PDA

View Full Version : Skin Complexion? a 'Must' for marital life?

PARAMASHIVAN
27th May 2010, 08:55 PM
[tscii:e7c42156db]Why are Asian people of the sub continent so conscious and fussed about skin tone?
I have read in several journals, newspapers that Indian women of Dark skin complexion is highly unlikely to get married because of skin colour , grooms were apparently wanting to marry lighter skinned girls, or ask more dowry towards dark skinned girls, is this true?
If so, who is to be blamed for creating such stereo typed point. Indian women spend most of their money on skin lightening product, thanks to ‘Fair and lovely’, which never works and promotes skin cancer
In the west it is the other way round, they spend loads and loads of money on tanning products, they even have tanning ‘pills’ to make you brown !!! brown is considered to be beauty in the west and ‘ugly’ in the sub continent countries.

Why do we make such a big deal about skin complexion ? :huh: :roll:

See this link below, what are your views on this ?
http://current.com/news/92337092_sale-of-skin-whitening-cream-in-india-bypasses-sale-of-coca-cola.htm
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/Story/64664/Lifestyle/Is+this+girl+too+dark+to+be+the+perfect+bride?.htm l

where are we heading ?
[/tscii:e7c42156db]

Stiglitz
27th May 2010, 10:52 PM
Only for the extreamly shallow. :? I find darker women to be more sexy....8-) Caucasians pay to darken their skin a bit. I find it kind of weird and one of those Creepy Accepted Things in Society. Creepy because it's so wierd morally and psychologically, but it's been accepted, and doesn't even seem weird or strange.

When people use these creams, they're accepting that darker is uglier. They're putting themselves down, and making it worse for themselves and other dark ppl. :roll:

app_engine
27th May 2010, 11:04 PM
The cancer connection to non-dark skinners:
http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/skincancer/facts.htm

ajithfederer
27th May 2010, 11:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-9tcXpW1DE

A fair and lovely ad.

rajraj
28th May 2010, 01:03 AM
Paramashivan: Here is a song for you:

karupputhaan enakku pudichcha 'color'u ava(n)
kaNNu reNdum ennai mayakkum 'thousand' 'watt'u 'power'u
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ajaybaskar
28th May 2010, 07:53 AM
Complexionnaale adhu skinkuthaane?

Lambretta
28th May 2010, 09:46 AM
Actually its more to do with the fact that no one is happy with what they naturally got. :|
You got curly hair, you make it straight. You got small b***s, you get implants (a la Pam Anderson! :P)
You're even on the borderline between slim and overweight, you strive to get slim.
Same goes for skin colour, whites want tan, tanned want white.....as th character Mirabell says in William Congreve's drama, "'tis the way of the world!"

SimBLe!

Hulkster
28th May 2010, 09:58 AM
I think there are two rational explanations for this topic. One is if you look at the by-blood way where humans naturally tend to look at lighter-skinned people as blissful and more heavenly. In other words humans have a tendency to identify people different from themselves in a order of which lighter skinned people tend to be in the higher order, like that from GOD. E.g. Brahmins. This belief also spreads around in terms of facial features.

Secondly could be the rare-species thought, since in the south we are normally dark-skinned people, light-skinned people are seen to be a rare "occurrence" and hence their "value" seen as more precious compared to dark-skinned people due to us being used to seeing people of our color type frequently. Its vice-versa for light-skinned people(caucasians).
Its the same analogy as you always keep red marbles until you come across a golden marble and cherish that one more as it appears rarely and is more captivating.

Hulkster
28th May 2010, 10:05 AM
However when it comes to marital life, Skin complexion is a surface factor meaning it forms part of the physical appearance but may not bear any impact on your love life which is what your marriage depends on.

If the light-skinned person happens to have the character that you co-exist with then it would be positive for you otherwise thats the end of it. Actually all this light-skinned complexion and other physical features are related much more to lust than love/marriage cause it forms a immediate attraction within us the moment we see this.

Stiglitz
28th May 2010, 06:00 PM
Here's an Uncomfortable Observation:

I've noticed that light skin does make a person look more attractive to the human eye.

I've been attracted to many Caucasian Girls...but when I imagine them with the same features, with the skintone of an african american, it doesn't seem that attractive anymore. Not because of the color, but maybe white skin is just more suitable for many features?

For Ex: Imagine Kareena Kapoor with dark skin. Why did ppl think she was hot? The skin changed and her appearence is completly different. Some ppl look good in all skintones like Katrina Kaif or Deepika Padukone. Even if they were from Nigeria or The North Pole, they'd still be hot. :P But the Lighter Skin is a Big Boost for some also.

So maybe it's not JUST a Psychological Phenomenon. :P

Even in Popular Culture who are the known Black women who are thot to be hot? For Ex: Beyonce, Rihanna. Both who don't look have the typical skintone for their ethnicity.

podalangai
29th May 2010, 12:26 AM
I've noticed that light skin does make a person look more attractive to the human eye.

I've been attracted to many Caucasian Girls...but when I imagine them with the same features, with the skintone of an african american, it doesn't seem that attractive anymore. Not because of the color, but maybe white skin is just more suitable for many features?

That works both ways. White skin is more suitable for many features, and dark skin is more suitable for other features. I've seen plenty of attractive dark-skinned Tamil girls who'd look fabulously ugly if they'd had the skintone of someone from Iceland.

Ramona
29th May 2010, 08:47 AM
[tscii:414f4ca07c]I read somewhere on this hub quite recently that "brown is the best". Somewhere else I was told that women in India bleach their skin in order to find a groom. So sad.

It is believed that food, climate and habitation play a big role in structure and color or skin tone.

An attraction to someone or finding someone sexy goes beyond skin tone. The person might be dark, but there could be a number of underlying factors about that person that are responsible for how you feel towards that person.

Even the people who migrate to the north or countries of colder climates change in skin tone, hair texture and perhaps physical features too, so much after a few years. You will even see much difference in their children born in the colder climates. Much less those born from ancestors living in colder climates millions of years ago?

I have seen so much potential in dark skin men and women. They just need to know how to take care of their skin tone, choose their clothing, fix their hair and take care of their bodies. But this is not a problem with the children born in the west. Regardless of skin tone, all can look graceful, if they know how.

Dark skin taken care off and the rest, look so attractive with certain colours of clothing. I know for a fact whites envy such attractive skin colours.

As Lambretta said, no one is satisfied with what they have. The whites want tan skin color and the dark or brown skinned want the tinted hair of the white.

I don’t believe lighter skin is the first thing that necessarily catches the eyes in all instances. Mannerisms, character, intelligence, education, personality etc. can be the first. It all depends on what an individual prefers or finds most important whether consciously or unconsiously, at first.
[/tscii:414f4ca07c]

Punnaimaran
29th May 2010, 12:08 PM

When someone told my grandmother that she was very fair, she used to jokingly say "ஆயிரம் கொறைய மறைக்க ஒரு வெள்ள அவ்வளவு தான்"

Ramona
29th May 2010, 04:55 PM
"Skin Complexion? a 'Must' for marital life".

Imagine the foundation for martial life on one level and on the other to rule. :roll: :oops:

I met one Telegu boy years back who believed the girl must be fair; the Ram Seeta image in Indian culture.

Stiglitz
29th May 2010, 05:30 PM

That works both ways. White skin is more suitable for many features, and dark skin is more suitable for other features. I've seen plenty of attractive dark-skinned Tamil girls who'd look fabulously ugly if they'd had the skintone of someone from Iceland.

Good Point! But what's an example? LIke a famous dark skinned girl who'd look ugly if she had white skin. Not Fair Skin, but White Skin. Shreya Reddy and Rajinikanth are the ones that come to my mind right away. :P

Stiglitz
29th May 2010, 05:33 PM

When someone told my grandmother that she was very fair, she used to jokingly say "ஆயிரம் கொறைய மறைக்க ஒரு வெள்ள அவ்வளவு தான்"

U Mean "White Skin covers many Flaws"?

That's the point i was trying to make. :)

Also most Black men who are considered to be good looking would look just wierd if they had white skin.

Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Tupac, etc.

Hulkster
30th May 2010, 11:05 AM
All this skin complexion stuff forms part of a person's perception of the opposite sex's appearance.

I know of people who decide a person's outlook based on features like nose or even toes. Its all based on personal preference. My schoolmate once told me of a friend who is "addicted" to girls with loads of makeup. And makeup as in literally powdering your face.

All of us have our own preference when it comes to deciding on the opposite sex's appearance based on stuff like skin complexion. But when you think of it in the marriage context, it is only about 1% of a successful marriage unless the person has some mentality where he can only live with girls of his preferred skin complexion.

In our culture context, most of our women especially those in traditional households are brought up to be obedient and totally endearing to society values and because of this similar aspect, the grooms tend to look at the appearance to decide their ideal life partner and thus the skin complexion issue. If our women were allowed to grow up with their character given freedom, such an issue would be wiped out long ago.

Ramona
30th May 2010, 12:26 PM
I know of people who decide a person's outlook based on features like nose or even toes. :lol:

Ramona
30th May 2010, 12:28 PM
If our women were allowed to grow up with their character given freedom, such an issue would be wiped out long ago.

Thank you. Just happen to be one of those fortunate ones. :P

We are not saying that features are not important. Afterall no one wants something "unbearable", unless they can't do better or they themselves are unbearable.

Punnaimaran
31st May 2010, 02:53 PM

U Mean "White Skin covers many Flaws"?

That's the point i was trying to make. :)

Also most Black men who are considered to be good looking would look just wierd if they had white skin.

Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Tupac, etc.

Yes, I seconded your thought.

PARAMASHIVAN
1st June 2010, 03:22 PM
Only for the extreamly shallow. :? I find darker women to be more sexy....8-) Caucasians pay to darken their skin a bit. I find it kind of weird and one of those Creepy Accepted Things in Society. Creepy because it's so wierd morally and psychologically, but it's been accepted, and doesn't even seem weird or strange.

When people use these creams, they're accepting that darker is uglier. They're putting themselves down, and making it worse for themselves and other dark ppl. :roll:

whose to blame for this stero type view? I think it is the Media :banghead:

PARAMASHIVAN
1st June 2010, 03:26 PM
If the light-skinned person happens to have the character that you co-exist with then it would be positive for you otherwise thats the end of it. Actually all this light-skinned complexion and other physical features are related much more to lust than love/marriage cause it forms a immediate attraction within us the moment we see this.

:exactly: but if you see an Ad for bride in many Indian Newspapers or other medium, it mainys says, 'Fair bride wanted or Fair skinned bride is preferred'

:|