PDA

View Full Version : Bollywood flicks discussion lounge

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

ajaybaskar
4th June 2010, 10:02 PM
I heard that the movie was influenced by Mahabharatham and Devgan is Karnan, Manoj Bajpai is Duryodhanan..

ajaybaskar
4th June 2010, 10:03 PM
I heard that the movie was influenced by Mahabharatham and Devgan is Karnan, Manoj Bajpai is Duryodhanan..

tamizharasan
4th June 2010, 11:46 PM
maybe you are right. I said they influenced by story telling style of godfather not the story itself.

ajaybaskar
5th June 2010, 01:18 PM
TA,

Both of us were right... Both Godfather and Mahabharatham have been used as references (???) for this movie.

BTW, Chennai theatres have stopped screening 'Kites' following the protest by the 'Naam Tamizhar' iyakkam. This is to condemn the participation of Hrithik in the IIFA.

Plum
5th June 2010, 05:50 PM
Katrrina Kaif kanavula maNNA? Kozhandha aasapadudhu oru natl award vaangi kudungapA!
(Basically, the culprit is biriyanga soplangi winning it for fashion :banghead: ippO kari, tiri, katri ellAm aasa padudhunga :(

kid-glove
5th June 2010, 06:04 PM
http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/30/2010060520100605025647759bb25ae24/Katrina%E2%80%99s-salaam-to-Bajpayee.html

Mahen
5th June 2010, 08:05 PM
TA,

Both of us were right... Both Godfather and Mahabharatham have been used as references (???) for this movie.

BTW, Chennai theatres have stopped screening 'Kites' following the protest by the 'Naam Tamizhar' iyakkam. This is to condemn the participation of Hrithik in the IIFA.

Vivek Oberoi is in sri lanka too..Apparam Mani-yuvan project-ku aapa? :roll: These guys will definitely drag them in

Salman's straightforward answer on why Bachans's were missing in IIFA :lol:
http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/broadband/video/Parties-and-Events/3iTpqa10/3/Salman-Visits-A-Village-In-Sri-Lanka.html

Im abit confused with the whole issue...actually im unclear with the whole Sri lankan issue :oops:

raghavendran
6th June 2010, 08:49 AM
Apparam Mani-yuvan project-ku aapa? :roll:
adhu ennenge projectu :roll:

ajaybaskar
6th June 2010, 10:48 AM
Mani produces a movie with Oberai in the lead. It is directed by his associate Shivakumar. Music is gonna be composed by Yuvan. The film is tentatively titled 'Paki'.

raghavendran
6th June 2010, 05:45 PM
Mani produces a movie with Oberai in the lead. It is directed by his associate Shivakumar. Music is gonna be composed by Yuvan. The film is tentatively titled 'Paki'.wow...talent get recognised eventhough it takes time...happy for u1..he is most deserving :D

kid-glove
6th June 2010, 05:54 PM
I get the feeling Yuvan is really seen as the future by Rahman too. Basing it also on how the former was used in latter's semmozhi song and video too.

Plum
6th June 2010, 06:31 PM
Well, considering it will be years before Rahman becomes past, Yuvn cannot be the future from his perspective. It should be someone in the future who breaks through towards the later half of Rahman's career.
A bit like why Zaheer Khan cannot be the future from Dhoni's POV.

kid-glove
6th June 2010, 06:58 PM
He acknowledges Yuvan's talent in the sense most other contemporary MD's aren't. There's a genuine affinity that translates as appraisal for Yuvan's standing and potential. At least, it referentially registers as such. I can completely understand if it doesn't feel as much for others.

kid-glove
6th June 2010, 07:01 PM
Of course, none of this is to be read as Yuvan's going to be the one who 'dislodges' (an unlikely possibility), and so forth.

I think there is more of a Dhoni-Raina or Sachin-Rogith relationship. If that makes sense.

Plum
6th June 2010, 08:05 PM
Yeah it does.

kid-glove
6th June 2010, 08:34 PM
Udaan. A film from Kashyap camp. Trailer is promising, even it suggests of many different coming-of-age films. http://tinyurl.com/39r5d9m

Apparently it was screened in Cannes, competed for Un Certain regard, an award for directorial debut of merit.

tamizharasan
7th June 2010, 07:06 PM
I think we are wrong about rajneeti's future. It had a tremendous opening beating even 3 idiots and seems to have strong legs. Probably first super hit of 2010.

ajaybaskar
7th June 2010, 07:54 PM
Yes. The film has collected 34 crores in the opening weekend. :roll:

Mahen
7th June 2010, 08:27 PM
I think we are wrong about rajneeti's future. It had a tremendous opening beating even 3 idiots and seems to have strong legs. Probably first super hit of 2010.

:roll: :notthatway: Second to 3I...

Should i watch :think: Im afraid i will not understand the movie :D

Bala (Karthik)
8th June 2010, 08:27 AM
TA/AB,
Appo naama (paadhi) mosam poittoma? :(

Bala (Karthik)
8th June 2010, 08:36 AM
3 Idiots:

Adhavadhunga, i don't read much, especially fiction. I thought Five Point Someone was a good timepass book. Interesting-a irundhuchu.

This film has given a completely different 'idhu' to the book. Apart from the surface level similarities, renduthukkum bayangara vithyasam, especially w.r.t the lead character. The film is an extended moral science session peppered with toilet humor, bad acting, a brand of humor which can be described as urban-indhi-multiplex-metro-paruppu-paarpanargal type.
Sharman Joshi, for me, was among the better aspects of the film. Worst caricature, worst characterization and worst acting award goes to Chatur Ramalingam. Kareena Kapoor outdoes herself yet again in the ugliness quotient. (uaack)

Padam maaberum hit aanadhu Madhavnukku oru plus. Padam nu paatha, idhellam vetu role dhaan

ajaybaskar
8th June 2010, 09:15 AM
TA/AB,

:-(

Idhula innoru kodumai ennanna, NI media is going gaga over Ranbir's 'performance'.. Namma Sreedhar Pillai avanai Michael Carleonenu koopida arambichuttaaru!

AudazJay
8th June 2010, 11:43 AM
3 Idiots:

Adhavadhunga, i don't read much, especially fiction. I thought Five Point Someone was a good timepass book. Interesting-a irundhuchu.

This film has given a completely different 'idhu' to the book. Apart from the surface level similarities, renduthukkum bayangara vithyasam, especially w.r.t the lead character. The film is an extended moral science session peppered with toilet humor, bad acting, a brand of humor which can be described as urban-indhi-multiplex-metro-paruppu-paarpanargal type.
Sharman Joshi, for me, was among the better aspects of the film. Worst caricature, worst characterization and worst acting award goes to Chatur Ramalingam. Kareena Kapoor outdoes herself yet again in the ugliness quotient. (uaack)

Padam maaberum hit aanadhu Madhavnukku oru plus. Padam nu paatha, idhellam vetu role dhaan

The film was that bad? I just got the clear copy last weekend...haven't got the time to watch it yet...ippe athuvum waste-a pocha? :sigh2:

Bala (Karthik)
8th June 2010, 12:01 PM
Audaz,
Naan sonnadha ellam vechu oru mudivukku vandhuraadheenga. Most of the people have liked it.

Appu s
8th June 2010, 12:06 PM
TA/AB,

Idhula innoru kodumai ennanna, NI media is going gaga over Ranbir's 'performance'.. Namma Sreedhar Pillai avanai Michael Carleonenu koopida arambichuttaaru!
Ivaralaam ini quote-lam paanathenga,Namitha pathi recent-aa etho twit pannirukkar :lol:

ajaybaskar
8th June 2010, 12:16 PM
Namitha is hot on and off... Adhaane?

kid-glove
8th June 2010, 12:18 PM
Apart from being preachy sell-out like MB, it's a self-contradicting failure of sorts. Rancho is a hypocritical self-righteous opportunist, and Chatur Ramalingam came off as a much more reasonable, honest prick !

Appu s
8th June 2010, 12:28 PM
Appdi Hot-nnu post pannina mathri theriyaleye :roll: can you check that now?

Plum
8th June 2010, 12:31 PM
Yeah, all that paeans to simple living and education focussing on the simple pleasures of learning - and still Aamir had to get one-up over Chatur and trump him even in the corporate world. Why? Wouldn't the point have been better served if Aamir led a self-contented peaceful teaching life in Ladakh while Ramalingam sweated out corporate pressure for meaningless positions? But then Hirani needs pay-off moments and hence that "Tohfa Qubool karO" pant dropping by Chatur to Aamir.
And what a convenient screenplay that Kareena gets married to the same man she rejected 10 years back exactly on teh day when friends return to see Aamir, and what's more, they ride through to Ladakh all in Sunlight.
Hirani got away with a lot there, just as he did with Lage Raho - that episode where Shergill saves Mirza from suicide taking the cake, cherry and plum.

Sarna
8th June 2010, 12:32 PM
3 Idiots:
The film is an extended moral science session peppered with toilet humor, bad acting, a brand of humor

:exactly:

which can be described as urban-indhi-multiplex-metro-paruppu-paarpanargal type.

what does this mean ? I can see this word in many blogs :?

ajaybaskar
8th June 2010, 12:50 PM
Appdi Hot-nnu post pannina mathri theriyaleye :roll: can you check that now?

replace hot with 'rocker'... :)

MADDY
8th June 2010, 01:35 PM
3 idiots is indeed a convenient storyline with a intent to make it big in BO........i saw 3 idiots as a movie which seized its caricaturized moments and characters........the timing of these moments were obviously for the gallery - chatur's balatkaar speech, madhavan's melting final speech to his dad, aamir turning out topper everytime, teaching lesson to the principal, kareena making her dad feel sorry for death of her brother and finally fungsuk winning chatur - everything was perfectly synchronised to please the audience.......it is a very dumb movie as such trying to drill down the same point for 3 hrs.....

songs, BGM and the delivery scene were the only awful things in the movie - apart from that i liked this movie a lot and Aamir, madhavan were fantastic, as usual :D .........

ajaybaskar
8th June 2010, 01:45 PM
I liked the songs though.. Moitra is one of my picks in bolly..

equanimus
8th June 2010, 02:00 PM
3 Idiots taps into people's disillusionment with the education system (or should I say systemic education?), which happens at some point or the other to most people. It'd have been remarkable if the film had actually rejected (figuratively speaking) the system rather than propose an alternative and a better way to approach the system.

I'm aware that this runs the risk of being seen as a cynical resolution, but the question is why is chasing excellence in education superior to, say, chasing money which is routinely shown its place in films?

Note how the film admits as much in an indirect way. At the end of the day (i.e. film), the truly excellent one is the one who was never interested in getting (nor was in a position to get) a degree. Sharman Joshi is the stand-in for the average student who's able to build a successful career by overcoming personality-type issues. The self-help book-type story if you will. Madhavan of course becomes the artist. The quintessential fantasy of many working professionals. (Except that, here, the fantasy is realised even before he actually gets a degree.) So who's the one who truly succeeded in consummating the effort he put in the engineering course? But of course, Chatur Ramalingam.

Plum
8th June 2010, 04:49 PM
but the question is why is chasing excellence in education superior to, say, chasing money which is routinely shown its place in films?

sariyAna kELvi. magizhndhOm. I'll drop the "in education", lazy me. indha pursuers of excellencenAlE enakku allergy, AmAm.

BTW, konjam kOnAr notes thEvai - so who is the "truly excellent one is the one who was never interested in getting (nor was in a position to get) a degree". The second paragraph doesnt clearly, unambigously say which of the 3 you meant.

Plum
8th June 2010, 04:53 PM
I liked the songs though.. Moitra is one of my picks in bolly..

Moitra is very good but his worst efforts have been for Rajkumar Hirani. I think Hirani has some basic deficiency in his music sense.

Moitra was very good in Parineeta, Hazaron Khwaishen and most of all, Yahaan, a much, much under-appreciated album.

nAm adhA likhna by Shreya poNNu, the deivakuzhandhai(not to be confused with deivathin kuzhandhai Shruti!) - if, given a chance, this doesnt actually melt the Himalayan Glacier and advances Global warming by a few decades, I will quit listening to music

tamizharasan
8th June 2010, 07:17 PM
TA/AB,

AB,
Let me guess here. NI media might have said Ranbir's performance in this movie, is the best we have seen in the east side of the atlantic ocean. Is that right?

Bala
Amaam. Katrina could be potential threat for the national award now.

Mahen
8th June 2010, 08:50 PM
3I nalla ilaya? :roll: :omg:

ajithfederer
8th June 2010, 08:52 PM
Illai-Aama, :lol:.

Enna panna poringa?

3I nalla ilaya? :roll: :omg:

ajaybaskar
8th June 2010, 08:54 PM
Mahen,

Yaen indha reaction? Adhaan Bala theliva oru disclaimer potrukkaare?

Nerd
8th June 2010, 08:54 PM
a brand of humor which can be described as urban-indhi-multiplex-metro-paruppu-paarpanargal type.
Will the same description apply to Crazy Mohan enthusiasts?? I mean not only the films he was a part of but the dramas..

3i was very cliched etc etc but was funny to me :-)

ajaybaskar
8th June 2010, 08:57 PM
3I was watchable for Maddy, Sharman's performance. Moreover, it was way better than some over rated bolly films.

Mahen
8th June 2010, 09:29 PM
Mahen,

Yaen indha reaction? Adhaan Bala theliva oru disclaimer potrukkaare?

Bala started and followed by the rest..athan shock ayiten :) loved 3I very much...

Bala (Karthik)
9th June 2010, 11:06 AM
Sarna,
Paarpanargal = Brahmins

a brand of humor which can be described as urban-indhi-multiplex-metro-paruppu-paarpanargal type.
Will the same description apply to Crazy Mohan enthusiasts?? I mean not only the films he was a part of but the dramas..

Good kostin!
I have vehemently criticized crazy style humor at times - both Kamal-related works and dramas. However, i still find some/a lot if it to be very funny and i wouldn't equate it with the 3I brand of humor though the terminology i've used might be similar :lol:

It had to do with the people i watched 3I with. People who can speak only (some) palakkad Thamizh, who watch only Indhi channels mostly, who were mocking throughout a good part of Mouna Raagam, while lapping up 3I and Doom 2 and are very much looking forward to RajaNeedhi. Nalla makkal, avinga thottam etc but all gloss and no Thamizh stand irritate panniduchu

Even otherwise, the Ramalingam episodes were extremely irritating, not because he was a Tamil but because it wasn't funny at all. And as is always the case up North, they just can't get a Tamil character right

Bala (Karthik)
9th June 2010, 11:12 AM
And i still haven't got out of my Moitra allergy. I have seldom hated a song as passionately as "Zubidubi".

Plum
9th June 2010, 11:30 AM
Basically, toilet humour is a generic term. What was in 3I was a bunch of toilet scenes - there was no humour associaed just put in literal toilet scenes and hope for a laugh or two. I mean, what is the intended humour in a bunch of 35+ pretending to be college going youth urinating at their dean's doorstep?It is not even consistent with their characterisation. It is as if they just made it up as they go and ended up without any ideas.
(NOTE: it is not the decency aspect I am worried about - I am all for toilet humour - but the lack of ideas and complete lack of imagination in putting the movie together)

Cinefan
9th June 2010, 11:48 AM
Nerd,
The crazy brand of humour has it's limitations and can be extremely repetitive but is still much superior to the kind witnessed in 3I.

It was a very ordinary film hyped beyond limits.

Movie Cop
9th June 2010, 01:04 PM
[tscii:ffe671bed2]If there is one area (doesn't strictly mean the only one) where the South Indies ka Sambhar could beat the North Indies ka Naan comprehensively, it is the comedy department. Fersonally, ennaku “Munnabhai”, “3I” rendume pidichirundhadhu, enjoy-pannen-gradhu vera vishayam. Right from the days of Mehboob to the Asrani/Johnny Lever times their kind/brand of comedy always seemed to below par and sometimes running out of ideas compared to our Thamizh counterparts. To me, I’d prefer Amitabh Bachan’s 80’s comedies or even SRK’s light hearted sense of humour over their so called full fledged comedy outings which shows their depth. Kamal/Crazy kind of situational comedies, clever wordplay, ‘comedy of errors’ laagic etc. ellaam beyond their reach, IMO.

Munnabhai worked for me because adhulle comedy forced-uhh irundha maadhiri theriyale. Well defined characters, the situations (however fictitious it is) appeared genuine and hence resulted in humour. The fact that Sanjay Dutt is no great shakes in comedy helped the movie, actually. And "Circuit" Warsi was a riot. (Poor Prabhu, that could have been daunting). There was a proper closure for it's characters/movie amidst it's "moral science" theme.

Regarding "3I" - I get a feeling that Hirani cleverly used "hard hitting (read: crude) comedy" as an excuse to take a pot shot at the educational institutions, grading system, peer pressure etc. Konjam funny/exaggerated tone maindain pannikinne, serious-aana oru matter-uhh kalaichirukaaru... 3I would have ended up as a boring/preachy "moral science" affair if subtlety would have been applied. Hirani seems to know the pulse of the audience.
[/tscii:ffe671bed2]

Bala (Karthik)
9th June 2010, 01:13 PM
Regarding Circuit vs Prabhu, i don't think its an *acting* thing (or for that matter, the role being shrunk by Kamal as popularly perceived). In fact, Sanjay Dutt himself was better suited to the film than Kamal was. Ivvalavu yen, this movie should/need not have been remade. That was a Mumbai film

Movie Cop
9th June 2010, 01:31 PM
Regarding Circuit vs Prabhu, i don't think its an *acting* thing (or for that matter, the role being shrunk by Kamal as popularly perceived). In fact, Sanjay Dutt himself was better suited to the film than Kamal was. Ivvalavu yen, this movie should/need not have been remade. That was a Mumbai film
Even if that role was well written/conceived in Thamizh, whether Prabhu would have been that good-ngradhulle enakku mild-uhh doubt irruku. Yes, it's not necessarily the acting thing (as you said) it's something more than that. Not that Arshard Warsi is a great actor or anything.

And yes mileu was the problem between Munnabhai and Vasool Raja - not a good remake candidate.

ajaybaskar
9th June 2010, 01:41 PM
Yes. Tamizh comedy is miles ahead of the hindi one.. Namma Sakthi Chidambaram pada remakeslam anga super duper hits aagudhunna pathukungo!

raghavendran
9th June 2010, 02:20 PM
Regarding Circuit vs Prabhu, i don't think its an *acting* thing (or for that matter, the role being shrunk by Kamal as popularly perceived). In fact, Sanjay Dutt himself was better suited to the film than Kamal was. Ivvalavu yen, this movie should/need not have been remade. That was a Mumbai filmbut comedy thamizhle bettera irundhudhu..than hindi

arjun885
10th June 2010, 01:51 PM
And as is always the case up North, they just can't get a Tamil character right

same as in tamil films where they never get a malayalee character right??
speaking malayalam as if they don't know the language..

arjun885
10th June 2010, 01:52 PM
Yes. Tamizh comedy is miles ahead of the hindi one.. Namma Sakthi Chidambaram pada remakeslam anga super duper hits aagudhunna pathukungo!

What's ur opinion about comedy in malayalam films??

ajaybaskar
10th June 2010, 02:06 PM
Mallu comedy is more of slapstick type which doesnt go well with me.. It has changed in recent times though...

arjun885
10th June 2010, 02:50 PM
Mallu comedy is more of slapstick type which doesnt go well with me.. It has changed in recent times though...

I think you haven't seen many of the malayalam movies...

Plum
10th June 2010, 02:52 PM
Ofcourse, we dont get the mallu characters right. Vivek is a major culprit in this regard.
For us, mallu women are tea kadai edu pidis who go about in paavadai and chattai with a massive liberalisation policy in between, whom the hero or comedian can grope as he likes in the name of comedy. Mallu guys are ofcourse tea kadai nairs.

That said, there is nothing to presume that Bala Karthik condones these while condemning the North Indies tamizhan characters.

Bala (Karthik)
10th June 2010, 03:44 PM
Arjun,
Of course, as Plum says....

Sarna
10th June 2010, 03:47 PM
Ofcourse, we dont get the mallu characters right.
malabar police, DSP(?)Maran, pallakkad madhavan, and ur fav kukkkaameshwar :wink:

Plum
10th June 2010, 03:48 PM
Again, one should not forget that even in a evolved film industry like Kerala(which I think no longer is the case, though), depiction of tamilians as inevitably uncouth, rapacious or comic Gounders is rampant. veettukku veedu vaasappadi!

Plum
10th June 2010, 03:49 PM
Ofcourse, we dont get the mallu characters right.
malabar police, DSP(?)Maran, pallakkad madhavan, and ur fav kukkkaameshwar :wink:

IG in Company, and a few more I dont remember now. Exceptions are always there.

ajaybaskar
10th June 2010, 03:54 PM
Arjun,

Be it the pattina pravesham series, Hariharan Nagar series, or Meesa Madhavan, the comedy is slapstick if i am not wrong. Few scripts penned by Srinivasan fall into a different category. I dont think there are standout comedians like Gounder or Vadivel (to some extent) in Malayalam who would carry a film on their shoulders.

tamizharasan
10th June 2010, 07:48 PM
Ajay

Comedy in one region can't compared with comedy in other region. Comedy has different flavors in every region. For example crazy mohan comedies are called kadi's during initial days and later on got appreciated.

ajaybaskar
10th June 2010, 08:38 PM
TA,

Understood. But it was only from my perspective. :-)

MADDY
11th June 2010, 08:16 AM
Nikhil is in awe of Abhishek Bachchan! (http://lite.epaper.timesofindia.com/mobile.aspx?article=yes&pageid=34&edlabel=TOICH&mydateHid=11-06-2010&pubname=&edname=&articleid=Ar03400&format=&publabel=TOI)

yaaru indha ambi :roll:

kid-glove
11th June 2010, 08:19 AM
Plays Laxman equivalent in Raavan.

jinju
11th June 2010, 09:10 AM
Arjun,

Be it the pattina pravesham series, Hariharan Nagar series, or Meesa Madhavan, the comedy is slapstick if i am not wrong. Few scripts penned by Srinivasan fall into a different category. I dont think there are standout comedians like Gounder or Vadivel (to some extent) in Malayalam who would carry a film on their shoulders.

of course, vehemently denying ur thought on this, ajay :D

Plum
11th June 2010, 10:37 AM
Maddy, See here for Nigil Thiruveedhiyaar (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2152351#2152351)

Ofcourse, we have started seeing inserted articles in tabloids about this being Apisek's best performance ever (thankfully, they said his best performance ever not the best ever). Today, the peerless judge of talent Nikhil Dwivedi of Anthony Gonsalves infamy has been quoted saying this. One can only imagine what else will start appearing soon

"My Name is Anthony Gonsalves"-nu oru soopper padam vandhudhu theriyumA?

It was the latest in the downward spiral of the director of "Shool". Had Mithun Chakraborthy playing a Kung-Fu-enabled Christian Priest - and much more for your viewing pleasure!

MADDY
11th June 2010, 12:35 PM
Maddy, See here for Nigil Thiruveedhiyaar (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2152351#2152351)

Ofcourse, we have started seeing inserted articles in tabloids about this being Apisek's best performance ever (thankfully, they said his best performance ever not the best ever). Today, the peerless judge of talent Nikhil Dwivedi of Anthony Gonsalves infamy has been quoted saying this. One can only imagine what else will start appearing soon

"My Name is Anthony Gonsalves"-nu oru soopper padam vandhudhu theriyumA?

It was the latest in the downward spiral of the director of "Shool". Had Mithun Chakraborthy playing a Kung-Fu-enabled Christian Priest - and much more for your viewing pleasure!

oh avana ivan

Mithun and christian priest :lol: nalla nadigar dhaan but cant imagine him in this role :lol:

Plum
11th June 2010, 12:43 PM
And on top of it, Maddy, in the climax, when his ahimsa methods fail, he stylishly removes his priestly robes, and assumes (what I imagine is ) a Kung-Fu position :lol:

Youtube kedaichA pOdarEn - must-watch!

Bala (Karthik)
11th June 2010, 12:47 PM
:rotfl2:

Plum
11th June 2010, 12:49 PM
Actually, Mithun is quite a good actor- rates above Pachan for me. As usual, Bollywoodla avarai oru comedy piece aakkittAnga :(

kid-glove
11th June 2010, 01:07 PM
Exactly. But again, there's a carefully assembled agenda among Pachan fans to systematically underrate actors like Mithun, N'shah, Dilip Kumar, et all.

Plum
11th June 2010, 01:10 PM
kid, agree with your overall thought but I prefer pachan(esp the early one) to Dilip Kumar(massively over-rated, Sivaji Ganesan rangekku pEsuvainga avarai :evil:)

kid-glove
11th June 2010, 01:10 PM
I've seen the hilarious kung-fu pose and exaggerated effect after the side kick. :rotfl:

kid-glove
11th June 2010, 01:13 PM
kid, agree with your overall thought but I prefer pachan(esp the early one) to Dilip Kumar(massively over-rated, Sivaji Ganesan rangekku pEsuvainga avarai :evil:)
Even I prefer Pachan (to Kapoors too), but my point was there's no 'privileged thought' in undermining, but a richly propagandist procedure in place there.

Plum
11th June 2010, 01:16 PM
Ofcourse, Kappoorsku Pachan evLavO thEvalai. See whats happening with Beeru Kappoor? :evil:

Yeah, agree with you on the propoganda. Subhash Jha and all - collecting bones and barking for His Master range dhAn.

kid-glove
11th June 2010, 01:22 PM
However I think one cannot undermine Shashi kapoor if they speak in excessive praise of early Pachan roles.

I also prefer Sanjeev kumar to Bachchan. Especially old SK to old Bachchan.

Plum
11th June 2010, 01:27 PM
Shashi, yeah, the exception although he has a more than normal share of inane, Kashmir-Manali-Darjeeling romances.

Pachan held great promise although one dimensional. Even in the beginning of his eventual demise into B and C grade stuff - Zanjeer - the intensity he brings simply transforms the movie from a B Grade pot boiler to something seemingly "intellectual" :lol:

Then MM Desai happened. To me, Prakash Mehra made some of the better masala movies for Pachan than the much-celebrated Desai.

kid-glove
11th June 2010, 01:41 PM
It's fair to say that Prakash Mehra created interesting characters for Pachan.

Shashi's best work were with Benegal. Kalyug, in particular, is a very nuanced (while a much overrated word to describe a performance, one should look at his & Rekha's acting - they really bring out reactions in quiet ways that one expects in real life) subdued Karna performance to my mind. Film is also a gem. (Jha should see this over and over again to see how an adaptation to contemporary setting could be done, with a serious socio-political commentary )

Plum
11th June 2010, 01:50 PM
oH Kalyug is an absolute masterpiece. Benegal in top form. Two movies I remember vividly from childhood D - Kalyug and one more set in Goa with surreal overtones. appO oNyumE puriyalainAlum they were vividly, intensely gripping to watch. When watched later, you just realise what a master story teller this man is even if you strip him of his social commentary tendencies.

Sudhir Mishra started off promisingly as well before going inconsistent. Ditto for Prakash Jha.
By far, Govind Nihalani's loss of form is the biggest thing I miss in Hindi.

Interestingly, all 4 have been handicapped by taking on Bolly stars for commercial viability in their most recent efforts. Ofcourse, Benegal failed even with the lesser stars like Boman and Minissha.
I dont even remember Sudhir Mishra's recent ventures.

Plum
11th June 2010, 01:51 PM
While on Godfather rip-offs, the most hilarious has to be Aatank Hi Aatank with Aamir and Rajni. Thankfully, my memory is wiped completely of anything related to the movie but it would make a good fun watch now.

kid-glove
11th June 2010, 03:06 PM
Never rated Mishra apart from HKA, and I haven't ever liked Jha's work in the sense of HKA or Ardh Satya. I'm inclined to chalk his name off..

Yeah, I got that Goan movie you're talking about, Trikhal. With subtitles..

Plum
11th June 2010, 03:22 PM
Trikaal, it is.
On Mishra and Jha, the keyword is promising. I saw on DD Mishra's first movie, Yeh Woh Manzil Toh Nahin,a fine take on North Indian University campus politics woven through the viewpoint of 3 old men revisiting their campus trying to shake off some old guilt - as trite as it can get - but got a good treatment. Jha always had promising moments - and Gangajaal was good as a whole. Even Apharan had its moments.

No other Television Channel has contributed to shape my movie watching taste as Doordarshan in the 80's. I daresay, I'd extend that to a significant population of the 80's teenagers and children..

kid-glove
11th June 2010, 03:26 PM
I'm very much of 90's generation. I'd still attest DD as the best film education I had in my childhood. I can't name films whose lingering frames remain etched in my memory..

Plum
11th June 2010, 03:45 PM
Oh yeah that could be a thread...let me open one...I would want to let out such lingering frames - some of them probably not even impacttful but just stay there in memory as only childhood memories can stay

ajithfederer
13th June 2010, 12:42 AM
After a very long wait finally managed to watch Satya (1998). Very good.

Manoj and JD Chakravarthy acted very well. Urmila was gorgeous and plain beautiful in the film. Nicely written film. No hiccups whatsoever.

Cinefan
14th June 2010, 11:16 AM
Love Aaj kal:At just a little over 2 hours it's a short film but even then felt the movie was going nowhere in the first 45-50 minutes.

Picked up steam from then on and ended nicely but no way deserves all the praise it garnered on release.Saif was good and so was the songs while Deepika was hot and nothing else.With a weak voice and an expressionless face,don't know how long she can survive as an actress.

On the whole a very average film-not even worth a second watch,forget having it in the collection.

equanimus
14th June 2010, 02:15 PM
but the question is why is chasing excellence in education superior to, say, chasing money which is routinely shown its place in films?

sariyAna kELvi. magizhndhOm. I'll drop the "in education", lazy me. indha pursuers of excellencenAlE enakku allergy, AmAm.
Oh, I'd agree. Here I was trying to argue within the frame of reference of the film, willing to buy its premise of holding up the pursuit of excellence in whatever field one is in. The quoted line actually needs a correction. I meant to question "success in education"; i.e. why is there a need to insist that success will follow if one pursues excellence?

BTW, konjam kOnAr notes thEvai - so who is the "truly excellent one is the one who was never interested in getting (nor was in a position to get) a degree". The second paragraph doesnt clearly, unambigously say which of the 3 you meant.
I think, now, it should be clearer. I meant Rancho.

complicateur
14th June 2010, 09:38 PM
success will follow if one pursues excellence?
Oh! This clears things up significantly.

And - a few thoughts on LSD - http://complicateur.blogspot.com/2010/06/love-sex-and-dhokha-are-sameguy.html

MADDY
15th June 2010, 08:17 AM

And - a few thoughts on LSD - http://complicateur.blogspot.com/2010/06/love-sex-and-dhokha-are-sameguy.html

super review :clap:

raghavendran
16th June 2010, 08:05 AM

super review :clap: :yes:

jinju
16th June 2010, 03:06 PM
revisited doordarshan channel a couple of days back, thanks to Plum's thread...lazy evening with nothing much to do or watch...Tasveer 8 x 10-nu oru akshay kumar padam...he plays a character who has this power of going back to the final moments of a dead man/woman by just looking at the subject's photo for 1 minute and he identifies their killers, etc etc...ada saami, didn't know that bollywood was so bereft of ideas that they've to think up of something as drastuc as this! or is it any hollywood film remake :roll: ...just kept on watching tho the film wasn't any good, to see where it's all headed to (ayesha takia was the other reason :wink: ) and lo, in the climax it's revealed that akki plays a double role...karumam karumam, as if one wasn't enuff :x ! in between all this, another wasted talent of bolly named javed jaffrey is made to look as another caricature in the name of a detective! my wife whose exposure to bolly is very limited, exclaimed after watching akki 'enact' thru the film "ivan ellaam ange eppdi ivlo periya star aanadhu?" :P ! and google search enlightened me that the director of this (mis)adventure was the same man who made Hyderabad Blues :shock: !

Plum
16th June 2010, 05:55 PM
Yes, Nagesh has really lost his marbles. Tasveer-kE ipdinnA, nInga Bangkok to Bombay pAkkaNum!

jinju
16th June 2010, 06:01 PM
Yes, Nagesh has really lost his marbles. Tasveer-kE ipdinnA, nInga Bangkok to Bombay pAkkaNum!

ah the shreyas talpade n that foreigner girl one! i'd heard from some that it is better than Tasveer..now i shudder to even think how it could be :shock: !

complicateur
17th June 2010, 11:26 AM
As Akshay Kumar slid under a pool table in 8x10 tasveer to remind himself of his action hero abilities, my friend next to me anointed him thus: "Seriyaaana Kung Fu-Kuppu da ivan". That was the highlight of that film for me. Just a horrible horrible film.

complicateur
20th June 2010, 11:56 PM
Thoughts on Raavan. (http://complicateur.blogspot.com/2010/06/raavan.html)

Cinefan
22nd June 2010, 11:56 AM
13B:Very interesting story told in a gripping manner,more a thriller whodunit than a horror.

A big :thumbsup: to Madhavan for his performance.

Minor irritants-the unrequired two songs and Poonam Dhillon's acting.

Major irritant-Poonam not discussing about the TV serial with her friends when it has been establised that she is the gossiping kind.Convenient way to keep the suspense alive but a major flaw.

Direction by Vikram Kumar-1st film?Well done.

ajaybaskar
22nd June 2010, 06:01 PM
2nd film. 1st was Alai starring Simbu and Trisha. A perfect example for BO disaster.

raghavendran
22nd June 2010, 06:26 PM
2nd film. 1st was Alai starring Simbu and Trisha. A perfect example for BO disaster.actually 3rd..he did a telugu film with shreya as heroine..it was an avg grosser..but 13b/yavarum..seems to b his first thoug,i have heard many comments that simbhu directed alai :lol:

Cinefan
24th June 2010, 10:44 AM
Mithya:Takes the one liner from Don(Gangster being replaced by his look alike)and spins it in a different way.

Liked the idea of how circumstances can blur the lines between the truth and the perceived truth but it was not gripping enough.

Ranvir Shorey was good and so was the supporting cast while Neha Dhupia was pretty enough as the gangsters moll but was weak on the acting front.

For a small movie, production values was quite good but for me it was more a case of what-could-have-been.

Okay-dokey film.

Cinefan
26th June 2010, 05:55 PM
Fashion:Tacky,cliched,boring.

All designers are gays,all models sleep their way up the ladder,all models drink,smoke and do drugs.Bhandarkar reflects this commonly held perception on screen and gets accolades for great insight.What the f#@%.

Priyanka and Kangana won National awards for this film :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Kangana was pathetic and that's an understatement while Priyanka was slightly better.

Idhu new-age cinema while Madhur is a sought after director.Ayyo saami!

MADDY
26th June 2010, 10:58 PM
Mitya is a very deep movie - it commands multiple viewing IMO :)

btw watched rocket singh for second time on tv - not bad..........except for the over the top dialogues and situations - it was a nice film...........it maKes the same point that we all make - what is business without "people" (customer and ur own employees) :)

but yea, ranbir was still bad - no change on that opinion but i felt director somehow fitted him into the role

Cinefan
27th June 2010, 07:18 AM
Mitya is a very deep movie - it commands multiple viewing IMO :)

Appadiya?Maybe if I get to watch it a 2nd time my opinion might change.

As for Rocket.....,I was quite impressed.There was something in the movie which made me gloss over flaws.Maybe being in the service industry made me relate a lot more.

jinju
27th June 2010, 07:24 AM
Appadiya?Maybe if I get to watch it a 2nd time my opinion might change.

As for Rocket.....,I was quite impressed.There was something in the movie which made me gloss over flaws.Maybe being in the service industry made me relate a lot more.

me too liked rocket singh with all its flaws...don't know why many are against it here in the hub...ranbir? :roll:

Cinefan
28th June 2010, 10:54 AM
jinju,
I like that kid.Repeating what I had posted earlier,it's too early to judge his range and maybe he has limitations but he seems natural and has a charm about him.

kid-glove
28th June 2010, 11:29 AM
Revisited Guru. Bit more impressed than first time, but still stand firm on personal differences with its politics.

Madhavan (in one of the most 'charismatic' scene stealing performances of the decade) sizzles in that showdown sequence in Mithunda's place - Nanaji/Shyam vs Gurukhant. Eats up Abhishek that it needed Mani to not show his full frame together with Abhishek - who pretty much moves all over the place (of course, there's also an instant of 'squirming' here - one still 'seethes' from Shyam's speech) while Madhavan simply holds his place & delivers his punch (literally!). Abhishek does show 'non sequitur' expression and weird face to Balan's character. At other places, imitating Senior to get some masala effect. But it's the old man getup that gave him more credibility (and to best actors, it's often their acting that gives credibility and not the getup. This is especially true of actors like Sivaji, Kamal, N'shah, etc).

I personally think this is one of Mani's blatant 'masala moments'. And yes, it sets up one of the high interval junctures that the second half didn't live up to it (sappy and one-sided for a Mani film). And it completely abandons the openly affectionate tone of first half just as to introduce a conflict. but how 'faux' to paint Guru-esque smear all over the proponent and besmirch their mode of operation - just as to ennoble the titular character and his rules of engagment. This wasn't felt in Nayakan and Iruvar, the latter to my mind has a superb tonal change - high and low - that is unmatched. But even the former had an organic structure to it, with seamless underpinnings of tragedy - Ilaiyaraja's motif tracks contributes non-diegetically and at times, 'takes over' in giving the film a consistent 'tone'..

jinju
28th June 2010, 11:48 AM
kid :clap:

sila times neenga eludhunadhula oru 20% thaan puriyum (ingeyum appdi thaan :P last para sutthamaa nahi nahi :? ) irundhaalum kai thatta thonrum :D

why Maddy, Mithun too ate up bachcha in that scene!

kid-glove
28th June 2010, 12:05 PM
Iruvar's BGM has a sense of history to it that doesn't affect the reading of its character but adds coherent leverage. Personally one of my favorites and has the most Indianized Percussion (and 'southern' as against 'Hindustani' in Jodha Akbar, for example) that fit well. And the songs were audiovisually eclectic..

Guru's score also has a choral ensemble of 'hymns' that fit into the 'overman' context and lays out Mani's revelry of this character.

Raavan/an (watched the film and liked it quite a bit) also suggests a 'revelry' in its title track. Rahman's background composition in general seemed odd at places that didn't fit with Mani's deliberate scheming and tonal change.. And in all three films (Guru, Raavan - tamil and hindi), Rahman's songs were letdown by Mani. One gets the feeling Raavan's just as affected as Guru, still one ponders why extra video footage (song or otherwise) in Raavan/an would have failed in Mani-Sreekar Prasad's eyes. The film, as it is, seems 'less coherent' to junta!

kid-glove
28th June 2010, 12:11 PM
You're too kind, Jinju !

sila times neenga eludhunadhula oru 20% thaan puriyum (ingeyum appdi thaan :P last para sutthamaa nahi nahi :? ) irundhaalum kai thatta thonrum :D

Not nearly a self-defense, but that second para is an addendum to one of the old conversations on the film (that I had with Equa)..

Re.comprehensibility, must improve. Duly noted.

jinju
28th June 2010, 12:24 PM
You're too kind, Jinju !

Not nearly a self-defense, but that second para is an addendum to one of the old conversations on the film (that I had with Equa)..

Re.comprehensibility, must improve. Duly noted.

appdi illa..it gets better with multiple readings, and thats good for a reader (my opinion!) :D have u written more about iruvar? any links?

Cinefan
28th June 2010, 12:27 PM
jinju,
Need to add that kid is more comprehensible than thilak.So he is improving :D

P_R
28th June 2010, 12:29 PM
Paa

Not bad at all. Both Bachchans actually.
idhai yEn ellArum thittuneenga?

kid-glove
28th June 2010, 12:30 PM
On Iruvar, I will write a detailed post later..

I have, in my old avatar (that Cinefan talks about), spoke glowingly of Iruvar and its aspects - only touching it superficially..

jinju
28th June 2010, 12:31 PM
jinju,
Need to add that kid is more comprehensible than thilak.So he is improving :D

i've read some of thilak too surfing the old pages...as odd as it may sound, i've found thilak comprehensible :D

Cinefan
28th June 2010, 12:36 PM
Paa

+1

I didn't post anything on this film looking at the spate of hate comments here.

It's not a great film,Amitabh was good without being brilliant,Abhishek and Vidya made a good pair,kids were kids and yes ,it played to the gallery but so what!It got me involved for a couple of hours and that's the first sign I look out for in deciding if a film worked for me or not.

kid-glove
28th June 2010, 12:45 PM
http://lite.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=8708&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=1185

"Even Paa was watchable."

jinju
28th June 2010, 02:32 PM
Paa

+1

I didn't post anything on this film looking at the spate of hate comments here.
It's not a great film,Amitabh was good without being brilliant,Abhishek and Vidya made a good pair,kids were kids and yes ,it played to the gallery but so what!It got me involved for a couple of hours and that's the first sign I look out for in deciding if a film worked for me or not.

ada +2'nga...same peelings!

Plum n co., pls note :P ...unintentionally u r suppressing and depressing the peelings of fellow cinema lovers on certain films...sometimes, it takes a post from P_R or someone of that stature here for the Cinefans/Jinjus to come out and post their opinions on the Paas/Rocket Singhs/Ranbirs etc....! :D

P_R
28th June 2010, 02:36 PM
By the way I saw parts of Rocket Singh and liked it quite a bit. Oru naal pfull padam pAkkaNum.

raghavendran
28th June 2010, 07:15 PM
abhisek was gud in paa...but the entire culprit is amitabh and his charectirisation... :x

Cinefan
28th June 2010, 07:23 PM
By the way I saw parts of Rocket Singh and liked it quite a bit. Oru naal pfull padam pAkkaNum.

Paarunga.It's a very verbose film,need to watch it without disturbance i.e without screaming kids and nagging wife :D .

It's good without being perfect.There are cinematic liberties but so what,how many people make THAT perfect film.

Plum
29th June 2010, 05:14 PM
Paa-vAA? :roll: :ohmygod:
Feeyaar, nInga nIngaLA dhAN thirumbi vandhirukkIngaLA?

P_R
29th June 2010, 07:07 PM
I actually missed the first half I think. I saw from Abhishek chatting into the night with Amitabh online, till the end of the movie.

It was quite engaging. Nothing at all to complain about in Abhishek's performance. And Amitabh was quite good.

enna ungaLukku pudikkalai ?

He is 12 but but the character behaves like a 8 year old - maadhiri charges-A ?

ajaybaskar
29th June 2010, 07:07 PM
P_R,

I liked Rocket Singh. If not a gr8 film, its certainly a watchable one.. Ranbir inga sollapadra alavukku mosamaana nadigar illai enbadhu en karuththu!

Siv.S
29th June 2010, 07:23 PM
P_R,

I liked Rocket Singh. If not a gr8 film, its certainly a watchable one.. Ranbir inga sollapadra alavukku mosamaana nadigar illai enbadhu en karuththu!
Watched part of Rocket in set max 3 days back, liked it..kandippa full-aa paakkanum.

P_R
29th June 2010, 07:26 PM
Ranbir inga sollapadra alavukku mosamaana nadigar illai enbadhu en karuththu!
வளர்ர பிள்ளைய நாலு பேரு திட்டத்தான் செய்வாங்க. அதெல்லாம் நாம கண்டுக்கிறப்பிடாது.

The scenes I saw like his first client visit and the fallout Ranbir does quite well.

Nerd
29th June 2010, 07:47 PM
Ranbir-kku rocket-la orE oru espresssion dhaanE thruoutaa.. Wake up Sit kooda paravalla, eppayaavadhu sirippaan at least.

kid-glove
29th June 2010, 07:54 PM
Nerd,
Rajneeti paarunga. He'll again maintain a single note through out. :lol2:

P_R
29th June 2010, 07:56 PM
Nerd,
Rajneeti paarunga. He'll again maintain a single note through out. :lol2:

biragAs sA - simeetameen #youprefer

kid-glove
29th June 2010, 08:01 PM
Oh gosh, I thought you were saying something deep :lol2:

Jha (pre-Rajneeti) over Amin (saw wonly two films of his)

P_R
29th June 2010, 08:05 PM
Actually I have only one each.

Chak dE (>) ^n Apaharan for a large value of n

kid-glove
29th June 2010, 08:05 PM
I hear there's an ongoing war between fans of Kruthigai and Appyshake and fans of Beer. So, Beer has made progress in beating near non-Actor and other superficial actor?

P_R
29th June 2010, 08:07 PM
Okay, seat-ai gettiyA pudichikkunga. I liked Hrithik in Koi Mil Gaya.

kid-glove
29th June 2010, 08:09 PM
:OHMYGOD:

ajaybaskar
29th June 2010, 08:35 PM
KG,

Amin eduthadhe 2 padamthaane?

P_R
29th June 2010, 08:37 PM
KG,

Amin eduthadhe 2 padamthaane?

3 I think.
His first film was Ab Tak Chappan (Nana Patekar)

ajaybaskar
29th June 2010, 08:40 PM
Oh.. I thought Chak de was his debut.. Was Revathy the female lead?

kid-glove
29th June 2010, 09:07 PM
Heard good things about Ab Tak Chappan. As someone who likes RGV, I need to check out these little RGV dollies from The Factory..

raghavendran
30th June 2010, 08:22 AM
Oh.. I thought Chak de was his debut.. Was Revathy the female lead?I ALSO THOUGHT SO AJAY...illiya?

jinju
30th June 2010, 09:06 AM
Heard good things about Ab Tak Chappan. As someone who likes RGV, I need to check out these little RGV dollies from The Factory..

tautly written and equally well directed and enacted...except that it loses steam towards the end. Nana at his usual best, and some interesting support characters/actors in the cast as is the norm with any gud rgv movie...do watch it! the promise was there, right from this first film and shimit along with sriram raghavan are the only rgv proteges who have kept it up even after moving out of the camp i think!

k_g, have u watched 'D', ur take? i found parts of it engaging... randeep hooda lukd promising to me, though wooden at times...there's something about him..caught glimpses of him in Risk too, liked him there also..

kid-glove
30th June 2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks jinju.

MADDY
30th June 2010, 03:15 PM

yean - nalla dhaane pannaan ambi :)

P_R
30th June 2010, 03:31 PM
MADDY, neenga namma settu :lol2:

raghavendran
30th June 2010, 06:48 PM

yean - nalla dhaane pannaan ambi :)ade po paa..kozhaindhainge padam..adhule avan rombe kozhandhe thanama panniruppan...avan sarakku avvolodhaan :P

AudazJay
1st July 2010, 12:09 PM
Finally watched 3Idiots. Engaging in most parts, annoying at some.

Aamir was at his usual best-it's amazing that he could pull off the college boy role even today. He is of course the soul of the film. I'm not sure if the film would have worked with a lesser actor but Aamir is definitely the reason to watch this film.

Sharman Joshi has an impressive role and he was brilliant in it, while Madhavan was a disappointment :cry: After 13B, I genuinely thought Maddy would have a better prospect in Bollywood nevertheless, he seemed out of place and practically had nothing much to do except to laugh at Aamir's antics. The scene where he tells his dad about his ambition is the only saving grace for him.

Kareena was another sore point in this film. Do all heroines who wear glasses need to look grim and nerdy at all times? Seriously, I could never understand what the directors r trying to prove through this :? Preity wore the ugly glasses in Kal Ho Naa Ho and her character was pretty much the same...a little less annoying than Kareena's here perhaps.
In fact, I've always preferred Kareena in serious roles...and I have only 1 reason for that-she can never handle comedy to save her life.

Boman Irani is good. He reminds me of one of my former lecturer with the funny hairdo. But again- his role and the "unimportant-work-to-be-done-in-the-7 1/2-minutes" sounds too ridiculous...that bring us back to the film...

Frankly speaking, I had mixed feeling about this film as a whole. Hirani generally wanted to make this into a light-hearted comedy. Nevertheless, there is a difference between being funny and being ridiculous.

Funny:-
1) The scene in Joshi's house where the mom uses the same spatula she cooks with, to scratch her husband's armpit and the reaction of Aamir and Madhavan to it.
2) Aamir's definition to "machine" and "books";
3) The scene where they gate-crash to a wedding only to find that it's their professor's daughter's wedding and Aamir's explanation as why they were there;
4)Chatur's speech :rotfl3:

Ridiculous:-
1) The students, including the professor digging into the books to seek out the meaning of the "something-Farhan" and "something-Raju". Man, even I knew that Aamir is pulling a fast one there.
2)The child-birth scene esp the saving of the baby with the "All iz well" chants.
3)The whole Javed jaffrey and the father's ashes scene.

All said and done, Hirani has a point to say through this film and he delivered it extremely well. I'm glad Hirani has chosen to narrate the heavy subject in a humorous manner rather than being too preachy about it. But wish he had taken more care in making some of the scenes a little more logical.

My final take on this film- it's really worth watching if you could ignore the mild flaws here and there. I wouldn't mind watching it again though :D

kid-glove
3rd July 2010, 05:31 PM
Watched "Rann"

A case of what could have been. RGV 'expands' the Madhur bhandarkar tropes to a Godfather prototype (a favorite pet theme of his) and a highly stylized tone, both remain the surviving signature styles of the otherwise frustrating (Vastly talented) filmmaker. To put it in bare terms, It's a lop-sided melodrama with all the signature shot styles (those weird many shots centered on Television like a Cronenberg or Japanese horror film!) and editing pattern you'd expect in a RGV film. But this very much disservices the seriousness of the issue at hand. The alarming and disappointing fact is that it's about press and media is merely incidental! A bit more refinement in its politics and a bit more sensitivity in its themes (and control & minimalism in stylization, especially the awful soundtrack!) would have greatly improved this film. You always crave more for this particular subject. One feels this type of handling, like the shot circling the worn-out deeply shaken Amitabh (in a fine underplayed turn) walking into his office after knowing some truth about his son (standing-in for Sonny Corleone) doesn't hit half as much for all its craftsmanship. Precisely because of the predictable route that some of the characters take. Sudeep, while refreshing in his looks from all the 'plastic stars', and in his screen presence reminds one of the iconic Raghuvaran in Shiva (but this isn't a completely dark villainous character at all!) or Chakraborthy in Satya (but Suddep's character is dissimilar here as well), falls short in being a Sonny. Deshmukh does well in a limited role that's apparently parallel to Michael of the 'epic'. This limited understanding diminishes RGV's reverence for the Gangster epic that he so often borrows and steals from. Others like the corrupt son-in-law (played by Rajat Kapoor, who is mighty fine), the comedian in the office, the moonlighting secretary, corrupt competitor, honorable politician, complete slimeball politician, one-dimensional wives/girl friends etc are broad stereotypes that RGV (Despite the tone of this post, is still a big favorite of mine) so often churns out.......

kid-glove
3rd July 2010, 05:48 PM
The long shot of Amitabh delivering the hard-hitting speech for the channel. :clap: Vintage stuff. It has to be said his screen presence (that definitely "arrests" RGV's closeup fixation and fascination for extremely controlled lighting that accentuates the actor's facial features a certain way) and majestic delivery suits this type of roles to the T!

kid-glove
3rd July 2010, 07:07 PM
Dil Se revisit on the cards.. :boo:

m_23_bayarea
6th July 2010, 08:45 PM
Saw KITES yesterday. Fabulous movie! Hrithik just rocked... 8-)

kid-glove
9th July 2010, 12:01 PM
Watched Stepmom once in Star movies (adhu oru kaalam). It was 'meh' at times but sorta okay I guess.

But now Johar has now got the rights to remake into a 'desi' (revisionist term) multiplexed version of it. As with johan, it's NRI-ized.

Here's the trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsx4gkOEEfI

"The horror ! The horror !"

Cinefan
9th July 2010, 12:31 PM
Qurbaan:An interesting film marred by some in-your-face flaws and rank bad acting by Kirron Kher,Om puri and Vivek oberoi.

Ideally the film should have started with Saif and Kareena being shown as already in a relationship instead of a rushed through romance.

Saif piggy backs to the US on Kareena's back,is it so easy to migrate just because your wife has a US citizen ship!Looked unconvincing.

They buy a posh house as soon as they land up in the US with just Kareena working,totally illogical.

Which terrorist with bombs in their bags will move about covered from head to toe in typical muslim attire drawing attention to themselves?????Kirron Kher doing that to herself and the other 3 looked so much out of place.

And what was that about giving back stories to Om and Saif-justification in becoming a terrorist?Nonsense,ottave ille.

The film had it's moments executed very well but if Rensil had made a film where the above questions had not come to my mind while watching it instead of later,it might have turned out differently.

Fanaa:Saw this on a Volvo bus from Hassan to Bangalore yesterday night.The operator kept fiddling with the volume and so a majority of the dialouges went unheard.

The only thing good about the film was Kajol-right from her looks to her hair,expressions,body language,dance moves ,everything was attractive.

Other wise a very ordinary film.The relation ship between Aamir and Kajol was very cold and devoid of empathy,Aamir had 3/4 stock expressions which he used throughout the film,Kirron Kher like in Qurbaan was over the top while Tabu was irritatingly stiff.

Another over the top performance was by Sharat Saxena as Tabu's compatriot or was it boss?

Thank God,unlike Qurbaan there was no attempt to give a back story and justify Aamir becoming a terrorist.

Add some flaws like suddenly the ATF getting a sketch of Aamir in the climax,pray how!,Tabu telling Kajol that they will come and meet her in the morning despite knowing that she is in possesation of device they are after and an important terrorist is on the loose and will def attempt to catch up with Kajol.

Even the climax left me cold.

The film reiterated that Kunal Kohli is a very average director and the enjoyable Hum Tum was an aberration.

Imagine this guy ripped apart Hey Ram on Zee a decade back. :D

kid-glove
9th July 2010, 03:01 PM
Fanaa is crap in portions & help gestate strict reservations of Aamir's acting capabilities. Johan's involvement in Kurbaan leads me to believe it'd be wholesome crap. :sigh2:

Whatever happened to *that* Om Puri, who played intense roles with effortless ease? Find him deadpan, laborious and ineffective these days..

Plum
9th July 2010, 03:03 PM
kid, Om Puri has got old. Plus domestic troubles with wife. Divorce etc.

kid-glove
9th July 2010, 03:05 PM
Oh! :(
I mean it's unbelievable that Om got overshadowed by Bharathiraja wrt Yuva/AE..

raghavendran
9th July 2010, 03:29 PM
Oh! :(
I mean it's unbelievable that Om got overshadowed by Bharathiraja wrt Yuva/AE.. :shock: :thumbsup:

P_R
12th July 2010, 04:13 PM
Caught parts of Koi Mil GayA

Reaffirmed liking of Kiruthigai.

Plum
12th July 2010, 06:43 PM
Kid, just to add to his woes, om puri sufferred a burglary at his home last week - latest news!

Siv.S
12th July 2010, 06:58 PM
Saw Manorama six feet under.Fantastic movie,not a edge of your seat thriller.. but the narration and the performance are really good :clap: :clap:

Bala (Karthik)
13th July 2010, 10:34 AM

Crime-rate jump alert

Flau(m), oor periyavar neenga, edhavadhu mandhirichu gindhirichu vidunga....

anbu_kathir
13th July 2010, 10:41 AM
...Kurbaan leads me to believe it'd be wholesome crap. :sigh2:

LOL

http://www.thevigilidiot.com/2009/11/21/kurbaan/

:lol:

Sarna
13th July 2010, 10:44 AM
rab ne bana de jodi - time pass movie :cool2:

for me, after annaavru, vaathiyaar, thalaivar and nammavar.... sharukh is one more charismatic actor in India 8-)

P_R
13th July 2010, 11:39 AM

Crime-rate jump alert

Flau(m), oor periyavar neenga, edhavadhu mandhirichu gindhirichu vidunga....

silRans role podhuvA enakku pudikkin (iLagina manasu, vegetarian illiyA).

OTOH Dhoom maadhiri coolness ellAm punishable offence.

littlemaster1982
13th July 2010, 12:05 PM

:rotfl2:

Bala (Karthik)
13th July 2010, 12:05 PM
Saalni :razz:

complicateur
13th July 2010, 12:30 PM
thOda difference irukku. Saalni vanthu Silrans to aduls. Kiruthigai vanthu aduls to silrans. Solpa vithyaasam maadi. (yappA therinja ella laanguvEj-um reNdu sentence-la ees pannitom).

P_R
13th July 2010, 12:39 PM

indiyAvin edhirkaala thooNkaL :kick:

complicateur
13th July 2010, 12:47 PM
indiyAvin edhirkaala thooNkaL :kick:
:LOL:

Bala (Karthik)
13th July 2010, 12:51 PM
PR,
Theiryin, indha reaction-kaaga thaan ketten! Enna sadism (enna chonnen!)

P_R
13th July 2010, 12:57 PM
Children's dreams getting busted
Fraternal/Filial separation

idhellAm enakku defencelessly weak points

sumaaru sollappattA kooda dhukkam thoNdaiyai adaichurum.

OTOH lousematter ellam evvaLO pizhinjaalum summA gun maadhiri nippEn.

raghavendran
14th July 2010, 08:25 AM

indiyAvin edhirkaala thooNkaL :kick: :lol:

19thmay
14th July 2010, 10:02 AM

Yen naangellam tender illaya? :twisted:

Having said that naan pona sunday-la irundhu eggetarian-a convert aaiten.

Plum
14th July 2010, 11:21 AM
Bala, avaru oru maasam kaanaama ponaar. Andha gapla yaaru enna mandhirichaangannu theriyala. Adhu ennannu therinjaa dhaan counter mandhram poda mudiyin

Plum
14th July 2010, 11:23 AM
Children's dreams getting busted
Fraternal/Filial separation

idhellAm enakku defencelessly weak points

sumaaru sollappattA kooda dhukkam thoNdaiyai adaichurum.

OTOH lousematter ellam evvaLO pizhinjaalum summA gun maadhiri nippEn.
Kudiyirundha kovil-la railway stationla annan thambi piriiyarachE?
:samepinch:

Sudarsh
14th July 2010, 09:24 PM
Recently i saw Karthik calling Karthik and Rann both amazing movies just loved the way RGV potrayed the media in Rann a very powerful role for Amitabh and Karthik Calling Karthik was also very good a different type of story... Farhan is simply amazing and deepika acted really well in the role :wink:

kid-glove
14th July 2010, 09:31 PM
Can't help but I have to say while reading this,

the way RGV potrayed the media in Rann
<unbearable background sound goes here> I could almost feel it. :lol: That's the RGV we see & hear here. Hope something changes in this regard in case of RC..

a very powerful role for Amitabh
Disagree. It's largely passive, and of a patriarchal figure who loses control and equanimity of his mediahouse that leads to - well whatever happens (why spoil the fun?!) And Amitabh fits to T (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2172328#2172328). Amitabh exudes power because of his immaculate dialogue delivery. But despite the content, the tone of speech is poignant and reeks of old-age impotence. :notworthy:

Sudarsh
14th July 2010, 09:33 PM

the way RGV potrayed the media in Rann
<unbearable background sound goes here> I could almost feel it. :lol: That's the RGV we see & hear here. Hope something changes in this regard in case of RC..

Disagree. It's largely passive, and of a patriarchal figure who loses control and equanimity of his mediahouse that leads to - well whatever happens (why spoil the fun?!) And Amitabh fits to T (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2172328#2172328). Amitabh exudes power because of his immaculate dialogue delivery. But despite the content, the tone of speech is poignant and reeks of old-age impotence. :notworthy:

well u know both those films provided us something very different to see and praised by the critics ofcourse opinions differ and i can respect that :wink:

Sudarsh
14th July 2010, 09:34 PM
[quote=Sudarsh]the way RGV potrayed the media in Rann

well u know both those films provided us something very different to see and praised by the critics ...ofcourse opinions differ and i can respect that :wink:

kid-glove
14th July 2010, 09:42 PM
I didn't mean to poke in. Just offered my views. If more people watch it and voice theirs, all the good..

I rate hubbers here over almost all critics out there ;-)

Super Nayagan
idhellam apdiyE varradhu dhaan la :D

Sudarsh
14th July 2010, 10:00 PM
I didn't mean to poke in. Just offered my views. If more people watch it and voice theirs, all the good..

I rate hubbers here over almost all critics out there ;-)

Super Nayagan
idhellam apdiyE varradhu dhaan la :D

cool bro i appreciate it when people share their views :thumbsup: How did u find the movie overall though both Rann and Karthik?

kid-glove
14th July 2010, 10:04 PM
Both films are strictly 'one time watch', IMHO..

Nerd
16th July 2010, 08:10 PM
Udaan is getting positive reviews from everyone :2thumbsup:

Plum
16th July 2010, 11:10 PM
Anurag Kashyap's promotional tactic for Udaan:
A special screening of a semi-porn movie for 200 selected teens
:)
EnnA oru revolutionary thinging :bow:

raghavendran
19th July 2010, 06:57 PM
Anurag Kashyap's promotional tactic for Udaan:
A special screening of a semi-porn movie for 200 selected teens
:)
EnnA oru revolutionary thinging :bow: :clap:

jinju
19th July 2010, 11:09 PM
[tscii:0522878b85]unearthed some crackers from rgv's blog, for ur reading pleasure :D :
1. Q: You really need guts to release RC in 2 parts.
RGV: Whether its Guts or Stupidity we will know after the 1st part releases. :rotfl2:

2. Q: Whenever two people meet there are really six people present. There is each man as he sees himself. Each man as the other person sees him and each man as he really is.
RGV: In my case, even when I am alone I am 6 people. I am what I am, I am what others think I am. I am what I think others think I am. I am what I aim to be I am. I am what I was I am and I am what I think I am and I am. :confused2:

3. Q: Do you think Mani Ratnam knew ‘Ravan’ won’t work.
RGV: Like the wife is the last to know about what’s happening with her husband. The film maker will be the last to know about what’s happening with the film. :lol:

4. Q: Can you send me your pic? I want to pray to you everyday.
Ans: Not a bad Idea. I am atleast slightly better looking than Ganapati. :shock:

5. Q: Ego fills Head, Greed fills Heart, Lust fills Mind, Jealousy fills Eyes, Hatred fills Body.
RGV: All put together makes us nice and wonderful human beings. :thumbsup:

6. Q: Nietzsche in his last days became insane.
RGV: I won’t have that problem because I was born insane. :D

7. Q: You present yourself as an emotion less person and then how come your background score resonates waves of emotion.
RGV: Arrey Rama, Krishna, Bhagwan, Jesus, Mary, Allah. I never ever said I am not emotional I just said I can control my emotions. Whenever I feel an emotion I zoom out from myself and study my emotions so that I can put them to better use. If emotions are a disease, I play doctor to myself.

8. Q: I have to disagree with you that one can control his own thoughts.
RGV: I was talking about me buddy and not about uncontrolled thinkers like you. :poke:

namma TMkkum ivarukkum oru potti vechaa eppdi irukkum![/tscii:0522878b85]

Cinefan
20th July 2010, 11:28 AM
Khamosh:Vidhu vinod chopra's debut in 1985.Think this and Parinda are the only two good films he ever made.

A murder mystery set in and around a hotel in pahalgam,Kashmir amidst a film shooting unit.

Had enough red herrings thrown in to keep me guessing till the very end.Had an ensemble cast of Nasser,Shabana,Amol,Pankaj kapur,Soni razdan.

Naseer's acting looked odd,don't know why while Shabana was clearly wasted.

Scene stealer was Amol Palekar,that man's face can generate laughs,ooze innocence and also show anger/hatred damn well.

ajaybaskar
21st July 2010, 08:39 PM
Some people say Udaan is the best bolly movie of the year. Has anybody seen it?

Ramakrishna
21st July 2010, 08:47 PM
Has it released in Chennai?

Cinefan
23rd July 2010, 04:53 PM
Ishqiya:Very very impressive film.In the climax oru rendu logic questions came up but can be neglected!

Very good performances by the lead trio,Nasser was solid as ever,Arshad Warsi was damn good while Vidya Balan was a revelation.

Of course I have liked her before in Paa,Lage Raho Munnabhai,Salaam-E-Ishq and Parineeta, but as the fiery Krishna here she was really impressive.

The rustic,sharp dialogues,the rousing BGM(it gave me a high in certain scenes),the locations,the twists all came together nicely to make a damn good film.

My third Vishal Bharadwaj film(though he is only the producer,writer for this with his one time assistant directing)and I am getting more and more impressed with this guy.

great
24th July 2010, 06:44 PM
Has it released in Chennai?

yes,ofcourse!!

Siv.S
24th July 2010, 06:55 PM
Ishqiya:Very very impressive film.

My third Vishal Bharadwaj film(though he is only the producer,writer for this with his one time assistant directing)and I am getting more and more impressed with this guy.

+ Music .. watched it second time last week,found it interesting than first viewing... :thumbsup:

Plum
24th July 2010, 10:56 PM
Dabaanggg seems to be from the Kashyap family!

Anurag's younger brother is directing this Salman Khan vehicle. ParavA illai Kasyap family name damage paNNa oruthan vandhuttAn :lol:

littlemaster1982
1st August 2010, 01:59 AM
3 Idiots - Though the book (FPS) was not a great piece of literature, it was a good timepass. Couldn't say the same about the film.

Sid_316
1st August 2010, 12:40 PM
Saw udaan... really good :D. A sensitive theme well handled :) Everyone has done their job well.. Amit trivedi's music also helped the film a lot .Writing was great imo.. A very different and a novel attempt .Recommend to all :thumbsup:

MADDY
3rd August 2010, 08:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugdn5sG4gVU

Aisha trailer - Abhay looking good, Amit sounding good - lots of espettations

Plum
3rd August 2010, 08:13 PM
Maddy, BPM is eagerly hoping that Aisha flops because they see Abhay as a threat to Abisek's "iconic status". Serious. Not joking. Idhukkagavadu, me support aisha-yA!

Sarna
4th August 2010, 02:06 PM
Raavan - editing is worser than the tamil version's :roll: most of the important scenes those are very impressive in tamil looked amateur in hindi because of very poor editing ... for example the climax bridge fight :bangcomp:

what happened to 7 time national award winner A Sreekar Prasad ?????????

Abhishek(as bheera) is not as irritating as Vikram( as veera)

Vikram(as dev)'s acting is really amateur as tough cop.... on other hand Prithvi(as dev) is pretty cool and his acting was good.

Aish - no difference in both cases

The actor who is a replacement of Prabhu is really funny and made me to :lol: at many places :clap: :clap:

Govinda in hindi and karthik in tamil - both are unfunny :|

Worse editing made this film to look worser than tamil version .... Amitabachchan pulambal gnaayamdhE'n :yes:

Like KB, Barathiraja, Balumahendra.... Mani also lost his cinematic vision :| :|

MADDY
6th August 2010, 06:58 PM
Aisha review - naa nenachha madhiriye aacchu, its more close to clueless than Emma :-)

Seriously don’t expect any resonances of Jane Austen’s 1815 novel though. The outcome’s more akin to Hollywood’s Alicia Silverstone movie Clueless (1995) which yuppydated the Victorian literary classic about a girl who’s such a busbody matchmaker that she nearly ends up making a ghastly goulash of her own life.

aana naaa bayandha madhiriye solraaru - i felt Abhay was a misfit in this venture due to his over-eagerness to do a mainstream film :-( :

Of the cast, the performances are a mixed Vuitton bag. Abhay Deol is disappointingly vapid, as if he had gatecrashed into the wrong party

http://passionforcinema.com/aisha-movie-review-some-like-it-hotty/[/tscii:d6c3f803da]

MADDY
6th August 2010, 07:04 PM
Boys aren't a neglected lot in this relentless chick flick. To begin with, I cannot imagine a better Knightley than Abhay Deol. Like Aamir Khan [ Images ], he's fast acquiring the image of someone whose films are something to look forward to. And though it's a relatively uncomplicated role for the actor, it's cool to watch him out of his comfort zone, namely unconventional cinema.

adede indha comment kooda nalla irukke :clap:

http://movies.rediff.com/report/2010/aug/06/aisha-review.htm

if he really comes out trumps with roles out of his zone, then i would feel assured abt his stature above Surya, Madhavan etc 8-) .....

raghavendran
6th August 2010, 07:22 PM
Boys aren't a neglected lot in this relentless chick flick. To begin with, I cannot imagine a better Knightley than Abhay Deol. Like Aamir Khan [ Images ], he's fast acquiring the image of someone whose films are something to look forward to. And though it's a relatively uncomplicated role for the actor, it's cool to watch him out of his comfort zone, namely unconventional cinema.

adede indha comment kooda nalla irukke :clap:

http://movies.rediff.com/report/2010/aug/06/aisha-review.htm

if he really comes out trumps with roles out of his zone, then i would feel assured abt his stature above Surya, Madhavan etc 8-) ..... :evil:
but still he is a gud talent

Cinefan
9th August 2010, 12:13 PM
Raavan: Saw this in the backdrop of relentless propaganda on how bad the film and Abhishek are,how the tamil version is superior,lot's of posts in the hub pro and against the film and of course k-g's 'cracking the narrative' posts :D

So there is a fair chance that my mind was attuned in expecting a average film.Turned out to be a decent watch and Abhishek was not bad at all.

Of course there are flaws galore:the first half an hour was clueless with Abhishek and Govinda looking like caricatures,Aishwarya looking old and over made up and Vikram strictly mechanical.
Then the film got into groove,Abhishek turned out to be ok except for the bak-bak-bak routine(will blame Mani more for this),Vikram slid into the role quite well and Aish continued to look old and over made up but was not grating.

Priya Mani was impressive(would have made a better Ragini) and so was Ravi kissen.

Music was strictly ok with the placement and the picturisation of the Behne De song being inapproriate.

The relation between Beera and Ragini(the most important aspect of the film)was not brought out properly at all.What is it that Abhishek had for her-love,admiration or lust???

How Vikram and Beera escape from the bridge collapse was also not clear.How is it that Beera came out faster than Dev from the valley??????

The locales were also an irritant.Where the hell is the story set???
Some times it does not matter but in Raavan,the lack of roots kept popping up.

Also,it's all ok to say let's cut the backstory short and get into the point straight away but the audience has to be convinced on this.Here,the narration was begging for Abhishek's background to be told.All those "we are poor,you are rich","we are dark skinned and oppressed" was not at all convincing.

With me unable to root for either Beera Or Dev,it took away the connect from the characters.

To wind up,it's not a bad film at all but with some one like Mani at the helm it could have been far better.The one thing I will take away from this film is the outstanding cinematography.

Kaminey: freakin' brilliant film.The climax was a bit messy and chaotic but will not take away anything from an outstanding narration.As Charlie,must be Shahid kapoor's best performance till date and even Priyanka Chopra was impressive.But it's the other characters which stood out esp Amol Gupte as Baphu and Chandan Roy Sanyal as Micheal.

My 4th VB film,Maqbool,Omkara and his written/produced Ishqiya being the other three.This guy is too good.eagerly awaiting 'Saat Khoon Maaf'

tamizharasan
9th August 2010, 08:22 PM
I really do not why so much bad mouthing about 3 idiots in the hub. It is a very good movie. The great thing about Aamir Khan is, the selection of his movies. His movies are not only critically acclaimed but commercially also very successful. No one walks the line (drawn between critically acclaimed movies and commercially viable movies) better than Aamir Khan does.

Plum
9th August 2010, 09:44 PM
AdhellAm sari but 3 Idiots is an empty vessel.

Nerd
10th August 2010, 09:09 AM
Kashyap sir is back - That girl in yellow boots trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxvwR1Uq1GQ).

Very very promising :clap:

P_R
10th August 2010, 11:24 AM
Kashyap sir is back - That girl in yellow boots trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxvwR1Uq1GQ).

:clap:

but enakku andha ladies-ai pudikka maatikkudhu.

Plum
10th August 2010, 11:26 AM
yAru andha Kashyap girl-friendA?
enakkum pudikkalai. But avarukku pudichirukku - adhAn mukkiyam!

P_R
10th August 2010, 11:28 AM
indha mahi-gill-ai vachu padam eduthA avar latchiyathukku izhukku vandhurungaLA?

Cinefan
10th August 2010, 11:54 AM
Kalki is the co-writer of the movie.Supposedly some explicit scenes and dialogues has been leaked on the net.

anbu_kathir
10th August 2010, 11:57 AM

Paatha oru memento feeling varla?

kid-glove
10th August 2010, 12:35 PM
The Trailer is brisk paced and seems much more 'kinetic' than the film. It's sorta like DevD trailer in this regard. Although this film seems deliberately Avant-garde like No Smoking, even if not surrealistic. My guess is it will pan a bit slowly. And unlike DevD, seems less mainstream (I don't really like the work of Digital Video here). Evident in 5 minute motley of different scenes from the film here:
http://media.tiff.net:8080/player.aspx?video=That-Girl-with-Yellow-Boots-Tr.flv

kid-glove
10th August 2010, 12:38 PM
Aargh, now they got the trailer in place of that 5 minute clip !

Plum
10th August 2010, 01:39 PM
indha mahi-gill-ai vachu padam eduthA avar latchiyathukku izhukku vandhurungaLA?

andha poNNukku oNyumE vaippu illai pOlirukku? Bollywood sure knows how to filter out the good and retain the ordinary :-)

MADDY
10th August 2010, 02:41 PM

andha poNNukku oNyumE vaippu illai pOlirukku? Bollywood sure knows how to filter out the good and retain the ordinary :-)

true, :lol: even genelia is struggling :)

Plum
10th August 2010, 02:45 PM
I'll say this - I'll take Genelia any day over Kareena Gabbu(r)
(Inenr voice: AmAm apdiyE avangaLai unakkAga pottalam pOttu kudukkarAnga pAru)

Kareena is a clear symbol of nepotism and undue favouritism towards industry insiders in Bollywood. It is not as if she has market draw or a powerhouse performer over others or even as a glamour doll, she is nowhere..

MADDY
10th August 2010, 02:49 PM

appadi podu aruvala 8-)

MADDY
10th August 2010, 02:55 PM
Kareena is a clear symbol of nepotism and undue favouritism towards industry insiders in Bollywood. It is not as if she has market draw or a powerhouse performer over others or even as a glamour doll, she is nowhere..

agree word to word - and do u know how their mommy babita used to accompany karishma for shooting schedules and used to ill-treat directors/crew just like rangeela scenes.......thankfully she has become old now and doesent accompany kareena atleast :lol: ....

kid-glove
11th August 2010, 12:22 PM
5 minute clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC3lgWift6I) I was talking about

MADDY
12th August 2010, 02:45 PM
5 minute clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC3lgWift6I) I was talking about

excellent - but i smell a template in most of his movies - paanch, gulaal and this one.....DevD and no smoking were totally different and breathtaking - anyways, let me wait for the full movie :D

dialogues - none to beat Anurag i guess :bow:

N.shah: yahan kudha wahan kudha, oopar bhi khuda :lol:

raghavendran
13th August 2010, 06:28 PM

:clap:

but enakku andha ladies-ai pudikka maatikkudhu. :lol: :lol: :yes:

Sudarsh
13th August 2010, 07:07 PM
Don 2 --- The Chase Continues eagerly waiting for that project as it has got a lot of the same cast members from the previous film and plus Shahrukh Khan is expected to be darker and more evil in this film and will have a puffed up look. 8-)

MADDY
13th August 2010, 10:49 PM
Don2 was a excellent movie - my definition of a perfect remake which is intelligent as well......sudarsh, is this one directed by Farhan as well??

Sudarsh
14th August 2010, 12:36 AM
Don2 was a excellent movie - my definition of a perfect remake which is intelligent as well......sudarsh, is this one directed by Farhan as well??

don2 is not out yet :P .. only don the remake but ye don 2 is directed by the master farhan!.. by the way maddy congrats on ur marriage read that in the coffee corner saw the posts :wink:

karthiknfr
15th August 2010, 12:04 PM
http://www.tamilmovietracker.com/forums/showthread.php?p=504766

Hindi ROBOt MP3

MADDY
16th August 2010, 09:37 AM
by the way maddy congrats on ur marriage read that in the coffee corner saw the posts :wink:

//hey thanks man :D //

MADDY
16th August 2010, 09:50 AM
Aisha - i thought it was a girl's movie but a couple sitting near us towards the climax:

girl: i cant take this f***ing movie anymore
her boyfriend: come on, we cant just get up and walk like that

:lol: that really summed up the movie...........a ugly mix of emma* and clueless* - too much of stretching, film was caught staring and gaping......sonam kapoor was irritating......

but the 2A's were too good - Abhay and Amit..........Abhay, not completely out of his zone but still will have to say he holds his own in a girlish movie........the small mannerisms that he builds into his acting and his "walk on the park" type acting reminds me of lalettan :bow: ........ketta payyan saar ivan 8-)

Amit - wow.....just listen to this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hyA2RCSPGc - its so simple and so good...........BGM was amazingly done - nalla pottenga thambi 8-)

*i have watched clueless a couple of times and read the novel Emma

raghavendran
16th August 2010, 11:08 AM
aisha
another typical "BOLLYWOOD" film..lot of cliches,boring and predictable film..
sonam :x ..wil never watch her films again..semme mokkai,looks very bony and her voice modulations irritate to the core..
abahy was very cool in his "rombe nalla payyan" role,refrshing to c him like this after DEV D even though he had very little to do in this..man for the future..
amit trivedi,adutha rahmana? :roll: ..

raghavendran
16th August 2010, 11:09 AM
Aisha - i thought it was a girl's movie but a couple sitting near us towards the climax:

girl: i cant take this f***ing movie anymore
her boyfriend: come on, we cant just get up and walk like that

:lol: that really summed up the movie...........a ugly mix of emma* and clueless* - too much of stretching, film was caught staring and gaping......sonam kapoor was irritating......

but the 2A's were too good - Abhay and Amit..........Abhay, not completely out of his zone but still will have to say he holds his own in a girlish movie........the small mannerisms that he builds into his acting and his "walk on the park" type acting reminds me of lalettan :bow: ........ketta payyan saar ivan 8-)

Amit - wow.....just listen to this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hyA2RCSPGc - its so simple and so good...........BGM was amazingly done - nalla pottenga thambi 8-)

*i have watched clueless a couple of times and read the novel Emma :exactly: :smokesmirk:

MADDY
16th August 2010, 01:08 PM
aisha
sonam :x ..wil never watch her films again..semme mokkai,looks very bony and her voice modulations irritate to the core..
abahy was very cool in his "rombe nalla payyan" role,refrshing to c him like this after DEV D even though he had very little to do in this..man for the future..

she is actually boney kapoor's daughter only no :lol:

Amit trivedi, is asking uncomfortable questions......nethu kooda yahoo group-la oru payyan amit.T-a praise pannadhukku ore galatta, but im ready to embrace this change :D

kid-glove
16th August 2010, 01:16 PM
(Contains nudity and disturbing images)

http://twitchfilm.net/news/2010/08/this-aint-no-typical-bollywood-film-take-a-look-at-qs-gandu-the-loser.php

It's a Bengali Avant-garde film, hence the stab at Bollywood in the headline. Actually, based on the content, I find it unabashedly aping Tsai-Ming Ling films. Except I don't see any context here. And formally, the film looks amateur..

Plum
16th August 2010, 01:18 PM
she is actually boney kapoor's daughter only no
kudumbathula kozhappam undu pannings. Boney Kappoor's brother's daughter.

kid-glove
16th August 2010, 01:23 PM
she is actually boney kapoor's daughter only no
kudumbathula kozhappam undu pannings. Boney Kappoor's brother's daughter.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

MADDY
16th August 2010, 01:59 PM
adhu theriyin - but sondham-nnu paatha boney kapoor-kku sonam magal dhaan........

raghavendran
17th August 2010, 06:52 PM
aisha

she is actually boney kapoor's daughter only no :lol:

Amit trivedi, is asking uncomfortable questions......nethu kooda yahoo group-la oru payyan amit.T-a praise pannadhukku ore galatta, but im ready to embrace this change :Dactually thalaivarukku apparam oru gr8 potentialnnu firstlendhe theriyardhu amit dhaan..so thappe ille

Kambar_Kannagi
17th August 2010, 08:01 PM
Aisha - Abhay, why are you wasting your time in 'chick' clicks? Just allocate all your callsheets to Anurag Ji alone...

Kambar_Kannagi
17th August 2010, 08:04 PM
Once Upon A Time in Mumbai - ithellAm naangga 'Naayagan'-layE pArthuttOm... Nevertheless, 'ok' attempt. Sanjay Dutt would have been apt for the smuggler cums (good) Don role instead of Ajay Devgan...

MADDY
18th August 2010, 08:59 AM
Aisha - Abhay, why are you wasting your time in 'chick' clicks? Just allocate all your callsheets to Anurag Ji alone...

yaam petra thunbam :lol: - he needs to do a bit of mainstream appa appa.......was watching his socha na tha on youtube some days back - supera pannirukkaan 8-)

Cinefan
18th August 2010, 11:20 AM
MADDY,
Socha....... was just about Ok in all respects,Imtiaz Ali's first film.I really liked Abhay in 'Manorama 60 feet Under',a wonderful film too.

kid-glove
18th August 2010, 11:29 AM
Abhay could be a non-performer on a bad day, got limited gestures.. In six feet under, the moustache gave him authenticity and presence, but for his acting, I don't remember being 'impressed'. This is not the case with actors like Irrfhan, Kay Kay, etc..

Cinefan
18th August 2010, 11:38 AM
Kites: I liked the film :yes:

Evenly paced,good stunts,charming Hrithik(except when he cries),a good Barbara Mori,acting wise(looks OK and older in all shots except some angles).

Why was this panned on release ?? Is there a difference when a film is watched on DVD and in the theatre???

The only thing pathetic about the film was the music,My God!all those english lyrics were so funny.

Anurag basu's previous ventures had very good music(copied or original)but this one was a big disappointment.

Cinefan
18th August 2010, 11:39 AM
k-g,
The film was so damn good that I was impressed all around :)

P_R
18th August 2010, 11:54 AM
'Manorama 60 feet Under',a wonderful film too. I felt the film wasn't that deep.

MADDY
18th August 2010, 01:39 PM
'Manorama 60 feet Under',a wonderful film too. I felt the film wasn't that deep.

:lol2:

Abhay has done pretty variant roles in "ek chaalis ki last local" and "Ahista ahista".......limited - thats ok, as long as he doesent come of plastic or like a monkey.........but with such a bland style, not many would accept him - he has to do a bit of rona, dona and bring some singam, puli, yaanai etc into his face/bodylanguage maybe

MADDY
18th August 2010, 01:51 PM
MADDY,
Socha....... was just about Ok in all respects,Imtiaz Ali's first film.I really liked Abhay in 'Manorama 60 feet Under',a wonderful film too.

i loved socha na tha - infact my most fav imtiaz ali movie than jab we met or love aaj kal.........the dialogues were so beautifully written, taking tangential references to tangential references and the characters had no reference point - brilliant creation.....and abhay displayed enough naivety in that movie :)

P_R
18th August 2010, 02:01 PM
Feepli layuw pArthAchchA?

MADDY
18th August 2010, 03:21 PM
daagumentary madhiri irukku-nnu kelvi patten :P

ajaybaskar
18th August 2010, 03:24 PM
Feepli layuw pArthAchchA?

Idha vaasikkuradhukulla naakku sulukkiduchu..

P_R
18th August 2010, 03:28 PM
daagumentary madhiri irukku-nnu kelvi patten :P saarusaar beshtungaraar

MADDY
18th August 2010, 03:49 PM
daagumentary madhiri irukku-nnu kelvi patten :P saarusaar beshtungaraar

padam nalla irukku avare sollittara - he got it absolutely right for devd, gulaal etc but nambalaama :?

Cinefan
18th August 2010, 04:29 PM
P_R,
60 feet is deep enough for me! :D

Peepli Live is drawing rave reviews but no chance of catching it in theatres,will have to wait for the DVD.

MADDY,
You liked Love Aaj Kal,didn't like it at all-got bored.

Jab We met > Socha Na tha > LAL

Abhay was so naive in SNT that it irritated me at moments.

I still don't consider him "ketta payyan" and all,his choice of films is what interests me esp coming from a Deol!Pretty limited range displayed till now.

raghavendran
18th August 2010, 06:56 PM
Feepli layuw pArthAchchA?verum comedydhaanam..vere onnum illennu sonnange.. :)
regarding abhay..effortless acting ivar kittedhaan pakkalam among youngsters,innum konjam angry youngman roleslam panna,oru pakka cocktail vandhidum :P ..surea gr8 talent..effortless..oru v.v.s laxman ode coverdrive madhri irukkum avarode acting

Sudarsh
23rd August 2010, 07:09 PM
dhamaal is an example of a really good comedy movie in hindi one of the best in recent times 8-)