PDA

View Full Version : Ilaiyaraaja's Athiradi Albums Version 2009

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Hulkster
29th July 2009, 07:23 AM
continued from here http://tfmpage.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1858668#1858668
[html:5cc3f1fe58]
http://www.southdreamz.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/ilayaraja-music-director.jpg
[/html:5cc3f1fe58]

Lets discuss the Maestro's albums here.

Hulkster
29th July 2009, 07:55 AM
Finally some samples regarding Chal Chalein. But they are quite short to be judged on.

Loori (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKqDlpIoupc)

Uff Arey Tu Mirch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=przcDbnIUmw)

Sheher Kya Khub (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Efqkuz0tg&feature=related)

Tum Bhi Dhoondana (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpWa1jHkvGE)

Chal Chal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4jACzWBBZU&feature=related)

Batla Dein (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNnNU3T3-8s)

Courtesy of Orkut Chal Chalein Community - Venky

Sureshs65
29th July 2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks Hulk. Too short as you say but the Hariharan song is very touching.

krish244
29th July 2009, 12:15 PM
I liked "Uff arrey tu", "Shehar kya" (did not like the first synth based interlude) and "Tum Bhi dhoondna" (picturisation is done well too). Nothing great though. Need to listen to full versions.

Thanks Hulkster!

thanks,

Krishnan

raagas
29th July 2009, 12:19 PM
Chal Chal begins like a tamil song "Azhagu Malai" or something, whose instrumental version was being played in Live in Italy concert (though it was not there in that cd).

I am compelled to say that The samples are too short to say anything, because the samples are not interesting enough (for the parts heard till now).

Hulkster
29th July 2009, 12:55 PM
No problem guys :D Some of the videos have cut the songs according to the picturisation, i guess the full song is totally different. Hope we get to hear the full versions before the movie releases.

Hulkster
29th July 2009, 01:30 PM
News Regarding Kannukkulley

==================================

இசைஞானிதான் படத்துக்கு இசை. அஞ்சு முத்தான பாடல்கள் மட்டுமில்லாமல், லைவ் இன்ஸ்ட்ரூமென்ட்ஸ் வாசிச்சு மிரட்டியிருக்கார். 'ஒடிக்கிட்டிருக்க படத்தோட உணர்வு என்னங்கிறதை இளையராஜாவோட இசைதான் தீர்மானிக்கும்...'னு எங்க குருநாதர் மகேந்திரன் சார் சொல்வார். அதை நேரடியா பார்க்கறேன். காணாமல் போன குடும்பங்களைத் திரும்பவும் தியேட்டருக்குள்ள கூட்டிவரணும்கிறது என் ஆசை. அதை இந்தப்படம் நிச்சயம் செய்யும்...!"

"கண்ணுக்குள்ளே" பட இயக்குநர் லேனா மூவேந்தர்.

நன்றி: குங்குமம், 06.08.09

Roughly translated in English, Maestro has scored five beautiful songs for the film using live instruments. Director mentions a anecdote by her guru Mahendran who said that Ilaiyaraja's music determines the ambience of the movie and that she is able to see it in person. Her goal is to bring back families who used to see such films back to the cinemas.

A new Film By Ilaiyaraaja in tamil titled "Thandavakkone" (http://www.maalaimalar.com/2009/07/29111455/kathal.html)

All sources courtesy of Orkut Ilaiyaraaja Community - Hearta

krish244
29th July 2009, 02:44 PM
Any news about SRK music? More curious to know how IR-Gulzar
combination has come out.

BTW, the female singer in "Batla de" should be Sunidhi Chauhan and not Shreya Ghosal

thanks,

Krishnan

sudhakarg
29th July 2009, 05:06 PM
Finally some samples regarding Chal Chalein. But they are quite short to be judged on.

Samples sound very good to me!

Hulkster
29th July 2009, 06:45 PM
Any news about SRK music? More curious to know how IR-Gulzar
combination has come out.

BTW, the female singer in "Batla de" should be Sunidhi Chauhan and not Shreya Ghosal

thanks,

Krishnan

Sadly down in the drain except for the trailer. I guess someone in NI should help us with this.

jaiganes
29th July 2009, 08:29 PM
Has M.Venugopal sung more songs for Raaja?
I am in loop with Unarumee gaanam. What a bhavam in the song.. It goes so well with the tender emotions in display!!

Sureshs65
29th July 2009, 09:58 PM
Jai,

I am not too sure. 'Unarumee' is superb. Isn't is G. Venugopal? I may be mistaken though. The only other song where I guess Venugopal has sung is in the interlude of 'Saradendu Paadi' I think.

Sanjeevi
30th July 2009, 12:11 AM
Loved almost all songs which are quite different from his current usual stuffs. Picturisation of all songs are good. There are beats in Chal Cahlein song in different decibels. Ithuvum expeimentu (Tenali kamal style )

Thanks Hulk :)

raja_fan
30th July 2009, 06:58 AM
Has M.Venugopal sung more songs for Raaja?
I am in loop with Unarumee gaanam. What a bhavam in the song.. It goes so well with the tender emotions in display!!

He has sung "Poovaai virinyu" from Adharvam.

crvenky
30th July 2009, 09:59 AM
raja_fan, Poovai virinju is by MG Sreekumar.

Hulkster
30th July 2009, 10:02 AM
Loved almost all songs which are quite different from his current usual stuffs. Picturisation of all songs are good. There are beats in Chal Cahlein song in different decibels. Ithuvum expeimentu (Tenali kamal style )

Thanks Hulk :)

Sanjeevi PlanetMil CD irrukku nu solluraanga. Is it possible for you to check? It is produced under Valiant Music but marketed and distributed by PlanetM. I dunt think they have distributed it overseas.

raja_fan
30th July 2009, 12:40 PM
crvenky, yes I was wrong..

rajasaranam
30th July 2009, 08:43 PM
Iam totally stunned and baffled by the Interludes of 'Chal Chal chalke... its like listening to 'Guns & Roses', Albeit a short version. I just hope one day Raaja goes to the extreme in Rock genre :D listened to other songs only once... This song is gonne be in repeaatu.... mode, while you people enjoy the full songs here: http://www.in.com/music/album-chal-chalein-52511.html
one thing we can understand is Raaja had gone bonkers over this album and have experimented in various genres...If not this what else can woo the northies?!!!

Sureshs65
30th July 2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks RS for the links. No sign of the CD in Bangalore yet.

True, 'Chal Chal' does have very strong rock elements in its interludes. I too wish he goes all out in this genre instead of restraining himself. A nice song.

'Tum Bhi Doondna' has only one para but what a song it is. Outstanding melody.

rajasaranam
30th July 2009, 09:19 PM
Raaja's powershots continues in 2009 from the way we can see (Listen). Chal Chalein is an absolute revelation into what an energized man can do. Traversing into various genres like jazzy 'uff are tu', Rocky 'Batla dein' & 'Chal Chal', Irish 1st interlude in 'Shehar hai', A Western ballad like 'tum bhi dhoondna' (Lyrics are beautiful) and ofcourse our own native lori in 'Jhoom Jhoom'... this album has everything a Raaja fan can expect for. What more just go for it HERE (http://www.mediafire.com/?zyjyw2jgwei) and dive deep into the musical ocean of The Genius :notworthy:

Sureshs65
30th July 2009, 09:25 PM
'Jhoom Jhoom So Ja'. Wow and just Wow. How I wish Lata was at her peak to sing this. Haven't heard such a lovely melody in Hindi for ages.

thumburu: You may want to listen to this song. A lovely female solo. I am not sure of the raga. The second interlude indicates Kapi.

This is surely going to be in my playlist for a long time to come :)

Sureshs65
30th July 2009, 09:31 PM
RS,

Thanks for the link and the files. I am waiting for the stores to get it here.

Not sure how the Hindi public will receive it. The trend nowadays is more 'popish' and ofcourse all those loops, samples etc. And also the film is quite low key.

Anyways, I am not complaining. Enjoying all the songs. It has been a great 7 months till now and counting :)

Sureshs65
30th July 2009, 09:38 PM
Maybe I was wrong about Kapi. Is it Desh?

crvenky
30th July 2009, 09:38 PM
Another Hindi movie releasing? Divorce Dir. Ramanan. I think it was completed loooong back.

http://www.gomolo.in/Movie/Movie.aspx?mid=21857

MumbaiRamki
30th July 2009, 11:38 PM
divorce songs were composed in 2004 as far as i remember !!

MumbaiRamki
31st July 2009, 03:47 AM
I really dont want to comment on the visuals - but in one word ' pathetic ' .

Uff Are Mirch is a nice melody , synth dominated , his own eternal music pieces mixed with familiar orchestration ..finally an enjoyable one !

Shekar Hai starts brilliantly and downgrades to average in teh middle of charanam ..otherwise the whistle is quite catchy !

Hariharan's and sadhana's melody need more listens ..it didnt exactly catch my attention , but neverthless melodious !

Batalda de prelude and the overall rockish element is quite unlike - raaja , until u observe the bass ..i wish the lyrics were more catchy and les s- trivial !Bass is quite like KRs ( if you had listened to jala deepam song from mercury pookal)

Finally there is a chal chal, a standard song which is good and nothing to complain ..

Overall , a non-disappointing album from raaja ..his 2009 run continues !

Hulkster
31st July 2009, 06:16 AM
Thanks a Raja-zillion Rajasaranam. All songs are a gem. In loss of words to explain more. :notworthy:

raja_fan
31st July 2009, 06:53 AM
listened to that "so jaa" lullaby..

thamizh paatta hindi-la dub pannina maadhiri oru feel..Raja fails to wear the Northie cap :(

rajasaranam
31st July 2009, 08:20 AM
listened to that "so jaa" lullaby..

thamizh paatta hindi-la dub pannina maadhiri oru feel..Raja fails to wear the Northie cap :(

Lullaby is Universal. I know many northindian friends who thinks that his 'Sumayee Akhiyon mein' from Sadma is one of the best lullabies they have heard ever. Will ask them about this song and let you know :)

Sureshs65
31st July 2009, 10:10 AM
r_f,

Maybe your mind is filled with Tamil :) I did not hear any South Indian tinge here. The words, the tune, everything reminds me of the olden day loris from Hindi films.

raagas
31st July 2009, 10:43 AM
I need more time/listenings to form an opinion. But yes, lyrics are disappointing. If the audience cannot connect, i am sure it is the lyrics and poor quality picturisation.
I no longer see a North Indian audience and South Indian audience. someone from bangalore is working in Noida and someone from Punjab is now in Chennai. But talking in terms of audience - i dont think anyone has got anything against IR for not patronising his music. Just that a certain package clicks and IR couldnt find the right stuff to make the package appealing. The package includes - good filmmaker, interesting story, good treatment, good visuals, good actors for visibility of the film and good lyricist. IR couldnt get all these add-ons that could have inspired him to come up with something outstanding. The only exception is Cheeni Kum. It had all of the above and look how the audience have enjoyed it. Infact,i must say that many people from south did not enjoy chenni kum soundtrack, because they preferred original songs.but hindi audience have enjoyed it thoroughly.

I still feel, if IR gets something like a Aamir Khan film or something like that.. he can create wonders..bcoz ultimately.. its the team's performance that makes an impact today.
(Dil Chahta Hai was not just about its music, but about its director,story,actors,presentation,music and lyrics and see how the music sold).

krish244
31st July 2009, 11:12 AM
Rajasaranam, thanks for the songs. I have one question. Are the songs extracted in mono or something like that? File properties says "44100Hz Joint stereo", but I don't feel the stereo effect at all. All sounds seems to be coming from the centre. I found the same issue when heard the songs in the site as well.

thanks,

Krishnan

Hulkster
31st July 2009, 11:36 AM
Should be mono because when i listened to them in headphones there is no separation at all. I guess the webmaster ripped badly from the original CD.

crajkumar_be
31st July 2009, 01:40 PM
I disagree on the North-South thing raagas.

Working in different cities is immaterial. There are matters of taste, preference and exposure to music in which the average Murugan and average Amit differ. Its not necessarily about being better or inferior (thats a separate topic) but definitely its about a certain difference.
Apart from the packaging coming togetger of all the right factors etc, there is something to the actual music itself in the context of the aforementioned differences, thats coming in the way.

P.S: Yet to listen to the tracks

I need more time/listenings to form an opinion. But yes, lyrics are disappointing. If the audience cannot connect, i am sure it is the lyrics and poor quality picturisation.
I no longer see a North Indian audience and South Indian audience. someone from bangalore is working in Noida and someone from Punjab is now in Chennai. But talking in terms of audience - i dont think anyone has got anything against IR for not patronising his music. Just that a certain package clicks and IR couldnt find the right stuff to make the package appealing. The package includes - good filmmaker, interesting story, good treatment, good visuals, good actors for visibility of the film and good lyricist. IR couldnt get all these add-ons that could have inspired him to come up with something outstanding. The only exception is Cheeni Kum. It had all of the above and look how the audience have enjoyed it. Infact,i must say that many people from south did not enjoy chenni kum soundtrack, because they preferred original songs.but hindi audience have enjoyed it thoroughly.

I still feel, if IR gets something like a Aamir Khan film or something like that.. he can create wonders..bcoz ultimately.. its the team's performance that makes an impact today.
(Dil Chahta Hai was not just about its music, but about its director,story,actors,presentation,music and lyrics and see how the music sold).

raja_fan
31st July 2009, 02:43 PM
crajkumar_be,

Your are right !
That is what I am trying to say..

There may be some tunes which may universally appeal and Sadma's lullaby might have fallen there..

But this one from Chal Chalein sounds to me (atleast) like a southie number dubbed to Hindi..just like I hope "chinna thaayaval" would have sounded when Thalapathi became Hindi Dhalpathi :)
or when Babbi Lahari's songs for some old Rajni film ( with that "I am ready..ready" song ) sounded to us :)

When IR composes for Malayalam, Mallus are able to attach to it..like wise for Telugu and Kannada...

But Hindi..I don't think so..

raja_fan
31st July 2009, 02:44 PM
*Bappi Lahari*

Hulkster
31st July 2009, 02:49 PM
First of all if cheeni kum can be accepted and it being the most south indian(original) then i dunt see why this can be accepted. Secondly it would be better for opinion on the songs rather than go for over extreme analysis whether this would be accepted or not. Its like making a mockery of thalaivar's talent. The songs have amazing melody despite atleast two using rock music. Thalaivar has experimented in this album and we need to rejoice this instead of speculating end results. :D

Hulkster
31st July 2009, 02:54 PM
Update on Why Audio CDs were not released immediately

Source : Orkut Ilaiyaraja Community

Chandra Sekar
Update on Audio CD's
Hi Folks

I managed to get in touch with the Director of Valiant Films, Vijaya Ramachandrula and she confirmed with me that Planet M are their official distribution partners.

She also told me that the cd's have been delayed due to a technical issue which has now been sorted out and the cd's should be available in all Planet M stores.

When I told her that I personally visited a Planet M outlet yesterday and that they had no clue of this movie, she assured that she will check with the Planet M team and give me a call personally to confirm availability of the cd's.

As I am awaiting her call, I request each one of you to pl buy original audio cd's.

Lets make this one a success too.

Thanks

MumbaiRamki
31st July 2009, 03:47 PM
MY opinion on the second listen !

On the second listen , uuf tera mirch and shikar hai simply rocks !!! Both have the stamp of raaja , but in a very modern way , i would say !!

The initial disappointment i had on seeing visuals of batla de goes away now , esp the prelude and interludes are just fantastic stuff ...Just goes to say what effect the visuals has in our mind :(

Chal chal is bit tamilsh (ok ok man ..) , except for the interludes didnt impress me that much .. but , it definetly a song which i wont fast forward , eps the charanam is nice :)

Tu Bhi doodna reminded me of the ghandhi ssong ( namrata ki sagar ) in the anu pallavi and in charanam , hence somehow i liked it more than the first time ...

Jhoom jhoom - had the same feeling , somehow didnt move me very much ...Esp the interlude and pallavi is tooo raajishly southish, even if its nice( esp the jhoom jhoom does calm u ) ..somehow the lyrics are also tamilish , if you translate it :)

overall, satisfied !

Its v difficult to hear Raaja's songs without expectations as i hear other songs and hence

Hulkster
31st July 2009, 05:26 PM
Its v difficult to hear Raaja's songs without expectations as i hear other songs and hence

Big mistake, its normal to have expectation listening to a ilaiyaraaja classic and then listening to this but other MDs is a no-no. IR's style/output is a package only possible by himself and none other while other MDs basically have a different tune with the backgrounds just a random genre or amateur fusion.

They may sound instantly nice but their composition is like a needle when you compare it to thalaivar's which is like a haystack.

ezy0265
31st July 2009, 07:12 PM
http://downloadming.com/chal-chalein-2009-mp3-songs

Songs available for full review before buying.....

krish244
31st July 2009, 07:33 PM
My thoughts:

Batla de: A very nice and sophisticated prelude for the song. Need to listen to stereo version to realize the full effect. Not a bad tune. Rockish guitar sounds are a value add. The picturisation spoiled an overall decent song.

Chal Chalein: Despite using some rock elements for the interludes, the overall prelude/interlude is highly synth driven. This along with not so great tune has spoiled this song.

Tum Bhi/Chup: Hariharan gives nice feel to the song, but somehow the absence of significant sounds (bass elements, real instruments, etc) made this song less impressive to me. I really want IR to switch to more lively instruments and more tune based interludes.

Jhoom: A very light (sad) lori song. Flute pieces are good. I think he has infused some light hindustani flavor to it (both to (tune/interludes). Its a decent lori song, but nothing great. Another area where I want IR to explore is the use of core hindustani raga structure (in tune and ludes). I know it may not impress the current youth, but at least it will be a treasure for us and also for some people in north who appreciate such stuff.

Shehar hai khub: A nice tune and catchy whistle and flute kind of music. Again, lots of synth filled sounds (insignificant) in interludes. The flourish of violins before the first interlude impressed me.

Uff Are: This is the song I liked the most. The prelude made me sit up. The tune flow, the westernish tinge makes it interesting to me. Might impress (if constantly thrusted :) ) northies as a old styled fun song.

I will long for the stereo versions of at least Uff Are and Batla De (and possibly Shehar) songs.

Cheeni kum album had a lot going for it. Amitabh to make it curious and the tunes were packaged much better with less of synth and some nice recording.

thanks,

Krishnan

crajkumar_be
31st July 2009, 07:39 PM
First impression

Disappointing :(

Interesting bits here and there but overall doesn't work at all - sound and tune

crajkumar_be
31st July 2009, 07:43 PM
"Jhoom Jhoom So Ja" is my pick of the album

rprasad
31st July 2009, 11:51 PM
Excellent album i think. Iam really amazed that IR can produce such music after so many years and so many songs. I think he tried hard to stay away from his tamil/south centric sound eventhough its really tough when its probably instinctive for him. The only crib i have is that the lyrics could have been better especially in the Hariharan song they seem not to gel together well enough.
And i for one found the Lori song totally non southish and seemed perfectly Northish.I have heard quite a few hindi lori songs espcially the older ones and this one seems to fit in perfectly in that genre.
All in all a neat album with quite a few surprises.
Also I think its high time people stopped giving advices on what IR should be doing like what raga he should be using or what live instruments he should be using. The man has done it all already and continues to amaze with his energy. Lets revel in that and enjoy his good work. ofcourse not everyone needs to like every song he does. But lets restrict our comments to the songs/music and not try to give advises on what IR needs to do. If the song does not appeal to one we can just express it as such. Lets remember that IR's music will be IRish only and will not suddenly start sounding like anything else. Like Hulkster said IR is a genre in himself and we should be proud of it instead of trying to wish that he becomes like the other modern MD's.

krish244
1st August 2009, 12:43 AM
I said " Another area where I want IR to explore is the use of core hindustani raga structure (in tune and ludes)"...

Okay, in the above, I should have used the word "wish" instead of "want" although I meant "wish" and "wish" only. I never meant it as an advice. I cannot even dream of having any kind of capacity to give advice to such a legend. A big period there.

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
1st August 2009, 12:55 AM
Saw "Ulagam Ippo" (AM) song on TV. Saw IR acting in the song. It was evident that he was not used to facing the "movie" camera, but sort of managed it. Montage kind of shots.

Anyone else saw it?

thanks,

Krishnan

Sureshs65
1st August 2009, 06:59 AM
Well said rprasad. I fully agree with your sentiments. I also did not find the lori south indian at all. I found it very similar to what has been done in Hindi films in the past by legends like C Ramchandra and Salil Da.

I liked the album. It is indeed nice to see Raja still come up with new stuff film after film. Whether the experiments that he does is in keeping with the current trend doesn't matter to me. What matters is the music and Raja in 2009 has not disappointed.

Hulkster
1st August 2009, 06:59 AM
I said " Another area where I want IR to explore is the use of core hindustani raga structure (in tune and ludes)"...

Okay, in the above, I should have used the word "wish" instead of "want" although I meant "wish" and "wish" only. I never meant it as an advice. I cannot even dream of having any kind of capacity to give advice to such a legend. A big period there.

thanks,

Krishnan

Obviously you guys have not read about violin vicky's analysis about thalaivar's hindustani usage.

Raaja Hindustani I (http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/2009/04/raja-hindustani-i.html)

Raaja Hindustani II (http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/2009/04/raja-hindustani-ii.html)

Raaja Hindustani III (http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/2009/04/raja-hindustani-iii.html)

His blog brings a unforeseen insight into thalaivar's music. The hindustani part(India 24hours album is enough to convince any NI that this is true blue hindustani music) has been neatly analysed and violin vicky has explained perfectly how thalaivar makes them all integrate into his own composition without giving off the idea "hey i am doing a hindustani song, listen!". When most of the guys who question thalaivar on this aspect realise that the way thalaivar works is using the basic aspect of each genre and arranging/orchestrating them in his inimitable style, then that is the day all these groans and moans will end. :D

Hulkster
1st August 2009, 07:05 AM
Well said rprasad. I fully agree with your sentiments. I also did not find the lori south indian at all. I found it very similar to what has been done in Hindi films in the past by legends like C Ramchandra and Salil Da.

I liked the album. It is indeed nice to see Raja still come up with new stuff film after film. Whether the experiments that he does is in keeping with the current trend doesn't matter to me. What matters is the music and Raja in 2009 has not disappointed.

:exactly: Honestly you cant separate music tastes by NI or SI. It depends on the person's perception of music in general. Take MJ for example, there is nothing about his songs that delve into a particular culture but he is accepted worldwide. And Thalaivar's SI tunes have found lovers around the world as well(if Italians can clap to thalaivar's musical journey, i dunt see why the people in the North cant clap to Chal Chalein's music)

Hulkster
1st August 2009, 07:30 AM
Update On Music CDs

Courtesy of Chal Chalein Orkut Community - Chandra Sekar

====================================

Update on CD's
Folks

Ms. Vijaya the producer of Chal Chalein was kind enough to call me back. She told me that the cd's of Chal Chalein are currently being despatched to the various outlets of Planet M across the country and that they have instructed Planet M to market it vigourously.

I understand that the cd's should be available in all Planet M stores from tomorrow or latest by Sunday.

She said she and the director of the movie are big fans of the Maestro and the Director Ujjwal Singh specifically wanted Raaja Sir to do the music for his movie.

I will keep you guys posted after I speak with her and obtain confirmation on the status of the distribution tmrw.

Pl buy original cd's. Thanks

krish244
2nd August 2009, 02:55 PM
Obviously you guys have not read about violin vicky's analysis about thalaivar's hindustani usage.

Raaja Hindustani I (http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/2009/04/raja-hindustani-i.html)

Raaja Hindustani II (http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/2009/04/raja-hindustani-ii.html)

Raaja Hindustani III (http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/2009/04/raja-hindustani-iii.html)

His blog brings a unforeseen insight into thalaivar's music. The hindustani part(India 24hours album is enough to convince any NI that this is true blue hindustani music) has been neatly analysed and violin vicky has explained perfectly how thalaivar makes them all integrate into his own composition without giving off the idea "hey i am doing a hindustani song, listen!". When most of the guys who question thalaivar on this aspect realise that the way thalaivar works is using the basic aspect of each genre and arranging/orchestrating them in his inimitable style, then that is the day all these groans and moans will end. :D

Hulkster, my "wish" should not be interpreted as "questioning". To me, there is no one who has dwelled into and fused (real fusion) so many musical idioms into ones music as IR did (and doing). So, there is no question of questioning :).

Thanks for the links Hulkster. I never thought of going through the links earlier, because I never needed to convince myself of IR's talent. But I will go through it anyway (to get more insights).

thanks,

Krishnan

Hulkster
2nd August 2009, 04:00 PM
:D well while i did quote your post, it was not exactly meant to arrow you;the general consensus that thalaivar has problems delivering a hindustani song with the exception of some is becoming a plague here and thats what i wanted to address. This may be due to a combination of Rahman's success and fustration that thalaivar has not found his mark in Bollywood but this is beyond ignorance.

I used violin vicky's blog not to show that he can do hindustani music but a in-your-face answer to those who "question" that they have probably never really understood thalaivar's style.

Thalaivar's music is so complex that trying to categorise them whether they are south indian or north indian is asking for 1 page foul-mouth blast. I can see that those who mention the south indian feel are so used to thalaivar's style that they presume it to be south indian and as a result have taken his music for granted. A proper summary is a music going beyond different genres in a manner that is neither influenced nor is it separated from the context of the situation. Even that would take a 100 blogs to analyse.

I think the best way is to leave you ears open, mind clear and enjoy the music. No point wondering if it is north,south,east or west indian. True answer it is Ilaiyaraaja made. Fullstop

venkkiram
2nd August 2009, 09:59 PM
ராஜா அவர்கள் எப்போதுதான் தன் பாடல்களுக்கு தரமுள்ள, கற்பனைவளம் மிகுந்த பாடல் வரிகளை அமைத்துக்கொள்ள முனைவார் எனத் தெரியவில்லை. ஷிவா, சீனிகம், இப்போது வந்திருக்கிற சல் சலேன்.. பட்டியல் நீண்டு கொண்டே வருகிறது..

ஏன் ராஜா தனது பாடல்களில் நல்ல மொழி வளமிக்க பாடல் வரிகளை அனுமதிப்பதில்லை? இந்த அணுகுமுறைக்கு காரணம் என்ன? தரமான இயக்குனர்கள் இல்லாமல் இருப்பது காரணமா எனப்பார்த்தாலும், எண்பதுகளில் தரமில்லாத படங்களிலும், பல அருமையான பாடல் வரிகள் ராஜா இசையில் அமைக்கப்பட்டிருக்கிறது.

மற்ற இசையமைப்பாளர்கள் படங்களில் பெரும்பாலும் மெட்டுக்குத்தான் கவித்திறன் மிக்க பாடல்கள் கிடைக்கப்பெறுகிறது. ராஜாவின் இசையில் மட்டும் ஏன் இது சாத்தியப்படவில்லை? ஒருவேளை ராஜாதான் இதற்கெல்லாம் காரணமா? சந்தங்களை மட்டுமே பிரதானப்படுத்தி மலிவான படல் வரிகளை அற்புதமான ராகங்களில் பயணிக்க வைக்க, எப்படி ராஜாவிற்கு மனம் வருகிறது?

sivasub
3rd August 2009, 04:24 PM
Not so good as per this blog

http://hotgas.wordpress.com/2009/08/02/music-reviewchal-chaleinilayraja/

I could sense some similarities between Tum bhi dhoondnaa and Namrata ke saagar. Experts can confirm

app_engine
3rd August 2009, 06:22 PM
ஷிவா, சீனிகம், இப்போது வந்திருக்கிற சல் சலேன்.. பட்டியல் நீண்டு கொண்டே வருகிறது..

இந்தியில் கவிதை வார்த்தைகளை அளவிடும் அளவுக்கு அவருக்கு மொழிப்புலமை இருக்குமா எனத்தெரியவில்லை.

ராசாவின் தமிழ்ப்பாடல்களின் கவிதை வறட்சிக்கு வேண்டுமானால் அவரை ஓரளவுக்குக்குறை கூறலாம், இந்திக்குக்குறை கூறுவது கொஞ்சம் அநியாயம் :-)

Plum
3rd August 2009, 07:25 PM
Some of PK Mishra's lyrics for Rahman are cringe-worthy. Gulzar and Javed Akthar, on the other hand, created magic with him. I think Gulzar did Sadma for IR, and we all know the results. After that, the next movie they are getting together is Pa. I am not sure if he worked with Javed Akthar.

krish244
3rd August 2009, 09:40 PM
Plum,

IR and Gulzar are getting back together for the movie SRK, not for PA.

I think, he is working with Sameer for PA. I am not sure though.

thanks,

Krishnan

kiru
4th August 2009, 12:06 AM
ஷிவா, சீனிகம், இப்போது வந்திருக்கிற சல் சலேன்.. பட்டியல் நீண்டு கொண்டே வருகிறது..

இந்தியில் கவிதை வார்த்தைகளை அளவிடும் அளவுக்கு அவருக்கு மொழிப்புலமை இருக்குமா எனத்தெரியவில்லை.

ராசாவின் தமிழ்ப்பாடல்களின் கவிதை வறட்சிக்கு வேண்டுமானால் அவரை ஓரளவுக்குக்குறை கூறலாம், இந்திக்குக்குறை கூறுவது கொஞ்சம் அநியாயம் :-)

Apparently, IR gives out the starting line for even Hindi lyrics !!! (he does that for tamil lyrics many times). Looks like his ambition to be a lyricist seems to rub on the wrong side with the actual lyricists . Even the "staged conversation" with Vaali shows IR giving suggestions to vaali on the lyrics. Probably IR wants his songs to be IR songs with everybody else being in the team but himself being the "lead".

app_engine
4th August 2009, 12:41 AM
Apparently, IR gives out the starting line for even Hindi lyrics !!!

சாரி கிரு, இது உங்களுக்கே கொஞ்சம் ஓவராப்படலயா? :o

கொஞ்சம் போனா "சீனி கம்மு" பேரு கூட ராசா தான் வச்சாருன்னு சொல்லுவாங்க போலருக்கே?
:)

kiru
4th August 2009, 02:16 AM
எனக்கு ஓவரா தான் தெரியுது ஆனா ராஜாவுக்கு தெரியலையோ ..என்னவோ :-)
(BTW, I got this info from some people close to him..maybe they fall into the category of sycophants hyping their idol :-) )

genesis
4th August 2009, 02:53 AM
maybe they fall into the category of sycophants hyping their idol :-) )

oru similey pottuvittu eppadi vEndumANAlum thittalAm pola!!

irir123
4th August 2009, 03:58 AM
Apparently, IR gives out the starting line for even Hindi lyrics !!!

சாரி கிரு, இது உங்களுக்கே கொஞ்சம் ஓவராப்படலயா? :o

கொஞ்சம் போனா "சீனி கம்மு" பேரு கூட ராசா தான் வச்சாருன்னு சொல்லுவாங்க போலருக்கே?
:)

I dont think IR is capable of doing that in Hindi! IRukku 'dheemi dheemi si zindagi mein koyi aa gaya' kind of opening lines maybe he gives that in Tamil/English and the lyricist uses that as a cue to start the lyrics in Hindi, but IR giving such a line ?? namba mudiyavillai!

sgmsin
4th August 2009, 12:00 PM
ஜெகன்மோகினி பாடல் மு க அழகிரியால் ஆகஸ்டு 3 ஆம் தேதி வெளியிடபட்டது.

M . k Azhakiri released Jegan Mohini Audio on August 3, 2009.
http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=14903025

Hulkster
4th August 2009, 01:24 PM
Oh good, finally a album that can take us away from the current negativity surrounding here :D

MumbaiRamki
4th August 2009, 01:27 PM
Hulkster ,
enakku namitha paarthaale bayama irukku .. dont have great hopes on the film, crew and the director ... lets see raaja always gives surprises and 2009 has been good for our ears ..lets see :)

Hulkster
4th August 2009, 02:15 PM
Well its supposed to be a classical based album, i am sure there wunt be too much groans if it is like UO. Anyway does not matter, even his "worst" song has experimentation that alot of MDs today will shudder to think about. Album should be in stores today.

sgmsin
4th August 2009, 02:35 PM
we can expect some pleasing songs from IR in jegan mohini

kiru
5th August 2009, 07:48 AM
Hulk..I have to admit I am getting old..I myself can detect the cynicism and pessimism setting in my posts :-) I hope young people like you can counteract this here.
(genesis - what can I say about the power of smileys :-) )

Nerd
5th August 2009, 09:47 AM
Awesome pic of Raja in Azhagarmalai paper Ad :)
http://dailythanthi.com/thanthiepaper/582009/MDSG373299.jpg

jaiganes
5th August 2009, 04:00 PM

what is sai santhi theatre?

viraajan
5th August 2009, 04:02 PM

what is sai santhi theatre?

Santhi theater;oda sister concern'nga. Near Devi :)

Hulkster
5th August 2009, 05:34 PM
Hulk..I have to admit I am getting old..I myself can detect the cynicism and pessimism setting in my posts :-) I hope young people like you can counteract this here.
(genesis - what can I say about the power of smileys :-) )

Age is no excuse, rejoice in thalaivar's albums like your listening to it the first time and you will find it powerful i say. :D

app_engine
5th August 2009, 06:52 PM
Looks like AM is Vadivelu dominated flick :

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/news/2009/08/03-vadivelu-interview-at-azhagar-malai-press-meet.html

So relatively longer run than vAlmIki can be expected. Not that it matters, but the songs are so enjoyable IMO and it would be nice if people in TN at least get a chance to listen to them.

(The director was supposedly part of the "friends" team , which was a remake of a very successful malayALam movie and had some comical moments with VV).

app_engine
5th August 2009, 07:02 PM
http://dinamani.com/edition/story.aspx?&SectionName=Cinema&artid=100201&SectionID=141&MainSectionID=141&SEO=&Title=

What is the (expanded) name of this RK?

app_engine
5th August 2009, 07:13 PM
அழகர் மலையின் சிறப்பு அதன் பாடல்கள். இசைஞானியின் இசைக்கு நற்சாட்சி பத்திரம் தேவையில்லை. அழகர் மலையின் சிறப்பைச் சொல்லும் ஒரு பாட்டுக்கு அவரே நடிச்சிக் கொடுத்திருக்கார். நாங்க அவர்கிட்ட ரொம்ப தயங்கித் தயங்கிதான் கேட்டோம். அவர் சின்ன யோசனைக்குப் பிறகு அந்தப் பாட்டு முழுக்க வர சம்மதிச்சார். எத்தனையோ ஜாம்பவான்கள் கேட்டும் முடியாதுன்னு சொன்னவர், எங்க ஆசையை நிறைவேத்தினார். மொத்தம் 6 நாட்கள் நடித்தார். அது ஒரு மறக்க முடியாத அனுபவம். அந்தப் பெருமை சங்கிலி முருகன் சாருக்கே சேரும்

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2009/05/05-azhagar-makai-hero-meets-the-press.html

Again only RK, what is his complete name?

jaiganes
5th August 2009, 08:16 PM
http://dinamani.com/edition/story.aspx?&SectionName=Cinema&artid=100201&SectionID=141&MainSectionID=141&SEO=&Title=

What is the (expanded) name of this RK?

that is the film's suspense!!!

Hulkster
6th August 2009, 03:47 PM
Hi.... Vanakkam to everyone. Modern media entertainment release new re master version Ilaiyaraajas music album with under exclusive copyright license from Agi music. The album title is ISAIYIN ISAI. Now available in all music shops in klang valley,Alor Setar,Sungai Petani,Penang, Ipoh,Setiawan and Kangar. South state can get start 7th August... We need all of your supports. Shops info can get from www.myilaiyaraajaso ngs.blogspot. com or contact our sales man Mr.Balan 016-6191565. Also can buy online shop via www.saayee.com. If still any retail shop not having this album kindly contact to Mr.Balan or mymodernmedia@gmail.com

Nanri.Bye

The blogspot probably refers to shops in Malaysia. Not sure about other countries. The list of songs remastered are also listed.They request us to buy original as well.

anegan
6th August 2009, 08:22 PM
Hi.... Vanakkam to everyone. Modern media entertainment release new re master version Ilaiyaraajas music album with under exclusive copyright license from Agi music. The album title is ISAIYIN ISAI. Now available in all music shops in klang valley,Alor Setar,Sungai Petani,Penang, Ipoh,Setiawan and Kangar. South state can get start 7th August... We need all of your supports. Shops info can get from www.myilaiyaraajaso ngs.blogspot. com or contact our sales man Mr.Balan 016-6191565. Also can buy online shop via www.saayee.com. If still any retail shop not having this album kindly contact to Mr.Balan or mymodernmedia@gmail.com

Nanri.Bye

The blogspot probably refers to shops in Malaysia. Not sure about other countries. The list of songs remastered are also listed.They request us to buy original as well.

It is a 2 CD Pack. I ordered the collection from www.saayee.com. The price is $5.00. I request all fans to go and buy the CDs. Let us all support the effort. There are a lot of Ilayaraja songs that I am longing to be remastered.

kingvj
6th August 2009, 09:30 PM
RK - Radhakrishnan... heard that he is the one that ran the V-Can MLM (?).

jaiganes
6th August 2009, 09:31 PM
Chal chalein is a good album musically.
I am pleasantly surprised by Kavita Krishnamurthy's voice in Raasappu album - generally thought that there is some bad blood with Krishnamurthys over Hey Ram.
The sadna sargam lullaby jhoom jhoom so ja is my pick of the album closely followed by Chal chalein and the allahabad song. Very refreshing. the starting to 'Batla de' is awesomely new - no loops, no old Raja hangover - totally new new and new. there is a brief 'thriller' kinda groove in the back ground that is totally missed in the youtube version.

Sureshs65
6th August 2009, 10:05 PM
Very true Jai. I too was surprised at Kavita Krishnamurthy singing for Raja. My guess was same as yours reg 'Hey Ram'.

I like all the songs in this album and the lori and the Hariharan song are my favs. The other songs are great as well and the album is in my loop. The problem is that the original CD is still not available in Bangalore.

Looking forward to the release of this album. Has Namitha arrived in Chennai yet?

Sureshs65
7th August 2009, 06:17 PM
Still no Jaganmohini in stores? If that is the situation in Chennai wonder when it will land in Bangalore. No signs of Chal Chale till date :(

Hulkster
7th August 2009, 06:26 PM
Chal Chalein has come out in stores, but i guess bangalore is abit behind time. As for jaganmohini it is very baffling. Perhaps it being released in Madurai might have angered the chennai based shops. :lol2:

Hulkster
7th August 2009, 06:40 PM
[tscii:a93031f71b]First review of Chal Chalein (http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Movie-review--Chal-Chalein/499367)

====================================

Cast: Mithun Chakraborty, Rati Agnihotri, Kanwaljeet, Anoop Soni

Director: Ujjwal Singh

A young lad, coerced into studying a subject he hates only because he is petrified of his father, ends his life. His classmates, all of whom face the same problem, take the fight to court.

‘Chal Chalein’ gives us youngsters, who sue the parents and the state, and come out trumps, thanks to sympathetic lawyer (Mithun) .Good idea, amateurishly executed. There’s not one sympathetic mom or dad (they are all monsters, with one mother sending a little girl hungry to bed after cruelly punishing her). The teachers are uniformly incapable of helping the unhappy children.

When they are not filing in and out of the lawyer’s chambers, the kids sing and dance. The one good thing about the film is its music: foot-tapping numbers intersperse the uninspiring action.

[/tscii:a93031f71b]

app_engine
7th August 2009, 09:36 PM
[tscii:130ee7dc22]There it goes, in the expected lines :-)

இசை இளையராஜா. டூயட் எல்லாம் எண்பதுகளில் கேட்டமாதிரியே இருக்கிறது... பின்னணி இசையில் தன் கொடியை நாட்டியிருக்கிறார். ஆனால், ‘யாரு எங்கே போனாலும்...’ என்று யாரையோ மனதில் வைத்து பாட்டு எழுதி டைட்டில் பாடலாக்கி அதை அவரையே பாட வைத்து, அவரை வைத்தே காட்சியும் படுத்தியிருப்பது... மேஸ்ட்ரோவுக்கு அழகு சேர்க்கவில்லை.

http://www.thenaali.com/thenaali.aspx?A=669

[/tscii:130ee7dc22]

rooky
7th August 2009, 09:43 PM
August september will see some more move releases for Raja.

Tamil: Azh.malai, JeganMohini
Hindi: Chalchalein, QuickGunMurugan
Kannada: PremKahani, Bagyatha Balegara

Out of these movies, i guess the kannada movies will have a better opening/response and hopefully one or both of them to turn into Hit or superhit category.

irir123
8th August 2009, 04:19 AM
enna acchu "Pazhassi Raja" ??

raagas
8th August 2009, 09:34 AM

I think QuickGun Murugun is not by Ilaiyaraaja.

Fliflo
8th August 2009, 05:41 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/review/2009/08/08-azhagar-malai-film-review.html

rajasaranam
9th August 2009, 09:47 AM
JaganMohini Trailer Release on 10th Aug (http://www.filmyfriday.com/regional-cinema/tamil-movies/%E2%80%98jagan-mohini%E2%80%99-trailer-launch-on-august-10). I hope the Audio will be available from then on...

jaiganes
9th August 2009, 01:38 PM

I think QuickGun Murugun is not by Ilaiyaraaja.

QGM uses Raaja songs, but the music of the film is not by Raaja.

kameshratnam
10th August 2009, 08:28 AM
http://download.thehindimusic.com/download-hindi-movies-music/2009/chal-chalein-mp3-songs/

raja_fan
10th August 2009, 07:59 PM
Kameshratnam,

Please check your PM.

app_engine
10th August 2009, 09:31 PM
[tscii:ac9d368ade]http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/entertainment/azhagar-malai-right-mix-of-comedy-action-romance-tamil-film-review_100229355.html

Ilayaraja’s songs remind one of a batsman in prime form knocking runs at will at the middle of the crease. The number “Karukamani” is the best pick of the songs.

Very apt!

May be other things told in this review are similary correct :-)

One sample :

RK looks comfortable on screen compared to his previous ventures. Though his colourful costumes and dancing look funny, he impresses in action and comedy sequences. Romance doesn’t seem to be his cup of tea.
:lol:
[/tscii:ac9d368ade]

Fliflo
10th August 2009, 10:27 PM
http://www.chennaionline.com/film/Moviereviews/Aug09/85Azhagar-Malai.aspx

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fliflo
11th August 2009, 08:42 AM
Sorry for too many smilies.
Just a test stuff.

Sureshs65
11th August 2009, 09:01 AM
Thanks for solving the mystery Flifo. I was wondering what was so funny in the review and if I missed something!!! :)

raja_fan
11th August 2009, 01:19 PM
Rajasaranam,

Please check your PM for my messages if you haven't already

raagas
11th August 2009, 05:46 PM
any updates abt Jaganmohini?

kameshratnam
11th August 2009, 06:54 PM
Chal Chalein not available

Kannada albums not available

Jagan Mohini no news...Enna Koduma Sir idu

Sureshs65
11th August 2009, 07:23 PM
Kamesh,

Kannada albums available in all stores in Bangalore. Couldn't find 'Chal Chalen' yet in Bangalore. (Can't hear 'Chal Chalein' songs on FM either. No FM radio plays songs from such movies which are not promoted heavily:( I guess we can think of JM in Bangalore only after it appears in Chennai.

BTW, one Kannada FM channel keeps playing songs from 'Prem Kahani' regularly and two songs from the same movie are frequently shown on 'Raj Musix'. I guess once 'Bagyada Balegara' is ready for release, you will hear / see that often in Bangalore.

kameshratnam
11th August 2009, 07:39 PM
raaja's song appearance in azhagar malai

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/Events/19184.html

dochu
11th August 2009, 08:23 PM
Wow!!!.

Is he in Pannaiyapuram for that song? Place looks gorgeous.

Sureshs65
11th August 2009, 10:18 PM
Dochu,

One part of it is Tiruvannamalai, where you can see the famous hill and the filming inside Ramanasram. I think the place where the river flows could be Pannaipuram.

As usual, an under rated song, since Raja has sung it :) I like this song very much. Very peaceful song.

MumbaiRamki
12th August 2009, 12:46 AM
[tscii:78a0118804]"Abhirami Ramanathan uttered, “I was enthralled watching few clippings as they were equivalent to the standard of Harry Potter and other such Hollywood films. This film will elevate the standard of Tamil cinema to a greater extent.”'
http://entertainment.expressbuzz.com/entertainment/Entertainstory.aspx?Title=‘Jaganmohini’+trailer+la unched+in+grandeur&artid=lJuY|wMXHeM=&SectionID=tHzSeri|WGs=&MainSectionID=tHzSeri|WGs=&SectionName=KeHdpZ5AfB0=&SEO=

Enna parththutu ippadi sonnarunu theriala ;)[/tscii:78a0118804]

irir123
12th August 2009, 02:57 AM
who is Abhirami Ramanathan ?

app_engine
12th August 2009, 03:07 AM

அவர் ஒரு "கலை மாமணி" விருது பெற்றவர்'னு கேள்வி (தியேட்டர் ஓனர்) :-)

raja_fan
12th August 2009, 08:40 AM

What a song !
Fitting to people of this country who have forgotten their own cultural heritage and pride..

fan_ir
12th August 2009, 10:34 AM

Interesting video there. His passion for singing is still intact.....
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/483/96043751.jpg

crajkumar_be
12th August 2009, 12:29 PM
Apart from often lying to the media blatantly, he owns Abhirami multiplex in Chennai

irir123
13th August 2009, 05:42 AM
IR's song in Alagar malai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCOzDE3cyrM

looks like Alagar malai songs are available in iTunes as well

crvenky
13th August 2009, 10:14 AM
Jaganmohini songs here:

http://www.funmusiq.com/jaganmohinitamilsongs.htm

MumbaiRamki
13th August 2009, 10:21 AM
ANy reviews ??

kameshratnam
13th August 2009, 10:45 AM
Avar vizhaku poi en pesanum

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DfRSiTeJJlA/SoJI2mRjqxI/AAAAAAAAAIU/iwYMBiqNswc/s1600-h/IR+Statement.jpg

Prechanai started...now he has said :ELLA PUGAZHUM IRVANAKKU KE IS NOT RIGHT"

raagas
13th August 2009, 11:08 AM
Jaganmohini songs here:

http://www.funmusiq.com/jaganmohinitamilsongs.htm

Yet to listen completely. But an initial run gave me the feeling that IR missed giving music that suits the time-premise of the film. I think the film is a fantasy film with prince, princess, demon etc. But the music doesnt reflect the premise at all. It sounds too modern.

I need to forget about the film and treat it as a standalone album, to analyze it.

viraajan
13th August 2009, 12:32 PM
ANy reviews ??

Karthik's take: http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2009/08/13/music-review-jegan-mohini-tamil-ilayaraja/

Sanjeevi
13th August 2009, 02:29 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2009/08/13-jagan-mohini-audio-raja-rocks-again.html

நிச்சயம் எதிர்பார்க்கவில்லை... அதுவும் நமீதாவைப் பிரதானப்படுத்தி எடுக்கப்பட்ட ஒரு படத்துக்கு இப்படி ஒரு இனிய இசையை இசைஞானி தருவார் என ரசிகர்கள் எதிர்பார்க்கவே இல்லை.

படத்தில் மொத்தம் 5 பாடல்கள் இடம்பெற்றுள்ளன. வெளியாகி நான்கைந்து நாட்களில் தெலுங்குப் பாடல்கள் பெரிய அளவு ஹிட். தமிழிலும் இந்தப் பாடல்களுக்கு பெரும் வரவேற்பு கிடைத்துள்ளது.

கட்டிக்கிட்டா ராசாவத்தான்..., நிலவு வரும் நேரம்..., கண்மணி தேரில் இள ராஜா... பாடல்களின் இசையில் புதிய துள்ளல் தெரிகிறது.

இந்த ஆல்பத்தின் ஹைலைட் 'உன்னைவி்ட்டால் யார் எனக்கு...' என சித்ரா பாடியுள்ள பாடல்தான். சித்ராவுக்கு இன்னொரு பிரேக் தந்திருக்கிறார் ராஜா, இந்தப் பாடல் மூலம். இது ஒரு அம்மன் பாடல். படம் வெளியாகி, இந்தப் பாடல் வரும் நேரத்தில் நிச்சயம் திரையரங்குகளில் சாமி வந்தாடும் தாய்மார்கள் பற்றிய செய்திகள் தினசரிகளில் இடம்பெறக்கூடும். மிகுந்த உணர்ச்சிப்பூர்வமான பாடல்!

இதற்கு முன் வெளியான அழகர் மலையில் இடம்பெற்ற 'கருகமணி...' ஆரம்பித்துள்ள நிலையில், ராஜாவின் ரசிகர்களுக்கு மட்டுமல்ல... ரீமிக்ஸ், குத்துவெட்டு குதறல் பாடல்களைக் கேட்டு காதில் ரத்தம் வழிந்து கொண்டிருக்கும் இசை ரசிகர்களுக்கும் உண்மையிலேயே பெரும் ஆறுதல் இந்தப் பாடல்கள்

---

Songs are that much good? :D

raagas
13th August 2009, 02:37 PM
I liked Ponmani Theril...

the song by Chitra is good too..

the rest didnt strike much.. Puthathu Poovu is may be ok.

The point is.. i might like the songs for the moment.. but i am not sure if they would last in my memory for long. i mean, Uliyin Osai would. A Kooda Varuvaiyya song would. But the initial vibes from this album doesnt show that promise. Infact, Chal Chale too didnt appeal to me.. cant reason out..but it didnt work.. it didnt make me listen to them continuously.. while a Valmiki, Prem Kahani , NK, Nandhalaala recently..

Now i am lookig forward to next album by IR.

krish244
13th August 2009, 02:46 PM
Listened to only first two songs so far. Love the rhythm (especially the prelude) in nilavu varum song. Amazing how this man (IR) keeps producing new rhythms.

thanks,

Krishnan

Sureshs65
13th August 2009, 02:52 PM
raagas,

Just started listening to Jaganmohini. Will take a few more listens to form an opinion.

In the meanwhile I would suggest you give a re-listen to 'Chal Chalein'. I thought all the songs were quite good. Different style in orchestration and some lovely tunes. I am not sure if you can rank them with the best that Raja has given but as standalone songs they are good.

raagas
13th August 2009, 03:56 PM
Suresh,

Will Listen to Chal Chalein again.

in JM, Ponmani Theril Rocks bigtime... absolutely!

What i dont understand is the overall soundtexture of the album. I thought it would be more of period sound etc, but JM has lot of techno stuff! sounds lil displaced, if viewed in the perspective of film. Like i said, we need to forget about the film and observe music.

raja_fan
13th August 2009, 04:01 PM
JM sucks big time !
And IR's speech about ARR's verse is disgusting.

This man has no future.., only a glorious past..I just want to confine myself in his past..

MumbaiRamki
13th August 2009, 04:09 PM
ANy reviews ??

Karthik's take: http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2009/08/13/music-review-jegan-mohini-tamil-ilayaraja/

can u paste it here ? its blocked here :)

krish244
13th August 2009, 04:48 PM
[tscii:fa9aae7889]Here you go MumbaiRamki. Karthik's take:

"Ponmani theril has a barely functional tune and sounds mighty moth-balled. Swetha and Ujjaini’s seduction song, Nilavu varum neram has a consistently lilting rhythm and a sufficiently catchy tune. With its distinct Latino style, Poothadhu poovu is yet another attempt at seduction (blame Namitha?), with mixed results, while Kattikitta rasavatthaan is painfully outmoded, despite the nostalgic goodwill. Unnai vittaal is the pick of the soundtrack, with Chitra’s incredible singing, an engaging tune and lovely violins playing in the interludes. Yes, this is another time-machine-trip, but Ilayaraja’s music in the Jegan Mohini soundtrack seems to be propping the film’s theme adequately."

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:fa9aae7889]

Sureshs65
13th August 2009, 05:02 PM
raagas,

Yup. I understand your confusion. I guess lot of people must have waited for a 'Uliyin Osai' type album. Well, what we need to understand is that this is a fantasy and not a historical. And who stops Namitha from fantasizing with modern accompaniment :)

ezy0265
13th August 2009, 07:04 PM
JM is another great offering from the great IR!!!

All 5 songs are unique and beautifully composed with so much energy and youthfullness.....I can only feel sorry for those who have lost their senses to not be able to appreciate such songs....

rajasaranam
13th August 2009, 07:27 PM
just started listening... now at 3rd song poothathu poovu.... and man Iam enjoying the album already :thumbsup:

rajasaranam
13th August 2009, 07:42 PM
[tscii:c29fd8d23e]Karthik's take:

With its distinct Latino style, Poothadhu poovu is yet another attempt at seduction (blame Namitha?), with mixed results,[/tscii:c29fd8d23e]

Latino'va Middle Eastern'aa :x It sounds more of middle eastern to me :?

Anyways they've packed the top 3 picks in the beginning itseld. Kattikitta & Unnai Vittal didn't impress me much. May be I'll like them later. For now Poothathu, Nilavu varum & Ponmanitheril are enough!

raagas,

Even Uliyin Osai had songs like 'Kallai Irunthen' & 'Kaalathai Vendra' which were not a reflection of those period yet they synced well in the screen.

K
13th August 2009, 10:27 PM
http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2009/08/13-jagan-mohini-audio-raja-rocks-again.html

padika nalla than irukku............

vem
14th August 2009, 02:18 AM
it is indeed sad that IR has taken a swipe at ARR so openly - We don't know for sure if he meant what he said or targeted at ARR especially.

First of all, when someone who feels God's grace always should turn a deaf ear to what others say - hence, if IR feels he is close to God shouldn't even bother what others say, let alone criticizing others' opinions.

So, I just feel IR has been a little immature here, and I am just amazed at the maturity level of ARR inspite of conquering everything - even though I am not a big ARR fan.

IR had better stay at home and think about music rather than disappointing his die-hard fans by giving inane comments.

JM - A run-of-the-mill album; some of the songs may not be even worth of first listening........ He is clearly over the hill and should retire gracefully now that his creativity has clearly dried up.

Hulkster
14th August 2009, 06:38 AM
JM sucks big time !

This man has no future.., only a glorious past..I just want to confine myself in his past..

:rotfl2: You have been always over critical of thalaivar, like he has to prove something to you. As usual i guess people are making a mountain out of his statement. He is one who takes critical views about GOD and i feel that he means ARR is the reason for all his talent and success and not totally GOD. And the ending line(the part where he says not to make a fuss of what he says) sort of says that he was not exactly taking a dig but rather making a opinion. If he really meant to take a dig he would not say the ending line.

MumbaiRamki
14th August 2009, 08:16 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DfRSiTeJJlA/SoJI2mRjqxI/AAAAAAAAAIU/iwYMBiqNswc/s1600-h/IR+Statement.jpg

seriously, i don't see anything wrong here ..He has said that ' ella pugazum iraivanukkae' is indeed spiritual and he has probed it further ..Liked the explanation infact !

Hulkster
14th August 2009, 09:30 AM

seriously, i don't see anything wrong here ..He has said that ' ella pugazum iraivanukkae' is indeed spiritual and he has probed it further ..Liked the explanation infact !

Exactly. People make too much of a fuss. Its quite hard to interpret what he is saying. The problem is EPI quote is made famous by ARR even though it has been present a long time and thats why all the negativity is coming. Otherwise seems normal to me.

I request people who are easily prone to romance not to listen to nilavu varum and poothadhu poovu in the night. If you all know what i mean :lol2:

Sureshs65
14th August 2009, 10:35 AM
I request people who are easily prone to romance not to listen to nilavu varum and poothadhu poovu in the night. If you all know what i mean LOL

Shouldn't it be the other way around, Hulk? :LOL:

raagas
14th August 2009, 11:21 AM
raagas,

Even Uliyin Osai had songs like 'Kallai Irunthen' & 'Kaalathai Vendra' which were not a reflection of those period yet they synced well in the screen.

I agree, and since i dont need to tag music to picture to appreciate.. i liked Uliyin Osai and even Ponmani Theril. But somehow other songs of JM are not hooking me much. Ponmani rocks bigtime. I felt Ir could have done much better in Unnai Vittal. But its not bad either. Poothathu, Nilavu varum are ok.. Like i said, i dont think they will stay with me for years. But Ponmani Theril will definitely stay!

(i guess my likes/dislikes are also guided by the raagas used by IR and the kind of treatment he gives. I somehow dont like IR losing himself in a barrage of techno stuff.But Ponmani Theril, despite being all techno, was connectable because of the tune may be and overall, it gets kicky. i dont know why i dont feel the same about others)

Sureshs65
14th August 2009, 11:30 AM
raagas,

As of now I have Ponmani Theril, Nilavu Varum Neram and Poothadu in a loop. The marriage of words and tune in Nilavu Varum Neram is superb. I guess you do miss a bit because you cannot understand the lyrics. I would rate Nilavu Varum Neram the same as Ponmani Theril, if not a notch higher.

Will write a detailed review after a few more listens.

vel
14th August 2009, 03:13 PM
JM sucks big time !

:rotfl2: You have been always over critical of thalaivar, like he has to prove something to you. As usual i guess people are making a mountain out of his statement. He is one who takes critical views about GOD and i feel that he means ARR is the reason for all his talent and success and not totally GOD. And the ending line(the part where he says not to make a fuss of what he says) sort of says that he was not exactly taking a dig but rather making a opinion. If he really meant to take a dig he would not say the ending line.

:thumbsup: :) well said

rajasaranam
14th August 2009, 03:51 PM

'namachivaaya vaazhaga'nnu sollithaan enna aaga poguthu?!!! neenga sollithaan sivan vazha poaraara? Illainna avar vaazha maataara? Sivanthaane ungalai vaazha vaippathu neengal enna avarai poi vazhtharathu???

'iravainadi'nnu ezhuthinaathaan iravainukku athu theriya poguthaa???

'God is great'nnu yaen sollanum avaru great'nnu avarukku theriyatha?!!

Ippadiyaaga Raaja avaapozhuthu vazhakkamaaga ucharikkum/ezhuthum sila thodargalai patri Rahman etho oru medaiyil pesi irunthaal enna solli irupeergal?!!

Thalaivar etho theriyaama pesitaar (Unless & Until its mis quoted by the media Like the mysskin-Valmiki episode) 'seri right vudunnu' vadivelu style'aa sirichittu poitta nallathu. athukku poi ithana peru sappaikattu mathiri athu oru spiritual explanation'dra levella pesarathu is not Rational IMHO. :)

krish244
14th August 2009, 03:51 PM
[tscii:092d3c076c]Chal Chalein movie review:

http://www.screenindia.com/news/chal-chalein-hindi/501217/

"On the plus side are Priyesh Sagar’s remarkably-mature performance, some truly melodious songs from Ilaiyaraja and good turns by the rest of the kids.

Verdict
One star for the music, one for the kids and one for a novel concept. Sadly, all of it will go unnoticed."

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:092d3c076c]

crajkumar_be
14th August 2009, 04:00 PM

'namachivaaya vaazhaga'nnu sollithaan enna aaga poguthu?!!! neenga sollithaan sivan vazha poaraara? Illainna avar vaazha maataara? Sivanthaane ungalai vaazha vaippathu neengal enna avarai poi vazhtharathu???

Ippadiyaaga Raaja avaapozhuthu vazhakkamaaga ucharikkum/ezhuthum sila thodargalai patri Rahman etho oru medaiyil pesi irunthaal enna solli irupeergal?!!

Thalaivar etho theriyaama pesitaar (Unless & Until its mis quoted by the media Like the mysskin-Valmiki episode) 'seri right vudunnu' vadivelu style'aa sirichittu poitta nallathu. athukku poi ithana peru sappaikattu mathiri athu oru spiritual explanation'dra levella pesarathu is not Rational IMHO. :)
Exactly!

rajasaranam
14th August 2009, 04:26 PM
Exactly!

Infact 'Ella Pugazhum Iraivanukku' (Glory to Thee) is not even about giving back the fame that is yours. Its about Telling 'He is the reason behind all my fame'. Its a shortened version of 'Enathu ella Pugazhukkum kaaranam Iraivane'. Ithu thaan athoda spiritual context. Raaja has completely misunderstood the premise of this 'Islamic' Quotation eventhough we have some 'Hindu' Parallels to this like 'Potri' or 'Namaha'.

MumbaiRamki
14th August 2009, 04:43 PM

'namachivaaya vaazhaga'nnu sollithaan enna aaga poguthu?-> This is more for theists who believe by chanting God's name , they get purity . Whether it happens or not , i don't know but thats what they claim.

What IR has explained by 'Ellaa pugazh...' is a different perception and i don't think you have read that paper cutting well. The very first line says that this uttered in good spiritual sense and explains what it really means or what it really does not . What our mind does is to think that Raaja meant that ARR hasn't understood it well. Imagine the context if ARR has never uttered this - you would have appreciated it ( Okok ..namma yellam konjam pathi periyaar katchi , so may not )

Not only raaja, so many people have explained what 's meant by Im God' , including Bala , but in different perceptions - in their explanations , they explain by saying what it doesn't mean by that .

I don't know whether Raaja said purposefully (as its by ARR ) or just took the statement and explained ..that only he knows.

ezy0265
14th August 2009, 04:59 PM
adhei!!!!! petcha kuraingadaaaaa....

discuss about the latest release JM, which is simply amazing. Veen petchu etharkku???? makkalaaaa....

Sureshs65
14th August 2009, 05:36 PM
RS,

As you rightly say, 'seri right vidu'. No use fighting about what he said without really knowing the exact words he spoke and in what context he spoke. It is very ezy for us to speak but ezy doesn't want us to speak :D

Anyway, here is my take on JM:

'Ponmani Threil' : Seems like a song welcoming a triumphant prince. Welcome given by a 'young' girl who says that the prince now has to win the battle in the bed!! Lovely tune. The rhythm pattern reminds me of 'Minkodi theril' but the tune is totally different. The first interlude is driven by a chorus. The charanam has a good bass backing. (Sounds synth bass to me) The charanam ends exquisitely. When the pallavi starts again there are more instruments in the background. Second interlude is superb with something like a mandolin playing in the background. It follows the song briefly in the charanam before vanishing. And what is that 'mouth organ type of sound' during the start of the pallavi? What a touch!! The song has amazing movement. Well sung by the two voices.

Nilavu Varum Neram: Starts with a lovely prelude driven by guitars, rhythm and the synth. The female starts in a husky voice accompanied to a constant beat. The first interlude is driven by synth and a guitar which is being plucked. The urgency of passion is conveyed very well by the tune in the charanam. The singer has sung it well though the diction can be better. Well, the diction is very similar to how Namitha speaks :) The second interlude has a nice exchange betweeen the synth and the guitar. Rajasaranam had posted earlier as to how Raja was a master in composing songs about female passion. You can add this song to the list. Reminds me of songs like 'Manchu Kurise Velalo' of Abhinandana.

Poothadu Poovu: A very nice prelude starts this song. When the pallavi starts for a brief while a mandolin follows the song. There is a lot happening in the background. The first interlude has the synth with the mandolin (or some such instrument) coming in once in a while. This is also a song of passion. That makes it three :D The second interlude has the mandolin type instrument playing leisurely first and then the synth taking over. This instrument is probably what prompted Karthik of milliblog to call this a Latino effect and RS calls this Mid Eastern. Doesn't matter. It is great tune with a lovely rhythm. I love the orchestration throughout this song.

Kattikita Rasavathan: Seems to be a fun situation type of song. Not very impressive I would say though there is some nice synth bass backing during the pallavi.

Unnai Vittal: This is the 'dilemma' song of Raja. What I mean is that if Raja does this type of song, guys jump up and say that 'why is he doing the same old stuff. He should retire.' On the other hand he does something new, guys jump up and say, 'why is he doing all this stuff. Why doesn't he do something conventional' :D Anyway, a well orchestrated song, well sung by Chitra. Lucky that he chose Chitra for the Bombay singers would have had a tough time getting the Tamil words and the emotion right.

My final take, a nice album with three really good numbers and a good 'Unnai Vittal'. There is lot of new stuff here but critics and bloggers are not willing to look at. For example, it is very difficult to find such a 'lazy' strumming in Raja's songs as in the second interlude of 'Poothadu Poovu'. The overall feel of that song is quite new as well. So if you read someone saying that this album is not fresh, don't believe them. Raja once again proves when it comes to music of 'passion', he has no peers.

Another good thing about the album is that the lyrics are mostly good to very good variety. I like the lyrics both in 'Ponmanitheril' and 'Nilavu Varum Neram'.

dochu
14th August 2009, 07:59 PM
Guess, I joined late with this new controversy.

I think IR is loosing his mind. Most likely suffering from a clinical condition which is associated with aging. Coming from a medical background - these are common among old people. Talking incoherently. I don't want to stamp a name to that in this forum.

Anyway, day by day he is getting confused and some things trigger him to blurt out things like that. What ARR says is good and shows his belief in God. Good for him.

This also reminds me - long time ago, IR wrote - "Iraivanadi" in his autograph for me. Now he is not ok with it?

IR - please stop with music alone. Atleast to me , philosophy is something everybody learns through their experiences. And let's leave it like that.

app_engine
14th August 2009, 08:59 PM
http://entertainment.oneindia.in/tamil/exclusive/2009/cheran-pokkisham-release-140809.html

In the past 45 days, 32 films have been released and only 5 films have managed a week long projection in all the centers. Azhagar Malai is the only exception in this disaster and has got a handful of viewers during weekdays, that too mainly because of Ilayaraja and Vadivelu.

Really?

jaiganes
14th August 2009, 11:35 PM
Raasappu needs to slow down.
naan innum chal chalein lendhe veliya varalai.
Jhoom jhoom so ja and tum bhi dhoondnaa are irresistable delights.

kiru
14th August 2009, 11:55 PM
I like chal chalein a lot. The mp3 rip was not good but if you listen to the youtube clips you can tell it is recorded and mixed well i.e the levels of drums and instruments are at optimum levels. The tunes are also good (maybe not great). Somebody mentioned shehar kya charanams are below par compared to pallavi, I think the charanams reflect the situation and IR tried to make the best out of it in the pallavis. Hariharan gets to showcase his "golden" voice and because of the low key tone I am able to enjoy the song inspite of me biased heavily against the singer (some attitude he has). I think the Bombay film industry surely will notice this and if they feel IR is getting contemporary even to a decent extent they will come to him (they have to pay him less and will get fantastic BGMs as well). IR might not beat Rahman but Hindi films pay well and this should satisfy IRs ego and pocket and like somebody mentioned do a 'la Bachchan' kind of second innings.

Jagan mohini is ok. Crisp recording. No respect for period. ponmeni and nilavu varum are my picks. Somehow feel chitra sounds strained. kattikitta seems to be folk-baila mix like surangani..who knows it might become a popular hit. One thing for sure, this actress, has never danced to better tunes.

kiru
14th August 2009, 11:59 PM
Re: IR speech controversary - I see it positively :-) IR now thinks ARR is his equal and wants to argue with him :-)

Sureshs65
15th August 2009, 12:19 AM
Jai,

Same feelings :) The whole of 'Chal Chalein album is good. 'Chal Chal Chalke' is a superb melody. The two songs you mention are the best picks but the album overall is great. I can't skip even one song. I hope 'SRK' is also released soon.

What Raja now requires is a couple of high profile films. He is getting them in Kannada, 'Prem Kahani', 'Bhagyada Balegara' and Malayalam, 'Pazhassi Raja'. If the same type of banners/ hero happen in Tamil, then the reach will be higher. Nowadays the song does not play on the radio or TV if it is not properly marketed!! Gone are the days when songs were played on the radio just because they were good. Nowadays you need to be an 'exclusive' partner of the FM radio for them to play your song!!

app_engine
15th August 2009, 02:35 AM
Dnt know how Azhagar Malai survied the box office, but doing good business allover the place...nd very much postive review from most of the website's

Since the AM director is doing next Vijay film, SAC's camp holding their breath for AM :lol:

irir123
15th August 2009, 05:00 AM
'chal challke' to me sounds a bit like "Aaj se pehle aaj se jyaadaa" from Chitchor - MD Ravindra jain - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXXhpQPJb9E&feature=PlayList&p=7CA6BD2C73E2ADD2&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=10

'shehar kya' main pallavi sounds like "Hawa ke saath" -especially when the anupallavi in the latter goes "mujhe lek saath chal tu" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w5yv7-cPfs

dochu
15th August 2009, 07:01 AM
Ponmani theril sounds similar to "vennilave vennilave vaa..." by VS (?)

Hulkster
15th August 2009, 09:21 AM
I request people who are easily prone to romance not to listen to nilavu varum and poothadhu poovu in the night. If you all know what i mean LOL

Shouldn't it be the other way around, Hulk? :LOL:

:lol2: but it is bound to generate plenty of emotions.

Hulkster
15th August 2009, 09:34 AM
RS,

As you rightly say, 'seri right vidu'. No use fighting about what he said without really knowing the exact words he spoke and in what context he spoke. It is very ezy for us to speak but ezy doesn't want us to speak :D

Anyway, here is my take on JM:

'Ponmani Threil' : Seems like a song welcoming a triumphant prince. Welcome given by a 'young' girl who says that the prince now has to win the battle in the bed!! Lovely tune. The rhythm pattern reminds me of 'Minkodi theril' but the tune is totally different. The first interlude is driven by a chorus. The charanam has a good bass backing. (Sounds synth bass to me) The charanam ends exquisitely. When the pallavi starts again there are more instruments in the background. Second interlude is superb with something like a mandolin playing in the background. It follows the song briefly in the charanam before vanishing. And what is that 'mouth organ type of sound' during the start of the pallavi? What a touch!! The song has amazing movement. Well sung by the two voices.

Nilavu Varum Neram: Starts with a lovely prelude driven by guitars, rhythm and the synth. The female starts in a husky voice accompanied to a constant beat. The first interlude is driven by synth and a guitar which is being plucked. The urgency of passion is conveyed very well by the tune in the charanam. The singer has sung it well though the diction can be better. Well, the diction is very similar to how Namitha speaks :) The second interlude has a nice exchange betweeen the synth and the guitar. Rajasaranam had posted earlier as to how Raja was a master in composing songs about female passion. You can add this song to the list. Reminds me of songs like 'Manchu Kurise Velalo' of Abhinandana.

Poothadu Poovu: A very nice prelude starts this song. When the pallavi starts for a brief while a mandolin follows the song. There is a lot happening in the background. The first interlude has the synth with the mandolin (or some such instrument) coming in once in a while. This is also a song of passion. That makes it three :D The second interlude has the mandolin type instrument playing leisurely first and then the synth taking over. This instrument is probably what prompted Karthik of milliblog to call this a Latino effect and RS calls this Mid Eastern. Doesn't matter. It is great tune with a lovely rhythm. I love the orchestration throughout this song.

Kattikita Rasavathan: Seems to be a fun situation type of song. Not very impressive I would say though there is some nice synth bass backing during the pallavi.

Unnai Vittal: This is the 'dilemma' song of Raja. What I mean is that if Raja does this type of song, guys jump up and say that 'why is he doing the same old stuff. He should retire.' On the other hand he does something new, guys jump up and say, 'why is he doing all this stuff. Why doesn't he do something conventional' :D Anyway, a well orchestrated song, well sung by Chitra. Lucky that he chose Chitra for the Bombay singers would have had a tough time getting the Tamil words and the emotion right.

My final take, a nice album with three really good numbers and a good 'Unnai Vittal'. There is lot of new stuff here but critics and bloggers are not willing to look at. For example, it is very difficult to find such a 'lazy' strumming in Raja's songs as in the second interlude of 'Poothadu Poovu'. The overall feel of that song is quite new as well. So if you read someone saying that this album is not fresh, don't believe them. Raja once again proves when it comes to music of 'passion', he has no peers.

Another good thing about the album is that the lyrics are mostly good to very good variety. I like the lyrics both in 'Ponmanitheril' and 'Nilavu Varum Neram'.

Wonderful review :D :thumbsup:

irir123, there is not even a single connection. Inspirations/lifts have to be quite strong and atleast over a prolonged period of time. This one lasts two seconds and there isnt sufficient tone change to indicate as such.

Sureshs65
15th August 2009, 11:05 AM
irir123,

Sorry but I don't see the similarities. I know both the songs you had mentioned. 'Chal Chal Chalke' and 'Sheyar Hai' are definitely original songs.

cry_sandiego
15th August 2009, 12:02 PM
I liked all 4 songs on the first listen itself.. 3 very energetic songs except for Unnai Vittal running on expected lines.. but i liked that too !

Lyrics are much better than AM but still could have been better..

( a couple of songs sound a bit like YS Raja but it could be just me..)

Cheers
MSK

Hulkster
15th August 2009, 12:18 PM
Does Nilavu Varum Neram qualify as a New Age composition? Certainly the interludes have a tinge of New Age music.

rajaalltheway
15th August 2009, 01:58 PM
JM sucks big time !

A movie aimed at titillating and pocketing some quick dough..an effort aimed at complete exploitation of front benchers apettite
for flashing flesh garnished with tacky fx (in all possibility) has got
musically what it deserves.The song 'Unnai Vittal' is just a signature
from the great one acknowledging "yes iam a part of this..sorry".
U need not get that upset raja_fan...be cool...

Sanjeevi
15th August 2009, 02:06 PM
Listened JM songs couple of times, my take

I love the Chithra song 'Unnai Vittal' especially the raja's tune and some sounds 2nd interlude which will be very opt for this type movies. Secondly Ponmani theril and Nilavu songs are snacks. Though I liked Kattikitta in parts it fails to impress at second part of saranam. Poothathu does not attract me atleast now.

anegan
15th August 2009, 03:47 PM
JM sucks big time !

Why would IR talk about ARR. I don't understand who created the whole story.

JM is not a very inspiring album. But, raja_fan please be cool.

kameshratnam
15th August 2009, 06:23 PM
Ada ponga pa...chennai cityla neria shops and shopping malls la patthachu...

HELL HELL HELL.....NO WHERE I CUD FIND THE ORIGINAL CDS OF CHAL CHALEIN....JAGANMOHINI

ANA WEBSITELA ONDI ORIGINAL KORIGINAL MESSAGE VERA

PR DOWN DOWN WASTE WASTE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

sudhakarg
15th August 2009, 07:59 PM
'chal challke' to me sounds a bit like "Aaj se pehle aaj se jyaadaa" from Chitchor - MD Ravindra jain - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXXhpQPJb9E&feature=PlayList&p=7CA6BD2C73E2ADD2&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=10

'shehar kya' main pallavi sounds like "Hawa ke saath" -especially when the anupallavi in the latter goes "mujhe lek saath chal tu" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w5yv7-cPfs

:cool2: Same here!

Hulkster
16th August 2009, 10:06 AM
Listening to kattikitta raasavathaan from JM. If you actually give it a thorough listen you will realise thalaivar has experimented with the percussions. Second interlude starts off with a techno synchronization with drums which is so unique. I think song is based on a comical sequence which explains the funny synth sounds at times. :D

There is a brief change into melody just before she repeats the main stanza which reminded me a little of hodadavne. Although not the best, it does show that thalaivar is king when it comes to percussion rhythms. Well he is king of everything. :notworthy:

gopiharan
16th August 2009, 11:57 AM
watch for the instrumental version (Sax) of Chal Chalein in the end credits of the movie...simply awesome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHqp-cmF5Jo&feature=related

Sureshs65
16th August 2009, 12:49 PM
Kamesh,

Looks like 'chak Chakein' is _only_ available in Planet M. I finally found time to get there today and buy it. I have tried all other stores but no one had even heard of it. So check out for some Planet M showroom in Chennai. You may get it.

JM still to make her appearance in B'lore. I guess she will there in a day or two :)

Sureshs65
16th August 2009, 02:21 PM
Gopi,

Thanks for the link. amazing sax playing. I am sure someone like raagas who likes instrumentals will love this. Whoever played the sax has done a great job.

Sureshs65
16th August 2009, 02:24 PM
Oops. Kamesh, that should read 'Chal Chalein' :)

fan_ir
16th August 2009, 04:53 PM
watch for the instrumental version (Sax) of Chal Chalein in the end credits of the movie...simply awesome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHqp-cmF5Jo&feature=related

If the end credits is Sax then the title is amazing whistle of "Shehar Hai"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tST8EOxCdW0&feature=related

Look who is first on the list :D

MumbaiRamki
16th August 2009, 06:02 PM
JM - not even one song impressed me ...Afterthe recent ramp ups , this was a let down for me :(

kameshratnam
16th August 2009, 06:34 PM
@ Mumbai Ramki

Looks like i shd feel happy that i still havent heard it

dochu
16th August 2009, 09:21 PM
To me , JM doesn't seem to have 'soul' in it. Which is what mostly seen in his late upcomings.

vigneshram
16th August 2009, 09:53 PM
To all who feel that JM is a let down...

give a few more listens and then come to a conclusion

Even I felt very disappointed on first listen and dismissed the album. But now, I just love the songs.

MumbaiRamki
16th August 2009, 11:05 PM
dochu ,
I wouldnt agree with that statement ..though JM didn't impress me ..Possibly i was expecting a grand score and the album no where met the expectations...

Sureshs65
16th August 2009, 11:30 PM
I think each one had a different expectation from JM and hence the problems. I am impressed with three of the songs and I love the orchestration. All this about Raja's recent songs not having 'soul' is pure bunkum.

writeface
17th August 2009, 12:57 AM
I had no expectations from IR for JM. The original JM is a C-grade movie. It is nothing but a typical ultra-soft porno movie. Having watched it already I knew the score won't be another UO or similar. Given all that, the score seems to be totally agreeable to me. I love the kattikittaa song now. I don't care much for the amman song. Rest seem okay.

Wf.

Plum
17th August 2009, 10:31 AM
Vaalmiki after multiple hearings is quite good.
Poo Sirikkidhu is catchy and addictive. "Eppodhum enna pathi edhum, eNNiyE pathadhilla naanum" part of the tune is heart-warming.

Oli tharum sooriyan is reflective and serene, at the same time expressing a stifled sigh in its tune. The hesitant, sigh-filled "i am not worthy but Iam still the right choice for you" refrains are captured well in the tune.

Kooda Varuviya is a fine melody, nothing more but what of that?

Didnt care much for the fun songs.

NormalMan
17th August 2009, 11:07 AM
Romba romba sumrarana album .... nothing much to rave.

Sanjeevi
17th August 2009, 11:25 AM
As someone said Ponmani Theril has a striking similarity with Vennilava song of Senkottai (MD: VS) in the first line.

Sureshs65
17th August 2009, 12:20 PM
Plum,

'Poo Sirikudhu' Rahul Nambiyar. This guy is getting some nice songs under IR. This song, 'Swapnangal' and 'Nanavale Nannusira anavale' (Prem Kahani) and he is a doing a decent job of the songs he has been given. If he continues the same way, he has a good future. I like him better than Madhu B, Vijay Yesudas, Tippu et al.

irir123
18th August 2009, 03:57 AM
Looks like 'Chal chalein' as a film is a pootta case!

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/entertainment/filmy-friday-chal-chalein-teree-sang-agyaat_100228480.html

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/moviereview/4863894.cms

with his releases in other languages not having much of a chance to get a big name, its time IR seriously considers staying away from films, and stick to release of creative albums, maybe create a new genre and storm the elitist music circles - else, he himself wud start getting the jaded feeling sooner or later

irir123
18th August 2009, 04:11 AM
JM as an album is embarassing - unimaginative tunes/interludes - 'puthathu poovu' and 'unnai vittaal' are the exceptions - 'kattikittaa' reminds me of some earlier song, doesnt strike me which one

After listening to the title theme piece of 'inimey naangadhaan' yesterday, JM is unpalatable - I dont want to hear such stuff from IR

Hulkster
18th August 2009, 06:03 AM
JM as an album is embarassing - unimaginative tunes/interludes - 'puthathu poovu' and 'unnai vittaal' are the exceptions - 'kattikittaa' reminds me of some earlier song, doesnt strike me which one

After listening to the title theme piece of 'inimey naangadhaan' yesterday, JM is unpalatable - I dont want to hear such stuff from IR

The problem with those describing this album as a washout is that they refuse to understand the situations that they are composed for. And besides this, thalaivar has experimented in the instrumentation for this album(kattikitta raasa and nilavu varum are good examples). I hope that our "IR fans" realise that the core of his music revolves around the orchestration and style. Although it is synth, It is a very unique and sort of evolved style for nilavu varum. You wunt get seductive songs like this.

Its about time you guys stop making it sound like its the dead end like losing a battle. The man seems to enjoy himself and is actually creating a new style in orchestration. That of his old style and a more energetic interpretation of genres. This is a new style that we must slowly listen to get accustomed to unlike his old songs where we can straightaway distinguish them. Those who seriously are too "lost in the past" and expect the album like some sort of musical psychics can leave this thread and stay with your incorrigible attitude elsewhere. There is a big difference between the orkut IR community,IR yahoo group compared to this place.

Currently listening to Shehar hai and nilavu varum. Shehar must be one of its kind where the celtic nuances are present in both aspects of the song(tune and backgrounds) and mixed with a synth-popish rhythm. Wonderful. Nilavu varum is like new age erotic composition highly complemented by a ever flowing rhythm.
:cool:

Sureshs65
18th August 2009, 09:55 AM
I know it is to each his / her own, so this is my own :)

I can categorically state that of all the recent albums of Raja that have been released, 'Jagamohini' is the one where he has let go himself in the orchestration. There is a certain amount of 'tullal' here and if you observe carefully, he also lets instruments go along in a 'lazy' way, not the precise way he introduces and takes out instruments in most of his interludes. You just need to listen carefully and with an open mind. I am enjoying three of the songs just for the very new type of orchestration that has been done.('Poothatu Poovu', 'Ponmani theril' and 'Nilavu Varum Neram') You suddenly hear an electric guitar being plucked, a harmoniam / mouth organ type of sound suddenly glides thru, the mandolin shifts from the right ear to the left, the very lazy way the same mandolin is played in the interludes and many such wonderful touches.

If you are looking for the lush orchestration based on WCM, then you should be hearing 'Swapnangal Kannezhudiya' and 'Yenidu' where the strings play a glorious part but Jaganmohini is not that. It has a different tone and color. Call it 'new age' like Hulk does but I have never been a fan of these terminologies. All I know is that the orchestration in Jaganmohini is that of a man who is enjoying himself and his music. There is so much happening in the background all the while. RS, while commenting on Valmiki, said that Raja has now found the right synth keys. JM proves that to be true. This is indeed a new, vigorous and energetic Raja. Definitely not the work of someone who is feeling jaded.

We all demand so much from Raja. 'Speak properly in the functions, release the symphony, popularize yourself in the west, show some humility, stop making film music, start making private albums' and what not. Through his music, Raja is asking us only one thing. That you have faith in him and listen carefully and with an open mind. If you do, there is a huge treasure to be discovered. And that treasure also includes Jaganmohini.

vel
18th August 2009, 10:50 AM
heard chal chalein, jagan mohini and prem kahani all 3 yesterday...wow, how young are his compositions !

rajkumarc
18th August 2009, 11:02 AM
Just listening to Jegan Mohini.

Nilavu Varum Neram is awesome. I have never heard this kind of synth & techno beats from IR recently. The song has the seduction feel written all over it.

kameshratnam
18th August 2009, 11:41 AM
Pls all those who support originals..forgive

I COULD NOT GET THE AUDIO CDS

FOR THOSE WHO DIDNT GET IT

HERE WE GO

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ennizozny3m/Jegan

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: JAGAN MOHINI

Hulkster
18th August 2009, 05:26 PM

HERE WE GO

Have you sort of gone mad? :roll: Well some of them in IR yahoo group got the CDs yesterday. Papers have also been describing that the CD sales are going at a rapid pace.

kameshratnam
18th August 2009, 06:03 PM

HERE WE GO

Have you sort of gone mad? :roll: Well some of them in IR yahoo group got the CDs yesterday. Papers have also been describing that the CD sales are going at a rapid pace.

Hulk, I could nt get the cds when i visited some music shops on saturday and sunday. This is for the benefit all ir fans....if u got the cds well and good....
.i dont know about IR egroups since for me mayyam.com is the best and this is where i get honest and good reviews on all IR albums

Fliflo
18th August 2009, 08:17 PM
I could nt get the cds when i visited some music shops on saturday and sunday.

Possibly sold out! Just thinking positively for a change :))

vel
18th August 2009, 08:18 PM
hulk, i got the 3 CDs couriered by starr trak coimbatore.

Hulkster
18th August 2009, 08:30 PM
Hulk, I could nt get the cds when i visited some music shops on saturday and sunday. This is for the benefit all ir fans....if u got the cds well and good....
.i dont know about IR egroups since for me mayyam.com is the best and this is where i get honest and good reviews on all IR albums

Honest and good reviews? :roll: with the exception of some, most of the reviews are hasty and over critical without even relating to HIS music. Sometimes the yahoo group and orkut comm give me a relief. :thumbsup:

Anyway the CDs are availabe in chennai music world(courtesy of orkut ir community : alex) and like vel sir mentioned in the form of courier service. I too believe they have been selling quite fast as stated by media reports. :D

BTW Sureshji, excellent writeup :2thumbsup:

raja_fan
18th August 2009, 09:09 PM
Listened to Kattikkitta rasavathan after reading some enthusiastic posts from people here..
pathetic.. :(

Sureshs65
18th August 2009, 10:32 PM
r_f,

I think you should listen to the other songs in JM. They are definitely much better than this song.

kiru
19th August 2009, 04:01 AM
After listening to chal chalein and jagan mohini today, I probalby will want to share my increased enthusiam for these with the team here. chal chalein, I think, brings mme back the memories of hindi melodies I heard on radio and records at my relatives's place (an army family) in my childhood. Maybe the hindi filmdom should give IR more opportunities and he will return hindi film music to the glorious melodic age. The songs are so soft and tender as well that befits a youth subject, inspite of the agressive rock sounds.
Re: JM - ponmanitheEril should lend itself well for a grand picturization in regal costume. I think IR has added some twists to the normal flow of his tune. Maybe this is where some people are hitting some speedbumps. For eg. I feel in the charanams it is as though two people are singing. THe chorus (in ponmani thEril) also seem un-IRish but if you listen carefully it takes two or three turns whereas other MDs might have let it go straight.
unnai vittaal seems forced/cliched. Maybe IR did it to redeem himself :-) If I were him I would not worry too much- he is not being half as bad as in sakala kalaa vallavan. kattikitta is a fun song. raja_fan should not take it seriously. Personally, I like ponmani and nilavu varum. I like fun songs too :-)

jaiganes
19th August 2009, 05:11 AM
nilavu varum - Rocks and whats with the whacky crazy arrangements of ponmani theril.
Very unorthodox album - a googly from Raja - no wonder people(sworn loyalists too) are flummoxed here - But this one is a winner in the scale of innovation - what with the outlandish orchestration and spunky groovy instrumentation - it is a never before heard music for this genre film.

dochu
19th August 2009, 05:54 AM
My picks from JM:
1. Ponmani theril....especially the 2nd interlude with the egyptian kind of music. very nice touch.
2. Nilavu

Other songs ...ok.

Guess IR found a replacement for 'Usha uthup' to sing 'nasal' & 'western' mathiri.

Is it the old chitra singing unnai vittal? She still has good voice.

Compared to valmiki (songs like ennada paandi), this album is much better overall.

However, IR could have experimented and brought about more unique tunes considering grandiose nature of the movie.

Sureshs65
19th August 2009, 09:16 AM
Jai,

Very well said. Definitely a 'googly' from Raja. You have expressed what the album stands for very well. A very innovative album, atleast the three songs I like :)

vem
19th August 2009, 11:11 AM
Guys,

After a long time, I turned to Nandalala song Onnukunnu..... Even though, I didn't like it that much initially, it is so soothing now especially in the midst of silence of the night....

I think we need to give time value to IR songs - since even if his songs sound mediocre when they get released, turn out to be medicine after sometime...........

This song is just out of the world !

Also, I concur with other folks regarding JM - The song poo pootha song is very sexy with a catchy tune.

Long live IR !

NOV
19th August 2009, 01:24 PM
In Malaysia

Hi.... Vanakkam to everyone. Modern Media going to release Ilaiyaraaja' s 'ISAIYIN ISAI' volume 2 on next month. 2 advertisement space available at Isaiyin Isai' cd cover and inside label view. Easy to promote your product via our release. Anybody interest promote your product at our Isaiyin Isai cd cover kindly contact Mr.Mathi(Sales & Marketing Executive ) 016-254 1489 or Mr.Balan(Sales Executive) 016 619 1565 or mymodernmedia@ gmail.com. Nanri.

kameshratnam
19th August 2009, 07:42 PM
Why dont u ask sayee.com to advertise in the same or else u can ask Agilan Lechman to do an ad :D

Sureshs65
19th August 2009, 09:44 PM
Loving Jaganmohini. It has been quite a while since I laughed out loud hearing the orchestration for a song and I did that for three of the JM songs. Jai used the right word to describe the album, 'A googly'. What a wacky album it is for a wacky film!! Now it looks so logical that the album is shaped up this way and not like 'Uliyin Osai'. Raja is definitely having fun in this album. And so am I :)

jaiganes
19th August 2009, 11:19 PM
Loving Jaganmohini. It has been quite a while since I laughed out loud hearing the orchestration for a song and I did that for three of the JM songs. Jai used the right word to describe the album, 'A googly'. What a wacky album it is for a wacky film!! Now it looks so logical that the album is shaped up this way and not like 'Uliyin Osai'. Raja is definitely having fun in this album. And so am I :)

what about that 'lele lele' chorus - I was initially 'what the..' and a while later when it blended with the orchestration - It was fun unbelievable.

Sureshs65
19th August 2009, 11:34 PM
Yup Jai. That was a WT moment. Especially when a couple of voices in the chorus almost shout at the end!! Rare to hear that in Raja's album. Here is an album where he has let go while still retaining control!!

jaiganes
20th August 2009, 12:48 AM
Yup Jai. That was a WT moment. Especially when a couple of voices in the chorus almost shout at the end!! Rare to hear that in Raja's album. Here is an album where he has let go while still retaining control!!

I dont know about N.K.Viswanathan, but the late master Vittalacharya would have loved to let loose couple of kutti saathaans in disguise as voluptuous young women sing 'Lay lay lay' crazy.
In fact this is my visual imagination of this song -
" hero( a prince) on a grand conquest loses his way into the forest of the jagan mohini and chances upon an oasis - created by the mohini - the outwardly splendour is actually conjured up by a team of ghosts - vedhalams and saathaans - Our hero is entertained by a team of ghosts thus to the crazy freaking song of Raaja."
No album of recent times has evoked such mental images.
I hope N.K.Viswanathan does justice to craziness of Vittalacharya.

irir123
20th August 2009, 02:22 AM
listened to JM again - 'ponmani theril' still sucks the same as before - contrary to what others say, the song fails to evoke any kind of images for me

raja_fan
20th August 2009, 08:52 AM
Mysterious connection between Vidhyasagar and IR seems to resurface again with "Pon mani theril.."

Just humming the pallavi of this song leads me automatically to that catchy humming "Sa sa ni sa..sa ri ri.." of "Vennilaave vellai poove" from Senkottai !

Any one feels the same ? ;)

dochu
20th August 2009, 09:17 AM
Raja_fan,
I noticed that too. And posted earlier. But nobody commented.

http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=13266&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=150

Thought maybe same raga or whatever. :oops:

Sureshs65
20th August 2009, 10:50 AM
raja_fan,

Recently it was debated here is Raja has lost the fun quotient after he turned spiritual. I think it is the other way round. We, raja fans, have turned so spiritual that we cannot enjoy the fun :) :LOL

Sanjeevi
20th August 2009, 11:05 AM
Yes I too feel quite striking similaries in both the tune particularly in the starting line

rajasaranam
20th August 2009, 12:20 PM

Nilavu Varum Neram is awesome. I have never heard this kind of synth & techno beats from IR recently. The song has the seduction feel written all over it.

Very Yuvanish :D But listen to the way he constantly keeps changing the Rhythms like free flowing river, while Yuvan would have struck with a monotonous/constant loop. Athaan Inga mattum Thanthai 16 adi paayvaaru :idea: This song is the Top Pick for me from the album.

Iam happy for the album is well received by the fans over here apart from some :)

jaiganes
20th August 2009, 11:02 PM

Very Yuvanish :D But listen to the way he constantly keeps changing the Rhythms like free flowing river, while Yuvan would have struck with a monotonous/constant loop. Athaan Inga mattum Thanthai 16 adi paayvaaru :idea: This song is the Top Pick for me from the album.

Iam happy for the album is well received by the fans over here apart from some :)

This is absolute Karthikraaja handiwork - those violins in the background before the first charanam are unmistakable karthik raaja signatures. This song and ponmani theril are Raaja's best this year in terms of sheer innovation - use of voice, instruments and the recording too - the synth usage is very very groovy. I am in loop for the past 2 days - full volume maximum blast - enjoying it

Sureshs65
20th August 2009, 11:52 PM
Yes, Yes and a double yes. Most innovative tracks. Absolutely. In a loop. Exactly. Full blast. Same here. :) 2009 has been a great year and we still have a few months left!!

venkkiram
21st August 2009, 08:35 AM
நிலவு வரும் நேரம் பாடலின் இசை கவர்ந்தது. புதிய ஒலிகள் நிறைந்த பாடல். நிறைய இடங்களில் ஆச்சர்யங்கள் நிறைந்திருந்தது.

ராசைய்யாவின் இசை அருமை என பாராட்ட மனம் வரவில்லை. அன்பர்கள் இங்கே சொல்வதுபோல கார்த்திக் ராஜாதான் பாடல்களை செதுக்கியிருப்பாரோ என்ற ஐயப்பாடு இருக்கிறது. அப்படி ஒருவேளை இருந்தால், எதற்கு ராசைய்யாவை பாராட்ட வேண்டும்?

ராசைய்யாவின் முத்திரையுள்ள "உன்னை விட்டால்" பாடல் ஆரம்பிக்கும் போது பலவித எதிர்பார்ப்புக்களை ஏற்படுத்தியது. ஆனால் போகப் போக ஒரு typical situation பாடலாக மாறும்போது ஈர்க்கவில்லை.

எந்தப் பாடல்களும் உணர்வு ரீதியில் தொடவில்லை.

ராசைய்யாவின் பட எண்ணிக்கையில் ஒன்று கூடியிருக்கிறது. அவ்வளவுதான்.

Sureshs65
21st August 2009, 09:16 AM
venki,

I don't think people expect touching scenes in a Namitha movie!! Touching as in emotional. The music accordingly is not something aimed at moving us emotionally. The producer / director want people to have fun watching the movie and the music accordingly conveys it. The difference being it conveys it in a class which the movie may not live up to. (Atleast going by whatever few scenes I saw yesterday.)

As long as the music is credited to Raja I do not see how we can 'guess' and attribute it to others!!!

raagas
21st August 2009, 11:54 AM
venki,

I don't think people expect touching scenes in a Namitha movie!! Touching as in emotional.

haha.. the clarification was needed.. else, there is some truth in people expecting touching scenes :) but whatever, i havent yet watched the songs and i dont think i would want to.

Fliflo
21st August 2009, 06:49 PM
Read this one too

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-music-reviews/review-1/jaganmohini.html :?

jaiganes
21st August 2009, 08:15 PM
நிலவு வரும் நேரம் பாடலின் இசை கவர்ந்தது. புதிய ஒலிகள் நிறைந்த பாடல். நிறைய இடங்களில் ஆச்சர்யங்கள் நிறைந்திருந்தது.

ராசைய்யாவின் இசை அருமை என பாராட்ட மனம் வரவில்லை. அன்பர்கள் இங்கே சொல்வதுபோல கார்த்திக் ராஜாதான் பாடல்களை செதுக்கியிருப்பாரோ என்ற ஐயப்பாடு இருக்கிறது. அப்படி ஒருவேளை இருந்தால், எதற்கு ராசைய்யாவை பாராட்ட வேண்டும்?

ராசைய்யாவின் முத்திரையுள்ள "உன்னை விட்டால்" பாடல் ஆரம்பிக்கும் போது பலவித எதிர்பார்ப்புக்களை ஏற்படுத்தியது. ஆனால் போகப் போக ஒரு typical situation பாடலாக மாறும்போது ஈர்க்கவில்லை.

எந்தப் பாடல்களும் உணர்வு ரீதியில் தொடவில்லை.

ராசைய்யாவின் பட எண்ணிக்கையில் ஒன்று கூடியிருக்கிறது. அவ்வளவுதான்.

Raja doesnt need any accolades for Jagan mohini - The style of orchestration of nilavu varum is similar to KR's dum dum dum (unn perai chonnaale song ) thats all - neither I nor rajasaranam had any access to the recording studio so to take our statement and add your twist to that and say why does IR need accolades is pretty sick !!
What I have been saying along with suresh and rajasaranam - is that JM is a fun album - with lots of whackiness and freedom. Thats all.
For a movie like this there could not have been a better music score and Raaja has given just that.
Interesting to note that the ludes have been well thought out and worked with a very professional worksmanship that is very intricate - probably not elaborate - but essentially neat and catchy.

venkkiram
22nd August 2009, 09:52 AM
Raja doesnt need any accolades for Jagan mohini - The style of orchestration of nilavu varum is similar to KR's dum dum dum (unn perai chonnaale song ) thats all - neither I nor rajasaranam had any access to the recording studio so to take our statement and add your twist to that and say why does IR need accolades is pretty sick !!

ஒண்ணு மட்டும் விளங்க முடியா கவிதையாகவே இருக்கிறது.

ஒரு சில திரைப் படங்களில் ராசைய்யா ஒரு சில பாடல்களை எழுதியிருப்பார். அந்த திரைப்படங்களில், படம் ஆரம்பிக்கும் போது போடப்படும் எழுத்துக்களில் பாடல்கள் என வரும்போது , மறக்காமல் "இந்தப் பாடல் -- ராசைய்யா" என குறிப்பிடப்படுகிறது.

அதுபோல, இந்த கார்த்திக் ராஜா விஷயத்திலும் , படத்தின் இசை எனப் பெயர் போடும் போது கார்த்திக் ராஜா எந்தப் பாடல்களில் பங்கேற்றார் என எழுதிவிட்டாலே இந்த சந்தேக பனிப்படலம் நீங்கி விடும்.

எனக்கும் அமைதிப்படை பார்த்துவிட்டு வெளியே வரும்போது, ராசைய்யா ராசைய்யாதான் .. அப்பப்பா.. என்ன மாதிரி ட்யூன் போட்டிருக்கார் "சொல்லிவிடு வெள்ளி நிலவே" பாடலுக்கு என பாராட்டி வந்தேன். கொஞ்ச நாள் கழித்து, ஒரு பேட்டியில் கார்த்திக் ராஜா, "அந்த மெட்டு எங்கையோ ஒரு வெளியூருக்கு சென்ற போது சட்டென மனதில் தோன்றியது" என போட்டுடைத்தார்.

இணையத்தளத்தில் உலாவியபோது, "இவண்" படப் பாடல் "அப்படி பார்க்குறதின்னா" கூட கார்த்திக்கின் கைவண்ணம் எனப் படித்தேன். இது எந்த அளவுக்கு உண்மை எனத் தெரியாது.

ஏன் வெளிப்படையாக ஒரு பாடலை கார்த்திக் தான் செய்தார் என பகிரங்கமாக தெரிவிக்கக் கூடாது? அதில் குறையொன்றுமில்லையே!

இங்க ரசிகர்கள் நிறைய பேர் ராஜாதான் எல்லாமுமே என நினைத்துக்கொண்டு குறிப்பிட்ட பாடல்களை சிலாகித்துக் கொண்டிருப்பதைப் பார்க்கும்போது, அது ஒரு வேளை கார்த்திக்கின் கைவண்ணம் என எதிர்காலத்தில் தெரியவந்தால் எப்படியிருக்கும் என யோசித்துப் பாருங்கள்!

jaiganes
22nd August 2009, 10:34 AM

ஒண்ணு மட்டும் விளங்க முடியா கவிதையாகவே இருக்கிறது.

ஒரு சில திரைப் படங்களில் ராசைய்யா ஒரு சில பாடல்களை எழுதியிருப்பார். அந்த திரைப்படங்களில், படம் ஆரம்பிக்கும் போது போடப்படும் எழுத்துக்களில் பாடல்கள் என வரும்போது , மறக்காமல் "இந்தப் பாடல் -- ராசைய்யா" என குறிப்பிடப்படுகிறது.

அதுபோல, இந்த கார்த்திக் ராஜா விஷயத்திலும் , படத்தின் இசை எனப் பெயர் போடும் போது கார்த்திக் ராஜா எந்தப் பாடல்களில் பங்கேற்றார் என எழுதிவிட்டாலே இந்த சந்தேக பனிப்படலம் நீங்கி விடும்.

எனக்கும் அமைதிப்படை பார்த்துவிட்டு வெளியே வரும்போது, ராசைய்யா ராசைய்யாதான் .. அப்பப்பா.. என்ன மாதிரி ட்யூன் போட்டிருக்கார் "சொல்லிவிடு வெள்ளி நிலவே" பாடலுக்கு என பாராட்டி வந்தேன். கொஞ்ச நாள் கழித்து, ஒரு பேட்டியில் கார்த்திக் ராஜா, "அந்த மெட்டு எங்கையோ ஒரு வெளியூருக்கு சென்ற போது சட்டென மனதில் தோன்றியது" என போட்டுடைத்தார்.

இணையத்தளத்தில் உலாவியபோது, "இவண்" படப் பாடல் "அப்படி பார்க்குறதின்னா" கூட கார்த்திக்கின் கைவண்ணம் எனப் படித்தேன். இது எந்த அளவுக்கு உண்மை எனத் தெரியாது.

ஏன் வெளிப்படையாக ஒரு பாடலை கார்த்திக் தான் செய்தார் என பகிரங்கமாக தெரிவிக்கக் கூடாது? அதில் குறையொன்றுமில்லையே!

இங்க ரசிகர்கள் நிறைய பேர் ராஜாதான் எல்லாமுமே என நினைத்துக்கொண்டு குறிப்பிட்ட பாடல்களை சிலாகித்துக் கொண்டிருப்பதைப் பார்க்கும்போது, அது ஒரு வேளை கார்த்திக்கின் கைவண்ணம் என எதிர்காலத்தில் தெரியவந்தால் எப்படியிருக்கும் என யோசித்துப் பாருங்கள்!

ஓஹோ அப்படியா என்று சொல்லிவிட்டு நாங்கள் நகர்ந்து போய் விடுவோம். நீங்கள் அப்படியே உட்கார்ந்து விட்டீர்கள் பாவம்.
இதற்கும் நானும் ராஜாசரணம் சொன்ன விஷயங்களை ஆதாரமாகக்காட்டி கல் எறியாமல் இருந்திருக்கலாம்.

rajasaranam
23rd August 2009, 10:23 AM
ஓஹோ அப்படியா என்று சொல்லிவிட்டு நாங்கள் நகர்ந்து போய் விடுவோம். நீங்கள் அப்படியே உட்கார்ந்து விட்டீர்கள் பாவம்.
இதற்கும் நானும் ராஜாசரணம் சொன்ன விஷயங்களை ஆதாரமாகக்காட்டி கல் எறியாமல் இருந்திருக்கலாம்.
:D

Yes JG I've never felt bad when on a later date I came to know KR had his hand on some songs. Like 'Aathma' songs were a revelation to me once when I saw in a TV interview KR telling that 3 songs in that film were "composed" by him. Family matters Avlothaan. Ithula poi enna emaatrapattomnnu naama kavalai padarathukko Varuthapadrathukko irukku?!! We can worry for KR because he is not getting his due recognition being more talented than YSR and he has to hide behind his Dad to bring out his Musical Ideas.

And I seriously dont think that Raaja would be behind blocking KR's name in Titles. I have seen some of his interviews he was genuinely worried about KR not able to make it. Even during the Thiruvaassagam release He was proudly saying in one interview 'Karthick' evalo velai panni irukaannu yaarukkum theriyaathu and he explained about how KR recreated the whole score sheet when the Originals were spoilt due to some reasons.

MumbaiRamki
24th August 2009, 01:06 AM
Infact ..one of my guess is that the entire orchestration of Sambhu songs could have been done by KR ... I can easily see big similarities between Hoo anthiya , vaanchinaathan, Dumm Dumm,16 december orchestrations with these ...

But ultimately what natters is if i liked it ..sambhu is one of very favourities ,....
(BTW , how many f you saw jegan mohini program today ? its indeed a period film ..But certain costumes resembled contemporary ... Movie looks like cheap to avaregae graphics work ..picturisation was ok and not bad as i expected )

Sureshs65
24th August 2009, 01:19 AM
Ramki,

I did see parts of the JM program. Graphics look like done for TV!!! Not sure how the film would run.

I agree with you on Sambu. I like the album and the orchestration.

SVN
25th August 2009, 08:10 PM
The producers of JM just need to sell the distribution rights to Sun Pictures. Kalanidhi Maran & Co will ensure that the movie is declared a hit on Sun TV, even before the preview show. It will continue to be No.1 on the countdown list for weeks to come, even if the audience stays away from the theatres. You will never know, they might even get the CM to give tax excemption for this 'Thirai Kaaviyam', citing the 'social service' message from Namitha and Jyothilakshmi paatti.

Sureshs65
25th August 2009, 11:06 PM
SVN,

LOL :lol: Very very true.

I am sick and tired of the same songs being played most of the time in Sun TV. All songs from their films. I think you can take in songs from a movie like 'Masilamani' only to a certain extent. The only exception being what they screen at 11pm nowadays. 'Andha Nilava Than' is being played now.

raja_fan
26th August 2009, 12:06 PM
Yes, "ninaiththaale inikkum" programme at 11 PM.

Ulagaththila nalla vishayangal ellaame ippo pinnukku thallappattu edho A padam maadhiri kallath thanamaa raaththiri ellorum thoongiya pin paarkka vendiyirukkiradhu :(

raajarasigan
26th August 2009, 04:05 PM
[tscii:875df9357d]Jaganmohini Music review

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/musicreview/10320.html

Jaganmohini, a remake of yesteryear mythological thriller by Vittalacharya, is directed by N K Viswanathan and it stars Namitha, Raja, Vadivelu, Nila, Jothilakhsmi along with others.

Maestro Illayaraja has scored music for the movie and has come with catchy songs. The likes of Chitra, Ujaini, Swetha among others have sung the songs. Lyrics by Vaali and Muthukumar worth a mention.

1. Ponmani Theril - Listen here

Singer: Yeya Shinde

Illayaraja’s mastery in coming up with catchy notes is the hallmark of the song. The wonderful chorus combined with catchy percussion gives sheen. Though the tune sounds familiar, the pace at which the song goes makes one fall for it. Shinde’s voice is adequate.

2. Nilavu Varum Neram - Listen here

Singer: Swetha, Ujaini

A soft number. What strikes instantly is its lovely rhythms. Watch out for its interesting interlude. Swetha and Ujaini give their best oozing with energy. Muthukumar’s lyric sets the right momentum. The song is more of technology meeting vintage melody.

3. Poothadhu Poovu - Listen here

Singer: Rahul Nambiar, Rita

Seemingly inspired by a classical tune, Raja has come out with a song that is typical of his style. Melody from Raja’s hut is at its best. Tune your ears for youthful lyric by Vaali. Rita and Rahul have sung in contrasting styles. Soft and sweet is what the song is all about.

4. Kattikkitta Raasa - Listen here

Singer: Rahul, Nancy Vincent, Bogi

It is the best in the album. A fusion of melody and western music, it has all essential touches of Illayaraja. The song has catchy rhythms and light music interludes. The trio of Nancy, Rahul and Bogi are at their best.

5. Unnai Vittal - Listen here

Singer: Chitra

Isn’t it a delight to listen to Chitra’s voice especially when the song is set to tunes by maestro Illayaraja? She sings the sing with utmost ease but strikes one instantly. A racy rhythm, the song has everything in it to strike the masses. The percussion of Illayaraja’s music always stands unique. And it is in this song.

On the whole, the audio of ‘Jaganmohini’ is of Illayaraja’s touch. He has proved his mastery in scoring music for a mythology movie, which is a rarity these days.

[/tscii:875df9357d]

SVN
26th August 2009, 08:49 PM
As for Ponmani Theril, is it Yeya Shinde, as mentioned in the album cover? Methinks it's a typo. Unless

a) The album designer listened to the first few seconds of the song (the chorus line that goes like 'Yeya Yeye') and typed the name Yeya instead of Bela.

OR

b) Bela Shinde's parents, in a creative mood, decided to call their second daughter Yeya!

krish244
27th August 2009, 09:42 AM
Palaivanacholai is being remade. "Megame Megame" retained

http://tamil.galatta.com/entertainment/livewire/id/Megame_Megame_numberretained_29331.html

thanks,

Krishnan

crvenky
27th August 2009, 10:09 AM
Krishnan, What blasphemy by media!
Palaivanacholai is by Shankar - Ganesh.

MumbaiRamki
27th August 2009, 01:22 PM
And megame , megame is a copy :)

krish244
27th August 2009, 02:31 PM
Yes crvenkky, I had serious doubts that megame song was not by IR, but then could not recollect who was the MD. Now I remember it to be by SG.

Yes, its a terrible negligence by the media.

MumbaiRamki, is megame a copy (hindi song?)? I did not know. I thought it was a original melody.

thanks,

Krishnan

Sanjeevi
27th August 2009, 02:40 PM
No wonder SG Devavukku munnodi ithula :lol:

Many Neeya songs were copied from hindi and he even copied and I remember he even blatantly copied IR's 'rosapoo aadivanthathu' song

app_engine
27th August 2009, 04:34 PM
digression
mEghamE, mEghamE was copied from a Hindi ghazal and both were featured in the 'mettondRu, pAttuppala' program (expose) in the ilangai oliparappu koottu sthApanam - thamizh sEvai 2 :-)

Ofcourse, that was by S-G and pAlaivanachchOlai was one of their most successful films, kumudam "lights on" fellow even wrote that they've replaced IR from top spot with that product.

Sureshs65
27th August 2009, 04:35 PM
Krish,

Yup. "Megame Megame" is a copy of a ghazal. I think it goes something like "Tum Nahin Gum Nahim" or something like that. IIRC it was a ghazal sung by Ghulam Ali.

Sureshs65
27th August 2009, 05:51 PM
BTW, Jaganmohini Audio still not available in Bangalore. When I go to the shop I see the audio of almost every new movie with some unknown MDs gracing the shelf but no Jaganmohini. Why this lackluster distribution? Had to slog in order to get 'Chal Chale'.

raja_fan
27th August 2009, 07:15 PM
Suresh,

Don't be angry...but do you think JM or ChalChalein are as important as IR worshippers think ?

Namma nilamai appadi irukku..enna seiyya..:(

Sureshs65
27th August 2009, 07:36 PM
r_f,

I can understand about Chal Chalein. It was not promoted at all and the movie was not very professional looking. I thought JM would be different for all the noises they have been making.

krish244
28th August 2009, 08:45 AM
Krish,

Yup. "Megame Megame" is a copy of a ghazal. I think it goes something like "Tum Nahin Gum Nahim" or something like that. IIRC it was a ghazal sung by Ghulam Ali.

Oh ic. I am curiuos to hear the original. Its sad to know that one of my favorite song is a copy :(

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
28th August 2009, 10:51 AM
I have listened to that original ghazal. Even Vani Jayaram acknowlwdged it is a copy .

raja_fan
28th August 2009, 10:55 AM
No MD has his hands clean..it seems..

Just this morning I happened to hear the old hindi version of "Aayiraththil oruththi amma nee.." of Sivaji-MSV hit. Not sure it travelled from north or to north.

raja_fan
28th August 2009, 11:04 AM
How many of us know that IR's melody "oru kolakkili.." from Pon Vilangu was a blatant lift from a old Hindi number ( by Raffi I think ) ?

I do not remember that old Hindi number.
Not sure if it is already there at inetk's plagiarism list :)

SVN
28th August 2009, 12:09 PM
Kai Kodutha Deivam was one of Shivaji Ganesan's Tamil movies from the early '60s remade into Hindi in the '70s and starred Amitabh Bachchan in the lead. So, MSV's Tamil song is most likely the original.

raja_fan
28th August 2009, 12:53 PM
Kamal has signed Myskkin ? Another film lost by IR ?

http://beta.thehindu.com/arts/movies/article10126.ece?homepage=true

raja_fan
28th August 2009, 12:54 PM
SVN,

The Hindi number I listened to was by a female..should be Asha Bhonsle..

SVN
28th August 2009, 01:41 PM
From what I have heard, "Ajeeb Dastan Hai Yeh" by Lata Mangeshkar (MD: Shankar Jaikishan) has the closest resemblence to Ayirathil Oruthi Amma Nee's first 2 lines. I am not sure of you are referring to this number.

Plum
28th August 2009, 04:09 PM
From what I have heard, "Ajeeb Dastan Hai Yeh" by Lata Mangeshkar (MD: Shankar Jaikishan) has the closest resemblence to Ayirathil Oruthi Amma Nee's first 2 lines. I am not sure of you are referring to this number.

yeah, i think so, too and the resemblance is passing. As for oru kolakkiLi...waiting for the original. Parts of the first phrase of Teri pyari pyari surat ko pops to mind but thats not even a phrase of resemblance - lets wait for raja_fan to out the original.

raja_fan
28th August 2009, 07:13 PM
Plum,

Raffi songnu sonna udane ungalukku "Teri pyari.." thaan gnyaabagathukku varanumaa ? :)

No..it is not that song. I am planning to find that original through my Northie friends..But they all know IR and may laugh at him if they come to know of the copy..that is what stopping me.. :(

Plum
28th August 2009, 07:33 PM
Plum,

Raffi songnu sonna udane ungalukku "Teri pyari.." thaan gnyaabagathukku varanumaa ? :)

puriyala - I thought of the song because that is the closest approximation to oru kolakili that I could think among Rafi songs.

No..it is not that song. I am planning to find that original through my Northie friends..But they all know IR and may laugh at him if they come to know of the copy..that is what stopping me.. :(

Tune hum paNNI kEkkalAmE - Raja copy adicharnu sollittu kEttA dhaan SolluvAngaLA?