PDA

View Full Version : What was the Last Ilaiyaraja song you listened to? - Part 2.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Sureshs65
12th March 2010, 01:38 AM
Raj,

'ee neelimathan' is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij4cEQhPIHU

'bul bul maine' : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kbcUQqrIDg

'kiliye kiliye' : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ2GFhRKBHg&feature=related

Bala (Karthik)
12th March 2010, 01:51 AM
"Devanin Koil" - Aruvadai Naal
"Thaamarai Kodi" - Aruvadai Naal
"Edheya Baagilu" - Suryakaanthi

Bala (Karthik)
12th March 2010, 01:54 AM
"Composer's Breath" - Nothing But Wind
Peace

rajkumarc
12th March 2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks a lot Suresh and Raagadeva for the links and the movie information.

raagadeva
12th March 2010, 12:16 PM
Punniyavathi....................Melamaasi / Aalum Velum. sung by IR and KSC

IR starts this as pure folk and transforms beautifully to melody....

Another movie..only Audio was released during 1997 or 1998.

sorry ..i cud not find the link for that song in internet...

raagadeva
12th March 2010, 12:27 PM
yes I got it..here is the link to lsiten punniyavathi songs..

http://www.smashits.com/music/tamil/songs/26269/punniyavathi.html

tvsankar
12th March 2010, 12:37 PM
RD,
Punniyavathi is a nice album.

thanks for the lilnks.

Alam poovu - Folk Songs with Guitar - Raaja is Great........

raagadeva
12th March 2010, 01:03 PM
Kannathal - maalai veyil azhagi...

good melody..normally in tamil films when the song is abt god..it would be energitic...by using urumi melam..etc.. this song is so melody....

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00268.html

Sanjeevi
12th March 2010, 03:29 PM
I was dying to listen these songs right from its release. They never released audio cassette (i think, at least at that time and outside of chennai). I only know how many time I have searched this album in music stores. I have never seen this art film like 'Kutti' and have only listened its songs very few times in TV channels போனால் போகுதுன்னு சில தடவைகள் போட்டு இருக்கிறார்கள்.

Somehow I instanly liked all the songs and Chinna Maharanai may be my most favourite now because I have girl child. hayyo inbam. The charanams are chanceless. 'bavatharini haters will like song' Poo arumbuthu is another fantastic one. Thangachi Thangachi Enge Pora, I am running out of words because i am not able to get out of the stunning post lude.

Listen here (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00316.html)

Sureshs65
12th March 2010, 03:35 PM
Sanjeevi,

Which songs are you talking about? :think:

Sanjeevi
12th March 2010, 03:45 PM
Sanjeevi,

Which songs are you talking about? :think:

Sorry I missed the link now i have added :)

raagadeva
12th March 2010, 04:11 PM
Sanjeevi,

audio of Kutti was not released.........I searched like anything in all around chennai.

Another album is mumbai express..audio cds were not released for tamil version.

Another album is vishwa thulasi...audio were not released..(even though i know IR not composed the music..i was searching this album also )

raagas
12th March 2010, 05:59 PM
Another album is vishwa thulasi...audio were not released..(even though i know IR not composed the music..i was searching this album also )

Vishwa Thulasi audio was released. I bought the tape (no idea about the cds though). And Ilaiyaraaja did compose few tracks in the album.

tvsankar
12th March 2010, 08:30 PM
Endhan kannil - Sri devi and kamal....
wat a nice pair.......

Great composition.. Sweet picturisation......

I love this Sri devi very much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lREZH0MHgas&feature=related

app_engine
12th March 2010, 09:01 PM

அதாவது மூ.ஆ.மு ஸ்ரீதேவி:-) Kamal is smart looking as well, with bell-bottom suite, step-cut hair etc :-)

This pair is so lovable in movies of that time period (guru, sigappu rOjAkkaL, kalyANa rAman, meeNdum kOkilA...) and IR was inspired to provide some of his best ever scores to this combo (regardless of the producer / director).

'endhan kaNNil' often plays on my car on repeat for the whole commute, one of the most mesmerising orchestral scores ever, accompanied by a freaky SJ! I owe a lot to Raja just for the first interlude and the bass-guitar culmination before the saraNam starts!

Sureshs65
12th March 2010, 10:47 PM
Sanjeevi,

Thanks for pointing to the 'Kutti' songs. I am enjoying them. Trust this man to give such quality music to even movies which are low key and probably don't have a chance of getting released.

irir123
13th March 2010, 03:42 AM
"Devi devi" from 'dharmam vellum' - that unique polyphonic percussion sound (used in songs like this - another example is "subhalekha" from 'thangamalai thirudan') is something IMHO, IR invented and post the mid-1990s, has completely shunned the use of the same, preferring the less-desirable synthetic sound :huh:

venkkiram
13th March 2010, 08:34 AM

அதாவது மூ.ஆ.மு ஸ்ரீதேவி:-) Kamal is smart looking as well, with bell-bottom suite, step-cut hair etc :-)

This pair is so lovable in movies of that time period (guru, sigappu rOjAkkaL, kalyANa rAman, meeNdum kOkilA...) and IR was inspired to provide some of his best ever scores to this combo (regardless of the producer / director).

'endhan kaNNil' often plays on my car on repeat for the whole commute, one of the most mesmerising orchestral scores ever, accompanied by a freaky SJ! I owe a lot to Raja just for the first interlude and the bass-guitar culmination before the saraNam starts!

எங்களையும் சேர்த்துக்கொள்ளுங்கள்.. இந்தப் பாட்டு ஒவ்வொரு முறை காரில் ஒலித்து முடியும் போது, தன்னிச்சையாக இன்னொரு முறையும் ஒலிக்கச் செய்வோம்.

ஜெய் எழுதிய "ரெக்கக் கட்டி பறக்குதடா" பாடல் ஒரு வித போதை என்றால், "எந்தன் கண்ணில்" வேறு வகையான போதை.

raagadeva
13th March 2010, 10:49 AM
salangaiyil oru Sangeetham - un vedhanai is song which gives you into to all classical dances and Raja used appropriate instruments.

this is one of the song which was not on the hit parade like other songs of this movie.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00576.html

tvsankar
13th March 2010, 11:21 AM
app,
Thanks for the description....

Mooku Operationku Munnadi Sridevi - adhu matum illai......

Innocent face.... idhuvum oru azhagu dhan Ivaruku.

North ponadhum, oru artificial expression vandhuduthu....
mooku... edhuuvum Nama Sri Devi ilali.hheehee..

tvsankar
13th March 2010, 11:22 AM
irir123,

Thangamalai thirudan - Subelekha

link thara mudiyuma...

Devi devi -= idhu dhan first time.. no idea about this song....

neraiya time kaekanam......... think so......

tvsankar
13th March 2010, 11:24 AM
venkiram,
rekkai katti, endhan kannil

bodhai - hmm... idhukum list potudalam... Raaja paatai.......

tvsankar
13th March 2010, 11:26 AM
RD,
Thanks for the mentioning.

kandu kolla padadha padal..

Excellent no. Paatin style il - kandu pidithu vidalam... endha type dance ai solla porar nu...

without the help of the lyric, we could find the dance's type.

Idhu dhan Raaja...

raagadeva
13th March 2010, 11:47 AM
Usha,

when you put list songs for bothai...ella paattim vanthirum..... :)

raagadeva
13th March 2010, 11:51 AM
Vasaliley Poosanipoo from shenbagame shenbagame is my todays pick for repeat.......

Starting music itself IR take us into the depth of the song.....

SPB and SJ - gives meaning to each and every word which they sings..

tvsankar
13th March 2010, 11:52 AM
Usha,

when you put list songs for bothai...ella paattim vanthirum..... :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - Nejam dhan RD....

raagadeva
13th March 2010, 12:08 PM
Good Folk....samanja pulla from kummi paattu.

normally, Raja use arun mozhi always for melody.. this song I can say because arun mozhi it became as melody fold...

good to hear ..try it out.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00313.html

Sureshs65
13th March 2010, 10:02 PM
'saada mada pechukellam' from 'Karagatakari'

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00276.html

Absolutely underrated album. Once again thanks to RS who introduced me to this album.

This particular song, 'saadamada pechukellam' is a wonderful fusion song, though it plays out completely as a folk song. We were recently discussing about 'rekka katti parakkudu' from Valmiki. In this song also you see the same spirit but in a very melodious way. The very start tells you that Raja is in elements. The drums mingling with tavil and the shenoy providing the melody. Vijay Jesudas starts it well and the tavil takes off after he sings the first line. Manjari, straight on your face voice, with lack of modulation, works very well here. The first interlude has the shenoy and flute but the important thing to note here is the bass which plays counter to these two instruments. The charanams are a delight with the rhythm changing every two lines and the drums, tavil and tabla playing seamlessly together. The second interlude again has the flute playing wonderfully and the shenoy joining in. How is it possible for this man to pack so much music in an interlude which lasts less than one minute? For us it takes a lifetime to understand what he has done!!

tvsankar
13th March 2010, 11:04 PM
Suresh,
Very nice description....

you Described our Raaja very nicely

" How is it possible for this man to pack so much music in an interlude which lasts less than one minute? For us it takes a lifetime to understand what he has done!! "

Very Very Very Very Very Very TRUE.........

elalm sari.. enna ragam idhu........

tvsankar
13th March 2010, 11:05 PM
Bhagya Devatha - adi thira - paatu madhiri thoaradhae.......

is there any unique factors.......

karatoram moonglil kaadu - nyabagam varudhae...

Sureshs65
13th March 2010, 11:32 PM
Usha,

'sadamada' seems to be Mohan Kalyani. 'adi thiradanil' is Kalyani. Maybe that is why the similarity.

venkkiram
14th March 2010, 06:41 AM
உதய காலமே நனைந்த மேகமே (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00480.html)
மொழியின் கதவு திறந்தது
விழியில் விடியல் புலர்ந்தது
அமுதம் பொழிந்து விளைந்த தமிழில்
புலமை பிறந்தது!

படம் : பஞ்சமி (1983)

சுசிலாவின் குரலில் எனது காலைப்பொழுது சில நாட்கள் விடிந்திருக்கிறது இந்தப் பாடலின் மூலம். இப்போதும், அதிகாலைகளில் காரில் சுற்றுலா செல்ல நேரிடும் போது, வழக்கமா கேட்கக்கூடிய பாடல்களில் இதுவும் ஒன்று.

raagadeva
14th March 2010, 10:12 AM
படம்: உடன்ப்பிறப்பு
வெளியான ஆண்டு: 1992
பாடல்: சோழர் குல குந்தவை
பாடியவர்கள்: இளையரஜா, பாலா

இவர்கள் இருவரும் பாடும்பொழுது பாடல் மிகவும் உற்சாகமாக இருக்கும்...இந்த பாடலும் இதற்க்கு விதிவிலக்கு அல்ல...

raagadeva
14th March 2010, 10:25 AM
Nandhavana Ther - Viralil Suruthi Meetta vaa...

this is very good semi classical song and well sung by KSC.

Fate of this Song: song was available only on the audio cassettes and not on CD...Now I am having the one which I converted from video cd...looking for good quality of this song....

Like these many treasures did not reach public properly............

Sureshs65
14th March 2010, 03:54 PM
Venki,

'udhayakalame' is a lovely song. Been a while since I heard this.

RD: 'chozha kula' is a lovely song. It seems to be a perfection definition of a ghazal!! The whole feel of the melody is like that of a ghazal. Never heard this song before. Thanks for introducing me to this song.

And thanks even more for the 'viralil sruthi' song. Again one of those 'kannamuuchi' tricks of Raja wrt the raga. The start seems to be Todi ragam (or is it Dhenuka?) The song per se borders between these ragas and Sindhu Bhairavi. Someone with good swara knowledge can clarify which raga this is. Maybe I should post this in the ROS thread.

raagadeva
14th March 2010, 08:03 PM
Another Mesmerizing song from Raja......Again from Nandhavana Ther....

Song: Enna varam...
Singers: Mano and SJ

What a class composition...hear the beats used in this song its unique and i believe Raja never used this beat any of his other song earlier or later...

this song is again would more delightful when you hear it on walkman.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00412.html

என்னுடைய தூக்கதை கெடுத்த பல பாடல்களில் இதுவும் ஒன்று

raagadeva
14th March 2010, 08:07 PM
Suresh,

actually, In film its (Nandhavana Ther - Viralil) a short song but in cassette, its a bit lengthiest song and the length of the song was around 6 plus min.

Hmmm..........

venkkiram
15th March 2010, 01:39 AM
நினைக்காத நேரமில்லை (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00632.html)
உன்னை நினைக்காத நேரமில்லை

படம் : தங்கக்கிளி (1993)

ஜானகியின் குரலில் அருமையான மெலடி.

venkkiram
15th March 2010, 01:50 AM
காத்திருந்த மல்லி மல்லி (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00337.html)

படம் : மல்லு வேட்டி மைனர் (1992)

சுசிலாவின் குரலுக்கே உள்ள மகிமை என்னெவென்றால், பாடலில் இவர் தான் முன்னே செல்வார், வாத்தியக்கருவிகள் எல்லாம் இவருக்குப் பின்னே தான். அப்படியொரு ஆளுமை மிக்க குரல்.

raagadeva
15th March 2010, 08:48 AM
படம்: பகலில் பவுர்ணமி
ஆண்டு:1990
பாடல்: மனமே அவன் வாழும் கோயில்

ராஜா அவர் ஆன்மவை கரைய விட்டிருக்கிரார், நான் என்னை முழுவதுமாக பலமுறை இழந்த பாடல். இது ராஜாவின் தனிப்பாடல் தொகுப்பில் வந்திருக்க வேண்டிய பாடல் வழி தவறி திரைப்பட பாடல் தொகுப்பில் வந்திருகிறது

பாடல் வரிகள் தெளிவாக ராஜா எழுதிய பாடல் என்று உணர்துகின்றன....

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00477.html

raagadeva
15th March 2010, 09:13 AM
Film: Nilavey Mugam Kaattu
Song" Pookaatru Bhoomi engum
Singers: IR & SPB

whenever SPB joins with IR for singing...it is very evident that both of them are singing with very much energy....this song gives freshness in our energy when we listen.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00426.html

Sureshs65
15th March 2010, 11:27 AM
RD and Venki,

You guys are doing a great job, keeping it coming very fast. Thanks for these wonderful songs. So many gems still hidden.

'enna varam' is based on 'Panthuvarali'. If you sing this song it can slowly morph into 'raojavai talatum thendral'!!! The same ragam. Used in a slow tempo very effectively by Raja. The female singer is not Janaki.

'Ninaikatha Neramillai' song, sung very effectively by S Janaki, is a lovely number based on Kalyani. The 'Pagalil Pournami' song is also based on Kalyani and whenever Raja bases a devotional song in Kalyani, it turns out to be outstanding. 'Janani Janani', 'Namasivaya Vazhga' part in Tiruvasagam, 'enakul' in 'Amma Paamalai' are a few examples.

'kathirunda malli' is a typical Raja song wherein he teases his listeners. Some time back raagas and I had a discussion on this song, neither of us able to figure out how Raja changes the ragams within the song!! But that doesn't matter. The song per se is a very nice one.

raagas
15th March 2010, 04:59 PM
I listened to Enna Varum in 1995-96 only and was totally entranced by its interludes and orchestration. Amazing work. I still revisit it often.

raagas
15th March 2010, 05:04 PM
'kathirunda malli' is a typical Raja song wherein he teases his listeners. Some time back raagas and I had a discussion on this song, neither of us able to figure out how Raja changes the ragams within the song!! But that doesn't matter. The song per se is a very nice one.

The song is usually categorized under Amritavarshini, by many Raaja fans. But it is not pure Amritavarshini. it just starts there and thats it.

Me and a very close friend of mine, discussed this song and this is what he wrote to me finally:

"Your suspicions of Amritavarshini are true to an extent because the arohana of the raga is exactly like Amritavarshini. Avarohana is the same too EXCEPT for the use of shuddha Rishabham (R1).

Now, coming to why this raga sounds like a single unit instead of two distinct ragas. It is simply because both the ragas that it should have sounded like are 1) very very familiar to us and 2) very close themselves except for a few notes (which enables this apparent unified structure). The two ragas are Amritavarshini and Pantuvarali (our kamavardhini). Pantuvarali is S R1 G3 M2 P D1 N3 S. If you remove R1 and D1 it is nothing but Amritavarshini. However, Amritavarshini doesn't have lot of gamakas but Pantuvarali has quite a few in Karnatik way of singing. Infact, Ponni is a derivative of Pantuvarali where in the avarohana the D1 is removed, but the R1 is retained. The genius of IR is in the fact that, he could create that distinct contour of this raga as different from both Pantuvarali and Amritavarshini so that even someone who is decently familiar with ragas can actually tell that it is neither Amritavarshini nor Pantuvarali."

tvsankar
15th March 2010, 06:23 PM
Ipodhenna thevai - Amrithavarshini - Vel sollitar.

kathindha malli - Amrithavarshini......

indha madhiri 2 paatai - compare panni, ezhudhina

Raaja paatai patri - inum therindhu kollalam.........

raagas
15th March 2010, 06:50 PM
Ushagaaru,

Even Ippodhenna is not pure Amritavarshini. He mixed Kalyani I think. The raaga bhaavam of Amritavarshini doesnt completely manifest, like it does in "Thoongatha Vizhigal". But its a fantastic composition. I think Ilaiyaraaja's pure amritavarshinis are:

1.Vaanin Devi Varuga (Oruvaar Vaazhum Aalayam)
2. A short song by Yesudas in Sri Raghavendra.
3. Thoongatha Vizhigal
4. Neelalohita (a song co-composed by IR along with his Guru Dakshina Murthy, for Malayalam film Kaveri)

Other than these, I observed that Ilaiyaraaja hums an Aalap in "Naan Enbathu" (Soorasamharam) in 1st interlude. I think this aalap is in Amritavarshini, although the song is in Kalyani.

Sureshs65
15th March 2010, 10:08 PM
I haven't heard 'ippodenna' earlier. Heard it just now. I would go with raagas on this. The pallavi is definitely Amrithavarshini. The majority of the charanam leans towards Kalyani. I say 'leans towards' since very carefully Raja restraints the melody to the lower half of the scale. If he were to go higher he has to clearly show if it is Kalyani or Amrithavarshini. In the later half of the charanam Amrithavarshini comes in. I would say this is one more 'master's mix'.

As usual, let me conclude by saying, 'whatever be the ragam, this is a lovely song' :)

tvsankar
15th March 2010, 10:23 PM
ragaas,
Thanks for the details.

Simple writings. Great infos. Thank you once again raagas.

naan enbadhu aalap - yes. But did not notice the song in this way........

Ipodhenna - kalyani ya..... hmmm

sari.Will listen to understand the kalyani poriton in this song...

Sweet home work from you . ....

tvsankar
15th March 2010, 10:25 PM
suresh,
epavum solveengalae...

"This is the first time..":
solradhu dhanae.... :D

P_R
15th March 2010, 10:40 PM
poththi vachcha malligai mottu
naanE naanA yaarO dhaanA
malligaiyE malligaiyE thoodhaaga pO
pOttA padiyudhu
kaNNan vandhu paaduginRaan
maanE thEnE kattippudi
aattamA thErOttamA

ajithfederer
16th March 2010, 12:15 AM
Shenbagame shenbagame - both m/f versions.

ajithfederer
16th March 2010, 12:33 AM
இவள் ஒரு இளங்குருவி - பிரம்மா (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CztV3oi4aGc)

:clap:

app_engine
16th March 2010, 12:34 AM

There're two female versions (The Asha B version is pathos, there's another too)

ajithfederer
16th March 2010, 12:39 AM
Happy version than.

There're two female versions (The Asha B version is pathos, there's another too)

app_engine
16th March 2010, 12:44 AM
AF:-)

My fav is Ashaji's. Superb score by IR, especially the interludes are something to live for!

crvenky
16th March 2010, 10:28 AM
Themmangu Pattukkaran (1997) is another under-recognized album of Raja. It has two beautiful songs Kaveri aaru and Namma manasu.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00650.html

Sureshs65
16th March 2010, 10:49 AM
Venky,

Thanks for the 'themmangu paadtukaran' link. I loved 'kaveri aaru' song. Another amazing Brindavana Saranga / Madhyamavathi from Raja. 'namma manasu' is superb as well. For some reason these were totally missed by me though I was in Chennai during that time.

raagadeva
16th March 2010, 11:28 AM
En Iniya Pon Nilavae - Thalirgalil Pookkal

This is another album in the combination of Balu mahendra and Raja. Only audio cassettes were released (1995 or 1996) and nothing happened beyond that. if my memory is not bad, it was acted by Pandiyarajan.

This song is sung by KJJ and when you hear the song, you can find that this is a typical situation song in balu mahendra where hero and heroine walks together.....

raagadeva
16th March 2010, 11:28 AM
En Iniya Pon Nilavae - Thalirgalil Pookkal

This is another album in the combination of Balu mahendra and Raja. Only audio cassettes were released (1995 or 1996) and nothing happened beyond that. if my memory is not bad, it was acted by Pandiyarajan.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00134.html

This song is sung by KJJ and when you hear the song, you can find that this is a typical situation song in balu mahendra where hero and heroine walks together.....

tvsankar
16th March 2010, 12:09 PM
RD,
Indha padam songs - En manasu - Raaja music ilai nu solludhae..

jeevan missing.. tats all...

eera vizhi kavyiyangal and one song from another film - En ganam indru arangerum

idhil ellam - Character and feelings - correct a irukumae...

Thalir - onum sari iladha madhiri riuake......

En manasu IR composition ilai nu solradhu...............

tvsankar
16th March 2010, 05:10 PM
crv,
Thanks for Themmangu paatukaran...

Sweet finding..........

Suresh, thanks for the raga info.

Enaku pidicha Raajas's Madhyamavathi, Brindhavana Saranga..

wat a mesmerising composition ..........

IRoda Madhyamavathi and Brindhavana Saanga are always great to me..................

Sureshs65
16th March 2010, 05:58 PM
RD,

I will probably go with Usha reg the 'en iniya pon nilave' songs. I too am not sure if this is by Raja. One, sometimes the accompanying music is too loud. Never happens with Raja. Second, there seems to be a lack of precision that I associate with Raja. (Is this a 1995 album. By the sound of it, it sounds like 1980s to me.)

The 'poo vendume' song has a more Salilda touch to it. The way the violins play and accompany the song reminds me more of Salilda than Raja. Even the tune reminds me of Salilda.

Maybe I am wrong but somehow this album, though the songs are nice, doesn't sound Raja.

raagadeva
16th March 2010, 07:52 PM
Suresh and Usha,

as per cessete cover details its from Balu mahendra and Raja acted by pandiyarajan. I am 100% sure that cassette was released during1995 and I remember the song of thalirgalil but not remember others.

But do not know any other info on the movie apart from the above information. Only balu mahendra and IR can confirm that its their product or not.

P_R
16th March 2010, 08:01 PM
yeh pAkku koNdA veththalai koNdA from Sakkarai thEvan - on loop 'mbAingaLE

Violent song. :clap:

raagadeva
16th March 2010, 08:03 PM
This is another movie which was not released but audio cds were released.

Film:Naalai Engal Kalyanam.

This is also released during 1995 and i was under impression that this is a remake from malayalam as the songs giving the flavour of raja's malayalam songs.

I did not find this album in Malayalam..if any body has the the details pls share it for me.

Lets come to songs...

1. Nilavae Nilathil Irangi vaa.. good duet from SPB & Chitra.

2. Odam Ottum Oradakaranae - KJJ - soothfull song

3. Vaanam Bhoomi - MG srikumar. I likes ealier days srikumar so this song also in my fav.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00390.html

raagadeva
16th March 2010, 08:15 PM
PR,

Paakku konda is a dam good song which will come under the below list. whenever I listen this song, automatically it will go for repeat mode.

When you hear this song, you will be feel very much energetic.

in continuation with Paakku I used to listen the following songs...

Devathai - Andam Kidu Kidunga
Periya marudhu - Poontheril Yeri Varum (this is one of the different album which stands unique and cannot compare with regular films album)

I would like to share more on Periya Marudhu as I touched it..

1. Aalamara Veru - Introduction song soft kutthu with different voice (I believe he is brother of deepan chakravarthy, forgot his name)

2. Poonu velaiura - Chitra starts with very melody then IR change the song to different environment get an pakka thiruvizha mood.

3. Vidala Pulla- One the best from swarnalatha..

4. Singarama - I believe sung by Minmini...good melody with soft musics.

5. Poontheril - You can feel the same effect of paakku Konda..

6. Ellorukkum - Nice short song (just now realized this is similar as odam ottum but slow tempo)

7. Aasanukku vandhanam - mano, chitra again on thiruvizha background..

No idea on the movie..after hearing these songs I was looking for the dvd/VCD to watch it re recording...cud not get the one.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00488.html

Over all, Migavum mann vaasanaiyana padalgal.

P_R
16th March 2010, 08:35 PM
:ty: raagadeva

raagadevan
16th March 2010, 10:30 PM
All these songs are new to me! Never heard them before.
Thank you for the links :)

jaiganes
16th March 2010, 11:14 PM

periya marudhu was produced by Sangili murugan and had Vijaykanth acting with Ranjitha.

jaiganes
16th March 2010, 11:36 PM
Desiya geetham.
One of the underrated album of Raasa.
I find all the songs in the movie to be very good and fitting the movie I saw like a glove.
Particularly En Kanavinak kel nanbaa and Naan vaakkappattu poga pora are master pieces.
Particularly the sujatha's song is absolutely spell binding and yet simple.

The stunner is 'Yaengidum ezhayin kookural' sung by KJY.
Absolute breathtaker this song - the interludes are rocking stuff.

This album is gonna be on my loop for a while.
for folks complaining about the lyrics of Raaja albums - the words cant be better - not even one word out of place and music plays second fiddle to the lyrics which are simple and effective.

raagadevan
17th March 2010, 12:12 AM
ஏங்கிடும் ஏழையின் கூக்குரல்:

http://www.dishant.com/jukebox.php?songid=57738

raagadeva
17th March 2010, 12:22 AM
Jagans,

you can feel the freshness in Naan Vakka pattu song..sujatha adds good energy in to that song...

especially, when sujata starts sing the line, thullum kuthala kaathu....one violin piece.....wov..............................

:ty: . I can say this is un noticed album as the film was not done well at box office. same thing was happened to mayakannadi.

rajkumarc
17th March 2010, 01:27 AM
Jagans,
especially, when sujata starts sing the line, thullum kuthala kaathu....one violin piece.....wov..............................

That's my favorite part too :D

I posted about this song in the 1990s thread earlier
Naan Vakkapattu Poga Pora from Desiya Geetham (this song is mainly synth driven, but in the pallavi when the line goes "thullum kuthala kaathu", there comes a string section out of nowhere, it just feels a like a whiff of fresh air on your face. A lovely song sung beautifully by Sujatha).

It's a song with amazing orchestration throughout, the interludes are fantastic. I love Sujatha's voice always, it's like Uma Ramanan in the sense that all of her songs for IR are simply great.

Jai - Desiya Geetham is probably the only Cheran movie I liked especially for it's unique theme. IMO, it's way better than Autograph or any of the new stuff from him in which he acted. I watched the movie way back in 1999. Have you seen the movie recently? There are some powerful scenes (Nagesh's death in the riots and the kidnapping of the CM). I can't recollect the BGM score but it was really impressive from what I can remember vaguely.

raagas
17th March 2010, 12:25 PM
RD,

I will probably go with Usha reg the 'en iniya pon nilave' songs. I too am not sure if this is by Raja. One, sometimes the accompanying music is too loud. Never happens with Raja. Second, there seems to be a lack of precision that I associate with Raja. (Is this a 1995 album. By the sound of it, it sounds like 1980s to me.)

The 'poo vendume' song has a more Salilda touch to it. The way the violins play and accompany the song reminds me more of Salilda than Raja. Even the tune reminds me of Salilda.

Maybe I am wrong but somehow this album, though the songs are nice, doesn't sound Raja.

Suresh,

Listen to the 2nd interlude in "Thalirkal Pookkal". I smell so much of Raaja there. Counterpoint and stuff. and breaking suddenly into flute (at high notes). its his signature. Either its him, or somebody has learnt forgery :)

raagas
17th March 2010, 02:56 PM
Themmangu Pattukkaran (1997) is another under-recognized album of Raja. It has two beautiful songs Kaveri aaru and Namma manasu.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00650.html

Beautiful compositions. Namma Manasu is such a nice work. The string orchestra is outstanding.. It is not an exaggeration to say that Ilaiyaraaja has elevated our tastes, when it comes to string orchestra. This song is an example. Phenomenal.

crvenky
17th March 2010, 06:40 PM
Durga Durga from Priyanka:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00518.html

அந்த காளியையே நேரில் பார்த்த உணர்வு.

raagadeva
17th March 2010, 10:43 PM
Film: Pondatti Thevai.
Song: yaaradi Naan
Singer : IR

Good to hear and it shows that IR likes to sing song like this when compare to sad songs...
this film has other good songs like Enathu Ragam and Arrariro (these songs are also my fav because it was sung by Arun mozhi)

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00497.html

There is another version of Yaaradi..listen that too...you can see the diff as how IR is differentiate botht eh songs.

Sanjeevi
17th March 2010, 11:12 PM
Dhesiya Geetham is indeed the best album of Cheran movies. I bought original Cassette and listened even after the cassette cried to not use it. My fav is Naan vakkappattu and En kanavinai Kel Nanba, top class songs.

Sanjeevi
17th March 2010, 11:22 PM
Thanks raagadeva for remembering Pondati Devai songs. I remember this film it was quit good attempt by Ra. Parthipan :) and the songs are good.

<non-music alert>
There was a talk during those days. Aan Paavam was the first film of Seetha and Pandiyarajan loved Seetha and took next film with title 'Manaivi Redi'. Years after, his sishyan Parthiban did a thumbing start in TFM in Puthiya paathai with Seetha, then he titled his next film 'Pondati thevai'. and... :)
</>

raagadeva
17th March 2010, 11:23 PM
Album: Annanukku Jey
Songs...: All Songs..
singers: extensive use of MV and SPB.

By looking the lyrics..i believe this is GA's Movie or from IR's own banner.

1. Ponnumani Kannumani - wonderful duet from SPB and Chitra

2. Annanukku Jey- wov...SPB......understands IR 100% and deliver the 200% output. one of the best alambal song of SPB

3. Solai Illankuyile - well sung by MV with Chitra

4. Enakkoru Magan - Slightly classic touch and best of SPB...

5. Chokkanukku Vaachcha - sung by Chitra and Umaramanan...I think this is the only combo from uma and chitra. I feeling some similarity with thenn madurai cheemailey song..

Oriental Records had released only the above songs in their cd..but I am seeing 2 more songs the below links..

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00050.html

crvenky
18th March 2010, 10:23 AM
Amma naan from Pondatti Thevai is another good alambal song in Parthiban's style. MV's voice matches perfectly for Parthiban.

Plum
18th March 2010, 12:01 PM
Great posts on nAn vAkkapattu - especially the observation on the violins behind thuLLum kuthAla kAthu - you'll feel the gentle breeze caressing your cheeks with those violins, and the orchestration in general builds the ambience beautifully - to date, there is no one who can invoke a village in western ghats like him. Ofcourse, he was born there and absorbed that soil so no surprises there.

One of the other aspects about the song is there is an inherent melancholy, the reason being that the nice, tasteful imagery the heroine invokes is not real - it is her fantasy, and they are actually walking a few miles to get a pot of water(daily routine), as is the case with rural india even today in many places hence her fantasy that she'll get married off at a village surrounded by coconut groves, greenery serviced by bountiful rivers and resulting in caressing, gentle breeze that soothes your nerves. This melancholy drives through the song but is very mild as befitting the situation where the heroine is lost deep in the fantasy and the melancholy is mild enough to represent the alert sub-conscience rooted in reality.

Plum
18th March 2010, 12:03 PM
One thing I find is that usually posts such as my last post are usually found in praise of lyrics - that the lyrics tell the story in one line quoted. Only in the case of Raja will you find that multiple threads of the story and characterisation find a place in the orchestration and the music telling the story - and this perhaps was the primary problem poets and lyricists had with him. He was simply eating into their territory and rendering them irrelevant. In that sense, he is the Kannadasan of Tamil Film Music

tvsankar
18th March 2010, 01:57 PM
Iru kanavugal - Nizhal thedum nenjangal

Different compostiion of IR..........

STrong and Sweet sound quality from the instruments.......

SJ and Deepan Chakravarthy.......

Sureshs65
18th March 2010, 02:43 PM
Plum,

That is a very nice observation about Raja telling the story through music. One reason I am not satisfied with lot of others is that they let the lyrics tell most of it, as you mentioned.

Very true about his comparison to Kannadasan.

AravindMano
18th March 2010, 04:05 PM
A set of Malayalam songs on repeat mode.

PonveyililE (Oru Yathra Mozhi) - Impeccable melody and lovely voilins.

Thannannam Thaanannam (Yatra) - Yet another delightful "kids" song. Use of trumphets in the second lude is lovely.

ThaamarakkiLi paadunu (MooNaam pakkam) - Simple and stunning.

PookaatinOdum kiLigaLodum (Poomukhapadiyil Ninneyum Kathu) - No one has mastered the art of making a melody more than this man :D

Sureshs65
18th March 2010, 05:02 PM
Aravind,

'Thamarakili' was one song M G Sreekumar spoke about in one TV program. He said he was there during the creation of the song and wondered how Raja could get the whole pallavi in just one go. If you observe the pallavi, it is very intricate and has multiple ideas. (Some other MDs would have made two or three songs out of the pallavi itself :) ) M G Sreekumar concluded by saying this come only to a person to whom God has gifted something more than others. He also said that once the tune came out of Raja it just did not require any change, either from Raja, from the singers, for the musicians or from the director. It was perfect in every sense.

Every song you quoted is a gem. None of these songs can be heard without going into the repeat atleast a few times :) The same happens with 'rithu bedha kaplana', 'alliyilam poovo', 'poovai virinju', 'konji karayalle' and many more Malayalam songs :D

Sureshs65
18th March 2010, 05:06 PM

This is where I got confused!!! Until I read in another thread that raagdeva and raagdevan were two different people and two different ids. Didn't notice it earlier and wondering why raagadevan was thanking himself for the links!! :oops:

AravindMano
18th March 2010, 05:32 PM
Aravind,

'Thamarakili' was one song M G Sreekumar spoke about in one TV program. He said he was there during the creation of the song and wondered how Raja could get the whole pallavi in just one go. If you observe the pallavi, it is very intricate and has multiple ideas. (Some other MDs would have made two or three songs out of the pallavi itself :) ) M G Sreekumar concluded by saying this come only to a person to whom God has gifted something more than others. He also said that once the tune came out of Raja it just did not require any change, either from Raja, from the singers, for the musicians or from the director. It was perfect in every sense.

Every song you quoted is a gem. None of these songs can be heard without going into the repeat atleast a few times :) The same happens with 'rithu bedha kaplana', 'alliyilam poovo', 'poovai virinju', 'konji karayalle' and many more Malayalam songs :D

Completely agree with every word Sureshji.

The "oru vazhi iru vazhi pala vazhi piriyum" line in that song is kinda magical. It comes just once in the whole song and keeps me longing for it. :)

raagas
18th March 2010, 07:20 PM
This is where I got confused!!! Until I read in another thread that raagdeva and raagdevan were two different people and two different ids. Didn't notice it earlier and wondering why raagadevan was thanking himself for the links!! :oops:

One of them should sacrifice and change their name :) otherwise we will keep getting confused :)

Plum
18th March 2010, 08:12 PM
I return to 70's like a child does to its mother's laps (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2066679#2066679)

Truly, that is what his 70's music is to me. Yes, unlike certain IR fans of that age, I dont stop at 70's and have countless favourites and pleasures from his subsequent output. But it is the 70's ditties that offer the warmth of being a 5 year old kid on her mother's laps.
(and not becausee of nostalgia because these are songs I havent heard in childhood - just there is something in the music that has, for eternity, captured that 70's moment and ambience in a capsule - such that even when I visit it in 2010, there is something in it that harks me back to that ambience. Which is unique because usually this sort of thing happens only because you heard these songs in childhood, and your memory has associated them with that moment unlike here, wherein I heard this song only in the 2000s for a first time.Only Raja can paint a soundscape and a timescape, thus.)
I havent seen the picturisation, but I can fairly say that the ambience is of a lower middle class household weighed down by the pressures of a frugal existence. I hope someone can throw more light.

sugamO aayiram from thuNai iruppAL mInakshi

Excerpts from that post

The brief is to cajole, soothen and comfort a distressed husban, pointing out the immeasurable pleasures of the small moments of domestic life, the inevitability of the difficulty of samsara bandhanam, and how happiness can be maximised if one focusses on the little pleasures.
The starting vINA piece sums up the situation in a jiffy, and that is why IR is the Kannadasan of Tamil Film Music. It used to be said of the poet that he can capture the outline of a movie in a sentence. Raja is the equivalent from a music stand point of the same capability.

The viNa starts of with short notes, as if the wife is raising an enquiring eyebrow at a husband (probably returned from a bad day at office or generally down with the difficulties of their lives), and then proceeds to tease him, as the melody and the intricacy increase, drawing him into the sheer beauty of its art. Then, flute takes over gently and with a sense of comforting, as if to serve him a hot cup of Coffee, that can but be a momentary pleasure, but would add up into the bliss that she is planning to present domestic life as.

I love it when IR is given the brief of painting such intimate soundscapes - he does it in a way only he can making the tune, the instruments, the orchestrations and the frills paint the whole scenario in front of you. The sheer intimacy you feel with the ambience and the situation, then, is unmatched.

Today, amidst my tough day, just mentally playing the song through proved to be the refreshing cup of coffee or that timeless moment with your kid - those small pleasures which cushion you against the surging, irredemable meaninglessness of Life and its pursuits.

Plum
18th March 2010, 08:30 PM
Usha, Can you write more about the situation and the movie? I want to see how much my theory of IR's painting the soundscape is correct.

tvsankar
18th March 2010, 08:31 PM
oh sure... solren.......

tvsankar
18th March 2010, 08:35 PM
Plum wrote:

The brief is to cajole, soothen and comfort a distressed husban, pointing out the immeasurable pleasures of the small moments of domestic life, the inevitability of the difficulty of samsara bandhanam, and how happiness can be maximised if one focusses on the little pleasures.
The starting vINA piece sums up the situation in a jiffy, and that is why IR is the Kannadasan of Tamil Film Music. It used to be said of the poet that he can capture the outline of a movie in a sentence. Raja is the equivalent from a music stand point of the same capability.

ipadi solli irukeengalae... Ellam correct.
Music la feel panna vechara Raaja.....

indha scene - sandhoshama irukar apo, konjama kashtam vara apo, oru aarudhala than
indha paatai paduvanga Sujatha.......

tvsankar
18th March 2010, 08:38 PM
Sujatha - ivanga endha madhiri wife nu
namaku oru arimugam madhiri .......

oridnary middle class husband and wife with their kids.....

music ai gavaninga... adhanala dhan indha simplicity...

avanga characters madhiiri...

indha padathula oru song - duet song
for some other pair...

Setril oru sengazhani - idhu rich a irukara , villge guy and girl - but city la padikranga..

ivangaluku duet idhu..
adhu Grand a irukum....

tvsankar
18th March 2010, 08:41 PM
Quote:

The viNa starts of with short notes, as if the wife is raising an enquiring eyebrow at a husband (probably returned from a bad day at office or generally down with the difficulties of their lives), and then proceeds to tease him, as the melody and the intricacy increase, drawing him into the sheer beauty of its art. Then, flute takes over gently and with a sense of comforting, as if to serve him a hot cup of Coffee, that can but be a momentary pleasure, but would add up into the bliss that she is planning to present domestic life as.

All your words are true plum..

idhu dhan picturisation of the song...

Music sollidhudha idhai ellam..................

tvsankar
18th March 2010, 08:43 PM
Today, amidst my tough day, just mentally playing the song through proved to be the refreshing cup of coffee or that timeless moment with your kid - those small pleasures which cushion you against the surging, irredemable meaninglessness of Life and its pursuits.

indha madhiri oru feelings ku inum oru nalla paatu iruku plum... adhaiyum kelunga...

"Veenai meetum kaigalae" by SJ........

tvsankar
18th March 2010, 08:50 PM
Sugamo aayiram - - Lyrics...

idhai kaetal podhum...

ipodhu kalyanam seidhu kollum pengaluku, veru councelling kandipa vendam...

Woman - Naturallly she has the motherhood.

adhai husband idam kaatinal podhum....

indha paatin isiaiyum, kavidhai variyum, idhai than unartharadhu....

idhai than neengalum soli irukeenga plum.............

vaazhkai endral
adhil naalum undu
andha vatathilae oru thittam undu

idharku than ethanai arhtam solla muidyum...

Husband in salary - podhavilali - idhai ninaika kudadhu..........
plan panni, simple a kudihtanam panninal,
No kashtam no pulambifying........

thittam - for thanikudithanam... No....

thittam - for naan dhan kashta padaraen.. No..........

valarndhalum
kuraindhalum
Nilavondru Oli veesum
adhai kana balam vendum
vilaiyada manam vendum

haaaaa. wat a lyric...

raagadeva
18th March 2010, 09:26 PM
Plum,

thanks for reminding me on Sugamo Aairam.....kandippa intha paataai kettkura sugamo aairathukkum meley

I started to listen this song after reading the letter of IR, he had wrote to one of his fan during 78's and mentioned like below .

Thunai iruppal meenakshi pada paadalgalai meendum oru murai kelungal, 'sugamo aairam' madhiri entha paadalum vara villai. antha paadalukku uriya idam kidaikka villai enbathu en karuthu"

whenever my enthu is going down..i used to listen this song...this will bring me to do my next activity...

what a lyric.......

enai neeyum, unai naanum
unarnthaley athu pothum
athuthaaney panpaadu
athai naalum pan paadu......

I had posted that letter in IR titbits.

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=13913&start=330

Here is the youtube link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3C_JuW4bqs

Mostly I won't watch video of the songs which I likes very much as it might spoil my imagination of the song...but this is good.

Sureshs65
18th March 2010, 11:42 PM
Plum,

A very nice writeup. As usual shamelessly I admit that I haven't this song much. I have probably heard it once or twice.

I envy your ability to map the music to the movie situation and correctly get at what Raja was trying to do for the particular situation. I think I am more like Arjuna. I can only hear the music and while I get the 'feel' of the song, I am always wondering how this man has combined these instruments, how the raga is developing, how the thalam goes etc. I rarely map it to the situation and that is definitely a crime given that Raja basically tunes for the situation and as this song shows he has mastered this aspect right in his early days itself.

Once again, a lovely writeup. Goes on to show in how many ways Raja has impacted people and how many way we can analyze him.

Plum
19th March 2010, 12:34 PM
Plum wrote:

ipadi solli irukeengalae... Ellam correct.
Music la feel panna vechara Raaja.....

indha scene - sandhoshama irukar apo, konjama kashtam vara apo, oru aarudhala than
indha paatai paduvanga Sujatha.......
Lyrics-layum clue irukkunAlum, it is amazing that IR painted the picture of a middle-class household, and the description I gave. Honestly, I dont have an idea about this movie, and that I imagined it exactly as IR/director intended, that is a credit to them, and specifically IR.

Plum
19th March 2010, 12:37 PM
oridnary middle class husband and wife with their kids.....

music ai gavaninga... adhanala dhan indha simplicity...

Usually, we backtrack from the movie situation to the music, and say that "Look, the music complements the movie". All MD fans do this.
This instance proves to me that IR is the only man where the reverse could happen - the music can paint not just the situation and a broad outline of the character, but pinpoint the specific ambience.
:bow: at IR. I feel like thumping my thighs and challenging the World "ipdi isai amaikka evandA irukkInga"

Technicalities evaluate paNNinA, IR will be compared with many jaambavans in IFM but indha emotion-characterisation vishayathula, adichikka AL illai.

Plum
19th March 2010, 12:38 PM
Quote:

All your words are true plum..

idhu dhan picturisation of the song...

Music sollidhudha idhai ellam..................
Absolutely, Yes, it does. I just imagined this based on the music alone. evLO :bow: pOdaradhu? evLO pOttalum pOdhadhu

Plum
19th March 2010, 12:40 PM

indha madhiri oru feelings ku inum oru nalla paatu iruku plum... adhaiyum kelunga...

"Veenai meetum kaigalae" by SJ........

One of my favourites Usha. Another one for S Janaki detractors.

Plum
19th March 2010, 12:41 PM
Sugamo aayiram - - Lyrics...

idhai kaetal podhum...

ipodhu kalyanam seidhu kollum pengaluku, veru councelling kandipa vendam...

Woman - Naturallly she has the motherhood.

adhai husband idam kaatinal podhum....

indha paatin isiaiyum, kavidhai variyum, idhai than unartharadhu....

idhai than neengalum soli irukeenga plum.............

vaazhkai endral
adhil naalum undu
andha vatathilae oru thittam undu

idharku than ethanai arhtam solla muidyum...

Husband in salary - podhavilali - idhai ninaika kudadhu..........
plan panni, simple a kudihtanam panninal,
No kashtam no pulambifying........

thittam - for thanikudithanam... No....

thittam - for naan dhan kashta padaraen.. No..........

valarndhalum
kuraindhalum
Nilavondru Oli veesum
adhai kana balam vendum
vilaiyada manam vendum

haaaaa. wat a lyric...

Again, wonderful post Usha. Those lyrics, very simple and of not much poetic value, are very apt, though. The bolded part is a beautiful thought.

Plum
19th March 2010, 12:44 PM
Plum,

thanks for reminding me on Sugamo Aairam.....kandippa intha paataai kettkura sugamo aairathukkum meley

I started to listen this song after reading the letter of IR, he had wrote to one of his fan during 78's and mentioned like below .

Thunai iruppal meenakshi pada paadalgalai meendum oru murai kelungal, 'sugamo aairam' madhiri entha paadalum vara villai. antha paadalukku uriya idam kidaikka villai enbathu en karuthu"

whenever my enthu is going down..i used to listen this song...this will bring me to do my next activity...

what a lyric.......

enai neeyum, unai naanum
unarnthaley athu pothum
athuthaaney panpaadu
athai naalum pan paadu......

I had posted that letter in IR titbits.

http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=13913&start=330

Here is the youtube link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3C_JuW4bqs

Mostly I won't watch video of the songs which I likes very much as it might spoil my imagination of the song...but this is good.

Hmm... I think he still might not have met anyone who appreciates this song. Why does he end up not meeting such die-hards as us, who can actually appreciate such under-appreciated, and unknown gems, thereby reviving his belief in humanity and reduce his cynicism. On the other hand, avarai pArthA, kai kAllAm vela velathu, pEsa mudiyAdhu. Maybe, he has met die hards, and they have never been able to speak to him on these terms.

Plum
19th March 2010, 12:44 PM
Plum,

A very nice writeup. As usual shamelessly I admit that I haven't this song much. I have probably heard it once or twice.

I envy your ability to map the music to the movie situation and correctly get at what Raja was trying to do for the particular situation. I think I am more like Arjuna. I can only hear the music and while I get the 'feel' of the song, I am always wondering how this man has combined these instruments, how the raga is developing, how the thalam goes etc. I rarely map it to the situation and that is definitely a crime given that Raja basically tunes for the situation and as this song shows he has mastered this aspect right in his early days itself.

Once again, a lovely writeup. Goes on to show in how many ways Raja has impacted people and how many way we can analyze him.

Suresh, this deserves a separate post - to follow

Plum
19th March 2010, 12:53 PM
Film music can be approached in multiple ways. MSV fans are very technical, in my observation, and they celebrate the man's pioneering of structure, his incomparable wizardry with experiments on Indian classical scales, and the flow of the songs.
Rahman fans talk a lot about the genres he straddles effortlessly, and the instruments from various parts of the world that are used, the voice processing, and the ability to rev-up a frenzy to a collective crowd on various emotions - fun, patriotism and the larger themes.

From my POV, I envy that ability of those fans to focus on the technicalities.

With Raja, ofcourse, my experience has been that we are all blind men trying to make sense of an elephant. I touch the trunk and say it's like a pillar - you touch the ears and say it's like a sieve. Maybe, Raja would laugh at both of us and say "Guys, neither of you got the full import of what I have placed there" :-)

And besides this, there are those who only subscribe to a specific genre of his output - like the Telugu friends who connect with the maNN vaasanai of his Godavari songs but cant do the same with the Mudhal Mariyaadhai songs or his TN graamiya songs. The Chennai elite who will speak eons about Agni N but scoff at Ramarajan songs.

This sort of schism is something I see among Raja fans only - which is why I say he talks to the specific ambience with his music. He can appeal to very specific needs of his wide variety of fans, and make them feel their life experiences and environments. I rarely find a fan of other MDs who classify their idol's output into various such genres and subscribe to specific genres that speak to their heart. It is as if they make general music which would appeal to all but cannot tap that intimate portion of the heart, which can cherish only the most familiar tropes. And the beauty is they dont even realise that.

This realisation is the most awe-inspiring feeling that I have ever had with my Raja appreciation.
It is impossible for non-Raja-fans to appreciate this.

tvsankar
19th March 2010, 03:19 PM
Plum,
Your Description is tooooooooooo nice.

Really You are very Great...... dono about you...

my opiinion about u - You understand the reallity . So you view our Raaja perfectly........

Music Heart of Raaja.... idhai romba nalla solli irukeenga plum........

raagadeva
19th March 2010, 05:02 PM
Hmm... I think he still might not have met anyone who appreciates this song. Why does he end up not meeting such die-hards as us, who can actually appreciate such under-appreciated, and unknown gems, thereby reviving his belief in humanity and reduce his cynicism. On the other hand, avarai pArthA, kai kAllAm vela velathu, pEsa mudiyAdhu. Maybe, he has met die hards, and they have never been able to speak to him on these terms.

Plum,

what you are saying is correct, when we meet him definitely we cann't talk and would be speechless because the feeling what we are keeping with in ourself for the yrs and yrs..will block our speech and tear will come out.

I am sure that IR had gone beyond the level of expecting appreciation in the form of commercial and he is sure abt his outputs are for his fans and they will listen. It reminds me the stmt of IR..yaaru yaarukku enna poi seranum--nnu irukko kandippa poi serum. no one cannot deny that.

Sureshs65
19th March 2010, 05:32 PM
Plum,

The Elephant and the Blind Man was exactly what Usha had told me earlier when we were discussing Raja and I fully agree with that sentiment. Whenever my viewpoint changes and I hear Raja with a new viewpoint I get something new!!! Very rarely does this happen with others. You can see so many high quality blogs like those of Vicky, Raj, Ravi Natarajan etc where different aspects of Raja are dissected and we haven't even scratched the surface.

The other aspect you mention, that of intimate connection, is something which I will vouch for. Whenever I hear Raja of Telugu, he is a different person from the Raja of Malayalam. And this transformation doesn't happen by using the instruments traditional to that area (I mean if you make a Malayalam song use a chenda type of theory.) Even if he is using the most common of instruments like violin and flute, he paints soundscapes which only the people of that particular area can appreciate fully. No wonder there is a division amongst fans as you say. It is indeed difficult to believe that the person who tuned for 'vetti veru vasam' was also the person who tuned, 'mudi mudi' and the person who tuned 'ilamai idho idho' also tunes 'onru kondru', that 'ponmeni urgude' and 'janani janani' originate from the same brain. Can't stop being amazed by this man.

raagas
19th March 2010, 06:02 PM
Plum,

It is indeed difficult to believe that the person who tuned for 'vetti veru vasam' was also the person who tuned, 'mudi mudi' and the person who tuned 'ilamai idho idho' also tunes 'onru kondru', that 'ponmeni urgude' and 'janani janani' originate from the same brain. Can't stop being amazed by this man.

Thats why I often tell most of my friends that - Ilaiyaraaja is India's best kept secret.

app_engine
19th March 2010, 06:13 PM
raagadeva,

Did you see the name(s) on the envelope of Raja's hand-written letters to his fans?

tvsankar :-)

I believe those boys are brother and husband of our hubber, Usha Sankar :-)

raagadeva
19th March 2010, 06:25 PM
raagadeva,

Did you see the name(s) on the envelope of Raja's hand-written letters to his fans?

tvsankar :-)

I believe those boys are brother and husband of our hubber, Usha Sankar :-)

I noticed but not thought like u...This letter I am keeping it as part of my IR treasures. :D

Plum
19th March 2010, 06:57 PM
Plum,
Your Description is tooooooooooo nice.

Really You are very Great...... dono about you...

my opiinion about u - You understand the reallity . So you view our Raaja perfectly........

Music Heart of Raaja.... idhai romba nalla solli irukeenga plum........

Great is Raja-nga. I am a mere consumer avLO dhAn

tvsankar
19th March 2010, 09:29 PM
app,
Thanks for the mentioning......

Ennoda Sankar dhan. indha T.V.Sankar dhan - IR ku ipadi letter potadhu.......

Andha naalai ennal maraka mudiyadhu..

En annavum, Sankarum ennidam solli kondu, indha kadithathai kaatiyadhaiyum..

(naan namabvae ilai.IR ae ezhudhinar endru.
letter ai kaatinargal.
letter parthadhum - Raaja sir Hand writing mel pasam vandhuduthu.
Evvalavu azhaga irukum parunga... Raaja voda hand writings.)

apoadhu ninaithum parkavillai. Ipadi oru Computer Technolgy varum...
Ellarukum Share seivum endru.....(Engaludanae irundhu maraindhu pogum.. ipadi than ninathu konden....)

Thanks to the Technology.........

jaiganes
19th March 2010, 09:32 PM
Does Raaja have an email id?

tvsankar
19th March 2010, 09:57 PM
Muthama - Azhagar malai

idhu dhan first time. enna oru kuthu...

Sweet and Soft Kuthu..... Guitar illadha kutha ...............

gavanika pada vendiya paatu.

Rekka katti parakuthu paatu madhiri.....

app_engine
19th March 2010, 10:01 PM
Muthama - Azhagar malai

Nice tablA / bass work.

Both the singers irritate, however :-(

tvsankar
19th March 2010, 10:48 PM
Muthama - Azhagar malai

Nice tablA / bass work.

Both the singers irritate, however :-(

ipadi pazhicha enna solradhu.....

New singers style ai accept pannikanam app. otherwise
vayasaradhu nu artham..... vera vazhiyae ilai...... :(

app_engine
19th March 2010, 11:30 PM

:lol: அவங்க ஸ்டைலை ஒத்துக்கிட்டாலும் இல்லாட்டியும் வயசு ஆயிருச்சு தானே :-)

However, you may recall that I've placed Shreya G along with SJ / PS / KSC in my hall of fame. She's also from this group. Also, I like certain others like Sadhana S (pAttuchcholli one of my all-time fav), manjari (kaiyeththA kombaththu another favourite) besides the two ladies who sang for pA (Shilpa / Sunithi). Even the female voice for karugumaNi is tolerable (despite her horrendous pronunciation in oLi tharum sooriyan of vAlmeeki).

Actually, despite her limitations, I've enjoyed some songs by even BhavadhArini who sings like one from our family :-)

See, I'm not all that biased against new singers :-)

jaiganes
20th March 2010, 12:21 AM

:lol: அவங்க ஸ்டைலை ஒத்துக்கிட்டாலும் இல்லாட்டியும் வயசு ஆயிருச்சு தானே :-)

However, you may recall that I've placed Shreya G along with SJ / PS / KSC in my hall of fame. She's also from this group. Also, I like certain others like Sadhana S (pAttuchcholli one of my all-time fav), manjari (kaiyeththA kombaththu another favourite) besides the two ladies who sang for pA (Shilpa / Sunithi). Even the female voice for karugumaNi is tolerable (despite her horrendous pronunciation in oLi tharum sooriyan of vAlmeeki).

Actually, despite her limitations, I've enjoyed some songs by even BhavadhArini who sings like one from our family :-)

See, I'm not all that biased against new singers :-)
I am a big fan of Rahul nambiar - for the way he jives with Raaja.
Add to that Tippu, and KArthik too - they dont seem to be awed by Raaja and raaja too likes giving them some full blooded numbers with phrases they can do justice to.
Trying to search for SPB in them is rather difficult..
on a side note, relistening to Arre kamali kamali kamali and I feel SP charan should sing more for Raaja. he has got a soft touch that Raja can bring out fully.
Vijay Yesudas and Madhu too have passed the Raaja Litmus test with good marks .
I mean - Madhu balakrishnan's rendition of 'Piraye Piraye' is goose pimple stuff and Sriram Parthasarathi did rather well with the kannada songs and Uliyin Osai for Raaja.
Considering all this, one can say that Raaja still gets good singers who do a good job and does not rob their originality of their voices by 'working on it' extensively post their singing to leave his stamp on their song -What more a young singer want?

Sureshs65
20th March 2010, 12:34 AM
app, jai

Another guy I would add is Harish Raghavender. A pity he sang only a few songs for Raja. Was listening to songs from "Solla Marantha Kadai". I haven't heard these songs when they were released (My normal kadahai :) ) I find all the youngsters singing in this album have a done a good job. Harish Raghavendar with 'gundu malli gundu malli'. Shreya is good but it is early times when her pronunciation was not as good as now. Harish does a nice job. Karthik does a neat job with 'edho onna nenachirunden'. Who surprised me though was Vijay Yesudas. To follow up Raja in a song is not an easy task. He does that very well in 'Amma sonna aariraro'. Raja sings the first stanza a bit softly and Vijay blends in very well in the second stanza. A lovely album overall.

I too like Rahul Nambiyar's songs for Raja in recent times. 'swapnangal kannezhudiya' and the song from 'Prem Kahani' are good. The one person who has surprised me is Sunidhi Chavan, in Paa and that lovely 'chinna polike ledu prema'. What a rendition by her putting Kunal Ganjawala in the shade!!

jaiganes
20th March 2010, 12:37 AM
http://jointscene.com/movies/kollywood/Pootadha_Pootukkal/8392

One listen to 'Aanandham aanandham' song will listen to brain freeze and relisten will release it. Wonderful song....

I mean listen to the first interlude chorus vocal counterpoints - a tribal feel without one flute or drum beat - who can conceive it and pull it off?
The second interlude is more traditional (per Ilaiyaraaja standards), yet there is a magic in the arrangement of everything - that is a composer's delightful special.
Flawless song - The song writer has given a barebone necessity words, but who put the arteries and veins and nerves and the muscles and bones to make this song a wonderful creature - I salute that creator par excellence.
S.Janaki sings in her matronly balanced manner - underlining the stability of a house in the hands of a devoted female, she works her magic ever so subtly and surely.
This is one film of Mahendran - where he regretted making it. now I am curious to find out where can I see it?

Sureshs65
20th March 2010, 12:37 AM
I agree with Jai regarding Raja not doing much post processing with the voices and we getting to hear the original voices of the singers. That is definitely something good for the singers for they really feel that they have a done a nice job. Else you don't know if they done the nice job or if it is the technology which has done the nice job!!

Two people who Raja introduced and whose first songs were superb and didn't get to work much with Raja are Harish Raghavendar and Mahati. Harish had 'nirpadume nandapadume' and Mahati that amazing, 'enna marandhalum' from 'Kathal Jaadi'. Unfortunately both didn't get to sing much for Raja later.

Sureshs65
20th March 2010, 01:12 AM
Jai,

'Anandam Anandam' is a song I have heard earlier (surprising for me I would say.) but only now listening to the choral counterpoints in the first charanam. Outstanding stuff there. I love the way the tune moves in unexpected ways in the pallavi itself. And the bass guitar in the second interlude and the chorus. This is a song which we must dedicate only for the interludes. Top drawer stuff.

jaiganes
20th March 2010, 01:20 AM
Jai,

'Anandam Anandam' is a song I have heard earlier (surprising for me I would say.) but only now listening to the choral counterpoints in the first charanam. Outstanding stuff there. I love the way the tune moves in unexpected ways in the pallavi itself. And the bass guitar in the second interlude and the chorus. This is a song which we must dedicate only for the interludes. Top drawer stuff.

The tabla rhythm and the tribal drums are very innovatively arranged - it is never simple with Raaja songs - but it sounds simple , till you hear it. Kaettal poachu. ippallaam mildlayum mildaa engeyo oru moolaila 125th trackla record panna rhythm soundaye perumaya pesaraanga - paattoda otta kooda maatengudhu - Inge ennaadaanna oru manushan, indha maadhiri poondhu vilayaadittu silentaa irukkaar-
Raaja Raaja dhaan - yeh jingulaa jik.

Devaraagam
20th March 2010, 04:40 PM
Hi All,

I am back with my New id as there was a confusion.

RaagaDeva becomes Devaraagam.

Devaraagam
20th March 2010, 04:49 PM
Ilayaraagam is an another unnoticed album. which was released during 1994 I believe.

Unnai Naan Serthirukka... beautiful melody and listen the song carefully..music pattern is changing very frequently thorough out the song when compare to other song.

Naan Ondru Kettal Tharuviya....String usage and violin usage is gr8, its perfectly blend with each other and finally rendering by Arun mozhi

Marudhani Chaareduthu.....Sung by Mano and Chitra, Again best usage of chorus through out the song.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00194.html

Devaraagam
20th March 2010, 05:00 PM
apoadhu ninaithum parkavillai. Ipadi oru Computer Technolgy varum...
Ellarukum Share seivum endru.....(Engaludanae irundhu maraindhu pogum.. ipadi than ninathu konden....)

Thanks to the Technology.........

Usha,

I believe like me lot of people are preserving that pdf. even I read that multiple times..I a m thinking of you and shankar, how many time su wud have read it..

Shank
20th March 2010, 08:13 PM
I absolutely love the second interlude of the song "Oh Kalai Kuyilgale" from Unnai Vazhthi Paadugiren. What brilliance!!

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00685.html

ajithfederer
20th March 2010, 09:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXeR3g9MC3k&feature=related

Vaa vaa manjalmalare... song from Rajathi Raja!

Pleasant song. Rajni is eminently handsome.

P_R
21st March 2010, 12:53 AM
aavaaram poo album :musicsmile:

ananth222
21st March 2010, 02:15 AM

Every line of this song is harmonized, but its not clear in the youtube clip. A little better here:
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00556.html
both female and male voice lines were recorded 3 times and combined. Listen carefully for the harmonization. awesome song!

venkkiram
21st March 2010, 04:24 AM
தேர் கொண்டு சென்றவன் யாரென்று சொல்லடி தோழி (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00145.html)

ராஜாவின் இசையில், சுசிலாவின் குரலில் அருமையான பாடல் இது.

ராஜா இசையில் அதுவும் மிருதங்கம் பயன்படுத்தப்பட்ட பாடல்களுக்கு என்றைக்கும் ஒரு தனிச் சிறப்பு.

சுசிலாவின் குரலில் ஒவ்வொரு அடி முடியும் போதும், ஒத்திசைவாக வரும் புல்லாங்குழல் இசையும் மனதை கொள்ளை கொள்ளும்.

jaiganes
21st March 2010, 05:51 AM

late 80s and 90s IRlaam namakku multiplication table maadhiri manappaadam aaiduchu. Ippo edhirpaaradha muththam maadhiri early 80s and late 70s la moozhgi irukkaen.

early 2000s is eye opening to me - even the albums that I didnt give serious listen bloom out like secret lillies to me.
other language excavation seekram aarambikkanum.
Vallalaar sonna maadhiri Kaalamillai , kaalamillai.
niraya irukku thoandi paakka.

crvenky
21st March 2010, 11:07 AM
Kattaya kadhal from Thozhar Pandian - a different type of song (Dharmavathi raga??). In the charanams, melody is slower and the beats are faster.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00665.html

Sureshs65
21st March 2010, 03:39 PM
Venki,

Nice song. Had not heard this before but when I heard it realised that it was the Tamil remake of the Malayalam song 'vaalitezhudiya'. I think it was a duet in Malayalam with Krishnachander singing the male part. A Hamsadhwani based song. One of Raja many Hamsadhwani charmers.

Devaraagam
21st March 2010, 04:34 PM
suresh,

vaalitezhudiya is from which movie?

Sureshs65
21st March 2010, 07:23 PM
DR,

Not sure about the movie. Will check and let you know.

In case you are interested in listening to the song, you can check it out here:

http://www.hummaa.com/music/album/Nostalgia+-+Ilayaraja/27552#

Sureshs65
21st March 2010, 07:24 PM
DR,

Just checked. It is from the movie, "Onnanu Nammal".

Devaraagam
21st March 2010, 07:45 PM
I have the CD but forgot the movie.

Thanks Venkiram, whenever i listen the malayalam version, I used think..same song there in tamil but i cud n't identify it.

thanks Suresh and venkiraam.

tvsankar
21st March 2010, 11:13 PM
Are Kamali kamali .....

Nice Beats......

tvsankar
21st March 2010, 11:23 PM
Muthama look vida vekka - Mano and KSC - Vaasuki

This Raaja surprised me a lot..........

tvsankar
21st March 2010, 11:38 PM
chinna manikaga cherthu vechen paru

- 98 m varusha - chappani.........

venkkiram
22nd March 2010, 09:16 AM
ஆழ கடலில் தேடிய முத்து..பாடலை பற்றிய பார்வை.. (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2070132&highlight=#2070132)

raagas
22nd March 2010, 02:18 PM

Every line of this song is harmonized, but its not clear in the youtube clip. A little better here:
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00556.html
both female and male voice lines were recorded 3 times and combined. Listen carefully for the harmonization. awesome song!

Brilliant composition. One of those songs which leave us perplexed about what exactly ilaiyaraaja has in his brain!!!

raagas
22nd March 2010, 02:31 PM
Kattaya kadhal from Thozhar Pandian - a different type of song (Dharmavathi raga??). In the charanams, melody is slower and the beats are faster.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00665.html

Sounds like Dharmavathi only. Thanks for suggesting this song. Never heard it before. Liked it. Lot of synthesizer chords and all. unusual composition. Because the Dharmavathi has a very peculiar pathos feel, as such. and Ilaiyaraaja cleverly tapped the erotica aspect of the raagam in "Meendum Meendum Vaa". But this one is different from pathos and erotica.

crvenky
22nd March 2010, 06:22 PM
Vizhiyil oru kavidhai padithen - Theertha Karayinile.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00646.html

Please hear it, if you had not. A mesmerizing melody, I think its Desh.

raagas
22nd March 2010, 06:31 PM
ah.. crvenky,

Thanks for reminding me about this song. yes, it is Desh. Beautiful composition. I love the way he used bass guitar. You can almost sense a rhythm in bass guitar. And what an interesting rhythm. The is one continuing rhythm thats like an undercurrent, while the taalam of the song rests on a separate track of rhythm. Some songs of Raaja are really sweet. This is one of them.

Devaraagam
22nd March 2010, 08:45 PM
Venki.

There is another song in Theertha Karaiyiniley called "Kotti Kidakuthu" one of my fav song on nature from IR.

Thanks for you to remind me on this film. now its on loop..I am listening after so many months.

Sureshs65
22nd March 2010, 09:55 PM
'Ulagame Manithanai' from 'Ivan'. Initially I was not too keen on this song but now in loop. The beauty of the song is that it has a complete WCM feel to it but everything is done on the synthesizer. As they say in Tamil, 'vallavanukku pullum ayudham'. Hear how Raja wonderfully brings in the WCM effect using the synthesizer and the very robust tuning for this song. You will think that a full fledged orchestra is accompanying this song but it is only the synth. Very powerful song. Sung well by the singers.

Sanjeevi
22nd March 2010, 11:37 PM
Vizhiyil oru kavidhai padithen - Theertha Karayinile.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00646.html

Please hear it, if you had not. A mesmerizing melody, I think its Desh.

Venki.

There is another song in Theertha Karaiyiniley called "Kotti Kidakuthu" one of my fav song on nature from IR.

Thanks for you to remind me on this film. now its on loop..I am listening after so many months.

:notworthy: wonderful songs :notworthy:

Young K.S.Chithra and young Mano (:thumbsup: for both), they are one of the perfect matches for duets

irir123
23rd March 2010, 08:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_b2rrzT7dU

"Oh prema" from Ashwamedham

WARNING: PLEASE CLOSE YOUR EYES AND LISTEN TO THE SONG, else face the health consequences

thumburu
23rd March 2010, 06:03 PM
Venki.

"kotti kidakkudhu" is a lovely number- Suddhadhanyasi. It is the female equivalent of "punjai undu nanjai undu" , another Suddhadhanyasi from "Unnal mudiyum thambi". Chitra's youthful innocence in the voice adds to the charm. Quite intricate little sangathis could be tricky to sing. Still Chitra comes out with a great elan. "theertha karai orathile" is another nice "subhapanthuvaraLi" by SPB. But my pick is ofcourse the rare "Desh" song "vizhiyil pudhukavidhai"

tvsankar
23rd March 2010, 08:05 PM
PUdhu Roatula dhan - KSJ and KSC - Meera

Snegam - idhai paatin varigal unarthinalum, KSJ paadiyadhil
velipadithinalum,

Raaja's music - Gives a small journey on the road.... it inticates
the night mood. unsafe night..........

The music does not give the friendliness...
I
It reprresents the Heroine. (Wat a Man this Raaja is.....
Ivarai purindhu kondal, Ivarain isiayum niraiya puripadum...

Unardhal - Kadavuluku aduthu - INdha Raajavai than ninaikiren..)

Padum KJY um, lyrics um dhan Friendliness ai unarthum.

Indirectly we could feel the heroine and her expressions........

Really He is Raaja.......

Pl listen in the Headphone. Then only we could have the Feelings of the music............

Devaraagam
23rd March 2010, 08:58 PM
Normally I am crazy abt the song when raja talks on that track..here is the one which is in my frequent listening list.

Film: urangatha Ninaivugal
Song: Mounamey nenjil naalum..

This is sung by KJJ.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00687.html

Devaraagam
23rd March 2010, 09:03 PM
In continuation to the above,

Film: Siraiyil Sila Raagangal
Song:Kaathalukku Paatatharukku

IR talks before song starts and this was available only on the audio cassettes not available in the CD versions.

here is the link and i am not sure this is has cassette version or CD version so providing the dialoges of IR

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00603.html

IR: Ootyley shooting-nnu solli song ketpinga appuram ennadanna ullurley suttu suttu thallirupinga...

tvsankar
23rd March 2010, 09:18 PM
Kadhaluku - idhu dhan first time a kaekaren.

Thanks DR..... Nice no.....

guitar speaks..........really speaks...............

Devaraagam
24th March 2010, 09:53 AM
usha,

when you are here this album 1st time then you can listen kai pidithu and thendral varum. both are good ones.

tvsankar
24th March 2010, 11:10 AM
usha,

when you are here this album 1st time then you can listen kai pidithu and thendral varum. both are good ones.

Dr,
Kai pidichu and thendral varum - nalla iruku...

analum,

Kadhaluku paatedharku - is too sweet..........

Devaraagam
24th March 2010, 08:12 PM
Film: Naanum Oru Indhian
Song Un Kadahalan
Year: 1996/1997.

beautiful melody sung by Unnikrishnan and bhavadharini.

Another song sung by ilaiyaraja from this movie is "chinna chinna ". whenever I listen this song, it remind me the " chinna siriya vanna paravai...." (sivaji song)I do not the reason why? any relation between these 2 songs?

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00399.html

tvsankar
24th March 2010, 08:57 PM
DR,
Thanks for the songs.

REally they have great stuffs.Unnoticed songs they are....

thanks for the mentioning......

chinna chinna - IR voice - memerising......
i love HIS voice....

jaiganes
24th March 2010, 09:16 PM
Right now listening to Ilaiyaraaja collection in lala.com
They have all the legends Ilaiyaraaja collection.

Awesome Kelada from Bharathi - particularly the veenai and thavil and nadhaswaram with typical Raaja orchestra - DIVINE...

Now laughing and freaking out to Enna Paattu paada from Pulamai pithan .

tvsankar
24th March 2010, 09:55 PM
jaiganes,
adhu enna - lala.com...
pl give the address..

(Edho kindala solreenga nu nenachenae... nejamavae lala.com a........... :) )

app_engine
24th March 2010, 10:12 PM
Good find, jaiganesh (ஆமா, இவங்க ராயல்டி கொடுக்கறவங்களா அல்லாதவங்களா? :) )

Usha chechi, yes, it's www.lala.com :-)

You need to register with e-mail ID and can immediately start playing!

tvsankar
24th March 2010, 11:11 PM
Jai and app,
Neenga elalm Nejavamae US la dhan irukeenga.. I believe...

becoz,

lala.com solradhu - US people ku matum dhan nu.......... :lol: :D

tvsankar
24th March 2010, 11:36 PM
Thavikudhu thayangudhu oru manadhu - Nadhiyai thedi vandha kadal

Beautiful composiiton. (Beautiful - indha vaarthaiyku arthamae Raaja's paatuku than.....)

IR's Beats - He is the owner......

IR's Guitar - so sweeeeeeet.....

NIce rendition by PJ and SPS....

Sanjeevi
24th March 2010, 11:38 PM
just curious to know

few days back (in a SPB program?) happened to watch a performance on a song which has lines like

"yaaru potta rodu"

Sounds like an IR's fun number. Can anybody throw lights on this?

Devaraagam
25th March 2010, 12:00 AM
Yaaru potta Rodu is from Chatryan . sung by SJ and Chorus

Sanjeevi
25th March 2010, 12:09 AM
Wov foregot it

Marvelous number want to listen again and again

Devaraagam
25th March 2010, 12:56 AM
(ஆமா, இவங்க ராயல்டி கொடுக்கறவங்களா அல்லாதவங்களா? :) )

app,

ராயல்டியா? அப்பிடினா..அதுதான் இப்போ பிரச்சனை :D listen it without asking any questions.

Sureshs65
25th March 2010, 10:54 AM
Bought a DVD titled 'Enpaatu Enpaatu' which has 50 video songs. All songs sung by Raja. Detractors of Raja's singing must watch this video. It gives an idea of the range that Raja has covered and covered excellently.

Currently listening to 'thol mela thol mela' from 'Poomani'. Lovely song. Wonderfully free flowing tune. The lyricist has done a neat job as well.

Female: 'naan irundhen vaanile megamai
aen vizhundhen bhoomiyil vegamai
Male : vizhdadum nallade
dagamai ulladhe

tvsankar
25th March 2010, 01:44 PM
Raagam - Sindhu biravi ya?

tvsankar
25th March 2010, 01:49 PM
Engae irundhai isaiyae - IR version - Ajantha

Nice no..........

Raaja vin feelings idhu dhano?

Devaraagam
25th March 2010, 09:44 PM
Usha,

couple of songs are there which give u an feeling (not a feeling its true) that IR sings on his feelings and emotions on his music knowledge, his character,

1. Manipoor Maamiyaar - En Rasigane
2. Paglil oru pournami - Manamey

few more songs are there i cud not recollect immediately...

jaiganes
26th March 2010, 01:23 AM
Ela intha dhooram - from Jamadagni.
Wonderful bass lines and a killer out of the world first prelude that can drain listener's breath.
Uber cool janaki mouthing some english inbetween.
Small minus is lack of SPB in the song - The male singer simply pales in front of the genius of Janaki..

I listened to it in Lala - good quality - I donno where we get that quality mp3 elsewhere?

tvsankar
26th March 2010, 01:31 AM
Jaiganes,
i have this song in imp3 format..... :D

idhu - IR music dhana oru doubt engayo varudhae..........

dono the reason........

tvsankar
26th March 2010, 07:26 PM
OOr oora pogum indha udambu - sandya - Kaakai siraginiley

Enna solla..

Unnai vittu veru
engum pogadhu
en Raasavae (certainly...)

PS style il padum oru pudhu padagi ???????????

Voice um young PS madhiri iruku......

Composition - Something Great.. Tats all..

Idhayathai thodaradhu................

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00251.html

Plum
26th March 2010, 07:27 PM
I think the singer is Sandhya, PS's daughter-in-law!
I think she is also PS's niece.

tvsankar
26th March 2010, 07:31 PM
oh.....
thanks for the info plum...

paatai kaetadhum - PS rombavae nyabgam varanga....

Same voice.. same style...........

tvsankar
26th March 2010, 07:33 PM
Engae nee senralum
angum unnai thodarndhu varum en ragam........

kannukullae

guitar, violin and the Flute... from IR's Gardon........

Ethanai piravi edukindrana.................

tvsankar
26th March 2010, 07:38 PM
Yeru pidichavarae - PS and MVD - Karaiyelalm shenbagapoo

Paatu arambikum style - typical Folk flavour..

But,

Unexpected guitar - Idhu RAAJA...

tvsankar
26th March 2010, 07:43 PM
IR - PS combo

Guitar.........

Maanodum padhiayilae
vandharam kandhan

Devaraagam
26th March 2010, 08:00 PM
plum,

is it the same sandya who sung deepangal from Devathai?

why tfm now used her much..she had good voice..

Devaraagam
26th March 2010, 08:07 PM
Engae nee senralum
angum unnai thodarndhu varum en ragam........

this is another song which have the feeling that Ir sings his feelings on pallavi.

This song has beautiful orchestration...u can enjoy more when u lsiten using headphones..

app_engine
26th March 2010, 08:08 PM
Back to HTNI this morning :-)

Do anything on repeat!

WOW!

One need not be classically inclined to enjoy this piece as it has all the ingradients to please an average cine-music lover. That way, any classical-only-musician will find it too difficult to compose such a track.

Throwing in the shenoy in such a flute-violin dominated work seamlessly - mark of a genius who is at ease with north-south-east-west :-) Though this may surprise carnatic fans, for an average TFM lover like me, it sounds "natural" (even on "expected" lines) :-)

The whole track can easily be composed as a song with vocals if someone can write a decent poem to match the melody.

(If I were in my school / college days, I could have easily "bundled together words" that will sound like a poem to match this. Interestingly, I tried to do such a thing this morning and realized how dry / old / unimaginative I've become :-( )

app_engine
26th March 2010, 08:47 PM
அழகிய கண்ணே உறவுகள் நீயே from this blog :

http://muruganmanthiram.blogspot.com/2010/03/blog-post_14.html

The blogger writes :

கே*ட்*பது கா*துகள்* தா*ன்* என்*றா*லும்*...
கண்*களும்* இதயமும்* நனை*யு*ம்* ரா*ஜா*வி*ன்* இசை*யி*ல்*...

Mahendran has done a wonderful job with on-screen stuff as well. If tears don't well up when looking at the young child's close-up in the 3rd stanza, definite 'paththar dhil' !

Sureshs65
26th March 2010, 10:48 PM
Back to HTNI this morning :-)

(If I were in my school / college days, I could have easily "bundled together words" that will sound like a poem to match this. Interestingly, I tried to do such a thing this morning and realized how dry / old / unimaginative I've become :-( )

Why don't you post what you had written. We can then decide if you have become unimaginative or not :) Maybe you are being too critical of yourself :D

app_engine
27th March 2010, 12:39 AM
Sureshji :-)

Actually I didn't write anything as I couldn't even bring up a couple of decent lines in my thought process itself (while driving). One reason could be because I'm far removed from good Thamizh litt for a long many years. Add to this the listening to too much of TFM over the years :-)

As we cannot "rewind" our lives, I may need to wait till "retirement" to think about poem again :-)

jaiganes
27th March 2010, 01:48 AM
Sureshji :-)

Actually I didn't write anything as I couldn't even bring up a couple of decent lines in my thought process itself (while driving). One reason could be because I'm far removed from good Thamizh litt for a long many years. Add to this the listening to too much of TFM over the years :-)

As we cannot "rewind" our lives, I may need to wait till "retirement" to think about poem again :-)
எழுத நினைத்துப் பாதி எழுதிய
குப்பைக்காகித மலையினுள்ளே
சிக்கித்தவித்தது நான் இன்னும்
எழுதாத புதுக்கவிதை.

எங்கேயோ படித்தது.

ajithfederer
27th March 2010, 03:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfvMM8tGaaw

Adadadaa enna paatu :clap:.

Sureshs65
27th March 2010, 11:14 AM
app,

Please check your PM.

af: 'ilankathu'. Lovely song.

app_engine
27th March 2010, 06:09 PM
கட்ட வண்டி கட்ட வண்டி காப்பாத்த வந்தவன்டி :-)

Few more lines on this in the 'freaky-looney songs' thread :-)

tvsankar
27th March 2010, 09:45 PM
IR music - vera enna solla mudiyum........

FLute, Guitar and the Violin........... haaaaaa

wat a different sounds came from HIM.........

am very Big MAD for His Flute........

sweet keyboard also......

Naan sonnal kelama - Mano and SJ...

Nice Rendition by them..........

Devaraagam
27th March 2010, 10:56 PM
who said IR done symphony in 90's? he had done lot during 80's itself in tamil film..

Nenjey un Aasai from naan potta savaal..kettu paarunga..

what a composition and the instuments used...when you hear this song at night..you won't sleep because you would be very brisk... :musicsmile:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00394.html

we can daily morning listen this song....

still i can't imagine..how this kind of music was possible during 80's

tvsankar
28th March 2010, 04:46 PM
Aadi pattam thedi - MMKR

beautiful Preludes. Especilaly the great Flute...

Majestic violin..........

Flute - idhu Aagaythil irundhu konjam konjma yerangi, Land agi.,,

Enna solla indha azhagai.........

Guitar and Flute - they have a Great understanding in HIS music........

Excellent Rendition by Mano and KSC......

Sweet Chorus......

Flute is the Hero, Heroine ellam..................

app_engine
28th March 2010, 06:20 PM
ஓ தென்றலே இனி நாளும் பாட வா (நெஞ்சத்தைக்கிள்ளாதே)

என்ன அருமையான பாடல்!

ராசாவிடமிருந்து சொஃபஸ்டிகேடட் பாடல்கள் வாங்குவதற்கு இரண்டு மகேந்திரர்களுக்கும் போட்டி இருந்திருக்கும் என்றே தோன்றுகிறது :-) என்னுடைய மற்ற அனுமானத்தின் படி, ஒரு படத்தில் பிரதாப் இருக்கார் என்று சொன்னாலே ராசா எக்ஸ்ட்ரா பாலிஷ் போட்டு விடுவார் என்றும் தோன்றுகிறது!

கித்தாரும், குழலும், கோரஸும் கொஞ்சும் சுசீலா பாடல்!

tvsankar
28th March 2010, 06:42 PM
IR's Carnatic ,

IR's Classical dance....

idai oru pHD seiyanam........

Cinemathanam illadha oru isaiyaga , perfect aga irukum.........

inum solla ponal,

Original classical songs il kuda - time (seconds or minutes) control ilali.........

hahahhaha

IR's Classical songs - Perfect one.........

tvsankar
28th March 2010, 06:48 PM
Pon Megalai and Ivan - Very Excellent album of Raaja

1. Unai thedum - Bombay jayashree

dono the ragam.........

But rare one..

Nice one..........

tvsankar
28th March 2010, 06:54 PM
Veena vanai -

thnk of this IR.........

Miruthangam - ivarukum notes - ivaroda style ill...

this player - nichayam enjoy panni irupar.......

Violin - missing - kadhaiyil edho irukanam... think so.......

tvsankar
28th March 2010, 07:00 PM
Ivan

kozhandhai azhugai - nejamana azhugai.

Kannan nee en isai nadham

start agum style....

Enna oru gavanamana compositiion.......

Raaja's Carnatic songs - always amazing to me........

sudha Raghunadhan - Nalla padi irupanga.........

tvsankar
28th March 2010, 07:07 PM
Yenai enna seidhai.

indha paatuku - Raj in details about the Raagam style...

Excelllent write up.. ( enaku onum theiryadhu.. Indha jenmathil andha luck ilai enaku....)

Rajendra
Ennai Enna Seithaai..
Hi Sreejith,

'Ennai enna seithaai' is another marvel from the eighth wonder!

Subbudu-the knowledgeable critic- remarked that this was the best ever carnatic composition in Films.

The song starts in Simhendra Madhyamam, the 57th Melakartha.
It continues in this ragam until 2.54(gangai pole) and changes to Latangi, the 63rd melakartha.Being 6 melams away from Simhendra Madhyamam, the uttarangam(ma pa dha ni Sa) remains the same and only the variant of 'ga' changes in the poorvangam.

It changes from 3.41(thoongum..).The beauty here is that (mecha)Kalyani is the 65th Melakartha and it is the variant of 'dha' that makes it different from Latangi.But he uses only 5 swaras in the arohanam with the Avarohanam being complete and there we have Mohana Kalyani.

We then hear pure Hindolam from 4.02(Vanna Malarundu..).

What happens from 4.33 is what makes him a musician nonpareil!
The Raga is Ragavardhani, the vivadi mela.It is the 32nd melakartha and is 12 melas away from Nata Bhairavi which in turn is the mother of Hindolam(the uttaranga of Nata Bhairavi and Ragavardhini are the same!)

While swaras were 'subtracted' in the previous section(Latangi to Mohana Kalyani),swaras have been added here(Hindolam to Ragavardhini).

Latangi comes back from 4.49, but the violin replies in Amritavarshini from 4.54.Amritavarshini is a pentatonic raga that has sa ga3 ma2 pa ni3,swaras that are part of Latangi (though technically it is derived from Chitrambari, the 66th melakartha).

As if this is not enough, we then get to hear Chandrakauns, a close relative of Hindolam.Chandrakauns has ni3 while Hindolam has ni2.

Finally, it goes back to Simhendra Madhyamam.

Cauvery and its tributaries!

After all, is not his music a clear beautiful stream?

tvsankar
28th March 2010, 07:12 PM
http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Community?cmm=46219149

Lovely community for IR......

tvsankar
28th March 2010, 07:24 PM
Indha IR dhan
aramba kalathil
ipadiyum compose panni iurkar.

Engum Niraindha - Idhu epadi iruku

Hanuting tune...........

my favourite Flute.....

IR's Guitar.........

Violin.........

KSJ and SJ - Very Nice rendition........

tvsankar
28th March 2010, 07:27 PM
Naan Azhaikiren - Achaani - PS

first timae kaetadhum - Shock....

PS ku ipadi paata nu....
hahahahha

but - the song is in Her Hand....

This is Raaja.........

raghavendran
29th March 2010, 11:57 AM
it was "o butterfly" from meera...gr8 song...s.p.b :clap: :clap:

Sureshs65
29th March 2010, 04:15 PM
'Azahagaga Sirithadhu' from 'December Pookal'. As usual when Jeyachandran is involved in a Raja song, that turns out to be a gem!! Very soft song, superbly tuned and superbly sung. Especially when he goes, 'ilavenir kalam aarambam', you can really feel the start of the season. Goosebumps stuff here.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00103.html

app_engine
29th March 2010, 06:57 PM
Sureshji,

'azhagAga siriththadhu' - one of my all-time fav songs. Apart from what you've mentioned, the orchestration & the recording are top class as well :-)

My repeat number for this morning was the unusual 'தத்தோம் தளாங்கு தத்தோம்' from vetRi vizhA! After the nenjaththaikkiLLAdhE song, another number were Prathap was associated with (as the movie director in this case).

It gives the 'badhlA dhEy' feel and energy / synth / custom IR loop / voice+machine fusion etc, except that the release was some two decades earlier :-)

SPB / SJ full of thuLLal as well:-)

Plum
29th March 2010, 07:04 PM
app, thanks for reminding. There is something unique about Vetri Vizhaa music that I am unable to place my finger on - I dont think there was any parallel to any other style patented by IR in his career in this movie. Especially, this song, thathom thalaangu. That percussion - what instrument is that; the one that goes thathom thalaangu thathom;"tutash" - is used in a few other songs but sounded unique here.
What style is this?

tvsankar
29th March 2010, 08:16 PM
Unna enaku thandhadharu - Azhagar malai

Patoda Beats patri en feelings.

Sarithira kadhaiyil vara Heroine, Kudhiraiyil, Hero vai thedara oru Get up ......

Adhuuvm Iravil..................

Sarithira kalathil irukum Iravil -

Anal oru Acharyam - Synth Sound il.........

tvsankar
29th March 2010, 08:35 PM
Bhuvana oru Kelvi kuri.

Poondheralae - indha paatai kaetadhum padam parka asai..

Village - late aga than padam ellam varum....

2 nalaiki melae theatere la irukadhu..

padam varaname nu vendi konden.... hahahha...( Neraiya IR padam ellam vandhadhu ilai..... enga vilalge la......)

Padamum vandhadhau.. 2 nalaki matum........
kashta pattu plan panni....

(9th std.... amma kuda poganam. annavukum Ilaiyaraja pidikum... elalrum pognaam..
Veetla thatha vai samalikanam. Thatha ku cinema poradhu pidikadhu...)

Seekirama veetu velai ellam mudichalaum late achu.

So Sencond show poga plan....

Thoongamal muzhichi irundhu.....

(apo ellam 11 maniku muzhichindu iruakradhu ellam late night... hahahha...)

secoind show um - 10.30 ku than.

Oru vazhiyaga ellar kudaiyum film ku kelambinen.

Vasalail - Road podara velai.. Street light yeriyalai..

Vasal il - periya kallil - kaalai thavara vaithu, kaal maati kondadhu..
kashta pattu kaalai eduthu vitten. Romba vali.
yaridamum solalvilali.
Sonnal - ennai matum vittu vittu - elalrum flim ku poiduvangalae....

valaiyai samalithu kondu theatre ponen.

Neram aga, aga, kaalil vali adhigam aradhu.
anal - kaalai parkavilai..

Intervel - Velichathil - kaalai parthen..

en valadhu paadham....

pumpkin madhiri - gunda, veengi iruku......

paadhathai konjam kuda asaika mudiyavilai.

(Fracture ilai endru theirigridahu. Nalla Suluku....)

Valiyudanae padam parthu mudithu vittu,
kelambum podhu amma kite sonnen.

paadhathai asaika mudiyavilali. valikaradhu endru...

kaalai partha amma sonnanga - suluku endru

ammavai pidithu kondu, nondi kondu.,
veedu varai - nadandhu vandhu serndhen.

veedu and theatre - romba dhooram illai dhan..
Vali nala romba dhooram madhiri thoniyadhu..

so - indha padam - nalla irundhadha - yemandhu ponanenaa.. adhu elalm vishayam ilai....

valiyoda kashta pattu parthen. so no regrets.
hahahahha...

so, Bhuvana oru Kelvi kuri - paatu kaekum podhellm en kaal vali and en amma thitinadhu dhan nyabagm varum... hahhahaha

swathy
29th March 2010, 08:45 PM
Pillai Nila irandum vellai nila - Neengal Kettavai

app_engine
29th March 2010, 09:35 PM

yaridamum solalvilali.

"எவ்வளவோ தடைக்கற்களை வாழ்க்கையில் கண்டிருக்கிறேன் / கடந்திருக்கிறேன்" அப்படீன்னு நீங்க தைரியமா சொல்லிக்கலாம் :-)

app_engine
29th March 2010, 11:30 PM
app,
What style is this?

Hope you're not asking me :-)

Over to B(K), Vel, Sureshs65 and other real-meesicals :-)

jaiganes
29th March 2010, 11:38 PM
app, thanks for reminding. There is something unique about Vetri Vizhaa music that I am unable to place my finger on - I dont think there was any parallel to any other style patented by IR in his career in this movie. Especially, this song, thathom thalaangu. That percussion - what instrument is that; the one that goes thathom thalaangu thathom;"tutash" - is used in a few other songs but sounded unique here.
What style is this?
me no meesikal - but style is truly hip hop (of that time) and electronica. Offcourse localized with SJ and SPB...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronica

tvsankar
30th March 2010, 11:41 AM

yaridamum solalvilali.

"எவ்வளவோ தடைக்கற்களை வாழ்க்கையில் கண்டிருக்கிறேன் / கடந்திருக்கிறேன்" அப்படீன்னு நீங்க தைரியமா சொல்லிக்கலாம் :-)

app...........
thanks for your comments........ :D

tvsankar
30th March 2010, 11:49 AM
Kannae en kanmaniyae - Mano and KSC

wat a song........

IR's Harmony.............

Thendral kaatru pola oru inimaiyana composing.......

Flute Flute Flute........... am mad of Raaja's Flute........

vaadi vaadi Maanae -

vaanga vaanga Raasa

idhan pinnal varum - Friendly Flute.......

idharkaga uyirai sandhoshamaga vittu vidalam..........

Padarvangalai solla maranthuten..

Beatiful Rendition by Mano and KSC...

Innocent voices .. NIce to hear .. soft and sweet love..

Nambikaiyana Love..... with Sweetness......

Andha nerathil oru paatu irundhal - ipadi than irukum....
Idhu dhan Raaja..

Nambikaiyana, inimaiyana kadhal - Raaja's composiition is Tooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Great................

raagas
30th March 2010, 05:53 PM
"Paaru Paaru Patanam Paaru": http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00462.html

This is one of his brilliant albums. One song - "Yaar Thoorigai" is a magnum opus composition (atleast to me). The way he uses bass guitar and acoustic guitars.. simply spellbinding. Check the second interlude which has bass undercurrent and the synthesizer freaking out. I am sure the instrumentalists might have got a high as if they were playing in some Pink Floyd Band or Jethro Tull something. And I love the voices. SPB and Uma Ramanan both sound so damn fresh. Check the way they take off with "Yaar Thoorigai" after the end of each charanam. The end of charanam itself is a beauty, with two beats struck hard (ah,this portion reminds me of R.D.Burman.. its his signature). Great composition, that needs a big post on blog.

raagas
30th March 2010, 05:58 PM
And as a bonus.. listen to "Thendral Varum" in the same album: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00462.html

The song has some vintage feeling. And there is lot of Piano usage. The first interlude is such a phenomenal fusion where Piano takes off and hands over the baton to Sitar. And i love the charanam ends. The 2nd interlude has Piano, synthesizer, Sitar and bassguitar, all shaken into a cocktail and the flute ending emerges as some froth out of that cocktail. Brilliant composition and one of the highly underrated compositions. The song itself has something like "Evergreen melody" written all over it. (infact, sometimes songs like these make me lament about where is this Ilaiyaraaja. Ofcourse, he is still feeding me with some good music, but this brand of music, which is present in this song, is somehow different). Enjoy this song guys! Its instrumentation and ideas reflect the stuff he actually used as weapons to ascend the position he is in now!

tvsankar
30th March 2010, 08:47 PM
raagas,
Yar thoorigai - write more about ur views pl...........

tvsankar
30th March 2010, 08:56 PM
And there is lot of Piano usage. The first interlude is such a phenomenal fusion where Piano takes off and hands over the baton to Sitar. And i love the charanam ends. The 2nd interlude has Piano, synthesizer, Sitar and bassguitar, all shaken into a cocktail and the flute ending emerges as some froth out of that cocktail. Brilliant composition and one of the highly underrated compositions.

Very Well Narration about His composiiton by you raagas........

i knew something about this song..
thank you raagas.

tvsankar
30th March 2010, 08:58 PM
Keechurallu

now am hearing this album..

mogali - nice no.

irir123, as u told - yes. its pathetic in 2nd interlude...

1st interlude madhiri - majestic a irundhu iruka vendiaya paatu....
enna acho... ipadi oru 2nd interlude.........

Sureshs65
30th March 2010, 09:29 PM
raagas,

Coincidentally I was listening to 'yaar thoorigai' only yesterday along with some other outstanding numbers like 'maargazhi paarvai paadava', 'vaanam enge' etc. Each one an instrumentalists delight. I recorded most of these songs from 'dhool.com' once upon a time. Saravanan, who writes some great articles at 'dhool.com' had written about these songs.

Check out this link. Each song is a delight.

http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/catlist.php?catid=7

irir123
30th March 2010, 11:22 PM
can anyone tell me the raagam(s) on which the following songs are based ?

"deva sangeetham" - guru
"thathharam" - guru

raagas
31st March 2010, 12:44 AM
raagas,

Coincidentally I was listening to 'yaar thoorigai' only yesterday along with some other outstanding numbers like 'maargazhi paarvai paadava', 'vaanam enge' etc. Each one an instrumentalists delight. I recorded most of these songs from 'dhool.com' once upon a time. Saravanan, who writes some great articles at 'dhool.com' had written about these songs.

Check out this link. Each song is a delight.

http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/catlist.php?catid=7

Suresh,

This coincidence beats all...I was listening to 'maargazhi paarvai paadava', 'vaanam enge', "poo enbatha pon enbatha" yesterday :) infact I like the songs of IR that came in that period. they sounded different. they had mild dose of vintage melody and some dose of new, lilting type of tunes with lot of guitars and stuff. there were violins and strong orchestra too, but if you notice, the string orchestra was not as complicated as in his 80s works. you rarely got to hear solo violin given its limelight in that period. Instead, it was more of guitars, flute or any traditional instrument like Sitar.

And you will be surprised, I also 'recorded' (took great pains to do that, using my dial up connection..spent hours and days to get them all... oh this was once upon a time...) all these songs... from Dhool only. i like dhool's raaja recommendations. all were gems.. rare gems.. and they are some of my precious collections of raaja.

raagas
31st March 2010, 10:41 AM
raagas,
Yar thoorigai - write more about ur views pl...........

The striking aspect of this song is the guitar. Its role is huge. Look at the initial strumming. It is different. And even when Uma Ramanan starts off "yaar Thoorigai", the guitar strains run continuously, in western classical style. And you can see the change of chords too (kolam ezhu..line). The 1st interlude has Piano and bass keeps bouncing off.. until the string section brings in a kind of order.The charanam lines are ended with guitar (with slight middle-eastern effect).And like i said the ending line of charanam has 2 strokes that makes us "wow". Now, why did we feel it? Because he stopped all percussion instruments before these lines. Unknowingly, a silence is set around in the background and only SPB's voice continues (the lines.. manathinile kanavugale..) with only guitars which keep the ambience intact. and for the last line, we have bang!

And immediately, see how lovely she takes off "Yaar Thoorigai". I have already written about 2nd interlude, the synthesizer freakout and stuff and a single flute with slight string orchestra emerge out of it. After the end of 2nd charanam, listen to the way SPB takes over "Yaar Thoorigai" This is one of those songs where SPB's voice is not heavy but feather light which inturn brings in a certain warmth to the whole rendition. It gives a very dreamy, breezy feel.. as if we can enjoy this song during a night or when we go on long drive with car windows open :)

The song is set in Bhairavi scale. but i think he did something. he mixed something.. it seems Mishra to me.Even in interludes. we have some foreign notes for sure. In that sense, it doesnt permeate as bhairavi feeling but only gives is a mild fragrance of it. And the fragrance is something which we would want to feel in certain times like i mentioned above. Ilaiyaraaja, a Genius!

Devaraagam
31st March 2010, 02:31 PM
I was listening naarinil poo thoduthu...from irandil ondru,

good to listen during night and observed that IR gives lot pause in the song which adds more meaning to the song. lyric is also adding value to the song.

tvsankar
31st March 2010, 09:59 PM
Thank you raagas.....

very very NICE write up......

(learn to listen HIS songs....)

tvsankar
31st March 2010, 10:01 PM
Manakum malligai - SPB and SJ

Excellent Violin works....

very Nice Rendiiton by SPB and SJ - during the humming.......

haaaaaaaaaaa....

very sweet one...............

Beats - inspires me a lottttttttt..................

Flute - so soothing.......

app_engine
31st March 2010, 11:10 PM
Totally contrasting two numbers this morning -

நானாக நானில்லை தாயே, நல்வாழ்வு தந்தாயே நீயே
(எஸ் பி பி / கமல் / ஏவிஎம்)

வச்சுக்கவா ஒன்ன மட்டும் நெஞ்சுக்குள்ளே? சத்தியமா நெஞ்சுக்குள்ள ஒன்னுமில்லே
(ஏசுதாஸ் / ஜானகி / ரஜினி / ஏவிஎம்)

I have a question on the 1st interlude of nAnAga nAnillai - I used to always think that it's clarinet that's being played. However, recently, many that I believed to be clarinet have been identified by "meesicals" as shenoy.

So, is this shenoy or clarinet or nAdhaswaram?

Like during the times of release of nallavanukku nallavan, an involuntary smile popped up while hearing the "qurbani" sound in the first interlude of vachchukkavA :-)
(The 'kovvv' sound of Ap jaisA kOyi...bAt ban jAyE, Biddu-Nazia Hassan number)

app_engine
31st March 2010, 11:19 PM
Digression

A quick search on Nazia brought a very sad news to me - that she died in 2000 due to lung cancer :-(

http://blog.taragana.com/e/2009/08/13/remembering-aap-jaisa-koi-girl-nazia-hasan-23874/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazia_Hassan

Both qurbAni and disco deewanE were among my regular listens, right at the time when IR was at his best, the early 80's!

End-digression

rajkumarc
1st April 2010, 11:53 AM
Superb posts on Yaar Thoorigai song. When was this movie released? Thought it was mid or late 80s. The feel of the songs was more like from an earlier period.

I was listening to Sindhu Nadhi Karai Oram from Nallathoru Kudumbam - http://thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00407.html
Mesmerizing song, lovely prelude however it's actually different in the movie.

app_engine
1st April 2010, 08:23 PM
Last couple of days I was pressing the skip button to a song, as I don't want to hear that in the morning (it's so soothing in the evening but somewhat depressing in the morning).

I was in some thoughts and missed to skip this morning and paid the price - thrown into a mood of melancholy for almost an hour.

சிட்டுக்கு செல்லச்சிட்டுக்கு ஒரு சிறகு முளைத்தது, ரத்தத்தில் வந்த சொந்தங்கள் - அந்த உறவு முறிந்தது

(KJY / Rajini / AVM)

Don't ask me what is there - we've heard this song 1000 times and all - there's some "extra this thing" in this song - the singing, the violins - something - something that makes one feel very dull and down :-(

Can't help but appreciate the ease with which KJY delivers the goods - just like that! I especially love the way he sings the 'நினைவா' and 'கதையா' words with a grace note!

tvsankar
1st April 2010, 08:33 PM
app,
KJY IR combo - All are Nice.

Chittuku - 2 vaarathuku mun, indha scene parka nerndhadhu.

ponnu - appavai insult pannitu, amma vai - marriage ku iru nu solra madhiir scene....

Rajini - appa shock agi nondhu povar..

Radhika - amma - kobama - appa illa dha apo, amma matum epadi kedaipen nu thititu veetuku vandhadhum,

Rajini - padara mahdiri scene.......

ipadi scene udan paatai parthadhum, manadhil vandha oru ennam...

INdha IR - padaaravangaliyum - padathai parka vechiduvaro nu...

adhanala dhan - paatin feelings and expressions ellam romba nalla iruko?

app_engine
1st April 2010, 10:05 PM
Chittuku - 2 vaarathuku mun, indha scene parka nerndhadhu.

Rajinikanth (& Radhika) excelled in this daughter episode and IMO this is one of the "best looks" for Rajini ever on screen!

This successful idea of "problem mAppiLLai" (youthful Karthik here) was somewhat adopted from pAsamalar (sweet-looking Gemini) and later carried on into padayappA (paridhAbamAna AbbAs)- never failed to strike a cord with the audience!

tvsankar
1st April 2010, 11:56 PM
app,
ipadi nenchu pakkalai ...... haha...
yes.
chittuku - very Smart Rajini....

irir123
2nd April 2010, 09:14 AM
Last couple of days I was pressing the skip button to a song, as I don't want to hear that in the morning (it's so soothing in the evening but somewhat depressing in the morning).

I was in some thoughts and missed to skip this morning and paid the price - thrown into a mood of melancholy for almost an hour.

சிட்டுக்கு செல்லச்சிட்டுக்கு ஒரு சிறகு முளைத்தது, ரத்தத்தில் வந்த சொந்தங்கள் - அந்த உறவு முறிந்தது

(KJY / Rajini / AVM)

Don't ask me what is there - we've heard this song 1000 times and all - there's some "extra this thing" in this song - the singing, the violins - something - something that makes one feel very dull and down :-(

Can't help but appreciate the ease with which KJY delivers the goods - just like that! I especially love the way he sings the 'நினைவா' and 'கதையா' words with a grace note!

app_engine, my heart becomes heavy even reading your words! thats the effect/impact of this monster of a composition by IR - what gives that extra impact is the extra layer of violins playing alongwith the original tune either throughout the song, or, especially, towards the end

oh boy, how i miss those carefree school days in chennai, with weekend afternoons spent listening to songs such as these, or, listening to them on the way to school with radios from shops and homes, playing Vividh Bharati's 8.30AM Neyar Viruppam! besides, of course, the once-in-a-blue-moon CHannel 9 telecast of cricket games from Australia!

tvsankar
2nd April 2010, 07:56 PM
Rajini - IR combo songs..

En chithi paiyan - apo avanuku 4 vayasu...

Thanga radhathil - avanuku romba pidikum..

avanuku thangai porandhadhum - andha kutti thangaiyai parthu indha paatai padinan......

Paayum puli - avanuku romba piidhca album apo.........

so

Rajini + IR songs keatlae - en chithi paiyan - chinna vayasu dhan nyabagam varum.

irir123,

andha madhiriya - ungalukum - Rajini IR combo songs.........

tvsankar
2nd April 2010, 07:58 PM
irir123,

Nisha manohari - paatai kaetal,

Guitar workai kaetal,.

Julee - Hindi film - song nyabgam varudhae...

Julee - which year...

NIsha manohari - which year..

app_engine
2nd April 2010, 08:44 PM
பொன்னோவியம் - கண்டேனம்மா எங்கெங்கும், கொண்டேனம்மா பேரின்பம் (கழுகு)

ராசா / ஜானகி / குழுவினர் / பஞ்சு / ரஜினி

on repeat this morning! What a joy ride of a song!

People who rave about vocal hormony / layers etc of current artists should hear this and understand who the real master was / is!

The interludes are simply OOW!

jaiganes
2nd April 2010, 10:42 PM
Chinnaththaayee - Yaerikkarai melirundhu

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6383599793523625904&hl=en&emb=1

Unforgettable song....
yesappa raasappa and swarnalatha
plus naatupura paattu plus counterpoints and harmony plus carnatic swaras - indha aviyalai alli alli saapitaalum manasu thigattave maatengudhu!!!

nallaa thaanyaa sonnaan thamizh paatan
Sakkarai pandhalil thaen maari peidhadhunnu...

tvsankar
2nd April 2010, 11:31 PM

Unforgettable song....
yesappa raasappa and swarnalatha
plus naatupura paattu plus counterpoints and harmony plus carnatic swaras - indha aviyalai alli alli saapitaalum manasu thigattave maatengudhu!!!

nallaa thaanyaa sonnaan thamizh paatan
Sakkarai pandhalil thaen maari peidhadhunnu...

2nd interlude - violin and the flute - am mad...........

indha paatai first time kaeta experience

en son apo 1 year 2 month
nadaka theirum.
konjama oda theriyum.

vasal gate therandhu irundha - road ku odi povan..

oru naal - morning 11 a m - kitchen il, son kaga
samachindu irundhen

vasalil yaro gate ai therandhutu poi irukanga....

enaku theriyalai.

konja neram - veedu silent a iruku...

silent a irundhalae - paiyan edho - satham illama ragalai seinjindu irukannu artham.hhhahahah

thedinen paiyanai...

vasalil gate therandhu iruku.
so paiyan road la dhan nu nichayam..

vegama road la pakkaren..
paiyanai kanom...
road il dhideer dhideer nu lorry car ellam vegama pogum...

advertise la vara madhiri odi poi thedaren paiyanai..

andha road right and left - 2 side a pirinju pogum.

oru kuthu madhipa - left side poi thedinen....

indha distance ku - en paiyan -nadakaradhuku - 12 min agi irukum..

en paiyan - oru veetu vasala ninundu irukan....

enaku acharyam..

odi poi pidichen....

paiyanuku pechu varalai - action la solran.
" amma aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh llllllllllllaaa"

enga veetla apo - pattu kaeka set kedaiyadhu..

avanai ninnu kaeka vecha paatu - naan yerikarai melae
adhu dhan first time a nanum kaeten...........

venus05
3rd April 2010, 12:29 AM
Ushaji,

Nice write up.

Oru thrillar siru kadhai paditha matahri irundhadhu...

You know how to build up the suspense... . like enna agumo...going through the motions is one thing...making the reader go through is another thing... good write up..
it is my favorite song as well.
Thanks.

app_engine
3rd April 2010, 12:43 AM
oru kuthu madhipa - left side poi thedinen....

சேயைப்போல தாய் :-)

பயமூட்டும் அனுபவம்!

rajasaranam
3rd April 2010, 10:12 AM

ஜேசைய்யா குரலில் ஏற்கனவே கேட்டு இருந்தாலும், ராசைய்யா குரலில் இந்த பாடலை சில காலங்களுக்கு முன்புதான் கேட்டேன்! பின் கேட்டு கொண்டே இருக்கிறேன்.
http://thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00095.html

Devaraagam
3rd April 2010, 10:54 AM
Chinannthayee is a very good album and all tiem fav..I like all the songs from the intro song aarumuga mangalathil....to naan ippodhum..

RS, entha paathum rasiyaa voiceley ketaley thani sogamthan...

Devaraagam
3rd April 2010, 11:08 AM
I am listening Anjali songs....after long gap.

each and every song is an energetic one...still I am having the feeling of which I had on my 1st listening. I still remember how long I was waiting for releasing of audio cassettes and enquired abt it daily at the music shop during my 10th std summer holiday

after listening the songs 1st time..I flew like anything for 2 months..listening those songs daily as subrabatham and watched the movie 1st day 1st show...

In those days.Anjali songs were big hangover for me...

tvsankar
3rd April 2010, 05:10 PM
Ola kudisaiyilae naan - Tirunelveli

Nice composition... as usual.. folk song with lot of stuffs....

Great Folk song......

tvsankar
3rd April 2010, 05:16 PM
Venus,
thanks for the response...

ennoda writings ... hmmmm

edho theri varen nu nenaikaren..

adhuku thanae indha Tfm page la suthindu iruken......

andha nigazhchiyil solla maandha vishayam

paiyan - ninnudu irudhan...

thookindu vandhen...

kozhandhai yen nikkaran nu gavanikalai..

en son irukanae...

avan simply great....

Naan thookindu nadaka arambichadhum,

en thalai mudiyai pidichu, moonjiyai
oru thirupu thirupi,

andha veetai kaati kaiyai kaatinan.
udanae andha veetuku kite ponen.

andha veetu jannalai nokki kaiyai kaatinan...

janal kite poi ninnen. ivanai idupil vechindu...

jannalai yetti pathu - paatai kaetanae .....

enaniyum kaeka vechanae.....

apo dhan gavanichen - kozhandhaiku paatu kaeka pidikudhu... adhuuvm IR songs nu.......

idha soli solli than
avanai IR fan a senju vechu iruken...
hhehehehhe...