PDA

View Full Version : Which non-indian film u saw recently has made u post here???

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

littlemaster1982
15th December 2011, 07:01 PM
nalla velai :D naan kooda bayandhutten..

Almost every critic has praised this film. Enakkudhan puriyalaiyo-nu oru doubt :roll:

Sid_316
15th December 2011, 07:44 PM
Same here.. Drive sama overrated :evil:

Sunil_M88
15th December 2011, 08:02 PM
The inbetweeners movie - Funny :lol:

Did you follow the series, if not please check it out at some point.

Balaji.r
15th December 2011, 08:04 PM

X-Men and X2 are genuinely entertaining. Last Stand completely wastes the epic characters. Origins of Wolverine creates a few terrific comic book heroes and destroys them.

would be watching x men and x2 atleast.

Sid_316
15th December 2011, 08:28 PM

Nope. Series irukne theriyadu ... will check it out

ajaybaskar
15th December 2011, 09:05 PM
Mission Impossible:Ghost Protocol

Not on the same level of the previous instalments but watchable for some breathtaking action. Watched it with few celebrities. :)

Arvind Srinivasan
15th December 2011, 09:31 PM
^wat about Indian superstar Anil Kapoors performance.......

ajaybaskar
15th December 2011, 09:51 PM
Anil Kapoor? Yeah.. I saw his name in the opening and closing credits.

Arvind Srinivasan
15th December 2011, 10:11 PM
Anil Kapoor? Yeah.. I saw his name in the opening and closing credits.

:rotfl::rotfl:....

kubrick
16th December 2011, 12:45 AM

Only after hearing about the movie I checked the pilot. Found it funny. Seems recommendable.

groucho070
16th December 2011, 08:05 AM
:rotfl: Ajay.

Querida
16th December 2011, 10:05 AM
"The Tree of Life"

Breathtaking movie...from the previews I thought it was about another broken/dysfunctional family, nice to see a positive father figure. Boy who plays Sean Penn's younger version is very laudable, the younger blond one is such a sweet cherub. Curious not to hear much about the third at all...unlike 2001: a space odyssey...which I have fallen asleep thrice trying to watch...this one I was wide-eyed and awake for...love the thundering phase...on the same note Koyaanisqatsi I remember being lulled to sleep as well...after awhile it's too overwhelmingly repetitive IMO.

Balaji.r
16th December 2011, 12:15 PM
The devils double.

Story of uday saddam hussain. passable

littlemaster1982
16th December 2011, 10:42 PM
MI: Ghost Protocol - Quite good. Plenty of action, not a single dull moment. That skyscraper scene alone is worth the price of admission. Climax is a dampener though.

littlemaster1982
17th December 2011, 01:04 PM
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009) - very very good :clap: :clap:

kid-glove
17th December 2011, 10:58 PM
TGF part II :notworthy: In to double figures. Was inspired to revisit after reading Oldman's eulogy..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/8766424/Gary-Oldman-on-Francis-Ford-Coppola.html

kid-glove
19th December 2011, 05:04 PM
Rampart - This might feature in an upcoming Thorn Anderson LA on film sequel. A little less disorienting for James Elroy, a little less discomforting for Oren Moveman. Woody Harrelson's performance, like Shannon's in 'Take Shelter', might be little less mainstream for GG/Oscar panel. But then again who would you, as critic/jury member, rather take pictures with, Pitt, Clooney & Di Caprio, right?

ajithfederer
19th December 2011, 10:13 PM
MI - 4 : Good Dumeel Fun. I liked it. Still can't decide whether this or 3rd I like the most.

First half - Terrific. Best MI Franchise 1st half. Pace of the film is breakneck.The scenes in kremlin and Burj Khalifa scenes were very good.
A big :thumbsup: to support cast, Benji (Simon Pegg) especially.
2nd half could have been better.

Sid_316
19th December 2011, 10:31 PM
MI - 4 : Good Dumeel Fun. I liked it. Still can't decide whether this or 3rd I like the most.

First half - Terrific. Best MI Franchise 1st half. Pace of the film is breakneck.The scenes in kremlin and Burj Khalifa scenes were very good.
A big :thumbsup: to support cast, Benji (Simon Pegg) especially.
2nd half could have been better.

Liked it too.. But multiplex crowd is amazing here.. edavadhu mokkayana joke/activity from their fav star naale kai thatranga/sirikuranga :-P. Anil kapoor made a fool of himself but was light a funny :)

Sunil_M88
19th December 2011, 10:33 PM
A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas

The funniest Christmas film :rotfl3:

Highlights/best scenes *Spoiler Alert*

Harold's friends baby getting high.
The random teen party.
NPH pretending to be gay.
When Harold and Kumar are about to get killed.
The Santa scene.

5/5

littlemaster1982
20th December 2011, 12:46 PM
Liked it too.. But multiplex crowd is amazing here.. edavadhu mokkayana joke/activity from their fav star naale kai thatranga/sirikuranga :-P. Anil kapoor made a fool of himself but was light a funny :)

I was really surprised by the crowd responses in AGS. Starting from censor certificate/Tom Cruise entry/titles balattha applause and Burj scene-kku niraiya whistles. Last time I saw a multiplex crowd as involved with the film was Ratattouile (co-incidentally another Brad Bird film).

wizzy
20th December 2011, 01:47 PM
MI at Fame screen 4..screen was as big as tv :banghead: completely ruined the movie :twisted:..Benji was :lol:

Querida
21st December 2011, 11:45 AM
Thank you! Hope you enjoy it too. :)

Thank you Kubrick for bring to light "Another Year", I finally watched it and did enjoy it very much :)
A movie that could not be engrossing if not for the talent of its actors...I really enjoyed the warmth of Tom and Gerry's relationship while pitying yet recognizing the difficulty of Mary's role. I was surprised how the patient who we see in the beginning disappears totally from the film. I am lucky to know a Katie in real life, she really brought a smile to my face. I also know a Tom, one of my dear professors :)

kubrick
21st December 2011, 09:42 PM
Thank you Kubrick for bring to light "Another Year", I finally watched it and did enjoy it very much :)
A movie that could not be engrossing if not for the talent of its actors...I really enjoyed the warmth of Tom and Gerry's relationship while pitying yet recognizing the difficulty of Mary's role. I was surprised how the patient who we see in the beginning disappears totally from the film. I am lucky to know a Katie in real life, she really brought a smile to my face. I also know a Tom, one of my dear professors :)

I'm glad you liked it. It is so surprising that such a simple movie could mean so different to different people. I've been forcing myself not to watch it again within a year. Now you've mentioned it I cant resist the temptation anymore. :)

Sid_316
22nd December 2011, 09:13 PM
Contagion - Good thriller.. once paakalam

kubrick
23rd December 2011, 12:15 PM
A Separation

Definitely this year's best film. There isn't a single redundant scene in the whole movie. Script writing at its best and I couldn't find a single way in which this film could have been better. Weirdly the synopsis generally found doesn't really give an idea about the movie at all. Highly recommended.

Arvind Srinivasan
24th December 2011, 08:25 AM
Just watched The hurt locker- very good acting, beautiful settings but just that the movie never seemed to get to a point.....rather i was wondering as to what the whole point of the movie was....What i found quite intriguing was how the protagonist was shaped up....the many layers in his character were actually interesting but his action and their repercussions doesnt seem to be the sole point of the film......But nevertheless Jeremy Renner was excellent and so were Anthony Mackie and Brian Geraghty. The film has excellent cinematography and the bomb sequences were very well done .......but just that minor glitch that i had mentioned above...

kid-glove
26th December 2011, 03:04 PM
His hands disarming the bomb. And him living closer to the point of no return. Chasing after ideals & emotional plane, that doesn't exist, without getting all righteous & personal. Living through moments of danger. Or rather, 'living' itself.

Back in civilian life, the mundane choices of the stacked & tinned atmosphere in the vast supermarkets (Where does this stack up to the transcendental sips in trenches of the desert off the cold-blooded sniper, each loaded with meaning), close up of his hands cleaning up the leaves in roof trench. (How I wish they didn't have that terrible exposition, ala 'toys' to his child, in retrospect one assumes this was to address jury members of the academy)

The final montage, back in action. The machismo-matic vanity in his eyes.

It's a well made film. But how much of it is editing , trial & error? And is it really worthy of its attention, for what is essentially a relatively simplistic point. A point made in past (admittedly in the 'passing') by many a war movie.

On flip side, you have Redacted, which is politically bold (unlike HL), but mess of a film. One would assume De Palma meant it to be that way for two thirds of it, the rest would be incompetence/senility.

kid-glove
26th December 2011, 03:10 PM
'Seachd: The Inaccessible Pinnacle' - family Christmas dvd. Landscape teasing aside, uninteresting set of vignettes & a sleep-inducing excuse of a plot. Forget Togolese/Norwegian, I've seen a full-length Gaelic film. Beat that! :lol2:

Arvind Srinivasan
26th December 2011, 06:23 PM
His hands disarming the bomb. And him living closer to the point of no return. Chasing after ideals & emotional plane, that doesn't exist, without getting all righteous & personal. Living through moments of danger. Or rather, 'living' itself.

Back in civilian life, the mundane choices of the stacked & tinned atmosphere in the vast supermarkets (Where does this stack up to the transcendental sips in trenches of the desert off the cold-blooded sniper, each loaded with meaning), close up of his hands cleaning up the leaves in roof trench. (How I wish they didn't have that terrible exposition, ala 'toys' to his child, in retrospect one assumes this was to address jury members of the academy)

The final montage, back in action. The machismo-matic vanity in his eyes.

It's a well made film. But how much of it is editing , trial & error? And is it really worthy of its attention, for what is essentially a relatively simplistic point. A point made in past (admittedly in the 'passing') by many a war movie.

On flip side, you have Redacted, which is politically bold (unlike HL), but mess of a film. One would assume De Palma meant it to be that way for two thirds of it, the rest would be incompetence/senility.

Agree with most here..........for me though , i found sanborns character to be even more intriguing more than james....a little more depth could have helped...and wrt the exposition i felt it sticks out like a sore thumb....could have easily been done with.....

kid-glove
26th December 2011, 06:43 PM
They ought to make a film on the suicide bomber who is forced into it. Or the boy who sells pirated dvds. It's these Iraqis who deserve to be seen/heard/understood. But then not many American producers would be willing to distribute, let alone fund it.

Interesting how the Iraqis are unnamed. The boy is called after a white man (after whom, a million brownies swooned over, a blockbuster film made by brownies as well, Bend it like...). There's a thin line of identity and personal association. For that matter, every line of communication fails. Utterly. He tries doing a covert operation. Every attempt of trying to make it personal. A revenge? How loose is that self-indicted delusion. We realize that when there's the boy selling pirated DVD again. Is that Beckham or a different boy? A prompt choice to leave it unresolved. for us, the audience. Ultimately, what makes him fight? IT is not this righteous attempt to 'stand up' for Iraqis. It's that deep pit of emptiness in his mundane civilian life. This seems the be the intention. While we could argue this to be a shortcoming, to not go down in route of Homeland (Brody-Issa relationship), was absolutely vital here. I could understand the choices taken.

groucho070
27th December 2011, 07:13 AM
Tangled.

Good fun. Confirmed I am getting soft. Anyway, the horse was show-stealer, and the cameleon.

Arvind Srinivasan
27th December 2011, 08:16 AM
Another thing that didnt work for me was the portrayal of three EOD officers not following protocol..... that the three went over the line to find the bomber and also the preceding dialogues mouthed by renner about how the bomber was in the vicinity just under their nose just doesnt work...this eventhough goes with the flow of renners character does mark for poor writing....in real circumstances the officers would have been reprimanded if not chucked out of duty......thats just taking things for granted...this was just an after thought though

Balaji.r
27th December 2011, 01:32 PM
Tangled.

Good fun. Confirmed I am getting soft. Anyway, the horse was show-stealer, and the cameleon.

yea, this movie was good fun.

kid-glove
27th December 2011, 05:50 PM
Another thing that didnt work for me was the portrayal of three EOD officers not following protocol..... that the three went over the line to find the bomber and also the preceding dialogues mouthed by renner about how the bomber was in the vicinity just under their nose just doesnt work...this eventhough goes with the flow of renners character does mark for poor writing....in real circumstances the officers would have been reprimanded if not chucked out of duty......thats just taking things for granted...this was just an after thought though

Yeah, him trying to be the 'vengeful hero' (as if it'd bring 'meaning' to it all), is the kind of stuff the writer & Bigelow were interested in, I think.

kid-glove
27th December 2011, 06:00 PM
Re.protocol, a valid point. If the film were to set it in a 'realistic portrayal' of war, could you afford a sense of implausibility? Here of course, they buy that license for the character (Renner's).

A film like "Essential killing" has three soldiers enter in to a cave without a grenade/flash-bang cleaning out the angle, even a 'Call of duty' player like me would know that. But for that particular film & filmmaker, it fits really well. It really does.

VENKIRAJA
27th December 2011, 06:04 PM
Memories of a murder.
Padu sumaar :roll:

Arvind Srinivasan
27th December 2011, 09:28 PM
certain films eventhough flawed require a viewing followed a healthy discussion surrounding it..... "the hurt locker " comes under the category....has been a wonderful interaction with you so far,kg...:)

kubrick
28th December 2011, 12:17 AM
Read my lips (sur mes leveres)

Though it is a thriller the dramatic portions were the highlight. The lead character's affinity towards one another is shown in an intensly complex way. It wins in both thriller as well as drama categories. I would say this to be a better film of Audiard than "Un prophet", with the single watch I had of it. Both Vincent Cassell and the lead lady were very good. Vincent Cassell fans should definitely watch this.

VENKIRAJA
29th December 2011, 02:46 PM
Ninja Assassin
Very slick stunt-choreo :thumbsup: Liked the music too!
Felt like a thamiz comic-book nerd that I was.

ajithfederer
29th December 2011, 06:07 PM
Sherlock Holmes - 2 anybody?. It has released in Brooke fields here. May watch this weekend.

P_R
29th December 2011, 06:23 PM
It has released in Brooke fields here. :confused2: umadhu coordinates enna? adikkadi kuzhappureer.

littlemaster1982
29th December 2011, 06:48 PM
There is a mall called Brooke Fields in CBE. Sathyam Cinemas opened a mulitplex there.

ajithfederer
29th December 2011, 07:05 PM
Pincode : aaru latchathi naapathi oraayirathi onnu.

:confused2: umadhu coordinates enna? adikkadi kuzhappureer.

P_R
29th December 2011, 07:09 PM
There is a mall called Brooke Fields in CBE. Oh :oops: kOyamuthoorla sandhaikku gOyindhsaamy, kuppsaamy-nu pEr vaikkakoodaadhA?

ajithfederer
29th December 2011, 07:19 PM
Located in a prime centre, the place was preivously called Brooke Bond Tea and Coffee, a subsidiary of Hindusthan Lever. Now they demolished the place and built a mall there. The mall is running for almost a year now and just 2-3 weeks before Sathyam opened a multiplex in 4th floor of the Mall. Now the Cinemas is occupied heavily by people and it provides good options although I would like to have some more movies added there.

P.S: I came to know this place through our Natpu HR fb.

wizzy
29th December 2011, 08:44 PM
AF, how many screens?

ajithfederer
29th December 2011, 09:24 PM
6 screens/

Fridge
30th December 2011, 06:15 AM
Just got back from watching Sherlock Holmes tonight.. was great..

Arvind Srinivasan
31st December 2011, 09:37 AM
Sherlock holmes: game of Shadows was a lot of fun....lot of good moments and i liked the ending as well.....But just one question ....how much does both the movies actually portray the sherlock holmes the character from the novel by Doyle.....I havent read the book...so people who have read the book and also seen the movie can explain...

Arvind Srinivasan
31st December 2011, 10:12 AM
Will be going to TTSS this weekend......:)

P_R
31st December 2011, 10:35 AM
Hitchcock aarvalargaLE pliss to recommend...

Vintage value mattumallaadhu absoleet terms-la gun-nA nikkira padangaL sollunga

Have seen the following:

Shadow of Doubt - an example of what I would call unreservedly enjoyable for someone with not much context about film-history
Trouble with Harry
The Man who Knew Too Much
Dial M for Murder
Rear Window
Vertigo, Psycho - an example of what I regard , good considering pioneering contribution film, technique, but overall...

wizzy
31st December 2011, 11:28 AM
^have you seen Rope (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040746/) ? gun atleast for me...donno why Hitchcock fans devour this movie though.

ajithfederer
31st December 2011, 12:16 PM
I assume it is Tinker Tailor soldier spy. Please write after u have watched the film.

Will be going to TTSS this weekend......:)

Arvind Srinivasan
31st December 2011, 05:12 PM
sure AF....On kg's recommendation I saw "let the right one in"...I must say I was impressed with Tomas Alfredson.....Thats why i am eager to catch up with TTSS...will post my thoughts by monday.....

kid-glove
31st December 2011, 07:13 PM
MI 4: Ghost Protocol

Excellent.

groucho070
1st January 2012, 01:02 PM
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadow

As awesome as the first one. This one takes from The Final Problem, and Holmes fans knows what happens here. Yes, the dreaded Reichenbach waterfall. Many characters from the stories appear. Wonderful, would go for second just like the first one.

kid-glove
1st January 2012, 07:17 PM
The Kid with a bike

- After what could be called as brief period of 'lullness' (or silence, Lorna's for all you care), Dardennes back to what they do best, their best since L'Enfant. Easily one of the films of the year.

Arvind Srinivasan
3rd January 2012, 07:56 AM
With regards to Sherlock holmes 2 I was little disappointed with Stephen Fry....I expected a lot more from him.....thought he was wasted.......but downey made up for it.....this guy just has an amazing charm....

groucho070
3rd January 2012, 08:45 AM
Actually Mycroft screentime is more than I expected. And he travels!!!!

Arvind Srinivasan
3rd January 2012, 09:01 AM
But its just that i expected fry to get much more and that in certain films i look forward for a supporting artists role than the main ones themselves......any case the movie was very entertaining.....will look forward for fry's role in 'the hobbit'

Sunil_M88
3rd January 2012, 07:13 PM
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

Enjoyed it :)

WRT Anil Kapoor. Yes, he was wasted in the film. Conversely if some other actor done this role his image would have severely been tampered. Anil Kapoor pulled off his part well and I think the comedy was intentional, ref. to Biwi No. 1 (remake of Tamil movie Sathi Leelavathi), No Entry (loosely based on Tamil movie Charlie Chaplin) and Welcome. My fav. comic role of his was from Tashan. :rotfl3: comic timing :clap: I still have the same respect for him as I did before.

Best scene

Entering the Kremlin.
The Burj Khalifa. Tom Cruise :clap:

Simon Pegg as the French waiter.

Flaws

Some transitions were damn right silly.

I thought the India portion was shot in Mumbai, but there was a lot of Kannada script :???:

rajkumarc
4th January 2012, 03:01 AM
Watched MI4 and I liked it. It's my favorite among the 4 MIs. However, the Bourne series still ranks above any of the MIs IMO. I find that more entertaining and captivating than MI.

Need to catch Sherlock Holmes2, I liked version 1. I am addicted to Jeremy Brett's portrayal of Sherlock Holmes in the British TV production and can never get that out of my mind (love the stunning title score and visuals). I thought Brett played the role of Holmes to near perfection closer to that of Sir Doyle's portrayal in the book.

littlemaster1982
4th January 2012, 08:43 AM
I thought the India portion was shot in Mumbai, but there was a lot of Kannada script :???:

They shot hardly 3-4 mins of screen time in Mumbai. The scenes inside the satellite TV network were taken inside Mantri Mall, Bangalore. And the final parking lot fight was shot in Vancouver.

Arvind Srinivasan
4th January 2012, 10:02 AM
At last got a ticket for Tinker Tailor soldier spy for today....Was full for the entire weekend in both sathyam and pvr.....

Arvind Srinivasan
5th January 2012, 07:33 AM
TTSS....brilliant.....
One of the best i have seen in the past few months.....gary oldman, colin firth and tom hardy were all excellent........

groucho070
5th January 2012, 07:42 AM
Good for you, Arvind. Not showing here :sad:

NOV
5th January 2012, 07:43 AM
They shot hardly 3-4 mins of screen time in Mumbai. The scenes inside the satellite TV network were taken inside Mantri Mall, Bangalore. And the final parking lot fight was shot in Vancouver.and the tv station shots, in Chennai :p

Arvind Srinivasan
5th January 2012, 07:46 AM
They are gonna shortly remove the movie from theaters groucho.I was a little lucky...got the last ticket for the show.........considering the audience reaction cant see a much bigger run than the the movie.....Surprised thought the movie's still to be released in malaysia......

groucho070
5th January 2012, 07:49 AM
Ingga Sherlock Holmes 2 pArthu, they didn't get half of the humour, and the bugger in front of me was dozing off with his head leaning towards the aisle (took aisle seat). Intha moonjinggala nambi TTSS poduvangganggurIngga?

NOV
5th January 2012, 07:53 AM
Rakesh generalising? :shock:

(I loved SH2) 8-)

littlemaster1982
5th January 2012, 08:26 AM
and the tv station shots, in Chennai :p

No, it's Bangalore too.

Arvind Srinivasan
5th January 2012, 08:31 AM
^ groucho.....athu kooda parava illa.....inga enn pakthulla orkanthavan wikipedila kadhaiyya padichikkittu irunthaan......:lol:

NOV
5th January 2012, 08:34 AM
No, it's Bangalore too.it shows "SUN TV" very clearly :roll:

littlemaster1982
5th January 2012, 08:36 AM
it shows "SUN TV" very clearly :roll:

It's the SUN Network office in Bangalore.

NOV
5th January 2012, 08:40 AM
It's the SUN Network office in Bangalore.
The film climax scene was shot in Sun TV office, Chennai, India.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission:_Impossible_%E2%80%93_Ghost_Protocol

groucho070
5th January 2012, 08:41 AM
^ groucho.....athu kooda parava illa.....inga enn pakthulla orkanthavan wikipedila kadhaiyya padichikkittu irunthaan......:lol::lol: kAlam kettupOchu. They'll definitely release it in DVD, wait pannurEn.

NOV
5th January 2012, 08:42 AM
The shooting of the upcoming Hollywood film and the fourth in the ‘Mission Impossible’ series was shot inside the campus of the sprawling Sun Network’s office which also houses the office of Sun TV in Chennai. Sources at the shooting spot said that the sequence shot o the day formed the climax of the film Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol starring Tom Cruise in the lead.

more here: http://chennaionline.com/movies/cine-buzz/20115020055016/Mission-Impossible-4-shot-at-Sun-Networks-city-campus.col

littlemaster1982
5th January 2012, 08:55 AM
IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1229238/locations) doesn't list Chennai in filming locations. IMDB is a far credible source than Chennai online :p

kubrick
5th January 2012, 07:33 PM
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

I liked the movie but I understood only the main story beyond that there were so many questions which I don't know if they answered and I missed or they were all open to the audience. Even normally I have problems comprehending spy films which is the reason why I'm not a fan of Bond movies too, and this being a non-linear film with so many sub-plots it was way too confusing and intense. Definitely needs more viewings to grasp everything in the film. Appreciatable screenplay which has been cut in a way that more than dialogs the shots narrate the story forward.

Arvind Srinivasan
5th January 2012, 10:39 PM
The best thing about TTSS is that it warrants the viewers attention completely.....Even if you miss one scene it could cause you trouble understanding the movie....Moreover in some movies you could gauge as to whats going on by the reaction of the protagonist. But here smiley's ( protagonist) approach is cold and he gives the possibly the same reaction for any thing.....Even during the circus meetings he prefers to be the listeners type....He rarely gives an indication or any emotion there in the film and also to us viewers....

ajithfederer
5th January 2012, 10:48 PM
Manchi review. Nenu vethukovalisindhe cheppinaaru meeru.

kid-glove
6th January 2012, 08:07 PM
TTSS -

Late to the party, but still :clap:

For Le Carre fans & fans of mini-series, it's a wholly satisfying experience! But even as a standalone piece, it should have worked for most.

Oldman as the decidedly passive but extremely calculative Smiley hasn't disappointed. The walking style, thin upper-lip & thoughtful roll of eyes does remind one of the great Alec G. But both actors differ in many ways. It's with his voice that Oldman dictates his unreadable chess player of a character. Tomas adds a couple of scene of the lone Smiley uneasily swimming up & down the river, the sagging skin of old-age, matched by the simmering calmness of the river (70's England). It's perhaps the visual exposition of Smiley being essentially Anti-Bond. There are no carefully packed abs & beautifully stacked bikinis, no Hawaii/Barbados to look at. What we get though is trapped masculinity, of hot-war nostalgia, lost virility & closeted sexuality. As the lady says to Oldman, those times had past, with the war.

Now it's all left to a matter of preferences & orientation. It's of manners, in utmost rudimentary way. Disappointed that the film didn't have that extended ritual of the men in the room. The extravagant dressing sense of tinker, the boorishness of soldier, the less apparent snitchy nature of the tailor, etc. When Firth slams the door shut with his foot in Westerby sequence, I'd have thought they'd have used the other room sequences to contrast the change in behavior.

Love it when Tomas has fun, it's not like it should be stripped of meaning. When the fly bothers Guillam, Smiley observes, rolls the window, flushing it out without a fuss.

Speaking of Guillam (Like other men in the film, is slightly more vulnerable on the outside, unlike Carre's version of this character, played here by excellent Cumberbatch. Who leaves out the assured qualities of his Sherlock - Season 2, Episode 1 is out already btw!), one is in to the in-joke, Tinker Tailor Soldier Poorman Beggarman Gaymen. :lol2:

The spectacle boy (Prideaux's scout watcher!) in the mini-series looks like mini-Tomas Alfredson! Lol! This one is understandably less pronounced than in the series, unlike that expansive medium it's these sort of characters & extended moments that a feature film should dispense with.

And it's especially rewarding when a filmmaker sets a pace & tone from the first shot. The cafe scene (we see this in objective pov later, but again, it's so seamlessly fit) here doesn't seem flashy. In the change of setting (not just Czech -> Hungary, but also the military base), for a film that's set in the coldest of atmospheres & emptiness of non-war, it's this fat waiter who isn't particularly skilled & near-embarrassment that typifies the Spy-world. Not having men in military uniforms is a potent choice.

Smiley wages a war, to be sure. Like with all wars in the film, it's a personal one. His nemesis Karla isn't shown or heard (a wise choice. As much as I liked Patrick Stewart's muted cameo in the series). But the meeting is viscerally described by Smiley. In Oldman's behavior, it so seems like he regrets the words said to the tortured man. That the lighter with his 'Ann' engraved on, isn't only going to be kept a memento, but a tool to carefully toy around Smiley's emotions (which the uninitiated fans might gather in the end). The lost sense of perception in emotive state is a master move, but that'd also be the downfall of Karla's mole.

kubrick
7th January 2012, 12:06 PM
The best thing about TTSS is that it warrants the viewers attention completely.....Even if you miss one scene it could cause you trouble understanding the movie....Moreover in some movies you could gauge as to whats going on by the reaction of the protagonist. But here smiley's ( protagonist) approach is cold and he gives the possibly the same reaction for any thing.....Even during the circus meetings he prefers to be the listeners type....He rarely gives an indication or any emotion there in the film and also to us viewers....

I definitely have to watch it again. Preferably alone at home.

Arvind Srinivasan
11th January 2012, 02:05 AM
watching colin firth in TTSS made me watch Kings speech again.....wonderfully restrained performance in a role that could have been easily spoiled by some hamming.....

AravindMano
18th January 2012, 09:08 AM
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Mildly frustrated as I felt the film royally snubbed the uninitiated at many places - esp the first half hour(roomie slept off). I felt like chasing two express trains - one what is shown on screen and one what I had to infer. Add to it an overdose of elliptical narratives, a totally reordered time stack, subtle expressions and filler shots (that makes sense if you totally follow the film), the film could have been a disaster just because of the writers, but terrific film making saves the day. Mighty impressed with the direction and cinematography. The latter, in particular, is well worth the time spent.

littlemaster1982
21st January 2012, 07:37 AM
Killer Elite - decent action, but what the heck is that plot about :roll:

This post from IMDB sums it up,

Uh, let's see. Your orders are to kill three (or was it four) ex-SAS soldiers. Tough M.F.s. The kind of guys who won't just roll over and die without a fight. Only you don't just have to kill them. You have to make their deaths look like accidents. Even though they're dying one after the other and all are from the same regiment. Nobody's ever gonna notice that, right? AND before you kill them, you have to extract an on camera confession from them. That's all. Crikey - even James Bond would reject that one. And let's not forget the clock is ticking on how soon to get it done. It would have been easier for Statham to put together a merc team and go and break De Niro out of the sheik's prison compound. He seemed capable of almost doing it single handedly. I think he would clearly have taken that option rather than accept the ridiculous terms the sheik put on the table.

:lol:

kid-glove
21st January 2012, 01:22 PM
Descendants - not one of Payne's best. But worth watching. Clooney is terrific, but ultimately one is wary of Payne's lead protagonist and the motions he goes through. So rather predictable how it'd proceed. And the supporting characters were all quintessentially Paynesque.

kubrick
21st January 2012, 07:45 PM
Descendants - not one of Payne's best. But worth watching. Clooney is terrific, but ultimately one is wary of Payne's lead protagonist and the motions he goes through. So rather predictable how it'd proceed. And the supporting characters were all quintessentially Paynesque.

I hardly remember Sideways, the only other Payne I've watched, so I found Descendants to be great but too emotional for my taste. Definitely have to appreciate the way awkwardness is always around the corner. Clooney and the girl are extremely good. I dint understand certain inconsistencies in the film like the way Clooney runs to his & his wife's friend's place in a weird way when he clearly is a proper runner and even the elder daughter seems too sweet to have a past, which I understand to be a very brief one.

Winter's Bone

Jennifer Lawrence all the way. Every scene in this movie builds up and reaches an appaling end. Cinematography keeps up with the movie like a child trying to let out a secret before another.

kid-glove
22nd January 2012, 01:26 PM
It wasn't that emotional to me. Every emotion is at best a corollary derived to the clauses applied prior. Awkwardness, and wanting to add dimensions (even though certain supporting characters are dimensional in mechanical fashion, something that every filmmaker has to wrestle with ), is his forte.

The Elder one did well. Mourning inside the pool was terrific filmmaking, and very good acting. I don't know, but I'd really want to try that sometimes. Adolescence, obviously she's a lot less turbulent & revolting once she revealed the reason of her fall-out and indifference to the family. There's something for 'em as a UNIT (for the first time in their lives) to tackle with. Towards the end, they're all seated together. It's that 'moment' that we're taken into, what the future holds isn't really implied, isn't it?

Clooney's character made to run in a quirky manner? There's 'The American' Clooney, 'Syriana' Clooney, & there's 'Descendants' Clooney. Descendants one is a old 50-something rich widower, and I thought for a sedentary worker, his running style to be apt. Be it over the hair-pin bend slopes of the road, or the linear run across the sands of the beach. Of course, there's an element of humor in it. But it didn't seem out of place.

kid-glove
22nd January 2012, 01:54 PM
There's male. There's female. There's Hitchcock.There's Sirk. More importantly, & to the point, there's Almodovar. "The Skin I live in". That sounds a tad simplistic. But it's all justified & true. Banderas gives his A-game for Pedro like always, & astonishing Elena Anaya, embodying the interiors with her exteriors, versa to the vice of the film!

The 'Almodovar genre'. Don't pay attention to 'Sci-fi', not that he is going to embrace that aspect. Or maybe that's what Almodovar is set to do. The respect for physical & sexual in meta- terms, without particularly asphyxiating the power of singular identity, all done in psychological plane. The plain abstractness of mis-en-scene, but also loud expository expressionism in Vincente/Vera, done with suitable melancholy. It seems that the direction & writing is saddled with PA's concerns of the scientific sleight-of-hand being an active distraction. But one could never take the Hitchcock out of the man, that he sets out of to do two different halves with each having its own tonal qualities, the element of suspense & mystery of the unknown, and especially for this film, it's all very organic. You could borrow a pair of scissors from Antonio Banderas and incisively cut across the second act of the film, and you have it all surgically bifurcated.

kubrick
23rd January 2012, 12:55 AM
The Elder one did well. Mourning inside the pool was terrific filmmaking, and very good acting.

Oh yeah! That was one hell of a scene. Conceiving something like that is pure auteurism. There were many such shots in the film, one ex. is the staircase shot which was almost as surrealistic as a Bunuel or a Dali and those hovering plants over fabulous clouds shots were stunning. And after a long time I saw a wipe-out cut in contemporary cinema, I think the last time a film extensively used a wipe-out was 'Happy Feet'?

kid-glove
24th January 2012, 12:24 PM
Releasing in theaters next week, yeah?

I want to see "Coriolanus". But not finding time. Busy at work.

kid-glove
24th January 2012, 12:58 PM
Zizek on Coriolanus:

http://www.newstatesman.com/film/2011/12/coriolanus-freedom-play

David Haguland, more on the claim:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/movies/2012/01/coriolanus_why_did_t_s_eliot_love_it_so_much_.html

Masterful post by Bordwell on TTSS:

http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/2012/01/23/tinker-tailor-a-guide-for-the-perplexed/

AravindMano
25th January 2012, 08:36 AM
The Artist. What's all the hype about yA? Little charm here and there and a terrific performance from the lead, but as a film doesn't hold much. The reaction to the climax probably summarizes the reaction to the film itself - pleasure to watch, but, ஙே?, what's the point? Crowd (read six people in the theatre) seemed to like the film much.

I don't know much about Silent fillms, so probably I am missing something crucial - tribute to specific scenes etc., Anyway, நல்லா தெளிவா வசனம் பேசினாலே வர வர புரியமாட்டேங்குது (throwing a stare at TTSS).

wizzy
25th January 2012, 11:01 AM
^ you are not alone :lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/9020460/Cinema-goers-complain-that-Oscar-favourite-The-Artist-has-no-dialogue.html (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/9020460/Cinema-goers-complain-that-Oscar-favourite-The-Artist-has-no-dialogue.html)

kid-glove
25th January 2012, 11:06 AM
Yeah, good lead performances, great performance by the dog (a great year for canines). But otherwise, the kind of mediocrity that schmucks at Academy suck up to.

AravindMano
26th January 2012, 05:11 AM
^ you are not alone :lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/9020460/Cinema-goers-complain-that-Oscar-favourite-The-Artist-has-no-dialogue.html (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/9020460/Cinema-goers-complain-that-Oscar-favourite-The-Artist-has-no-dialogue.html)

#meta no? The hero asks the heroine once, "do you want refund?" on the day first talkie is released in the film.

Doc - yeah. MIP (yawn), Descendants (good), Artist has been watched so far from the nominees. Mallick innum pAkkalai (#facepalm). Anything else do you recommend?

Arvind Srinivasan
26th January 2012, 08:43 AM
just watched coriolanus....not very much convinced by ralph fiennes acting....while i could feel the pathos in his portrayal i felt it could have been a much more profound performance...felt the pre climax scene was the only scene where he comes into his own....

kid-glove
26th January 2012, 01:03 PM

#meta no? The hero asks the heroine once, "do you want refund?" on the day first talkie is released in the film.

Doc - yeah. MIP (yawn), Descendants (good), Artist has been watched so far from the nominees. Mallick innum pAkkalai (#facepalm). Anything else do you recommend?

Real Steel / Jack and Jill / Paul / The Three Musketeers

I'm kidding of course, but it'd not surprise me if those films made into QT's year-end list. Actually, Real Steel is rather okay.

I liked Senna, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, A Kid with a bike, Once upon a time in Anatolia, We need to talk about Kevin, Beginners, A Separation, The Skin I live in, Sleeping beauty, MI-4, Point blank, Warrior, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, Tin tin, Descendants, Moneyball

I hated Kill list, Hannah, Melancholia. Meh - Ides of March, Drive Carnage, War Horse.

Like-Meh in between (timepass): The Artist, 50-50

I don't really know where I stand on Tree of Life/ Turin Horse.

Slept right after first act of MiP.

Nerd
26th January 2012, 07:32 PM
How can people sleep through MiP but endure Tarkovsky et all? :lol: :confused2:

kid-glove
26th January 2012, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I slept through, or maybe 'in', Anatolia, Turin Horse. But OTOH Mip just cut out my consciousness. But I'm aware the problem is mine. (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?7287-Woody-Allen&p=771099&viewfull=1#post771099)

This is like asking how you didn't sleep through a test, but slept through a late night t20. It happens yeah.

---

Let me explain.

You have this montage of Paris. Maybe I've seen quite a lot of Ligue Un football, discussed with Algerian immigrants in Twitter, or maybe watched Point blank the night prior. It just bothered me that Paris was projected as this exotic, romantic haven. Cleansed out of poverty, and other day-to-day dangers. Know it's wrong, it's a WA film. And I'm seeing Paris as Owen Wilson's character saw it. In rich residential areas & posh cafes/restaurants. Travel & living style. Mind still drifted back to multiple universes within 'Paris, je t'aime', trying to recollect exact places and if there were any montages at all in that anthology used like this.

The montage didn't work as in Manhattan, maybe it's the distant cousin to the montage(s) in ESYILY (there it was used in conjecture with the changing seasons, in tune with the changing moods - didn't come out well though. ), we see Paris in that film too, no?

Then it's cut to..

Restaurant/food - check
Rich wife/in-laws - check
Slightly deluded ( not particularly successful, content) writer in urge of existential adventure - check
Slightly polarized (to-be)couple - check
Encounter with another couple, friction - check
The second couple perfect on outside - check
Wife of other couple not particularly good-looking, invariably the husband tries to impress rich Mrs. - check
Dick measuring intellectual contest between men - check
Distrust, ego, and polarization from one's (people &) reality - check

Then the car arrives. Heavy name-dropping, dense dialogues, all meta- of course. But my mind warped out to the black woman in the car, smoking cigarette with rich good-looking white men, and then he goes on to another bar(?!) where we see more rich white people, well dressed & enjoying cocktails. Couple of Extras from The Help, in posh period costumes. It seems WA is aware of criticism & made a few superficial touches. Suppose it could be construed to be ironic. At the time of watching it on laptop screen, to even think of historical/political terms in a surreal sequence, I don't know maybe something's wrong with me. Strangely for a WA film, it produced a variety of thoughts without engaging on its own. The period change, etc were OK. The moments, characters & conversations were all deja-vu galore (As you know, WA film, we sign up for it.) But for variety of reasons, it induced sleep. I mean, as someone who actually saw Resnais 'Duelle' twice within a week, it's a bit much. But that was sleep-inducing ride, at a more implicit level. This, I'm sure, when I watch it completely, I'd be more appreciative of the narrative tool employed by WA. But for the first act, for the first time I watched it, in aforementioned state, I was drifted out of it, not with it.

kid-glove
27th January 2012, 12:32 AM
Completed MiP. Niiice. Excellent transitiveness and it all came out well.

X-Men. 1st class. 1st rate for Fassbender alone. This man's going to be the next big thing. [uh, I didn't see Shame yet]

AravindMano
27th January 2012, 05:38 AM
Doc - thanks. The Skin I Live In i saw last year and admired. I started reading We Need To Talk About Kevin, it was terrific but had to return the book before I could finish it. Will watch the film definitely.

Nerd - Anxiety that you don't understand Tarkovsky will never let one sleep :lol:

kid-glove
28th January 2012, 03:36 PM
Haywire : Terrible lead performance (Spies are supposed to be good at deception, I thought) in a ridiculously dire plot, but it had to be that way I suppose. She also runs Damon close in playing 'blank', though M.Kane is no J.Bourne. But this isn't really about her, it's about subtle camera movements, near-static set-up & defined geography. Fassbender would make a good Bond :thumbsup: Ewan Mcgregor tries to instill oxygen into unidimensional character. We also see M.Douglas, Banderas, Channing Tatum.

The Girl with the dragon tattoo - Here's a filmmaker who could actually do with a spy movie. You almost forget this is at outset, a detective thriller, a whodunit. A psycho-sexual old-new investigative procedural. It's the cinematic equivalent of a page-turner. Despite being long, it prods along nicely. Didn't stutter. As for sexual violence itself, extreme disgust apart, Rooney Mara (a perfect one-note, actually now you realize that the hardened cipher of Noomi rapace is a necessary cop-out for the Swedish film) & direction didn't come off as titillating. Fincher frames her like a rodent, and Mara does produce an impressive animalistic performance. The chemistry & relationship does seem like an ideal male-fantasy in all adaptations. The romantic effusiveness aside, the relationship itself is as cryptic as Norton-Bonham Carter. Daniel Craig is persuasive as idealized journalist, best of intentions, wrongly disgraced, and Plummer could exude paternal grace, warmth & sadness in his sleep. Robin Wright seems a bit tired, Skarsgard produces an obvious performance in the pivotal role. The family & the island - I still believe Polanski would have done a far better job. The 'incident' being played back & forth, the photos put together in a film, multiple angles assembled etc - all in Fincher's ballpark, but didn't particularly have much for him to play around. In comparison to Graysmith in Zodiac & non-resolution, one would be more engaged by the contrast of Blomqvist to Salander & resolution to the different plots. Personally, I find it to be weakest of all the SK films, it has easy answers, and the questions not particularly interesting. (Fascism, New Sweden vs Old Sweden, Religion etc). But then that's no fault of Fincher, it's the source material.

kid-glove
28th January 2012, 08:22 PM
A Better Life

- Demian Bichir, Che's own Fidel Castro, is like a Mexican De Niro here. Terrific. Like Clooney in Descendants, the emotional 'high's were well placed, to bait any jury.

Also we've known how independent films on immigration get a nice buildup in awards season. I could think of Jenkins in Visitor.

In some ways though, this is like this year's Biutiful. Very well played role, but the role itself is ready-made for the emotional purging.

kid-glove
31st January 2012, 09:33 PM
Elena

- What a film! With that, I hope all the Tarkovsky parallels (well earned by Return & Banishment) are put to bed. And he truly exposits as much with the dead Tarkovskian symbol.

ajithfederer
1st February 2012, 01:39 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/375301_318606308168617_132187376810512_1208012_796 764411_n.jpg

For groucho bro, from AN fb page.

kid-glove
3rd February 2012, 11:46 AM
:thumbsup:

Saw "Take Shelter", what a gripping performer is this Michael Shannon. Jeff Nichols tops his earlier 'Shotgun stories'(Shannon excellent here as well) in lofty ambitions of post-apocalyptic 'indie flick', and he pulls it off. Quite subversive in its mini-genres. In fact, it's a film that transcends that limiting term 'genre'. Jessica Chastain, enchanting, beautiful & talented.

groucho070
3rd February 2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks Stan, nAn antha scene-a thAn sonnen. It was cut out of the original, and I didn't like it appearing in Redux. Originals are perfect no matter how the original director tries to tinker with their old products ( I am looking at you George Lucas, mavanE!)

groucho070
3rd February 2012, 12:40 PM
One reason Woody Allen started to bore me, in revisits I mean, and subsequently his latest releases. Martin Scorcese. His take on New York (Mean Streets, Taxi Driver) vs Woodsters (all of dem Noo Yawk pictures).

kid-glove
4th February 2012, 08:48 AM
And... Spike Lee/Coppola/Lumet..

kid-glove
4th February 2012, 08:49 AM
Win-Win. Mccarthy makes another 'visitor' film, easily his weakest but still a enjoyable yawn like Giamatti's uneasy & uncontrollable grin

Saai
4th February 2012, 02:28 PM
Midnight run..Top entertainer..

Deniro is the man..

kubrick
4th February 2012, 11:23 PM
Four Rooms

Somehow I never watched this film until today and the DVD in which I have the film states 6th June 09. May be I just wanted to have one QT film which needs to be watched. Now I have none. Loved the 1st and the last segments. 1st one was very hot for some reason, not just the nudity something else just kept entertaining me. :P

The last segment which was very obvious that it was directed by QT (which I dint know prior) was a riot. The last one minute monologue was better than the best chase scene I've watched. And the usual neglection of the actual subject and it getting just two-shots in the entire section was so Tarantino. In the 'misbehavers' segment the little girl was very cool inspite of her grown-up attitude. But except for QT's segment I dint find the movie that funny. It was certainly very entertaining but not that funny.

Nerd
5th February 2012, 11:06 PM
The descendants on big screen. Very nice. Works mainly because of the performances. Clooney and Ms. Woodley were fantastic. In fact this film should bag all the best acting ensemble awards. Set of interesting characters/events around a dying woman. Fascinating at places, quite warm in a few and a little boring in a few. Loved the film.

Sid_316
6th February 2012, 12:04 AM
The descendants on big screen. Very nice. Works mainly because of the performances. Clooney and Ms. Woodley were fantastic. In fact this film should bag all the best acting ensemble awards. Set of interesting characters/events around a dying woman. Fascinating at places, quite warm in a few and a little boring in a few. Loved the film.

Liked it a lot :thumbsup:. One of the better movies of this year

ajithfederer
6th February 2012, 12:02 PM
Have to see the descendants. It is running over here.

ecureuhapis
8th February 2012, 04:39 PM
Living Daylights - 4/5 Fantastic. My fav Bond movie in last 30 years. had really nice locations and action sequences. certainly much better than the tame versions from Moore era.

2nd fav in 30 yrs?? License to Kill.. Dalton was a terrific bond.

AravindMano
9th February 2012, 04:54 AM
The Grey. Good. Not in a mood to investigate any angles, metaphysical, metaphors etc., It seems there was a three second shot AFTER the end credits and I missed it as I was hurrying for offshore call. It seems that shot is also very metaphorical. (Even me leaving before that shot is also some metaphor it seems). Feel very betrayed that I am not thinking about this film at all.

But yeah, good film.

wizzy
13th February 2012, 10:47 AM
50/50..was pleasantly surprised by this movie..to take up a plot beaten to the pulp and still to come out triumphs deserves a :clap: JGL show all the way..in some places I found his character a lot similar to 500 days of summer..only actor who could play dud with such aplomb :-) Seth Rogen provides much of the comic relief..always hated this guy for being casted as idea mani. I would rate the soundtrack best of the year and the studio hasn't released it yet :evil: some good soul has created a playlist..the song compilation is as good as Garden State.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9C34836C6547B97F

ajaybaskar
13th February 2012, 01:40 PM
Loved the pre-operation scene in 50/50. Touching!!

ajithfederer
14th February 2012, 03:06 PM
The roommate in sony pic. Paravala. The original Single white female was quite okay too. Leighton Meester - What a beauty young girl. Gosh I love psychotic gaels :yes: :exactly:

AravindMano
18th February 2012, 09:46 AM
The Discreet Charm Of Bourgeoisie. Whatay ya! I didn't get most of the film but just the pleasure of watching - the setting, the people and the situations. Will watch this again many times and watch all this guy's films.

ajithfederer
18th February 2012, 11:42 AM
Schindler's List on Star Movies :clap:

First I was taken aback to see SM showing the film as in India everything gets chopped off on TV. It was quite painful to watch the film with so much cuts but still the film is fantastic. Excellent acting (by far among the best in Spielberg films) from Liam Neeson, Ben Kingsley and Ralph Fiennes as Amon Goeth. I so wanted to watch the last scene when Schindler leaves the factory for the fantastic score but was very sleepy by that time.

Now I am again in confusion as to which is better among this and the Pianist.

AravindMano
18th February 2012, 12:27 PM
Pianist avLo nalla padamA enna. nAn nallA thoongittEn pAkkum pOdhu.

kid-glove
18th February 2012, 12:44 PM
Super film, The Pianist.

Btw I saw Extremely long, and incredibly boring Stephen Daldry film. Plummer & the kid (who plays annoying kid without a fuss) :clap: Great score & some cute moments with monologue & cross cutting. Did I say cute? Let me shoot myself.

AravindMano
19th February 2012, 06:42 AM
Safe house. Plays too safe. Plays too predictable.

Siv.S
19th February 2012, 01:49 PM
Before the devil knows you're dead :clap: superb crime drama,Hoffman was awesome :bow:

Drive - Suthama pudikkala....Cheated by IMDB&Rotten rating...

VENKIRAJA
20th February 2012, 09:58 AM
Drive - Suthama pudikkala....Cheated by IMDB&Rotten rating...
en inamunga neer :wink: :p

Prabo
21st February 2012, 12:53 AM
Being John Malkovich - Wierd....wierd movie, but interesting :thumbsup:

Arvind Srinivasan
25th February 2012, 11:02 AM
Moneyball- The movie rests primarily on the performance of the two main leads- Brad Pitt and jonah hill. Beane is the big talented guy still frustrated by never making it to the top; Brand is the smartest guy in the room who has always been too inconspicuous for anyone to notice.Hill's deadpan demeanor contrasts beautifully with Pitt's passion, and the film is completely enjoyable when they share the screen.When they dont the movie seems to drift. Take for example the overtly extensive flashback shots of beane's career.

AravindMano
26th February 2012, 12:52 PM
The Banishment. Great. Somehow felt betrayed by the ending, but I think it's my problem and not the film's. A bit too much of biblical references. Another one to be re-watched and read.

What atmosphere. What tension. What cinematography. Marvelous.

kid-glove
28th February 2012, 11:33 AM
Certainly his weakest film (& yet one of the strongest among his contemporaries), do watch The Return (his masterpiece) & Elena!

ajaybaskar
28th February 2012, 11:45 AM
Before the devil knows you're dead :clap: superb crime drama,Hoffman was awesome :bow:

My favourite too. :)

Siv.S
28th February 2012, 11:50 AM
Nine Queens (Nueve reinas) - :clap: Very clever thriller....twist at the end is superbly done ... even without that twist i would have still enjoyed the movie..... but its the twist made the film clever :thumbsup:

Halfway thorough the movie wife told me that there is a malayalam movie with the same story, Gulumaal the escape, they have not given any credit to this argentina movie....

kid-glove
28th February 2012, 11:57 AM
Nine Queens (Nueve reinas) - :clap: Very clever thriller....twist at the end is superbly done ... even without that twist i would have still enjoyed the movie..... but its the twist made the film clever :thumbsup:

Halfway thorough the movie wife told me that there is a malayalam movie with the same story, Gulumaal the escape, they have not given any credit to this argentina movie....

Terrific actor, the conned man. He also starred in the director (RIP)'s second & final film, The Aura, which I seem to prefer for the tonal qualities & aura of the woods. There's a much more subtle twist with more louder implications in The Aura.

kid-glove
28th February 2012, 11:58 AM
"Before the devil.."
Albert Finney was my favorite. But Hoffman, Marisa Tomei (who lets her whole body act, again), Shannon, everyone pretty great.

But other than that, did anyone feel Lumet got exposed by multi-angled gimmickry (it didn't service much).

I found WA's "Cassandra's dream" (similar subject of filial tragedy) to be just as flawed, but for entirely different reasons.

If I were to revisit, I'd probably avoid latter more for Philip Glass score alone. :twisted:

Siv.S
28th February 2012, 12:12 PM
Terrific actor, the conned man. He also starred in the director (RIP)'s second & final film, The Aura, which I seem to prefer for the tonal qualities & aura of the woods. There's a much more subtle twist with more louder implications in The Aura.
Yes he is.... he was excellent in last year oscar winner The secret in thier eyes ...I have this "the aura " .. but yet to watch it...

kid-glove
28th February 2012, 12:21 PM
I liked "The Secret in their eyes" for that brilliant stadium scene (although that the scene did feel like a sharp noise to tone of rest of the film). And they (this guy & the actress) really conveyed a lot in their eyes, didn't they.

Siv.S
28th February 2012, 12:41 PM
I liked "The Secret in their eyes" for that brilliant stadium scene (although that the scene did feel like a sharp noise to tone of rest of the film). And they (this guy & the actress) really conveyed a lot in their eyes, didn't they.
ha ha yes...I loved eveyone's performance.. his drunkard friend,the antagonist who run into the stadium,the victim's husband.. everyone done a great job.. but yes the pair given the life to the title as u said :D

Dilbert
4th March 2012, 12:32 PM
HUGO and SUPER 8 2 brilliant movies

Balaji.r
5th March 2012, 01:11 AM
Princess Mononoke: brilliant, enjoyed this movie alot.

AravindMano
5th March 2012, 09:18 AM
Certainly his weakest film (& yet one of the strongest among his contemporaries), do watch The Return (his masterpiece) & Elena!

Sure. The Return already done. Marked as one of top ten of last decade in your thread.

AravindMano
5th March 2012, 09:21 AM
A Separation. Much about the film has been said already. indha irAn-kAranga kudikkRa thaNNila appadi enna irukkunnEn?

And "This Is Not A Film" was also playing on the adjacent screen. enna paNRadhunnE therila.

wizzy
5th March 2012, 10:37 AM
PBS doc on Woody...some never seen footage..especially the ones from this stand up days/editing room..the first part covers much of his significant works hence the second part seemed a bit rushed and we can safely conclude from this doc that he absolutely abhors Manhattan/C&M :lol:

P_R
5th March 2012, 11:34 AM
Hmm..
Manhattan already known. He even offered to make another film for free if the studio agreed to not release this one. remba personalA pOyittArO?
C&M also.... :-( Why?

P_R
5th March 2012, 11:41 AM
Hmm..
Manhattan already known. He even offered to make another film for free if the studio agreed to not release this one. remba personalA pOyittArO?
C&M also.... :-( Why?

wizzy
5th March 2012, 11:50 AM
^he sounded almost apologetic about some of his movies..on C&M he wanted the story to travel entirely on Judah/morality..felt his part was a compromise to lighten up the script.

P_R
5th March 2012, 12:00 PM
Hmm methought it lightened and contrasted. He talks about it like it could have been blown off and the film would've been the better for it. It makes me cringe because it challenges my appreciation of the film.

'Moral quagmires are for the simple guys, I can handle it' type outlook is similar to the superiority, condescension of Allen's character (punctured by Alan Alda quoting poetry). sari vidunga, idhu paththi niRaiya pEsittEn.

vayasaan kaalathula pEtti kuduththukkittu...Benigni film release immediat.

kid-glove
5th March 2012, 12:07 PM
I go with WA. :lol2: It's a flawed 'contrast'.

P_R
5th March 2012, 12:11 PM
Author is dead. He has no business giving interviews :twisted:

AravindMano
7th March 2012, 07:11 AM
The Kid With A Bike. :clap: Very understated that the greatness might be missed by many.

Kid in this forum, qostins for you.

1) What other films of this director-writer should I be watching?
2) Did you like the way the robbery subplot ended - the fall from the tree and all that? I loved it. I think that moment made the film for me.
3) Do you have a bike?

Thank you.

ajaybaskar
7th March 2012, 08:39 AM
Serpico

Hard to believe that such a film was made 40 years back. Vintage stuff!! My respect for Al Pacino only grows with the day. My second Lumet film after 'Before the devil knows you are dead'. Any other recos?

groucho070
7th March 2012, 08:43 AM
Ajay, I yam big Lumet fan. Another Lumet/Pacino = Dog Day Afternoon. Other Lumets appAla pesikkalAm.

groucho070
7th March 2012, 08:46 AM
But not sure you will like the total lack of background score in DDA. Anyway, its an example on how you don't need music. I am a big champion of this cause for Indian movies.

ajaybaskar
7th March 2012, 08:53 AM
Oh ok. Then Serpico is my third Lumet film. I have watched DDA. :noteeth:

Balaji.r
7th March 2012, 08:53 AM
Serpico

Hard to believe that such a film was made 40 years back. Vintage stuff!! My respect for Al Pacino only grows with the day. My second Lumet film after 'Before the devil knows you are dead'. Any other recos?

12 Angry men. Never got tired of this movie.
Network
D.D.Afternoon

you might be interested in, L'enfant/ child.

groucho070
7th March 2012, 08:59 AM
Oh ok. Then Serpico is my third Lumet film. I have watched DDA. :noteeth:Go to imdb and check out his list. The films I have watched and loved:
12 Angry Men
The Hill (Sean Connery's best)
The Anderson Tapes (Sean Connery again)
Fail Safe (serious version of Dr. Strangelove)
The Offence (wait, this is Connery's bestest best)
Family Business (actually not bad, also with Connery and Hoffman...Dustin)
Nightfall on Manhattan (Garcia's best after GF3)

I still haven't watched Network, but that's a must. And Prince of the city.

P_R
7th March 2012, 11:48 AM
I have seen 12 Angry Men and Network - liked them both a lot.
I even liked Murder on the Orient Express.

I have seen Dog Day Afternoon.

groucho070
7th March 2012, 11:58 AM
Didn't like Murder on the Orient Express. Not a fan of Agatha Christie, nor was I too impressed with the film despite the cast (Connery hangs around a lot in the background).

P_R
7th March 2012, 12:13 PM
I recommended Network to an colleague. He liked it and of his own accord d/l'ed DDA and ended up liking it too.
kittaththatta saNdai aayiduchchu. eppadi unakku andhappadam pidikkalaam-nu.
Then he recommended Jarmusch to me. :-|
sari, payyan eppadippattavan-nu purinjiruchchu. appadiyE vittuttEn. Let us part as friends-nu.

groucho070
7th March 2012, 12:32 PM
More normal transition from Lumet's films would be Norman Jewison's films (Alan Pakula another one). Jewison's ...And Justice For All for Pacino fans.

kid-glove
8th March 2012, 12:03 PM
The Kid With A Bike. :clap: Very understated that the greatness might be missed by many.

Kid in this forum, qostins for you.

2) Did you like the way the robbery subplot ended - the fall from the tree and all that? I loved it. I think that moment made the film for me.
3) Do you have a bike?

Thank you.

1) Rosetta, L'Enfant, Le Fils, followed by The Promise & Lorna's Silence
2) I liked the robbery episode (the word 'subplot' seems a tad contrived for the Dardenne genre). Like you, the 'moment' made the film. We are in that moment. We understand the complexity of the scene and yet, it's so ridiculously sliced from life, that you find the expression 'slice of life' bastardized elsewhere. The dangers of childhood & of the child, put in to context by parenthood & of the parent, is a recurring theme in their oeuvre, but never at expense of the true-to-life narrative & the singular 'ironic' feeling, the direful & desperate tendencies of the characters who would be reduced to stereotypes in any other hands. There's no annoyance or degradation, only empathy & understanding. Just indulge with the moment, never judge.
3) I did. Did you? But It never had any meaning to me. But to the kid here, it's the only ever material possession he had, that a kid of his age would have faulted it to be more than just utilitarian, an emotional belonging. And this kid's turbulent, destitute nature feels associative with the bike & movement. Ultimately when he lets her ride it, it feels like a big moment.. I heart Dardennes.

SoftSword
8th March 2012, 04:47 PM
12 Angry Men

hey... enga kelavikkum murukku suda theriyum...
naanum watchinaen... arumai...
could not resist thinking abt andha naal, b/w, crime investigation, different perspectives the reason... dono if there was any inspiration drawn...
the character who bursts out towards the climax thinking abt his wayward son... his face has all the characteristics of being a tamil actor :)
engayo paattha madhiri irundhaar...

AravindMano
9th March 2012, 04:56 AM
1) Rosetta, L'Enfant, Le Fils, followed by The Promise & Lorna's Silence
2) I liked the robbery episode (the word 'subplot' seems a tad contrived for the Dardenne genre). Like you, the 'moment' made the film. We are in that moment. We understand the complexity of the scene and yet, it's so ridiculously sliced from life, that you find the expression 'slice of life' bastardized elsewhere. The dangers of childhood & of the child, put in to context by parenthood & of the parent, is a recurring theme in their oeuvre, but never at expense of the true-to-life narrative & the singular 'ironic' feeling, the direful & desperate tendencies of the characters who would be reduced to stereotypes in any other hands. There's no annoyance or degradation, only empathy & understanding. Just indulge with the moment, never judge.
3) I did. Did you? But It never had any meaning to me. But to the kid here, it's the only ever material possession he had, that a kid of his age would have faulted it to be more than just utilitarian, an emotional belonging. And this kid's turbulent, destitute nature feels associative with the bike & movement. Ultimately when he lets her ride it, it feels like a big moment.. I heart Dardennes.

:clap:

Dhanks, will watch the other films.

Oh I had a bike. No attachment at all. But other people were very scared thuough.

ajithfederer
13th March 2012, 06:21 PM
Watched The Vow. Just went in for Rachel Mcadams. Dry spell broken finally.

ajithfederer
16th March 2012, 07:57 PM
Wanted to post this yesterday. A grand 40 years have passed since the greatest film ever premiered on March 15th 2012. To the movie which made many take movies very seriously :bow:. http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/747735parrainI06.jpg

img4.hostingpics.net/pics/902822parrainI05.jpg

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQjt6esqxJd2QiKtC46Z0WNih_9qT6Ai kF2c209H1FTKo2o7syo

http://images.wikia.com/godfather/images/6/69/Vlcsnap-2010-02-24-17h38m47s195.png

http://highdefdiscnews.com/reviews/the_godfather/image3full.jpg

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQC8RcxOnWS7hLAQguTVWVgAsjXmEXUk-W0JofgpoU4RaDbkogl

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQjuBNj5JleUv8WJJYJHSizmbTk8Kit xdFWGyu0WtuYECXywsg

ajithfederer
16th March 2012, 08:07 PM
http://images.wikia.com/godfather/images/0/09/Vlcsnap-2010-02-24-19h13m23s190.png

http://images.wikia.com/godfather/images/a/af/Vlcsnap-2010-04-08-23h50m16s175.png

http://images.wikia.com/godfather/images/e/ee/Vlcsnap-2010-07-09-18h26m01s25.png

http://www.mugsters.com/images/AtTheMovies/AtTheMovies17.jpg

http://m.blog.hu/ma/mandiner/image/maffia.jpg

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/24200000/The-Godfather-the-godfather-trilogy-24296725-695-400.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/carlo%20rizzi%20death/supernintendochalmers69/baptism3.jpg

lydayaxobia493
16th March 2012, 08:20 PM
Moneyball...

Should be patient to see the whole movie... bt gud movie..

ajithfederer
27th March 2012, 10:29 AM
Can't understand what's happening with HW these days. :roll:

'Hunger Games' rakes in $152.5 million . 3rd best opening ever.

rajkumarc
27th March 2012, 11:04 AM
Watched Black Swan. Natalie Portman's performance was stunning. A gripping movie reflecting the state of the mind of someone who is so devoted to her art and eventually consumed by the role that she was so obsessed with to have it for herself. The Wrestler was directed by the same director. Planning to catch that sometime.

Nerd
1st April 2012, 11:21 PM
The Artist finally. On big screen. 3 bucks a piece :mrgreen:

Nallathaan irunch. The pacing, narrative, symbolism etc. worked very well. But something is missing ya feel. May be the 'soul'. The dog was fabulous, best character in the film. Dujardin was superb but annan DDL would have made it even more memorable. Or nadigar thilagam of the early-mid 50s.

Prabo
4th April 2012, 10:42 PM
The Artist finally. On big screen. 3 bucks a piece :mrgreen:

Nallathaan irunch. The pacing, narrative, symbolism etc. worked very well. But something is missing ya feel. May be the 'soul'. The dog was fabulous, best character in the film. Dujardin was superb but annan DDL would have made it even more memorable. Or nadigar thilagam of the early-mid 50s.

Watched TWBB sometime back, during the milkshake and straw scene, for a moment nadigar thilagam crossed my mind.....

I read somewhere that DDL is busy living like Abe Lincoln for sometime now :-D

kid-glove
4th April 2012, 11:56 PM
Exactly. DDL should be doing L'Artiste and not NINE. Maybe he's also not a meesical like me..

groucho070
5th April 2012, 07:06 AM
I read somewhere that DDL is busy living like Abe Lincoln for sometime now :-DkOdaliyum kaiyumA alainjikittirukkArO?

Nerd
5th April 2012, 06:55 PM
But DDL (and NT)-kku daanssu varumaa? The climax dance was minnndublowing in The Artist.

kid-glove
5th April 2012, 07:05 PM
Andha level'lam varradhu, but edho konjam try pannirukkaaru NINE'la

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpqM4nPrDXM

Sid_316
8th April 2012, 01:19 PM
Shame. Micheal Fassbender :thumbsup: Thanks k-g for tweeting about this movie. Haunting stuff.

groucho070
12th April 2012, 07:27 AM
The Great Train Robbery (1978) revisit.

Connery, Sutherland, great combination. People remember Michael Chrichton as the guy who wrote Jurassic Park, but he was already an established writer, and director back then.

At one time I wondered aloud, "Why can't they make movies like this anymore?", to which I shut myself up by saying, "hmm...because they already did?".

ajaybaskar
12th April 2012, 09:42 AM
The Hunger Games

Good one. Liked Ross' 'Seabiscuit'. So placed my bet on this one. Not disappointed.

lydayaxobia493
12th April 2012, 10:52 AM
The Hunger Games

Good one. Liked Ross' 'Seabiscuit'. So placed my bet on this one. Not disappointed.

nalla padam thaan..Did u c the hindi movie "Luck"... more or less, same story...

wizzy
15th April 2012, 07:10 PM
The Intouchables.. d/w it as a part of movie pack..surprisingly good..director plays it clever and you don't mind the cliches which comes with the subject..eppovae hollywood/bollywood remakes pechu adipaduthu :banghead: hopefully this won't get butchered..vaazhga French cinema :thumbsup:

Querida
16th April 2012, 11:30 AM
Hunger Games - not bad...though am reluctant about the whole trilogy as movies...let's see...

lydayaxobia493
21st April 2012, 12:05 PM
BATTLESHIP...-- Excellent movie..

When i saw first 20 min, i thought i came for a diff. movie..:huh:

after tat, movie is geared to my expectation.. its purely adopted frm the video game "Battleship"

Heroine :swinghead: ;)

AravindMano
22nd April 2012, 07:59 AM
Submarine. Delightful. Another coming of age story, but very creative, very original and very very hilarious. I had few issues during Act 2 that the story didn't really build up, but this is a solid film that I find tough to dislike.

P_R
22nd April 2012, 08:19 AM
The Talented Mr.Ripley
Whatay lovely.

Ending konjam wordiness kammiyA irundhirukkalaam. But I won't complain.

Paltrow :bow:
Damor-Law :clap:
Flip Seymoor Hoffman :clap: (ivvaLavu loud-A irundhA dhaan ivar performance pudikkudhu. Much heralded Magnolia, Lebowski, Capote ellAm enakku okay only. Synecdoche - enakku edhu pudikkalaiyO naan thoongiruvEn)

Plot heaviness-ai kammi paNNi ammoorla kooda indha kadhaiyai try paNNalaam

Many 'pure cinema' range moments also.

Comfortably trumps Englis Patients simply because the basic material is so much better.

The Damon-Blanchett romance itself just fantastic :bow:

Overall...innum konjam depthA, subtle-A iRangi irukkalaamO?

Alter ego: purinjA ippadi solluvE, puriyalainnA thittuve....pOda dei

kid-glove
22nd April 2012, 12:16 PM
Boring film. Boring phlow.

ajithfederer
22nd April 2012, 12:37 PM
:rotfl:

kid-glove
22nd April 2012, 03:01 PM
The Grey - first 30 minutes :thumbsup:

ajaybaskar
22nd April 2012, 03:22 PM
Yes. The first half an hour was awesome

Nerd
22nd April 2012, 10:38 PM
Submarine. Delightful. Another coming of age story, but very creative, very original and very very hilarious. I had few issues during Act 2 that the story didn't really build up, but this is a solid film that I find tough to dislike.
Instand queue-la irukku. Paaththura vENdiyadhu dhaan :-)

P_R
23rd April 2012, 01:16 AM
Boring film. Boring phlow.Sammandham aNNan to Shemran: enakku pudikkumbOdhE theriyumnga ungaLukku pudikkAdhu-nnu
Boring phlow-vA? Truly Madly Deeply ellAm flim loueers aahaa oohoo aahaahO 'mbAingaLE?

Woody kitta indha kadhaiyai kuduththirundhA abAramA eduththiruppAr-nu thOnichchu.

The themes, the ideas, situations, characters, locations - all were good. The way he gets off the hook with the American detective reminded me of Match Point getting away with murder.
Ending became a little too plot heavy in twists. But it was always quite gripping. Hollywood B/O mind-la vachchukittAlE romba bore adikka mudiyAdhu. That insurance is there for us midbrow viewers.

:rotfl: enna sirippu rascel. karuththu sollunga.

ajithfederer
23rd April 2012, 10:35 AM

Illai naan innum andha padathai paakala aana ninga avvalo lengthy-aa ezhudhinadhai kg "No comments zimbly waste" madhiri post pannadhai paathu sirichen.

enna sirippu rascel. karuththu sollunga.

kid-glove
23rd April 2012, 11:12 AM
I meant boring fellow, See why misspelling is bad. Not you per se (it could be you too coz I am an impolite prick), but Damon is a boring dude. Just coz his name rhymes with the great Delon, you don't make him play Ripley. And 'Hollywood', Minghella prides himself to be art-house. Clement-Delon film is much more taut.

Yeah, I saw your Dorian Gray tweet. Edhukkum ungaloda jakkirathaiya irukkanum..

kid-glove
23rd April 2012, 11:35 AM
Yes. The first half an hour was awesome
I thought it's going to be mindless carnage. 4-0 down, but right at the death, Humans got 1 back. Still when it turned 1-9 in favor of wolves massively, it seemed a non-contest. But then like a oriental martial arts flick, he gets a last man(or animal) standing with the Alpha. Such a shame that we don't see the main event. After the credits, it's not quite clear whether he survived it but at least he took the m___f___ down with him. But it stays true to the lyric that pervades every molecule of the film's atmosphere, and even so bluntly framed on to the wall, 'live and die on this day'..

In the end, there seems to be a philosophical point. Brutality & Poetry in a most simplistic sense. Ultimately humble enough to be a survivalist genre film.

The film score was very Clint Mansell-esque, but used in a much more subtle way. That makes for a fantastic mood setting with the extreme freeze backdrop.

I also have "The Hunter" to watch. Hell yeah to 'Man vs Nature' genre! Pity though none will ever match the great John Carpenter. Dafoe though better than Neeson ain't no Kurt Russell.

P_R
23rd April 2012, 11:36 AM
I thought you meant the boring phlow for MinghellA.
Damon boring-A?? oru maadhiri nallA seyvaapla. I didn't see Invictus. I last saw him in Informant and liked him.
ellA role-um oru maadhiri orE mAdhiri irukkum. But Ripley is possibly his best thus far I've seen.

Clement-Delon film...haven't watched.

Yeah, I saw your Dorian Gray tweet. Edhukkum ungaloda jakkirathaiya irukkanum.. :lol: Moreover, yEzhu kazhudhai vayasAnappuramum ID kEkkuRainga :twisted:

ajithfederer
27th April 2012, 09:20 AM
Robert De Niro, Elizabeth McGovern, Jennifer Connelly and the Leone family will all attend Cannes for the Once Upon A Time In America restored screening! There will be an extra 25 minutes of footage based on Leone's first cut.

SoftSword
27th April 2012, 05:11 PM
watched red cliff 1 and 2...
abaaram... very intresting... very good music...

ps: :shock: seval sandai music is direct copy paste from this... gvp.... grr

lydayaxobia493
27th April 2012, 05:18 PM
Going to Avengers tomo nit show.. :smokesmile:

ajaybaskar
27th April 2012, 06:55 PM
The Avengers

Go for it ASAP. Awesome!!!

ajithfederer
27th April 2012, 07:42 PM
Django Unchained first look pics are available in IMDB.

SoftSword
27th April 2012, 07:49 PM
checked that in fb... never know it was dicap acting...

Balaji.r
27th April 2012, 08:20 PM
watched red cliff 1 and 2...
abaaram... very intresting... very good music...

ps: :shock: seval sandai music is direct copy paste from this... gvp.... grr

Red cliff 1 was top notch. Was thoroughly entertaining fare. Action choreography was superb. Tony and Takeshi :clap:

RC2 slips a bit. care could have been taken on C.Graphics.

SoftSword
27th April 2012, 08:57 PM
ya... rc1 the land battle strategy was awesome... rc2 was good too... as u say maybe the graphics were below par...

i liked both as i warched them in consequent days...

i was more surprised at the production values being a non holluwood movie...

ajaybaskar
28th April 2012, 08:02 AM
Spoiler Alert: The Avengers - Alternate Ending (http://i49.tinypic.com/2w5kcw0.jpg)

Dilbert
28th April 2012, 10:59 AM
Never Laughed so much in longtime (last was Hangover Part I) watching a trailer..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxKfC77XAp8 :lol: .. He is one F*ing.. Ted

groucho070
30th April 2012, 08:28 AM
The Next Three Days.

OrukAlatthula, Brando, de Niro, Pacino varisiyile Russell Crowe-vum serthittirunthEn, but he was doing crap last decade. Here, he's good, but the role is below him. Interesting, if you can wait for the last half an hour.

Dilbert
30th April 2012, 10:10 AM
The Next Three Days.

OrukAlatthula, Brando, de Niro, Pacino varisiyile Russell Crowe-vum serthittirunthEn, but he was doing crap last decade. Here, he's good, but the role is below him. Interesting, if you can wait for the last half an hour.

sorry bhai,

For me last part was a big let down .. running to canada .. thatz the best they could do?

ajithfederer
30th April 2012, 10:13 AM
Venezuela i guess.

groucho070
30th April 2012, 10:41 AM
Canada, I think. Yeah, a let down. But antha range-la irukkura manusanukku avalavau thooram-thAn pOga mudiyin-pOla irukku. But its not that I liked, the suspense part, evading authority and all that was worth the wait. Plus I like Crowe, so the movie was watchable.

groucho070
30th April 2012, 10:46 AM
The Big Sleep (1978).

Finally, caught it on TV. Wanted to watch it since I got to know about it. Robert Mitchum sleepwalks, like sometimes, literally (no thanks to his smallish eyes). Too faithful to the novel, and looks terribly outdated for even a 70s flick.

My third screen Marlowe. More to go (including the 50s and 80s TV series...arrr...so difficult to get).

Arvind Srinivasan
1st May 2012, 08:23 AM
Avengers- Absolutely entertaining. Its worth every penny....Every superhero has his moment, but it is Ironman and the hulk who take the cake...

Sid_316
1st May 2012, 03:21 PM
Caught up with avengers too.. Not actually into these kind of super hero flicks so i found it a little boring now and then.. But iron man um hulk um :claps: made it entertaining!

Prabo
1st May 2012, 07:57 PM
Movie about worst director......was curious about the story and that too Johnny Depp in it.....wanted to watch it for long time.
Finally, caught up with Ed Wood....didn't expect the movie would be so enjoyable. Fun, one minute...tragic, nex minute...with neat performance, sound and visuals. Very good :thumbsup:

Johnny :clap: :clap: Martin Landau :clap:

Wondering who would be the worst director in Tamil cinema.....

ajithfederer
2nd May 2012, 09:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8evyE9TuYk

Harrowing enough Trailer. Nola(r)'s best yet!!!

groucho070
2nd May 2012, 09:22 AM
Okay, the best film of the year? Who knows...

rajkumarc
2nd May 2012, 11:02 AM
Mississippi Burning starring Gene Hackman, Willem Dafoe. The most striking movie about racism that I had watched so far. Gene Hackman's performance - :notworthy:

Arvind Srinivasan
2nd May 2012, 10:37 PM
Mississippi Burning starring Gene Hackman, Willem Dafoe. The most striking movie about racism that I had watched so far. Gene
Hackman's performance - :notworthy:

Only to be made into a horrendous remake by priyadarshan in hindi....Damn!! every time I try to revisit Mississippi Burning I get reminded of aakrosh.......Guess I made the mistake of watching the remake without knowing it was one.....

rajkumarc
2nd May 2012, 10:45 PM
Didn't know Aakrosh was a remake of Mississippi Burning... thanks Arvind, will stay away from it :smile:

ajaybaskar
2nd May 2012, 11:39 PM
Dont be afraid of the dark.

PADUMOKKAI.

Dilbert
3rd May 2012, 04:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8evyE9TuYk

Harrowing enough Trailer. Nola(r)'s best yet!!!

Now thats a teaser,trailer..lorry 24 wheeler.. :notworthy:

Grouch bhai... this year best movie will be "SKYFALL" :cool:

kid-glove
3rd May 2012, 12:42 PM
Batmobile & Bale :thumbsup: Hardy's eyes :thumbsup: Hathway set top box - meh! You see more of 500 days summer dude than Gary Freaking Oldman. Don't know if Gordon's retirement is good or bad. Maybe for the best considering Oldman's Gordon is restrictive in Nolan's hands.

On the down side, not quite riveted by visuals. Lot more screensavoury tease than seamless breathtake. Looks like there'd be more focused analogies & conclusions drawn here than Bigelow's Bin Laden flick. :yawn:

kid-glove
3rd May 2012, 12:45 PM
TDKR / Skyfall films of the year?

http://pinkie.ponychan.net/chan/files/src/133584321142.gif

Not with this year's mainstream lineup (both Weinstein, so don't knock 'em if they fill up Nods next Feb):

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2012/04/26/django-unchained-01.jpg

http://www.indiewire.com/static/dims4/INDIEWIRE/d8382b1/4102462740/thumbnail/680x478/http://d1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net/77/ceb9a0899311e1bcc4123138165f92/file/paul-thomas-andersons-the-master-5-things-learned.jpg

kid-glove
3rd May 2012, 12:49 PM
Hey Grouch, you saw the wrong Mitchum Marlowe. You should see Farewell my lovely. Mitchum was 4 years younger. And the snake eyes worked best here.

groucho070
3rd May 2012, 12:53 PM
Grouch bhai... this year best movie will be "SKYFALL" :cool:rombathAn. As long as that bitch M is around, none of the Bond will make it even in my top ten. Best movie, it seems. I am waiting for Bond 24.

Thilak, kedachathu avalavuthAn. I've know about the earlier one, where critics said Mitchum nailed it. Am sure everyone was on board for paycheck here.

kid-glove
3rd May 2012, 12:53 PM
Speaking of snake eyes, Leo just about passed the litmus test!
http://www.awardsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads//2012/04/django-unchained-official-leo.jpeg

Honestly feel for Leo as it's the year of

http://images.fandango.com/MDCsite/images/featured/201112/lincoln_daniel_day_lewis_lincoln_full_188x188.jpg

groucho070
3rd May 2012, 12:55 PM
Jeez, Leo-vA athu? I thought I was looking at Lee Van Cleef!!

kid-glove
3rd May 2012, 01:06 PM
Yes. about time he stopped doing a KH, that is playing a widower, wailing over the dead wife's body or wife's dead body. Whatever.

groucho070
3rd May 2012, 01:12 PM
He will definitely get my attention if he goes full badass, evil. Get out of Scorcese's lot, man, that was reserved for De Niro and is now handicap parking. :mrgreen:

kid-glove
3rd May 2012, 01:19 PM
Leo's awesome when he is playing himself #Celebrity

groucho070
3rd May 2012, 02:09 PM
You betcha.

Waitafrickin'minute (looking at Django cast) Kurt Bloody Russell in it???????????? I want to watch it now, now, now!!!! :cry2:

kid-glove
3rd May 2012, 02:17 PM
Btw #closebutnocigar to JC for attempting to make Titanic characters more 3-dimensional. Jack & Rose still the most annoying couple ever. Hope Leo never acts with Winslet ever again. Oddest couple ever. Hence why they were well cast in Revolutionary Road.

Rather watch Ambuli 3-D..

groucho070
3rd May 2012, 02:21 PM
Only person I was rooting for in Titanic was Billy Zane. Ambuli 3D :lol2:

So, this will be his nod towards Spaghetti Western eh...I know that by the end I feel something is missing, someone, that man with no name....(insert your fav Moricone tune here).

kid-glove
3rd May 2012, 02:38 PM
Oh that reminds me, Man with no name lame attempts to make Leo gay for TSN twin dude in Edgar. Leo needed someone like Thewlis & Clint's no Holland.

groucho070
3rd May 2012, 02:51 PM
I didn't watch that. You know I like him as actor, and director of the actor Clint Eastwood. Mathapadi, as director I think he's a bit overrated. Subject like Edgar belongs to someone like Oliver Stone, pinni pedal eduttirupAr, and he already showed something in JFK.

kid-glove
3rd May 2012, 08:58 PM
What? Clint's a solid filmmaker mate. Agreed though his best films had him as the lead character.

O.Stone is overrated, I feel.

DLB could have gone with Gus Van Sant again. Would have nearly worked like Milk.

SoftSword
4th May 2012, 07:46 PM
memories of murder..

nammaalunga ivlo dhairiyamaa padattha conclude panaama viduvaangalaa?
kaduppaayida maattaanga makkal?

ajaybaskar
4th May 2012, 07:49 PM
Sherlock Holmes 2

Not as engaging as the first part. But still good.

SoftSword
4th May 2012, 08:07 PM
even i watched sh two days before... nallaa irunchu... indha storya namma heroes massaa pannalaam...

Balaji.r
5th May 2012, 05:01 AM
memories of murder..

nammaalunga ivlo dhairiyamaa padattha conclude panaama viduvaangalaa?
kaduppaayida maattaanga makkal?
'
Appadiyae go for zodaic movie

ajaybaskar
5th May 2012, 10:27 AM
Both MOM and Zodiac were based on real incidents IIRC.

ajithfederer
5th May 2012, 06:44 PM
:shock:

Yenga rendu perum Britees characters-nga (Read like idhu graamathu kadhai sir!!!).

even i watched sh two days before... nallaa irunchu... indha storya namma heroes massaa pannalaam...

ajaybaskar
5th May 2012, 06:52 PM
I think he meant the climax touch...

Dilbert
7th May 2012, 09:30 AM
Avengers.. good stuff ! as a marvel comic fan it was glee moment for me ! :thumbsup:
Characters were spot on Hulk, Captain America,Thor and Cheesy jr Ironman.
However climax visual effects / storyline was a big let down .. it was like seeing Transformers 3 allover again with superheros.
Aliens coming thru a portal crap :cry:

This movie did have its moments.. could have been better but I don't complain.

Major suprise for me was my candian ginger (crush) Cobie Smulders.. :slurp:

ajithfederer
7th May 2012, 09:31 AM
Ohh. She is Indeed sweet. How I met your mother(soora blade-u) konjam episodes paathadhukku ivanga dhan kaaranam.

Major suprise for me was my candian ginger (crush) Cobie Smulders.. :slurp:

Dilbert
7th May 2012, 09:39 AM
Ohh. She is Indeed sweet. How I met your mother(soora blade-u) konjam episodes paathadhukku ivanga dhan kaaranam.

Soora Blade-aa? ennachi AF? NPH is a live wire in most epsiodes... Very few I found boring.

Dilbert
7th May 2012, 09:49 AM
OH forgot to mention "A plenty of laughable humor" this was refreshing change from what we have seen in recent action flicks..

ajithfederer
7th May 2012, 09:51 AM
NPH Tries too hard. And blame it on CBS. Their Monday schedules put HIMYM in front of TAAHM which I am always eager to watch. So obviously i have to compare him with Sheen(which is unfair i know). Never had a liking for HIMYM. But he was good in the Harold and Kumar franchise.

Soora Blade-aa? ennachi AF? NPH is a live wire in most epsiodes... Very few I found boring.

groucho070
7th May 2012, 10:30 AM
Unknown (2011)

Very mediocre. Mix-up of plots from Frantic and Total Recall. I told wife that this is essentially Harrison Ford (emphasis on suspense), or Schwarzenegger (action, "Vhiere is my vaaif? I vant my vaaaaiif!" and punch the receptionist) type of films. Neeson looks out of place, but he's a fine actor and did what he can. Otherwise so and so, not as entertaining as his Taken.