PDA

View Full Version : Is the nation in a coma?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
8th June 2010, 09:45 AM
[tscii:cc104b402a]Is the nation in a coma?

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2010/05/31/stories/2010053150300900.htm

Europeans believe that Indian leaders are too blinded by new wealth and deceit to comprehend that the day will come when the have-nots will hit the streets.

Mohan Murti

A few days ago I was in a panel discussion on mergers and acquisitions in Frankfurt, Germany, organised by Euroforum and The Handelsblatt, one of the most prestigious newspapers in German-speaking Europe.

The other panellists were senior officials of two of the largest carmakers and two top insurance companies — all German multinationals operating in India.

The panel discussion was moderated by a professor from the esteemed European Business School. The hall had an audience that exceeded a hundred well-known European CEOs. I was the only Indian.

After the panel discussion, the floor was open for questions. That was when my “moment of truth” turned into an hour of shame, embarrassment — when the participants fired questions and made remarks on their experiences with the evil of corruption in India.

The awkwardness and humiliation I went through reminded of The Moment of Truth, the popular Anglo-American game. The more questions I answered truthfully, the more the questions get tougher. Tougher here means more embarrassing.

European disquiet

Questions ranged from “Is your nation in a coma?”, the corruption in judiciary, the possible impeachment of a judge, the 2G scam and to the money parked illegally in tax havens.

It is a fact that the problem of corruption in India has assumed enormous and embarrassing proportions in recent years, although it has been with us for decades. The questions and the debate that followed in the panel discussion was indicative of the European disquiet. At the end of the Q&A session, I surmised Europeans perceive India to be at one of those junctures where tripping over the precipice cannot be ruled out.

Let me substantiate this further with what the European media has to say in recent days.

In a popular prime-time television discussion in Germany, the panellist, a member of the German Parliament quoting a blog said: “If all the scams of the last five years are added up, they are likely to rival and exceed the British colonial loot of India of about a trillion dollars.”

Banana Republic

One German business daily which wrote an editorial on India said: “India is becoming a Banana Republic instead of being an economic superpower. To get the cut motion designated out, assurances are made to political allays. Special treatment is promised at the expense of the people. So, Ms Mayawati who is Chief Minister of the most densely inhabited state, is calmed when an intelligence agency probe is scrapped. The multi-million dollars fodder scam by another former chief minister wielding enormous power is put in cold storage. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh chairs over this kind of unparalleled loot.”

An article in a French newspaper titled “Playing the Game, Indian Style” wrote: “Investigations into the shadowy financial deals of the Indian cricket league have revealed a web of transactions across tax havens like Switzerland, the Virgin Islands, Mauritius and Cyprus.” In the same article, the name of one Hassan Ali of Pune is mentioned as operating with his wife a one-billion-dollar illegal Swiss account with “sanction of the Indian regime”.

A third story narrated in the damaging article is that of the former chief minister of Jharkhand, Madhu Koda, who was reported to have funds in various tax havens that were partly used to buy mines in Liberia. “Unfortunately, the Indian public do not know the status of that enquiry,” the article concluded.

“In the nastiest business scam in Indian records (Satyam) the government adroitly covered up the political aspects of the swindle — predominantly involving real estate,” wrote an Austrian newspaper. “If the Indian Prime Minister knows nothing about these scandals, he is ignorant of ground realities and does not deserve to be Prime Minister. If he does, is he a collaborator in crime?”

The Telegraph of the UK reported the 2G scam saying: “Naturally, India's elephantine legal system will ensure culpability, is delayed.”

Blinded by wealth

This seems true. In the European mind, caricature of a typical Indian encompasses qualities of falsification, telling lies, being fraudulent, dishonest, corrupt, arrogant, boastful, speaking loudly and bothering others in public places or, while travelling, swindling when the slightest of opportunity arises and spreading rumours about others. The list is truly incessant.

My father, who is 81 years old, is utterly frustrated, shocked and disgruntled with whatever is happening and said in a recent discussion that our country's motto should truly be Asatyameva Jayete.

Europeans believe that Indian leaders in politics and business are so blissfully blinded by the new, sometimes ill-gotten, wealth and deceit that they are living in defiance, insolence and denial to comprehend that the day will come, sooner than later, when the have-nots would hit the streets.

In a way, it seems to have already started with the monstrous and grotesque acts of the Maoists. And, when that rot occurs, not one political turncoat will escape being lynched.

The drumbeats for these rebellions are going to get louder and louder as our leaders refuse to listen to the voices of the people. Eventually, it will lead to a revolution that will spill to streets across the whole of India, I fear.

Perhaps we are the architects of our own misfortune. It is our sab chalta hai (everything goes) attitude that has allowed people to mislead us with impunity. No wonder Aesop said. “We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office.”

(The author is former Europe Director, CII, and lives in Cologne, Germany. blfeedback@thehindu.co.in.) [/tscii:cc104b402a]

ajithfederer
8th June 2010, 10:24 AM
Quite a scathing article.

rajraj
8th June 2010, 10:30 AM
Quite a scathing article.

Truth hurts! :(

pavalamani pragasam
8th June 2010, 04:50 PM
Some time back my daughter at present living in the US asked me in a scared and thoroughly concerned voice after viewing a recent Tamil movie,'what will happen if the rift between the have's and have-not's in India keeps on increasing at this alarming speed'. I had to point out the blood shed in the guillotine flooding France after the queen's arrogant answer 'if the people don't have bread let them eat cakes'! History repeats itself. The ominous signals fill us with dread! But can we stop it?

app_engine
8th June 2010, 07:17 PM
I got information from a reasonably reliable source in TN that recently lakhs of workers (construction and otherwise) have migrated from the uttar states to TN.

People have been harping in both centre and TN that Thamizh people should learn Hindi to be able to get jobs all-over India. Now I wonder why millions should migrate from the Hindi lands to TN...

The simple explanation should be the sheer difficulty of making a living there - apart from economic trouble (partly fuelled by over-population), civil unrest and caste related issues must be forcing people move out from their ancestral places to where 'madhrAsees' live.

Some pointer as to what's happening up north!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
8th June 2010, 07:56 PM
India is a country where you CANNOT live a clean honest life, you are forced to take part of bribe and corruption, eithier giving or getting

The article mentions 2G scam as height of all scams. Its shameful that a 80+ year old is projecting a pure holy man image and doing all nasty works to spoil the country. He is one of the dangerous "Bad Example" which other politicians will 'secretly' die to follow

pavalamani pragasam
8th June 2010, 07:58 PM
:oops: :cry:

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
8th June 2010, 08:07 PM
Poeple had forgot about fighting against the dreadul things happening around us, coorruption is one such important thing. Most of the burning issues sidelines to politician's greed

1. Maoist's main issue is about the govt's effort to sell precious resources of the conutry to foreign companies

2. Sand Mafia wich spoils the environment badly is also done for money

3. All the free schemes are leading to corruption, Free Color TV, Rs.1 Rice.

4. Sad thing is, one part of ppl want to join the corruption bandwagon, by smuggling the govt rice from ration shops, another part simply doesn't care at all.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
8th June 2010, 08:08 PM
Some pointer as to what's happening up north! The situation is much worse there :cry:

app_engine
8th June 2010, 08:39 PM
Another recent observation about TN goes thus:

-Labor cost hasn't gone up significantly, despite the general increase in cost of living (a detailed eye-scan costs only Rs 50 in Trichy and so are similar services ; also costs of consumer durables have either remained same or dropped from the levels of a few years back -like washing machines / TVs/ microwaves etc, possibly due to Chinese imports; which again underlines the fact that other than the software, BPO and related sectors, there couldn't have been significant wage increases elsewhere)

-Land / real estate costs have shot up exorbitantly (the "have's" push up the prices, people with political party affiliations are having a field-day in real estate biz)

-Basic food prices are phenomenally high in the open market (rice, pulses, veggies), which means "have not's" are forced to live either on ration shops or suffer malnutrition

It's probably one of the most disastrous situations, where cost of labor does not go up proportionate to the prices of basic essentials.

(What I see here in U.S. is the opposite, from 1995 to 2010 the price of a gallon of milk is virtually unchanged, whatever happens to $ / economy etc)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
8th June 2010, 11:45 PM
ஓட்டுப்பொறுக்கிகள் மற்றும் ஊழல் ஓநாய்கள் மீது மக்களுக்கு கோபம் வரவில்லையே என்று வருத்தத்துடன் பார்த்தல், அதே மக்கள் தான் தேர்தலுக்கு காசு வாங்குவதை வரவேற்கிறார்கள். நாடு எங்கேபோகிறது?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
8th June 2010, 11:48 PM
It's probably one of the most disastrous situations, where cost of labor does not go up proportionate to the prices of basic essentials.

Europeans believe that Indian leaders are too blinded by new wealth and deceit to comprehend that the day will come when the have-nots will hit the streets.

ஒரு மக்கள் புரட்சி வந்தால் தான் நாடு உருப்படும் போல

Ramona
9th June 2010, 12:25 AM
Its shameful that a 80+ year old is projecting a pure holy man image and doing all nasty works to spoil the country. He is one of the dangerous "Bad Example"

:oops:

joe
10th June 2010, 08:55 PM
Its shameful that a 80+ year old is projecting a pure holy man image and doing all nasty works to spoil the country. He is one of the dangerous "Bad Example"

கவலைப் படாதீங்க . இந்த 80+ தாத்தா சம்பந்தப்பட்ட எதாவது ஒன்று கண்ணில் பட்டாலே நம்ம சகல இப்படித் தான் ரொம்ப கொதிச்சுடுவாரு . ஒலகம் கெட்டுப்போகவே இந்த தாத்தா தான் காரணம்-ன்னு ஓங்கி கொரல் கொடுப்பாரு:)

Ramona
10th June 2010, 10:36 PM
Joe,

I don't read the language in your post of today. I am curious to know what you said in your reply. Please translate in English if you can.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
10th June 2010, 11:09 PM

கவலைப் படாதீங்க . இந்த 80+ தாத்தா சம்பந்தப்பட்ட எதாவது ஒன்று கண்ணில் பட்டாலே நம்ம சகல இப்படித் தான் ரொம்ப கொதிச்சுடுவாரு . ஒலகம் கெட்டுப்போகவே இந்த தாத்தா தான் காரணம்-ன்னு ஓங்கி கொரல் கொடுப்பாரு:)

ulagathula nadakkura ellaa nallathukkum intha thaathaa thaan kaaranam nu solra kaakaa koottam irukkura varaikkum naan appadi thaan solluven.

but inspite, i added "one of the". i didnt say he ONLY is. Read my post again

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
10th June 2010, 11:19 PM
joe, neenga en eppavum an kittaye varreenga, why not considering whats above me, what others say?? In fact i tried to cover whatever damaging and embarrassing happened in india ( with my little knowledge) not just TN events. i never cornered or spoke ONLY about Mu.Ka.

Sanjeevi
10th June 2010, 11:21 PM

athellam irukkattum joe, what about the article

joe
11th June 2010, 09:26 AM

athellam irukkattum joe, what about the article

முற்றிலும் ஏற்பதற்கில்லை ,முற்றிலும் நிராகரிப்பதற்குமில்லை ..உண்மை இரண்டுக்கும் இடையே ஒளிந்திருக்கிறது.

பொதுவாக இந்தியர்கள் தாங்கள் பெரிய பாரம்பரியம் உள்ளவர்கள் ,ஆதீ கால நாகரீக தொட்டிலில் பிறந்தவர்கள் ,குடும்ப பாராம்பரியம் உள்ளவர்கள் , தர்மம நீதி நியாயம் எல்லாம் உலகுக்கே கற்றுக்கொடுத்தவர்கள் ,கலாச்சார புனிதர்கள் என்று தங்களைத் தாங்களே பீத்திக்கொள்வார்கள் ..ஆனால் இவையெல்லாம் வெறும் எழுத்திலும் ஏட்டிலும் தான் ..நடைமுறை வாழ்விலும் ,சமூக அமைப்பிலும் இவை பிரதிபலிக்கக் காணோம் . இவர்கள் நாகரீகத்தில் கொடிகட்டிப்பறந்ததாக சொல்லப்படும் காலத்தில் காட்டுமிராண்டிகளாக இருந்தவர்கள் எல்லாம் இப்போது இவர்களை தாண்டி எங்கோ சென்றுவிட்டார்கள் ..இந்தியர்கள் மதம் ,இனம் ,ஜாதி ,மொழி என கட்டுண்டு ஒரு விஞ்ஞான பூர்வமான பார்வை குறைந்த சமூகமாகவே இன்னும் இருக்கிறார்கள் ..தனி வாழ்விலும் ,பொது வாழ்விலும் தனிமனித சுதந்திரத்துக்கு இங்கே மதிப்பு இல்லை ..பொதுவெளியில் கடைபிடிக்க வேண்டிய குறைந்த பட்ச நாகரீகத்தைக் கூட தெளிந்தறியாத சமூகமாகவே இன்னும் இருக்கிறார்கள் ..தான் ,தன் குடும்பம் என்பது தாண்டி பெரும்பாலோர் சிந்திப்பதே இல்லை ..தலைவர்கள் மோசமானவர்களாக இருக்கிறார்கள் என்றால் அவர்கள் மட்டும் வானத்திலிருந்தா குதிக்க முடியும் ..மக்களில் இருந்து வந்தவர்கள் தானே ? மக்களின் தகுதியைப் பொறுத்தே தலைவர்களின் தகுதியும் அமையும் ..மக்களின் அடிப்படை சிந்தனைகள் மாறாதவரை இப்படிப்பட்ட தலைவர்களைத் தான் அவர்களால் உருவாக்க முடியும்.

rajraj
11th June 2010, 09:55 AM
joe,
If you want to make your point about apathy in India compare
Bhopal gas leak and the BP Oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, and how the two governments and the two businesses handled/handle the disasters! The difference will be very obvious! :)

A hubber keeps harping that India can provide moral leadership to the world. I thought it was a joke and had a good laugh! :lol:

podalangai
12th June 2010, 05:40 PM
A hubber keeps harping that India can provide moral leadership to the world. I thought it was a joke and had a good laugh! :lol:
Rajraj,

On a slight tangent, but related to the point under discussion. We've spoken about UG Krishnamurti on and off in the Hub. Here's an interview with him (by a professor of philosophy) which you'll probably enjoy. It's hard-hitting, but each of his points is as relevant today as it was when he first made them 30 years ago. A few excerpts to whet your appetite:

The crisis through which the world is passing has to throw up something in order for the world to save itself. I think it has to come, and it will come from the West -- I don't know from where, but India has no chance.

It's in chaotic condition -- India -- nobody knows where it is going. So, if there is anything to your spiritual heritage (and there is a lot; I'm not for a moment denying that; India has thrown up so many sages, saints and saviors of mankind), if that heritage cannot help this country to put its own house in order, how do you think this country can help the world? How can this great heritage, of which all Indians are so proud, help this country first? Why is it not able to help this country? -- that is my question.

It cannot solve them, because of the falseness, because it is false, because it doesn't operate in the lives of the people -- that is why it cannot help to solve the economic problems of this country. We have talked for centuries about the oneness of life, the unity of life. How can you justify the existence of these slums? How can you justify the existence of ten crores of Harijans in this country? Please, I don't have any answers; I am just pointing out the absurdity of our claims that our heritage is something extraordinary.

That's like saying "My grandfather was a very rich man, a multimillionaire" when I don't know where my next meal will come from. What is the good of telling myself all the time that my grandfather was a multimillionaire? Likewise, India produced great saints, spiritual giants, and we don't have even one in our midst, you see -- so what is the good of repeating all the time that our heritage is so tremendous and so great, or telling ourselves, or talking about or praising the greatness of our heritage? What good is that? It must help this country. So why don't you question that? There may be something wrong with the whole business.

The whole thing is at http://www.well.com/user/jct/mystiq3.htm

rajraj
13th June 2010, 08:46 AM
podalangai,
Thanks for the link. Krishnamurthi is hundred percent correct.
I remember participating in an essay competition in 1956. I concluded the essay with the sentence- " moo vallarasil oru nallarasaaga thikazha vaLLuvan vazhiyai vaguppom". Of course I was teenage dreamer then believing in everything Bharathiyar sang about because I grew up singing Bharathiyar songs in elementary school. When I wrote that essay Kamaraj was the chief minister of Madras state( now Tamilnadu) and Jawaharlal Nehru was the prime minister. Corruption was unknown. If there was any it was the peons and clerks asking for money for tiffin. If I remember correctly, Winston Churchill who was against granting India independence said that independent India would be ruled by carpetbaggers and........
It did not take very long for Indians to prove him right! Sad! But true! :(
My experience in my recent visit to India confirms what Krishnamurthi said. I am still debating whether to post what I observed! :) I have a lot of anecdotes that relate to what Krishnamurthi said.

( If you find the quote by Churchill, please post)

podalangai
13th June 2010, 08:17 PM
There're two versions by the quote. There's one that's attributed to him, but which he didn't really say. I think this is the one you're thinking of. It reads: "Power will go into the hands of rascals, rogues and freebooters. Not a bottle of water will escape taxation. Only the air will be free, and the blood of these hungry millions will be on the head of Mr. Atlee. These are men of straw of whom no trace will be found after a few years. They will fight among themselves and India will be lost in political squabbles."

There's no trace of Churchill having said all of these - the quote is mostly a composite of newspaper editorials. The 'men of straw' reference is, however, based on something Churchill actually said. Here is what he said in a debate on 6 March 1947:

Let the House remember this. The Indian political parties and political classes do not represent the Indian masses. It is a delusion to believe that they do. I wish they did. They are not as representative of them as the movements in Britain represent the surges and impulses of the British nation... In handing over the Government of India to these so-called political classes we are handing over to men of straw, of whom, in a few years, no trace will remain.

(Source and context: http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1947/mar/06/india-government-policy)
I'd say this is a far more perceptive observation than the one more commonly - but erroneously - attributed to him.

rajraj
13th June 2010, 10:30 PM
Thaniks podalangai ! :)

"perceptive observation" ?

I think he was prophetic! :(

app_engine
19th June 2010, 02:07 AM
http://news.in.msn.com/national/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4032734

The difficulties of a possibly-efficient IAS officer as he faces the ire of politicians.

Main reason why many great talents avoid gov services :-(

The tragedy here is initially Umashankar was kicked out of key assignments by JJ (he supposedly uncovered the sudukAdu oozhal of selvaganapathy) and was later patronised by MK. Unfortunately for him, his "e" connections landed him as the gov cable TV company's head.

Now, his urasal with sun group has finally landed him in courts.