11th January 2010, 01:33 AM
AF,

That's Pixar's latest animation film :)

ajithfederer
11th January 2010, 01:42 AM
oh okok.

ajithfederer
11th January 2010, 09:53 AM
Spy Game - Not Bad. Robert Redford does an heck of a job. Brad Pitt :)

groucho070
11th January 2010, 11:04 AM
Spy Game - Not Bad. Robert Redford does an heck of a job. Brad Pitt :)Kinda followup on Days of The Condor. Seen that one?

ajithfederer
11th January 2010, 11:11 AM
No haven't even heard of that one groucho. What do you say about spy game?.

Spy Game - Not Bad. Robert Redford does an heck of a job. Brad Pitt :)Kinda followup on Days of The Condor. Seen that one?

groucho070
11th January 2010, 12:08 PM
Sorry, it's 3 Days of Condor. Awesome spy flick from 70s. Imagine Redford from Spy Game thirty years younger, starting out as researcher and got himself brush with danger first time! Only it's directed by Sydney Pollack :twisted:

Spy Game is good. I really liked it mainly because of Redford, plus at that time I've been reading awful lotsa CIA, cold war related books. Redford's character here is awesome, I really liked the "interrogation" scenes, and him doing all sort of thing to save Pitt. The difficult part is to accept that Pitt's character would be retarded enough to get himself into trouble like that. Otherwise, it's an enjoyble flick. One of Tony Scott's accessible (for me) films.

But try getting the Condor film. :D

groucho070
12th January 2010, 09:38 AM
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
Steve Martin used to be funny...before the whole stupid Pink Panther fiasco. And Michael Cain :notworthy:

kid-glove
13th January 2010, 12:55 AM
"The Limits of Control"

Weld critics and audience - ungala ellam pakka pavama irukku. :lol2:

Such a great philum. Hate to say the cliched 'zen-like' world about any Jarmusch film. But that's how it is. If it doesn't conform to your standards/expectations, you'd better stay off this. :twisted:

kid-glove
13th January 2010, 01:43 AM
[tscii:82a258afd4]Ebert :lol:

Metacritic :lol2:

Officially retired, aana innum passion (http://www.jonathanrosenbaum.com/?p=15562)kuraiyala. :notworthy: Once again, he turns out to be the voice of reason, “There are limits to artistic self-indulgence,” begins Todd McCarthy’s review in Variety. I disagree. And there are no limits to the pleasures that can be afforded from this kind of freedom.[/tscii:82a258afd4] :thumbsup:

It’s no less pertinent that a Spanish boy on the street previously asks Isaach De Bankolé — who’s channeling Lee Marvin in Point Blank, and is called “Lone Man” in the cast list — if he’s an American gangster and De Bankolé replies, “No.” It seems like an act of prophecy that an American gangster like Chaney should meet his symbolic comeuppance in the same country that might now arrest him for war crimes if he should ever make an actual appearance there. It also seems relevant that the boy and his street pals are reluctant to believe what the Lone Man says. After all, American gangsterism is a style that seems designed for export. In Point Blank, directed by an Englishman, the terrain is supposedly Los Angeles, but Lee Marvin might as well be trekking across Mars; and in Le samourai, directed by a Frenchman — another obvious source for The Limits of Control — the terrain is supposedly Paris, but Alain Delon might as well be holing up somewhere in Tokyo.

:exactly: Although he didn't touch on Tati's "Play time", it is implied and self-contained by that final point. All three films came out 67, and yet, none so particularly authentic on its time, name and space, manufactured its own universe. We still remember the hats and cars in "Le Samourai" or the multi-floored apartments and colored toilet lotions in "Point blank". The magic of films is that such universes transgress the purported rules of authenticity and become a unique fixation/redefinition of that time & era. Mostly they are utopian like every major city and too distant & mechanical in its character, that is only fair the lead character (in all these films) fail to "connect", even at faintest level.

This couldn't be made explicit and any more clearer by an obscure (the film is full of 'em) character 'Blonde' (played by Tilda Swinton), in an almost monologuized exchange with 'Man with no name'

Blonde: Are you interested in films, by any chance? I like really old films. You can really see what the world looked like......thirty, fifty, a hundred years ago. You know the clothes, the telephones, the trains......the way people smoked cigarettes**......the little details of life. The best films are like dreams you're never sure you've really had.

**- Cut to a Spanish waiter smoking the cigar - slow mo. and the full terrain plus a swift montage of terrain.

Then the ultimate tease of being in a film.
Blonde:Sometimes I like it in films when people just sit there, not saying anything.
*long pause*

And if you play this game like Jarmusch had, you'd better do it to T. It's faultless as I see it. In its ruthless defacement of 'everything' to its bare fundamentals, with a ridiculously post-modernist plot, a successful and memorable film. Timeless. :notworthy:

groucho070
13th January 2010, 07:41 AM
Jarmusch? Saw only one film, Broken Flowers. I was amongst three or four folks who saw this in the theater :?

groucho070
13th January 2010, 07:46 AM
Completed re-watching The Godfather trilogies last night with wife. What an emotional roller coaster ride!! Plus the third film works better this time.

kid-glove
13th January 2010, 11:12 AM
Jarmusch? Saw only one film, Broken Flowers. I was amongst three or four folks who saw this in the theater :?

That, I believe, is his most successful film to-date. :P

kid-glove
13th January 2010, 06:26 PM
Few other things for those who are interested:

a) The film is shot in Doyle's style. I don't know if it's Jarmusch's conscious choice before hiring Doye or something that happened later on sets.

b) Like all Jarmusch films, the characters do not fit into the seemingly 'empty' milieu. But the milieu render the minimalism at plot level and character development (hahaha).

c) The lead character comparison to "Ghost dog". The lead actor played a different role in "Ghost dog"!!

d) Multiple homages/reference to Godard (there is a mirror of "Contempt" but even of "Alphaville" in thematic content) and Hitchcock. A massive exploitation of macguffin, taking it to all new levels. :lol:

groucho070
14th January 2010, 09:02 AM
Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Thoroughly enjoyable. Review's in my signature.

ajithfederer
14th January 2010, 09:17 AM
Nice to know that rakesh.

P_R
14th January 2010, 02:46 PM
One False Move :roll:

Oru cliche vidaama box-ai tick paNNirukkainga, idhukkku KamalagAsar rekamandEsan vERa :huh:

Every 'thirilling' sequence was underwhelming. The main tuwist was guessable. The long drawn out climax was boring.

Billy Bob Thornton-ukkaaga oru sila scenes paakkalaam. That's about it.

Flop-aamE. MagEsan theerpu :thumbusp:

groucho070
14th January 2010, 03:30 PM
:lol: Kamal sonnarunaa etho vishayam irukku pola. IMDB users comment check pannuvom.

kid-glove
14th January 2010, 04:14 PM
One False Move :roll:

Oru cliche vidaama box-ai tick paNNirukkainga, idhukkku KamalagAsar rekamandEsan vERa :huh:

Every 'thirilling' sequence was underwhelming. The main tuwist was guessable. The long drawn out climax was boring.

What are the cliches? How many films revolve around small town cops and a criminal on loose? And the criminal is on road from one side to other of a big country. Especially the split of a "thugs on road" and a "police procedural". General cliche is small town cop with sins to be 'redeemed' and domestic issues to be 'resolved' by the end. But this film, the repercussion of sin hits back and further 'doomed' it by the end. And it especially hits back as the cop sees this case as his big leap in police force, the force which essentially gave him licence to exploit her. And when the long overdrawn climax ends, he will be seen as a hero and get promoted. But the film ends with largely negative tone and conclusion to Lila's fate is nailed-on pessimism. That's something that you can't say for many criminal-on-run films.

Then there is patronization within small town and city police force, the racism aspect of small town, etc. Un-urbanized and rudiments they are. There is an aspect of black community still being oppressed by direct/indirect ways. (Of course, The less subtle aspect is to "scream" through the plot outline - white guy with some authority maligning and ultimately away a black victim's life. Carlin's, "This country was founded by slave owners who killed people, and wanted to make it free country", is one fat cliche alright)

Anyway, the film is not necessarily liked for twists/thrills, I didn't bother about it naturally, unless the twist is not out-of-place, but useful and makes sense, rounding off the plot so to speak. Whether it's guessable is immaterial unless I anticipate some thrills/twists to churn my insides, that sort of thing. :huh:

kid-glove
14th January 2010, 04:18 PM
Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Thoroughly enjoyable. Review's in my signature.

Goods news, pro!

P_R
14th January 2010, 04:41 PM
What are the cliches?

Country bum turning out to be nuanced (and in case we weren't watching the movie, the LA cops tells us 'the sob nailed 'em') and having skeletons in his closet

I was half white so you liked me, I was half black so you dumped me :lol: If you are going to have someone talk naive then make it look believable, make their naivete come across. Woody-Coens.

- the poor dear overhears being patronized. That is even after he had stated with the preamble in the morning, tell me if I am full of crap. SA Rajkumar BGM would have been so apt.

- Hey mister, are you dead ? theriyalaiyEppA....

The Good moments, for me were
- Bill Paxton's wife telling the LA cop that 'he doesn't know any better'
- Bill Paxton talking about his family to Lila
- the convenience store scene and the pulling-over. Billy Bob Thornton was very impressive there. Generally Billy Bob Thornton was good, but even that character couldn't sustain the interest.

Overall I found it ordinary.

And that harmonica better be a metaphor. Perfectly fine if it is a metaphor I didn't get. But for all the screentime it hogged I hope it was not just "a thing in itself" :-)

kid-glove
14th January 2010, 04:53 PM
Country bum turning out to be nuanced (and in case we weren't watching the movie, the LA cops tells us 'the sob nailed 'em') and having skeletons in his closet
Cliche? As I said, the cliche is have small town cop with sins to be 'redeemed' and domestic issues to be 'resolved' by the end. But this film, the repercussion of sin hits back and further 'doomed' it by the end. Hence why it worked.

I was half white so you liked me, I was half black so you dumped me :lol: If you are going to have someone talk naive then make it look believable, make their naivete come across. Woody-Coens.
:lol: But, that's badly written. I wouldn't put it as a cliche.

the poor dear overhears being patronized. That is even after he had stated with the preamble in the morning, tell me if I am full of crap. SA Rajkumar BGM would have been so apt.
It had to happen, so granted that's a cliche. But the patronization isn't a cliche, at least from the amount of films I watched, none so particularly bothers on that aspect.
Btw I believe Nerd and LM were sinning praises of this particular scene.
I think part of why it worked was Paxton and the filmmaker didn't pull off a Vikraman.

Hey mister, are you dead ? theriyalaiyEppA....
Ah, the ending you mean. Nah, he is not dead. :P

And that harmonica better be a metaphor. Perfectly fine if it is a metaphor I didn't get. But for all the screentime it hogged I hope it was not just "a thing in itself" :-)
Nah, it's a just a solemn tune for black man's burden. :P

kid-glove
14th January 2010, 04:57 PM
Interestingly, the film was made by a black man.

kid-glove
14th January 2010, 05:01 PM
Generally Billy Bob Thornton was good, but even that character couldn't sustain the interest.

Yeah, It was good because he is a thug. And low-life thugs are stupid and get caught all the time. :)

ajithfederer
14th January 2010, 11:33 PM
One false move padathai pathi nerd gaaru nalla sonnapdi. Neenga enna ippadi solliputeenga

P.S: Edho ennala mudinjadhu :mrgreen:

Bala (Karthik)
15th January 2010, 12:25 AM
One false move padathai pathi nerd gaaru nalla sonnapdi. Neenga enna ippadi solliputeenga

P.S: Edho ennala mudinjadhu :mrgreen:
Idha innum vidaliya :lol2:

ajithfederer
15th January 2010, 11:18 AM
He's_Just_Not_That_into_You

Paravalla, nalla timepass. Kept me interested till the end.

ajithfederer
15th January 2010, 11:24 AM
Hub range theriama solliputaarungga, vidunga :lol:

P_R
15th January 2010, 11:40 AM
Hub range theriama solliruputaarungga, vidunga :lol: :lol:

Actually namma LM kooda nallA irukkunnAru :?

kid-glove
15th January 2010, 12:34 PM
Hub range theriama solliruputaarungga, vidunga :lol:

:rotfl:

VENKIRAJA
15th January 2010, 02:42 PM
Hub range theriama solliruputaarungga, vidunga :lol:

:rotfl:

Appu s
15th January 2010, 09:44 PM
The Road - Good

littlemaster1982
15th January 2010, 09:47 PM

Appa kooda naan oru kurai sonnen. Padam slow-a irukkunnu :lol:

Vivasaayi
15th January 2010, 10:05 PM

master - neenga koraye solladha padam ennenna?oru aarvathula kekuren

ajithfederer
15th January 2010, 10:06 PM
AFAIK (scratching heads)

Run lola run..
The dark knight..

Enakku therinju avvalo dhan..

littlemaster1982
15th January 2010, 10:14 PM

Ippadi tharmasangadamaana kelvi ellam kekka koodathu :oops: :lol:

Vivasaayi
15th January 2010, 10:21 PM

:lol:

but it reflects that u dont enjoy the movie by the preconceived notions - mostly developed by the hype created by people :clap:

Vivasaayi
15th January 2010, 10:22 PM
AFAIK (scratching heads)

Run lola run..
The dark knight..

Enakku therinju avvalo dhan..

hubbudu na summuva?

kid-glove
15th January 2010, 10:31 PM
[tscii:a4cf5e3569]
“Extremely entertaining, and every film director’s worst nightmare!” said Woody Allen, and Robert Altman called it “Truly heartbreaking and emotionally satisfying.”

Lost in la Mancha. Documentary of Terry Gilliam's lost film ("The man who killed Don Quixote" - which I believe Terry is once again giving onther shot). 5/5 chins. Recommended to all film enthusiasts. :thumbsup:

Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe_zLCC5EFo)

If you are a Terry Gilliam fan like me, it's pretty much a must-watch. It's almost like one of his films, in that it got most of his recurrent themes. Insane, passionate, with the final savage of reality.[/tscii:a4cf5e3569]

littlemaster1982
15th January 2010, 10:48 PM

but it reflects that u dont enjoy the movie by the preconceived notions - mostly developed by the hype created by people :clap:

:)

kid-glove
16th January 2010, 12:59 AM
The tenant (Locataire) - well directed as one would expect, but not the best of scripts. But there are recurring themes to his life & films.

Will have to watch it again and/or make sense of what I had seen, to make more of it.

ajithfederer
16th January 2010, 01:11 AM
Pongal movie watchin time eh??

P_R
16th January 2010, 01:31 AM
Barton Fink

The Coens have an off-day

great
16th January 2010, 10:41 AM
Barton Fink

The Coens have an off-day

Thought of asking about this pilim yesterday :) . Beleive you have this movie for quite sometime.

kid-glove
16th January 2010, 11:19 AM
Pongal movie watchin time eh??

:D

I'm reading a post-apocalyptic dystopia book, "The road", by Cormac mccarthy(NCFOM). Going at 5 pages a day(excruciating but it would pick up). I stopped at a part when one character retorts, What in God's name are you talking about? We're not survivors. We're the walking dead in a horror film. to a plea from the main father character. Knowing this would do a bit further and an eventual turn of events would proceed the narrative. At the precise moment, I dropped the book (always stop at a relatively dull moment) and played "Le Locataire". Not because it's a horror philum, but because I wanted to watch a well-directed film with interesting shots, and less plot complexities. But contrary to my expectation, there were few complex or uneven parts in the philum. :)

Btw "Barton Fink" is an interesting philum, admittedly a bit of surreal experience at core of it. Quite a few times, I got reminded of it while watching "Le Locataire". :)

ajithfederer
16th January 2010, 11:57 AM
I think you know this but that novel indeed has come out in a film adaptation. I remember seeing the trailer when I saw it in theatres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_(film)

P_R
16th January 2010, 12:12 PM
Jarmusch pEr adikkadi adipadudhEnnu d/l paNNalaamnu pArththEn.
oru sila plots padichchEn. appuRamA paarthukkalaamnu vittuttEn.

LM rekamaNdiya Lola Rennt ahead.

kid-glove
16th January 2010, 12:14 PM
Yeah! Adhu therinju than mundhikka book padikkuren. :noteeth:

Locataire/Tenant opening shot (titles rolling also) ["The opening sequence, in which a remote-controlled crane-mounted camera explores the outside of the building and finally enters a doorway to film the interior, was one of the most intricate and satisfying shots I have ever attempted." - Polanski]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB0B-UHRe-Y

Like the downbeat melancholic theme music.

The ending shot is also inconceivable, I don't know how he did it. Watch it!

And this is a decent outline on much recommended Apartment trilogy:

http://www.film.com/celebrities/roman-polanski/story/roman-polanskis-apartment-trilogy-still/21687948

kid-glove
16th January 2010, 12:15 PM
Jarmusch pEr adikkadi adipadudhEnnu d/l paNNalaamnu pArththEn.
oru sila plots padichchEn. appuRamA paarthukkalaamnu vittuttEn.
I know how the reaction would be like. :wink:

Appu s
16th January 2010, 02:12 PM
I think you know this but that novel indeed has come out in a film adaptation. I remember seeing the trailer when I saw it in theatres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_(film)

the movie is pretty good, not great :)

littlemaster1982
16th January 2010, 02:14 PM

Pudikkalainna ennai thittathinga :shaking:

Aalavanthan
16th January 2010, 04:45 PM
Went to Aayirathil Oruvan yesterday for a 6 pm show.. The theatre guy said the second half reel hasnt come yet so the show is cancelled :lol: .. UK liyae ippadiyaa :oops:

So had to go for another 12A movie as I was having my 7 mth old son and ended up in "All abour Steve" with a disturbed mind whether to go or not.

After 90 minutes, it wasnt that bad actually and its a feel good film (atleast for the heroine)..

Recommended for all the "feel good movie" lovers and if you love crosswords, you will meet someone who creates those crossword in the form of Sandra :D

Next in the list is my siggy.. IMDB has given 7.6 and the theatre was pretty occupied for that movie yesterday.

Aalavanthan
16th January 2010, 04:47 PM

Pudikkalainna ennai thittathinga :shaking:

Pudikum Pudikum :) P_R - padam 1 hr 20 mins.. neenga paatuku 20 minsla padam mudinjuduchunu nenaichidaadheenga :)

LM ... somebody did ask me whether I reckoned the ambulance driver.. any idea ?

littlemaster1982
16th January 2010, 05:00 PM

It's Appu who asked you :) Btw, he asked about the patient in the ambulance.

Spoiler:

He is the security guard of the bank where Lola's dad works. It's suggested that he is the real father of Lola. Remember the first run, in which Lola's dad says she is not his child.

Spoiler ends

Aalavanthan
16th January 2010, 05:39 PM

It's Appu who asked you :) Btw, he asked about the patient in the ambulance.

Oh Yes, I do remember that "that" person had an soft corner when he was asked to push the "other" person out of the "place" ...

Dinesh84
16th January 2010, 09:49 PM
"Worlds greatest Dad".. :|

Robin Williams :clap:

Appu s
17th January 2010, 11:29 AM
Across the hall - :2thumbsup: the suspense was maintain very nicely,few unnecessary scenes.. but overall a good thriller,pretty good acting.better than my expectation.

Vivasaayi
17th January 2010, 11:41 AM
A Tale of Two Sisters - :clap:

I dont want to tell anything abt the movie as it might give a hint abt the plot of the movie.

just two things

1.The girl who played su-yeon should be the cutest girl on earth.

2.The second viewing makes it an awesome movie.

cinematography,the pace of the movie,acting,music,silence :clap:

P_R
17th January 2010, 01:22 PM
Ikiru again
What a lovely film :clap:

naan ellAm 'move' aaga mAttEn-nu yaar sonnadhu ? solrapadi sonnA move aayittu pOrEn.

indha maadhiri padam edukka sonnA ukkAndhu Ottai pOttu koNdu varAinga.

kid-glove
17th January 2010, 01:28 PM
Migrated from twitter: (Hope Equa replies here, anga remba kastama irukku, to reply in paragraphs)

@equanimus Re. Blue: With regards to the discussion on Intentional fallacy, I'd like to know what you made of Kieslowski's stance in the film, especially re. 'desist associating different emotions to piece of music'. The ending seems to say, art, or in this case, music connects 'em all by emotion. Thus "unifying them", even if the actual unification of Europe could turn out be a illusion. Also, the central character's emotion and love (towards her husband) tied strongly to that piece. After she knows of her husband's infidelity, she is able to overcome this "emotional" chord to the piece. Letting her to complete and reshape it. You can reply in TFhub. :)

AravindMano
17th January 2010, 09:10 PM
Throne of Blood. Kurosawa's adaptation of Macbeth. Nalla irundhuchu. Romba easy a oru scene oda intensity ya koNdu vandhudraar.

But naan konjam sirichukitte paathen. The lady who acted as Macbeth :lol: yeRkanave moonju konjam izhuththu vechchu thechchaa maadhri irukku. Idhula she wears one stiff expression through out. Andhamma odradhu nadakkaradhu ukkaarradhu ellaame :lol: costume vera innoru oru periya comedy. tailor indha ammavoda height-ku alter paNRadhukku munnaadiyae kudhichchu odi vantaanga pola.

aduththu Vishal Bharadwaj oda adaptation of same story paakka poren.

P_R
17th January 2010, 09:49 PM
The lady who acted as Macbeth :lol: yeRkanave moonju konjam izhuththu vechchu thechchaa maadhri irukku. Idhula she wears one stiff expression through out. Andhamma odradhu nadakkaradhu ukkaarradhu ellaame :lol: costume vera innoru oru periya comedy. tailor indha ammavoda height-ku alter paNRadhukku munnaadiyae kudhichchu odi vantaanga pola.

It is representative of a Japanese theatre style called: "Noh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noh)". Its speciality is acting with a fixed/minal expression.

Vishal Bharadwaj oda adaptation of same story paakka poren. :thumbsup: One of the best indhi films ever.

great
17th January 2010, 09:53 PM
:thumbsup: One of the best indhi films ever.

Maqbool dvd enga kedaikuthu?

P_R
17th January 2010, 10:04 PM
:thumbsup: One of the best indhi films ever.

Maqbool dvd enga kedaikuthu?
Was available in Landmark, Nungambakkam. Roshan bought it when she was here a couple of years back.

Original DVD vaangappOreengaLA ? idhenna pudhu pazhakkam ?

great
17th January 2010, 10:19 PM
torrent kedaikala :ashamed:

Raikkonen
18th January 2010, 12:22 PM
Moonraker - :cool2: cheesy, but fun.. like all other Roger flicks. (except maybe LALD)

PTS was awesome.. probably the best in the entire series.

kid-glove
18th January 2010, 12:28 PM
Equa eppo reply panna poraar :think:

P_R
18th January 2010, 12:46 PM
Every single piece I have read on the colors trilogy always has with the phrase : "My reading of...." :lol2:

adhunaalaayE oru dissance maindain paNREn.

equa, ezhudhunga naan grow-up aayi padam paarthadhum padikkaREn.

groucho070
18th January 2010, 12:55 PM
Moonraker - :cool2: cheesy, but fun.. like all other Roger flicks. (except maybe LALD)

PTS was awesome.. probably the best in the entire series.LALD's my favourite of Sir Rog/007. Only don't like revisiting A View To A Kill.

Up side to AVTAK: Christopher Walken.
Downside: Grace Jones :hammer:

Anyway, Moonraker could be in top five with highest collection in that franchise, inflation adjusted I mean. PTS was awesome for its time.

Raikkonen
18th January 2010, 01:10 PM
I think Roger is unfairly overlooked/criticized by many (even by ardent bond fans)..

i loved all of his movies.. yes even TMWTGG. :lol:

groucho070
18th January 2010, 01:22 PM
Rog made those "so-far-away-from-Fleming-that-it-could-be-his-third-cousin-from-Ukraine" films watchable with his tongue in cheek humour. I watch them for him, yes including AVTAK, though Walken overshadows everything including the frickin' projector.

Moonraker, now that you mentioned it, Raiks, is also full of quotable lines, it look stupid on paper (or on screen), but Sir Rog really made it funny:

Holly: Hang on!
Bond: The thought had occurred to me.

The bad guy, Drax, gets couple of gem:
Drax: Look after Mr. Bond. See that some harm comes to him.

and

Drax: James Bond. You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season.
and

Drax: At least I shall have the pleasure of putting you out of my misery :lol:

Of course, old Q gets his share too:
Minister: My God, what's Bond doing?
Q: I think he's attempting re-entry, sir. :lol:

kid-glove
18th January 2010, 03:00 PM
Colors trilogy is for 'seeing' and not much for reading into it. You feel for the characters (And they are very "Real"), and there are no contrived sentimental diatribe & sequences. If you liked films like "Ikiru", you should like this too. Talking of 'blue', The first few minutes and the final denouement is tour-de-force Kieslowski, visually & stylistically magnificent. Color tones (for once, it's more than just blind editing), full blackouts, and camera techniques galore. But Kieslowski isn't doing a Godard-ian gimmick. Sounds and background music (there is only a single "anthem" in blue) is at emotional core and a major part of the story.

equanimus
18th January 2010, 03:43 PM
Migrated from twitter: (Hope Equa replies here, anga remba kastama irukku, to reply in paragraphs)

@equanimus Re. Blue: With regards to the discussion on Intentional fallacy, I'd like to know what you made of Kieslowski's stance in the film, especially re. 'desist associating different emotions to piece of music'. The ending seems to say, art, or in this case, music connects 'em all by emotion. Thus "unifying them", even if the actual unification of Europe could turn out be a illusion. Also, the central character's emotion and love (towards her husband) tied strongly to that piece. After she knows of her husband's infidelity, she is able to overcome this "emotional" chord to the piece. Letting her to complete and reshape it. You can reply in TFhub. :)
k-g,
That is an interesting reading, but I'm not sure if she comes back to finish the score because she becomes dispassionate about the piece of music. In a way, it is the piece of music that makes her connect back to her old life. The lady who takes a copy of the unfinished score before destroying it later says, "this music is so beautiful. You can't destroy things like that." It is this beauty that keeps returning to her liberated self, and makes her reconcile with her old life, isn't it?

equanimus
18th January 2010, 03:51 PM
Every single piece I have read on the colors trilogy always has with the phrase : "My reading of...." :lol2:

adhunaalaayE oru dissance maindain paNREn.
I don't know where you got such an idea from, but each of the Three Colours film has a rather simple story. There's nothing 'puzzling' about them at all. Kieslowski mEla ippadi oru charge vechchadhE periya thappu.

P.S.: My comment on k-g's post that it's "an interesting reading" is intentional by the way. :)

P_R
18th January 2010, 03:55 PM
Kieslowski mEla ippadi oru charge vechchadhE periya thappu. Oh isit !
அந்த மூலைல ஒரு கிழவன் உக்காந்துருந்தானே அதுக்கு என்ன அர்த்தம் - அப்பிடிங்கிற ரேஞ்சுல இங்க கூட சில discusssions போச்சு.

P.S.: My comment on k-g's post that it's "an interesting reading" is intentional by the way. :) ஓனர், சங்கிலியால நாயை புடிச்சிகிட்டு...கடிக்காது சும்மா பக்கத்துல வாங்க அப்பிடி சொல்ற தொனில இந்த reassuranceஐ படிச்சேன்.

equanimus
18th January 2010, 04:24 PM
Kieslowski mEla ippadi oru charge vechchadhE periya thappu. Oh isit !
அந்த மூலைல ஒரு கிழவன் உக்காந்துருந்தானே அதுக்கு என்ன அர்த்தம் - அப்பிடிங்கிற ரேஞ்சுல இங்க கூட சில discusssions போச்சு.
You're almost paranoiac, I say! adhAvadhu, nA solla varRadhu ennannA, oru elusive scene 'kkum "anga dhAngudhu padamE" 'nnu solRadhukkum, there is a world of difference.

ippadi pEchchu adi pattAlE pAkka mAttEn 'ngRadhu enna niyAyam! Hey! Ram 'la periyappA mahA pAvam 'nu sollittu En seththArnu kUda dhAn namma maNikkaNakkA pEsuvOm.

kid-glove
18th January 2010, 04:34 PM
Equa,

I didn't mean she becomes dispassionate about the music, but all attempts of emotional insulation to the loss (avoiding contact with her friends, not being in a vicinity of children, giving away the furniture and memorabilia) didn't help her win over the nostalgia of the music. It keeps coming back to her, bringing all the associated emotions to it. How she managed to outdo this traumatic remembrance and nostalgia, is at break of infidelity, that she no longer feels at core of her husband's work. The mistress and not her, their life together, or anything at all, could have been the 'muse' and inspiration. Music as you had noted, is its beauty (but I don't believe that copy lady's words came off as an epiphany in realizing it, after all Binoche's character is an artist, too) the way it percolates without boundary and reverberates around. The street flutist doing a tune reminiscent to her husband's, she questions where he got it from, he says 'it comes from everywhere' (non-verbatim).

What you made of this, The ending seems to say, art, or in this case, music connects 'em all by emotion. Thus "unifying them", even if the actual unification of Europe could turn out be a illusion. :

My question:
The other day, in "Intentional fallacy" thread, you strongly believe in desisting the notion of associating emotion to piece of music" (PR also added 'the listening experience' being part of the deal). This film seem to be advocating "emotional fixation" much too strongly. Adhan kEkurEn. yEn indha madhiri ellam solreenga?! Nan sonna madhiri, "whatever works"'-oda vittudalam. :lol:

P_R
18th January 2010, 05:18 PM
ippadi pEchchu adi pattAlE pAkka mAttEn 'ngRadhu enna niyAyam! Hey! Ram 'la periyappA mahA pAvam 'nu sollittu En seththArnu kUda dhAn namma maNikkaNakkA pEsuvOm. Then I was on the other side of the table you see :lol2:

You're almost paranoiac, I say! adhAvadhu, nA solla varRadhu ennannA, oru elusive scene 'kkum "anga dhAngudhu padamE" 'nnu solRadhukkum, there is a world of difference. koodiya seekkiram compulsory-A thirundhidarEn.

adei Tarkovsky, sooda oru Stalker eduththu vai !

equanimus
18th January 2010, 05:19 PM
What you made of this, The ending seems to say, art, or in this case, music connects 'em all by emotion. Thus "unifying them", even if the actual unification of Europe could turn out be a illusion. :
Actually I did think your question was along these lines until I read this line: "she is able to overcome this "emotional" chord to the piece." I thought you were perhaps arguing that she detaches her emotions and responds to pure music. :)

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's the music that connects everyone in the film. The Unification of Europe perhaps serves as an allegory to her own reunion with her past.

My question:
The other day, in "Intentional fallacy" thread, you strongly believe in desisting the notion of associating emotion to piece of music" (PR also added 'the listening experience' being part of the deal).
Well, it's not anything like a strong belief! The pleasure I derive out of listening to a piece of music doesn't seem to have anything to do with my rather staid life, my perceptions of life, the universe etc. Its beauty just is. That's why I said I subconsciously desist associating emotions to pieces of music.

This film seem to be advocating "emotional fixation" much too strongly.
Umm, not sure I got that. Can you please elaborate?

kid-glove
18th January 2010, 06:15 PM
Can you please elaborate?
to self: Ivalo neram enna panna! :lol:

As said in previous post, I think the lady fixates life experiences with her husband to that piece of meesik. And how this is won-over by film's end, is in that para:

all attempts of emotional insulation to the loss (avoiding contact with her friends, not being in a vicinity of children, giving away the furniture and memorabilia) didn't help her win over the nostalgia of the music. It keeps coming back to her, bringing all the associated emotions to it. How she managed to outdo this traumatic remembrance and nostalgia, is at break of infidelity, that she no longer feels at core of her husband's work. The mistress and not her, their life together, or anything at all, could have been the 'muse' and inspiration. Music as you had noted, is its beauty (but I don't believe that copy lady's words came off as an epiphany in realizing it, after all Binoche's character is an artist, too) the way it percolates without boundary and reverberates around. The street flutist doing a tune reminiscent to her husband's, she questions where he got it from, he says 'it comes from everywhere' (non-verbatim).

The Unification of Europe perhaps serves as an allegory to her own reunion with her past.
Well that's one other thing I thought of. Idhai nan padam patha piragu (Which is quite some time ago), kieslowski interviews padichEn, avar kuda solvaar, a music is composed for a marriage. If the marriage doesn't happen, the tune when played today, would still revoke and act as invisible channel by which they are all unified. That interview is not even present in web anymore. Ippo nan enna seyya?! :(

equanimus
18th January 2010, 06:58 PM
As said in previous post, I think the lady fixates life experiences with her husband to that piece of meesik. And how this is won-over by film's end, is in that para:
Oh, I'm sorry, skimming/non-interpretation syndrome. :) But isn't this all about memory itself rather than just music? Many things, naturally, make her connect to her past throughout the film. She wants to be through with everything, but 'the irretrievable' is always complemented by 'the unfinished.' Again, I think the piece of music rather serves as a symbol to 'the unfinished' in her life.

kid-glove
18th January 2010, 07:32 PM
Oh, I'm sorry, skimming/non-interpretation syndrome. :) But isn't this all about memory itself rather than just music? Many things, naturally, make her connect to her past throughout the film. She wants to be through with everything, but 'the irretrievable' is always complemented by 'the unfinished.' Again, I think the piece of music rather serves as a symbol to 'the unfinished' in her life.
She is getting blacked-out by tones played over her head.

While that piece of music could symbolically represent the 'unfinished'. Still she destroys it (Remember only later she finds it hadn't been destroyed) - like disposing of other memorabilia. To her, It's part of the 'irretrievable', the 'emotional fixation'. But what music does, that other things doesn't, is percolate through voluntary blockage, and subconsciously reverberate.

Not that both the readings are 'divergent', it could both function in tandem. (P_R annathe, :poke:)

Btw noted the point of 'beauty as is' wrt music. To me, it's still divided. At one end of spectrum, the mathematical precision, the arrangement, etc that pleases the senses but at the other end, the emotional association/fixation. I'm still not a musical or a lyrical. I'm still somewhat instinctive when it comes to music.

equanimus
18th January 2010, 08:04 PM
Still she destroys it (Remember only later she finds it hadn't been destroyed) - like disposing of other memorabilia. To her, It's part of the 'irretrievable', the 'emotional fixation'.
She wants it and all of her past to be 'irretrievable,' be through with them, which is of course the idea of liberty that the film examines. But actually the music does keep playing in her mind. And then there are always people/friends who remind us of things. Here this is manifested in a literal sense by the lady who keeps a copy of the composition notes. And later we also see that she herself has some notes that tie together the piece in her handbag.

Wow, ezhudha ezhudha kOrvaiyA varudhE. thangath thalaivar Kieslowski!

equanimus
18th January 2010, 08:09 PM
I'm still not a musical or a lyrical.
Incidentally my warning to lyricals is not because I'm a musical. (I'm not.) Even if I don't appreciate poetry/verse as much as music (a severe understatement), I don't want to contend that the latter is a better art form in a universal sense. But in the context of Tamil film music, I think the preference should be ob. Hence the warning.

kid-glove
18th January 2010, 08:25 PM
Still she destroys it (Remember only later she finds it hadn't been destroyed) - like disposing of other memorabilia. To her, It's part of the 'irretrievable', the 'emotional fixation'.
She wants it and all of her past to be 'irretrievable,' be through with them, which is of course the idea of liberty that the film examines. But actually the music does keep playing in her mind. And then there are always people/friends who remind us of things. Here this is manifested in a literal sense by the lady who keeps a copy of the composition notes. And later we also see that she herself has some notes that tie together the piece in her handbag.

Wow, ezhudha ezhudha kOrvaiyA varudhE. thangath thalaivar Kieslowski!

Thanks to multiple readings, there is a certain semblance of coherency. :lol: The only fear is people might think of it as a complicated film. :lol2:

equanimus
18th January 2010, 08:33 PM
Yeah, this is not a puzzling film in any sense of the word. And you guys are fanboys of filmmakers like Nolan! *idhu AvuRadhilla*

kid-glove
18th January 2010, 08:42 PM
Btw, all the claims put forth were from watching the film 3-4 years back. :lol2: I don't remember the character names and specific details. I need to watch the film again. In fact, the lady handing over copy to composer's friend (right?) and the finishing note in Binoche's handbags, are all like a distant dream. :lol: Mostly I love the colors trilogy for its simplicity (And most Kieslowski films incl. Decalogue, baring that 'unknown stranger', mostly avoid over-complication, and less indulgent filmmaking.) as I said in a post:

Colors trilogy is for 'seeing' and not much for reading into it. You feel for the characters (And they are very "Real"), and there are no contrived sentimental diatribe & sequences. If you liked films like "Ikiru", you should like this too. Talking of 'blue', The first few minutes and the final denouement is tour-de-force Kieslowski, visually & stylistically magnificent. Color tones (for once, it's more than just blind editing), full blackouts, and camera techniques galore. But Kieslowski isn't doing a Godard-ian gimmick. Sounds and background music (there is only a single "anthem" in blue) is at emotional core and a major part of the story.

kid-glove
18th January 2010, 08:44 PM
I'm a fanboy of PT Anderson, Coen brothers and Quentin Tarantino.

Nolan, Arnofsky, etc are promising filmmakers. But I wouldn't call myself a 'fanboy'. A 'fan' would be appropriate. :)

equanimus
18th January 2010, 08:47 PM
Was kidding, k-g. That was to poke PR by digging his case history.

kid-glove
18th January 2010, 10:12 PM
Was kidding, k-g. That was to poke PR by digging his case history.

:lol: Avaru endha filmmaker-kkum fan kedaiyadhu (like for example Surya & Tamannah ). Edhavudhu thappu kandu pudikkaraar. Real-a avaru oru 'high standard', Anbar solra madhiri. :P

P_R
18th January 2010, 10:31 PM
Was kidding, k-g. That was to poke PR by digging his case history. Oh sorry I've been skipping the posts as I thought it was wrt to Bleu. :oops: Wanted to see the movie - excuse the pun - uncolored

ajithfederer
18th January 2010, 11:01 PM
Mission Impossible 3

I always think that it was one of the best MI movies. God knows why it did very average business in us. I like this movie. Philip Seymour Hoffman :thumbsup:.

groucho070
19th January 2010, 11:03 AM
Definitely better than the John Woo one. Hoffman was menacing. Scary.

kid-glove
19th January 2010, 11:11 AM
Innum pakkala :think:

But I wanted to see it for Hoffman!! :)

Appu s
19th January 2010, 11:11 AM
Sherlock holmes :clap: RDJ :clap: :clap:

kid-glove
19th January 2010, 11:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/MontyPython#p/u/9/MqObJtGrKaA

Upper Class Twit of the Year

:rotfl2:

ajithfederer
19th January 2010, 12:21 PM
Has it released in India already?.

P_R
19th January 2010, 01:13 PM
Parts of Gattacca this morning
Impressive film - look and feel in particular.

littlemaster1982
19th January 2010, 01:28 PM
Yes :)

Appu s
19th January 2010, 01:38 PM

naan engappa Theatre-la poi paarthen, only D/L ing ...

AravindMano
19th January 2010, 09:02 PM
The lady who acted as Macbeth :lol: yeRkanave moonju konjam izhuththu vechchu thechchaa maadhri irukku. Idhula she wears one stiff expression through out. Andhamma odradhu nadakkaradhu ukkaarradhu ellaame :lol: costume vera innoru oru periya comedy. tailor indha ammavoda height-ku alter paNRadhukku munnaadiyae kudhichchu odi vantaanga pola.

It is representative of a Japanese theatre style called: "Noh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noh)". Its speciality is acting with a fixed/minal expression.

Oh, Wokay! Thanks for the info.

Last faareen film watched - No One Knows About Persian Cats. Winner of Uncertain Regard at Cannes last year. Typical Iranian docu-drama, but for most part the mood is surprsingly upbeat. A group of youngsters try to form a band and do a concert abroad. (Western music is banned in Iran). Very predictable, but worth a watch. The soundtrack has been put to good use with some stunning montages.

AravindMano
19th January 2010, 09:05 PM
Forgot to add, the movie was shot in 17 days without proper permission at real places using real people based on real incidents. That makes the attempt even more worthy.

ajithfederer
19th January 2010, 11:17 PM
Donnie Brasco

Initial thought was that the movie was underwhelming. May be I expected something very great but after repeated viewings on tv I am sure that this is some good and different stuff. Depp is brilliant and is very much underrated. Pacino has underplayed a lot. Yes this a true story about the Gambino crime family of NY.

Vivasaayi
19th January 2010, 11:25 PM
Donnie Brasco

Initial thought was that the movie was underwhelming. May be I expected something very great but after repeated viewings on tv I am sure that this is some good and different stuff. Depp is brilliant and is very much underrated. Pacino has underplayed a lot. Yes this a true story about the Gambino crime family of NY.

Highlight-E Michael Madson - This guy is too cool and stylish!

doesnt matter how many scenes he comes in any movie - scene poradhula :thumbsup:

ajithfederer
19th January 2010, 11:27 PM
This is one eerie movie. Andha sister ponnu dhaan "my little bride" korean film-la heroine. Adhula andha ponnai paathale sirippa varum.

I dont want to tell anything abt the movie as it might give a hint abt the plot of the movie.

just two things

ajithfederer
19th January 2010, 11:29 PM
Mads(e)n was good in Reservoir dogs. Thats his best role as far as i have seen. Idhula summa angae ingae nnu salambikittu irupaan. Peria performance illainnu solrein.

Donnie Brasco

Highlight-E Michael Madson - This guy is too cool and stylish!

Vivasaayi
19th January 2010, 11:29 PM
indha padathulaye apdithan :lol: ...sema cute!

This is one eerie movie. Andha sister ponnu dhaan "my little bride" korean film-la heroine. Adhula andha ponnai paathale sirippa varum.

just two things

groucho070
20th January 2010, 07:22 AM
Donnie Brasco

Initial thought was that the movie was underwhelming. May be I expected something very great but after repeated viewings on tv I am sure that this is some good and different stuff. Depp is brilliant and is very much underrated. Pacino has underplayed a lot. Yes this a true story about the Gambino crime family of NY.Went for Pacino, with a "punch of salt", ended up liking the whole film. What can I say, "feggedaboutit".

ajithfederer
20th January 2010, 10:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf0ZyoUn7Vk&feature=related

Donnie Brasco

Initial thought was that the movie was underwhelming. May be I expected something very great but after repeated viewings on tv I am sure that this is some good and different stuff. Depp is brilliant and is very much underrated. Pacino has underplayed a lot. Yes this a true story about the Gambino crime family of NY.Went for Pacino, with a "punch of salt", ended up liking the whole film. What can I say, "feggedaboutit".

ajithfederer
21st January 2010, 03:20 AM
Legends of the Fall - Not bad.

Wibha
21st January 2010, 03:46 AM

just two things

I flipped when I saw this movie... its SOO CREEPY :shock: I still don't get the story :(

AravindMano
21st January 2010, 12:38 PM
Cache - Bloody Brilliant. Hanake :clap: It is his first film i watched and i understand that making audience a part of the film is his trademark. I actually dont care much to resolve the film but its eating my head already!

Read too many reviews vera. My head is overloaded with all those "readings". Padam mudinjapram i was in awe (cos of the last shot, the way it was provided to the viewers in a nonchalant way) the film ended and i saw a blue screen with two folders of same name - Cache. (I usually watch films in my DVD player using USB which has an default folder called "Cache". :P ) Idhu kooda director'oda touch nu ninaikren :lol:

Strongly recommend this film.

kid-glove
21st January 2010, 12:53 PM
:thumbsup:

Now we have Jafar Panahi, Haneke and Almodovar in common, and I'm sure there are many more.

Btw Haneke much likes Almodovar, he said so in Golden globe press meet (he won best foreign lang film for "The White ribbon"). And he specially mentioned "Broken Embraces" as a fine film worthy of awards. (Oh I haven't seen it yet. but rest assured it's going to be memorable in Pedro's unique storytelling)

kid-glove
21st January 2010, 12:55 PM
I understand that making audience a part of the film is his trademark.

:exactly:

AravindMano
21st January 2010, 01:01 PM

Now we have Jafar Panahi, Haneke and Almodovar in common, and I'm sure there are many more.

Btw Haneke much likes Almodovar, he said so in Golden globe press meet (he won best foreign lang film for "The White ribbon"). And he specially mentioned "Broken Embraces" as a fine film worthy of awards. (Oh I haven't seen it yet. but rest assured it's going to be memorable in Pedro's unique storytelling)

"The White Ribbon" is next on my list.

"Broken Embraces" was a fine film indeed. Has written Almodovar written all over that a fan would invariably like it. I would say he has mellowed down compared to his previous films, worth a watch nevertheless.

kid-glove
21st January 2010, 01:10 PM
"I would say he has mellowed down compared to his previous films"
------------
:( Immensely sensed in "Volver" as well. Not that it's unwelcome. but It's going to stay eh?! "Bad education", the one before "Volver", was tour-de-force. Marrying Hitchcock tropes to Almodovar's essentials, married by noir elements. But then again, I heard he does that in "Embraces" too. I suppose that's what the "mellowed down" part is hitting at! If so, well put (into context)!

AravindMano
21st January 2010, 01:19 PM
Very true about "Volver". Yup, I guess it's going to stay! I am not able to put it properly, but i don't sense the mad-rush that i used to feel while watching All About My Mother / Bad Education. Now he is more into proper story telling, tying all the loose ends etc., (or rather unexperimental?) That Bad Education was the last film where i felt this "mad rush" (sorry, its not a proper term, but couldn't think of anything else) makes more sense as it had more auto-biographical references that any of his films.

The same with "Broken Embraces", I am not putting them here for the risk of spoilers. But he has ultimately saanju ukkaandhufied in his naarkaali.

Appu s
21st January 2010, 01:23 PM
The Fugitive(1993) - kood kood...Nalla time pass

kid-glove
21st January 2010, 01:24 PM
But he has ultimately saanju ukkaandhufied in his naarkaali.
------------
But still maintaining the overall quality. "Volver", "Embraces" etcetra are still damn good philums. I wish I could say that of another legend, who is off-late being more of a belend to his own talend (:P :cry2:) I'm talking of mighty Woody Allen, of course. :sigh2:

AravindMano
21st January 2010, 05:57 PM
------------
But still maintaining the overall quality. "Volver", "Embraces" etcetra are still damn good philums. I wish I could say that of another legend, who is off-late being more of a belend to his own talend (:P :cry2:) I'm talking of mighty Woody Allen, of course. :sigh2:

of course, quality needless to say. Volver's screenplay reeks genius.

Woody Allen paaththadhe illa :oops: Reverse la aarambichurukken (Vicky Christina Barcelona, liked it). Aduththu avarukkum sketch potruken.

ajithfederer
21st January 2010, 08:15 PM
Yes it is. It has a sequek or a prequel(??). Even that is an ok timepass.

Appu s
21st January 2010, 08:20 PM
Yes it is. It has a sequek or a prequel(??). Even that is an ok timepass.

there is a prequel (1963),IMDB given the same plot, wat i have seen was harrison ford starred.

ajithfederer
21st January 2010, 08:59 PM
No Not that. This one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Marshals_(film)

Appu s
21st January 2010, 09:35 PM
No Not that. This one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Marshals_(film)

ok ok :D

Intha link US marshal wiki page :lol: the underscore mingled with underline :P

Vivasaayi
21st January 2010, 10:23 PM
Videodrome - David Cronenberg

WTH!!!

I liked his History of Violence.This movie I wouldnt call boring at all- but what the heck was going on in screen for last 30 min!

ajithfederer
21st January 2010, 10:35 PM
Engalai ketta?. :lol:. Paatha neenga dhan sollanum.

but what the heck was going on in screen for last 30 min!

[tscii:e65c0debf7]Not necessarily. :).

The most elitist director or author who claims that he doesn’t care if his works are seen or not, then I have to think that he’s either a liar or a hypocrite.[/tscii:e65c0debf7]

Vivasaayi
21st January 2010, 10:37 PM
"left it to the interpretation of audience" ku level vendama?

when i searched for explanation abt what the movie is really abt - it goes upto "existential angst",Jean-Paul Sartre - idhukke padame thevulapaaaaa!

Engalai ketta?. :lol:. Paatha neenga dhan sollanum.

but what the heck was going on in screen for last 30 min!

P_R
21st January 2010, 10:50 PM
k-g look at me :-)

Viv,
Club membership (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=12740&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) kaasu kEkkalaamnu irukkEn.

eppidi dhenathikkum pEsikkalAmA, mAsAmAsam pEsikkalAmA

ajithfederer
21st January 2010, 10:50 PM
True Lies 8-). Right up there with T-2.

Tom Arnold was funny. "Kids, 10 seconds of Joy 30 years of misery"

"Son of a b@# was with her for two minutes and she is ready to bear his children"

Vivasaayi
21st January 2010, 11:04 PM
k-g look at me :-)

Viv,
Club membership (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=12740&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) kaasu kEkkalaamnu irukkEn.

eppidi dhenathikkum pEsikkalAmA, mAsAmAsam pEsikkalAmA

Ive liked these type of movies-Donnie Darko,Audition-but atleast the available interpretations should be clear.

I would put it like - when a movie moves into the zone of metaphor,simile etc - trying to insinuate something else through a different story -velaikkaavadhu...basically for two reasons

1.innum naan pakkuva padala

2.Its hard to feel for/understand the intended meaning from a foriegn movie - being brought up in a completely different sociopolitical environment

kid-glove
22nd January 2010, 10:42 AM
Vivs,
It's not "pakkuvam", but this facilitating of 'different interpretations' that P_R is worried about, and that it kinda 'misses the point'. So what you said as "but atleast the available interpretations should be clear." pretty much becomes 3rd point in your post, and most important point of contention. P_R has a point there. I'm daunted, taunted and haunted by it. I'm indecisive at this moment. :oops:

About Cronenberg and Videodrome, more later. I'm in "Football" mode, mood and ecstasy :boo: Will "switch" or "leap" to being a film receptor and then reply. :)

kid-glove
22nd January 2010, 10:43 AM
True Lies 8-). Right up there with T-2.

Tom Arnold was funny. "Kids, 10 seconds of Joy 30 years of misery"

"Son of a b@# was with her for two minutes and she is ready to bear his children"

Arnie is :rotfl:

Great philum.

kid-glove
22nd January 2010, 10:47 AM
[tscii:de202167a2]
Not necessarily. .

The most elitist director or author who claims that he doesn’t care if his works are seen or not, then I have to think that he’s either a liar or a hypocrite.[/tscii:de202167a2]
I don't know, because I feel more the "eyeballs" on the creation, more the relief and assurance of the creative burden.

The quote was actually from Haneke, one of my favorite filmmaker.

kid-glove
22nd January 2010, 10:52 AM
------------

of course, quality needless to say. Volver's screenplay reeks genius.

Woody Allen paaththadhe illa :oops: Reverse la aarambichurukken (Vicky Christina Barcelona, liked it). Aduththu avarukkum sketch potruken.

Raikkonen
22nd January 2010, 12:32 PM
Stephen King's It.

stopped watching it halfway. not that it's actively bad or something, but you really can't indulge (??) in clown themed horror movies without thinking about John Gacey :cry: Disturbing.

Vivasaayi
22nd January 2010, 05:40 PM
Vivs,
It's not "pakkuvam", but this facilitating of 'different interpretations' that P_R is worried about, and that it kinda 'misses the point'.

Its ok if the director facilitates it clearly - whatever interpretations possible in that movie must be intentionally and clearly implemented.All those interpretations must be his intent/point.When the audience interprets something that is not thought by the director himself(when he leaves it completely open),then I dont understand whats the point.

kid-glove
22nd January 2010, 05:42 PM
Vivs,
It's not "pakkuvam", but this facilitating of 'different interpretations' that P_R is worried about, and that it kinda 'misses the point'.

Its ok if the director facilitates it clearly - whatever interpretations possible in that movie must be intentionally implemented.All those interpretations must be his intent/point.When the audience interprets something that is not thought by the director himself(when he leaves it completely open),then I dont understand whats the point.

Yeah, that's what P_R is worried about, immensely.

P_R
22nd January 2010, 05:48 PM
k-g, either here or there why don't you mention an example of an interpretation you enjoyed immensely when you were pretty sure the author wouldn't have intended it that way.

kid-glove
22nd January 2010, 07:02 PM
Moved to other thread.

Vivasaayi
22nd January 2010, 07:52 PM
Vivs,

About Cronenberg and Videodrome, more later. I'm in "Football" mode, mood and ecstasy :boo: Will "switch" or "leap" to being a film receptor and then reply. :)

:)

ajithfederer
22nd January 2010, 08:45 PM
Hot Shots Part Deux :rotfl2:. Hit aana oru hollywood padathayum vittu vekkala. Otti Thallitanuga :lol2:.

I was laughing uncontrollably when Charlie Sheen hits the other boxer at the end of the game. :rotfl:

kid-glove
22nd January 2010, 10:47 PM
Vivs,
Thanks for the reminder, I'll do it after midnight.

-----

Right now, I'm making video compilations. Related to this thread, and if you're interested, I've used opening track of Pulp fiction, track named "misirlou", to Arsenal's 1st half vs Bolton. 2nd half will have another track from the film OST. I'm rendering it.

Uploaded first part already:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5tVLDYnu7k

kid-glove
23rd January 2010, 03:14 AM
My reading is partly based on Cronenberg Interview in (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YOqDTabvfE&feature=channel) different (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Dfu5rNGBk&feature=channel) parts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlgRqha8_JY&feature=channel), and also based on two or three other films made by Cronenberg (Existenz and maybe even Naked lunch). The interview is useful in that it is mostly about themes covered.

(Spoilers ahead)
As said by Cronenberg, the film is essentially a critique on extreme "sex and violence" finding outlet through Tape and Satellite, into Television. (The upcoming remake would probably involve Internet, and extend this. David Cronenberg had made a similar film on "simulated games" and loss of reality in 1999 film "ExistenZ")
The protagonist is co-owner of a channel broadcasting soft-core porn, and violent films. And the protagonist isn't just marketing a product in demand (he admits this so freely in Television interview, right?!), but is also his own weakness (or obsession). He descrambles using a pirate receptor (who could be respectfully compared to "hackers" in Internet). But we later find out the pirate guy is actually employed and is part of the secret organization developing this hallucination-causing violence-inducing snuff film, which would soon be telecast across United States. Their motives are unclear. I suppose it's the blanks left open - the danger of terrorism is one thing, and "combative control" of government, but what we do know is it has a vicious dictatorial ideology to cleanse audience such as the protagonist. The social dangers of television is read out by philosopher named so cheekily as "Oblivion", who predicts the future in the same TV interview with the protagonist. His clinic run by his daughter, is to help homeless get social lives through "television service", in vision of her father. Later we find out through one last tape (a "snuff film" recorded by him) the professor was initially asked to design "Videodrome", but as he found out what it were intended for, he had protested and therefore gets killed. Now, the "tumor" in brain (the word they were looking for, might be 'psychosis' or maybe even 'mutation') takes control of the reality into a tv 'aesthetic', the sleazy production values kind of distortion, for the victim (in this case, the protagonist) to manifest his "violent tendencies" that he were, until then, realizing it through TV. The reality is distorted to a state where his body is also manifesting into sleazy violence aesthetic. The vaginal shaped opening into his torso, the hand mutating into a gun, etc. The Videodrome agents influence(or program) him to kill the co-owners of his channel. and ordered to kill the philosopher's daughter, she plays a video that kills this "warped reality" state by a television manifesting into animate object, actually a humanoid hand-with-gun. This shooting ends with this humanoid-TV bleeding and the protagonist wakes up reborn. free from control. She implants a new ideology of "new flesh". In that, he is free from control of videodrome and he could actively go against it. The comical ways by which he terminates the "Videodrome" agents is the distorted "tv aesthetic" of violence doubly distorted by the newly programmed "new flesh". This "conditioning" is very cinematic and hardly a moral judgment (I prefer that way!), as admitted by Cronenberg in that interview, the state of protagonist is in many ways representation of lurking danger of kids mimicking violence in schools. And in many such incidents, the kids take their lives at the end of it. Here, the film ends on an open note, he either commits suicide or is making up his own personal (re-)program to transform out of distorted state?! Or is he giving up his life. OR is he evolved into something else, if we were to believe the image on TV asking him not to worry about his "body".

kid-glove
23rd January 2010, 03:26 AM
Btw I watched the philum again (before posting the above post, there are lot of visual hints to delineate reality and distorted reality), can't really say it was an enriching experience. It had withered down a bit, but certainly ahead of its time. In this case, Equa is spot-on about "constant reevaluation" of films, in that I can't actually divorce my initial thoughts but the reassurance of subsequent Cronenberg films and the interview helps to connect the disjointed points.

Vivasaayi
23rd January 2010, 08:08 AM
Thanks Thilak :)

there are lot of visual hints to delineate reality and distorted reality)
Thats where it was confusing - differentiating between reality and the distorted reality...I dint get the hints.

Equa is spot-on about "constant reevaluation" of films, in that I can't actually divorce my initial thoughts but the reassurance of subsequent Cronenberg films and the interview helps to connect the disjointed points

existenz is in queue!I like his style - something that is crispy - he makes movie that runs for abt 80-90 min and the plot builds up interestingly.

VENKIRAJA
23rd January 2010, 11:31 AM
Disappointed, but well it was visually spectacular. Same feelings as to Titanic, I should say. Watched it on the 100th day or something, I remember vaguely.. And then on New year 2000.

Appu s
23rd January 2010, 11:51 AM
El secreto de sus ojos (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1305806/)-(the secret in their eyes)- Simply superb! retired criminal court employee tried to write a novel,based on 25 years ago case in which a girl was raped and killed, and he was helped to solve the case... interesting movie... wonderful performance. :2thumbsup: :clap:

kid-glove
23rd January 2010, 12:04 PM
I dint get the hints.
- Not much. But in my second viewing which was last night, I was able to see a change of tone, and the mise-en-scene like the apartment looks much different. Moreover, there is an exaggerated perception (like animate tv, animate tape, animate gun flexed into his skeleton, etc) only gradually appearing. I suppose that is proportional to him watching the video and its effect slowly distorting his mind.

existenz is in queue!I like his style - something that is crispy - he makes movie that runs for abt 80-90 min and the plot builds up interestingly.
- :thumbsup: It has lot more twists, good looking stars, and I'm not sure of what he intended at many places. The ending is a big "twist", and makes us question the full ride. So Good luck! One interesting thing though - here in Videodrome, the protagonist is made to flux the "Gun" into his nerves, veins and skeletal muscles (in a grotesque graphic sequence), signifying that the action of pulling the trigger and the bullet piercing into the target are both "organic" and within our human body. It's actually "us" who are the proponent of "violence", not the gun. In a similar sense, there are comical weapons in "Existenz", everything is organic !! Made from human bones and teeths. :P

Vivasaayi
23rd January 2010, 02:32 PM
- Not much. But in my second viewing which was last night, I was able to see a change of tone, and the mise-en-scene like the apartment looks much different. Moreover, there is an exaggerated perception (like animate tv, animate tape, animate gun flexed into his skeleton, etc) only gradually appearing. I suppose that is proportional to him watching the video and its effect slowly distorting his mind.

ok :)

avlo thuLLiyama paakala!

-So Good luck! One interesting thing though - here in Videodrome, the protagonist is made to flux the "Gun" into his nerves, veins and skeletal muscles (in a grotesque graphic sequence), signifying that the action of pulling the trigger and the bullet piercing into the target are both "organic" and within our human body. It's actually "us" who are the proponent of "violence", not the gun. In a similar sense, there are comical weapons in "Existenz", everything is organic !! Made from human bones and teeths. :P

yep!He is the Gun and TV is the mind. :)

kid-glove
23rd January 2010, 03:41 PM
The same with "Broken Embraces", I am not putting them here for the risk of spoilers. But he has ultimately saanju ukkaandhufied in his naarkaali.

Just finishing watching it. Totally agree.

But still quite an enjoyable ride. All these years, Almodovar hasn't stepped out of his universe, a very indelible, interesting and unique experience on its own. :clap:

kid-glove
23rd January 2010, 03:55 PM
Btw, special kudos to Lluis Homar, incredible actor who can show restraint and nuance by showing least amount of expression/effort. :clap:

AravindMano
23rd January 2010, 06:28 PM
:D Agree about Lluis Homar. Was initially apprehensive how he would carry himself (romancing Penelope and all). (Also because all i remember about him is that he romanced Gael Bernal in Bad Education :lol:).

One more interesting thing in his films is to watch the same actors again in radically different roles. For eg., the senile father of Penelope in AAMB here becomes the aggressive husband and he was very convincing! (The "No Lips" was a cracker!)

kid-glove
24th January 2010, 01:41 PM
True that (reg. flexibility of Almodovar's actors).

I thought Penelope's character was well-written, very challenging for her. In that, Lena has many shades, one being the slightly manipulative facade who turns mistress, the other is her normal/purest form which we only see at relaxed moments (:P) with Mateo and at difficulties with dying father, and then there is the actress who is dying to perform. And this is also true of other pivotal characters, Ernesto, Mateo and Judit. They are so real and have a well cut-out dimension to it, superb progression as the narrative proceeds. Swinging from a noir (of course Lena, the 'femme fatale', is condemned by fatality' and the fall guy finding back himself, from Harry Caine to Mateo again) to a movie within a movie (once again Almodovar's love for movies "films are to be finished, even if blindfolded" says Mateo) to being about regained relationships (especially the father-son and Mateo-Judit at the end). The usual Hitch tropes, obsession, suspicion, and jealousy which Almodovar often employs. Like most of his films 'the tone change' between mystery and "broken embraces", the relationships. :)

kid-glove
24th January 2010, 02:09 PM
Watching "Fantastic Mr.Fox".

The Roald Dahl story and elements have given a good "animation" outlet for Wes Anderson, a gifted filmmaker. I'm going to finish watching it.

P_R
24th January 2010, 02:09 PM
Red, White, Blue
What's the order ? Is there one ?

kid-glove
24th January 2010, 02:12 PM
Red, White, Blue

Not really. No

AravindMano
24th January 2010, 02:51 PM
Yep, very true about Lena's character. But did you really think Judit's character progressed thru the film? I thought the weakest link in the film was Mateo-Judit & Mateo-Judit's son. Very predictable, isn't? It didn't add anything siginificant or rather anything new to the film. Already their relationship was in a vague framework of Dad-Mom-Son.

And, hope you realized the film-within-film is "Women on the verge of nervous breakdown". I was pleasantly surprised on seeing that. What a great self-referential idea - Mateo revisits his film after twenty years and Almodovar revisits his own film after twenty years. :)

AravindMano
24th January 2010, 02:56 PM
Red, White, Blue

No, but "Red" kinda finishes the triology. I would suggest - adha kadaisiyaa paarunga. I watched it first (maththa reNdu paakkala innum) and i had three more questions added to the long list of questions. :lol: It is a very minor thing, but if you have decided to watch all the three, you can very well reserve Red to the last.

"Red" would find its way to my Top Ten Films Ever Watched. Enna padam. Kieslowski :notworthy:

P_R
24th January 2010, 03:05 PM
Thank You
rendu mooNu idathula indha maadhiri views paarthEn
I will start with Red then. yEn nA mudhalla paakura padam pudikkalainnA thodarndhu pArppEnnu solla mudiyAdhu.

kid-glove
24th January 2010, 03:25 PM
But did you really think Judit's character progressed thru the film? I thought the weakest link in the film was Mateo-Judit & Mateo-Judit's son. Very predictable, isn't? It didn't add anything siginificant or rather anything new to the film. Already their relationship was in a vague framework of Dad-Mom-Son.
Oh really? But on what grounds was there a framework until the end? At the start, I didn't get the point of Judit. Only that her son would be Mateo's way to narrate the story. But Judit, I suppose, conforms to Chekhov's 'rifle theory', it triggers off in the end. I never really thought they had anything more than a professional relationship. The beginning scene, when that beautiful blonde would be making up with Mateo, Judit comes in and says he got to be careful. There is a nuance in that came off as a "protective" one than the "envy" & "possessive" of being an ex- (only later we realize she had mellowed down after guilt of her part in Lena-Mateo disruption. And that she is still yearning for redemption.). But only later, we get to understand that better. Or not?!

the film-within-film is "Women on the verge of nervous breakdown".
Yeah, somewhat! Not entirely sure.

kid-glove
24th January 2010, 03:31 PM
Watching "Fantastic Mr.Fox".

The Roald Dahl story and elements have given a good "animation" outlet for Wes Anderson, a gifted filmmaker. I'm going to finish watching it.

Finished it. Thoroughly enjoyable. A mild, accessible 'light comedy' by West Anderson. He played it straight, and should be a good watch for kids too!

P_R
24th January 2010, 03:43 PM
Lola Rennt
Good one.

chevy
24th January 2010, 03:56 PM
I just watched Juno. Okayish. :S :S

kid-glove
24th January 2010, 03:58 PM
Lola Rennt
Good one. :thumbsup:

Sid_316
24th January 2010, 05:05 PM
Lola Rennt
Good one. :thumbsup:

y is it so good? is it because of the screenplay/narrative?

kid-glove
24th January 2010, 05:18 PM
Yeah, one of the reasons for sure. It's a good watch.

Only later I knew of "Przypadek", Tykwer, Kieslowski sishyan, got me to Kieslowski. :clap:

P_R
24th January 2010, 05:42 PM
Nice and easy watch
Engaging

The father's mistress twist in the stories is what I liked best. The rest of the what-ifs were all show - interesting nevertheless. That one was very profound IMO - Coens, for instance, would have taken something like that and made something 'real' and funny.
Like Nicholas Cage's 'goodbye letter' sequence in Raising Arizona :lol:

Sid_316
24th January 2010, 05:42 PM
Yeah, one of the reasons for sure. It's a good watch.

Only later I knew of "Przypadek", Tykwer, Kieslowski sishyan, got me to Kieslowski. :clap:

Yea thats wat i was about to type :) . Same actually after seeing this movie only i got to know about przypadek.. infact 12b was the movie which made me to see all these :lol:

kid-glove
24th January 2010, 05:43 PM
12B got me to "Sliding doors", and that got me to "Lola". :lol:

ajithfederer
24th January 2010, 08:48 PM
Behind enemy Lines: Fantastic stuff.

AravindMano
24th January 2010, 10:16 PM
But did you really think Judit's character progressed thru the film? I thought the weakest link in the film was Mateo-Judit & Mateo-Judit's son. Very predictable, isn't? It didn't add anything siginificant or rather anything new to the film. Already their relationship was in a vague framework of Dad-Mom-Son.
Oh really? But on what grounds was there a framework until the end? At the start, I didn't get the point of Judit. Only that her son would be Mateo's way to narrate the story. But Judit, I suppose, conforms to Chekhov's 'rifle theory', it triggers off in the end. I never really thought they had anything more than a professional relationship. The beginning scene, when that beautiful blonde would be making up with Mateo, Judit comes in and says he got to be careful. There is a nuance in that came off as a "protective" one than the "envy" & "possessive" of being an ex- (only later we realize she had mellowed down after guilt of her part in Lena-Mateo disruption. And that she is still yearning for redemption.). But only later, we get to understand that better. Or not?!

the film-within-film is "Women on the verge of nervous breakdown".
Yeah, somewhat! Not entirely sure.

I felt that the relationship between them was very intriguing. I would put it this way - If Almodovar doesn't explain the relationship at end, I would have still thought that Judit & Mateo had an affair. As the film progresses, Judit's reactions to Mateo-Lena affiar made me think so. (Possessive, may be. Or the friction between a secretary who became the mistress of her Boss (Lena) and an assistant who loves/likes her director?). It is not that there was a perfect clue somewhere, it was just not surprising at the end to know this.

I was initially tricked - I thought Mateo was not actually blind and pretending to be. Did you think that way? (When Ernesto first visits his home and rings the bell, Mateo "looks" through the view finder. Why would a visually challenged person do that? :)

P_R
25th January 2010, 12:19 AM
A Man Escaped

Bresson's bare-style is very interesting. Just depicting, even without bothering to create any drama.

The feel is very much like Pickpocket (which was better IMO) so I am guessing it is a 'if you've seen one, you've seen 'em all' situ.

venkkiram
25th January 2010, 07:49 AM
The River Wild

thriller movie ..

Kevin Bacon கதையில் நுழைந்த நொடி முதல் கடைசி வரை சென்ற திரைக்கதை அசத்தல்..

Meryl Streep, Kevin Bacon இருவருக்கும் அற்புதமான நடிப்பு..

ஒளிப்பதிவாளருக்கு பாராட்டுக்கள்!

ajaybaskar
25th January 2010, 02:18 PM
Couples Retreat.

Not a bad movie at all.. Thalaivar's music has been wasted though...

kid-glove
25th January 2010, 03:35 PM
It is not that there was a perfect clue somewhere, it was just not surprising at the end to know this.
I agree but the tone with which the film began and ended called for this. Remember how the film is also very cheekily constructed. Mateo says he wants to write a new script, based on Arthur Miller's deserted son. That was again self-referential to the film, & thinking about it, Mateo and son are unaware & yet bonded, as against Ernesto and Jr, who are quirky, self-serving recreants. If it(father-son) had been vaguely constructed and unrevealed, we wouldn't be sure of this divergence, as if it were only just 'incidental'. (note P_R :P )

I was initially tricked - I thought Mateo was not actually blind and pretending to be. Did you think that way? (When Ernesto first visits his home and rings the bell, Mateo "looks" through the view finder. Why would a visually challenged person do that?
Same here. Only later realized to be "palaka dosham" or a certain idiosyncratic 'routine' for a Blind man !

kid-glove
26th January 2010, 12:23 PM
Funny People

- A tolerable Adam Sandler Comedy. Well thats because it's Apatow product.

Bala (Karthik)
26th January 2010, 12:35 PM
Dazed and Confused :fatigue: :cry3:

kid-glove
26th January 2010, 12:52 PM

Wrong thread...wrong thread. "Last song you listened to". :wink: :lol:

Sid_316
26th January 2010, 01:48 PM
Funny People

It wasnt funny at all :x Maybe some parts.. sema bore :fatigue:

kid-glove
26th January 2010, 01:57 PM
Funny People

It's more of a light-hearted drama. I could stand this, than a typical Sandler histrionics-filled film. :oops:

Sid_316
26th January 2010, 02:04 PM
Funny People

It's more of a light-hearted drama. I could stand this, than a typical Sandler histrionics-filled film. :oops:

Lol yea u r right! :P

Bala (Karthik)
26th January 2010, 02:22 PM

Wrong thread...wrong thread. "Last song you listened to". :wink: :lol:
Wiki says they asked Led Zeppelin for permission to use this song and Plant seems to have refused and fortunately so :notworthy:

Tarrantino-vukkum enakkum aagave aagadhu pola irukku (Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs apart)

Raikkonen
26th January 2010, 02:46 PM
Citizen X - :thumbsup:

More like a documentary. But quite brutal.

P_R
26th January 2010, 04:08 PM

Stephen Rea was very impressive

P_R
26th January 2010, 04:20 PM
Red by Kieslowski
:-|

Felt like it had some good ideas but no-one went through the bother of putting them together and making it 'believable' and interesting. Ordinary writing with very surface-y lines, situations , characterizations but with aspirations of depth.

Aalavanthan
26th January 2010, 04:34 PM
The Book of Eli :yes:

One of the post-apocalyptic genres. Denzel never disappoints me and has fulfilled this in this movie as well. The man is 56 and yet he comes up with some of the best action movies off late.. No No.. not the fighting sequences but with the best action sequences ofcourse with the help of the DTS .. Kudos to the director for not revealing what is there in the book until the end and yet there is a twist just before the end which connects the characters in the movie.

Spoiler quote: "This is a civilized society, no humans are allowed here "

kid-glove
26th January 2010, 07:14 PM
Felt like it had some good ideas but no-one went through the bother of putting them together and making it 'believable' and interesting.

Expand this a bit. I see a good debate on horizon.

kid-glove
26th January 2010, 07:33 PM

Downloading this next. :thumbsup:

Raikkonen
26th January 2010, 08:04 PM

Downloading this next. :thumbsup:

:cool2:

explore a bit about chikatilo's story... :) quite disturbing and genuinely chilling.

kid-glove
26th January 2010, 08:08 PM
Oh true story-ngala !

kid-glove
26th January 2010, 08:14 PM
Tarrantino-vukkum enakkum aagave aagadhu pola irukku (Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs apart)

:lol: I exactly get why the film isn't liked.

QT (nan kuda) indha genre-piriyar. "Hangout" is one of his pet themes and a favorite genre (almost all his films save "Kill bill" have this as a sub-genre), where the characters hang around, through its length. This film especially, we are like the characters, there are no life lessons (except if Pink floyd declining the offer of the football coach could be taken as one) or points to be taken, but just kill/waste time looking at 'em "wasted/high". There are no "laugh out loud" jokes, but silly repartees, and genre characters. The lack of ambition, irreverence to conformism/establishment, I suppose, a thing of 70's. The decade probably kick-started the fashion of being "wasted" as only way of living through "farce" of 70's (Vietnam, Watergate scandal, etc). This were achieved not through cliques (Hippies?) alone but through normal established house/institutions.

One consolation is this is not at extremity of Linklater's pointless exercise (Slacker is and heck, I liked that too :lol: )

Raikkonen
26th January 2010, 08:14 PM
Oh true story-ngala !

:yes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Chikatilo

kid-glove
26th January 2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks Raiks. Interesting!

kid-glove
26th January 2010, 08:28 PM
One other thing is, the common motif of Linklater films are never about getting to the roots of the culture, but at somewhat superficial level, observing 'em.

A character, pompous independent filmmaker, in his film "Tape" says:

Seriously,where I can contribute to a larger debate about why this country's so fucked up. Like for example, why is it that a 50-whatever-year-old fire chief feels the need to get stoned every night? Right? What is it about life in America that's driving that urge in him?

AravindMano
26th January 2010, 09:36 PM
It is not that there was a perfect clue somewhere, it was just not surprising at the end to know this.
I agree but the tone with which the film began and ended called for this. Remember how the film is also very cheekily constructed. Mateo says he wants to write a new script, based on Arthur Miller's deserted son. That was again self-referential to the film, & thinking about it, Mateo and son are unaware & yet bonded, as against Ernesto and Jr, who are quirky, self-serving recreants. If it(father-son) had been vaguely constructed and unrevealed, we wouldn't be sure of this divergence, as if it were only just 'incidental'. (note P_R :P )

Good point.

AravindMano
26th January 2010, 09:39 PM
Red by Kieslowski

Felt like it had some good ideas but no-one went through the bother of putting them together and making it 'believable' and interesting. Ordinary writing with very surface-y lines, situations , characterizations but with aspirations of depth.

First reaction - :|

Second reaction - pinnaadi irukkum namadhu kid-glove-vai thirumbi paarthu oru :?

kid-glove
26th January 2010, 09:54 PM
I expect a debate between you two periyavaL.

Chinna payan-a odhungi solrEn, Kamaan ya !

Btw AravindMano, fair point about seeing Red last. I think it completes "White" (with a happy ending!) and further reassures denouement of "Blue" with one helf of a climax. But equally, if you watched it first, it's just as fair to say "Red" sets a wild precursor for characters of "Blue" and "White". To extend the previous discussion on "Blue" with Equa, I must say it's further confirmation of the protagonist's (Binoche's) recovery from the period of "austerity".

AravindMano
27th January 2010, 10:25 AM
two periyavaL
----------------
chinna payan-a odhungi solrEn
----------------

bEsh bEsh. romba nannaa irukku neenga solRadhu. (aka aasa dosa appaLam vada!)

AravindMano
27th January 2010, 10:29 AM
Btw AravindMano, fair point about seeing Red last. I think it completes "White" (with a happy ending!) and further reassures denouement of "Blue" with one helf of a climax. But equally, if you watched it first, it's just as fair to say "Red" sets a wild precursor for characters of "Blue" and "White". To extend the previous discussion on "Blue" with Equa, I must say it's further confirmation of the protagonist's (Binoche's) recovery from the period of "austerity".

Right. I haven't watched "Blue" / "White", i suggested to watch "Red" first simply because of the (happy) ending of the other two stories. Just a guess as all the characters appear at the end.

"Blue" paakkaNum. remba naaLa pending. oru dhadava skim paNNi paaththappo this actress was pressing the same piano key in all scenes. seri nu vittuttEn. :lol:

avven
27th January 2010, 10:49 AM
Awake - :thumbsup: :clap:

kid-glove
27th January 2010, 11:29 AM
oru dhadava skim paNNi paaththappo this actress was pressing the same piano key in all scenes. seri nu vittuttEn. :lol:

:lol: Appadiya?! Don't remember that. But I don't think she ever plays the piano with conviction. Something eventful happens ! Hence why she couldn't get around to playing chords. Anyway, Piano doesn't appear in middle parts of the film.

Btw It's actually very good. The way Kieslowski has captured music, and musical tones, reverberating around her. The scene where she traces the notes with her finger, the chord & chorus gets played in her head. :clap:

Appu s
27th January 2010, 12:55 PM
The Hurt Locker :clap: :clap:

Dinesh84
27th January 2010, 01:54 PM
Austin Powers 1 & 2 :lol:

littlemaster1982
28th January 2010, 12:28 AM
Snatch - Total riot :rotfl3:

groucho070
28th January 2010, 07:01 AM
French Connection II a revisit.

With the word "sequel" getting a bad rep, I wonder if future generation, why, even the Gen-Y movie buff would ever remember this movie.

Sure it brushed dangerously with fish out of water gimmick at times (there were fishes literally in the opening scene which makes you wonder if heaven-sent director Frankenheimer is winking at us).

It may lack the pace of the original, and not even a car chase, but it worked as a thriller. And Gene Hackman...enna oru nadigar! :notworthy:

Edit: Kamal fans should really know this film and don't get me wrong, I liked that film :wink:

P_R
28th January 2010, 08:38 AM
Red by Kieslowski

First reaction - :|

Second reaction - pinnaadi irukkum namadhu kid-glove-vai thirumbi paarthu oru :? :-)

First of, let me say that the charge of 'did not come together' well enough is the most subjective of all the subjective opinions that one can have about a film.

Why does the judge open up to Valentine ?

Ever since his 'betrayal' he has shut himself in and only 'observes' the world.
To him judging can happen only by consciously blocking out empathy (if I had been their shoes, I would have killed stolen etc.). He doesn't communicate with anyone but opens up to the Valentine nearly right off the bat.
Rather than being shrouded and cloaked he gets into 'deep' conversation mode almost rightaway. Even if that is supposed to be paradoxical, I felt that wasn't established at all. So all the conversations that followed made me uncomfortable on the lines of : why would she tell a random man all this, why would he tell her all this. And then him talking about the neighbors, making his life's 'work' vulnerable, several decadeslong secret in a few days (imagine Major Sundarrajan: idhu varaikkum yaarukkumE sollAma vachurundha ragasiyathai unakku naan solla pOrEn).

All I could see was, it was very 'convenient' writing. You want the audience to learn about all that, so you engineer such sequences that would strike low on credibility but move the story where you want it to
Amid all this she is the girl he never met (much like the younger replica of him - whatever that is supposed to mean). So he may have wanted to break all his silences and felt the urge to talk to her. That is fine too, but even that needs to be shown.

'The role of luck' is all very well. There too the crucial difference is how it is done/shown. The audience should be thrilled (okay that's supposedly a bad word, will think and replace with a euphemism) by luck. That we think we are in control and luck messes and interconnects things in ways we can't understand, should be presented very very credibly. Else it will be akin to DD stage plays : idhO avarE vandhuttaarE. Of course I am exaggerating, but prachanai ellAm oNNu dhaan.The other parts, like the suspicious boyfriend, were annoyingly cliched. Valentine's hesitant rejection of the photographer's kiss was the lone highpoint of that strand.

Anyway, this is what I mean when I say "it didn't come together too well'. Screenwriting is one tough job I say. Kurosawa apparently would have co-writers whose only job would be to audit him: hey you are cheating. you just want the character to say that/react that way. It won't happen like that etc. I think that is a vital part of the process. This is how these characters are, and I have shown you some things that happen to them, you take it from here - is something I find unsatisfactory. Aphorism-kum Poem-kum irukkura vidhyAsam.

P_R
28th January 2010, 08:39 AM
OK, let me ask the deadly question: what is the all-pervasive red supposed to mean ? It is what it is-A ?

AravindMano
28th January 2010, 10:16 AM

Adhu dhaan padaththOda crux-ngradhu ennOda karuththu.

Let me first confess that most of my readings into the film happened after multiple viewing / discussing / reading about the film.

How did the judge send her the cheque to pay back for the dog's treatment, without knowing her name (forget even the address :) )? Why would he pay four times more than what actually could have cost there by bringing her to his home again? Every scene can turn out to be a "why"!

The Judge is the creator of the film who inserts himself into his creation and perfectly orchestrates his characters. (The obvious clue is of course the coin that gets flipped by the junior lawyer's lover). He knows what his characters talk ("eavesdropping"), he decides what his characters should to (when the lawyer's lover flips the coin to decide their trip, the Judge too flips one). His ultimate motive is, after all, to direct his two characters to find their match. (Whether the lawyer actualls *exists* is a different thing, he could be just the memory of the judge)

>>Ever since his 'betrayal' he has shut himself in and only 'observes' the world.
>>

Didn't get this betrayal thing, padam paaththu romba naaLaachu.

AravindMano
28th January 2010, 10:18 AM
OK, let me ask the deadly question: what is the all-pervasive red supposed to mean ? It is what it is-A ?

The three colours are the primary colours in France's flag - Red representing "fraternity" if I am right.

AravindMano
28th January 2010, 10:28 AM
oru dhadava skim paNNi paaththappo this actress was pressing the same piano key in all scenes. seri nu vittuttEn. :lol:

:lol: Appadiya?! Don't remember that. But I don't think she ever plays the piano with conviction. Something eventful happens ! Hence why she couldn't get around to playing chords. Anyway, Piano doesn't appear in middle parts of the film.

No, was chumma exaggerating. :lol:

Raikkonen
28th January 2010, 11:16 AM
My Bloody Valentine :?

hey tarantino loves it very much.. who am i to argue.. :lol:

too much blood (even for a slasher).. more like a splatter. liked the (twist) ending. it deserves a sequel. No no not the awful remake.

ajithfederer
28th January 2010, 11:58 AM
Syriana - Very Good.

kid-glove
28th January 2010, 02:59 PM

Adhu dhaan padaththOda crux-ngradhu ennOda karuththu.

Let me first confess that most of my readings into the film happened after multiple viewing / discussing / reading about the film.

How did the judge send her the cheque to pay back for the dog's treatment, without knowing her name (forget even the address :) )? Why would he pay four times more than what actually could have cost there by bringing her to his home again? Every scene can turn out to be a "why"!

The Judge is the creator of the film who inserts himself into his creation and perfectly orchestrates his characters. (The obvious clue is of course the coin that gets flipped by the junior lawyer's lover). He knows what his characters talk ("eavesdropping"), he decides what his characters should to (when the lawyer's lover flips the coin to decide their trip, the Judge too flips one). His ultimate motive is, after all, to direct his two characters to find their match. (Whether the lawyer actualls *exists* is a different thing, he could be just the memory of the judge)

Thanks for that. I think the film is worth exploring more. The ending made it clearer that normalcy of plot doesn't interest him much as many of the themes. He is clearly packed with as many foreshadowing and clues to this.

I hadn't read much about "Red". But I read that in his first drafted script for "White", he had written a part where this suspicious boyfriend (Michel) meets Karol (the main character in "White"), but later it had been removed or edited out. Another vital moment in "White" which would be much of spoiler is missing from the final cut. I guess it's same with "Red". It had been consciously cut and put together.

>>Ever since his 'betrayal' he has shut himself in and only 'observes' the world.
>>
Didn't get this betrayal thing, padam paaththu romba naaLaachu.

The old judge's wife betrays him. These concurrences with the young lawyer (About to turn into judge), I suspect, is what hits the sidenote, Whether the lawyer actually *exists* is a different thing, he could be just the memory of the judge, in your post.

ajaybaskar
28th January 2010, 04:30 PM
Law abiding citizen.

Watchable for Gerard Butler.

AravindMano
28th January 2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks for that.

My pleasure.

I think the film is worth exploring more. The ending made it clearer that normalcy of plot doesn't interest him much as many of the themes. He is clearly packed with as many foreshadowing and clues to this.

Certainly. I remember reading a great analysis of the film. Though i remember most of it now, I haven't still mastered the art of putting thoughts very coherently & clearly. :) I shall rather dig up the link and post it here.

Aalavanthan
28th January 2010, 05:25 PM
Law abiding citizen.

What do you think the difference between this movie and Shawshank Redemption ? :D

ajithfederer
29th January 2010, 12:05 AM
RocknRolla (2008)

Easily this is the most accessible movie of Guy Ritchie for me. Tops over his other ventures hands down. This film has some fluid writing and performances and it flows so lucidly. A fantastic film with so many naughtly one liners and along with britees accent it makes them even funny. Thandie Newton is (S)excellent as Accountant Stella. That sex scene has to be one of the fastest, funniest and the most creative ones I have seen in movies. Gerard Butler, Tom Hardy and Idris Elba are cool as "The Wild Bunch". Mark Strong is very good as Archy.

The Russians chasing the Wild bunch scene is :rotfl2:. And in this film we have some of the coolest soundtracks. Eagerly awaiting "The Real RocknRolla" :thumbsup:.

Bala (Karthik)
29th January 2010, 02:18 AM
Screenwriting is one tough job I say. Kurosawa apparently would have co-writers whose only job would be to audit him: hey you are cheating. you just want the character to say that/react that way. It won't happen like that etc. I think that is a vital part of the process. This is how these characters are, and I have shown you some things that happen to them, you take it from here - is something I find unsatisfactory. Aphorism-kum Poem-kum irukkura vidhyAsam.
Oru tangent la poren:
Vera enga idha pathi pesaradhu nu therila. Ippo time-um frame of mind-um irukku. I'll register it here.

From another thread (http://hubmagazine.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=13624&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60)

Some very interesting points there, especially the quote from Aristotle's Poetics (which, needless to say, I'm not familiar with!). I'd not disagree if you say that our filmmaking style is "sophomoric majority of the time" in a general sense, but would if it's said specifically about "packaging it's lack of logic." I think different kinds of films have their own universe of logic. Which is how the audience is able to seamlessly buy into it.

Again, as I argued earlier, that it is not true is always known. In the best of films, the "lack of logic" simply doesn't matter because you're busy watching the story unfold. It's only when watching bad films, we stoop to nitpicking. :)

I'd not disagree if you say that our filmmaking style is "sophomoric majority of the time" in a general sense, but would if it's said specifically about "packaging it's lack of logic." I think different kinds of films have their own universe of logic. Which is how the audience is able to seamlessly buy into it.
I guess I have an issue with the "universe of logic" within most films and adherence to it. It is more of a relative issue than an absolute one.

I also didn't make the point I set out to make. Films that don't belong to the immediately fantastic genre - as in those that aren't immediately recognizable as requiring a whole new set of rules - coopt a semblance of the rules of immediate sensory reality. And it is a sort of implicit arrangement that the medium of film seems to have with the psyche. It is a very fundamental cognitive agreement the mind seems to have with the medium.
Very important point. Onnukku rendu thadava padikka vendirunchu, irundhaalum idha vida theliva eppadi solla mudiyum?! :thumbsup:

To put it differently, can this be seen as a characteristic of a sophomore film industry in any way? A big no.
Hmm.. I am not too emphatic about the 'no'. By calling it 'our' tradition we can't just brush it under the carpet.

The filmmaker has some work to get the reader - is something I will maintain till my kadaisi moochu.

He can't just take his megaphone and say "All of you report with your popcorns and suspensions of disbelief". That is pretty much what our sophomoric film tradition has been about. Whether 'our' films are indeed meant for us - is another market mechanical question. But I will be jumbling two many things if I get into that.

The 'internal logic' is the writer's job to establish. 'காபி சாப்பிட்டு முடித்துவிட்டு எழுந்த ராமசாமி, சிறகை விரித்து பறந்து போனார்'ஆப்பிடின்னு எழுதமுடியாது. Unless he is geting meta and trying to something on the lines of surreal/absurd etc., in which case too he has to do a good job of doing well or risk getting a ticket for reckless writing.
:rotfl3:

The question for Equa is, why shouldn't one expect "logic" within the framework set by the film? If that's taken away, what are the other things left in a film - things which can hold their own? How do we react positively or negatively in that case, and to what? It is possible to take something visually, aurally etc but in terms of writing? Isn't expecting characters and events to fall with the framework of logic (is it even the right word to use here?) set up by a film natural?

And as for the question of "if its acceptable in comedy, why not in 'serious' films?" - Typically, an important point of comedy is exaggeration, illaya? In fact, sometimes it is the whole point.

ajaybaskar
29th January 2010, 08:25 AM
Law abiding citizen.

What do you think the difference between this movie and Shawshank Redemption ? :D

I have'nt watched it yet, buddy. Heard that the movie is one of the all time greats.. Will check that out..

equanimus
29th January 2010, 12:44 PM
The question for Equa is, why shouldn't one expect "logic" within the framework set by the film? If that's taken away, what are the other things left in a film - things which can hold their own? How do we react positively or negatively in that case, and to what? It is possible to take something visually, aurally etc but in terms of writing? Isn't expecting characters and events to fall with the framework of logic (is it even the right word to use here?) set up by a film natural?Bala,
Anyone would, but the key here is "the framework set by the film" as you put it. The point is, usually there is one. (There might be inconsistencies in tone etc., but these problems exist in realistic universes too.) Tamil cinema is known for gravity-defying stunts et al., but I think everyone here would agree that no Tamil film would have a scene like the one PR describes here. Why? PR is of course exaggerating it to take it to an 'absurd' level. But the very notion that this is absurd clearly suggests that there's a 'non-absurd' manner in which the same thing could "happen," isn't it? :)

And as for the question of "if its acceptable in comedy, why not in 'serious' films?" - Typically, an important point of comedy is exaggeration, illaya? In fact, sometimes it is the whole point.இப்போ இப்படி பேசுவீங்க. அப்புறம் "subtle, slice-of-life comedy" அது இதுன்னு சொல்லி "சதி லீலாவதி is better than மை.ம.கா.ரா." 'ம்பீங்க. உங்களை நம்ப முடியாது.

ajithfederer
29th January 2010, 12:51 PM
Body of Lies - Not Bad.

kid-glove
29th January 2010, 01:11 PM
"Voyage in Time"

Understanding Tarkovsky within paradigm of films and his filmmaking process. Made in a self-referential style, reflective of its specimen. :D

"Andrei Tarkovsky & Sergei Parajanov - Islands"

Understanding Tarkovsky (And Parajanov) within the paradigm of Russian filmmaking at the time.

equanimus
29th January 2010, 05:50 PM
Red by Kieslowski
:-|All is not lost yet. Blue 'வையும் பார்த்துடுங்க. Red is the most acclaimed in the trilogy though. Incidentally, I've not seen it since the first time I saw the trilogy and don't remember it all too well. I think I need to revisit it.

kid-glove
29th January 2010, 05:53 PM
"His Girl Friday"

http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=4211&start=825

Highly recommended (which I don't normally like to make, but in this case, a classic, and would pass our Hub standards, I hope :lol2: )

AravindMano
29th January 2010, 06:17 PM
Got it finally! The review of Red i was talking about. (http://www.thefilmjournal.com/issue7/red.html)

kid-glove
29th January 2010, 06:21 PM
Got it finally! The review of Red i was talking about. (http://www.thefilmjournal.com/issue7/red.html)

Thanks mate !

P_R
29th January 2010, 07:29 PM
Red by Kieslowski
:-|All is not lost yet.

Well I wouldn't say I hated it.
For instance, I can understand why someone can like this film.

Blue 'வையும் பார்த்துடுங்க.
Nesstu resstu - stage.Konjam gap viduvOm

I think I need to revisit it.
Revisittittu postungo, particularly in the context of கலைப்படைப்பில் நம்பகத்தன்மை (http://www.jeyamohan.in/?p=3214)

complicateur
29th January 2010, 10:54 PM
in the context of கலைப்படைப்பில் நம்பகத்தன்மை (http://www.jeyamohan.in/?p=3214)
nInga avara vidarathA illai :lol2:

Vivasaayi
30th January 2010, 04:07 PM
Session 9

OK

ajithfederer
31st January 2010, 10:56 AM
Watched His Girl Friday on Kg and salaam chennai's rekemendesan. Enjoyed it. The lead heroine possessed great attitude and Cary Grant was :rotfl:. Boy they speak English FAST those times. The opening scenes in Cary Grant's office was funny. It's always a pleasant experience to watch Classical Hollywood Cinema.

kid-glove
31st January 2010, 02:39 PM
Tarantino's films always have this as "fast speaking" template. He even referred it in script of "Pulp fiction". Scorsese showed it to cast of "Aviator" to get that style of dialogue delivery. Cate Blanchett, I thought, got that "code" of 30's and 40's well in "Aviator". :thumbsup:

kid-glove
2nd February 2010, 12:10 AM
Sherlock Holmes - Liked it. RDJr :clap: I noticed that part of the trailer, kinky attired Irene Adler looking down on fainting Holmes and kicking his crotch,etc - is missing from the film. :?

Up in the air - Likable than the director's previous film, Juno and better too. But a bit overhyped. Clooney is alright and so are other actors.

ajithfederer
2nd February 2010, 12:12 AM
Good

Sherlock Holmes - Liked it. RDJr :clap: I noticed that part of the trailer, kinky attired Irene Adler looking down on fainting Holmes and kicking his crotch,etc - is missing from the film. :?

Overhyped aa?. Yaarumae indha padathai pathi avvalava pesalinga in general and especially here.

Up in the air - Likable than the director's previous film, Juno and better too. But a bit overhyped. Clooney is alright and so are other actors.

kid-glove
2nd February 2010, 12:13 AM
It has been nominated for every other award :confused2:

ajithfederer
2nd February 2010, 12:14 AM
:oops: saree.

Another Mediocre year perhaps in HW.

It has been nominated for every other award :confused2:

kid-glove
2nd February 2010, 12:21 AM
Not sure. Quite a few films to be watched.

So far, the best films have been: (in order of personal enjoyment)
White Ribbon
Inglorious basterds
Synecdoche NY
District 9
sherlock Holmes
The Damned United

Comedy/feel-good films:
Up
(500) days of summer
Up in the air
Hangover
Whatever works
Funny people

kid-glove
2nd February 2010, 12:24 AM
What's yours? Should we start a thread for this year?

ajithfederer
2nd February 2010, 12:43 AM
So far whatever I liked this year.

The Hangover
Inglorious basterds
Up in the air

Watched a host of other films this year but nothing stands in mind right now.

I haven't seen all the below. :oops:. But will definitely make a point to watch the bolded ones below.

White Ribbon
Synecdoche NY
District 9
sherlock Holmes
The Damned United

Comedy/feel-good films:
Up
(500) days of summer
Whatever works
Funny people

I actually quipped a post on the films i liked in this decade here (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2021829#2021829). Your thoughts please.

ajithfederer
2nd February 2010, 12:47 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Education

kg: Did you hear of this film?.

kid-glove
2nd February 2010, 12:52 AM
Yeah, not watched it yet.

ajithfederer
2nd February 2010, 12:13 PM
Finally I got across Mystic River Dvd and watched it. Wonderfully acted, well shot and well directed. Laurence Fishburne was very good as a seargent. Clint Eastwood :thumbsup:

ajithfederer
4th February 2010, 12:12 AM
National Treasure: Book of Secrets - Damaal dumeel dhaan but paravaala.

viraajan
4th February 2010, 09:39 PM
12 Angry Men :clap: :clap:

Shashawnk Redemption :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

enna naansens idhu.
12 Angry Men :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Shawshank Redemption :clap: :clap:

ha ha....

I liked both equally... :D romba romba rasichu pARthen!

12 AM was a treat right from first scene.... while, SSR made me sit up towards the climax....

ajithfederer
4th February 2010, 09:47 PM
Black hawk down - Excellently shot :thumbsup:

Vivasaayi
5th February 2010, 10:06 PM
A Bittersweet Life

Cinematography,Music and Acting are Topnotch.Especially Cinematography is just awesome and when it joins seamlessly with music :clap:

One of the most stylish movies :thumbsup:

Hero sema stylish..right from the opening scene.

P_R
6th February 2010, 10:21 AM
Alice

I know why there is a paucity of writing talent everywhere, one man hogged too much.

Lovely movie in the Woody's prathyEga genre.

Woody Allen writes people so damn well.

:bow:

P_R
6th February 2010, 03:44 PM
I see death by culture shock - Whatever Works
:rotfl3:

VENKIRAJA
6th February 2010, 08:09 PM
I know why there is a paucity of writing talent everywhere, one man hogged too much.
:bow:

AravindMano
6th February 2010, 08:24 PM
Ikiru. Lovely film. Actually i didn't get a hold of the film thru the first half but the way the second half unfolds describing the protagonist in others' POV is a brilliant idea methinks, as in the first half the protagonist is after all a "mummy" for others. Was very much moved in many sequences.

And the scene where the group of women from the site come to pay homage to the Section Chief is a complete stunner for the impact it creates.