PDA

View Full Version : DIET KITCHEN

Pages : [1] 2

kugan98
27th January 2010, 02:02 PM
[html:295f99bb01]
http://www.amihungry.com/images/diet%20in%20veggies.jpg
[/html:295f99bb01]

Dear friends, I think we will start a new thread for dieting.
All diet recipes tips and comments will be in this thread.
What do you all think, my friends.

I will soon post a low calorie soup in this thread.
Thanks Kugan98

dev
27th January 2010, 02:20 PM
:clap:

Go ahead K...:)

Selviem
27th January 2010, 03:31 PM
Congrats kugan! :thumbsup: :bluejump:

Aarthii
27th January 2010, 04:47 PM
Great Kuganka. :clap: :goodidea:
Congrats kuganka.

Madhu Sree
27th January 2010, 04:59 PM
K'ka, :happydance: do post some recipes, i will post some recipe with oats :D

Suja Rajkumar
27th January 2010, 05:35 PM
Good thread nga Kugan,
Will try to post some recipes also.

Suja

kugan98
27th January 2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks, thanks my friends. :notworthy: :notworthy:
Selviem, Dev, aarthii, Madhu and Suja.

Selviem, I know you are very good at low calorie recipes.
Please do post all your recipes here.
Thanks. Kugan98

kugan98
27th January 2010, 06:21 PM
Dev, even though I opened this thread, I know that
you are an expert in this field.

With great pleasure I would like you to take over this
thread.
Please give us your expert advice, tips and recipes.
I am sure all my friends will agree to my suggestion.

I will be a regular in this thread and post what ever recipes
that I know.

So over to you Dev. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks. Kugan98

kugan98
27th January 2010, 06:46 PM
[tscii]My first recipe for the day.
You can add or minus any ingredients.
Kugan98

HEALTHY VERMICELLI DISH

Ingredients:

1 cup of vermicelli
2 tbs of shredded carrots
2 tbs of sliced beans
1 tbs of peas
Little salt
Little tumeric powder

Little mustard seeds
Little urad dal
1 shallot sliced
1 green chillie sliced
Little ginger paste
A pinc of asafetida
½ tsp of oil

Method:
Dry roast the vermicelli, keep aside.
Half boil the veges with little salt and tumeric powder.

Heat a pot with the oil,
Add in the mustard seeds, urad dal, shallot, ginger paste,
green chillie and the asafetida.
Sauté well, add in the boiled veges, and the roasted vermicelli.
Add salt and enough water.
Cover and cook on low flame for about 5 minutes.
Stir and remove.
A tasty, filling and nutritious dish

kugan98
27th January 2010, 06:53 PM
As far as I know in vegetables, beet, carrots, celery,
cucumber, green beans, onion, radish, spinach,
lettuce, are low in calories.

In fruits, apple, lime, papaya, orange, tomato, peach, pineapples
are also low in calories.

So we can safely add these veges in our healthy cooking.
Also we can eat the fruits without guilty feeling :lol:

Thanks. Kugan98

dev
27th January 2010, 07:11 PM
Friends, I would suggest to have the diet recipes posted here & any other discussions about weight reduction in the 'healthy lifestyle' thread... that would make it easier for recipe search... enna solreenga?

Selviem
27th January 2010, 07:12 PM
sure kugan whatever i knew i will post it. i am following the normal cooking, less salt, less oil. mostly my cooking veges steamed and i give tadka. no deep fry. baked, grilled. quantity is limited. lots of salads, fruits.
milk - low fat no sugar in coffee
laban - skimmed laban
no salt in chapathi atta
early dinner
coconut - 1 for 15 days (for a family of 4)
this is what we are following

apart from this walking 1 hour, exercise 20 mins thats all.

dev
27th January 2010, 07:13 PM
K, enna expertnu ellam solladheenga... I'm nowhere near an expert in it... but yes, i'll let u know whatever lil I know & the diet I follow...

Thanks a lot for the nice recipe K...

dev
27th January 2010, 07:21 PM
Selvi, u must be very very strict with urself wen it comes to food... i don't usually make sugar-free drink or salt-free food even wen on diet... but I do reduce sugar intake when on diet... salt & spices, I take the usual qty... low fat diet I do follow...:)

kugan98
27th January 2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks Selvi, how I wish I was like you.
Nice tips.
Kugan98.

kugan98
27th January 2010, 08:10 PM
Dev, what ever you say I am ready to obey.
Thanks. Kugan98

kugan98
27th January 2010, 08:12 PM
I would like to thank NOV anneh for posting the
beautiful picture in the beginning of this thread.
Its very appropriate for this thread.
Thanks NOV anneh.
Kugan98.

dev
27th January 2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks K...:)

dev
28th January 2010, 08:55 PM
Low Fat Channa Masala -pressure cooker method

Soak overnight & cook 1 cup channa for 3-4 whistles. Once the steam is released, open the cooker. Add in 1/2 cup onion & 1/2 cup tomatoes, 1 tbsp tamarind pulp(or to taste),1 tsp gin-gar paste.

heat 1-2 tsp oil. add mustard, chilli pwd, coriander pwd & garam masala pwd, turmeric pwd. Switch off flame imme & add to the dhal mix. Add req salt. Cook for 2 more whistles. open the cooker once the steam goes off.

mash the dhal a bit.cook for further 5 mins.

OR

If u want more gravy, u can take 1/4th of the dhal & grind to a paste . Add abck to the channa mmasala & cook for further 5 mins.

Note:
if u r not comfortable adding raw gin-gar paste, U can add the gin gar paste to oil & saute till flavourful. then add the powders-mmix & add to the channa.

The same method works well for peas masala. Take care to cook the peas for lesser whistles(1-2 would do). Do not mash the peas. grind it & add if u want gravy. If it's mashed, the masala will look unappetising.

kugan98
29th January 2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks Dev for the nice recipe.
It can be taken with chappathi made without any oil.
Thanks Dev. Kugan98

kugan98
29th January 2010, 12:21 PM
[tscii]Here is a wholesome soup.
You can have it for lunch or dinner.
Its very filling.

LOW CALORIE PASTA SOUP

Ingredients:

75 grms wheat shell pasta boiled and drained
1 big onion chopped
½ tsp young ginger chopped fine
2 pips garlic chopped fine
2 sticks celery cut into ½ inch pieces
1 carrot cut into cubes
2 big tomatoes chopped
10 small florets of cauliflower
4 dried mushrooms soaked and cut into pieces
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp olive oil
1 litre vegetable stock
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Salt to taste

Method:
Heat the oil in a large pan.
Add in the garlic, and sauté for a while.
Add in the onions, and garlic, stir well.

When the onions are a bit brown, add in the bay leaf,
carrots, tomatoes, cauliflower, and the celery.
Sauté well , add in the vegetable stock.
Let it come to a slow boil, let the soup simmer for about 10 minutes.

Add in the black pepper, oregano and salt.
Add in the pasta and stir well.
Let it boil for a few minutes.
Ladle the soup into large bowls.
Serve with a crisp toastedl slice of whole meal bread.

Those who like can sprinkle little parmesan cheese on the soup.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1135/pastamushroomsoup.jpg (http://img687.imageshack.us/i/pastamushroomsoup.jpg/)

Aarthii
29th January 2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks dev for the channa Masala.
An easy recipe to make without any grinding.Will try it out soon

Aarthii
29th January 2010, 12:37 PM
Kuanka,thanks for the low calorie pasta soup.Haven't tasted these type of soups.Definitely going to give a try and will let u know.

dev
29th January 2010, 02:49 PM
pasta soup llooks so fresh... will try it soon... thanks k...

dev
29th January 2010, 05:11 PM
Aarthii, do give it a try... the recipe might sound odd with all ingre added raw...but the end result is a tasty channa mmasala...:)

dev
29th January 2010, 05:31 PM
For those of u interested in oats recipe, give this idli a try... looks really soft...Ragi Oat Idli...

http://www.veginspirations.com/2010/01/instant-ragi-oat-idli.html

Suja Rajkumar
29th January 2010, 11:11 PM
Kugan nga,
Pasta soup looks really yummy. Going to make it for dinner today(ennakku!!). Thanks for the recipe.

Suja

Selviem
30th January 2010, 03:25 PM
kugan,

pasta soup is really interesting. i will give a try and let u know. can make for dinner tomorrow.
thanks k

Selviem
30th January 2010, 03:26 PM
dev,
channa masala looks very easy, i will try it next week and let u know.

dev
30th January 2010, 06:16 PM
This is a low fat matar paneer recipe that tastes very close to the restaurant style matar paneer. Make sure u don't skip the kasuri methi coz tht's what gives the spl flavour & taste to this dish.

Matar Paneer(lowfat peas paneer curry):

Heat 2 tsp oil. Saute , finely chopped, 1 inch gin, 3 cloves garlic, 2 medium onions until brownish.
Generally the ratio of gin:garlic is 1:2. So adjust accordingly.
Add in abt 1 tbsp cahewnuts & saute till slighttly brown.
Now add 3 medium tomatoes chopped finely chopped, turmeric pwd & saute till they turn pulpy.
Let cool & grind adding around 1/4 to 1/2 cup water.
Should be a real fine paste.

Now add another tsp of oil in the wok.
Add in the spices-1/2 tsp garam masala pwd, 1 tsp each cori & cumin pwd, salt & chilly pwd to taste.
mix & imme add in the puree.
Take care not to burn the masalas.
If u r not comfortable adding the masalas into oil,
u can add the puree first & then add the spice powders. cook for 3-4 mins.

Now add 1 cup frozen peas(washed) & cook for 5 mins or so until peas are 3/4th cooked.
Add around 200 gms paneer(I like to cut mine into small pieces.
U can cut accor to ur preference) & let cook for a further 2-3 mins.

Add 1 tsp kasoori methicrushed between palms to make a rough powder. mix well.

Serve after 15 mins so with phulkas or chapathis.

Note:
U can use low fat milk & make low fat paneer.

While making home made paneer, u can add some salt & spices(like pepper,chilly flakes, kasuri methi, other dried herbs to ur liking) into the milk when it's simmmering & then curdle it using curd or lemon juice. This way ur paneer will not be very bland.

I use the same recipe to make mushroom matar & tht tastes good too.

Around 2 tbsb of milk can be added towards the end for a more creamier texture.

dev
30th January 2010, 06:45 PM
Phulka:

Mix together req qty of wheat flour, salt, water to make a soft dough. the dough should not be hard at the same time it should not be sticky. sticky doughla konjam flour potu mix pannina varume oru soft dough...adhu thaan right consistency. Add in a tsp or so of oil. let rest for 15-30 mins.

Roll out into a moderately thick roti. Don't roll it very thin. U can use as much flour as u need to roll out the roti. Roll out all the rotis.

Heat a tawa (preferably non-stick) on a medium-high heat. place the 1st roti that u rolled out . after around 5 secs, turn over to the other side. Cook till u see nice bubbles. now take the roti & place on open flame (use tongs to handle the roti now) & ur phulkas will puff up like puris. take care not to burn the roti.

If U r not commfy cooking on direct flame, u can cook it on tawa itelf. these rotis will puffup well on the tawa also. follow the steps above for cooking & instead of putting on direct flamme, turnover the roti & put it on the tawa itself & let it puff fully. just give lil pressure all over the tawa to help it puff up quickly.

Take out & imme place in a hotpack lined with a kitchen towel or cloth towel. close the lid imme.

Note: make sure u cook the rotis in the order u rolled out so the rotis will get some resting time. This somehow makes a diff in the puffingup of the rotis.

dev
30th January 2010, 06:47 PM
Selvi, try panni paarunga. U won't be disappointed. :)

kugan98
30th January 2010, 07:17 PM
Dev, thanks a ton for the recipes.
We need different types of recipes to get us not bored with
our meals.

I have to cook normal meals for the house people.
So I can cook your recipes for myself.

Thats why I am eagerly waiting for Selviems recipes.
I know she is very strict with her low calorie recipes.

You all know me, my recipes are all :lol:
Thanks Dev, Kugan98

dev
30th January 2010, 10:24 PM
K, try panni paarunga...in mutter paneer recipe, for others at home, u can add malai at the end instead of milk to make it rich & creamy... Yum!!!...

Shakthiprabha
30th January 2010, 10:40 PM
hi kugan, dev, other friends,

I would like to post a small easy recipe (many of u may know it)

My friend used to tell me, about how greasy our pongal is, and for an ARDENT MAD pongal lover like me, she advised a diff way of preparing pongal which she calls as kichadi. They eat it with kadi (curd ) or pickle...but thats our choice.

So this is typically our pongal conveniently renamed as 'DIET pongal'

Here it is for pongal lovers.

Make pongal just the way we make it...but hold on...add jeera, green chillies....and...lots of french beans, carrots, peas...(preferably cooked seprately with salt hing, jeera and added or can add it when u are pressure cooking) (no potatos plz though it may be yum to add on...remember this is diet recipe)....and steam it along with green gram and rice...but wait.......add ample water so that when cooked its kinda..loose like batter.

when done....ppl who find it bland...can add on ONE SPOON of ghee...else its good as such.

believe me it can be had with pickle or curd or ... just nothing. It tastes healthy...

u can season it with lil jeera / pepper and green chillies (optional)

_______

Variations:

1. She also makes onion tomato kichadi, where she adds onion and tomatoes (not other vegs) chopped finely and pressure cooked along with the pongal..

2. use toor dhaal (thuvaram paruppu) instead of green gram.

______

If u want ur food to taste YUMMY rather than healthy (for kids or guests) u can season it with lot of ghee and jeera with hing.

Sorry for the cumbersome write up and...no pictures to post too .... I hope some of u may like it.

Warning: This kichadi...is NOT PERFECT with sambhar or chutney. So....its better to have with curd/pickle...or just plain kichadi.

dev
31st January 2010, 08:48 AM
SP, thanks a lot for the recipe... I usually make my pongal lil loose so I just need to add very lil ghee for seasoning & still not feel it dry. I've not tried veggies in pongal. Will try it next time.

dev
31st January 2010, 09:05 AM
Sp's kitchadi reminds me of rava kitchadi/semmiya kitchadi. Though this not a strict diet recipe, the inclusion of vegs mmakes this boring upmma/semya interesting & healthier.

Rava kitchadi/Semiya kitchadi:

Grind green chillies, gin-garlic, pattai, krambu, sombu & fennel seeds , coconut-abt a tbsp to a paste.

Heat oil. Splutter mustard, green chillies, curry leaves. Add onions & saute till translucent. Add in a handful of cori & mint chopped & tomatoes. saute for a min or so. Add in the paste & saute until flavourful. Add lotsa mixed veggies(carrot-beans-cauliflower-peas etc) chopped fine,salt. Give it a good mix & add water. Let the water come to a boil & the veggies get cooked. Do not overcook the vegies. now add in white rava or semiya, stirring all the time to avoid lumps. Cover & cook on low flame till done & the water is absorbed.

Serve hot.

Note: U can add a lil ghee towards the end if u r not on a strict diet.

This recipe also works well with broken wheat- godhumai arisi(not wheat rava).

kugan98
31st January 2010, 01:59 PM
SP maam, thanks a ton for your nice recipe.
Even though kitchadi is known to everyone.
Different people make different type of kitchadis.
There will be a little variation which would give
the nice taste.
I am sure it will make an excellent lunch.
Thanks again maam, do drop in when time permits.
Kugan98

kugan98
31st January 2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks Dev for the two nice recipes.
These are all very filling recipes.
We want these types to keep us from getting hungry.
Thanks. Kugan98

dev
31st January 2010, 02:50 PM
U r right Kugan... the only issue with the rava/semmiya kitchadi is that the white rava & semiya is very low in fibre. So to mmake it up, we've to add lotsa veggies to make the dish healthier... also less oil...

For upma, I usually make it a bit loose so that it'll not be too dry even when it goes cold. no lumpy feeling in the throat :)

Semiya has to be cooked right... else it won't be good. So I use less oil but eat the dish hot. I also like to have it with curd or sometimes onion raitha.

Selviem
31st January 2010, 04:20 PM
dev,
u r right. i make pongal, uppuma, kitchadi and immediately serve. coz i use very lil oil and top 1 tsp of ghee, that part i will serve kids. if we eat hot the taste will be good. also i make it very loose.

Selviem
31st January 2010, 04:22 PM
dev,
mutter paneer receipes is too good. i will try it out. phulka chapathi, i prepare like urs. but i dont put salt, i use little oats powder with whole meal atta, knead it with 2tsp of low fat milk with water(luke warm) so we get very soft chapathi, i prepare in direct flame as u said.

Selviem
31st January 2010, 04:27 PM
today i made keemaa parotta.

keema - soya granules, put in hot water with little salt and squeeze it.

in a kadai, i tsp oil, onion finely chopped, ginger garlic paste, fry nicely, then add i small tomato finely chopped, coriander leaves, pudhina leaves, fry nicely.
either add meat powder or red chilly powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, salt and fry for few seconds, then add soya granules, sprinkle little water. cover and cook till the granules absorb the spices and let it become dry.

now, knead atta, roll thick, keep a tsp of soya granules and roll again. cook this in the tawa, apply margarine on both sides and serve with onion raitha. this is very healthy.

dev
31st January 2010, 04:55 PM
dev,
mutter paneer receipes is too good. i will try it out. phulka chapathi, i prepare like urs. but i dont put salt, i use little oats powder with whole meal atta, knead it with 2tsp of low fat milk with water(luke warm) so we get very soft chapathi, i prepare in direct flame as u said.

Oats in chapathi is interesting. I don't add warmm water coz I use the food processor to knead. If I knead it by hand, i do add warm water attimes.

Keema paratha with soya is a good idea. I'll try it sometime. None at home likes soya except me. so I don't stock it.

Thanks for the tips Selvi.

Aarthii
31st January 2010, 05:58 PM
Dev,u r so sweet.So many healthy recipes within one day.
I was lil busy yesterday.So i was not able to browse forum.
Thanks for all the nice recipes dev.will try it out soon.
Spl thanks for the phulka chappati.

Aarthii
31st January 2010, 06:00 PM
Selvika,thanks for the soya parotta recipe.
Something really different selvika.Unga innovations ellam super and very healthy selvika.Thanks for the dish.

Aarthii
31st January 2010, 06:03 PM
dev,selvika's oats in chappatti flour is a good as well as tasty recipe.u can try dev.
i have tried that one and we all liked it.

dev
31st January 2010, 10:26 PM
Aarthii, senju paarunga...hope u like it...;)

dev
31st January 2010, 10:42 PM
This version is slightly diff from what I posted earlier. But i find the taste varies significatly depending on the method we cook.

Matar Paneer(lowfat peas paneer curry):boiled onion & tomato version

Heat about a litre of water & when it starts to boil, add in 2 large onions,3 medium tomatoes & cook for 10 minsl.

Peel the tomato skin & puree along with a tbsp f cashews.

Puree the onions seperately.

Heat oil & add in the onion paste, 1 tbsp gin-gar paste.
Let it cook until it bbecomes brown. make sure the flame is on medium so the raw smell of onion paste goes off by the time it becomes brown.
Now add the tomatoe puree, turmeric pwd & saute for a min.
Add in the spices-1/2 tsp garam masala pwd, 1 tsp each cori & cumin pwd, salt & chilly pwd to taste. Cook it on low flame for about 5 mins or so until the gravy becomes thick & creamy.
mix & imme add in the puree.

Now add 1 cup frozen peas(washed),water & cook for 5 mins or so until peas are 3/4th cooked.
Add around 200 gms paneer(I like to cut mine into small pieces.
U can cut accor to ur preference) & let cook for a further 2-3 mins.

Add 1 tsp kasoori methicrushed between palms to make a rough powder. mix well. Add lil milk & let it simmer for few secs. Do not let it cook for long after adding milk.

Serve after 15 mins so with phulkas or chapathis.

Aarthii
1st February 2010, 10:06 AM
oh,another version of mattar panner.good.Thanks dev for the recipe.will try this also.

dev
1st February 2010, 10:39 AM
Here's another recipe which again is not a 100% diet recipe( for weight reduction) but a low fat version of the sinful malai kofta. This can be had when one is on a maintenance diet without any guilt :)

Malai Kofta:Low fat version

For the Koftas:

1 small potato or 1/2 a large potato - cooked & mashed
2 slices wheat bread(dip in water-squeeze & mash OR run in the mixie to make crumbs)
Very finely chopped cabbage- 1/3 cup( saute in lil oil or steam it for a few mins)
Grated paneer- 1/4 cup(optional)
red chilly pwd
turmeric pwd
coriander powder-1/2 tsp
garam masala pwd -1/2 tsp
Chopped coriander leaves
Salt

Mix all the above & make it into small balls that'll fit in ur paniyaram kal.
Add few drops of oil in the paniyaram kal holes & place the balls. Keep turing & cook unitil the balls et a nice brown color on all sides.

Malai Gravy:

Heat 1 tbsp oil. Add in 1/2 tsp jeera, 1" cinnamon, 1 or 2 cardamom pods & 1 or 2 cloves. Saute.
Add finely chopped, 1 inch gin, 3 cloves garlic, 1 large onion until brownish.
Add in abt 8 cashews & saute till slightly brown.
Now add puree made from 2 medium tomatoes , turmeric pwd , 1/2 tsp garam masala pwd, 1 tsp each cori , salt & chilly pwd to taste& saute till they turn thicky & come together.
If u have added more oil, the oil will separate at this stage. Since we have added very lil oil, u can take it off flame once it reaches a nice gojju consistency.
Let cool & grind to a real fine paste.

Now add the puree to the pan again & cook for another 5 mins on low flame.
Add about 1/2 cup low fat milk & simmer on low for 5 mins.
Place the kofta balls in the gravy carefully & add kasuri methi(dried fenugreek leaves) crushed-1 tsp & cook for another min or 2. Do not cook for any longer than that.

Serve immediately.

Note:

In case u don't have kasuri methi, just garnish the gravy with chopped cori leaves. But kasuri methi does give a very nice flavour to the dish.

If there's going to be a gap between the cooking & serving time, add the koftas just before serving & heat the gravy for 2 mins.

adjust cinn-card-clove accor to ur taste.

kugan98
1st February 2010, 12:59 PM
Dev, thank you ,thank you :notworthy: :notworthy:
So many types of recipes.
Ah, at least I need not always drink the soup.
Plain chappati with different type of gravies will
be a good change. Thanks again.
Kugan98

dev
1st February 2010, 01:48 PM
K, see I already told u healthy food needn't be boring, bland & tasteless... ;) :lol:

Do give the recipes a try & let mme know ur honest feedback...:D
To tell u the truth, I never take soup for a meal... It somemone never works out for me... I end up feeling hungry in a few hrs & eat some junk... so I always have proper meals even when on diet...the trick is to reduce oil,sugar & carb rich food & to take lotsa vegs, fruits & moderate qty of fibre rich grains & carbs...

dev
1st February 2010, 01:53 PM
Here's a blog with some really healthy recipes...
http://healthfooddesivideshi.blogspot.com/

Aarthii
1st February 2010, 05:24 PM
Dev,thanks for the malai kofta recipe.U r doing a great job.Thanks dev.

so many recipes in queue.have to try one by one.thanks dev.

dev
1st February 2010, 06:07 PM
Do try them Aarthii... & let me know how u liked them...:)

dev
1st February 2010, 07:13 PM
This flavourful subzi is adapted from a recipe by Tarla Dalal to suit my taste.

Scrambled cauliflower:

Grind to a paste -5 cloves garlic, 1" ginger, green chillies, 2 each clove & cardamom, 5-6 peppercorns, 1 tsp cumin & red chilli pwd,turmeric pwd.

Heat a tbsp oil. Add 1 medium onion chopped fine. Fry till light brown.
Add in the paste & cook for 4-5 mmins.
Add puree made from 2 tomatoes.Cook till dry & raw smell goes off.
Add in 1 medium cauliflower grated (abt 2-21/2 cups), salt, lil water. cover & cook till done.
Garnish with coriander leaves.

Serve with roti or whole wheat bread.

Note:

U can add lil grated paneer also. In that case add it when the cauliflower is 3/4th cooked.

kugan98
1st February 2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks again Dev, I think this time my dieting will be a breeze.
As so many dishes to choose from.
I wish I could cook all and post the pictures.

Dev, for me I find soups are very filling with all sorts
of veges thrown in.
More over it helps me in the liquid intake.
Thanks Dev, ungga Diet thread romba supera pooguthu.
Keep it up Dev. You are doing a grat service for the dieters.

Namma DEVKKU oru O

Thanks. Kugan98

dev
1st February 2010, 09:28 PM
K, if u r comfortable with soups , go ahead with it. Just add small qty of carbs into it(like noodles,pasta) OR have a slice or 2 of wholegrain bread along with it. also something for protein will make the meal more balanced. Since u r a vegetarian now, take small portion of dhal atleast once (better much would be twice) a day...

& I'll be very happy if my thread helps atleast a few to live a healthier life... Thanks K...:)

dev
1st February 2010, 09:57 PM
K, some healthy soup recipes for you...

http://tarladalal.blogspot.com/2009/04/summer-soups-and-salads.html

Selviem
1st February 2010, 10:40 PM
devkku oru big OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

very awesome receipe. i never tried malai kofta diet recipe. definitely i want to try urs. i have not tried malai kofta for many years. coz of its richness. but ur recipe looks very interesting, beautiful trick u made, frying it in paniyara kal.

peas paneer masala , cauliflower curry all r very interesting. everyday one by one i will try and let u know dev. tomorrow i am trying cauliflower curry.

thanks dev.

dev
2nd February 2010, 09:56 AM
Mushroom Fry:

1 packet of sippi kaalan or button mushroom-cut into medium sized pieces. I prefer sippi kaalan for this preparation.

Heat a tsp oil. Add the mushrooms, mix & cover with a lid. Cook in its own juices until almost done maybe around 5-7 mins. If it dries out quickly, just sprinkle lil water.

Now add in 1/2 tsp kitchen king masala, chilli pwd, salt. Mix well & cook for another min till all the water dries out.

Serve with chapathi or rice, variety rice,curd+ rice or eat it as such.

dev
2nd February 2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks Selvi.

Do give them a try & let me know. I'll post some more recipes later. I have a small collection of famous restaurant style dishes made healthier.

dev
2nd February 2010, 10:11 AM
This a snack famous in karnataka. Heathly & easy to prepare. Make sure to use only thin variety poha(nylon poha)

Poha Chivda:

Roast poha(thin variety)-1 cup & 1 tbsp peanuts in a pan(preferably non-stick) for 3-4 mins until the poha becomes crisp. Keep stirring once in a while to avoid the poha fromm burning.

U can alternately sundry the poha or microwave it.

Heat a tsp oil. Add in 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, 1 green chilli chopped, curry leaves & 2 tbsp roasted channa dhal(pottu kadalai or chutney kadalai).
Let the seeds crackle & chillies & curry leaves become crisp.
U can also add chopped garlic. In that case it should become crisp too.
Add asafoetida,turmeric. mix.
Add salt. mix.
Add the poha-peanut mixture, 1 tsp powdered sugar.
Mix well to combine.
Cool & store in airtight container.

Note:

U can add a pinch of amchur pwd ot citric acid crystals if u want a slight sourness.
U can also add raisins, cashews, sesame seeds, copra pieces etc

Selviem
2nd February 2010, 12:00 PM
wow dev, nice snack receipe. i will try this evening only. i like to have this type of snack.
dev, cauliflower came out very nicely, i tasted. after i will have it with my meal.

thanks for giving us a wonderful receipe

Selviem
2nd February 2010, 12:00 PM
dev,

please whenever u get time post the restaurant type of healthy dishes, i am the first one to try it out.

Selviem
2nd February 2010, 12:01 PM
dev,

again mushroom is a favourite dish for us. tell me onething, is there is any alternative for kitchen king masala, if so plz let me know. i can try that too at the earliest.

dev
2nd February 2010, 02:00 PM
Selvi, glad u liked the scrambled cauliflower...:)

You can use garamm masala instead of kitchen king masala... I find kitchen king to be much better in flavour... If u get a chance, try it with Everest KK masala...else garam masala should be fine...

Selviem
2nd February 2010, 02:02 PM
ok done dev thanks a lot.

selvi

dev
2nd February 2010, 02:07 PM
Broccoli:

Cut the broccoli into medium sized pieces. microwave with a tsp of water for 2-3 mins.Coat it with 2 tsp olive oil, salt & pepper.
Roast in a preheated oven for 15 mmins or so.

U can also add a few cloves of garlic cut into 2.

Sorry I forgot the temperature at which i used to cook. Long timme since i prepared this dish. Though we get broccoli here, I don't buy it coz i'm the only one at home who likes it.

dev
2nd February 2010, 02:35 PM
Here's another restaurant favourite made healthier .

Dal makhani:

Soak 1/2 cup whole urad dhal(black urad with skin on) & 2 tbsp rajma overnight.
drain & add 2 cups of water. pressure cook for 4 whistles or more. The dhals should be overcooked.
Now mash the dhal till the dhal is almost mashed(75% mashed up).
Add 1 cup of low fat milk to the dhal- mix-& simmer for 10 mins stirring occasionally.

heat 2 tsp oil. Add 1/2 tsp jeera. let it brown. Add 1 m.onion chopped fine,1 tsp gin-gar paste.
Cook till the onion turns golden brown.
Add chilly pwd, turmeric & 2 tsp coriander powder.mix once.
Add puree made from 2 big tomatoes,salt. Cook for 5 mins until it truns flavourful & almost dry.
Add the above mixture to the dhal, 1/4 cup water if the dhal is too thick.
Simmmer for 10-15 mins until the dhal becomes creamy.
This dhal should be of real thick consistency but not dry.
Garnish with cori leaves.

Note:
U can add 1/2 tsp garam masala along with the garnish.

Asafoetida & fenugreek seeds can be added along with the cumin while seasoning the dhal. In that case, onions can be left out.

Aarthii
2nd February 2010, 03:13 PM
Dev,thanks for the poha chivda,as well as dal makahani recipe.

Dal makani is my favouirte dish dev.Even i have searched for that in net also.But cudnlt find a nice recipe.Thanks dev.will try it out for tomorrow lunch and will let u know dear .

Thanks dev.Thansk for all the nice recipes.

Aarthii
2nd February 2010, 03:21 PM
dev,could u plz clear me some doubts regaridng mushrooms.Always i used to confuse while seeing it in the markets.Here we used to get mushrooms in white color as well as brown color.Which one i can use for ur dish?

dev
2nd February 2010, 03:25 PM
Do give it a try Aarthii... If u don't mind a calorie rich version U can try the recipe from the link below...the recipe is supposed to be from an oberoi hotel chef.

http://vegeyum.wordpress.com/2008/06/23/dalmakhani/

dev
2nd February 2010, 03:31 PM
dev,could u plz clear me some doubts regaridng mushrooms.Always i used to confuse while seeing it in the markets.Here we used to get mushrooms in white color as well as brown color.Which one i can use for ur dish?

Aarthii, u can use the white variety of button mushroom... I have not tried the brown ones...

Oyster mushroom can also be used...

Selviem
2nd February 2010, 04:09 PM
dev,

we enjoyed scrambled cauliflower for afternoon lunch. it was really yummyyyyy. thanks a lot.

selvi

dev
2nd February 2010, 04:54 PM
Really glad selvi...:)

dev
2nd February 2010, 04:56 PM
dev,selvika's oats in chappatti flour is a good as well as tasty recipe.u can try dev.
i have tried that one and we all liked it.

Sorry Aarthii, i somemhow overlooked this post of urs...

Will def give it a try...thanks AArthii...

Selviem
2nd February 2010, 06:58 PM
dev,
tried chivda with white as well brown flakes, it came out nicely. myself and kids enjoyed. thanks dev. i will do the same with puffed rice. never tried in rice flakes. it is filling for kids too.

dev
2nd February 2010, 07:55 PM
Selvi, :thumbsup:...

you can used puffed rice also... will taste good... I've already posted a puffed rice recipe similar to this... but I've used KMP in it... & no sugar in it... dry chllies instead of green ones.. crushed garlic is a must for pori...

chevy
2nd February 2010, 08:07 PM
http://www.amihungry.com/images/diet%20in%20veggies.jpg

Dear friends, I think we will start a new thread for dieting.
All diet recipes tips and comments will be in this thread.
What do you all think, my friends.

I will soon post a low calorie soup in this thread.
Thanks Kugan98

Do Diets work??
Yeah they do, until I tell it to someone :( LOL. Thristi I think, generates a reverse reaction after announcing your diet.

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd February 2010, 08:08 PM
knock knock,

varalaama inga :)

Any food which is high in Protein , low in carbs will make you loose wait. Soya protein products, such as soya beans, tofu (bean curd), dhaal, nuts (moderation pls ). Muscles burns off fat, when you are resting, that is sleeping. hence the more muscle you have in the body, the higher your metabolism will function.

Minimum 2 liters of water is a MUST , which will get rid of toxins in your body and circulate blood and oxygen to your body

coming to food :lol2:

Thai vegi food are mainly soya based, hence very low in calories!

chevy
2nd February 2010, 08:12 PM
knock knock,

Opps.. did I also have to take permission before invading?

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd February 2010, 08:15 PM
knock knock,

Opps.. did I also have to take permission before invading?

You have to get 'Dev' madam's permission :lol2:

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd February 2010, 08:18 PM
Eating a little high protein food at each meal helps reduce the appetite, plus the body uses energy to convert protein to carbohydrates; a process known as Gluconeogenesis.

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd February 2010, 08:21 PM
Protein Rich food

EGGS ( 1 medium size ) 6 grams

MILK ( 1 pint or 568ml) 19 grams

MILK ( 1 glass ) 6.3 grams 8 g

SOYA MILK Plain (200 ml) 6 grams

TOFU (100 g) 8 grams 0.8 g

LOW-FAT YOGHURT (plain) 150g 8 grams

LOW-FAT YOGHURT (fruit) 150g 6 grams

FISH (cod fillets 100g or 3.5 ounces) 21 grams

CHEESE cheddar 100g (3.5 ounces) 25 grams

ROAST BEEF ( 100g or 3.5 ounces ) 28 grams

ROAST CHICKEN 100g ( 3.5 ounces) 25 grams

OTHER MEATS AVERAGE (100g or 3.5 ounces) 25 grams

dev
2nd February 2010, 08:33 PM
Chevy & paramashivan, no need to seek permission... all are welcome...:)

Thanks a lot for the inputs Paramashivan...

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd February 2010, 08:35 PM

Dev

Ungaluk naa yaarenu theriyalaiya, therinja Pm pannuga :)

dev
2nd February 2010, 09:23 PM

Dev

Ungaluk naa yaarenu theriyalaiya, therinja Pm pannuga :)

PM poi paarunga saar... :P :P :P

Aarthii
3rd February 2010, 12:49 PM
Dev,have made ur Dal Makani as well as scrambled cauliflower for todays's lunch.Both came out very well .Thanks dev.Thanks for the nice recipes.

Afternoon sapittuttu innum deatila feedback sollaren.

Aarthii
3rd February 2010, 02:52 PM
Dev,had a nice lunch today.Both Dal makani and cauliflower came out very well.good taste.
We both liked it very much.Thanks dev.

mgb
3rd February 2010, 05:37 PM
Protein Rich food

how can you leave out "Chickpeas" (kondakadalai :P ) :)

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd February 2010, 05:40 PM
Protein Rich food

how can you leave out "Chickpeas" (kondakadalai :P ) :)

:oops:

One of my favourites, cos I am veggie :)

dev
3rd February 2010, 05:54 PM
Aarthii, :thumbsup:...

Mgb, 'Kondai'kadalaiai yaar marandhaalumm neenga marakka mmaateenga...;) :P

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd February 2010, 06:08 PM
Devuda

Pm padichEla , no rush, when wver you have time :)

dev
3rd February 2010, 06:57 PM
Devuda

Pm padichEla , no rush, when wver you have time :)

Reply panniruken... paarupa...:)

dev
3rd February 2010, 07:21 PM
Baingan Bharta:Roasted brinjal curry

Roat over open flame(medium) one medium sized baingan(purple big fat variety). U need to apply oil all ober the brinjal before roasting. U can use the oven for it but roasting over open flame or charcoal gives a spl flavour.

Once the brinjal is blackened all over,put it in a vessel & close with a lid & let cool.
Alternately u can dip it in water to cool it down.
Now peel off all the skin & mash it roughly or chop into small pieces. Mashing gives a nice texture.

Heat 2 tsp oil. Add 1/4 tsp jeera.saute.
Add 1 medium onion chopped. Let ir become golden.
Add 1 tsp grated gin-garlic. saute till flavourful.
Add chilly pwd, salt, 1 tsp cori pwd, 1/2 tsp garam masala. Saute for few secs.
Add 1 tomato chopped.Saute till pulpy.
Add in the mashed brinjal , very lil water & cook for few mins so that any brinjal pieces tht r not cooked gets cooked well & the bharta becomes thick .
Serve with rotis.

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd February 2010, 09:14 PM
Can some one tell me how to make 'Chilie Paneer' , please? I tried at home, but the cheese looked and tasted uncooked

thanks

dev
3rd February 2010, 09:32 PM
PS, the paneer is already cooked in the process of making paneer... so it doesn't need much cooking time... anyway, I'll see if I have any chilly paneer recipe in my file & let u know...

PARAMASHIVAN
3rd February 2010, 09:34 PM
PS, the paneer is already cooked in the process of making paneer... so it doesn't need much cooking time... anyway, I'll see if I have any chilly paneer recipe in my file & let u know...

nandri :)

dev
3rd February 2010, 10:11 PM
PS, here's a chili paneer recipe from my recipe file...

Chilli Paneer:

Cut the paneer(200 gms) into thick trips or to ur liking.

Make a batter - equal qty of maida & corn flour(say 4-5tbsp each) , 1 tsp soya sauce, white pepper pwd, salt, a pinch baking pwd,1/4 cup water.

Dip the paneer pieces in the batter & deep fry in hot oil until golden brown. U need to fry on medium-high heat. If the paneer is fried for long, it'll turn rubbery.

Heat a tsp oil(high heat) in another pan. Add 1 tsp chipped gin,2tsp chopped garlic, few spring onion whites(or normal onion-1 small) cut into mediumm sized sq pieces,2 g.chillies chopped. fry for a min or so.
Add 1/2 capsicum cut into medium sized sq pieces. Saute for a few more mins.
Add in the soy sauce-2tbsp, chilli sauce-1 tbsp(optional),sugar(use sugar if u r not using chilli sauce)-1tsp, salt(if needed),1/2 tsp white pepper pwd, 1 tbsp corn flour mixed with 3 tbsp water or veg stock & let it come to a boil.
Add the paneer pieces & keep stirring. cook on high heat until the sauce thickens & kind of coats the paneer & capsicum.

Serve hot.

Note:
U can try pan frying the paneer for a healthier version.

Madhu Sree
4th February 2010, 12:52 PM
DIET KITCHEN la panneer... :think: :P

dev
4th February 2010, 12:55 PM
MS, use low fat paneer to make it healthier...;) :lol:

Madhu Sree
4th February 2010, 12:57 PM
MS, use low fat paneer to make it healthier...;) :lol:

:P thts a kood idea... :lol2:

dev
4th February 2010, 12:58 PM
:D

dev
4th February 2010, 01:09 PM
Masala papad:

Roast 5 punjabi papads on direct flame or microwave it or in a preheated oven.
Brush one side with very lil oil. This step is optional though.

Mix together finely chopped onions,coriander leaves,amuchur pwd(substitute:lemon juice),salt & chilly pwd.

Sprinkle the onion mix & desseeded tomatoes chopped fine(optional) on the oiled side of the papad.

Serve immediately.

Selviem
4th February 2010, 01:22 PM
dev,
nice receipes, one by one i am trying. today i made mushroom. it came out very nicely, we liked it.

brocolli also tried, we liked it.

thanks dev

dev
4th February 2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the nice feedback,Selvi...

Today i made the mushroom fry & used it to make chapathi rolls/wraps. Just spread some thinly sliced onons,tomato chopped & cori leaves in a line on the centre of the chapathi. place the mushrooms on the onion mix & wrap it..

I sometimes add lil lemon juice,tomatoes, capscicum to the roll. It's all to taste.

PARAMASHIVAN
4th February 2010, 03:41 PM
PS, here's a chili paneer recipe from my recipe file...

Chilli Paneer:

Cut the paneer(200 gms) into thick trips or to ur liking.

Make a batter - equal qty of maida & corn flour(say 4-5tbsp each) , 1 tsp soya sauce, white pepper pwd, salt, a pinch baking pwd,1/4 cup water.

Dip the paneer pieces in the batter & deep fry in hot oil until golden brown. U need to fry on medium-high heat. If the paneer is fried for long, it'll turn rubbery.

Heat a tsp oil(high heat) in another pan. Add 1 tsp chipped gin,2tsp chopped garlic, few spring onion whites(or normal onion-1 small) cut into mediumm sized sq pieces,2 g.chillies chopped. fry for a min or so.
Add 1/2 capsicum cut into medium sized sq pieces. Saute for a few more mins.
Add in the soy sauce-2tbsp, chilli sauce-1 tbsp(optional),sugar(use sugar if u r not using chilli sauce)-1tsp, salt(if needed),1/2 tsp white pepper pwd, 1 tbsp corn flour mixed with 3 tbsp water or veg stock & let it come to a boil.
Add the paneer pieces & keep stirring. cook on high heat until the sauce thickens & kind of coats the paneer & capsicum.

Serve hot.

Note:
U can try pan frying the paneer for a healthier version.

thanks dev

dev
4th February 2010, 04:47 PM
PS, Senju paarthittu solunga - thank u va illai :argh:a nu...:lol:

PARAMASHIVAN
4th February 2010, 04:57 PM

Senju parkalam, aana enoda uyir-ku onum aapathilaiye :lol2: :lol2:

dev
4th February 2010, 04:57 PM

No guarantees... :lol:

PARAMASHIVAN
4th February 2010, 05:02 PM

hmm paravala 2ndu company life insurance eduthu vaichirukEn, I will try it on saturday and will let you know.. saturday-ku apurom post pannatee sangu otthitunga

dev
4th February 2010, 06:48 PM

hmm paravala 2ndu company life insurance eduthu vaichirukEn, I will try it on saturday and will let you know.. saturday-ku apurom post pannatee sangu otthitunga

:lol:

Good Luck boss!!!...I'll keep u in my prayers... :wink:

PARAMASHIVAN
4th February 2010, 06:55 PM

:lol:

Good Luck boss!!!...I'll keep u in my prayers... :wink:

hmm 'Ji' 'vargale' 'BOSS' shabba, UK la ullavangka, 'Thala' nu soluranga, annaiku oruthan 'Thailaivaa' naa, ithu enga pOi mudiyapothu-nu theriyalla : :sigh2:

dev
4th February 2010, 07:23 PM
saturday ellam mudinju pogaamma irundha sari...:noteeth:

PARAMASHIVAN
4th February 2010, 07:29 PM
saturday ellam mudinju pogaamma irundha sari...:noteeth:

:rotfl:

dev
4th February 2010, 09:31 PM
This is one famous dosai in bangalore restaurants...It's healthier coz of the vegs used & yummy too...use less oil to make the dosai though...

Spring Dosai : mixed veg dosai chinese style

Heat oil & add 1 med onion,thinly sliced. Now add in a mix of shredded vegs(carrot,cabbage)-2 cups,capsicum-thin strips- 1 large. if u have, u can add some bean sprouts-1/2 cup & they give a nice crunch to the dish. Stir on high heat for a min or so. Add soya sauce-2 tsp, szechuan sauce-3 tsp,pepper pwd-1/2 tsp,salt,sugar-a pinch.Mix well. Add spring onions-5,chopped with the bulb, stir to mix well & take off flame.

Spread the dosa batter to make thin dosai. Place the stuffing in the middle of the dosai & fold both sides to make it like a roll.

U can cut it into 3 pieces for easy handling.

Serve hot. U an eat it as such.

Note: if u don't have szechuan sauce, u can add chilli-gar sauce & lil vinegar but there'll be some diff in taste.

dev
6th February 2010, 07:14 PM
Thinking of adding Thinai in my diet... much more nutritious than rice...:think:

Anoushka
6th February 2010, 08:37 PM
what is thinai? ( pardon my ignorance)

dev
6th February 2010, 09:49 PM
Anou, Thinai is Quinoa...

Anoushka
7th February 2010, 03:21 AM
ok :)

dev
7th February 2010, 10:22 AM
Roasted Brinjal: karnataka style

Roast a large purple eggplant smeared with oil. You can make small slits or poke all around with a fork.
This can be done in an oven(350 f-40 mins or so) or over open flame.

make sure the eggplant is cooked thoroughly by poking it with a toothpick or knife.

Let the eggplant cool down & then peel its skin. Mash it.

Add to it some chopped onion,salt, lemon juice & 1 tbsp grated coconut.

Season with mustard, green chillies chopped, channa-urad dhal, hing.

Garnish with cilantro.

Serve with steaming rice. Yumm!!!

Goes well with rotis too.

dev
7th February 2010, 01:30 PM
Simple Onion-tomato curry:

slice 2 L.onions.
Chop 2 M.tomatoes.

Heat oil. Add the onions & let it turn translucent.
Add in chilli pwd, garam masala & coriander pwd. mix.
Immme add in the tomatoes,salt.
keep cooking until the tomatoes lose its shape & the raw smell of tomatoes goes away.
By now almost all the juices released by the tomatoes would have evaporated.
Take off flame.
Serve with chapathis or curd rice.

Note: u can add some water towards the end if u want a gravy kind of curry.

dev
7th February 2010, 01:55 PM
PS avargalai kaanavillai... ennacho theriyalaye...:shaking:

Selviem
7th February 2010, 03:45 PM
dev,
today tried ur dal makhani gravy, it came out very nicely. we all enjoyed it with roti. also made cauliflower , it is also nice.

brocoli yesterday i tried. awesome, so nice taste.

thanks dev

dev
7th February 2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the nice feedback Selvi...:) Hope the kids too enjoyed the meal...

dev
7th February 2010, 07:38 PM
Selvi, pls try the spring dosai once... I'm sure the kids will like it...

Selviem
7th February 2010, 07:41 PM
ofcourse dev, kids love that dhal. my younger just like to eat dhal without roti. here in temple they serve this dhal with bread. so he was happy that i made dhal like that, he also told me that, the exact taste i got.

normal when i make dhal makhani, i never used milk, but i use dhal makhani masala from MDH. i dont use butter, cream etc.

ur receipe with LF milk, definitely gave a different taste.
thanks dev.

Selviem
7th February 2010, 07:44 PM
dev,
sure i will try spring dosa this week for the tiffon box. i am sure my elder one will enjoy.
my elder one always like fusion cooking. i will try this for dinner one day, if kids show me green signal then i can pack for the box next day.

i will plan for tomorrow night and i will give u the feedback

Anoushka
7th February 2010, 07:46 PM
Roasted Brinjal: karnataka style

Roast a large purple eggplant smeared with oil. You can make small slits or poke all around with a fork.
This can be done in an oven(350 f-40 mins or so) or over open flame.

make sure the eggplant is cooked thoroughly by poking it with a toothpick or knife.

Let the eggplant cool down & then peel its skin. Mash it.

Add to it some chopped onion,salt, lemon juice & 1 tbsp grated coconut.

Season with mustard, green chillies chopped, channa-urad dhal, hing.

Garnish with cilantro.

Serve with steaming rice. Yumm!!!

Goes well with rotis too.

recipe looks like the sutta kathirikkai my parents make (my dad is an expert in it :slurp: but we don't add the coconut!

dev
7th February 2010, 10:10 PM
Anou, this recipe will taste divine if someone makes it for us... u see the roasting of the eggplant needs some patience which I seriously lack...;) :lol:

dev
7th February 2010, 10:11 PM
ofcourse dev, kids love that dhal. my younger just like to eat dhal without roti. here in temple they serve this dhal with bread. so he was happy that i made dhal like that, he also told me that, the exact taste i got.

normal when i make dhal makhani, i never used milk, but i use dhal makhani masala from MDH. i dont use butter, cream etc.

ur receipe with LF milk, definitely gave a different taste.
thanks dev.

Really glad tht I made ur kids happy with the dhal...:) :bluejump:

dev
7th February 2010, 10:12 PM
dev,
sure i will try spring dosa this week for the tiffon box. i am sure my elder one will enjoy.
my elder one always like fusion cooking. i will try this for dinner one day, if kids show me green signal then i can pack for the box next day.

i will plan for tomorrow night and i will give u the feedback

Pls do,Selvi...:)

dev
7th February 2010, 10:21 PM
Egg(white) omlette curry:

Beat 5 egg whites with salt & pepper(u can add green chillies instead),chopped onions,tomatoes chopped,capsicum chopped. Those not on diet can add whole eggs.
Heat a pan & grease it with oil.
Pour in the egg mixture-cook-flip & cook till done. The omlette shoud be lil thick.So use the right sized pan.
Take it on a plate & cut it into desired shape(sq,strips,diamond...whatever).I usually cut it into strips.

Heat 1 tbsp oil in the same pan.
Add 1 m.onion sliced thin. Saute till golden.
Add 1/4 tsp turmeric,chilli pwd,1 tsp coriander pwd. mix.
Add 1 large tomato pureed or copped very fine.
Saute until the curry becomes semi dry(oil oozing stage).
Add in the egg slices,a pinch of sugar(optional). Mix gently.
Serve with chapathis or rice.

Note: U can use the same base to make hard-boiled egg white curry.

Selviem
7th February 2010, 10:40 PM
Brinjal kosthu:
---------------

Brinjal - 2 cups, finely chopped
carrot - 1 medium sized , finely chopped.
in a pressure cooker, add a tsp of cooking oil, kadukku,urad dhal and 2 tblsp of kadalai paruppu, when it pops up add one red chilly, curry leaves, 2 cups of big onion chopped, 2 green chillies (roughly chopped), fry for 2 to 3 mins(frying is optional), add reqd salt, turmeric powder, add water according to the vegetables. close the cooker and allow for 2 whistles.
once the pressure is released, mix it with spoon, add tamarind extract(from small lemon size), allow it to boil.
in a pan dry fry 4 red chillies, 1 tblsp kadalai paruppu, 1 tblsp of coriander seeds, 2 tblsp of pottukadalai. grind this to a fine powder , add this to the cooked veges. let it boil for 2 to 3 min, now add a tsp of sugar, 2 to 3 tblsp of idli batter and let it boil for 2 to 3 mins.
garnish with coriander leaves. tastes is very good. It goes very well with idli, dosa, chapathi etc.

Anoushka
8th February 2010, 02:54 AM
Anou, this recipe will taste divine if someone makes it for us... u see the roasting of the eggplant needs some patience which I seriously lack...;) :lol: :D I don't do it, I leave it to the best (amma & appa). I have a genuine excuse, Prakash doesn't like any type of kathirikkai :lol:

Aarthii
8th February 2010, 11:12 AM
Dev,Eppadi irukeenga?

Ennai maranthutteenga pola ellarum. :cry:

My son suffered a lot frm fever and cold dev.Dev do u remember two weeks back i posted that he was suffering frm cld till now it was there.Koodava feverum appo appo varathu.

so blood test adhu idhunu busy aagiitten.Poor boy innum running nose stop aagamattenguthu.
Often Amma,nosea clean pannunganu solli aaluthu kitte irukan.
Nalla redish aagiduchu nosea.

Thanks for all the nice recipes dev.Will try out one by one.

Then saw ur helathy life style thread.Just by today only i came to read that thread.So angey thaan ellarum daily diet menu update panreengala.Thats good.

will come n join with u all soon.

Aarthii
8th February 2010, 11:13 AM
Selvik,thanks for the brinjal kothsu recipe.

Selviem
8th February 2010, 01:04 PM
Aarthi,
today only i was thinking, why no messages from Aarthi. take care of pranay. coz of the climate all kids are not keeping well.

so worried about kugan, no news from her. Hope ishu is recovering.

Selviem
8th February 2010, 01:04 PM
thanks aarthi, u try that kosthu. it will be very nice.

kugan98
8th February 2010, 03:19 PM
Friends, my last posting was in page 4.
Today it is page 10. Congrats Dev, I am soo happy for you.

I came home from hospital as they say in Tamil "kaanchi poyee"
Lost weight with Aishu, lack of sleep and rest.

Dev, Selviem neeraiya super recipe ellam post panni irukkeringga.
Let me rest few days and start cooking all your recipes.
I have to take some time to go through the recipes.

Thanks Dev and Selviem.
Kugan98

Selviem
8th February 2010, 03:27 PM
kugan,
nice to see u back. i was so worried, praying to god that all should be well with u.
take care and catch with the receipes, once u come to normal.
selvi

PARAMASHIVAN
8th February 2010, 03:44 PM

Uyiroda thaan iruken :twisted: :lol:

I did do the chillie paneer, it was awsome ( I Put around 20 green chillies :lol2: ), it turned out like proper stuff u get from resturants, thanks , thanks devuda :notworthy:

I made vegie noodles as well :)

kugan98
8th February 2010, 04:05 PM
Aarthii I have pmed you.
Take care of Pranay. Take him to a good hospital.
Our prayers are with you.
Thanks. Kugan98

kugan98
8th February 2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks Selviem for your kind prayers.
Take care. Kugan98

Aarthii
8th February 2010, 04:20 PM
Aarthi,
today only i was thinking, why no messages from Aarthi. take care of pranay. coz of the climate all kids are not keeping well.

so worried about kugan, no news from her. Hope ishu is recovering.

Yes selvika,u r absolutely right.Here frm peak winter,it changed to sunny,and now it is cloudy.So intha weather changesla kids adapt aagrathu kastama iruku.

Wating for the blood result selvika.Koodava avanuku eyes itchingum vanthuduchu.Fever now ok.But Cold is still there.

will try ur brinjal kothsu soon and will tell u the feedback.

Aarthii
8th February 2010, 04:21 PM
Aarthii I have pmed you.
Take care of Pranay. Take him to a good hospital.
Our prayers are with you.
Thanks. Kugan98

Thanks for ur kind concern kuganka.U r really great.

PARAMASHIVAN
8th February 2010, 05:38 PM
Dev,Eppadi irukeenga?

My son suffered a lot frm fever and cold dev.Dev do u remember two weeks back i posted that he was suffering frm cld till now it was there.Koodava feverum appo appo varathu.

so blood test adhu idhunu busy aagiitten.Poor boy innum running nose stop aagamattenguthu.

Then saw ur helathy life style thread.Just by today only i came to read that thread.So angey thaan ellarum daily diet menu update panreengala.Thats good.

Hi

If you don't mind me asking, how old is your son?

If he is above 1 year old, give him 'Organic' honey (1tea spoon), and I teaspoon of lemon mixed in 250 ml of warm water, 4 times a day. He should drink plenty of warm water.

When he sleeps, do not cover him with lots of bed sheet, blankets quiilts..etc and dont keep him at home all time, take him out if you can

PARAMASHIVAN
8th February 2010, 05:39 PM

Thanks Dev and Selviem.
Kugan98

sorry to hear that, hope nothing serious

kugan98
8th February 2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks P.Shivan. Aishu is so much better now.
Please also visit Kugan's Kitchen 3.
Thanks. Kugan98

Anoushka
8th February 2010, 07:12 PM
Dev,Eppadi irukeenga?

Hi

If he is above 1 year old, give him 'Organic' honey (1tea spoon), and I teaspoon of lemon mixed in 250 ml of warm water, 4 times a day. He should drink plenty of warm water.

When he sleeps, do not cover him with lots of bed sheet, blankets quiilts..etc and dont keep him at home all time, take him out if you can

PS: Quick curiosity question... I have always wondered how can one ensure the honey is organic? How can you determine what flowers a bee got honey from? Again, I do not know anything about bee farming, so it will be nice to know! :)

PARAMASHIVAN
8th February 2010, 07:37 PM
Dev,Eppadi irukeenga?

Hi

PS: Quick curiosity question... I have always wondered how can one ensure the honey is organic? How can you determine what flowers a bee got honey from? Again, I do not know anything about bee farming, so it will be nice to know! :)

Organic Honey is regulated by strict set of guidelines, which covers not only the origin of bees, but also the siting of the apiaries. The standards indicate that the apiaries must be on land that is certified as organic and be such that within a radius of 4 miles from the apiary site, nectar and pollen sources consist essentially of organic crops or uncultivated areas.

Anoushka
8th February 2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks PS for patiently explaining, it is good to know :)

PARAMASHIVAN
8th February 2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks PS for patiently explaining, it is good to know :)

No praablam, aapesula velai onum illa athu thaan patiently post panren :lol2:

dev
8th February 2010, 10:52 PM
Aarthii, I was thinking abt u yday...PM pannalaamnu irundhen...but edho velaila marathitten....inniku full busy...

Pranay kuttiya nalla paartukonga... itchy eyes & running nose irunthitte irundha it might be some allergy(maybe dust,pollen,smoke etc etc)... En kuttiku andha problem irundhichu for around 2-3 months & after a good course of homeopathic medicine for the allergic rhinitis, she has been keeping well so far...

Take him to a good doc... we'll all keep himm in our prayers...

Pls keep us updated even if u r not able to visit the hub daily...

Take care Aarthii...

dev
8th February 2010, 10:53 PM
Anou, this recipe will taste divine if someone makes it for us... u see the roasting of the eggplant needs some patience which I seriously lack...;) :lol: :D I don't do it, I leave it to the best (amma & appa). I have a genuine excuse, Prakash doesn't like any type of kathirikkai :lol:

Angeyum adhe kadhaiya... here too, S just hates anything brinjal... edho theendathagdha porul maadhiri paarpar... But I just love brinjals...

dev
8th February 2010, 10:55 PM

I did do the chillie paneer, it was awsome ( I Put around 20 green chillies :lol2: ), it turned out like proper stuff u get from resturants, thanks , thanks devuda :notworthy:

20 green chillies!!!.. now i know the reason for ur absence... :lol: :wink:

Anyway, glad u liked it... :)

dev
8th February 2010, 10:57 PM

Thanks Dev and Selviem.
Kugan98

Thanks a lot K...

K, take good care of urself & Aishu... cooking ellam aprom paarthukalaam...:)

dev
9th February 2010, 10:01 AM
Selvi, thanks a lot for the kothsu recipe... recipe is very diff...adding idli batter to the curry!!!...Will try it & let u know...:)

Aarthii
9th February 2010, 11:00 AM
.Hi

Hi PS(Hope u dont mind me calling like that)

My son is 2 1/2 years old.I used to give him honey mixed along with fruit salads as well as milk.But have not tried with lemon juice.
Thanks for ur nice & useful suggestion.will try to give to my son soon.

Aarthii
9th February 2010, 11:06 AM
Aarthii, I was thinking abt u yday...PM pannalaamnu irundhen...but edho velaila marathitten....inniku full busy...

Pranay kuttiya nalla paartukonga... itchy eyes & running nose irunthitte irundha it might be some allergy(maybe dust,pollen,smoke etc etc)... En kuttiku andha problem irundhichu for around 2-3 months & after a good course of homeopathic medicine for the allergic rhinitis, she has been keeping well so far...

Take him to a good doc... we'll all keep himm in our prayers...

Thanks for ur kind concern dev.

Hmm,doctorum adhe thaan sollaranga dev.Medicines koduthu irukanga.frm yesterday night,eye redishness parava illa.

Homepathy try pannalamu ninaicha inge suit aagamattenguthu.

Morning avanala eyesa open pannava mudiyala dev,two to three days ennake avana parthu aalugai vanthuduchu.But today morning koncham parava illai.

He is not eating anything dev.Ethai kettalum,no thaan.He is refusing everything even milk too.

dev
9th February 2010, 11:14 AM
Aarthii, try to find out what the allergen is & keep him away from it... Tha should reduce the problem considerably... try dusting his bed,pillows(keep him away when u r doing this)...maybe it' the dust in his bed tht is aggravating the problem...

Food...just give him whatever he asks for...even if it's not very healthy... verai enna panradhu!!!...

kugan98
9th February 2010, 11:53 AM
Aarhii, Dev has given very good tips.
Follow them carefully.
Thanks. Kugan98

dev
9th February 2010, 03:18 PM
Palak babycorn:

Cook the sliced babycorn(abt 1/2 cup) in lil water & salt till done.

Blanch 1 bunch spinach , drain & puree.

heat oil. Add in 1 m.onion,chopped & cook till transparent.
Add a paste made from 4 cloves garlic, 1' gin & green chillies,salt. Saute till flavorful.

Add turmeric pwd, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/3 tsp garamm masala. mix.

Add puree made fromm 2 med tomatoes. cook till dryish.
Add the palak puree, 1/4 cup low fat milk, the corn.
Let it come to a simmer.
Done.

Serve with chapathis.

PARAMASHIVAN
9th February 2010, 03:24 PM

20 green chillies!!!.. now i know the reason for ur absence... :lol: :wink:

Anyway, glad u liked it... :)

hmm Shivaji padam gynabahathuku vanthirukmE :lol2:

dev
9th February 2010, 05:07 PM
:exactly:

kugan98
9th February 2010, 05:12 PM
Dev , I am very happy that your thread is moving fast.

Friends please follow Dev's recipes for 5 days.
Appuram weekend konjam Kugan's Threadukku vaanga

Ennakku aluva aluvaiyaai varuthu :cry2: :cry2:

Dev, konjam eduthu sollungga :roll:

Thanks. Kugan98

Selviem
9th February 2010, 05:56 PM
kugan,
do not worry. i am ur side. weekend no diet.

Madhu Sree
9th February 2010, 06:05 PM
Raagi roti:

Raagi flour
Raddish - 1 cup (add some more veggies, like carrot, cabbage if u want)
Pepper Powder - 1/4 tbsp
Sukku - add little
Salt

Method:

Add water and prepare the dough. Leave it for 10 mins. Now, take a ball size of the dough, dont knead it, rather, press it with in ur palm and fry on the tawa.

Serve hot with tomato chutney. :)

dev
9th February 2010, 06:11 PM
Kugan, apdi ellamm solla kudathu... veetil naanga mattum thaane diet...appadiye irundhaalum meeri meeri pona 6 maasamm diet iruppom... apromm ellam unga recipes thaane...:)

dev
9th February 2010, 06:15 PM
MS, Raagi roti recipe diff-a irukku... usualaa onion thaan add pannuvom... Senju paarkiren idhayum... thanks a lot for the recipe...:P

Madhu Sree
9th February 2010, 06:19 PM
MS, Raagi roti recipe diff-a irukku... usualaa onion thaan add pannuvom... Senju paarkiren idhayum... thanks a lot for the recipe...:P

Mom made this today morning :) she is really helping me to diet :oops: :D

dev
9th February 2010, 10:30 PM
I'm planning a mix veg salad with curd dressing to go into my BF bread tomorrow. & the recipe is from www.sailusfood.com.

I'm posting the recipe here for easy reference.

4C salad (Cabbage-carrot-capsicum-cucumber salad):

Mix together fine shredded cabbage, grated carrot, chopped cucumber,onions & capsicum along with thick curd, salt,sugar(optional), green chilli minced(opt)toasted & ground cumin & mustard seeds-1 tsp each.

Serve chilled.

ksen
9th February 2010, 11:58 PM
Palak Dhal

Pressure cook 1/2 cup thuvaram paruppu with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, a pinch of hing, 4 cloves garlic (lightly crushed), and 3 slit green chillies (more if you like).

Roughly chop one bunch palak including the stems. Boil the greens in little water, with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and 1/4 tsp hing. When the palak is cooked add the dhal, salt to taste, 1/4 tsp sugar, and simmer for 5 minutes.

This doesn't need tempering. If you want, temper with a tsp oil, kadugu and a pinch of hing. Tastes yummy with rice.

Selviem
10th February 2010, 12:27 AM
dev,
palak babycorn receipe looks different, i never tried this combination. let me try and give u the feed back.

i tried ur spring dosa, it is toooo good. it taste like spring roll. my son named it as baked spring roll. very good for the kids to carry in their box.

i didnt get szechuan sauce nearby my house. so i managed with the sauces i had. through this week i will try in the big supermarkets and let me try again.

thanks dev.

kugan98
10th February 2010, 04:50 AM
Madhu, Ksen and Dev thanks a lot.
So many super recipes.

I will have to try one by one.
Tomorrow is my mass feeding day.
First I wanted to make rasam soru.

But K.L is scorching hot.
So I decided to make tayir saatham.

Thanks. Kugan98

dev
10th February 2010, 09:45 AM
Ksen, palak dhal recipe easyaa irukku... usually add the greens along with the dhal & pressure cook...will try ur method as well...
:)

dev
10th February 2010, 09:49 AM
dev,
palak babycorn receipe looks different, i never tried this combination. let me try and give u the feed back.

i tried ur spring dosa, it is toooo good. it taste like spring roll. my son named it as baked spring roll. very good for the kids to carry in their box.

i didnt get szechuan sauce nearby my house. so i managed with the sauces i had. through this week i will try in the big supermarkets and let me try again.

thanks dev.

Glad u liked the spring dosai... It's one of my fav & when in b'lore, it'll be my standard order when we eat out... What r the sauces u used?...I want to try the diff commbi of sauces aswell...

Do try the palak babycorn & let mme know the feedback...:)

Madhu Sree
10th February 2010, 01:36 PM
Palak Dhal

Nice recipe will try n let u know, thanks :)

Madhu Sree
10th February 2010, 01:38 PM
I'm planning a mix veg salad with curd dressing to go into my BF bread tomorrow. & the recipe is from www.sailusfood.com.

I'm posting the recipe here for easy reference.

Cabbage-carrot-capsicum-cucumber salad:

Mix together fine shredded cabbage, grated carrot, chopped cucumber,onions & capsicum along with thick curd, salt,sugar(optional), green chilli minced(opt)toasted & ground cumin & mustard seeds-1 tsp each.

Serve chilled.

:cool2:

Kandippaa try pannanum, aanaa enakku capsicum raw-aa saapita pidikkaadhu :-|. But hv to try this :).

Slight variation, curdku padhila yogurt use pannunga :D

dev
10th February 2010, 01:45 PM
MS, capsicumm pidikaadhuna adhai vittitu kaaram kammiya irukira green chillies add pannikonga...

nice tip...thanks...:)

dev
10th February 2010, 01:53 PM
Just saw this recipe on Podhigai channel.

Tomato accordion:

Slit a firm but ripe tomato lengthwise(3 slits). keep the base(top side of the tomato is the base here) intact. Remove the seeds,pulp inside.

Mix together hung curd, sweet corn(boiled), cucummber, capsicum, salt, pepper, chaat masala.

Part the slits of the tomato sgently & stuff it with the mixture. The resultant dish will look like accordion(musical instrument).

Serve with chapathi or eat as such.

Note: The same recipe can be made using eggs instead of tomato. remove the yolk in that case.

U can also use baby tomatoes. Cut into half, remove seeds,pulp & place the stuffing. This will be easier to eat.

Selviem
10th February 2010, 01:56 PM
dev,

i used maggi seasoning(liquid), chilli garlic sauce, nando peri-peri sauce.

tomorrow i will come back to u with the feed back of palak babycorn

Selviem
10th February 2010, 02:00 PM
dev,

cabbage, carrot, cucumber,capsicum salad yesterday night. awesome, salad. i made with different colours of capsicum. very nice.

we named as 4c salad.

thanks dev

kugan98
10th February 2010, 02:38 PM
[tscii]Selviem you are great, trying out all Dev's recipes.

Dev, thanks a lot for all the nice recipes.

SPINACH WITH TOFU OR PANNER

Ingredients:
(A)
3 cups finely chopped spinach
1 tbs lime juice
1 tomato blanched and pureed
2 shallots minced
4 garlic pips crushed
¼ inch ginger crushed
½ tsp chillie powder
Little tumeric powder
Salt to taste

(B)
1 tsp flour
250 grms tofu or panner cut into pieces

Method:
Put all the ingredients in ( A ) into a pot.
Cook without adding water till soft.

Remove and mash into a paste.
Add in 1 cup of water and mix well.

Reheat and add the flour, keep stirring till the
Mixture turns little thick.
Add in the tofu or the panner, cook for another 5 minutes.
Remove and serve hot with chapathis.

dev
10th February 2010, 04:20 PM
dev,

i used maggi seasoning(liquid), chilli garlic sauce, nando peri-peri sauce.

tomorrow i will come back to u with the feed back of palak babycorn

peri-peri sauce is new to me... will c if I can get it here...

4C salad is a nice name for the salad... I'll edit the post to add the new name to the salad... Thanks Selvi for the nice feedback & new name to the salad...

dev
10th February 2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the spinach tofu recipe Kugan...:)

Selviem
10th February 2010, 06:04 PM
kugan,

spianch tofu is very interesting. i will make this saturday and let u know the feedback.

PARAMASHIVAN
10th February 2010, 06:51 PM
[tscii]Selviem you are great, trying out all Dev's recipes.

Dev, thanks a lot for all the nice recipes.

SPINACH WITH TOFU OR PANNER

Ingredients:
(A)
3 cups finely chopped spinach
1 tbs lime juice
1 tomato blanched and pureed
2 shallots minced
4 garlic pips crushed
¼ inch ginger crushed
½ tsp chillie powder
Little tumeric powder
Salt to taste

(B)
1 tsp flour
250 grms tofu or panner cut into pieces

Method:
Put all the ingredients in ( A ) into a pot.
Cook without adding water till soft.

Remove and mash into a paste.
Add in 1 cup of water and mix well.

Reheat and add the flour, keep stirring till the
Mixture turns little thick.
Add in the tofu or the panner, cook for another 5 minutes.
Remove and serve hot with chapathis.

thanks ka, I love tofu and spinach :2thumbsup: :cheer: :happydance: :redjump:

dev
10th February 2010, 08:07 PM
Here's a recipe for a healthy snack...Four-seed snapper crackers

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-crackerrec28b-2008may28,0,1422400.story

kugan98
11th February 2010, 01:13 PM
P.Shivan tamby thanks that you like spinach and tofu.
Here in Malaysia we get lot of tofu,
So in all panner recipes I will subtitute with tofu.

I am not clever in low calorie recipes.
We should be thankful to Dev for all her nice recipes.
Thanks. Kugan98

kugan98
11th February 2010, 01:15 PM
Selviem methuva try panni sollungga.
Would not be as tasty as Dev's recipes.
She is an expert in low calorie recipes.
Thanks. Kugan98

kugan98
11th February 2010, 05:59 PM
[tscii]Here is a simple raitha, which my aunt told over the phone, while discussing about the paruthi.

DRUMSTICK FLESH IN CURDS

Ingredients:

4 big drumsticks.
½ cup beaten curds
1 shallot chopped fine
Little coriander leaves chopped fine
2 green chillies chopped fine
¼ tsp ginger finely minced
¼ tsp cumin seeds, roasted and coarsely pounded.
5 roasted groundnuts coarsely pounded
Salt to taste

Method:

Cut the drumsticks into 2 pieces.
Steam them till cooked.
Slit open and remove the pith with a spoon.
Mix all the ingredients well with the flesh. (pith)
Serve cold as a raitha.

Selviem
11th February 2010, 07:18 PM
kugan, drumstick flesh with curd is a different receipe, sounds so interesting. i will try this for tomorrow lunch and i will come back to u.

Selviem
11th February 2010, 07:19 PM
come on, kugan. donot talk about cleverness. diet cooking is control our oil, salt, sugar, coconut thats all. Our day today cooking only we can follow SOS. initially it will be difficult for us, then we will enjoy.

dev
11th February 2010, 09:11 PM
very diff recipe,K... will try it somemtime...:)

As selvi said, diet cooking is not rocket science... just a few experiments & u'll get the hang of it...

dev
11th February 2010, 09:13 PM
Spicy Watermelon:

Just sprinkle salt & KMP over the watermelon chunks... & eat...:)

Salt & pepper also goes well.

dev
11th February 2010, 09:25 PM
Here r some fun ways to include watermelon in ur diet... thanks to http://www.watermelon.org for the recipes...

Summer Pita Sandwich

Ingredients:
4 wedges seeded watermelon
1 cup diced cooked chicken
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
Dash cayenne pepper
2 whole pita breads, halved
1/4 cup prepared spreadable herb cheese
4 large lettuce leaves

Instructions:
Place sliced watermelon on paper towels to remove excess liquid. Mix chicken, cilantro, yogurt, garlic salt and cayenne.

Spread inside surfaces of pita bread halves with herbed cheese and fill each with about 1/4 cup chicken mixture. Arrange watermelon and lettuce in pita bread.

dev
11th February 2010, 09:27 PM
Granola-watermelon-banana yogurt:

Ingredients
1/3 cup low fat granola
¾ cup de-seeded watermelon chunks
5 ounces low fat banana (or other substitute) yogurt

Instructions
In a large, cylindrical glass, to go cup container or plastic glass, create the following parfait:
Bottom layer: Low fat Granola
Next Layer: Small chunks of seeded watermelon
Next Layer: Banana Yogurt
Next Layer: Low fat Granola
Next Layer: Small chunks of seeded watermelon
Top Layer: Banana Yogurt

Garnish:
A slice of banana, toasted almonds or coconut, a wedge of watermelon, a strawberry or an orange wheel
[/tscii:99d8333ebe][font=Courier, monospace]

dev
11th February 2010, 09:28 PM
Watermelon banana split:

A Healthy Twist to an Old Favorite

Ingredients

2 bananas
1 medium watermelon
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup diced fresh pineapple
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1/4 cup caramel fruit dip
1/4 cup honey roasted almonds

Instructions

Peel bananas and cut in half lengthwise then cut each piece in half. For each serving, lay 2 banana pieces against sides of shallow dish. Using an ice cream scooper, place three watermelon "scoops" in between each banana in each dish. Remove seeds if necessary. Top each watermelon "scoop" with a different fruit topping. Drizzle caramel fruit dip over all. Sprinkle with almonds. Makes 4 servings.

dev
11th February 2010, 09:29 PM
[tscii:fe0420de39]Salsa:

2 cans corn kernels, rinsed and drained
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 purple onion, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons mild chili powder
Juice from 2 fresh limes
¼ cup olive oil
Salt to taste
3 cups chopped seedless watermelon

Mix together all ingredients except watermelon until well combined. Gently fold in watermelon. Chill. Serves 12 to 18.
[/tscii:fe0420de39]

Selviem
12th February 2010, 02:22 AM
dev,
good to see variety of watermelon receipes. i will try one by one. still climate here is very cold, after 2 or 3 weeks i can try.

Also i tried palak babycorn today, i packed it to my friend's house. we had it with rotis. we all liked it.
Brocoli i made as a starter , one pot bryani as main dish. all the dishes are superhit.
thanks dev

dev
12th February 2010, 12:57 PM
glad u all enjoyed the dishes...:) I'm planning to make one pot biriyani using broken wheat... will try & let u know how it turns out...

kugan98
12th February 2010, 01:50 PM
Dev, very good cooling recipes for the hot season.
All sound very super.
Thanks, dev.
Kugan98

kugan98
12th February 2010, 01:59 PM
This flavourful subzi is adapted from a recipe by Tarla Dalal to suit my taste.

Scrambled cauliflower:

Grind to a paste -5 cloves garlic, 1" ginger, green chillies, 2 each clove & cardamom, 5-6 peppercorns, 1 tsp cumin & red chilli pwd,turmeric pwd.

Heat a tbsp oil. Add 1 medium onion chopped fine. Fry till light brown.
Add in the paste & cook for 4-5 mmins.
Add puree made from 2 tomatoes.Cook till dry & raw smell goes off.
Add in 1 medium cauliflower grated (abt 2-21/2 cups), salt, lil water. cover & cook till done.

Serve with roti or whole wheat bread.

Note:

U can add lil grated paneer also. In that case add it when the cauliflower is 3/4th cooked.

Dev, I cooked this dish today.
I am fasting today, so the family enjoyed it.
They said , they cannot see it as a low calorie food.
Tastes wonderful was their comment.
Will do it another day to taste.
Thanks. Kugan98

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2912/cauliflower.jpg (http://img39.imageshack.us/i/cauliflower.jpg/)

dev
12th February 2010, 03:42 PM
K, glad ppl at home liked the low calorie food...:D U can grate the cauliflower for this curry so tht it absorbs all the flavours & taste well... Do try it & taste it another time & let me know your feedback too...:)

PARAMASHIVAN
12th February 2010, 03:48 PM
Devuda

Pesama oru Puthaham ezhuthunga unga receipes - a vachu , balakumaran mathiri famous ahiduveenga :lol2:

dev
12th February 2010, 07:02 PM
suggestionku rombe nandri,PS... but all these recipes are from my recipe file which means most of it are from some cookery show or the other... or maybe from some blogs... so it cant be called my own recipes... only a few r my own creations...

dev
12th February 2010, 07:45 PM
Broken wheat- veg kanji:

3/4th cup broken wheat, 1/4 cup yellow moong dhal- soak both for about 2 hrs in warm water

Heat oil+ ghee- 2 tsp. add in crushed pattai, lavang, cardamom,peppercorns. also add in fennel seeds,jeera. let it turn golden.

Add g.chilly,1 onion chopped, 1 tsp gin-gar paste. fry till flavourful. onions neednt brown.

Adda few curry leaves, 1 tomato chopped, 1/2 handful each of cori & mint leaves(roughly chopped). Give it a good mix.

Add in a bowl or more of mixed vegs(I used carrot,beans,peas). mix well.

Add in the wheat-dhal mix.

Add req water, salt. Cover & cook for 4-5 whistles or till done.

You can add 1/4 cup of low fat milk now & give it a simmer. but this is purely optional.

Now taste it & add more salt,chilly pwd,water if req. Simmer for 5 mins or so.

kugan98
13th February 2010, 08:18 AM
Dev you wheat kanji sounds very nice.
I like such things.
To day too much of cooking in the house.
Will try tomorrow.
Hope my stomach listens to me today,
and turns away from all the unhealthy foods :lol:
Thanks, Dev. Kugan98

dev
13th February 2010, 06:48 PM
:lol:@ Kugan...

Do try the kanji...it's very filling...i've made some changes to haleem to make it healthier... it tasted good both with milk & without milk... hubby has mnammed it biriyani kanji...:lol:

Selviem
13th February 2010, 10:08 PM
dev,
i will do the kanji with oats, also with red rice.(not the palakad matta rice).

it will be very tasty. for night it is filling.

selvi

kugan98
14th February 2010, 05:49 AM
KAMBU ROTI

Ingredients:

2 cups kambu flour
1/2 cup finely chopped spinach leaves
2 green chillies minced
1/2 tsp ginger paste
little coriander leaves finely minced
salt to taste.

Method:
Mix together all the ingredients.
Add enough water to form a stiff dough.
Divide the dough into lime-sized balls.

Shape each ball into round roti with your hands.
place on a well heated dosai kal, which has been sprinkled
lightly with water.
Cook on both the sides till done, on a low flame.
Goes well with garlic chutney.

Kugan98

dev
14th February 2010, 11:09 AM
I've tried kerala rice & wild rice for kanji...but not red rice , oats...oats- I'm not a fan of it... red rice, I'll give a try if I can find it here...:)

dev
15th February 2010, 10:09 AM
Had 4c salad sandwiched between slices of ragi bread & it was...yummmmmm!!!...

Selviem
16th February 2010, 01:38 PM
dev,
can u please suggest low calorie dessert for my party. i am baking vanilla cake. apart from this i need to make one more.

thanks dev

dev
16th February 2010, 02:00 PM
Selvi, u can make carrot halwa...

Here's a low fat recipe for u...

Carrot Halwa:

Take equal quantity of grated carrot & low fat milk, say 1 cup each. Put it in a cooker & pressure cook for 2 whistles.Let the pressure release.

Now add req sugar, low fat milk powder(around 3 tbsp or more) cardamom powder & cook for further 4-5 mins.

Heat a spoonful of ghee & add req rasisins & cashews. once the cashews brown & raisins puff up, add to the halwa. mix well. Serve warm.

Note: follow the same method to make beetroot halwa.

dev
16th February 2010, 02:06 PM
Carrot kheer:

Peel & cut carrots roughly & pressurecook till soft.
Puree it when cool.

Heat a tbsp ghee. Add broken cashews(break into small pieces ot slice it thin). Transfer the puree to the pan & add req sugar. let the sugar melt & the puree thicken a bit. Add cardamom pwd. mix. U can store this in the fridge for a few days.

When req, heat low fat milk & add req amt of the carrot mix & let it come to a boil.

Serve warm or cold. It's best served cold.

Note: U can use the same method for beetroot kheer.

dev
16th February 2010, 02:13 PM
[tscii:22487ba58c]You can also try some fruit lollies for kids. For others, u can make mango kulfi or fruit salad topped with ice cream. but since u told it's cold inn ur place, I doubt if this would be a good option...

Hmmmm... or u can make semiya kheer using low fat milk & serve warm.

Rasmalai also would be a good option. use store bought rasagulla(haldiramms) & for the malai, dip it in warm water & squeeze all the juices/water out. use lowfat milk + cashew paste,cardamom, saffron,(instead u can use badam masala MTR brand ) + sugar. Garnish with slices pista.

or u can try Mrs.mano's recipe for rasmalai if u want to make it from scratch. here's the recipe for ur reference.

RASMALAI:

Ingredients:

Full cream milk powder- 1 ¼ cup
Plain flour- 1 tsp
Baking powder- 1 tsp
Oil- 1 tbsp
Egg-1
Saffron- 2 pinches
Cardamom powder- 1 tsp
Finely sliced almond- 2 tbsp
Finely chopped pista- 2 tbsp

For the milk:

Slightly warm water – 4 cups
Milk powder- 20tsp
Sugar to taste

Procedure:

Combine the milk powder with the baking powder and the plain flour and sieve them thrice. Add the oil and mix well with the fingers thoroughly. Then add the egg and mix well to make a smooth dough. Make smooth balls of small gooseberry size[arai nellikkai]. Mix the milk powder with the warm water. Add enough sugar according to yr taste. Heat a broad vessel and pour the milk. When it starts to simmer, reduce the fire a little [ but the milk should be simmering-not vigorously] Drop the balls five at a time very slowly. When the balls are cooked, they will double in size and come to the top. Then again add another set of balls. Thus complete all the balls. Let the milk simmer for another five minutes. Sprinkle the almond and pista on top. Put off the fire. When cooled, keep it in the fridge and serve. [/tscii:22487ba58c]

kugan98
16th February 2010, 05:27 PM
Yummy recipes Dev,
In our country its burning hot.
The heat is 35 degrees
Thanks, Dev, Kugan98

dev
16th February 2010, 05:51 PM
K, appo rasmmalai & carrot kheet senju nalla chill pannni kudinga/saapidunga...:slurp:

dev
16th February 2010, 06:40 PM
Cauliflower corn curry:

Pre-cook cauliflower & corn kernels - 1 cup put together, in salted water. set aside.

Heat oil. Add in grated onion-1,gin-gar-1 tsp. saute till nice & brown. The raw smell of onion should go away.

Add garam masala-1/2 tsp or curry masala, turmeric, chily pwd, salt. Mix.

Add 1 big tomato pureed. Cook till dry & flavourful.

Add in the vegs & mix well. Add lil water if the curry sticks to the pan. Saute for 2-3 mins.

garnnish with coriander leaves.

This is a dry curry. Goes well with chapathis.

Selviem
16th February 2010, 11:05 PM
dev,
thanks for ur ideas. rasagulla converting into rasamalai will be a best option. i will try that way. coz, i would prefer to simplify the job. i am already overloaded.
menu for that day is nachos(readymade), made salsa at home (i referred kugan's and tarladalal receipe). it came out very nicely. very easy to prepare.
salad i referred tarladalal's thread.
garlic bread
idiyappam (plan to buy)
chicken curry
veg stew
rava idli
kara chutney
mutton bryani
onion raitha
curd rice
vanilla cake
rasamalai

i will try rasamalai and let u know the feedback.

Selviem
16th February 2010, 11:06 PM
dev,
i will buy rasagulla, i will squeeze out the water. then as u said i will prepare milk and add rasagulla to it.how long it should boil. plz let me know.

Suja Rajkumar
16th February 2010, 11:35 PM
Selviem,
If you get Ricotta cheese where you live you can make rasamali with it. It comes out good. If you are interested will post recipe.

Suja

dev
17th February 2010, 12:15 PM
Selvi, boil the milk with cashew paste & saffron till the desired thickness is almost reached... then all the rasgulla balls & boil for around 3-4 mins.

kugan98
17th February 2010, 12:44 PM
Selviem and Suja, both of you all are fantastic people.
So many dishes.

aamaa athu enna rendu perum 19th virunthu vaikereengga.
Anything special?

Thanks. Kugan98

Selviem
17th February 2010, 01:49 PM
suja,
i live in UAE, i get ricotta cheese over here, but i am planning to try as per dev's receipe. coz whatever i get near my house i have to manage with that. i dont get ricotta cheese nearby.

thanks for ur suggestion. u post ur receipe too. i will try urs relaxl.

Selviem
17th February 2010, 01:50 PM
dev,
thanks a lot for the guidance. i am planning to do tomorrow.

Madhu Sree
17th February 2010, 02:00 PM
Corn Rava upma:

I prepared this upma today morning for lunch :D.

Ingredients:

Corn rava - 1 cup
Olive oil - juz 1 tbsp
Veggies (Carrot, beans, cauliflower, onion peas) - 1 1/2 cup
Salt - depends, while on diet it is better to add less salt
Pepper powder - 1/2 tbsp
Water - Check the rava granules, if is in normal size as sooji rava, then use 1 1/2 cup water, if it is bigger than that, then, use 2 cups water :D

Method:

In a pressure cooker, heat oil, add all the veggies, pepper powder, salt and fry for a minute.

Now add water, mix well.

Now add corn rava and give a gud mix.

Close the lid, leave it for 1 - 2 whistles. Serve hot.

Preparation time: 15 mins.

PARAMASHIVAN
17th February 2010, 03:13 PM
Corn Rava upma:

I prepared this upma today morning for lunch :D.

Ingredients:

Corn rava - 1 cup
Olive oil - juz 1 tbsp
Veggies (Carrot, beans, cauliflower, onion peas) - 1 1/2 cup
Salt - depends, while on diet it is better to add less salt
Pepper powder - 1/2 tbsp
Water - Check the rava granules, if is in normal size as sooji rava, then use 1 1/2 cup water, if it is bigger than that, then, use 2 cups water :D

Method:

In a pressure cooker, heat oil, add all the veggies, pepper powder, salt and fry for a minute.

Now add water, mix well.

Now add corn rava and give a gud mix.

Close the lid, leave it for 1 - 2 whistles. Serve hot.

Preparation time: 15 mins.

Unmaiya solunga neenga kalavEdtha receipe thaane ithu :lol2:

dev
17th February 2010, 03:16 PM
interesting recipe... inga corn rava kidaikudhanu paarkannum...

Madhu Sree
17th February 2010, 03:23 PM

apdinaaa I didnt get u :? enakku puriyala... u mean sutta recipe nu solreengalaa... :?

PARAMASHIVAN
17th February 2010, 03:28 PM

apdinaaa I didnt get u :? enakku puriyala... u mean sutta recipe nu solreengalaa... :?

Oh Indian thamizha sonNa thirudiya

I meant to say this

Unmaiya solunga neenga thirudiyareceipe thaane

Stealing in SL tamil : KalavEdutha
Indian Tamil : Thirudiya

dev
17th February 2010, 03:33 PM
Selvi, do try & let me know. Here's the proper recipe for u.

Rasmalai from rasgulla:

1 tin(10 pcs) of rasagulla.

1/2 ltr or more low fat milk.

2-3 tbsp cashew paste or cashew-almonnd paste or Badamm milk powder.

Cardamom pwd(omit if using badam masala)

A big pinch of saffronn strands soaked in warm milk.

Sugar- to taste.

Pista -sliced thin

Boil the milk & add in the nuts paste, saffron, sugar & simmmer. Keep stirring until desired consistency is almost reached. U can adjust the qty of nuts paste depending on how thick or thin u want the malai to be.

squeeze out all the syrup from the rasgolla & then add to warm water & then squeeze out the water again. U HAVE TO squeeze it twice. Don't take shortcuts here.only if all the syrup is out, it'll absorb the malai well. But squeeze the balls gently else they might break.

Add the balls, cardamom pwd to the malai. mix gently & cook the balls for 2-3 mins only as the balls r already cooked. Add the pista slivers.

Let cool. Chill & serve.

Madhu Sree
17th February 2010, 03:39 PM

Oh Indian thamizha sonNa thirudiya

I meant to say this

Unmaiya solunga neenga thirudiyareceipe thaane

Stealing in SL tamil : KalavEdutha
Indian Tamil : Thirudiya

:x :hammer: saththiyamaa illa, apdi irundhaa, source potiruppen... :D

idhu naana senjadhu, got corn rava from spenzers daily. amma konjam tips kuduthaanga... :D

dev
17th February 2010, 03:53 PM

officela velai illaina en oru oruthara vambiluthukittu irukeenga... :x

PARAMASHIVAN
17th February 2010, 03:57 PM

sarry pa. I am leaving from here, summa oru damsa soNen
:(

Madhu Sree
17th February 2010, 04:00 PM

edhukku ipdi over act panreenga :rotfl2:

PARAMASHIVAN
17th February 2010, 04:32 PM

IthO Neeng 'Hmm' no sona oru varthai kaavandi vaarrEn :lol2:

Madhu Sree
17th February 2010, 04:34 PM

IthO Neeng 'Hmm' no sona oru varthai kaavandi vaarrEn :lol2:

:roll: unga baashaiye enakku puriyala :lol2:

dev
17th February 2010, 07:50 PM

adhaane!!!...;)

dev
17th February 2010, 08:01 PM
Tomato-carrot soup:

Heat a tsp butter or oil in a pressure cooker. Add in a small piece of pattai. Add in peppercorns-1/4 tsp, 1 m.onion roughly chopped & saute for a min-till transparent.

Add in 2 large tomatoes cut into 4, 1 large carrot roughly chopped. mix well.

Add in 2 cups(500 ml) water, salt. Pressure cook for 3 whistles.

Let the pressure release. Let cool & blend to make a fine puree.

Pass through a sieve(with big holes) & heat the puree again. Add in 100 ml(or less) low fat milk, sugar-to taste. Once heated through, take off flame.

Serve with addl pepper/salt & toasted bread-cut into small pieces. Add the bread pieces one by one as u drink the soup coz unlike bread croutons, toasted bread will not hold shape for long.

Note: Milk,sugar is added to make the soup less sour. So add according to ur taste.

Recipe adapted from the blog 'onehotstove'. Thanks Nupur for the wonderful recipe :)

dev
17th February 2010, 08:09 PM
Selvi,

if u r interested, u can add the soup to ur party mmenu. it'll go well with garlic bread. It's very easy to make also.

kugan98
19th February 2010, 04:22 PM
Dev, thanks for the nice soup recipe.
I was wondering how the sugar will taste in the soup.
Try panni paarkeeren.

Ungga thread nalla soopera pooguthu.
Thanks Dev.

dev
19th February 2010, 06:40 PM
K, sugar is to balance the sourness...just a lil bit will do... but it's purely optional... I like a bit of sugar in my tiffinn sammbar,rasam,pavakkai kuzhammbu, cori chutney(w/o coconut) etc... so I like lil sugar in my soup too...:D

dev
19th February 2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the compliment K...:D

Selviem
20th February 2010, 11:15 AM
dev,

i made rasamalai on thursday, it came out very nicely, i tried with one tin(15 pcs), kids liked it, first time i am preparing at home, they finished almost 1/2. i can't keep it for the party.
so i made lowki kheer.

i gave my friends to taste, they told it is very nice. thanks dev. i couldn't take photo of that. rest i took photos.

soup is very interesting, i didn't make it for the party. tomorrow night i will prepare it for dinner and give u the feedback

thanks a looooooooooooooooot dev.

ksen
20th February 2010, 11:43 AM
Dev - I tried the soup yesterday, it was very nice. The carrot itself made it sweet, so it didn't need any more sugar!