PDA

View Full Version : Which non-indian film u saw recently has made u post here???

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Stiglitz
12th October 2011, 05:59 PM
I saw a few this weekend.

Kung Fu Panda 2. Quite good... Ver entertaining.

Green Lantern - Worth Watching once... Maybe...

Thor - Good Stuff... Considering its Thor n not Batman. This was a good film. Ha breathtaking CG.. Mediocre story... Tons of action. Overall a pretty good show.

Contingion - Before i saw it ppl said it was abt bioterrorism... I didnt see that... Very good watch... Riveting

Sid_316
13th October 2011, 03:05 PM
Breaking bad seasons 3 and 4 :bow: Thaar maar! Emmys for both Bryan Cranston and Giancarlo Esposito please :thumbsup:

AF - Breaking bad > Dexter for me now :-P

VENKIRAJA
13th October 2011, 09:46 PM
Watched Chaser.
Ajay annan strong rekamendesan.
Perusa Pudikala :roll:

AravindMano
15th October 2011, 01:32 AM
Suthama pudikkala. :mad:
We were teasing it so very much, one North Indies fellow got frustrated and started shouting "Stop the commentary yaar!" from a few rows at the back. He was taunted, too. ;)

:lol: Audience here too loved to hate it.

littlemaster1982
15th October 2011, 10:13 AM
Scarface. Why is this film a cult :roll: Liked Al Pacino though.

wizzy
15th October 2011, 10:58 AM
Breaking bad seasons 3 and 4 :bow: Thaar maar! Emmys for both Bryan Cranston and Giancarlo Esposito please :thumbsup:

the final episode was a face-off literally

P_R
15th October 2011, 11:59 AM
Scarface. Why is this film a cult :roll:
:lol:
pArkkaaamalE enakku pudikkAdhunnu therinju naan choice-la vitta padam.

ajithfederer
16th October 2011, 09:40 AM
Glad to be of help :-P

Cranston - 3 Emmy's already. Yes Need one badly for Esposito. The Terminator kinda walk towards open sniper fire is :smokesmirk: as bad ass as it gets.

Dexter is good. BB is very good. You may try looking into Mad Men but it is devoid of action stuff. So I am not sure of how you may like it. But it's the best drama out there, IMHO. 60's setting in America is rich of cultural/political/sexist stuff. Clearly recommended for film watchers with a sense of realism. Again MM is an AMC Product.

Haven't seen Dexter S6, Ep 1 and 2 either. No clear updates in wiki either when I checked last time also.

P.S: Anybody, Anybody seen Money Ball?..... Azhugipona Thakkali-la nalla persandage pottirundhaanga.

wizzy
16th October 2011, 02:13 PM
about time some one made movie on our math whiz http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article2541084.ece

Aamir rejected this role citing his age :lol: bit skeptical about Siddarth donning the role..Swamigal in his younger days had a uncanny resemblance to Srinivasa Ramanujam..http://mathshands.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/ramanujan.gif http://www.dhool.com/gifs/9913.jpg

Karthik raja will be my pick for the role :-)

raghavendran
16th October 2011, 04:27 PM
saw a few crime/mafia films recently

Tarantino's special
1.Kill Bill Vol 1,2:liked the action sequences...too much blood gore in part one.... had terrific moments through out....."the face to face" episode with Bill at the end was just superb,the highlighting factor of this film for me...
the superman analogue by Bill,the killing of "2",the explanation of how the Black mamba attacks after it bit Budd :lol:...vintage Tarantino stuff...
2.Reservoir Dogs:...loved the climax..comparing to Pulp fiction and KB..this was just average..Mr.Blonde character was :thumbsup:

then saw the Ususal suspects..Keyser Soze..even i got tensed when his name is said in the movie..that was the impact...lovely thriller..one incident..different perceptions..one of my all time favourites..my fav dialogue from the movie...Verbal: "Keaton told me that he doesnt believe in god but he is afraid of him..i believe in god but i am afraid of Keyser Soze"..:clap:..

surely i liked all these movies more than Goodfellas...:neutral:

VENKIRAJA
16th October 2011, 10:57 PM
Watched Despicable Me.
Incredibly funny, in a very simple manner. Made me a kid :cool2:
Never laughes so much in an animation movie.

P.S: Downloaded Cars 2 and Kung Fu Panda 2 bluray rips. Haven't watched Cars 2.

Scarface. Why is this film a cult :roll: Liked Al Pacino though.

:exactly:
idha sonna nammala payithiyakaaran-nu solrainga :mad:

kid-glove
17th October 2011, 12:57 AM
Breaking Bad - Season 1 to 4

Kicks ass & is set for a masterful closure in 5th & final season. IMO, meaningful series should wrap up by 5th unless it takes up Columbo-like 1-half hour procedural mode. With "Mad Men" & now this, AMC have set the bar. Not a sucker for Zombies flick, but might even get around to "Walking Dead".

Btw, I agree with Sid. 'Dexter' has waned out badly. The writing is usually very ordinary. The nemesis for each season seems to be dependant on what guest actor they get. Like, oh wow, we got Lithgow, let's redo his Blowout killer routine. Creepiness comes naturally to him. Oh we got Stiles, let's get some steaming chemistry going. Of course, I undermine greatly (As I think they do get it right in some episodes, some 'whoa' moments.) Take this season, Colin Hanks seems well cast, but the thread seems funny than freaky. The constant parallel(s) get boring after a point. Check out the sister parallel to Deb/Dex. The whole religious aspect is going to uncork a can of worms. All in all, Dexter has has gone progressively worse, as against BB, which has become complex & layered with each episode, nevermind a season. So good in fact that they could have closed with the final exterior shot as the metamorphosis is nearly complete. Of course, both are very different in mood, plot, tone & cinematic treatment, BB is on a different plane (as with all AMC shows)! But the USP of both shows is in its opposite treatment. Without going too much into plausibility route (Which would chalk off Dexter as against elephant memory of BB) Dexter's dark passenger is born out of traumatic childhood episode. And is made into a controlled Frankenstein with Harry's code of law. Much of its charms resides in the lead character's continual self-debate & existential realm (something they bank heavily on Hall's v-o than having to get it out of his face per se). A messed-up animal with disturbing rituals, he might be, but it very heavily puts out the charismatic lead performance to win the audience over. Besides of course the whole vigilante angle of the code. On paper, it's a monster finding his humanity, which is the exact opposite of BB (Mr.Chips to Scarface as they expertly market it), you still don't feel riveted by multiple qualifications wired into our response to sort of get by Dexter. In BB, you have a thoroughly conscientious individual who is finding the monster take over him & who gradually seems to thrive in that amorality. The Life-threatening situation & familial pressures leading to crystal meth seems far more relatable (I'm not going to latch out the dirty word 'realistic'). Each mistake play out dialectically - not entirely predetermined - playing out on various factors. The challenge is surfaced beautifully by Cranston's transformation, matching the highly refined writing. We're now closer to Scarface than Mr.Chips. Hopefully, we won't see the hammy perf. & continually be amazed by textured expression (of fear, desire, emasculation, bravado & vanity) as Cranston only could.

Also, both series ride on evasiveness of the lead character. And both have this aspect cut out for 'em with family dynamic, Debra/Dexter as against Hank/Walter. Neither Hank or Debra seem 'dumb', in fact, it'd be plausible to assume part of their subconscious sort of know it already. It'd be fascinating if they (at this point, Hank more likely than Debra) delibarely let it be. In BB, it pretty much wipes out the Cartel & in-house (Fring) movement in Albuquerque. In Dexter, he wipes out the city clean. So much so that you would assume it's Gotham! Debra as Miami's Gordon. LOL.

Re.BB's season finale. As someone already said, it's literally titled. But we knew that already with the deliberate s-rs pattern of Walter-Gus throughout the series. Both men have a dark half/side, while put out a more dignified, straight face. "Face off" literally tears off both theirs. Gustavo's ugly half is exposed physically, but Walter's is too, with that shot of Lillies.

http://i54.tinypic.com/1zq3rq9.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/3o5zujk

http://i56.tinypic.com/1zxqd94.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/s6hw09.jpg

P.S: Fring's blatantly obvious homosexual relationship & his vengeance sort of all winds down to 'what does a man do?' question posed to Walter. His valiant fight for honor humanizes the monster somewhat. Esposito, the actor, gives a truly controlled performance that deserves Emmy/GG, etc. Also narratively, Cartel Vengeance just took it to a whole new level. But I await what they do with the german conglomerate next season. Also, Walter must have left bread crumbles for Hank to pick on. IF Walter hadn't already got his hands on Fring's personal CC footage. Also, Mike is due return. Pinkman's manipulation without his knowning might be the killer. He might be the one to put Walter out. A closure that matches up to the best of roman mythology. The whole Kafkaesuqe episode isn't just to play out Fring-to-Walter, but as much Walter-to-Jesse, which ultimately reflects back to Fring-Walter parallel. Brilliance. Vince Gilligan :clap:

wizzy
17th October 2011, 11:06 AM
^neenga oru vizhani sir :clap: the final season should have Walt been let loose against Jesse+Mike.. A-Team's handling of Ted was :lol: think it has left enough trails for Hank to nail Walt.

VENKIRAJA
17th October 2011, 11:11 AM
Megamind.
Sumaar. Oru thadava parkalam :)

kid-glove
17th October 2011, 12:08 PM
the final season should have Walt been let loose against Jesse+Mike.. A-Team's handling of Ted was :lol: think it has left enough trails for Hank to nail Walt.

Walt isn't going to be content about the 700k dished out by Skyler (who is now very much an accomplice & accessory after a fact.)

Heisenberg would take over Walter completely.

Mike to work under Walt, unless he's part of German conglomerate. Mike's past is a thing of interest. It's something to be explored on. There's something very Teutonic & covert ops about that man!

kid-glove
17th October 2011, 12:28 PM
Batman: Year One

Faithful adaptation. Only problem might be that the comic's Gotham texture isn't translated fully, has that 'sheen' of 2-D animation, something that the yanks need to learn from anime-manga. Possibly, the most influential book on Nolan & world of Batman, to lay out absolute fundamentals.

Essential viewing to 'get' Gordon-Batman. Very briefly we see Harvey Dent here, but it's much more sensible for Batman to have known him. And to have kept him in the loop. OTOH I felt the triangle in TDK less characteristic of both Dent & Wayne.

Hopefully Nolan wouldn't 'refine' Selina/Catwoman. Sylvia-Selina & child prostitute angle is absolutely essential. And Selina's obsession & opportunism with regards to Batman will have to be translated too.

P.S: Cranston does Gordon's voice.

wizzy
17th October 2011, 01:00 PM
Walt isn't going to be content about the 700k dished out by Skyler (who is now very much an accomplice & accessory after a fact.)

Heisenberg would take over Walter completely.

Mike to work under Walt, unless he's part of German conglomerate. Mike's past is a thing of interest. It's something to be explored on. There's something very Teutonic & covert ops about that man!

wow..just noticed Mike's last name..Ehrmantraut :shock:

kid-glove
17th October 2011, 01:20 PM
Wow. Didn't know that. It's going to be something else! Actually now, the Kafkaesque-ness is gone a notch above. Bring on the krauts!

kid-glove
17th October 2011, 01:24 PM
Btw, (breaking) bad habits don't change. We did see Mike's granddaughter. Walt would do anything now. It's just gone totally balls out. This is really like that dialogue “He has been ten steps ahead of me at every turn,” 'he' being Vince Gilligan!

VENKIRAJA
17th October 2011, 02:21 PM
Batman: Under the Red Hood (Animated series) on HBO.
Was it released directly on DVD? Worth a watch. The typical mystic fragrance of darkness and battle royale.

kid-glove
18th October 2011, 12:49 AM
He just did Gordon's voice in "Year One" but perhaps it's impossible to not think of Cranston doing Joker after this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgZS0l5XGyQ

rajkumarc
18th October 2011, 01:08 AM
The Pledge starring Jack Nicholson, directed by Sean Penn. Nice thriller, heart breaking at times, surprising ending. Jack's acting :notworthy:

KV
18th October 2011, 03:44 PM
An ode to a decaying art:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2011/oct/10/steven-spielberg-martin-scorsese-celluloid (http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2011/oct/10/steven-spielberg-martin-scorsese-celluloid)

kid-glove
18th October 2011, 11:23 PM
Godard very provocative about this! And I love it. Hits right at the elitism (Than totalitarian). I feel 'decaying' is sort of overstating it. It's a matter of preference. Still there are number of filmmakers who stick to 35mm/70mm. Btw, Keanu 'thespian' Reeves makes a fascinating point from acting/character point of view.

Anyways, this is what I think of digital vs film: (in comments, I yAm theDualist)
http://theseventhart.info/2010/08/28/flashback-83/#comment-4264

I'd also add Spielberg would be better served by digital if he sheds his romanticism, quite rudimentary (grain, stutter, etc) that they are*. I could imagine "Murder by the book" in digital, heck, HDTV I say! With those digital lens, he could recreate the same magic. In fact, I see him exploring possibilities of the lateral/frontal closeups, long pan off the window, etc. I'd also argue Television is his medium. Much like JJ Abrams (I finished first 6 episodes of LOST & I already have better impression of the guy).

* - You could love a single negative blown up to the screen. I should be the last to question this indulgence. But film will always be a function of space * time. I'm beginning to get tired of ritualization of what is essentially a mechanical process. An isolated negative in most cases, esp. Spielberg films, often tend to be empty flourishes in itself, unless they start rolling & follow a certain grammar in succession of one another.

VENKIRAJA
19th October 2011, 02:27 PM
Cars 2.
Loved it as much I like Cars!
Cars is the weakest Pixar product? I would say its on the same pedestal as Nemo and Monsters.

littlemaster1982
19th October 2011, 02:55 PM
Did you really like Cars 2 :|

ajaybaskar
19th October 2011, 03:31 PM
Forrest Gump

Although all credit has gone to Hanks, I think the guy who played Lieutenant Dan was equally good.

ajithfederer
19th October 2011, 04:38 PM
Excellent kid-ji. BB deserves more recognition. Glad that more people are watching this show. Walking Dead mosam ellam illa. Even that is good. I've seen season 1. Only 7 episodes. Special mention is the Excellent prosthetic makeup for all zombies in the series.

Breaking Bad - Season 1 to 4

Kicks ass & is set for a masterful closure in 5th & final season. IMO, meaningful series should wrap up by 5th unless it takes up Columbo-like 1-half hour procedural mode. With "Mad Men" & now this, AMC have set the bar. Not a sucker for Zombies flick, but might even get around to "Walking Dead".

Btw, I agree with Sid. 'Dexter' has waned out badly. The writing is usually very ordinary. The nemesis for each season seems to be dependant on what guest actor they get. Like, oh wow, we got Lithgow, let's redo his Blowout killer routine. Creepiness comes naturally to him. Oh we got Stiles, let's get some steaming chemistry going. Of course, I undermine greatly (As I think they do get it right in some episodes, some 'whoa' moments.) Take this season, Colin Hanks seems well cast, but the thread seems funny than freaky. The constant parallel(s) get boring after a point. Check out the sister parallel to Deb/Dex. The whole religious aspect is going to uncork a can of worms. All in all, Dexter has has gone progressively worse, as against BB, which has become complex & layered with each episode, nevermind a season. So good in fact that they could have closed with the final exterior shot as the metamorphosis is nearly complete. Of course, both are very different in mood, plot, tone & cinematic treatment, BB is on a different plane (as with all AMC shows)! But the USP of both shows is in its opposite treatment. Without going too much into plausibility route (Which would chalk off Dexter as against elephant memory of BB) Dexter's dark passenger is born out of traumatic childhood episode. And is made into a controlled Frankenstein with Harry's code of law. Much of its charms resides in the lead character's continual self-debate & existential realm (something they bank heavily on Hall's v-o than having to get it out of his face per se). A messed-up animal with disturbing rituals, he might be, but it very heavily puts out the charismatic lead performance to win the audience over. Besides of course the whole vigilante angle of the code. On paper, it's a monster finding his humanity, which is the exact opposite of BB (Mr.Chips to Scarface as they expertly market it), you still don't feel riveted by multiple qualifications wired into our response to sort of get by Dexter. In BB, you have a thoroughly conscientious individual who is finding the monster take over him & who gradually seems to thrive in that amorality. The Life-threatening situation & familial pressures leading to crystal meth seems far more relatable (I'm not going to latch out the dirty word 'realistic'). Each mistake play out dialectically - not entirely predetermined - playing out on various factors. The challenge is surfaced beautifully by Cranston's transformation, matching the highly refined writing. We're now closer to Scarface than Mr.Chips. Hopefully, we won't see the hammy perf. & continually be amazed by textured expression (of fear, desire, emasculation, bravado & vanity) as Cranston only could.

Also, both series ride on evasiveness of the lead character. And both have this aspect cut out for 'em with family dynamic, Debra/Dexter as against Hank/Walter. Neither Hank or Debra seem 'dumb', in fact, it'd be plausible to assume part of their subconscious sort of know it already. It'd be fascinating if they (at this point, Hank more likely than Debra) delibarely let it be. In BB, it pretty much wipes out the Cartel & in-house (Fring) movement in Albuquerque. In Dexter, he wipes out the city clean. So much so that you would assume it's Gotham! Debra as Miami's Gordon. LOL.

Re.BB's season finale. As someone already said, it's literally titled. But we knew that already with the deliberate s-rs pattern of Walter-Gus throughout the series. Both men have a dark half/side, while put out a more dignified, straight face. "Face off" literally tears off both theirs. Gustavo's ugly half is exposed physically, but Walter's is too, with that shot of Lillies.

http://i54.tinypic.com/1zq3rq9.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/3o5zujk

http://i56.tinypic.com/1zxqd94.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/s6hw09.jpg

P.S: Fring's blatantly obvious homosexual relationship & his vengeance sort of all winds down to 'what does a man do?' question posed to Walter. His valiant fight for honor humanizes the monster somewhat. Esposito, the actor, gives a truly controlled performance that deserves Emmy/GG, etc. Also narratively, Cartel Vengeance just took it to a whole new level. But I await what they do with the german conglomerate next season. Also, Walter must have left bread crumbles for Hank to pick on. IF Walter hadn't already got his hands on Fring's personal CC footage. Also, Mike is due return. Pinkman's manipulation without his knowning might be the killer. He might be the one to put Walter out. A closure that matches up to the best of roman mythology. The whole Kafkaesuqe episode isn't just to play out Fring-to-Walter, but as much Walter-to-Jesse, which ultimately reflects back to Fring-Walter parallel. Brilliance. Vince Gilligan :clap:

kid-glove
19th October 2011, 08:53 PM
Sid said it's alright too. Have to say that I had a poor impression of ABC last year, when I saw their thankless remake of McGoohan's "The Prisoner". Also because they ended the excellent "Rubicon" prematurely. But after seeing MM & BB, can't help but embrace AMC, if they play their cards right, might challenge HBO. Going to download pilots of their other shows. Except "The Killing", in assumption that I've already seen "Twin Peaks" & "Forbrydelsen", & there isn't much new here.

Haven't seen any serious stuff from FX Network, but got around to watch "Louie" after recommended by Jim Emerson (scanners). Have to say it's the most subversive show in television. It's a comedy show. Might please Woody Allen fans here. LouieCK cites WA to be his biggest influence, but this is really a concoction of existentialism, sitcom, docu-drama, & series of gags, in a order that we wouldn't expect but be thoroughly engrossed by.

Meanwhile as "Dexter" quivers in its boots, Showtime might have another contender in "Homeland", but it's at three episodes (All available in torrents).

wizzy
19th October 2011, 09:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiLvZJb7jcg Better call Saul ads

ajithfederer
19th October 2011, 09:15 PM
Oh yeah Saul - Nasty shady lawyer. Aalae summa gummnunnu pudichirukaanga. He played the role very well :thumbsup:

wizzy
19th October 2011, 09:28 PM
^except Skyler ever other role in BrBa is :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

littlemaster1982
19th October 2011, 10:22 PM
Why not a separate thread for TV series? #justsaying

kid-glove
19th October 2011, 10:54 PM
^except Skyler ever other role in BrBa is :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
But isn't the actress the right fit? Playing the bitch-type. Her son calls her exactly that & it came out well. Job well done.

wizzy
19th October 2011, 11:08 PM
But isn't the actress the right fit? Playing the bitch-type. Her son calls her exactly that & it came out well. Job well done.
I expected a bit more bitchiness in line with the role of Faye Dunaway from the movie Network :-D.. Dunaway really did get into viewer's skin in the movie.

Bala (Karthik)
19th October 2011, 11:10 PM
I expected a bit more bitchiness in line with the role of Faye Dunaway from the movie Network :-D.. Dunaway really did get into viewer's skin in the movie.
That was a fantastic performance

kid-glove
19th October 2011, 11:21 PM
But this woman cares for WW in ways a Dunaway-type would not.

Last season was about "Hiesenberg" rubbing off on her too. While she doesn't approve of it, she sort of identifies that there's no point of return. So might as well help WW to secure the family.

Her reactions towards end of 'crawl space' & after that. She's not sure anymore.

Fear taking over love & desire when Walter turns into Heisenberg on phone or in person. When he speaks about being the guy who would 'knock the door' to saying 'I won' in the finale, the actress portrayed complexity really well. Her eyes reflect the sort of density you'd expect from an accomplice to Heisenberg's complete takeover. It had the perplexity of a person not being prepared for it.

wizzy
20th October 2011, 12:05 AM
^She does the compassion/fear part well but struggles to show the required fortitude when dealing with Ted in the 'Salud' episode..the scene called for her to be condescending while she turns out almost remorseful. She doesn't flaunt the required certitude of being a Hiesenberg's accomplice.

kid-glove
20th October 2011, 12:18 AM
^She does the compassion/fear part well but struggles to show the required fortitude when dealing with Ted in the 'Salud' episode..the scene called for her to be condescending while she turns out almost remorseful. She doesn't flaunt the required certitude of being a Hiesenberg's accomplice.

Is Skyler, a right-to-heart moral person, going to behave in that manner? Outrightly? She only ever agrees to sign Ted's documents (That gets her into trouble) coz she gathered that her husband was a crystal meth dealer. :lol: As I said, a lot of it is subconciously rubbed on to her, without knowing the full implications & complications she'd run into. It'd be plain 'bitchy' if he showed these qualities. She only appears to be a 'bitch' (& she is in 'acknowledgment' of that so as to 'save' WW's image among family), but in decisive moments & gestures, she shows the real self. I dig that.

wizzy
20th October 2011, 12:38 AM
Is Skyler, a right-to-heart moral person, going to behave in that manner? Outrightly? She only ever agrees to sign Ted's documents (That gets her into trouble) coz she gathered that her husband was a crystal meth dealer. :lol: As I said, a lot of it is subconciously rubbed on to her, without knowing the full implications & complications she'd run into. It'd be plain 'bitchy' if he showed these qualities. She only appears to be a 'bitch' (& she is in 'acknowledgment' of that so as to 'save' WW's image among family), but in decisive moments & gestures, she shows the real self. I dig that.
imo she doesn't bring out the dichotomy in her character..sample Pinkman in the same 'Salud' episode..his act as a chief cook at the cartel's lab was :thumbsup:

kid-glove
20th October 2011, 12:58 AM
She's not one of the A-game actors, that's for sure.

ajaybaskar
20th October 2011, 10:56 AM
Revisited Snatch

Cousin Avi is the real hero of the movie. :clap:

KV
20th October 2011, 12:21 PM
Godard very provocative about this! And I love it. Hits right at the elitism (Than totalitarian). I feel 'decaying' is sort of overstating it. It's a matter of preference. Still there are number of filmmakers who stick to 35mm/70mm. Btw, Keanu 'thespian' Reeves makes a fascinating point from acting/character point of view.

Anyways, this is what I think of digital vs film: (in comments, I yAm theDualist)
http://theseventhart.info/2010/08/28/flashback-83/#comment-4264

I'd also add Spielberg would be better served by digital if he sheds his romanticism, quite rudimentary (grain, stutter, etc) that they are*. I could imagine "Murder by the book" in digital, heck, HDTV I say! With those digital lens, he could recreate the same magic. In fact, I see him exploring possibilities of the lateral/frontal closeups, long pan off the window, etc. I'd also argue Television is his medium. Much like JJ Abrams (I finished first 6 episodes of LOST & I already have better impression of the guy).

* - You could love a single negative blown up to the screen. I should be the last to question this indulgence. But film will always be a function of space * time. I'm beginning to get tired of ritualization of what is essentially a mechanical process. An isolated negative in most cases, esp. Spielberg films, often tend to be empty flourishes in itself, unless they start rolling & follow a certain grammar in succession of one another.

That most of the old-timers speak with a desolate tone about digitalization of this process, however hackneyed it may sound, is sort of understandable; kinda the old-dog-new-tricks thingy. We hear similar rants in other fields as well, that have seen similar changes with passing of time – still photography, music, painting, to name a few. Film photography, that too in the digital age, is more of an obsessive indulgence, a narcissist, pleasure seeking ritual. It’s difficult to not be smitten in the process of seeing an image taking form on the paper, the mechanicalness of the process notwithstanding, segment after segment, layer after layer, sitting enveloped in darkness, but for a little red bulb in one corner – a selfish pleasure; you’d want to tap yourself on the back for the pride of having achieved something seemingly miraculous, an energy-to-matter conversion of sorts! A wholly romantic, self-pleasuring exercise. :razz:
‘What’s with all the fuss? It’s about the final image at the end of it’ Mr. Practical would say, rather irate. ‘What’s life without love?’ Mr. film photographer would answer! (Krish Ashok calls it ‘Technostalgia (http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/metroplus/article2479194.ece)’). Trying buying a pack of B/W 35mm film in Bangalore and you’d know why I said decaying, it’s bloody extinct I say!

kid-glove
20th October 2011, 12:43 PM
That applies to photography only.

For a filmmaker, it's out of his hands as it's entirely mechanized without his involvement.

Stevie (filmmakers in general) doesn't sit around the dark room for all this. All the indulgence with 8mm negative is done in his pubescent age, nowadays he'd have digital intermediate sitting on editor's room without him noticing.

It might be decaying in retail market & photography, but lot of filmmakers, still vast majority, stick to film. And for them to cut the film, it's already in digital form. So the romanticization seems a bit preposterous.

KV
20th October 2011, 01:59 PM
Of course, I was referring to still photography, cos that's the one I relate to (as a novice hobbyist).
Digital is here to stay, there's no two ways about it. Heck, just the convenience aspect of it outweighs whatever benefit film has to offer. And with continuous advancement it's only going to get better. The days isn't too far when even the filmmakers, who adamantly stand by film now, will decide to use their beloved erstwhile equipments as antique showpieces to decorate their offices and homes.

wizzy
20th October 2011, 02:43 PM
^isn't Midnight in Paris the first ever Woody Allen's movie to go for a digital intermediate?

VENKIRAJA
20th October 2011, 03:50 PM
Did you really like Cars 2 :|
It isn't in the league of Up or Ratatouille. Easily.
Its for kids, their massive merchandise for kids, etc. And, Lasseter's personal ego. Agreed.
Absolutely have no idea why many many people on the web claim it a flop or a bad movie! And, this is what folks at Disney are capable of. I don't think they're gonna ever pass their benchmark Pixar created with the first 9.

They did a very good job with the animation.. I mean showing various parts of the world and everything. McMissile being a Bond Car (Aston Martin reference), too much of yapping from Mater, and Lasseter's self-procalamtion with Lass Tyres, etc. in the scenes and stuff were annoying. But, it was entertaining alright!

Watched several short movies (Bluray/DVD extras)
Toon Mater's Tales. (If you hate Cars 2, try re-watching Cars 2 after watching this 35 minute video). Disgrace to Pixar Studios.
Kung Fu Panda: Secrets of the Furios Five. Dreamworks could have done much better, still worth a watch.
MegaMind: Button of Doom. Quite Silly. Passable.

P.S: Can't we open a seperate thread for TV Shows? Please. A Kind request.

littlemaster1982
20th October 2011, 06:25 PM
They did a very good job with the animation.. I mean showing various parts of the world and everything. McMissile being a Bond Car (Aston Martin reference), too much of yapping from Mater, and Lasseter's self-procalamtion with Lass Tyres, etc. in the scenes and stuff were annoying. But, it was entertaining alright!

They never failed in animation department. But the film is so bland and making Mater as a lead just killed the film. I didn't find the film entertaining at all. Coming from Pixar's stable, that's a massive disappointment.

wizzy
20th October 2011, 06:39 PM
^LM, have you seen Pixar Short Films collection? it chronicles all their work from their inception..ethodo sapan version dvd thaen kidaika matankudhu

littlemaster1982
20th October 2011, 06:45 PM
I don't have the entire collection, but it's on the download queue. What do you mean by Japan version :?

wizzy
20th October 2011, 06:49 PM
seems sapan ver comes with a docu on Pixar

littlemaster1982
20th October 2011, 06:53 PM
You mean this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1059955/). Will try to get it. It's there on youtube too.

wizzy
20th October 2011, 07:02 PM
^same piece..thx..leeching it from torrent :-D

VENKIRAJA
20th October 2011, 08:26 PM
Naan dhaan solrene, After watching Toon Mater's Tales (40 minutes of non-stop South US accented Mater yapping) Cars-2 felt blissful. McMissile's opening stunt sequence is the best action sequence from Pixar.

LM, I have the complete collection in 720p including The Pixar Story.
We must trade movies one day.
Adhukkaga engayachum meet podanum :mrgreen:

kid-glove
20th October 2011, 08:38 PM
^isn't Midnight in Paris the first ever Woody Allen's movie to go for a digital intermediate?

DI-ing is very common (very few exceptions, like TWBB & Ingloriuous Basterds, latter esp. completely photochemical.)

Re. WA, I'm assuming Maria Elena recommendation of lab-printed photography over digital to Cristina meant something. :)

littlemaster1982
20th October 2011, 08:45 PM
McMissile's opening stunt sequence is the best action sequence from Pixar.

Not sure about the best of Pixar. It was better than many Bond film openings 8-)

LM, I have the complete collection in 720p including The Pixar Story.
We must trade movies one day.
Adhukkaga engayachum meet podanum :mrgreen:

Soor :thumbsup:

wizzy
21st October 2011, 12:06 AM
@k-g purely on the ease of use imo the actor-directors if and when they get a chance should be migrating to digital..they should be welcoming the luxury of not acting between reloads or always be aware of whether the camera is running or not..

kid-glove
21st October 2011, 12:43 AM
Absolutely.

But I could accept when it's used to make TWBB and IB. The former is a classical form of narrative storytelling with every grain of the landscape captured in all its texture by the film form & the latter, the 35mm reel is the means of 'wish fulfillment' for the filmmaker (& Shoshanna) for all practical & narrative purposes (killing Hitler, their shared ideal)!

I'd like to see filmmakers justify the form. When Lynch does 'Inland Empire', it's like the digital form governs its whole conception!

VENKIRAJA
21st October 2011, 03:26 PM
So far, I've watched a few Dreamworks flicks:
MegaMind
Despicable Me
Bee Movie
How to train your Dragon
Kung Fu Panda I & II
Wallace & Gromit: In search of the were Rabbit
Horton hears a who
Madagascar I & II
Rio
Bolt (Wait.. Is it Disney?)

Any more that is worth watching? (Any other Animation studios? Except Disney and Pixar of course)

littlemaster1982
21st October 2011, 03:34 PM
Bolt is from Disney. Rio is a 20th Century Fox release. Check Ice Age movies too.

VENKIRAJA
21st October 2011, 11:11 PM
Bolt is from Disney. Rio is a 20th Century Fox release. Check Ice Age movies too.
Didn't know Ice Age was from DW. I thought it was Disney's. Trilogy paarthachu :wink:

littlemaster1982
21st October 2011, 11:47 PM
Didn't know Ice Age was from DW. I thought it was Disney's. Trilogy paarthachu :wink:

No, Ice Age is from 20th Century Fox too. In fact it's just released by them. Produced by Blue Sky studios. Their recent film is Rio.

VENKIRAJA
22nd October 2011, 04:56 PM
Watched Rango - Animation was brilliant. Better than even KFP, not sure how 3D worked for people. KFP2 beats 3D visualization in any movie made thus dar.Western :\ Didn't like the idea. Was a lot boring than I expected!

littlemaster1982
22nd October 2011, 08:02 PM
I stopped watching Rango midway. Bayangara kadiya irundhudhu :|

VENKIRAJA
22nd October 2011, 08:12 PM
I stopped watching Rango midway. Bayangara kadiya irundhudhu :|
Attention to detail (Only in PQ and Level of Image Rendering) was amazing. Never seen any gourgeous-er movie than this one. Makkal Definte Oscar contender-nraainga :rant: Wish some East Asian flick steals the show.

Watched Coraline. Creepy stuff. Strictly for <13 year olds. Expected it when I used to follow movies during 2009.. Trailer-watching and all. Good, that I didn't waste money in the theatres.

groucho070
24th October 2011, 07:17 AM
Two (totally different) animations. Saturday night, vopened the bottle when the first one started.

Batman: Year One
Told kid that I'd do a marathon on all Batman movies and animations I have on Deepavali day. But couldn't wait for this one.Thanks to Nolan/Oldman, looks like there is lot more interest in Gordon's character. Here's it's a tale of two heroes, Batman and Gordon (which should have been the title) when the latter was still a Lieutenant. Verdict: Fantastic! It's up there with some of the finest animation especially the Kevin Conroy ones (ithula voice artist is different, but you will not be distracted).

Cars 2

Well let's say as this one progressed my interest regressed (remember I opened the bottle slightly more than an hour ago), so I am to be blamed for not really into it. I liked Michael Caine's involvement, and that's about it.

venkkiram
24th October 2011, 07:48 AM
The Italian Job.

இதுக்கு The Bank Job எவ்வளவோ பரவாயில்லை. இங்கிலாந்தில் பட்டைய கெளப்பிய Jason Statham-ஐ இத்தாலியில் சரியாக பயன்படுத்த தவறிவிட்டார்கள். ஆனாலும் தொழில் நுட்பம் மனதை ஈர்த்தது. குறிப்பாக ஆரம்பக் காட்சிகளில் தண்ணீரில் மிதக்கும் நகரமான வெனிஸில் நடக்கும் படகுகளின் துரத்தல், இறுதிக்காட்சியில் காரோடு சரிக்கு சரியாக எதிர்த்து நிற்கும் ஹெலிகாப்டர் காட்சி. அதுவும் எந்தவித கிராஃபிக்ஸ் துணையில்லாமல் ஹெலிகாப்டரை ஒரு கட்டிட வளாகத்தில் ஓட்டி நிறுத்தும் லாவகம். அழகு.

groucho070
24th October 2011, 08:20 AM
Venkirram, watch the original with Michael Caine, it's far more entertaining and funny. And considering it was the late 60s, you'd appreciate the car stunts a lot more.

kid-glove
24th October 2011, 11:45 AM
Actually Nolan himself was inspired by 'Year One', it's the best batman comic and most essential.

groucho070
25th October 2011, 08:55 AM
Thought so, this is a useful companion piece to Batman Begins. The ending is the same (Evano oruttar Joker-Am scene).

kid-glove
25th October 2011, 01:02 PM
Batman Begins also rips off the main set-piece.

groucho070
28th October 2011, 10:50 AM
Dinocroc vs. Supergator.

Well, it was supposed to be some betting game between me and wife. We predict who's gonna get eaten next, dude or gal? Then, make bets, twenty bucks mostly. But the awfulness was colossal that we called off the game. Damn.

Dinesh84
28th October 2011, 01:27 PM
Horrible Bosses :rotfl2: thoroughly enjoyable
Charlie Day :bow: and :clap: to Aniston, Farrell, Bateman and Spacey

Benny Lava
28th October 2011, 06:14 PM
Dinocroc vs. Supergator.

Well, it was supposed to be some betting game between me and wife. We predict who's gonna get eaten next, dude or gal? Then, make bets, twenty bucks mostly. But the awfulness was colossal that we called off the game. Damn.

Haha! I watched one such movie with my friends.. The title was something like Mega shark vs Giant octopus, very funny! Want to watch more such films :P

littlemaster1982
28th October 2011, 11:07 PM
Horrible Bosses :rotfl2: thoroughly enjoyable
Charlie Day :bow: and :clap: to Aniston, Farrell, Bateman and Spacey

Just saw this. Damn funny :rotfl2:

wizzy
29th October 2011, 12:46 PM
^Hangoveroda Hangover :-D..Jennifer Aniston :frightened:

littlemaster1982
29th October 2011, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I felt the similarity with Hangover in few places. Unlike Hangover, this is just a one time watch.

ajaybaskar
29th October 2011, 01:57 PM
Master,

Nalla print vandhurucha?

littlemaster1982
29th October 2011, 02:35 PM
Yes. BRRip is out.

Roshan
29th October 2011, 11:35 PM
The Social Network :clap: :clap:

Nice flick. Great performances by almost every one. Jesse Eisenberg who did the role of Mark Zuckerberg was just excellent :thumbsup: Andrew Garfield was also great as Eduardo Saverin. Noteworthy editing and BGM was great too.

PS: Facebook'ku pinnaadi ippadi oru history irukkunnu padam paathathukku appuramthaan therinjuthu. Did some googling to learn more about the history.

littlemaster1982
31st October 2011, 09:24 AM
Duel :clap: Speilberg :notworthy:

kid-glove
31st October 2011, 01:17 PM
He was 24 when he shot it. 23 when he shot 'Murder by the book'. 27 when he made 'Sugarland Express'. 28 for 'Jaws'. I share a weakness for all four films..

Roshan
31st October 2011, 01:52 PM
Revisited some parts of 'The Social Network'. This time I was very impressed with the way they have done the duel role Winklevoss Brothers. Technically so perfect. Dialogues :thumbsup:

Jesse Eisenberg :bow: What a natural ya !! :2thumbsup:

littlemaster1982
31st October 2011, 02:40 PM
He was 24 when he shot it. 23 when he shot 'Murder by the book'. 27 when he made 'Sugarland Express'. 28 for 'Jaws'. I share a weakness for all four films..

I was amazed at the control he had over the film. It's not easy to hold the viewer's attention for 90 mins with just a car and a truck in a highway :notworthy:

kid-glove
31st October 2011, 04:31 PM
Absolutely, a near silent film shows real strengths of the filmmaker.

Bing
1st November 2011, 08:26 PM
Inception..

I dont know for the nth time I think (Thanks to Sky movies)..

So Cobb asks Ariadne to draw a puzzle for about two minutes for a challenge of solving it in one minute.. She fails twice after having drawn the puzzle on the ruled note book. She then uses the back cover (without the ruler) of the notebook to draw the puzzle (round ones) which eventually Cobb fails to solve.. Nice one Mr. Nolan

2nd level dream - when there is no gravity, Arthur opens up the hotel room and finds everyone in the room including the phones are floating.. Automated message are being heard from the phone saying "please hang up" - Another nice one.. but I am just thinking whether he did a bit too much in this scene as phones normally dont go to speaker mode when they are not hung up?

ajithfederer
2nd November 2011, 09:40 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/11/06/arts/06JPLEONARDO2/06JPLEONARDO2-popup.jpg

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/misc/pixel.gif

Obviously there’s a love story here,” Mr. Eastwood said. “Whether it is a gay love story or something else — well, the audience can interpret it. My intention was to show two men who really love each other, and beyond that it’s none of my business.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/movies/leonardo-dicaprio-in-clint-eastwoods-j-edgar.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&hp

ajithfederer
2nd November 2011, 09:46 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/27/j-edgar-stills-leonardo-dicaprio_n_1034732.html#s437030

Great pics 8-). Eastwood, Dicaprio and Naomi Watts. :clap: Eagerly awaiting/

ajithfederer
2nd November 2011, 10:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD99zwj-ZUg

Hell Yeah. Didn't knew that the trailer was out already.

VENKIRAJA
3rd November 2011, 11:15 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/27/j-edgar-stills-leonardo-dicaprio_n_1034732.html#s437030

:yes:
Hope they handled the chemistry with Armie Hammer, yes the Winklevii twin Roshan mentions. :banghead: Know what I mean :p

kid-glove
4th November 2011, 12:04 AM
What's wrong with Armie Hammer'ma?

Arvind Srinivasan
4th November 2011, 10:41 AM
Just happened to watch 'Midnight in Paris' after some amount of deliberation. I found the movie to be pretty good. Its been a while since i had ventured into seeing satirical comedies and this movie just fits the bill. From Owen wilson to Marrion cotilard every performance seemed to be perfect. Especially that of Owen's. He brings forth some depth to a practiclally implausible role. If this movie seemed half as believable to me it was because of owen's performance. Not wanting to shell out the story of this flick (not that its a suspense thriller), I would say that this movie is worth your time. Just hope woody allen delivers more such films.......

groucho070
4th November 2011, 11:36 AM

Great pics 8-). Eastwood, Dicaprio and Naomi Watts. :clap: Eagerly awaiting/Non-Eastwood starring, but Eastwood directed, usually I am not eager. But the political content of this film...yummm....

Arvind Srinivasan
4th November 2011, 12:15 PM
Non-Eastwood starring, but Eastwood directed, usually I am not eager. But the political content of this film...yummm....

Definite must watch for me. Eastwood, dicaprio, naomi watts...all these serve up for a great movie

groucho070
4th November 2011, 12:36 PM
Continuing with the stupid titles

Skyfall (http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/james-bond-film-officially-called-skyfall-star-daniel-craig-007-javier-barden-villain-article-1.971658)

Can we keep Craig, and get rid of everyone else and give the franchise to really, really capable hand. Please!!!!

ajaybaskar
4th November 2011, 12:41 PM
Horrible Bosses

Hilarious. Loved Aniston's role. :-)

kid-glove
4th November 2011, 12:50 PM
Non-Eastwood starring, but Eastwood directed, usually I am not eager. But the political content of this film...yummm....
Yeah. He's good at this. The trailer looks okay. Eastwood would do justice to different periods.
Milk scriptwriter vera, he'd not tone down the Hoover-Tolson relationship.

Only problem. Hoover oru kEpmari. DiC ala suggest mudiyumma? Avaru over emotional-aana, work out aaguma?

kid-glove
4th November 2011, 12:57 PM
http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/194904/slide_194904_437039_large.jpg

More like this please.

I'm also waiting for a Screener of another political film, 'Ides of March'. Though I'm wary of Clooney's modus operandi.

groucho070
4th November 2011, 01:00 PM
Yeah, Clooney all-out Democrat. But nallA pannuvAr. No doubt.

ajithfederer
4th November 2011, 05:45 PM
Thanks for uploading this. Attagasamaana pick 8-).

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/194904/slide_194904_437039_large.jpg

More like this please.

I'm also waiting for a Screener of another political film, 'Ides of March'. Though I'm wary of Clooney's modus operandi.

wizzy
4th November 2011, 06:34 PM
^edho koraiyudhey :roll:

Benny Lava
4th November 2011, 08:16 PM

So Naomi watts is the second guy?

ajithfederer
4th November 2011, 08:25 PM
Not sure if you are serious but Naomi Watts is a lady.

wizzy
4th November 2011, 08:38 PM
kudi,beedi,lady adhudhanda un daddy understand :rotfl:

Benny Lava
4th November 2011, 09:47 PM
Not sure if you are serious but Naomi Watts is a lady. Hehe, I wasn't :P

AravindMano
6th November 2011, 07:35 AM
Ides Of March. Boring, predictable (and so pointless). Absolutely no tension in the film to keep you watching. The main conflict has no solid weight to it and so the film sinks. Lousy and convenient writing. Neat film making with a couple of good performances (Paul Giamatti & Philip Hoffman).

Gosling should do two indie films to compensate, I say.

AravindMano
6th November 2011, 07:35 AM
Anybody seen 'Take Shelter'? Sounds mighty good.

kid-glove
6th November 2011, 10:07 AM
Ides Of March. Boring, predictable (and so pointless). Absolutely no tension in the film to keep you watching. The main conflict has no solid weight to it and so the film sinks. Lousy and convenient writing. Neat film making with a couple of good performances (Paul Giamatti & Philip Hoffman).

Gosling should do two indie films to compensate, I say.

That's sad. Was looking ofrward to it.

Even DRIVE wasn't all that. Couple of setbacks for the man..

Saai
6th November 2011, 10:25 AM
Everybody's fine [Hollywood version]

Liked it!!!... Deniro and Drew barrymore were :thumbsup:

Bala (Karthik)
6th November 2011, 12:32 PM
Solyaris - Gave up half-way. Purila. :oops:

P_R
6th November 2011, 01:06 PM
:lol:
idhukkaga dhaan English paper padikkaadhEnnu en poNNu padichchu padichchu solrA

kid-glove
6th November 2011, 01:24 PM
That dream sequence with the kids on table, but speaking for their adult versions, and when he learns that his son is dead - Deniro's performance is commendable (much like 'City by the Sea'). Not making it schmaltzy. Even if the film is one big bag of tissues.

Deniro's look as he sees one of the dead son's paintings. The wires. The look as seems to have got the 'connection', the film is really about 'lack of'. No dialogues spoken. Just letting the master do his thing, without bringing much attention. That's the character, not one of his acting ticks. Apart from Jack Nicholson, we don't get such moments from 70's greats these days. Nice to see Deniro back to form here. Pacino, from days of 'Scarecrow' and DDA, lags behind both in that respect.

kid-glove
6th November 2011, 01:36 PM
Solyaris - Gave up half-way. Purila. :oops:
Give it a try another time.

Zizek on Solyaris in A Pervert's Guide, makes me want to watch it again.

Concepts and characters in LOST (TV Series) is derived from Solyaris.

Saai
6th November 2011, 01:48 PM
That dream sequence with the kids on table, but speaking for their adult versions, and when he learns that his son is dead - Deniro's performance is commendable (much like 'City by the Sea'). Not making it schmaltzy. Even if the film is one big bag of tissues.

Deniro's look as he sees one of the dead son's paintings. The wires. The look as seems to have got the 'connection', the film is really about 'lack of'. No dialogues spoken. Just letting the master do his thing, without bringing much attention. That's the character, not one of his acting ticks. Apart from Jack Nicholson, we don't get such moments from 70's greats these days. Nice to see Deniro back to form here. Pacino, from days of 'Scarecrow' and DDA, lags behind both in that respect.

Also the portions where deniro sees the kids in his adult children, especially when he looks at his "Drummer" son as a kid from the doorway, smiles himself and walks away .. bobby :notworthy:

A warm performance...his eyes speaks a lot!

ajithfederer
6th November 2011, 02:00 PM
Nalla feel good padam-nga. :thumbsup:.

Liked it!!!... Deniro and Drew barrymore were :thumbsup:

AravindMano
6th November 2011, 05:48 PM
That's sad. Was looking ofrward to it.

Even DRIVE wasn't all that. Couple of setbacks for the man..

Yeah. Adding 'Crazy Stupid Love' to the list, a bad year indeed.

ajithfederer
6th November 2011, 07:37 PM
Sir ninga Moneyball paatheilaa. Movie nanna irukka illa dobbindha?. Next week eppadiyavadhu Edgar J paathundu ezhundungoo.

AravindMano
7th November 2011, 07:44 PM
saar, innum illai. pAththavangaLum periya nalla impression kudukkalai.

adhu enna saar "dobbindha?" "edgar" na?

AravindMano
7th November 2011, 07:45 PM
sorry saar, cross talk paNNittanO? vERa yArtayO pesaReengaLaa

kid-glove
7th November 2011, 08:08 PM
He's referring to Clint Eastwood film, Edgar J.

Dobbinda - I think he meant Gobbinda..

ajithfederer
7th November 2011, 08:30 PM
Dobbindha (Telugu) - padam pocha, puttukucha estra estra ....

AravindMano
7th November 2011, 08:56 PM
oh oh... appadi..

Edgar releasing this Friday..

Bing
7th November 2011, 09:21 PM
Unstoppable - Denzie, da man.. The picturization of the school kids boarding the train reminds me of ship boarding sequence in De ja vu. Not sure why Denzie has to choose a back to back train sequence movie but worth a watch.. Speaking of which Taking of Pelham 123 :notworthy:

Sid_316
8th November 2011, 01:06 PM
Horrible Bosses - Not bad :)

Sid_316
12th November 2011, 03:56 PM
The Adventures of Tintin - :thumbsup: Liked it :) visually very good (Especially the long action scenes) All of them were characterized well. Right from Tintin,snowy,captain even bianca castafiore :lol:. Should watch in 2d again

VENKIRAJA
12th November 2011, 04:02 PM
The Pixar Story.
Highly impressive. Neatly documented. My love for their work has grown exponentially, especially Lasseter.

kubrick
14th November 2011, 11:30 AM
Immortals- This movie made no sense at all. The story was bland, acting was nothing mentionable, action scenes too weren't that great. The best shots of the film were shown in the trailer itself. After The Fall I was expecting a lot from this movie as it is from Tarsem Singh but was severely disappointed. Easily skippable.

kid-glove
14th November 2011, 12:21 PM
I want to see it for Tarsem. Sid tells me that Mickey rourke performance is well received.

kubrick
14th November 2011, 03:06 PM
Yeah man even I watched it for Tarsem Singh. I actually don't mind mind-less flicks but they should at least be engaging. This one was a big drag. But opinions differ, I dint see anything extraordinary or stunning. Could be me for all you know.

VENKIRAJA
14th November 2011, 04:10 PM
Ip Man I & II.
Neat stunts. Lead performance was very well done. Music was apt.
One key kung fu showoff in each movie was amazing!
2nd volume was more like Rocky 4, The first part was genuinely good Chinese masala.

littlemaster1982
14th November 2011, 10:00 PM
Nordwand (North Face) - Story of two German climbers trying to scale a tough mountain. Bone chilling stuff :thumbsup:

Querida
15th November 2011, 12:50 AM
50/50 depressing...very...but tries it's best to be realistic and hopeful...overall glad i watched it.

groucho070
15th November 2011, 06:57 AM
The Invention of Lying

Supposed to be interesting concept for satire. But petered out somewhere. Quite uninteresting second half onwards.

AravindMano
15th November 2011, 09:19 AM
"The Circle". Terrific. Taut, superbly performed and flawlessly directed. Easily, the best of what I have seen from him. (The Mirror had a terrific conceit and just that. Offside was nice, but the intensity of this film is supreme).

Is he still in prison? In that case, orE the #meta.

V_S
15th November 2011, 08:49 PM
The Adventures of Tintin - :thumbsup: Liked it :) visually very good (Especially the long action scenes) All of them were characterized well. Right from Tintin,snowy,captain even bianca castafiore :lol:. Should watch in 2d again
Wow! Thanks Sid for the note. Can't wait to see this movie. Very excited to see it. Not sure, why they didn't release everywhere at the same time. Yesterday, happened to watch glimpses of it in Jaya TV 'Madan Talkies'. Should be a masterpiece from Spielberg and Peter Jackson.

ajithfederer
15th November 2011, 09:09 PM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/j_edgar/

Has obtained a lowly 41%. While many praise dicaprio's performance the feeling is that something's amiss.

littlemaster1982
15th November 2011, 09:09 PM
Tintin has been getting good reviews all around. I haven't read Tintin, so not sure if I would enjoy it :? Will wait for DVD anyway.

V_S
15th November 2011, 09:57 PM
LM,
I too read some of TinTin comics during my school days, but don't remember anything now. I happened to visit this site recently and downloading all the TinTin comics and reading when time permits. In case you are interested, please visit this site: http://tintincomicsfreedownload.blogspot.com/
It seems this film is based on three TinTin comic books: The Crab with the Golden Claws (1941), The Secret of the Unicorn (1943) and Red Rackham's Treasure (1944). Reading these three first. Great quality time.

abhi_d
15th November 2011, 10:05 PM
Immortals- This movie made no sense at all. The story was bland, acting was nothing mentionable, action scenes too weren't that great. The best shots of the film were shown in the trailer itself. After The Fall I was expecting a lot from this movie as it is from Tarsem Singh but was severely disappointed. Easily skippable.

I too agree with you. Huge disappointment. Plot is really weak and doesn't make sense at all. Gods coming to earth to save the mankind is not new but Gods hand, leg, head, etc getting chopped looked rubbish. What god did finally to end the fight he could have done it earlier so that he could have avoided many humans killed.

Immortals - Utterly Rubbish Movie.

wizzy
15th November 2011, 10:10 PM

doesn't Captain Haddock resemble Spielberg? :-D

Sid_316
15th November 2011, 10:23 PM
Wow! Thanks Sid for the note. Can't wait to see this movie. Very excited to see it. Not sure, why they didn't release everywhere at the same time. Yesterday, happened to watch glimpses of it in Jaya TV 'Madan Talkies'. Should be a masterpiece from Spielberg and Peter Jackson.

Some experimentation to test am.. modhala UK then india dont know on what basis..

Sid_316
15th November 2011, 10:24 PM
doesn't Captain Haddock resemble Spielberg? :-D

Lol.. maybe.. but the attitude/personality is totally different

kubrick
16th November 2011, 01:36 AM
LM,
I too read some of TinTin comics during my school days, but don't remember anything now. I happened to visit this site recently and downloading all the TinTin comics and reading when time permits. In case you are interested, please visit this site: http://tintincomicsfreedownload.blogspot.com/
It seems this film is based on three TinTin comic books: The Crab with the Golden Claws (1941), The Secret of the Unicorn (1943) and Red Rackham's Treasure (1944). Reading these three first. Great quality time.

Thanks a lot for the link.

kid-glove
16th November 2011, 01:50 AM
Tintin is like young Spielberg. A wonderkid, bit of a genius. A maverick who crosses seas, takes part in many adventures (from Jaws to Indy Jones to Jurrasic Park to what not). Who dearly Wants that Paternal figure (like Sam Neil in Dinosaur films, Kids in ET turning the father/parental figures, Truffaut in Close Encounters, Schindler in SL, Sean Connery in Indy Jones, etc) in Haddock to get it done.

Overall, a densely packed Adventure. A lot of shuffling & reshuffling had been done. They've merged some plot points & characters from other books. They omit the Island adventure/treasure hunt & offer an immediate payoff for the audience, that they immediately get to Marlinspike Hall & now apparently there's more treasure in the Island. Which is unmindful of the fact that they juiced out the payoff of that plot (where we could have seen Submarines & Sharks, and my favorite Professor Calculus! Stuff that good Ol' Steve might feast upon)

Herge might be turning in the grave. But he could at least cherish the fact that Spielberg stretches the full potential of the transitions (from one Haddock to another), flourishes & vistas. Certain set-pieces have a stench of Indy Jones. They've tried to do as much justice as they could to Snowy. Haddock is lot more affable here. As a kid, we were fascinated in a distant way by the alcohol, temper, & irreverence of the man in the comic book. And especially how he's profiled & presented by Herge. He smiles a lot more here. And it's a lot less blistering, with warmth!

Love the opening credits (meaning to open a thread on this), made me wish for "Catch me If you can" in 3-D. Why not? In the end, there's a happy family reunion of Haddock, Nestor, Tintin & Snowy. Haddock puts on his hat. We don't need the credits roll his name, it's Spielberg with bulb-lit 'I'.

kid-glove
16th November 2011, 01:56 AM
Not totally unmindful of Saul Bass' with regards to Opening credits of this sort.

Sid_316
16th November 2011, 02:03 AM
Tintin is like young Spielberg. A wonderkid, bit of a genius. A maverick who crosses seas, takes part in many adventures (from Jaws to Indy Jones to Jurrasic Park to what not). Who dearly Wants that Paternal figure (like Sam Neil in Dinosaur films, Kids in ET turning the father/parental figures, Truffaut in Close Encounters, Schindler in SL, Sean Connery in Indy Jones, etc) in Haddock to get it done.

Overall, a densely packed Adventure. A lot of shuffling & reshuffling had been done. They've merged some plot points & characters from other books. They omit the Island adventure/treasure hunt & offer an immediate payoff for the audience, that they immediately get to Marlinspike Hall & now apparently there's more treasure in the Island. Which is unmindful of the fact that they juiced out the payoff of that plot (where we could have seen Submarines & Sharks, and my favorite Professor Calculus! Stuff that good Ol' Steve might feast upon)

Herge might be turning in the grave. But he could at least cherish the fact that Spielberg stretches the full potential of the transitions (from one Haddock to another), flourishes & vistas. Certain set-pieces have a stench of Indy Jones. They've tried to do as much justice as they could to Snowy. Haddock is lot more affable here. As a kid, we were fascinated in a distant way by the alcohol, temper, & irreverence of the man in the comic book. And especially how he's profiled & presented by Herge. He smiles a lot more here. And it's a lot less blistering, with warmth!

Love the opening credits (meaning to open a thread on this), made me wish for "Catch me If you can" in 3-D. Why not? In the end, there's a happy family reunion of Haddock, Nestor, Tintin & Snowy. Haddock puts on his hat. We don't need the credits roll his name, it's Spielberg with bulb-lit 'I'.

:thumbsup: YEah the meeting of tintin and haddock originally happens in the crab with the golden claws and its merged here or is there something else u meant?also they changed the timelines of particular events and lot of modifications in the scenes and how it happens in a good way too :) and i loved the title credits too.There will defn be sequels to this and calculus lam kandipa varuvainga.. Venki says he didnt like the film at all.. He hasn't read the comics so as a film he said its not worth it.

Regarding captain haddock, Yes except the cursing and more veri thanam the film had a lot of "haddock" moments especially that bianca castafiore singing scene.. captain and snowy in that scene :rotfl:

kid-glove
16th November 2011, 02:24 AM
Yeah that's what I meant by 'merging'. And yeah, that's what I meant by shuffling & reshuffling.

And of course, events happen in different locations as well. Haddock narrates this in his flat & they already know each other. And Herge makes use of brilliant match cutting & dissolving. Even the animated tv/cartoon series (which had a brilliant opening credit but mediocre otherwise) stayed faithful to it. Trying to reproduce it shot by shot. But Spielberg & the bunch of scriptwriters decide to introduce Haddock to Tintin, so that the uninitiated audience (along with Tintin) meet characters as the narrative unfolds. Except for T & T of course. And all of it would make sense at plot level. And they take off this meeting in the ship & then fly off to the desert, in a manner they find both visually as well narratively interesting. Similarly that gig with Bianca Castofiora could happen in a Tintin universe, even if it didn't happen in that particular comic. EllamE justified-a thaan irundhadhu. It's not that you need to know a bit of Tintin universe, a lot of folks seemed to enjoy it.

V_S
16th November 2011, 03:22 AM
Excellent and thank you k_g :clap: Thanks k_g and Sid for wonderful insights. Gives a good summary how it compares/deviates with the original comic. Oh yeah, now I remember Prof. Calculus! So he is not in this one? I too believe there will be sequels coming after this. How does John Williams scores here? Would love to see a separate thread on this.

kid-glove
16th November 2011, 03:32 AM
Williams' score is immersive, doesn't call out for attention. Wonderful work by the master.

Love the opening when Tintin poses for a painting & his drawing is the comic Tintin. Ha ha. Jamie Bell :clap: Neraiya edathulla avaroda shades theriyudhu.

OTOH, didn't see much of Daniel Craig in RR or Sakharine. Or Andy Serkis, Pegg, Frost. Facial gestures get a little dodged by the facial hair, I suppose. That's the only explanation I could think of.

V_S
16th November 2011, 05:05 AM
Thanks k_g. :smile: Atleast from the image clips here (http://www.us.movie.tintin.com/#/castcrew), I found hard to get the actual person, especially Pegg and Frost (Thomson twins). Jim Carey was excellently done in Christmas Carol, likewise Tom Hanks in Polar Express.

littlemaster1982
16th November 2011, 09:23 AM
LM,

:ty: very much :D Will check out.

ajaybaskar
16th November 2011, 11:44 AM
Williams' score is immersive, doesn't call out for attention. Wonderful work by the master.

+1 :-)

Sid_316
17th November 2011, 12:05 AM
Chennai makkale PVR la tommorow Taxi Driver special show :notworthy:

kid-glove
17th November 2011, 12:13 AM
Oppice timings. :(

wizzy
17th November 2011, 10:15 AM
@sid any film festival on? ella sathyam mathiri blind date samacharama??

Sid_316
17th November 2011, 01:17 PM
@sid any film festival on? ella sathyam mathiri blind date samacharama??

Not a festival.. like every 2 weeks or something they screen a classic..

P_R
17th November 2011, 01:29 PM
Have read all except 'Land of the Soviets' and 'Tintin in Congo'.
Even the faithful animations lacked the magic for me. So I am not sure I will like the film. I hated the Asterix films I saw.
TV-la varumbOdhu paathukkalaam.

Does this one end with Secret of the Unicorn or they finish Red Rackham's treasure also? (one helluva ride that is).

I hear the next fliyum is Seven Crystal Balls - Prisoner's of the Sun : that is likely to be interesting in film. Lots of janaranjaga adventure scope.

Bala (Karthik)
17th November 2011, 01:38 PM
Have read all except one (I don't remember which one. In fact, i remember almost nothing even from the ones i read :oops: )

Kandippa film experience will not be > experience reading, irundhaalum paakkalaam, thappilla

P_R
17th November 2011, 01:54 PM
I have read all which were in the back of the tintin books
Lake of Sharks (IIRC not written/illustrated by Herge) was first an animated film and then released as a book - I have not read that.

Soviets and Congo were then not available in India. ippo decentA dhaan vandhirukku. padikkaNum.

groucho070
17th November 2011, 01:58 PM
Tintin books never quite caught on here (check grammar please). Don't think I'd enjoy the movie, or is that an advantage?

kid-glove
17th November 2011, 02:12 PM
As I said, they bypass Red Rackham's treasure & cut short to hall. But in the end, Tintin reassures Haddock that they might find more in that island. Don't think they'd make it as another film. On outset, it might be a wild-goose chase, but it's much more than that. It's meant to be a journey where they put themselves in Sir Francis shoes. And Calculus would be able to trace the documents back to the Hall. Tintin would have been kidnapped in Red Unicorn & discovers the cellar then. But it's put to use in the next novel. The cyclical end & complexity of the journey is its specialty.

But here, it seems like they wanted to provide a payoff for the audience. And since they have this descendant rivalry. Sakharine vs Haddock as RR v/s Sir Francis Haddock. there's also a crane fight like a sword fight. The kind of thing that Herge would resist deeply. But it's just how Spielberg envisages I suppose. You need to take some distance from the exact specifics, but you could easily digest within confines of a Tintin Universe. Once again, Spielberg identifies with the more patriarchal figure, Haddock. So he gives that man a sense of purpose, "Only a Haddock" it's said.

Sid, Could you find out if they'd play Taxi Driver again?

P_R
17th November 2011, 02:23 PM
Oh ok.

The scene in the book where Captain Haddock is narrating Sir. Francis's swordfight and takes a swig every now and then is :lol:
At one point Tintin completes his sentence "..and then Sir. Francis says now is not the time" and leads Captain back to veeram :lol:

Captain jumping in for Jamaican rum without wearing his headpiece and then clambeing on to the ship with "those bashi bazouks forgot to pump again" :rotfl:

Calculus hat flying as he sees the 'writing on the wall' : we are NOT interested in your machine :lol:

Captain: where is the whiskey?
Calculus: on the ship of course
Captain: thank heavens
Calculus: naturally it is in parts
*Captain shakes Calculus* :lol:

I thought stuff like that would be there :-(

Sid_316
17th November 2011, 02:29 PM
KG,

Sure will be goin today i guess..will check with them

Sid_316
17th November 2011, 02:30 PM
Oh ok.

The scene in the book where Captain Haddock is narrating Sir. Francis's swordfight and takes a swig every now and then is :lol:
At one point Tintin completes his sentence "..and then Sir. Francis says now is not the time" and leads Captain back to veeram :lol:

Captain jumping in for Jamaican rum without wearing his headpiece and then clambeing on to the ship with "those bashi bazouks forgot to pump again" :rotfl:

Calculus hat flying as he sees the 'writing on the wall' : we are NOT interested in your machine :lol:

Captain: where is the whiskey?
Calculus: on the ship of course
Captain: thank heavens
Calculus: naturally it is in parts
*Captain shakes Calculus* :lol:

I thought stuff like that would be there :-(

:lol: i guess the animated series had quite a better swearing cursing haddock than the movie..Calculus is thala..whenever i think of calculus Gounder's "M.A philosphy philosphy" comes to my mind for no reason that sottai guy :lol2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABVQYaFL7cY

kid-glove
17th November 2011, 02:34 PM
Here the Haddock living the swordfight happens in a different way. That's where they've derived setups from other books.

Calculus-Haddock is a lot of fun. But again, they've bypassed RR treasure. So whatever you expect from Unicorn, has been changed & merged with plotpoints & characters in other books.

In some ways, it's far more refined here. We don't have Haddock explaining major details to Tintin (like in the book), here he has to "earn" it. And their encounter in Karaboudjan (from Golden Claws) is fit in here seamlessly. Should work for you.

kid-glove
17th November 2011, 02:36 PM
Snowy's chase (as Tintin's kidnapped) is a bit like A.Jolie in Salt. Brilliantly choreographed. Lot of fun.

kid-glove
17th November 2011, 02:38 PM
It felt wise to get rid of BB and merge that to Sakharine too.

Sid_316
17th November 2011, 02:39 PM
Snowy's chase (as Tintin's kidnapped) is a bit like A.Jolie in Salt. Brilliantly choreographed. Lot of fun.

:thumbsup: Snowy was super awesome in the movie

Sid_316
17th November 2011, 02:41 PM
Here the Haddock living the swordfight happens in a different way. That's where they've derived setups from other books.

Calculus-Haddock is a lot of fun. But again, they've bypassed RR treasure. So whatever you expect from Unicorn, has been changed & merged with plotpoints & characters in other books.

In some ways, it's far more refined here. We don't have Haddock explaining major details to Tintin (like in the book), here he has to "earn" it. And their encounter in Karaboudjan (from Golden Claws) is fit in here seamlessly. Should work for you.

But i found captain explaining about his ancestors a little slow though..

kid-glove
17th November 2011, 02:41 PM
He has his way with cats, dogs, cows, eagle & mice. If they had accounted for RR's treasure, maybe even parrots. :lol:

kid-glove
17th November 2011, 02:52 PM
But i found captain explaining about his ancestors a little slow though..

Yeah. But it's nearly a 2 hour movie.

They could have faithfully done the book in 40-50 minutes. Haddock's relationship with Tintin had to be assumed by the uninitiated.

The set-pieces would be the flashback in his flat, the mansion abduction.

They found a way to fit in to Spielberg's theme which centers around Haddock. The way he saw it. Perhaps why Steve didn't add the RR treasure, where Tintin attains more of ascendancy. The film ends with Tintin letting Haddock press the button. Staying true to 'only a Haddock' could do it. I found it interesting. It's very Spielbergian.

kid-glove
17th November 2011, 02:53 PM
KG,

Sure will be goin today i guess..will check with them

Thanks

directhit
17th November 2011, 02:56 PM
Snowy's chase (as Tintin's kidnapped) is a bit like A.Jolie in Salt. Brilliantly choreographed. Lot of fun. my fav character in the novel along with Calculus - gotto watch the movie soon!

V_S
17th November 2011, 08:47 PM
Superb analysis with in-depth details k_g. :clap: Very interesting. Still have to wait another 1 month to watch it :sad:
Yesterday watched couple of episodes (on the site which I posted earlier), 'Cigars of the Pharaoh' and 'Tintin in America'. Throughly entertaining and have to appreciate Herge for bringing that edge-of-seat experience. Cigars of the Pharaoh can also be made into a good movie.

kid-glove
17th November 2011, 10:17 PM
V_S,
Try to read the book. The animated series doesn't translate the magic fully.

V_S
17th November 2011, 10:35 PM
Sure k_g. Thanks. I agree. Oru chinna sOmbErithanam thaan. Reading project for the weekend. :smile: Also watched video mainly for my kids (as I don't have hard copy), story-telling time at night.

Arvind Srinivasan
18th November 2011, 01:44 AM
Yeah. But it's nearly a 2 hour movie.

They could have faithfully done the book in 40-50 minutes. Haddock's relationship with Tintin had to be assumed by the uninitiated.

The set-pieces would be the flashback in his flat, the mansion abduction.

They found a way to fit in to Spielberg's theme which centers around Haddock. The way he saw it. Perhaps why Steve didn't add the RR treasure, where Tintin attains more of ascendancy. The film ends with Tintin letting Haddock press the button. Staying true to 'only a Haddock' could do it. I found it interesting. It's very Spielbergian.

i agree...while an inner part of my heart did prefer a completely faithful adaptation of the comic i could still make out the logic behind the incorporated changes and the fact that its 'spielberg's tintin and not just based on the comic'.I found several places to be quite enjoyable...especially the plane sequence where haddock uses an already drunk alcohol to start the engine...an ingenious way of shedding some light on haddock the character......well the discussions also makes me compare another recreation of a book, HP: prisoner of the askaban which is regarded as the worst movie of the eight by the fans with the critics actually calling it the best in terms of cinematic viewing.

kid-glove
18th November 2011, 01:47 AM
Prisoner is the best IMO. Who are those idiots?

Arvind Srinivasan
18th November 2011, 05:07 AM
^:lol: whole bunch of my college mates think so.....in fact i would be the one to get castigated if i ever moot it as the best movie...

VENKIRAJA
18th November 2011, 08:21 AM
Tintin.
Suthama pudikala. Waste of the discuss.
Meesic was horrible right from the opening credits. 3D was not impressive, visuals were interesting thasaal.
Rejeeted.

kid-glove
18th November 2011, 09:19 AM
^:lol: whole bunch of my college mates think so.....in fact i would be the one to get castigated if i ever moot it as the best movie...

Yeuth. :notthatway: :twisted:

groucho070
18th November 2011, 09:22 AM
Any movie with extended scenes featuring Oldman gets high mark. Prisoner is da best, enakku therinji, but I am biased.

groucho070
18th November 2011, 09:23 AM
Wait, I meant, with Oldman having more screentime.

kid-glove
18th November 2011, 09:38 AM
Yeah, that's great but from Whomping Willow to Hermoine's pink dress, everything was so darn perfect.

KV
18th November 2011, 04:35 PM
Indo-German film festival in Bangalore starting from today, at Lavanya theater.
Schedule: http://www.goethe.de/ins/in/bag/kue/flm/igf/spf/enindex.htm

littlemaster1982
18th November 2011, 11:46 PM
Hangover II - Not even 25% of the original :|

wizzy
20th November 2011, 09:56 AM
^using a seedbox??

VENKIRAJA
21st November 2011, 09:16 PM
Legend of the Boneknapper (2010)
Super Rhino (2010)
Banana, Orientation day, Home Makeover (2010)
Bluray extras of HTTYD, Bolt, Despicable Me.

Meet the Robinsons (2007)
Totally weird first half. Animation was also not great. Ending and all was much better. Not really worth downloading :roll:

littlemaster1982
21st November 2011, 09:33 PM
^using a seedbox??

No, I'm using a measly 512 kbps connection. Just curious, why do you ask :)

wizzy
21st November 2011, 09:39 PM
No, I'm using a measly 512 kbps connection. Just curious, why do you ask :)
ellae..we are in sync with respect to hd-movies I leech..was wondering whether you were also using seedbox to download mkvs..:mrgreen:

littlemaster1982
21st November 2011, 09:43 PM
I randomly download movies. Probably that's why our dls sync :) Seedbox level-kku innum pogala.

Sid_316
23rd November 2011, 02:26 AM
This week it's goodfellas at PVR.

ajithfederer
23rd November 2011, 05:27 PM
Toy-light saaagaa br dawn part 1 (Ahahn, idhula part 2 vera) op weekend gross 139 mil$ :shock:.

VENKIRAJA
23rd November 2011, 07:47 PM
Watched Monsters again.
Pixar flicks never get old. And surprisingly, managed to notice that characters from Nemo, Toy Story II and a ball from their very primitive animated short appear. They amuse us with such stuff in almost every film.

LM- Got links of the recent HTTYD exclusive releases? Two more short films.

littlemaster1982
23rd November 2011, 07:54 PM
Not yet. Bruce Lee padam download pannittu irukken 2 naala :lol:

VENKIRAJA
23rd November 2011, 08:10 PM
Did I post watching Ip Man already?
Uncool Kung fu for the first time. First part was neat and entertaining. Second part was like Rocky/ Madarasapattinam. Naansans madhiri pannitaanga, Still can watch once.

littlemaster1982
23rd November 2011, 08:14 PM
Remember seeing you post about IP man. Ingaiya illa FB-yanu gnabagam illa.

kid-glove
25th November 2011, 09:34 PM
'Ides of March' - Disappointing. Clooney loves filming his Male protagonist, doesn't he? Gosling has never looked more charismatic. He creates the part he's given with as much conviction as it's possible & the film has no big ambitions.

Liked the dolly shot as the rain dips & wiper swipes , the shadow half-disguises Gosling breaking down. Indha oru piece pOdhumE, Gosling nalla varuvaan..

AravindMano
26th November 2011, 08:24 PM
The Descendants. Lovely little film. I liked the people in the film, the way they came out alive in more than one dimension, embarrassed themselves when their emotions betrayed them and the way they talked themselves out. Supreme control over the situations and actors by the director (haven't watched his previous outings). Interesting mix of comedy and drama - people and situations. A little slow in it's pace, a lot of empty shots and almost every alternate scene ended way away from where they should have ended, but yet the film managed to hold my interest till the end. I might not be able to jot down that one point this film was built on, but I think that's a characteristic of a good film.

Every actor in this film is good. And George Clooney does a charming act - totally loved him in this.

Hopefully will catch the film which has generated the other Oscar Nomination buzz - for the best actress.

GSV
27th November 2011, 06:49 PM
FAST FIVE..

One of the best action film..

The best in FAST series..

kid-glove
27th November 2011, 07:35 PM
The Descendants. Lovely little film. I liked the people in the film, the way they came out alive in more than one dimension, embarrassed themselves when their emotions betrayed them and the way they talked themselves out. Supreme control over the situations and actors by the director (haven't watched his previous outings). Interesting mix of comedy and drama - people and situations. A little slow in it's pace, a lot of empty shots and almost every alternate scene ended way away from where they should have ended, but yet the film managed to hold my interest till the end. I might not be able to jot down that one point this film was built on, but I think that's a characteristic of a good film.

Every actor in this film is good. And George Clooney does a charming act - totally loved him in this.

Hopefully will catch the film which has generated the other Oscar Nomination buzz - for the best actress.

Check out his other films "Election", "Sideways".

AravindMano
27th November 2011, 09:09 PM
Doc - sure thing.

VENKIRAJA
28th November 2011, 10:58 PM
The X-Men trilogy.
Such brilliant build-up only to end up in a disastrously hollywood-ish half hour of mindless action? :banghead:
CG is simply best of the best. Characters connect, OST is amazing.. what more can you ask for? :clap:
Hope the First Class/ Magneto trilogy makes up for it.

Sid_316
29th November 2011, 05:51 PM
50/50

Liked it a lot. Much better movie in the "feel good" category. Seth rogan was hilarious throughout :rotfl: Gordon levitt was also good.. His selection of movies :thumbsup:. Neat screenplay and direction too.

VENKIRAJA
29th November 2011, 06:13 PM
The Ghost Writer.
Found that TGW was a Polanski film only when the credits started rolling. Happened to watch Pianist about 4 years or so and I never intended to watch a Polanski film since then. Somehow, liked this one.

groucho070
30th November 2011, 07:44 AM
Puss in Boots. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Not much on humour.

VENKIRAJA
30th November 2011, 06:48 PM
Watched Helvetica (2007).
An insightful documentary about the History and Geography of the typeface, interviews from Major Graphic designers, et al. Beautifully shot!

Documentary suggestions, please. :D

kid-glove
30th November 2011, 06:58 PM
Enna madhiri documentaries?

Bala (Karthik)
1st December 2011, 09:20 AM
Puss in Boots. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Not much on humour.
Till recently, i thought it was a repulsive title (mistook this for 'pus' - adi kidi pattaa varume) :oops:

groucho070
1st December 2011, 11:33 AM
:lol: Etho oru art film on red necks-nu nenechittinggalO.

VENKIRAJA
1st December 2011, 07:59 PM
Enna madhiri documentaries?
Related to Architecture, Graphic Design, Photography or Filmmakers.. anything will do. Those which are very well shot, no subject in particular.

KV
1st December 2011, 09:03 PM
I don't know if this can be classified under documentaries, but naa paathu maanjupOna oru padam Baraka (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baraka_(film)). Visual spectacle, one of its kind experience.

Querida
2nd December 2011, 01:35 AM
Venkiraja nice avatar! Recently went to see "the descendents" and friend kept asking if we were seeing the "the despicables" :razz:

Anyways depressing outset from the get go...the bgm...I honestly tried to like it...usu I pride myself on embracing world music...but this just didn't do it for me...Hawaiian folk music just isn't my thing I guess...but the scenery it made me soooo homesick for M'asia....now to the movie at hand...All Eyes on Clooney (he's easy on them too ;) ) what can i say, he carries the movie, the oldest daughter got some fire in her...a deplorable situation indeed but somehow all of it coming together in a kind of safe "let's not make this messier than it is" kind of way...some language thrown in to show the "dysfunction"...

kid-glove
2nd December 2011, 02:43 AM
Baraka is a great non-narrative piece of filmmaking. As is Koyaanasqatsi. On a slightly lesser pedestal, Chronos & Powaqqatsi. Aforementioned would fall in line with 'no subject in particular'. So don't curse us! :lol: And especially for you Venki, they're available in Blu-ray/HD rip formats.

The documentaries that are more than just lip-service but also concerned with form, that it's so intimately tied to the content. The ones that get the dialectic right to my eyes, Triumph of the Will. Night and Fog. Man with the movie camera. Salesman. The Sorrow and the Pity. The Hour of the Furnaces. Battle of Chile. Of Time and the City. All predominantly Black and white, save for sparse usage of color to contrast the 'present', are essential viewing. The documentaries of one Chris Marker, together with Asian filmmakers (Wang Bing, Jia Zhang-ke, Kore-eda & Kazuo to name some), the non-narrative experimental stuff of Brakhage, James Benning expand the horizon more.

The problem in suggesting these documentaries is when you're faced with 'rejetted' posts. :lol:

So to save the trouble, suggesting works of Adam Curtis like 'Power of nightmares' might be the way to go. Instructive (I say that with all humility) documentaries like Hearts and Minds, Woodstock, Century of the self, Manufacturing Consent, Manufctred Landscapes, The God Delusion, Taxi to the dark side, Exit thro' the gift shop, Iraq in fragments, War Photographer, Crumb, Capturing the Friedmans wouldn't go wrong. There are inspired photography & flourishes in some of these documentaries as well. But they are not really medium-defining IMHO. Educational documentary mini-series like Cosmos, How Art made the world, Human Body, Planet Earth, World at War, Atheism tapes are like daily fodder.

You would find only parts in youtube. The aforementioned are all available in mvgroup http://forums.mvgroup.org

Not quite sure they still allow registration. Alternatively, you could get their uploads using torrents. In fact, I'd suggest checking out most of their uploads. Part of my curriculum, until couple of years back when I switched to TV series, was to collect their latest release. They eat up your real-estate, but you could afford those GBs if you're really desperate like me to hog as much stuff as you could. Some I haven't even got around to. I look forward to, in near future. In particular the PBS works of Ferederick Wiseman (who is considered a master). One thing for sure. You're packed for life, even if the internet loses its autonomy & we, the pirates, have no seas to coast through.

Documentaries on film is a whole new genre in itself. Godard's History of Cinema, Hell on Earth (RIP Ken Russell), Heart of darkness, Burden of dreams, Pervert's guide to cinema, Chris Marker's documentary on Tarkovsky (This OTOH transcends to something else, see below), Voyage to Italy, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies. Ranging from Godard's bazin-esque historical panache to Scorsese's Popeye-esque spinach to cinema.

Couple of German filmmakers like Herzog & Wim Wenders make documentaries that fall in line thematically with their fictional films. You might want to check out their stuff if you dig their films. They've both recently made 3D documentaries ('Pina' perhaps qualifies as non-fiction). I also consider Scorsese's documentary Italianamerican & American Boy very instructive & integral to his films. Marker's docu on Tarkovsky is again integral to Tarkovsky's oeuvre & filmmaking. It's a tribute that embodies the subject of its tribute & therefore truly eulogizes (in visual terms) the art of Tarkovsky.

Sports documentaries is a HUGE (& seperate) genre as well. Youtube should have 'When we were kings', 'Wrestling with Shadows' to 'Magic of Bird', 'Mane Garrincha'. It's the recent releases that face copyright issues. You don't have Arsenal's season review videos. Or the much recent 'Senna' by Asif Kapadia, which is very good btw!

kid-glove
2nd December 2011, 02:48 AM
Citizen Kane. On big screen. :notworthy:

Still a relatively poor transfer. :twisted: But the accentuated DOF of Welles-Toland makes up for it. No matter what kind of Hi-Def TV or blu-ray player you hold, it deserves to be seen in big screen. :notworthy:

Bala (Karthik)
2nd December 2011, 06:48 AM
KG
It shouldn't be :shock: -ing but still.... :notworthy:

groucho070
2nd December 2011, 08:58 AM
Citizen Kane. On big screen. :notworthy:
Enakku kuduttvaikkala. Vonly small screen, athuvum antha kAlattula vAngguna VCD.

KV
2nd December 2011, 10:34 AM
KG, :clap: thanks for that truck load of recos!
btw, where did you get to see CK on big screen? Special screening edhaachu irundhucha?

venki, some kosuru: music related docus is again a vast subset. If you like (or at least can tolerate) rock/metal, check out Flight666 (Iron Maiden's) and Some kinda monster (Metallica).

KV
2nd December 2011, 12:09 PM
//
Pics from deivam's still photography years. I've never seen this set before, some superb captures.
http://english.mashkulture.net/2011/11/30/stanley-kubricks-photos-of-1940s-new-york/ (http://english.mashkulture.net/2011/11/30/stanley-kubricks-photos-of-1940s-new-york/)
//

kid-glove
2nd December 2011, 12:16 PM
FVR'la parthEn. Missed Taxi Driver (print was worst-u it seems), Goodfellas (print was okay I heard).

Music-related documentaries is a genre I haven't done much, save for 'Woodstock' (which turns out to be a portrait of the era), 'Gimme Shelter', 'Joy Division' (which turns out to be a portrait of the city!)* & educational stuff like 'The Blues' (Wenders, Eastwood, Scorsese have all contributed). 'Wild man Blues' is available in youtube, for WA fans but here he is a clarinet player.

* - in this regard a work like 'Los Angeles plays itself' is going to be influential. Thorn Anderson cares about realistic, authentic portrayal of LA in film, but even more he sets out to rectify/instruct some misrepresentations (like Chinatown, for eg.). Someone ought to make a 'Chennai plays itself' for TFI.

groucho070
2nd December 2011, 12:18 PM
Second pix, the guy in the background. That's him. I bet he was arrested after that for appearing freaky in other people's mirror.

kid-glove
2nd December 2011, 12:18 PM
There are some Kubrick documentaries like 'Kubrick's boxes', 'SK: A life in pictures', & a Charlie Rose discussion about the documentary with Scorsese, Mrs Kubrick & Jan Harlan. They're all worth watching, of course.

KV
2nd December 2011, 01:54 PM
@grouch: :lol: had that been a sudden appearance, that lady'd have certainly creeped out and fainted. What a sinister gaze, bleddy!

kg, i downloaded a box-set collection of him sometime back (has a scratchy copy of fear&desire, and also an audio recording of an interview, where he sounds extremely reluctant and withdrawn, quite expected though) and I think it has one of these docus, inime dhaan paakanum.

kid-glove
2nd December 2011, 03:50 PM
Check if it has dvd extras of Dr.Strangelove, Shining & FMJ. In DR.SL, they discuss alternate ending (the pie fight), Shining has SK tormenting Shelly & Crothers (sense of family superficially partaking in his process as his mom visit the shoot & his daughter Vivian shoots the docu, despite SK being watchful & maintains a distance. Not wanting her to spoil his cast & crew), second unit director directing Danny, Nicholson can't help but be charismatic (that it could be mistaken for flirtation with Miss Kubrick), FMJ has bits & pieces of the on-location shoot.

VENKIRAJA
2nd December 2011, 05:51 PM
Missed Taxi Driver (print was worst-u it seems), Goodfellas (print was okay I heard).
Annan Sid_316 paarthaar I guess.
Documentary suggestions-ku thaniya oru :clap: ellam podanum. Viriva nanri solren :notworthy:

Venkiraja nice avatar!
:) Thanks. If you haven't check out all the three cool mini-movies that came out with Despicable Me bluray/rips.

kid-glove
2nd December 2011, 07:54 PM
I dread if you guys would start :hammer: -ing me, inevitably disappointed after all the extended eulogy I've given to these films. But it's a risk worth taking. These films deserve engagement, all it needs is the audience. It'd fail to some, it'd work for others.

Sid_316
2nd December 2011, 08:21 PM
Annan Sid_316 paarthaar I guess.
Documentary suggestions-ku thaniya oru :clap: ellam podanum. Viriva nanri solren :notworthy:

:) Thanks. If you haven't check out all the three cool mini-movies that came out with Despicable Me bluray/rips.

Frnd wanted to see in time instead of taxi driver. Missed it :twisted:

wizzy
2nd December 2011, 08:48 PM
K-G..any links to PBS American Masters docus? in look out for "A Letter to Elia" stuck at 40%..no seeds :banghead:

kid-glove
2nd December 2011, 08:51 PM
PBS website

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/category/video/

Both the parts worked for me. But I'm getting error now (at office). Hurry, they might restrict access.

wizzy
2nd December 2011, 08:57 PM
doesn't work for me..been trying it for ages..have you seen it?

kid-glove
2nd December 2011, 09:03 PM
Yes I did. Overall Sumaar. He looks comfy for a change.

GSV
4th December 2011, 11:32 PM
Minority Report..
Brilliant film.. bit complicated like inception.. Must watch movie..

kid-glove
5th December 2011, 01:08 PM
Network has put up a competent DVD for 'The Shout'. I was intrigued to watch this film after catching a glimpse in Gleeson's TV in 'The Guard'. We actually see the 'shout' itself. It just fascinated me from that moment. How do you pull it off formally? Bates using his physicality, his 'presence' works for much of the psychological fear & trepidation. And a masterful soundtrack work (though not a 5.1 in this DVD). It works subconsciously, increase the volume & position yourself in the right acoustical zone. Hurt's character playing out the sounds in his room also works up in ways you would expect of a 70's British film. There's also bad food & uneasy demeanor/behavioral patterns of a 'mannered society' on brink of breaking down these conventions. One couldn't shake off the Dr.Caligari narrative technique. Like any good cinema should, it plays out the fabric of dream/story-within-the-story-within-the-story/unreliable narration in its prescient cyclical form. In the process, it transcends its genre. The cuts & juxtapositions were precisely made & aural design more than stands up to it. The casting is brilliant. Apart from Bates, there's Hurt returning back to his submissive prototype, and he makes it natural as he could only be. Susannah York filtered through Bates plays out the erotica, despite the uneasy sexuality of Bates retained in his own narration. I was disappointed though that the metaphorical representation of sand dunes were literal in the poster/artwork of the film. The landscapes here & characters working up & down the terrain operates like the character's own revelation. Re.Hurt's christian sensibilities & the sanctimony of marriage. It does feel though Hurt embodies the narrator in the s-within-the-s. His attempts to have a fling with another man's wife. Similarly, Hurt's religious/dogmatic belief is being mocked on by Bates, but he shows even more irrational occult sensibilities, & Susannah's character gets 'turned-on' by primal inhibitions. It's this sort of a thing that I least expect from film as a medium. The cameo from Broadbent is part humorous today due to his casting. But the ending itself is played out to be 'absurd'. The again, the filmic universe of aboriginal surrealism & the location of cricket match (a game of much complicated rules) played out in a mental ward et Al is existential absurdity. I look forward to more of Jerzy Skolimowski. I didn't particularly like 'Essential killing' despite the astonishing performance of Vincent Gallo, but I'm discovering his fabric. I expect to have a different view of EK next time.

I also saw Ken Russell's 'Song of Summer'. It's a faithful narration of the last days of the English composer, Delius, in collaboration with a young apprentice, Eric Fenby. We see it from Fenby's pov. Debut of Christopher Gable?! And a powerful performance as Delius by Max Adrian. How both characters hit off eventually (with help of Delius's wife) & manage to produce some of his lasting work is what the film is about. For a 'Tv movie', Beeb production, Unkle Ken manages to put out a tonal visual approach & it's as cinematic as he could be. The marriage of symphony to the imagery is sensually pleasing. The opening with Fenby's own love with natural sounds in open landscapes is vivid as well. Unlike 'The Shout', the simplistic nature of its sights & sounds in pure B & W still stuck with me. Looking forward to his other biopics. I actually like Ken's theatrical signature & polemical style. Slightly disappointed to not see that here.

At times, it was hard to hear the dialogues (esp. Jelka Delius's English dialect) & there were no subtitles. But again, a special release by BFI in view of preservation should only be applauded.

somu_87
6th December 2011, 03:12 AM
Watched "Hugo" - Scorsese movie without any cuss words or blood wrenching scenes. Intense drama, I should say. Slow on narration but gripping enough to sustain our patience. The narration was bit similar to raging bull. A good enjoyable one time watch for me !

AravindMano
7th December 2011, 08:58 AM
Chennai film fest (http://www.chennaifilmfest.com/ciff_9.html) is coming.

ajithfederer
9th December 2011, 06:35 PM
TTSS opens today in the US. Namma hubbers aaravadhu paathinganna eluddhunngooo!!. It has a 91% in rt.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tinker_tailor_soldier_spy/

kid-glove
9th December 2011, 11:00 PM
http://guru.bafta.org/charlie-kaufman-screenwriters-lecture-video

Sunil_M88
11th December 2011, 06:57 AM
The Inbetweeners Movie

:rotfl3:

littlemaster1982
11th December 2011, 03:36 PM
Salt (2010_ :rotfl:

En sarvisla naan evvalavo thillalangadi padangalai paathirukken but this film's plot tops em all.

Just watched this. Indha padatthai idhai vida correct-a describe panna mudiyaadhu :lol:

kid-glove
11th December 2011, 03:54 PM
Action scenes were very well choreographed. Maybe Nolan could learn from this, how to shoot a chase sequence..

KV
11th December 2011, 11:49 PM
http://guru.bafta.org/charlie-kaufman-screenwriters-lecture-video
:bow: vaarthai muttudhu. onion peeling.

Sunil_M88
12th December 2011, 12:33 AM
Four Lions

British comedy about a group of young Muslims who aspire to be terrorists. Very hilarious but thought provoking at the same time

groucho070
13th December 2011, 07:08 AM
An article (http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Latest-News-Wires/2011/0518/Pirates-and-26-other-sequels-this-year-Are-Hollywood-execs-ruining-movies) by Ebert I missed earlier. It doesn't make me regret that I have been missing many movies on theatre this year.

VENKIRAJA
14th December 2011, 04:29 PM
Shutter Island
Thoroughly engrossing and entertaining. :clap:

Balaji.r
14th December 2011, 08:25 PM
x-men first class.

Have never seen x-men series, watched this prequel bcoz of Vaughn thoroughly enjoyed it. Any x-men fan out here? Any recos from x-men series?

VENKIRAJA
14th December 2011, 11:39 PM
x-men first class.

Have never seen x-men series, watched this prequel bcoz of Vaughn thoroughly enjoyed it. Any x-men fan out here? Any recos from x-men series?

Ditto. Watched XMFC first and then the rest of the series.

X-Men and X2 are genuinely entertaining. Last Stand completely wastes the epic characters. Origins of Wolverine creates a few terrific comic book heroes and destroys them.

Hope the XMFC trilogy and Magneto trilogy go good. Wolverine trilogy would be designed by default as post 2000's Vijayakanth-types I guess.

Querida
15th December 2011, 02:01 AM
"Horrible Bosses" what is it about comedies lately that have to be cringe-worthy?
Still overall it was good for a watch.

littlemaster1982
15th December 2011, 02:33 PM
A Beautiful Mind - Didn't have the impact it supposed to have. A good watch, though.

Drive - Meh. Didn't work for me at all :|

Source Code - Timepass.

Sid_316
15th December 2011, 06:16 PM
The inbetweeners movie - Funny :lol:

VENKIRAJA
15th December 2011, 06:38 PM
Drive - Meh. Didn't work for me at all :|
nalla velai :D naan kooda bayandhutten..