PDA

View Full Version : Road accidents vs Natural calamities

NOV
30th September 2009, 06:56 PM
Lets take Malaysia as an example.

Over 70 deaths were reported over the last few months because of H1N1. There was nation-wide panic with ppl staying home, buying masks and hand wash soap like there was no tomorrow.

Next.... we just finished celebrating eid festival where large number of malaysians return home to thier hometowns or villages.
Ops Sikap was conducted to control road accidents.

The figure?
265 deaths in 7 days from 17,335 accidents.

You tell me, which is worse?

NOV
30th September 2009, 06:59 PM
Technology has grown... we no use cell phones everywhere, including when driving. DO we use hands free sets? No, thats inconvenient.

Can things get worse?
Yes of course!
From speaking on the cell phones, we have progressed to sending sms while driving!

Want to see what happens next?

Watch this: http://www.thedailybeast.com/video/item/graphic-british-anti-texting-psa

Warning: Its graphic!

NOV
30th September 2009, 07:37 PM
Pay Attention or Pay The Price!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T34EVBcrqQ&feature=email

Plum
30th September 2009, 07:48 PM
NOV, Road accidents are random. If your neighbour catches Swine flu, chances are you need to be extra-careful. There is no such correlation in the case of road accidents. The panic is explained thus.

But the real clincher is that statistics seem to suggest that normal flu takes more lives than Swine flu - a fact very triumphantly quoted by certain people to show off. However, even there we must remember that the averages for normal flu have been normalised over a long period of time, and a statistical comparison with the short sample space of swine flu doesnt make sense at all.

NOV
30th September 2009, 07:53 PM
my question is when we take so many precautions (including closing schools) for a pandemic, why not the same urgency for preventing road accidents, where the calamity rate is much higher.

app_engine
30th September 2009, 08:14 PM
Very good topic NOV!

While there are many factors responsible for accidents, only a few can be "attacked" for corrective measures.

For example, nothing can be done about "carelessness", the prime culprit, as it's something every human has and is not going to go away with organized effort / law etc. Though education from childhood helps, big spending on this (i.e. to try to prevent "carelessness") may not get much dividend quickly.

Those that can definitely be done are :

1. Improved road conditions with "built-in-idiot-proof" safety features. (e.g. no possibilty of opposite traffic to "meet", separate foot path and ability to cross only at specific points etc)

2. Strong rules / law (e.g. ban of driving under influence of alcohal)

3. Strict enforcement of procedures in granting license (Proper testing and screening)

4. Uncorrupt & severe punishment of violations (with the kind of volume and traffic in U.S., the accidents are a fraction compared to India, for e.g. This is one main reason; a ticket not only costs a lot of money but also spoils the driving record resulting in ongoing punishments like increase in insurance costs etc)

All these are within the gov control and they should have the willingness to implement these seriously, if they are concerned about the loss of lives / limbs etc.

NOV
1st October 2009, 05:50 AM
as a matter of fact a_p, I am not asking for, god forbid, govt interference.

its the common man - unnaipol oruvan - who need to make the difference.
sorry to say this, you brush off carelessness rather carelessly. :)

one needs to be 100% alert on the road. just like an airline pilot - not even an error of 0.001% is tolerated, because such an error costs lives.

MrIndia
2nd October 2009, 12:09 AM
its human mentality...
road accidents are in small chunks.. if u spend money in bar like 20$ a day ... in a month its like 600$

but if u lost or spend 600$ on one shopping.. it will look huge.

app_engine
2nd October 2009, 12:42 AM
as a matter of fact a_p, I am not asking for, god forbid, govt interference.

its the common man - unnaipol oruvan - who need to make the difference.
sorry to say this, you brush off carelessness rather carelessly. :)

one needs to be 100% alert on the road. just like an airline pilot - not even an error of 0.001% is tolerated, because such an error costs lives.

Hey, I'm not brushing off carelessness - just being practical that people will always tend to be careless unless someone is "controlling" them. Also, the tendency to break / circumvent rules seems to be inborn and unless severe punishment is administered, people don't seem to understand the benificiery effects of any restriction. OTOH, once they're scared to follow rules, they get used to it and it becomes a habit that comes naturally in course of time.

One of my relatives used to be / is a heavy cell phone user while driving. When he moved to NY state where it's restricted (only handsfree allowed), he initially had so much of irritation. There was this tendency to use when cop was not in sight. Also this big sigh of relief when he was out of NY state where he can latch on to his handset.

In a couple of years, however, he has changed and is now not using the handset even in MI :-) So, any discipline is felt difficult initially but once someone get used to it, they don't feel that way anymore - why, even start liking it.

Also it's always easy when someone / something else controls us, though self-control is definitely a higher virtue :-)

Comparison with a pilot on carefulness, IMO, is unfair. Unlike in the case of aircraft, on road you can only be <50% "careful" as there are tons of others who can potentially be careless. That's why governance plays a big role. (Governance is actually much more strict in the case of air traffic, just FYI. Also, there are many other facts like the degree of professional training the pilot gets, the natural limiting of the hours he flies, the high level of automation / safety features built on the aircraft etc that enhance carefulness).

NOV
2nd October 2009, 05:42 AM
I dont think govt can make much of difference in people's habits. Your relative seems to be an exception.

You know how strict are Singaporean laws.
Well, you expect its ppl to be disciplined for life too. But thats not to be.

The minute they step into Johore, they start littering, speeding, and most ridiculously purchasing large amounts of chewing gum. :rotfl:

I dont think there is a substitute to good bringing up.

app_engine
2nd October 2009, 07:06 PM
I dont think there is a substitute to good bringing up.

Completely agree with you!

However, what to do with all the "grown ups"?

Also, for every family that strives to instill good values in their children, there're 100 others who don't care :-( That's why community (or gov) control has become necessary.

Your very post says that some who exhibit crass lack of self-control in one place behave themselves properly in another (where someone else puts a noose around them). What'll they do if Johore ALSO has same restrictions?

Jyothsna
2nd October 2009, 07:24 PM
Lets take Malaysia as an example.

Over 70 deaths were reported over the last few months because of H1N1. There was nation-wide panic with ppl staying home, buying masks and hand wash soap like there was no tomorrow.

Next.... we just finished celebrating eid festival where large number of malaysians return home to thier hometowns or villages.
Ops Sikap was conducted to control road accidents.

The figure?
265 deaths in 7 days from 17,335 accidents.

You tell me, which is worse?

Gyani O pakkangalla itha pathi ezhuthi irunthar.. :(

padmanabha
3rd October 2009, 07:11 AM
:( 42 ppl were drowned when jalakanyaka capsized at thekkady.

tourists moved to one side of the boat on spotting wild animals and the boat capsized :cry:

instructions were not to the tourists before the journey :oops:

the boat is brand new-just four months old

the tragedy is that

none of the tourists were provided with life jackets :cry:

and they were lying inside the boat sealed
that means for the past four months, none of the the tourists were provided with life jackets-

they escaped because of mere luck-

If Kerala -The Gods own country-promotes tourism in this manner,
it will becomes Yama's won country :(

road accidents were very high
and also
the mentality to recuse the injured is very low-
:o deaths are mostly due to loss of blood- :shock:

no one would stop the vechicle to take the injured to the hospitals

the thought that it could happen to us -never come to their minds :o

Lambretta
17th December 2009, 09:58 PM
:shock: Geez, what an abysmally stupid b----!! can't believe there are such senseless drivers even in the UK with stringent driving rules! :evil: :banghead:

And she was actually the one driving for God's sake!! :roll: :|

Technology has grown... we no use cell phones everywhere, including when driving. DO we use hands free sets? No, thats inconvenient.

Can things get worse?
Yes of course!
From speaking on the cell phones, we have progressed to sending sms while driving!

Want to see what happens next?

Watch this: http://www.thedailybeast.com/video/item/graphic-british-anti-texting-psa

Warning: Its graphic!

app_engine
4th June 2010, 09:33 PM
Not a single day passed since last week without witnessing an accident spot during my drives and this is very unusual :-(

Almost each day forced a delay of 15 min to 1 hour on freeways due to some accident or other. I can't understand why such a thing during summer...

The worst one happened on Sunday which very closely missed our van.

We were actually rushing and I was driving around 75 mph on a 70 mile road on the left-most lane. As usual, I made sure that a gap of counting 1 - 2 is maintained between the vehicle before me.

However, all of a sudden a vehicle from the middle lane rushed into mine, right in front of me (poor fellow, he was avoiding a bar-b-q oven released on road -in his lane- by an idiotic truck).

With a typical reflex, applied the brakes, slowed down to 60 and avoided hitting the fellow in front of me :-) So far so good.

However, there was this impala who was almost tailgating me at a similar speed (and possibly wasn't prepared to brake like me). As I was watching on the rear-view mirror - and my wife and son turning back to see the horror - that fellow tried to go to the extreme left in the grass land between EAST (opposite traffic) & WEST (us) interstate freeways, lost control, took a 90 degree turn, crossed the land between and slammed on two cars in the opposite direction :-( :-( :-(

It took us a few minutes to recover from the shock of witnessing the whole episode, while I continued to drive (and listening to the "archanais" for speeding from both wife and son).

app_engine
4th June 2010, 09:41 PM
And this news made me revive this thread :

http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=571435&disdate=6/4/2010

TN is the 2nd worst in road accidents in India :-( They're talking about tightening the licensing methods.

app_engine
4th June 2010, 09:44 PM
As I got my 2W license in TN and 4W in Kerala, I can talk a little bit about the difference between the states.

Kerala is almost like U.S., meticulously conducting written test for L and ground-road tests for the regular license. Reasonably strict and rejections are just too many (I'm an eye-witness to them).

OTOH, no 'tests' are practically needed for TN :-( For L, you just need to be there in RTO office - sign. For the permanent license, even that's not needed, if sufficient time has passed since the L and you pay the money - you get it :-(

(I've seen this in 80's, 90's and also in 2003)

suba
14th June 2010, 05:34 PM
:)

self realisation - we never do it
awareness campaign - we ignore
rules - we blame government
fines - we blame government
safety measures - we blame government

We neither think of ourselves but always blame and complain on people who think for us.

:)

app_engine
4th July 2010, 08:55 AM
http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=578015&disdate=7/4/2010

Tanker accident kills > 220 people because of fire :-(