PDA

View Full Version : Which non-indian film u saw recently has made u post here???

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

ajithfederer
14th January 2011, 12:49 PM
Charlies Angels - Full Throttle - Crazy stunts, dumb boy friends(for a change eh?) sleazy comedy and a wafer thin story line. They could have made this into a decent franchise if they worked on the above. But hey who cares. I wish they make a third film with some new chicks :lol:.

P.s: I like the song "A girl like you" by Edward Collins just before the climax.

Double Jeopardy: A man fakes his murder and frames his own wife for it. The Wife learns his deceit and comes out in parole and tries to avenge him. Ashley Judd is good. Not bad.

The Bridges of Madison County: Naan solrardhu irukkatum, Eastwood fans what do you think about this film?. I was feeling what the heck is Clint doing in a chicks movie.

Roshan
14th January 2011, 05:24 PM
Unthinkable.

Dont know what was the whole intention of the director, behind making this movie.. looked ridiculous.

ajithfederer
14th January 2011, 09:08 PM
The Cassandra Crossing (1976)

A British disaster film on a man carrying deadly plague in his body infects a train of 1000 passengers on a European Train. Very Good considering the time it was made.

VENKIRAJA
14th January 2011, 09:35 PM
எனக்கு ரெண்டு படமுமே பிடிக்கலை. (Schindler's List & Pianist) ரெண்டுத்தையும் பாக்க சொல்லவே தூங்கிட்டேன்.

jinju
15th January 2011, 10:36 AM
Charlies Angels - Full Throttle - Crazy stunts, dumb boy friends(for a change eh?) sleazy comedy and a wafer thin story line. They could have made this into a decent franchise if they worked on the above. But hey who cares. I wish they make a third film with some new chicks :lol:.

etthana new chicks vandhaalum seri, drew barrymore kandippa irukkanum :lol:.

directhit
15th January 2011, 04:51 PM
Black Swan :clap: :clap:
How to Train your Dragon :cool: :clap:

AravindMano
16th January 2011, 05:22 AM
Of Gods And Men (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1588337/). Good. Simple, intimate and a couple of unforgettable images.

thamburaj
16th January 2011, 08:28 AM
A Prophet... Powerful images especially the ending sequences...good acting all around... :thumbsup:

Mother..great acting by Hye-Ja Kim..:thumbsup:...but slightly disappointed with the ending....

Querida
16th January 2011, 09:00 AM
The Bridges of Madison County: Naan solrardhu irukkatum, Eastwood fans what do you think about this film?. I was feeling what the heck is Clint doing in a chicks movie.

Pretty Woman and this, two of the most overrated mush without substance flicks...or so I would like to say but I fell asleep before making it through either of them. :roll:

A Prophet... Powerful images especially the ending sequences...good acting all around... :thumbsup:

wanted to watch this film! Thanks for reminder :)

Querida
17th January 2011, 06:15 AM
"How to Train Your Dragon" :2thumbsup:

Gobber: Now, you're thinking about this all wrong! It's not so much what you look like, it's what's inside that he can't stand.

Hiccup: Thank you for summing that up!

directhit
17th January 2011, 07:03 AM
Toy Story 1 & 2 :bow: - cant believe i didnt watch it for so long having had it in my HDD for close to a year :oops:

Don't miss watching Toy Story 3!!! Surprisingly good!! :D yeah watched that as well a couple of weeks back - probably my most fav Pixar movie (every pixar movie i watch seem to update this status :lol:)

chevy
17th January 2011, 10:01 AM
Toy Story 1 & 2 :bow: - cant believe i didnt watch it for so long having had it in my HDD for close to a year :oops:

Don't miss watching Toy Story 3!!! Surprisingly good!! :D yeah watched that as well a couple of weeks back - probably my most fav Pixar movie (every pixar movie i watch seem to update this status :lol:) TS 3 was fun!! but as a 3d movie , i didn really see any difference with or without those polarized glasses. :S

ajaybaskar
17th January 2011, 07:05 PM
Unthinkable.

Dont know what was the whole intention of the director, behind making this movie.. looked ridiculous.

Y?

U didnt like the movie, huh?

VENKIRAJA
17th January 2011, 09:29 PM
The Social Network.
Bluray. Movie of the year, easily. (Except Inception all that I watched this year was Genus Species crap)

chevy
18th January 2011, 12:42 AM
The Social Network.
Bluray. Movie of the year, easily. (Except Inception all that I watched this year was Genus Species crap) watched a shorter version of the movie during a flight.....it was okay...i didn't enjoy it that much..it showed as if mark z was just overly serious and i wasn't too drawn to the character they portrayed off him

Querida
18th January 2011, 05:46 AM
The Social Network.
Bluray. Movie of the year, easily. (Except Inception all that I watched this year was Genus Species crap) watched a shorter version of the movie during a flight.....it was okay...i didn't enjoy it that much..it showed as if mark z was just overly serious and i wasn't too drawn to the character they portrayed off him

the best ever film I watched on flight was "Eternal Sunshine On A Spotless Mind" :thumbsup: was totally riveted.

ajithfederer
18th January 2011, 12:30 PM
The Invention of Lying (2009)

The film features a high concept narrative set in an alternate reality in which there is no such thing as lying and everything said is the absolute truth. In this world people continually make very blunt, often cruel statements, and remarks that people in the real world would normally keep to themselves. The concepts of fiction, imagination and speculation do not exist resulting in the movie industry being limited to lecture-style historical readings, television commercials being straightforward and an absence of religion.

A funny but an interesting fantasy premise. The protagonist Ricky Gervais(Writer/Director) somehow stumbles on an accidental lie and he discovers the art of lying. A feel Good film. Darling Jennifer Garner being in the film is an additional reason to watch. She looked very pretty and acted pretty decent.

ajaybaskar
18th January 2011, 03:02 PM
The Town

Worth a watch!!!

Nerd
18th January 2011, 07:36 PM
Tangled in 3D - Strictly OK. The most important relationship in the film that of Rapunzel and her mother Gothel was superficial. But Rapupnzel - Flynn, Rapunzel - Pascal, Flynn - Maximus are all beautifully handled. There are way too many songs and unnecessary scenes. In fact I slept through that restaurant scene after Rapunzel and Flynn flee from Gothel's castle. One time watch.

ajithfederer
19th January 2011, 02:19 PM
Unthinkable (2010) :clap: .

Great acting by Samuel L. Jackson, Carrie Anne Moss and the terrorist guy.

VENKIRAJA
19th January 2011, 04:53 PM
The Social Network.

the best ever film I watched on flight was "Eternal Sunshine On A Spotless Mind" :thumbsup: was totally riveted.

It seems to me as a definitive movie of our generation, which I perceive is a reflection of the very society itself in the timeline, etc. A rarity, in that aspect very much like Fight Club which I consider its predecessor (Ah! Fincher's, as well). To be precise, it was all what 500 DoS tried to be. (Or say what 500 DoS is to spoilt teens a realistic portrayal of life itself)

Sarna
19th January 2011, 06:54 PM
Its a boy girl thing :lol: :2thumbsup:

ajaybaskar
19th January 2011, 07:03 PM
Unthinkable (2010) :clap: .

Great acting by Samuel L. Jackson, Carrie Anne Moss and the terrorist guy.

Unthinkable.

:lol2:

ajithfederer
19th January 2011, 10:53 PM
:lol:

chevy
20th January 2011, 10:17 AM
The Invention of Lying (2009)

The film features a high concept narrative set in an alternate reality in which there is no such thing as lying and everything said is the absolute truth. In this world people continually make very blunt, often cruel statements, and remarks that people in the real world would normally keep to themselves. The concepts of fiction, imagination and speculation do not exist resulting in the movie industry being limited to lecture-style historical readings, television commercials being straightforward and an absence of religion.

A funny but an interesting fantasy premise. The protagonist Ricky Gervais(Writer/Director) somehow stumbles on an accidental lie and he discovers the art of lying. A feel Good film. Darling Jennifer Garner being in the film is an additional reason to watch. She looked very pretty and acted pretty decent.

Catchy title.....want to watch it.

Sunil_M88
20th January 2011, 04:43 PM
Kidulthood and its sequel Adulthood.

Realistic films depicting crime awareness in the council estates of London.

ajithfederer
21st January 2011, 11:16 AM
Facebook - Good.

VENKIRAJA
21st January 2011, 02:23 PM
In the mood for love.
pudikala.

AravindMano
22nd January 2011, 07:35 AM
Buried. Good effort given the experimental premise. Ryan Renolds nallA nadichirundhAr.

ajithfederer
23rd January 2011, 12:32 AM
Watchmen - 8-) (Not for everybody)

AravindMano
23rd January 2011, 12:40 PM
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives. As expected, absurd and (so) baffling. Mildly oscillated between ஙே? and :huh: for two good hours. Should read, revisit, read, revisit, read, revisit..

But the whole segment with the Princess - pure cinema!

chevy
23rd January 2011, 01:08 PM
Facebook - Good. u mean social network

VENKIRAJA
23rd January 2011, 08:09 PM
[tscii:2eabd1a82b]The Shawshank Redemption
தமிழில்!
Dubbing was too good (I mean genuinely good). Especially Morgan Freeman's part. M.S.Baskar did great work, except for one scene. Andy introduces himself to Red and asks his name when, Morgan Freeman replies "ரெட். அது!”[/tscii:2eabd1a82b]

Querida
24th January 2011, 04:11 AM
Facebook - Good. u mean social network

Or is it "Catfish"? :confused2:

ajithfederer
24th January 2011, 05:39 AM
Yeah, Social n/w .

V_S
24th January 2011, 09:25 AM
When I heard that Orson Wells's 'Citizen Kane' (the best film ever made) lost the best picture academy award to John Ford's 'How Green was my Valley', rather than blaming the Academy, I developed a dislike to John Ford, without even watching How Green was my Valley. When I watched that film, I felt bad about my thinking and ignorance. Legendry film. Still I liked Citizen Kane better, but HGWMW is no way inferior. Need to write about this film later. But I wanted to watch few more of John Ford's as I liked his way of narration.

So I ended up watching 'The Grapes of Wrath' in 2006, and bowled over by the movie, but somehow I did not get another chance to watch the movie. Luckily I got the DVD yesterday and glued onto it last night. A memorable experience. Excellently written. The story also resembles some of our old indian history/culture too.
I was totally into Ma Joad's family one among them. Much to learn from this movie; On very acute circumstances, how the family is united and how to take it positively and move on. 'Jane Darewell' as Ma Joad with an outstanding performance (won her best supporting actress academy). That too again she won against another outstanding performance by Judith Anderson of Rebecca (my favorite). But Jane Darewell is too far ahead. I certainly can relate her to my grandmother, when I was a kid.

Henry Fonda as Tom Joad is another excellent actor. Fonda's few emotional moments with her mother, could not hide my tears. The dialogues of this movie are beautiful and powerful. Good to see everyone calling 'Ma' and 'Pa' rather than frustrating Mom and Dad. America was good at that time:-)

Ma: Tommy, ain't ya gonna tell me goodbye?
Tom: I didn't know, Ma. I didn't know if I ought to...Come outside. There was some cops here tonight. They was takin' down license numbers. I guess somebody knows somethin'.
Ma: I guess it had to come, sooner or later.
Tom: I'd like to stay, Ma. I'd like to be with ya and see your face when Pa gets settled in some nice place. I'd sure like to see ya then. But I won't never get that chance, I guess, now.
Ma: I would hide ya, Tommy.
Tom: I know you would, Ma, but I ain't gonna let ya. Ya hide somebody that's killed a guy and you're in trouble too.
Ma: All right, Tommy, but what do ya figur you're gonna do?
Tom: You know what I've been thinkin' about? About Casy, about what he said, about what he done, about how he died. I remember all of it.
Ma: He was a good man.
Tom: I've been thinkin' about us too. About our people livin' like pigs and good rich land layin' fallow. Well, maybe one guy with a million acres and a hundred thousand farmers starvin', and I've been wonderin' if all our folks got together and yelled...
Ma: Oh, Tommy. They'd drag you out and cut ya down just like they done to Casy.
Tom: They're gonna drive me anyways. Sooner or later, they'd get me for one thing if not for another. Till then...
Ma: Tommy, you're not aimin' to kill nobody?
Tom: No, Ma, not that. It's just, well, as long as I'm an outlaw anyways, maybe I can do somethin'. Maybe I can just find out somethin', just scrounge around and maybe find out what it is that's wrong and see if ain't somethin' can be done about it. I ain't thought it all out clear in my mind, I can't. I don't know enough.
Ma: How am I gonna know about ya, Tommy? Why, they could kill ya and I'd never know. They could hurt ya. How am I gonna know?

Tom's reply, best in the film and very emotional.
I'll be all around in the dark. I'll be every-where - wherever you can look. Wherever there's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there.
Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there.
I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad -
I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry an' they know supper's ready. An' when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise, and livin' in the houses they build - I'll be there, too.

The last conversation between Ma Joad and Pa. It's beautiful that Pa Joad calls her wife as 'Ma' and Ma calls him 'Pa'. Reminds me of our own.
This dialogue best ever about woman.

Pa: You're the one that keeps us goin', Ma. I ain't no good no more, and I know it. Seems like I spend all my time these days thinkin' how it used to be. Thinkin' of home. I ain't never gonna see it no more.
Ma: Well, Pa. A woman can change better'n a man. A man lives, sorta, well, in jerks. Baby's born and somebody dies, and that's a jerk. He gets a farm or loses it, and that's a jerk. With a woman, it's all in one flow like a stream. Little eddies and waterfalls, but the river it goes right on. A woman looks at it that way.
Pa: Well, maybe, but we sure taken a beatin'.
Ma: I know. That's what makes us tough. Rich fellas come up an' they die an' their kids ain't no good, an' they die out. But we keep a-comin'. We're the people that live. They can't wipe us out. They can't lick us. And we'll go on forever, Pa... 'cause... we're the people.

Still the film and the whole cast is hovering in me.

John Ford has been inspiration even for Orson Wells,Wyler and other legends as well. Winner of most academy awards as director. He will stay with me longer. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

P_R
24th January 2011, 05:06 PM
Babel
Excellent

Could have been a good half an hour shorter.

ajithfederer
25th January 2011, 01:23 AM
8-) :smokesmirk:

Babel
Excellent

ajithfederer
25th January 2011, 01:26 AM
Last watched - The Departed :bow: :bow: :bow:

N - Bomb drop alert - This is the most entertaining of all Scorsese's movies for me. Thanks to the Hongkong film and Scorsese's adaptation of Boston settings. Well acted by Dicaprio. Engaging for almost every minute. Complete cinematainment. Ensemble cast of a life time :ngommala gethu:

P.S: Mark Wahlberg deserves special mention for his brief role as Staff Sgt. Dignam

groucho070
25th January 2011, 08:19 AM
:D Ungga opinion Stan, vachukonggo. In mine, it's one of his dullest. Sleepwalking Nicholson, De Caprio whom I still can't accept as a good actor, and total waste of Scorcese's talent. Can't hold candle to the original.

And you are right about Wahlberg. Not special mention, I thought he was fantastic.

kid-glove
25th January 2011, 10:16 AM
Wahlberg-Baldwin interactions :thumbsup:

I think it more than holds candle to the original. :)

groucho070
25th January 2011, 11:18 AM
Have you seen the sequels? Onnu parten not sure which one, during a bus ride with fellow Chinese journalists guffawing and squirming in their seats.

P_R
25th January 2011, 12:53 PM
8-) :smokesmirk:

Babel
Excellent

Beautiful movie.
kErattars ovvONNum sedhukkiyirukaapla.

When confronted by his father, the older boy bursting out that his brother shot the bus also adds in that he sees his sister bathing.

It is one baffling moment. That it is two 'crimes' floating on the top of his head that he weighs to be of comparable importance to 'report' is just fantastic. It is always simmering and the child has nearly no absorption of the relative gravity of one situation and absurdity of coupling the two together.

And this is a reporting a violation of an inherited social more. i.e. thus making the blaming of his brother more appealing to the father. It is strongly suggested that he is moved more by jealousy than by subscription to the more. Brilliant :clap:

Except the parts of the sappAn girl story, all stories felt very 'real' and was very well fleshed out. The reluctance of the American kids to go play with others, their easy mingling and joy, the horror of the American kid when Bernal beheads the chicken..all shown in a nonfussy 'this is a different world, that's all' manner.

In the later parts it dragged it too long, losing the tension that kept each of the story till then. Highly excusable.

ajithfederer
26th January 2011, 01:15 AM
Of course rakesh bro :).

:D Ungga opinion Stan, vachukonggo. In mine, it's one of his dullest. Sleepwalking Nicholson, De Caprio whom I still can't accept as a good actor, and total waste of Scorcese's talent. Can't hold candle to the original.

And you are right about Wahlberg. Not special mention, I thought he was fantastic.

kid-glove
26th January 2011, 11:51 PM
Have you seen the sequels? Onnu parten not sure which one, during a bus ride with fellow Chinese journalists guffawing and squirming in their seats.

Yes. Definitely worth watching.

littlemaster1982
27th January 2011, 10:00 AM
127 Hours :clap: :clap:

Boyle :2thumbsup: James Franco :notworthy:

Thalaivar :cool:

ajaybaskar
30th January 2011, 10:33 AM
Butterfly on a wheel

Finally managed to watch a movie without checking out wikipedia. Good one..

Thanx to Jinju for the reco.

jinju
30th January 2011, 10:49 AM
Butterfly on a wheel

Finally managed to watch a movie without checking out wikipedia. Good one..

Thanx to Jinju for the reco.

:thumsup:

groucho070
31st January 2011, 06:54 AM
Three Ages (1923).

Not Buster Keaton's best, but some signs of genius shows. Apparently his first directed feature. And there was a stop motion dinosaur in it. Check panni parten, first beast creature on stop motion and live mix was Lost World (1925) and King Kong would come 8 years later. So here it must be the first :shock:

Next on the 2-in-1 DVD: Sherlock Jr, been waiting for ages to watch it.

Edit, after five minutes: Crap, I was wrong. They did it earlier (http://silentmoviemonsters.tripod.com/TheLostWorld/LWEARLYDINO.html)

Querida
31st January 2011, 09:16 AM
"Tangled"

Too many songs, none of which had the effect of say Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast.

Interestingly a villainous character with gray shades.

Maximus was a welcome diversion :lol:

ajaybaskar
31st January 2011, 12:17 PM
Devil

Hereafter, i am not going to read what the critics say. This movie is certainly watchable but for the climax.

ajithfederer
31st January 2011, 01:01 PM
Watching A Bronx Tale

Bobby De Niro direction :clap:

The film is similar to Goodfellas in a way that A kid in a rough Italian Bronx neighbourhood takes a liking to the Mafia early in his life. A very crisp film. Bobby acted well as the Kid's father(No surprises there). Chazz Palminteri did a great job as Sonny. Good effort by everyone.

groucho070
31st January 2011, 01:22 PM
Based on Chazz Palminteri's one man play, which was based on his childhood. De Niro's Scorcese influence is very clear here.

Nerd
31st January 2011, 07:22 PM
Punch Drunk Love - Good but strictly one time watch. PTA neenga vERa settu. Anyway should watch Boogie nights before bidding adieu.

Sarna
31st January 2011, 07:24 PM
The perfect man - :thumbsup:

P_R
31st January 2011, 08:00 PM
Punch Drunk Love - Good but strictly one time watch. PTA neenga vERa settu. Anyway should watch Boogie nights before bidding adieu. :lol:

ajithfederer
31st January 2011, 11:00 PM
+1.

Devil

Hereafter, i am not going to read what the critics say. This movie is certainly watchable but for the climax.

AravindMano
2nd February 2011, 08:47 AM
Cache, once again. seriyAna maNdai, this Haneke.

I distinctly remember see a video clip of the most "shocking" scene of the film being sent/played by someone, but it's not actually there. Goes well with the concept of the film :P

This time, without the i-too-dissect-films baggage, i tend to think it is Majid's son. This particular dialogue he says, I wondered how it feels, a man's life on your conscience, seems to be placed carefully.

Did anyone else find the scene between the lead and his mother brilliant? Nothing much going on in that one, but the way it's staged and played..!

And the actor who plays Majid :notworthy:

rajkumarc
2nd February 2011, 11:51 AM
Watched Raging Bull - Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci were too good. The boxing scenes were very realistic. Cathy Moriarty was really charming in her role. Was surprised to know that she did not make it that big after such a wonderful debut. Overall, a very good movie from Scorcese.

I'm ready for Cape Fear next.

Sarna
2nd February 2011, 11:57 AM
Transporter - Similar to telugu Masala entertainer :thumbsup:

Nerd
2nd February 2011, 09:26 PM
I distinctly remember see a video clip of the most "shocking" scene of the film being sent/played by someone, but it's not actually there. Goes well with the concept of the film :P
Sorry, puriyalai. The most shocking scene in the film is slit-of-the-throat, no?!

Did anyone else find the scene between the lead and his mother brilliant? Nothing much going on in that one, but the way it's staged and played..!
+1. Lovely acting by the guy who plays Georges. He portrays the 'guilt' factor brilliantly.

AravindMano
2nd February 2011, 10:40 PM
Sorry, puriyalai. The most shocking scene in the film is slit-of-the-throat, no?!

Yeah. From my memory, I thought that scene was also recorded and delivered at the lead's place, which doesn't happen. Through out the film, we keep guessing that every scene could potentially be a video being played that we wait for the 'reverse' button to be pressed. So I tried to pull a joke that conceptually my memory works in sync with the film. Lame attempt at nagaichchuvai.

The film opens many doors on revisit. There is this scene in which Binoche talks intimately to her colleague in a cafe and minutes later in the film the kid behaves wierdly, even hints at an affair between Binoche and her colleague. How the kid gets that idea is not explained - was that scene at the cafe a video? recorded and delivered to the kid? May be I am biting too much, but the general Haneke employs this device suggests more implications. Like there are totally two scenes at Majid - the first one gets recorded and delivered, (because?) the lead doesn't disclose to his wife what actually happened. The second scene is the shocking scene and the lead doesn't lie this time and there is no video. prabalamAna, Haneke dhAn video anuppRaar notion holds good. ;)

Nerd
2nd February 2011, 11:19 PM
Hey thanks bro, nice thoughts there :-)

AravindMano
3rd February 2011, 05:40 AM
My pleasure Nerd, Thanks!

kid-glove
3rd February 2011, 11:21 AM
Finally Dvd/BR rip of Due date is Out. Have to watch that.

Anyone got a nice rip of Biutiful.

Sarna
3rd February 2011, 11:45 AM
Malena - hmmmm :roll:

complicateur
3rd February 2011, 07:04 PM
Never let me go. - Dir: Mark Romanek. Based on the Lazuo Ishiguro novel.

Set in a dystopian reality where people are 'cultivated' in a formalized manner for their organs, the film is remarkably poignant look at mortality and relationships. Don't let the initial part of the previous sentence fool you in any way, there is no gore in this film - it all looms behind ominous surgical rooms and strategically placed scars. While the obvious subtexts are its concerns with death and human pettiness, one of the more important things that film dealt with is segregation. It talks about the ease with which we can see someone with the exact same life-force as less than human and how when faced with this the mind is unable to reconcile with this notion.

A heavy film, so dont watch if you're looking for a pick-me-up.

Dinesh84
3rd February 2011, 07:11 PM
Malena - hmmmm :roll:

ippo thaan paakureengala ? :roll:

Nerd
3rd February 2011, 07:51 PM
Finally Dvd/BR rip of Due date is Out. Have to watch that.
Is it? Good news. I missed it on big screen since my colleagues dismissed it as a blade film :D

Anyone got a nice rip of Biutiful.
Except Dogtooth (which I have seen half) there are no decent rips of the other nominated foreign films, right?

kid-glove
3rd February 2011, 08:18 PM
Nerd, how could any film with DOwney jr could be boring? Should have its redeeming moments. :) I still rue the fact that I couldn't watch it in theatre with my friends, who found it funny.

kid-glove
3rd February 2011, 08:21 PM
I guess. But you have palm'or, golden bear, and Lion winners in torrents. Also Certified copy with the always excellent Binoche.

ajithfederer
4th February 2011, 12:44 AM
Independence day (1996) - Enna dhan sema dumeel aa irundhaalum, always interesting to watch especially Will Smith and Jeff Gold Blum scenes. What will be our teenages and twenties w/o Hollywood action films? :bow:

Sarna
4th February 2011, 09:19 AM

yeah....

btw, this one is better than "Kadhal" in the context of shocking realistic movie.

P_R
4th February 2011, 01:32 PM
Saw snatches of American Beauty last night
Continues to be whatay loully

ajithfederer
4th February 2011, 02:22 PM
The Motorcycle diaries - Pramadham. Oru manushanoda Payanam evvalavu vithyasamavum, aduthavangalai sindhikka vekkaradhayum paaka brahmayaa irukku. Che :clap:

ajaybaskar
4th February 2011, 02:52 PM

Neenga porandhavudane 'malena'thaan paatheengangra maadhiri kekkureenga? :lol2:

Dinesh84
4th February 2011, 03:06 PM
Neenga porandhavudane 'malena'thaan paatheengangra maadhiri kekkureenga? :lol2:
:evil:

Easy-A :D
Emma Stone 8-)

Sunil_M88
4th February 2011, 03:24 PM
Grown ups - If you're really bored then watch this for a giggle or two. I would address it as a time pass.

ajithfederer
5th February 2011, 05:23 AM
The Town - Goodl. Very Good.

Renner is a good choice for best supporting actor award. Too bad he will lose to Bale for The Fighter. Ben Affleck has the material for a good director.

jinju
5th February 2011, 11:30 AM
whatever happened to the Scorsese thread here? or can't i see it? just watched Cape Fear. is it the worst film he's ever made or is there any worse?

ajaybaskar
5th February 2011, 11:53 AM
The Town - Goodl. Very Good.

Renner is a good choice for best supporting actor award. Too bad he will lose to Bale for The Fighter. Ben Affleck has the material for a good director.

I liked it too..

rajkumarc
5th February 2011, 12:26 PM
I watched Cape Fear yesterday as well and did not like it. Maybe the original version was good but not planning to watch that either because of this one.

kid-glove
5th February 2011, 01:48 PM
Boxcar bertha
whatever happened to the Scorsese thread here? or can't i see it? just watched Cape Fear. is it the worst film he's ever made or is there any worse?He made a family drama that speculates the potential near-breakdown of relationships and fallible ethics of a decidedly 'good' state serving citizen, all while sacrifycing the dynamics of suspenseful thriller.

jinju
5th February 2011, 03:03 PM
Boxcar berthaHe made a family drama that speculates the potential near-breakdown of relationships and fallible ethics of a decidedly 'good' state serving citizen, all while sacrifycing the dynamics of suspenseful thriller.

thanxu bro.

hmm yeah, was expecting to be on the thriller side. breakdown of relationships part ellaam ok ok, nick nolte part n some of the decisions he makes thaan konjam clarity illaadha maadhiri irundhuchu. felt like kind of a wandering script. the buildup to the climax, climax in itself ellaam very un-Scorsese like.

btw, wherz the thread that was there for the man?

kid-glove
5th February 2011, 03:19 PM
Oh, it's missing!

ajithfederer
6th February 2011, 01:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ometb79hMh0&feature=channel

Funny video. How a question on Brad Pitt - Angelina jolie marriage intertwines with Damon and an Italian Journalist ending up in George clooney becoming Gay.

Hilarious stuff.

P_R
6th February 2011, 04:36 PM
The Social Network - David Fincher
Thoroughly interesting.

Ending konjam 'moral of the story is'-A illAma irundhirukkalaam

Nerd
7th February 2011, 12:02 AM
Due date - The only WOW thing about the film is about 3 minutes of psychedelia with zack high on weed, driving, with all windows closed and locked. Which in turn makes his passenger (Downey Jr) high as well with all the smoke. And what better song than Floyd's Hey you (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gELhNbDcLE0) to play in the background. Goosebumps guaranteed even for a non-Floyd fan. Picked up a six pack right after :oops:

Anyway some jokes worked, some dint, overall a nice watch. Downey and Zack did very well as expected..

kid-glove
7th February 2011, 12:09 AM
It worked for me. A thoroughly entertaining 90+ minutes.

Two great performances. Loved the part when Zack, playacting as the coach, takes the call of his wife asking for divorce (improv suggested by Downey). It's actually that 'poignant' look, the sign of a man in depression, that makes Zack what he is, I suppose.

kid-glove
7th February 2011, 12:12 AM
Oh, forgot the dog. If there's an Oscar for animals, it'd get a well-earned 'nod' :lol:

Nerd
7th February 2011, 12:21 AM
Absolutely, Zach does extremely well even in serious scenes. Especially in that grand canyon scene which starts with the ash disposal and ends with the confession and him getting beaten. Excellent talent. Hope he appears in non-comedian roles too. Anyway looking forward to The Hangover II.

+1 on the dog :lol:

Parthyy
7th February 2011, 12:22 AM
seeing it nth time...
gladiator ...there cannot be a braver portrayal of a man than Maximus..such a great epic ...I would rate Gladiator higher than Troy...

P_R
7th February 2011, 12:30 PM
From the lovely opening scene till the very end TSN completely clicked for me.
The frenzy in the characterization, the pacing that always seems to leave you a step behind, the acting all came together well.

The villainous Shaun Parker later in the movie is nearly my only grouse. After that lovely intro sequence and the lovely lunch scene I was expecting much out of him I guess. Were the Winkelwases (Winkelwi :lol:) played by twins or is it dabilaction?

The way it was narrated back and forth seemed not done for show but to exact sustain the level of interest that is difficult in a legal drama. Kood :clap:

Sunil_M88
7th February 2011, 01:10 PM
Love and other drugs - Not your typical rom-com. V. funny but the underlying message (about Parkinson's) is quite strong.

Stiglitz
7th February 2011, 08:03 PM
Just saw a Marathon of Movies

Four Lions - Hilarious :rotfl: and Thought Provoking. Loved everything abt it!

"It's The Gesture That Counts"

"Gesture?? When The Holy Rasulla..... Mohammed broke the Pagan Statues was he Doing something or making a Gesture?" :lol2:

Loved the final scene... never mind, check it out if anyone hasn't.

Adrift In Manhattan - Worth Watching once...

The Forth Kind - :thumbsup: Made me Jump a few times, an awesome presentation... Very good Suspence.

Face Off - Awesome! :cool:

Date Night - It was fine, a good time pass film, had a few good giggles, still prefer Get Smart over it though.

Killing Me Softly - Horrible Story, Horrible Acting.... Mediocre Porn.

ajithfederer
9th February 2011, 12:03 PM
Cop Out : A buddy cop film. Nothing extravagant. the usual regular stuff. Good tv flick. Sean William Scott was quite funny in his little role. Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan had a good chemistry.

ajaybaskar
9th February 2011, 05:20 PM
Absolutely, Zach does extremely well even in serious scenes. Especially in that grand canyon scene which starts with the ash disposal and ends with the confession and him getting beaten. Excellent talent. Hope he appears in non-comedian roles too. Anyway looking forward to The Hangover II.

+1 on the dog :lol:

+1.

Dad, you were like a father to me.. :rotfl:

P_R
9th February 2011, 10:00 PM
Finally watched Human Nature.
Excellent
Kaufman oru maaberum brilliant :bow:

Roshan
9th February 2011, 11:09 PM
What Lies Beneath - 1st half was good and quite gripping, 2nd half namma thamizh masala cinema range'ku irunthuchu.. climax was hilarious

Unforgiven - Good !

somu_87
10th February 2011, 02:14 AM
~My Sassy Girl~ Korean Version... Too good..... Overtime Justified the entire content of the muvie .... SMS ripped a scene frm this muvie :) ... b/w the english version is not as good as the korean one...

Sarna
10th February 2011, 12:45 PM
What Lies Beneath - 1st half was good and quite gripping, 2nd half namma thamizh masala cinema range'ku irunthuchu.. climax was hilarious

yeah .... Movies now channel dhaana ?

Bala (Karthik)
10th February 2011, 04:57 PM
Social Network :thumbsup:

Roshan
10th February 2011, 05:08 PM
yeah .... Movies now channel dhaana ?

illa Sarna, DVD..

P_R
10th February 2011, 05:25 PM
:nod: :rotfl: bayangara comedyA irukkum.

P_R
10th February 2011, 05:36 PM
It's like Sophie's choice..but it's Nathan's choice. You know the movie, Sophie's choice? It is like that. Only, it is this. - Human Nature

Hilarious movie. Admittedly surfacey but nevertheless hugely impressive.

The scene with multiple shocks after which Puff finally exudes the expressions of control. Rhys Isfans :rotfl:
The way he looks at the camera when he is being serviced, taking a swig of drink :lol:

The midget conversation before he announced himself, the kid hitting on Gabrielle, the totally lost father. Side-splitting.

Tim Robbins - I have only seen Hudsucker and Mystic River - talendaana aasaami dhaan pOla

As the friend most sincerely says I can offer you electrolysis - 'cause that's all I got

Kaufmaa, adutha padam enna solluppaa

littlemaster1982
10th February 2011, 05:46 PM
~My Sassy Girl~ Korean Version... Too good..... Overtime Justified the entire content of the muvie .... SMS ripped a scene frm this muvie :) ... b/w the english version is not as good as the korean one...

That slapping game scene was ripped in another b-grade film (per marandhutten).

ajaybaskar
10th February 2011, 06:03 PM
Karthik Anita

SoftSword
10th February 2011, 06:47 PM
i saw a non-indian film.. it was too good..
though it has a predictable climax, the treatment was great.

ajaybaskar
10th February 2011, 06:52 PM
Neenga enna padam paatheengannu theriyudhu.. :wink:

Of course, all those films have a predictable climax. But treatment rasikkiradhellam ippothaan kelvipadaren.

Sarna
10th February 2011, 07:40 PM
Karthik Anita

oru padam viduradhilla pOla ?

ajaybaskar
10th February 2011, 07:53 PM
Neenga vera.. Suntv top 10 moviesla, indha scene'aithaan 2 vaaram pottanga.

SoftSword
10th February 2011, 07:53 PM
Neenga enna padam paatheengannu theriyudhu.. :wink:

Of course, all those films have a predictable climax. But treatment rasikkiradhellam ippothaan kelvipadaren.

ajay :hammer:
chumma kelappi vidaadheenga..

VENKIRAJA
11th February 2011, 09:20 AM
Bluray revisits.

American History - X & Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind.
Brilliant stuff. Loved the ripping as well.

kid-glove
11th February 2011, 09:22 AM
American History - X (A-10, V-10, Film rating - ???)

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind. (A-10, V-10, Film rating - ???)

Sarna
11th February 2011, 09:25 AM
Scoop : Ultimately funny :rotfl2:

kid-glove
11th February 2011, 09:30 AM
Um, It's one of Woody's less funny films. Not a complete misfire though.

ajaybaskar
11th February 2011, 10:30 AM
Mr.Brooks

Cant someone (except KSR) remake this in tamil with Kamal in the lead?

Dinesh84
11th February 2011, 10:39 AM
saw 'Kung fu Hustle' yesterday on sony-pix.. nice movie.. 8-) :thumbsup:

Querida
11th February 2011, 11:07 AM

Just curious, since this is one of my fave movies...what's A and V stand for? Audio? Visual? :huh:

kid-glove
11th February 2011, 11:09 AM
Just curious, since this is one of my fave movies...what's A and V stand for? Audio? Visual? :huh:

Yes. A - Audio quality of Bluray rip (must be excellent. so 10), V- Video quality (likewise 10)

kid-glove
11th February 2011, 11:12 AM
On the Film. It's the kind of existential rom-com that I like. Transcendental stuff.

Recently I was watching "Annie Hall", and I couldn't help but recall ESOTSM quite often.

jinju
11th February 2011, 03:21 PM
lots of movies...quite a few pending for this weekend too....

Due Date - can be watched for the leads alone! thanks to ajay for rekindling my interest in a film which i'd decided not to watch mainly due to the average to below average ratings the reviewers had given...to hell with them! Zach, whatta man...his Don Corleone scene was :rotfl:. n RD Jr., perfect as always!

Devil - ok ok...

Burn After Reading - finally! lovedddddddd it! what a cast and what performances...watched it twice in a week. Clooney is unbelievable!

Unstoppable - thrilling ride

jinju
13th February 2011, 08:29 AM
The Town - yenpa ellorum indha padatha 'aahaa oho' nu solranga?! romba varusathukku munnaadi 90sla oru bollywood padam paathen...thappaana vazhila pora antihero/hero, avar vaazhkaila oru 'usual interesting' incident nadakkumbothu oru ladies-a meet, appram namma antihero/hero route-a maatthi slowly slowly love mood coming (but not revealing real job to lovergael), kadasila employer/friend/gangmate kitta poyi "i no more in this job...i want new start"nu solraan, avainga 'no way' 'kettavan eppovum kettavan' 'one last job or u r dead' indha maathiri solli blackmailing. adhukkapram antihero/hero unmai therinja heroine-a eppdiyo convince panni 'wait me'nu ellaam solli andha 'one last job'kku poraar...and ending also as usual happy bollywood ending. idhai ben affleck konjam sophistication-oda, konjam nalla moments, characters add panni senjirukkaar...and i wasted my sleep watching this last night (romba lengthyaavum irundhuchu)....immediately in need of a good film to get over the disappointment!!! Bardem saar, Inarritu, i coming ya.

ajithfederer
13th February 2011, 08:47 AM
Solravanga 1000 solluvaanga, neenga yen adhellam kekkuringa?. :lol2:. Modhalla indha kelvi kekkuradhai niruthunga :P.

jinju
13th February 2011, 08:54 AM
Solravanga 1000 solluvaanga, neenga yen adhellam kekkuringa?. :lol2:. Modhalla indha kelvi kekkuradhai niruthunga :P.

sure AF:mrgreen:

irundhaalum RT ellaam 94%...too much i say!:???:

kid-glove
13th February 2011, 02:54 PM
Biutiful - Bad. Innaritu :wave: I never considered I'd yearn for Arriaga (even if he also settles for simplistic surfacy contrivances)

Bardem - Good. Not a challenging character to start with (certainly not on par with some of his best, Before Night Falls or Mar Adentro)

Nerd
13th February 2011, 06:51 PM
Biutiful - Bad. Innaritu :wave:
aahaa pOchaaa..

VENKIRAJA
14th February 2011, 09:41 AM
American History - X (A-10, V-10, Film rating - ???)

Film rating.. mhmm

AH-X : 10.
ESotSM: 8~9

All this is just from the top of my mind. Loved AH-X more this time.

raghavendran
15th February 2011, 12:06 PM
Few Good Men
very good movie...Tom Cruise----Kick-Ass stuff

kid-glove
15th February 2011, 12:46 PM
Tom Cruise is good while also limited. But it's Jack Nicholson who kicks-Ass.

kid-glove
15th February 2011, 12:46 PM
Welcome back dude.

ajaybaskar
15th February 2011, 01:40 PM
13 Hours

Wasted my '2 hours'

Stiglitz
15th February 2011, 03:33 PM
Anti-Christ..... Holy Motherfucker!! WTF!?? Insane! A must watch though, if anyone can see this film more than once then They've got a hell of a stomach.... :shock:

Cannibal Holocaust (1980) - "" "" "" "" "" "" "" "" "" "" "" ""

ajaybaskar
15th February 2011, 03:55 PM
I saw antichrist last year. Self and KG were raving about the cinematography in the film's opening credits then. :wink:

kid-glove
15th February 2011, 04:03 PM
It's one of the best opening sequences I've ever seen. Not just for the sex. ( which is great too :lol: )

Stiglitz
15th February 2011, 04:10 PM
The Opening Sequence was Sex Depicted as an Art! Exactly! One of the best opening sequences I've ever seen 2! :thumbsup: The Story was seriously F'd up though! I lost my appetite after the last scene in the film. :nausea: :shiver:

ajaybaskar
15th February 2011, 04:28 PM
Anthony Dod Mantle is THE man.. :clap:

SoftSword
15th February 2011, 04:37 PM
calendar entry added.

kid-glove
15th February 2011, 06:07 PM
I thought they shot that slow-mo sequence on Film (like Fincher does in Zodiac or Mann in Miami Vice). But it's on high-speed digital cameras. Mixed with that WCM Background score, it's something else !

Of course, my fav. opening sequence EVER also has WCM in background with Bobby dancing(warming-up in truth, but the movement is poetic as a ballet) in the ring. It's also slow-mo Black and white!

Benny Lava
15th February 2011, 06:17 PM
I saw antichrist last year. Self and KG were raving about the cinematography in the film's opening credits then. :wink:

The same guy was the cinematographer for SDM also right?

ajaybaskar
15th February 2011, 06:28 PM
Yeah. Also for 127 hrs.

raghavendran
15th February 2011, 06:52 PM
Tom Cruise is good while also limited. But it's Jack Nicholson who kicks-Ass.
yes true...esp the scene where he makes tom to ask him for the transfer certificate in a a polite manner...

kid-glove
15th February 2011, 07:33 PM
The whole lunch sequence (air of superiority.) Denigrating Demi Moore (& Tom Cruise in the process) and men in white uniform, in general.

His interaction with subordinate officer who he had trampled & overhauled (in rank) on the way (showing who's the boss)

Courtroom sequence (even if Cruise wins the legal spin by getting it out, it's Nicholson who pins down everybody with ever-so-righteous, scandalous authority!)

Prabo
15th February 2011, 08:00 PM
Once Upon a Time in the West - Too good. Sergio Leone, Ennio Morricone, Henry Fonda :notworthy:
Running scared - Well, it's good.
Faster - Cool cars, guns, action & BBT....OK movie. By the way its almost like male version of Kill Bill

salaam_chennai
16th February 2011, 01:40 AM
Batman (1989)

The movie was good. It was better than Batman Begins. Jack Nicholson's performance was the highlight. It was over the top in some scenes. but thats ok i guess.

salaam_chennai
16th February 2011, 01:41 AM
+1 for Jack Nicholson was kick ass in A Few Good Men. The courtroom scene is my favorite too.

Tom Cruise: I want the truth!

Jack: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world with walls that must be guarded. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have more responsibility than you can fathom.

groucho070
16th February 2011, 08:59 AM
Alice In Wonderland

What happened to Tim Burton? What an unwatchable film! :sad:

groucho070
16th February 2011, 09:10 AM
There's Something About Mary.

Well, there's something about the film that makes it adorable. Goldman, in his second memoir, cited this as one of those perfect scripts.

VENKIRAJA
16th February 2011, 10:34 AM
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.
Dagaar. Naansans. Kanraavi. :rant:

ajithfederer
16th February 2011, 10:54 AM
Mission Impossible 1. Decent Timepass

MI-3 > MI-1 > M1-2

Sarna
16th February 2011, 11:19 AM
The Hill Has Eyes - uvvE ... aruvaruppaa irundhadhu ... tamil'la vandha Goa padam paaththa feeling :sigh2:

groucho070
16th February 2011, 12:09 PM
We always bitch and moan about how unoriginal TFI filmakers are. Well, check this out (http://www.cracked.com/article_19021_5-amazing-things-invented-by-donald-duck-seriously.html)

groucho070
17th February 2011, 08:55 AM
It's Complicated.

Many times I am compelled to say that Meryl Streep is the NT of Hollywood, in terms of consistency in performance and her prolific outputs. This film is a testimony that if you take her out of a mediocre so-called rom-com, the films would be aweful. With a simple story, the entire film depended on her, even with Alec Baldwin (a competent guy) and a sober Steve Martin (stop aping Sellers!). And she looks so gorgeous without too much makeup or plastic gorgeous, at 60 nonetheless.

ajaybaskar
17th February 2011, 11:01 AM
The Resident

Watch it if you have all the time on earth!!

groucho070
17th February 2011, 11:19 AM
Appadina? Boring? Very long?

ajaybaskar
17th February 2011, 11:25 AM
Boring. This is the umpteenth film made in Hollywood on the same subject.

groucho070
17th February 2011, 12:05 PM
Okay, explains why I never heard of it in the first place.

kid-glove
17th February 2011, 12:30 PM
Stone - 'meh' film, could be watched for scenes with Mila Jovovich (hell yeah!)

Ed Norton - getting streamlined to same sort of performance these days. Must get back to form..

De Niro - plays a complicated character. Plays it on back foot. Restraint & well pitched.

jinju
17th February 2011, 12:47 PM
127 Hours:clap:

The real Aron Ralston:bow:, Danny Boyle:bow:, James Franco:clap:, ARR :aanandha kanneer: when i see in the titles 'Original music score by AR Rahman'

watched it twice the same night (public demand by spouse for a 'once more').

ajaybaskar
17th February 2011, 12:48 PM
The Blue ray rip is out.

kid-glove
17th February 2011, 12:52 PM
While it's a pretty good film, I don't think I'll watch that film again.

ajaybaskar
17th February 2011, 12:55 PM
Me too.. But i have already watched it thrice..

SoftSword
17th February 2011, 03:31 PM
naan first time mudichadhukku apram amputation scene mattum thirumba rendu murai paartthen...
need to watch again.

kid-glove
17th February 2011, 03:38 PM
Actually the amputation scene isn't the reason why I'd skip it. I watched Salo twice. But it doesn't strike as a 'repeat viewing' film. Loved the visual metaphors though..

ajaybaskar
17th February 2011, 03:43 PM
Its hard to believe that the film was shot by two cinematographers. Stunning work!! Kudos to Danny too.

kid-glove
17th February 2011, 03:46 PM
Its hard to believe that the film was shot by two cinematographers. Stunning work!! Kudos to Danny too.

Thought it'd be three, in line with multiple triptych splitscreen shots..

SoftSword
17th February 2011, 03:47 PM
mm it happens kid.
u ll get some motivation to watch it again this month end. :)

kid-glove
17th February 2011, 08:57 PM
I'm here (2010, Spike Jonze) - Oh dear, get back to Kaufman!

Sarna
17th February 2011, 08:59 PM
Mars attack - nallaa dhaan iukku.... climax edhirpaarththa damaal-dumeel'nu illaama, chappayaa irundhaalum, OK. Not bad.

raghavendran
17th February 2011, 09:02 PM
2001.A SPACE ODESSEY
its a breathtaking film...never seen something like this before..
:bow::bow:

rajkumarc
17th February 2011, 11:39 PM
Revisited The Shining. An amazing horror movie. It is visually so rich especially all the scenes inside the hotel. A haunting title score to such a beautiful location actually prepares you for the horror that unfolds later. Jack Nicholson and that little kid were superb in their roles.

I did not understand one thing in the climax, why do they show a picture of Jack in that photo in the end. What significance it has to what happened during the movie?

salaam_chennai
18th February 2011, 12:04 AM
rajkumarc,
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081505/faq#.2.1.69

ajithfederer
18th February 2011, 12:50 AM
He was always the caretaker of that hotel.

Revisited The Shining. An amazing horror movie. It is visually so rich especially all the scenes inside the hotel. A haunting title score to such a beautiful location actually prepares you for the horror that unfolds later. Jack Nicholson and that little kid were superb in their roles.

I did not understand one thing in the climax, why do they show a picture of Jack in that photo in the end. What significance it has to what happened during the movie?

rajkumarc
18th February 2011, 02:14 AM
Thanks af and s_c. The IMDB link was very helpful. Lot of good comments on various aspects in that movie. I will get to watch it again after reading them all.

raghavendran
18th February 2011, 12:45 PM
Pulp Fiction
easily one of the best films i have seen..the narration style-vintage TARANTINO..chanceless...the way jeuls and vince walk out of the restaurant--:smokesmirk:
the whole narration comes in a circular format..btw i realised there is no separate plot..just a array of few sequences revolving around Marsellus and his associates.. any conversation wil have something happening at the end of it...trademark tarantino...gethu pa :clap::bow::shoot:

groucho070
18th February 2011, 01:00 PM
Criminal Law (1988)

Actually five minutes of it (morning waiting for wife to get ready). I saw the lead looking vaguely like Christian Bale, but it's 1980s dammit, Bale was a kid making a movie with Spielberg. Appuram nalla uthtupaartaa...ada namma Gary Oldman-u. I know he's good looking and all, but not this good looking. And playing an American lawyer. Is there no end to this man's cameleonesque performances? He looks different from one film to another. Too bad I had only five minutes. I'd definitely catch it again (shown in HBO)

kid-glove
18th February 2011, 02:24 PM
You got it bang on about the chameleon tendencies of this amazing, amazing actor.

groucho070
18th February 2011, 02:28 PM
Look at this. Look at this:http://dorkandbeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/actorgaryoldman.jpgGot that from this amusing piece I found in the net. (http://dorkandbeans.com/will-the-real-gary-oldman-please-stand-up/)

ajithfederer
21st February 2011, 03:41 AM
Hell Yeah. Easily. Meryl Streep is the best actress.

It's Complicated.

Many times I am compelled to say that Meryl Streep is the NT of Hollywood, in terms of consistency in performance and her prolific outputs. This film is a testimony that if you take her out of a mediocre so-called rom-com, the films would be aweful. With a simple story, the entire film depended on her, even with Alec Baldwin (a competent guy) and a sober Steve Martin (stop aping Sellers!). And she looks so gorgeous without too much makeup or plastic gorgeous, at 60 nonetheless.

kid-glove
21st February 2011, 09:53 AM
Never Let Me Go - undercooked, selective & unfulfilled.

kid-glove
21st February 2011, 09:56 AM
It does put up a bleak dystopian possibility in a convincing manner, so it's worth watching (of course). And truly remarkable performances by the young cast. Garfield and Mulligan in particular.

VENKIRAJA
21st February 2011, 09:58 AM
4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days:
Blank. Didn't like.

RocknRolla:
Gethu. Whatta dialogue!!

Bluray Revisits
Lock, stock and two smoking barrels.

kid-glove
21st February 2011, 10:06 AM
The Bengali Detective - This is my idea of 'time pass' (to use the most overused excuse that's thrown around.) Hey, it got some nods in Sundance and Berlinale. Contains one of my favorite performances of the year. :lol:

ajithfederer
21st February 2011, 10:23 AM
Camaan Ya :2thumbsup:

RocknRolla:
Gethu. Whatta dialogue!!

Dinesh84
21st February 2011, 12:36 PM
Spaceballs The Movie :rotfl2:

ennama kalaaikiraanga.. Star wars family total damage..

groucho070
21st February 2011, 12:51 PM
Spaceballs The Movie :rotfl2:

Good another fan. "Part man, part dog, I'm my own best friend" :lol: A very quotable film. "What's the matter Col. Sandurz....chicken?"

Dinesh84
21st February 2011, 01:43 PM
Good another fan. "Part man, part dog, I'm my own best friend" :lol: A very quotable film. "What's the matter Col. Sandurz....chicken?"

:lol: yes.. the sequence where they load the 'instant cassette' of 'Spaceball' movie to find out the where abouts of Princess was a riot..

groucho070
21st February 2011, 02:01 PM
:lol: Actually it's the pirated (bootleg) copy of the same movie, how they seemed to be on market before films hit the theatres. Yabba, it's still relevant today in the days of torrent, etc. I loved Mighty Yoghurt's merchandises.

VENKIRAJA
22nd February 2011, 10:35 AM
Toy story 3 in bluray.
How did I miss this in the big screen?! Starting was naansans, got much better as it progressed. As always, not just for kids. :clap:

Sarna
22nd February 2011, 11:01 AM
My Super Ex-Girlfriend - Not bad. But aagaayaththula parandhuttE honeymoon was thillaalangadi karpanai :thumbsup:

littlemaster1982
22nd February 2011, 11:27 AM
Toy story 3 in bluray.
How did I miss this in the big screen?! Starting was naansans, got much better as it progressed. As always, not just for kids. :clap:

I thought you are a Pixar fan :twisted:

salaam_chennai
22nd February 2011, 11:52 AM
Inherit The Wind (1960)
A school teacher is accused of crime for teaching Theory of evolution. A big-shot lawyer and a Politician fight it out in the court. A wonderful courtroom drama.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053946/

VENKIRAJA
22nd February 2011, 04:37 PM
Camaan Ya :2thumbsup:
:cool:
Watched it again. Though not in the league of LSnTSB, definitely better than Snatch. Primary reason was Snatch's narrator. Bah!

I am! But TS3 got missed due to some trip I guess, and when I came back home it was running all night shows and only in Inox AFAIR. Sad, really!

Benny Lava
22nd February 2011, 09:54 PM

Actually I didn't feel TS3 was that great :roll: The emotional masala also didn't work for me :(

littlemaster1982
22nd February 2011, 10:51 PM
Actually I didn't feel TS3 was that great :roll: The emotional masala also didn't work for me :(

I became pretty emotional during that garbage dump scene :cry:

kid-glove
22nd February 2011, 10:52 PM
It's no patch on first two films. I squirmed watching the barbie doll romance stuff. :sigh:

littlemaster1982
22nd February 2011, 10:54 PM
:cool:
Watched it again. Though not in the league of LSnTSB, definitely better than Snatch. Primary reason was Snatch's narrator. Bah!

:huh: What's wrong with Snatch? I loved that film :twisted:

Stiglitz
22nd February 2011, 10:56 PM

The emotional drama is the beauty of it. They're toys... :)

I'm a big TS Fan...

Monster's Inc is a personal fav :D

Stiglitz
22nd February 2011, 11:04 PM
Went on a stoner Movie Phase for the past 2 days...

Friday :rotfl:

Next Friday - Not as Ghetto as the first, but was definatly funnier

Friday After Next - Satisfactory.

How High - Piece of Shit

Puff Puff Pass - Satisfactory

The Evil Bong - Trippy.

kubrick
23rd February 2011, 12:20 AM
Sunset Limited (TV). Obviously good performances by Jones and Jackson. It was too philosophical for me to grasp in parts which is kind of what the whole movie is, so no complains but surely needs a second viewing. Felt that it lacked the cinematic touch, it was almost as if a play was recorded except for some decent shots and Close-ups. I have been to a couple of not-that-great plays of Evam, I think I'll like watching such plays as the original Sunset Ltd.

ajithfederer
23rd February 2011, 12:23 AM
Engalukku pudikalinga :noteeth:

J/K yet to watch it fully.

:huh: What's wrong with Snatch? I loved that film :twisted:

cinema
23rd February 2011, 03:06 AM
The Social Network. Classical American tale. Must watch for youngsters.

VENKIRAJA
23rd February 2011, 10:44 AM
Il Mare aka The Sea (2000)
Don't know whether it was Chinese or Korean, Echizen rip though. Better than the classic. Very well shot. Architecture, so naturally got amused ;)

Malena :mad:
Naansans. Oru thundu bit kooda illa. Fake WoM. Its a sad place Second world Europe. Horrible to imagine, how it would have been even before. Sift Deleted Italian places which I wanted to see before I die.

groucho070
23rd February 2011, 10:50 AM
Malena :mad:
Naansans. Oru thundu bit kooda illa. Fake WoM. :lol: Athey dissapointment enakku ten years ago. Other than that, it's a moving story.

littlemaster1982
23rd February 2011, 10:58 AM
Il Mare aka The Sea (2000)
Don't know whether it was Chinese or Korean, Echizen rip though. Better than the classic. Very well shot. Architecture, so naturally got amused ;)

It's a Korean film, lead girl is from My Sassy Girl. Yeah, cinematography was superb. Film is quite good too.

Benny Lava
23rd February 2011, 07:56 PM
The emotional drama is the beauty of it. They're toys... :)

Ya, but for some reason I found it a bit formulaic :roll:

But actually I do realize that most animation films have a preset pattern... omg... If I can't get over this fact I may no longer be able to enjoy animation movies :shaking:

Benny Lava
23rd February 2011, 08:27 PM
Triangle,

Mind bending, brain plumbing stuff ellaam OK... but after watching the film, the only lingering thought is "What's the point?" A recursive loopy story made possible by an incredibly stupid lead character.

VENKIRAJA
24th February 2011, 10:39 AM
On the revisiting trail, The Shawshank Redemption. Yes, bluray. One of those movies, which never gets old or boring. Rightly #1 on IMDb. Yes LM, it is the film one's gotta watch before he dies. Your gunpoint choice is justified. ;) Noticed a few things this time around. Andy loses his freedom, the year we won it. :lol: The tale of brooks, if a shortfilm on youtube will be the best piece of shortstory I've ever read. Such a brilliant piece. The tamil dubbed version was almost equivalently good. M.S.Bhasker's voice was just perfect. And, Morgan Freeman - Legendary.

littlemaster1982
24th February 2011, 11:20 AM
Triangle,

Mind bending, brain plumbing stuff ellaam OK... but after watching the film, the only lingering thought is "What's the point?" A recursive loopy story made possible by an incredibly stupid lead character.

Had similar feelings after watching "Exam" last week. A supposedly intelligent story, but the film was too pretentious.

littlemaster1982
24th February 2011, 11:21 AM
On the revisiting trail, The Shawshank Redemption. Yes, bluray. One of those movies, which never gets old or boring. Rightly #1 on IMDb. Yes LM, it is the film one's gotta watch before he dies. Your gunpoint choice is justified. ;)

Can you remind me about this :confused2: Suttham gnabagam illa :|

ajaybaskar
24th February 2011, 11:40 AM
Master,

Exam paathutteengala?

littlemaster1982
24th February 2011, 01:46 PM
Yes. Didn't like it.

arthi2780
24th February 2011, 06:54 PM
Danish movie "Kandidaten".
Last week I saw "Fritt Vilt" 1 & 2 (Norwegian)

Have you guys seen the Spanish movie "Los cronocrímenes" (TimeCrimes). Its a good thriller (and has its own funny moments). But the real thing is that, after watching the movie, its hard to narrate the events ... lol ...

Sarna
24th February 2011, 09:27 PM
Are we there yet - really funny :rotfl2:

kubrick
24th February 2011, 09:55 PM
Have you guys seen the Spanish movie "Los cronocrímenes" (TimeCrimes). Its a good thriller (and has its own funny moments). But the real thing is that, after watching the movie, its hard to narrate the events ... lol ...

I loved it! Don't remember it that well because I watched it in 2008. I remember it being a very hard one line told in a neat way, extremely teasing the audience (in a good way) and it being very cool. After joining this The Hub I wanna re-visit so many of my favorites that I have actually forgotten. Thanks!

Vigalando's next according to IMDb is Extraterreste. UFOs!!!

arthi2780
25th February 2011, 03:20 AM
being a very hard one line told in a neat way, extremely teasing the audience (in a good way) and it being very cool.

Yes, you are right. Check you PM. I do not want to spoil it for others :)

ajithfederer
25th February 2011, 04:54 AM
http://www.novaksblog.com/2007/07/20/hollywood-in-70s/

Some old pics.

Sarna
25th February 2011, 10:13 AM
Holiday in handcuffs - nonsense yet funny :rotfl3:

ajaybaskar
25th February 2011, 11:57 AM
Spy Game

Who is this Robert Redford? Nalla nadikkuraare?

kubrick
25th February 2011, 02:52 PM
Spy Game

Who is this Robert Redford? Nalla nadikkuraare?

He is a very well known American actor. Apparently his The Sting is one of the best movies ever made but naan paathathille. I have watched his Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, extreme fun film. Paul Newman and Redford gethu kaatirupaanga. I dont think you need to be a fan of westerns to like it. If you haven't seen it yet then I think you should.

arthi2780
25th February 2011, 04:41 PM
Redford movies are really good, but it needs suitable audiences. Some noted Films are : Out of Africa, A bridge too far, All the preseident's men, Downhill Racer, 3 days of condor, Indecent proposal ....

Try to watch Redford's "Last Castle" (Virumandi prison break was inspired from this movie ... )

P_R
25th February 2011, 04:41 PM
Sting is also Redford-Newman.
oru maadhiri sumaara nallaavE irukkum. Best ever-laam three much.

ajithfederer
25th February 2011, 11:25 PM
Zombieland - Funny,

Every character Emma stone, Eisenberg, Harrelson and the little girl were funny. It's a good idea that they made a comedy film out of zombies.

Roshan
26th February 2011, 01:56 AM
Apocalypto.

Excellent and Disturbing !

arthi2780
26th February 2011, 01:57 AM
Zombieland - Funny,

Have you seen Shaun of the Dead ?

ajithfederer
26th February 2011, 03:08 AM
Illainga

Paathadhu illa. Why is it from the same director?.

groucho070
26th February 2011, 07:16 AM
http://www.novaksblog.com/2007/07/20/hollywood-in-70s/

Some old pics.Thanks Stan. Great pix. Great era. Great stars. They don't make 'em like that no more...:sad:

kubrick
26th February 2011, 05:27 PM
Ju Dou (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099902/)

Just saw it today. Gave 8 upon 10 in IMDb. This movie discusses relationship and how perception of good or bad changes from person to person. It even says there is nothing called good or bad. The characters, screenplay, story everything is brilliant. Gradual transitions and character changes are shown very subtly. Visuals are breathtaking and the director has used the premise and its colors to evoke so many moods. Indians can relate to this movie more than the westerners because culture plays a huge role here.

VENKIRAJA
26th February 2011, 07:27 PM
Sting is also Redford-Newman.
oru maadhiri sumaara nallaavE irukkum. Best ever-laam three much.

BC&SK thaan matter. Meedhi ellam summa salpi matter only.

Stiglitz
28th February 2011, 02:40 PM
Apocalypto.

The way it ended it made it even more disturbing...

We think their culture is violent and savage, but the worst is just waiting in Ships on the shoreline... A Time of Ethnic Cleansing, Religious Persecution and Genocide waits the Indigenous Population of the Continent...

ajaybaskar
28th February 2011, 02:46 PM
Apocalypto.

One good movie that didn't get the recognition that it deserved.

Stiglitz
28th February 2011, 02:56 PM
Illainga

Paathadhu illa. Why is it from the same director?.

same kinda film... Comedy Zombie flick...

From the same guys who did "Hot Fuzz" and "Paul"

Check it out, it's defiantly worth a watch...

VENKIRAJA
1st March 2011, 10:24 AM
Chinatown.
Dagaar.
unmayileye idhai ellam vechikkita 70s unbeatable-nu ellam sandai poduraainga? 90s is vaaipillamai, any day.

kid-glove
1st March 2011, 11:52 AM
Chinatown.
Dagaar.
unmayileye idhai ellam vechikkita 70s unbeatable-nu ellam sandai poduraainga? 90s is vaaipillamai, any day.

Possibly the best non-black&white noir of all-time..

groucho070
1st March 2011, 12:11 PM
Movie Marathon in Cinemax yesterday.

From Here to Eternity.(1953)
For most part I was figuring out whether Sinatra has already start wearing wigs. He had. Lancaster's performance seemed two decades out of style. Montgomery Clift is as usual, stunning.

The Bridge on the River Kwai(1957)
Intha mathiri padam ellam inime yarachum eduppanggala? No way! Nobody can do it again. Guiness & Holden, casting made in heaven.

War of the World1953
I won't say original is better, but it still had that smell of fear. The terror, the paranoia. Spielberg's becomes a chase movie in the middle, and then a monster movie. Is this better? Nah, I say read the book.

The StingThe year the bloke who will one day go with the username groucho070 was born.
It's still holds up. Pity Newman and Redford didn't do more films together, they make such a great couple.

2001: A Space Odyssey1968
To see it in pan and scan mode is criminal.

Roshan
2nd March 2011, 06:24 PM
The way it ended it made it even more disturbing...

We think their culture is violent and savage, but the worst is just waiting in Ships on the shoreline... A Time of Ethnic Cleansing, Religious Persecution and Genocide waits the Indigenous Population of the Continent...

Hmm.. correct. And yes the ending was disturbing. k_g had a good point elsewhere in the hub on this and I agree with him;

It's almost like Mel's pitching how the Christian mercenaries (the white beacon, at the very end of the film you see the ship approaching) would reform these Mayan half-animals! I'd not be wrong if I suspect Mel's being extremely insincere here.

VENKIRAJA
3rd March 2011, 10:43 AM
Possibly the best non-black&white noir of all-time..

What are the better Noir movies of the colorless era? (Maltese Falcon? Oh! Please!)
This ine, felt very much like Casablanca, ending twist or whatever very disappointing. If not for Nicholson (Even Dunaway was just average) its a very ordinary movie.

kubrick
3rd March 2011, 10:53 AM
Hereafter

Another underrated movie from 2010. I hate when people don't see that such a perspective movie has taken an objective view of the point it is talking about. What Hereafter is dealing with is something which hasn't been proven or explained so the chances of it getting on a side was very easy but it was Eastwood who was directing and walking on such a thin line is child's play for him. The central characters are of a school boy, a french journalist woman and a Psychic. All three characters have been etched and played with extreme fineness. Though some visuals for the so called Hereafter but what the heck it is after all an american movie. :P

Down By Law

Jarmusch has been a director who I have been wanting to check for a very long time and only the day before yesterday I did. After hearing (almost always reading) so much about him I did have expectations and the genre which he says DBT to be under itself fascinated me. The genre is neo-beat-noir-comedy . I so wanted to check the fusion of neo-noir and beat generation and comedy. And what did that turn into? A compelling drama about three convicts. I enjoyed this movie from the very first scene itself. The support Jarmusch gets from his actors is just incredible especially Benigni, there are so many funny scenes and the subtle ones from jack and zack are too good.

If you are a fan of neo-noir and some weirdness I say "GO FOR IT". Brilliant movie.

kid-glove
3rd March 2011, 10:58 AM
Comparing this ending to Casablanca's is a crime. :lol:

groucho070
3rd March 2011, 11:42 AM
Chinatown.

I see noir when I see most of the main characters are doomed. Either pyshically or psychologically. Chinatown has it. Jake is sleazy, money grubbing private dick, but he had a little heart and that is not enough to save him from getting washed up by rising tide, literally in this film. The film boasts one of the most greatest villain ever, played by one of the greatest director ever. The adultery revealed in this film was pretty shocking for his time. "my sister, my daughter, my sister, my daughter..." Haunting!

It's powerful drama, plain and simple. Another brilliant script analysed by master scriptwriter, William Goldman, in his first memoir. Robert Towne was once a god, and this was his master creation. And yes, the 70s was awesome. :smokesmile:

Hey, I even like the much disliked sequel.

ajithfederer
3rd March 2011, 11:43 AM
SEeena town is a very good philum. Liked both nicholson and dunaway in the film.

ajithfederer
3rd March 2011, 11:50 AM
Venki appadi enna 90'sla irukku?

kid-glove
3rd March 2011, 12:10 PM
One other aspect of Noir is "Everything is not as it seems"! And this is exactly how you'd describe the universe of Chinatown. By the same token as Kim Novak of Vertigo, the Dunaway character isn't a femme fatale as we're led to believe until the final third, she's a tragic figure. Much like Scottie, Jake creates a whole lot of danger than good as he's being lured into this delusive cesspool where morality is as blind as Funaway's shot-out eye in its denouement. I'm sure there are many more treasures to be found in this 70's masterpiece.

Among the best decades of Hollywood, 90's isn't one of its richest. 70's at least stakes a claim!
In fact, Asian cinema has caught up with Holly in 90's and 00's.

groucho070
3rd March 2011, 02:29 PM
Excellent, Thilak.

Film Noir:
Doomed characters.
(as per Thilak's definition) Everything is not as it seems.
Protagonist who gets bounced like a bloody ping pong ball.
Feeling of being trapped (use of bars, fence, gate shadow falling on characters)
basically living in a rotten world.
Behind the already shrunken protagonist lies bigger, evil scheme that he's helpless to do anything about.
Helpless is the key word here.
Crime does not pay, especially if the protagonists involved in it.
There's lots of hate going on (re. some of Robert Mitchum's stuff)
Protagonist is not a happy dude at the climax. Leave that to the westerns.

groucho070
3rd March 2011, 02:31 PM
Venki appadi enna 90'sla irukku?Athe....one of the worst's decade ever. And I was heavy movie watching during this decade.

P_R
3rd March 2011, 03:06 PM
I have seen much less than a handful of films in this genre.Double Indemnity, The Third Man...avvaLavu yEn 'even' Big Sleep கூட ஒரு மாதிரி சுமாரா புடிக்கின்.
But not a big fan of Chinatavin.

the Dunaway character isn't a femme fatale as we're led to believe until the final third, she's a tragic figure this is perhaps as close to the possible reason why I think the film didn't work. I had 'eh?' reaction to the 'revelation'. Why Nicholson goes 'out of the way' on this case to begin with, their louss.....these didn't work for me at all.

kid-glove
3rd March 2011, 03:56 PM
Excellent, Thilak.

Film Noir:
Doomed characters.
(as per Thilak's definition) Everything is not as it seems.
Protagonist who gets bounced like a bloody ping pong ball.
Feeling of being trapped (use of bars, fence, gate shadow falling on characters)
basically living in a rotten world.
Behind the already shrunken protagonist lies bigger, evil scheme that he's helpless to do anything about.
Helpless is the key word here.
Crime does not pay, especially if the protagonists involved in it.
There's lots of hate going on (re. some of Robert Mitchum's stuff)
Protagonist is not a happy dude at the climax. Leave that to the westerns.

:clap:

Even without going to its Noir conventions & subversion (that they end up calling it neo-noir), it's a fine, fine film.

P_R,
'lous' happen in a very 'plausible' manner, and not 'out of the way' at all. After the tumultuous encounter, the sexual intimacy is born out of the moment (& that's how it's shown). It's also part driven by vulnerability (characteristic soft-center of hard-boiled noir.) as Jakes slightly opens up to her (even while keeping it to 'sex' with the just-widow), she first uses this to surreptitiously dodge his advances to dig the actual truth as it's far too disgusting & painfull to reveal. And the audience, like Jakes, isn't quite assured too. Only later would we, by the way of Jakes, trail, peak, & dig it up. Both Nicholson & Dunaway play the characters as they should, each wanting to "read" each other. But neither is thinly drawn out to trust one another. Look at all their encounters until the tirade of slaps..

P_R
3rd March 2011, 04:21 PM
I guess it's one of those films/books that you first ought to know the 'regular' movies of, so you appreciate when it is kinda 'turned on its head' etc.

It's one of my 'to revisit' list, not sure when I will.They keep showing it on UTV Waeld movies, I watch a few scenes and leave it: somehow never drawn in.

kid-glove
3rd March 2011, 05:16 PM
It's a thoroughly entertaining watch. You should revisit it in one full sitting! :)

Nerd
3rd March 2011, 10:40 PM
Chinatown is excellent but 70s is not the best decade for sure. Don't ask me which is, I don't know :lol2:

127 hours - Good. The flashback scenes could have been written well. May be thats what happened in his life but they were sort of bland. The only thing which worked was his monologue of his life. But all the present scenes (incl the one with the ladees) were very well shot. The amputation scene was OK, but him sinking his face on a dirty pool of water made me cringe, not to the extent of the Trainspotting face sink followed by the swim. Rahman's score was brilliant in the last 20 mins starting with the continuum piece (Acid Darbari?) Franco was excellent. Boyle seems to be a totally different film maker based on his last 2 films.

Overall a good watch.