PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes a mass masala? Or an 'entertaining' film.

Plum
13th November 2009, 03:23 PM
PR, equa - idhu namma voodu. nInga unga ishtathukku ukkarndhukittu pEsunga, paduthukittu pEsunga, nadandhukittu pEsunga, pEsO pEsunnu pEsunga.

leosimha
13th November 2009, 03:33 PM
:rotfl: :lol:

MADDY
13th November 2009, 03:34 PM
for me, Entertaining = Madhavan/Ajith nadippu, maniratnam iyakkam, rahman isai......<turning>aaan, tamanna irukkradhu um sethukkonga :lol:

Bala (Karthik)
13th November 2009, 03:35 PM
"Isai na, mmm isai!"

leosimha
13th November 2009, 03:41 PM
enna plum saaru....

mass masala-naa ennanu theriyaadhu,.,,,,edhukku topic open pannradhu,,,, :rotfl:

P_R
13th November 2009, 03:42 PM
என்னிக்கு நாம ஆக்கப்பூர்வமா செயல்பட்டிருக்கோம். யாராவது வந்து வரையறைகள் போடட்டும். அது எப்பிடி தப்பு'னு counterexample சகிதம் களத்துல இறங்குவோம்.

leosimha
13th November 2009, 03:42 PM
என்னிக்கு நாம ஆக்கப்பூர்வமா செயல்பட்டிருக்கோம். யாராவது வந்து வரையறைகள் போடட்டும். அது எப்பிடி தப்பு'னு counterexample சகிதம் களத்துல இறங்குவோம்.

ramarasan.....films are mass masala films....entertaining films....

kid-glove
13th November 2009, 03:46 PM
The second part of the title - an 'entertaining' film. - doesn't sit nicely with mass vs class dissection (which is again vague and unclear).

A punchline, glance, or walk of a Star could be entertainment to some. Au contraire, Mise-en-scene symbolism or plot devices like Macguffin could also be, to some.

leosimha
13th November 2009, 03:48 PM
Au contraire, Mise-en-scene symbolism or plot devices like Macguffin could also be, to some. :!: :?: :idea: :arrow:

Bala (Karthik)
13th November 2009, 03:52 PM
The second part of the title - an 'entertaining' film. - doesn't sit nicely with mass vs class dissection (which is again vague and unclear).

A punchline, glance, or walk of a Star could be entertainment to some. Au contraire, Mise-en-scene symbolism or plot devices like Macguffin could also be, to some.
This piece dhaan

I don;t think anybody wants to watch a film to get bored!

Plum
13th November 2009, 03:53 PM
Ok, going the PR route:

Gilly is very entertaining

The only justification I can think for this statement is that Adam Gilchrist is an entertaining batsmen.
Now, you dissect, deflate and defang this opinion in the context of Gilly, the film :-)

equanimus
13th November 2009, 03:57 PM
இதைப் பற்றி பேச ஆரம்பிப்பதற்கு முன், சில அடிப்படை விஷயங்களில் ஒரு ஒப்புதலுக்கு வருவது தெளிவு.

1. எல்லாமே entertainment தான், மசாலா படங்கள் மட்டுமல்ல. So, "எது entertainment" என்றெல்லாம் விளக்குவது தன்னை விளக்கிக் கொள்வது போலத் தான். (ப்ளம் ஜாக்கிரதையாக entertaining 'ஐ single quotes 'இல் போட்டிருக்கார்.)

2. மசாலா படம் 'ங்கறது என்ன? அதிலிருக்கும் கூறுகளை, அதன் அழகியலை, நாம் ஒழுங்காக புரிந்து கொண்டிருக்கிறோமா? இது நமக்கு நாமே கேட்டுக் கொள்ள வேண்டிய கேள்வி.

P_R
13th November 2009, 03:59 PM
Ok, going the PR route:

Gilly is very entertaining

The only justification I can think for this statement is that Adam Gilchrist is an entertaining batsmen. :lol:

leosimha
13th November 2009, 03:59 PM
masala - kuthu songs, item songs....below avg to avg story.....could become a hit if the people like story and due to its screenplay...

Plum
13th November 2009, 04:01 PM
equa vandha dhAn oru dijipline varudhu. Good framework equa.
'Entertaining'-nu pOttadhukku oru reason irukku
1) As Bala asked, entertain AgAma padam pArka pOromA?
2) So, what is entertaining to whom is an interesting question
A) When people defend 'mass masala' movies, what is the entertaining factor that makes them defend so
B) When people defend 'deep thought' movies, what is the entertaining factor.

Ipdi kOdu pOttuttA, rendu side-um thAndAma maidain paNNalAm

leosimha
13th November 2009, 04:02 PM
for some horror is entertaining...
then thriller is entertaining
comedy is entertaining...

etc etc...

P_R
13th November 2009, 04:07 PM
2. மசாலா படம் 'ங்கறது என்ன? அதிலிருக்கும் கூறுகளை, அதன் அழகியலை, நாம் ஒழுங்காக புரிந்து கொண்டிருக்கிறோமா? இது நமக்கு நாமே கேட்டுக் கொள்ள வேண்டிய கேள்வி.

இங்கிருந்து ஆரம்பிக்கலாம்: பொதுவாக 'மசாலா படங்கள்'

-->புத்திக்கு அதிக சிரமம் தராதவை
--> பார்வையாளனின் கவனத்தை அதிகம் நம்பாதவை
--> உள்ளர்த்தங்கள் இல்லாதவை.
-->மாறுபட்ட வாசிப்பு சாத்தியங்கள் இல்லாதவை
மறுபார்வையில், வேறெந்த புது அனுபவத்தையையும் தராமல், முதல் முறை பார்த்து அனுபவித்த உணர்வையே (அது 'குதூகல'மாக இருந்தாக வேண்டிய கட்டாயமில்லை) மீண்டும் மேலெழச்செய்பவை

Plum
13th November 2009, 04:09 PM
So, PKS out of the ring?

P_R
13th November 2009, 04:14 PM
equa vandha dhAn oru dijipline varudhu. Good framework equa.
'Entertaining'-nu pOttadhukku oru reason irukku
1) As Bala asked, entertain AgAma padam pArka pOromA?
Well yes. I will not call that entertainment.

Now this all encompassing definition of entertainment is problematic for me. It is like the word beautiful. I get really impatient with people who seriously say my grandma is beautiful and Mother teresa is beautiful etc. I mean, use another word. Or if I have the wrong word, then give me that will exclude the abovementioned two noble souls and include the heroini of this year's best Mass movie. Eitherway we know at some level - not saying this is easy to articulate, and that is what we shall attempt to here - the distinction exists. The distinction is rather amorphous and is composed faced with exceptions to exceptions which have exceptions. But that does not mean the distinction itself does not exist.

Raikkonen
13th November 2009, 04:20 PM
yerkanave oru demplate antha thread-la potten.. athai purakanichittainga.. :lol:

masala - 2-3 damukkudappa dance, climax ratha kalari, double meaning dialogues, main theme is about hero challenging high level villain (rowdy/mla/rowdy mla). caters to hardcore fanbase.. tirupachi for example (strictly follows the template)

entertaining - might or might not contain the attributes stated above, but enjoyed by everyone.. cough*ayan*cough..

19thmay
13th November 2009, 04:22 PM
masala movies-kum midnight masala-vukum kandipa samandham irrukanum-nu avasiyam illa! illa? :roll:

Plum
13th November 2009, 04:31 PM
seri, distinction-ai nIngaLE puttu puttu vechudunga

Bala (Karthik)
13th November 2009, 04:38 PM
Now this all encompassing definition of entertainment is problematic for me. It is like the word beautiful. I get really impatient with people who seriously say my grandma is beautiful and Mother teresa is beautiful etc. I mean, use another word. Or if I have the wrong word, then give me that will exclude the abovementioned two noble souls and include the heroini of this year's best Mass movie. Eitherway we know at some level - not saying this is easy to articulate, and that is what we shall attempt to here - the distinction exists. The distinction is rather amorphous and is composed faced with exceptions to exceptions which have exceptions. But that does not mean the distinction itself does not exist.
:rotfl2: Avinga solradhum naanga solradhum onna :twisted:
Engaging, engrossing nu sollunga, entertaining nu solladheenga ndreenga...

MADDY
13th November 2009, 04:45 PM
masala movies-kum midnight masala-vukum kandipa samandham irrukanum-nu avasiyam illa! illa? :roll:

adhu kilaas maams :wink:

Raikkonen
13th November 2009, 04:47 PM

irukku.. :lol:

equanimus
13th November 2009, 04:55 PM
Now this all encompassing definition of entertainment is problematic for me.
Oh yes, I too find it problematic in other circumstances. I can't call most of my favourite films as merely entertaining. There's invariably so much more to those films. But in this discussion, there's a bigger problem. The sense in which "entertaining" is used in this kind of discussion is just too close to saying, "to hell with others, I like it this way!" Which is exactly how the so-called serious film watchers think of the films they like. That's why, I think, it's important to make this point (even if it oversimplifes some things). And as you say, the distinction is amorphous (very much so, I'd argue) and the word has very different connotations for different people (at different times). For instance, I think I'd not find it disagreeable if someone says Hey! Ram is not "an entertaining film," but would likely disagree if the same is said of, say, kuruthippunal (of course I'm intentionally picking a film just as serious as the former).

Eitherway we know at some level - not saying this is easy to articulate, and that is what we shall attempt to here - the distinction exists.
Incidentally, this is exactly what I wanted to say in response to your post (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1961657#1961657) in the other thread. We cannot escape by fudging on the defintion of the genre! Much as we like 'அயன்' and think it's massy and entertaining, it's obvious that it's not like 'கில்லி' or 'தூள்' in some ways. I certainly do think 'அயன்' is a proper masala film, but it differs from the above films in certain ways and I suppose we must be acutely aware of it.
Of course, you also say, "தனியொருவனுக்கு படம் சிக்கவில்லையெனில் genreஐ ஒழித்திடுவோம்." But I'm trying to see if there's some middle ground.

kid-glove
13th November 2009, 05:11 PM
If reactions are influenced by prior experience, expectation, cultivated taste, and so on, then what human experience escape this. Endorsing a view that responses (to a film, or a scene) are subjective implicitly mean the inference are (subjective) too, in which case excepting 'Entertainment' is a Non-Sequitur. Any distinct quality (of filmmaking) that holds attention to that particular person would obviously be his idea/sense of Entertainment. And I don't mean to put it snobbishly. This applies to Symbolism in a Mahendran film just as much in Flying Frog Splash in World Wrestling.

kid-glove
13th November 2009, 05:22 PM
Or a Cigarette flip by Rajini.

equanimus
13th November 2009, 05:23 PM
Any distinct quality (of filmmaking) that holds attention to that particular person would obviously be his idea/sense of Entertainment. And I don't mean to put it snobbishly.
Thilak,
True, if the word is intended to connote a general (all-inclusive) liking towards something. But when the idea is to differentiate between various reactions to various films, it is undeniably a very useful (and hence very common) word. வார்த்தையா முக்கியம்!

kid-glove
13th November 2009, 06:14 PM
The word is not the problem. But - The sense in which "entertaining" is used in this kind of discussion is just too close to saying, "to hell with others, I like it this way!" - as you put, is the problem. It works both ways.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
13th November 2009, 06:57 PM
ridiculous thread! can this be defined? even generically??

equanimus
13th November 2009, 08:39 PM

இங்கிருந்து ஆரம்பிக்கலாம்: பொதுவாக 'மசாலா படங்கள்'

-->புத்திக்கு அதிக சிரமம் தராதவை
--> பார்வையாளனின் கவனத்தை அதிகம் நம்பாதவை
--> உள்ளர்த்தங்கள் இல்லாதவை.
-->மாறுபட்ட வாசிப்பு சாத்தியங்கள் இல்லாதவை
மறுபார்வையில், வேறெந்த புது அனுபவத்தையையும் தராமல், முதல் முறை பார்த்து அனுபவித்த உணர்வையே (அது 'குதூகல'மாக இருந்தாக வேண்டிய கட்டாயமில்லை) மீண்டும் மேலெழச்செய்பவை
பெரும்பாலும் வேறுபடுகிறேன் என்று நினைக்கிறேன்.

முக்கியமாக வேறுபடுவது, நீங்கள் மசாலா படங்களை ஒரு tradition 'ஆக அணுகவில்லை என்பதில். அதாவது, நீங்கள் மசாலா படங்களை வரையறுத்துக் கொள்ளும் விதம் universal 'ஆக உள்ளது. (நம்மவர்கள் எளிமையான அம்சங்களுடன் எடுக்கப்பட்ட Hollywood blockbuster படங்களை Hollywood masala என்பதுண்டு. மேலுள்ள வரையறையின்படி பார்த்தால், அவ்வாறு கூறுவது சரியென்று ஆகிவிடும். ஆனால் அது சரியா என்ன?)

இரண்டாவதாக (முதலாவதாக கூறியதுடன் தொடர்ந்தே இருந்தாலும்), ஒரு வித எளிமைத்தனம் (உள்ளர்த்தங்களும், மாறுபட்ட வாசிப்புக்கான சாத்தியங்களும் இல்லாமை) தான் மசாலா படங்களின் பிரதானமான அம்சம் என்பது போல் ஆகிவிடுகிறது. இதை நிராகரிக்க, உள்ளர்த்தங்கள் உள்ள, (அல்லது மாறுபட்ட வாசிப்புக்கான சாத்தியமுள்ள) மசாலா படங்களை சுட்டிக் காட்டும் சிரமத்தை (கண்டிப்பாகக் கடினம் தான்!) இப்போதைக்கு எடுத்துக்கொள்ள போவதில்லை. நான் கூற வருவது, இந்த மலினப்படுத்துதல் குறிப்பாக மசாலா சினிமாவுடன் சம்மந்தப் படுத்த முடியாது என்று மட்டும் தான் கூறுகிறேன்.

P_R
14th November 2009, 01:34 PM
முக்கியமாக வேறுபடுவது, நீங்கள் மசாலா படங்களை ஒரு tradition 'ஆக அணுகவில்லை என்பதில். அதாவது, நீங்கள் மசாலா படங்களை வரையறுத்துக் கொள்ளும் விதம் universal 'ஆக உள்ளது. விவாதத்தைத் துவங்கும் ஒரு ஆரம்பப்புள்ளியாக முன்வைத்தேன். மரபு (ஜெமொ சொல் alert !) என்று ஒரு இருப்பதால் அது பொதுமைப்படுத்துதலுக்கு அப்பார்ப்பட்டதா ? மரபின் தொடர்ச்சியைப் பற்றி மிகுந்த பிரக்ஞையுடன் அவை உருவாக்கப்படுகின்றன என்று வைத்துக்கொண்டாலும், ஒரு படைப்பை வகைப்படுத்துவதற்கு என் வரையறைகள் ஆரம்பமாக இருக்கலாம் என்றே கருதுகிறேன். இல்லையா ?

இந்த மலினப்படுத்துதல் குறிப்பாக மசாலா சினிமாவுடன் சம்மந்தப் படுத்த முடியாது என்று மட்டும் தான்
கூறுகிறேன். எளிமை என்பது மசாலாப்படத்துக்கு தேவையானது, போதுமானது அல்ல (necessary but not sufficient). அன்பே சிவம் மிக எளிய படம்.

Vivasaayi
14th November 2009, 01:43 PM
Masala movie - made with a template.

joe
14th November 2009, 02:09 PM
equa, P_R,
மசாலா படங்களின் தன்மைகளில் ஒன்று ...

இங்கு எழுத்துக்களில் நீங்கள் பயன் படுத்தும் பின் நவீனத்துவம் இருக்க கூடாது :lol:

P_R
14th November 2009, 02:20 PM
:lol:
அதைத் தான் நானும் சொல்றேன். ஈக்வா ஒத்துக்க மாட்டேங்கறார்.

btw, கிழிஞ்சிது ! ரொம்ப எளிமையா எழுதறதா நினைச்சுகிட்டு எழுதியிருந்தேன் :oops:

ஈக்வா, trope, denouement, set-piece, plot device - அப்பிடிங்கறதுக்கு எல்லாம் தமிழ்ச்சொற்கள் தேடிக்கிட்டு இருக்கார். கிடைச்சதும் பாருங்க, சும்மா சுழட்டி சுழட்டி அடிப்பார் :-)

equanimus
14th November 2009, 06:47 PM
விவாதத்தைத் துவங்கும் ஒரு ஆரம்பப்புள்ளியாக முன்வைத்தேன். மரபு (ஜெமொ சொல் alert !) என்று ஒரு இருப்பதால் அது பொதுமைப்படுத்துதலுக்கு அப்பார்ப்பட்டதா ? மரபின் தொடர்ச்சியைப் பற்றி மிகுந்த பிரக்ஞையுடன் அவை உருவாக்கப்படுகின்றன என்று வைத்துக்கொண்டாலும், ஒரு படைப்பை வகைப்படுத்துவதற்கு என் வரையறைகள் ஆரம்பமாக இருக்கலாம் என்றே கருதுகிறேன். இல்லையா ?
சரி தான். மசாலா படங்கள் பொதுவாக இப்படி எல்லாம் இருக்கின்றன என்று கூறலாம் என்று தான் நானும் நினைக்கிறேன். ஆனால் இங்கே அதற்கு மாறாக அதன் சாரத்தைப் பற்றி மட்டும் பேசலாம் என்று தோன்றுகிறது.

'சுப்ரமணியபுரம்' போன்ற ஒரு படம் எந்த விதத்தில் இந்த கூறுகளிலிருந்து மசாலா படங்களை விட விலகியிருக்கின்றது? இது subjective 'ஆன ஒரு கேள்வி தான். (அந்தப் படத்தைப் பற்றி உங்கள் மதிப்பீடு தெரிந்ததானால் என்னால் இந்தக் கேள்வியை முன்வைக்க முடிகிறது.) வரையறைகள் பிரதானமாக qualitative 'ஆக இருப்பதனால் தான் இந்தச் சிக்கல். இதனாலேயே கூட, இந்தத் திசையில் செல்லாமல் இருப்பது உபயோகமாக இருக்குமில்லையா?

இந்த மலினப்படுத்துதல் குறிப்பாக மசாலா சினிமாவுடன் சம்மந்தப் படுத்த முடியாது என்று மட்டும் தான்
கூறுகிறேன். எளிமை என்பது மசாலாப்படத்துக்கு தேவையானது, போதுமானது அல்ல (necessary but not sufficient). அன்பே சிவம் மிக எளிய படம்.
Incidentally, இது நான் போன post 'லயே சொல்ல நினைத்தது. Since this discussion is on "what consitutes masala," I think we can push it more along the lines of identifying/talking about various B => A implications (where A is masala) rather than the A => B implications.

equanimus
14th November 2009, 06:50 PM
ஈக்வா, trope, denouement, set-piece, plot device - அப்பிடிங்கறதுக்கு எல்லாம் தமிழ்ச்சொற்கள் தேடிக்கிட்டு இருக்கார். கிடைச்சதும் பாருங்க, சும்மா சுழட்டி சுழட்டி அடிப்பார் :-)
:lol: உண்மையிலேயே, நிறையச் சொற்கள் பிடிபட மாட்டேன் என்கின்றன. அதனால் என்ன என்று அப்படியே ஆங்காங்கே English words சொருகி விட வேண்டியது தான்!

equanimus
14th November 2009, 07:55 PM
Vivasaayi,
There are a countless number of films that are based on two or three templates of love stories. If this were to be true, why is it that we don't call them masala films? There's a certain mode in which masala films operate, and it's precisely that mode which registers as masala in the audience's mind.

Vivasaayi
14th November 2009, 08:06 PM
Vivasaayi,
There are a countless number of films that are based on two or three templates of love stories. If this were to be true, why is it that we don't call them masala films? There's a certain mode in which masala films operate, and it's precisely that mode which registers as masala in the audience's mind.

template - 5 songs,2 fight,1...* villain,1...* hero,kuthu paatu,punch dialogue esra esra esra

equanimus
14th November 2009, 11:06 PM
template - 5 songs,2 fight,1...* villain,1...* hero,kuthu paatu,punch dialogue esra esra esra
Vivasaayi,
See, the parameters are getting blurred now. (And things like kuththup pAttu have more to do with certain trends that surface during different times rather than the core essence of masala films.) 5 songs and 2 fight sequences are such regular items in most of our films. I'm not arguing that all of our films have all these elements, but just that most of them have most of these. Even a mellow director Vasanth has these in his films.

The point I'm trying to make is this definition misses the forest for the trees. Rather than talking about what a masala film is like, you're talking about certain key elements you'll find in it.

equanimus
14th November 2009, 11:16 PM
[tscii:10b056b5d7][/tscii:10b056b5d7]Let me also link to this excellent, expansive essay (http://satyamshot.wordpress.com/2009/04/08/what-is-masala-cinema/) on Masala Cinema by a popular blogger called Satyam. In my reading, a significant part of the essay is closely tied specifically to Hindi masala cinema and cannot be directly related to Tamil cinema. Actually, I think Tamil masala cinema isn't anywhere nearly as “rich” as the Hindi masala film tradition that the essay discusses in great detail. But that's for later.

Vivasaayi
15th November 2009, 08:15 PM
Vivasaayi,
See, the parameters are getting blurred now. (And things like kuththup pAttu have more to do with certain trends that surface during different times rather than the core essence of masala films.) 5 songs and 2 fight sequences are such regular items in most of our films. I'm not arguing that all of our films have all these elements, but just that most of them have most of these. Even a mellow director Vasanth has these in his films.

The point I'm trying to make is this definition misses the forest for the trees. Rather than talking about what a masala film is like, you're talking about certain key elements you'll find in it.

equa,

Some movies where these ingredients are added just for the sake of commercial viability might look decent or even very good.That depends upon the talent of the director who makes those ingredients seamlesly gel with the screenplay.

But to separate masala movies from the movies which belongs to a regular genre(romance,comedy etc) - I feel its the addition of some ingredients which the market feels to be necessary and just done for the sake of the market.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
15th November 2009, 09:23 PM
sad end, lead roles saagura maathiri varrathu masala genre kku ok ya??

trend kkum masala kkum enna sammantham? for example now madurai rowdiyism/arivaal culture is a famous trend.

masala nnu solrathaala pala crowd-pulling matters oda combination irukkanum, can we keep it as a general rule? (music, glamour girls, fights and (seperate)comedy tracks, ect)

mass nnu solrathaala we cant include films like thambi or dishyum ect becos neither the film was not a big success nor the heros are not known for masala. almost all danush, jayam ravi, jeeva and simbu films are out becos they still are not bigger mass heros

mass masala and entertaining both can be very different terms illingalaa? even looking melottamaaga...

i think BO status can be kept aside for some cases. but mass, masala, entertiner nnu sonnathala blockbusters, atleast superhits mattume kanakkula varum pola. perarasu a strong IN and maniratnam a strong OUT :lol:

i think last mass, masala entertainer film of maniratnam shud be agni natchathiram, and nayagan, thalapathy too get ruled out here...

P_R
15th November 2009, 09:34 PM
[tscii:e041229171][/tscii:e041229171]Let me also link to this excellent, expansive essay (http://satyamshot.wordpress.com/2009/04/08/what-is-masala-cinema/) on Masala Cinema by a popular blogger called Satyam. In my reading, a significant part of the essay is closely tied specifically to Hindi masala cinema and cannot be directly related to Tamil cinema. Actually, I think Tamil masala cinema isn't anywhere nearly as “rich” as the Hindi masala film tradition that the essay discusses in great detail. But that's for later.

Still reading the said article. Konjam suththi suththi ezhudhirukkaapla

Plum
15th November 2009, 09:40 PM
Yeah, I too felt the same. Like, "ippo nee enna solla vara"

kid-glove
15th November 2009, 11:18 PM
His effusing praise for Bachchan notwithstanding, that's a charitable defence. So much so that it affronts attempts of patronization and refinement of the genre. And, more could have been written on successful subversion (of certain tropes, if not the genre), in his estimation.

P_R
16th November 2009, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I too felt the same. Like, "ippo nee enna solla vara"

Plum, in the field of humanities, inaccessibility was often equated by readers to sophistry. And many of the academics defended themselves by saying something I thought was profound. That no-one complains of inability to understand a paper in (say) a Mathematical journal because it starts with something like Lemma 1. OTOH just because a 'humanities' paper is written in the English, we automatically assume it should 'make sense' and hardly think twice before making charges of calling the text 'convoluted on purpose'. We hardly ever think that the subject may have its own expression and vocabulary that demands, at the least, familiarity on the part of the reader.

Quite a valid suggestion. Even this was not convincing to me, till I read a 1920s 'Tamil' book. I could recognize the script and read aloud. And that was about it. The heavily Sanskritized expressions (it was a religious book, to be fair) left me in a dizzy. I have learnt to be a bit more humble about the 'humanities' writing style - if that indeed is the phrase for it.

This blogger is not quite as stiff as the academics ruminating on weighty stuff, but at the moment I can only agree with the 'expansive' adjective used by equa. The excellence is yet to reach me.

Amyway, all this is to admit that I tried and still request a சுருங்கக் கூறின். :-)

kid-glove
16th November 2009, 09:24 PM
I know the blogger a bit, and know where he comes from, perhaps why it's accessible for me. The blogger is normally known to write well. Though not concisely enough I suppose.

Aalavanthan
16th November 2009, 09:29 PM
nalla arumaiyaana threadu.

First scene - edho oru ezhaiko alladhu oru pennuko kodumai nadaka pogudhu... "dummy" villainga 2 paeru edhavadhu kusumbu seiya enga irundho Odi varum namma hero (summa varaama, varumbodhu pattaamboochi, vegetables, flowers, thermocoal, thuvaram parupu) idhellam paraka vittu vandhu sandai poduradhu.. oh marandhutaen, ivar varadhuku munnaadi, kootathula oruthar indha dialogue-a solliyae aaganum " ivanunga araajagatha azhika evanaavadhu varamaataana"

Second Scene - fight mudinji oru song (introduction song) - idhula either the hero sings about what he does (tharperumai), or what others should do (advise pannuvaaraam) - song mudinja udanae avaradhu family kaata vendiya soozhnilai - amma, thangachi, koodavae oru comedian.. ippadi oru kootathai kaatuvadhu directoruku pereum avasiyam

next meet pannuvom