PDA

View Full Version : PUTTANAKANAGAL Movies

Sonia Pai
17th January 2005, 07:19 PM
Hi,
Anyone interested in discussing about movies by PuttanaKannagal. Especially the movie Ranganayaki and KsharaPangara.
Amazing movies by a creative Director and a creatvie writer. Beautiful Kadambaries (novels in Kannada)

I especially like the scene in Ranganayaki where the father tells the son that the person whom you love is actually your mother ( Oedipus complex), the silence later, the hard hitting truth. Its one of the best creative movies I have seen.

In the movie Kshara Pangara, this scene at the banks of the river Kaveri, where Kalpana remembers certain incidents in her past before her wedding. Puttanakanagal has so amazingly directed this scene where in which he lets the viewer decide what actually happened, he doesnt give out what actually happend to Kalpana. I was not actually a fan of Kalpana, cause she acted like a doll. But her role in this movie, was amazing. Her expressions, her eyes. Her statements ' Na Bande, Na Nodde, Na Sote'. from the famous Shakespearean play 'Julius Caesar', 'Veni, Vidi, vici' expect Vici is I lost.
The scene where the actress Kalpana after recovering from her mental illness which probably was Psychotic depression, how the community reacts to the new person. She has come out of the illness. But the stigma associated with the illness, she finds it really difficult to be accepted in the community. Her husband though a nice person, gets into an extra maritial relationship. The ending where how ever hard she tries, she finds that the Community stills considers her as 'MAD'.
In the end, she is unable to handle the rejection from her own family, the unacceptance from the society, she finds it really difficult when people call her 'MAD'. she feels depressed again.

This movie made me realise how important the role of the Community is in the treatment of People with Mental Illness.

I have not introduced myself. Iam Sonia Pai. Iam from Bangalore, and I am working as a Psychiatrist in London.

Do reply to my post,

Cheers,
Sonia.

freespirit
2nd February 2005, 02:19 AM
Honestly, I have no memory of a scene from both of these... I was very young when these released and rem seeing them. But thats about it.

It is really heartening that someone actually wanted to discuss Kannada movies... I have been searching for K movies on the net and cant find one place. If I find these movies, may be I will watch them and come equipped for the discussion.

Any chance you studied in Vijaya Jnr college in Jayanagar, cos I had a classmate by the same name as you...

Tschuss,
Raj

Hi,
Anyone interested in discussing about movies by PuttanaKannagal. Especially the movie Ranganayaki and KsharaPangara.
Amazing movies by a creative Director and a creatvie writer. Beautiful Kadambaries (novels in Kannada)

I especially like the scene in Ranganayaki where the father tells the son that the person whom you love is actually your mother ( Oedipus complex), the silence later, the hard hitting truth. Its one of the best creative movies I have seen.

In the movie Kshara Pangara, this scene at the banks of the river Kaveri, where Kalpana remembers certain incidents in her past before her wedding. Puttanakanagal has so amazingly directed this scene where in which he lets the viewer decide what actually happened, he doesnt give out what actually happend to Kalpana. I was not actually a fan of Kalpana, cause she acted like a doll. But her role in this movie, was amazing. Her expressions, her eyes. Her statements ' Na Bande, Na Nodde, Na Sote'. from the famous Shakespearean play 'Julius Caesar', 'Veni, Vidi, vici' expect Vici is I lost.
The scene where the actress Kalpana after recovering from her mental illness which probably was Psychotic depression, how the community reacts to the new person. She has come out of the illness. But the stigma associated with the illness, she finds it really difficult to be accepted in the community. Her husband though a nice person, gets into an extra maritial relationship. The ending where how ever hard she tries, she finds that the Community stills considers her as 'MAD'.
In the end, she is unable to handle the rejection from her own family, the unacceptance from the society, she finds it really difficult when people call her 'MAD'. she feels depressed again.

This movie made me realise how important the role of the Community is in the treatment of People with Mental Illness.

I have not introduced myself. Iam Sonia Pai. Iam from Bangalore, and I am working as a Psychiatrist in London.

Do reply to my post,

Cheers,
Sonia.