PDA

View Full Version : Deepavali in Purattasi?

NOV
25th September 2009, 06:14 AM
Deepavali 2009 is on October 17th.

Usually Deepavali is celebrated in the month of aippasi, but this year it appears during the month of purattasi. What gives?

Also Krishna Jayanthi is usually celebrated in Aavani, but this year there were two celebrations one month apart - one in Aadi (also celebrated by ISKCON) and another in Aavani (as observed by TN Vaisnavites)

A simple explanation would be appreciated. :)

pavalamani pragasam
25th September 2009, 09:11 AM
Fast is the pace of life!!! :noteeth:

podalangai
25th September 2009, 05:59 PM

Usually Deepavali is celebrated in the month of aippasi, but this year it appears during the month of purattasi. What gives?

Also Krishna Jayanthi is usually celebrated in Aavani, but this year there were two celebrations one month apart - one in Aadi (also celebrated by ISKCON) and another in Aavani (as observed by TN Vaisnavites)

Tamil months follow the solar calendar, but Deepavali's date is determined according to the lunar calendar. As a result, it sometimes falls in a different solar month, because the lunar calender drifts a bit every year.

Krishna Jeyanthi is even more complicated, because here it's not just lunar vs. solar, but also a question of whether to emphasise the thithi (Janmashtami) or the natchaththiram (Krishnajayanthi). This web page explains it much better than I can.
http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archives/aug2001/0207.html

NOV
25th September 2009, 06:33 PM
:ty: aravindh :P

nimalan
5th October 2009, 06:43 AM
Is there any significant difference in celebrating Deepavali during Purataasi? I hear that ancestral prayers should not be conducted. Can anyone shed any light? Thanks.

Sudhaama
6th October 2009, 12:37 AM

Tamil months follow the solar calendar, but Deepavali's date is determined according to the lunar calendar. As a result, it sometimes falls in a different solar month, because the lunar calender drifts a bit every year.

Krishna Jeyanthi is even more complicated, because here it's not just lunar vs. solar, but also a question of whether to emphasise the thithi (Janmashtami) or the natchaththiram (Krishnajayanthi).

This web page explains it much better than I can.

http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archives/aug2001/0207.html

Under the Web-site quoted above... the matter has been well-analysed on various relevent factors...

...which must be enough to understand basically.

Further the following are the concerned important criteria.

(1) As rightly said by some friends here... on the difference berween Smarthas (Iyers / Sankaracharya's disciples) basis...

..alongsaide the Sri-Vaishnavites (Ramanujacharya's disciples) basis.....

..Smaarthas adopt the THITHI for all such celebrations... like KRISHNA-ASHTAMI... RAMA-NAVAMI.. etc.

..whereas Sri-Vaishnavites adopt Thithi-factor only for DEATH ANNIVERSARIES like Srardhas.

Deepavali is the day of DEATH ANNIVERSARY of Narakasura... so in that case... there will not be much difference.

(2) Even for celebrating the PERSONAL BIRTHDAY... Smaarthas take the first occurrence of Star...

..whereas Sri-Vaishnavites adopt the last occurrence of Star in the respective month.

(3) THe apt date of such Festival / Celebration... is decided on the basis of...

...Counting from the First Occurrence of relevent Star in the BEGINNING MONTH CHITHTHIRAI.. in that year

...which may change the sequence to different months.

For example, Sri-Jayanthi (Krishna-Jayanthi) is reckoned as the FIFTH ROHINI in the year....

..since Avani was the Fifth month of the year... by consideration of the Krishna's First Birthday.

So when two Rohinis occur in the same month in any part of the year, prior to such important Festival / Celebration later...

...then CUMULATIVELY the subsequent Celebration of the MONTH also differs.

Badri
8th October 2009, 09:25 AM
Yes, but given that Aipasi is also called Tula Maasam, and Deepavali is characterised by Ganga Snanam, and Tula is famous for Tula Snanam, how is a Deepavali in Purattasi to be viewed? :roll:

Just my two confusing cents! Don't throw anything at me for bringing this mottai thalai and muzhangal in one mudichu! :lol:

P_R
8th October 2009, 10:02 AM
I remember two deepavaLis in 1990 or 1991.
Celebrated at my aunt's place at the first then again at home a few days later.

I am not sure I completely understand the calculations even now. One too many variables. I used to think it was Aippasi amAvAsai that was all (that too thanks largely to a detective story where the suspect is nailed down because he tries to say he witnessed a murder on deepavaLi day under moonlight!)

tulA maasam ! :confused2:

19thmay
8th October 2009, 10:31 AM
Deepavali in Puratasi-yavida Deepavali in Saturday makes me :cry:

Leave pochE!

ArulprakasH
8th October 2009, 03:04 PM
Deepavali in Puratasi-yavida Deepavali in Saturday makes me :cry:

Leave pochE!

:rotfl:

Badri
8th October 2009, 04:11 PM
Hmm, we were happy here in Australia that it is a Saturday, we get a holiday for Deepavali! :roll:

joe
8th October 2009, 06:29 PM
In singapore , Govt calender mentioned sunday as Deepavali (If sunday ,monday will be holiday) ,but later changed to Saturday :oops:

NOV
8th October 2009, 06:38 PM
I think all over the world its Saturday. And I also believe that Sat is the change of Purattasi to Aippasi? :?

Sudhaama
8th October 2009, 09:11 PM

.Our "Badri" has raised... a GOOD POINT.!... It is NOT "mottai thalai and muzhangal in one mudichu!... But of WISE SENSE.!...

[html:b25676902f]
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p213/sudhaama/2008/Hub- 35 MAY 2009/Kolam1.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p213/sudhaama/2008/Hub- 35 MAY 2009/Deepavali12.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p213/sudhaama/2008/Hub- 35 MAY 2009/Deepavali4-2.jpg
[/html:b25676902f]

.What is DHEEPAAVALHI.?... Why.?... How.?

Deepavali is the FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS... Various Gods in COLLECTIVE JOTHI form...!!!

.... given that Aipasi is also called Tula Maasam, and Deepavali is characterised by Ganga Snanam, and Tula is famous for Tula Snanam, how is a Deepavali in Purattasi to be viewed?

:roll:

Just my two confusing cents! Don't throw anything at me for bringing this mottai thalai and muzhangal in one mudichu! :lol:

Deepavali is ONE GRAND ANNUAL FESTIVAL... celebrated by all the Vedics ... so called the Hindus... all over the World.!

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p213/sudhaama/2008/Hub- 35 MAY 2009/Arunachala1.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p213/sudhaama/2008/Thiru-Aug08/Jothi1A.jpg

It is the MOST IMPORTANT Celebration... COMMON for all the Vedics...

....unlike any other Festival like Pongal, Vinayaka-chathurthi, Siva-rathri, Vaikunta-Ekadasi, Gokulashtami, Sri-Rama Navami, Thai-poosam, Durga-pooja etc...

...which are either Regional or only relevent to certain segments of Vedics...

... or of varied degree of importance for the mosaic form of Hindus..

Why Deepavali so important.?

Because of Four Salient Reasons... (1) Self uplift by Auto-Suggestion... (2) Realisation of Human-Values...... (3) Development of Social-spirit.... (4) Worship of God in the form of Brightness (Prakasam) and Light.(Jothi)

Why in "Aippasi" / Thula Month.?.

The Sanskrit name THULA itself means the Weighing- Balance instrument called THARAASU in Tamil...

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p213/sudhaama/2008/Hub- 35 MAY 2009/Tharasu1.jpg
[/html:b25676902f]....THULA-KOAL in Malayalam... THARAAJU / THARAAJ in other Indian Languages

True to its Shape and Concept... it is WELL-BALANCED by the sense of EQUALITY by Durations of Brightness and Darkness

It has been named so.. by our ancestors because of several Reasons... one of which is... that this is the Only Month in the whole year... when the Day and Night are EQUALLY OF 12 Hours mostly.

...Aippasi / Tula month is the Central period of Dakshinayanam... signyfying the forthcoming Dawn period of PUNHYA KAALAM... while the previous Three months Aadi, Aavani, Purattasi are PARIHARA KAALAM....

... so Aippasi Thula month is the End-period of Parihara-Kaalam....

And Deepavali signifies the END OF DARKNESS... Blooming towards BRIGHTNESS of LIFE.... by Ones Own Self, Family and Social concepts.

Even if Deepavali occurs in other months like PURATTASI.. its HIGH CONCEPT coupled by SPIRITUAL VALUES....will not get diminished....

Yes. Deepavali Ganga-Snanam SACRED sense holds good.. for any month as it happens so... in any year.

Because Deepavali is the only Festival strongly linked with both the cycles of Sun and Moon....

..the Amavasya day of the specific Naraka- Chathurdasi Thithi.

While Tula month itself means MAINLY the END OF PARIHARAS...

...Deepavali does not confine to such a Negative pursuit of Self-denigration or Repeantive sense alone...

...but more towards Positive Spirit of ADVANCEMENT by means of Positive-thinking and Auto-Suggestion...

....by DISPELLING DARKNESS... through ones own endeavour... signified by Artificial Lights backed with seeking God's grace...

Worshipping the SUPREME PARANJOTHI....

.....alongside Several Jothis... symbolically SEVERAL GODS... in Jothi forms.

Yes Arunagirinathar says.... Nadabindu kalaadhi Namo nama... DHEEPA MANGALHA JOTHI NAMO NAMA.!.... addressing Lord Muruha.

Arulh-jothi Valhlhalaar says... Arulh Jothi Dheywam yennai aandu konda Dheywam... Chith sabhaiyil vilhanguginrha Dheywam adhu Dheywam .. addressing Lord Siva Nataraja.

Angingu yenaadha padi... aanandha moorthiyaay arulh jothiyaay... lauds Thayuaanava Swami addressing Lord Siva.

jothiyaay yennai aatkonda annaiyae... praises the Abhirami-bhattar... addressing Lordess Shakthi Rajeswari devi.

Jothi aahi yella ulahum thozhum Aadhi moorthi yenrhaal alhavaahumoa... theedhil seer Thiruvengadaththaanaiyae.!... extols Nammalwar addressing Vishnu... Lord Venkateswara.

All such varied and CONTRADICTORY versions... by One and all the Great Seers...

...attributing the same Propensities and Qualities for all the DIFFERENT GODS...

....conveys the BROAD-MINDED and LARGE-HEARTED Vedic concept that....

...Several Gods in the forms of DIFFERENT JOTHIS... had emanated from ONE GREAT PARANJOTHI....

...the SUPREME REIGNING OMNIPOTENT GOD.!!!

That SOLE PARANJOTHI.... HE / SHE / IT... Common for All the Vedics (Hindus)... as the EMPEROR Paramaathma...

....Governs, Protects and Showers graceful BRIGHT PROSPERITY IN LIFE... for One and All.!!!..

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p213/sudhaama/2008/Thiru-Oct08/Deepavali8.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p213/sudhaama/2008/Thiru-Oct08/Deepavali5.jpg

So Jothi is worshipped and fervently prayed with Auto-Suggestion... coupled with Optimistic HOPE on Future.... towards Overall Success...

God supports.... the COHESIVE ENDEAVOUR by the United Society... towards the COMMON WELL-BEING of the Whole Composite Society...

....in the True sense of HUMAN-VALUES...

...implemented with the SINCERE Soul-Spirit of UNIVERSAL LOVE of all the Nature.

Global World is the GOD'S PLAYFIELD...

....created for the purpose of highly WISE & WHOLE-HEARTED Co-ordination of Mankind...

...the SUPREME BIRTH of Worth... on Earth.!.