PDA

View Full Version : Restoration of Kuthira Malika Paintings (Padmanabha)

RR
3rd August 2009, 07:52 PM
Restoration of Kuthira Malika Paintings

- Padmanabha

I am a frequent visitor to Kuthira Malika the royal residence of Maharaja Swati Tirunal. I am part of a team which is doing a documentary film on Travancore. The royal family has provided us space in the Palace complex near the temple of Sree Padmanabha Swami and is near to my house as well. Near Kuthira Malika there is a single storied structure. . It is a high building. In the ground floor functions the office of the Kuthria Malika. I prefer to walk through these structures. Sometimes I may sit and sketch or at times I may sit and go through the works of Swati Tirunal or listen to Padmanabha Sathakam.

A row of pictures in the first floor of this office always attract my attention. I will view them from outside though it is not clearly visible. It has been in my mind for long to study these works and due to other pre-occupations I postpone every time. In March 2009, I decided to go there and for that sought His Highness permission and was granted immediately. I was accompanied by a Palace Staff. I climbed the spiral wooden staircase. To my surprise I saw 60 valuable paintings displayed high above the 18ft wall. From below I could see the magnificent works but that was not sufficed and sad to say most of them were affected by termites.

[html:71bdb2787d]http://mayyam.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=174&g2_serialNumber=1
http://mayyam.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=178&g2_serialNumber=1[/html:71bdb2787d]
[html:71bdb2787d]http://mayyam.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=181&g2_serialNumber=1[/html:71bdb2787d]

I informed to His Highness and the next day, a ladder was arranged and I climbed to see the colorful wonders-yes-they were great works on ethnic tribes and are more than 250 years old. The letter used for the captions are square alphabets we find in Granthams. I was thrilled. The same day I informed His Highness and my request to recopy the works was granted. I put aside all my other works and it took one week to recopy them in my digicam. I told His Highness that I can restore these valuable works-as soft copies and then we will think of recopying them on paper or canvas later. He readily agreed and my work began on Patham udayam--tenth day after Chitra Pournami-considered to be an auspicious day.

While restoration, I searched for its background. So far I didnt get any proof to establish who the artist was. Nothing was mentioned in the work. In the meantime I came across similar works-at the Yale University. An unknown artist had executed similar work for Rev Fr William Twining and Daniel Poor-two American Missionaries. The caption of the works was executed by a Madurai based writing master T Varada Pillai. The series was handed over to the Missionaries on 2 Feb 1837.

[html:71bdb2787d]http://mayyam.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=196&g2_serialNumber=1
http://mayyam.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=187&g2_serialNumber=1[/html:71bdb2787d]
[html:71bdb2787d]http://mayyam.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=184&g2_serialNumber=1[/html:71bdb2787d]

What surprised me was the resemblance in the theme. I found similar works here and in the Yale collection. At the same time, I found the following differences.

The Madurai works-are beautiful in the sense that they are extremely graceful-with prominent features. The works I found here are realistic. The Madurai works have no background. Here I saw plenty of huts/houses that too single storied, lot of greenery, swaying coconut palms, the cloudy sky etc. In the Madurai works the male and female of each tribe are essayed separately while here I saw both of them in a single frame.

There was a period when the attire and adornment varied from caste to caste. Thus the works I saw here unveiled this part of the social history. The attire I saw in the Madurai work is rich and gracefully ornamented-highlighting the skill and imagination of the artist-hence non-realistic to some extent.

Also, the Madurai works are executed on paper. Here the works are carried out on a surface of Kummayam-which indicates the evolution of art from the 2D mural works to 3D realistic ones. The works are beautifully shaded. These pictures may be the one evolved and portrayed in this transition period. Decades later the world witnessed the amazing works of Raja Ravi Varma known for realism.

All the works in the Madurai works have captions in Tamil and in English. The works in the Palace have captions in the old Malayalam language and as I said earlier square letters are used. The medium is water color.

The works can be classified into two categories-namely-1. That related to occupations-like carpenter, barber, weaver, flower sellers etc and 2. The people representing paradesis that is aliens-like Marathas, Tulus, Punjabis etc.

These works need further research and study.

vikatan
17th August 2009, 08:35 PM
Dear Sir

This post and all your earlier posts are extremely illuminating and give a lot of knowledge. The depth of research and the details of some information provided are simply amazing.

Thank you and best wishes

padmanabha
17th August 2009, 09:33 PM
THANKS A LOT

padmanabha
1st September 2009, 05:21 PM
I am happy to inform that the state archaelolgical department has finally taken the initiative to renovate this portion of the palace-called Kuzhi malika.

I finished the restoration work. Tomorrow is thiruvonam. By next week, i will be handing over digital print outs of these restored works to His Highness.

Yes...I could do at least this much.

Querida
11th September 2009, 01:57 AM
I'm always keen to learn about re-discoveries such as this. Thank you so much for sharing this treasure with us. What stayed waiting for academics to perchance glance upon in the Yale Collection and what stayed in a palace I doubt many of us will ever see has been revealed to us because of you. :ty:

Please do keep us posted on the making and release of your documentary if you can.

padmanabha
13th September 2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks a lot :D

the Yale collection is available on line
google search "seventy two specimens of castes in India"

it would link u to that awe strucking pictures....

i never knew it but got it accidentaly- :o and :D

padmanabha
14th September 2009, 07:53 AM
[tscii:6077d5c106]
YES..regarding the documentary, we are planning two sets
one is of one hour duration and the other of three hours duration. editing is progressing now. it will be screened at the Ranga vilasam art gallery---

by the way here is my article on Ranga vilasam art gallery published in Deccan Herald--

(COURTESY-DECCAN HERALD-JULY 2009)

HERITAGE

Exposing sepia-tinted memories of a rich past
Uma Maheswari S

The royal family of Travancore owns many simple and neatly built palaces most of them centred near the southeast corner of the Sree Padmanabhswami Temple in Thiruvananthapuram. Palaces in the Fort area are called the Valia Kottaram Palace Complex. Each ruler out of respect and reverence never lived in the palace of his predecessor. Thus arose many palaces in the Fort area which also has the much revered Sree Padmanabhaswami temple, the abode of the titular deity of the rulers of Travancore.
The royal family of Travancore owns many simple and neatly built palaces most of them centred near the southeast corner of the Sree Padmanabhswami Temple in Thiruvananthapuram. Palaces in the Fort area are called the Valia Kottaram Palace Complex. Each ruler out of respect and reverence never lived in the palace of his predecessor. Thus arose many palaces in the Fort area which also has the much revered Sree Padmanabhaswami temple, the abode of the titular deity of the rulers of Travancore.

The Ranga Vilasam Palace which was constructed by Maharaja Swati Tirunal, the monarch-musician in 1839, will now take on the mantle of a heritage gallery-cum-museum when it is formally inaugurated on July 12. It was Sri Chithra Tirunal, who took the initiative to establish an art gallery in this admirable structure. His visit to Europe in 1933, urged him to open an art gallery in Travancore too. This gallery housed many artifacts, Kathakali figurines, Kerala utensils, bell metals vessels, ivory articles, paintings, bronze pieces, china wares, many curios and private collections of the Maharajas who ruled Travancore. However, the art gallery ceased to function in the post-Independence period.

The present maharaja, Sree Uthradam Tirunal Marthanda Varma, who is an eminent photographer and has a rich collection of 10,000 pictures neatly catalogued, wished that the public too have a glimpse of the sepia tinted frames which were virtually slices from an eventful and culturally rich past. He decided to convert the Ranga Vilasam lying vacant to a museum of rare photographs. “It is not possible to display all the pictures in the gallery and selection of 200 pictures was not easy,” admits the Maharaja. His idea was to blow up the pictures to large impressive dimensions so as to enhance the visual appeal. The Maharaja entrusted the renowned press photographer B Jayachandran, photo-editor Malayala Manorama, with this onerous task.

Says Jayachandran, “It took two years to work on the selected frames to give it a larger than life size on canvas. Restoring the pictures also was a manner of reconstructing the blurred events in the history, life and times in the erstwhile state of Travancore. The images that lost clarity were sharpened and the 200 pictures now look fresh but have not lost the mood of the times that it is meant to reflect.”

Visitors would be provided with a head phone so that they can hear a detailed description of each frame, he added. He is also producing a documentary on Travancore to be screened at the gallery. His photographs of Lakshadeepam 2008 (which is observed once in six years) also finds a place in the gallery.

It was Arunacahalam Pillai who brought photopidikkunna ynatram or the first-ever camera to Travancore in 1850. Obviously he took the photographs of the Maharaja. The oldest photograph in the collection was of Ayilayam Tirunal Maharaja (1832-1880) with this wife, taken by the reputed photographers from Calcutta, Bourne and Shepherd. This happens to be one among the priceless collection titled ‘Album of Cartes de visite portraits of Indian rulers and notables’ by Zachariah Curzon.

When Swami Vivekananda visited Travancore in 1892, Prince Aswati Tirunal Marthanda Varma BA, (the first prince among the Indian princes to become a graduate) took the photograph of this great son of India. This rare picture also finds a place in the gallery along with the photograph of the prince.

Successive maharajas had taken interest in commissioning a photographer. Sree Mulam Tirunal appointed William D’ Cruz (D Cruz Junior) as the palace photographer. His collections were compiled by George Nathaniel Curzon who was the Under Secretary of the State (1895-98) and more familiar to us as Lord Curzon, the Viceroy of India during the turn of the 19th century.

The compilation ‘Album of the South Indian Views’ is a valuable collection of pictures which include adoption of the senior and junior Ranis — Sethu Lekshmi Bhayi and Sethu Parvathi Bhayi in 1900 when they were hardly six and four years old.

D Cruz’ other works include the royal wedding of these two princesses, the picture of Sree Padmanabhaswami Temple (1895), the Public Office (1900), the Chief Engineer’s Office (1900), the crowd gathered at the Eastern entrance of the temple on hearing the birth of Sree Chithira Tirunal in 1912, and many more.

Horatio Kitchener, the first Earl of Kitchener of Khartoum and Broome (1850-1916) was the commander-in-chief of India (1902-09), too compiled rare pictures of Travancore ‘Miscellaneous views in India.’ These photographs and the ones taken by N Hariharan and G K Vale were the frozen moments of history which include the investiture ceremony of Sree Chithria Tirunal, the royal weddings, the bi-annual temple festivals.

The maharaja, a good photographer, has recorded for posterity many precious events and places. The aerial view of Thiruvananthapuram taken in 1936 focusing Sree Padmanabhaswami Temple and its suburbs is a breathtaking one.

“My brother Chithira Tirunal presented me a Leica camera in 1936. I was only 13 then. He had discovered my penchant for the frozen frames some years ago during a trip to Mahabalipuram. Handing over a camera, he stoked my interest with the remark, ‘Use the films and click all that you desire. I shall then show it to the people, who will be able to assess the quality of your efforts. Only if they assure me of the potential they can identify in the photographs, will I give you the camera.’ My effort matched the conditions he had set I believe because to this day it has remained in my possession.”

The pictures taken by Uthradam Tirunal Marthanda Varma include unique pictures of the royal family members and royal functions. The maharaja, now 88, was a globe trotter and thus his collections are not limited to Travancore alone. Selected pictures are neatly displayed. The maharaja has a sharp memory and he could identify the personalities and events in each and every stills.

[/tscii:6077d5c106]

Querida
15th September 2009, 06:28 AM
Thank you for that valuable link, it was fascinating to see all the many depictions. The English and Tamil labels themselves were interesting, at times the English just copied the Tamil word not explaining further or not having a direct translation for the title. :clap: to your article, for someone who would have never known any of this, you certainly have opened an inviting and intriguing door. Please if you can, do keep us further updated about your works.

padmanabha
15th September 2009, 08:36 AM
dear friend
i am truly humbled by this gesture

:)