PDA

View Full Version : What was the Last Ilaiyaraja song you listened to? - Part 2.

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

tvsankar
3rd April 2010, 05:18 PM
oru kuthu madhipa - left side poi thedinen....

சேயைப்போல தாய் :-)

பயமூட்டும் அனுபவம்!

app,
amam. unmaiyil bayandhu ponen.. en kuzhandhaiku anna acho endru.....

andha paatu - avanai romba dhooram poga vidalai...

Thayai pola pillai - hehhehehe...

so - avan enna nu enaku feel panna mudiyaradhu....

meedhi pagudhiayiyum padingo app. ipo solli iruken......

thumburu
3rd April 2010, 08:50 PM
Usha, nice "dhik dhik" experience . Hope u locked the gate after that incident and got a "set" with Raja songs :)
Heard "kaadhal jaadhi" after a long time and liked 3 numbers
"kannimara","manase","kaathe kathe". Uncomplicated tunes that balm the frayed nerves .
Flute runs as a lifeline all through these songs. Now a days , missing the fine voice of Unnikrishnan in Raja's songs.
Raja should use him instead of the substandard Sriram Parthasarathy :(

jaiganes
3rd April 2010, 10:15 PM
Usha, nice "dhik dhik" experience . Hope u locked the gate after that incident and got a "set" with Raja songs :)
Heard "kaadhal jaadhi" after a long time and liked 3 numbers
"kannimara","manase","kaathe kathe". Uncomplicated tunes that balm the frayed nerves .
Flute runs as a lifeline all through these songs. Now a days , missing the fine voice of Unnikrishnan in Raja's songs.
Raja should use him instead of the substandard Sriram Parthasarathy :(

I dont think as per the interview of Puru that IR prefers sriram parthasarathy or XYZ over Unnikrishnan - it is just that everyone has become busy and whose call sheet is available is being used.

Sureshs65
4th April 2010, 01:39 AM
thumburu,

Got the tape of 'kadhal jadhi' in Tirupati of all places!!! I too like all the three songs you mentioned and also 'nethu sonna vartha ingu' and 'enna marandhalum'. That sort of makes it all the songs :) I like the other songs as well. In short I love the whole album.

For some reason I am not a big fan of Unnikrishnan's songs for Raja. So I don't have much complaints about missing him in Raja's albums. Somehow to me neither Unni nor Hariharan have really clicked with Raja. I personally prefer Karthik. His songs for Raja have generally been good. ('adi thiranthanil', 'katre katre', 'mallepoovula'. Aaah. That reminds me. Need to listen to 'Mallepoovu' again.)

Sureshs65
4th April 2010, 01:48 AM
Listening to 'Tiruvasagam'. This is something which happens often. When I want to switch of the radio and put on my songs my daughters ask me to put in the Tiruvasagam tape. They like the 'polla vinayen' song. Initially it was due to their being amused hearing English in a Tamil song. Slowly they started liking the music. They now sing the English part but they also sing the interlude music!!!

No words to describe Tiruvasagam. This is something which has to be felt. The more I hear the songs the more convinced I am that no one else other than Raja could have done justice to these songs. To me this album is not done by Raja to demonstrate his genius. It was done because he spiritually connected with the poems of Manikavasagar and wanted to give them a sound of his own. As I had mentioned in a post earlier, what remains to me of Tiruvasagam is the intense emotion that Raja is able to pour into it. All the orchestration does is to help enhance this emotion.

Having said that we also need to admire Raja's genius in terms of how he integrates some sounds into his music. For example in the 'kothumbi' song, the violins go in such a way as to resemble the sound of the bumble bee but slowly morph into the raga that gets played for that charanam. Similarly in 'muthu nattraram' song the banging of the drums sounds exactly like the sound that is made when ladies in villages are striking something with the long wooden rods. You will notice this until you understand the song and hear the drums specifically for it. Then it becomes quickly obvious as to how well Raja has integrated the beat into the song.

If you have read thus far, here is a lovely dance based on 'pooveru konum' song. I am sure many of you have seen this. Those who haven't don't miss it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uRx-QYmizQ

app_engine
4th April 2010, 08:15 AM
app,
amam. unmaiyil bayandhu ponen.. en kuzhandhaiku anna acho endru.....

meedhi pagudhiayiyum padingo app. ipo solli iruken......

:-)

முடிவு - சுபம் அல்லவா?

நல்ல அம்மா, நல்ல பையன் :-)

Devaraagam
4th April 2010, 01:15 PM
thumburu,

I like pottal kaatley song also apart from what you and suresh had mentioned..it in one of the extraordinary album but the film was not released.

tvsankar
4th April 2010, 10:16 PM
Ilamaikalam engae - Thaikoru thaalatu

IR's composition...

Devaraagam sonnadhai pola

IR gives Re birth..

this is not reuse.. this is not remix...............

tvsankar
4th April 2010, 10:32 PM
thumburu,
Thanks for the response..

apavum set vangalai thumburu...

TV la - apo dhan cable culture vandhadhu...

cable chanel la - audio video songs vechanga..

apo dhan BBC and Star tv vandhadhu..

idhoda add vandha pudhusula naan gavanikalai.

indha add ai son gavanichu iurkan...

ennai kooptu - amma bbsheeeee... staaaaaaar taavee - paavu vaaaaaaaaaa..

paiyanin mazhalaiyil kaeta nyabagam dhan epodhum varum.........

paiyan cable tv la - Uzhaipali - kola kili matum kaepan...

tv kiteyae vandhu - Ranjini yai morachu morachu parpan...

andha paatu vandha - amma kolakili.....

Tamil ku nu - Sun Tv...... ellam vandhadhu...

tvsankar
4th April 2010, 10:35 PM
Arumbum thalire - Chandralekah - vijay film

very nice no......

app_engine
5th April 2010, 10:02 PM
Watched parts of Johny and the special theme for Rajini-Sridevi scenes keep playing in my mind non-stop!

Best example for "haunting"!

Devaraagam
5th April 2010, 11:32 PM
app,

Movies like jhony especially, directed by mahendran and balu mahendra on those days..had lot of scope for BGMs becasue they had enormous confident on IR..

Rajini - Sridevi, Rajini Deepa, Rajini-Rajini..you can enjoy the themes like in Jhony

tvsankar
6th April 2010, 12:06 AM
Actor Vijay movies - IR music - all are toooooo nice..

(En son IR fan aga continue panninadhuku idhuuvum oru reason. hahhha)

Kannukul lNilavu.

All are GEMS.

Roja poonthotam

Oru naal oru kanavu

Paatin inimaiyai solla - vaarthai ilali..

composition - SWEET

Orchestration - So sweeeeeeeeet.

Singers - Rendition also soooooooooooooooooo sweet.............

tvsankar
6th April 2010, 12:09 AM
Friends

Manjal poosum

Thendral varum

indha paatukaluku ellam naan Big Fan............

app_engine
6th April 2010, 01:19 AM
Usha chEchi, friends malayALam is a far more superior album than the Vijay one :-) It was totally confusing to me why IR should replace a song like 'shiva mallippoovE'
:?

app_engine
6th April 2010, 01:21 AM
BTW, 'ennaiththAlAtta varuvALA' is the best among ALL Vijay songs!

ajithfederer
6th April 2010, 02:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khy3X1gtraM

I've heard this song in some movie. Can't remember now. Help please.

ajithfederer
6th April 2010, 03:14 AM
Valayosai kalakalavena. What a soothing relief to hear on a monday afternoon.

ajithfederer
6th April 2010, 03:23 AM
தேவதை போல் ஒரு பெண் இங்கு வந்தது நம்பி...உன்னை நம்பி :).

irir123
6th April 2010, 03:34 AM
"Vaalaattum oor kuruvi" from "Ennai Vittu pogadhey"

The (G)Ramarajans, (Mike)Mohans, Muralis, Pandians and Sureshs of tamil cinema shd consider themselves extremely fortunate to have been around during IR's peak! but for IR's music, they would not have gotten even the little bit of name they managed to

tvsankar
6th April 2010, 10:50 AM
af,
ilavattam - CRV ku nichayam theiryum.

avar solli kaetu iruken..

ana ipo padam per nyabagam varalaiyae.

tvsankar
6th April 2010, 10:57 AM
"Vaalaattum oor kuruvi" from "Ennai Vittu pogadhey"

The (G)Ramarajans, (Mike)Mohans, Muralis, Pandians and Sureshs of tamil cinema shd consider themselves extremely fortunate to have been around during IR's peak! but for IR's music, they would not have gotten even the little bit of name they managed to

irir123,

indha list la, karthick and prabhu vaiyum serthikongo.

VAlatum oor kuruvi

prelude - Jhony - Hair Dresser Rajini avaruku vara bgm ai ninaika vaikum.

Raaja music la - soundless seconds... idhu romba special....

kettu dhan ponen - varum amaidhi..... music ai gavanika vaikum.......

vel
6th April 2010, 11:14 AM
pallakku kudhirayilae bavani varum meenatchi - what a rendition by MalaysiaVasu - the charanams are strikingly similar to the charanams of adhyushas sandhyapoothdhividae from pazhassi raja :) (ok both are gowrimanohari based......though pazhasi song is in rishivani, a dhaivatham deprived gowrimanohari)

tvsankar
6th April 2010, 11:19 AM
Vel,
how r u..

enna padam idhu........... kaeta madhiri theiryalaiyae.......

vel
6th April 2010, 12:52 PM
ennanga usha - it is surprising that a hardcore fan like you does not know....that is a fantastic song. A folkish gowrimanohari sung greatly by malaysia vasu... I think the film is periya veetu pannakkaaran,,,the charanams sound so close to adhyushas sandhya from pazhassi raja.

A.ANAND
6th April 2010, 02:10 PM
geetha sangeetha -jayachandran and sasirekha dont know witch movie!mindblowing song!

app_engine
6th April 2010, 04:27 PM
geetha sangeetha -jayachandran and sasirekha dont know witch movie!mindblowing song!

Name of the movie - anbE sangeethA.

I think the female singer is Jency.

tvsankar
6th April 2010, 04:56 PM
vel,
pallaku kuthiraiyilae - paatu matum kedaiklai i vel.
ithanai neram thedi thedi...........

inum kedaikalai...

unga description nalae - am eager to hear. hmmm

give me the link pl..........

Sureshs65
6th April 2010, 06:55 PM
Usha chEchi, friends malayALam is a far more superior album than the Vijay one :-) It was totally confusing to me why IR should replace a song like 'shiva mallippoovE'

Roger that!!! I am die hard fan of 'Friends' Malayalam and I will honestly say that 'Friends' Tamil has not yet got through to me. The only song I hear once in a while is 'poongatre' which is nice but I still prefer 'kadal katrin' over it. 'sivamallipoove' is an absolute gem and so is that very short 'kotram kettile/panjami tingal'

app_engine
6th April 2010, 07:44 PM
நேற்று இந்த நேரம், ஆற்றங்கரை ஓரம்
உன்னைத்தொட்டு என்னைத்தொட்டு தென்றல் செய்த கோலங்கள், ஜாலங்கள், ஆஹா!
(டிக் டிக் டிக்)

சும்மா சொல்லக்கூடாது, தனுஷ் மாமியார் பேஷாப்பாடி இருக்காங்க!

This song is a nice mixture of regular IR-isms and his love for RDB-isms :-)

tvsankar
6th April 2010, 07:53 PM
app and suresh,
IR songs - epodhum compare pannadheengo.

want to tell onething..

as a lady - oru time rasam senju nalla iruku nu marubadiyum seiya sonna,

same quantity aga material irundhalum,
taste veraga than varum...

then
1st time senja rasam dhan tastea...
2nd time senja rasam taste iali nu arthama..

hahahhaha

apadi than IR songs um....

so dont compare.................. heheehhe

tvsankar
6th April 2010, 11:57 PM
Minimini parvai - Juli Ganapathi

KJY - voice la age analum,

breath control, yetha yerakam....

He is great.....

Guitar and chords - idhanudan KJY voice

journey pannum vidham - really its very Beauty.........

irir123 - neenga - unga idathil - indha paatai suggest pannalam.. IR nu........

A.ANAND
7th April 2010, 07:39 PM

Name of the movie - anbE sangeethA.

I think the female singer is Jency.

thank u sir! :D

Bala (Karthik)
7th April 2010, 10:24 PM
Does anyone know how exactly IR and MSV collaborated for Mella Thirandhadhu Kanavu? I mean, was there any song in the album tuned by MSV?

app_engine
7th April 2010, 10:31 PM
Per AVM:
MSV did the tunes and IR the orchestration.

Per MSV:
kuzhaloodhum was tuned by IR and I approved it (sounds correct as otherwise it would not have been reused for cheeni kum)

BGM by IR and he added some bit songs in the BGM on his own.

app_engine
7th April 2010, 10:34 PM
I remember reading long back somewhere that one of our old DFers visited the studio during the MTK composing process and was overjoyed to see the mutual respect MSV & IR had for each other.

Also, the way in which they shared ideas, countered and colloborated etc was awesome to watch it seems!

Bala (Karthik)
8th April 2010, 01:05 AM
Thanks app

app_engine
8th April 2010, 07:45 AM
பொன்னான மேனி, உல்லாசம் கொண்டாடும் ராணி, உற்சாகம் நன நன நன....(மீண்டும் கோகிலா)

This song can be termed a quintessential movie song :-) The best part is getting KJY to sing this number - the way he concludes the second saraNam as 'Ah-hAh' so effortlessly showcases what kind of talent he was endowed with. Any song was a jujubi for him those days!

raajarasigan
8th April 2010, 04:15 PM
Per AVM:
MSV did the tunes and IR the orchestration.

Per MSV:
kuzhaloodhum was tuned by IR and I approved it (sounds correct as otherwise it would not have been reused for cheeni kum)

BGM by IR and he added some bit songs in the BGM on his own.This is true... MSV confirmed this in SPB's EPP program... kuzhaloodhum was tuned & orchaestrated by IR

thumburu
9th April 2010, 02:02 PM
If only "kuzhaloodhum" is tuned by IR, then Iam pretty disappointed as I find the tune ordinary eventhough orchestration and singing aspects are wonderful . Who tuned "thedum kan paarvai"? I rate that as the best tune of "Mella thirandhadhu kadhavu"

Plum
9th April 2010, 02:05 PM
MSV
Every song except kuzhaloodhum was MSV's tune.

jaiganes
9th April 2010, 05:24 PM
If only "kuzhaloodhum" is tuned by IR, then Iam pretty disappointed as I find the tune ordinary eventhough orchestration and singing aspects are wonderful . Who tuned "thedum kan paarvai"? I rate that as the best tune of "Mella thirandhadhu kadhavu"
sutha paeththal.
The power of thedum kan paarvai thavikka is the violin staccato interludes that heighten the tension and provide a dual context, hero searching a girl and the girl unknowingly slipping away to her doom. tune otherwise is a nice MSV tune. Kuzhaloodhum is the life line of the movie and its tune is nothing short of mesmerizing pastoral melody.

rajasaranam
9th April 2010, 05:33 PM
Kuzhaloodhum is the life line of the movie and its tune is nothing short of mesmerizing pastoral melody.

Ithellaam Appadiye varathuthaan illa :D

app_engine
9th April 2010, 07:50 PM
"வந்தாச்சு சித்திரை தான், போயாச்சு நித்திரை தான்" simply made many of my Malayali "meesical" friends melt those days, rating it as the finest melody they ever heard :-)

I personally rate this song as one of the most melodious I've ever heard! Ofcourse, those with carnatic knowledge may have different yardsticks but this song stands tall above others in MTK anyday for me!

'ooru sanam' is my next preference. Others are above average IMO but these two are extraordinary by film music standards :-) Proof? After hearing 1000's of times, I can still play these two on repeat and enjoy for hours! Others - may be once (that too if heard involuntarily), that's about it!

app_engine
9th April 2010, 10:15 PM
எந்தன் பொன் வண்ணமே, அன்புப்பூ வண்ணமே
நெஞ்சில் போராட்டமா, கண்ணில் நீரோட்டமா?
அதை நான் பார்ப்பதா - மனம் தான் தாங்குமா?

(நான் வாழ வைப்பேன்)

on repeat mode.

TMS so beautifilly mimicks Shivaji Ganesan in this song that one tends to believe that Shivaji himself is singing.

The interludes are extraordinary IMO and melodious. This is an early IR song but the tabla + guitar chords + bass guitar has already become a patented signature of IR and so sweet to hear :-)

Though there is some சோகம் இழையோடல் in parts of the interludes (violin / veeNa sounds), the song isn't melodramatic overall. Very controlled emotions / expressions that could potentially leave a lump in your throat depending upon the mood / surrounding...

Sureshs65
10th April 2010, 11:28 AM
app.

Coincidentally was listening to another Sivaji movie song, 'poovizhi vaasalil'. (Is it from Tyagam). Lovely song picturised on Vijaykumar. Seems to be my Vijaykumar day :) as I also was watching the 'endhan ponvanname'. Another superb song with Sridevi adding charm. Luck phlow Vijaykumar!!!

Added to these were songs from 'Niram Maaradha Pookal'. 'muthal muthalaga' and 'iru paravaigal'. Jency's 'iru paravaigal' always brings forth joy. What a delightful song.

kameshratnam
10th April 2010, 12:35 PM
Scene:A remote village in Tamilnadu. I had gone there on a holiday. I was sitting and listening to FM there..The song came...what an effect with the typical surroundings...I could feel heaviness of people who have experienced it and raaja had lived through that song...at end of the song..the song had entered my body and the nervous system too reacted and i was in tears.....it was a total trance experience

Song name: Kuyil pattu vandadu enna ila mana
En rasavin manasile..
What i cud see is only rajkran in the air and the clippings from the movie and how a soul sings

Hats off - wat an experience

P_R
10th April 2010, 02:40 PM
varAdhu vandha nAyagan :musicsmile:

tvsankar
10th April 2010, 05:14 PM
app.

Coincidentally was listening to another Sivaji movie song, 'poovizhi vaasalil'. (Is it from Tyagam). Lovely song picturised on Vijaykumar. Seems to be my Vijaykumar day :) as I also was watching the 'endhan ponvanname'. Another superb song with Sridevi adding charm. Luck phlow Vijaykumar!!!

Added to these were songs from 'Niram Maaradha Pookal'. 'muthal muthalaga' and 'iru paravaigal'. Jency's 'iru paravaigal' always brings forth joy. What a delightful song.

poovizhi vasalil - Deepam

endhan povannamae - Sridevi???

suresh,
edho mathi solreenga nu nenaikaren......

sridevi sivaji - poo polae

endhan pon vanammae - sivaj song for his sister. sister a nadichavanga - yaru theriyalai.....

tvsankar
10th April 2010, 05:19 PM
indha suresh yaru......
innoru suresh yaru.....

epadi theirnjukaradhu...
'
am confusing........

Devaraagam
10th April 2010, 05:31 PM
Listening Enthan vazhkaiyil artham...from chinna kannamma. lovely song sung by mano...on repeat mode..

very much touchy lyric.

tvsankar
10th April 2010, 05:33 PM
Pesadhae
vaayulla oomai nee - Deepam - TMS

Raajavai TMS um TMS ai Raajvum purindhu kondu,

Sivaji kaga tune pottu , paadiya oru sweet song......

Single violin, cello

keyboard.....

Flute - sivaji kaga adhu azhum..........

Haunting tune..................

Flute Flute FLute - this is IR..............

Sureshs65
12th April 2010, 12:24 AM
Usha,

My bad. I was thinking about another song which involved Vijayakumar and Sreedevi riding in a jeep. I am now confused as to which song I was thinking about. Help anyone?

tvsankar
12th April 2010, 01:05 AM
suresh,

hahhahaha.. sutham......

VK and Sri Devi - Jeep - ponnaram poovaram - pagalil oru Iravu

Bala (Karthik)
12th April 2010, 01:28 AM
sutha paeththal.
The power of thedum kan paarvai thavikka is the violin staccato interludes that heighten the tension and provide a dual context, hero searching a girl and the girl unknowingly slipping away to her doom. tune otherwise is a nice MSV tune. Kuzhaloodhum is the life line of the movie and its tune is nothing short of mesmerizing pastoral melody.

Jai,
Agree!
Kuzhaloodhum was just perfect (tune, orchestration, everything) unless one expected a Thyagaraja krithi-like tune for that situation!

"Vaa vennila", "Thedum Kann Paarvai" - rendume tune MSV nu thonichu.
Kuzhaloodhum - Raaja all over it

"Ooru sanam" - Couldn't guess it

"Paavana guru" - Is it based on any existing composition?

Sureshs65
12th April 2010, 10:09 AM
Bala,

I have not heard heard the 'Pavana Guru' from MTK but going by the pallavi lines it is a standard carnatic composition in 'Hamsanandi', which was made famous by Chembai and Jesudas.

thumburu
13th April 2010, 01:08 PM
sutha paeththal.

Jai,
Agree!
Kuzhaloodhum was just perfect (tune, orchestration, everything) unless one expected a Thyagaraja krithi-like tune for that situation!

"Vaa vennila", "Thedum Kann Paarvai" - rendume tune MSV nu thonichu.
Kuzhaloodhum - Raaja all over it

"Ooru sanam" - Couldn't guess it

"Paavana guru" - Is it based on any existing composition?

hellov, ippo yaaru "thedum kaN paarvai" ,orchestration powerful illainu sonnadhu? Naan compare panradhu tune. Odane oru kruthi maadhiri thaan irukkanumnu naan sollalai. May be that is Bala's expectation. That tune of "kuzhaludhum" is a little too bland and didnt impress me as much as the lovely undulations of "thedum kaN paarvai" tune . Those sangathis in the lines "konja neram neeyum kaathiru varum paadhai paarthiru ", "ini neeyum naanum vaazha vendum vaasal thedi vaa" are any singer' s delight and how they[SPB/SJ] have devoured them!!!
Aamaam, idhukku yen ivaLo alattal?

irir123
13th April 2010, 07:11 PM
AFAIK i dont care who composed 'thedum kan paarvai' or 'ooru sanam' - both are masterpieces and classics!

It is my gut feeling that both have a heavy hand of IR (besides the orchestration) - I cant think of any other MSV song post the evergreen "kanaa kaanum kangal mella" oozing with such 'organic' (borrowing the word from Bharadwaj Rangan!) melody!

perhaps the tune itself was a hybrid of two ideas from IR and MSV merging into one and IR embellishing the whole with his bass line and orchestration giving the rich feeling/texture!

are there any songs of MSV like 'ooru sanam' with so many unexpected twists (which I can only identify with IR's style) ?

tvsankar
13th April 2010, 09:40 PM
Vanji kodi vandhu vandhu - Kanna unai thedugiren....
Hariharan and bhavadharini

Haunting composiition....

Harbour la - night mood......

ship il...... top portion il,

pournami velichathil,

irutil - kadalai parthu kondu,

yaroda distance um illamal,.

inga oru love song... ipadi than situation thonudhu...

indha paatai kaetal...

tvsankar
13th April 2010, 09:48 PM
Beach il, night..... without disturbance....
Velichamana pournami nila

indha mood dhan thonum - indha paatai kaetal...

kadhal ennum kovil - kazhugu

baroque
13th April 2010, 10:27 PM
காலம் மாறலாம் நம் காதல் மாறுமா...
LOVE YOU Shri.Ilayaraaja! :swinghead:
தமிழ் புத்தாண்டு வாழ்த்துக்கள்!
vinatha.

Sureshs65
14th April 2010, 12:24 AM
Listening to the songs of 'Karagatakaari'. I would probably never have heard them or appreciated them when the movie came out. Now, I am enthralled by almost all the songs. Superb energy and orchestration in all songs.

Devaraagam
14th April 2010, 01:02 AM
Listening to the songs of 'Karagatakaari'. I would probably never have heard them or appreciated them when the movie came out. Now, I am enthralled by almost all the songs. Superb energy and orchestration in all songs.
Hope Nowadays u r listening karagattakari frequently :D
Nice album..some time back I started watching this movie on some tv then switched off TV as I do not want to spoil my imagination on the songs :lol: :lol:

Sureshs65
14th April 2010, 11:22 AM
DR,

Yup. Listening to a lot of 'Karagatakari' nowadays. Just love the album. I too wouldn't want to watch the songs. I remember seeing one poster with an overweight Roja in it and that was enough for me to keep away from watching any songs !!! :)

A very Happy Tamil New Year to all of you.

app_engine
14th April 2010, 07:28 PM
Johny songs - a complete album that can easily fight for the top spot among IR's "albums" :-)

Sureshs65
14th April 2010, 08:06 PM
app,

'Johny' is one terrific album. No doubt about it. If it has the tribal 'aasai adigam vachu', the rock tinged 'senorita', the superb melodies in 'en vaanile' and 'oru iniya manadhu'. Ofcourse, to go one step above these requires a top class song and a top class singer. That is what Janaki does in 'katril endhan geetham'. A really inspired album and we are not talking about BGM yet !!!!

tvsankar
14th April 2010, 09:42 PM
Suresh,
enna achu ungaluku...

Theliva - nalla - maathi solreenga...... :lol: :D :shock:

Jhony - indha album pathi dhanae pesareenga...

idhula - enga - asai adhigam vechu...

adhu - asaiyai kaathula thoodhu vittu..........

ana neenga enna solla poreenga.....

3vadha oru paataiya................... :lol:

tvsankar
14th April 2010, 10:18 PM
Othaiyilae ninna dhenna

KSC ...

old ladya ilai app. innocent ivllage lady.. adhukaga .....

Chords - Violin vicky solvadhu pola - IR azhaga arrange pannuvar..

Singer in feelings aga.....

Harmony layer il - instruments um, singer um journy pannum
oru Great song of IR.......

Haunting no.................

Sureshs65
14th April 2010, 11:32 PM
Usha,

I probably posted in a semi sleep state :lol: Yup. 'asaiya kaathula dooduvittu' is what I meant. Me too bad.

tvsankar
17th April 2010, 07:04 PM
sari suresh...... :D

tvsankar
17th April 2010, 07:07 PM
suresh,
indha link la - madan nu oruthar
ezhudhi irukar..

writings style - inga irukara orutharodadhu
madhiri irukae...

inga endha perla irukar nu - writings vechu kandu pidika muidyuma....

Beautiful and extraordinary write up....

Jule Ganapathy - Idhayamae idhayamae

http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#CommMsgs?cmm=46219149&tid=2589957086616553503&na=2&nst=648

Devaraagam
17th April 2010, 10:53 PM
Kattai Illai Nettai Illai from thirunelveli is good number to hear. by seeing the lyric..similler to sakkarakatti of mella thiranthathu kadahvu...in this song also kids are singing..

I do not know the singer and she is singing good.

Sureshs65
18th April 2010, 01:57 AM
Usha,

Thanks for the orkut link. Lovely writeup by Madan. Not sure whether he posts here. I am hearing the 'Julie Ganapathy' song for the first time. But currently more immersed in 'thuliyo thuli' of 'Kaatirukka Neramillai' which DR had pointed out in SOTD. Amazing song.

Devaraagam
19th April 2010, 12:56 AM
Suresh...are you listening 1st time? its wonderful album. do not miss enakku piditha paadal from july ganapthy...

Sherya Goshal done an excelant job on that song.

One point of time..i was listening enakku piditha paadal continuously almost more than a week. :D :D

thanks for JG, it remind me the song for freak out thread..

Sureshs65
19th April 2010, 10:42 PM
Still stuck with 'tuliyo tuli'. Thanks once again to DR for introducing this song. In a repeat mode the last two days and still going strong. Can't get myself to listen to any other song!!

baroque
20th April 2010, 06:15 AM
suresh,
Julie Ganapthi is new to you.
mmmm... :) (Just picked up Jayaram's Winter(malayalam-2009) &
Robert De niro's Cape fear :shaking: from library to revisit) :)
Watch the movie, Suresh!
Brutal thriller from Balu Mahendra (adaption from a Hollywood movie).
Saritha has done good job. :devil:
Jayaram's fine movie.
I love this genre. :frightened:
Super natural suspense thrillers, Action thrillers, Psycho thrillers.
:shaking: Manorama six feet under , BAAZIGAR, சிகப்பு ரோஜாக்கள், மதுமதி, மஹால் ,Jewel theif, anandhabadhram, aar paar..captivating musicals :musicsmile:
Vinatha.

app_engine
20th April 2010, 07:45 PM
மண்ணில் இந்தக்காதல் இன்றி
(கேளடி கண்மணி, எஸ்பிபி)

What a beauty of a song - simple and endearing!

tvsankar
21st April 2010, 12:35 AM
Poonthalir - Album

All songs are GEMS.......

My first pick - Nyan Nyan adanam

2nd - Manadhil enna ninaivugalo

thumburu
21st April 2010, 12:27 PM
Poonthalir - Album

All songs are GEMS....... - Very true Usha

My first pick - Nyan Nyan adanam - Mine too , despite Jency. The sharp violins , flute , sensous rythm stab my weak heart

2nd - Manadhil enna ninaivugalo - That sensational guitar prelude, SPShailaja's stylish humming . Ah!!! Those golden old days when Raja's creative enery brimming and drenching the whole of southern peninsula.

My last song is such a suave, sophisticated Sarasangi in "Maharajanodu rani vandha neram" - "Sathileelavathi". Smooth sax interludes , very brief flute , strings and guitar punctuations , understated tune and singing all make for a trendy soft rock number. I dunt want to believe KR had a hand in these arrangements. For me, its one and only Raja , possible

Plum
21st April 2010, 12:42 PM
poonthalir
ofcourse, Usha quoted jnan jnan pAdaNum and manadhil, the tour-de-force of the album. However, the album's full of gems. The pick of the album for me is SPB, in a jaladosha kural kuzhainjufying "iLamaiyin ilakkaNam...vA pon mayilE"

Sureshs65
21st April 2010, 02:46 PM
'Maharajanodu rani'. This also came at a time when people no longer wanted to listen to Raja. It never went up the charts. I used to be surprised as to why such a lovely song did not catch up with the public. Anyway, I loved the song. This is one of those 'soft songs' which was sung by Unnikrishnan. Similar to 'allah un aanai padi'

I was unfortunate enough to once see the pciturization of 'gnan gnan'. Sujatha in love!!! Still gives me the jeepers.

app_engine
21st April 2010, 09:23 PM
பறந்தாலும் விடமாட்டேன் (குரு - எஸ்பிபி / கொஞ்சிக்குழையும் ஜானகி)

Watched this on youtube yesterday - flying club song, was it the first time to have a duet of this kind?

Sridevi is beautiful - I think post-nasal operation (contrast this with endhan kaNNil from the same movie where it was old nose).

Kamal flies the plane like driving a car (i.e. if he leaves the "steering", plane will fall down it seems) :-)

The song had orchestration way too much ahead of its time! They used to play this all the time in the school hostel (horn speaker) during evenings. This was never played in Trichy radio station (possibly their disk lacked this song, such things used to happen those days).

Even the version played in SLBC had chopped interludes :-(

tvsankar
22nd April 2010, 01:11 AM
thiraipadal la full version iruku app.

Guru - parandhalum

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00174.html

app_engine
22nd April 2010, 01:19 AM
Usha Chechi,

I have the full version song on CD :-)

The first time I heard this song was from a "next seat neighbor"'s cassette player in the bus from Batlagundu to Kodaikkanal (my first trip to that hills).

The lines "கூண்டிலே கிளியல்ல கொஞ்சிப்பேச, கோதை நான் மீனல்ல வலையை வீச" sounded so mesmerisingly sweet, I can still feel the breeze of the hills of that day, the sweet SJ, the flute accompaniment...

Any IR song from that time period can easily bring some sweet memories...

jaiganes
22nd April 2010, 03:46 AM
A Piece of 'REAL' genius

Maataraani mounamidhi from Maharishi (Telugu).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJiaiFQr__g

The song has so many things going for it melody wise and orchestration wise and singing wise...
In between all this, Ilaiyaraaja works up a rhythm pattern that is nothing short of magic.
If you have seen Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Man who knew too much' the titles begin with a british orchestra playing an ensemble and a guy with a huge cymbal simply standing - right at the end of the title sequence, he simply concludes by 'crashing' it. If you are puzzled by it, then the answer is in the pre-climax scene of the movie.
Ilaiyaraaja conjures up a similar puzzle in the second charanam's 'theermaanam' bit (rhythm conclusion at the end of charanam #2).

All along in the song when SPB is singing and the tabla guys are making merry to a staccato styled playing that literally accompanies every 'phrase' uttered by SPB, the single accoustic drums guy is waiting for his score sheet to show up a note or cue. No luck for him and the charanam #1 ends with SPB concluding 'meeku naaku dhooralEla' (how can there be distance between us).

Charanam#2 starts and it is S.Janaki who takes up the baton and this is a response to charanam#1 and here it is conflicting response and the charanam has to end brilliantly with 'Anthe leni enthO dhooram' (end less immeasurable distance) and as if Ilaiyaraaja got the cue from the lyrics - he conjures up a cue to the drummer who has been impatienly waiting for his part and the theermanam (concluding rhythm) for the charanam#2 which ends in a conflict is done through the western accoustic drums instead of the 'ever agreeable' tabla. This is done with a lot of thematic purpose and a brilliant master stroke which i am listening for the past week non-stop.

This is one reason good enough for me to reserve the word 'genius' to Ilaiyaraaja and Ilaiyaraaja alone.

irir123
22nd April 2010, 04:11 AM
Usha Chechi,

I have the full version song on CD :-)

The first time I heard this song was from a "next seat neighbor"'s cassette player in the bus from Batlagundu to Kodaikkanal (my first trip to that hills).

The lines "கூண்டிலே கிளியல்ல கொஞ்சிப்பேச, கோதை நான் மீனல்ல வலையை வீச" sounded so mesmerisingly sweet, I can still feel the breeze of the hills of that day, the sweet SJ, the flute accompaniment...

Any IR song from that time period can easily bring some sweet memories...

orchestration ellaam nallaathaan irukku! aanaa, naduvula SPB asadu vazhiyum kuralil "sinorita, how do you feel abt me now i say" - and even worse towards the end "baby, hey baby, how do you feel abt me now ?" plain embarassing!

every time SPB ventures (at IR's insistence) to mouth 'peter' words (another example is "i want to tell you something, wait a minute" from 'anand') - thaanga mudiyala!

app_engine
22nd April 2010, 04:45 AM
Hearing this 'priyathamA' song for the first time - a whole gang sitting and going gaga over IR's composistion here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDCRoA9BSoE

This seems to be the movie original (SPB, Revathy are there in the video) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owdAGYF0Srg&feature=related

Sureshs65
22nd April 2010, 10:07 AM
irir123,

:)

I haven't heard the 'Guru' song yet but I have heard quite a few SPB songs where he sings / speaks English. You may know about the 'Maro Chritra' song, 'bale bale magaadivoy' where he sings the whole song in English. Songs like this and those sung by Rafi in Telugu are songs which most Telugu people want to forget :D

Sureshs65
22nd April 2010, 10:16 AM
Nice to see two of my favorite songs being discussed. Maharishi had fabulous songs and the song Jai talks about 'Matarani Mounamidhi' is a terrific one. Wonderful writeup Jai and I fully support the conclusion you reached :D

app: 'Priyathama' is a very touching song. An excellent tune which distils the sadness of the situation. If you observe, the 'Geetanjali' (Telugu) has 'O Papa Laali' for a similar situation. The difference being in 'Geetanjali' the hero has accepted the inevitable whereas in this movie 'Prema', the hero refuses to accept the situation. The tuning therefore differs a lot. Both have the pathos but there is contrast in the other aspects. 'O Papa Laali' gives a very soothing feeling while 'Priyathama' raves and rants against the creator. The tunes are so wonderfully conceived by the master. Only when you check out the tunes he gives for such similar but different situation do you understand what people mean by 'emotional connect' in Raja's music. 'Priyathama' has some lovely lyrics by Athreya as well.

tvsankar
22nd April 2010, 11:46 AM
irir123,
SPB - edhuku pazhikareenga..

padam - kadhai therinja - idhai rasika
mudiyum..

pazhika mateenga....

Sureshs65
22nd April 2010, 05:11 PM
Usha,

Honestly I know the situation and story of Marocharita but still Balu's English sing is 'idellam too much, aaaman' :lol:

tvsankar
22nd April 2010, 06:01 PM
suresh,
idhu IR thread.
Marocharita - SPB - dono the situation.. and the song also.

In IR songs - SPB is good.

SPB's english sing - toooooo nice to hear.....

Edho - india la, elalrum correct english pesaranga nu nenapa.....

SPB voice - enna prob......... english la padarachae............

dont cricise him.......... pl.......

irir123
22nd April 2010, 07:00 PM
Madam - SPB's English while singing songs is pathetic, to say the least! he is perfectly fine singing in south Indian languages, yes he has a terrific voice - but when it comes to English diction, he does the singing equivalent of 'hamming' in acting, and its plain embarassing! his only passable english was "wish you a happy new year" for 'ilamai idho idho' (SKV) - his other attempt for Kamal in 'enge endhan kadhali' (enakkul oruvan) when he says 'welcome baby' luckily stops with that and he switches to tamil thereafter 'oru nilavu tharaiyilirundhu purappattu vinnukku varugiradhey' - i heave a big sigh of relief each time i come to that part of that song!

buggle
22nd April 2010, 07:06 PM
Another song on similar lines is 'Ilankiliye' from Shankarlal.
Usage of trumpet is very nice in this song but the english conversation between SJ and SPB it's like a overdose. Maybe it was a trend to have english words in tamil songs those days......

Sureshs65
22nd April 2010, 07:15 PM
Usha,

Don't get upset. I am not saying that everyone in India has perfect English accent. All I am saying is that when SPB sings a lot in English, it does become a bit of a pain. SPB is a great singer with lot of good things about him. One small criticism of this sort is not going to take anything away from him. Well, we all love to criticize once in a while, isn't it :D

tvsankar
22nd April 2010, 08:58 PM
irir123 and suresh,
idhuku melae naan onnum solla poradhu ilai.

(naan solla solla - unga rendu peroda criticism adhigam agum. I know this tfm... hahaha..)

tvsankar
22nd April 2010, 09:06 PM
SPB - paatula sirikaradhu enaku pidikum.

Pattu kannam thottu kolla - enna oru time sense oda siripar.......

pechum - apadi than. oru time sense oda pesuvar.........

apadi nu naan nenachindu iruken......

raajarasigan
22nd April 2010, 09:28 PM
Thenmozhi anbu Thenmozhi - Solla Thudikkuthu Manasu

this song has one of the best violin ludes from IR.... simply violins heightened this song to a sky high.... especially the prelude violin.... Sheer Bliss!!!Thalaivaa :notworthy: :notworthy: :clap: :clap:

irir123
22nd April 2010, 10:53 PM

avar paadattum, sirukkattum, thamizh, telugu, kannada mozhigalil pesattum, ellamey ketpadharku azhaghaa thaan irukkum! aanal, english mattum vendaam, adhu avarukku oru dhrishti suzhi!

vramesh
23rd April 2010, 12:30 AM
Last couple of days I was pressing the skip button to a song, as I don't want to hear that in the morning (it's so soothing in the evening but somewhat depressing in the morning).

I was in some thoughts and missed to skip this morning and paid the price - thrown into a mood of melancholy for almost an hour.

சிட்டுக்கு செல்லச்சிட்டுக்கு ஒரு சிறகு முளைத்தது, ரத்தத்தில் வந்த சொந்தங்கள் - அந்த உறவு முறிந்தது

(KJY / Rajini / AVM)

Don't ask me what is there - we've heard this song 1000 times and all - there's some "extra this thing" in this song - the singing, the violins - something - something that makes one feel very dull and down :-(

Can't help but appreciate the ease with which KJY delivers the goods - just like that! I especially love the way he sings the 'நினைவா' and 'கதையா' words with a grace note!

app_engine, my heart becomes heavy even reading your words! thats the effect/impact of this monster of a composition by IR - what gives that extra impact is the extra layer of violins playing alongwith the original tune either throughout the song, or, especially, towards the end

hi friends, this trivia must be athupidi for most of you, still posting this for the busy types who missed it...

During dhanush-aishwaria wedding, rajini was busy greeting guests and after a while, walked in to have a word with the couple. Immediately Kunnakadi very thoughtfully played the Chitukku chella chittuku tune on his violin. Rajini wiped away a tear and smiled.

what a song that is.

app_engine
23rd April 2010, 07:40 PM
This morning I was listening to the Sunanda version of "sheNbagamE" (sweet) and was reminded of the rare uvamai of "எள்ளுப்பூ நாசி" (comparing the girl's nose to sesame flower).

While driving, 'aRachcha santhanam' was providing indescribable pleasure and there came this reference of "ஏலப்பூ" to the nose of the girl :-)

Two uvamais of somewhat rare flowers (that we don't see that often, like rose and jasmine) prompted me to google and get a couple of pictures :-) And here they are (please go ahead and compare them with the nose of yourself / your sweetheart) :-)

எள்ளுப்பூ :
[html:dbf652be83]
http://www.dipasa.com/Portals/0/images/Content/Sesame%20plant%20flower.JPG
[/html:dbf652be83]

ஏலப்பூ:

[html:dbf652be83]
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1359/715786792_19208a9eda.jpg?v=0
[/html:dbf652be83]

naarayanan
23rd April 2010, 07:50 PM

avar paadattum, sirukkattum, thamizh, telugu, kannada mozhigalil pesattum, ellamey ketpadharku azhaghaa thaan irukkum! aanal, english mattum vendaam, adhu avarukku oru dhrishti suzhi!

why so irir? in fact his flow of english is rather comparable to harsha bhogle or narotham puri, so fluent and natural.

i think you mean his english diction in the songs. yes, i agree. but it may be due to the compulsion also that all the words should reach the audience.

Sureshs65
23rd April 2010, 09:48 PM
Two uvamais of somewhat rare flowers (that we don't see that often, like rose and jasmine) prompted me to google and get a couple of pictures :-) And here they are (please go ahead and compare them with the nose of yourself / your sweetheart) :-)
[/html]

Lollu eh :lol: Suggest we try comparing it to our own noses and not to that of our sweetheart(s). if we do, our noses will then be compared to squashed mangoes :lol:

app_engine
23rd April 2010, 10:49 PM
Sureshji,

:-)

In any case, comparing these poo's respectively to the noses of nisanthi & kaRpoo - who featured in the corresponding songs - will not result in much damage :-)

ajithfederer
23rd April 2010, 11:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNJWRdpcbdg&feature=related

A visual delight.

Sureshs65
24th April 2010, 12:09 AM
app,

:D

tvsankar
24th April 2010, 12:32 AM
mooka pathi pesi mudidchacha....... :oops:

tvsankar
24th April 2010, 12:35 AM
Ennae maranno ponnae - Ezhupunna

idhu IR film a... enna padam.. endha year..
detail pl........

tvsankar
24th April 2010, 12:37 AM
Beautiful Karahara priya

app_engine
24th April 2010, 01:21 AM
mooka pathi pesi mudidchacha....... :oops:

செண்பகமே பாட்டில் வருவது இப்படியாக்கும் :

"எள்ளுப்பூ நாசி பத்தி பேசிப்பேசித்தீராது" :lol:

After a long time, I relished the eera vizhikkAviyangaL songs this morning - a landmark album from Raja for a film that didn't run for more than a day.

The sweet flute sound that envelops KJY's magical voice for 'காதல் பண் பாடு' is just one of the many delights in this guitar dominated album.

IR-Pratap Pothen combo means sophistication (& classic guitar)!

app_engine
24th April 2010, 07:09 AM
Just finished watching the 'pOvOmA oorkOlam' video for the nth time.

All the sins that P Vasu has committed in TF have been washed away by this single song and video, once for all!

The childish enthu of Prabhu and kaRpoo catches up with all of us and we all feel like children again!

Raja weaves in his magic through the strings and a soulful tune and the lines are aptly rendered by SPB and Swarnalatha!

Prabhu does a lot of things like Mohanlal in this song and it suits him pretty good! Actually, all that he needs to do (with his shape) is to simply imitate Lal and we would have easily had a super actor - alas, he wanted to do some TF'fy stuff and got sidelined :-(

Anyways, CT can stand tall on just these two songs - aRachcha sandhanam and pOvOmA - as one of the best albums in TFM ever!

jaiganes
24th April 2010, 10:45 AM
Just finished watching the 'pOvOmA oorkOlam' video for the nth time.

All the sins that P Vasu has committed in TF have been washed away by this single song and video, once for all!

The childish enthu of Prabhu and kaRpoo catches up with all of us and we all feel like children again!

Raja weaves in his magic through the strings and a soulful tune and the lines are aptly rendered by SPB and Swarnalatha!

Prabhu does a lot of things like Mohanlal in this song and it suits him pretty good! Actually, all that he needs to do (with his shape) is to simply imitate Lal and we would have easily had a super actor - alas, he wanted to do some TF'fy stuff and got sidelined :-(

Anyways, CT can stand tall on just these two songs - aRachcha sandhanam and pOvOmA - as one of the best albums in TFM ever!

not to forget the kuyila pudichu kazutha odachu song - my favourite song whenever i am having the 'onsite blues'.

Sureshs65
24th April 2010, 03:06 PM
'thazampoo thalil' from 'Oomakuyil'. I got introduced to this song through Vicky's website. You can hear it here:

http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/

Check under 'Discover Janaki Chechi' post and this is the 10th song in the list. I was totally stunned that such a song had escaped my attention earlier. This is top drawer stuff. The bass is something we all die for. Even by the 'Boss of Bass' standards, the bass is superb. The interludes, the tune, Janaki's singing. Just everything is inch perfect. What an amazing second interlude with great play between the guitar and the violins. One more song to tell people why lot of people still are stuck with the late 70s / early 80s Raja. There will be none like him.

raghavendran
24th April 2010, 05:46 PM
raja sir's entire song album of "sethu"...really awesome...raja sir-bala combo :notworthy:

app_engine
24th April 2010, 06:50 PM
வளையோசை கலகலகலவென (சத்யா)

this morning, after some gap - what a song'pA!

Easily another perfect 10 song by IR - sweet melody, excellent singers (SPB - Lata Mangeshkar), phenomenal orchestration (let it be drum work, strings, guitar - all beautifully in place) and a nice pace!

This song also enjoyed one of the best picturisations in TF history :-) Smart Kamal, azhagAna Amala and some nice sequences!

app_engine
24th April 2010, 11:38 PM
அடுக்கு மல்லிகை (தங்க மகன்)

ராசா அப்படியே சக்கரைல செஞ்ச பாட்டு - தித்திப்பு!

(I was so upset that this was another silukku song, like pEsakkoodAdhu :-( The film field was so crazy over her those days that some sweet compositions were rendered unviewable on screen)

One should listen to the first interlude to understand what "flow" means. Even the prelude is a lesson to anyone interested in composing as to how a song should flow! (Listening to such songs while driving is a big hazard - this morning I was speeding, that too terribly, in a very sensitive zone - I-94 in DTW airport area where upto 4 cop cars can be seen giving tickets on Saturdays...For some reason, there was none today and a big escape)

Dragun
25th April 2010, 12:01 AM
Currently listening to Vaanengum from Moondram Pirai. Also recently listened to:

-Kanmani Anbodu (Guna)
-Antha Vaanathapola (Chinna Gounder)

Sureshs65
26th April 2010, 01:27 AM
Listening to 'aaro paadunnu doore' before going to bed. What a lovely song to listen to in the quiet of the night. A lovely postlude adds to the joy. Taking a simple 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' and building on it. Just lovely.

irir123
26th April 2010, 05:16 AM
this one is a monster!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFjl4OnCa_g

IR is truely a "rakshasan" indeed !

Sureshs65
26th April 2010, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the link irir123. Truly remarkable music.

jaiganes
26th April 2010, 10:25 PM
[tscii:2cc3154b34]Was listening to Kokile Koohubaa from Prem Kahaani.
Apt lesson in what is 'post modernism' in arts.

If anyone has cared to listen to 'Veenai' balachandar's music albums or concerts, there is a particular Pièce de résistance which he indulges so playfully and soulfully - the 'kokila geetham' or 'kuyil paattu'. Here all the raaga wizardry and krithi bhaavas are left and the artist indulges in creating a sound scape of a grove with sweet sounding koyels (kuyil paravai). The beautiful mating calls of the birds are played out in the veenai by the maestro and the whole purpose of music then dawns on the listener - to be one with the nature, the ruthu. There is nothing else attributable to the song and in its basic nature the melody comes out by itself.

Raaja begins the song as if he is in a concert playing 'kuyil paattu' with flutes instead of veenai and then slowly infuses synth rhythms and the female solo voice starts singing explaining the beauty of nature - the transformation from a classical musical technique into a modern film song is accomplished with very little fuss and great care - suddenly it is a wonderful world of coexistence of an age old musical idiom in a modern medium accompanied by all the modern technology sounds and counterpoints that achieve the musical harmony and oneness.

All this for a possible heroine intro song or something...

Mind boggling thought behind the simplest of songs.

no wonder the music of Raaja sounds 'dated' in portions to some - because it is the very nature of post modernism - take the old and blend it with the new and form an anachronistic bridge. This is organic way of blending instead of taking an old song as is and altering with technology and adding modern sound layers that dont jel at all and calling it a remix.[/tscii:2cc3154b34]

Sureshs65
26th April 2010, 10:51 PM
Jai,

Yup. 'kogile' is a superb one. The whole album 'Prem Kahani' was top class. I love this song as much as I love 'Sringara Bangare'. (BTW, Plum, have you heard this album. In case you haven't do it soon.) Your explanation is very apt. I remember Violin Vicky posting somewhere (his blog or maybe it was in yahoo groups) about this song and saying that the whole song gives the impression of a 'kuyil' singing the song. He was alluding to Raja's aesthetics, where the whole start makes it feel as if a 'kuyil' is singing.

... and what can we say of the 'layering' technology which seems to have caught everybody's fancy. No need for anything to jell. Just add lot of layers!!!

And to those who haven't heard /seen this song yet, here is a youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j56mj_dsZeQ

Sureshs65
26th April 2010, 10:55 PM
BTW, here is what Violin Vicky wrote about 'kogile koogu baa' in yahoo groups:

"I would like to draw your attention to an old speech by Maestro which you all
have already seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxWLc9hZ0wU

For the benefit of non-Tamil speakers, I give a gyst of the part I wish to talk
about (from 4:18 onwards).

In this, he describes how the feel/ crux of the song's theme is not only
expressed by the lyrics nor by the tune but an unique combination of both..

He explains the tune and the beauty of the lyric corresponding to it as - "The
Farmer who holds the plow and toils, does not hold any land". He notes that the
'act of plowing' is performed going forward as well the metaphorical adjective
of his glorification as "Er Pidikkum Uzhavan" as "someone who does a noble thing
of farming" - Both these traits symbolize a forward movement.. And hence the
tune moves in an ascent as well.

But the fact that "But He doesn't own any land" is a pathetic state of affair
and the tune corresponding from that lyric, starts to fall back in descent..

He says, when you hear such songs you either appreciate the tune or appreciate
the appropriate fit of words to the tune or the lyric for its poetic beauty in
conveying such a rich message. But seldom one fails to take note of all the
three together, visualizing a highly meta level thinking.. of tune and lyric
walking together, turning whichever way the theme takes them.. and compliments
his brother for writing such intricate lyrics and considers himself lucky for
being such a eminent scholar's brother.

If you listen to the song "Kogile Koogu Baa" (from "Prem Kahani" - Kannada), The
lyrics go about a singing cuckoo bird and conveying the state of mind of a
female protoganist, probably in Love.. (Can our Kannda memebers please confirm?)

And if you just hum the tune of these two words. "Kogile......Koogu Baa..." it
sounds exactly like a cuckoo perched atop a branch.. The tune clearly conveying
the theme on its own without the emphasize on lyrics.
(Good job by Bela Shende to convey the right amount of cuckoo expression.. just
like Chithra.. )

In this case, the lyricist did an amazing job by writing proper words that fit
the tune. But I am sure it was a team effort and there was a good brain-storming
session simultaneously as the tune was being composed. The end product is yet
another hand in hand walk of lyric-tune-Theme. Its of my personal belief that,
In south Indian cinema Raaja's songs are probably the only ones in the 21st
century where this third dimension of Theme/ underlying abstract of the song is
unified into other two traditional dimensions of Tune and Lyric. As a result we
get three dimensional solid as opposed to 2D images that float around ..

PS: I do not know one word of Kannada, and I hope I get what the creators wanted
to convey.. Yet another demo of how an art should be...

With Love
Vicky

Sanjeevi
27th April 2010, 12:32 AM
Ilayaraja did test Mano by Idhayathai Thirudathey songs? :shock:. I just knew all the song sung by Mano in IT were sung by SPB in original telugu Geethanjali. For me I can't imagine IT songs by a singer other than Mano. Intially, itt was uncomfortable listening the telugu songs though they are original. If you ask me at time to choose who is better I might have been ended up with Mano just because the songs by Mano are mingled with my blood.

Oh Priya - tamil (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awrtcbPRtK0) vs telugu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L03_ym25MPc&feature=fvw) vs hindi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyKReI4NnkI&feature=related) - Hindi looks like a comedy piece

Oh Pappa - tamil (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2GYqXAYNO0) vs telugu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L03_ym25MPc&feature=fvw)

Sanjeevi
27th April 2010, 12:44 AM
this song in telugu is any time better than the tamil one.being a tamilian i must admit that telugu is sweeter than tamil.even bharathiar once said.illayaraja melody is a lullaby for any age male or female.

:rotfl3:

Sanjeevi
27th April 2010, 01:15 AM
Some other telugu vs tamil

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGIRR2521%27 vs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXRDd3k7Gk4&feature=related

Paadum paravaigal was a telugu dubbed one but this song from another telugu movie. How?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQDHUQjuMqw vs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6UFTo4xM2g&feature=related

Devaraagam
27th April 2010, 02:45 AM
sanjeevi,

when I was listening IT songs, songs were mingled with me for long time but I heard the telugu version almost after 10 yrs from the release of IT, and felt that I had missed mind blowing SPB version for so long...

I felt real feeling in O..papa of telugu version.

after that I started searching all Telugu version of IR and got thrilled to hear the SPB versions of songs

irir123
27th April 2010, 08:40 AM
Geethanjali original songs by SPB were class! Mano spoilt everyone of them in tamil

'o papa lali' became 'o BAABAAAA LAALI' - pathetic

Sanjeevi
27th April 2010, 11:31 AM
Yes SPB is mindblowing in Oh pappa telugu song than Mano in tamil song. Oh God how I changed myself, no it was SPB who changed my mind by his brilliant rendition.

and what about the comparision in songs "Vidiya Vidiya (Jagada jagada)" and "KattukkullE" where Mano was very good I say Though I have not listened SPB versions.

Sureshs65
27th April 2010, 12:13 PM
Sanjeevi,

I had quite a few friends from TN who were staying in Hyd during the 'Geetanjali' times. When they heard the Tamil version after hearing the Telugu one, everyone without exception cried !!!! I am not saying Mano is bad as such but in this movie the contrast with SPB did not work in his favour. Anyone who has heard Telugu songs first can never accept Mano's versions.

Sanjeevi
27th April 2010, 12:55 PM
. Anyone who has heard Telugu songs first can never accept Mano's versions.

I don't have and won't have that expreience because I heard tamil songs first. SPB was/is excellent in Ulvanguthal and Velikonaruthal

crvenky
27th April 2010, 01:35 PM
I heard yesterday some of the unknown gems. Strongly recommended for listening.

Unni oru podhum - Mappillai Vandhachu
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00355.html
What a rhythm with veena and urumi melam combi!!

Unn vethanai - Salangayil Oru Sangeetham
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00576.html
Great compilation of all regional dance forms. Was this song a hit in Telugu?

Eerettu pathinaaru - Raja Rajadhan
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00551.html
Nice one - starts with western and shifts to Carnatic

Kutrala kaatru - Kaaval Geetham
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00241.html
Western song - superb orchestration.

Plum
27th April 2010, 01:38 PM
Mano singing songs already sung by SPB is a bit unfair on him.

* In O Priya, just hear him going "adi nIyE baliyAga varugindra peNmaiyE" - absolutely lifeless - why? Because he is focussing on musically imitating SPB. In trying to keep the rendition as technically close to SPB as possible, he loses focus on the words and the emotion. So, the bad singing is a function of his fundamental approach to playback singing, which makes it really sad for him
* In Nayagan, watch him go gruff and lifeless on "nE ora kAdhalll sangEthammm.
* With KSC complementing him on both songs, he easily manages to alienate the listener absolutely and relatively.
* Once you have heard this in the beginning of his career, it is very difficult to reconcile further with him.
* I think Rahman managed to find a use for him with mukkAlA muqablA kind of songs - where neither the lyrics nor emotion play any key part and it's all about verbal dexterity - which he has.
* Vidyasagar followed muqabla up with Hey Shabba
* Note that these are not songs that require Mano to imitate SPB - either consciously or per MD instruction, he his himself in these songs, and perhaps that is his niche.

* Ok, I worship IR but Mano, IMO, was inflicted upon us by him, and all things considered - IR knows his music, he knows whom to use how etc - I still feel I have been shortchanged by our God by using Mano

Sanjeevi
27th April 2010, 02:29 PM
* I think Rahman managed to find a use for him with mukkAlA muqablA kind of songs - where neither the lyrics nor emotion play any key part and it's all about verbal dexterity - which he has.
* Vidyasagar followed muqabla up with Hey Shabba

Then "KattukkullE" from IT should be a 'pioneer' for Mano

Sureshs65
27th April 2010, 03:39 PM
Plum,

I expected you here :)

Anyway, back to topic. Listening on a loop to 'kadha todarunnu' songs. All three of them. I have already made it clear that 'aaro' is my favourite and will remain so for quite some time to come.

rajasaranam
27th April 2010, 04:33 PM
Man
*Vidyasagar followed muqabla up with Hey Shabba

Ilaiyaraaja Preceded Muqabla with 'Vethalam Vanthurukkuthu' (Soorasamhaaram) & Adichiru Kottam (Indiran Chandiran) :)

Plum
27th April 2010, 06:14 PM
RS, fair enough, enakku theriyala.
Neither of the two songs you mention are very familiar to me.

Saying that, that doesnt justify using Mano for the other songs that he was used for. Just my opinion - If IR has a reason why Mano is better than SPB for those songs, I dont know about it

app_engine
27th April 2010, 07:00 PM
If IR has a reason why Mano is better than SPB for those songs

என்ன ப்ளம், பின்னணி பாடுவதில் திறமை தாண்டியும் சில விஷயங்கள் உள்ளன அல்லவா? அந்த சமயத்தில் ராசா சராசரியாக 30-40 படங்கள் ஒரு வருஷத்தில் இசை அமைத்துக்கொண்டிருந்தார். எஸ்பிபியும் 3-4 மொழிகளில் (இந்தி அடக்கம்) பாடித்தள்ளிக்கொண்டிருந்தார். ஒரு அவசரத்தேவை ஆல்டெர்னேட் வேண்டாமா?

மலேசியா வாசுதேவனும் எஸ்பிபியும் இது போதாமல் நடிக்க வேறு ஆரம்பித்து விட்டிருந்தார்கள். அப்புறம் வெளிநாட்டுப்பயணங்கள் இத்யாதி.

இதெல்லாம் தவிர, தமிழில் ஒருவேளை "மொத்தக்குத்தகை" அடிப்படையில் ராசாவுக்கு ஒரு தொகை - அதுக்குள் அவரே இசை சம்பந்தப்பட்ட எல்லாம் செய்து முடிக்கணும் - என்றெல்லாம் நடந்திருக்கலாம்.

செலவுக்குறைப்பு. ப்ராஜெக்ட் மேனேஜ்மென்ட் :-)

app_engine
27th April 2010, 07:22 PM
தேவதை, ஒரு தேவதை, பறந்து வந்தாள் வென்றாள் சென்றாள், தேவதை...
(எஸ்பிபி / ஜானகி / பட்டாக்கத்தி பைரவன்)

இலங்கை வானொலியில் இந்தப்பாடல் ஒலிக்கும்போது இரண்டாவது இடை-இசையின் சமயத்தில் உலகமே மறந்து போகும்:-)

அந்தத்தொடக்க இசையில் வரும் குழலோசை - அதை என்னவென்று சொல்ல?

இப்படியெல்லாம் கூடப்பாடல் உண்டாக்க முடியுமா என்று அப்போதும் இப்போதும் பிரமிக்க வைக்கும் பாடல்!

நேற்று மாலை முதல் திரும்பத்திரும்ப வண்டியில் ஒலித்துக்கொண்டிருக்கிறது!

tvsankar
27th April 2010, 09:36 PM
Headphone la kelungo app.....

Prelude la vara flute - left ear to right ear ku
transfer agum....

i like it........

paatu vandha apo - ipadi vasadhiya kaekalai.

analum - Rasichi irukom.. IR ai unarndhu irukom.......

Enna oru nambikai indha Raaja ku.,...

Ipadi nalla kaekara anniki kaekatum gara madhiri

Greaat Man He is........

app_engine
27th April 2010, 10:26 PM
paatu vandha apo - ipadi vasadhiya kaekalai.

Actually it was sometimes a pain to listen to stereo songs in those days, with the mono AM transmission (and the valve radio, obviously mono).

Sometimes, all the instruments from one of the tracks won't be heard at all (for dEvadhai and engengo sellum, it'll be just guitar chords that'll be heard, the thuLLal vioin will be almost muted - so feeble, for e.g.)

Sure those are all sweet nostalgia now :-)

Devaraagam
27th April 2010, 11:44 PM
Ilaiyaraaja Preceded Muqabla with 'Vethalam Vanthurukkuthu' (Soorasamhaaram) & Adichiru Kottam (Indiran Chandiran) :)

RS, long time back I read or heard..I cud not able to recollect but remember the message, I believe Indiran Chandiran and IT were recorded during same time period..SPB sung the telugu version of "Adichiru Kottam" and got affected his throat. since SPB was not available IR used Mano for IT and Indiran Chandran Tamil versions.

Later in one TV interview, Kamal and SPB were together that time Kamal said that "எனக்காக பாடி இவர் (SPB) ரொம்ப கஷ்டபட்டிருக்காருங்க.." (Kamal had mentioned this for the Telugu version of Indiran chandran.)

Sureshs65
27th April 2010, 11:56 PM
app,

Thanks for introducing me to this song. The only song from I 'Pattakatthi Bairavan' I know is the famous 'engengo sellum', which was played quite regularly on Madras AIR station. Wonderful melody this song. What flute playing. Typical IR late 70s melody.

app_engine
28th April 2010, 12:13 AM
introducing me
:shock:

If I remember correct, this was played more often than 'engengO sellum' in the SLBC.

Possibly SLBC wasn't very popular in Madras but wherever I spent my boyhood (most north was Trichy), that was THE preferred station. i.e. till the time the conflict broke out in large scale. :cry2:

Apart from the prelude and 2nd interlude, my most fav portion is SJ singing the 2nd saraNam - sweettO sweettu!

raj_musing
28th April 2010, 08:24 AM
An amazing song composed by raja for the movie "Dooram Arike".Though the movie never saw light,the songs went on to become a massive hit during those time.Jayachandran's rendition with good expressions needs a special mention...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOznSkBYOqc

Malarthoppilil from the same movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsIMF8OlH_M

Other two rare songs of raja from the movie "Ulle Veliye" which I keep humming--- Sakarakatti sakarakatti and kallathanamaka kannan...Can anyone please post the video link for this songs?

jaiganes
28th April 2010, 09:08 AM
An amazing song composed by raja for the movie "Dooram Arike".Though the movie never saw light,the songs went on to become a massive hit during those time.Jayachandran's rendition with good expressions needs a special mention...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOznSkBYOqc

Malarthoppilil from the same movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsIMF8OlH_M

Other two rare songs of raja from the movie "Ulle Veliye" which I keep humming--- Sakarakatti sakarakatti and kallathanamaka kannan...Can anyone please post the video link for this songs?
ulle veliye songs paakanuma?
yaen indha vibareedha aasai?

Sureshs65
28th April 2010, 01:38 PM
raj_musing,

I did not know that 'Dooram Arike' never made it to the theatres. These two songs are favourites as well.

Never heard the 'ulle veliye' songs and going by some snatches of the movie that I saw on TV, I can understand Jai's statement :D

Sureshs65
28th April 2010, 04:45 PM
app,

I was in Hyd during that time. Our only source of new Tamil movie songs was the Madras A station which broadcast these songs on Sunday between 4 to 5pm. And in that 'engengo' was the one which was broadcast regularly.

app_engine
28th April 2010, 05:35 PM
Sureshji,

Yes, I remember you telling about being away from TN and how that makes a number of old IR hits as new intros :-)

pattAkkaththi songs were, IMO, like what RDB remarked about the kOzhi koovuthu ones - i.e. at least 10 years ahead of what IFM was at that time :-)

raj_musing
28th April 2010, 10:18 PM
Jai,Suresh,

If you heard heard these 2 songs of the movie Ullei veliye you will u understand what I mean :) Iam sure that the movie was not a hit,but the songs were pretty catchy....The golden times when raja could make everyone look at a crap movie only for his songs :)

raj_musing
28th April 2010, 10:33 PM
Hey guys,

Enjoy as I got one song from youtube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHsZPEhEWag

tvsankar
28th April 2010, 10:36 PM
Chikendra adaiyil - Iniya Uravu Poothadhu

SJ - Rendition is so sweeeeeeet.

Aeorbic theiryadha kalathil - Raja kite irundhu vandha paatu...

typical song.........

raj_musing
28th April 2010, 11:12 PM
Got the other one after a lot of search..though the video link is unavailable. Download and enjoy...!

http://www.mediafire.com/?majjtntenjq

tvsankar
28th April 2010, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the links.......

Sanjeevi
28th April 2010, 11:17 PM
Hey guys,

Enjoy as I got one song from youtube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHsZPEhEWag

One of my favorites :)

Ulle Veliye had good run in BO not a flop (atleast in B & C)

tvsankar
28th April 2010, 11:23 PM
Sakkara katti - Beautiful Charukesi.........

app_engine
28th April 2010, 11:43 PM
பூமாலை ஒரு பாவை ஆனதோ
(தங்கமகன், எஸ்பிபி, ஜானகி)

Brilliant song - nice chords, innovative interludes, some jolly singing. This was extremely popular those days as well.

One thing that always irritated me was using SPB to talk as the audience in the song (while also singing as the hero). For the "...ஆளு எங்கப்பா கதையாக்குது" portion why couldn't they get another person? It was a Rajini-RMV movie and could it be so difficult to pay an extra person?

I don't want to blame IR here as he was possibly working out the creative part - just too many innovations- in that audio.

Such things should have been the manager / director's job!

app_engine
29th April 2010, 07:15 AM
ஆட்டமா, தேரோட்டமா (கேப்டன் பிரபாகரன், ஸ்வர்ணலதா)

ரொம்ப அருமையாப்பாடி இருக்காங்க நான் வாழ்ந்த ஊர்க்காரப்பெண்மணி :-)

அதுவும் கொஞ்சம் லோ பிட்ச் போகும்போது ரொம்ப, ரொம்ப நல்லா இருக்கு குரல்!

யாரு ஆண் குரல்? மனோவா?

அப்படியானால், இது இந்திரன் சந்திரனின் 'அடிச்சிடு கொட்டம்' பாட்டுக்கு ரொம்பவே முன்னால் வந்தது!

முக்காபுலாவெல்லாம் ரொம்ப லேட்டு சார் - மனோவை என்னவெல்லாம் செய்ய முடியுமோ அதெல்லாம் ராசா ஏற்கனவே செஞ்சாச்சு ப்ளம்ஜி!

rajasaranam
29th April 2010, 10:34 AM
அப்படியானால், இது இந்திரன் சந்திரனின் 'அடிச்சிடு கொட்டம்' பாட்டுக்கு ரொம்பவே முன்னால் வந்தது!

முக்காபுலாவெல்லாம் ரொம்ப லேட்டு சார் - மனோவை என்னவெல்லாம் செய்ய முடியுமோ அதெல்லாம் ராசா ஏற்கனவே செஞ்சாச்சு ப்ளம்ஜி!

நிறையவே செய்து விட்டார் ராஜா மனோவை வைத்து! பல பாடல்கள் நினைவுக்கு வர மாட்டேன் என்கிறது. சட்டென்று நினைவுக்கு வருவது அவரை வைத்து ராஜா முயற்சித்து பார்த்த ஹிந்துஸ்தானி வகை பாடல்கள் தான்! வண்ண வண்ண பூக்களில் வரும் 'திரனான திர திரனா' (http://www.mediafire.com/file/mqzm1mgnj5o/DhirnaanaDhira.MP3) வை யாரும் மறக்க முடியுமா? அற்புதமாக பாடி இருப்பார் மனோ :) பாலுவின் குரல் போல் இல்லை மனோவினுடையது என்றாலும், மனோ பாடிய சில பாடல்களை அவர் மட்டுமே பாடி இருக்க முடியும்.

tvsankar
29th April 2010, 05:12 PM
Kanna nee engae - Rusi Kanda poonai - SJ

kozhandhai mahdiri padi - she kills me..........

IR's Tune - IR - Nursury songs ku tune pota nalla irukum - indha asai dhan varum......

vel
29th April 2010, 06:02 PM
not exactly a song, but instrumental album - "india 24 hours". How many colors he creates for the same melody..each so vibrant and unique ..and soulful...a great one for the collection !

app_engine
1st May 2010, 09:49 AM
Kamalahasan's பஞ்சபூதங்களும் முகவடிவாகும் demonstrations to SP Shailaja :-) Youtube வாழ்க!

இவை கிளறி விடும் உணர்வுகளையெல்லாம் வார்த்தைகளில் வர்ணிக்க முடியாது!

One of the best scenes ever in cinema (not just among Indian films)!

We watched salangai oli in Trichy Kalaiarangam after the last exam in one of the semesters - very carefree. It was 1983 and that day was made more memorable by the 175 not out of Kapil Dev! IIRC, it was 19/5 before the movie started and my friend had a transistor and was following the score during interval!

Salangai oli - one of the best movies ever made and Kapil's 175 not out - one of the best innings ever in cricket, at the end of semester exams! அது கனாவையும் மிஞ்சின காலம்!

raghavendran
1st May 2010, 10:40 AM
Kamalahasan's பஞ்சபூதங்களும் முகவடிவாகும் demonstrations to SP Shailaja :-) Youtube வாழ்க!

இவை கிளறி விடும் உணர்வுகளையெல்லாம் வார்த்தைகளில் வர்ணிக்க முடியாது!

One of the best scenes ever in cinema (not just among Indian films)!

We watched salangai oli in Trichy Kalaiarangam after the last exam in one of the semesters - very carefree. It was 1983 and that day was made more memorable by the 175 not out of Kapil Dev! IIRC, it was 19/5 before the movie started and my friend had a transistor and was following the score during interval!

Salangai oli - one of the best movies ever made and Kapil's 175 not out - one of the best innings ever in cricket, at the end of semester exams! அது கனாவையும் மிஞ்சின காலம்! :notworthy: :notworthy:

app_engine
1st May 2010, 10:53 AM
இது மௌனமான நேரம் - இதுவும் யுட்யூபில் :-)

ஜெயப்ரதா அப்போது என்ன ஒரு மென்மை!

இரண்டாவது சரணத்தின் போது, தலையைக்காய வைத்து விட்டு, ஹாலில் உட்கார்ந்து பாதத்தை நோகாமல் மெல்ல மெல்ல 'அணக்கும்' அந்த ம்ருதுலம்! காணக்கண் கோடி வேண்டும் என்பார்களே, இது போன்ற காட்சிகளுக்குத்தான்!

Plum
1st May 2010, 03:33 PM
Kanna nee engae - Rusi Kanda poonai - SJ

kozhandhai mahdiri padi - she kills me..........

IR's Tune - IR - Nursury songs ku tune pota nalla irukum - indha asai dhan varum......
This song was picked from a stage drama endrum, indha tune pOttadhu S Janaki endrum I have heard.

tvsankar
1st May 2010, 06:42 PM
oho... pudhu news idhu ........

Thanks for the info plum .

tvsankar
1st May 2010, 08:01 PM
Yari Gagi aata

SPB's comments about IR - Nice to hear ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7eRlBu_ebk

jaiganes
2nd May 2010, 04:59 AM
Yari Gagi aata

Truly a composition to die for.
This was late 70s and the song is a KILLER.
The little girl - is a blessed singer. To be able to sing this monstrosity of a song sung by that monstrous janaki with ease - I would not have tried this one even in the bathtub.
AMAZING !!!
I have the song in the CD - thankfully this song CD is still selling like hotcakes in Bangalore and is available to anyone who wants to buy and listen. This is like a proof of how best human mind can think when it comes to music and the tempest it works up with the lead singer and base notes and rhythms is beyond description that words of language can provide. One more day when my life seems to have a higher meaning when I hear such songs...

jaiganes
2nd May 2010, 05:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--tG_y_WZws&feature=related

Original bharjari bete song yaari gaagi.
When i see the picturisation, I am twice as excited to see the way Raaja has worked up this song from his 'Thalai'.
There are two characters singing/dancing this cabaret/dance club number.
Raaja would have - today brought two singers, but back then, one S.Janaki is sufficient - The alternating lines counterpoints, scale transitions everything is done by the Singing split personality S.Janaki and Raaja has served her a full course dinner with a 'quirky' staccato beat where indian traditional and modern rhythms mix and separate at precise mathematical points that are determinable only by Bhaskara or Aryabhatta - oops also by Ilaiyaraaja.
i try to visualize how Shankar nag must have felt coming out of the composition room - 'Nanna thala kettogidhe - idhane hege picturise maaduvenu heega?'
(My head is spinning - how can this be picturised?) It reflects in the picturisation clearly - easily explains the whacky kathakali dancers dancing in club with flickering lights (prior to Agni nakshathram ninnukori) and bharathiraaja style devathais wielding musical instruments..

MONSTROUS GENIUS in a smaal thaalai.

I can put :notworthy: icons like this - but when I can write from my heart, I want to write as much as i can praising a 'knowledge' and talent like this. Words are the only thing I have to offer...

Isnt it Hamsanandhi -
If it is,, then
A Hamsanandhi for
the extremely romantic Rojavai thaalattum thendral (correct me guys)
the extremely poignant and movieng 'Vedham anuvilum oru naadham'
the extremely affecting 'Piraye piraye'
and one extremely whacky 'yaarigaagi aata'?
one raaga's many shades - all brought out by one thalai - Raasappu!!!
Raaga rasa gnaani Raaja - YOU ROCK MAN - ANY DAY AND ANYTIME
and thats why he told all the idiots
"Naetru illai NaaLai illai
Eppavum naan RAAJA"

app_engine
2nd May 2010, 05:41 AM
I'm sure there's a Thamizh version of this song - just cannot recall in which movie (not of any top star, possibly some less-known movie).

priya32
2nd May 2010, 06:16 AM
[tscii:79c7ee0998]நல்ல நேரம் நேரம்
நாளும் யோகம் யோகம்
வெற்றி மாலைகள் சூடும்

’அந்த ஒரு நிமிடம்’ - எஸ்.ஜானகி!

Beautifully sung by SJ![/tscii:79c7ee0998]

raghavendran
2nd May 2010, 02:29 PM
[tscii:6abf9e89c6]நல்ல நேரம் நேரம்
நாளும் யோகம் யோகம்
வெற்றி மாலைகள் சூடும்

’அந்த ஒரு நிமிடம்’ - எஸ்.ஜானகி!

Beautifully sung by SJ![/tscii:6abf9e89c6] :clap: :clap:

tvsankar
2nd May 2010, 03:03 PM
Jaiganes,
Thanks for your writings and the youtube link.

Raasapu - indha velaiyai seiyaradhu dhan
Great......

Adhuvum - After all - Film songs ku...
. After all - ordinary movies ku...
After all -- Ordinary Directors ku............
After all - Ordinary Heroines ku...
After all - For All Ordinary Things ku..........

Idhu Dhan - Raaja.....

Thevai paduvadhai Thevaiyanadhai - kodukaravan Raaja.........

Indha Music Raajavum appadi than......

Yaruku enna thevaiyo - adhai Kaekamalyae kodukum - oru Music Raaja.................

tvsankar
2nd May 2010, 03:06 PM
The alternating lines counterpoints, scale transitions everything is done by the Singing split personality S.Janaki and Raaja has served her a full course

Jaiganes - Wat a nice words about this SJ in IR's composition.......

Thank you ..........

raghavendran
2nd May 2010, 06:05 PM
Yari Gagi aata

Truly a composition to die for.
This was late 70s and the song is a KILLER.
The little girl - is a blessed singer. To be able to sing this monstrosity of a song sung by that monstrous janaki with ease - I would not have tried this one even in the bathtub.
AMAZING !!!
I have the song in the CD - thankfully this song CD is still selling like hotcakes in Bangalore and is available to anyone who wants to buy and listen. This is like a proof of how best human mind can think when it comes to music and the tempest it works up with the lead singer and base notes and rhythms is beyond description that words of language can provide. One more day when my life seems to have a higher meaning when I hear such songs... :thumbsup:

venus05
2nd May 2010, 08:33 PM
அப் என் ஜின்,
"இவை கிளறி விடும் உணர்வுகளையெல்லாம் வார்த்தைகளில் வர்ணிக்க முடியாது! "

சத்யமான வார்தைகள்!!!!!
மேலும் நீஙக்ள் எழுதிய காலகட்ட்ம் மிகவும் பொன்னானது; நீஙகள் பார்த்த அடுத்த வாரத்தில் தான் நானும் சலங்கை ஒலி பார்த்தேன்.
அதே தினம் மதியம் என் நண்பர்களுடன் கோவை சென்று, இந்தியா இறுதி ஆட்டத்தில் வென்றதை கண்டு களித்தோம்.
(பொள்ளச்சில் அப்போது தொலைகாட்சி கிடையாது)
என்னுடைய பள்ளி கோடைவிடுமுறை நாட்கள்
கிரிகெட்டும் ராஜவின் பாடல்களும்
அவை மறக்க முடியாத நாட்கள் ம்ம்ம்ம்ம்!!!!!
பழைய கதையை கிளரியதர்க்கு மிகவும் நன்றி....

tvsankar
3rd May 2010, 01:12 AM
Ponmana selvan

Poovana yetai thottu - Mano and VJ
Rare combo.....

Beautiful flow ..........

Soft Beats

Great Violin works.

Friendly Guitar

sweet Flute........

Repeat agahda NOTES......... Idhu Raaja........

ajithfederer
3rd May 2010, 05:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrWEoIh53OI

Re-directed from steve austin's latest song post from TFM section.

Bala (Karthik)
3rd May 2010, 10:25 AM
Isnt it Hamsanandhi -
If it is,, then
A Hamsanandhi for
the extremely romantic Rojavai thaalattum thendral (correct me guys)
the extremely poignant and movieng 'Vedham anuvilum oru naadham'
the extremely affecting 'Piraye piraye'
and one extremely whacky 'yaarigaagi aata'?
one raaga's many shades - all brought out by one thalai - Raasappu!!!
Raaga rasa gnaani Raaja - YOU ROCK MAN - ANY DAY AND ANYTIME
and thats why he told all the idiots
"Naetru illai NaaLai illai
Eppavum naan RAAJA"
"Rojavai thaalaattum thendral" and "Piraiye" Panthuvarali aache?

tvsankar
3rd May 2010, 12:31 PM
Thendralai kandu kolla maanae - Nilavae mugam kaatu

nice lyrics. soft compositiion...........

soft endral idhu soft............

vel
3rd May 2010, 04:38 PM
usha, the softest gowrimanohari ever ! the mantra recitations and the translation by the chorus are awesome to say the least (A capella)? [from wikipedia - A cappella (Italian[1] for In the manner of the church) music is group vocal music or singing without instrumental accompaniment, or a piece intended to be performed in this way.]

Plum
3rd May 2010, 06:22 PM
Recently caught up with this song. The song just elevates itself about 10 levels when IR enters with his slokam. I dont know if his Sanskrit pronounciation is correct, but if this is not the right way to express the emotion of the slokam, pronounciation-wise, the makers of that language should be considered quite naive. He just distills peace, harmony and gentility into a few bars of music there.

tvsankar
3rd May 2010, 06:29 PM
Vel,
Thanks for your response.

Softest - romba romba nejam.

capella - Thanks for teaching vel....

accompaniment - hmmmmmm. ipo dhan indha varthaiyku arhtam kathukaren vel....

vel - thedralai kandu kollu - mudiyara apo
vara slogam

complete version illai....

TV la indha padam - konjam parthen.
indha paatai parthen.
adhula dhan - Slogam full a iruku vel.

DVD la irundhu edukalam nu nenaikaren......

njv
3rd May 2010, 09:53 PM
Unrelated info - but all related to Raaja!

i am enjoying Manadhodu Mano in Jaya TV. Almost every guest there talks about Raaja.

Couple of weeks back, it was "Padayappa Sriram". He mentioned how he used to go to IR's house every day and watchman used to kick him out and one day, IR calls him inside, ask him what do you know about Music and before asking him to perform, asked him to eat with him. He talked about how IR has given pure raaga based songs in a simple form that even a common man can understand!

last week it was manobala - he talked about how IR helped BR when Nizhalgal failed (he launched his own production so BR can direct Alaigal oivathillai) and how IR helped all BR's assistant when they became director (Sundarrajan, manobala etc), how IR used to motivate these young directors and give them confidence and also help them identify song situations.

Seperately, in Hariyudan Naan, few weeks back, all he judges gave advice to all upcoming/aspiring singers. they all mentioned them to listen to songs before 90s, as they have so much technical details and those are the best songs to become a matured singer.

Met a popular sound engineer from North, who used to work with RDB, SC etc and have done many films with IR. He make courtesy call to IR once in a while and when he talk to IR couple of weeks back, IR mentioned that he has slowed down, but its giving him some new ideas! He often used to discuss about how his studio get excited whenever IR comes to Mumbai for recording as they would have some challenging work for what otherwise seems to be a "jing jing jing, la la la" work. This sound engineer is the same guy who did recording for Raakkamma song in Dhalapathi and asked SPB "what the F is this (IR) guy thinking, we dont play these here and definitely cant expect to come and reccord such songs in a day, we need heads up for these"!

bye now...

app_engine
4th May 2010, 08:28 PM
விக்ரம், விக்ரம் (யூட்யூபில்)

The titles extend beyond the song and IR maintains the same percussion sounds with some instrumental overlay :-)

A few of Kamal's on-screen stuff are excellent (way ahead of time) but others are unwatchable now.

In any case, his technical inputs helped directors like MR later IMO.

SJ (with vocal harmony stuff) excels in the chorus and Kamal sings really well and what an innovative ruthra thANdava sound in the end of each saraNam!

Bala (Karthik)
5th May 2010, 12:39 AM
app,
That's a fantastic composition with terrific singing by Kamal.
The charanam is (mostly) a virtual konnakkol, illustrating the inherent rhythmic beauty of the Tamil language, which is also why Tamil is a natural language for rap and hip-hop!
Another stellar example of Raaja designing his sandhams to fit the Thamil language and which is why, even mediocre lyrics don't stick out in his good/great songs.

P.S: Who is the lyricist for this song? Attagasamana lyrics :thumbsup:

app_engine
5th May 2010, 02:30 AM
B(K),

This song came during my first year of job at Palakkad when we used to see almost a movie-a-week at Kovai. They used to show the vikram trailer in the theater next to Gandhipuram bus-stand (don't remember the name, apsara possibly) and we were stunned each time with that!

Fantastic song! Since it was a Kamal-Rangarajan combo, possibly the lyricist was the other Rangarajan (Sujatha - Valee)...I'm not sure, though.

app_engine
5th May 2010, 02:35 AM
I watched also 'மீண்டும் மீண்டும் வா' on youtube.

When I first watched the movie, we got shocked at the picturization (too sexy as per standards of those days). With passing of time (and much more shown on-screen), it doesn't look that way now. Actually, it even looks a lot aesthetic :oops:

SJ / SPB effortlessly render a sweetie while IR was in his innovative mood (the interludes with jathi's, the interesting 7 beat cycle like manasu mayangum / hichki hichki that gives a rolling on bed feeling automatically)

பிரமிக்க வைக்கும் பாடல்!

njv
5th May 2010, 06:07 AM
remember watching this after cutting school (shh....). I loved the movie, ofcourse being a ir-kamal fan what else you expect. This is one album that I always listen to. I dont have quality DVD of this movie. Would love to get one. Raaj Kamal pl release this!!!

Poove Sempoove - Second interlude - WTF.... Enjoying this on my new Bose Speakers!!!

raagas
5th May 2010, 12:15 PM
Which Kamal Haasan film is being talked about now?Lookslike its name is written in Tamil, which i cant understand.

Bala (Karthik)
5th May 2010, 12:31 PM
Which Kamal Haasan film is being talked about now?Lookslike its name is written in Tamil, which i cant understand.
Vikram. The songs being discussed are "Vikram Vikram" and "Meendum Meendum Vaa"

tvsankar
5th May 2010, 12:58 PM
rare no of IR

http://www.esnips.com/doc/9191635a-db60-4680-89e3-5ce2f079ae0b/Saavira-Janumagalu-2

Plum
5th May 2010, 10:16 PM
veeNE veeNE from AlOlam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-VVMc4Pn_k&feature=related)

Nectar on earth - ivLO nAL theriyAma pOchu ipdi oru song iruppadhu.

A song where Janaki's excesses fit in like a perfect glove. Lovely! (video alert: pArthu tholaikKAdhInga.)

Devaraagam
6th May 2010, 12:45 AM
Today,

started to listening...undhan rajiyathil from aadan adimai...and song still on the loop..when i was trying to search in youtube..found this bit song from the same movie..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucqbx_UFs1E

app_engine
6th May 2010, 02:49 AM
சீவி சிணுக்கெடுத்து மாலை முடிச்சு வந்த புதுப்பொண்ணு (வெற்றி விழா)

மலேசியாவும் ஜானகியும் குதூகலமாகப்பாடி இருக்கும் சரளமான பாடல்.

பல்லவி மிகச்சுமாராகவும், சரணம் பிரமாதமாகவும் இருக்கும் பாடல்களின் கூட்டத்தில் இது இடம் பெறத்தகுதியானது என நினைக்கிறேன் :-)

யேசுதாஸ், எஸ்பிபியை விடுங்க, இந்த மலேசியாவுக்கு யாரு இப்போ ரிப்ளேஸ்மென்ட்? சொல்லுங்கப்பா!

The way in which Malaysia ends the katta vaNdi (the last time he sings the pallavi) is the sole inspiration for ALL gAnA songs that Deva sang I think - the two ways of singing "நாலும் தெரிஞ்சவன்டி, நாகரீகம் அறிஞ்சவன்டி, நால்ல்லும் தெரிஞ்சவன்டி, நாகரீகம் அறிஞ்சவன்டி" :-)

jaiganes
6th May 2010, 03:16 AM
சீவி சிணுக்கெடுத்து மாலை முடிச்சு வந்த புதுப்பொண்ணு (வெற்றி விழா)

மலேசியாவும் ஜானகியும் குதூகலமாகப்பாடி இருக்கும் சரளமான பாடல்.

பல்லவி மிகச்சுமாராகவும், சரணம் பிரமாதமாகவும் இருக்கும் பாடல்களின் கூட்டத்தில் இது இடம் பெறத்தகுதியானது என நினைக்கிறேன் :-)

யேசுதாஸ், எஸ்பிபியை விடுங்க, இந்த மலேசியாவுக்கு யாரு இப்போ ரிப்ளேஸ்மென்ட்? சொல்லுங்கப்பா!

The way in which Malaysia ends the katta vaNdi (the last time he sings the pallavi) is the sole inspiration for ALL gAnA songs that Deva sang I think - the two ways of singing "நாலும் தெரிஞ்சவன்டி, நாகரீகம் அறிஞ்சவன்டி, நால்ல்லும் தெரிஞ்சவன்டி, நாகரீகம் அறிஞ்சவன்டி" :-)

In my books Currently we have only Tippu who can be thought of replacement of Malaysia (Idhu varai naan oru pazhaya manidhan from konji pesalaam is when I felt that he can take a good stab at MV's position). Partly Rahul nambiyaar can give it a good shot too along with Ranjith. However they have some unnecessary 'peter' in their voice that they sometimes start singing a proper 'kuththu' and it ends up invariably in 'hip hop area'. But they are getting there...

Bala (Karthik)
6th May 2010, 09:28 AM
Jai,
Agree that Tippu might be a fit but Rahul is not there at all. Even in Rekka Katti Parakkudhu, its Tippu who holds fort. Rahul tries hard but the more he tries, the more he sounds off the mark. e.g

tvsankar
6th May 2010, 11:04 AM
veeNE veeNE from AlOlam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-VVMc4Pn_k&feature=related)

A song where Janaki's excesses fit in like a perfect glove. Lovely! (video alert: pArthu tholaikKAdhInga.)

Plum,
paata kaekanam na - kaekara link kodukanam.

video link kuduthutu - parthudadheenga nu alert pannina enna artham......... :lol: :lol:

prob - KRV kite ilai.. avangaluku SJ voice dhan suit agalai.
adhan prob... :D :oops:

vel
6th May 2010, 11:16 AM
"ennai thottu alli konda" at raj music - what flow in the tune, the entire song just brimms and flows with pure white energy, a childlike glee and merry feeling....free flowing ludes...what a lovel;y orchestration and splending singing by swarnalatha and of course SPB...fantastic product in all ...5 minutes of pure bliss...thanks raja !

tvsankar
6th May 2010, 12:05 PM
ennai thottu - thanks vel
youtube is also nice

Karthick - Iyalbaga nadikum karthick

IR paatai - Rasichu nadichu irupar........

Especially , indha paatula....

i like it......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKrhKZcOlLE

tvsankar
6th May 2010, 12:11 PM
karthick - IR - All are GEMS.........

rajkumarc
6th May 2010, 01:11 PM
Raaja Raani Raajiyam from Antha Sila Natkal sung by Krishnachander & SJ (not sure may be VJ). http://thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00053.html

Lovely duet with a mystic feel, stunning interludes Also, the brief guitar riffs towards the ending are a surprise but very sweet.

thumburu
6th May 2010, 01:52 PM
Raja has rehashed "seevi sidukkedutha" tune several times. "jingidi jingidi unakku", "therke pirandha kiLi" from "innisai mazhai" till "kizhakku velukkudhu" of "Azhagar malai" .
My last Raja song - "Naan oru sindhu".
As a stand alone song, this SindhuBharavi somehow doesnt appeal to me, not when there is a bevy of beauties from IR like "oh vennilaave", "enna satham indha neram", "vaLaiosai kala kala" etc. But when heard in the movie context , it brings a lump in the throat. KB can expertly present complicated knots in life as a riddle . Vairamuthu's lyrics do complete justice to the theme. Raja's genius, KB, Vairamuthu, master vocals by KJY/Chitra , Suhasini's acting all collaborate beautifully to accord Sindhubhairavi a classic status . The second interlude starting with sitar, playing the SindhuBhairavi raga followed by violin "mazhai" would melt even the hardest stone ever.

Plum
6th May 2010, 05:20 PM
jingidi jingidi tune was almost re-used in the same movie as uthama puthiri naanu, although the style of the song differs considerably. Jingidi traces are also seen in EngE nimmadhi from Nadigan

app_engine
6th May 2010, 05:21 PM
master vocals by KJY/Chitra

நானொரு சிந்து பாட்டில் யேசுதாஸ் எங்கே வந்தாரு?

Devaraagam
7th May 2010, 12:38 PM

Plum yen intha risk..lifeley Risk edukalam..but you cannot take a risk of watching IR songs in video..they will collapse all your imagination on the song which you had build based on the music and lyric.

Note: this song was reused in thazhuvatha kaigal as duet JC and SJ.

Devaraagam
7th May 2010, 12:42 PM
Listening goods vandiyiley..(Kunguma Chimzh) so much energy on the musicians, MV and SJ.

Devaraagam
7th May 2010, 12:45 PM

Usha,

you cannot classify like it because, same rule is applicable for the following combinations..

1. kamal - IR
2. Vijayakath - IR
3. Prabhu - IR
4. Ramarajan - IR
5. Mohan - IR
6. Rajini - IR

list goes on..

Plum
7th May 2010, 06:29 PM
kiLiyE kiLiyE from aa raathri (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ2GFhRKBHg)

Bass Guitar, tight rhythm, melody. sari Raja oru pakkam irukkattum

This song sort of underlines app_engine's assertion a few days back about 80's Malayalam - idhellAm nAn vEra endha mozhilEyum indhiala pArthadhillaippA - everyday-moments - even Mahendran's Azhagiya kaNNE had bigger context around the simple "family-having-everyday-moments" together. This is just as it is. No Commentary, no philosophy.
Anju - hmm ipdi irundha anju epdi aayittApla!
Mammotty - casual walk, oru chinna peN kuzhandhaiyin thagappanA rasichu pArpadhu kuzhandhaiyin seyalgaLai - wonderful actor

RajavOda pangaLippu patri appuramA ezhudhaNum

Plum
7th May 2010, 06:33 PM
nEthu horror visual pOttadhukku innikku nalladhA pOttu compensate paNnittEn!

Plum
7th May 2010, 06:40 PM
Keeping with the theme, thumbi vaa (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1lBbkWx0Dk&feature=related)
Again Poornima and Anju, again a young family everyday moments. This time Raja and Balu Mahendra.

I dont need to say much about the song. The visuals are well realised - ivLO nAL youtubela pAkkaNumnu kUda thONaliyE athai chollaNum...

app_engine
7th May 2010, 09:18 PM
Great selections, Plum!

Anju is a very sad reminder of how girls / women get seerazhinjified in film field :-(

tvsankar
7th May 2010, 11:14 PM

Usha,

you cannot classify like it because, same rule is applicable for the following combinations..

1. kamal - IR
2. Vijayakath - IR
3. Prabhu - IR
4. Ramarajan - IR
5. Mohan - IR
6. Rajini - IR

list goes on..

DR,
accept your words........... Very true.( karthick IR nu sollum podhe - neenga sonnadhu nyabagam vandhadhu.

Raaja - kadhaiku than music seiyarar nu. analum.....

Hero vaium consider panrar - i think............

tvsankar
7th May 2010, 11:19 PM
nEthu horror visual pOttadhukku innikku nalladhA pOttu compensate paNnittEn!

paarka vechadhuku kandipa - u should be punished............. :D

ajithfederer
8th May 2010, 02:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQeJhXVb-Vc&feature=related

Thoongatha Vizhigal Rendu - KJY :clap:

rajkumarc
8th May 2010, 08:25 AM
Nice songs Plum. Here is one more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu1aPOjKTuA

Kalkandam Chundil - Onnaanu Nammal
Similar theme, same actors, simple visuals that are fitting for the song.

vel
8th May 2010, 01:05 PM
got the pazhassi raja original dvd from star trak...the kunnathae song played continously for 10 times...sheer majic ... the director has done 100% justice to this majestic tune in abheri/bhimplasi..kaniha is the best choice for this role..she glitters and shows all the passion of a woman yearnig for her husband..montage and lip synching are used in equal mixture by the director, showing he is sensible and sensitive to the mood of the song ...

app_engine
9th May 2010, 10:13 AM
இஞ்சி இடுப்பழகியின் பல அவதாரங்கள் - இன்று தான் முதன் முறையாக தேவர் மகன் முழுப்படமும் பார்த்தேன்.

ஒரு விதத்தில் பார்த்தால், இதை ஒரு சிரிப்புப்பாட்டாகத்தான் இயக்குநர் கையாண்டிருக்கிறார் என்றே சொல்லலாம் :-)

ரேவதி - என்ன அருமையான நடிகை! கௌதமியும் கொடுத்த பாத்திரத்தை மிக அருமையாக செய்திருக்கிறார் :-)

raghavendran
9th May 2010, 11:31 AM
இஞ்சி இடுப்பழகியின் பல அவதாரங்கள் - இன்று தான் முதன் முறையாக தேவர் மகன் முழுப்படமும் பார்த்தேன்.

ஒரு விதத்தில் பார்த்தால், இதை ஒரு சிரிப்புப்பாட்டாகத்தான் இயக்குநர் கையாண்டிருக்கிறார் என்றே சொல்லலாம் :-)

ரேவதி - என்ன அருமையான நடிகை! கௌதமியும் கொடுத்த பாத்திரத்தை மிக அருமையாக செய்திருக்கிறார் :-) :shock:

vel
10th May 2010, 11:21 AM

:sigh2:
enna koduma sir idhu

tvsankar
10th May 2010, 11:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j04Oo_CRwGw&feature=related

tvsankar
10th May 2010, 11:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JVxurtGIhI&feature=related

raghavendran
10th May 2010, 03:21 PM
kodai kaale kaitre....wow :notworthy: :notworthy:

raajarasigan
11th May 2010, 12:56 PM
kodai kaale kaitre....wow :notworthy: :notworthy:oh man... WHATTA SONG!!! IR :notworthy: :bluejump: :thumbsup:

Thalaivaa -- indha paattu Guitar sound tracka neenga kandippa reuse pannanum.. at least U1 :D

Sureshs65
11th May 2010, 06:40 PM
Aaaah. The cruelty of it all. When I am out for 10 days with no access to internet, I come back to find Plum discuss some of my favourite Malayalam songs and Jai discusses 'yaarugagi maata'. :( Lovely descriptions guys. Every song that Plum has put my is something to die for. As he rightly says, the picturisation in all cases of the very common activities lends its own charm to the song.

Plum: Maybe you should also add 'tanal virikkan' to the list now.

As far as 'yaarugagi' goes, Jai has said everything about it. I was also stunned when I first saw that little girl try that song in the competition!!

Sureshs65
11th May 2010, 06:47 PM
Listening to my share of Malayalam songs. 'kadal katrin', 'sivamallipoove' and 'punnara poo' from Malayalam 'Friends'. Each one a gem. I particularly love the very vigorous way 'kadal katrin' is tuned. At the same time it conveys the pathos of the situation very well. The intensity of the rivalry and the intensity with which the friendship breaks deserves something like this, conveying the sorrow as well as the intense nature of the breakup. Many MDs would have gone the sad way but Raja does this masterstroke of placing this song on a superb rhythmic base and suddenly the song tells us the whole story. One more example of what Plum termed as 'narrative integrity'. The orchestration is not present to showcase the genius of the composer but rather to convey the emotions present in the situation. I get tired using the word 'genius' for him but listening to 'kadal katrin' no other word comes close.

Sureshs65
12th May 2010, 12:16 AM
Now listening to the podcast of Raja (link given by irir123) and listening to 'elankathu vessude'. What a song!!!

Sureshs65
12th May 2010, 01:00 AM
Usha,

Which movie is 'saavira janmagalu' from? A superb piece of work.

app_engine
12th May 2010, 02:28 AM
I heard the podcast (courtesy irir123) this morning and one track after a long time -"Mozart I love you" from the NBW.

It's playing through out the day in my mind - while typing something on the computer, while doing some other thing, when eating, during the meetings / conf calls. Never going away :-)

Haunting'nA idhu dhAnyA!

app_engine
12th May 2010, 06:17 AM
Got a chance to listen to 'meen kodiththEril' of karumbu vil after a long time from here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdtKvwoAfgs&feature=related

Interesting to see that this tribalish number too features the same Johny 'Asaiya kAththula' girl (Jayasudha?)...

app_engine
12th May 2010, 06:23 AM
வாட வாட்டுது (சக்களத்தி)

சுதாகர் என்ற போதிலும் இந்தப்பாடலின் விடியோவை வெறுக்க முடியவில்லை :-) அவ்வளவு இனிமையான பாடல்.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG1zG7JAJMk&feature=related

app_engine
12th May 2010, 06:47 AM
நானொரு சிந்து - நல்ல தெளிவான பதிவு youtube'ல் :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtLvzBoXVMA&feature=related

Raja / Suhasini / KSC all excelling in this song (kudos to KB & VM as well)

One of the cases where people got their NA's very deservingly!

Sureshs65
12th May 2010, 10:08 AM
app_eng,

I think the girl is Jayasudha's sister. Don't remember her name though.

'vaada vaatudu'. Aaaah aaah. That's all I can say and that's all is needed to said :)

rayan36
12th May 2010, 10:46 AM
Hi guys,

Can I get the link for the podcast?....

Sureshs65
12th May 2010, 12:36 PM
Here is the link to the podcast:

http://dvdverdictpresents.com/

tvsankar
12th May 2010, 02:42 PM
suresh,
thanks for the link.

savira - film name theiryalai. kaetu solren.

tvsankar
12th May 2010, 02:46 PM
app,
Thanks for the youtube's quality....

Plum
12th May 2010, 05:08 PM
வாட வாட்டுது (சக்களத்தி)

சுதாகர் என்ற போதிலும் இந்தப்பாடலின் விடியோவை வெறுக்க முடியவில்லை :-) அவ்வளவு இனிமையான பாடல்.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG1zG7JAJMk&feature=related

Lovely song. Jaiganes calls IR "namma ooru transporter", implying that his music has the power to recreate an ambience to the last dust spot such that sitting here and listening to the song, you can experience the full impact of the environment/milieu that the song represents. This song is proof of the same.

If you listen to this, and are not transported to a village of yonder times at night, and if you dont feel the biting chill of the winter air , the sheer lethargy of a rural life where, going to sleep, your only worries are finding cover for the chill(and ofcourse, etc etc, which we'll not touch upon in this family forum)., then you are only fit for strategems and treason, as the bard put it.

Every nuance of that one winter night in the protagonist's peaceful rural life, perched on a rope cot, staring at the distant moon is captured. Infact, I havent seen the song and I'd be surprised if the picturisation doesnt involve a rustic young man lying on the cot just outside his house or in the backyard, and imploring his lady love to join him in his blissful existence of peace.

irir123
12th May 2010, 08:58 PM
Hi guys,

Can I get the link for the podcast?....

http://tinyurl.com/radio-IR

pls visit the "Global recognition for IR's music......." thread to post views/comments and lets not clog the forum with comments everywhere

thanks

app_engine
13th May 2010, 01:02 AM
This song is proof of the same.

Excellent description, Plum.

Interestingly, vAda vAttudhu has the benefit of decent lyric for the situation also (which is not the case always and IR typically does the tricks with his tune / orchestration).

Shobha is an actress that one cannot dislike even for a moment. (Possibly this has got something to do with the tragic end also). She is an additional bonus for this song.

It was definitely a cruel joke that she was paired with the likes of Sudhakar on screen! malai and madu sharing same screenspace...

tvsankar
13th May 2010, 02:13 AM
app_eng,

I think the girl is Jayasudha's sister. Don't remember her name though.

'vaada vaatudu'. Aaaah aaah. That's all I can say and that's all is needed to said :)

Jayasudha' sis -Subashini

raajarasigan
13th May 2010, 02:15 PM
Karpoora Bommai Ondru - Keladi Kanmani

What a fantastic composition!! Excellent singing by PS!! Whenever I listen this song, I am :cry:

raghavendran
13th May 2010, 03:04 PM
Karpoora Bommai Ondru - Keladi Kanmani

What a fantastic composition!! Excellent singing by PS!! Whenever I listen this song, I am :cry: :cool2:

AravindMano
14th May 2010, 11:46 AM
Geetanjali Title Score (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHNs-5_I03Q&feature=related) :omg:

AravindMano
14th May 2010, 03:20 PM
"Nagu EndhidhE manjinA bindhu" - naanstaap listening. Whatta song! :notworthy:

Devaraagam
14th May 2010, 04:27 PM
Listening..mel topley from Ivan...good song to listen and do not know why did not listen this much as like appidi..

funny lyrics...

song is starting as stylish number..but slowly moved to kuthu variety then again it goes to stylish...

கால் ஆட்டாமல் பட்டு கேட்க முடியலைங்க...

http://thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00218.html

Sureshs65
14th May 2010, 09:45 PM
AM,

'nagu endide' Heard this on radio at some shop today. It is still quite a favourite with the radio guys as are the songs of 'Namura Mandara Hoove'. The best thing about 'nagu' is the way the free flowing song is contrasted with the rather staccato beat in the background. It would have been really tough for Janaki to sing the song with such a beat going on in the background, in those live recording days. It is not given for every director to get such a high quality score like 'Pallavi Anupallavi' in their very first venture. Raja set such a high benchmark with this score that even he touched this level in other Mani films but never surpassed it. Definitely one of the best scores for a Maniratnam film.

Sureshs65
14th May 2010, 09:47 PM
DR,

Same with me for 'Ivan'. Took some time to listen to the song you mention as well as another kuthu type song ('toolu toolu toolu') in the film. But once hooked, you can't get away from these songs.

tvsankar
15th May 2010, 10:58 PM
Unna suthum kaathadi - Asha Bhosle - Naan solvadhe sattam

Malai nila - IR, Manjari - Kangalum kavi padudhae

tvsankar
15th May 2010, 11:04 PM
Sollum varai kadhal - Manjari, Tippu

nice no.