PDA

View Full Version : Bollywood flicks discussion lounge

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

tamizharasan
23rd August 2010, 08:34 PM
daagumentary madhiri irukku-nnu kelvi patten :P

I heard otherwise. All documentaries are like this movie rather than this movie is like documentary.

Cinefan
24th August 2010, 06:09 PM
Aakrosh:A 30 year old film which talks about an issue which is front page news now-Naxalism and Adivasi rights.

Premise is pretty simple-Om puri,an adivasi is accused of killing his wife(Smita Patil is a blink and miss role).Naseeruddin Shah is the govt lawyer given the job of defending him.It's his first case and will take on his mentor Amrish Puri with whom he shares a very good relationship.

The hurdles that Naseer faces while investigating the case forms the crux of the story.The politician/contractor nexus,the intimidations that Nasser faces,the killing silence from Om and his tribe which frustrates him and the revelation of the truth through a leftist sympathiser are effectively brought out.The ending too is hard nosed practical.

Govind Nihalani.the director is ably supported by the stellar cast esp Nasser who brings out the energy of a lawyer wanting to make a difference in his first case and the frustration when things go against him effectively.

The only problem was that ,used as we are to fast paced screen plays,this one has a laid back pace and some scenes linger on more than necessary.

Raajneti: Mahabharat redux with a bit of Rajiv-Sonia thrown in.A pretty serious film interestingly made.

Again,Ranbir was impressive(I know,I know,all he has to do is have a dead pan expression, and talk in a whispering voice but he did that very naturally)while Manoj bajpai was excellent as Veerendra pratap.I particularly liked the way he spoke the "Karara jawab milega" line.

Nana Patekar was competant as ever while for the second time(Rock On was the first),I liked Arjun Rampal.

Disappointment was Ajay Devgan-the character itself and the way he played it and the lady who played Bharati pratap,she made a very weak Kunti.

Also,too much was packed in a limited time span(announcement of government collapse till end of elections,6 to 8 months maybe),there was a stroke and 5 murders of key people of the family while Arjun does a couple of killings.

This made the whole thing a bit filmy and less realistic.

Otherwise no complaints.

MADDY
27th August 2010, 04:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=170PsIvP0DY

Jhoota hi sahi promo

*ing John Abraham
Music: AR
Directed by: Abbas Tyrewala

raghavendran
27th August 2010, 05:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=170PsIvP0DY

Jhoota hi sahi promo

*ing John Abraham
Music: AR
Directed by: Abbas Tyrewala 8-)

P_R
29th August 2010, 02:54 PM
Udaan

sari ippo idhukku ennAngre?

raghavendran
30th August 2010, 09:07 AM
Udaan

sari ippo idhukku ennAngre? :lol:

MADDY
30th August 2010, 09:36 AM
Udaan

sari ippo idhukku ennAngre? :lol:

:lol:

i felt the same after watching Wake up sit :lol:

Anurag doing a movie on Bihar crime problem (http://lite.epaper.timesofindia.com/mobile.aspx?article=yes&pageid=28&edlabel=TOIBG&mydateHid=30-08-2010&pubname=&edname=&articleid=Ar02801&format=&publabel=TOI)

neraya thadava adichhu thovacha subject aache :roll:

ajaybaskar
30th August 2010, 11:30 AM
I hate luv stories

I hate such movies...

MADDY
30th August 2010, 12:35 PM
I hate luv stories

I hate such movies...

Sonam kapoor nadikkradha edhirthhu naadu thazhuviya porattam nadathhanum pola

ajaybaskar
30th August 2010, 12:46 PM
Sonam is ok.. But KJ template made me mad...

raghavendran
1st September 2010, 07:12 PM
dil bole hadippa
yaravudhu poi directore rendu adi adippa :x

ajithfederer
1st September 2010, 11:26 PM
I thought the film was making fun of KJ template.

ajaybaskar
2nd September 2010, 11:00 AM
I thought the film was making fun of KJ template.

Yes.. It was a spoof that still sticks to his template... :)

ajaybaskar
2nd September 2010, 11:01 AM
Once upon a time in Mumbaai

Worth a watch. Atleast for the performance of the leads.

Kambar_Kannagi
2nd September 2010, 06:24 PM
Aashayein
First half was ok, second half mudila... It had it's moments here and there though.

ajaybaskar
6th September 2010, 11:16 AM
Tere Bin Laden

Hilarious... Didnt expect this movie to be a gud one..

ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
9th September 2010, 05:04 PM
The first review for Dabangg is too good... It's from Oneindia and they keep praising the movie to the core from the start to the very end of their review !! I won't be able to watch this in theaters,, so have to wait for DVD or TV premiere :P

If anybody happens to see the movie, please do post your comments !! This is one of my most anticipated Bolly movie.

MADDY
9th September 2010, 05:55 PM
Tere Bin Laden

Hilarious... Didnt expect this movie to be a gud one..

yaaru padam thalaivare??

Dabang getting good reviews - hmm, oru pakkam kashyapa familykaaga sandhosha pattalum, innoru(salman) pakkam idhu nalladhukku illaye :P

ajaybaskar
9th September 2010, 05:56 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tere_Bin_Laden

MADDY
9th September 2010, 06:10 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tere_Bin_Laden

Pakistani hero in a Indian film - hmmm, bhai bhai aaittom :D

raghavendran
9th September 2010, 09:29 PM
Mumbai meri jaan
its rather boring film .....lost interest after watching 1 hr...it was totally pointless :? .

ajithfederer
9th September 2010, 09:30 PM
Ehhh??. ennadhu .

Mumbai meri jaan
its rather boring film .....lost interest after watching 1 hr...it was totally pointless :? .

Parthyy
10th September 2010, 03:50 PM
Dabang getting good reviews - hmm, oru pakkam kashyapa familykaaga sandhosha pattalum, innoru(salman) pakkam idhu nalladhukku illaye :P

Most of websites are thrashing the movie...like indiaglitz,rediff....strictly for salman fans,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
10th September 2010, 04:46 PM
:shock: :shock: Almost all theaters in Mumbai are running housefull shows for Dabangg and people say that after a long time they are seeing housefull boards for a Salman movie & advance bookings being full !! Initial reports are good !! Lets see :P

m_23_bayarea
11th September 2010, 01:03 AM
Sounds like Dabangg is getting a super opening. They're comparing it with 3 Idiots! 8-)

http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report_dabangg-is-likely-to-outstrip-3-idiots_1436418

I have a silly question. After reading this review, I happened to see some videos on YouTube taken inside the Dabangg cinema halls. And it feels like watching a big Tamil star's movie in a Chennai theatre. People whistling, clapping, dancing, etc. Does this happen only for Salman Khan in Hindi? Well, the NI audience don't do anything of that sort here in the US. The last Hindi hero I've seen getting response like this was Amitabh (back in the day). Looks like Salman might be the only one of this generation getting a "mass" kind of response in Hindi. Is this a true observation, or other actors like Shahrukh, Aamir, Hrithik also get such responses in Indian theatres? :P

ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
11th September 2010, 04:28 AM
@ Mr.Bay : I don't feel this will be only for Salman !! It depends upon the movie also... Sharukh's Don also got such response when the stunning BGM, Songs or Don ka Dushman dialogue was uttered !! But for the moment Salman only evokes much response as some of his recent flicks have done exceedingly well not in multiplexes but in single screens.

But as you say Dabangg has got a Bumper Opening and it clearly competes with 3 Idiots. Many people & critics down south say - '' What our Tamizh mass heros had done here has been done by Salman there. ''

ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
11th September 2010, 04:35 AM
[tscii:051a5fd7d2]
B.O. update: 'Dabangg' is unstoppable, opens to biggest response of 2010

- By Taran Adarsh, September 10, 2010 - 19:11 IST

As expected and predicted by this writer time and again, DABANGG opened to an earth-shattering and record-breaking response across the country. The film drew full houses from its first show onwards everywhere. Even at multiplexes, where ceetees and taalis are a rarity, the response to DABANGG was overwhelming, with fans clapping and whsitling at Salman’s intro, Salman’s dialogue [at several places] and of course, the climax fight.

DABANGG has opened in 1,584 screens in India and in terms of numbers, the film is expected to have a bigger Friday than RAAJNEETI [the biggest opener of 2010, which collected Rs. 10.5 cr. nett on Friday] and should be at par [or bigger] than 3 IDIOTS, which is the biggest opener ever [collected Rs. 13 cr. nett on Friday]. Eid will be celebrated on Saturday, so once can imagine the [grand] business on not just Saturday and Sunday, but also Monday. As per initial trends, DABANGG will be competing with just one film – 3 IDIOTS.

TOP 5 OPENING FRIDAYS

3 IDIOTS Rs. 13 cr.

RAAJNEETI Rs. 10.5 cr.

KITES Rs. 10.5 cr.

HOUSE FULL Rs. 10 cr.

GHAJINI Rs. 9 cr.

TOP 5 3-DAY OPENING WEEKENDS

3 IDIOTS Rs. 41 cr. [incl. Thursday previews]

RAAJNEETI Rs. 34 cr.

MY NAME IS KHAN Rs. 33.2 cr.

HOUSE FULL Rs. 32 cr.

GHAJINI Rs. 30 cr. [4-day wknd. was Rs. 40 cr.]

www.bollywoodhungama.com/trade/boxoffice_update/index.html[/tscii:051a5fd7d2]

ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
11th September 2010, 05:24 AM
Dabangg already a hit, say exhibitors

www.business-standard.com/india/news/%3Ci%3Edabangg-%3Ci%3Ealreadyhit-say-exhibitors/407654/

MADDY
11th September 2010, 10:22 PM
Dabang is declared the biggest blockbuster of the year by some news channels :lol:

ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
12th September 2010, 01:13 AM
Idhula Sirikka enna irukku :huh: Maddy - Ungalukku Sallu bhai piidikaadha ??

Nerd
12th September 2010, 10:40 PM
Udaan - Has a couple of interesting scenes, but soora mokkai.. The most overrated film of this year.

Arun Prasad
13th September 2010, 01:24 PM
49 Crore Weekend For Dabangg

Dabangg has obliterated all weekend collections to shreds by collecting around 49 crore nett as per early estimates. The final figure may come in a bit lower or a bit higher but it does not matter as the film industry has seen nothing like this before over the first weekend.
Three Idiots had a 38 crore nett three day weekend which was looked at as being earth shattering numbers but Dabangg has made those collections look small.
Dabangg has broken every record in the book be it single screen or multiplex in every centre be it A,B, C or D centre. Mass circuit like Bihar or class circuit like Mysore its the same everywhere.
CI the industry barometer for single screen business had a 1.98 crore nett weekend (Three Idiots - 1.36 crore nett) while East Punjab the barometer for multiplex business was 4.43 crore nett (Three Idiots - 3.22 crore nett).

http://www.boxofficeindia.com/boxnewsdetail.php?page=shownews&articleid=2007&nCat=box_office_news

MADDY
13th September 2010, 02:12 PM

i felt it was too early to say that - but good luck to Salman and mr.Kashyap :)

ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
13th September 2010, 02:48 PM

i felt it was too early to say that - but good luck to Salman and mr.Kashyap :)

That's also rite. But these days most movie's fate is decided in a very short span of time after it's release !! Lets see if it goes to beat all time collections of 3i, Rajneeti etc...

MADDY
13th September 2010, 03:12 PM
true, dabang seems to be on its way to one of the biggest hits......like surya, salman is making all right moves and movies :)

raghavendran
15th September 2010, 12:20 PM
love aaj kal
a very well written film by imtiaz again..better than jab we met,but i felt was it was too predictable..lot of bollywood having this same line..realising love at the end..idhu konjam bore adikudhu..
mathikonge directors..
waiting for imtiaz to try out a diff genre :)

MADDY
23rd September 2010, 03:13 PM
Road, movie.......movie, abhay - nothing worked

raghavendran
23rd September 2010, 08:17 PM
Road, movie.......movie, abhay - nothing workedoh is it...trailer was very promising..

tamizharasan
23rd September 2010, 11:38 PM
Teen Patti. very good example of how movie should not be made based on mathematical genius. No one can make more uncovincing movie with the given subject.

ajithfederer
24th September 2010, 09:24 PM
Aisha - Chick flick. Well, not that bad. Sonam Kapoor wasn't that bad. She wasn't irritating. Abhay deol was good in all the scenes especially when he makes fun of Aisha. Decent Timepass.

ilayapuyalvinodh_kumar
24th September 2010, 11:58 PM
Luck - Starring Imran Khan, Shruti Hassan, Dengsongpa, Dutt etc.... Many plots interwoven and little confusing but still got to see something new.... High on style... Shruti - :) but there was a pool scene.... First filmlayae ippadiya :shock: Still film was nice....

Rating : 3.5/5

Kambar_Kannagi
1st October 2010, 09:36 AM
We Are Family - Intha amara kAviyaththai thayavu seithu yaarum pArkkAthEngga.

P.S Highest ticket price I have ever paid for any Hindi movie. Wasted. :banghead:

MADDY
10th October 2010, 11:31 AM
We Are Family - Intha amara kAviyaththai thayavu seithu yaarum pArkkAthEngga.

P.S Highest ticket price I have ever paid for any Hindi movie. Wasted. :banghead:

SRK-Vishal Baradwaj to do a movie soon 8-)

Kambar_Kannagi
10th October 2010, 06:22 PM
Anjanaa Anjaani

Time pass. Ranbir is ok. Intha Priyanka ponnu is getting better and better. With Rani.M retiring, Priyanka is slowly getting on the top spot. She got both looks and talent. :cool:
Nethu Chickenwood-ku vantha ponnungaLuku ellAm thread irukku. Why not this gal? :sigh2:
Maddy, pArthuttu sollungga. :)

MADDY
11th October 2010, 10:54 AM
Nethu Chickenwood-ku vantha ponnungaLuku ellAm thread irukku. Why not this gal? :sigh2:

chickenwood :lol:

yea, this gal is very expressive and oru grace irukku :D

Kambar_Kannagi
11th October 2010, 10:58 AM
SRK-Vishal Baradwaj to do a movie soon 8-)

Nice. 8-) SRK-ku nadippu varrAthu-nu solra 'lamp-oils' ithukum ethAvathu solluvAnggalE... KaminEy was impressive. Let's see.

Plum
11th October 2010, 01:59 PM

chickenwood :lol:

yea, this gal is very expressive and oru grace irukku :DnEsanal awardlAm vERa vAngi irukku.

andha vaai dhAn konjam Rubber band mAdhiri...

Mahen
11th October 2010, 02:10 PM
Anjanaa Anjaani

Time pass. Ranbir is ok. Intha Priyanka ponnu is getting better and better. With Rani.M retiring, Priyanka is slowly getting on the top spot. She got both looks and talent. :cool:

:shock: Ur watching alot of hindi movies nowadays..athuvum vanthathu ponathu padangal..Punjabi sarake pudichitiya? :lol:

Endhiran pathacha? if you have not watched endhiran, something wrong..after sivakumar's family, who else entered your list? :roll:

Kambar_Kannagi
11th October 2010, 02:47 PM
:shock: Ur watching alot of hindi movies nowadays..athuvum vanthathu ponathu padangal..
Nowadays illa, naan pala varushamA appadi thAn. :P Definately not 'vanthathu pOnathu' movies.
Behind every successful HIndi movies, there will be a South Indian. Intha padathula, cinematography handled By Ravi K. Chandran. Besides, it's not at all a bad movie. Let me say again, Priyanka Rocks :wink:

Punjabi sarake pudichitiya? :lol:
KaduppEthingga ya... Thamiz awek pun tak ada, mana nat dapat Punjabi awek... :oops:

Endhiran pathacha? if you have not watched endhiran, something wrong..after sivakumar's family, who else entered your list? :roll:
Cheh cheh, Enthiran ellAm antha list-la eppadi pOgum? Ada tengok, tapi tak mau cakap pasal ithu di sini. Saya pm you nanti. :)

Kambar_Kannagi
11th October 2010, 03:06 PM
Guzaarish (Trailer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9QiS6nw1DM

Looks like it's going to be good.
At the same time, The Prestige and Benjamin Button cross-over mAthiri feel varuthu. :P

MADDY
12th October 2010, 03:14 PM
Sanjay leela bhansali tholla thaanga mudiyala :P

Kambar_Kannagi
12th October 2010, 03:16 PM
:lol: SaawariyA pArthENggalA? Nammala pArthu 'En padatha pArthu saawariyA'-nu kEtta mAthiri irunthuchu... :P

MADDY
12th October 2010, 09:09 PM
:lol: SaawariyA pArthENggalA? Nammala pArthu 'En padatha pArthu saawariyA'-nu kEtta mAthiri irunthuchu... :P

ayyayo - andha pakkame pogala :P

kid-glove
12th October 2010, 09:24 PM
Hamfest. Acting wise, No different from other SLB films. Stagy, Operatic, Opulent blah-blah too..

MADDY
13th October 2010, 09:45 AM

adhu mukkiyam illaingala :)

article written in 2001 by Abbas tyrewala on Anurag Kashyap and Paanch & its subsequent problems with censor board.......
he also correlates, chillingly, how the industry big-wigs and censor board have a nexus to thaw good efforts in bollywood.....tell me one director in tamil including maniratnam who can write so eloquently like this :bow:

http://abbas-tyrewala.sulekha.com/blog/post/2001/08/surely-you-re-joking-mr-kashyap.htm

Plum, hope u read this and understand why we love kashyap, imtiaz, abbas, rajat kapoor etc so dearly - bollywood was a drainage that stinks more than kollywood and these guys have cleaned it a bit :)

Plum
14th October 2010, 01:04 PM
Maddy, that was an excellent link. Thanks.
I do understand where you are coming from. I wouldnt put Imtiaz and Abbas in the same league as the other gentlemen yete, and I'd put Vishal Bharadwaj above all these gentlemen for his consistent and outstanding contribution - and if I am forced to choose, anyday Kashyapa munivar over Karumam Jogar etc.

Plum
15th October 2010, 10:28 AM

adhu sagid kappoor prachnai :-)

MADDY
15th October 2010, 04:14 PM

adhu sagid kappoor prachnai :-)

sagid kapooraa - ennamo ponga, indha tpka, run-beer, sagid, priyanka, katrina ellam oru steatyave illa :P

Plum
15th October 2010, 04:16 PM
yeah, i am also not sure of the latest pairings. orE kanpeesan.

Mahen
17th October 2010, 11:17 AM
Finally watched Dev D..One of the most quirkiest film i have seen..Not sure if i hate the film/love the film :oops: ..Some scenes are wow,bold,brilliant, stupid.dumb..ellame iruku..Amit trivedi oda music was ok..no match to Delhi 6...

after watching Dev D, i feel that Anurag Kasyap is grossly overrated in the hub :yessir: Avasaru pattu original DVD vangitten :sigh2: oru VTV matiri irukum nennachen :oops:

Mahen
17th October 2010, 11:18 AM
Btw, Chanda role-ku vera ponnu illaya...

Plum
17th October 2010, 12:15 PM
Tammu dates kudukkaliyAm mahen :yessir:

Mahen
17th October 2010, 01:27 PM
Tammu dates kudukkaliyAm mahen :yessir:

Thank god :D

Btw, i have no complaints abt her acting but her looks thaan nalla illai :oops:

MADDY
18th October 2010, 08:25 AM
after watching Dev D, i feel that Anurag Kasyap is grossly overrated in the hub :yessir:

allov only me, KK, thilak, bala, nerd support panrom.........feeyar and plum have been critical of him.....mathha yaarukkum theriyave theriyaadhu

oru VTV matiri irukum nennachen :oops:

adhu seri :lol:

Kambar_Kannagi
18th October 2010, 08:40 AM
Finally watched Dev D..One of the most quirkiest film i have seen..Not sure if i hate the film/love the film :oops: ..Some scenes are wow,bold,brilliant, stupid.dumb..ellame iruku..Amit trivedi oda music was ok..no match to Delhi 6...

after watching Dev D, i feel that Anurag Kasyap is grossly overrated in the hub :yessir: Avasaru pattu original DVD vangitten :sigh2:
Senthil: அண்ணே, நீங்க இன்னும் பக்குவப் படலனு நெனைக்குறேன்... :P

:x Intha aniyAyatha kEtka yaarum ingga illaiyA? (No offense to VTV lovers here). Goutham ellAm Anuraagh range-la Ethi vidurathu... :sigh2:

Mahen
18th October 2010, 11:06 AM

after watching Dev D, i feel that Anurag Kasyap is grossly overrated in the hub :yessir: Avasaru pattu original DVD vangitten :sigh2:
Senthil: அண்ணே, நீங்க இன்னும் பக்குவப் படலனு நெனைக்குறேன்... :P

:x Intha aniyAyatha kEtka yaarum ingga illaiyA? (No offense to VTV lovers here). Goutham ellAm Anuraagh range-la Ethi vidurathu... :sigh2:

Neenga avalo periya manushan ayitingalo :D Seriously paro sending her nude pic/wanting to make out in the field/abhay's reaction after seeing paro naked/phone sex etc...enale digest panna mudiyale..AK may be showing realism etc but thats not something i would want to see...Reminds me of our very own Kashyap, director Sami :lol: :oops: Intha padam youngsters watch panna, avlothaan(recent case, primary school students were caught having oral sex)...The major plus was the way the movie was shot..nalla visuals

KK im not saying that Gautham is great director..was just comparing both films as i thought DEv D was an intense love story as well...Btw, whats so great abt Kashap that i cant compare him with Gautham? :huh: Intha aniyAyatha kEtka yaarum ingga illaiyA? :lol:

Btw, i even bought Udaan..athu eppadi irukumo :roll:

Plum
18th October 2010, 01:19 PM
Was Dev D certified as adults-only?

MADDY
18th October 2010, 01:41 PM
yen pannanum-ngren - it didnt have any adults only scene at all and it wasnt even titillating - thilak once summarised how tarantino and kubrick used genre subversion in their works - anurag is not less, how he narrates a intense love,sex story without sex scenes and without any love :lol:

MADDY
18th October 2010, 01:45 PM
Intha padam youngsters watch panna, avlothaan(recent case, primary school students were caught having oral sex)...

infact anurag made this movie inspired from a "school girl's" life........DevD's chanda character is inspired from the first MMS scandal of india - DPS MMS scandal :)

Udaan ellam hopeless case :lol:

Plum
18th October 2010, 01:52 PM
Maddy, adhanAla dhAn A certified-A-nu kEttEn. It needs to be watched by people who can handle it. It certainly is not for vaLarum paiyan ivans and valarum poNNu ivas. Ofcourse, sila pEru pinjulEyE pazhuthurppAnga, avangaLaiellAm exceptions-A karudhaNum!

As for subversion, I never tire of quoting that ultimate, family-friendly, comedy-classic MMKR. ellAm paNNiyAchupA!

P_R
18th October 2010, 02:02 PM
[feeyar and plum have been critical of him.....m
ennaiyum andha kroop-la sErthutteengaLE.

I liked the film.
I just don't think it is the greatest ever etc.

But I recall that even when talking about how the film was slow, meandering and boring in stretches of the second half, I acknowledged that there may have been no other way to tell this story.

Regarding Kashyap, I have only watched this and Gulaal. 'Kood' is far as I am going. Superlatives are for Bharadhwajar.

Plum
18th October 2010, 02:10 PM
[feeyar and plum have been critical of him.....m
ennaiyum andha kroop-la sErthutteengaLE.

I liked the film.
I just don't think it is the greatest ever etc.

But I recall that even when talking about how the film was slow, meandering and boring in stretches of the second half, I acknowledged that there may have been no other way to tell this story.

Regarding Kashyap, I have only watched this and Gulaal. 'Kood' is far as I am going. Superlatives are for Bharadhwajar.

Me also baradwaja gotram. Kashayparai vanjadhulAm illai. But I couldnt relate to the "best ever", "envelope pushing" claims. Certainly, No Smoking was "Emperor is naked" for me. nIngallAM Royal CourtiersA theriyala!

P_R
18th October 2010, 02:16 PM
Udaan ellAm uberblade-nga.

btw what is the etymology of 'envelope pushing'? Conjures up image of corrupt bureaucrat under-table dealing.

Plum
18th October 2010, 02:21 PM
envelope pushing = indhiya thira varalAtril mudhal muRaiyAga....
(in terms of evolution as an introductory phrase)

Star Register, Inherent Coda - ipdi anganga pick up paNdradhu dhAn...
...Catch my point?

MADDY
18th October 2010, 03:38 PM
But I couldnt relate to the "best ever", "envelope pushing" claims. Certainly, No Smoking was "Emperor is naked" for me. nIngallAM Royal CourtiersA theriyala!

best ever ellam enakku theriyadhungo - bcos i havent watched nagaland, manipuri and many other languvej movies in India - adhula yaaravdhu beshta irukkalaam........"envelope pushing" - definitely yes........DevD ellam taking commercial cinema in right direction illaya?? there could have been better attempts but that doesent make DevD any lesser in today's context

No smoking is a bizarre film and its a experience - very arty and undecipherable..........u can fault the movie as a dubba, karan johar type movie - onniyum panna mudiyaadhu, cos i really dunno how to defend that movie :) .......btw, ungalakku theriyin, feeyar doesent like such movies :lol2:

MADDY
18th October 2010, 03:39 PM
btw what is the etymology of 'envelope pushing'? Conjures up image of corrupt bureaucrat under-table dealing.

same here - :lol: ........but i get images of a man pushing the envelope open to see how much money is in it :lol:

kid-glove
19th October 2010, 11:47 PM
But I couldnt relate to the "best ever", "envelope pushing" claims. Certainly, No Smoking was "Emperor is naked" for me. nIngallAM Royal CourtiersA theriyala!

best ever ellam enakku theriyadhungo - bcos i havent watched nagaland, manipuri and many other languvej movies in India - adhula yaaravdhu beshta irukkalaam........"envelope pushing" - definitely yes........DevD ellam taking commercial cinema in right direction illaya?? there could have been better attempts but that doesent make DevD any lesser in today's context

No smoking is a bizarre film and its a experience - very arty and undecipherable..........u can fault the movie as a dubba, karan johar type movie - onniyum panna mudiyaadhu, cos i really dunno how to defend that movie :) .......btw, ungalakku theriyin, feeyar doesent like such movies :lol2:

"No Smoking" made me take real notice of Anurag Kashyap.

Anyway, speaking of Kashyap. Here's one of the ex-PFC writer (& good mate of mine) Karthik Krishnan starring in titular role (of his own name)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wo0aExyqJw

Slightly inspired by Kaufman, Coens, and Kashyap (who is in turn inspired by both C and K!) I suppose, only in a good way. I'm uber-glad for Karthik anyway. :D

P_R
21st October 2010, 08:35 AM

Slightly inspired by Kaufman, Coens, and Kashyap (who is in turn inspired by both C and K!) I suppose, only in a good way. I'm uber-glad for Karthik anyway. :D

Interesting !
Well made trailer.

Same person who made the one shot scene shortfilm? If so, this one looks way way better and promising.

kid-glove
21st October 2010, 10:34 AM
No, not him. That guy made this music video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwXl8JkaRVY

Doc on Auto drivers of City:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19DA7tRefRI&feature=related

And teaser of next short starring Delhi Ganesh

"Dhuruva Natchathiram"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3rVJOKds2U

MADDY
21st October 2010, 11:24 AM
Anyway, speaking of Kashyap. Here's one of the ex-PFC writer (& good mate of mine) Karthik Krishnan starring in titular role (of his own name)

very good and interesting :D

MADDY
21st October 2010, 11:38 AM
Doc on Auto drivers of City:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19DA7tRefRI&feature=related

very engaging :clap:

P_R
21st October 2010, 12:54 PM
And teaser of next short starring Delhi Ganesh

"Dhuruva Natchathiram"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3rVJOKds2U

Looks quite interesting. :D

Mahen
22nd October 2010, 08:26 PM
Watched JHS..Not that mokkai actually..Pakalam :) i prefer this compared to JTYJN..This movie may not go down too well for those who have strong religious beliefs/kalacharam/eastern values etc..but still a watchable movie :) a bit draggy though and the filmy climax :oops: two back to back filmy climax(the other one was anjana anjani watched last week)

Pluses
-Rahman's songs..amazing...London looks more gorgeous with ARR's songs 8-) esp do nisha/i've been waiting and cry cry..call me dil comes in the end credits..but nothing much to say abt the bgm..no where near VTV
-pakhi- acted well, quite expressive but was too old for the role..she would have suited senior actors not jahnny boy
-supporting actors
-sub plots
-cinematography

Minuses
-jahny boy just cant act :evil: thank god he has good looks
-screenplay
-madhavan in a mokai role :( looked very healthy :oops: and doesnt look good with beard

I might watch again for the songs :) but padam sure flop thaan :(
Looks like this year only tamil films have helped rahman :) (vTV-superhit,ravanan-hit,endhiran-BB)..

Nerd
22nd October 2010, 09:32 PM
Baed reviews for JHS. Mahen, JTYJN is bad? Its a classic :twisted:

RC is getting average-above average reviews.

kid-glove
22nd October 2010, 09:38 PM
Maddy and P_R,
Yeah, he's definitely got a future in TFI. :)

Mahen
22nd October 2010, 09:45 PM
Baed reviews for JHS. Mahen, JTYJN is bad? Its a classic :twisted:

RC is getting average-above average reviews.

Enaku pidikile Nerd-ji..i know some loved it :)

kid-glove
22nd October 2010, 10:48 PM
[tscii:4bee0b42ad][/tscii:4bee0b42ad]http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/22/movies/22festival.html

KK's film didn't go down well to this NY critic. But the critic also reserves her praise for Kashyap's TGIYB : "But like “Kartik Krishnan” it’s short on narrative and long on arty mannerisms, at once fussy and overblown." I much expected the 'arty mannerisms'. The 5 minute clip and trailer seemed deliberately Avant-garde.

But finally it's advantage TFI with affirmative response to "Aaranya Kaandam". ThiagarajaR Kumararaja(R) :thumbsup:

raghavendran
23rd October 2010, 08:59 AM
Pluses

-pakhi- acted well, quite expressive but was too old for the role..she would have suited senior actors not jahnny boy

.neenge oru aaludhan pakhiye support panreenge.. :banghead:

Mahen
23rd October 2010, 09:28 AM
Pluses

Allo, did u watch the movie? patthutu comment pannuge :) Seriously she was ok..no complains abt her acting..she looks old avlo thaan

raghavendran
23rd October 2010, 04:12 PM
Pluses

Allo, did u watch the movie? patthutu comment pannuge :) Seriously she was ok..no complains abt her acting..she looks old avlo thaanno im watchin it tom...i thought she was the weakling..for the bad WOM..anyways pathute pesren

raghavendran
24th October 2010, 05:48 PM
watched JHS
seriously boring film...predictable plot,sluggish narration..untolerable female lead :curse: ..seriously abbass shud have gone to a better looking actress..acting wise she was mean too..
arr's music esp the title track was gr8..but another dissapointing film for arr.. :(
john was gud surprisingly...and madhavan.. :shock: edhuku indhe padam? indhe role?..wen a whole number of people waitnig down south to watch him play the lead,y do this kinda roles?
disgusting to watch one of the best modern day actors in these kind of roles.. :banghead:
manmadhan ambudhan kappathanum

Plum
24th October 2010, 07:52 PM
Few months back

Good to see nepotism rearing its head in bollywood. IpdiyAvadhu azhiyattum
:-)

raghavendran
25th October 2010, 08:50 AM
Pluses

Allo, did u watch the movie? patthutu comment pannuge :) Seriously she was ok..no complains abt her acting..she looks old avlo thaanuppo pathuten...sagikale..abbass kanuku azhaga therinja...act panne vechirvara?..en naangalam avar kan vazhiyava pakrom..acting..ennenge pannita..expressionless ..summa azhuduthe irundha avvolodhan..ungalukku ladies mele oru erake gunam irukku mahen

Plum
25th October 2010, 10:45 AM
andha ammaNi dhAn kadhai-thiraikadhai-vasanam-AmE?

raghavendran
25th October 2010, 10:50 AM
andha ammaNi dhAn kadhai-thiraikadhai-vasanam-AmE?yes.. :banghead: ..

AudazJay
25th October 2010, 01:11 PM
I'm having a bad feeling here. What happens if Abbas decides to cast himself as the hero in his next film? Kaivasam oru ready-made writer-heroine vera irukange.

God, ARR please refuse any further collaboration with Abbas if such things happen.

ajaybaskar
25th October 2010, 01:32 PM
When SJ Suryah tries his hand in lead roles, i dont find anything wrong with Tyrewala becoming a hero and ARR doing the music..

Plum
25th October 2010, 01:42 PM
Enga tamizhla oru dhadavai sUdu vechukittArungaradhukkAga, Rahman indhilayum pOi soodu vechukaNumA?

MADDY
25th October 2010, 02:16 PM
i think Abbas is smart enough to learn from his mistakes.......following him on twitter - lets see if he really feels that his decision to cast "pakhi" was wrong........the character was a beautiful girl - beautiful and a girl - mr.Abbas :lol:

actually movie wasnt that bad as raghav wrote here........its just that Abbas let the pedal of the accelerator couple of times and last 30 mins were waste - seriously............john did a fabulous job but pakhi was a real turn off - she was like our koundamani giving romantic looks :lol: ........but the dialogues, characterisation, setting up mileu and ofcourse the plot points were very good.......cant believe pakhi could write so well too :P ........some of the dialogues were mindblowing

kuthhika: people who call before committing suicides are just attention seekers :clap: //// thats completely against the theme of the movie and it takes a good writer to analyse his own writing and deliver it through one of the character.....

the knot was a bit simple and it couldnt last long.........it should have been a much shorter film with all songs played fully - Rahman is the real hero of the film......cant imagine the movie without the songs and BGM.......song picturisation and embedding them into narration was excellent.......there was only one badly written character and that went to R.Madhavan - with bad make up and OMG the typical hindi villain type :lol: ........it was good to see madhavan do 2 villain roles this year, firsts in his career :) ........

hopefully movie does well and AR works with Abbas in his next too :D

ajaybaskar
25th October 2010, 02:19 PM
Couldnt withstand Pakki in 'Fly fly' song which was telecast in tv. Maddy/Raghav and others, eppadithaan padam fulla paatheengalo?

MADDY
25th October 2010, 02:33 PM
Maddy/Raghav and others, eppadithaan padam fulla paatheengalo?

neenga komaram puli eppadi paatheengalo appadi dhaan :poke: JK, she was bad, but u sort of get used to her looks in second half :lol: ..........pam paa raa song ellam avalukku romba jaasthi :(

raghavendran
25th October 2010, 02:40 PM
Couldnt withstand Pakki in 'Fly fly' song which was telecast in tv. Maddy/Raghav and others, eppadithaan padam fulla paatheengalo?sathyama mudiyale ajay
oru 4-5 times thalayile adichikiten..andhe amma varadhe scenes konjam pakre madhiri irundhidhu esp john and his frnds ver hilarious...madhavan vere gaandu ethuvaru.. :?

Mahen
25th October 2010, 06:48 PM
Some angles, she looks abit a like Angelina Jolie :oops: Even my friend who watched, thinks shes not ugly and not drop dead gorgeous..ok looking sonnar..She looks old avlo thaan

Mahen
25th October 2010, 06:50 PM
Maddy/Raghav and others, eppadithaan padam fulla paatheengalo?

neenga komaram puli eppadi paatheengalo appadi dhaan :poke: JK, she was bad, but u sort of get used to her looks in second half :lol: ..........pam paa raa song ellam avalukku romba jaasthi :(

So true..enaku pakka pakka thaan pakhi pudikum :D After 30mins, appo thaan realise panne that she was the heroine :oops: :lol:

sathya_1979
25th October 2010, 07:21 PM
Some angles, she looks abit a like Angelina Jolie :oops: Even my friend who watched, thinks shes not ugly and not drop dead gorgeous..ok looking sonnar..She looks old avlo thaan
:shock: Pradhama Mandhiri yaarayaachum theevirama love paNreengaLo?

ajaybaskar
25th October 2010, 07:25 PM
Hope Angeling Jolie doesnt visit hub..

raghavendran
25th October 2010, 07:56 PM
Some angles, she looks abit a like Angelina Jolie pakhiye pathale enaku vomit vara madhiri irukku..avaluku jolie vere comparison.unge taste :lol:

Mahen
25th October 2010, 08:22 PM

Im not saying shes an exact replica of jolie..certain angles..her lips/mouth part jolie mathiri iruku... :oops:
http://movies.sulekha.com/stargallery/pakhi-tyrewala/2.htm

Pakhi romba support pannreno? :roll:

raghavendran
25th October 2010, 08:28 PM

Im not saying shes an exact replica of jolie..certain angles..her lips/mouth part jolie mathiri iruku... :oops:
http://movies.sulekha.com/stargallery/pakhi-tyrewala/2.htm

Pakhi romba support pannreno? :roll:ungalukku adhu theriyalaya?...
:irked:

Nerd
27th October 2010, 12:19 AM
[tscii:febf9676a4][/tscii:febf9676a4]http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/22/movies/22festival.html

But finally it's advantage TFI with affirmative response to "Aaranya Kaandam". ThiagarajaR Kumararaja(R) :thumbsup:
Just saw this. Whoa, thats some high praise indeed :thumbsup:

P_R
30th October 2010, 04:24 PM
Mithya revisited
Whatay loully filum

I'd say Gafoor gotram slots itself between bharadhwaja and kashyapa gotram.

Kamaan

raghavendran
31st October 2010, 12:59 PM
raktha charitra
a very racy political thriller...
it is a very dramatised narration wid lot of cinematic moments..but they help in keeping thetempo throughout...as far as charecterisations r concerned gukka reddy was standout..the performance of the the actor who played gukka was menacing..vivek underplayed it well..and has come out wid a stylish and cool performance overall a gud RGV film after a long time but never comes close to hisclassics like sathya and shiva..
but the film sets up brilliantly for part 2..but i dont think part 2 will be enjoyed widout watching part1..the rise of vivek is important to get an impact of his power,to realise the strength of his charecter

AudazJay
1st November 2010, 09:42 AM
I Hate Luv Storys :fatigue:

I hate this film! :evil: :banghead:

kid-glove
5th November 2010, 01:50 PM
[tscii:65c5c3db78][/tscii:65c5c3db78]http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/22/movies/22festival.html

KK's film didn't go down well to this NY critic. But the critic also reserves her praise for Kashyap's TGIYB : "But like “Kartik Krishnan” it’s short on narrative and long on arty mannerisms, at once fussy and overblown." I much expected the 'arty mannerisms'. The 5 minute clip and trailer seemed deliberately Avant-garde.

"The film’s budget reads an unbelievable INR40,000 and that, by any standards, is a commendable feat."

http://www.cinemaaonline.com/featured/chronicles-of-an-independent-filmmaker-the-untitled-kartik-krishnan-project

Querida
12th November 2010, 07:53 AM
Watched Three Idiots awhile back
the hype around this movie was really high but IMO wasn't as great as its hype...
I looked forward to a Aamir and Madhavan pairing...RDB was good after all and of course Boman Irani who never fails to crack me up....

the major wrench in my viewing experience was of course the abhorrent english subs...it would make any person cringe, cry and want to pelt bricks at the translator...serves me right for watching a rip instead of the dvd version....i'm still shuddering...especially that built up comedy bit where they get the south Indian nerdy guy to read and mispronounce the words...

the song "Zoobi-Doobi" was one of those infectious songs that doesn't show its effect right away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGVJYc2hwLc

it had the right mix of "real issues" with comedy and tragedy as well as redemption...it was the ending I didn't like...it was like how the director thinking aloud "how to end this all neat and nice without anyone noticing??" :confused2: ....issue was everyone noticed. TZP was so much more compact and not rushing to encompass everything in one movie.

Unnecessary scenes and editing issues are always a caveat to keep in mind when watching Hindi movies, I find...so no more unnecessary breath wasted on that old issue :roll:

When it comes to silly plots this wasn't the silliest or most hare-brained...I don't know but sometimes there are certain wild romp/caper movies that work well with Hindi Cinema...which have no value in the significant meaning department...you just pay half attention while brain turns to mush...some that come to mind are "Heyy Babyy"/"Dostana"/"Heri Pheri"

ajaybaskar
13th November 2010, 12:00 PM
Atlast, I managed to watch DEV D

Its been a long time since I watched a revetting movie like this. Very raw and hard hitting. Kudos to AK for managing to flawlessly adapt 'Devdas' to the modern setup, which even the great Mani failed with 'Ramayana'. Another notable aspect is the ability to stay away from VB style of film making. :clap:

Gonna revisit again next weekend..

Nerd
13th November 2010, 08:46 PM
Peepli Live - Inconsistent tone and a few exaggerations apart, lovely. The writing especially.

:clap:

Ramakrishna
13th November 2010, 08:59 PM
Golmaal 3 :cry:

P_R
14th November 2010, 06:14 PM
Hazaaron Kwaishein Aisi

Beautiful film :clap:
ivvaLo dhaan yA. idhukku mEla naan enna kEkka pOREn

Nerd
18th November 2010, 10:15 PM
Kashyap Uncle tweets: In Chennai , watching "Pasanga" tonight on screen. "Naan Kadavul" tomo morning.. and i meet Ameer and Bala tomo evening. What fun!!!!

Naan Kadavul, OK, but pasanga? Really?! Nalla velai naadodigal illai. Ethirkatchikkaaran enna ninaikka poraanO..

Ramakrishna
18th November 2010, 10:51 PM
Kashyap Uncle tweets: In Chennai , watching "Pasanga" tonight on screen. "Naan Kadavul" tomo morning.. and i meet Ameer and Bala tomo evening. What fun!!!!

Naan Kadavul, OK, but pasanga? Really?! Nalla velai naadodigal illai. Ethirkatchikkaaran enna ninaikka poraanO..

pasanga-ku nadodigal-ey better

m_23_bayarea
18th November 2010, 11:19 PM
Watched Three Idiots awhile back
the hype around this movie was really high but IMO wasn't as great as its hype...

:yes: :exactly:

AudazJay
19th November 2010, 09:30 AM
Anyone planning to watch Guzarish? The net is full of positive reviews. Needless to say, Big B and Junior B have started their own promotion on the film via twitter...

Plum
19th November 2010, 11:54 AM
Anyone planning to watch Guzarish? The net is full of positive reviews. Needless to say, Big B and Junior B have started their own promotion on the film via twitter...

Editor nallA edit paNNi irukkArAmA?

littlemaster1982
19th November 2010, 12:37 PM

Ennaa villathanam :rotfl2:

ajithfederer
19th November 2010, 12:38 PM
:rotfl:

Nerd
19th November 2010, 07:48 PM
Here is the verdict from Kashyap:

'naan kadavul' just completely blew my mind

Also Saw "Pasanga".. What fun.. had me emotional in the end.. kids were brilliant..

:lol: Vikraman padatha paathaalum idhayE solvaaru I thing.

Also he released eesan (Sasikumar's) audio today. Why the sudden thamizh connection? I remember him praising suppipuram in his blog long back..

Bala (Karthik)
19th November 2010, 07:57 PM

:sabaash:

jaiganes
19th November 2010, 10:42 PM

indeed!!!
movie of the decade for me...

Bala (Karthik)
19th November 2010, 10:48 PM

indeed!!!
movie of the decade for me...
Andha manusanukku irukkara dhairiyam irukke....

P_R
19th November 2010, 10:51 PM
pAsangaLukku emosanA...appo naan waiting list-la vachchadhu sari dhaan

Ramakrishna
19th November 2010, 11:40 PM

MADDY
20th November 2010, 12:21 PM

adhukkennanga panradhu, kamal kooda dhaan mynaa nalla irukkunnu sollirukkaaru - paatha dhaane theriyin.........artist-oda critical capability ellam unseletted.....

i thing, bollywood glam paathu paathu veruthhu ponavarukku pasanga/nadodigal madhiri raw meaningless village movies pudichhirukkalaam..........dont i feel love aaj kal/raat gayi baat gayi/jhootha hi sahi etc are much better to watch than contrived/violent village movies of tamil.........andha madhiri dhaan kashyapar-kkum nenaikkren.....

P_R
20th November 2010, 01:37 PM
adhukkennanga panradhu, kamal kooda dhaan mynaa nalla irukkunnu sollirukkaaru mudhalaaLi padaum

- paatha dhaane theriyin.. adhunaala dhaan unnum paakkalai :lol2:

Kashyaparukku nejamaavE pudichurukku pOla irukku.

Anyway manja bootsu padam varattum

equanimus
20th November 2010, 06:42 PM
Not that Kashyap has ever been a truly rigid critical voice, but his note that Pasanga's end moved him does make one feel hopeless! Even those who otherwise loved the film found the ending a bit too mawkish...

MADDY
20th November 2010, 08:53 PM
Not that Kashyap has ever been a truly rigid critical voice, but his note that Pasanga's end moved him does make one feel hopeless!

hopeless abt what - Anurag, the writer/director or Anurag, the person or Anurag, the critic or is it something else.....

MADDY
20th November 2010, 09:04 PM
Watching "A Wednesday" on Star One - frantic pacy screenplay..........the sequence where the news is broken to CM - and Kher gets the authority to negotiate - terrific.........in tamil it was dramatised as expected - UPO didnt have any timing IMO......even BGM wise, hindi version just had us in toes :)

raghavendran
21st November 2010, 09:28 AM
[tscii:0b61348042]‘My next film’s inspired by Subramaniapuram’
… says Bollywood director Anurag Kashyap, who was in the city recently

It didn’t take long for ace director and script writer Anurag Kashyap to win over the hearts of Chennaiites. Especially, after director Sasikumar announced at the audio launch of his next film, Eesan, the altruistic manner in which Kashyap had offered to help him take his debut venture Subramaniapuram to international audiences.
Sasikumar said, “Anurag Kashyap is a wonderful person and a respected director. In fact, after watching Dev D, I called him to congratulate him on the fine film he had made and I found that he had already got my number. He wanted to watch Subramaniapuram with subtitles and requested me for a DVD. I felt so honoured that I offered to take the prints of the film to Mumbai with subtitles for a screening. After watching the film, without my asking, he offered to help me take this movie to a wide range of audiences by giving me details of various film festivals that were going on. I was from the south, he was from the north but the manner in which he helped me impressed me. In fact, after watching the film, he told me that if I do a Hindi film, he’ll be the scriptwriter.”
But talk to Anurag and the good-natured, smiling director who was in the city to attend the audio release function of his friend, dismisses the accolades showered on him saying, “Actually, I was impressed by Subramaniapuram. In fact, my next film has been inspired by Subramaniapuram. The title hasn’t been finalised as yet but for the time being it is being called the Wasseypur Project.”
The ace director, who has managed to make a profound impact on audiences through his movies, seems to have taken a liking to the city and Tamil movies.
Sources disclose that the man has been watching Tamil movies ever since he set foot in the city.
Says a source, “Right from the time he came in, he has been watching Tamil movies. He has watched Bala sir’s Naan Kadavul and Pandiraj’s Pasanga and was impressed by both.”
Does that mean Anurag will work on a Tamil film sometime soon? Laughs the director as he says, “I don’t know the language. So, it’s difficult. But my girlfriend Kalki (who is from Puducherry) speaks Tamil fluently and has ambitions of being a part of the Tamil film industry.”
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Archive&Source=Page&Skin=TOINEW&BaseHref=TOICH/2010/11/21&PageLabel=29&EntityId=Ar02800&ViewMode=HTML&GZ=T[/tscii:0b61348042]

jinju
21st November 2010, 09:08 PM
Watched Raajneeti. Watchable one except for its seemingly never-ending length and body count that keeps increasing reel by reel so much so that by the end one doesn't know who's left and who ain't! and so many characters, many of them related to whom in what way 100% confusion that i left the futile exercise and decided to enjoy the film nevertheless. main incentive for me to watch the film was one of my favorite actors, manoj bajpai. while this is a role where he doesn't need to summon even 10% of his prowess (he still scores, mind u, above the rest!), what's important for him is being part of a successful movie, and Raajneeti achieves that, so happy for him! my favorite scene of his was the speech of his after his close aide passes away. the voice modulation in that particular scene is bang on! mr. devgan, a totally disappointing part and a disinterested performance. arjun rampal was a total misfit for the role i felt...how gud if it was madhavan who did that role (if he can do a listless guest appearance in jhs, he wudn't hav any qualms about accepting this well written part), he wud've got the dialect right as well. ranbir kapoor is good. nana patekar too have seen better roles written for him, but nevertheless performs well as only he can. naseeruddin shah is just there in a blink n miss role. others in the cast are apt except for the actress who does ranbir's mom's role, such an important role and such miscasting by mr. jha. never been a fan of prakash jha's films, and here he draws inspiration from Godfather to our own epic Mahabharat to the Gandhi family et al and serves up a political potpourri that leaves u exhausted because of its length, but watchable nonetheless!

and hubber friends and music fans here, have u given a listen to Guzaarish yet? if not, please do and share ur opinions. i found the promos as self-indulgent and stagey as any of the previous SLB films and never bothered to have a listen to the audio, especially after hearing he himself is the MD! But a piece by BR in IE bragging about it had me searching for the online mp3, downloaded it, had a listen, and blown away! the most complete hindi film music album i've listened to after Dev D it is. A whole range of good singers singing some of their best numbers and some good poetry a la Gulzaar saab in some of the numbers and awesome orchestration adorn this beautiful album. yes, the overall mood is melancholy but there is a lot of variety displayed here within that framework. While the whole album is a steal, my picks are Tera Zikr, Guzaarish, Daayein Baayein, Sau Gram, Keh na Sakoon, Udi, Jaane Kiske Khwaab. being an ARR fan, Tera Zikr is something that clicked with me instantly, and am sure all ARR fans will love this number that has some shades of the Chennai maestrp in it. and i will be surprised if there is even a single Ilayaraja fan who doesn't like this album! so, don't wait friends, give it a listen...yes i deleted my online copy n brought the original cd!

Plum
21st November 2010, 09:48 PM
Kiruthigai getting rave reviews for kusaaris. Rajini fans bid goodbye to NA for endhiran.
Even though kusaaris seems headed for a flop, a bolly chairman of awartds committee will unhesitatingly give it to kiruthigai. Junior for Ravan will be close competitor ofcourse

jinju
21st November 2010, 09:48 PM
and as for the film, no, am not planning to watch Guzaarish in theatre, thanks to Khaamoshi and Saawariya's sleep inducing effect on me! :oops:

AudazJay
22nd November 2010, 09:16 AM
and as for the film, no, am not planning to watch Guzaarish in theatre, thanks to Khaamoshi and Saawariya's sleep inducing effect on me! :oops:

I have to admit, Khaamoshi worked for me to some extent, all thanks to Manisha's and Nana's performances....well mainly Manisha :D
Nevertheless, it was SLB's subsequent films (HDDCS & Devdas) that irked me up :?

AudazJay
22nd November 2010, 09:17 AM

kid-glove
22nd November 2010, 09:29 AM
I don't mind SLB's vanity, self-indulgence, or whatever one might call it, but I'd like it to be at service of the story and intimately married to themes of the story. Not beauty for its own sake..

kid-glove
22nd November 2010, 10:05 AM
Watching "A Wednesday" on Star One - frantic pacy screenplay..........the sequence where the news is broken to CM - and Kher gets the authority to negotiate - terrific.........in tamil it was dramatised as expected - UPO didnt have any timing IMO......even BGM wise, hindi version just had us in toes :)

Apart from the lead performances (Where I thought both N'shah and Kher seemed more apt & earnest than Kamal & Lal respectively). People were in praise of the humor touches, but it didn't really serve the film well. And unlike, Kher's pretty straight-forward acting which had the tinge of anxiety & helplessness, Lal's performance had to contend with a mixed bag (presumably to bank on his star persona) that took off the edge. The interacting with Lakshmi didn't come off well (To me), and remains a major deterrent.

Otherwise, I think the remake isn't any more problematic than the original. Both the films offer a different kind of watch for different kind of days, depending on the mood. The original works slightly better for cinematic reasons.

kid-glove
24th November 2010, 12:57 PM
Runbeer/Rishi/Mrs.Rishi v/s Karan Johar v/s thandavokone/Soonam

Bollywood :rotfl:

My personal opinion is that Koffee with Karan is the biggest wannabe show in showbiz today (not even those fake hippies in MTV come close)..

kid-glove
24th November 2010, 12:58 PM
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/Ranbir-angry-with-Deepika-Sonam/articleshow/6974104.cms

http://movies.ndtv.com/movie_story.aspx?section=Movies&Id=ENTEN20100161036&keyword=bollywood&subcatg=MOVIESINDIA&nid=68226

MADDY
24th November 2010, 03:32 PM
They are there on the show because they are their father's daughters and not because of their work! I would advise them to stop talking about their colleagues and running them down."

pinna unga payyan mattum avara munnukku vandhaara, illa neenga, unga apparu ellam neengala vandheengala??

MADDY
24th November 2010, 03:33 PM
if you have lots of time - pls watch - nice fun :rotfl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiEMO61RTAQ

Plum
24th November 2010, 03:42 PM
Maddy, atleast raj kapoor came on his own. Despite his famous father, he was the one who sowed the seed for a dy"nasty". Rest of the family, barring shashi, are parasites. Shashi himself is exempt because of his contribution to theatre. Adhulayum andha rajeev kappor irukkaane...

And the girls will be the losers in this skirmish. Runbeer will be a hero long after padukone and sonam's daughters make their screen debut as heroines :(

P_R
24th November 2010, 03:49 PM
:lol: @ Chintuji

Dynasty ellAm pArthA Hindi-la Shahrukh thaviRa oru paya thERa mAttAn.

sEharsumen payyanellAm nadikkiraan 'nga :confused2:

MADDY
24th November 2010, 04:13 PM
Maddy, atleast raj kapoor came on his own. Despite his famous father, he was the one who sowed the seed for a dy"nasty". Rest of the family, barring shashi, are parasites. Shashi himself is exempt because of his contribution to theatre. Adhulayum andha rajeev kappor irukkaane...

And the girls will be the losers in this skirmish. Runbeer will be a hero long after padukone and sonam's daughters make their screen debut as heroines :(

raj kapoor-um strictly "on his own" kedayadhe........ofcourse shashi kapoor is the brightest in the entire clan till date :clap:

if u notice one thing, avanga kudumba saaba kedo ennamo - nobody has become a super star despite all the backings and runbeer too wont make it, im sure.............they always settle for second rung star status.........

btw, PR - even amitabh didnt have any backing.......i think SRk will remain the last superstar and last outsider......john abraham ellam evalavu kashta paduran :(

P_R
24th November 2010, 04:25 PM
Amitabh ellAm previous generation. Naan solradhu nesst generation. ippo suththi paarunga. ellAm machinarium.

P_R
24th November 2010, 04:36 PM
shashi kapoor is the brightest in the entire clan till date :clap: Bright-naa eppudi segappA irukkArnu sollureengaLA?

oru pEchukku vENA sollikkunga.

Raj Kapoor dhaan 'nga best. Even though I've only seen a handful of his films I'd say he is one of the important filmmakers in India.
enna padam konjam neeLamA eduppAr 2-3 interval vida vENdi varum :lol2:

indhi cinema 70kaLil kaNdupudikka patta maadhiri oru feel kuduppAinga. (aanaa meesic mattum 40 kaL-lErndhu kooda kEppAinga). Naama dhaan steady-yA irukkaNum.

MADDY
24th November 2010, 08:08 PM
shashi kapoor is the brightest in the entire clan till date :clap: Bright-naa eppudi segappA irukkArnu sollureengaLA?

oru pEchukku vENA sollikkunga.

Raj Kapoor dhaan 'nga best. Even though I've only seen a handful of his films I'd say he is one of the important filmmakers in India.
enna padam konjam neeLamA eduppAr 2-3 interval vida vENdi varum :lol2:

:lol: Shashi kapoor is considered a intellect in film circles and theater-la ellam neraya velai senjirukkaarpaa :P ..........his utsav was exemplary and i liked it better than any of raj kapoor movies........as a actor too, he was the only repeat only non-irritating Kapoor :clap: - raj kapoor, shammi, randhir, raj kapoor, karishma, kareena, runbeer-nnu oruthat vidaama irritating :hammer:

P_R
24th November 2010, 08:17 PM
Theatre ellAm sErkkavE koodaadhu 'ngrEn.
May Maadham appA kooda Madras flayers pOnRa theatre kuroopla periya aaLu.

Utsav Girish Karnadaha padam.
Sashi Kapoor was predeecer.

He's a good actor and all that. But Raj Kapoor oru maaberum kalaignar. pudikkalai sari. irritating-A :-(

Plum
24th November 2010, 08:48 PM
Raj Kappoor was a bonafide superstar, one of the first 3 in bollywood. No question about that. He made it on his own and is a significant filmmake in bollywood history.
Till mid 80s, his was the first family in Bollywood until Bachchan took over after his death. Holi parties is a good indicator of bollywood power and until he died, his was the biggest party year after year.
He has made fantastic flms, whether i like them or not.

Couple of thing on this dynasty thing:
1. Akshay Kumar is another succesful outsider
2. Sagid jappoor ellAm technically not a dynasty. Fankaj kafur ellAm chota player. His contribution to sagid's career in terms of opportunities created is minimal. What happened to Kher's, Shah's and Shaikh's sons?
3. Even rithigai etc were not direct beneficiaries being sons of lesser stars.
4. The only one who is a dynasty-imposed curse is apisek. 17 flops before success and super ordinary acting skills - still going strong. Other attempted impositions faded away.

Plum
24th November 2010, 08:49 PM
Sasi kappoor sponsored nihalani, benegal etc - made a significant contribution that way.

kid-glove
24th November 2010, 10:19 PM
Sanjeev & Shashi are my favorite Kumar and Kapoor respectively. :thumbsup:

On Raj Kapoor..."Mera Naam Joker" onnu pOdhumE..

kid-glove
24th November 2010, 10:21 PM
That is not to say that Sanjeev Kumar is related to Dilip Kumar. (before any one jumps onto that) But just a general preference from all the yesteryear kumars and kapoors.

Of course, I don't count Pankaj kapoor as part of the latter. He's great too..

MADDY
25th November 2010, 09:06 PM
[tscii:fafda9134a]Anurag is indeed becoming hopeless :(

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/regional/news-interviews/GV-Prakash-Anurag-join-forces/articleshow/6982162.cms#ixzz16J8IjkN7

Music composer G V Prakash is certainly going great guns. The latest is that he's working with Bollywood director Anurag Kashyap on two projects!

"Yes," he confirms to TOI, "One is for a movie he's directing. It's set in five time periods and that's very interesting for me musically. The second one is for his production house, a film that's an interesting musical script with romance." In fact, when the director was in Chennai recently, GV met him to discuss the finalities on the mood of the music for the films.

Back in Kollywood, GV — whose last album was Aadukalam — is busy with a few big projects such as Vada Chennai and Maruvan. "Bollywood is important for me," he states, "I hope I rock there but Tamil is dear to me as it gave me the break."

yaaro AR nephew saar, nalla worth-nnu solli molaga arachirupaanga.........Anurag after working with him, AR-a pathhi enna nenappaaru :cry: [/tscii:fafda9134a]

raghavendran
25th November 2010, 09:52 PM
[tscii:2b468d8d29]Anurag is indeed becoming hopeless :(

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/regional/news-interviews/GV-Prakash-Anurag-join-forces/articleshow/6982162.cms#ixzz16J8IjkN7

Music composer G V Prakash is certainly going great guns. The latest is that he's working with Bollywood director Anurag Kashyap on two projects!

"Yes," he confirms to TOI, "One is for a movie he's directing. It's set in five time periods and that's very interesting for me musically. The second one is for his production house, a film that's an interesting musical script with romance." In fact, when the director was in Chennai recently, GV met him to discuss the finalities on the mood of the music for the films.

Back in Kollywood, GV — whose last album was Aadukalam — is busy with a few big projects such as Vada Chennai and Maruvan. "Bollywood is important for me," he states, "I hope I rock there but Tamil is dear to me as it gave me the break."

yaaro AR nephew saar, nalla worth-nnu solli molaga arachirupaanga.........Anurag after working with him, AR-a pathhi enna nenappaaru :cry: [/tscii:2b468d8d29] :shock: ada pongayya

Plum
25th November 2010, 09:54 PM
Tamil girlfriend paduththum pAdu. adhu ennayyA luvs paNNA andha poNNOda mozhila ellAmE ivaingaLukku superA theriyudhu. IppO kashyaparukku singam pOttu kAmichAlum siRappA irukkunnu solluvArO?

littlemaster1982
25th November 2010, 11:01 PM
[html:4a54e0c330]<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IzGZ9oL9Lv0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IzGZ9oL9Lv0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>[/html:4a54e0c330]

Music by Amit Trivedi 8-)

P_R
29th November 2010, 06:06 PM
I saw Kamal's coffee with Anu.

He kinda said, after Sivaji, it was Dilip Kumar for him.
அவர் அவ்வளொ பெரிய தில்லாலங்கடியா?

Any performance recommendations?

MADDY
29th November 2010, 07:54 PM
u can watch remake of Aalayamani - Aadmi by dileep kumar and manoj kumar..........had lots of fun when i watched it......

Plum
29th November 2010, 08:05 PM
I saw Kamal's coffee with Anu.

He kinda said, after Sivaji, it was Dilip Kumar for him.
அவர் அவ்வளொ பெரிய தில்லாலங்கடியா?

Any performance recommendations?
veNAm..riskku..hindi channella solli irundhA, oru politenesskAga solli iruppArnu vitturukkalAm. Tamizh channella En ipdi sollaNum? :think:

Yusuf Saab is not in the same planet as V.C.Ganesan when it comes to acting honours.

avaru comedy try paNNi iruppAr pArunga - bairaagi pOndra padangaLil :rotfl:.

Shakti-nu oru padam - battle of titans apdinnu innikku varaikkum hype. Sort of Thangapadhakkam ultA. Srikanth role-la Amitap. thAnga mudiyaladA sAmi dhAn

MADDY
29th November 2010, 08:41 PM
Yusuf Saab is not in the same planet as V.C.Ganesan when it comes to acting honours.

avaru comedy try paNNi iruppAr pArunga - bairaagi pOndra padangaLil :rotfl:.

avaru summa nadichhale comedy madhiri dhaan irukkum....

btw, i have a reason for kamal's praise - Dileep kumar is a muslim hence the praise from kamal :)

P_R
29th November 2010, 08:44 PM
Yeah. What little I have seen has been far from impressive. MGR pwned enga veetu piLLai. Dilip Kumar area-vulayE illai.

Kamal made it absolutely clear Sivaji was streets ahead of anybody. He said Sivaji is the compass with which he could know what acting was about and to approach anyone, even Nagesh or Rangarao.

Dilip Kumar was very 'sollavE illai' for me.

MADDY
29th November 2010, 08:54 PM
Yeah. What little I have seen has been far from impressive. MGR pwned enga veetu piLLai. Dilip Kumar area-vulayE illai.

Kamal made it absolutely clear Sivaji was streets ahead of anybody. He said Sivaji is the compass with which he could know what acting was about and to approach anyone, even Nagesh or Rangarao.

Dilip Kumar was very 'sollavE illai' for me.

he told something like "Yusuf khan saab is the best living actor in the country" :shock: ..........

btw, i think this is ur first post where u have given MGR any sort of credit - acting or politics :D

P_R
29th November 2010, 08:56 PM
AnbE vaa paththiyellAm remba virivA ezhudhiyirukkEnE.

MADDY
29th November 2010, 09:17 PM
AnbE vaa paththiyellAm remba virivA ezhudhiyirukkEnE.

my bad - i would search them out :D

P_R
29th November 2010, 09:33 PM
ennaiya paththi ennamO neengaLA ninaichirukkeenga.

AnbE Vaa, enga veetu piLLai - indha maadhiri light roles ellAm nemba pudikkin

Even in serious situations MGR can be quite impressive.
It is quite an ordinary (and even typical MGR) line. But the way in which MGR picks up Kamal in his arms and says it, it would be so convincing like a genuinely concerened teacher talking to his ward.

Even the triangle louu serious dinner scene with Asokan - he does well.

mathabadi range ellAm kammi 'ngradhu avar pfansE solluvaainga. And of course, later stage 'nallA irukkONum naadu munnEra' ellAm suththamA pudikkAdhu.

kid-glove
1st December 2010, 08:23 PM
I suppose he's referring to only recent films.

Mani's films inspired him to make "Shiva". Idha neraiya edathula avarE solli irukkaar...

Mani Shiva maathiri enna padam pannirukaaru?

Inspired-na andha madhiri-E thaan irukkanuma?

Mani definitely brought a new emphasis and importance to visual grammar. His films revolutionized the way films were shot, and edited. Especially if you take the action scenes in Nayakan, Unaru, Agni natchathiram, etc. And not to mention, marriage of RGV's visual to Ilaiyaraja's composition in Shiva had a lovely precursor in Mani.

Ramakrishna
1st December 2010, 08:31 PM

Mani's films inspired him to make "Shiva". Idha neraiya edathula avarE solli irukkaar...

Pinna? Naangallaam Jayam Raja padangala paathu valanthavanga :lol2:

jaiganes
3rd December 2010, 07:51 AM

Mani definitely brought a new emphasis and importance to visual grammar. His films revolutionized the way films were shot, and edited. Especially if you take the action scenes in Nayakan, Unaru, Agni natchathiram, etc. And not to mention, marriage of RGV's visual to Ilaiyaraja's composition in Shiva had a lovely precursor in Mani.

suththi eduthu inspector thalaila sotternnu poadra scene poadhum - it will get any budding director inspired. no wonder Ramu cites mani as an inspiration.

equanimus
3rd December 2010, 03:48 PM
suththi eduthu inspector thalaila sotternnu poadra scene poadhum - it will get any budding director inspired. no wonder Ramu cites mani as an inspiration.Ha ha, well put! nAyagan is a seminal film in all of mainstream Indian cinema. Even in Hindi cinema, I think the much-celebrated Parinda comes really in the wake of nAyagan. But then nAyagan itself owes something (not any of its visual style but the anti-establishment undercurrent, the dramatic flourish, etc.) to Deewaar. So I think the equation here is a bit like that of Kurosawa and Hollywood.

kid-glove
3rd December 2010, 03:51 PM
suththi eduthu inspector thalaila sotternnu poadra scene poadhum - it will get any budding director inspired. no wonder Ramu cites mani as an inspiration.Ha ha, well put! nAyagan is a seminal film in all of mainstream Indian cinema. Even in Hindi cinema, I think the much-celebrated Parinda comes really in the wake of nAyagan. (But then nAyagan itself owes something to Deewaar. So I think the equation here is a bit like that of Kurosawa and Hollywood.)

I hear that being bandied around (by BPM) without a proper explanation. And it's sad that it's being regurgitated without much thought..

equanimus
3rd December 2010, 04:10 PM
He he, I just added an explanatory note to my post before seeing yours.

The traces I'm thinking of are fairly obvious. The famous "avana niRuththach chol" monologue can be traced to Vijay's "pehle us aadmi ka sign le ke aao." Velu singlehandedly bringing in the smuggled goods to prove how good he really is (to the audience as well?), echoes the manner in which Vijay does his first job for Davar, double-crossing Samant to gain extra money. In general, there are traces of Salim-Javed's Angry Young Man in nAyagan, no?

kid-glove
3rd December 2010, 04:41 PM
The traces I'm thinking of are fairly obvious. The famous "avana niRuththach chol" monologue can be traced to Vijay's "pehle us aadmi ka sign le ke aao."
So does Michael (though not in verbatim). Especially to Kay.

Velu singlehandedly bringing in the smuggled goods to prove how good he really is (to the audience as well?), echoes the manner in which Vijay does his first job for Davar, double-crossing Samant to gain extra money.
This is again thin to be considered as a substantial 'inspiration' no?

This is how any film on criminal protagonist would develop. Including countless other American gangster films. 'Angry young man' is an extremely overstated generic idea. Yes, the 70's and S-J in particular did something cogent of the already existing conventions. The criminal-inspector siblings within the family has been done before too. But perhaps not as persuasive.

Anti-establishment undercurrent is a basic point (and not one of its strongest!) to start with. I don't think Nayakan is specially derivative of S-J than Puzo. And also the fact it adapts the ethnic conflict in Godfather to the underprivileged Tamilians in dharavi. Velu Naicker is a less complicated being, but 'angry young man' again seems slightly reductive in view of the conventional definition it ascribes to. I think the best comparison is the combine of Vito & Michael Corleone.

And I flatly disagree that Nayakan seems inspired by Deewar in its dramatic flourish.

equanimus
3rd December 2010, 04:49 PM
[tscii:a71fd5c214]

The traces I'm thinking of are fairly obvious. The famous "avana niRuththach chol" monologue can be traced to Vijay's "pehle us aadmi ka sign le ke aao."
So does Michael (though not in verbatim). Especially to Kay.Not sure I got the reference here. Michael generally questions Kay's "state is sacred" naïveté. Is that what you're referring to? Michael is much less sentimental and generally coldly analytical when he defends himself, isn't it? I think this line is straight out of Deewaar.[/tscii:a71fd5c214]

kid-glove
3rd December 2010, 04:56 PM
[tscii:149fb90248]

So does Michael (though not in verbatim). Especially to Kay.Not sure I got the reference here. Michael generally questions Kay's "state is sacred" naïveté. Is that what you're referring to? Michael is much less sentimental and generally coldly analytical when he defends himself, isn't it? I think this line is straight out of Deewaar.[/tscii:149fb90248]
The context of Naicker's justification matches closely with Michael (who certainly has a tinge of cynicism). I think it's very simple. Obviously, Michael is less sentimental and lies coldly when confronted about his business. But I see no basis to link Naicker's state of reasoning to Deewar's universe. Unless you want to link by words..

equanimus
3rd December 2010, 05:36 PM
It's not the cynicism, k-g. Velu's anger here is clearly about why his daughter doesn't appreciate the circumstances in which he has become what he has. And fittingly, his tirade is about all those people who have wronged him and his ilk. And the words are important here. His lines are structured almost exactly in the same manner as Vijay's lines. "modhalla avana niRuththach chol" is almost a direct translation of "pehle us aadmi ka sign le ke aao."

kid-glove
3rd December 2010, 05:49 PM
Of course equa. I'm only saying that Mike's the cynical one. And I think Vijay has(d) the choice while the Corleone & Velu were predestinted to stand for their family (which isn't the case with Vijay, whose story plays out like a melodrama)..

Anyway, I don't find anything substantial to put it as inspiration. Right vidu(nga)

P_R
3rd December 2010, 06:03 PM
This is actually the first time I am hearing this.

I am not even sure I have seen Deewar fully.
(So I have no hesitation in saying that) I resent its cult status and retro-appreciation.

kid-glove
3rd December 2010, 06:05 PM
This is actually the first time I am hearing this.

(So I have no hesitation in saying that) I resent its cult status and retro-appreciation.

:exactly: It's good alright. But doesn't deserve the hyperbole. Apparently they teach a course on S-J in Pune film school. One of my friends who graduated there, said the students resented it after a point...

BFM :nothatway:

P_R
3rd December 2010, 06:20 PM
Apparently they teach a course on S-J in Pune film school. :lol:

Actually not all their films were good, no? (naan oru oNNEmukkaal padam dhaan paathirukkEn). So it was more like dishing out many things, some clicked (aesthetically I mean) and many didn't.

I saw one film with Amitabh, Sashi and Sanjeev Kumar. Written by Javed Akthar. Amitabh-Sashi are professional false witnesses. They implicate Sanjeev Kumar, then turn over a new leaf. The goodness of the foor - Shriram Lagoo and a (tamilspeaking) Rekha standing up to construction magnate who used substandard cement. dabbawalla old man dying while performing duty. idhukku naduvula madha nallinakkaM ellAm varum. ethanai... :lol2:

I get the feeling that they didn't know what they were doing. So I am reluctant about according a lot of appreciation for the films that are held to be fine (suththi suththi enga varaan, paaru yA :lol2:)

FTII having a course on S-J ellAm konjam over.

equanimus
3rd December 2010, 06:24 PM
(So I have no hesitation in saying that) I resent its cult status and retro-appreciation.ஆகா! I understand that you totally acknowledge that you've not seen the film very keenly, but you're talking about a seminal film in mainstream Indian film history, PR! One that created the palimpsest for countless "brothers at either end of the wall that is law" films. (And it's not a cult film in any sense. The retro-appreciation bit is also way off the mark. This has always been an extremely important film in Hindi cinema.)

P_R
3rd December 2010, 06:28 PM
I mean I have seen it on and off.
mera baap tatoo
mere paas ma hain
mein ab bhi phenka hua paisa nahin utatha hoon
kOvil maNi climoks

pOnRa epic moments ellAm theriyin

By retro I didn't mean, it was not appreciated then but only now, what I meant is...

P_R
3rd December 2010, 06:32 PM
..it's interesting because it (probably) represents a style of making, writing that reflected the mood of the times, films of that era etc.
But that's about it.

Ahaa..OhO-nu ellAm feel paNNadhillai.

btw I repeat, enakku BollywoodE thEsalaa dhaan theriyin. Adhuvum S-J 2-3 padam dhaan paathiruppEn.

kid-glove
3rd December 2010, 06:33 PM
I mean I have seen it on and off.
mera baap tatoo
mere paas ma hain
mein ab bhi phenka hua paisa nahin utatha hoon
kOvil maNi climoks

pOnRa epic moments ellAm theriyin

By retro I didn't mean, it was not appreciated then but only now, what I meant is...

Some of these moments feel slightly aged, and extremely melodramatic today. Unlike Nayakan, which feels timeless even today!

Imman Dharam is the other film you mention. Amitji's tache. :lol2:

equanimus
3rd December 2010, 06:34 PM
FTII having a course on S-J ellAm konjam over.என்னங்க இப்படி சொல்லிட்டீங்க? வேற யாரு படங்களை எல்லாம் படிக்கணும் 'ங்கறீங்க? Their influence on Hindi cinema is enormous. இவங்கள விட்டுட்டு படிக்கற அளவுக்கு எத்தனை பேர் இருக்காங்க? I haven't seen that many of their films either, just the important ones like Deewaar, Trishul and Kaala Patthar, which are IMO reason enough to take them seriously in any film course on Indian cinema.

P_R
3rd December 2010, 06:35 PM
Waitese, let me sift this to Hindi film section so people can discuss Suriyar in peace

P_R
3rd December 2010, 06:44 PM
FTII having a course on S-J ellAm konjam over.என்னங்க இப்படி சொல்லிட்டீங்க? வேற யாரு படங்களை எல்லாம் படிக்கணும் 'ங்கறீங்க? Their influence on Hindi cinema is enormous. இவங்கள விட்டுட்டு படிக்கற அளவுக்கு எத்தனை பேர் இருக்காங்க? I haven't seen that many of their films either, just the important ones like Deewaar, Trishul and Kaala Patthar, which are IMO reason enough to take them seriously in any film course on Indian cinema.

Put that way it seems fine. :lol2:
Straight Ray, Mrinal Sen, Adoor - இந்த ரேஞ்சுலேயே மெய்ன்டெய்ன் பண்ணுவாய்ங்கன்னு நெனச்சேன்.

அப்பொ அம்ம பயலுவளும் பீம்சிங், ஸ்ரீதர் எல்லாம் படிப்பாய்ங்க போல.

நான் antonioni, fritz lange (இவாள்ளாம் யாருன்னு எனக்குத் தெரியாதுங்கறது வேற விஷயம்) கூட ஈக்வலா நெனச்சு பொங்கிட்டேன்.

kid-glove
3rd December 2010, 06:46 PM
I get the feeling that they didn't know what they were doing. So I am reluctant about according a lot of appreciation for the films that are held to be fine (suththi suththi enga varaan, paaru yA :lol2:)

I too get this peeling ya know?

P_R
3rd December 2010, 06:57 PM
oorai keduthEttEnO :lol:

appuRam equa comedy-ku ellAm pOyi nammaLai madakkuvar. appidiyE MMKR-ku pOvOm. appuRam thread-ai maRupadi sift paNNa vENdi varum.

kid-glove
3rd December 2010, 07:24 PM
allOv, I had the peeling as and when I was watching the film. :)

equanimus
6th December 2010, 02:57 PM
By retro I didn't mean, it was not appreciated then but only now, what I meant is...My point is there was never any sort of discontinuity in appreciating this film. That's something that can be said of other popular films of the same era, but not this one. I think filmmakers keep going back to Deewaar and try to reinvent it for their times. (Deewaar itself is of course a reworking of Gunga Jumna, which I've not seen btw.)

..it's interesting because it (probably) represents a style of making, writing that reflected the mood of the times, films of that era etc.This is true, its storytelling style is of a different era, and that is also one of the interesting things about it today. However, (as an aside) Deewaar is actually a distinctly gritty film for its times. Salim-Javed and Yash Chopra wanted to make it without songs, but ultimately they had to put 3 songs in the film. But consider that this was a film in which the hero didn't have any songs, didn't have a traditional female lead role opposite to him and so on. They invested that much on the intensity of the lead character. How common is that?

P_R
6th December 2010, 03:46 PM
By retro I didn't mean, it was not appreciated then but only now, what I meant is...My point is there was never any sort of discontinuity in appreciating this film. adhaan appidi sollalai 'ntEn la.

Deewaar is actually a distinctly gritty film for its times. Salim-Javed and Yash Chopra wanted to make it without songs, but ultimately they had to put 3 songs in the film. But consider that this was a film in which the hero didn't have any songs, didn't have a traditional female lead role opposite to him and so on. They invested that much on the intensity of the lead character. How common is that? hmm nallavaru 'ndreenga.
SonymEksla pOda sollo oru trip paakuREn.

Plum
6th December 2010, 03:53 PM
equa, more than Deewar, I think Zanjeer was the more intense, personal movie. Deewar is the more popular one, with iconic moments and crowd-pleasing recalls.
Zanjeer, while being a very simplistic, traditional revenge drama, is obviously the maa(as in progenitor) of all Amitji Angry Young Man movies, with an intensely personal revenge motif. The fact that this is an extra-ordinarily brooding character, with hardly anyone to confide to - not the gajar ka halwa maa, not the brother, not the mentor chacha in the Port, not the understanding, pressure absorbing girl friend; there is the famous Pran Pathan ofcourse, but his girlfriend is a trouble magnet, requiring additional doses of intense protection routines from him; And Pran Pathan doesnt prove much useful beyond singing a sentimental friendship ditty - makes it an even more absorbing character.

Amit-ji sizzled in the role - and I personally prefer it to the more crowd-pleasing ones in Deewar, Shakti etc.
To the end, Vijay retains the edge, and would be an unequivocal villain, if perspective is only slightly changed. Deewar's Vijay, OTOH, is forever sermonising about people who wronged him, and whinily places the blame on society, and is looking for justification and approval(from society, from sibling, from maa)

Vijay of Zanjeer, though, is pretty unapologetic, knows what he is doing, knows it may or may not be socially correct, but he is fighting his demons, and he will exorcise them all by himself, going nonchalantly against his superior officer to achieve his ends. Even when his point is proven and he has to kill Ajit to save his superior officer, you can see "Glad he tried hanky pank with you so that I could justifiably kill him" rather than "oh I had to kill him to save you"
He walks away from his superior, phlegmatically indifferent to the latter's final extended hand, as the latter understands what it means to his protege.

Zanjeer, any day, over Deewar, for gritty drama.

P_R
19th December 2010, 11:34 AM
Saw Bhumika on Lok Sabha TV last night (those who missed can watch the retelecast today afternoon and should stop reading this post now).

Excellent performance by Smita Patil. But the film is uber blade. It got the national award for screenplay, which is quite beyond me. Some good moments here and there but no rug to tie the room together.

kid-glove
19th December 2010, 01:55 PM
Philip Lutgendorf's characteristically brilliant writeup here:

http://www.uiowa.edu/~incinema/Bhumika.html

P_R
19th December 2010, 07:13 PM
[tscii:894b4cc4df]Hmm looks like Loksabha TV snipped about 20 mins off - it went from 9-11PM last night while the link you provided says 140 mins. The development of the relationship with Naseeruddin Shah and how she gets going with Amrish Puri seem to have been scissored. Those were the most annoyingly abrupt transitions for me in the film.

Anyway, even otherwise the film was overall quite disappointing for me.

btw k-g, did you see this comment by brangan in his blog

One more terrific piece of writing about writing:

“a lot of times, I actually prefer stories where not much happens, where plot is not king. For me, clever plots can often be tedious and forced. I don’t want my fiction movie-ready. No, character is what I’m after. In a world where human contact seems to becoming less and less important, I find myself craving, now more than ever, the ability of a good story to bring me into the mind of a stranger.”

This kinda-sorta sums up my feeling about movies too. Fuck plot. Give me moments, stray moments, and I’ll walk home a happy man. :-)[/tscii:894b4cc4df]

complicateur
19th December 2010, 10:51 PM
Band Baajaa Baaraat - I am a sucker for such films so I loved it. But the half hour surrounding the interval is some of the best filmmaking I have seen in recent times. It is even more surprising to find it in a Yash Raj film. It has the most exquisitely well shot drunk kiss scene. Most definitely recommended.

Sunil_M88
22nd December 2010, 03:45 AM
Toonpur ka Superrhero looks promising, can't wait :happydance:

VENKIRAJA
23rd December 2010, 08:28 PM
Watched Omkara after severe recommendation here and Hindi-speaking friends from college. Immensely loved it. Felt like watching a Neo-Western flick with a Northie flavor. Saif was absolutely impeccable.

jinju
25th December 2010, 09:11 AM
Guzaarish: A good print played on local cable channel on my visit to my cousin's in mangalore. How can a director doubling up as the music director spoil his own melodious tunes on screen...beats me?!

a could-be interesting plot drowned as usual by SLB's penchant for grand cinematography, beautiful stars (ash hasn't looked more beautiful on screen ever, to me!).

Some say this is Hrithik's best ever perfo...as an admirer of his work so far, to me this counts amongst his worst, only after the hammy 'main prem ki diwani hoon'. as the quadriplegic Ethan, who files a petition for Euthanasia or 'Ethanasia' as he terms it, he's all over the place, and sadly his and director's idea of being positive is doing 'ha ha ha' loudly whenever a mention about his suffering comes in the screenplay. Ash is good as Ethan's nurse who has to endure verbal/physical abuse from her drunkard husband character as a side effect of caring for Ethan 24/7. apparently, Ethan is world's no:1 magician (ahem ahem!) who suffers a fatal 'accident' when performing a risky trick on stage (there's tuwist there too...oh well...hope u guessed it!) and gets confined to the bed. after 14 years of fighting his condition (he works as a successful radio jockey from home, who has inspired many a life!), one fine day he decides to pull the plug on his life and files a petition on mercy killing. will he or won't he?! if u really want to know, watch Guzaarish...if u don't, please listen to the soundtrack! oh yes, aish, the debutant actor who comes to Ethan to learn magic, magnificent cinematography, and a couple of well written scenes are the positives, if u ask...

Wibha
26th December 2010, 01:51 PM
Tees Maar Khan :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Vijay movies are tolerable!

Sunil_M88
27th December 2010, 05:39 AM
Tees Maar Khan :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Vijay movies are tolerable!

It's an alright time pass...

Querida
27th December 2010, 07:41 AM
Watched Omkara after severe recommendation here and Hindi-speaking friends from college. Immensely loved it. Felt like watching a Neo-Western flick with a Northie flavor. Saif was absolutely impeccable.

:thumbsup: actually took Kareena seriously only after this movie...saif just wowed and wished there was more of KKS...

Kaminey is another movie I recommend by same director.

VENKIRAJA
30th December 2010, 06:11 PM

Watched it today.
Started very well. Lost it halfway and started to **ck around. Didn't like the shootout towards the end. Climax was so-so.
Was nowhere near Omkara, yet not as horrible as 3 Idiots. So, thanks for the recommendation. Maqbool next. :D

Nerd
30th December 2010, 08:26 PM
Do dooni char - Second best film of the year. Could have done away with the vikraman-ness towards the end.

kid-glove
30th December 2010, 09:17 PM
Do dooni char - Second best film of the year. Could have done away with the vikraman-ness towards the end.

First-u?

Nerd
30th December 2010, 09:36 PM
LSD :D

I thing 2010 belonged Kollywood more than Bolly. Though LSD is my best Indian film of the year the no. of good films in thamizh >> the ones in Bolly.

Plum
30th December 2010, 09:37 PM
Venki, nInga neela vaanam mAdhiri rewindla pORinga pOla?

Maqbool is unqualifiedly the best of the 2000s in hindi. Immedait to watch i say

kid-glove
30th December 2010, 09:40 PM
LSD :D
:thumbsup: Mine too.

Haven't seen Peepli Live and Udaan yet though.

Querida
31st December 2010, 09:18 AM

Watched it today.
Started very well. Lost it halfway and started to **ck around. Didn't like the shootout towards the end. Climax was so-so.
Was nowhere near Omkara, yet not as horrible as 3 Idiots. So, thanks for the recommendation. Maqbool next. :D

after all commentary i don't know whether I should be thanked :lol:
No question that it doesn't come close to Omkara.
I liked Omkara tons more than Maqbool...even if Macbeth is my fave Shakespearean Tragedy.

VENKIRAJA
31st December 2010, 10:51 AM
Venki, nInga neela vaanam mAdhiri rewindla pORinga pOla?

Maqbool is unqualifiedly the best of the 2000s in hindi. Immedait to watch i say

after all commentary i don't know whether I should be thanked :lol:
No question that it doesn't come close to Omkara.
I liked Omkara tons more than Maqbool...even if Macbeth is my fave Shakespearean Tragedy.

timeline ellAm prachanayE illa.. epdiyO pArthuttA pOdhum.
IMO, indhi films = foreign films anyway.

equanimus
31st December 2010, 05:19 PM
Do dooni char - Second best film of the year. Could have done away with the vikraman-ness towards the end.என்ன Nerd, இப்படிச் சொல்லிட்டீங்க? Loved this one. A delightful, moving, wonderfully textured comedy about the middle-class.

VENKIRAJA
1st January 2011, 01:38 PM
will not be doing selvaraghavans films only due to budget issues and time issues ...will b starting work on anurag kashyaps film in feb ! !

:roll:

Nerd
2nd January 2011, 12:36 AM
Do dooni char - Second best film of the year. Could have done away with the vikraman-ness towards the end.என்ன Nerd, இப்படிச் சொல்லிட்டீங்க? Loved this one. A delightful, moving, wonderfully textured comedy about the middle-class.
I liked it too. Just that the climax in McDonalds was a little loud for my liking. They kept underlining it (even in the v-o IIRC) which did remind me of Vikraman films. Could have been a little more subtle.

ajithfederer
2nd January 2011, 12:44 AM
Life in a Metr0(2007) - Simple and Good. Good acting performances by all especially Shilpa Shetty and Irrfan Khan. The ending at the ladies compartment in the train is funny.

ajaybaskar
3rd January 2011, 01:41 PM
Raktacharithra 1.

இனிமேல் ராம்கோபால்வர்மா படம் பார்ப்பியா? பார்ப்பியா? :hammer:

kid-glove
3rd January 2011, 01:42 PM
Watch part II for Naladiyaar.

Plum
3rd January 2011, 05:32 PM
nAladiyAr? Surya?

directhit
3rd January 2011, 05:35 PM
Life in a Metr0(2007) - Simple and Good. Good acting performances by all especially Shilpa Shetty and Irrfan Khan. The ending at the ladies compartment in the train is funny. thanks to Ind SA, i cut short my mom/wife viewing this - finally torrent ubayam uyir pizhaithen :P

ajaybaskar
3rd January 2011, 05:37 PM
nAladiyAr? Surya?

:lol2:

Plum
3rd January 2011, 05:40 PM
ban keen paNNida pORAngappA!

Nerd
8th January 2011, 09:34 PM
Aamir's Thobi kaat has got thumbsup from hollywoodreporter

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/dhobi-ghat-mumbai-diaries-film-67745

AravindMano
16th January 2011, 08:47 AM
Do Dooni Chaar. Naaice. Only the voice-over and the detergent episode put me a bit off.

ajaybaskar
21st January 2011, 01:26 PM
'Peepli Live' out of the Oscar race

New Delhi: 'Peepli Live' which was India's official entry to the Oscars for the Best Foreign Language Film is out of the race now. An Aamir Khan production, the movie did not make it to the final nine.

The academy has voted and have brought the list of probable nominations down to nine films.
'Peepli Live', which beat films like 'Udaan' and 'Rajneeti' to become India's pick, failed to impress the judges at the Academy.

Mahen
21st January 2011, 09:05 PM
Dhobi Ghaat :sigh2: One of those arty farty films meant for film festivals...Aamir khan sothapitaru..

kid-glove
21st January 2011, 11:28 PM
Arty farty - did you pick that up from Farah Khan by the way of Karan Johar and Sajid? :P

Mahen
22nd January 2011, 06:54 AM
Nope :)

Siv.S
22nd January 2011, 10:29 PM
Ek Hasina thi.. wanted to watch this movie for long since i become fan of Johnny gaddar, Excellent debut movie :cool2:.. songless movie with tight screenplay.. the second half is little heavy.. performance by everyone is perfect..however i rate the director's second movie better than this.. JD is the thriller till the end... looking forward to Agent Vinod :thumbsup:

jinju
23rd January 2011, 08:51 AM
Dhobi Ghaat :sigh2: One of those arty farty films meant for film festivals...Aamir khan sothapitaru..

that bad eh? it was never meant to be the regular bollywood commercial film tho! BRangan has given a good verdict on it. generally getting good reviews too.

Siv.S, Sriram Raghavan very talented phlo indeed! ek hasina thi i lyk too...begs the same question that anurag kashyap asked of RGV...whatever happened to that RGV who promoted such talents?! but agent vinod mela enakku nambikkai konjam kammi, irundhaalum hope it turns out to be good!

Mahen
23rd January 2011, 12:30 PM
Jinju, not really bad but this kinda film doesnt appeal to me..Pointless film, imo :) vellakarans may like it :)

Sriram is a Tamilian but never wrote/directed any tamil films :evil:

jinju
23rd January 2011, 12:52 PM
Jinju, not really bad but this kinda film doesnt appeal to me..Pointless film, imo :) vellakarans may like it :)

Sriram is a Tamilian but never wrote/directed any tamil films :evil:

oh..k...puriyudhu...enakku indha maadhiri multiple story pilims pudikkum, but andha kiran rao ladees enakku pudikkaadhu (tho personal reasons shudn't cloud movie watching!) and i wanted it not to succeed for her:sadist:!

sriram...maybe he was born n brought up in mumbai?!

Siv.S
23rd January 2011, 02:18 PM
Yes he is a Tamilian from Pune.. jinju agent vinod's only worry is saif-kareena :lol2: other than that i expect a good thriller..

jinju
23rd January 2011, 02:45 PM
Yes he is a Tamilian from Pune.. jinju agent vinod's only worry is saif-kareena :lol2: other than that i expect a good thriller..

adhaan bayame! and it seems to be a big budget film. such makers when they move on to big budget star vehicles, sometimes fail to meet the expectations. anyways, lets wait n watch.

VENKIRAJA
24th January 2011, 11:20 PM

Agreed.
Vaaipe illa :notworthy:

ajithfederer
27th January 2011, 09:07 AM
Dostana - Not bad. Padam appadiyae oru madhiri pochu.

AravindMano
29th January 2011, 10:37 AM
maRupadiyum, Socha Na Tha. romba romba pidichudhu.

Imtiyaz ali nallA ezhudhurApla :clap:

P_R
1st February 2011, 03:09 PM
The Last Lear
ennadhu idhu school play aattamA

kid-glove
1st February 2011, 03:10 PM
Word on Pachcha?

P_R
1st February 2011, 03:57 PM
Word on Pachcha?

Didn't see the movie fully.

Last night I chanced to see parts on Zee Studio.
The first thing I saw was Bachchan's "performance" to Arjun Rampal. Riveting 'mbAingaLE.
His kErattar worked very well too. The Shakespearean English and all are a quirk and worked. The conversation with the passerby on the street :lol:

But the language in the rest of the movie was very very odd. I couldn't overcome that at all.

Malgudi Days was clear: the characters are not really speaking English but you are hearing them. And it worked without hiccups.
But here it was like they were really supposed to be speaking in English with some exclamations for local flavour. Not at all clear what he was going for.

Bachchan owned every scene I saw. The scene where he removes the glasses and descends the stairs was quite impressive.

But every time it cut to the nurse speaking localized English I couldn't take it seriously.
Preity Zindabad opening up about 'I yam also same problem' seemed to be like very 'central' to the rest of the narrative. As I didn't buy into it I thought no point watching further and switched it off.

Some nice turns like, how it is never the 'expected one' at the door was enjoyable.

Then I watched the first few mins today. Amateurish and funny
Prodeeser: these big stars, they charge so much (அலுத்துக்குறாராமாம்)
prodeeser: hello Mr.DoP how are you? (அதாவது 'cleverly' introducing character but making it sound like a backslapping).

Nesst meet பண்ணிக்கலாம்னு விட்டுட்டேன்.
Will probably watch it full length of Bachchar.

kid-glove
1st February 2011, 03:59 PM
Oh okay. kthxbye

P_R
1st February 2011, 04:12 PM
Oh !
You didn't like Bachchan? Or you thought the English was not a problem... Or both?

kid-glove
1st February 2011, 04:17 PM
Pachcha's performance :hammer:

kid-glove
1st February 2011, 04:17 PM
Unintentionally funny-mbaingalE.