PDA

View Full Version : The best phase of Kamalhassan

Plum
2nd September 2009, 01:50 PM
Well, there is already a golden jubilee thread, and so many discussions going on. I thought it relevant to open a thread where I'd like to understand different perspectives from people. This is a carry-over from Baradwaj Rangan's space, where an interesting discussion went on with that 'cool 80's' thing. I have been intrigued, too, why Rangan would highlight that aspect as part of his jubilee article.
So, here's a question, and a poll, which ensures a few pages of participation atleast :-)

So, which do you think has been the best phase/aspect of Kamal.
1) Child Artiste - Kannamma to kANikkai
2) Young tyro - aimless entry phase from pattampoochi to pre-KB bit roles
3) Young genius - KB 70's movies, 16V, and the phenomenal phase where he established himself as an actor of substance - say, up to Saagara Sangamam
4) Masala man - this phase, which I abhor the most, overalps partly with (3), the Sagala Kala vallavan to Per sollum piLLai(my friend from BR's blogspace calls it saakkada kala vallavan to per kedutha pillai!) - I suspect Bala will have a lot to say on the merits of this phase
5) The colossus, the legend - post Apoorva SagodharargaL - the writer-director-ghostdirector phase
6) The balancer - the low-budget comedy, and the light movies post 90's

Vivasaayi
2nd September 2009, 01:51 PM
Plum I would put it as late 80's and early nineties

from nayagan to avvai shanmugi.

Or early nineties only - Guna,Michael madhana kama rajan,thevar magan,mahanadhi,sathi leelavathi,indian,avvai shanmugi,kurudhipunal,magalir mattum(as a producer),singaravelan...

crajkumar_be
2nd September 2009, 01:56 PM
First of all, Pudhu thread podalaama?ok-va?

Anyway, i voted for (5) Colossus, post-Aboorva (inclusive)

crajkumar_be
2nd September 2009, 01:58 PM
4) Masala man - this phase, which I abhor the most, overalps partly with (3), the Sagala Kala vallavan to Per sollum piLLai(my friend from BR's blogspace calls it saakkada kala vallavan to per kedutha pillai!) - I suspect Bala will have a lot to say on the merits of this phase

:lol:

Ennanga, mutual fund range la solreenga :)
By the by, post 90s was not all comedies and light movies illaya?

Plum
2nd September 2009, 01:58 PM
Vivs, Nayagan to Avvai Shanmughi-nu paarthA, per sollum piLLai ellAm nadula varum. Thats why I divided it the way I divided it.
There seems to be an evolution-devolution pattern, and the goal is to explore what made him make those choices. Why go from acknowledged super actor of 70's to masala superstar of 80's? What made him finally do Apoorva SagodharargaL and turn over a new phase where he was in control of distributing his talent effectively?

I'd wnat to know more from people like CR on how mandram activities were like in the 80's, the fanzine articles, what was the impact of fan clubs in choices like Uyarndha ULLam, was he confused then what path to take etc?

Plum
2nd September 2009, 02:02 PM

:lol:

Ennanga, mutual fund range la solreenga :)
By the by, post 90s was not all comedies and light movies illaya?

Adhaan bala, 90's a rendA pirichu, option 5 & 6-nu koduthirukkAen. I suspect a few youngsters(like sarna) will opt for 6 :-)

Plum
2nd September 2009, 02:04 PM
First of all, Pudhu thread podalaama?ok-va?

Anyway, i voted for (5) Colossus, post-Aboorva (inclusive)
Me also, and I think we can get Prabhu Ram to campaign for this option, too :-)

There should probably be another for the worst phase, and I will choose the masala man phase. Lost a few years worth of writing there.

Cinefan
2nd September 2009, 02:09 PM
Plum,
My choice would be the mid 80's onwards phase when Sagara.....,Swathi....,Nayakan,Pushpak,AS,MMKR,Gun a,TM,Mahanadhi followed on after another.

2000 onwards has been a bit of concern with just a Hey Ram,Anbe Shivam and Virumaandi to talk about.

Plum
2nd September 2009, 02:16 PM
cinefan, I differentiate nayagan and KV movies from Mahanadhi, AS etc - because in the former, phenomenal as his input is, he is an actor for hire, and they are primarily someone else's movies. AS, MMKR, Gunaa, Mahanadhi, Hey Ram, Virumandi, Anbe Shivam, Devar Magan are all his writer-director phase. Full control with him.

Hence, I am asking you to choose between the 2 - the Kamal of Nayagan and KV movies versus the post-AS Kamal of Kamal movies :-)

P_R
2nd September 2009, 02:20 PM
Some issues with poll choices...ippo pEsa nEram illai...Anyway voted for 5....Colossus

groucho070
2nd September 2009, 02:24 PM
While his work as the writer for his film got him some of the best moments in his career as an actor...I must add that without that Masala period I would never have been a fan in the first place.

TTT started the ball rolling and we were obsessed, my brothers and I. We even lapped up Hare Rama Hare Krishna, Kathal Parisu and even the dubbed Vratham (Daisy?). Forget lapping, we even gobbled up Per Sollum Pillai (Plum :evil: )

Kakichattai and Vikram was heaven sent for us. So, I gotta be honest and appreciate that era. Sure, he was unstoppable after Nayagan, but those era created many fans.

Shakthiprabha
2nd September 2009, 02:26 PM
I supp kamalhassan was best during his 70z (early and mid and late 70z) when his acting talent was show-cased well.

I would also like to vote for kamalhassan the writer director legend.

Since I cant vote twice, I hold back my vote.

Plum
2nd September 2009, 02:30 PM
grouch, idhai thaan naan edhirparthaen. Write more on how/why you appreciated that phase. That phase left me untouched - and remember here my acknowledged past as a Rajni-masala-of-80's fan - and I want to really dig what made him tick those days, because tick he most certainly did in that phase.

Padikkadhavan, Thambikku Endha Ooru etc- in that phase as a masala man, to me, Rajni beat Kamal. Manidhan, MaappiLLai and Apoorva SagodharargaL couldnt have happened at a more opportune time in my life - they were the triggers that moved me away from Rajni and towards Kamal

Plum
2nd September 2009, 02:31 PM
Some issues with poll choices...ippo pEsa nEram illai...Anyway voted for 5....Colossus

adhellAM pEsi thIrthukkalAm, idhukkAga campaign boycott panniradhInga!

Plum
2nd September 2009, 02:33 PM
I supp kamalhassan was best during his 70z (early and mid and late 70z) when his acting talent was show-cased well.

nInga ipdi solvIngannu expect paNNi dhAn, 70's option pOttEn. Writer director legendku neraiya pEru vote pOduvanga, nInga 70's-kE pOttudunga!

groucho070
2nd September 2009, 02:38 PM
Plum, marupadiyum campaign-a? Yerkanave pala campaign panni, deposit tolaichu, talaiyila mundu poottuthaan ingga Hub-la alayireen, neengga veera....

Anyway, correction in that post, its Hare Radha Hare Krishna.

I must say that I am opposite of you, Plum. It was late 80s when I started liking Rajini. So, During that massive masala phase, Rajini totally didn't interest me. His fighting felt odd, as opposed to Jackie Chan-esque grace Kamal had. Rajini's dancing was atrocious (appo, ippo rasikalaam) while Kamal had it pat, what do you want? Classic? Kucchupudi? folk? Disco? He has it, and he can do that in one film...oh fudge it, he can do it in one song!!! :twisted: I still get goosebumps watching Singgari Sarakku or Varuthu Varuthu. There were cheese in those fat masalaic features, but they sure were delicious.

Roshan
2nd September 2009, 02:39 PM
Poll listing looks a bit kuzhaRupadi - so unable to decide.

In terms of his career - I always have this feeling of Pre Naayagan and Post Naayagan.

Shakthiprabha
2nd September 2009, 02:44 PM

nInga ipdi solvIngannu expect paNNi dhAn, 70's option pOttEn. Writer director legendku neraiya pEru vote pOduvanga, nInga 70's-kE pOttudunga!

aana enakku writer and director pudikkumE :(
I feel his writer-director ability is very creative, unique, poetic :( I wont be doing justice if I dont vote for it. I wont be doing justice if I vote too. (cause I simply love the way he bloomed as an actor)

Sarna
2nd September 2009, 02:46 PM
I still get goosebumps watching Singgari Sarakku or Varuthu Varuthu. There were cheese in those fat masalaic features, but they sure were delicious.

neenga namma jaadhi 8-)

Plum, btw wr can I get Kamal's full filmography based an release date ? adha poruththu I can decide which phase I like more :)

kid-glove
2nd September 2009, 02:48 PM

In terms of his career - I always have this feeling of Pre Naayagan and Post Naayagan.

:thumbsup:

The poll options "seem"to overlap, but I guess Plum wants to be very specific.

Plum
2nd September 2009, 02:50 PM
I still get goosebumps watching Singgari Sarakku or Varuthu Varuthu. There were cheese in those fat masalaic features, but they sure were delicious.

neenga namma jaadhi 8-)

Plum, btw wr can I get Kamal's full filmography based an release date ? adha poruththu I can decide which phase I like more :)

AdhellAm, Anban, CR pOndra mandra perumaKkaL dhaan link tharaNum

Plum
2nd September 2009, 02:51 PM
Plum, marupadiyum campaign-a? Yerkanave pala campaign panni, deposit tolaichu, talaiyila mundu poottuthaan ingga Hub-la alayireen, neengga veera....

Anyway, correction in that post, its Hare Radha Hare Krishna.

I must say that I am opposite of you, Plum. It was late 80s when I started liking Rajini. So, During that massive masala phase, Rajini totally didn't interest me. His fighting felt odd, as opposed to Jackie Chan-esque grace Kamal had. Rajini's dancing was atrocious (appo, ippo rasikalaam) while Kamal had it pat, what do you want? Classic? Kucchupudi? folk? Disco? He has it, and he can do that in one film...oh fudge it, he can do it in one song!!! :twisted: I still get goosebumps watching Singgari Sarakku or Varuthu Varuthu. There were cheese in those fat masalaic features, but they sure were delicious.

Fair enough, enakkum dance-kkum 8000 miles dissans. I just cant appreciate dance - and this gives me a clue what people primarily digged then, and I couldnt. Good, purpose of thread is being served. mElum sollunga - hmm..apram...

kid-glove
2nd September 2009, 03:02 PM
my friend from BR's blogspace

Really? :wink:

Plum
2nd September 2009, 03:05 PM

:thumbsup:

The poll options "seem"to overlap, but I guess Plum wants to be very specific.

Yes, kid-glove, you caught it pretty well. I guess I didnt articulate well enough. For example, it is easy to say post-Apoorva, but that includes a tenali as much as a hey ram. So, here's my logic
1. Child artiste - pretty much a bright young lovable kid doing what he wants, and the best thing about this phase is he is not trying to impress like the abominal shalinis and shamilis. One must congratulate the directors also for this.
2. Entry in 70's - basically dance assistant dabbling in glamour boy roles, and pretty much taking what comes to him
3. Phase 2 overlaps with his evolution into a super-actor of the 70's culminating in 16 V. So, chronologically it is tough to separate, but we can track the persona that continued to dabble in intelligent projects in 70's even while being involved in pattampoochis. So, Option 3 is essentially this persona of Kamal in the 70's.
4. From there, the kalyanaramans followed, and there were two things he was doing in late70's-late 80's. Option 3 covers the actor par excellence dabbling in the 16Vs, Saagara Sangamams, Nayagans, Pushpaks. Option 4 covers the kalyanaramans, SKVs up to per sollum piLLai.
5. Post Apporva sagodharargaL - there are 2 kamals clearly, and they make up 5 & 6.

I suspect Prabhu Ram's purported problems with the options will be with division of 5 & 6.

We can work this around, people. Pour your thoughts

Vivasaayi
2nd September 2009, 03:10 PM
plum,

in option 5 - U must add acting too!...

kid-glove
2nd September 2009, 03:11 PM
Is Raja Paarvai covered by option 5, or you don't rate that film? People bring up "Sparsh" (or sometimes "Graduate") to diminish that film, but it's a film I have weakness for.

The best phase is 5. Sometimes 5 doesn't allow one to survive financially. 6 might be fillers in between, but it is vital, and a consequence of 5.

groucho070
2nd September 2009, 03:11 PM
I agree with Brangan's article a lot. I think that itself serves as a biggest campaign material for Kamal the masala man.

Okay, I am not saying that is the only phase I like, it's just that that was the phase that put seed into us kids to always talk, think, share info about it.

70s born kids would be able to relate more to what I am going to say. With Kamal, in addition to great acting (they told us he won National Award few years earlier), he also brings the "whoa!" factor to those masala.

In all his masala films (Manggamaa Sabatham utpada) he'd bring with him:
Good comedy.
Great dance, cool moves.
Up to date costume (the others were few years back in fashion always).
Some great American Speech Language top!

And most importantly, the wildly imaginative action sequences. His is the best...till today!The way he uses prop, rolling atop tables, barrels, using tea stall bench, four sided spanner, anything! Of course, we know later that he was indeed influenced by Jackie Chan, but we saw more Kamal than Chan!

Of course, he brings along IR's great tune and background score. We would have already purchased (naangga illa, but dad a close fan) the cassette to the upcoming film and ready to lap it up when it appears on screen. Vikram's cassette was the biggest talk at that time. "Ennamoo kampiuttarla music pootaaram!" He was always bringing something latest. Like Brangan said, he was cool man. Really cool.

Oh, I never really liked the "kissing" bit and the fact that he has it in his contract somewhere that he has to appear in at least one "underwear" scene.

Plum
2nd September 2009, 03:17 PM
Is Raja Paarvai covered by option 5, or you don't rate that film? People bring up "Sparsh" (or sometimes "Graduate") to diminish that film, but it's a film I have weakness for.

The best phase is 5. Sometimes 5 doesn't allow one to survive financially. 6 might be fillers in between, but it is vital, and a consequence of 5.

I have to include that in 5, k-g. My divisions are about the dominant characteristic in that chronological phase so exceptions will be there, like a Vasoolraja and VV in phase 6.

I am not at all questioning the necessity of each phase, including the masala phase. Just want the perspectives. I am enjoying groucho's posts - and also learning what distances me from the masala phase.

Plum
2nd September 2009, 03:27 PM
plum,

Cant edit the poll options anymore, but obviously, acting is included in that option vivs.

kid-glove
2nd September 2009, 03:32 PM
Yeah, partly due to aversion to JC-style action, and Dances, you say.

To appeal as a "masala star", he had to pass through as a 'mannin maindhan'. lack of Dravidian 'look' at odds? Is that a factor? I don't know. I never felt that way, but some people tell me that.

Is it also because of demeanor, and idiosyncrasy. This again is judgmental IMO.

Vivasaayi
2nd September 2009, 03:32 PM
plum,

Cant edit the poll options anymore, but obviously, acting is included in that option vivs.

fine..voted!

P_R
2nd September 2009, 05:04 PM
Early to late 80s he was impressive. Thoroughly entertaining.

kAkki sattai is eminently watchable. Just before ingAri sarakku, he enters Y.Vijaya's 'bar' and doesn't know how much drink to order: "oru litre kudu"

SingAri sarakku and nAdha vinOdhangaL were in the same year. Nothing defines his career better than that.

SingAri is thoroughly enjoyable but Nadha VinodhangaL was watched because it was Kamal. i.e. he led us to watch it. Well atleast me. I am not into classical dance . But he did make Salangai Oli and the pieces in NN, Ek Duje...exciting to watch. That is, to me, what Kamal is all about.

To quote his own words
அன்னிக்கே சொன்னாங்கொ பெரியவங்க ஆழமா சொன்னாங்கோ
அத்தையே அண்ணாத்தே தண்ணி ஊத்தி லைட்டா சொன்னாரு

That's what he did when he settled down on the writing table. Our appreciation of films in general was raised by what he did when he settled down to write.

I don't think I can say that about any - that's right any - other writer in TFI.

app_engine
2nd September 2009, 05:59 PM
Voted for the "young genius" phase (16 vayadhinilE , sigappu rOjAkkaL, moondRAm piRai etc). He was thoroughly enjoyable with far less irritations :-)

Ofcourse he was good in nAyakan, Aboorva, MMKR etc but some amount of "artificiality" is felt here and there...

Cinefan
2nd September 2009, 06:00 PM
Plum,
I voted for option 5 but the overlapping is confusing.I know it's already been answered by you but couldn't help not mentioning my confusion.

I feel it's the mid 80's onwards that he has been very very impressive an an artiste-actor/writer/director.

Also as an 70's born guy,it was Moondram Pirai which sucked me into being his fan.So I am more prone to like him in movies with that kind of a sensibility then an SKV or a Kakki chattai.

crajkumar_be
2nd September 2009, 11:12 PM
Plum,
About the 80s, mandrams etc engaludaya gurumaargal would be the best to answer but in any case (I'm Moondram Pirai generation, still a very young), he had a huge fan-following back then in TN (arguably the biggest). I don't think one can attribute the choice of his movies to fan club pressure as such (Kurudhippunal/Drohi appo direct pressure nu sonnaanga). He has always made sure that his fans/followers know their place - he is distinct when it comes to this.
Nagaraj nu Iyakka front man irundhaaru, considered to be a very able guy. Romba straight forward kooda pola irukku. Oru thadava Thalaivar office la poi edho konjam direct a "suggest" pannirukkaaru (exact a enna sonnaaru nu marandhutten, enna suggestion/grievance nu), Thalaivar wouldn't take that kind of stuff and konjam unpleasant a poiruchu and Nagaraj quit. (Appo dhaan Gunaseelan enum saniyan entry).
Innoru instance la Madhiya Sennai la romba strong kuruppu irundhuchu, and due to an issue, Gunaseelan a adikka poittaanga. Thalaivar stopped them, asking them to maintain the status quo in spite of them voicing their concerns about Guna. Andha group la main guys joined Vikram's group! (ippovum namma fans, but still...)
I mean the reason i'm mentioning these is because Thalaivan podhuva evan solradhayum kekka maattaan. Yes, he compromises but thats unavoidable, isn't it?
I get reminded of (a) Mahanadhi the way he handles/treats his oor kaarargal when they come to his defence against Haneefa (b)Thevar Magan, where he protects the wanted family. Adhavadhu, he is practical enough to understand that he needs elements of mass (to an extent, the masala segment must have been conscious right?), fans etc but hegenerally knows to clearly draw the line. "Evanayum 'madhikka' maattaaru" (not in a derogatory sense) and strange and frustrating as it may seem at times, its something :notworthy:

One can say that he was always against or reluctant about doing "mass"films but then how would you explain the passion behind 'Vikram' or 10A?
Thats a spectacular example of getting the best of both worlds.

Plum
2nd September 2009, 11:33 PM
CR, very nice post. Idhai ellAm veLila kondAra thaan indha thread-E. My objectives are getting satisfied thoroughly.

I think that mahanadhi referecene is very apt - he sure picks his scenes from real life - and i can imagine how what you related might have worked in his mind.

[qupte]Adhavadhu, he is practical enough to understand that he needs elements of mass (to an extent, the masala segment must have been conscious right?), fans etc but hegenerally knows to clearly draw the line. "Evanayum 'madhikka' maattaaru" (not in a derogatory sense) and strange and frustrating as it may seem at times, its something
[/quote]
Definitely agree. But a pEr sollum piLLai, uyarndha uLLAm - idhai ellAm epdi explain pandradhunnu theriyala - incidentally, both are AVM so maybe the home company feeling-la paNNi irukkalAm.
(grouch, epdi paarthaalum, per kedutha piLLai is a theeradha vadu for me)

P_R
2nd September 2009, 11:36 PM
It is not such a bad film. I mean for..it was a film with meagre aspirations and managed to do what it set out to.

OTOH Sankarlal is terrible. Poorly made. And apparently Kamal directed parts of it

Old man Dharmalingam leaves and returns several years later as veLlaikaarar R.D.L.Gum.

And nto trusting the audience a sidekick explains to villain Major: "kaanaama pOna dharmalingam dhaan R.D.L.Gum appidinnu adhE pErai maathi vachikittu vandhirukkaan"
Major: 'taken aback' reaction

Plum
2nd September 2009, 11:39 PM
Early to late 80s he was impressive. Thoroughly entertaining.

kAkki sattai is eminently watchable. Just before ingAri sarakku, he enters Y.Vijaya's 'bar' and doesn't know how much drink to order: "oru litre kudu"

SingAri sarakku and nAdha vinOdhangaL were in the same year. Nothing defines his career better than that.

SingAri is thoroughly enjoyable but Nadha VinodhangaL was watched because it was Kamal. i.e. he led us to watch it. Well atleast me. I am not into classical dance . But he did make Salangai Oli and the pieces in NN, Ek Duje...exciting to watch. That is, to me, what Kamal is all about.

To quote his own words
அன்னிக்கே சொன்னாங்கொ பெரியவங்க ஆழமா சொன்னாங்கோ
அத்தையே அண்ணாத்தே தண்ணி ஊத்தி லைட்டா சொன்னாரு

That's what he did when he settled down on the writing table. Our appreciation of films in general was raised by what he did when he settled down to write.

I don't think I can say that about any - that's right any - other writer in TFI.

Right, no issues. I realise that in some way, the masala kamal had a munificient hand in his all other ventures but somehow, I am still not able to appreciate those inspite of that knowledge.

On the writing part, well, I dont even need to explicitly agree to that. Implied.

That still leaves the question on "what motivated him to do really uninspiring movies like PSP and UY" hanging? What, really? Just the money? If so, why such dud masala movies? Just a mistake in judgement or a misplaced sense of loyalty to AVM(or any other similar indebted-to party)?

Plum
2nd September 2009, 11:41 PM
PR, I'll put it this way. Padikkadhavan vs Per Sollum PiLLai - which will you choose?
(masala with strong dose of sentiment hence the comparison)

app_engine
2nd September 2009, 11:49 PM
It is not such a bad film. I mean for..it was a film with meagre aspirations and managed to do what it set out to.

OTOH Sankarlal is terrible. Poorly made. And apparently Kamal directed parts of it

terrrrrible'kku ejjamples : kAdhal parisu, gerAftAr :-(

P_R
2nd September 2009, 11:51 PM
PR, I'll put it this way. Padikkadhavan vs Per Sollum PiLLai - which will you choose?
(masala with strong dose of sentiment hence the comparison)
PadikkAdhavan any day. But why this comparison at all ?

I remember an old KaNaiyAzhi interview (Sujatha in his kadaisi pakkam) writes about meeting a 24 year old Kamal who could talk about anything under the sun.

They are talking in a filmshoot break. When Sujatha talks about how Malayalam films are greater, Kamal disagrees saying 'not any more' Points to his jigina costume and says he is shooting for a malayalam film :-) Co-starring with an elephant (Ramlakshman) after doing Chappani is atrocious indeed. I guess, he did films to keep the ball rolling, if it appealed to the Lowest Common Denominator so be it. That nonchalance is stunning actually.

P_R
2nd September 2009, 11:52 PM
terrrrrible'kku ejjamples : kAdhal parisu, gerAftAr :-(
btw who is the 'comedian' in kAdhal parisu.
Annoyingly unfunny. :x

crajkumar_be
2nd September 2009, 11:54 PM
"a mistake in judgement or a misplaced sense of loyalty to AVM(or any other similar indebted-to party)?"
- I'd like to think this is it. "En kuzhandhai arogiyamana kuzhandhai", 500Rs Note cutouts etc for MX, the "cool"ness in some of his forgettable works - oru vidha parupputhanam, perhaps

Well, enakku therinju its loyalty/favor in the case of Maharasan (producer ponnukku kalyanam panna kooda kaasu illainu kelvi patten), VR MBBS

app_engine
2nd September 2009, 11:54 PM
I guess, he did films to keep the ball rolling

அதாகப்பட்டது, இந்த ராசா மீசிக் போட்டுக்கிட்டு இருந்த மாதிரிங்கறீங்க ?

Plum
2nd September 2009, 11:56 PM
PR, adhavadhu I am talking about net effect. I am asking because as a child, I chose Padikkadhavan. Looking back, I am unable to say that I would change that now. In that sense, retrospectively, I am disappointed with the 80's Kamal. You know what I mean?- I am disappointed that 80's Kamal loses out to 80's Rajni even if I filter the view to suit my current kamal fandom.

P_R
3rd September 2009, 12:08 AM
Padikkaadhavan was Rajini's stock delivery. PSP was Kamal's slower one. And he admittedly bowled too many of them, but it still didn't become his stock ball. When he started writing - will count from MMKR here - he was sitting pretty but doing justice to his talent.

Thinking about it, I don't think the Rajini comparison is valid at all. I mean, bagyaraj can do some movies that work because it is Bagyaraj. Wouldn't work if Kamal did it.

We are just trying to reason out fanboy attraction while we know deep down that liking happened before reasoning :-)

Plum
3rd September 2009, 12:39 AM
Oh, I'm admitting that liking happened before reasoning - what i am saying is I am still unable to come to terms with it. The thing is why did Kamal do a "bhagyaraj movie"( he didnt, but you know what I mean). Is it that he didnt realise that he needn't do those - even as fillers - and eventually realised and moved on as a writer?

But groucho says, there was a certain formula there which appealed to him - so maybe Kamal knew what he was doing, and which audience he was targetting?
To me, his mind during the 80's would be a fascinating study of an artist's thoughts. Was he manipulating the audience? Was he consciously segregating the audience, and making movies to please each alternately?

P_R
3rd September 2009, 12:45 AM
Is it that he didnt realise that he needn't do those - even as fillers - and eventually realised and moved on as a writer?

He needed to do those.Take the money and run, as they say. btw who was going to write him good movies ?

naaLai sandhippOm :wave: :fatigue:

groucho070
3rd September 2009, 06:48 AM
Yaarappa athu masala man-ukku second vote pottathu? :D

Raikkonen
3rd September 2009, 07:20 AM
Yaarappa athu masala man-ukku second vote pottathu? :D

i yam than.. :lol:

personally i loved ttt, kakkichattai etc.. no rocket science, just simple yet very very entertaining.

groucho070
3rd September 2009, 07:28 AM
:thumbsup: Raiks. Losing katchi, but what the heck. Besides, I'm used to it.

comments
3rd September 2009, 10:09 AM
Great topic ...

Though I appreciate his hard-working and dedication in the last twenty years or so, my vote goes to mid70s-mid80s Kamal. His acting was so effortless and the variety of roles he had done, especially at that age, is mind-boggling. People may scoff at the masala movies but they were fine for that period. As a little kid I thoroughly enjoyed the Kalyanaramans and Ram Lakshmans. Something like Chappani - can any of the current actors do that?

Another thing I like about the Kamal from that period is his romancing of the heroines and the chemistry he had with them. While other actors may come close to him in other aspects of acting, this is one aspect where I can't think of anyone who even comes close. This can be a separate topic - who had the best and worst chemistry with him (His chemistry (or lack of it) with Jyothika should be the worst, I think).

Maybe I am just nostalgic. We tend to think better of things that happened in our childhood. But when I happen to see the movies or songs from that period, I wonder why Kamal is hiding behind all the makeup.

In the last 10 years or so, though I appreciate his efforts and his writing, I find his acting to be a bit laborious or maybe too methodical. The natural ease / flair is missing. Nothing wrong with it as such but just hard to connect. (sorry)

In terms of his career, a lot seems to have happened in the mid 80s. That's when he had his tryst with Hindi movies too. What really happened there? Can someone throw some light on it? Looks like he did a bunch of movies and then suddenly stopped. Even if his movies didn't click at the box-office, I would have expected a movie or two till the late 80s. But it looks like it just stopped abruptly. Anyone knows the real story behind it?

kid-glove
3rd September 2009, 10:50 AM
There are Rumours of Amitap and goons threatening KH because of his rise in the industry. :lol:

KH says that he didn't want to work in an industry controlled by underworld. Then.

hattori_hanzo
7th September 2009, 11:29 PM
While his work as the writer for his film got him some of the best moments in his career as an actor...I must add that without that Masala period I would never have been a fan in the first place.
TTT started the ball rolling and we were obsessed, my brothers and I. We even lapped up Hare Rama Hare Krishna, Kathal Parisu and even the dubbed Vratham (Daisy?). Forget lapping, we even gobbled up Per Sollum Pillai (Plum :evil: )

Kakichattai and Vikram was heaven sent for us. So, I gotta be honest and appreciate that era. Sure, he was unstoppable after Nayagan, but those era created many fans.

adhey adhey... voted for Masala Man. I dont think I would have become a fan of Kamal if he had'nt done Khaki Chattai, TTT kind of movies in early 80's.

groucho070
11th September 2009, 09:25 AM
Good thread, so re-upped. :D

NOV
11th September 2009, 09:35 AM
adhey adhey... voted for Masala Man. I dont think I would have become a fan of Kamal if he had'nt done Khaki Chattai, TTT kind of movies in early 80's.on the other end of the spectrum, I wouldnt have become his fan if he had not stopped doing films like KC and TTT :evil:

nithishri
22nd September 2009, 10:06 PM
I do not if this is the right place to ask this question

I happened to watch Kamalum Kadhalum , special show conducted by Vijay TV to honour Kamal's sir 50 yrs in cine industry and apparently SPB Sir and Chitra ma were the highlights of the show accompanied with few other young singers.

SPB Sir sang some English lines for a supposedly Bengali movie i guess , savitha and Kamal Sir were the lead people in the movie and I could see some glimpse of the song which they featured while SPB Sir and madhusree sang the song
The song was very catchy .. in case somehow understands about the song I am talking about , could you pls give me the mp3 format or video to listen to the song again

Thanks in advance
PS : I am relle sorry , if the content I posted is not relevant

Plum
23rd September 2009, 09:54 PM
PS : I am relle sorry , if the content I posted is not relevant

parava illa, as this thread owner, I have to say digression is one of my principles. jamaainga. But enakku unga questionku answer theriyalai.