PDA

View Full Version : Choreography - The soul of a Song visually

Aalavanthan
22nd October 2009, 05:54 PM
I would like to start a new thread based on Choreography. It has been an important factor in the modern years to have lavishing costume along with great footsteps to make the song a massive hit. With the music channels, soon to be or already rocking up our televisions, there has been more pressure on the choreographers to bring the soul out of a song on screen.

Be it Chandralekha, with 50 huge drums in a set or be it "malarndhu malaradha" from Paasa malar, the role of a choreographer determines the best outcome of the song. There has been many new comers called as "dance masters" but there only some who are called as masters in dance !

Prabhu Deva
Raju Sundaram
Sundaram
Raghavendra Lawrence
Raghuram
Kalyan
"Cool" Jayanth
Kala
Brinda and so on

This will be space for all dancers out there in hub, the dance lovers and the guys who cant dance due to hip problems to discuss their likes, dislikes, disappointment of a wonderful song to be so bad on screens, a well executed songs, etc.

The hubbers are well equipped to discuss about every aspect of a film and I thought why not to have a separate thread for choreography which is the only thing that makes people to get up from their seat and dance along with their favourite heroes

Come on... Clap :)

PS: I tried my level best to search for an existing thread but in vein.

Thirumaran
22nd October 2009, 05:58 PM
Come on... Clap :)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Jyothsna
22nd October 2009, 06:02 PM
I like prabudeva more than Raju as a dancer. When it comes to choreography my vote goes to Raju Sundaram :D

Prabudeva steps ellam avarala than antha perfectionoda ada mudiyum. Manamadurai song interlude la avar adarathukkum group dancers adarathukkum neraya difference irukkum.

Enakku therinja varaikkum Raju tha ovvoru actor kum thani thaniya style set panni koduthathu.

Aalavanthan
22nd October 2009, 06:05 PM
I like prabudeva more than Raju as a dancer. When it comes to choreography my vote goes to Raju Sundaram :D

Yeah true maybe, I cannot think of someone else in place of Prabhu Deva (as an actor) and win National Award for Prabhu Deva (choreographer) for Vennilavae from Minsara Kanavu.

Jyothsna
22nd October 2009, 06:11 PM

Yeah true maybe, I cannot think of someone else in place of Prabhu Deva (as an actor) and win National Award for Prabhu Deva (choreographer) for Vennilavae from Minsara Kanavu.

PD oda choreography la enakku romba romba pidicha song athu :2thumbsup:,antha pattu ketkum potthe ovvoru step m mind la odum.

Aalavanthan
22nd October 2009, 06:17 PM
PD oda choreography la enakku romba romba pidicha song athu :2thumbsup:,antha pattu ketkum potthe ovvoru step m mind la odum.

This song is the "twist" of the movie IMO. The choreography was an important one too. This song transforms the friendly affection between the two to love affair. The sequence of the song couldnt be better in any ways ! It was dark with the full moon light and they both are alone with some road sleepers. Even the song had lot of scope for the choreography with its beat (thanks to ARR) for PD to mark a point of class !

will write more..

app_engine
22nd October 2009, 06:47 PM
or be it "malarndhu malaradha" from Paasa malar, the role of a choreographer determines the best outcome of the song.

Are you serious? :lol:

VinodKumar's
22nd October 2009, 07:04 PM
Gud thread Aalavanthaan :clap: :clap:

naan open pannalamnu nenatchikittu iruntha oru rendu thread la onna open pannitinga ....

Aalavanthan
22nd October 2009, 07:05 PM
or be it "malarndhu malaradha" from Paasa malar, the role of a choreographer determines the best outcome of the song.

Ofcourse.. The camera angle, the actor's position and even a tiny little prop that is being used for a song will/might be an idea of the choreo..

VinodKumar's
22nd October 2009, 07:05 PM
Yeah true maybe, I cannot think of someone else in place of Prabhu Deva (as an actor)

PD as an actor :thumbsup:

avaru pannura chinna chinna comedies lam super ah irrukum :clap:

Aalavanthan
22nd October 2009, 07:07 PM

Talk about comedies, even he has used that concept in Ullam Kollai Pogudhey.. I think I never laughed harder for a song after watching "Puyale Puyale Suthi varum puyale".. not sure who the choreo is though.. will diggify :)

Raikkonen
22nd October 2009, 07:09 PM
michael jackson option-eh illaye?

app_engine
22nd October 2009, 07:11 PM

Ofcourse.. The camera angle, the actor's position and even a tiny little prop that is being used for a song will/might be an idea of the choreo..

Well, you have some interesting "beliefs" :-)

NOM! Enjoy & continue :-)

VinodKumar's
22nd October 2009, 07:12 PM

Talk about comedies, even he has used that concept in Ullam Kollai Pogudhey.. I think I never laughed harder for a song after watching "Puyale Puyale Suthi varum puyale".. not sure who the choreo is though.. will diggify :)

antha songukku avar thaan choreographer ah irrukum illaya :roll:

ArulprakasH
22nd October 2009, 07:13 PM
PD, RS are my favourite Choreographers and Lawerence to certain extent...

In Recent times, Kannadasan Kaarai song choreo in Anjathey movie is very enjoyable..

Aalavanthan
22nd October 2009, 07:14 PM
michael jackson option-eh illaye?
First option-ae avar thaanae !

VinodKumar's
22nd October 2009, 07:17 PM
Also aatthichoodi song choreo was very nice ...

Appu s
22nd October 2009, 07:25 PM
as a choreographer raju sundaram worked with most of the Top directors than Prabhu deva.

Aalavanthan
22nd October 2009, 07:35 PM

Well, you have some interesting "beliefs" :-)

NOM! Enjoy & continue :-)
Oh I'm sorry.. My bad.. I should have put the title correctly - "Choreography for Movies and not for Stage Competitions " :wink:

Cheers !

VENKIRAJA
22nd October 2009, 08:35 PM
Punnagai mannan theme. Matter over!

Avadi to America
22nd October 2009, 10:41 PM
as a choreographer raju sundaram worked with most of the Top directors than Prabhu deva.

PD also worked most of the top actors like rajini, kamal, vijayakanth, prabhu, karthik,vijay etc. However, Raju sundram should be the top choregrapher....

Jyothsna
23rd October 2009, 02:51 PM
Also aatthichoodi song choreo was very nice ...

It was choreographed by Shobi i think..

AudazJay
23rd October 2009, 06:00 PM

PD also worked most of the top actors like rajini, kamal, vijayakanth, prabhu, karthik,vijay etc. However, Raju sundram should be the top choregrapher....

The lack of choreography work for PD is probably because he was concentrating more on his career as an actor than as a dancer/choreographer. If Chikku Bukku and subsequently Kadhalan had not happened, he would definitely have been the best choreographer today.

Raikkonen
23rd October 2009, 06:25 PM
another advantage pd enjoys is the addition of comedic element in his songs..

puyale puyale (ullam kollai poguthe) for example... :rotfl2:

Aalavanthan
23rd October 2009, 10:30 PM
The lack of choreography work for PD is probably because he was concentrating more on his career as an actor than as a dancer/choreographer. If Chikku Bukku and subsequently Kadhalan had not happened, he would definitely have been the best choreographer today.

sila paeru ozhungaa irundhaalum, matha makkal avangalai kedukardhu sagajaamaagi vittadhu.. Adhuku saanru PD hero-vaaga nadika vaithadhu.. Indhu was not the best start for PD but the songs in Kadhalan made its verdict a hit. He should have had his primary target as a top choreographer and do some roles which fits his character (like Minsara Kanavu), kadaisiyila avarum super hero va ponadhae avaroda "ta ta" in tamil movies ku kaaranam.. IMO

My another fav is Pukaar ! Dancing with one of the top stars (or dancers) should be quite interesting. Even Kamal has showed his regrets for not acting with Madhuri.. Guess PD was lucky there :)

Aalavanthan
23rd October 2009, 10:31 PM
Aanestu enna solla vareengo :?

Theme choreo yaaru ? Raghuram or Sundaram ??

Jyothsna
24th October 2009, 06:48 PM
another advantage pd enjoys is the addition of comedic element in his songs..

puyale puyale (ullam kollai poguthe) for example... :rotfl2:

:lol: athe mathiri steps mattum nu illama PD,RS 2 peroda choreography layume comical touches irukkum..

VENKIRAJA
24th October 2009, 07:20 PM
Aanestu enna solla vareengo :?

Theme choreo yaaru ? Raghuram or Sundaram ??

aanasta?
i yaam vengi. yArukku theriyum..

HonestRaj
24th October 2009, 09:20 PM
vengi.. read like this:

ah.. next'u enna solla vareengo

Aalavanthan
26th October 2009, 05:10 PM
:lol: appadi ellam onnumillaingo.. Rendu paerum Koundar avathar vecchirundhadhaalae kanfuse aayittaen..

Jyothsna
27th October 2009, 06:44 PM
Polladavan, 'padichu paarthean' song chreography yaaru..

Aalavanthan
27th October 2009, 07:04 PM
The internet world says its Baskar , a product from Prabhu Deva's ! He has also done his bit in Aegan it seems.

Jyothsna
27th October 2009, 07:06 PM
The internet world says its Baskar , a product from Prabhu Deva's ! He has also done his bit in Aegan it seems.

Oh..Antha pattula oru interlude ku ovvoruthara dhanush kuda sernthu aduvanga,antha romba nala pannirupparu.

Aalavanthan
27th October 2009, 07:10 PM

Oh..Antha pattula oru interlude ku ovvoruthara dhanush kuda sernthu aduvanga,antha romba nala pannirupparu.

The entire song is a result of how energetic and how dedicated Dhanush is. The dance steps will be equal to the beat that GVP had given. It will be like a roller coaster and I am sure only the young legs would have choreographed such a song.

Neenga solra maadhiri, 2nd interlude-la ovvourtharum Dhanush kooda aadirupaango.. Dhanush mattum fullaa aadi aaga vendiya soozhnilai.. Idhu thappaankuthum illai, break-western dance-um illai. Just a fusion where the friends of bride's brother are all fully drunk and want to express :)

Jyothsna
27th October 2009, 07:22 PM
Antha payyan appuram ethum choreograph pannalaya..

Bala (Karthik)
27th October 2009, 07:26 PM

Yeah, i love this song and choreography... Thanus nalla aadiyiruppaapla..

Jyothsna
28th October 2009, 03:50 PM
Raju's interview in Idlebrain.

How do you think songs should be choreographed?
I feel that expressions and feel is more important while choreographing the song than the body movements in terms of steps. The songs choreographed with right expressions would look fresh even if you watch the song after 5 years. But the songs composed with just steps would be ignored by the public in no time.

How do you compose dances for any song?

I come to the sets and listen to the music. As per the music I compose the steps instantaneously. I get the best work out of me through that way.

Don't you do any rehearsals?

I don't prefer to do rehearsals. I believe that dance should come out spontaneously as per the music. But a few directors make it a point that I rehearse for their songs.

Are there any rehearsed songs that got you tremendous applause?

Yes. Harerama (Okkadu) and Dum Dumare (Arjun).

Your brother Prabhudeva made it big both in terms of choreography and direction. How do you feel about it?

Prabhu Deva is an excellent dancer and excellent director. He has strong technique, does hard work and is brilliant. I am really proud of him.

Being a brother, don't you want to compete with him?

No. I know that Prabhu Deva is the best. I could never be equal to him. Hence, I would strive achieve next level.

You have three choreographers in your house (Sundaram, Prabhu Deva and Raju Sundaram). How do you differentiate with each other?

Let me give you the example of Bombay film. Father choreographed Kannanule song. Prabhudeva choreographed Hamma song and I choreographer Kuchikuchi Kunamma song. You can observe that each one of us have our own style and signature. Hence we never need to compete with each other.

Do you have any suggestions for the upcoming choreographers?

I would suggest them to use technology effectively in order to enhance the choreography. Depending on the music, using the movements of camera, lenses, trolleys, cranes, costumes, locations and sets etc, a choreographer can add a lot.

Aalavanthan
28th October 2009, 04:03 PM
I would suggest them to use technology effectively in order to enhance the choreography. Depending on the music, using the movements of camera, lenses, trolleys, cranes, costumes, locations and sets etc, a choreographer can add a lot.

enga Thiru.App_Engine, koopidunga avarai.. :)