PDA

View Full Version : Awareness campaign

pavalamani pragasam
6th October 2009, 09:52 PM
Let us dedicate this thread to create an awareness about what is happening to our environment, how can the ill effects of pollution be stemmed, the service of the TV channels to be sought to awaken the people to the imminent dangers/health hazards, to request the governmental bodies to plan and execute effectively to prevent further deterioration etc. Let me start with my home town. Here is an article in today's The Hindu:
http://www.hinduonnet.com/2009/10/06/stories/2009100658830300.htm
Actually day before yesterday my hubby and I happened to travel in bike through this exact stretch in the night and I woke up in the morning with a running nose and severe headache- I am very very sensitive to dust allergy. My antihistamine medication continues today too and slow recovery from the allergic reaction has left me completely debilitated.
At the rate of growing pollution levels not only people already sensitive like me will suffer and the whole population shall become victims of all the ills of respiratory infections and what not! :shock:

app_engine
7th October 2009, 12:44 AM
மயிலே மயிலே இறகு போடு technology won't work.

Severe gov rules are needed for pollution control. While individual responsibility is definitely there, in a relatively poor and less educated country, more has to come from the gov by way of strict regulations and implementation of them (particularly in the case of automobiles).

LA had one of the most horrendous situations in this aspect (the term smog was coined from this situation - smoke + fog). They had brought down so heavily by insisting on severe emission restrictions on automobiles.

Why, our own Delhi had such a worse level of pollution / SPM etc prior to the regulations that paved the way (or laid the pipelines) for CNG. I think MDU needs CNG without delay! (and a few trees that people should plant - trees that typcially need less water, like the lovely vEppa maram)