PDA

View Full Version : World Cricket II

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Riyazz
25th October 2010, 11:11 AM
Lara vadu 2 teamla vadu irkan . Kapil adula kuda illa

Plum
25th October 2010, 11:20 AM
Sourav, yes, Imran, though I like Kapil more because I have seen Imran very less, objectively viewed, is the better all-rounder.
Someone like Moviecop can perhaps articulate better. But I think, the following points illustrate Imran's superiority

As bowler
* Statistics are strongly in Imran's favour. Kapil did get the larger number of wickets but at significant levels lesser potency.
* Imran ran rings around *arguably* the best batsman of his times, Sunil Gavaskar.
* He was the better exponent of swing and seam, I think.

As batsman
* Kapil has the impact innings - like 175*, 163, 120 at more than run-a-ball against Aussies etc but Imran was the more reliable one
* Kapil's batting career was always a long set of mediocre scores interspersed with an occasional Rocket Singh innings.
* Imran could slot himself at #3 and rebuild innings in the latter part of his career - he had the better technique

As captain
* Both won a world cup each but Imran inspired his rag-tag constantly-at-each-others' throat to draw series with West Indies, the best team of the times.
* In general, Imran as a strategist, tactician, selector(as captain), dictatorial team manager(when he was captain), motivator etc was superior as acknowledged by people who worked for and against him.

Overall, yes, despite my personal affinity to Kapil, one of my earliest cricketing heroes*, I'd have to admit Imran was periya thillAlangadi.

* A skeleton in my closet is that my first cricketing hero was...er...Ravi Shastri! :ashamed:

Plum
25th October 2010, 11:21 AM
Lara vs Richards is a tough one for me. I am a Lara fan, and cannot really view it objectively. I'd prefer someone else to comment on it.

satissh_r
25th October 2010, 11:25 AM
Lara vs Richards is a tough one for me. I am a Lara fan, and cannot really view it objectively. I'd prefer someone else to comment on it.

I thought about doing it but then enakkum kashtam than. Richards was THE star in a team full of talents but Lara was the saving grace in a team that was on decline

satissh_r
25th October 2010, 11:28 AM
*A skeleton in my closet is that my first cricketing hero was...er...Ravi Shastri! :ashamed:

I empathize with you!!

ajithfederer
25th October 2010, 11:29 AM
Enna man kelvi idhu?? :shock:.

Lara - Richards is a no contest for me actually. Viv just trumps Lara hands down.

No kapil dev :huh: Lara-ve illa...
Plum, Pls clarify this,,,
Imran khan was better all-rounder than kapil dev?
Viv richards had more impact in test matches Lara?
:?

Plum
25th October 2010, 11:34 AM

Lara - Richards is a no contest for me actually. Viv just trumps Lara hands down.

No kapil dev :huh: Lara-ve illa...
Plum, Pls clarify this,,,
Imran khan was better all-rounder than kapil dev?
Viv richards had more impact in test matches Lara?
:?
Actually, yes, idhai solla vENdi irukkumnu dhAN I bailed out of answering it :-)

Thing is it is easy to say that Richards shone in a galaxy of stars who made it easy for him - but unlike Ricky, who benefitted from Hayden, Martyn, Waughs and Langer's presence - it was Viv Richards who made the West Indian batting machine what it was. The arrogance which made him avoid a helmet(and not even a skull cap like Gavaskar) till the end to the fastest of bowlers, the sheer disimissal of opponents with a chew of a gum and a wave of a hand. The man's a legend.

He definitely had more impact on West Indies' Cricketing success(even given the excelelnt supporting cast) than Lara.

Sourav
25th October 2010, 11:35 AM
Ok, thanks a lot plum,
Feddy, :oops:
I have never watched viv's innings, hardly watched lara's inningses as most of the WI matches were broadcasted in pay channels wen i was in my native...cable-la varathu...paathathu illa...

Plum
25th October 2010, 11:39 AM
*A skeleton in my closet is that my first cricketing hero was...er...Ravi Shastri! :ashamed:

I empathize with you!!

adhAn chinna size-la pOtturundhEnla, ipdi quote paNNi mAnatha vAngaNumA? :(

raajarasigan
25th October 2010, 12:02 PM

I thought about doing it but then enakkum kashtam than. Richards was THE star in a team full of talents but Lara was the saving grace in a team that was on declineObviously, Viv Richards is better than Lara though the stats favour Lara.. Viv did NOT play as many test matches as Lara did but the bowling attack thrashed by Viv was way ahead of Lara's period... Viv richards is a kind of player who can hit any ball whenever he wants to hit... he is more dominant than Lara... Lara's is a sheer class and elegance...

Sourav
25th October 2010, 05:45 PM
Wat surprising is McGrath couldn't get a place even in second XI..... :o

sathya_1979
25th October 2010, 07:14 PM
How come Lillie in first XI?

Plum
25th October 2010, 07:38 PM
What caught my eye is Brad, sobers and warne were unainmous choices. SRT got 11/12 votes from jury. Any guesses about the community who did mischief? My guess is the poRAmai pidicha Chappell brother.

Vivasaayi
25th October 2010, 07:56 PM
What caught my eye is Brad, sobers and warne were unainmous choices. SRT got 11/12 votes from jury. Any guesses about the community who did mischief? My guess is the poRAmai pidicha Chappell brother.

yes..he dint vote for sachin...he has voted for brian lara..

steveaustin
25th October 2010, 08:12 PM

Period matters. :)

For me, Prince Lara triumphs over King Richards because of the backup that King had. When it comes to spin, many of us will ask who is Richards??? Lara is a better player of pace bowling than Richards of spin. King of pace, minnow of spin. Further, Richards had a well balanced strong team both with the bat and ball unlike Lara. It would have been very interesting if Richards had the team like Lara. What he would've done it? Whether he would've gone for attack or defend? Can anyone answer these questions??? WI started to slide under the period of King Viv's captaincy itself. Lara beats Viv hands down when it comes to sheer variety of strokes and elegance.

steveaustin
25th October 2010, 08:23 PM
Lara-ve illa...

Lara-vukku team thEvai illa. One man army (http://static.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1993-94/WI_LOCAL/RSC/T+T_JAM_RSC_21-24JAN1994.html). Just give him one good bowler. I am of the opinion that on his day, he can beat this World-XI too. :wink:

Brian Lara's Oneman shows (http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/126127.html)

Puliyan_Biryani
25th October 2010, 08:40 PM
My WORLD XI

Sir Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Sir Donald Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Sir Viv Richards
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Malcolm Marshall
Wasim Akram
Dennis Lillee [McGrath unlucky to miss out]
9 peru correct. Hutton for Gavaskar and Sobers for Lara. Hutton-aarai pathi innum neraiya padichu therinjukkanum pola.

Puliyan_Biryani
25th October 2010, 08:46 PM
Have seen a few breathtaking innings of Vivs and no doubt he deserves his place in the XI. But any brownie points to Lara for coming after Seruwain Campbell and co.? Vivs came in after Haynes and Greenidge (arguably one of the best opening pairs), didn't he?

ajithfederer
25th October 2010, 08:55 PM
What can Richards do if he had a good team. The point is he outshone everyone even in his team in terms of batting. Even if he had a bad team he would still play in his own terms. That's Richads for you.

Sheer impact on the game. Richards >> Lara. I mean he was one of the Idols of Tendulkar.

You gotta be kidding me, The pace faced by Richards >>>>>> Lara. I am talking about in the non helmet days.

Sheer match winning performances, Again Richards >>> Lara.
Even in ODI's Richards averages 47. S/R is in the 90's in the days when 70's was considered good.

He bowled even part time spin and has taken 100+ wickets in ODI's.

Tests, Sollave vendam. Average of 50 in those days is near 60 in present days.

For me, Prince Lara triumphs over King Richards because of the backup that King had. When it comes to spin, many of us will ask who is Richards??? Lara is a better player of pace bowling than Richards of spin. King of pace, minnow of spin. Further, Richards had a well balanced strong team both with the bat and ball unlike Lara. It would have been very interesting if Richards had the team like Lara. What he would've done it? Whether he would've gone for attack or defend? Can anyone answer these questions??? WI started to slide under the period of King Viv's captaincy itself. Lara beats Viv hands down when it comes to sheer variety of strokes and elegance.

steveaustin
25th October 2010, 09:03 PM
You gotta be kidding me, The pace faced by Richards >>>>>> Lara. I am talking about in the non helmet days.
Don't read in between the lines. :) :P

Lara is a better player of pace bowling than Richards of spin.

ajithfederer
25th October 2010, 09:04 PM
Extremely selective argument. This alone doesn't make the case better for Lara :P.

Don't read in between the lines. :) :P

Lara is a better player of pace bowling than Richards of spin.

sathya_1979
25th October 2010, 09:28 PM
Shall we start a poll - Worst players to have played for India in Tests (Qual: Min 5 Matches Played)?

ajithfederer
25th October 2010, 10:49 PM
http://www.thehindu.com/multimedia/dynamic/00275/DIP_3_BHAJJI_AND_SA_275198g.jpg

:lol:

ajithfederer
26th October 2010, 01:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOh-BNyAM_Q

I've posted this video before and I am posting it again. Dennis Lillee bowling 4+ bouncers on the trot to a non helmet Richard. Every bouncer he tries to hook Dennis.

m_karthik
26th October 2010, 04:47 AM
"I remember him saying to Modi, 'I'm worth X amount of dollars'. Modi laughed at him. "

Matthew Hayden, in his autobiography, writes of a conversation between Michael Clarke and Lalit Modi about playing in the IPL and how the then chairman was dismissive of excessive demands

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/quote/index.html

Plum
26th October 2010, 06:56 AM
idhula clarke patriotic paramasivam vEsham vERa :lol:

Riyazz
26th October 2010, 08:50 AM
http://www.thehindu.com/multimedia/dynamic/00275/DIP_3_BHAJJI_AND_SA_275198g.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Puliyan_Biryani
26th October 2010, 08:53 AM
"I remember him saying to Modi, 'I'm worth X amount of dollars'. Modi laughed at him. "

Matthew Hayden, in his autobiography, writes of a conversation between Michael Clarke and Lalit Modi about playing in the IPL and how the then chairman was dismissive of excessive demands

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/quote/index.html
I heard a rumor that X was equal to 1 million. Aus T20-laye (national and domestic) Clarke innum edhuvum pannalai :rotfl:

Dinesh84
26th October 2010, 10:19 AM

:lol: :rotfl:

Plum
26th October 2010, 10:42 AM
Shall we start a poll - Worst players to have played for India in Tests (Qual: Min 5 Matches Played)?koot itea.

1) Vikram Rathore
2) MSK Prasad
3) Devang Gandhi
4) Tinu Yohanan
5) Paras Mhambrey
6) Noel David(Did he play tests?). If yes, I think he'll be the undisputed winner

Plum
26th October 2010, 10:42 AM
Point to note - these were the players available to SRT during his captaincy.

Ramakrishna
26th October 2010, 10:44 AM
Shall we start a poll - Worst players to have played for India in Tests (Qual: Min 5 Matches Played)?koot itea.

1) Vikram Rathore
2) MSK Prasad
3) Devang Gandhi
4) Tinu Yohanan
5) Paras Mhambrey
6) Noel David(Did he play tests?). If yes, I think he'll be the undisputed winner

Ajit Agarkar? But he has a test century. Paravaalliyaa?

Plum
26th October 2010, 10:46 AM
Agarkar, more than the century, has a match winning 6 wicket haul(against Australia, in Australia, no less) :shock:

So, indha groupla sErka manasu varala.

Sourav
26th October 2010, 10:48 AM
Poll here? domestic cricket/BCCI would be correct thread i think... :?

i like to see our hubbers choices for World XI for current players.,, :D

Riyazz
26th October 2010, 10:49 AM
opener akash chopra ?

sathya_1979
26th October 2010, 10:49 AM
Plum r u sure that these players played atleast 5 tests?

littlemaster1982
26th October 2010, 10:51 AM
Noel David was in team during WI tour, but I don't think he played in any tests. Remember seeing him while fielding, probably as a substitute.

Plum
No, these were the names that came to mind.
I am not inclined to spend time on Cricinfo to answer this :-)

Ramakrishna
Noel David was in team during WI tour, but I don't think he played in any tests. Remember seeing him while fielding, probably as a substitute.

He played onedayers. Not sure about tests.

Movie Cop
26th October 2010, 12:54 PM
What can Richards do if he had a good team. The point is he outshone everyone even in his team in terms of batting. Even if he had a bad team he would still play in his own terms. That's Richads for you.

Sheer impact on the game. Richards >> Lara. I mean he was one of the Idols of Tendulkar.

Sheer match winning performances, Again Richards >>> Lara.
Even in ODI's Richards averages 47. S/R is in the 90's in the days when 70's was considered good.

He bowled even part time spin and has taken 100+ wickets in ODI's.

Tests, Sollave vendam. Average of 50 in those days is near 60 in present days.

Kood debate - "King" Richards vs. "Prince" Lara. Little dicely one to pick but I would go with Richards simply because Richards brand of batting is pretty unique, one-of-it's-kind. He had a very good eye, quick reflexes and gifted timing. Agree with Feddy on the "impact" aspect. Richards impact on the game is for others to follow and emulate.

Also, like Feddy mentioned, the kOvAlty of bowling that Richards faced during his times was much, much greater than Lara. Luckily, for Richards, he doesn't have to face his own countrymen. But still Holding and Garner used to joke about how they would get clobbered around the park by Richards in their domestic Red stripe tournaments.

Mind you, 70's/80's Test average of 50 is equal to contemporary (read: dubAkoor) Test cricket's average of 60+. :)

Movie Cop
26th October 2010, 01:02 PM
My WORLD XI

Sir Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Sir Donald Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Sir Viv Richards
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Malcolm Marshall
Wasim Akram
Dennis Lillee [McGrath unlucky to miss out]
9 peru correct. Hutton for Gavaskar and Sobers for Lara. Hutton-aarai pathi innum neraiya padichu therinjukkanum pola.
PB,
Your's is a kood pick, I say. 8-)

Hutton and Hobbs (quite deservingly) take the openers slot. Ellam nAmba porakuradhukku munaadiyE vilayAdi retire-um aagithaainge. So vera vazhi ille, othukithu thein aaganum. But a batting genius himself, Gavaskar is extremely "unlucky" enough to miss the XI by a whisker. But no shame - as Hobbs/Hutton (as we would have read or heard from our grand parents) are legends in cricket history.

But in my playing XI, I would have picked Imran over Akram and Murali over Warne.

Plum
26th October 2010, 02:22 PM
Moviecop, you the man.

Akram - the biggest nerudal I have with him is the Azharuddin connection - I mean the match fixing connection. I think it is almost proven that he was involved in match fixing - this doesnt get half as much disapproval as Murali's action, which is a matter of lasting shame for Cricketing classicists.

ajaybaskar
26th October 2010, 02:24 PM
What happened to SS Das. He had a couple of good knocks in his kitty.

Movie Cop
27th October 2010, 12:04 AM
Moviecop, you the man.

Akram - the biggest nerudal I have with him is the Azharuddin connection - I mean the match fixing connection. I think it is almost proven that he was involved in match fixing - this doesnt get half as much disapproval as Murali's action, which is a matter of lasting shame for Cricketing classicists.
Agree Plum on your take on Akram's selection.

But more than the match fixing controversy, even in terms of skill and sheer joy to watch for a cricket lover - Imran is > Akram. Andhe sorching inswinger (actually bannana inswinger they call it), unsettling/spine chilling express pace, classic run up and delivery stride - Imran Khan truely "romanticized" the art of fast bowling. If Safraz Nawaz invented reverse swing, Imran Khan took it to the next level and passed it on to the next generation greats like Wasim & Waqar to exploit. Akram is a great bowler in his own right but the truth is that Imran is even greater. Match fixing controversy or not, Wasim Akram shouldn't be playing in a Test XI that does not have Imran Khan as a first/default saaice, I say. :)

Puliyan_Biryani
27th October 2010, 12:27 AM
MC sir, I didn't have the privilege of watching the quartet of all-rounders in their pomp. By the time I started watching, Kapil looked like a spent force and was hanging on for the bowling record. If time permits, avangalai rate pannunga. 5 points for batting and 5 for bowling. Kapil, Imran, Hadlee & Botham-la yaaru best-nu therindhu kolla aasai :).

steveaustin
27th October 2010, 08:17 AM
Sorry to intervene. :) :P

My ratings:

1) Ian Botham the genuine all-rounder than other three. His talent with the bat and ball more or less the same. He has single-handedly won more matches both bat and ball among these four. No one can forget his extraordinary act of brilliance with both bat and ball in the golden jubilee test at Bombay during 1979/80 (Year exactly not known) against Indians. Most devastating batsmen as well as good swing bowler and the best fielder among the four. He was a good footballer and Motor race driver too.

2) Imran Khan more reliable all-rounder and he was most devastating with the ball than the bat. He has developed his batting skills in his later stages of his career. He was a more controlled and calculative batsman than attacking. He was the best Captain among these four as well as one of the all time great Captains.

3) Talentwise Kapil Dev is next to Ian Botham but he was inconsistent. He was the most devastating batsman among these four but not same with the ball. On those days, he had a habbit of destroying the Windies bowling attacks. Of these four, only Ian Botham had dominated the Windies bowling attacks other than Kapil Dev. Kapil never justified his talent with the bat else he would have been the top batting all-rounder among these four. When it comes to attacking his hitting prowess is parallel to Richards. He was the second good fielder among these four. He was not an attacking bowler but nearly a Mcgrath type of bowler. He was the best outswing bowler that I have ever seen in my entire life. (He is almost a fast-medium Warne.) He was a footballer, a good golfer and a good tennis player.

4) Richard Hadlee the best bowler among the four but least dependent with the bat. Hadlee's bowling needs no introduction since everyone knows that he is the best in business when it comes to swing or control or accuracy.

If you take statistics, the result will be:
1) Imran,
2) Botham,
3) Hadlee and
4) Kapil Dev.

In ODIs, Kapil Dev was the front runner with some distance followed by Imran, Botham and Hadlee.

Puliyan_Biryani
27th October 2010, 08:58 AM
Steve, thangalin intervention engal baakkiyam. periyavanga (:wink:) yaaru venaalum sollunga. kettu therinjukkaren :P.

Nice writeup Steve. Test matchesla Kapil-dhaan last-a :-(? Or due to his batting prowess, 3rd place varuvaaplaya (above Hadlee)?

Sourav
27th October 2010, 05:25 PM
http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/483620.html

Plum
29th October 2010, 11:16 AM
Team-wise bowling averages in Tests since Jan 2008 Team Tests Wickets Average Strike rate 5WI/ 10WM
South Africa 28 462 30.58 57.2 15/ 2
England 36 571 31.67 61.4 29/ 3
Australia 35 601 32.79 61.8 20/ 3
New Zealand 25 381 34.99 69.7 10/ 0
Pakistan 17 254 35.35 63.8 12/ 0
Sri Lanka 20 302 36.66 67.4 15/ 3
India 30 447 38.46 72.4 12/ 2
Bangladesh 19 231 44.11 76.7 12/ 0
West Indies 24 299 44.60 81.1 10/ 0

India is just above bangla and WI in bowling averages in last 3 years in Tests

This clearly proves how much of our test record owes it solely to our great batting machine and not any other aspect

To me even saying that the batting machine is ONE of the reasons for India's ascension to #1 is deeply insulting. Or even saying that they are only 60% or 70% responsible is also insulting.
Clearly, they are the sole reason we are top.

steveaustin
30th October 2010, 09:38 AM
Test matchesla Kapil-dhaan last-a :-(? Or due to his batting prowess, 3rd place varuvaaplaya (above Hadlee)?

W.r.t. statistics,

Batting contribution analysis

Player----------Pl's ave.---------- Team's ave.---------- Pl. /Team's ave.--------- % of Country's runs
I.T. Botham------- 33.55------------27.82---------------------- 1.21------------------------- 11.6
Imran Khan------- 37.69------------32.80-----------------------1.15-------------------------9.7
Kapil Dev------- 31.05------------ 33.58---------------------- 0.92------------------------- 8.9
R.J. Hadlee------- 27.16------------ 26.52---------------------- 1.02------------------------- 8.8

Bowling contribution analysis
Player-------Pl's ave..---------- Team's ave..----------Pl. /Team's ave..--------- % of wickets by team
R.J. Hadlee------- 22.30------------ 37.26----------------------- 1.67------------------------- 35.7
Imran Khan------- 22.81------------ 33.24----------------------- 1.46------------------------- 27.9
I.T. Botham------- 28.40------------ 32.65----------------------- 1.15------------------------- 25.9
Kapil Dev--------- 29.65------------ 37.36----------------------- 1.26------------------------- 25.1

When it comes to All-round performances, it is Ian Botham who simply stands out than others.

Ian Botham had scored a 100 and taken 10 wickets (Golden Jubilee test during 1980) in a match once in his career. He had scored a 50+ and taken 5 wickets in an innings 11 times in his career. He has taken 120 catches which is high among these four great all rounders.

Imran Khan too had scored a 100 and 10 wickets only once in a match like Botham. But he had scored a 50+ and taken 5 wickets in an innings only thrice in his career. Catches held by him is 28 which is lowest among these four.

For Richard Hadlee and Kapil Dev, no 100 + 10 wkts in a match. But Hadlee had scored 50+ runs and taken 5 wickets half-a-dozen times, while the figure for Kapil Dev is only 4 slightly better than Imran Khan. Kapil Dev took 64 catches in his career while for Hadlee it is only 39.

But if you want to see the all-rounders action(in terms all round (bat+ball+fielding)performances), then the contest is certainly between Ian Botham and Kapil Dev. They are the two best entertainers among the world's leading all-time great all-rounders.

Puliyan_Biryani
30th October 2010, 03:59 PM
Steve :clap:

Statistics don't really count, even the one that tells you Imran averaged 19 with the ball and 50 with the bat in his final 10 years as a Test cricketer.

:shock: Most bowlers and batsmen would kill to have one of those averages. Imran had them both at the later part of his career :notworthy:. Perhaps Imran is the best bowling all-rounder in Test cricket (Sobers being a batting all-rounder).

Batting-wise Kapil's average looks a bit modest but the main reason was he seemed to have a cavalier approach (from what I have read and heard). And Kapil would have bowled mostly in Indian pitches and that's the reason his bowling stats look a bit off, I think.

It is a pity that BBC went on strike on the day of Kapil's 175 :-(.

steveaustin
31st October 2010, 12:23 PM
Still I rate Ian Botham (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNUIsMNxGpM)way above Imran Khan, since no one has made such an impact on the game when Beefy was played. He is the true world class all-rounder that I've ever seen in my life. His aggressive batting matched Viv Richards (many of his hook shots without helmet is still vivid in my memory) and he has a bit of style too, his agressive bowling matched any fast bowlers of Windies as well as others at that time and he was the best fielder in slips as well as any part of the ground. In fact, his off-field activities the worst you could've ever seen in International Cricket. Had he not been addicted to drugs, we might have witnessed a only one in the history to score 10,000 test runs and 500 wickets all-rounder and 200 catches. He is a natural talent and he too played naturally with some flair.

If I've to describe him in one word, he is 'Mr.Controversy'. If I want to see anyone in action among these four, then he will be my first choice and Kapil will be the next. The next two are little bit boring and they are not entertainers (bat+bowl+field) like IT Botham and Kapil Dev. Ian and Kapil played more attacking games than the other two, who were little bit calculative and cautious in their approach.

Puliyan_Biryani
31st October 2010, 02:33 PM
India is just above bangla and WI in bowling averages in last 3 years in Tests

This clearly proves how much of our test record owes it solely to our great batting machine and not any other aspect

To me even saying that the batting machine is ONE of the reasons for India's ascension to #1 is deeply insulting. Or even saying that they are only 60% or 70% responsible is also insulting.
Clearly, they are the sole reason we are top.
aahn :asku busku: ippadi oru bowling attack vache captain panni, test matches win panni, 1st place-ku kondu vandhomla :wink:

Plum
31st October 2010, 03:12 PM
ipdi oru bowling attack vechu captain paNNi win paNNOmnu solRadhukku bowling average innum kammiyA irukkaNum

What these numbers tell us is that our bowlers, and the way they have been captained(again, not much of Dhoni's fault but certainly these bowling averages counter any claim that Dhoni did miracles with this bowling group), have given away huge runs anyway. It is our batting that has surpassed that huge opposition score and out-scored them.

Clear?

And one doesnt need stats - anecdotal evidence sliced at any point of time will support it. Take the recent test series - our bowling conceded 400+ twice. Still, our batting didnt cave in matched them, and purely due to the efforts of the batsmen, got ahead. Go back to Sri Lanka - same story

Go back to Sri Lanka India Series in India. 32/4 _ Dravid produces match saving hundred. Again, Captaincy has got nothing to do with saving that match.
And so on...

P_R
31st October 2010, 03:17 PM
the way they have been captained(again, not much of Dhoni's fault appuRam edhukku soneenga :lol:

Plum
31st October 2010, 03:25 PM
To pre-empt, despite this bowling, he captained us to victory. The point is captaining to victory would not involve such high averages

Maniraj
31st October 2010, 03:34 PM
Aus vs srilanka t20. . Aus 25/2. .6 overs

Fernando catch to dismiss clarke :rotfl3:

Maniraj
31st October 2010, 03:41 PM
aus 31 for 4 :rotfl2:

Riyazz
31st October 2010, 04:29 PM
aus 115/7 in 18.4 overs

ajithfederer
1st November 2010, 03:30 AM
Abdur Razzaq slams 7 four's and 10 sixes to make 109 off 72 balls. Pakistan wins by 1 wkt and 1 ball to spare in its chase of 287.

http://www.cricinfo.com/pakistan-v-south-africa-2010/engine/current/match/461567.html

ajithfederer
1st November 2010, 09:44 AM
Book by Gibbs exposes dark side of South African cricket
PTI, Nov 1, 2010, 03.06am IST

JOHANNESBURG: Stories about sexual orgies, marijuana sessions and the dominance of a group of senior players in South Africa cricket squad have been exposed in out of favour opener Herschelle Gibbs' autobiography, which is releasing on Monday.

The weekly 'Sunday Times' carried excerpts from Gibbs' book, a day before its release.

The book graphically details the sexual exploits of the controversial player who has been in trouble for his late night binges and drunken driving charges, as well as leading players in smoking pot in the West Indies.

Gibbs, who just last week confessed that he would have to work very hard to return to the national squad, could also incur the ire of fellow players after writing in his book that the Proteas are dominated by a clique of older players.

"The team has been criticised for being run by a group of senior players - Graeme Smith, Jacques Kallis, Mark Boucher, and more recently, AB de Villiers," Gibbs wrote.

"This inner circle splits the team in two and makes any chance of developing true team spirit among the Proteas impossible," said Gibbs, adding that former national coach Mickey Arthur had often bowed to them after trying to take them on.

"Simply put, without Graeme's backing, he didn't have much influence over the guys. In the end, Graeme was simply too powerful."

Gibbs also disclosed how the squad never regained its spirit after former captain Hansie Cronje, now deceased, got a life ban following his admission to match-fixing that was first uncovered by Indian authorities.

"Things were never the same. I sympathised with Shaun Pollock (who took over from Cronje). He had a tough time filling Hansie's shoes and gluing the team together. But the Proteas never had that same togetherness under Polly (Pollock). He never socialised with boys too much."

Gibbs was one of the co-accused with Cronje and Henry Williams, after allegations of match-fixing in Nagpur. He was suspended for six months after that, but still respects the late South African skipper.

"(Despite) the cloud that hangs over his legacy, I can tell you that I've never played with anyone who possessed such a die-hard attitude to winning," Gibbs stated.

The poor performance of the national team in recent years also came under fire from Gibbs, who was himself blamed for contributing to that.

"We've got to admit that the Proteas have underachieved in international cricket over the past decade."

Gibbs summed up his own indiscretions, which included a confession to pulling out some of his wife Tenielle Povey's hair while he was driving during a fight.

"As explosive as my batting can be, it hasn't quite matched the pyrotechnics of my life off the field," Gibbs wrote.

Read more: Book by Gibbs exposes dark side of South African cricket - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/top-stories/Book-by-Gibbs-exposes-dark-side-of-South-African-cricket/articleshow/6846874.cms#ixzz140MSchc0

[tscii:edbc6b1fa5][/tscii:edbc6b1fa5]

ajithfederer
1st November 2010, 09:48 AM
Quite shocking revelations if they are true.

Dinesh84
2nd November 2010, 05:26 PM
Which channel is telecasting the current SA vs Pak series ? :?

Maniraj
2nd November 2010, 05:30 PM

Ten cricket

Dinesh84
2nd November 2010, 05:35 PM

Ten cricket :ty:

our dth only has Tensports channel :(

Maniraj
2nd November 2010, 05:36 PM

Ten cricket :ty: our dth only has Tensports channel :(

Here too :sad:

Night Ten sportslae highlights poduvaanga :P

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd November 2010, 05:45 PM
caam on Fakistan

Fakistan ki Zindabad :yessir:

Maniraj
2nd November 2010, 06:04 PM
caam on Fakistan

Fakistan ki Zindabad :yessir:

Apadiyae fakistaan poyirunga :wave:

raghavendran
2nd November 2010, 07:14 PM

Ten cricket :ty: our dth only has Tensports channel :(

Here too :sad:

Night Ten sportslae highlights poduvaanga :Pindha ten tholla thanga mudiyale..ten action forfootballten cricket for cricket..tengolf..ippadi oru oru sports oru oru channel :banghead: ...ellathayum pakka mudiyala :x

Maniraj
2nd November 2010, 07:15 PM
Yes :sad:

Intha week UEFA Champions league paaka mudiyathu polae :cry:

raghavendran
2nd November 2010, 07:17 PM
Yes :sad:

Intha week UEFA Champions league paaka mudiyathu polae :cry:today even in tensports 2matches r aired..but namma match edhulennu theriyala :?

Puliyan_Biryani
2nd November 2010, 07:37 PM
Shahid Afridi to de Villiers, OUT, This could be out, the third umpire called to check on a stumping appeal. Lovely bit of flight and turn from Afridi, who lands it on middle and off and snakes it past AB's uncertain prod outside off. The replay suggests not out. Wait a minute, the third umpire has said "Out"! Controversial stuff here, he seemed atleast two inches in when the bails came off. Smith in the dressing room throws his hands out and looks absolutely annoyed. Well, well! We need to look at that again, and maybe the 3rd umpire, Zameer Haider, needs to as well! The decision stays, AB is gone. Well, we have seen replays and that is a howler from the 3rd ump. AB's backfoot did come out, but he was well in when the bails came off. Even Fawad Alam, who was walking past AB as he headed back looked surprised with the call. AB just shrugged, looking clueless as he kept walking. Bizarre.
:rotfl2: indha maadhiri rendu 3rd umpire India-vulayum irundha usepul-a irukkum.

P_R
2nd November 2010, 08:03 PM
Article from the Guardian (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/theashes/8102627/Steve-James-forget-the-hype-in-countdown-to-the-Ashes-Australia-just-arent-good-any-more.html)

England's toughest tour? No chance. It will, though, be good preparation. India, the world's No 1 team, are coming next summer

raghavendran
2nd November 2010, 08:06 PM
Article from the Guardian (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/theashes/8102627/Steve-James-forget-the-hype-in-countdown-to-the-Ashes-Australia-just-arent-good-any-more.html)

England's toughest tour? No chance. It will, though, be good preparation. India, the world's No 1 team, are coming next summer :exactly: if england wins..it shud seal the hype around ashes hereafter..untill aussies get back on track..india is bigger ofcourse

P_R
2nd November 2010, 08:09 PM
Actually I think Ashes will be quite keenly contested.

Plum
2nd November 2010, 08:13 PM
I think Aussies will win the ashes

Maniraj
2nd November 2010, 08:14 PM
I think Aussies will win the ashes

Appo ok :mrgreen:

Riyazz
3rd November 2010, 10:50 AM
Makhaya Ntini retires from international cricket

Makhaya Ntini the South Africa fast bowler, has announced his retirement from international cricket but will continue representing domestic sides. Ntini will be given a farewell during the Twenty20 international between South Africa and India at the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban on January 9, when he will make his final appearance for South Africa.

An emotional Ntini, fighting back tears, announced his decision at a press conference in Johannesburg on Tuesday. He reflected on his journey from being the first black African cricketer to play for South Africa in 1998 to becoming one of the nation's premier bowlers.

"It has been a wonderful journey for me to represent my country," Ntini said at his retirement press conference in Johannesburg. "I have so many great memories, which I will carry with me for the rest of my life. My career is by no means over; it just means that internationally my time has come to hang up my boots. Domestic cricket is thriving at the moment, and I want to be a part of the set up, as a player, for as long as possible."

Ntini said he made his decision "two months ago" but only announced it on Tuesday because he has been in meetings with Cricket South Africa over his future. "I was in Port Elizabeth and thought it's time to call it a day. I can't keep waiting to end something when I don't know when it's going to end. I didn't want to be pushed out of the game."

His international career spanned 13 years and he was the first black African player to represent the country, four years after democracy. It was the completion of a journey that began when, as a 14-year-old boy who could barely speak English, Ntini was given a scholarship to Dale College. The prestigious Eastern Cape school had deep cricketing roots and was where Ntini honedhis skills and made a name for himself. Seven years later, he was picked for South Africa, achieving what many thought was impossible.

"Nobody ever thought that we as black people would be able to compete, but I've done that. I've conquered and I've been through all the cricketing countries. I left footprints, I did everything that I needed to do to show that we as black people can manage, we can do everything."

He has never shied away from being the black face of South African cricket and acting as a role model to black youth. Ntini said in his time with the national team "all the coaches and the three captains, the late Hansie Cronje, Shaun Pollock, Graeme Smith showed me that it's not about your colour, it's about what you can do."

Ntini always maintained the combination of coming from a rural, poor background and his race meant that he had to work harder than anyone else. "I knew that challenges that would come in the years to come and I was prepared for it. I tied my laces, I ran every day because I wanted to achieve what no one else could," said Ntini.

The hours spent practicing could all have amounted to nought when Ntini was convicted of rape two years after making his debut. He reflected on that time as the worst in his life. "I thought I would never play again. The worst badge you could put on anyone is that of a rapist." The then United Cricket Board assisted Ntini in his appeal and he was subsequently acquitted but he still had a tainted reputation that took time to mend. "Some of the people of this country believed that if you are mentioned in that way (as a rapist), you'd done it, and to win all of them back was hard."

Despite the difficulty, he managed to do just that. In 2005 and 2007, Ntini was voted South Africa's most popular sportsman of the year in the BMI Adult SportTrack Report . By then, he had also become the first South African to take 10 wickets at Lords and had claimed the best return by a South African bowler in a Test match, with 13 wickets for 132 runs against the West Indies in Trinidad.

"Taking Test wickets was the most important thing that happened to me in my life," said Ntini, who quickly added that he has no regrets about retiring before reaching the magical 400-wicket mark. "It's just one of those things that happens." Ntini retired with 390 wickets from 101 tests at an average of 28.82.

His love of cricket has not dimmed and he is committed to playing for the Warriors for "as long as they will have me." He also plans to spend his part of retirement working at his academy in Mdantsane, near East London. The academy will focus on players between the ages of seven and 24 and will seek to assist players of colour. "I am sick and tired identifying a child and putting him in an academy and six months later, we don't see him again. We need to make sure we protect the new generations of cricketers," said Ntini.

Although the academy is an independent project, Ntini is in talks with Cricket South Africa (CSA) to assimilate with their development programmes. He will also be acting as a CSA ambassador. Gerald Majola, chief executive officer of CSA said that helping Ntini cope post-retirement is part of an initiative by the body so that "Makhaya can have a career after cricket." Majola said CSA aims to assist former players in accordance with their "calibre and level of skills."

Ntini 's effervescent personality makes him an ideal representative for CSA and will also ensure that he can keep to his promise of "making sure cricket in this country does not die." Most of all, he wants to remembered as a uniter. "Makhaya is not just a name, or a person, its energy, dedication, pride, all of us together. It's Ubuntu." The word originates from African traditions and focuses on communities. Its meaning, 'I am because we are,' captures how Ntini flew the flag for the black majority in South African cricket.

good cricketer.......... :clap: all the best for future :thumbsup:

P_R
3rd November 2010, 11:26 AM
Oops I thought he'd already retired :oops:

MADDY
3rd November 2010, 11:34 AM
nethhu nalla irundha manusan, innaikku retire aayittaru, kaalam kettu kedakku :(

ajaybaskar
3rd November 2010, 11:38 AM
Edho avaru 'mavuth' aana effect kodukkareenga? :-)

Sourav
3rd November 2010, 11:41 AM
nethhu nalla irundha manusan, innaikku retire aayittaru, kaalam kettu kedakku :( avan rombha naalave summa mixture thane saaptitu irunthan...

Dinesh84
3rd November 2010, 01:59 PM
1st ODI

Australia 239/8 (50 overs)

Sri Lanka 60/2 (11.1 overs)

ajaybaskar
3rd November 2010, 03:06 PM
SL 111/8 in 26 Overs.

Riyazz
3rd November 2010, 03:10 PM
SL 111/8 in 26 Overs. aus :clap:

Riyazz
3rd November 2010, 03:14 PM
Xavier Doherty (sla) 6.0over 19/4 :clap:

Dhakshan
3rd November 2010, 03:17 PM
Sri Lanka 60/2 (11.1 overs)

SL 111/8 in 26 Overs.

:shock:
Koot batting :clap:

MADDY
3rd November 2010, 03:35 PM
nethhu nalla irundha manusan, innaikku retire aayittaru, kaalam kettu kedakku :( avan rombha naalave summa mixture thane saaptitu irunthan...

:rotfl:

Edho avaru 'mavuth' aana effect kodukkareenga?

vivek's appa in Run: retire dhaane da aanen, sethha poitten
vivek: rendum onnu dhaan, idha off pannu

ajaybaskar
3rd November 2010, 03:40 PM
SL 165/8 in 33 overs.

Mathews 40
Malinga 26

Current partnership 59 runs, 7.4 overs, RR: 7.69 (Malinga 26, Mathews 29)

Maniraj
3rd November 2010, 03:41 PM
Come on Srilanka :clap:

P_R
3rd November 2010, 03:44 PM
nethhu nalla irundha manusan, innaikku retire aayittaru, kaalam kettu kedakku :( avan rombha naalave summa mixture thane saaptitu irunthan... :lol:

Riyazz
3rd November 2010, 03:47 PM
Come on Srilanka :clap: yean avanga vilyaduradhu pudikalia

Maniraj
3rd November 2010, 03:50 PM
:notthatway: Srilanka thaan jeykanum :P

Maniraj
3rd November 2010, 03:54 PM
Malinga Six :clap:

MADDY
3rd November 2010, 04:01 PM
SL 165/8 in 33 overs.

Mathews 40
Malinga 26

Current partnership 59 runs, 7.4 overs, RR: 7.69 (Malinga 26, Mathews 29)

only 38 more to win for SL :shock: .....

ajaybaskar
3rd November 2010, 04:02 PM
Sri Lanka require another 39 runs with 2 wickets and 12.0 overs remaining

Riyazz
3rd November 2010, 04:07 PM
mathews & malinga :clap:

Maniraj
3rd November 2010, 04:23 PM
Mathews :clap: :notworthy:

Aus :poke:

Puliyan_Biryani
3rd November 2010, 04:33 PM
1 run needed. Malinga run out :-(. Mathews on strike.

Sourav
3rd November 2010, 04:36 PM
SL won...

Maniraj
3rd November 2010, 04:36 PM
Sri Lanka :clap:

Puliyan_Biryani
3rd November 2010, 04:37 PM
Sri Lanka Super appu :clap:

Riyazz
3rd November 2010, 04:38 PM
srilanka....... :clap: australia....... :poke:

ajaybaskar
3rd November 2010, 04:40 PM
SL :clap:

Auzzies :lol2:

Plum
3rd November 2010, 04:45 PM
thalaivar Ponting illAma Australia thadumArudhu. Nesstu match thalaivar coming back. apram pArunga australia's rudra thANdavam

Dinesh84
3rd November 2010, 04:53 PM
I thought the Aussies were always lucky to scrap through these kind of matches.. but now it seems that the lady luck has said tata to Aussies.. now they are at the receiving end! :D

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd November 2010, 04:53 PM
thalaivar Ponting illAma Australia thadumArudhu. Nesstu match thalaivar coming back. apram pArunga australia's rudra thANdavam

ippo thaan aadi mudinchu vanthuirukEn marupadiyuma ?

littlemaster1982
3rd November 2010, 06:51 PM
I thought the Aussies were always lucky to scrap through these kind of matches.. but now it seems that the lady luck has said tata to Aussies.. now they are at the receiving end! :D

I won't say they were lucky. They were never used to give up till the last moment. Of late they are lacking that fighting spirit, IMO.

raghavendran
3rd November 2010, 07:12 PM
120-8 irundhanga illa?..aussiesukku aappu varudhu varudhu

MALINGA AND MATTHEWS :clap:

Maniraj
3rd November 2010, 07:24 PM

Appo neenga fantasy team submit panna maatinga :evil:

raghavendran
3rd November 2010, 07:44 PM

Appo neenga fantasy team submit panna maatinga :evil:teamla sethukalena eppadi seyya mudiyum :evil: ..thaniyalam aada mudiyadhu

PARAMASHIVAN
5th November 2010, 04:32 PM

Flum

What happned to Fonding ?? :lol2: :lol2:

Maniraj
5th November 2010, 04:40 PM

Flum

:notthatway:

10 runs adichitaar.. avar kadamai mudunchudhu :lol2:

PARAMASHIVAN
5th November 2010, 04:41 PM

Flum

:notthatway:

10 runs adichitaar.. avar kadamai mudunchudhu :lol2:

avaru thanoda kadamaiyai thaan seincharu nu solureengala :lol2:

Maniraj
5th November 2010, 04:50 PM
:yes:

Riyazz
6th November 2010, 08:37 AM
Pak win by 1 wkt . Now series 2-2

steveaustin
7th November 2010, 11:17 AM
3rd and Final ODI between SL Vs AUS at Gabba.

Sri Lanka 112/9 (30.3 ov)

Five star Mckay destroys the Lankans....

Can Malinga rescue the SL once again, this time with the ball??? or will the Oz end their drought?

steveaustin
7th November 2010, 04:16 PM
High five Mckay flummoxed the Lankans and set up an Aussie win after seven consecutive losses.

ajaybaskar
8th November 2010, 03:21 PM
http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/486103.html

GP
8th November 2010, 03:22 PM

Maniraj
8th November 2010, 03:30 PM

Ivana fantasy teamlae vaera eduthu vechirunthaenae :sad: :mrgreen:

ajaybaskar
8th November 2010, 03:31 PM
Adhaan odittaan pola... :lol2:

Riyazz
8th November 2010, 03:33 PM

Ivana fantasy teamlae vaera eduthu vechirunthaenae :sad: :mrgreen: appa sari........... :lol:

Maniraj
8th November 2010, 03:34 PM
PCB officials refused to comment on the matter or talk about the reasons for his non-arrival. But a cryptic message left as a status update on the player's Facebook page said: "leaving pakistan cricket because get bad msg fr 1 man fr lose the match in last game." A TV reporter for Geo, a leading Pakistani news channel, said that he had received a similar text message from Zulqarnain earlier on Monday.

:roll: :think:

ajaybaskar
8th November 2010, 03:36 PM
Typical pakistani english, once mastered by Inzie.

Riyazz
9th November 2010, 09:36 AM
'If you are not in the team, you are doing something wrong'

India's coach looks ahead to the next year: playing the World Cup and 14 Tests, building up the bench strength to deal with retirements, and his high points so far

Interview by Nagraj Gollapudi

November 9, 2010
You played 100 Tests yourself. You coach a team that has two different sets of players: one has played more Tests than you and the other is the inexperienced one. How do you handle these two groups?

I believe that some players need more inputs, more nurturing than others. Again, each individual is very different. Even some of your senior players like to know that they are doing a good job and are adding value to the team. It is my responsibility to assess that. The important thing is, no matter how I manage them, each individual needs to know that they can trust me, that the things I am saying to them are for their benefit. They are going to be here a lot longer than I am. I just hope I can have a positive influence on each one of them in a different way over the short space of time I am with the team.

You like to keep a low-key profile. Is that important?
As important as the media is to the game I don't feel I have got a lot to say publicly. Whether the team performs well or not, we as a support staff need to know we have tried everything to give the players the best chance of success. Obviously the team's success brings a lot of satisfaction for the work done by all of us. As an example, nothing excites me more than Ishant Sharma going to win a game for India with the bat because I know how much time he puts in the nets.

There is possibly a perception that you like to give a player the space to grow and understand himself. But at times the message doesn't get across. Do you agree?
I certainly won't comment on any individual but my coaching philosophy might not work for everyone. So I have to manipulate my thinking to make it work best for certain individuals. Sometimes there are players who don't fire under you. That is going to happen, you do everything you think of to make the environment work for him, but things don't happen.

Moving on to your relationship with Dhoni. He is possibly the most important player in the side. He seems like someone who leads by instinct. What kind or relationship do you share with him?
Yes, he does lead by his gut feel. He has got very instinctive ideas on the game. He has been absolutely critical to the success of this team. He is a calming influence. He does not get overly emotional through success and failure. He expects individuals on the field to be able to perform and that is team management's responsibility to make sure that we have prepared them in such a way that they are ready to perform. We have a strong trust relationship. We have not had a cross word in three years because we have a lot of respect for each other. We do have difference of opinions and we discuss them If we are undecided on something, we will ask some of the players their thoughts and come to a decision. He is an incredible captain in terms of the way he has the feel for the game. I have not seen many in the world have the flair for the game like he does. One thing you would have noticed in his two years as captain of the Test side specifically is that how the seamers have grown to play a massive role in this team. They have got as many wickets as the spinners have got on flat wickets because he uses the seamers cleverly at various times in the game. He brings them into the game all the time. They are never spending two sessions out in the field just fielding after bowling fiver overs early on.

Does his spontaneity scare you at times?
He does things sometimes that I might do it differently, but I certainly trust him with his decision-making. I have always believed that when it comes to strategy there are many ways to skin a cat. And that is where MS is very good - he will often think left field, think creatively about something, to achieve results. I am very mindful of the fact that it is not my way that is necessarily the right way. There might be another way that could be the right one, too.

What is the biggest challenge for this team?
Managing the expectations - that is the biggest challenge. I do not think anyone fully appreciates the pressure each of these individuals is under. It is immense, immense. Cricket is such a huge game over here and these individuals are feeling the mental strain as they are playing a lot of cricket. Managing the physical and mental demands is probably the biggest challenge.

What about the ageing middle order?
It is difficult to say because there is no indication of any of them retiring. And I always ask them. They are certainly not in any rush. Look, if Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar or VVS Laxman decides to retire it is a major blow. Just like when Jacques Kallis and Ricky Ponting decide to retire it is a major blow for their respective teams. But as long as the retirements of these players are staggered, rather than everyone leaving all at ,once it will be a little easier for the team to integrate and groom the younger players. Next year will be challenging because there are 14 Test matches. It will be a physically demanding year, especially for the senior players.

Is India in safe hands as far as the next generation is concerned?
Yes, there are some really good players. You will have Sehwag, Gambhir, Dhoni, Raina, along with the likes of Ishant, Vijay, Pujara and others. Yes, you might miss out on a Laxman batting in a crucial situation to win you a game, but someone like Suresh Raina has done it plenty of times in one-dayers so there is no reason why he can't transfer it to a Test match.

What about the bowlers? When you came in, the fast-bowling stocks were much better. But the second line of bowlers now seems to be struggling for form and from injuries.
It is difficult to say. Fast bowling is the most physically demanding task on a cricket field. Even the most finely tuned fast bowlers are getting injured because of the amount of game time. You can't expect a Zaheer Khan or an Ishant Sharma to be there game in and game out. We need to have a supply of four to five fast bowlers who can come in anytime. There is the potential to have that, but it is not there yet. There are a couple of youngsters we can get quite excited about but they have a long way to go. At the moment I believe the three seamers who we can get the most out of are Zaheer, Ishant and Sreesanth. Ashish Nehra and Praveen Kumar have shown they have the necessary skills to be successful in the one-day game.

It is a bit of a concern because there are constant niggles, constant injury concerns. The South African series is a big one and it is more than likely we are going to use three seamers, so it is going to be really important that we have three really fit fast bowlers who will make an impact in the Test matches.

Are you well equipped as far as injury management is concerned?
We need to make sure that we have the right expertise in the environment to manage injures and we have worked hard towards that. But it is also the responsibility of the players and we always tell the guys to manage their bodies, manage themselves in a way that gives them the best chance of success. When these players leave the Indian environment we can't go their home territory and hold their hands to go through the physical processes. If they do it themselves it is going to show up in their performances.

Would it not be beneficial to the second line of players to have somebody like Eric Simons, the bowling coach, visitng the NCA during his free time?
More than that what we probably need to find in the future is a physical conditioning co-ordinator between the NCA and the team, someone that is a link. So when guys are out of the set-up they are constantly monitored.

The bowling coach is very much needed with the national team and really does not have the time to do any work at the NCA.

Who do you think would be the right person for such a job?

To find the right person would need to be discussed with Anil Kumble and NCA.

Based on my conversation with certain fringe

players who are sitting out on the bench, it seems they don't get a clear message about where they have gone wrong. They seem uncertain about what they need to do to get things right.

Sometimes it is really difficult getting the balance of the team right and players miss out because of that. I have tried to communicate as much as possible with players that are not playing, but often a player feels he should be playing. I understand that and I know players get frustrated. I've always believed that players should look for ways of making it difficult for selectors to leave them out of the side no matter how limited their chances have been.

Do you perhaps feel one area you might not be so strong in is paying enough attention to the bowlers?
It is not my core skill. I have got strong ideas in terms of strategy as far as the bowlers are concerned. But when it comes to nurturing and working on technical skills it is for the bowling coach. The bowlers have responded really well to Eric Simons. He has a simple but effective approach. He is very structured and believes in, and I feel it is due to his South African ways, in repetition, repetition, repetition. Do the skill well in the nets because if you are can't do it in the nets you won't be able to do it in the middle. He works with each bowler to execute something. He repeats it every practice session net, every net, every net, let's do this, let's do this, let's do this.

In the last one-day game against Australia in Kochi, and you take out the final five overs when Cameron White came hard at us at death, it was probably our best bowling on a flat wicket. To have them 205 for 3 in 45 overs was incredible bowling. We counted only six deliveries were badly executed.

We are working on specific skills. Even in the nets we encourage the bowlers not to bowl one ball down the leg side, not even the first ball. But that takes time and hopefully we should be ready by the time the World Cup comes.

Moving back to the team's goals - how do you maintain the top spot in Tests?
We have done it for a year now. The consistency to be able to continue to do that is important to us. The guys take pride in every Test match they play now. We have lost two Tests this year but we have won a whole lot. I have been thrilled with the performances, especially sometimes despite the shortage of resources. I mean that Test match we won in Sri Lanka was as good as it gets: without Harbhajan Singh and Zaheer Khan in the attack, to be able to get 20 wickets was incredible.

"What we probably need to find in the future is a physical conditioning

Would you say South Africa is the biggest test?
Yes, South Africa in South Africa. To win in South Africa would be defining moment for us. But I believe we don't need to justify to anyone as the performances over the last two years speak for themselves: 23 Tests, 2 losses, 12 wins. When you look at the performances of the five top-ranked Test teams over the two years you know why India are at the top.

We got to continue performing. We have to go and win in South Africa, we are fully aware of that. But if this team does win in South Africa then you can start talking about the greatest Test team India have ever produced.

Are you confident about winning there?
It is going to be tough. South Africa are very tough to beat at home, as India are to beat in India. The wickets really suit the pace bowlers. I certainly don't think that any opposition can use short-pitched bowling as an out-and-out strategy to undo our batting line-up. There is too much experience in this team now. Also, the Indian fast bowlers are good themselves on helpful wickets - Sreesanth, Ishant and Zak are a good bowling attack.

We have a lot of work still to do on the specifics of technique prior to the Test series. The players will need time to adjust their techniques to get comfortable with the conditions. The BCCI has approved the early departure of some our players to South Africa to have sufficient time to prepare properly for a very important series.

What can Indian learn from Australia, since they were the top-ranked team for a long time?
You can always learn from the opposition, otherwise you will be arrogant. But this Indian team have got their own brand, their own style. One critical thing has been the desire to perform as a team, not as a bunch of individuals. In the successful Australian teams there was this pride for playing for the baggy green - a real desire to continue to perform as a team. Winning, then, becomes a habit. This particular Indian team now is starting to find that they are quite enjoying the habit of winning. There is a real pride to perform with each of these individuals, to tough it out in tough situations. There are key players who play that role in the team, who are key to the success.

Finally, if you could tell us what your best moments so far in Tests with India have been?
Winning that Test series against Australia in 2008 was a big moment. It was great to be part of beginning the process where the Australians were not on top of world cricket. To visibly see the guys realise that they could beat [the Australians] consistently was really good. We went through a really good patch of one-day cricket back then. Leading into the Australian ODI series at home last year, we had a win ratio of 75-80%. That was over 30 games. It was disappointing losing that home series. If we had won it we would have become the No. 1 ODI team. It was something we wanted to achieve. We had it there in our grasp, so it was disappointing. Winning the Asia Cup was exciting, more so because it was an important milestone mentally for the players.

Part one of the interview is here

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/486070.html

ajaybaskar
9th November 2010, 07:45 PM
Zulqarnain Haider confirms threats, retires

http://www.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/current/story/486162.html

GP
10th November 2010, 03:48 PM
Got threats in domestic cricket as well - Haider
November 10, 2010

Pakistan wicketkeeper Zulqarnain Haider, who fled Dubai for London after receiving threats during the ODI series against South Africa in the UAE, has said that he had been threatened while playing domestic cricket in Pakistan as well.

Speaking to Geo, a leading Pakistani news channel, Haider said he had been told to include particular players in his team. "Yes I have got threats that I should play so and so player, or not play that player,'' he said.

Haider's comments have put the spotlight on a match between Lahore Eagles and National Bank of Pakistan (NBP) during the Royal Bank of Scotland Cup in 2008-09. Haider was removed as Lahore's captain ahead of that match, which NBP needed to win convincingly to improve their net run-rate and qualify for the semi-final.

Lahore batted first and were dismissed for 122 in 40.3 overs with Haider making a two-ball duck. NBP chased down the target with all wickets intact in only 6.1 overs. Salman Butt, who is currently provisionally suspended by the ICC on charges of spot-fixing, scored 92 off 25 balls, hitting 16 fours and four sixes. One of Lahore's bowlers, the debutant Usman Sarwar, conceded 78 runs in three overs in what remains his only List A game. There were media reports and questions raised over the unusual result but the PCB said it had found nothing untoward about the match.

Plum
10th November 2010, 04:00 PM
Really, this is the limit. Pakistan must be banned for the sanity of Cricket followers of the world. Disgusting!

- From a strong supporter of Pakistani Cricket :(

P_R
10th November 2010, 04:07 PM
PCB said it had found nothing untoward about the match

GM: oooo...oooo
P1: .... :-)
GM: edhukkum asaramAttiyA? ini un kaadhula aNuguNdai thaan dA pOdaNum

Plum
10th November 2010, 04:15 PM
Pakistan Concede 48 runs in the last over to lose in HongKong Sixes match (http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/48-runs-off-the-final-over-no-problem-20101108-17kov.html)

Pakistan had scored 6-132 in five eight-ball overs and faced the seemingly simple task of holding Australia to less than 46 from the last eight balls delivered by Imran Nazir. But Nazir conceded 12 wides and six no-balls in a nightmarish final over as the Australians got home with a ball to spare.

engE pOnAlum ivainga ipdi thAn pOla

19thmay
10th November 2010, 04:17 PM
Enakennamo match fixers merattuna maadhri therila. lakshar-e-taibava-va? alqaeda-va? Probably they want Pakistani youth not to further get distracted by cricket. PCB-ya izhuthu moodina nalladhu thaane avangalaukku?

ajaybaskar
10th November 2010, 04:20 PM
Enakkennamo idhu edho UK journalistoda 'sting'onnu thonudhu. Poor Haider bayandhu odittaan.

GP
10th November 2010, 05:06 PM
Haider's comments have put the spotlight on a match between Lahore Eagles and National Bank of Pakistan (NBP) during the Royal Bank of Scotland Cup in 2008-09. Haider was removed as Lahore's captain ahead of that match, which NBP needed to win convincingly to improve their net run-rate and qualify for the semi-final.
http://www.cricinfo.com/pakdomestic/engine/current/match/392532.html

Plum
10th November 2010, 05:40 PM
Well, one thing is clear. Pakistani team - atleast a good number of them - is in the firm hold of match fixers. And some of them possibly have no choice.

I have been a supporter of Paki cricket through the bad and worse but even my patience is wearing thin.

konja nALaikku ban paNdradhu nalladhu dhAnnu thONudhu.

MADDY
10th November 2010, 06:55 PM
konja nALaikku ban paNdradhu nalladhu dhAnnu thONudhu.

:exactly: idha thaan naanum nethhu nenachen - ban them until the fixers tire out and leave the business

ajithfederer
11th November 2010, 03:53 AM
Dravid's hundred against the lamentable New Zealanders was predictable, but it proved nothing - apart from boosting his statistics. His selection was an opportunity wasted (http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/485846.html?addata=col_mod)

Annanukku thambi thappama porandhirukaanuga.

GP
13th November 2010, 01:48 PM
SA-307/2 --> 363/9

GP
13th November 2010, 02:38 PM
SA-380/10

Riyazz
13th November 2010, 03:35 PM
pak 60-0 in 10 overs

Dhakshan
13th November 2010, 03:38 PM
:banghead:

Riyazz
13th November 2010, 03:42 PM
:banghead: :huh:

Dhakshan
13th November 2010, 03:45 PM

Pak ipidi ellaam aada koodadhu.. Seekiram out aaganum :yes:

Riyazz
13th November 2010, 03:49 PM

Pak ipidi ellaam aada koodadhu.. Seekiram out aaganum :yes: ohhhhhhh..........

Riyazz
13th November 2010, 04:04 PM
Brian Lara is debuting for Southern Rocks today in Zimbabwe cricket . Follow him here He is batting with Taibu now. Phew!

Nitin: "i remember last year brian lara visiting ipl match where he said he would like to play in next edition...i guess he has already started preparing"

steveaustin
14th November 2010, 03:33 PM
Pakistan cave in after Morkel's five

South Africa 380 & 12/0 (1.5 ov)
Pakistan 248

Younis Khan to Smith, no run, full and lands just in the mat, in front of leg and raps Smith moving across on the pads. Huge appeal, was that headed down the leg? Smith survives a close call. That landed half in the mat and half out

ivan kitta koodavA???? :lol:

Younis khan opened the bowling :shock: because Wahab Riaz suffered a side strain and ruled out of the remaining matches. eppadi irundha Pak ippadi aayiduchi.... :sigh2: Not a good sign for World Cricket.

raajarasigan
15th November 2010, 03:54 PM
SL vs WI - First Test match at Galle

West Indies 284/1 (68.6 ov)

Chris Gayle (lhb) 172* 195 22 6 88.20 :clap:

Randiv to Gayle, SIX, 86.4 kph, and he gets to the hundred with another six, just clearing the man at the long off boundary, and what a celebration! raises his arms, all the while talking to himself, flashes a broad grin, takes off his helmet and lies down flat on the ground, and remains there for ages, as the dressing room stands and applauds, whaddaplaayaa :lol:

Riyazz
15th November 2010, 04:12 PM
Chris Gayle is indulging himself in Sri Lanka and Cricinfo's Madhu: "Gayle's strike rate (92.50) is the fourth highest for an innings over 150 for West Indies since 1970 behind Roy Fredericks, Clive Lloyd and Brian Lara."

steveaustin
15th November 2010, 05:59 PM
Srilanka enmeshed in Gayle force.

WI Vs SL
WI - 362/2 at Stumps

Carribbean cavalier Gayle's unbeaten 219, which came of just 247 balls with 26 fours and 8 brutal sixes (St.R. 88.66) is the only highlight of the first test between SL and WI on Day. It seems that all Srilankan bowlers were hammered all over the park. Only Mendis got some respite from Gayle. Gayle needs just three more runs to beat Brian Lara's highest score of 221 against SL.

Some of the extra-ordinary hitting from Chris Gayle.

Mendis to Gayle, SIX, 85.3 kph, flighted outside off, Gayle gets one leg forward and hits through the line, and it keeps going and going and goes way over the long off boundary

Prasad to Gayle, SIX, 133.4 kph, short and sitting up, meat and drink for Gayle, as he rocks back and pulls it high and wide over deep midwicket for six

Mendis to Gayle, SIX, 82.1 kph, half-tracker, Gayle sees it coming, and pulls it violently over deep midwicket and it sails over the boundary comfortably

Randiv to Gayle, SIX, 86.0 kph, comes down the track, and lofts this fullish delivery way over the long on boundary for a huge six

Randiv to Gayle, SIX, 86.4 kph, and he gets to the hundred with another six, just clearing the man at the long off boundary, and what a celebration! raises his arms, all the while talking to himself, flashes a broad grin, takes off his helmet and lies down flat on the ground, and remains there for ages, as the dressing room stands and applauds, whaddaplaayaa

Randiv to Gayle, SIX, 82.8 kph, bang! and this flighted delivery disappears out of sight over long off, and goes out of the stadium, and is lost to eternity, the umpires call for a change, but wait the ball is miraculously delivered back to the field

Randiv to Gayle, SIX, 91.4 kph, this is not lazy at all, makes room and carts this one over extra cover, and it goes all the way, would you believe it

Randiv to Gayle, SIX, 85.6 kph, murder! pummelled down the ground or another biggie! this is incredible hitting, this is a West Indian record for most sixes in an innings

Hitting with Carribbean flair is always an absolute treat to watch than anything in cricket.

PARAMASHIVAN
15th November 2010, 05:59 PM
WI :shock: :shock: :shock:

SL :lol2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl3:

Maniraj
15th November 2010, 06:32 PM
*Chris Gayle (lhb) 219 247 26 8 88.66

:clap: :notworthy:

raghavendran
15th November 2010, 06:58 PM
C.Gayle
distruction at its very best...camman..i want him to a triple hundred.. :2thumbsup:

Sourav
15th November 2010, 09:31 PM
gayle.... :clap: eppovachum oru thadavai than adippan,.,, aana saavadiya irukkum... :thumbsup:

his monstrous sixers r treat to watch,,,,

MADDY
15th November 2010, 09:34 PM
Murali's absence is biting SL

sathya_1979
15th November 2010, 09:35 PM
Also Maanga AKA Malinga

Sourav
15th November 2010, 09:38 PM
http://p.imgci.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/124400/124467.jpg

sathya_1979
15th November 2010, 09:41 PM
Mendis to WI players in presence of Gayle:
Yaarudaa adhu Gayle

Gayle Reply: Yaaru adichaa pandhu parandhu groundkku veLeela poi vizhundhu kaaNaama pOgudhO, avandhaan Gayle. Adhu naandhaan!

Dhakshan
15th November 2010, 09:55 PM
http://p.imgci.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/124400/124467.jpg

Oru vaela idhuku paer thaan black and white kambinason-o :roll:

ajithfederer
16th November 2010, 02:38 AM
Caman, camaan a long over due on steve waugh. The real architect of Ozzie cricket

Legends of cricket

http://www.espncricinfo.com/legends-of-cricket/content/site/451900.html

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 10:23 AM
Gayle holds the highest individual score by a West Indies batsman in Sri Lanka, the next four are by that man, BC Lara.

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 10:41 AM
Isnt it curious? Every time Sehwag reaches 100 or 150 we start talking about 400... Now we have a guy batting on 220, who scores as quick as sehwag, and the furthest we have talked about is 317?? Curious indeed.. So guys any chance Gayle might get to 401?" Well, it was Gayle himself who talked about 317

:think:

Sourav
16th November 2010, 11:05 AM
enna yosanai... gayle pora pokkai paatha adichuruvaan pola... viru intha series oru 300-avathu adipannu ethirpaathen... again..,disappointment....

http://p.imgci.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/124400/124468.jpg :lol:

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 12:41 PM
Gayle need 2 more runs to become the highest scorer for WI in the sub-continent. I think this is the best chance for him to go for 400.

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 12:49 PM
Gayle become the highest scorer for WI in the sub-continent. :thumbsup:

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 12:55 PM
Needs 19 more runs to become the highest away run scorer in an innings by a WI.

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 01:13 PM
"My hope is that Gayle bats for 5 days and ends 1500 not out. Maybe that will encourage the Sri Lankan groundspeople to prepare competitive pitches. Mind you, they might then make even flatter tracks so that Mahela or Sanga have a shot at breaking the record."

:rotfl: :rotfl:

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 01:24 PM
Gayle is now past Stephen Fleming for the highest score by an overseas batsman in Sri Lanka.

Gayle now needs just 19 runs to become the fourth player to score two triple hundreds besides Don Bradman, Brian Lara and Virendra Sehwag.

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 01:32 PM
Which one is the worst pitch, as of now?

Ind Vs NZ - NZ 420/6 (II innings)

WI Vs SL - WI 470/3 (I innings)

Please prepare sportive pitches. If they prepared these types of pitches, no records will be safe in near future.

KKR openers on fire. It seems to be the day for KKR openers. One is on 282* and another one is on 215*.

Puliyan_Biryani
16th November 2010, 01:39 PM
Elsewhere, Pakistan are fighting tooth and nails to save the test match on the 5th day.

3 wickets down with 2 sessions to go. Younis Khan and Captain Misbah at the crease.

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 02:02 PM
Prasad to Gayle, 1 no ball, 138.5 kph, what a soft dismissal! its all over for Gayle, Dammika gets reward finally for bending his back, as Chris is surprised by this sharp bouncer, fends at it and it loops up for the simplest of catches to Sanga at short extra cover, Dammika slyly lies down on the ground to give Gayle a cheeky send-off, but wait a minute, Chris stands his ground, replays suggest that Dammika might have overstepped, what drama, and the umpire gives a no-ball, the triple is still on, now then, now then

Lady luck smiles on Gayle. Most probably, today is going to be his day.

Gayle with 293* become the highest run scorer in an innings in overseas for WI.

Dinesh84
16th November 2010, 02:24 PM
Gayle 301* :clap: :clap:

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 02:25 PM
Comment from WI Vs SL match.

Rev D A Nichols: "Are they playing on a road? With a tennis ball?"

:lol:

Gayle joined the elite club of 2 triple centuries scorers list. :clap: :clap: :clap:

1. Don Bradman
2. Brian Lara
3. Sehwag
4. Christopher Gayle (left handed version of Sehwag)

Puliyan_Biryani
16th November 2010, 02:26 PM
Gayle becomes only the fourth Test cricketer to make 2 triples :clap:

Maniraj
16th November 2010, 02:27 PM
gayle :clap:

Sourav
16th November 2010, 02:29 PM
:clap: gayle....

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 02:31 PM
Out of four 2 triple hundred scorers, two are mighty West Indians and both are left-handers. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Gayle! Go for a Quintuple century!!!!

Gayle has overtaken Sehwag's second best of 309 with a six.

19thmay
16th November 2010, 02:35 PM
Prasad to Gayle, 1 no ball, 138.5 kph, what a soft dismissal! its all over for Gayle, Dammika gets reward finally for bending his back, as Chris is surprised by this sharp bouncer, fends at it and it loops up for the simplest of catches to Sanga at short extra cover, Dammika slyly lies down on the ground to give Gayle a cheeky send-off, but wait a minute, Chris stands his ground, replays suggest that Dammika might have overstepped, what drama, and the umpire gives a no-ball, the triple is still on, now then, now then

Lady luck smiles on Gayle. Most probably, today is going to be his day.

Gayle with 293* become the highest run scorer in an innings in overseas for WI.

I saw this. It was a simple catch and Gayle was out. Since they had 2 referrals Gayle checked whether the ball was a legal one. Its an overstep no ball wow! :lol:

Dummika :poke:

Dhakshan
16th November 2010, 02:43 PM
Gayle :clap:

Plum
16th November 2010, 02:46 PM
I'd like to see Sourav's reaction to this :-)
UPDATE: Just saw Sourav has alreacy reacted.

Sourav
16th November 2010, 03:15 PM
haha... 400 adichiruvan pola...

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 03:47 PM
Gayle now level with Graham Gooch.

Maniraj
16th November 2010, 03:49 PM
Mendis 3 wicket..

Antha ranakalathilayum avanuku oru kuthukalam :lol2:

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 03:57 PM
One more bites the dust. Pressure... Pressure.... Pure pressure.... Chris Gayle bowled by Mendis. Gayle still well played...... :notworthy: :notworthy:

Here Lara proves why he is absolutely great. Twice he has overtaken the greatest allrounder's 365* without pressure. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Riyazz
16th November 2010, 03:57 PM
Gayle :clap:

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 03:59 PM
Gayle on par with Graham Gooch on the elite 300 club. 8-)

GP
16th November 2010, 04:04 PM
WI 559/3 --> 566/7

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 04:06 PM
Pak Vs SA
Pak 275/3 (99 Overs)

Younis Khan 101*

What a way to bring hundred in the 4th innings of a test on the last day.

98.4 Botha to Younis Khan, SIX

Botha to Younis Khan, 2 runs, and the sweep this time, Younis goes down on a knee and sweeps it fine. He moves to 95

Botha to Younis Khan, FOUR, take that. Botha lands this on off stump and Younis wears his dancing shoes to shimmy down and loft him straight back. Very clean hit, it thuds into the advertisement boards behind long on

Riyazz
16th November 2010, 04:12 PM
Gayle 333 , mendis 5 wkts :clap:

raghavendran
16th November 2010, 04:58 PM
2 times triple hunfred
D.Bradman
B.Lara
V.Sehwag
C.Gayle :notworthy:
most destructive batsman is C.GAYLE...IMO...he is a destroyer

Sourav
16th November 2010, 05:05 PM
2 times triple hunfred
D.Bradman
B.Lara
V.Sehwag
most destructive batsman is C.GAYLE...IMO...he is a destroyer :twisted: ithey than viru-kum sonna in last match.... who is most destructive?

enakku intha settu pudikkala.... :twisted: thalaiva seekiram innoru 300+ adi....

Riyazz
16th November 2010, 05:07 PM
Nan ethir parthan sourav. Ragav potavudan nenga comment pannuvinganu :P

Sourav
16th November 2010, 05:12 PM
hehe,,, :P

raghavendran
16th November 2010, 05:23 PM
2 times triple hunfred
D.Bradman
B.Lara
V.Sehwag
most destructive batsman is C.GAYLE...IMO...he is a destroyer :twisted: ithey than viru-kum sonna in last match.... who is most destructive?

enakku intha settu pudikkala.... :twisted: thalaiva seekiram innoru 300+ adi....na enga sehwaga sonnen..apdi solirndhalum gayla marandhiruppen :P ...enaku gayle dhan most destructive :P ..

P_R
16th November 2010, 05:27 PM
2 times triple hunfred
D.Bradman
B.Lara
V.Sehwag

290+ scores-ai paarunga :mrgreen:

Sourav
16th November 2010, 05:30 PM
2 times triple hunfred
D.Bradman
B.Lara
V.Sehwag

enakku intha settu pudikkala.... :twisted: thalaiva seekiram innoru 300+ adi....na enga sehwaga sonnen..apdi solirndhalum gayla marandhiruppen :P ...enaku gayle dhan most destructive :P ..sari vacchikko... :P //nan ithai mind-la vacchukiren...
just 4 info...
gayle - 88 matches 40+ avg with 58+ s/r.
viru - 83 matches 54+ avg with 82+ s/r. more consistent+more destructive...

Sourav
16th November 2010, 05:32 PM
2 times triple hunfred
D.Bradman
B.Lara
V.Sehwag

290+ scores-ai paarunga :mrgreen: :lol: :thumbsup:

MADDY
16th November 2010, 05:35 PM
Gayle is a polished Afridi - Sehwag ellam romba mela irukkaaru......but gayle 2 300'saa :shock: :?

GP
16th November 2010, 05:36 PM
Pakistan need 117 runs from 15 overs with 7 wickets remaining,
but they seem to be playing for a draw.

Dinesh84
16th November 2010, 05:40 PM
Wow.. 3 test matches happening in parallel.. kud kud.. :D

raghavendran
16th November 2010, 05:41 PM
2 times triple hunfred
D.Bradman
B.Lara
V.Sehwag

enakku intha settu pudikkala.... :twisted: thalaiva seekiram innoru 300+ adi....na enga sehwaga sonnen..apdi solirndhalum gayla marandhiruppen :P ...enaku gayle dhan most destructive :P ..sari vacchikko... :P //nan ithai mind-la vacchukiren...
just 4 info...
viru - 83 matches 54+ avg with 82+ s/r. more consistent+more destructive...ramal thambi
na sehwag bettera gayle betteranu comparelam pannala...destruction mattumdhan sonnen..consistency pathilam na sollave illiye

raghavendran
16th November 2010, 05:44 PM
2 times triple hunfred
D.Bradman
B.Lara
V.Sehwag

290+ scores-ai paarunga :mrgreen: :lol: ..300 mattumdhan kanaku

Sourav
16th November 2010, 05:44 PM
ragahv anne, anga s/r-nu onnu irukku athai paarunga... 58 vs 82. diffrence remmbha kammi than illa?... :P

Sourav
16th November 2010, 05:46 PM
Wow.. 3 test matches happening in parallel.. kud kud.. :D ithai afternoon-e post panirukkanum... 2 than.... athnan namma match mudinju pocchey... :mrgreen:

GP
16th November 2010, 05:46 PM
Pakistan needed 108 runs from 14 overs with 7 wickets remaining, but they decided to settle for a draw. :shock:

Oh Dear. They've called it off. Handshakes all around and the captains have decided to end it. South Africa didn't expect to cause a miracle in the last few overs, nor did Pakistan want to risk going for the remaining runs. Excellent effort from these two, Younis and Misbah, playing their first Test after a long time, who have helped Pakistan to safety. They were under pressure when Azhar Ali fell and though Younis was lucky, dropped by Boucher early in his innings, and so was Misbah, dropped at short leg by Amla, they batted with determination to defy expectations in this first Test. South Africa will be rueing the missed chances and given the inexperience further down the order, the story could have been different had those chances been snapped.

Plum
16th November 2010, 05:48 PM
Sehwag is obviously ahead of Gayle but I like this Gayle getting two triple centuries - it kind of tells you the cheapness of runs these days.
While you can say that it applies to everyone including Sachin, the difference is that Sachin can and has scored runs in all situations against all levels of bowlers, while most of the top scorers today will not truly be in the 50+ avg bracket if they had played in an era where bowlers were less impotent.

idhu ipdiyE continue Agi, oru nAL Jayawardene or Umar Akmal or Adrian Barath 400 adichAlum Achariyapadaradhukilla.

Unless a new bowlers' era ushers in the current decade.

raghavendran
16th November 2010, 05:49 PM
ragahv anne, anga s/r-nu onnu irukku athai paarunga... 58 vs 82. diffrence remmbha kammi than illa?... :Pseri pa..ok..agreed..destruction pathi na ennoda karuthudhan sonnen.. i find gayle more dangerous than any1..na game style dhan mean pannen.....pls sehwage idhula izhukadheenga....na avara pathi pesave illiye? :evil: :P

GP
16th November 2010, 05:50 PM
Wow.. 3 test matches happening in parallel.. kud kud.. :D ithai afternoon-e post panirukkanum... 2 than.... athnan namma match mudinju pocchey... :mrgreen:avaru sonna naeram Pakistanum matcha mudichutaanga even though they had a chance of winning the game.

Sourav
16th November 2010, 05:53 PM
Wow.. 3 test matches happening in parallel.. kud kud.. :D ithai afternoon-e post panirukkanum... 2 than.... athnan namma match mudinju pocchey... :mrgreen:avaru sonna naeram Pakistanum matcha mudichutaanga even though they had a chance of winning the game.
so, ippo 1 than.... Sl vs WI... ada antha matchum kooda 90overs mudijirucchi...inneram ellorum hotel-ku poyiruppangae... so 0. :lol: dinsu... :cry:

Dhakshan
16th November 2010, 05:55 PM
ragahv anne, anga s/r-nu onnu irukku athai paarunga... 58 vs 82. diffrence remmbha kammi than illa?... :Pseri pa..ok..agreed..destruction pathi na ennoda karuthudhan sonnen.. i find gayle more dangerous than any1..na game style dhan mean pannen.....pls sehwage idhula izhukadheenga....na avara pathi pesave illiye? :evil: :P

Ramal mind voice: Apidi vaa vazhiku.. Torture panraan rascal :lol: j/k

Sourav
16th November 2010, 05:58 PM

Ramal mind voice: Apidi vaa vazhiku.. Torture panraan rascal :lol: j/k :lol: :wink:

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 06:03 PM
Whether it is batting or pace bowling, Carribbean flair is always a treat to watch than Indian chappathi rolling or Pakistani banana swinging.

Plum
16th November 2010, 06:07 PM
adhu oru karuththu

Dinesh84
16th November 2010, 06:07 PM
so, ippo 1 than.... Sl vs WI... ada antha matchum kooda 90overs mudijirucchi...inneram ellorum hotel-ku poyiruppangae... so 0. :lol: dinsu... :cry:

:evil: oru ithuku sonna.. thappavae purinjikirathu.. GP vera eduthu kudukuraar.. :hammer:

P_R
16th November 2010, 06:18 PM
adhu oru karuththu :lol:

'Carribean flair' அப்பிடிங்கிறதே ஒரு வெள்ளைக்கார condescending கருத்துருவாக்கம். அதுனால அதை மொத்தமா புறக்க்கணிக்கணும், அப்பிடி ஏதாவதா ? :lol2:

MADDY
16th November 2010, 06:26 PM
Sehwag is obviously ahead of Gayle but I like this Gayle getting two triple centuries - it kind of tells you the cheapness of runs these days.
While you can say that it applies to everyone including Sachin

are u feeling bad that sachin hasnt got a single 300 yet??

oru nAL Jayawardene or Umar Akmal or Adrian Barath 400 adichAlum Achariyapadaradhukilla.

Unless a new bowlers' era ushers in the current decade.

Jayawardene-kku enna korachhal - terrific batsman IMO.........btw, though times keep changing and only talented people make such marks - whether we like it or not

raghavendran
16th November 2010, 06:27 PM
Ramal mind voice: Apidi vaa vazhiku.. Torture panraan rascal :lol: j/k

Whether it is batting or pace bowling, Carribbean flair is always a treat to watch than Indian chappathi rolling or Pakistani banana swinging.
:exactly: :notworthy: :wink:

MADDY
16th November 2010, 06:30 PM

Waqar/Akram reverse swing ellam naal full-a paathutte irukkalaam..........

Puliyan_Biryani
16th November 2010, 06:57 PM
Sehwag v Gayle is a no contest really. Sehwag is way ahead.

yaaru adhiga dhooram six adikkaradhunnu potti vacha venaa Gayle win pannuvaapla. I can't think of anybody else who can hit the ball so far. Even powerful guys like Symonds normally hit it flat so it won't go that far. Gayle adikkira oru sila 6-kellaam 8 kudukkalaamngaradhu ennoda karuthu.

Maniraj
16th November 2010, 07:01 PM
Sehwag v Gayle is a no contest really. Sehwag is way ahead.

yaaru adhiga dhooram six adikkaradhunnu potti vacha venaa Gayle win pannuvaapla. I can't think of anybody else who can hit the ball so far. Even powerful guys like Symonds normally hit it flat so it won't go that far. Gayle adikkira oru sila 6-kellaam 8 kudukkalaamngaradhu ennoda karuthu.

:exactly:

Sehwag is the most Destructive Batsmen :notworthy:

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 07:14 PM
idhu ipdiyE continue Agi, oru nAL Jayawardene 400 adichAlum Achariyapadaradhukilla.

இந்த ஆட்டத்திலேயே அடித்தாலும் ஆச்சர்யபடுவதற்கில்லை. 300 வரை உங்கள் ஆட்டத்திறமை மற்றும் பந்து வீச்சை பொறுத்தது. ஆனால் 300க்குப் பின் ஆட்டக்காரரின் ஆட்டத்தை விட மனநிலையை சார்ந்தே இருக்கிறது. சாதனையை தகர்க்க முயன்று தோற்றவர்களின் பட்டியல் நீண்டு கொண்டே போகிறது. :)

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 07:43 PM
2 times triple hunfred
D.Bradman
B.Lara
V.Sehwag

2 Robots and 2 Humans.....
Repetition and Innovation..... :wink:

raajarasigan
16th November 2010, 07:45 PM
idhu ipdiyE continue Agi, oru nAL Jayawardene 400 adichAlum Achariyapadaradhukilla.

இந்த ஆட்டத்திலேயே அடித்தாலும் ஆச்சர்யபடுவதற்கில்லை. 300 வரை உங்கள் ஆட்டத்திறமை மற்றும் பந்து வீச்சை பொறுத்தது. ஆனால் 300க்குப் பின் ஆட்டக்காரரின் ஆட்டத்தை விட மனநிலையை சார்ந்தே இருக்கிறது. சாதனையை தகர்க்க முயன்று தோற்றவர்களின் பட்டியல் நீண்டு கொண்டே போகிறது. :)it depends on the match situation as well!!

Being a Lara fan, I still feel Lara's 400* was a bit selfish to reach the landmark... in that match, they scored 700 odd runs...he could have easily declared and pushed for a win (he was the captain)...

as a batsman, I still admire that innings... another beauty in that innings is, he did NOT give a single chance (no life) in that whole epic 400*...

Thirumaran
16th November 2010, 07:52 PM
2 times triple hunfred
D.Bradman
B.Lara
V.Sehwag

just 4 info...
viru - 83 matches 54+ avg with 82+ s/r. more consistent+more destructive...ramal thambi
na sehwag bettera gayle betteranu comparelam pannala...destruction mattumdhan sonnen..consistency pathilam na sollave illiye

Sehwag and Gayle along with Bradman and Lara.. seththu poana pitch layum niraya life moolamaa adikiravangala yaen legends like Bradman and Lara voada saerkanum :x

Bala (Karthik)
16th November 2010, 07:55 PM
Steve,
Gayle and flair? Sherwin Cambell had flair (and the West Indian flourish in the back-lift) but Gayle? Of course, destructive and all but.......

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 07:55 PM
it depends on the match situation as well!!

Being a Lara fan, I still feel Lara's 400* was a bit selfish to reach the landmark... in that match, they scored 700 odd runs...he could have easily declared and pushed for a win (he was the captain)...

as a batsman, I still admire that innings... another beauty in that innings is, he did NOT give a single chance (no life) in that whole epic 400*...

That innings was already interrupted by rain many times. In fact, almost a day has been lost if you calculate the no. of overs were bowled. WI had no firepower in their bowling. Because of the tiredness, England might have got all out in their first innings. But in the second innings I think WI bowlers toiled for more than 130 overs and still got only five wickets. Had Lara declared the innings earlier the match, I am sure that the match would have been ended in a draw.

Lara's most reliable partner in all of his biggest knocks ranging from 277 to 501* was RAIN. Nothing else. He could have scored 3 triple hundreds but for Carl Hooper's silly call.

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 08:02 PM
Steve,
Gayle and flair? Sherwin Cambell had flair (and the West Indian flourish in the back-lift) but Gayle? Of course, destructive and all but.......

Roy Fredericks, Greenidge(RH), Lloyd all played similar to Gayle but they played shots neatly because of their footwork. Further, they were good drivers of the ball. I accept that Gayle is not a good driver of the ball. In fact, he is bludgeoning the ball. But his cut, pull, one legged pull and hook shots has carribean stamp. :)

steveaustin
16th November 2010, 08:09 PM
Sehwag and Gayle along with Bradman and Lara.. Karumam.. seththu poana pitch layum niraya life moolamaa adikiravangala yaen legends like Bradman and Lara voada saerkanum :x

After watching Youtube videos, I cannot digest his batting style. :x

Bradman viLaiyaduradhai pArthu irukkeengalA? neenga pAththuttu vENumnA sollunga. Further Bradman has never played outside Australia and England.

Tendulkar, Lara, Richards(Both Viv and Barry), Gower and Botham always in different League.

Thirumaran
16th November 2010, 08:21 PM
Sehwag and Gayle along with Bradman and Lara.. Karumam.. seththu poana pitch layum niraya life moolamaa adikiravangala yaen legends like Bradman and Lara voada saerkanum :x

Bradman viLaiyaduradhai pArthu irukkeengalA? neenga pAththuttu vENumnA sollunga. Further Bradman has never played outside Australia and England.

ithenna kathayaa irukku.. Konjam paer Karuna va Kamaraj irukira list la saerthuduraanga..atha thatti kaetta Kamaraj thamizh vasanam paesi kaetirukeengalaannu kaekura maathiri maathiri irukku.. :huh:

Tendulkar, Lara, Richards(Both Viv and Barry), Gower and Botham always in different League.

eppadiyo neengalum Sehwag and Gayle va legends kooda saerkurathu nyaayam illainnu solliteenga.. Good :boo:

Bala (Karthik)
16th November 2010, 08:25 PM
I think Gayle's style is too "rigid" for a Caribbean playa... anyway...

Bradman viLaiyaduradhai pArthu irukkeengalA? neenga pAththuttu vENumnA sollunga.

Nalla velai naan mattum dhaan nu nenachen :lol:
Andha kaalathu stroke-play style manasula otta maattengudhu...

Vivasaayi
16th November 2010, 08:36 PM

gayle batting : oru thee kuchiya kaila vechu kosu otura maadhiri kaiya suthuraan

shewag : rajni's right side seeing...left side slapping maadhri.....konjam kicku jaasthi

shewag is arrogant than Gayle in his battng...I am reminded of a match where he hit a slapping four at the end of the day and started walking off, removing his gloves, even before the umpire signalled stumps...or is it even before the ball reached the boundary :) ..andha attitude..

:clap:

Sourav
16th November 2010, 08:52 PM
Sehwag and Gayle along with Bradman and Lara.. Karumam.. seththu poana pitch layum niraya life moolamaa adikiravangala yaen legends like Bradman and Lara voada saerkanum :x i dunno who compared viru with lara & bradman here... 300 adichalum viru avanga range-ku illaingrathukkaka antha record list-la add panna koodathunnu solreengala?!
unga sachin kooda than flat pitches-la neraya centuries adichirukkappula... r u ready to dismiss those centuries from his list?? atahiyum kanaukkulala serthu thane 100 round panreenga... flat pitches-la than evlo matches nadakkuthu, avlo easy-na etthanai peru 300 adichirukkanga?! and viru has scored centuries almost in every country.... not only in flat tracks... wat else he has to prove?!

talking abt life see this two 300s...
http://www.espncricinfo.com/indvrsa/engine/match/332911.html?batsman=7781;innings=2;view=commentary

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64081.html?batsman=7781;innings=1;view=commentary

tel me wer he got life? summa pesanumnu yetha vena pesa koodathu... apdiye life koduthalum enna? athukkappuram thirumbha adichu thane runs edukkuranga...illa summa koduthiruvangala... as puli mentioned drop catches and bad umpiring decisions r there in every matches, wat matter is the batsman has to make use of that chance!

and again, ungalukku pudikkaingarathukkaka dont try to belittle one's achievement by saying unacceptable things!

Vivasaayi
16th November 2010, 08:56 PM

adhu avar thappillayee....in his period he is miles ahead of his peers...how many batsman after him dominated the game like him as a batsman and were undeniably called as the best batsman of his era while batting...

style : considering the period the game was played at - it looked really good..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENsx6564dxo - look at the first two shots...looks so contemporary.. :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9QMJ_RkZaU - little nudge towards leg side, the cut, the pull..looks very very good..

there is something similar to sachin's style there... :)

Thirumaran
16th November 2010, 09:01 PM
sourav,
why tension :roll: naanum sehwag fan thaan 8-)

Maniraj
16th November 2010, 09:03 PM
Sehwag and Gayle along with Bradman and Lara.. Karumam.. seththu poana pitch layum niraya life moolamaa adikiravangala yaen legends like Bradman and Lara voada saerkanum :x i dunno who compared viru with lara & bradman here... 300 adichalum viru avanga range-ku illaingrathukkaka antha record list-la add panna koodathunnu solreengala?!
unga sachin kooda than flat pitches-la neraya centuries adichirukkappula... r u ready to dismiss those centuries from his list?? atahiyum kanaukkulala serthu thane 100 round panreenga... flat pitches-la than evlo matches nadakkuthu, avlo easy-na etthanai peru 300 adichirukkanga?! and viru has scored centuries almost in every country.... not only in flat tracks... wat else he has to prove?!

talking abt life see this two 300s...
http://www.espncricinfo.com/indvrsa/engine/match/332911.html?batsman=7781;innings=2;view=commentary

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64081.html?batsman=7781;innings=1;view=commentary

tel me wer he got life? summa pesanumnu yetha vena pesa koodathu... apdiye life koduthalum enna? athukkappuram thirumbha adichu thane runs edukkuranga...illa summa koduthiruvangala... as puli mentioned drop catches and bad umpiring decisions r there in every matches, wat matter is the batsman has to make use of that chance!

and again, ungalukku pudikkaingarathukkaka dont try to belittle one's achievement by saying unacceptable things!

:cool2: Well said :P

Maniraj
16th November 2010, 09:05 PM
sourav,

Karumam.. seththu poana pitch layum niraya life moolamaa adikiravangala yaen legends like Bradman and Lara voada saerkanum :x

:huh:

Thirumaran
16th November 2010, 09:10 PM
sourav,

seththu poana pitch layum niraya life moolamaa adikiravangala yaen legends like Bradman and Lara voada saerkanum :x

naan Anushkaa fan thaan..athukaaga yaaraachum Anushkaa looks good when she acts in homely characters nnu silmishamaa sonnaa atha appadiyae yaethukka mudiyumaa :huh:

P_R
16th November 2010, 09:18 PM
Are Bradman matches available to watch?
I have only seen silapala cliffings.

Bradman, Headley, Hobbs ellAm sollakELvi dhaan.

For that matter Farry RichardsE I guess only some first class matches videos are available.

Maniraj
16th November 2010, 09:23 PM
sourav,

Karumam.. seththu poana pitch layum niraya life moolamaa adikiravangala yaen legends like Bradman and Lara voada saerkanum :x

naan Anushkaa fan thaan..athukaaga yaaraachum Anushkaa looks good when she acts in homely characters nnu silmishamaa sonnaa atha appadiyae yaethukka mudiyumaa :huh:

Atharku ithu bathil ilayae... :roll:

The discussion is abt life.. :D (niraya life moolamaa adikiravangala)

littlemaster1982
16th November 2010, 09:50 PM
There is a heavy discussion going on about Bradman's supposed superiority in a cricket forum I frequent. Some of the arguments are quite convincing that Bradman is not the greatest batsman ever played.

sathya_1979
16th November 2010, 09:52 PM
Ling pls master

P_R
16th November 2010, 09:52 PM
There is a heavy discussion going on about Bradman's supposed superiority in a cricket forum I frequent. Some of the arguments are quite convincing that Bradman is not the greatest batsman ever played.
aindhu varigaLukku migaamal surukki kooRavum.

enna dhaan kandeese(n), opposisan-nu sonnAlum lead dissance remba adhigamA irukku.

sathya_1979
16th November 2010, 09:53 PM
I have read few articles where Ponsford and Mccabe are rated better.
Download of Bodyline TV Series to begin :D

littlemaster1982
16th November 2010, 09:56 PM
aindhu varigaLukku migaamal surukki kooRavum.

enna dhaan kandeese(n), opposisan-nu sonnAlum lead dissance remba adhigamA irukku.

Neengale sonnalum ennala aindhu varigalukku mela ezhudha mudiyadhu :lol: The main argument is, Bradmnan>>>>peers shouldn't be extrapolated to Bradman>>>>all the batsmen across eras.

sathya_1979
16th November 2010, 10:01 PM
Master PM that diskasen forum ling

P_R
16th November 2010, 10:07 PM
Anyway, I am reluctant to make many intertemporal comparisons because large part of my opinions have less to do with analyses but to do with overall pleasure of watching.

Sevak..enakku mudhallellAm suthamA pudikkAdhu. The 'avan appidithaan' understanding developed only gradually. ColorkaNNaadi Gayle-Oda comparison unselected.

Gayle-E unselected for his thiruvaai malarndharuLal about test cricket.

Movie Cop
17th November 2010, 10:20 AM
nalla velai... indhe Kiris GaEl thambi, namma Sobers, Lara-vodE individual scores-uhh thaandalai. :sigh2:

innemEl bEtting avArEge increase pannanumna - Siri Langa thein poganum pOla irrukku! :lol2:

Plum
17th November 2010, 12:02 PM
Anyway, I am reluctant to make many intertemporal comparisons because large part of my opinions have less to do with analyses but to do with overall pleasure of watching.

Sevak..enakku mudhallellAm suthamA pudikkAdhu. The 'avan appidithaan' understanding developed only gradually. ColorkaNNaadi Gayle-Oda comparison unselected.

Gayle-E unselected for his thiruvaai malarndharuLal about test cricket.

Frabhu Rau,

That was an irritated response to the English media crowd. I dont think he meant that - namma Hub-la argument heat-la opponent-ai irritate paNNa outrageous statement solRA mAdhiri.
If he really didnt value test cricket, he wont toil in the heat two days for a triple hundred, would he?
Sometimes, you need to go beyond words and statements. This is a case of walking the walk but not talking the talk, which is quite the opposite of English standards.

P_R
17th November 2010, 12:20 PM
That was an irritated response to the English media crowd. I dont think he meant that - namma Hub-la argument heat-la opponent-ai irritate paNNa outrageous statement solRA mAdhiri.noted for feecher yees :lol2:
If he really didnt value test cricket, he wont toil in the heat two days for a triple hundred, would he? gaaji

Landing up a day before a test series is not becoming of a captain. That's all.

steveaustin
17th November 2010, 04:41 PM
enakku Bradman-nu sonna udanE ninaivukku varuvadhu idhu thAn.. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIYASrNlbv0)

ajithfederer
18th November 2010, 01:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t_2-nbi3p0&list=ULisP_PlNeUnI&playnext=1

Lance Klusener 5 wickets vs Australia MCG 97/98

Kirsten, Gibbs, Klusener,Kallis, McMillan, Cronje, Pollock, Dave Richardson, Donald, Rhodes and Symcox.

'kkali idhu Idhu team. :smokesmirk: