PDA

View Full Version : Maestro Ilaiyaraja New Albums 2011 - Hello Jaihind / Sri Rama Rajyam

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

rooky
20th November 2009, 07:55 AM
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc11/anikartick/MAESTRORAJA.jpg

Let me take the pleasure of starting a new thread. Raja in good form and growing. Expect him to treat us with much more addictive stuff.

continued from http://tfmpage.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1858900#1858900

Hulkster
20th November 2009, 08:04 AM
Another review, not a copy of IANS one
Courtesy of HeartA from Orkut IR Community

Paa - Music Review (http://initialm.in/?p=3213)

Courtesy of Rakesh from Orkut IR Community

Amitabh Bachan writing about Ilaiyaraaja in his blog (http://bigb.bigadda.com/?p=4115#comments)

Sureshs65
20th November 2009, 09:09 AM
MSK,

You are very correct about 'Odathandil'. It is a lovely melody and I listen to it every day. Yes, 'adhiushas' is addictive now doubt. Even if I am reading a book while the song is playing the background, I stop my reading for a minute and join the singing when Jesudas goes 'Anathera mamala than mounamudachu'. Such is the power of the song. (And when Chitra starts 'kunnathe' I close the book :)

Sureshs65
20th November 2009, 09:23 AM
kiru,

I would agree with your observation to a large extent though not fully. What seems to have happened in 'Paa' is that Raja has brought to fore the traditional elements associated with western music, be it a rock ballad or jazz, and slightly pushed his own trademark a bit back. The trademarks are definitely there but the ones coming to the fore are the more genre based elements. Like the way 'gali mudi' songs starts on the guitar is very reminiscent of some of Eagles love ballads. But the Mohanam touch is that of the master. (That pentatonic scale does exist and is used often in Rock music as well but the way it is used in this song is very Raajaish) The second interlude of 'gum sum gum' is clearly jazz and the keyboard playing there does not really carry any added twist of Raja. It is lovely but as you say, the Raja twist may not be there but the prelude carries his stamp. The 'hichki' song carries his stamp more according to me.

I am loving the 'gali mudi' song a lot. On one hand the orchestration is more 'standard' as you say but the tune is something to die for and Shaan to his credit does a nice job.

Sureshs65
20th November 2009, 09:31 AM
raagas,

You had a valid view about the composer not 'working hard' when he is using his earlier tune. While that is true, I guess you must approach 'gum sum' more as a jazz song that our film song. In the sense, in jazz music, as you know, everyone plays some standard song, not necessarily something they have composed. What matters there is how they improvise on that song. If you also approach 'gum sum' that way, you may enjoy it better. Ofcouse 'gum sum' differs from pure jazz in the sense that no improvisation is done on the main melody but still...

krish244
20th November 2009, 12:17 PM
[tscii:1571136f48]Swanand Kirkire's interview:

http://www.planetradiocity.com/musicreporter/interview.php?interviewid=400

"What about Paa?
Working on Paa was a real challenge that I can’t really define; you will realise when you hear the album. This film is special to me, as I got to work with Mr Amitabh Bachchan and the legendary Ilaiyaraaja. For any lyricist, working with him is a dream come true. I am overwhelmed that I got this opportunity so early in life. Amitabhji have also sung a song, ‘Mere Paa’, in the film. When I recited the song to him, he appreciated the lyrics. "

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:1571136f48]

Sanjeevi
20th November 2009, 01:10 PM
http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2009/November/191109.asp

raagas
20th November 2009, 01:55 PM
http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2009/November/191109.asp

Can anyone please post the gist of this article in english.

Also, yesterday's telugu news paper eenadu confirmed that the audio of new telugu film "Om Shanti" is releasing on Nov 27th. So in 1 more week, we will have another new album.

rajasaranam
20th November 2009, 02:48 PM
பாடல் எழுதியவர் மலையாளத்தின் முன்னணி கவிஞர். நான் கொடுக்கிற மெட்டுக்கு அவரால் வரிகள் போட முடியவில்லை. மீட்டரில் அடங்கவில்லை என்றே சொல்லிக் கொண்டிருந்தார். அவர் ஒரு ஊரில் இருக்க, நான் இன்னொரு இடத்தில் இருந்தேன். ட்யூன்களை எடுத்துக் கொண்டு அவரது வீட்டுக்கே செல்வார் டைரக்டர் ஹரிஹரன். கடைசியாக அவரே ஒரு பாடலை எழுதிக் கொடுத்திருந்தார். சரி, அதற்கு மெட்டு போட்டுக் கொள்ளலாம் என்ற முடிவோடு அமர்ந்தேன். பழசிராஜா தான் வாழ்ந்த ஊரை விட்டே போவது போல காட்சி. ஆனால் அந்த வேதனையை சொல்வது போல ஒரு வரியும் இல்லாதது எனக்கு அதிர்ச்சியாக இருந்தது. அவர் போடுகிற வரிகள், இந்த காலத்திற்கு ஏற்றார் போல அமைந்திருக்க வேண்டும். தங்கள் மண்ணை விட்டு உலகமெங்கும் வாழ்பவர்களின் வலி அதில் தெரிய வேண்டும். ஆனால் வரிகளில் மட்டும் ஒரு போருக்கான ஆயத்தம் இருந்தது. அதாவது லெப்ட், ரைட் என்று பெரேட் செல்வது போலவே தாளக்கட்டுடன் அமைந்த வரிகள். படித்த ஒரு வினாடிக்குள் நான் இப்படிதான் மெட்டு போடுவேன் என்று அவர் நினைத்திருப்பார் என்பதை யூகிக்க முடிந்தது. ஆனாலும் வேறு மாதிரி மனசை உருக்குவது போல மெட்டு போட்டேன் என்று ராஜா சொல்ல பலத்த கைதட்டல் அரங்கத்தில்.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

raagas,

A Layman Translation for you:

Raaja Speaks "The Song was written by a leading poet of Malayalam Industry. He was not able to write lyrics for the tunes that I was giving and constantly telling it doesnt set in the 'Meter'. I was in a different place and he was in a different place. Director Hariharan used travel to his place carrying my tunes. Finally He gave a song and i sat down to Compose the tune.
The scene was depicting 'Pazassiraja' going away from his place. It was shocking that There was not even a single line expressing this sadness. There should have been lines which express this emotion in todays context. He should've written expressing the longing of people who are living all over the world having left their land. But the lyrics had a emotion of preparation for a war. It was rhythmic like Left-Right Parade. He should've guessed that within seconds of reading those lines I would tune only as he had intended me too. But I changed it and tuned in a heart wrenching way"

That is Raaja who doesn't compromise on his musical understandings of human emotions. The lyricists however great they may be can't satisfy him. 'Kannadasan' was the last of that lot who cared for emotions onscreen. Now thinking of the song 'Aadhi ushas' I can understand how much struggle Raaja would've gone through to convey the pain through his tune & orchestration despite the lyrics predominantly being in a War preparatory tone.

raagas
20th November 2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks RS! That was very lucid :) I am waiting for someone to rip the BGM of this film.

Sureshs65
20th November 2009, 06:01 PM
RS,

Neat translation. Laughed aloud after reading the article and the fact that Sarath Kumar also clapped. Our man is incorrigible when it comes to speaking on stage :lol:

The first half of 'Adi ushas' is indeed heart wrenching. Especially from 'aanathera maladan mouna mudachu' followed by 'swathantra mele'. The way 'swathantramele' is tune is superb and conveys the longing of people who have lost their place very well. Which other MD would have taken so much pain to understand the situation and tune accordingly? !!

app_engine
20th November 2009, 07:03 PM
See the headline of this report :

http://entertainment.in.msn.com/southcinema/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3365767

One more vambu in the already long list :-(

Hulkster
20th November 2009, 07:36 PM
I dunt think he is unhappy, it is just disappointment with the way the song lyrics were written but raaja says he has given delightful songs with him. It does not look like a war upon poets like the way the article is sounding.

Anyway it is quite obvious media really read into thalaivar's words and blow it up to 2012 proportions like the world is going to be destroyed.

app_engine
20th November 2009, 07:42 PM
One thing, IR has continued to make statements like this through out his career and survived :-)

So, no big shakes for us anymore. Also, I don't think many in the industry today can make statements like 'sooperAvadhu, supreemAvadhu' like him and easily get away with it :-)

Fliflo
20th November 2009, 07:44 PM
[tscii:52e2298a06]Paa Music Review – Songs are melodious and magical! :thumbsup:

http://www.entertainmentandshowbiz.com/paa-music-review-%E2%80%93-songs-are-melodious-and-magical-2009112022925

Aadesh Srivastava, the music director of the film praises, “Amitabh does not sound like a grown-up man imitating a child. Don’t ask me how he has managed to do it. I just sat there stunned.” He added that the song would be an immediate hit among children. :confused2:

[/tscii:52e2298a06]

Hulkster
20th November 2009, 07:46 PM
Actually the problem is we see it through the media and always think what is said in the media is what happened there. Knowing thalaivar's hatred for media personnel who dun't respect music, the media themselves at times like to make him sound as eccentric and scarey as possible. He might have said something along the lines but we always get the exaggerated output. I have stopped reading all this not because thalaivar is creating controversy but because it is the same media who will go to any extent to publish news. It is even more shocking you guys are still bothered about such stuff.

Fliflo
21st November 2009, 05:10 AM
Big B Creates history with Ilaiyaaraja

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/n/i/top_stories/3148/

Shankar
21st November 2009, 09:18 AM
>>>>>>
The surge of tribal support for Pazhassi Raja outside the peace-talks chamber in the fort - when one of the naive British officers realises that he cannot go ahead and arrestt Pazhassi there as he naively suggested to his superior thinking that the few lieutenants in the room are all Pazhassi brought for the talks. The scene pans outside, and Raja runs riot as the conks, the horns and the improvised flutes and violins of the tribals surge to show what support Pazhassi has in the immediate vicinity
<<<<<<

THis is yet another variant (what with tribal drums, flute and conch sounds) of the revolution theme (which happens to be the prelude of Adhi Ushas)

Hulkster
21st November 2009, 09:47 AM
http://www.twinkletwinklelittlestar2009.com/

Courtesy of Nikhilesh from Orkut IR and KamalHassan Community

It is going to release worldwide on Christmas 2009. I think alot of people did not like some of the songs due to deja vu feel but there were soulful numbers and a middle eastern rocking number(salsalakkum kaatrey).

Trailer music is scintallating and yet another BPSO background score :D

cry_sandiego
21st November 2009, 10:41 AM
Suresh/Raagas,

I do not agree with the point that re-using the old tune is easy... Rather it might be less time consuming as there is one less thing to do.. but given IR's spontaneity and speed, this is a non-issue... To me what IR does here is trying to give a new wine in a old cup - Not Old wine in a new bottle.. The reason i say this is once the tune is set, i guess your boundaries are set somewhat ( just like tuning to a pre-written lyrics .. and that is one reason i consider Thiruvasagam to be his highest musical achievement ) - In my opinion, for IR creativity is not a issue when given 360 Deg freedom.. There can be no two ways about this.. But now, Balki asks for Thumbee Vaa to be given, but about 20+ years later.. and he has to do it in tune with the current standards and yet satisfy Balki ( and old timers like us ) who have grown with that old melody.. There can be no better challenge than constraining a spontaneous creator like IR.. Personally i still like Thumbee Vaa much better than Gum Sum.. But the fact that I have given 20 yrs to Thumbee vaa and < 2 weeks to Gum Sum is not a fair comparison.

One thing I am not sure is , if Balki would just gvie a list of his old melodies and let IR choose or he asking specifically for THumbee Vaa to be used.. ( i am wondering that Thumbee was chosen for the Kids Chorus situation here in Paa more than anything.. )

Cheers
MSK

Sanjeevi
21st November 2009, 01:06 PM
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/ar/i/movie_name/12305/0/

Shankar.P
21st November 2009, 01:08 PM
[tscii:7c2ecb1f34]mr.Rajendra kumar's fitting reply to the 'buzz18's reviewer Anand.

here is my take on the music of paa:
whatever be one’s status.. Whatever be one’s
knowledge, whatever be one’s writing skills.. Certain
things in life cannot be explained..

for the last 24 hours, i am in a state of trance. Why?

i started listening to ‘paa’.. And i am unable to get
out of it.
feelings that are very special and …(pl. Read the first
line again!).

what i am going to do now is to write very briefly (in
just one or two lines) about each song.

the album has 7 songs and one theme music bit.
out of the 7 songs, 3 are different versions of the same
song, 3 are rehashed versions of his old tunes and 1 is a
complete song (so complete that it fills one’s heart to
the brim!).

now, i know there are people who say ‘why does he repeat
his old tunes?Can he not give something new?’

i request such skeptics to understand the film world
better.
balki is a self-proclaimed fanatic of ilaiyaraaja.When he
was in the ad world, he used(stole?) his tunes in many of
the ads.One striking example is the idea
cellular(incidentally abhishek bachchan is the model!) ad
where the pallavi anupallavi tune is used with so many
variations.

in a recent interview, he has said that ‘there is no
composer in india who can match this gentleman.But
unfortunately, half the country do not know the existence of
this person’.

his objective is very clear.He wants to promote raaja
sir’s tunes in the country(no matter if they are old).He
wants the entire nation to listen to such tunes and wonder
who has composed such magical tunes.

i was indeed taken aback in 2007 when i came to know that
all tunes in ‘cheeni kum’ were his old tunes.But the
moment i listened to the songs in the new avatar, i could
not hide my surprise and happiness. Surprise-because of the
orchestration and arrangement. Happy because they sounded
great.’jothayalli’ transformed as ‘jaane do na’ ,
‘mandram vandha’ as ‘cheeni kum hai’..
what an amazing transformation!

the same has happened in ‘paa’.

my only grouse with ‘cheeni kum’ was that no song was
picturised in full.Hope mr.Balki makes amends in paa.

one striking difference is the quality of lyrics. It was
below average in cheeni kum and this coupled with the reason
that no song was available fully as a video ensured that the
songs were not a great hit in the north (compared to the
south).But the lyrics(swanand kirkire) are wonderful in paa.

let us look at the songs briefly.

raaja sir’s fascination for mohanam ragam is well-known.
it continues here except that it gives the flavour of
bhoop-the hindustani counterpart of mohanam.

the song ‘mudi mudi’ has three versions-two sung by
shilpa rao ‘udi udi’ and ‘mudi mudi’-and the male
version sung by shaan.

the male version is soft and has a unique charm.

though ‘udi udi’ and ‘mudi mudi’ follow the same
tune, the two differ in the preludes, and the interlude.The
whisper in ‘mudi mudi’ is amazing.
the former has the dominant piano while the latter has the
bass guitar(though one hears the subtle piano in the latter
as well!)

the shaan version is slow without any percussion- a la
‘azhage unnai aaaradanai seigiren’.The symphony like
interlude is wonderful(somehow i am reminded of ‘kaadhal
oviyam’ song).

‘halke se bole’ is the familiar ‘puththam puthu
kaalai’ tune-one of my all time favourites.The almost
similar rhythmic pattern gives me nostalgic feelings.

‘kaapi’ is one ragam that has been adapted in carnatic
from hindustani but the carnatic kaapi is different from the
hindustani one.Hindustani kafi is nothing but the carnatic
karaharapriya and pilu can at best be compared with carnatic
kaapi.

no other film music composer has used kaapi as wonderfully
as ilaiyaraaja.

his most famous tune in kaapi is actually 27 years old.It
first appeared as a bgm bit in ‘moondram pirai’ way back
in 1982.It was then used in olangal, auto raja, nireekshana,
kanne kalai maane, aur ek prem kahani, and the for his
‘live in italy’ prog.
one never gets tired of listening to this tune in so many
versions as each version shows a new dimension to kaapi.

in ‘gum shum gum’, we get to hear the western contours
in the second interlude.
marvellous work!

‘kaattu vazhi kaal nadiya’ has always been one of my
personal favourites.This tune-mainly the interlude- is the
theme music of paa.Amitabh does magic here singing like a 13
year old. Brings tears to even a stone!
what happens when hiccups sound musical?
‘hichki hichki’(hichki in hindi-hiccup) is a
composition analysis of which would take pages.
this song, according to me is the piece de resistance
(though other songs are also great).
based on keeravani, it follows the 7-beat misram and is
sung with consummate ease by sunidhi
chauhan(wonder how many takes she took!In any case, it is
not an easy song to sing).

laya raja and raga raja are in full flow here.

laya raja:one hears the normal ‘ta ki ta ta ka dhi mi’
in bass guitar along with the vocals.But what happens after
that is a marvel and is possible only by the maestro.
misram is played in the fast pace (mel kaalam) and we hear
3, 6, 6 and 6-21beats in the percussion during the brief
pause.

raga raja:in the second interlude, the theme music is
played first in keeravani(minor scale) and then in
shankarabharanam(major scale).Sheer magic!
the use of alien notes (sound like vivadi to me, have to
listen more) and the sound of ‘hiccups’ carry the raaja
stamp!

i am unable to get out of the musical ‘hiccups’.

ilaiyaraaja- the ‘paa’ and ‘maa’ of indian film
music!
[/tscii:7c2ecb1f34]

Sanjeevi
21st November 2009, 01:26 PM
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-reviews/reviews-2/pazhassi-raja.html

Sureshs65
21st November 2009, 01:37 PM
MSK,

You have put it very rightly. For a genius like Raja, putting a constraint would throw up major challenges, which he always crosses without a problem. As we know 'Adiushas' tuned to the lyrics and as he says he was able to come up with a heart wrenching tune.

sivasub
21st November 2009, 02:16 PM
The most comical of all reviews. I really wonder how he got job as a reviewer in the first place.

http://www.top10bollywood.com/2009/11/paa-music-review-ratings.html

Hulkster
21st November 2009, 04:57 PM
http://www.idlebrain.com/movietape/omshanti-logo.html

Courtesy of dhiraj reddy of IR Yahoo groups

I find the theme very interesting with a fantasy like touch. Another mudi mudi styled song seems in the offing. Judging from the film its like one man with three love interests and one decision to make.

sivasub
21st November 2009, 10:14 PM
Hichki hichki has shades of a telugu song Vayyari godaramma. Dont know if this is just my feeling. Experts, pls comment.

kameshratnam
22nd November 2009, 03:09 PM
Let the praises be rained...Avar sonna mathiriye i m waiting to the buy the original one but still it is not available where are the cds in chennai???????? :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

AravindMano
22nd November 2009, 08:57 PM
where are the cds in chennai???????? :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Kameshratnam - I bought one last night at Odyssey, Adyar.

Sanjeevi
22nd November 2009, 11:29 PM
yeah it is priced at Rs. 160 :wink:

Sanjeevi
23rd November 2009, 12:37 AM
Saw PR (tamil) in Suriyan at Uthayam and had a good experience. Never expected a Malayalam film with such technical qualities (:thumbsup:). The movie got claps at places. Kudos to IR, director, technicians and JM (dialogue).

Forget to mention, show was housefull :)

writeface
23rd November 2009, 11:07 AM
Last night, I watched PR (Malayalam) at Serra Theaters@Milpitas.
It was the penultimate show as the movie had already run for two weeks.

The movie was quite enjoyable. Good performances from the cast, including Sarath Kumar. Much has been said about the way the Brits have been portrayed, cartoonish, cut-out stereotypes.

The music was thunderous at times, grandiose, rightfully so, subdued and poignant when necessary. Several rousing variations of the battle theme were played, adding intensity to the action scenes.

I sat up and took notice of the BGM at couple of places: When Sarath and Mamooty square off with sword, and the climax.

Adhi ushas, and the laahilahi songs were pictured very well.

Sadly, my favorite song, OdamthaNNil, was left out of the movie. I guess it must have been a duet between Padmapriya and Manoj K Jayan. It may have slowed down the pace of the movie.

-Gokul.

Fliflo
23rd November 2009, 07:44 PM
[tscii:408959ba4a]One more review

http://www.planetbollywood.com/displayReview.php?id=m112309022728

As a FINAL word for this review, all the people who are desperately in need of a change in music should buy this album for keeps! And as I end this one, Sachin Tendulkar’s famous catchline enters my mind– Go Get It!
[/tscii:408959ba4a]

Bala (Karthik)
23rd November 2009, 08:01 PM
[tscii:335f5225a9]One more review

As a FINAL word for this review, all the people who are desperately in need of a change in music should buy this album for keeps! And as I end this one, Sachin Tendulkar’s famous catchline enters my mind– Go Get It!
[/tscii:335f5225a9]
And how many marks has the reviewer given (surprise!), 6.5/10!!

And why does everyone say all 3 versions of Mudi Mudi are the same? :huh: Prelude, interlude, BG idhellam oru porutte illiya ivangalukku?

jaiganes
23rd November 2009, 08:15 PM
[tscii:1e321452cb]One more review

[/tscii:1e321452cb]
And how many marks has the reviewer given (surprise!), 6.5/10!!

And why does everyone say all 3 versions of Mudi Mudi are the same? :huh: Prelude, interlude, BG idhellam oru porutte illiya ivangalukku?

avangalllam lyrics mattume song, adhanaala dhaan music dirs pozhappu nadatharaanga pugazh adayaraanga appdinnu solra koshti pola irukku.

Plum
23rd November 2009, 08:21 PM
Bala, to his credit, the reviewer has clearly identified that there are significant differences between the 3 versions of the song. There seems to be a clear dichotomy between his/her appreciation and his 'duty' as a reviewer for this particular site which seems to be to kind of serve as a "go-to" for the average joe to decide whether or not to buy an album. Which is why he keeps harping on "music lovers will like this" but pritam fans keep away.

Much to his credit, he has actually identified that the 3 versions are different. This is an improvement over the average amit.

Bala (Karthik)
24th November 2009, 12:21 AM
Bala, to his credit, the reviewer has clearly identified that there are significant differences between the 3 versions of the song. There seems to be a clear dichotomy between his/her appreciation and his 'duty' as a reviewer for this particular site which seems to be to kind of serve as a "go-to" for the average joe to decide whether or not to buy an album. Which is why he keeps harping on "music lovers will like this" but pritam fans keep away.

Yeah, he does, actually - my bad!
Aana andha "Non-ardent music listeners might not be able to notice the difference between this track and the last one" paathu lighta unarchivasappattutten though what he says is true!

Fliflo
24th November 2009, 09:05 AM
Pazhassi Raja Audio Launch Function

Raja's speech in clip 3 and 4. Doesn't sound controversial in the speech.

http://www.sivajitv.com/events/Ilayaraja-Released-Pazhassi-Raja-Audio-Launch-Video.htm

Also watch clip 5

krish244
24th November 2009, 12:25 PM
From the speech, it looks like IR got frustrated that ONV could not write lyrics (despite giving multiple tunes) and also that finally he had to compromise and compose music for his lyrics. Looks like it bothered him a lot and he had to let it out.

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
24th November 2009, 02:37 PM
IR could have let out his frustration in a small circle rather than put it in public. I don't know what prompted him to tell it in the audio release function. As far as we know, I don't think this was a response to any criticism against him (or his music for the movie).

BTW, Ouseppachhan thinks, IR gave a statement like this because the music for the film did not do well. Otherwise, IR would not have made the statement, it seems.

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/entertainment/ilaiyaraajas-statements-come-under-ouseppachans-scrutiny_100279135.html

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
24th November 2009, 02:51 PM
Another +ve review of PAA:

http://www.glamsham.com/music/reviews/24-paa-music-review-110909.asp

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
24th November 2009, 02:53 PM
Sify says:

"Ilayaraja humiliates ONV Kurup!"

http://sify.com/movies/fullstory.php?id=14920950

thanks,

Krishnan

Hulkster
24th November 2009, 03:08 PM
From the speech, it looks like IR got frustrated that ONV could not write lyrics (despite giving multiple tunes) and also that finally he had to compromise and compose music for his lyrics. Looks like it bothered him a lot and he had to let it out.

thanks,

Krishnan

No he is rather expressing that although the lyrics are significant they convey a more upbeat manner of a king getting his land back while thalaivar felt that it should be expressing sadness of a king leaving his land. Otherwise no disappointment seen in the speech neither is there any insulting. In fact it looked like thalaivar was trying to say how he managed to create a tune around the lyrics to make it sound like a king feeling sad yet upbeat at the same time.

Punnaimaran
24th November 2009, 03:18 PM
Let someone who has not heard the song recite the lyrics. Ask him what he feels about it. I wouldn't be surprised if he says that it feels like a poem in which people are marching.(kind of 'manidhaa manidhaa ini un')

thumburu
24th November 2009, 04:21 PM
"adhiushas" stands tall mainly due to ONV's outstanding lyrics which even outshines Raja's pedestrian tune . Looks like Raja is clearly not comfortable in setting tunes to pre written lyrics which is a good challenge for music composers. May be he could still learn a lesson or two from MSV in this regard . No wonder he is still stuck with "salippu" nursery rhymes like sandhams .
sample these :
"unnai patri sonnaal
udhai kidaikkum
ennai patri sonnaal
veNNai kidaikkum
(or)
un vaazhve oru kadhai aagalaam
un kadhaiye oru vaazhvu aagalaam
un vaazhve oru kadhai aagaamalum polam
un kadhaiye oru vaazhva aagaamalum polam
ippidi kooda lyrics ezhudhallam
raasaappu paatille enna venaalum varalaam

Till now MFM seemed to offer some "soLa pori" to starved Raja fans. Ippo adhulayum maNNaa?

Sureshs65
24th November 2009, 04:40 PM
First, thanks to Flifo for uploading the speech. Second, can we get back to the stone age please so that we can take out a club and hit these press fellows without feeling guilty!!!

I watched the video of the speech and I am thrilled. For it is not always that an artists like Raja talks about his aesthetics. We have evidence once in a while about what he thinks and how he thinks and any occasion which gives us a glimpse of the way his mind works is always welcome.

Coming to the speech itself, the whole tone, which the papers / web sites can never convey or don't want to convey, is an ordinary one. He was relating an incident in an ordinary fashion. His sense of what the words should convey at that point in time of the story is clearly stated. He also clearly understands what ONV is trying to convey. He says that he feels the situation needs to convey a bit of sadness because the king has lost his land. ONV wants to convey that an uprising is in the offing. It is a simple matter of different perceptions of two different artists. This is something welcome because it allows us to debate cinema as well.

One important thing we need to note here is that Raja is fully talking in the context of the movie and why he felt the lyrics did not suit the situation as he understood it. Raja is not really talking about whether he was better or ONV was better but only about whether the song suited the situation or not. What more can you expect from an artist who understands cinema like no one else? Check out what he says about him suggesting silence during Mamooty's entry, the director wanting music and finally the silence prevailing.

Raja says clearly that he fought with Hariharan saying that ONV has composed so many songs for his tunes and why was it not happening now? Raja infact sings the tune as a normal meter and you can clearly realize how much Raja has deliberately changed it not to show the meter.

I may be selfish but I am happy to see some thinking of Raja being revealed. I think the controversy is totally unnecessary. There were two artists who had different ideas on what the scene needed and artistic differences are something which happen all the while. Let us leave it at that.

Sureshs65
24th November 2009, 04:47 PM
thumburu,

With due respects to you, I think you sometimes occupy a very high pedestal and pass comments as if they are the absolute final words about anything. We can disagree on whether the tune was good or the lyrics were better but to call 'adiushas' as a pedestrian tune is sheer arrogance. (I personally do not think the lyrics of 'adiushas' are outstanding to the extent that the tune becomes pedestrian. I don't want to get into a lyrics vs tune debate here since I have equal respect for ONV and Raja.)

In his speech Raja clearly explains how he had to change the meter of the song to get the emotion he wanted. I would advice you to please watch the video of Raja's speech to have a clearer understanding of what he wanted to convey.

My humble request again. Please do not get someone like MSV into the discussion. The last discussion I want is Raja vs MSV type of discussion. Let us leave that great man alone. We have enough other fights to participate in :)

I don't think anyone has any arguments about the lyrics you quoted. Everyone, including me, have bashed this up enough times.

Hulkster
24th November 2009, 05:43 PM
:clap: Suresh65, she is just one of those fans who have too high expectations for thalaivar where they forget the situation the song is composed for and the actual emotion that is being conveyed. I think thalaivar has not only scored for lyrics but managed to get both emotions on track, a "rising to the war" theme and the sadness of losing one's homeland. Both expressed in interludes and orchestration :notworthy:

sivasub
24th November 2009, 05:52 PM
[tscii:3307fab137]Back to paa.. another positive and a balanced review

http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Paa_Album-179726-1.html

Finally – With Ilayaraja, melody can be taken for granted. The cynics and ‘Pritam’ loving junta wont like this album even a wee bit, but then, if Pritam (and the likes) can survive, Ilaraja has to be given a million acre Villa to live and rule the world of music. The tunes are simple with a bit of retro-feel. I rate this 4 out of 5 because this one is an OST and not a music album, and with a story-line as peculiar as of ‘Paa’, I am sure the songs will be an integral part of the movie and wont act as a disconnect (how else can you explain that the average length of the songs is not even 3 minutes!)[/tscii:3307fab137]

Sureshs65
24th November 2009, 06:06 PM
It is quite as to how almost all the web based reviews want to try and anticipate what the people want and accordingly review the music ;) Very funny. If you are a critic, you must either let people know whether you liked it or not, or you can point out some nuances about the song and tell why it is good or not good. Instead, what we get is, 'The young crowd will like it'. 'the so and so crowd may not like it' and so and so forth. It is almost like everyone wants a 'fast food' review!! I am just not talking about 'Paa' review but most reviews in general.

sivasub
24th November 2009, 06:15 PM
[tscii:ee2d65dc7f]Another +ve review and an interesting observation

http://worldmusic.suite101.com/article.cfm/music_review_paa

Swanand Kirkire’s lyrics and Ilayaraja’s music complement each other beautifully in the soundtrack of the new Bollywood movie Paa. It does strike the listener as slightly odd that a movie with a male centric story should have a soundtrack dominated with female voices, but that is beside the point.[/tscii:ee2d65dc7f]

sivasub
24th November 2009, 06:30 PM
It is quite as to how almost all the web based reviews want to try and anticipate what the people want and accordingly review the music ;) Very funny. If you are a critic, you must either let people know whether you liked it or not, or you can point out some nuances about the song and tell why it is good or not good. Instead, what we get is, 'The young crowd will like it'. 'the so and so crowd may not like it' and so and so forth. It is almost like everyone wants a 'fast food' review!! I am just not talking about 'Paa' review but most reviews in general.

I guess sometimes you need to bow to the market dynamics and which is what these reviewers are trying to do. I am happy that most of the reviewers are acknowledging the beauty of these songs rather than just pushing them as being south indian.

raagas
24th November 2009, 07:06 PM
Lot of discussions here.Sometimes, not knowing a language helps :)

I dont think Aadhiushassu is a pedestrian tune.Its not a great tune either(the pallavi part),but it captures a certain mood in the pallavi that i think gelled well with the picturisation, even though i didnt understand the language. and the beauty of the song evolves in the charanams. And overall, its a beautiful composition.If we listen to only pallavi,it might be that appealing.And the song is more about the whole aura it carries.The brass section,the percussions etc.

Regarding his comments,IR has proved lot of times,that he cannot articulate his thoughts exactly sometimes.May be this is one of them.I dont see what would IR gain by degrading a lyricist, as the media claim.Its nonsense.Just that he had a point of view and he probably couldnt put it across in a right way.. Thats my guess, not even an interpretation.

Strange are the ways of Genuises.

rajasaranam
24th November 2009, 07:08 PM
"adhiushas" stands tall mainly due to ONV's outstanding lyrics which even outshines Raja's pedestrian tune . Looks like Raja is clearly not comfortable in setting tunes to pre written lyrics which is a good challenge for music composers. May be he could still learn a lesson or two from MSV in this regard . No wonder he is still stuck with "salippu" nursery rhymes like sandhams .

May be you should stop Listening to Raaja's Music altogether till you come out of the 'bourgeois' (=Mettukudi) mindset you have, ...or if possible stop posting your opinions with narrow mindset.
We will not be at loss if the likes of you don't post here.

Plum
24th November 2009, 07:26 PM
Thumburu, when you get time, please listen to the following pre-written lyrics albums:
1. Bharathi
2. Parts of Ramana Maalai
Above all
3. Thiruvasagam

:-)

Sureshs65
24th November 2009, 08:32 PM
RS,

I wouldn't go to that extent. I don't mind people having a fixed mindset. I think everyone has a right to opinion. My major crib are these hand waving dismissals. If you want to clearly state why you felt a tune was not good and why you felt the lyrics were good, that is acceptable. We may disagree. But if it is just a hand waving opinion, there will not be much of constructive debate which happens. For example, raagas is analyzing the song and saying the pallavi may not be very impactful but the charanams are great and the song is a whole unit along with the orchestration. That is an acceptable argument. You can argue whether the pallavi is great or not but atleast there is certain logic in the argument.

We have all been arguing with the basic premise that there are no holy cows. I fully agree to it but before dismissing an artists work we better give our reasons clearly.

Fliflo
24th November 2009, 08:44 PM

Fliflo
24th November 2009, 08:45 PM
thumburu,

Please watch the video of exactly what IR said. Newspapers have twisted the whole thing as much they could. IR's concerns were valid. Especially, when he stated that when PR leaves the land, no lines in the lyrics to represent the fact. Do you have an argument against this??

app_engine
24th November 2009, 08:48 PM
In all this controversy, I feel the MT-HH combo will now not try to push the NA committee for music NA :-(

சரி, போனால் போகட்டும் போடா :-)

rprasad
24th November 2009, 11:04 PM
I agree with Fliflo about the Media twisting the whole speech in order to create some controversy. When i listened to it, i felt that IR is merely stating that his basic understanding of the situation and the feel the song was supposed to provide, differed from the lyricist. While ONV went for a more upbeat revolutionary kind of feel, IR felt that the pain of the king forced to move out of his land and hide also needed to be brought out. So he tried to put his idea as well into the feel of the song and in the end i think he acheived both the objectives. The basic tune conveys a hint of sadness while the backing percussion and rythms provide the the more upbeat war like feel as well. What do you guys think? I think its basically the composer and lyricist having a totally different point of view of the situation which was explained for the song. Maybe if they had been face to face they could have come to an understanding on the feel of the song? It must have been a challenging task explaining this kind of situation for a song and i think IR is also pointing out the difficulties that are encountered while composing.

Sureshs65
24th November 2009, 11:10 PM
rprasad,

What you say is exactly right and that is what seems to have happened.

cry_sandiego
25th November 2009, 02:03 AM
Guys,

just came home after watching PR ( Mal ) in Woodlands Chennai - ( not the best place to watch this kind of movie, but could not get tix in Satyam and Mayajaal being too far ). Had < 50 people in the hall so i guess the movie is probably doing it's last week or 2..

Highlights.. Photography, Locations, second half BGM, Adhi Usha/Kunnathe visuals, Sarath/Tribal chief/Padmapriya's performances.

A bit let down with the first half BGM as it sounded too jarring - in my opinion, Resul/IR should have played it down a bit.. Ambum/Kombum is played in the background only for 10-15 seconds or so..

Overall a good movie ..

Cheers
MSK

writeface
25th November 2009, 03:41 AM
MSK,

I too felt the sounds of battle overpowered the BGM. I did not find the BGM to be jarring, though.

Gokul.

Fliflo
25th November 2009, 09:35 AM
Paa-soundtrack is in top 5 as per the sellers

http://www.tseries.com/Music.aspx

writeface
25th November 2009, 09:36 AM
"adhiushas" stands tall mainly due to ONV's outstanding lyrics which even outshines Raja's pedestrian tune "

Pedestrian tune... ?

ஒரு வேளை ராஜா நடந்துகிட்டே போட்ட பாட்டுன்னு சொல்றாங்களோ? ஒண்ணும் புரியலை.

Gokul

cry_sandiego
25th November 2009, 10:42 AM
"Calling AdhiUsha tune/Orchestration to be pedestrian " Ithellam koncham too much guys..

Gokul, it could be due to the sound system volume being too high as well.. Yeah.. the battle noise for overpowering the BGM and also at places in the first half, there was BGM which masked dialogues which is not typical of IR.. i did not find this in the second half of the movie..

Forgot to tell you.. I have moved to Chennai recently - workplace is right behind Prasad Studios :-)

Cheers
MSK

Sureshs65
25th November 2009, 11:02 AM
ஒரு வேளை ராஜா நடந்துகிட்டே போட்ட பாட்டுன்னு சொல்றாங்களோ? ஒண்ணும் புரியலை.

Gokul

:D

Maybe the tune is meant only for pedestrians, not to those who listen to music in their cars or at their homes ;)

Shankar
25th November 2009, 11:36 AM
"Calling AdhiUsha tune/Orchestration to be pedestrian " Ithellam koncham too much guys..

Gokul, it could be due to the sound system volume being too high as well.. Yeah.. the battle noise for overpowering the BGM and also at places in the first half, there was BGM which masked dialogues which is not typical of IR.. i did not find this in the second half of the movie..

Forgot to tell you.. I have moved to Chennai recently - workplace is right behind Prasad Studios :-)

Cheers
MSK

MSK, welcome back...Blr vandhA sollungO meet-alAm !

writeface
25th November 2009, 11:46 AM
"Forgot to tell you.. I have moved to Chennai recently - workplace is right behind Prasad Studios "

MSK,

Really! that is a surprise. Thought you were still at San Diego.

I will be in Bangalore/Chennai next summer. Will hook-up.

prasad studios-lla enna nadakkuththunnu adikkadi etti paarththu engaLukku thagaval kodunga:-)

Gokul.

cry_sandiego
25th November 2009, 12:48 PM
Gokul/Shankar,

Just moved to Chennai a few weeks back though i was travelling to Chennai from SD a lot the last few years.

i do not have your latest email - my yahoo is still the same - msk_rcom - send me a email please and i will send you contact info - Lets meet when u guys are in Chennai next time.

Shankar, I will be travelling to B'lore as early as next week or so.. i will connect once u send me the contact #'s.

Thanks
MSK

thumburu
25th November 2009, 01:18 PM
thumburu,

With due respects to you, I think you sometimes occupy a very high pedestal and pass comments as if they are the absolute final words about anything. We can disagree on whether the tune was good or the lyrics were better but to call 'adiushas' as a pedestrian tune is sheer arrogance. (I personally do not think the lyrics of 'adiushas' are outstanding to the extent that the tune becomes pedestrian. I don't want to get into a lyrics vs tune debate here since I have equal respect for ONV and Raja.)

In his speech Raja clearly explains how he had to change the meter of the song to get the emotion he wanted. I would advice you to please watch the video of Raja's speech to have a clearer understanding of what he wanted to convey.

My humble request again. Please do not get someone like MSV into the discussion. The last discussion I want is Raja vs MSV type of discussion. Let us leave that great man alone. We have enough other fights to participate in :)

I don't think anyone has any arguments about the lyrics you quoted. Everyone, including me, have bashed this up enough times.

Suresh, What pedestal do u expect a battered, bruised long time loyal fan to be in, when she has been time and again let down by her favourite composer whom she still doggedly believes while the whole world had moved on. Hulkister, whatever expectation I had,went 'kaput' post "kadhalukku mariyadhai" itself and now I still continue to get surprised and excited about every tiny good interlude bit or nice phrase emanating from him.But Iam not interested in being content with just 2 options - either the high profile recycles of "cheeni kum"/"Paa" or the trash worthy D-graded left overs like Valmikis/Jaganmohinis/Azhagarmalais. That is why Pazhassi is very dear to me and many here who contributed to almost 70% of the 100 pages thread with Pazhassi puranam
Though "kunnathe" was my initial ,instant pick, after reading Shankar's wonderful write up at dhool.com regarding the lyrical beauty that aptly portrays the anguish of invasion, I changed my stance and now "adhiushas" is perched at the top of my PR playlist. Note that I didn't start the hair-splitting exercise. I said only the tune is ordinary and not the song . This song with its sterling lyrics, orchestration, backdrop, ok tune will be cherished for long . Not only that, the prewritten lyrics in "adhiushas" has provoked IR to come up with a very unique song where the "dejavu" black sheep is not lurking anywhere which itself is a no mean feat. Well, I cannot say the same for the syruppy "odathannil" with its cliched, stereotyped sandhams that remind you of so many of his earlier numbers.That is the benefit derived out of classy pre-written lyrics . Iam aware that a music director has to budge out of his comfort zone to come up with a captivating song for prewritten lyrics. So my quoting MSV here is not out of context for he has excelled in such cases like "therottam ananda shenbaga poovattam" from "noolveli" as one such an example . Raja himself did it in Bharathy. It is funny to see him condoning abysmally crude "pacha menis", "kooda varuviyaa" etc while nitpicking on "adhiushas"

Sanjeevi
25th November 2009, 01:23 PM
It is funny to see him condoning abysymally crude "pacha menis", "kooda varuviyaa" etc while nitpicking on "adhiushas"

Avanga ammam samigal, jalra poduravangala irukkum, Ivaru konjam maruthu pesi irupparu :yessir:

Plum
25th November 2009, 01:36 PM
Well, you can only criticise when there is scope for excellence. Azzhagar Malai, Valmikikku ellAm adhu pOdhumnu nenaichirukkalAm. Again, Remember that he doesnt attend audio functions always - andha functionlAM attend panNi irundhA enna sollli iruppArO yaaru kandA?

crvenky
25th November 2009, 01:46 PM
Another PR review:

http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/REVIEW/2009/PazhasiRaja.asp

படத்தின் முதல் ஹீரோ நமது இசைஞானி இளையராஜாதான். பின்னணி இசையில் இவர்தான் முன்னணி ராஜா என்பதை எல்லா காட்சிகளுமே உணர்த்துகின்றன. 'ஆதிமுதல் காலம் பூத்ததிங்கே' என்ற பாடல் சுகமோ சுகம். அதையே கீ போர்டிலும், வயலினிலும் இசைத்து பின்னணிக்கு பயன்படுத்தியிருப்பது ராஜ வசியம்!

raagas
25th November 2009, 02:28 PM
It is funny to see him condoning abysmally crude "pacha menis", "kooda varuviyaa" etc while nitpicking on "adhiushas"

I dont know what is Pacha menis, but "Kooda Varuviyaa" is crude to you???????? I am surprised!!! It is one of the most brilliant compositions of this year.I would put that song alone, higher than some of the whole albums like "Azhagar Malai". Kooda Variviyaa is atmospheric. It has an ambience. It makes you crave for a long walk in the woods, during the dawn time when there is mist. Oh, I have so many images and craving to picturise that song. And for you its crude??I dont know what to say! :-|

AravindMano
25th November 2009, 02:38 PM
In my opinion, of all the Raja songs that released in 2009, Mudi Mudi / Udi Udi has the greatest 'repeat' value. Just couldnt get enough of it.

ezy0265
25th November 2009, 04:04 PM
This Thumburu, whoever it is.....
is totally pathetic....all I can imagine is that he or she is a ARR fan very much disguised as IR old timer and looking for cheap thrills here...

Absolutely braindead specimen! No point in taking it seriously and wasting space responding or even acknowledging....in my opinion...

If Adhiuhya is a pedestrian tune then I am keen to know how he describes all the latest ARR tunes....

Bala (Karthik)
25th November 2009, 04:38 PM
It is funny to see him condoning abysmally crude "pacha menis", "kooda varuviyaa" etc while nitpicking on "adhiushas"

I dont know what is Pacha menis, but "Kooda Varuviyaa" is crude to you???????? I am surprised!!! It is one of the most brilliant compositions of this year.I would put that song alone, higher than some of the whole albums like "Azhagar Malai". Kooda Variviyaa is atmospheric. It has an ambience. It makes you crave for a long walk in the woods, during the dawn time when there is mist. Oh, I have so many images and craving to picturise that song. And for you its crude??I dont know what to say! :-|
Raagas,
She means the lyrics, not the songs themselves

Sureshs65
25th November 2009, 05:24 PM
thumburu,

Let us agree to disagree. I don't think anyone would have come up with better tune for those lyrics. Secondly, let us agree to disagree about the lyrics as well. To me, the lyrics are very generic. They do contain a couple of good lines but don't tell the story (something which Kannadasan probably would have done effortlessly.) Anyway, no point splitting hairs here. Personally I hold that the lyrics per say did not have the emotion of pathos, which Raja brought out in the tune. For example, the way he has tuned 'aanathera mamalathan mouna mudachu' with a bit of pathos running through it is exemplary. For the lyrics provided and the meter provided, Raja has done superb work with his tune. Ofcourse orchestration brilliance is present for everyone to see.

Secondly, you quote 'odathandil' and conveniently leave out 'kunnathe'. Now both were tuned first and lyrics written later. So how come 'kunnathe' is inferior to any song tuned for lyrics?

I still maintain a poet cannot get the twist and turns that a music composer can and will probably write in the sandam that suits him / her and that can become monotonous to a music director. There are so many old songs who sandhamans reminds one of other songs of the same music director, probably because the poet has used the same meter. It applies to almost every of the great music directors who tuned for pre-written lyrics.

Again, from Raja's speech, what I infer is that he was very involved with this story and hence probably wanted the lyrics to convey the sense of despondency that the king feels and since he did not see them in the lyrics, he told how he got the despondency through his tune. A simple explanation and not nitpicking.

All I can say is that scoring for Pazhassi Raja would have been beyond the scope of any current MD. The songs and BGM are proof of it.

Sureshs65
25th November 2009, 05:32 PM
raagas,

As Bala pointed out, thumburu is referring to the lyrics. I personally don't know why she included 'koodavaruviya' as crude. The lyrics of 'kooda varuviya' may not be top class but it definitely doesn't fall in the crude category. To me the lyrics are quite nice.

ezy,

thumburu has a point of view and it is clear she hold the 80s Raja dear. It is an obsession of many. Don't let ARR be your obsession. You can check out the 'Last Raja song listened to' thread to see what thumburu posts. Dragging ARR when there is no provocation is not going to help anybody.

Bala (Karthik)
25th November 2009, 05:35 PM
ezy,
thumburu has a point of view and it is clear she hold the 80s Raja dear. It is an obsession of many. Don't let ARR be your obsession. You can check out the 'Last Raja song listened to' thread to see what thumburu posts. Dragging ARR when there is no provocation is not going to help anybody.
Well said

krish244
25th November 2009, 06:22 PM
Looks like Suryakanthi audio was launched on Radio Mirchi 98.3 (first time on a radio channel).

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/kannada/top-stories/2009/suryakaanthi-music-launch-251109.html

Anyone had the chance to listen to it yet?

thanks,

Krishnan

raagas
25th November 2009, 06:52 PM
raagas,

As Bala pointed out, thumburu is referring to the lyrics.

Oh..ok.. i thought it was about the song(music).. and was shocked a bit.Sorries!

Hulkster
25th November 2009, 07:05 PM
http://lemarietta.wordpress.com/2009/11/24/cant-cross-the-road-the-same-way-two-times/

Courtesy of Suresh(Hubber sureshmehcnit) From his twitter account

1. Judging from the above article The jazz accompaniments in Paa(especially Gum Sum) must have been played by Attilo Laszlo.

2. Thalaivar reveals a little bit about how he used to be impatient with musicians during his pre-spiritual days but became better as time went on

3. Hungarians are really impressed with thalaivar. He might possibly be doing instrumental works in the near future with them and slowly move away from the film industry.

par
25th November 2009, 07:11 PM
If the lyrics is ok with the director, it should be ok with the music director.

Hulkster
25th November 2009, 07:24 PM
The problem with all these 80s raja lovers is they have not moved on with raja, Rather they have stayed there and forgot who raja is.

If any of them actually spent a while trying to bother to listen to his song fully, you will realise he is trying something new everytime. Dejavu might be because of extremely similar situations coming across him everytime but nowadays he tends to focus on BGM more although this year is a little exception.

He has been consistently trying to move away from his manual style of orchestration(partly due to musicians being more costly to find and also lack of it - Scarcity principle at effect) and trying out various implementations of synth with his style.

I think this has been discussed umpteenth times and this year has been a stronger proof of his delving into synthetic orchestration, he is trying to bring out a genuine style which is different from just mere reprogramming of rhythms or adding loops/sounds as song enhancers.

It is quite surprising becos i find nothing different from the 80s raja till today. The style is there and the orchestration is there. Only instruments changed. :D

raagas
25th November 2009, 07:25 PM
http://lemarietta.wordpress.com/2009/11/24/cant-cross-the-road-the-same-way-two-times/

Courtesy of Suresh(Hubber sureshmehcnit) From his twitter account
He might possibly be doing instrumental works in the near future with them and slow move away from the film industry.

I dont think he would do that, although I would love it if he does that.

Hulkster
25th November 2009, 07:28 PM
I think thalaivar is only staying back in industry due to current generation of directors being fans of him and old contacts and partly due to KR not being established yet. i actually only foresee another five more years before he phases himself out of the industry.

Knowing thalaivar his heart is always burning to do all the experimentations he wanted to do.

Fliflo
25th November 2009, 07:45 PM
I think thalaivar is only staying back in industry due to current generation of directors being fans of him and old contacts and partly due to KR not being established yet.

Ithu Eppadi Theriyum Ungalukku??

Hulkster
25th November 2009, 07:53 PM
Josiyam veichi paarthen :lol2:

I guessed it from the way his projects are lined up and a mixture of his interview comments.

Fliflo
25th November 2009, 08:40 PM
Kalakunga!! ;-))

krish244
25th November 2009, 08:48 PM
This link says album should be available at outlets (Bangalore) starting from Nov 28th.

http://www.radioandmusic.com/content/editorial/news/mirchi-launches-music-kannada-film-suryakaanthi

thanks,

Krishnan

Fliflo
25th November 2009, 08:54 PM
I picked this from Yahoo groups posted by Dr. Vijay.

He has posted a link about Raja's interview to a Hungarian Newspaper. I am giving those links here

Original publication

http://nol.hu/ lap/kult/ 20091118- nincs_ket_ egyforma_ atkeles

Translated version

raagas
25th November 2009, 11:11 PM
I think thalaivar is only staying back in industry due to current generation of directors being fans of him and old contacts and partly due to KR not being established yet. i actually only foresee another five more years before he phases himself out of the industry.

Knowing thalaivar his heart is always burning to do all the experimentations he wanted to do.

Actually no. If you see most of the artists,especially the ones who are committed to the art,they dont want to quit because it is that art which made them whatever they are.Being into it for years and years,there forms a relationship with the profession/art/scheme of things that they dont want to let go of that relationship,which is a sort of attachment.They might even not do brilliant work but still,they just want to be 'in' it.I mean,I am not saying that IR might not do brilliant work,but just an observation.There were very few composers who made a graceful exit.Most of them just wanted to keep doing whatever they were doing, because of the attachment with that work or liking towards it.And i dont think would exit films.He will keep doing films as long as his physical and mental faculties allow him to.

Yes,he can do non-film work also.but i dont think he will quit films for doing non-film albums.

Sanjeevi
26th November 2009, 01:07 AM
Everyone dancing for Paa

http://connect.in.com/paa/play-video-everyone-dancing-for-paa-1883781-d4774d1f31082a448cc57853088940bfb1406e36.html

Can anyone translate to english what they are telling?

app_engine
26th November 2009, 09:49 PM
Well, you can only criticise when there is scope for excellence. Azzhagar Malai, Valmikikku ellAm adhu pOdhumnu nenaichirukkalAm. Again, Remember that he doesnt attend audio functions always - andha functionlAM attend panNi irundhA enna sollli iruppArO yaaru kandA?

ப்ளம்,
வால்மீகி ஆடியோ வெளியீட்டில் கலந்து கொண்டு மிஷ்கினை ஒரு தட்டு தட்டியது மறந்து போச்சா? :-)

என்னைக்கேட்டால், ராசா மேடையில் ஏறினால் பாட்டு மட்டும் பாடுவது அவருக்கும் எல்லோருக்கும் நல்லது :-)

என்றாலும், இந்த மாதிரி "பாட்டு உருவான சந்தர்ப்பங்கள், சூழ்நிலைகளை"ப்பற்றிப்பேசுவதும் சுவையானது தான். மிடியா அதைத்திரித்து வம்பு பண்ணாமலும், அரசியல் தன்மைகள் நுழையாமலும் இருக்கும் வரை :-(

app_engine
26th November 2009, 11:30 PM
[tscii:244b1ba0ec]

The maestro-touch comes through commendably in Ilaiyaraja's re-recording, while Chitra returns with the mellifluous ‘Kundrathu …' strains.

http://beta.thehindu.com/arts/movies/article55247.ece
[/tscii:244b1ba0ec]

krish244
26th November 2009, 11:40 PM
Sanjeevi, the picturisation of PAA theme music (remix) shows people all across the country dancing like AURO character and to the tune (theme remix), so ZOOM (TV) is wondering if it (picturisation) is a marketing gimmick! They need something to talk about...avvalavuthan.

thanks,

Krishnan

Sureshs65
27th November 2009, 09:01 AM
News about the music of forthcoming Kannada film, "Suryakanthi". The critic, a self confessed Raja fan, says the songs are breathtakingly beautiful.

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/11/27/stories/2009112750780200.htm

The cause for concern to Raja fan's of his Kannada movies would be the statement, "Chaitanya had the guts to sign Ilaiyaraja even though the industry feels the Kannada films for which he scores music never succeed." The directors 'Aa Dinagalu' was a well made movie with superb music by Raja. Let us hope this film succeeds as well.

The soundtrack is supposed to release this Sat. Waiting eagerly for it.

krish244
27th November 2009, 09:37 AM
[tscii:161cdea2e7]PR director reacts:

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/38136/pazhassiraja-director-debunks-raja-charge.html

"Even though the much-revered poet O N V Kurup or anyone connected with the film refrained from reacting to the charge, hundreds of O N V’s well-wishers took on Ilayaraja’s ‘skewed’ interpretation of the situation. It was in this context that Hariharan said in Chennai on Thursday that Ilayaraja had no such complaints when he was handed over the lyrics. “The verses were meant to go with the marching warriors and not as he wished. Also, it is not his business to decide how the song should be conceived, that’s for me and M T Vasudevan Nair (script writer) to decide,” he said."

Hope this does not lead into his (IR) reduced chances in malluwood.

Krishnan[/tscii:161cdea2e7]

Hulkster
27th November 2009, 09:55 AM
Once again another misinterpretation :lol2:, looks like all did not manage to read into thalaivar's words properly. Its clear that thalaivar was expressing his creativity on how he made the song reflecting both the lyrics and the actual pain rather than throwing disappointment around.

Sureshs65
27th November 2009, 10:34 AM
Hulk,

The opening para of the article clearly says something that Raja did not!!! I don't think anyone has the patience to actually go through the speech. Maybe they would have actually gone through the speech but still write what they want. That is one way to create controversy and that sells papers!!

As one of my friends remarked, Raja does manage to keep himself in news, may not be for the right reasons always :)

Hulkster
27th November 2009, 11:31 AM
Hulk,

The opening para of the article clearly says something that Raja did not!!! I don't think anyone has the patience to actually go through the speech. Maybe they would have actually gone through the speech but still write what they want. That is one way to create controversy and that sells papers!!

As one of my friends remarked, Raja does manage to keep himself in news, may not be for the right reasons always :)

I think thalaivar does not come to functions alot because he knows how his words will get switched and swapped even more than a switch case in java. Journalists nowadays are the worst form of demons, they either over exaggerate or over rubbishify whatever they see. :banghead:

rajasaranam
27th November 2009, 11:35 AM
[tscii:fed6f5b465]
Ilayaraja had no such complaints when he was handed over the lyrics. “The verses were meant to go with the marching warriors and not as he wished. Also, it is not his business to decide how the song should be conceived, that’s for me and M T Vasudevan Nair (script writer) to decide,” he said."

Hmmm... did HH react this way or is it another journalist's misinterpreted version?!!
If its infact HH's words then we can only expect that there are high chances of Raaja being banned in Malluwood shortly. [/tscii:fed6f5b465]

krish244
27th November 2009, 11:59 AM
If its infact HH's words then we can only expect that there are high chances of Raaja being banned in Malluwood shortly.

This is what I feel too. If it was a journalist's interpretation, I would not be concerned at all. For that matter, I don't think anyone need to be concerned. I hope this does not get bloated up further.

thanks,

Krishnan

anegan
27th November 2009, 01:10 PM
இங்கே எனது சகோதரர்கள் கூண்டில் அடைபட்டு கூறு கிழிக்க படுக்ரார்கள். தமிழரித்தே இதை கேட்ட்க நாதி இல்லை.
அங்கே ஒரு மலையாள கவிஞரை பற்றி பேசியதற்காக அமைச்சர் வரை அறிக்கை விடுகிறார்கள். நாம் கற்றுகொள்ள நிறையவே இருக்கிறது.

இளையராஜா வேண்டாம் என்றால் அவர்களுக்கே நட்டம். எமக்கும் தான்.

-அநேகன்

Plum
27th November 2009, 01:21 PM
Rajasaranam, apdi ellAm kavalai pada vEndAm. Hariharan is not a regular customer for Raja :-).
And there are so many camps in malluwood so this shouldnt hurt much - I dont think, for instance, that Anthikkad will have any problems with IR because of this.

Shankar
27th November 2009, 02:19 PM

This isn't a good argument....when there's no scope for excellence, why should he compose?

If he says I'm badly in need of money, and I will score to any ritheesss, RK & velu prabakaran, I'm fine with that.
Oru pre written lyrics-ai (which is a beautiful one by any standard) thEvayE illAma criticize paNNa vEndiyadhu adhE moochilE pOi "kooda varuviyA" "raaasa...rOsaaa" nu standard sandhathOda pAttu Podaradhu...idhu endha vidhathula oththukkaradhu??

a genuine fan, who's waiting for anything good from his Idol will feel let down.

Plum
27th November 2009, 02:24 PM
shankar, if he had spoken about valmiki lyrics, who knows what he'd have said?

thumburu
27th November 2009, 02:47 PM

May be you should stop Listening to Raaja's Music altogether till you come out of the 'bourgeois' (=Mettukudi) mindset you have, ...or if possible stop posting your opinions with narrow mindset.
We will not be at loss if the likes of you don't post here.

overzealous 'poliskaars' like you should spare me your browbeating tactics. They are as old as cobwebs. You may be enjoying a good amount of clout in these forums. so?

thumburu
27th November 2009, 02:58 PM
Thumburu, when you get time, please listen to the following pre-written lyrics albums:
1. Bharathi
2. Parts of Ramana Maalai
Above all
3. Thiruvasagam

"Ramana maalai" kettadhillai. I had already mentioned Bharathi.
Even in TIS, before the start of the last hymn "putril vaazh" . Raja gives us a glimpse of his 'modus operandi' in selecting which verses fit his composition. However, "pollaa vinaiyen" , "umbarkarase" would have been the other way around , for , without "pollaa vinaiyen", the Shivapuranam, any work on Thiruvasagam would have been incomplete

thumburu
27th November 2009, 03:15 PM
This Thumburu, whoever it is.....
is totally pathetic....all I can imagine is that he or she is a ARR fan very much disguised as IR old timer and looking for cheap thrills here...

Absolutely braindead specimen! No point in taking it seriously and wasting space responding or even acknowledging....in my opinion...

If Adhiuhya is a pedestrian tune then I am keen to know how he describes all the latest ARR tunes....

Unezy lies the head bloated with nothing but hot air !!!

Hulkster
27th November 2009, 03:19 PM
Looks like the "genuine" fans and the journalists are no different, making something out of nothing and somehow bringing in assumptions only logical to cavemen. :lol2:

Let us all instead focus on two upcoming albums.

Suryakanthi on NOV 28(This is the day the album is out on stores officially)

Om Shanti Om on DEC 5(Official Audio Release)

:bluejump: :redjump:

Sureshs65
27th November 2009, 04:44 PM
Shankar,

I just don't understand your argument. If we, who are not artists, can criticize Raja left, right and center for scoring for Velu Prabhakaran's movie, for scoring for bad lyrics, for scoring for 'Kannukulle Mannukulle' etc, why is it that a great artist like Raja should keep quite and not say anything about what he felt the scene required? You are very clear that you have the right to demand exactly what you need from Raja but Raja, as a part of the crew, has no right to say what he feels a situation in the movie needs? I think you are taking yourself and your opinion a bit too seriously.

Raja in his speech has not said that the lyrics are bad. He just said that he was expecting something else given his understanding of the scene. Why is this logic so difficult for people to understand? (If there was any criticism in the function it was for the titles 'Superstar' and 'Supreme Star'. )

Sureshs65
27th November 2009, 04:47 PM
Even in TIS, before the start of the last hymn "putril vaazh" . Raja gives us a glimpse of his 'modus operandi' in selecting which verses fit his composition.

This was the argument that 'athi medhavis' like Gnani gave to accuse Raja of tuning first and then selecting the lyrics. I am disappointed that a person like you, who knows her music, actually buys into this argument !!!

svarman
27th November 2009, 07:10 PM
Thalaivar is not bothered...and I am not bothered...just listen to his songs and discuss about them!

No human being or any creature on this planet is perfect...

2009 is brilliant for me because of Thalaivar and I am still in a trance after his PR and PAA!!!

However , it is my sincere opininon, most of you are wasting time on this Forum.....

Vazhga Thalaivar!!!!

svarman
27th November 2009, 07:13 PM
I have been a visitor since 1997 and especially after Kadhalukku mariyathai. It is gratifying to see that Thalaivar's music is still being discusssed in the same venom and passion, as it used to be 12 years ago!!!

Vazhga Thalaivar and his music!!!!

app_engine
27th November 2009, 07:14 PM
In any case, controversies - as long as they don't get out of control like politicians / rioters etc stepping in - are good fodder :-)

Though there's a strong possibility of net loss for IR in this episode (possible NA gone, a possible good future venture with HH gone etc), the whole thing of "speaking out one's mind" is a good thingy :-)

And, IMO, IR can comfortably afford that at this point of his career :-)

chash
27th November 2009, 07:17 PM
I dont think anything controversial in this,, just check this link,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0rvMg4Xpb0&feature=related

Plum
27th November 2009, 07:21 PM
app, I dont think he loses much. Hariharan is pushing 72, and his last few outings before Pazhassi Raja were critical and commercial washouts. People make fun of him in kerala that he never succeeds without MT. He is not that influential a figure there.

As for Natl Award, I dont think it is like Oscar where the maker needs to lobby etc. This is a simple function of the committee configuration. No amount of lobbying is going to help if a opinionated bolly figure dominates the committee. Or, if a anti-IR tamil film industry scion happens to head the committee. So, anyway there is only a miniscule chance of IR getting NA for this. Even if Kerala wants to scuttle IR's chances, oru pullum pudunga mudiyaadhu unless one of them happens to head the committee

Gokulam Gopalan is another unpopular figure as well in the Kerala industry. If Mammotty gets pissed off, OTOH, then IR is in trouble...

app_engine
27th November 2009, 07:27 PM
I dont think anything controversial in this,, just check this link,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0rvMg4Xpb0&feature=related

True, i.e. for you and me (and the like minded ones). However, for those who want some adi-dhadi out of anything coming out of his mouth, this is quite juicy. If you follow the media, this didn't happen on the same day or next day of his speech. People did some "room booking" , before coming out with all kinds of ladAi out of this :-)

app_engine
27th November 2009, 07:32 PM
If Mammotty gets pissed off, OTOH, then IR is in trouble...

There's no trouble even then :-) AnthikkAd is of Lal camp :-)

He has been there - seen that (MR / KB / AVM etc). Once more, that's all :-)

Plum
27th November 2009, 07:35 PM
app, ofcourse I mentioned anthikkad earlier also as someone who is unlikely to ditch IR for non-professional reasons.
What I meant is Mammookka is heavily influential with AMMA, and that sure means something ;-)

Bala (Karthik)
28th November 2009, 12:13 AM
S.Shiva Kumar in today's Bangalore edition of The Hindu has written a glowing review of Ilaiyaraaja's music of Suryakanthi. Unable to find the link.....

Sureshs65
28th November 2009, 12:50 AM
Bala,

I had given the link earlier in this thread. Here it is once again:

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/11/27/stories/2009112750780200.htm

baroque
28th November 2009, 08:30 AM
FANTASTIC! :musicsmile:
Chaitanya and Chetan - IMPRESSIVE DUO :redjump:
VINATHA.

eagle
28th November 2009, 08:27 PM
app, ofcourse I mentioned anthikkad earlier also as someone who is unlikely to ditch IR for non-professional reasons.
What I meant is Mammookka is heavily influential with AMMA, and that sure means something ;-)

And that is not END OF THE WORLD for raaja... :wink:

genesis
29th November 2009, 06:45 AM
I am not sure how popular and good ONV Kurup is in Malluwood, but I would guess he should be good enough to get a chance to write lyrics in a big movie like PA. Such a good poet not able to write to multiple IR tunes...?!! I guess there was a little game played by Director and Lyricist to extract a tune from IR for the pre-written, already decided on lyrics. The tune is good, though not the best of IR. (No doubt, the lyrics and KJ's rendition make this song very special, not tune. It is also good to listen good lyrics in IR's tune after looooong time)

IR should have not talked about this in public. It is going to damage his Malluwood chances to large extend in the near future. As app_engine mentioned, he had been there, done that. No surprise.

Hulkster
29th November 2009, 07:31 AM
You guys make Ilaiyaraaja sound like some upcoming music composer against the giant of malayalam cinema which is ONV Kurup. Have you guys sort of forgotten how BIG thalaivar is in the music industry?

1) The first Asian to score a SYMPHONY
2) One of the very few indian composers who has worldwide recognition(University of Iowa uses his HTNI as a case study for their music course)
3) Commands respect everywhere he goes whether its India or Hungary

You guys decide who is at a loss, the malluwood industry or thalaivar.

Saagar
29th November 2009, 07:46 AM
ONV is highly regarded & is a poet, not a person in the league of "Film Lyricists".

I had seen one of the first promo programme on Malayala Manorama Channel when the film released. I had mentioned in one of the earlier posts at that time that ONV mentioned in this interview that Kunnathe was written to tune and Aadhi was tuned to lyrics.

If I can recollect the interview, while he explained the significance of each of the lines in Kunnathe, he said that "popular to contrary beleif that I have written the songs to pretuned lyrics, Aadhi is actually tuned to lyrics, adding that there are some songs that you cannot write to a tune. The situation of Aadhi Ushas is not something that you can write to a tune, with the historical significance, many things have to be conveyed in the lyrics. Kunnathe is a love situation,where you can write to a tune, for which I have written to a very beutiful tune". He also mentioned about why the lines "kunnathe konnaikkum pon mothiram" for a few minutes, but the explantion itself was high brow stuff!

From the entire episode, the situation is to be blamed - the fact that the lyricist & the musician were never once in a face to face sitting in such a high profile situation/song that has taken months to conceive.

The major culprit is the media. After watching the youtube video, it's really saddening that mdeia carried the report totally out of context, almost making IR a villain. Sify headline like IR humiliates ONV ... was too much. These have been picked up by local vernacular newspapers.

Still, considering the language card that normally is hugely exploited in India (MNS-marathi Being latest example), after the way the incident has been misrepresented in the media, it could have easily blown into an "Insult to language/Our poet by outsider etc.." issue. Mallu's in general have hardly reacted to this except for the Education & cultural affairs minister MA Baby (who's infamous for giving an opinion about anythong & everything), but he too has not lifted the "Insult to Language" card as may have happened elsewhere. Another reason is the huge following & regard IR himself commands among Mallu's.

Sureshs65
29th November 2009, 09:09 AM
Saagar,

A nice and balanced post. No one needs to doubt the talents or the legacy of either ONV or Raja. Seeing the video of Raja's speech and your post regarding ONV's interview, I will agree with you that had the lyricist and music director met, things would have been resolved and it is indeed surprising that for such a high profile movie, they didn't meet. Both of them being high caliber artists, had their own views of what the situation needed. We as listeners must be happy that such artists exist in our midst, who actually care for the film and not just for their own success. More power to them, even if it means a few more misunderstandings :)

What you say about the language card is very true as well and people in Mallu land have regularly been above this when it comes to literature and music. I remember a few years back Jeyamohan wrote an article in Malayalam which criticized almost all the current Malayalam poets and the then prevalent poetic style. I have read the Tamil translation of this article. There were huge debates in Kerala regarding this article for long years, according to Jeyamohan. Yet Jeyamohan is highly regarded even now in Kerala and holds conferences related to poetry wherein both the Tamil and Malayalam poets present their poetry and he has lot of friends in the Malayalam poetic circles. So I am not worried about Raja's case at all. I am very confident that the more musically and lyrically inclined people will see through the sensationalism of the media.

Shankar
29th November 2009, 11:34 AM
You guys make Ilaiyaraaja sound like some upcoming music composer against the giant of malayalam cinema which is ONV Kurup. Have you guys sort of forgotten how BIG thalaivar is in the music industry?

2) One of the very few indian composers who has worldwide recognition(University of Iowa uses his HTNI as a case study for their music course)
3) Commands respect everywhere he goes whether its India or Hungary

You guys decide who is at a loss, the malluwood industry or thalaivar.

As of now, Raja is running out of customers, and that's the reality ! When some good people come to you with good offers, utilize it and be good to them....This is basic business sense!

All your bulleted items are true but aren't of any use in an industry where your commercial value as it stands TODAY is all that matters.

You can say HTNI being used in IOWA and all those great things, but the reality is, he's slowly, and steadily going out of favor from worthy directors.

At the moment, it's Raja's loss, because guys like HH/Sathyan anthikkad/Fazil are the ones who have extracted the best out of him in recent time (I hope Fazil/Sathyan don't ditch him because of his comments)

Bala (Karthik)
29th November 2009, 12:02 PM

Just a small nitpick:
The whole controversy behind it (the objections from certain sections and Raaja's subsequent silence) was that it did not conform to the grammar of symphony

Hulkster
29th November 2009, 12:45 PM

Just a small nitpick:
The whole controversy behind it (the objections from certain sections and Raaja's subsequent silence) was that it did not conform to the grammar of symphony

I think your talking about TIS. The symphony I am talking about nobody has heard it except a select few with the exceptions of RPO, Sir John Scott and the man who did the symphony himself :lol2:. And knowing thalaivar well, he never talks back amazingly unless provoked to that extent.

And Mr Genuine Fan, to you it is raja's loss, but to him it is not a loss as he is not even interested in the first place. Business has never bothered him one bit and he only eats and breathes music.

Havent you see the way he speaks that he does not even bother about films that much. In the same youtube link there is a snapshot where he says he will usually finish films in 30 minutes. That is how "interested" he is. I think the loss is more from fans like you as you guys believe he exists within a certain spectrum and his tunes only reflect at that point. I dunt think you guys ever understood his style of music in the first place. Just fans by chance thats all.

Sanjeevi
29th November 2009, 01:02 PM
was watching Suriyakanti special show in a kannada channel, today morning. They played songs. After hearing a soothing very soft melody I wondered was it composed by a teenage / upcoming composer?

Bala (Karthik)
29th November 2009, 01:03 PM
I think your talking about TIS.

I was NOT talking about TIS, i was talking about the work which he did with RPO :lol2:

And Mr Genuine Fan, to you it is raja's loss, but to him it is not a loss as he is not even interested in the first place. Business has never bothered him one bit and he only eats and breathes music.

Haven't you see the way he speaks that he does not even bother about films that much. In the same youtube link there is a snapshot where he says he will usually finish films in 30 minutes. That is how "interested" he is. I think the loss is more from fans like you as you guys believe he exists within a certain spectrum and his tunes only reflect at that point. I dunt think you guys ever understood his style of music in the first place. Just fans by chance thats all.
Mr. Music-Messiah-Anointed-By-Ilaiyaraaja-himself,
Like De Niro says "You talkin to me?" :lol2:
Edhukku idhellam en kitta solreenga? What did i mention about any loss or whatever? What are you blabbering about? What is the topic of discussion? Are you talking about the RPO work or what? And this is in reply to what exactly?
FYI, i didn't even see the youtube speech which is the subject of the whole controversy and i clearly said i don't want to talk about it here. I expressed neither negative nor positive reaction on the whole thing. No comments.

Do you have any more lectures for lesser mortals like us for today or are you done? :lol2:
[P.S: Next time you launch another of those lectures of yours please speak a bit louder. You are not very audible from deep within the well where you are. Thanks]

Bala (Karthik)
29th November 2009, 01:19 PM
And Mr-well-frog-Hulk-who-doesnt-act-his-age,
It would be a good idea to start knowing the subject you are lecturing on, be it music, acting/films or football. Thanks :notworthy:

Hulkster
29th November 2009, 01:51 PM
I think your talking about TIS.

I was NOT talking about TIS, i was talking about the work which he did with RPO :lol2:

Haven't you see the way he speaks that he does not even bother about films that much. In the same youtube link there is a snapshot where he says he will usually finish films in 30 minutes. That is how "interested" he is. I think the loss is more from fans like you as you guys believe he exists within a certain spectrum and his tunes only reflect at that point. I dunt think you guys ever understood his style of music in the first place. Just fans by chance thats all.
Mr. Music-Messiah-Anointed-By-Ilaiyaraaja-himself,
Like De Niro says "You talkin to me?" :lol2:
Edhukku idhellam en kitta solreenga? What did i mention about any loss or whatever? What are you blabbering about? What is the topic of discussion? Are you talking about the RPO work or what? And this is in reply to what exactly?
FYI, i didn't even see the youtube speech which is the subject of the whole controversy and i clearly said i don't want to talk about it here. I expressed neither negative nor positive reaction on the whole thing. No comments.

Do you have any more lectures for lesser mortals like us for today or are you done? :lol2:
[P.S: Next time you launch another of those lectures of yours please speak a bit louder. You are not very audible from deep within the well where you are. Thanks]

The latter part was for Mr Shankar not for you(starting from genuine fan as he calls himself genuine fan) and his quotes regarding thalaivar being at a loss due to all these "chances" lost.

The earlier part(which was to you), to clarify again it is a symphony. An article not posted not long ago, spoke of a fan's conversation with Sir John Scott where he said the reason due to thalaivar not releasing the symphony was due to him being hurt by a critic's comment(who that critic was GOD only knows). He tried to speak thalaivar into releasing it but it seems he would not budge. It is a symphony but because he has not released it, people are making up stories about it as they usually do without even knowing what it is like.

Hulkster
29th November 2009, 02:22 PM
Once again thalaivar's kannada albums takes AGES to reach the shelves. Cant they just use helicopter or aeroplane to transport all the CDs if the Bangalore traffic is that bad. :rotfl2:

Hulkster
29th November 2009, 03:45 PM
Suryakaanti Soundtrack Listing

1. Swalpa Soundu - Anitha,Roshni,ilaiyaraaja
2. Chan Channare - Shreya Goshal
3. Edeya Baagilu - Kunal Ganjawala, Shreya Goshal
4. Mouni Naanu - Karthik
5. Jaikara Haakoona - Tippu, Roshni
6. Mouni Naanu(Pathos) - Karthik

Hulkster
29th November 2009, 03:48 PM
Swalpa Soundu is stunning, another pathbreaking song by thalaivar with thalaivar singing in a very weird and funny voice to match the situation. Pesarathukku Vaartheiyey ellei, top of the must-listen-to-believe songs list. :notworthy:

Thalaivar ungalai padaikkum bothu over talent koduthaaru kadavul. Ennama paadupaduthurey nammai nee :notworthy:

Hulkster
29th November 2009, 03:52 PM
Chan Channare is a playful melody with genre-crossing interludes. Not as stunning as the above one but thalaivar has really orchestrated the song to a level where we fans are astounded. Saxophone pops in here and then and yes thalaivi Shreya sounds excellent. :clap:

Hulkster
29th November 2009, 03:59 PM
Edeya Baagilu is the 60s broadway musical song that everyone has been raving about. But knowing thalaivar he does not really stick to the whole format, in fact the interludes mixes that style with a more jazzy, "beach" - like feel.

Super maa, thalaivar ennamo seinchirukaaru, pirichi meiyum bothu thalai vazhikkethu. :frightened:

Hulkster
29th November 2009, 04:03 PM
Mouni Naanu has amazing piano usage in the prelude and the second interlude. A very soulful song and with more synth stepping in. I am not sure what raaga it is based on but it has a tinge of familiar numbers. But the orchestration is enough to rid us of all these thinking.

Saagar
29th November 2009, 04:05 PM
http://www.nowrunning.com/news/malayalam/ilaiyaraja-has-no-right-to-criticize-onv-hariharan/27809/story.htm

Saagar
29th November 2009, 04:06 PM
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/38136/pazhassiraja-director-debunks-raja-charge.html

Hulkster
29th November 2009, 04:09 PM
Jaikara Haakkoona is a pacey folkish number that brings back all the nostalgia. Charanams are like that of Bagyada Balegara title song with the style changing midway from a rustic rhythm to a westernised rhythm and then mixing them just before it starts all over again.

Hulkster
29th November 2009, 04:12 PM
The Mouni Naanu Pathos version is a very short version of the original song, but with a more sombre mood as it suggests with Karthik and the synth background bringing it live.

Amazing album, yelaarum roundu katti vanthu keilunga. :victory:

Hulkster
29th November 2009, 05:27 PM
The link to hear the samples

http://sevenmountain.blogspot.com/2009/11/suryakanthi-songs.html

You guys can listen to it temporarily until the album comes. :D

Saagar
29th November 2009, 05:55 PM
Suryakanthi - Amazing album - IR in complete form.

Two listenings done. Too good - More than what I had expected.What a year it has been! Hope the run continues!

eagle
29th November 2009, 06:53 PM
Marupadiyum chaaru vedhaalam....

நான் ஜோக்கரா இல்லையா என்பதை காலம் தீர்மானிக்கட்டும். பா என்ற இந்திப் படத்துக்கு உன் இளையராஜா எப்படி பாட்டுப் போட்டிருக்கிறார் என்பதை தயவு செய்து இசை தெரிந்தவர்களிடம் கேட்டுப் பார். வட இந்திய சினிமாவில் இப்படி ஒரு நகைச்சுவையைக் கேள்வி கூடப் பட்டது கிடையாது என்று சிரிக்கிறார்கள். இளையராஜாவை பா படத்தின் காரணமாக அங்கே எல்லோரும் ஜோக்கராகவே பார்க்கிறார்கள். இல்லை என்று யாராவது நிரூபித்தால் நான் எழுதுவதையே நிறுத்திக் கொள்கிறேன்

Saagar
29th November 2009, 06:57 PM
What's the exact number of films IR has composed? Somewhere he himself says (probably PR audio release) - ...about 850 films, Raajangham site itself gives a list of 1020 films...that's without films after year 2000.

Sureshs65
29th November 2009, 06:58 PM
My first pass through 'Suryakanthi' now. Quite different orchestration. It keeps up with the jazzy arrangements that Raja has been doing regularly in recent times. The Shreya / Kunal song is very well done. The recording quality is very good as well. Will post a detailed review after listening to this a couple of times.

Sureshs65
29th November 2009, 07:01 PM
Saagar,

The list may probably include dubbed films as well.

eagle
29th November 2009, 07:02 PM
Wondering paa's songs are that bad? It beats me... may be its having a inherent south indian flavor to them but are they simply laughable?... anybody north indian following hub postings? can clarify this....

Sureshs65
29th November 2009, 07:02 PM
eagle,

vidunga. arasiyalla idellam sagajamappa endru vitu vidavendiyathu dhan.

Sureshs65
29th November 2009, 07:06 PM
eagle,

First, I think we should not take Charu seriously. He is no music connoisseur. There are enough in this forum and in other forums who have written about Paa's music. So giving Charu any benefit of doubt is useless. Unless he actually proves that he knows music.

Second, 'Paa' was listed in the top selling albums according to one link posted here earlier. It plays often in the radio and is the caller tune of many. It has received lot of positive reviews in many sites, links to which were provided here.

So my request to you. Don't get upset if Charu talks bad about Raja or his music.

eagle
29th November 2009, 07:11 PM
eagle,

vidunga. arasiyalla idellam sagajamappa endru vitu vidavendiyathu dhan.

Its true that he attacks raaja at any given opportunity.. but this one is really too much... when we think paa is showcasing his composing prowess to north indian audience...is there any truth in what he says?

Sureshs65
29th November 2009, 07:15 PM
Its true that he attacks raaja at any given opportunity.. but this one is really too much... when we think paa is showcasing his composing prowess to north indian audience...is there any truth in what he says?

None whatsoever eagle. We should not even give him the dignity of reply to such stupid accusations. The sales of the CD have been good and the music has really caught up. More than anything else, we need to believe our own ears.

And if you observe carefully he makes unsubstantiated claims about the music and wants _you_ to prove him wrong :lol:

Hulkster
29th November 2009, 07:19 PM
Intha kosu patri engey news poduruthey oru periya prachanai. Anaalum thalaivarakku appo appo dishti kalikkanum so this is acceptable :lol2:

Suryakanthi songs are mesmerizing, but Swalpa Soundu is just beyond comparison. Yengirinthu intha songai compose penaar. :notworthy:

Hulkster
29th November 2009, 07:24 PM
Chan Channare is catching up with me, the interludes are pure bliss and totally thalaivar-rocking.

eagle
29th November 2009, 07:25 PM
And if you observe carefully he makes unsubstantiated claims about the music and wants _you_ to prove him wrong :lol:

I got it when i read it first time itself.... thats why he carefully avoids tamil listeners opinion on them... my concern was how a normal north indian music listener perceives Paa songs.

BTW when TIS was released i asked one of my mallu christian colleague about it and she said its a trash :cry: ...

Sometimes i find it difficult to put these things into perspective..on one hand we say raaja is easily accessible to common man and music Connoisseur and we have these types of comments coming out....

Hulkster
29th November 2009, 07:29 PM
Eagle saab, when it comes to music we all have different requirements of it. While some of us are bound by thalaivar's style of music, there are some who prefer energy in songs to make them move and some who just prefer techno sounds. There is nothing bad, it is just preference and everyone is bound to be different. There are some who are adverse to classical music saying it turns them off. Yellam characteristics and situation poruthuthu.

Do not be turned off by such comments, namma ulagathil ithu pothum, avanga ulagathil athu pothum nu freeya vida vendiyethu thaan. :D

Saagar
29th November 2009, 07:54 PM
[tscii:124806420a]For what people in North feel on Paa's music, have a look at bigb.bigadda.com, everyday many of the guys post comments, & invariably there's always a comment on Paa's music.

Today's comment :

Vishal Sharma says:
November 29, 2009 at 6:04 pm
I Beileve: PAA = ” Bollywood Redefinition” With Regards to Mr Bachchan’s acting.. “Seeing is believing”, all I can express is that the other actors are in for shorter nights and longer day’s post film release. Music that just soothes your nerves.. Vidya and Abhishek.. Good Job, but this is Big B’s film.. My Best wishes on the release of ” PAA”, best seen by me so far…. Sir,U Rock… God Bless !!!!
[/tscii:124806420a]

Fliflo
29th November 2009, 08:21 PM
Charu may be right and here is why North Indians laugh to his music. :lol:

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/bollywood/news/2009/paa-monkey-dance-music-video-261109.html

eagle
29th November 2009, 08:45 PM
http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/2009/11/mudhi-mudhi.html

Sureshs65
29th November 2009, 08:55 PM
eagle,

You got the right site :) For it is people like Vicky, who know their music and are musicians themselves, whose opinion would matter more than the Charu's of this world. I would say that we can respect your colleague's opinion about TiS more than Charu's unwanted comments.

MumbaiRamki
29th November 2009, 09:04 PM
Edeye Bagilu mesmerises wi8th its jazzy feel - more than even Paa songs..

Mouni naanu is vintag raaja !

Rest of songs impressed in orchestartion , but not overall..better than kannukulley , mathiya chennai , but falls short of Paa Overall

Sanjeevi
29th November 2009, 09:13 PM

நான் ஜோக்கரா இல்லையா என்பதை காலம் தீர்மானிக்கட்டும். பா என்ற இந்திப் படத்துக்கு உன் இளையராஜா எப்படி பாட்டுப் போட்டிருக்கிறார் என்பதை தயவு செய்து இசை தெரிந்தவர்களிடம் கேட்டுப் பார். வட இந்திய சினிமாவில் இப்படி ஒரு நகைச்சுவையைக் கேள்வி கூடப் பட்டது கிடையாது என்று சிரிக்கிறார்கள். இளையராஜாவை பா படத்தின் காரணமாக அங்கே எல்லோரும் ஜோக்கராகவே பார்க்கிறார்கள். இல்லை என்று யாராவது நிரூபித்தால் நான் எழுதுவதையே நிறுத்திக் கொள்கிறேன்

இந்த கொசுத்தொல்ல தங்க முடியல

Sureshs65
29th November 2009, 09:24 PM
Edeya Bagilu is just amazing. Very well sung and very well orchestrated. Excellent job by everyone concerned.

Sureshs65
29th November 2009, 09:26 PM
Ramki,

"Chan Channare" is definitely worth multiple listens. I feel Raja has deliberately given a vintage feel to this song. Shreya does a lovely job for this song.

MumbaiRamki
29th November 2009, 10:55 PM
Ramki,

"Chan Channare" is definitely worth multiple listens. I feel Raja has deliberately given a vintage feel to this
song. Shreya does a lovely job for this song.

The initially chaan jikku chaan humming put me off :)

yes - eventually its a nice song , esp the charanam ..but not in the top leage in my IMHO :)

Sureshs65
29th November 2009, 11:02 PM
Ramki,

I am keen on seeing the picturisation of this particular song because I feel the 80s feel is deliberate here. The whole feel is like that of a 80s Telugu song. Raja does seem to be enjoying himself in this song with his orchestration.

Sureshs65
29th November 2009, 11:12 PM
Listening to the songs of Suryakanthi. Somehow I get the feeling that the vintage touch given for this album is deliberate. I am not sure but is the story supposed to take place in 80s? The orchestration is modern but the overall feel is a vintage one. Is it deliberate?

Sanjeevi
29th November 2009, 11:30 PM
Swalpa Soundu - is the average one? :evil:. I just love this song especially the topclass second interlude reminds the famous one from Ninnukkori Varanum song. Inthalukku manasum brainum innum ilamaithan

baroque
29th November 2009, 11:57 PM
Edeya Baagilu....very nice :musicsmile:
I love AA DINAGALU.
Chetan in assassin role. I expect a good movie !
thanks, HULK for the audio samples.
Vinatha.

krish244
30th November 2009, 12:20 AM
Edeya Baagilu is impressive for sure. Among other songs, I liked "Mouni Naanu" (pathos) and Chan Chanare for its catchyness, orchestration and Shreya's singing (although I did not like the "chaanku chaku" and "daanku dikku" chorus...but maybe its new to Kannada territory).

Need to listen to the album a couple of more times.

thanks,

Krishnan

anegan
30th November 2009, 03:00 AM
eagle,

You got the right site :) For it is people like Vicky, who know their music and are musicians themselves, whose opinion would matter more than the Charu's of this world. I would say that we can respect your colleague's opinion about TiS more than Charu's unwanted comments.

இவர் இத்தாலி, பல்கேரியா, செகோச்லோவகியா, கிரேக்கம் மற்றும் பிற நாடுகளில் இருந்து அவர்களது இசையையும் மற்றும் பல கலாசாரத்தயும் நமக்கு படம் போட்டு காட்டி உள்ளார்:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: . சாருவின் (பெயரை type செய்யவே கை கூசுகிறது) பல வெளிநாட்டு கூற்றுகளை நாம் உண்மை என்று என்றாவது நம்பயுளோமா?
நான் என்றும் சொல்வது போல், இவர் (மலிவான) விளம்பர பிரியர்.

rajasaranam
30th November 2009, 11:24 AM
Strictly for Academic Interest :lol2:
http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2009/11/29/music-review-suryakaanti-kannada-ilayaraja/ :rotfl3:

rajasaranam
30th November 2009, 11:57 AM
Was Listening to 'Jaikara Haakkoona' from SK a modified version of 'Peru Vechalum Veckaama Ponalum' from MMKR. AS the mind raced back to the soundscape of MMKR song, it evokes in me some other song that I heard from recent releases :think:

rajasaranam
30th November 2009, 12:06 PM
Is it Raaja Singing in 'Swalpa Soundu'?!! :roll: He is mimicking Yuvan Probably :D

rajasaranam
30th November 2009, 12:14 PM
Chan Chanare is reminiscent of 'Anumanaspadam' and many other Telugu Songs of the 80's and the best part is it doesnt Bore you :)

Sanjeevi
30th November 2009, 12:23 PM
OK SK is not in the league of PR or Paa. I go with some people here "Edeya Baagilu" and "Mouni Naanu" stand out and others are good here and there.

I don't have expectation about this album and I feel the songs are bonus for me after PR and Paa :)

Hulkster
30th November 2009, 04:14 PM
Yup that is thalaivar singing in Swalpa Soundu. Yaaruvethu avarakku paadum sakalakala vallavan nu pattam kodunga pa, 66 yrs old voice yellam maathi maathi paaduraaru :D

Swalpa Soundu is the track that probably fuses alot of styles. The percussion rhythm in second interlude is one of its kind. Thalaiva :notworthy:

Plum
30th November 2009, 08:13 PM
mAsA mAsam, inge oru fan-ai pudichikittu, neeyi genunine-A illaiyAnnu aaraichi pandradhu vazhakkamA pOchu.
(*quivering in my boots - merA number kab AyegA?* :lol: )

rooky
30th November 2009, 08:24 PM
[tscii:afcabe0bf2]

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/kannada/article/52180.html

In the CD of ‘Suryakanthi’ additional bonus is the recent hit songs of music maestro Illayaraja.

Any idea what these songs are ?[/tscii:afcabe0bf2]

Shankar.P
30th November 2009, 08:25 PM
Paa to be released in 20 countries with 700 prints

http://movies.ndtv.com/movie_story.aspx?Section=Movies&ID=ENTEN20090119128&subcatg=MOVIESINDIA&keyword=bollywood

jaiganes
30th November 2009, 10:48 PM
SK songs are real fun - vintage rajavai tediumnu solravangala paathaa enikku paavama irukku.

Sanjeevi
30th November 2009, 10:52 PM
What movie is this?

http://in.movies.yahoo.com/movies/Fankaar/details-8968.html

rooky
30th November 2009, 11:06 PM
What movie is this?

http://in.movies.yahoo.com/movies/Fankaar/details-8968.html

i guess it is "Kalaignan" which was directed by a person named Vijay.

rajasaranam
1st December 2009, 09:27 AM
'Mouni Naanu' is a Clever Manipulation of 'Prema Ledani' (http://www.raaga.com/play/?id=1506) from Abhinandhana is what I feel :D Great Melodies both are!

rajasaranam
1st December 2009, 09:31 AM
SK songs are real fun - vintage rajavai tediumnu solravangala paathaa enikku paavama irukku.கவிதை எழுதி பெயர் வாங்குபவர்கள் சிலர் இருக்க, குற்றம் சொல்லியே பெயர் வாங்குபவர்கள் சிலரும் இருப்பார்கள். இதில் இவர் இரண்டாம் ரகம். :D

nanchil_guy
1st December 2009, 11:19 AM
SK songs are real fun - vintage rajavai tediumnu solravangala paathaa enikku paavama irukku.கவிதை எழுதி பெயர் வாங்குபவர்கள் சிலர் இருக்க, குற்றம் சொல்லியே பெயர் வாங்குபவர்கள் சிலரும் இருப்பார்கள். இதில் இவர் இரண்டாம் ரகம். :D

vidunga RS! His taste might be different or the songs might not have appealed to him. But any reviewer should not let his taste/bias come into the picture while revieing anything! sadly thats not happening now a days.

raagas
1st December 2009, 11:52 AM
'Mouni Naanu' is a Clever Manipulation of 'Prema Ledani' (http://www.raaga.com/play/?id=1506) from Abhinandhana is what I feel :D Great Melodies both are!

RS,

you just nailed it exactly right.It is really a clever manipulation of Prema Ledhani.

Sanjeevi
1st December 2009, 12:02 PM

RS,

you just nailed it exactly right.It is really a clever manipulation of Prema Ledhani.

but for me sounds like 'Ilaiya Nilave' song

Hulkster
1st December 2009, 04:37 PM
Good responses from Kannada Cinema Fans.

http://sizzlingstar.co.in/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3080&start=60

http://www.gandhadagudi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=158359

:victory:

anegan
2nd December 2009, 12:29 AM
Suryakanthi songs are good.
I did not skip any song and also I had a repeated listening today.

PR, PAA, Naan Kadavul, Nandhalala, Valmiki, Azhagar Malai, TTLS, Ulyin Osai etc.. had been in the repeat for several days.

Raja enna senjalum adhu sariya thaan irukkum.

app_engine
2nd December 2009, 01:03 AM
Listened to a couple of songs from 'mathiya chennai' (un vAzhvE and unnaippatRichonnAl)

The saraNam of un vAzhvE follows uravugaL thodarkadhai "template" and sounds quite nice (Sadhana's voice is sweet as always). The saraNam part of the other song also sounds good.

I think the new entrant directors do not like (or do not push IR) to get long complicated pallavi tunes.

Short ones like 'iLaya nilA' needs a lot other ingradients to appeal - like that fantastic postlude that makes me wait for the end of the song - and to last longer.

mathiya chennai songs, that way, may not linger in minds for long :-(

app_engine
2nd December 2009, 03:39 AM
Gave a "parking lot" listen to mudhi-mudhi today - fantastic :-)

I think IR gives some special treatment to Hindi songs :-)

raagas
2nd December 2009, 11:28 AM
Gave a "parking lot" listen to mudhi-mudhi today - fantastic :-)

I think IR gives some special treatment to Hindi songs :-)

I just wish he does more Hindi films. We all have seen a different ilaiyaraaja in each of the regional languages. The music he gave for tamil films, is different from the malayalam films and again, his telugu stuff is different and Kannada is different again.
His Hindi music is yet to attain such strong identity.Unless he does few more of Hindi films, we cannot really say what his Hindi treatment exactly his. There are some albums, from which you remove lyrics, i can still say that "This is IR's malayalam style". Likewise telugu. I think he needs such kind of identity in Hindi too.May be he can, if he gets some 6-10 films.

raagas
2nd December 2009, 12:02 PM
And while we are at, talking about his Hindi films, can we probe more into this episodic film "Mumbai Cutting", which has 11 stories and one of them, directed by actress Revathi, would have Ilaiyaraaja's music.

Link: http://www.gomolo.in/Movie/Movie.aspx?mid=21142

krish244
2nd December 2009, 01:50 PM
Raagas, not sure if IR is indeed involved in this movie. Sometimes, IR has got credited in movies where Karthik Raja or Bhavadharini scores music. Anyway, lets wait and see.

Trailer for the movie at:

http://www.mumbaicutting.com/

The watermark on the trailer says "working copy for background music for sanjeev srivastav".

thanks,

Krishnan

tvsankar
2nd December 2009, 06:46 PM
Suryakanti

1. Cham Cham - Great Pick.

80s Raaja madhiri oru composition.

Sounds are awesome......

Headphone la kaekara sandhoshamae thani dhan.

indha paatai thaandi vara mudiyavillai...

very SWEEEEEEEEEET to the ears....

Raaja voda Guitar - we have in this song.

cham chama starting il - pinnal varum
oru sound - very very Naughty......

Singer udan kindalaga response pannum beauty...

Excellent.

lady's song in IR Music - am the first fan for that.

so this is my great pick....
Really Lucky to have this Raaja.....

- miga miga miga inimaiyana
sound il - irandu kaadhum nirambi vazhindhadhu...

Vaaiku sweet sapitadhai pola
kaadhuku oru sweeetttttttt.....

Ella instruments um pesaradhu - Lady singerin reflectors aga.....

80s Raaja madhiri - 2000 Raaja vum
futureil pesa paduvar.

svarman
2nd December 2009, 07:12 PM
80s Raaja madhiri - 2000 Raaja vum
futureil pesa paduvar.

Well said........

suren

Hulkster
2nd December 2009, 07:16 PM
People please do try to swallow all of Surykanthi as much as you can, as Om Shanti Om is putting on a attendance this Saturday.

Yella languagilum thalaivar attendance pothirukaar. We might as well learn all the languages. :lol2:

tvsankar
2nd December 2009, 07:18 PM
Yes Suren.

80s raaja - andha raaja madhiri - original
sounds - engayum epodhum kedaikavilai.....

adhai pola than indha 2000s raaja.......

New Synth Sound il - thanithanmaiyaga -

pudhiya sound ai arimuga paduthi, specialise
seigirar......

tvsankar
2nd December 2009, 07:22 PM
IR's New Synth Sound has some special qualities

1. very Pleansing to our ears

2. Harmless synth sounds

3. We could listen the songs many more time without side effect (like head pain, ear pain etc.)

(REally i felt it could be a special quality
sound from our IR)

Hulkster
2nd December 2009, 07:22 PM
Thalaivar's synth sound has mostly been rejected in this era but his sound i felt has rather been misunderstood. You can see he actually has tried variations of rhythm with synth the same way he did in the yesteryears with percussions. Now he has invented a new sort of style that even musical experts will be scratching their heads upon few years down the line.

The appearances are getting more prominent, Swalpa Soundu's background rhythm, Nilavu varum neram, Chan Channare, Hodadavne. There is more in the offing. It looks like the same synth sound people rejected is going to force them to accept and rejoice with it.

tvsankar
2nd December 2009, 07:25 PM
Hulk,
Very true about IR....

Yes. I am rasichifying the synth sounds........

hahahaha......

Isaiku mozhi thevai ilai - idhai ipodhu
unargiren Hulk..
annalum,

Mozhi therindhal innum rasikalam........

Hulkster
2nd December 2009, 07:27 PM
BTW can some knowledgeable people dissect Chan Channare's interludes. There is some astounding work down there. Percussions in the first interlude and what is that instrument that starts off the second interlude? Such a hard rockish style of playing.

Hulkster
2nd December 2009, 07:28 PM
Hulk,
Very true about IR....

Yes. I am rasichifying the synth sounds........

hahahaha......

Isaiku mozhi thevai ilai - idhai ipodhu
unargiren Hulk..
annalum,

Mozhi therindhal innum rasikalam........

:exactly: We might need to know hungarian language as well. Thalaivar angeyum pop thaan polarakku :lol2:

tvsankar
2nd December 2009, 07:30 PM
i also want to know about the sounds ...

now my pick is,

Edeya baagalu - wat a sounds.......

very strange interludes........

piano ????

idhuvum romba nalla iruku.........

tvsankar
2nd December 2009, 07:32 PM
Hulk,
hahhaha - inum telugu, kannada vae
kathu mudiyalaiyae.

Hungariyan - hmmmm - IR's music
gives the power to learn this language also...
i think.............

Hulkster
2nd December 2009, 07:34 PM
:exactly: Ithuvil enna bayangaram na 5 minsil compose penniduvaar ithu yellam :frightened:

I am starting to like Jaikara Haakonna. Thalaivar songs are probably the only song where even with deja-vu effect, they sound so enjoyable. The orchestration is enough to hold me tight everytime. :notworthy:

tvsankar
2nd December 2009, 07:36 PM
oh andha song a..

kaetuten...

typical cultural song......

kuthu paatu - Soft a irukum nama thala music la.......

indha paatu konjam sound...

so headphone la valume koraichi vechen.....

tvsankar
2nd December 2009, 07:40 PM
Jalkara - starting style - Bhangra dance
style song madhiri oru imagination varudhu...

tvsankar
2nd December 2009, 07:44 PM
5 min composition - hmmm - unbelievable......

oru interview la sonnar Raaja...

Radio veetla iruku....

radio stations ku sound ellam vinveliyil iruku...

ipo radio vai tune pannina - radio station
kedaikaradhu...

adha pola than enakum...

vaan veliyil irukum isaiyai than kodukiren..

tune panni.......

Wat a great words...

innonum sonnarae.... Enaku music theirnju iruku garadhai vida - Music ku ennai evvalavu theirnju iruku - idhu dhan vishayam ... like tat......

thannai patri epadi solli kolgirar.

Great Music Man He is......

tvsankar
2nd December 2009, 07:46 PM
now am hearing

Mouni naanu - very different composition...
80s Raaja composition ai 2000 il new soundil
kaetkum sandhosham...... i had........

Hulkster
2nd December 2009, 07:51 PM
:exactly: It is very easy to get lost in his music. Avar isaiyil uyirey irukku, ithu thaan asaikka mudiyaatha unmai.

Paa is coming on December 4th. Can't wait. I will probably give you guys a review straight away after i see it on Friday. :bluejump:

app_engine
2nd December 2009, 07:59 PM
'gum sum gum' on repeat :-)

The way all instruments jump at once in a 'thadAladi' manner after the first line is sung without any background is freak-out stuff!

It's like telling a 'wow-wow' after clean-bowling the toughest batsman!

This is the fourth Bhavadharini song that I've enjoyed immensely (the others being alai meedhu, idhu sangeetha thirunALO & mayil pOla poNNu onnu).

Actually, this song tops in the pA album for me :-)

Interestingly, my daughter insists me on repeating this during drives and even within a few hearings, she sings almost all the words (I can't sing even the pallavi) :-)

tvsankar
2nd December 2009, 08:26 PM
app,
indha youtube parungo....

unga ponnu play pannuvala.........

try pl.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXxRVUOV5MY

sokki poiten naan..

jeevanudan play pannum Genious he is..

Indha kid ai patri ipadi than enaku ninaika thonithu app.

Saagar
2nd December 2009, 08:26 PM
The concept of Mumbai Cutting seems similar to the recently released Malayalam film "Kerala cafe" which was 10 short stories rolled into one film by 10 different Directors, written by Renjith. Not sure if there are other such films earlier.

Sureshs65
2nd December 2009, 08:43 PM
app_eng,

I have been saying that 'gum sum gum' is a new song :) The whole feel is now very different compared to the Malayalam classic. You will love it if you approach it that way. "Paa" is a rocking album indeed.

Out of Bangalore and forgot to take the 'Suryakanthi' CD with me. Connection too slow here to listen online. Was impressed in the first listen.

jaiganes
2nd December 2009, 09:01 PM

The way all instruments jump at once in a 'thadAladi' manner after the first line is sung without any background is freak-out stuff!

This is the foruth Bhavadharini song that I've enjoyed immensely (the others being alai meedhu, idhu sangeetha thirunALO & mayil pOla poNNu onnu).

Interestingly, my daughter insists me on repeating this during drives and even within a few hearings, she sings almost all the words (I can't sing even the pallavi) :-)

I heard my daughter hum 'gum sum gum' while she was playing..
This is the third film song she has taken a liking to...

krish244
3rd December 2009, 12:30 AM
"Edeya Baagilu" is the most fresh song of Sankraanti album. Nice tune with western classical touch. Orchestration, including prelude and interludes has bit of jazz, western classical elements with a mix of soft beats. IR's special touch is seen in both the tune and orchestration. The song becoming a hit largely depends on the picturisation. I hope they have not spoiled it.

"Mouni Naanu" is another song that I like in this album. The prelude almost immediately took me to "Aa Dinagalu" song, but changed soon. Loved the tune, Karthik's singing and the overall music (especially second interlude).

Chan chanare is good for Shreya's singing and charanam portions...but other factors brings down the charm.

Other songs did not impress me much.

Thanks,

Krishnan

Bala (Karthik)
3rd December 2009, 12:41 AM

Indha baadu address yarukkavadhu theriyuma pa?

app_engine
3rd December 2009, 01:22 AM
http://musiclistner.blogspot.com/2009/12/music-review-of-paa-music-and-songs.html

Though this is an amusing kind of review, what caught my attention is that the songs are quite popular in north.

Popular enough to attract such "knowledgeable" people to review it :-)

Bala (Karthik)
3rd December 2009, 01:35 AM
http://musiclistner.blogspot.com/2009/12/music-review-of-paa-music-and-songs.html

Though this is an amusing kind of review, what caught my attention is that the songs are quite popular in north.

Speechless!
Anyway, i've left a comment of unrestrained praise there, awaiting moderation :lol2:

app_engine
3rd December 2009, 01:51 AM
i've left a comment of unrestrained praise there
:lol:

In any case, IR should thank Balki for taking his music to such connoisseurs and make them appreciate it, at last! :wink:

writeface
3rd December 2009, 03:27 AM

This is the foruth Bhavadharini song that I've enjoyed immensely (the others being alai meedhu, idhu sangeetha thirunALO & mayil pOla poNNu onnu).

I heard my daughter hum 'gum sum gum' while she was playing..
This is the third film song she has taken a liking to...

Same situation with my 4-year old son. He wants to listen to Gum Sum only, exclusively, all the time. I played to him all 3 different versions (that I have) of Gum Sum, starting with Thumbi Vaa, Mood in Kapi, and Sangaththil. Every time he said "this is not the real Gum Sum, play me the "real" Gum Sum" :-)

-Gokul.

writeface
3rd December 2009, 06:43 AM
"Edeya Baagilu" is the most fresh song of Sankraanti album. Nice tune with western classical touch. Orchestration, including prelude and interludes has bit of jazz, western classical elements with a mix of soft beats. IR's special touch is seen in both the tune and orchestration. The song becoming a hit largely depends on the picturisation. I hope they have not spoiled it.

It took a long time for me to fall in love with this song. I listened to it few times but I was getting impatient with this song. Now I realize what a delicate beauty this song is. The intro reminds me of a song which I can't quite place.

I have no problems with Chan ChanarE.. except for the "chachAng chang" intro. Please, please enough with that already!

-Gokul

kiru
3rd December 2009, 06:45 AM
You guys are making feel like a bad parent ..not introducing the latest IR songs to them :-) my 4.5 yr old son's favorite still continues to be kaattu vazhi ..
(nice audio setup Gokul)

Sureshs65
3rd December 2009, 11:54 AM
app_eng,

What a find that review !! The most superb statement was that the 'Theme' music is taken from the "Theme Music (Remix)". :lol: So nowadays they are doing the remix before the original!! Reminds me of Mel Brook's "Space Balls" where a character says that the full video is released even before the movie is completely made!!

rooky
3rd December 2009, 11:55 AM
My daughter has this order of preference:
Gumsum, Halki se, mudimudi (she sings the end word of the first lines repeatedly)

Bala (Karthik)
3rd December 2009, 12:39 PM
app_eng,

What a find that review !! The most superb statement was that the 'Theme' music is taken from the "Theme Music (Remix)". :lol: So nowadays they are doing the remix before the original!! Reminds me of Mel Brook's "Space Balls" where a character says that the full video is released even before the movie is completely made!!
I read it after a long day (break of dawn). I almost fainted. Lucky i didn't get an internal hemorrhage

sivasub
3rd December 2009, 01:19 PM

I would have given Nobel prize to him, but stopped short as he names himself as 'Nobel' :roll: :wink:

rajaalltheway
3rd December 2009, 01:21 PM

Popular enough to attract such "knowledgeable" people to review it
Is there a new movie being made as PAA 2009 Music which is based on 'Progeria Symptoms' :?: .
"Overall Paa music is average YET songs and lyrics are the best" :lol:

sivasub
3rd December 2009, 04:20 PM
Balki's interview..

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/features/2009/12/03/5736/index.html

And your fascination with Illayaraja?
Oh yes, he is great, isn't he? He did my first film Cheeni Kum and he is back again. But he hasn't done Paa because he worked on Cheeni Kum. He worked because he liked the story. Paa has some good tracks and you should listen to it.

krish244
3rd December 2009, 04:44 PM
Mathiya Chennai movie review:

"Music, a scoring point"

http://beta.thehindu.com/arts/movies/article59386.ece

"The music enhances the film, especially the background score. The songs ring in your ears even after you leave the hall. "

thanks,

Krishnan

Sanjeevi
3rd December 2009, 05:03 PM
[tscii:24ad6f7646]>>
Previously, A.R. Rahman’s Blue had great sales. But now, Ilaiyaraaja’s Paa and his son Yuvan Shankar Raja’s Paiyya is witnessing grand sales. Since the stocks are getting over soon, we have already ordered more than 500 copies of both the albums
<<

http://www.planetradiocity.com/musicreporter/news.php?newscatid=1&newsid=1719[/tscii:24ad6f7646]

Raghu
3rd December 2009, 06:30 PM
Naan kadavul songs are simply intoxicating, esp 'Om shivoham'

excellent, esp the Chanting of Mantras and udduku

app_engine
3rd December 2009, 09:03 PM
Despite my general dislike of current male singers in TFM, I'm impressed with the 'iLa vayasu' song of mathiya chennai.

Definitely very cool arrangements by IR!

On a different note, I generally dislike the use of 'mainA' in TFM for reasons unknown. All MD's / lyricists have got fascinated by this bird but somehow it sounds like chennai slang to me :-) (mainA mainA mAman pudichcha - IR/MR combo song, dillAnA dinnAnA - manjakkAttu mainA - ARR, manjakkAttu mainA ennakkonjikkonjippOnA - YSR)

I love that bird, though. It can speak like kiLi actually and can be so friendly with humans (my friend in AngamAli had one at his home which spoke beautiful malayALam sentences)

I'm not sure whether 'mainA' is a pucca Thamizh word. Is there any other name for this bird?

Shankar.P
3rd December 2009, 09:23 PM
aemba ithu romba 'main'a

Shankar.P
3rd December 2009, 09:30 PM
Illaiyaraja's music and PC Sreeram's cinematography lend themselves well to Balki's vision.

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/review_total-paa-stime_1319750

Sureshs65
3rd December 2009, 11:01 PM
app_eng,

ilavayasu is a good song with some nice arrangements. Looks like the movie is another amateurish attempt going by the review and should go the way of 'Valmiki' and 'Kannukulle'. At least the Hindu review says the music was good. My personal favorite from the movie is 'unnai patri sonnal'. The pallavi lyrics are not great and I was pissed off a bit but the lyrics in the charanams are quite good. As kiru had suggested earlier Raja probably had a say in the pallavi lyrics selection. The whole arrangement, the sound, everything about this song is superb. Especially good work by the keyboard player.

Sanjeevi
3rd December 2009, 11:03 PM
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/movies/review/14149/index.html

padam super hit agumnu thonuthu :D

Sanjeevi
3rd December 2009, 11:19 PM
Paa song is climbing in the rating :)

http://www.planetbollywood.com/top10Songs.php

BTW

the site has listed top 100 all-time bollywood soundracks (http://www.planetbollywood.com/displayArticle.php?id=060306044135) :)

1) Are Laxmikant-Pyarelal that much big?
2) Atleast 4 ARR albums there
3) SPB :thumbsup: (is he written Lyrics for Saagar?)
4) atleast two kamal films (Ek duje ke liye and Saagar) :D
5) Just curious to know :) is any song had/has IR song inspiration from these 100 albums?

Plum
3rd December 2009, 11:24 PM
List paathuttu solraen. L-p are indeed big and were the market leader in 80's. Their quality is another matter.

Plum
3rd December 2009, 11:26 PM
Spb - lyrics for saagar? Not possible. Could be javed akthae or rdburman camper indivar or some such

Sanjeevi
3rd December 2009, 11:32 PM
I even have not heard about some bollywood Music directors especially Khayyam