PDA

View Full Version : Best Album

NOV
13th September 2009, 08:34 PM
AR Rahman is one of the very few MDs whose hits song ratio is very high. (hits to number of releases).

[html:5abcc8a6ad]
http://www.blogcdn.com/bollywoodblog.aol.in/media/2007/07/arr_3007_225x225.jpg
[/html:5abcc8a6ad]

This thread is going to make the fans exasperated. :lol2: Yeah, lets choose the best album of ARR since 1992.

And yes, we will limit it to Tamil songs. 8-)

NOV
13th September 2009, 08:36 PM
Even I have a tough time deciding on whether it is Boys, Iruvar, Kadhal Desam, Kannathil Muthamittal or Thiruda Thiruda...

:think:

ajaybaskar
13th September 2009, 08:38 PM
I rate Kangalaal Kaidhu Sei as Rahman's best in tamil. But sadly, it has not been included for the poll..

NOV
13th September 2009, 08:41 PM
I rate Kangalaal Kaidhu Sei as Rahman's best in tamil. But sadly, it has not been included for the poll..Elaborate ajay... we can always replace one of the weaker ones.

As it is, I had a very difficult time narrowing it to 10. :(

ajaybaskar
13th September 2009, 08:47 PM
NOV Anna, all those films that you have selected are best of its kind. I know it is very difficult to narrow them to 10.

NOV
13th September 2009, 08:53 PM
I think I am going to vote for Thiruda Thiruda for the sheer variety. :bow:
But I feel so guilty for abandoning Iruvar :confused2:

dinesh2002
13th September 2009, 08:58 PM

i will have to skip from voting to this poll. All the albums r my fav.. cant choose 1 only.... :yessir:

Ramakrishna
13th September 2009, 09:17 PM
No Duet :shock:

Ramakrishna
13th September 2009, 09:19 PM
What made you choose Indian :roll:
Minsaara kanavu missing

lancelot
13th September 2009, 09:29 PM

i will have to skip from voting to this poll. All the albums r my fav.. cant choose 1 only.... :yessir:

cruel NOV cruel!!! :P how can you ask suck a thing of an A R Rahman fan? :( its impossible... but your post has made me go back and listen to THiruda Thiruda again... :) thanx NOV

hehe
:D

jaaze
13th September 2009, 09:32 PM
anand enga :think:

Rocky89
13th September 2009, 10:22 PM

cruel NOV cruel!!! :P how can you ask suck a thing of an A R Rahman fan? :( its impossible... but your post has made me go back and listen to THiruda Thiruda again... :) thanx NOV

hehe

same here :)
btw NOV, replace Indian with duet :?

Benny Lava
13th September 2009, 10:27 PM
Adheppadi NOV unga gurunadhar padam Duet'a vittuteenga.

KB himself once said that ARR hasn't surpassed the wholesomeness of Duet album in any album since then (I think he said it long back).

Things in favor of Duet:
1. Great variety in songs - Classical, semi-classical, folksy, fusion, solo etc.,
2. Superb singing - SPB in most of the songs and others were good as well
3. Excellent lyrics
4. Wide range of moods - Optimistic (metu podu), Romantic (anjali), Pathos (Kai neetum & En Kadhaley), Naughty (Kathirikka), jovial (Kulicha kuthalam)
5. Kadri's virtuosity with Sax
6. AND "The Duet Theme!!"

And I see that "Uyire" is also missing. It is a blasphemy to miss that album from any ARR's list :twisted:

Benny Lava
13th September 2009, 10:37 PM
Thiruda Thiruda will be top notch for its variety in genre and musical ingenuity.

Boys was an album very much ahead of the curve at that time. Even today its songs will sound futuristic.

Alaipayuthey is THE definitive romantic album. All songs of the album are for lovers :P The beauty of Kangalal kaidhu sei cannot be described in words, so I will not attempt to say anything further.

And then we also have May madham. If not for the film, it would have been an automatic choice in anyone's fav list. Adhayum list la sethukonga.

Wibha
13th September 2009, 10:51 PM
What made you choose Indian :roll:
Minsaara kanavu missing

Exactly.

MK is evergreen. Even Mr.Romeo is missing.

And why is Kadhalan NOT in the poll :shock:

ajithfederer
13th September 2009, 10:52 PM
Rythm?????

Rocky89
13th September 2009, 10:55 PM
... and Bombay? :huh:

Kumarappa
13th September 2009, 11:35 PM
Yeah, very true! At least Bombay and Minsaara Kanavu (NA winner!!!) have to be in the list, in every list!

As Dil Se was the original and the one that released first, Uyire shouldn't be in this list.

dinesh2002
14th September 2009, 12:09 AM
the best is not to make this poll :twisted: ARR's talent/magic cant be reduced and choose to only 1 best album in his whole career... its not fair... atleast song was something else, album, i dun think can......

priya32
14th September 2009, 12:14 AM
kaNdukoNdEn kaNdukoNdEn is the THE best!

idhukku mEla edhuvum pEsakkUdaadhu! :twisted:

Nerd
14th September 2009, 02:19 AM
What? Indian?? You gotta be kidding NOV. Replace Indian with Kadhalan ASAP.

I may vote for ThirudA ThirudA. And I feel KandukondEn * 2 is overrated. It does not even compare with AP (both released a week apart IIRC)

NOV
14th September 2009, 06:58 AM
ok, Indian replaced with Duet. KKKK - cant do much as vote is already in.
:ty: to the kind soul who voted for Iruvar. :D

I love a few more albums like Paarthale Paravasam and Azhagiya Thamizh Magan, but what to do.. only 10 is permitted by the system.

AudazJay
14th September 2009, 09:46 AM
Kadhalar Dhinam :roll: It's an average album according to me. I do admit that songs like Roja Roja and Enna Vizhai Azhagae were amazing, but it is by far the most mundane album of ARR's...almost all the songs are akin to his previous compositions.

On the other hand, Bombay was a like a breath of fresh air when it was released. Totally mind-blowing numbers! And the BGM is to die for!

It's my humble request that Kadhalar Dhinam be replaced with the latter in the poll :D

NOV
14th September 2009, 09:59 AM
sure I can Jay.
but then thaandiyaa aattamumaada is out of the world... and THR Hindi power is still using the intro from this film for its intro. :D

Bala (Karthik)
14th September 2009, 10:19 AM
What sacrilegious blasphemy! :x :evil:

Kaadhalar Dhinam a remove panna teakulippu nichayam!

Wibha
14th September 2009, 10:24 AM
I'd rather replace boys with Kadhalan.

Seriously NOV the poll is missing a lot of good albums. I know you can have only 10, but there are some albums that have to be replaced with others.

littlemaster1982
14th September 2009, 11:29 AM
Sorry, I can't vote for anything other than Alaipayuthey :cry: 8-)

Wibha
14th September 2009, 11:32 AM
Sorry, I can't vote for anything other than Alaipayuthey :cry: 8-)

Adhenna AP kum ungalukkum ippadi oru attachment :think:

littlemaster1982
14th September 2009, 11:32 AM
Malarum Ninaivugal :cry2: ;)

Wibha
14th September 2009, 11:33 AM
Malarum Ninaivugal :cry2: ;)

details :D :P

littlemaster1982
14th September 2009, 11:34 AM
:shhh:

raajarasigan
14th September 2009, 12:06 PM
Seriously NOV the poll is missing a lot of good albums. I know you can have only 10, but there are some albums that have to be replaced with others.

True...

I don't find any albums in BR-ARR combianation.. if you consider the whole album, IMO, it is even better that MR-ARR combination..

NOV - I think we should have a qualify round before finalizing the top 10 Albums to be contesting for the BESE ALBUM.. else, we can sort further on the director of the album as most of them worked consistently with ARR...

Saying all this, I will vote ONLY for ROJA as the best album ever from ARR.. IMHO, he cannot better this ever... :thumbsup:

NOV
14th September 2009, 12:21 PM
I'd rather replace boys with Kadhalan. :shock:
I'll send you blazing with bala :hammer:

NOV
14th September 2009, 12:35 PM
NOV - I think we should have a qualify round before finalizing the top 10 Albums to be contesting for the BESE ALBUM..
Tried that with Best song, but couldnt get anywhere...

raajarasigan
14th September 2009, 01:04 PM
NOV - I think we should have a qualify round before finalizing the top 10 Albums to be contesting for the BESE ALBUM..
Tried that with Best song, but couldnt get anywhere...

May be you can set some standards for the BEST ALBUM like variety, BGM apart from the songs.... I selected ROJA just that almost all songs are "evergreen".. it should be one of the important factors to be a 'BEST ALBUM'

k_vanan
14th September 2009, 01:19 PM
ROJA :thumbsup:

why UYIRE excluded :(

NOV
14th September 2009, 01:56 PM
I think Thiruda Thiruda is not being given enough recognition.
Let us just take ONE song from it....

A 90s song which has fascinated me in terms of the deceptively simple elegance of its composition is rAsAththi en usiru ennadhillE from thirudA thirudA sung by Sahul Hameed & Choral Group; music composed by Rahman (Listen here (http://www.raaga.com/channels/tamil/movie/T0000173.html)). Let me briefly outline the structure of that song as I see it:

pallavi
Instruments: None. Solo and Choral Group Vocals.

Lines 1 & 2: Hameed solo followed by harmonized humming by choral group.

Lines 3 & 4: Same as 1 & 2; choral lead introduced for the choral section.

charaNams 1 & 2
Instruments: Solo Vocal. Choral Group alone is supported very gently by rhythm guitar. No other instruments.

Lines 1 & 2: First half sung by Hameed and second sung in countermelody by Sujatha & chorus. Line 2 as example:
tharisakkAttu OdaiyilE kaNdAngi thuvaikkaiyilE//
thuNiyai nanaiya vittu manasaip pizhinjavaLE
(// indicates the split between Hameed's & Choral Group's sections)

Lines 3 & 4: same as lines 1 & 2, but now with partially overlapping countermelodies. Example:
kalyANach chElaiyilE kaNNeeraith thudachchikkittu pORavA pORavAthAn//
pORavA pORavAthAn poNjAdhiyAp pORavAthAn
(such a partial overlap is called "stretto".)

Lines 5 & 6: Hameed finishes his lyrics and continues into the choral section with a strong humming as a countermelody, and the female lead projects her countermelodic humming into Hameed's solo lyrical section.

nAn thandha malligaiyai nattAththil pOttu vittu
araLip poochchoodi azhdhapadi pORavaLE //
kadalaik kAttukkuLLE kai adichchu sonna puLLE
kAththilE ezhudhaNum pombaLainga sonna sollE
(stretto plus a conventional counterpoint thru strong humming)

This song appears to borrow from the fugue concept, where the overall theme is split and alternated between several "groups" (here, Hameed and the choral group). The charaNams build up "tension" by increasing the degrees of overlap between the countermelodies. Two different types of counterpoints seem to be used.

The fundamental melodic concepts are from the green rice fields of TN, where groups of women in colorful sarees sing simple lines in unpretentious tunes as a group as they go about their work. (idhu nAn siRu vayadhil pArththu, kEttu, rasiththu, innum maRakkAdha gAnamum kAtchiyum.)

Overall, the song has a very rich texture with minimal instrument usage, and good use of harmony and counterpoints in vocals.

(C) Author, 2006.

(Republished from the author's 1998 posts.)

satissh_r
14th September 2009, 02:13 PM
I think Thiruda Thiruda is not being given enough recognition.

I Just voted for it Nov :D

NOV
14th September 2009, 02:21 PM
Thank you satish; I am not campaigning for it, but rather creating awareness. :D

NOV
14th September 2009, 02:39 PM
[tscii:06157cb5cb]
Encyclopedia

Thiruda Thiruda directed by the acclaimed film maker Mani Ratnam, and scripted by Ram Gopal Varma, yet another iconic Indian film maker. The film's score and soundtrack are composed by A. R. Rahman.

Plot

The film opens with a daring robbery. A large cache of newly minted INR 100 currency notes, totaling INR 1000 crore (10 billion), is packed into a shipping container and loaded onto a railway (goods) carriage. En route from Nasik to South India (in time for the National Budget), it is waylaid by a group of trained bandits. They steal the container and the digital smart card that opens it.

Their boss, Ashok Chellaiah, sends word to the big boss TT Vikram (Salim Ghouse) in London that the deed is done. Meanwhile, in New Delhi, the Finance Minister is disturbed: the money must be recovered in 10 days, when the National Budget is to be announced. The Finance Minister picks the top guy at the CBI, Laxminarayanan (S. P. Balasubramanyam), and asks him to recover the money in time for the National Budget, without making it public. Laxminarayanan is cerebral, practical and efficient. He sets about tracing the events leading up to the robbery.

The film introduces Kadir (Anand) and Azhagu (Prashanth), two petty thieves in a small hamlet in Tamil Nadu. They steal money, livestock and other related artifacts, usually from the rich or miserly, and generally have a good time. The clumsy, dim-witted local cop Santhosam and his aide are always on their trail, but the two thieves usually get away with their clever ruses.

In Bombay, Ashok Chellaiah receives word that Laxminarayanan is en route to arrest him. Afraid he may get caught with the digital smart card, Ashok mails it to an exotic dancer Chandralekha (Anu Agarwal) in Goa. Laxminarayanan retrieves the pad of paper upon which Ashok wrote the addressed, and exposes the impressions of Ashok's handwriting to reveal the cryptic code SKF 1138. They also find a photograph of Chandralekha. Laxminarayanan arrests Ashok and the local cops sweat him, but Ashok reveals nothing. When Laxminarayanan finds Chandralekha (backstage, after one of her dance shows), he discovers that she is aware of the robbery, but he is unable to prove anything. She escapes with the smart card.

Things have heated up in the small hamlet. The village folk (mostly the rich ones) call a panchayat and complain to Santhosam: Kadir and Azhagu's antics have escalated. Kadir and Azhagu are in the audience. They plan to rob the headman's home that evening, only to find that the headman's niece Rajathi (Heera) is about to commit suicide. They rob the house, stop the suicide and flee with Rajathi in tow, hotly pursued by the headman's henchmen. The chase brings them to a local railway line where they hop onto a train.

They happen upon Chandralekha on the train, and are forced to run again when the CBI stops the train to find Chandralekha. They manage to evade the CBI, but find that Chandralekha double-crosses them and escapes again. Azhaghu manages to snatch her handbag (with the smart card) before she runs off. During this time, the headman's goons come back to fetch Rajathi. The plot behind her attempted suicide is revealed: her uncle (the headman) announced his intent to wed her to get to her late father's estate, and she would rather die than submit to his lecherous advances. Kadir and Azhagu break into the home and free her again.

By this time, Vikram arrives in India. Vikram is a ruthless international criminal. He intends to use the money to finance subversive activities from outside. He murders Ashok (pronouncing him a traitor for not being able to evade arrest). He contacts Chandralekha and arrives at the small hamlet with a bunch of his goons. Chandralekha discovers that her handbag has been stolen by Kadir and Azhagu. Vikram and Chandralekha catch up with the thieves and retrieve the smart card, only to have it stolen again by Azhagu. Kadir, Azhagu, Chandralekha and Rajathi evade Vikram's men and escape again. Chandralekha and Rajathi have a heart to heart talk where Chandralekha reveals her past with Vikram. She was his lover (while only 17 years old), and he eventually dumped her, therewith destroying her self-esteem, honor and her unborn child. Chandralekha still supports Vikram.

The film takes a romantic turn when Rajathi and Kadir express their feelings for one another. Rajathi asks Kadir to quit the thief gig. "You have a 100 reasons to steal, but not one, not even me, to reform?", she asks, to which he replies that he has been stealing since he was 5. He first stole Azhagu from his home so his drunkard father wouldn't sell him to buy booze. He points out that they liberated Rajathi from her wicked uncle by stealing her from her home; when she was silent about morals then, why does she protest now? As Rajathi contemplates this, Azhagu declares his love for her. Bewildered, she refuses, and is further confused about Kadir.

The foursome resume running from Vikram and his men. During one of the chases, they accidentally fall on a container truck. They notice strange markings on the truck. Around this time, Laxminarayanan figures out the meaning of the writing on Ashok Chellaiah's pad. SKF 1138 is number the truck that carries the shipping container. Laxminarayanan traces the route taken by the container and arrives at the South Indian hamlet. The four of them secrete the container in the village market. Around this time, Rajathi is again picked up by her wicked uncle, and while Kadir and Azhagu go after her, Chandralekha is captured by Vikram.

Vikram shows his true intentions when he takes the smart card and leaves her, beaten and disabled, in the jungle. Her eyes are opened when she is rescued by Laxminarayanan's men, and she reveals that the container is on its way to Cochin harbor, destined for a ship that will carry it outside the country. Laxminarayanan's men trace available routes to Cochin, and instigate the local townsfolk to contain the cache within the hamlet.

Vikram kidnaps Rajathi and tortures her until Kadir and Azhagu reveal the location of the container. Vikram keeps Rajathi hostage and moves the container out on a train bound for Cochin. Kadir and Azhagu once again waylay the train, battle through Vikram's henchmen, retrieve Rajathi and recover the container. Laxminarayanan is accordingly tipped off by the townsfolk (seeking reward) and he arrives on the spot in time to recover the cache.

The film ends with Kadir and Azhagu haggling over who gets the maiden and/or the money.

Trivia

This film is reputed to be one of the first Indian movies to have used cinematographic devices such as Akela Cranes. P.C. Sriram provided the cinematography Cinematography for this film.

The film bombed at the box-office, as the critics were expecting a serious plot from Ratnam himself.

Dialogues for the film were written by famous writer Sujatha.

Ram Gopal Varma gave this story to Mani Ratnam and in turn Mani Ratnam gave the story for Ghayam, yet another blockbuster, for Ram Gopal Varma to direct.

This film was dubbed and released in Telugu as "Donga Donga" and in Hindi as "Chor Chor".

Soundtrack

The soundtrack features 6 songs composed by A. R. Rahman, with lyrics by Vairamuthu.

Track listing:

"Kannum Kannum" – Mano

"Konjam Nilavu" – Anupama

"Veerapandi Kotayile" – Mano, Unnimenon, K. S. Chithra

"Thee Thee" – Carolene

"Rasathi" – Shahul Hameed

"Putham Pudhu Boomi " – K. S. Chithra, Mano[/tscii:06157cb5cb]

NOV
14th September 2009, 02:47 PM
Egmore museum's front view! The title aptly chosen from Mani's Thiruda Thiruda Song "Chandralekha" composed gorgeously by A.R.Rahman wherein this piece of architecture was the backdrop for some phenomenal lighting translated sensationally into 70mm by another genius P.C.Sreeram!

[html:333a74bda5]
http://aminus3.s3.amazonaws.com/image/g0002/u00001477/i00067421/a1537473a5d7bf04955fc8d3e7919a72_large.jpg
[/html:333a74bda5]

kid-glove
14th September 2009, 02:54 PM
Voted for Iruvar.

NOV
14th September 2009, 02:56 PM
maddy, Thiruda Thiruda whole album is just simply too good...even if u listen now, be it Veerapandhi Kothayille,Thee Thee,Chandraleka or Kannum Kannum,putham puthu boomi all has amazing beats arrangments and also a very fresh approach... to tell u the truth, i still cant digest that Thee Thee & Chandralekha songs were composed in the year 1992/3 ....its too good...speechless to comment on the programming & vocal arrangements...and the loops that were used....goodness...amazing!! Thiruda Thiruda - easily can be said tamil album which is timeless.....

exactly Dinesh, it was after thiruda thiruda only ppl. in TN realised the power of ARR and his music.....music was easily 5-6 yrs ahead of its times.......infact it was after thiruda thiruda only i completely stopped listening to other MDs songs.......also, this album makes a mockery of theory that ARR's songs dont have longevity......really barring a few, for youth of 90's Thiruda thiruda is a evergreen album.....btw u shuld have been a 5 yr old when TT came isnt it?? :wink:

hehe..yea :P :oops: though i have some memories on thiruda thiruda & kadhalan that time... imagine the impact of the songs could give on a kid when he was 5 & 6 Y/o... :wink: thouhg i became a hardcore ARR fan only after Kadhalar Dhinam, its still misterious when i think about how could ARR composed TT during 1992 only.... esp chandralekha,world class beat arrangements, not 4getting Thee Thee, how did ARR adopt the " thakithe tha tha " into a western peice.... :clap:

AudazJay
14th September 2009, 03:06 PM
Thank you satish; I am not campaigning for it, but rather creating awareness. :D

I would have believed you if not for your "diligent and thorough" research pertaining to TT which is evident in your subsequent posts :lol:

Btw, TT is one of my very favorite album too :D

kid-glove
14th September 2009, 03:08 PM

I would have believed you if not for your "diligent and thorough" research pertaining to TT which is evident in your subsequent posts :lol:

:lol:

jaaze
14th September 2009, 04:18 PM

Btw, TT is one of my very favorite album too :D :lol:

dinesh2002
14th September 2009, 05:25 PM

Btw, TT is one of my very favorite album too :D :lol:

:lol: :twisted:

priya32
14th September 2009, 05:59 PM
NOV: Can you replace 'iruvar' with 'en swAsa kaaRRE'?

Thank You!

Instead of kaadhal dEsam, I wish it was 'duet'!

NOV
14th September 2009, 06:11 PM
NOV: Can you replace 'iruvar' with 'en swAsa kaaRRE'?:shock: :evil: :x :curse: :twisted: :hammer: :angry2:

AudazJay
15th September 2009, 11:13 AM

En swasa katre had amazing numbers but to replace iruvar???:evil:

music man
15th September 2009, 03:13 PM

Thank You!

I voted for Iruvar..Personally I feel Iruvar is one of the best ARR album. En Swasa Kaatre is also a good album...But ............ :roll:

music man
15th September 2009, 03:15 PM
Kandukonden KanduKonden tops the list...Thats a big surprise...Duet has got only 1 and Roja only 2......Hmmm...

raajarasigan
15th September 2009, 03:44 PM
Kandukonden KanduKonden tops the list...Thats a big surprise...Duet has got only 1 and Roja only 2......Hmmm...

Yes.. definetly it is a surprise.. :o yaaro kalla vottu pottirukkaanga... :lol: :think:

NOV
15th September 2009, 06:26 PM
Must be Ajith fans :lol:

priya32
15th September 2009, 06:26 PM

:wink:

AudazJay
16th September 2009, 06:16 AM
Was I the only one who thought Duet was excellent? :cry3: Maybe I should start "creating awareness" of Duet's sheer beauty? :twisted:

music man
16th September 2009, 11:12 AM
Was I the only one who thought Duet was excellent? :cry3: Maybe I should start "creating awareness" of Duet's sheer beauty? :twisted:

Duet will rank among Rahman's top 5. I had a tough time choosing between Duet and Iruvar finally chose Iruvar due to the complexity and experimentation in various genres and also due to the magnitude of the project.

And Duet is also one of his best albums...Oru Saxophone ah yaar ivalavu azhaga muzhumaiya tamil film la use pannirukkaanga??? Really mindblowing songs...My favorite is Naan Paadum Sandham from that movie...It was the most underrated track in that album...The audio was a huge huge hit..I think our man can release that album again with improved sound to the international audiences...

Such a sheer display of brilliance at such an younger age...

lancelot
16th September 2009, 11:40 AM
my vote is for Alaipayuthey.. simply because thats the album that introduced me to the greatness of A R Rahman. However, i really feel like i am betraying my self by voting :-(

hehe

lancelot
16th September 2009, 11:43 AM

Thank You!

may be we can add En Swasakater and Duet. but REPLACE Iruvar???? Kathal Desam???? :curse: :curse: :)

hehe

ajaybaskar
16th September 2009, 11:46 AM
I voted for Boys since it was a comeback vehicle for ARR and he has never looked back since then. The album was so fresh and the output was top class..

At that period, there were few MDs who were giving hits just by recycling old ARR songs and few western songs. Boys came with a bang with a line..

இந்த இசை.. சொந்த இசை..
இம்சையிலே வந்த இசை...

jaaze
16th September 2009, 12:17 PM
Boys since it was a comeback vehicle for ARR and he has never looked back since then. The album was so fresh and the output was top class..

At that period, there were few MDs who were giving hits just by recycling old ARR songs and few western songs. Boys came with a bang with a line..

இந்த இசை.. சொந்த இசை..
இம்சையிலே வந்த இசை...:thumbsup: :)

AudazJay
16th September 2009, 12:25 PM
My favorite is Naan Paadum Sandham from that movie...It was the most underrated track in that album...

:exactly: The song is awesome, especially the saxophone towards the end of the track...MAGICAL! Vairamuthu's lyrics and ARR-Kadri Gopalnath combo :notworthy:

dinesh2002
16th September 2009, 12:50 PM
My favorite is Naan Paadum Sandham from that movie...It was the most underrated track in that album...

:exactly: The song is awesome, especially the saxophone towards the end of the track...MAGICAL! Vairamuthu's lyrics and ARR-Kadri Gopalnath combo :notworthy:

Exactly... :D

but im surprised no 1 spoke about the Title Melody. It was my second most fav track in the album... started with the heart beat followed by the saxaphone like its shouting out its heart :notworthy:... and the female chorus going " sa...... ni sa.... ga ma....ga ri.....ga ma..... ga ri......." then the saxaphone goes in high tone and the bass line going loud.... then the waves of the sea sound finishing the song... My goodness..... its something u cant describe with words..... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

music man
16th September 2009, 01:02 PM

Exactly... :D

but im surprised no 1 spoke about the Title Melody. It was my second most fav track in the album... started with the heart beat followed by the saxaphone like its shouting out its heart :notworthy:... and the female chorus going " sa...... ni sa.... ga ma....ga ri.....ga ma..... ga ri......." then the saxaphone goes in high tone and the bass line going loud.... then the waves of the sea sound finishing the song... My goodness..... its something u cant describe with words..... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:clap:

A.ANAND
16th September 2009, 01:29 PM
இம்சையிலே வந்த இசை

ithan meaning-than innum puriyala?

AudazJay
16th September 2009, 01:38 PM
இம்சையிலே வந்த இசை

Perhaps, the music which was created during their times of struggle and pain?

jaaze
16th September 2009, 02:48 PM
இம்சையிலே வந்த இசை

Perhaps, the music which was created during their times of struggle and pain?that's what I understood it to be, too
Am I the only one but during the first 100 odd listenings I always heard it as Isaiyile vantha isai :?

raajarasigan
16th September 2009, 07:47 PM
Am I the only one but during the first 100 odd listenings I always heard it as Isaiyile vantha isai :?

I am also with you.. :wink:

saaaame blood :lol:

Scale
17th September 2009, 12:07 PM
:shock: innoru threada?

Sangamam polla illayaa? EKSI. A Challenging & ethnical score from ARR. Folk & Semi Classical.

Voted for Duet! :notworthy:

Nerd
25th September 2009, 12:54 AM
Voted for thirudA thirudA to make it equal KKKK. "nenachapadi nenachapadi"-nu oru mokkai pAttu irukka kAdhalar dhinam ellaam Poll-la irukku, kAdhalan illaiyA? :banghead:

NOV
25th September 2009, 05:40 AM
"nenachapadi nenachapadi"-nu oru mokkai pAttu irukka :shock:
such a great song and widely played during weddings :roll:

NOV
25th September 2009, 05:47 AM
alli vizhiyOram anjanathai theetti
andhi vaNNa pinnal meedhu thaazhai malar sootti
aadhi mudhal andham aabaraNam pootti
annamivaL mEdai vandhaaL minnal mugam kaatti
getti mELam kottida maNappeNNai
thottu thaali kattinaan maappiLLai
indha Ezhai nenjamum nee vaazha
enRum pookkaL thoovum
nee vaazhga nalamaaga :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

littlemaster1982
25th September 2009, 02:12 PM

I skip that song always :|

Bala (Karthik)
25th September 2009, 03:34 PM

I skip that song always :|
:oops: I like(d) that song (forget the concept and other baggage :lol: )
Especially the interlude

Plum
25th September 2009, 09:58 PM
KKS, KKKK, May Maadham. Idhu edhuvumE illAdha indha poll-ai naan boycott seigirEn :twisted:

Nerd
26th September 2009, 01:05 AM
KKS, KKKK, May Maadham. Idhu edhuvumE illAdha indha poll-ai naan boycott seigirEn :twisted:
KKKK irukkE, aanaalum adhukku vote pOdadheenga. Save for santhana thenRalai I find the album a little below the others in the poll.

KKS - boyakku boyakku shAk :lol2: I like that song too but while comparing with the other numbers in this, it falls flat.

May Maadham - :2thumbsup:

kid-glove
26th September 2009, 01:08 AM
KKKK irukkE, aanaalum adhukku vote pOdadheenga. Save for santhana thenRalai I find the album a little below the others in the poll.

KKS - boyakku boyakku shAk :lol2: I like that song too but while comparing with the other numbers in this, it falls flat.

May Maadham - :2thumbsup:

Concur.

Sanjeevi
26th September 2009, 01:10 AM
Yes KKS is indeed a brilliant scroe

Plum
26th September 2009, 07:36 AM
Oh I love amma tamizhamma. Kks is my absolute all time rahman fv. Will not hear. A word against :evil:

Mukesh, johnsonkellAm only calling card in their career still remains kks.

dinesh2002
26th September 2009, 10:39 AM
Oh I love amma tamizhamma. Kks is my absolute all time rahman fv. Will not hear. A word against :evil:

Mukesh, johnsonkellAm only calling card in their career still remains kks.

If im not mistaken, Mukesh has sung many songs after Theekuruvi. Another song of his i liked was a song from Saravana. :)

SVN
26th September 2009, 12:28 PM
I would rate Pudhiya Mugam and May Madham way ahead of Kadhalar Dinam!

music man
27th September 2009, 05:31 PM
I would rate Pudhiya Mugam and May Madham way ahead of Kadhalar Dinam!

:cheer: :cheer: :exactly: :yes:

music man
27th September 2009, 05:33 PM
But from the poll listing, I would say that KKKK is much hyped..Rest is ok....We can substitute KKKK with May Madham....Puthiya Mugam comes closest but My Madham had more variety and class...

VENKIRAJA
28th September 2009, 11:18 PM
1. Duet
2. Thiruda Thiruda
3. Roja
4. Iruvar
5. Alaipayuthey
6. En swasa katre
7. Kangalal kaidhu sei
8. Minsara Kanavu
9. Rhythm
10. Kannathil Muthamittal

Half the list has MR.

Plum
29th September 2009, 08:06 PM
KKKK is outstanding
kannamoochi - lovely, lovely melody and the teasing oozes in the tune, the kurumbu of Aishwarya's character well captured. Ignore the KJY version

engE enadhu kavidhai - probably best pathos(thats not the right word but still the closest) of Rahman

Kandukodnein - beautifuly orchestration? Jazzy?

Everything else is a bonus for me in that album.
I can think of very few Rahman albums that surpass this hindi or tamil!

Benny Lava
30th September 2009, 09:07 AM
KKKK is outstanding
kannamoochi - lovely, lovely melody and the teasing oozes in the tune, the kurumbu of Aishwarya's character well captured. Ignore the KJY version
What????? :shock:

Sureshs65
30th September 2009, 09:37 AM
Given my predilection for classical music, I would agree with Plum that KKKK is probably the best soundtrack of Rahman in any language. He achieves a nice balance between the classical and popular sounds. This happens because he derives from the classical base and then molds the song for the film. Rahman did try to give some classical based songs in 'Sangamam' but personally I think KKKK is a superior effort.

For example, 'engE enadhu kavidhai' takes its Sindhu Bhairavi from the popular 'venkatAchala nilayam'. The pallavis are almost the same and bring out the pathos well. Then Rahman changes the ragam in the charam but still maintains the mood of the song. Similarly, 'kaNNAmoochi' derives from Oothukadu's 'pAl vaDiyum mugam'. He uses the raga Natakurunji here and molds it as per the need of the song. (Here the pallavi lines are not similar but the mood of the raga is.)Similarly 'kandukonden kandukonden' is based on Mand and sounds nice.

This album also showcases to certain extent the aesthetics of Rahman. Something I may not agree fully with. In case of 'konjum mainAkaLE', it starts as a very nice Madhyamavathi but during the charanam, the Madhyamavathi is completely lost after a couple of lines. This is definitely unexpected, which probably Rahman wants, but whether it is effective is a different question. To me the song's potential is lost at this point. The same happens with 'kaNNamoochi' as well in the charanam but that song works better for me than 'konjum mainAkaLE'.

I know my view is probably uni dimensional but in this view, I would vote for KKKK.

dinesh2002
30th September 2009, 10:34 AM
Given my predilection for classical music, I would agree with Plum that KKKK is probably the best soundtrack of Rahman in any language. He achieves a nice balance between the classical and popular sounds. This happens because he derives from the classical base and then molds the song for the film. Rahman did try to give some classical based songs in 'Sangamam' but personally I think KKKK is a superior effort.

For example, 'engE enadhu kavidhai' takes its Sindhu Bhairavi from the popular 'venkatAchala nilayam'. The pallavis are almost the same and bring out the pathos well. Then Rahman changes the ragam in the charam but still maintains the mood of the song. Similarly, 'kaNNAmoochi' derives from Oothukadu's 'pAl vaDiyum mugam'. He uses the raga Natakurunji here and molds it as per the need of the song. (Here the pallavi lines are not similar but the mood of the raga is.)Similarly 'kandukonden kandukonden' is based on Mand and sounds nice.

This album also showcases to certain extent the aesthetics of Rahman. Something I may not agree fully with. In case of 'konjum mainAkaLE', it starts as a very nice Madhyamavathi but during the charanam, the Madhyamavathi is completely lost after a couple of lines. This is definitely unexpected, which probably Rahman wants, but whether it is effective is a different question. To me the song's potential is lost at this point. The same happens with 'kaNNamoochi' as well in the charanam but that song works better for me than 'konjum mainAkaLE'.

I know my view is probably uni dimensional but in this view, I would vote for KKKK.

its really nice to see some1 giving such elaborate details on the songs like you. as for kannamoochi and konnjum mainakale having those 'lost' tunes is done purposely, as Aishwariya Rai in the film loves music but never did take proper classes. A.R.Rahman has taken a careful task that it should show she doesnt know music yet she sings, and it must sound good at the same time. Both the songs was a major hit and it only means it reached the common layman perfectly, and it fulfilled the movie's script.

What a genius this man is... :) :notworthy:

AudazJay
30th September 2009, 11:15 AM

I wish I had half the knowledge of yours with regards to classical music :oops: Unfortunately I have none but yeah, KKKK was definitely a great musical feast as far as I'm concerned.
Nevertheless, I still rate Minsara Kanavu as the better album of the ARR-Rajeev Menon combo. Now, that was an exciting album! :musicsmile:

Plum
30th September 2009, 12:08 PM

Lovely articulation Suresh, of what I found worthy about this album. Cant agree with you more. Personally, yes, much, much superior to Sangamam as a rooted in classical album.

Kannammoochi also treads into Sahana in between?

For my money, the beauty of the album is that apart from Indian classical music, it succesfully touches upon Jazz in the title number(this is hearsay as I am not much familiar with that form). And we are still not done - we have to discuss sandhana thendralai - and when I voted, I had forgotten Konjum MainakkaLE!

There is so much in this album that deserves to be written upon

Sureshs65
30th September 2009, 02:38 PM
dinesh: What you say makes sense. What I meant when I said it reflects Rahman's aesthetics is that this happens in many of his song. This need to deviate or experiment. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. KKKK is one case when I look at the micro level I find the experiment not capturing my attention but the song at the macro level is captivating. As you said, the songs were a success and who can argue with success :)

AudazJay: I don't think knowing classical music has much to do with enjoyment. 'Minsara Kanavu' is a nice track as well but as I said, I am a bit biased towards the classical side and hence KKKK for me.

Plum: I think the song does veer into Sahana as well in the charanams, though it starts as a bright Natakurunji.

Appu s
30th September 2009, 04:54 PM

u have to take back your words :wink:

Suresh65 and plum :notworthy: :notworthy:

dinesh2002
30th September 2009, 05:44 PM
dinesh: What you say makes sense. What I meant when I said it reflects Rahman's aesthetics is that this happens in many of his song. This need to deviate or experiment. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. KKKK is one case when I look at the micro level I find the experiment not capturing my attention but the song at the macro level is captivating. As you said, the songs were a success and who can argue with success :)

AudazJay: I don't think knowing classical music has much to do with enjoyment. 'Minsara Kanavu' is a nice track as well but as I said, I am a bit biased towards the classical side and hence KKKK for me.

Plum: I think the song does veer into Sahana as well in the charanams, though it starts as a bright Natakurunji.

Thats interesting Suresh, i would love to read more from you regarding classical roots in ARR songs. Im quite sure nowdays ARR doesnt touch carnatic notes as much as those days isnt it? Could u throw some lights on this. Off late ARR songs doesnt have that "Tamil" touch and i sense because it doesnt has carnatic tune anywhere as those days. Am i right?

Sureshs65
30th September 2009, 09:20 PM
Dinesh,

I would agree with you to a large extent about the lack of carnatic base in recent Tamil songs of Rahman, though some songs in 'Azhagiya Tamizh Magan' did have the carnatic touch. In case of other recent melodies like 'sahAnA sAral' or 'mardAni', the touch is more North Indian in nature.

In case of Hindi films, in his earlier days, Rahman tried infusing some south indian classical music into it. Nowadays the films he does don't seem to allow him that liberty.

dinesh2002
30th September 2009, 11:46 PM
Dinesh,

I would agree with you to a large extent about the lack of carnatic base in recent Tamil songs of Rahman, though some songs in 'Azhagiya Tamizh Magan' did have the carnatic touch. In case of other recent melodies like 'sahAnA sAral' or 'mardAni', the touch is more North Indian in nature.

In case of Hindi films, in his earlier days, Rahman tried infusing some south indian classical music into it. Nowadays the films he does don't seem to allow him that liberty.

Ahh, i was right! guess that is why many fans were saying "ARR lost his touch" !.... this is the cause...

Thanks for the confirmation Suresh !

Bala (Karthik)
1st October 2009, 02:14 AM
KKKK is outstanding

Agree! KJY version is not a patch on the Chitra version.

The only drishti is "smayyaai" which is the "September Maadham" of the album...

Benny Lava
1st October 2009, 09:43 AM
KKKK is outstanding

I for one like the duet version a lot. It is such a rarity to hear KJY in a ARR song :cry:

ajaybaskar
1st October 2009, 03:57 PM
KKKK is outstanding

:lol: Exactly..

Plum
1st October 2009, 04:03 PM
AB, 3 bolded lines-la edhukku "Exactly" solreenga :-)

September Maadham -isnt it more catchy and more popular than the KKKK one. I dont even remember "smaiyai". idhu enna lyrics - apdinna enna?
There's also a bharathiyar song right? I dont remember that one now eiether.

ajaybaskar
1st October 2009, 04:36 PM
Plum, Only the last line was bolded by me.

When compared to the other songs of Alaipayuthey and KKKK, September and Smaiyai are way below in terms of quality. Whnever i listen to these 2 albums, i tend to skip those 2 songs..

littlemaster1982
1st October 2009, 05:10 PM

Suttum vizhichudar-dhaan Kannamma.

Benny Lava
2nd October 2009, 08:24 AM

Lovely rendition by Hariharan, there was a time when I listened to this song more regularly than the other tracks in KKKK.

AudazJay
2nd October 2009, 12:13 PM

Lovely rendition by Hariharan, there was a time when I listened to this song more regularly than the other tracks in KKKK.

Me too :D Heavenly number...

Rocky89
2nd October 2009, 10:48 PM
Plum, Only the last line was bolded by me.

When compared to the other songs of Alaipayuthey and KKKK, September and Smaiyai are way below in terms of quality. Whnever i listen to these 2 albums, i tend to skip those 2 songs..

September Madham is a great number. I dunno why you guys hate it :(

ajaybaskar
2nd October 2009, 10:52 PM
Taste differs, Rocky. For me, the other songs are like Corona and September is like Kingfisher.

kapildev
17th November 2009, 03:53 AM
voted for kaNdukoNdeen kaNdukoNdeen.

brilliant music score with wonderful lyrics!

enna Solla Pogirai - Shankar Mahadevan (17%)
Smayiyai - Devan, Clinton Cerejo, Dominique Cerejo (8%)
Kanamoochi - K. S. Chithra (12%)
Suttum Vizhi - Hariharan (7%)
Konjum Mainakkale - Sadhana Sargam (7%)
Kanamoochi (Duet) - K. S. Chithra, K. J. Yesudas (12%)
Yengae Enathu Kavithai - K. S. Chithra, Srinivas (22%)
Kandukondain Kandukondain - Hariharan, Mahalakshmi Iyer (15%)

A perfect 100% album!!

A.ANAND
17th November 2009, 07:33 AM
my vote 4 thiruda thiruda!

Aalavanthan
17th November 2009, 10:39 PM
Adheppadi NOV unga gurunadhar padam Duet'a vittuteenga.

KB himself once said that ARR hasn't surpassed the wholesomeness of Duet album in any album since then (I think he said it long back).

Things in favor of Duet:
1. Great variety in songs - Classical, semi-classical, folksy, fusion, solo etc.,
2. Superb singing - SPB in most of the songs and others were good as well
3. Excellent lyrics
4. Wide range of moods - Optimistic (metu podu), Romantic (anjali), Pathos (Kai neetum & En Kadhaley), Naughty (Kathirikka), jovial (Kulicha kuthalam)
5. Kadri's virtuosity with Sax
6. AND "The Duet Theme!!"

Cant agree more ! :yes:

sunnyg
10th December 2009, 08:06 AM
Guys,

This is impossible - the top 1-99 tamil albums are all ARR's.

Still, my choice would be BOYS.

It was a comeback of sorts for ARR.

Paal pole padhinaaru,

Sa re ga me

Ale Ale

Maro maro

wow, wow! He changed the face of tamil music again with this album!

Sunil_M88
30th September 2010, 03:37 PM
Duet - :ty: Kadri Gopalnath

Sunil_M88
20th February 2011, 08:15 PM
I know it's not in the poll but I revisited Kabhi na kabhi (Monalisa in Tamil)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfWFN3RNzJ4

The beat is very MJish but the following interludes are the best of those times, @ 0:19 to 0:47 and @1:48 to 2:20 respectively.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc53Gf9YOAk

The prelude is very rich, especially @0:30 (also heard @1:45). @2:15 onwards - The most soul stirring piece of the song is heard. @2:33 Hariharan sparkles more than star. @3:17 The humming inter spaced with the flute is just another addition to the song's brilliance. The song ends on a very soothing note.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6aLUAfwsJk

No one could of sung those alaaps better than ARR. Those sufi notes are his trade mark. The orchestration is another highlight of the song particularly @3:41. But the bottom line is that one cannot express enough gratitude to M. G. Sreekumar and K. S. Chitra. They make the singing sound so easy. Here is a :bow: to such perfectionists.

Along with Mere Dil Ka Woh Shehzada this is another peppy number. The qawwali influence is glaring. ARR has used S.P. Balasubramaniam, Hariharan, and K. S. Chitra in a very different way to the songs they're commonly known for. This is one of them songs you can hear at anytime and anywhere. The second interlude certainly does evoke a lot of sentimental feelings.

The other songs in the album are Mil Gayi Mil Gayi Woh Manzilen (Reused from Duet's Anjali Anjali but instrumentation is different). BTW This is the only song sung by Kumar Sanu ji for Thalaivar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgVTl0kyrTM

Lastly Shukriya Tera Shukriya by S.P. Balasubramaniam and Chorus. IMO This song does not posses as much longevity as the rest of the album (May be because the typical ARR touch here is to a smaller extent), however @3:44 I could listen to this interlude for ever as it soars with blithesomeness.

Overall I would rate this albums as one of ARR best works showcasing his mastery over interludes, whether it be vocal inter spaced alaaps or the heartwarming instrumentation. :clap: Furthermore, all the singers sound very fresh. :D

Sunil

Sunil_M88
20th February 2011, 08:31 PM
I'm sorry I forgot to express laurels for Asha ji @2:26 of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfWFN3RNzJ4 - to say those notes are manipulative and seducing would be an understatement. Asha ji was extensively used by Rahman ji during those days. She was his favorite for those type of songs and I agree no one else could of sung better youth songs at her age then herself. Even till today she still continues to shine in up tempo item songs.

:thumbsup: Asha ji!

Sunil_M88
2nd March 2011, 03:58 AM
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/#/album/116-Sanskrit_Devotional/25051-Chaturbhujam/

A breathtaking example of humanity. :bow:

littlemaster1982
2nd March 2011, 07:58 AM
Sunil,

Chaturbhujam is not by ARR :)

Sunil_M88
3rd March 2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the info. but I'm really confused about why so may sources cite him as the composer.

littlemaster1982
3rd March 2011, 08:41 AM
The album makers used a picture of ARR in CD cover to increase it's visibility. I would say they have succeeded to some extent :)

raghavendran
7th March 2011, 09:37 AM
indha polla irukkara albums ellame top..my fav would be Kadhal Desam...chinna vayasulendhe fav,even kkkk and duet sollalam

SoftSword
11th July 2011, 09:33 PM
refurb...
attention pls...

whr doesn VTV sit here in the list?

raghavendran
12th July 2011, 08:26 AM
though Vtv is one of my fav soundtracks by AR in recent times..it doesnt stand a chance in this list..ellame classics..all these soundtracks will be in best of Thamizh cinema's albums