PDA

View Full Version : Radha's Krishna

Shakthiprabha
14th August 2009, 10:38 AM
I am wondering on what happens to Radha when Krishna leaves her / leaves vrindhavan to mathura.

Thousands of spiritual, religious, mythological questions and ponderings and answers.

Radha represents human soul yearning for divine understanding.

Radha - Krishna represents eternity love of atman and parmatman.

There are human versions where they say radha was already married, and her love for krishna was out of her bounds of marriage. Radha was also elder to krisna. Radha pined for krishna when he left vrindhavan and her dreams of her love towards krishna is un-fulfilled hence the reason why we conduct "radha-kalyanam" to quench the thirst of radha's longing towards krishna.

(Its strange have u ever considered we never name anyone as rukmini krishna or sathyabama krishna but name them radha-krishna? Strange that many women aren't named rukmini and sathyabama (like how ram's seetha gets named) but most name their children radhika or radha? )

Some other beautiful imaginary(?) stories have it that Radha and Krishna has gandharva marriage and radha becomes krishna's flute when he leaves vrindhavan. Hence radha never leaves krishna.

Some other stories have it that, radha extends herself as sathyabama and marries Krishna in the form of sathyabama.

Thousands of stories, thousands of explanations by people, saints and swamins. Yet the relationship of radha and krishna and what happens to radha is never been conclusive. What ever happens to radha is still a question which probably would never be and can never be answered or understood by a mortal mind? I am interested in hearing any of ur knowledge on this topic please.

pradheep
16th August 2009, 09:33 PM
Dear SK,
Thanks for starting this extermely good topic. You are right , so many doubts and mis information is existing. To my knowledge (Bhagavatham) and Radhikopanishad and Narayaneeyam are the only the authentic source about Radha. Rest over time general public twined spicy stories to Radha's life which may not be true. According to the authentic soruces Radha was the daughter of Gopanna Maharaj and a cosuin of Krishna. She of the same age of krishna and never married anyone else except the Gandharva marriage to Krishna. More details about doubts may be cleared through this link.

http://veda.sakthifoundation.org/radhakrishna.htm

We can continue our discussion here.

padmanabha
17th August 2009, 09:42 PM
Contemporary Malayalam poetess SUGATHA KUMARI has authored a poem-titled "RADHA EVIDAE"

Last month Mohiniyattam dancer Gopika Varma choreographed this and staged its first show here at Thiruvananthapuram and on 27th it was staged at chennai....

Shakthiprabha
17th August 2009, 09:48 PM
Dear SK,
To my knowledge (Bhagavatham) and Radhikopanishad and Narayaneeyam are the only the authentic source about Radha. Rest over time general public twined spicy stories to Radha's life which may not be true. According to the authentic soruces Radha was the daughter of Gopanna Maharaj and a cosuin of Krishna. She of the same age of krishna and never married anyone else except the Gandharva marriage to Krishna.

hi pradeep :)

Radha was just soaked in un-conditional love, that she did not even ask Krishna to marry her and take to his place.

Thankyou pradeep. I however have a question. Did his physical seperation from her (from vrindhavan) sadden radha? or was she beyond all that and ever dipped in his love beyond physical presense? Was she ever blissful despite the bodily distance?

Is it true that she went with him and ever remained with him in the form of flute?

anbu_kathir
18th August 2009, 02:26 PM
Dear SK,
To my knowledge (Bhagavatham) and Radhikopanishad and Narayaneeyam are the only the authentic source about Radha. Rest over time general public twined spicy stories to Radha's life which may not be true. According to the authentic soruces Radha was the daughter of Gopanna Maharaj and a cosuin of Krishna. She of the same age of krishna and never married anyone else except the Gandharva marriage to Krishna.

Dear Pradheep,

What do you mean 'authentic' here? The most ancient or the generally accepted norm? Where is the question of truth? There seems to be only that of belief.

Did his physical seperation from her (from vrindhavan) sadden radha? or was she beyond all that and ever dipped in his love beyond physical presense? Was she ever blissful despite the bodily distance?

Is it true that she went with him and ever remained with him in the form of flute?

Pain of separation and the joy of unity are two things that are enjoyed simultaneously by a Lover :D. I am supposing this holds with respect to Radha too.

Love and Light

Shakthiprabha
18th August 2009, 07:39 PM
Pain of separation and the joy of unity are two things that are enjoyed simultaneously by a Lover :D. I am supposing this holds with respect to Radha too.

Love and Light

I suppose too ! I suppose it would have been the same with aaNdaaL and meera too. Except radha was more fortunate :sigh2: to have had his highness as her playmate and lover.

pradheep
18th August 2009, 10:20 PM
Dear Anbu,
Sorry , I have used the word authentic to stress the word "Documented". When one experience a fact "within", a belief can be confirmed whether it is Truth of fictious.

Dear SP,
Of course physical separation saddened Radha, untill she Self-Realizes the Truth about Physical reality and Consciousness. That knowledge she experiences , giving "Bliss". Then becoming a "flute" is a symbolic of the Pranavam (Consciousness).

A lover does not enjoy separation, it is only a pain, untill like Radha, who transcend beyond the physical.

Again from this Truth of Physical, the bliss is same for Aandal and Meera. What Radha enjoyed with a physical human body which is made of electrons and protons , Andal and Meera also enjoyed with a stone idol which is also made of electrons and protons. The bliss lies in beyond this material electrons and protons, which all the 3 shared the same.

Shakthiprabha
18th August 2009, 10:32 PM
Dear SP,
Of course physical separation saddened Radha, untill she Self-Realizes the Truth about Physical reality and Consciousness. That knowledge she experiences , giving "Bliss". The become flute is a symbolic of the Pranavam (Consciousness).

A lover does not enjoy separation, it is only a pain, untill like Radha, who transcend beyond the physical.

hmm :)

Again from this Truth of Physical, the bliss is same for Aandal and Meera. What Radha enjoyed with a physical human body which is made of electrons and protons , Andal and Meera also enjoyed with a stone idol which is also made of electrons and protons. The bliss lies in beyond this material electrons and protons, which all the 3 shared the same

:) I understand. Thank you for posting pradeep.

anbu_kathir
19th August 2009, 09:15 AM
Dear Anbu,
Sorry , I have used the word authentic to stress the word "Documented". When one experience a fact "within", a belief can be confirmed whether it is Truth of fictious.

Brilliant! :-). Therefore all that remains is subjective truth.

Dear SP,
Of course physical separation saddened Radha, untill she Self-Realizes the Truth about Physical reality and Consciousness. That knowledge she experiences , giving "Bliss". Then becoming a "flute" is a symbolic of the Pranavam (Consciousness).

Also, the flute is hollow and filled with His Life-giving breath. Not unlike the state of a liberated person.

Somehow I always hold the idea that Enlightenment => wholesome and complete experience on all three levels of consciousness (body,mind and soul). Transcendence, to me, is not the topmost rung of the ladder of spiritual consciousness; it is the whole process and the person who does the climbing. Therefore I still feel that the pain of separation and the bliss of unity are felt simultaneously by the Lover (because the person lives on every level of experience).

Again from this Truth of Physical, the bliss is same for Aandal and Meera. What Radha enjoyed with a physical human body which is made of electrons and protons , Andal and Meera also enjoyed with a stone idol which is also made of electrons and protons. The bliss lies in beyond this material electrons and protons, which all the 3 shared the same.

:notworthy:

Love and Light.

Shakthiprabha
19th August 2009, 11:50 AM

Therefore I still feel that the pain of separation and the bliss of unity are felt simultaneously by the Lover (because the person lives on every level of experience).

Prasad,

I think even if there is pain, the pain is experienced with a different perspective and understandinG from the stand point of the one seperated. (EVEN in the level of physical) I think thats what pradeep means.

pradheep
19th August 2009, 06:53 PM
it is the whole process
Dear AK
Very beautifully condensed message.

Badri
11th October 2009, 03:12 AM
Srimad Bhagawatham does not mention Radha by name at all. It does speak of a Gopi who speaks the Bramara Gita when Uddhava comes visiting and has been held to be Radha.

Radha, on the other hand, has an immortal place in the legends of Krishna, and as SP has so beautifully pointed out, there is Seetha Rama, and Lakshmi Narasimha but not Rukmini Krishna, only Radha Krishna, the Radha that He never married.

Radha is said to be Dhara, the Earth, and hence there is a tale that links her to Satyabhama who is also a manifestation of the Dharthi.

Some texts also hold Srimati Radharani above even Rukmini and Satyabhama etc and hold that it these 16108 'wives'of Krishna were all manifestations of Srimati Radharani

Some people hold Radha to be a paternal aunt of Krishna, even and that she certainly was elder to Krishna by several years. That when the lad Krishna was 8 (during the time of the Rasa), she was nearly 30 or 35.

The stories also have it that Radha was so imbued in Krishna tatwa that she herself became one with Krishna. That her fair complexion was lost and she became dark like Him.

But one thing is held to be the Truth amongst all these versions. That Radha represents Prakriti and Krishna, the Purusha. Radha, the Jeevatma and Krishna, the Paramatma.

The Puranas have several stories - amongst these, some stories are just stories, others are not so much stories but symbols. In those kind of stories, it is better to not give more importance to the story as much as to the truth behind the story. Indeed, some of these stories probably even need to censored! But such stories too have found place in the Puranas only to cater to everyone, the masses.

Just as even a serious film suddenly breaks into a hip swiveling, pelvic thrusting dance sequence, the Puranas suddenly go off into a spicy titillating story.

But behind these stories too there is a deeper truth. The authors of these texts were clear in the vision - we present the story here, with the truth behind it. Those who can get beyond the story to the truth alone deserve the truth, the others can be entertained by the mere story.

To know the hidden truth, there is no recourse but the Guru, as Krishna Himself says.

"Tat viddhi prani patena pari prashnena sevaya
Upadekshayanti te jnanam jnaninaastatwadarshinaha"

Learn this truth by humble prostrations, questioning and service to the jnanis, the tatwadarshis who will impart it to you.

Thus, separating the chaff from the grain with the help of the Guru, the understanding dawns upon one that Krishna Leela is happening in the hrudaya of everyone all the time. The Jiva is Radha, the Antaryami is Krishna. When the Jiva longs for Him, He shows Himself.

Then, suddenly, He hides Himself after showing a glimpse. The Jiva then yearns for Him, pines for Him and secures a oneness with him in the end.

With Salokya first, then Sameepya, then Sarupya and finally, Sayujya, Radha represents the journey of the soul to its source.

Sudhaama
12th February 2010, 04:51 AM

Radha is Nappinnai and Neelha-devi

Srimad Bhagawatham does not mention Radha by name at all. It does speak of a Gopi who speaks the Bramara Gita when Uddhava comes visiting and has been held to be Radha.

Radha, on the other hand, has an immortal place in the legends of Krishna, and as SP has so beautifully pointed out, there is Seetha Rama, and Lakshmi Narasimha but not Rukmini Krishna, only Radha Krishna, the Radha that He never married.

Radha is said to be Dhara, the Earth, and hence there is a tale that links her to Satyabhama who is also a manifestation of the Dharthi.

Some texts also hold Srimati Radharani above even Rukmini and Satyabhama etc and hold that it these 16108 'wives'of Krishna were all manifestations of Srimati Radharani

Some people hold Radha to be a paternal aunt of Krishna, even and that she certainly was elder to Krishna by several years. That when the lad Krishna was 8 (during the time of the Rasa), she was nearly 30 or 35.

The stories also have it that Radha was so imbued in Krishna tatwa that she herself became one with Krishna. That her fair complexion was lost and she became dark like Him.

But one thing is held to be the Truth amongst all these versions. That Radha represents Prakriti and Krishna, the Purusha. Radha, the Jeevatma and Krishna, the Paramatma.

The Puranas have several stories - amongst these, some stories are just stories, others are not so much stories but symbols. In those kind of stories, it is better to not give more importance to the story as much as to the truth behind the story. Indeed, some of these stories probably even need to censored! But such stories too have found place in the Puranas only to cater to everyone, the masses.

Just as even a serious film suddenly breaks into a hip swiveling, pelvic thrusting dance sequence, the Puranas suddenly go off into a spicy titillating story.

But behind these stories too there is a deeper truth. The authors of these texts were clear in the vision - we present the story here, with the truth behind it. Those who can get beyond the story to the truth alone deserve the truth, the others can be entertained by the mere story.

To know the hidden truth, there is no recourse but the Guru, as Krishna Himself says.

"Tat viddhi prani patena pari prashnena sevaya
Upadekshayanti te jnanam jnaninaastatwadarshinaha"

Learn this truth by humble prostrations, questioning and service to the jnanis, the tatwadarshis who will impart it to you.

Thus, separating the chaff from the grain with the help of the Guru, the understanding dawns upon one that Krishna Leela is happening in the hrudaya of everyone all the time. The Jiva is Radha, the Antaryami is Krishna. When the Jiva longs for Him, He shows Himself.

Then, suddenly, He hides Himself after showing a glimpse. The Jiva then yearns for Him, pines for Him and secures a oneness with him in the end.

With Salokya first, then Sameepya, then Sarupya and finally, Sayujya, Radha represents the journey of the soul to its source.

The narration of Puranas and Stories on Radha... in Sanskrit and other Languages...

... as well as the Charactersation... very well tally with Nappinna and Neelha-Devi's Stories.

Alwars too have amply referred as Nappinna... who cannot be considered different from Radha.

And so it is the common belief amongst Hindus... that Radha is the awathara of Neelha-devi at Sri-Vaikunta

The statement of Mr Badri linking Radha with the Mother Earth, Bhooma-Devi is confusing to me.

Only Andal is the Awathara of Bhoomi-devi. She prays to Radha in Thiruppavai addressing her and Krishna...

...as... "Nandagopalan Marumahalhae Nappinnaay... and as... "Nappinnai Kongai mael vaithu-kidandha malar-maarbaa"
அங்கும் இங்கும் வானவர் தானவர் யாவரும்
எங்கும் இனையை என்று உன்னை அறியகிலாது அலற்றி
அங்கம் சேரும் பூமகள் மண்மகள் "ஆய்மகள்"
சங்கு-சக்கர கையவன் என்பர் சரணமே. - திருவாய்மொழி - 08-03-01.

Badri
12th February 2010, 10:40 AM
Sudhaamaa

There are several folk traditions surrounding Radha, and the one linking her to Bhoomi Devi is one such. I merely recounted some of the known traditions about Radha. If you see SP's original posting, there also she recounts this folklore that Radha extends herself as Satya.

Also, there is no mention of Krishna ever marrying Radha, yet, Andal refers to Nappinnai as nadagopalan marumahal!

Unless it meant marumahal as in niece for in those days, it was common for the "marumahal i.e. niece" to be the "marumahal" i.e daughter-in-law

Sudhaama
14th February 2010, 09:31 AM

Was Krishna a CHEAP man of--- LUSTY, LOOSE CHARACTER- ?

Sudhaamaa

There are several folk traditions surrounding Radha, and the one linking her to Bhoomi Devi is one such. I merely recounted some of the known traditions about Radha. If you see SP's original posting, there also she recounts this folklore that Radha extends herself as Satya.

Also, there is no mention of Krishna ever marrying Radha, yet, Andal refers to Nappinnai as nadagopalan marumahal!

Unless it meant marumahal as in niece for in those days, it was common for the "marumahal i.e. niece" to be the "marumahal" i.e daughter-in-law

Andal addresses Krishna in Thiruppaavai--

--Nappinnai KONGAI-MAEL vaiththu kidandha Malar-maarbaa---

...describing the scene as she could see Krishna in bed... resting his head on Radha's (Nappinna) breasts.

[html:7c8131aeb5]
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p213/sudhaama/HUB-2010/JAN%2010/Krishna7.jpg
[/html:7c8131aeb5]

Such Romantic scenes have been elaborately described in Bhagawatham too

Then does it mean---

..that Krishna had moved too closely with an unmarried virgin girl Radha--- beyond the bounds of Moral character.?

No. Not at all. Krishna was an Ideal Fore-runner emulative for Mankind-

Krishna indeed did get married to Radha alias Nappinna-- according to Bhagawatham and Azhwars-

There exists a wide custom amongst Hindus all over India-- named Radha-Kalyanam performed in the devotees' houses...

--only in the sense of Radha-Krishna marriage-?

And Radha-Krishna idols in temples and pictures in Pooja-rooms depict only such healthy sense.

--Not as a bad example to be inculcated in the minds of youth-- a CHEAP lesson of immorality--

---nor over- liberty to move illegitimately with any virgin---

-- spurred by lust-

Bhagawatham and Azhwars are quite clear about it.--

--conveying a high sense of SPIRITUAL INTIMACY-- between God and Man---

---depicted behind such Romantic SYMBOLISMS.!

Shakthiprabha
1st September 2010, 11:05 AM
My humble pranams and love to my Krishna :bow:

raagadevan
17th May 2017, 10:59 AM
brought forward

raagadevan
19th May 2017, 09:43 PM
Krishna's Radha...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1-WrzeYA3s

Zarina Wahab / Sachin / Hemlata / Yesudas / Ravindra Jain (lyrics and music)

raagadevan
7th August 2018, 07:09 AM
Brought forward.