compromising on acting skills? Chattila irukkungareengaLA?

HonestRaj
3rd August 2009, 08:25 PM

Innikku "Suyamvaram" nu padathula comedy scene pAthen... Karthik'oda mannerism, boyd language, dialouge delivery was amazing :thumbsup: That's what made me post here... Even tho this is just a part of what he used to do in 80s...

And there was a movie, i forgot the name, Karthik and Janakaraj in lead. Wow.... Supera nadichirupparu... Particulary in the scene he acts as both a muslim guy and a christian. Voice Modulation, Dialogue delivery romba pramadhama irukkum. Ithanaikum adhu ore shot i think. :clap:

Ahn... Unnidathil Ennai Koduthen climax acting pathi pesanuma enna :bow:

dig//
Suyamvaram padathula.. periyannan role'la Captain nadikkiradha irundhadhu :)

end//

equanimus
3rd August 2009, 08:28 PM
But I subscribe to the school of thought which actually encourages such compromises as far as the director is able to attract greater audience and make them watch what he wants to show. Well ...we are being 'kind' to the filmmaker in assuming the 'better' parts of the film are all that he wanted to show and the 'lesser' parts are what he did to get people to watch.
This is exactly what I was saying in the following lines:

This is where the question of what's a compromise and what's not, surfaces, and I think there's no clear line of distinction.

But having said that, I will not say that this cultural identity thing is a cop-out. Its not as if we are making ThillAna moganaambaaLs and Maqbools every year.
I'm not sure I got this. Did you mean to say it *is* a cop-out (which seems to be more in sync with the rest of your comment)?

The best of the films are still edgy and at best comparable to second grade...I am going to say the bad word ..Hollywood films.

And I don't mean production values, no indigeneous flavour stuff. Just plain simple writing. There is a world of a difference and that doesn't seem likely to be bridged anytime soon.
Of course, the difference is infinite. (I mean, what are we even talking about?! You can't make this comparison without laughing silly about it.) The point is not whether we're capable of making films anywhere near as good as Hollywood but whether it's worth trying to model our films like theirs.

P_R
3rd August 2009, 10:54 PM
Did you mean to say it *is* a cop-out

adhE ! Sentence oru maadhiri construct paNna aarambichu appuram route maariduchu.

MADDY
4th August 2009, 07:23 AM
To what end, Maddy? Movie-la compromise irukkaradhu ok, but movie-E compromise-A irukkaradhu dhaane namma true-blue Mass hero movies.
(You take a movie like Thambi, it is massy, but isnt a true blue Ajith/Vijay movie - it works at atleast one more level, except that I maintain that maddy let it down, but the intent could be seen)

Also, do you really think our mass heroes(let's exclude, say maddy surya and the likes) are compromising on acting skills? Chattila irukkungareengaLA?

i cant talk for vijay here but Ajith has done varied roles in the past few years.......kreedam, Varalaru, and even Billla are pretty different subjects......he has strived to be different all the time - even in 90's, he did vaali.....

yea, wat u say is true - in the mask of bringing people to the theaters, severe crap is being dished at us........i mean, thats how they got used to......thats wat distributors have brainwashed them to do......hopefully failure of such mindless movies will change them.....

MADDY
4th August 2009, 07:31 AM

i dont know if u r including Hindi here......i suggested "no smoking" with subtitles to a american co-worker, who is a above average joe in his vattaram.......avanukku suthhama puriyala, he said story was completely inaccessible to him :bow:...........Anuragji - Indhian, Indhian, Indhian -nnu TR style-la verala sozahtti sollanum-nnu irundhichhu...... :lol:

HonestRaj
6th August 2009, 09:40 PM
sari.. someone preferred to c RAGHUVARAN more.. but now, he is no more..

how about this villain

Anandaraj

had he acted with Kamal :?

groucho070
7th August 2009, 08:02 AM
Anandaraj should have attempted comedy more. Enggeyoo chinna talent irukku. That VK film he did, where he played the assisting Mallu cop (shades of SR in Malabar police) was not bad.

Vivasaayi
7th August 2009, 08:19 AM
Anandaraj should have attempted comedy more. Enggeyoo chinna talent irukku. That VK film he did, where he played the assisting Mallu cop (shades of SR in Malabar police) was not bad.

he was originally selected for amaidhipadai.he is good in comedy.

groucho070
7th August 2009, 08:20 AM

he was originally selected for amaidhipadai.he is good in comedy.Appadiya? For which role?

Vivasaayi
7th August 2009, 08:22 AM
amavasai rolekuthan :)

HonestRaj
10th August 2009, 09:22 PM
amavasai rolekuthan :)

kandi ppa nenachu parkkave mudiyalai :roll: though he is good in Villain roles with nakkal...... Amavasai ellai Nagaraja sozhan mattume panna vendiyadhu :)

I think, he has acted as hero under Manivannan's direction "Government Mapillai" , anyone remember this film --- > Kasthuri as heroine & a clean shaved Manivannan

Plum
10th August 2009, 09:41 PM
he also acted in Kaaval Nilayam as joint-hero with Supreme Star, who was then equal to Anandraj in the hero stakes.

Nerd
10th August 2009, 09:42 PM
Another film in which he played the keerO - David Uncle :lol:

Plum
10th August 2009, 09:44 PM
Nerd, nInga enna vuda periya obscure movie expert-A irukkInga :lol:

P_R
10th August 2009, 09:48 PM
Ippo ellArum Anandraj should have had a better career 'ndreengaLA ?

Plum
10th August 2009, 09:57 PM
illa, fairly fulfilling career he has already had-nu solla vandhaen

HonestRaj
10th August 2009, 10:26 PM
illa, fairly fulfilling career he has already had-nu solla vandhaen

(j/K) evanya ippa ellam thread title parkkuran..... mela irukkiravan enna post pannirukkanu parthuttu ... kuththu madhippa naamalum post panna vendiyadhuthan

-----------------

A genuine kostin:

Which film released 1st:

Cheran Pandiyan
Chinna Gounder

Plum
10th August 2009, 10:27 PM
I think Chinna Gounder

P_R
10th August 2009, 10:28 PM
Cheran Pandiyan was first

P_R