PDA

View Full Version : Usain Bolt - 100 m & 200 m world record

app_engine
20th August 2009, 08:47 PM
[tscii:86d32df431]http://www.hindu.com/2009/08/20/stories/2009082056730800.htm

How much faster can man run?

The intriguing question has been around for a very long time. Last Sunday Jamaican Usain Bolt touched (according to an official biomechanical analysis) a peak speed of 44.172 km an hour at 65.03 metres in the 100 metres sprint at the World Athletics Championships in Berlin. Is this supremely gifted athlete the fastest human who ever walked the earth? Is he for real? Some believe Bolt’s 9.58 seconds might be 20 years ahead of scientific predictions in taking the bigge st slice — a whopping 0.11s — off the 100m record since the advent of automatic timing in 1968. This has naturally led to questions and speculations about the ‘ultimate’ man can run. “I think it will stop at 9.4 but you never know,” said Bolt after his magical sprint. A 1998 study forecast an eventual men’s record of 9.37s; another done in July 2009 pegged it at 9.51s. If Bolt was guilty of relaxing through the last 20 metres of the Olympics 100m final in Beijing where he clocked 9.69s — forcing biomechanics experts to review their studies and projections — he ran through the line in Berlin.

It is now well established that Bolt’s deceleration rate is much lower than that of his peers. This helps him maintain his speed past 60m or 70m when sprinters normally start slowing down. Then there is the giant stride that gives him a decisive edge over shorter rivals. All sprinters know that height is a handicap at the start but Bolt has started defying even this bit of conventional wisdom. In Berlin, his 6’5” frame took only 0.146s to react to the gun in comparison with the 0.144s for Tyson Gay, the American who finished second, and 0.134s for his team-mate Asafa Powell, who took the bronze. Bolt took just 33 strides to hit the finish for the new world record against the 41 he needed in Beijing. His name might have been unfamiliar to a majority of sports fans before he first made the headlines in New York last year with a world record 9.72s. But the exciting potential was evident as early as 2002 when Bolt took the 200 metres gold in the world junior championships and then the silver in the 2007 world championships. Not until 2008 did this unspoilt genius make a serious foray into the 100 metres. Since then, he has turned sprinting theory on its head, winning an Olympic treble, all in world record times. He evokes awe, admiration, and envy from former greats and rivals alike. Lightning Bolt now owns three of the top four 100m timings in history, but he doesn’t know how fast he can run. The world perhaps is yet to see the best from this Jamaican grocer’s son who will turn 23 on August 21.

[/tscii:86d32df431]

app_engine
20th August 2009, 08:51 PM
9.58 second run's video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m_YO_iNtFQ

ajithfederer
20th August 2009, 09:50 PM
:clap:

Rocky89
20th August 2009, 10:23 PM
He's a phenomenon. He appeared from nowhere when athletics were spoilt by drugs. :clap:

He's set to compete in 200m later today. :D

app_engine
22nd August 2009, 04:57 PM
http://sports.in.msn.com/stories/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3165497

Sets new world record in 200m as well!

app_engine
25th August 2009, 01:02 AM
நம்ம நாடு மாதிரியே ஹப்'பும் இருக்கு. இப்படிப்பட்ட ஒரு சாதனையாளரை வாழ்த்த ஆளில்லை, கெட்ட வார்த்தை சொல்லிக்கத்தித்திரிந்த சூதாட்டக்கிரிக்கெட்டர்களையெல்லாம் கொண்டாடுகிறோம் :-(

Nerd
25th August 2009, 10:15 AM
நம்ம நாடு மாதிரியே ஹப்'பும் இருக்கு. இப்படிப்பட்ட ஒரு சாதனையாளரை வாழ்த்த ஆளில்லை, கெட்ட வார்த்தை சொல்லிக்கத்தித்திரிந்த சூதாட்டக்கிரிக்கெட்டர்களையெல்லாம் கொண்டாடுகிறோம் :-(
அடடே! ஜே கே ரித்தீஷ், விஜயகாந்த் மற்றும் நம் அரசியல்வாதிகள் பெரிதாக என்ன செய்து விட்டார்கள் என்று அவர்களை பற்றிய செய்திகளை அடிக்கடி போஸ்ட் செய்கிறீர்கள்?

கிரிக்கெட் வீரர்கள் சூதாடினாலும், எது செய்தாலும் அவர்கள் இந்தியர்கள் என்னும் ஒரே காரணத்துக்காக தான் இங்கு பலரும் அவர்களை பற்றி விவாதம் செய்கிறார்கள். உங்களுக்கு போல்டின் சாதனை பிடித்திருந்தால் அவரை பற்றி மட்டும் பேசவும். டேக்வோண்டோ, கொல்ஃப் போன்ற விளையாட்டுகளில் சாதனையாளர்களை பற்றி நீங்கள் ஏன் போஸ்ட் செய்யவில்லை? ஈடுபாடின்மை. அது போல பலருக்கு போல்ட் மீது பெரிதாக நாட்டம் இல்லாமல் இருக்கலாம். இங்கு போஸ்ட் செய்யும் மற்றவர்களை கிண்டல் செய்வதற்கு உங்களுக்கு உரிமை இல்லை என்பது என் கருத்து.

kid-glove
25th August 2009, 10:33 AM
Bolt's long lost brother

http://i88.servimg.com/u/f88/12/18/97/93/semeny10.jpg

oh wait...

Sanguine Sridhar
25th August 2009, 10:34 AM
:clap: Nerd maams for his thamizh post!!! :cry: :lol2:

viraajan
25th August 2009, 10:37 AM
:cool: Nerd!!

kid-glove
25th August 2009, 10:38 AM
He's a phenomenon. He appeared from nowhere when athletics were spoilt by drugs. :clap:

Bolt once said "When you're a child in Jamaica, you learn how to roll a joint."

:lol: He apologized later.

app_engine
25th August 2009, 07:34 PM
அடடே! ஜே கே ரித்தீஷ், விஜயகாந்த் மற்றும் நம் அரசியல்வாதிகள் பெரிதாக என்ன செய்து விட்டார்கள் என்று அவர்களை பற்றிய செய்திகளை அடிக்கடி போஸ்ட் செய்கிறீர்கள்?

Hey, I've never hailed them as great. They are in the hub like Vadivelu is in a movie :-)

டேக்வோண்டோ, கொல்ஃப் போன்ற விளையாட்டுகளில் சாதனையாளர்களை பற்றி நீங்கள் ஏன் போஸ்ட் செய்யவில்லை? ஈடுபாடின்மை. அது போல பலருக்கு போல்ட் மீது பெரிதாக நாட்டம் இல்லாமல் இருக்கலாம்.

Unlike those "niche" kind of sports, track athletics are very much part and parcel of the life of an average Indian, right from school days. (At least it used to be those days, not sure how now...but if we go by ATM kind of movies, they seem to have a place even now).

That the community does not celebrate these hasn't helped the cause of the country in Olympics and similar sport events. So, it's not a question of lack of "eedupAdu" in track athletics - like in the case of PT U, when & where there was encouragement, there was performance / limelight etc.

And I remember discussing lot of hours about Griffith , Carl Lewis and such...there were Sporstar posters in our hostel rooms of as many such stars as Kapil / Sunil those days. Obviously, there were not many Indian greats then too. I'm not sure about current appreciation level of such stars in school / colleges today - but it seems TV has practically destroyed any attention to other sports in India.

Actually I used to make fun of those who pulambified like "why only cricket, hockey is national game" etc those days. Now that I'm older, I can understand such POV's better.

இங்கு போஸ்ட் செய்யும் மற்றவர்களை கிண்டல் செய்வதற்கு உங்களுக்கு உரிமை இல்லை என்பது என் கருத்து.

I wasn't ridiculing, definitely not - sorry if I sounded that way. My comment was only about the status of non-cricket sports in India which happens to get reflected in the hub.

And, it was out of a general anguish against a betrayal :-(
Anguish after all those hours of following cricket (eating, drinking, breathing, sleeping, waking-up kind) only to know that players were getting money to fix matches :-(

The enthu was / can never be the same again.

app_engine
25th August 2009, 07:37 PM
Here again, I'm not campaigning for an individual - like Bolt - whom I've paid attention only a couple of weeks back and not before.

It's a question of phenomenal achievement, unique - in fact talking about what max a human body can do - kind of science :-)

And the lower enthu in the sports hub puts one off...

kid-glove
25th August 2009, 11:02 PM
Here again, I'm not campaigning for an individual - like Bolt - whom I've paid attention only a couple of weeks back and not before.

It's a question of phenomenal achievement, unique - in fact talking about what max a human body can do - kind of science :-).

I was fascinated by this short (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GQfs2IS7bk) animation, part of Animatrix

MADDY
26th August 2009, 09:19 AM
:clap: Nerd maams for his thamizh post!!! :cry: :lol2:

pheelingu :rotfl:

wrap07
29th August 2009, 11:02 AM
two world records bolt :clap:

ajithfederer
30th April 2010, 04:54 AM
Usain Bolt visited my school last week. Pictures and info here.

http://hawksports.wordpress.com/2010/04/23/fastest-man-on-earth-drops-by-hawk-hill/

Rocky89
30th April 2010, 09:51 PM
Cool feddy :cool:

shajith1994
2nd June 2010, 02:09 PM
Usain Bolt just missed out on the 300m record as Bolt ran 30.97 compared to Michael Johnson's 30.85

satissh_r
2nd June 2010, 05:53 PM
Usain Bolt just missed out on the 300m record as Bolt ran 30.97 compared to Michael Johnson's 30.85

300m kellam race nadathurangala ippo? :)

app_engine
10th August 2012, 08:55 PM
He ran a race fit for a king (http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/08/10/legendary-usain-bolt-races-towards-3-for-3-golds-at-olympics/?test=olymp)

:clap:

PARAMASHIVAN
13th August 2012, 02:48 PM
Usain Bolt! Only Cheetah can accelerate quicker than him! :notworthy:

PARAMASHIVAN
13th August 2012, 02:50 PM
Good thread App anna,

It is about time Sub continent countries pay much attention to other sports than the great English Gentleman's sport! :banghead:

groucho070
13th August 2012, 02:54 PM
Amazing coincidence/intentionallybydad thingy is the name. Bolt = pichikittu odurathu.